Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: You see Costco be like, hey man, we don't sell.
Speaker 1: That, we don't sell that baby oil.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, look, don't be speaking on my name. Don't be speaking keep my name out your fucking mouth.
Speaker 1: I can't believe you tried to throw fucking uh Costco into the back.
Speaker 3: Costco is like, hold up, hold up, this shit you got going is not with us. That is true. To keep my name about your mouth.
Speaker 1: See if I if I was dead to rights and only lying about Costco could get me off, I would I would take the fall for Costco.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, what did Costco do to you?
Speaker 1: Except for Costco's Costco has done so much for me exactly, mostly provide me with olives.
Speaker 4: But you know, I feel like if there's somebody that you don't go after in America, it's Costco.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's it's it's the closest thing. We have Costco in the post office. Like that's what we have as like beloved institutions in this country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, yes, Like you what what have they done wrong except for provide to us everything that feeds our decadence? Like this is all this is, It's the most American thing, Like you know what I'm saying, like, Hey, you want some mayonnaise, why don't you get a drum of it?
Speaker 4: Personally, I don't. I don't enjoy going to Costco because the aisles are really high, and as a person who's very short, I'm like, this feels like a bad way to go, like the fear of this argument. M hmm. Plus it's just there's too many.
Speaker 2: Fucking people anywhere where you could buy some dickies and like you know, wild caught salmon in the same place. I'm like this, this is American man.
Speaker 4: I often just think about that man that got that shirt made of the sticker for the barcode for the rotisserie chicken. You know what I'm talking about? Yes, Okay, I think about I think about him quite often. Like I hope you're well, sir.
Speaker 3: It's a hero, bro Robert, we've been recording.
Speaker 4: This entire time. Are we keeping this Costco conversation? In I I.
Speaker 1: We're not allowed to cut the Costco conversation? Yeah, prop we're talking about the Jeffrey Epstein of the Philippines. His name is Apollo Cloid. Anyway, Cold Open's fucking done. Oh we're back, boy, we really just kind of dropped media res into this. Motherfucker didn't we didn't We Are the kids learning words like that anymore? Do they have that on the tiktoks? I assume if it's not on the tiktoks, the kids aren't learning it anymore. I've become one of those old men who's angry at the kids for not having read the same things I read when I was in high school, coming like the great Gadsby.
Speaker 2: I feel like you were a you've been you've been an old man since you're junior year of high school.
Speaker 1: It is, it is, yeah, it is, it is.
Speaker 3: I have nothing to say.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: My brother was like that.
Speaker 2: He was just like I was, like when he turned sixteen, we were like, you're forty. Yeah, you are a forty year old, sixteen year old mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think a lot of us are like that. And my knees have always been forty. Jason Petty, host of Hood Politics, also guest on Behind the Bastards Today. Prop Yeah, buddy, we go back a bit at this point. You and I have been friends friends for a spell, and this year, you know, I've called on you a couple of times for some real tough episodes, the Bobby Lee episodes, and the Thomas Jefferson episodes, not easy ones. And I was like, I want to do something fun for my friend Jason when he comes back on the show. We're not going to do, you know, some fucking slaveholding monster from American history. We're not going to do. You know, We're gonna We're gonna steer clear of the United States entirely. We're gonna do a fun one. I'm gonna find him like a nice cot beater or something. Anyway, I fucked up, and we're doing the Jeffrey Epstein of the Philippines. It was not Jeffrey Epstein. If it was just a guy named Jeffrey Epstein in the Philippines, that would be probably responsible of me.
Speaker 2: You just got me a ballique Bayon box of trash that you just brought over. That's shot out to all my penoise y'all, I'm gonna throw just tell y'all right now, my stepmom's Filipino.
Speaker 3: You know she's beside it. She's from Domaghetti.
Speaker 2: My best friend who I toured forever, DJ Fectol Rest in peace, Filipino. I'm from the part of town that's like a good forty percent Filipino, So there's gonna be a gang of Filipino jokes. I'm gonna drop in here.
Speaker 1: That's good, that's good.
Speaker 3: So many references that I'm gonna drop in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I yess yeah. Well, I guess there's nothing to do but get into it. The guy we're talking about today as a man, I'm gonna guess most Americans have not heard of, although he committed a decent number of his crimes in the United States. His name is Apollo Kiboloi, which I checked on Google. Right before this. I listened to two different pronunciation videos that both said it differently. Hopefully that's right. But I did just my background research here.
Speaker 3: We could call him, we could just call him the like weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, it is.
Speaker 1: This is finally an Apollo episode I've been wanting to do ever since a Greek man punched me out at a Delhi, I've been wanting to do an episode on men named Apollo. Unfortunately, this is not a Greek Apollo, nor does the name have anything to do with Greek mythology. That's a little bit weird at least it I don't think it does.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's not. The weird part is what happened right before you said that you got punched.
Speaker 3: Why you get.
Speaker 1: A lot of deli's So yeah, that's just what happens at a deli. If you're someone who feels about cured meats as strongly as I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like there's some sort of there's some sort of accidental insults you did.
Speaker 1: Oh it was purposeful.
Speaker 3: Oh never mind, Okay.
Speaker 1: No, he that his saying is wrong. Yeah, yeah, we had a scrap. So I'm not gonna say a whole lot about Jeffrey Epstein in these episodes. I bring this up because like that is what a lot of people write when they've been doing articles. As a spoiler, A bunch of shit blew up with Apollo very recently. His life has collapsed this year, and so when because his story is crazy, news media all around the world wants to cover it because it's just the kind of thing you got to cover. But because it's a Filipinos story and most people are not familiar with this guy. He's very famous within the Philippines, but most people are not familiar with this guy, you know, in other countries. The touchstone that the news has picked is he's the Jeffrey Epstein of the Philippines, and I can say, you know, look, that's a little bit you know, grow but also I want your clicks too, you know, I'm not too proud to go for those clicks. Right, Listen, listen, listen.
Speaker 2: When you can neatly package something that it may be a little rough around edges, I'm maybe cutting out a lot of factual things, but it's but it's a digestible pill.
Speaker 3: I'm with you, Yeah, absolutely with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's the way. And it's also there's something appropriate in terms of like we're never going to give Jeffrey the punishment that he deserved because he punched out early, but making his name like he really has in very short order. He's not like a Hitler level, but in terms of like name that is a recognizable shorthand for evil, he's gotten shockingly close in a very short period of time. You'd be like, yeah, that guy's a motherfucking Epstein. Everyone's like, oh, I know what you mean. Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally, I love it. He's a proper now now, you know, like, yeah, I love it. And that's appropriate, That's that's what he deserves. So wow, we Yeah, that's a reference. Was it's a it's a TV show kind of a game. Anyway, google it one day.
Speaker 3: Wow. We it's a fun time.
Speaker 1: I want to go to the Philippines, especially now that our former Bastards Pod alumni Uhrigo to Terte is no longer running things there. Always wanted to see it but haven't been. It doesn't enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad, my dad said he's gonna move with with with my stepmom to the Philippines.
Speaker 3: And I was like, brother, no, you not. I'm just looking at him, like, you're not leaving the city. Your dad, your dad, my dad?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad. I was like, Sir, I get it.
Speaker 3: I feel you. He's like, man, I'm retired.
Speaker 2: He's like, bro, we got it, son, we got Helsa. Guy like two cows. I was like, so you're gonna move to the Have.
Speaker 1: You taken care of a cow? Because he's not as fun as I was like, Dad, you from I grew up with a lot of cows and they are a mixed bag. You are a.
Speaker 3: City boy, Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're ready for the amount of poop you're gonna have to deal with. Great for heat, sir, this is a jungle. Yeah, anyway, So Apollo carry on. Kibbeloi was born on April twenty fifth, nineteen fifty, about you know, four years out from the end of the US withdrawal from the Philippines. Right, so you know, the World War two happens, right, Japan is like, hey, we'd like the Philippines, and the US is like, here's Douglas MacArthur. He'll stop you. And then Douglas MacArthur's like, no, I won't actually, And so Japan, Japan has the Philippines for a little while, and then we come back, right, and yeah, that's the that's the way it goes, you know, eventually we leave anyway. Kind of. So his hometown Apollos was de Vos City, which is where Rodrigo ju Terte got his start as mayor, right like, that is where he kind of you know started his political career too. And these two men are very strongly tied together, right. Terte is the guy who killed thou probably of drug users and associated people during his time as this brutal authoritarian president he did leave office, so not really dictator, but very bad strong man type president. And Apollo in here very close, so I'm not bringing him up just because like he's the other guy from the Philippines we've covered so far, right, Yeah, I know two guys from the Philippine. No, he is directly tied in this story. So Apollo, the youngest of nine children, was named again, not after the Greek god or the much more impressive Apollo Creed, but after Mount Oppo, a dormant volcano that, at almost ten thousand feet above sea level, is the highest peak in the Philippines. I should note here that I read on Apollo's churches website that he had been named after a mountain, and when I went to look up the first result for Apollo Mountain, I found this book, which has nothing to do with the story, but it made me laugh. Mountain min Eventswood Valley, Aaron Havoc. That can't be a name. So if you're trying to imagine what young child Apollo CIBOLOI looks like, this is exactly I'm assuming this is.
Speaker 3: A picture of him. Yeah, yeah, totally nice soul.
Speaker 1: Yes, So yeah, anyway, I pointed this out. I put this up also to point out that Google is just really knocking it out of the park these I don't know, great results always relevant to my search queries.
Speaker 2: Like if there's anybody that say, hey, let's do something good and then start not doing it good and see if y'all stick around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be like if I started a podcast about all of the worst people in history and then at a certain point pivoted to just doing ads for the Church of Scientology, just long extended ads for the Scientology.
Speaker 3: Why is you doing this?
Speaker 1: Even wanted to clean Tom Cruise's house. Well, there's a way, sorry, anyway. Decade after his birth, the website for the cult that Apollo would come to lead said this about the day that he was born at home quote.
Speaker 2: Hey, holdo, holdo, hold on, you slipped in the cult he was about to lead that no point was there a warning.
Speaker 1: That this was he had a cult? I did not. I think I might have mentioned he had a cult. He's got a cult.
Speaker 4: You said no, no, no. You said you were going to try to find a nice little cult episode.
Speaker 3: For produde, and then you said you failed.
Speaker 4: You failed that.
Speaker 1: Well I failed at it being nice because those.
Speaker 3: Wait time out.
Speaker 1: But it is a cult episode.
Speaker 3: I appreciate getting the cult.
Speaker 1: Yeah I did. There's a certain point at research it which you can't turn back around and pick another topic.
Speaker 4: I feel like you we're doing it. You just give a politicians answer, but us Okay.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sophie. I'm getting ready for my big presidential run. Uh And I just want to let you guys know I'm not going to be responsible with the nukes. That's my promise. You're not going to have nowhere about it nevermore.
Speaker 2: I've never been more convinced to not vote for somebody than if Robert was running.
Speaker 1: Like, I think this is going to go well with a lot of people because look, you know Donald Trump, who knows what he's going to do with the nukes, right, Joe Biden, Oh, sleepy Joe. We just don't know much about his mind state. Me. You know I'm going to use them, and you know I'm not going to use them. Well, that's a promise. You don't have to worry about it anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I feel you know, some people you want cooking, some people you won't, cleaning.
Speaker 1: Some people don't dropping the H bomb on Lake Superior. Okay, anyway, he's the script. So from the club site for his cult, this is what it said about the day that he was born night. I should say that he was born at home. The knight suddenly turned to day moments after his birth, and a huge eagle had perched in the trees outside their home and had stayed there until he was born. So let's you know, God turned night into day and eagle watched over him. All the good stuff on some.
Speaker 3: Found.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, so yeah, his family had was poor, or at least that's kind of what the stories say.
Speaker 1: You get the feeling maybe they were closer to I mean, the middle class was not really a big thing in the Philippines at this time, but I don't think they were as poor as he kind of likes to portray them as. But his parents may have been prior to having him. They had immigrated from the family's ancestral home in Lubao after World War Two in order to find work, which is what brings them to Da Vos City. By the time Apollo came into the picture, they seem to have been solidly working class. His biography claiming that though the family was poor, they were happy. Now, I found what appears to be a picture of his family from a news report. It's into Galog, it's not translated, but from what I can tell it looks like the kid in the middle because it zooms in on him is the our center. So and you can see just looking at the hair, you can tell to own a cult like that, that kid winds up a cult leader. I'm sorry. Kid on the left probably not kid on the right, maybe you know, but kid in the middle, that's a cult leader. Yeah. For so you can just tell.
Speaker 3: You can look at all of his days in Quias he was.
Speaker 1: Although that baby in the back looks kind of like alive, not alive. Maybe that's a doll. I can't really tell. I don't know if I love the very incense skin tones there. That baby does not look well.
Speaker 3: Right, maybe the.
Speaker 1: Flash was on. So it's a little unclear to me. Again, just how to characterize the family socioeconomic status. Because his parents became pastor leaders at a Pentecostal church in Defoul early on. His dad had been raised Protestant, like mainline Protestant, right, which which put because obviously like Pentecostal church is a Protestant denomination, but it's also kind of it's not mainline, you wouldn't say, And this kind of put them in the fact that he kind of moves to the Pinna Costal faith puts them in line with a big post war trend in the Philippines. American missionaries had brought Pentecostalism to the country, but it was spread largely by these kind of swashbuckling and these guys are Filipinos, swashbuckling like pioneer church planters who are like Johnny Apple, seeds of Pentecostal churches. And they're I mean, the term they use is planting churches and these like settlements in the frontier that are established in the jungle. Right yeah, Now, if you're not aware of a lot of this, Pentecostalism is a strain of Protestant Christianity that emphasizes charismatic practices like speaking in tongues and what's called baptism in the Holy Spirit. These are the kind of folks. They don't just believe in miracles. They believe that God often bestows miraculous ability and powers on members of churches during worship sessions.
Speaker 3: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My argument is, like I've always argued that, like Philippine know, y'all, y'all black is hell. I don't care what you say, like you are black Asians. Yeah, somehow they're black and Latino at the same time. Like, so to me, the idea that it's like yeah, and then as a Pentecostal church, I'm like, of course it is, because y'all black.
Speaker 1: Is hell, they're also there's like a I'm not obviously qualified to comment on that, but the fact that there's a huge American influence on the way worship works there, right yeah, yeah, you see here in this because i mean we were there for quite a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So his father must have been a man of some ability and personal magnetism, because he does very well in the Pentecostal faith as it is kind of sweeping the country. And it seems that a skill for like preaching and you know, like that kind of charismatic preaching ran in the family because Apollo's older brother, Jose eventually becomes the assistant general superintendent of the largest Pentecostal organization in the Philippines. Now, one noteworthy fact about the Kiboloi family is that they seem to have rejected there's a lot of like in the area they're growing up in kind of the rural area, and like the slums, there's a lot of communist organizing when he's a little kid that is sweeping through the surrounding communities, and they are very much against it. This is a very conservative anti communist family. We get very little here. This is something I've kind of read in between the lines and also just kind of based on stuff that happens later. But due to a vaguely defined hardship that may have been related to a conflict with like these local communist groups, which are insurgent organizations. Apollo is moved away from home as a boy to live with his older sister. I don't know why. Just some of the stuff I've read make me think it may have been tied to some political conflicts in their hometown. I don't actually know, though.
Speaker 2: It's also like, what's interesting this may I don't know if this is going to play in later, but I feel like it probably will because of, like you said, the communist thing. Like while Pentecostalism might be very theologically on the fringes, like it fringes a strong word, but like theologically liberal, they're actually very socially conservative. It's very like, yeah, you know very much about like your performance of holiness. You know what I'm saying. And that holiness is something that you'd like. They don't drink, they don't smoke, they don't you know what I'm saying. They're they're not free with what you know folks will call like their liberties.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It's very much like you know, with for us, like you know, that's the older generation for.
Speaker 3: A lot of like black people.
Speaker 2: So it's like you don't listen second music, you don't watch rated our movies, you know what I'm saying, because you're supposed to be holy, you feel me, and a lot of that has to do what you being filled with the holy ghost, you know what I'm saying. So so to hear that like the play of like communism may be in a thing, it makes sense to me of those two things being together in that sense.
Speaker 3: It may not play in later, but I think it's.
Speaker 1: Oh it does. No, no, no. As an adult, he is going to have some dealings with his local commune that are very much not pretty. So this is I'm not bringing this stuff up for nothing, and I do kind of because of some stuff he's going to say later. I do suspect that like this is part of the kind of why he's uprooted as a little boy, you know, but I don't actually know that to a point of certainty either way. He gets moved away when he's like a kid to live with his oldest sister. His official biography claims it was there that he learned the hard lessons of responsibility through the rule of the stick. You don't get a feeling, Yeah, you don't get a feeling. She was a nice aunt, right, not on literally, but yeah, yeah yeah. For eight years he attended school and worked at his sister's bakery. He became, as he would later claim, and again this is a liar, a diligent student. And that quote. When he became a teenager, he forget all about having friends or having fun because there just wasn't time for that in his life. Again, maybe that's true. I don't know. Between the lines a bit, we can probably assume that he was not a happy boy, separated from his family and used as free labor by his sister. At age fourteen, he had his first vision from God, a hallucination about the end of the world, with fire raining from the sky igniting the gasoline depots near his sister's home. Quote. People tried to escape into the sea, but even the water was a flame, there was nowhere to go. No, obviously, I don't believe this guy is the prophet of or you know, would he's he's actually going to claim the literal son of God. But I also that's specific enough that I would believe that that's an actual nightmare he had as opposed to he made up, Like that's really the whole Igniting the gas depots near his sister home is like such a specific thing to bring up that that strikes me as like maybe something something that was at some point came into his head as opposed to something he made up later to justify starting a cult, or night after night, the dream repeated itself. Apollo would graduate and attend a Bible college, where he finally came to realize that his nightmares weren't nightmares. They were visions of the Second Coming. This, he would later write, allowed him to make peace with the upheaval and difficulty of his childhood. Quote he realized that his childhood was all part of the father's orchestration. His sister was only an instrument, a tool that the father had used to mold him in the principles of discipline and responsibility that made him into a vessel ready for the Father's incredible calling in his life. Now clearly yeah.
Speaker 3: God turned around for good. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: A lot of this is this part I think is made up after the fact to justify the cult that he starts. But I do find it interesting that he describes his sister as just a tool meant to mold him into shape. That's part of how you could see like there must have been a real conflict here. That's a very mean way to describe your sister.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and also very Pentecostal, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes yeah. And it also it kind of does mirror the fact that his sister seems to have used him as like basically a tool for free.
Speaker 3: Labor, right for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: On his church's website, Apollo or one of his followers makes it clear that he didn't want to go to Bible school. His real dream was to be a pilot, but ultimately the fact that tuition and room and board were free are what swayed him. This was his first chance at independence from his sister, and he took it. As he continued to pray, he was visited by God in dreams and he was told that he had been anointed to spread the gospel. Quote the gift was so extraordinary that Pastor Apollo had to check himself every now and then to see if he was still sane, if what he was saying still made sense, if he had not after all, gone mad.
Speaker 2: Now, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: Am I tripping?
Speaker 2: Like y'all listen, listen, Yeah, tell me if I'm tripping. It might be to ube, It might have been a bad bull of Denuguan. Am I tripping? But I'm pretty sure an angel was in his room last night. Now I might be tripping.
Speaker 1: I think I might be here to bring about the apocalypse, you know, anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like, look, stop me at any time. But like, I'll pull the post down. I'll pull it down if I need to delete it. But like I think I am the pale horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, look, a lot of us think we're the pale horse. There's nothing crazy about that, you know. Yeah, yeah, if you think you're the pale horse, just keep riding, baby, Just keep riding.
Speaker 2: You know, you won't have to do much about it. You'll you'll do what you're doing, whether you try to do or not.
Speaker 3: If you're a pale horse.
Speaker 1: Maybe start on the East coast though, do me a solid huh okay anyway, So I think Apollo is a savvy man, and he's smart enough to pay attention and see that by nineteen seventy two when he graduates Bible College, American style charismatic churches are spreading everywhere, not just in the Philippines, the most sophisticated of them. Because we've talked about on our TV Joshua episodes, how this is a lot of this is happening in parts of Africa too, right around this period of time, a little later in Africa, in like Central Africa, the most sophisticated of these churches had embraced the radio and increasingly television as a way to reach more people than could ever fill a physical church. And he is someone who sees this happening. He's fairly insightful, and he understands there's a lot of money and power in making myself one of these men. And you know, furthering on that point, he has a gift for preaching that he finds that is, you know, seems to to some extent be something that is in his family, but that he's clearly got. He is special in this church. Yeah, he's got the juice. His bio claims he could preach as much as seven times a day because he had to get all those words out of him. He had a full schedule all year round, and such was his passion and zeal that even if woken in the middle of the night to preach, he would get up and go. He became a famous evangelist because of this. He earned the nickname preaching machine. I've actually heard this before. In the US. I talk a lot about a documentary called Marjoe that's about a guy, Marjo Gordner, who back in like the fucking forties, is the youngest preacher in the United States. Ary together travels, yes, yes, his parents, who are very abusive, are like taking him around, and he does a documentary as an adult, just kind of about the actual gritty underside of this like traveling preacher industry. And he is the kind of person who because he does it a few times, it's like a party trick. He can just lapse into a twenty minute sermon that is this like big fire in Brimstone shit rhymes like he's great at it. Like yeah, some people like and this is you know, it's both there's a degree of like natural talent, and he works at this right like you do have to. There's it's this is not you know, purely talent. There's a lot of skill here too. You know that is crafty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would.
Speaker 2: I would say that, like that's something that you know, the the craft. Obviously, again I keep bringing up the blackness. O don't know, I keep bringing it up, but like I think the craft of preaching is something that you know. In our culture, we do see as this is a spiritual gift, like like God has given you this gift and all you really need is just the training in the actual text. And like once you know the text, you got the gift. You called to be a preacher, but you can't. But you can't help the call. Like God has given you this gift, so like it would be irresponsible for us to not let you use it. And then oftentimes because this person is just so gifted down be knowing what they talking about, and you can get away with so much because you so gifted, you know what I mean. So I'm always like whenever anybody, especially around like when people fall for some sort of like charismatic speaker and it ends up being a cult like it's as silly as that is, as far as like you're not having your antennas. Like some people are just really good communicators. And it's like if you, if you, if you like snap out for a second and just suspend reality, fam you fall for it.
Speaker 3: Too, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, And that's like that, that's that's where this guy is. He is the kind of person who can just make a crowd lose themselves, right, Yeah, really like listening to him. So yeah, he made waves within his local church, and in nineteen seventy three, one year out of Bible College, he was sent to an expo in Soul, that's South Korea for Pentecostal youth activists, which he attended as part of because, like again, the Philippines a political situation at the time. He attends as part of the American and Canadian delegations. He is the only Filipino at the event. He is the only Asian in his delegation of one hundred and eighty six people. We can again infer that this is yeah, I mean obviously there's of course people in Korea, American and Canadian delegations. Yeah, yeah, we can infer that this was a lonely time for Apollo, given how many times he stresses being the only non white kid in his group, And it is here that he claims to have first heard the voice of God clearly give him instructions announcing his divine plans to use Apollo. So Apollo naturally goes to the adult leaders and chef ruins for his group and it's like, hey, God just told me he's got some big old plans for me. And their response, I don't know if it tells you that like the rest of the charismatic movement is more grounded, you know, at this point than it is today, or just that they're racist and they're not willing to listen to this, this torpedo kid, but a b.
Speaker 3: Fam tell you experienced. Buddy's a byway, take your pick. Yeah.
Speaker 1: After listening to him, the American missionaries gently but firmly told him, you know, when you pray that it's you talking to God. But when you hear God talking to you, there's something wrong. You need to see a doctor.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, they just yeah, because that's that doesn't that's yeah, yeah, no, no, y'all racist, because Pedecosa needed you supposed to.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't in charge until God speaks. So like that's why charge be last and set outs. We got to wait until we got to tarry to the Lord.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, So, no, y'all just racist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you have to try it. I think you have to pronounce it as like oh no, no, no, no no. When you pray, that's you talking to God. But when you hear God talking to you the exactly wrong. Yeah, every pict it ben ends with the Lord told me. Yeah, So like, no, fam No, I just think that's fair. What else is fair, prop is the prices of the products and services that support this podcast. You know, if you can find a better deal, I will personally slash the tires of the CEO of that company.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, so hopefully, hopefully hopefully Goldilocks is the sponsor again, another fili final joke right there, Azusa.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's a it's like a bakery.
Speaker 1: Anymore, slash of bakery's tires.
Speaker 3: I don't know, right, not.
Speaker 1: Man, what you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying, Yeah, for legal purposes, he's joking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe definitely. Anyway, we're back. Oh my gosh, everyone's having a good time. I'm not, uh who, Well, fine, all right. So Apollo at this point is like, well, these guys don't believe what I'm saying, but you know, I'm going to keep listening to these voices and keep preaching. And things go well for him. The very next year, he has adopted national president for the organization that like the largest Pentecostal organization in the Philippines. And soon after this he meets an American girl and he starts dating her. Effect I only bring up because he brags about it quite a bit in his biography of quote, he was the apple of the eye of his denomination. He had a beautiful American girlfriend that they wanted him to marry. His career path to the top was clear. People loved him. Wherever he went. He was treated like a prince. The detail that they wanted him to his denomination wanted him to marry this American.
Speaker 3: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: There's a lot there that I may be I'm definitely not the right person to analyze, but that is interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nah, that's that's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a phrase in Spanish that it may not necessarily be the same concept. It's called advance the race, right, so like, uh so, like what that What they're basically saying is like, get you a white person, Joe saying, so, get you an American white person, and it advances us. So it's like, you're you're pushing our culture forward, you're pushing the family forward, You're pushing on well forward. So like so when you get you somebody like light skin or an American white person, then this is like the best thing for us, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So it's possible.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is what he's going at, but it's possible that like that's kind of a vibe where it's like, oh yeah, no, yeah, no.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, they want me to marry her. I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, like, is what we're doing. You know what I'm saying, I'm advancing. You know, it's a flex. It's a flex to pull, to pull an.
Speaker 3: American yep, yep.
Speaker 1: The next lines in his biography are that these American missionaries who are jealous he kind of infers her jealous that he's dating this American girl, are also become jealous of his success, and they decide to sabotage him, and he claims that this is what eventually set him on the path to creating his own denomination and church. And it's here that I finally do have some evidence to the contrary to bring up, because we are when it comes to the rest of this stuff, we are kind of reliant upon his recollections of his early life. Here we have some outside information. So his claim I started having conflicts with the broader Pentecostal denomination in the Philippines because these American missionaries didn't like me, didn't like that I was seeing this girl from their country, didn't like how good I was. That's not the whole story. Residents from the mountainous rural region of kit Bog, where Apollo claims to have had some of his greatest revelations, recalled to a local newsmagazine, raptler dot Com, that back in the nineteen seventies, Apollo was a young preacher and basically acted as a sidekick to a government employee, Major Sanchez, who had been sent by the resident to look into the issues facing the indigenous communities in the area. Now, this is particularly worth noting because the president at that point was Ferdinand Marcos. So if your name is if everyone calls you Major Sanchez, and you are sent by Ferdinand Marcos to look into issues. Yeah yeah, facing indigenous communities and a part of the Philippines in the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 3: It's not agree.
Speaker 1: You're not doing anything good. It's not good.
Speaker 3: This is bad news man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, today, the Philippines is it does not rank well. I don't like to reduce countries to like where they are and like the corruption index, right, but today they're at about one sixteen out of one eighty, and things are worse when Marcos is the dictator, right y. Marcos is famous for awarding his cronies with you know, the basically like you would get like a job like this. The purpose of a job like this is to reward someone who was lower to you by letting them go rob a bunch of people blind, you know, with ribes, with like giving contracts different companies to let them like strip mind shit. Right, yeah, that's what Sanchez is doing in this area, right in kind bog these are licenses to embezzle and rob people blind. And the fact that Apollo is like following Sanchez around is kind of his tame preacher, where Sanchez is like, hey, these people are religious as hell, I'm going to be strip mining their lives away. You keep them entertained, right, yeah, that's yeah, that's the insinuation. Yeah yeah, yeah yeah. About our boy Apollo, what he is doing at this point, as opposed to he's just so good at preaching that these Americans are angry, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: As a sidekick of the Major, we can assume Apollo made connections to other corrupt figures of the Marcos age and put aside more than a little bit of other people's money for himself, because that's just how it worked. Whatever these specific details, it was bad enough what he did with this major. We don't know exactly what he did, but it was bad enough that the entire like the Pentecostal Church in the Philippines, this fellowships him in nineteen seventy nine, specifically because of his relationship to the Major, which is an extreme measure, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, don't you don't give somebody a left handed fellowship. But yeah, unless it's like real.
Speaker 1: So his claim the Americans didn't want me there because you know, they were jealous, the actual information, the actual like reporting, suggests he was kicked out by his own people, because he was hideously corrupt and involved in a figure associated with this regime that, by the end of the seventies was not very popular. He does that it's not that bad for him, because he gets to make a public apology and is accepted back the next year. So we are whatever his involvement was, it was not hideous enough that like someone's going to murder his ass in the street or whatever. But it was bad, right. Apollo is reassigned after he gets let back into the church to head up a church in Agdow, where he developed a habit of ranting angrily about his colleagues, who had kicked him out of the church briefly. By nineteen eighty five, this had caused enough problems that he was at risk of being kicked out yet again. Now you have the facts, this is clear the story of a corrupt asshole who got a second chance he never deserved. This is not how Apollo would later tell the story. Quote his heart was so sincere, passionate and hungry for the Lord and to follow what was written in his word, but he could not see the same thing in his denomination. He felt heartsore and disappointed. God really wants me robbing these indigenous people.
Speaker 4: For Marcos heart was so sincere, passionate and hungry for the Lord. It's like a bad Christian mingle. Bile, it's a bad Christian mingle, bye said.
Speaker 2: But listen, listen, consider it a blessing when they lie and persecute you. Blessed is he was persecuted for my name's sake.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 2: I was bringing the Gospel and I got persecuted for it. So I'm in the fellowship of the suffering of our Savior. It's doing the work of the Lord.
Speaker 4: And yeah, literally, it's like there's like this prompt and all the diating apps that are like how would your friends describe you? And then they write it themselves and He's like, his heart was so sincere and passionate and.
Speaker 1: Hungry for I'm going to create a dating profile on my grinder in Portland for this guy, just using quotes from his and see how it does. See how it does.
Speaker 4: Quote Robert, Let's find you some love.
Speaker 1: I just feel some love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because your your heart was so passionate and hungry from the Lord.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be dress. Yeah, drop that nuke. I dropped that nuke with a good heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly exactly. You know, it was a loving nuke. So he writes that quote what he saw in his denomination was politics and a failure to follow what the father wanted. The cry in his heart was, is this all? I want something more? And when you think about all the bribes he was taking, I think that that sentence is has a little bit of a different field to it.
Speaker 3: Come on, come on man.
Speaker 1: On September one, nineteen eighty five, Apollo was scheduled to have what you might call a come to Jesus meeting, a literal come to Jesus meeting with his superiors at the church, where they were going to grill him on the fact that he had been telling his congregation all of the other pastors were quote unqualified and ignorant, basically like, and you have to stop talking shit about the VisiC call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I had a mission this, sir. I need you to sit down for a second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are unhappy with you. Yes, yeah, so yeah. Instead of making that meeting, Apollo's like, well, fuck this shit, I don't need I know where this is going to go. I don't need to sit for this. I'm going to start a cult.
Speaker 2: It's time road of vipers. Yeah, lost your ways?
Speaker 4: What else can I I do?
Speaker 3: I have to obey the Holy Spirit, the Spirit. Am I gonna listen to man?
Speaker 2: Or?
Speaker 3: Am I gonna listen to God? Yeah?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 4: And what else was he supposed to do?
Speaker 3: Cult? Obviously that's the only option.
Speaker 2: I have to follow the spirit, and the Spirit is leading me to do because the Lord said, And that's what's that's the in some senses as bonkers as Pentecostal church is they My mama used to say this. Everybody that does say it the Lord. The Lord ain't thus say My mama used to say that. So like, so at least they going fam listen. The other Filipinos was like, by day, you ain't here from God. That's not what you're saying is not factual.
Speaker 3: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, so they yeah, they're like, you know, he has this meeting that he bounces on, and his version of events, he claims that he decided to skip the meeting because an anonymous man visited him and told him they should meet up at a hotel later that night so he could share a mission from God. Now listen, folks, if this ever happens to you. Do not make that meeting list. That is something terrible is going to happen in that hotel, Sir, They're gonna make light of it. I'm just going to say, you know the bad thing that'll happen in that hotel, root du Yeah.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 3: Turn you into a noble bro like you like.
Speaker 4: Do not.
Speaker 1: Do not go to that Yeah. Now here's how he describes the meeting that follows. When he got there, the man surprisingly told him nothing except to sleep there in the room, since the hour was late. It was twelve oh one in the evening. But as he lay down, he was catapulted suddenly into a vision. He saw the ceiling open up to the night sky, showing the stars twinkling, clear and bright. He did not know if he was a sleeper awake, but he knew it was the open heaven. One bright star was growing bigger and bigger, drawing down slowly closer, until a hand with a white sleeve was revealed to be holding a heavy, shiny bronze cauldron. The hand held the cauldron before him as though just a few feet away, and turned it and Pastor Apollo immediately read the words written on one side strive to rhyme for unity. When the hand turned the cauldron the other way, he saw words written there, not in any language he knew, and as he read it, a voice said, these words are for you only tell no one, and Pastor Apollo has kept those words secret to this day. Wow, I don't know, yea.
Speaker 2: The whole Like he's there's so many things in there that like require a level of nerdery.
Speaker 3: Like there's a he's invoking. I think it's Barsk Corinthians.
Speaker 2: He's invoking image and that's all talked about being brought into the third heavens. When he was like, Lord put me to sleep. I don't know if I was awake or asleep, I can't tell you, but I saw this vision and I was given I was shown an image that I still can't utter. So he's like, he's he's like really invoking some like Apostle Paul type, like I am starting a church imagery, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That makes sense, That makes a lot of sense. Yeah, that's what he's involing, specifically what he's bringing in because I just I just found this very familiar to my experience being invited into a hotel room by someone who told me they were going to show me God, and then the hallucinations that I had later, And I have kept the words I heard that day secret, but for a very different reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Words, the words. The words you got was from the lsd in this and the dude saying.
Speaker 1: It was from a copy of that Terence mckinna book about mushrooms.
Speaker 4: The voice, the voice said, never stop podcasting.
Speaker 1: That is right. I hear that voice every second of my life, Sophie, every second of my life.
Speaker 3: That's just me, I.
Speaker 1: Believe, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the voice is like, so what are you guys talking about next week?
Speaker 1: God?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 1: Just yeah, yeah, there there there are different kinds of beliefs systems around the world that like believe that you literally sing the world into being and there has to always be somebody like singing in order to like keep reality, you know, like like humming along. And I I am that for podcasting, right. As long as I'm podcasting, you know, the firmament will will stay above us, but it will collapse and bring about a thousand years of fire.
Speaker 2: The instaart I stop. You are the Greek of podcast Yeah, so keep listening.
Speaker 1: Folks.
Speaker 4: Yes, and speaking of listening, it's time to listen to these ads.
Speaker 1: You're right. So you're right, dude, that was speaking of Yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 4: How was icy of me?
Speaker 1: Very We're back. So Apollo has abandoned his church and act out and he's taken and a core group of loyal followers about fifteen people, and established his new totally independent church, the Kingdom of Jesus Christ, Thy name above every name, which is every word of that is capitalized.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of a no abbreviation of it.
Speaker 1: KOJC is usually what you get for the which is a lot easier to say that is a that is a heavy, heavy nas. He sets it up in a slum nearby where his old church had been.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And as soon as he's got this church of his own, he starts preaching to his first followers, and again there's like a little over a dozen of them. He tells them that, hey, this is not your daddy's pentecostal faith, and I'm not just a preacher. I am now the quote appointed son of God, Now what does that mean? Prop Because he's not saying I am like this coming, no man of God. Yeah, he said, it sounds to me, and maybe something is lost in the translation here, although he does he does preach a lot in the English. Is he saying that like appointed? Like God was like, you know what, You're not my born kid, but you and I are so tight. I signed the papers, right, I have adopted you officially, you were like the son of God because I picked you.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not like that Jesus guy. Just get by in his blood.
Speaker 3: You feel me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just you were born in that's nepotism. No, there is an idea. There are two ideas. Yeah, there's two ideas in there. They're like the idea of salvation is an adoption into being the sons of God. Right, so there's like there's that concept, right, But then what he's saying is again I'm pulling on like the idea of the Pentecostal idea of being the anointed one, which is like there's the capital anointed one that's Jesus, and then there's anointed as in being set apart, being chosen by God for this particular time. And what he's or like like the old folks who say for such a time as this, you know what I'm saying. So what I feel like what he's invoking is like I am God's chosen for this moment in this season. I am the anointed one for now. So it's like lowercase anointed. I'm thinking that's what he's saying. That makes sense, That makes sense. Yeah, I could see that being it.
Speaker 3: But now I.
Speaker 1: Should also note that appointed son of God. You'll hear that a lot. That is not close to his only nickname, his I supposeer for where this goes FBI indictments that he notes that he also went by sir Pastor ACQ. Not really sure where that one came from. I think that's just maybe his nick like his initials and yeah, that's got to be his initials. And one of his favorite nicknames on his church website is the extremely unwieldy man who was chosen when the Father's hand of appointment came upon his life and he did not fail him. Woo howdy howdy. That's a nickname.
Speaker 3: That's a nickname.
Speaker 1: This is the has clauses. You may editor.
Speaker 2: Listen, oh man, they say so because like still like you know you for like you go to church with your grandma, Like when a pastor walks in, they say, man, of God. You know what I'm saying, Like, you address the pastor as the man of God, you know what I'm saying, So like there is an element of like sort of this hierarchy that kind of exists in that denomination. And then there's the level you talk about, which is like, oh words, So you you the Man of God Plus?
Speaker 3: Like, you know what I'm saying, You the plus streaming series. You feel me?
Speaker 2: Like you get We're we all just got we all just got the free trial version.
Speaker 3: We got the seven ninety nine.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying, You got the Poteen ninety nine version of the Anointing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's he's a double stuffed oreo of whole dumble stuff.
Speaker 3: He got a double portion any one of those new.
Speaker 1: Coke flavored oreos. I don't know, you know, I'm not a theologian, you know, I think I think religious scholars, rabbis and the like could debate over that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the next decade and change are a busy time for Apollo. He continued to accumulate followers at a startling rate. He is very good at building an organization. He has a robust media operation that spreads videos of church sessions where he would speak in tongues and perform miracles, and as he brought in followers, obviously, so came money. He purchased, like any good cult leader, a forested compound on the mountain. That was his namesake. Right, he's got his mountain compound now. In one TV interview, he claimed that this mountain compound is proof that God had restored the Garden of Eden. WHOA, yeah, I got the Garden of Eden. You can come.
Speaker 3: It's nice.
Speaker 1: It's nice. There's worse picks for a location. That's how it is.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm saying, go up there in the mountains, get that, Get that a hundred year old lady, give you the tattoo.
Speaker 3: Right, That's that's some Garden of Eden type stuff.
Speaker 1: I feel you sure. I don't know how apples do over there, to be honest, but they got other fruit. They got other fruit. So God apparently also really liked the idea of shotgutting a shitload of money to Rodrigo du Terte, who at this point becomes the mayor of du Vos City in nineteen eighty eight after the People Power Revolution. Du Terte was Apollo's most prominent political friend of the post marcos Era right, and ju Terte would later claim to owe some of his rights to power to the fact that Apollo's church gives a shitload of money to him at the start of his political campaign. So again he gets jump started in a big way by Apollo Kiboloi's cult. Now, given the corruption endemic to du Terte's regime and the fact that Apollo's already been caught up in some shady shit, you might assume maybe is there some like sinister quid pro quo here?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Is he backing this guy? So this guy is going to like once he's mayor help him get away with some crimes. Don't worry, Rodrigo Duterte would never do that sort of thing, of course not, And in an interview for The Inquirer, he assured the world that this was never the case. Quote it was ju Terte himself who said that the wealthy preacher doesn't have other friends, I mean a friend he can really trust, stressing this as the reason that KABOLOI has been giving him expensive gifts. No no, no, no, this corruption and just needs a friend.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Look, trying to be there for my body when.
Speaker 2: You exist in our stratosphere, like in the in the social sphere that we exist, and it's hard to have people that trust you.
Speaker 3: You think everybody.
Speaker 2: Needs some right, right, so you just it just gets lonely, you know, and like I just wanted to do something nice with the Humes.
Speaker 1: Right, right, exactly exactly. You know what, we should all be grateful that there are people like Rodrigo Jutte out there who are willing to be friends with a poor, you know, lonely cult leader with three to seven million followers around the world. Right, you know, no one is lonelier than a man like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can be alone among millions, man, that's right, alone as beautiful prop that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yes, anyway, the poet so the ko JC quickly spreads to become one of the largest Pentecostal churches on earth, somewhere between three and seven million followers. I've heard both numbers. Most of these are in and around Manila, but you know a lot. He has people in multiple countries around the world. He has like sub churches dedicated to the KOJC and multiple countries including the United States.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now, unlike most pastors, Apollo tells his growing flock it's not enough just to show up on Sunday to hear me preach. You have to put your money where your mouth is. With a steadily increasing yearly tithe that by two thousand and four was more than twelve hundred dollars a year in a country where the average salary is less than ten thousand dollars a year, gott a tie.
Speaker 3: That is a game lesson tithe?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, its yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, I will not give unto God that which costs me nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. And memorandums sent to followers about the annual tithe, but with the signature office of the Son of God. So you really, that's not just like your local tax department or whatever. You know, that's not the fucking Department of Water and Power are sending you a bill. You really gotta get on that one.
Speaker 2: You gotta like listen, listen. You don't collection worth his wages, you know what I'm saying. Will a man rob God?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Will a man rob God?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So money he's hitting all the high points, man, right, he hit all.
Speaker 1: He really is. Now money is not the only thing flowing Apollo's way. He began to get access to women as well. Many of them very young and desperate to forge some sort of connection to a man they believed might bring salvation. It is unclear precisely how when when Apollo started sleeping with his followers, but by no later than two thousand and two, he and his most trusted aids had built a system within the church entirely designed to funnel young girls up towards him. His church referred to these people as pastorals, which was not an extant term in the faith, and referred to girls as young as eleven and basically never older than twenty five. An FBI indictment from twenty eighteen notes pastorals prepared defendant Kiboloy's meals, cleaned his residences, gave him massages using lotion, and traveled with him on trips throughout the world, to include the United States. Pastorals engaged in sex with defendant KIBOLOI on a schedule determined by defendants. That is happening again.
Speaker 3: Yes, it always gets to a dick.
Speaker 1: It's always, I like, because that's why people do this. That's why people make cults one way or the other. Usually every now and then you get like ol Ron Hubbard's cult. You know, it was purely about being able to absolutely control the lives of a bunch of people and make the power dig for dig for treasure. You know, he wasn't focused on the sex primarily, but most of them are. You know, that's that's a big thing for a lot of them. Yeah, pastorals engaged in sex with defendant KIBOLOI on a scheduled determined by defendants and what was referred to by pastorals as night duty for some past nights duty, night duty. I know that that's a bad one. I don't like that at all. And you know the FBI notes for some pastorals, night duty began before the pastoral reached the age of eighteen. Now, these girls had all been not all but usually been raised in the church, which is a lot worse because these are girls who are raised to believe this is the literal son of God and like the Man of God. Yeah, he wants you close to him. He wants you to He has chosen you, sister, to like you know, help him and help him with his great work.
Speaker 3: And that includes me some of his annoying.
Speaker 1: They move along, and this is again not all that why not completely dissimilar from how Epstein did it right. Massages are kind of a key because it gets you, know, it gets them in the room with you, and then things can proceed from there. The difference here is that these girls had spent their lives being told this man was divine. Right now, the coaching to become a pastoral does seem to have taken some time, and a big part of the organizational structure of the church was set up to train and funnel these girls upward so that there's a steady supply of them. Sometimes it took years to get them ready for night duty. But they were informed that night duty was a privilege and that the obedient would be rewarded, and they were KIBOLOI paid them and stays at luxury hotels. These are often very poor women and girls. Uh. He paid them in trips to tourist hotspots with annual cash rewards. For the the people who didn't want to accept this, he had a stick to go with the carrot, and that stick was hell. Refusing the pastor meant being set sentenced to eternal damnation.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: And again, this is the son of God.
Speaker 3: Man of God. Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: It's like, you want to you want to get close to the anointing. You want to get close to whatever gift gift does God's given him. Lord has chosen you. This is your reasonable service to the man of God who's given his life for our development.
Speaker 3: I mean this service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Now, many of these girls, as I stated, have grown up very poor in rural slums, not unlike where Apollo it's spent much of his childhood. Some of them had parents in the church, but others were targeted by Apollo's agents who were sent out into the poorous neighborhoods to look for teens and young adults who had like either had left their families or who could be convinced to abandon their families. So like, go find kids on the margins and bring them in, promise them food, and then we can either turn them into laborers if they're not someone that Apollo wants to have sex with, or turn them into pastorals. Now the bulk again, the bulk of the people that are grabbed and are not kind of are trafficked. Are men, right, because these are He also needs workers, right, And these people are inducted into the church, they're made to separate tize with their family and they're told that they now have to pay dues, and the fact that these are street kids who have no money is unimportant because there's a way for them to pay dues, as this article from the Philippine Daily Inquirer in two thousand and five notes. To support their church, the members are reportedly to sell church products door to door during the annual month of Sacrifice, which lasts from November to January, which you may note is longer than a month.
Speaker 3: I was like that, do you mean November thirty?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it does seem longer than a month.
Speaker 3: Yeah, longer than a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that is Yeah. So Apollo also just doesn't let his followers off with just that small amount of sacrifice. He also required people to sell rice cakes, another branded crap, year round to fund the construction of a network of seventeen radio stations and a satellite television station that could reach forty cities in the Philippines. Growth of this sort, the kind that was experienced by the KOJC is an exits is an exponential thing, and by two thousand and seven, Apollo was ready to expand into the United States, particularly towards the large Philippine expat community. That existed in Southern California. It was only one problem. The kind of followers he might get in the US are likelier to have an understanding of their rights to understand, like there's law enforcement they can go to to understand, there's media they can go to to have like money that makes them less vulnerable to you know, kidnapping like this. Right, So maybe the locals aren't going to be the best picks for past storals. But he's not going to spend all of his time in the fucking palace that he's going to get for himself in Southern California without sex slaves. Right, He's not that kind of fellow. So there's only one way to make these two things work out. And that way, my friend, is a massive immigration scam. And that's what we're going to talk about when we come back for part two.
Speaker 3: Problems.
Speaker 2: Amazing, how you're feeling. I am not happy, and also I'm not happy period saying but also because the like Southern California, like Filipino community, and I know that, like Sophie can attest, is like such a big part of growing up out here, you know what I'm saying that, Like, you know, even in the part of town I was in. It was like they you default with Filipinos when they get here, they default to either being black as hell or like Mexican adjacent because they end up in our hoods. So like, you know, I remember there was the like in my neighborhood, it was all these cholos. There was all these like Mexican gangs, and then there was these like other cholos that kind of like they talk like black dudes, you know what I'm saying, But they dressed like like cholos, but then they look Asian, and I was like, what what are y'all? But y'all go to the same church as we go to because again they Pentecostal. And then it's like, oh, so Manila Sunset, So that restaurant that's not that's not Mexican food, you know what I'm saying. Like, so I'm just saying all that to say it's been such a community that we are so intertwined with.
Speaker 3: To know more of.
Speaker 2: This past is like, well, I'll be, well, I'll be you know, it sucks, but it's just like, dang, that's what y'all been going, y'all.
Speaker 3: Y'all was going there the whole time. Well, we was going through the war on drugs. That's what was happening with y'all.
Speaker 2: You know. Anyway, all right, everybody just out here selling Jesus' color. Monthsie just hollow, hollow for Jesus. Anyway, I'm going to sell something. I don't know what, but you know what, Sophie's going to be angry. And that's the note to end.
Speaker 3: On yep, it'scuche.
Speaker 4: Behind the Bastards is a production of Cool Zone Media. Or more from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Behind the Bastards is now available on YouTube, new episodes every Wednesday and Friday. Subscribe to our channel YouTube dot com slash at Behind the Bastards