Speaker 1: Cut over that DJ Moore zode touchdown, touchdown Paars I am Jeff jonihat Wlitz.
Speaker 2: Is on Donnie Go.
Speaker 3: What was like playing for coache Good done.
Speaker 1: I don't want to answer any questions like that pressure coming is a big trouble. Dottie gos motest Sweat.
Speaker 4: Yes, Bears, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Miller Light with the voices of the Bears, Jeff Joniac and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 1: Nearing kickoff between the Bears and the Buffalo Bills week after a weekend of nostalgia and can't Ohio with the enjronments of Steve McMichael, Devin Hester, and Julius Peppers. Welcome in, everybody, I'm the voice of the Bears. Jeff Joniac with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Thayer. This episode of the Bears, Etc. Podcast brought to you by Miller Lte. The work is getting done. What needs to be done yet? But of most important is that Saturday noon kickoff in Orchard Park, New York against the Buffalo Bills.
Speaker 5: Expecting to see starters play.
Speaker 1: As of this taping, we don't know how many snaps for the starting quarterback and the starting offensive defense but we do expect them to play, and we're excited about that.
Speaker 5: Tommy, how you feeling?
Speaker 6: You know, I think there's an extra edge of seriousness that leads up to the first preseason game now in the NFL, especially after you play in the Hall of Fame game and none of the starters did play, because every time you put what you perceive as a starter on the field, it means the evaluation begins. And so now you're a guy that's pretty secure in your position. You've been around the NFL a little while. Are you still up to the responsibilities that it takes to play your position? Are you a young guy that has just come a board of football team as a free agent or as a draft choice, and are you living up to the expectations that the general manager and the head coach and the team has set for you. And there's every snap is serious, whether you're in practice or in the games itself.
Speaker 1: On the podium Wednesday, Shane Waldron, the offensive coordinator, his weekly visit, all the touch points the media, asking questions of all the hot topics. Certainly it's always going to be about Caleb Williams, the offensive line, Nate Davis. We got a chunk of it from the podium. We'll get Tom's reaction, but here's Shane Waldron this week at Hallis Hall.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think as the O line has some different moving parts right now as we you know, try out different combinations, work with different things that I think in the long run will help us for the full season when you get that debt depth built up right there. And then for Kalo that allows him to take leadership roles with different guys that are in there, you know, work on his communication with different groups, different centers, different guards that have rotated in tackles, and so I think all that does is help us as a team build our communication, whether it's player to player, uh, you know, with the quarterback to the O line or vice versa with the O line to the quarterback. And you know that's going to be so important as the season goes, especially when it comes to the protections and the idea and of everything that we do and and how we want to attack a defense. So it's been great for us and it'll be great down the road in the season. IKS what you're saying that's problem with this the protal to come mine with everyone healthy or with moving out it's both a learning the experience for Kala. Yeah, I think it just it helps with his communication, lets him learn different guys, his players that are around him. You know what what the different styles are, and you know how to community, how to communicate with those guys, you know, inevitably in a game, knowing that, hey, there might be different players that played throughout the season.
Speaker 8: With that, with that a line in a little bit of flux, is there any concern playing him behind it in Saturday's game.
Speaker 7: I think we got a good depth. I think Simo and hass have done such a good job of moving those guys around building that depth. We got frontline players that can play at a starter level. We've got guys that are playing with that second group and some of the guys rotating in a third group that can all operate at a high level. And the trust is there, and I think we can operate, you know, as an offense, depending on how we mix and match different guys. When we get to that point talking about tomorrow, what the preseason is going to look like.
Speaker 9: We see many big connections, say by the offense, but just from my it didn't look like a good day for the offense.
Speaker 8: What did you see from the offense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I saw DeAndre Swift, Khalil Herbert, Travis Homer. You know, I can go through a you know, a group of those explosive plays and so feeling good about those, knowing that, hey, some of the shots down the field, you know, didn't connect on some of those. But the thing we love and shows up in the Hall of Fame game, you know when you talk about different points in training camp and and guys that get the ball in their hand and run after catchability, And to me, those are the things that really come to life as an offense grows in the games in practice, you know, you know, not getting frustrated if we don't connect on a deep shot, knowing, hey we've stretched the defense vertically right there. But then we can come back and play a fishing football, connect drives together and then get the ball in our playmaker's hands.
Speaker 6: Kale about those those deep because we saw the deep shots.
Speaker 8: But I mean, like, is it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think and like every one of those that happen, you know, it takes all eleven. So you know, sometimes it can be a little bit cleaner in a protection. Look, sometimes we might be a little bit clearer in our route. Look, sometimes it might be the quarterback being a little bit cleaner with his feet. So you know, every one of those plays are individual when it comes down to, you know, the why of a play not connecting perfectly. And so for us as an offense right now, that's where we're striving to get, you know, all eleven every single time we get to one of those you know, deeper shot plays and giving us a chance and then like Caleb did today, Tyson did a great job of it today. If the defense puts an umbrella over the coverage structure right there, finding it, check down, finding a completion, and stay in efficient. I have not yet I saw a.
Speaker 1: Lot of Caleb when something would go wrong, come and talk to you or talk to Eberflus or kind of talk through what happened.
Speaker 2: Are you seeing him making those corrections?
Speaker 7: Yes, I think yeah. His daily improvement has been great to see. I think he's so competitive, you know, he's he cares so much about being great, and he puts in the hard work, so it's not a surprise at each day he gets a little bit better and some of the you know stuff as he grows within the offense and and within some of the different levels of communication from the coach to quarterback to the world of huddling and and and those things. Uh, seeing his daily improvement and making strides and never taking a you know, it's not a one step forward, two steps back type of process. It's been a hey, if there's been a bump in the road the next day. For example, I think as an offense, we didn't take care of the football well enough three days ago. I guess we'll be with the player's day off, and then we come back the next day next practice and we're battling. Our defense does a great job of getting after the football, and we play a clean, clean game from the quarterback position, all four quarterbacks on through. So seeing one thing, you know, one day, and then that ability to correct and make it better the next day and keep stacking those days is what we're seeing.
Speaker 8: And at this point, another thing you see the show is just because there's so many cameras on them and you're picking up audio, you know he might throw and you know are just kind of like, you know, the frustration element of growing, like how do.
Speaker 6: You see his demeanor as he deals with the.
Speaker 8: Inevitable, you know, challenges that come with training camp and getting ready for a week one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think he has a very even keel to me. But it's also a game of emotion, so there's gonna be some instant reactions. There's gonna be some uh some times where you know, everyone that's out there, all the all the players are out there so competitive, the coaches are so competitive, you know, there might be an instant reaction of you know, didn't get that one, and then how quickly can you bounce back right now for the next play. And that's what I've really seen out of Caleb and seeing out of you know, all the young guys that we've had roams had similar things where you see those guys. For young players, their ability to learn and grow from each play and then move right on to the next play, I think has been something you know, going back to the previous question that's helping their growth and will continue to helping their growth and development. At this point in the training camp, where do you feel most confident what.
Speaker 8: You guys are doing to an offense?
Speaker 7: I think right now, with the level of communication from where it started in OTAs to where we're at now in training camp, I think, uh, you know, when you get a new group, you know, some new coaches, some coaches that we're here and we're we're you know, uh, figuring out everyone's rhythm, figuring out our new players, the style of players, uh, that community and our operation. Seeing the growth that it's made every single day and being on pace for you know, getting ready for that regular season opener is something that we're proud of as a staff, and I know the players have put in a ton of work to get to the level where we're at right now.
Speaker 9: We talked about the depth of the offensive line and you're obviously please please with that, But how how much longer can you guys go in this camp but out unless you guys do know, without knowing who the center is and who the right guard is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think for us, you know, competition is going to bring out the best in everybody, and I think every single competition that's involved in training camp has its own individual timeline. And for us right now, because those guys are operating at such a high level at center, and then Ryan's been able to go in at the guard spot with Nate dealing with a little bit of injuries right there, you know, it's been a smooth transition as far as the communication, so it makes you feel confident that we can go ahead and keep participating or keep playing the way we're doing right now. We are right now, and then when that time is right, you know it'll be right and we don't have to set an exact time on it. You know it's going to obviously before you know, before that opening kickoff there on the opening game. But right now, I feel good about where we're at, and because of the professional level of those guys that are competing at those spots, you think will continue to see Vayala's out of the running back position. Yeah, this has been a great chance for Vayalis.
Speaker 2: He did.
Speaker 7: You know, He's done an excellent job as a as a core special teams player, did a great job at receiver, you know, getting to know the offense. And then for us just seeing a guy that's explosive with the ball in his hand, trying to figure out different ways that potentially could be during the season or during these preseason games, UH, to check him out at running back and knowing he's had a little bit of that in his history, and then for us just as a staff, feeling the best thing for him is to do it in a block right now, So really taking this block where we get the chance to get him in the running back room with Chad Morton and you and Chris had done such a great job with him at receiver and now seeing letting him you know, show his skill set there and then be able to you know, come back after this this Bill's game here and then reconvene and see what the next step would be again with you know, trying to maximize his skill set and also putting him in that best position to showcase that.
Speaker 5: With the extra reads. You guys have a camp. How helpful is that for kill to get that muscle you're talking about this growth?
Speaker 9: Just like I know, how difficult is the process as a quarterback NFL?
Speaker 3: How much?
Speaker 8: I mean that's you.
Speaker 6: Probably just have to do it right.
Speaker 9: There's like the other film stuff helps.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the the benefit of being in early, you know, obviously the practice is obviously the meetings, but then I think, you know, being able to be on the sideline for the Hall of Fame game and watch Tyson and uh Brett operate, Austin get in there, uh and and have a chance to see the defensive structure here. The play calls process it from the sideline, but get a chance to see, you know, what that what that game action is actually like and getting a feel for, you know, knowing that our goal in practice is to make this as hard as we can so that way when the game time comes around, it's a let's slow down a little bit. You got some TV timeouts, You got all the different things where it's not as as chaotic as practice in terms of you know, right onto the next drill, right onto the next situation, got to check a scoreboard that's in the corner there. So all those things, you know, combined, I think is a huge help to be able to be in early for that for the quarterback position and then be able to excel from there.
Speaker 1: You called the one.
Speaker 3: You've talked about Caleb's growth and what you're seeing from Pall eleven. But given the rickety nature of the passing game the past couple of practices with the defense missing four or five starters, what are you seeing from Caleb specifically, either on film or in the practice that tells you he's closer to getting this all to come together.
Speaker 8: Than we might think.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think for us, when you watch him and you watch him go through his reads and his progressions right there. I think, you know, going to where the ball should go is happening way more times than not. And some of the things that you know haven't worked out have been just from a you know, a near miss here or an angle that you know wasn't feeling it the right way there. Okay, got it onto the next one. But he's been doing a good job. We're sticking within progressions, recognizing coverage structures. So seeing all those things is what really gives you the confidence moving forward.
Speaker 5: All right, Tom, anything stick out? Anything stick out to you?
Speaker 6: Yeah. One thing at this point what we do have in common is neither of us have seen hard knocks. So I think that's something I don't know if a coach has time really to sit down at that time of night and watch because you're so in the middle of team meetings or you know, group meetings, position and coaching meetings. You know, it's just that the understanding that the development of the offensive line is going to take time. If you have some injuries at certain positions, you've got to try to allow Chris Morgan to insert the players that he could be that he believes that could play at a starter's level, and I'm glad that the Bears have a choice of talent where you can take a guy like Ryan Bates and take him from center and moving into a legitimate starting offensive guard, and then having Coleman Shelton who can come in here and play at a high level at the starting center position. I know that the the reality of it is is you brought Nay Davison here to be the starting right guard, with Darnell Wright and Braxton Jones and Tevin Jenkins as such, but there's never a promise that those guys are going to be there. So I like the fact that there's competitiveness on the practice field that helped that's going to help to decide the fate of some of these positions.
Speaker 1: Chris Morgan met with the media today as well, little groups of offensive assistants for the first time here in the preseason. Defensive assistance next week, and he was asked a lot about that position, and he said, simply, we're going to play the best five, So there is competition. There is competition at every position, and that's how they approach it, especially here in the preseason. And so he says, there's time. I know we all feel a little bit of adjida, a little bit about who's not in there. But the fact of the matter is there are three preseason games, a preseason pre practice against the Bengals that will tell a lot, and then there's almost two weeks before the kickoff against the Tennessee Titans. So you'd like to have as many reps with each other, but they can't make it a panic scenario.
Speaker 6: No, But you know right now Jeff Coleman Shelton at center and Ryan Bates at guard have had more reps with this offensive line than Nate Davis has at right guard and Ryan Bates at center. So I think when you look at the steps of timing and organization by an offensive line, first of all, you have to have an understanding of the rhythmic non rhythmic verbal cadence of Caleb Williams and how he seeing the field and how it affects the timing of the snap. Then secondly you have to understand the specific timing of the organization of a run block. And then the running backs need to be able to have multiple reps where they can pre predict how the hole is going to open and where their opening is going to be created. And then thirdly is pass protection responsibilities, because it takes all five guys plus the tight ends, fullbacks and the other guys to have organized pass protection to make sure Caleb Williams has a lot amount of time to take advantage of this talented group of receivers the Bears have. So it's not just going out there and saying, Okay, we need multiple practices out of you guys. We need multiple practices, multiple plays, and multiple periods of the different types of responsibilities that we all have to have an organized group of eleven players.
Speaker 1: Tom, they're getting a lot of practice with the screen game. How important is that in terms of the continuity in chemistry? It looks to be a major part of the offense. And some well executed screens at practice this week to all the backs, a variety of backs.
Speaker 6: I love it, Jeff, You know because say, for example, you go to the Tennessee game, which is the first regular season game of the season, and you go, Okay, maybe we're a little bit more secure and fast pass protection than we are with long dropbacks. So now you think of that screen game, you think of play action passing, you think of three step drops. So all those can really play into the hand and assist Caleb Williams to be able to get the ball out of his hands quicker and for the offensive line not to have to sustain blocks as long. And whenever you have athletes getting on the edge in the screen game, man, you could those can compute into some big, big gainers. And it's the same thing with play action pass and three step drops. So you have to make sure that you go into that first regular season game with organized, confident protection for a young quarterback.
Speaker 1: Taste like middle time, Celebrate responsibly. Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two cars per twelve ounces. I really want to focus just on offense in this podcast because there is so much to it and so much That's why we started with Shane Waldron. He's the guy calling the plays, he's the guy that put together the playbook, and now the execution has to come. So everybody's watching everything about Caleb Williams and you haven't seen hard knocks, so hopefully you will and get some. I mean at some point you have to, right, you got to see so we could talk about and that's episode one of the bank. But in the beginning of that episode so much about the learning curve for Caleb Williams and reading body language and seeing his disappointment at times, but left out, in my opinion, was all the successes though as well. And I got to ask you from an offensive line standpoint, for those like the tackles Darnell Wright and Rexton Jones and Tevin Jenkins at left guard and Nate Davis when he was in there at right guard, new center situation, but some of the backups like Larry Borum competing as well here they got used to a certain way with Justin Fields knowing he's gonna probably leave the pocket. More often than not, Caleb will move, but he won't necessarily be leaving the pocket. He will roll out and make a play down the sidelines at the last minute. But as an offensive lineman, how much time will it take for them to understand what Caleb's doing or is it caleb responsibility to let make them feel comfortable in terms of that pocket protection even late in a snap.
Speaker 6: It's twofold here, Jeff. First of all, I think Caleb when he calls the protection in the huddle and then they break it towards the line of scrimmage, he has to understand the construction of the pocket, where does his vulnerabilities lie, Where does more of a lengthy opportunity to look downfield in the in the protection that's up there. Then the offensive line they have to under understand specifically their body positioning to make sure they're constructing the pocket efficiently and effectively. And as for the longest time possible, Caleb is not going to be a one covered run guy. He's going to be a first option, second option checkdown guy. So the longer that you can sustain that pocket, the longer Caleb is going to have to evaluate all the weapons that he sent down field, and they're not always going to be downfield. Some of them could still be in the backfield. He's got a talented group receivers at the backfield position that if that is where it has to go with the football, you can get as big as a play out of that as you will, you know, being able to find one of your talented receivers downfield. But it is you know, these guys going hand in hand and understanding the construction of the pocket and where the most stability in that pocket.
Speaker 1: Is, and they're layering in, They're layer in the new plays each week, adding to the arsenal that they plan on and veiling in the regular season. So some days won't look as good, some days will look better. And I do like what Nick Saban believes, and I've said it many times. Caleb Williams and all quarterbacks essentially are point guards. You're distributing the football, you're scanning the field, and especially mobile quarterbacks, and that's what that's what he has to play. He has to set up others and then when he needs to take a three point shot and throw the deep paw in a clutch moment, there you go splash like Steph Curry from deep. You know, that's the way the play has to be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right, you know, Jeff. A good analogy about being a point guard is point guard is like play action because Shane Waldron talked about the importance of making sure they have a stable of running backs that are really good at carrying the football offensive line. That's good that it's opening holes because the most favorable protection for any offensive line and any quarterback is play action passing. And that's when you need the deception and you have the aggressive run approach approached by the offensive line and then you have a more identified receiver where you're going to go with the football. So the running game is going to play an important role in the overall passing success of this football team. And that's one of the things I was really encouraged about the other night in the Hall of Fame game, is the balance of this offense is going to be equally as important as any other facet of this offense.
Speaker 1: Missy Heart Seltzer Flavors for every Vibe Celebrate Responsibly, Molten Corese Beverage Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Let's talk running backs because and I want to go individually. Here we got DeAndre Travis Homer, Roshawn Johnson, who's a little banged up at the moment. Khalil herbert Ian Wheeler is banged up and not working right now, trying to rehab whatever's bothering him. The rookie running back out of Howard. But the introduction now Veaylist Jones Junior at least this week. At the running back position, and I mean the running back position, he is dealing with pass protection, he is dealing with swings out of the backfield. He's dealing with running the ball between the tackles and he's dealing with running sweeps on the zone blocking excuse me, this zone running offense. So he's getting a taste of it all. We know what he has. He's got unique speed. He's got elite speed. He's a bigger body guy that can create a bounce off of contact. He has contact balance. We've seen that in the kick return game. He's had pass receptions that have been on the big play side of forty plus yards in his young career. How are you looking at this? Why are they doing this? And what do you think is going to happen with this?
Speaker 6: He's a courageous runner at the point of attack. He's willing to lower his shoulder and challenge a tackler if they don't. Some guys don't want to hit guys, and Vayless is a big guy, as you mentioned. But how quickly can you get the ball into the hands of a playmaker? And that's exactly what you're doing with a guy like Vaylas Jones Junior. If he's lined up five yards behind the quarterback in the backfield and it's a simple toss and you get the offensive line out in front of him, and then you let pick and shoes where the hole is going to open up. That's when you give him the opportunity of the playmaker that you know he's got the ability to be. So I like the fact that they're thinking outside the box of Dayless Jones Junior and what he can offer a football team. And he also increases his opportunities to make this football team other than just a kick returner or possibly you know, Jeff, the fifth wide receiver on a football team. If you're the third running back kind of football team and then all of a sudden you show reliability and blitz pick up, you're increasing your value all up and down the NFL board. So I think it's I like the creativity of the Bears coaches and thinking outside the box.
Speaker 1: And if you start with the notion now including the NFL officials that we're in talking to the media about rules changes, that they have boiled it down that the kickoff return is a running play and Baylis Jones Jr. Certainly is still competing for the kick return job, and it is a running play. The way it's constituted this year, it makes it makes a lot of sense. And and and frankly, you know, the the assertion that this is a bubble situation for Baylor's Jones. Yeah, because the Bears do have depth at receiver. Now there's a you know, the big three, unless there's an injury, are gonna be on the field more often than not. And then you have Tyler Scott and then you have many other choices. Colin Johnson's another one. So these there are ways to keep a talent on the field, keep them in, keep them engaged.
Speaker 5: Give them a possibility. He's going to get a few touches every game.
Speaker 6: Well, you know this thing, don't lose the fact that VELAs can line up as a wide receiver. And if you need a wide receiver side, say you put Colin Johnson and Vaylis Jones Junior on the same side, and but they're both going to have blocking responsibility. They're both super willing to do it. They have the bigger type of bodies that can angle attack defensive backfield and now you and create increase the running lane that there is to the outside. So that's what I'm saying. You know, Vayalas could be considered a four position player and it's really it's a really important role in the modern day NFL game day roster.
Speaker 1: All Right, I want to get your thoughts thumbnail on each guy as we go. DeAndre Swift certainly is a meeting and maybe surpassing expectations, and but his role will be in this offense. Certainly we know he can do it. He's got finishing speed, he's got the ability to catch the football, and he looks to me to steal the former baron Pittsburgh Steeler running back Meryl Hodges term a factor back.
Speaker 5: I believe that DeAndre Swift.
Speaker 6: Is used to call himself the factor back of.
Speaker 5: No, No, No.
Speaker 1: He called him the ultra back. He was the ultar back. Yeah, the factor back, ultra back. But anyway, what's your opinion right now?
Speaker 6: You know, I've really been impressed with DeAndre Swift. He's got the innate ability as a running back to understand where and how the hole is going to open up. He's got the explosiveness when he gets to the second level that he can be physical at the third level with yards after initial contact. He's got some of the best hands at the running back position that I've seen in quite a while, because when you're breaking into a new quarterback, it's just not an easy pass to a running back. Usually you're on the move. For a swing pass, you're in a position on a quick screen that the ball is going to be delivered immediately. If it's play action pass, you have to go through a play action fake, and then you have to go out in your route with awareness. So all the responsibilities of a running back outside of just being able to run the ball, DeAndre swifts every one of them, and oh yeah, if he needs to pick up a blitzer, he's he's willing to do that, so and I think that's probably as important to put on notice as anything else that you can do as a complimentary running back.
Speaker 1: He's the lightest back. And then you go to Travis Homer Roshawn Johnson. They're two twenty one and two thirty one respective. Let's start with Rochean obviously sideline here, but we know he's a battering ram. He is willing to take and initiate contact, and you need the change of pace. You need those types of backs to run between the tackles. Travis Homer on third down is looking like he did in Seattle. He was not used in the old system. He was not used in the last couple of years in that regard, and I thought wow when he came from Seattle, because he did have some moments that caught your attention as a third down back. We know he's a special corese special teamer and a very good one. Are you encouraged by the variety that has afforded now? Offensive coordinator Shane Waldron, who knows how to use Homer, he used him in Seattle.
Speaker 6: You know, I quickly wrote, Shawn Johnson's probably the best blocking running back that the Bears have. Going to Homer, He's just got to stay healthy, Jeff, It's a matter of, Yeah, this guy is one of the most physically gifted specimens on this football team. But you got to be able to stay healthy that you have multiple days in the role that they have designed for you, and then you have to show production when you're on field opportunity comes. So that's listen. I'm all for Travis Homer. However, it's about making sure that you can stay healthy. And over the last couple of years that we've had an opportunity to be around him, he's missed some time with injuries, and if he can put together a stretch that he's healthy, he'll be an immediate contributor on kickoff and kickoff return because he's capable of blocking and he's a willing tackler.
Speaker 5: And then there's Khalil Herbert.
Speaker 1: We absolutely know what type of player we have here in Khalil Herbert, and he's working very hard out there right now. A finishing back as well led the league and yards per carried two years ago.
Speaker 5: What is your opinion of Khalil Herbert right now?
Speaker 6: He's got a significant burst, he's super thick lower body. Whenever he lowers his shoulder pads, his tackling target becomes really small and there's always yards after initial contact. Listen, Khalil Herbert belongs in the NFL. Does he fit into this system? I hope so. But somewhere along the line, he is going to be in the NFL, and he's not an easy tackle. And he's another guy that missed a significant amount of time with an injury last year, but then kind of turned back into himself in the Ladder Star Ladder part of the year.
Speaker 1: And of course, if Curry blasting game, the six year veteran six feet two hundred and forty nine pounds, we were well familiar with his game as well as special teams.
Speaker 6: I want to see him have more opportunities to catch the ball. We've seen him make some incredible catches on wheel routes and downfield opportunities. I'm sure if you give him some screen chances with some big blockers in front of them, if you get them in the open field against a corner or a safety, he's willing to be a punishing running back. So but now you talk about fullback, h back, h back are more tight ends. Full backs are exactly what they're designed to be. So there's a little bit of competition between tight ends that can play h backs and full backs.
Speaker 1: We are brought to you my P and C Official Bank of the Bears, one of our partners that was in the viewing suite at Hallis Hall during practices this week. We have the privilege to speak to all these folks and their clients, other partners like doctor Pepper and Cannon, and we don't want to miss anybody. But we've really enjoyed it and Tom out of those conversations because we don't know what we're going to talk about.
Speaker 5: It just whatever's top of mind.
Speaker 1: We try to make them different every week, every day, and but my takeaway is that everybody's excited they they feel it just like anybody else, and it's more of just it's more than hope. They believe it, and it's the way it is in the building. We all feel the same way. We have great expectations. We don't know how it's going to turn out. But I know you like doing those two They take you down memory lane as being an eighty five Bear champion to certainly the Hall of Fame discussion with McMichael and Hester and Pepper's how have you enjoyed those and your interactions with these fans because they're also very very well educated about football.
Speaker 6: You know that there's a company for Ego, for example, that's in Aperville, so there's six degrees of separation from somebody that works in that company and people that I've grown up with. There's a girl that introduced herself there and her roommate in college was a family that I grew up here with in Joe. Yet, so I like meeting the fans of the Bears. But you know what, one thing that's been cool about the Bears this year, and I think it was the anticipation of the last night. Everybody wanted to see hard knocks and because you get some exposure to the Bears through the Hall of Fame Weekend, the Hall of Fame Game, the weekly, the daily coverage on the news that the Chicago Bears get. But now you're you're there the prime. You're the premiere of a eight of an HBO series that's going to be you know, have more episodes coming up that you get a little bit more exposure behind the scenes of Hallas Hall, just like the people that do get a chance to come into Hallis Hall and watch practice. You know, it's it is. It is a luxury and it's a great opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yep, they took you behind the scenes. For those of you who haven't seen it. One of the things that has made its way out on the Twitter verse and whatever is theo Benedette, You did.
Speaker 5: Hear about this? Correct?
Speaker 6: Yes? Can you?
Speaker 5: Can?
Speaker 1: You have imagined doing that? And did did you back in the day? Did you rookies and were you considered a rookie even though you played several years in the USFL before you joined the Bears, a couple of years in the USFL, did you have to do anything in front of the team.
Speaker 6: So I haven't been a part of a rookie show since my freshman year of Notre Dame, and that was a nasty deal because you had to go up there as a freshman and you had to perform in front of the upper classmen. But the upper classmen would come in there and they would bring like a wet bag of toilet paper or some moist dinner rolls, and if you got up there and you were doing something that they didn't like.
Speaker 5: You were pelt.
Speaker 6: You got pelted. So what did you do?
Speaker 5: Or can you say?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 6: It was something we made up a song to my wiener has a first name, it's Oscar in the Oscar Meyer song. But we made it up using the coaches' names, and a group of us mimicked the habits of the coaches that we barely knew at that point. And so luckily we had a good response from the upper classmen and we did get pelted, not that badly. But the thing about it is after the rookie show, all the freshmen have to stay around and clean up.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, knowing you, I know you dreaded having to get up there and do something like that.
Speaker 6: Well, I you know I did. I did dread it, but I didn't mind it because I was going up there with a couple of my other classmates at that point, Marks of Agnan and Bob Clasby and a couple of other guys that I was just getting to know.
Speaker 5: So I G you avoided in eighty five.
Speaker 6: I wasn't a rookie.
Speaker 5: Wow, you dodged a bullet, didn't you.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Someone said, you know, getting the cafeteria stand in the chair and singing, and I said, no, I'm not going to do it. I'm not a rookie.
Speaker 5: Nice taste like middle Time.
Speaker 1: Go to middlelight dot com slash bears Pod to find delivery options near you. Celebrate responsibly Miller Brewing Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Ninety six calories and three point two carbs for twelve ounces.
Speaker 5: Let's listen in to.
Speaker 1: Bear's rookie wide receiver Roma Doonday at the podium this week about his progress so far, right.
Speaker 2: I think I'll just try and take a lot, you know. I just I just tried to take in, you know, every every route that they run and what they see on different coverages. They probably annoy with me all the things that I ask him about. But yeah, I try and gain as much information as I can as possible, but as possible. But sometimes I look back, I'm like, man, I'm not even gonna ask a questions about that. Like whatever he did right there, that's that's something special for him, you know what I mean. And that's one thing that you uh, you Gardner too, Like you know, sometimes I watch King and sometimes I watch DJ and they do things. I'm like, Okay, I don't know if that's in my playbook. You know, I'm gonna have to figure out a different way to you know, get the route done. Because they're they're they're special in that way. They have, you know, such such unique traits to be able to do so many different things and comfortability to get open on any given route. So just learning those things and learning the different nuances that they that they do within a route and catching the ball that I try and emulate. But you know, got to find my own side within that as well.
Speaker 8: To DJ's extension.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's that's crazy, you know what I mean. I was. I was super happy, you know, just the minimum time that we've we've got to spend each other. He's been a great mentor for me and you know, a great ambassador of this organization in this league as a whole great person on and off the field and a great player as well. So to me, I was like, you know, ecstatic. You know, I think he's the first player to have this first ten years guaranteed, right or something like that. Man, that's that's huge, you know, to have that happen, and he deserves it all. Honestly, he's I think he's continued to be underrated in this league.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I think if you turn on the tape and see what he's capable of doing is tremendous. So I'm glad that they finally got to settle.
Speaker 5: You came in pretty confident for this season.
Speaker 6: But anything you've seen or done in the last in the first couple of weeks or two plus weeks of practice, that have given you even more confidence that you can come in here and make an impact immediately.
Speaker 5: You've learned anything that you didn't know you don't.
Speaker 2: Just oh, I mean, I think I think all the skill sets that I kind of learned learning college, like, there's there's nothing that like kind of that I've gone against that was like like it's tough and it's competitive, for sure, but there's nothing out there where it's like, man, this is gonna be too much to overcome or you know, something like that, Like you know, it's just you know, different levels of competition and then different athleticism levels, and people knowing where where they're supposed to be at when they're supposed to be there, especially you know, defenses and coverage and zone coverage, man covers and know the responsibilities.
Speaker 6: So I want to.
Speaker 2: Say it's anything like unexpected, it's just more heightened and more you know, uh detailed within within any given play, uh coach Grub, my old coordinator, you should say, you know, be be the signal, you know, not the distraction. And you know there's a bunch of signals on this team, guys who you know are the beacon for people, and a bunch of you know, uh signals and beacons out there in the world that you know, they they radiate that energy, that that that sound, that noise, and you know, focusing on those things, I think it's most important. And of course number one beacon, you know, being God, you know, anything you do playing through him and going towards his like you'll probably all.
Speaker 5: Right, you were talking about the special things that Keenan does. What are some of the things that you see him do that think you.
Speaker 2: Just saying, oh man, keenan man uh. I mean, first of all, like him moving around at like his size is just crazy. Like his explosiveness, his agility, his route deception, his you know, speed deception, acceleration, all those different nuances within the route. He's he's mastered it. And you know it's it's so many subtle things within the route that he does that you know, it takes a you know, very keen eye to even you know, notice the things that he's doing. And and obviously no one's figured it out yet because they still can't guard him. So one of the most impressive things is his cuts too, Like he can cut on his outside foot, he can cut on his inside foot, and you know, he's staying off the grass and is able to maintain his balance, you know, every single time. So I think that's something that's very unique to him. But yeah, you're.
Speaker 6: Learning from Keen DJ. What's been the thing that just in this short time you've been able to add to your game that you feel you didn't have last season?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: I think you know, especially within man covers, you know, the nuances of that route. I mean, we got a good bit of man covers that you do. But you know, I think learning from them, they're you know, always trying to make things look vertical. And that was the point that you know, wide receiver coaches in my past, you know, have emphasized as well. But at this point in the league, at this you know, all of them the league, everybody's fast, you know what I mean. The you know, the difference between speed is you know, milliseconds you know, or you know, however little it was no allows one that the other day. That's you know, the speed difference at this level. So you got to have you know, speed, you know, in and out of breaks, and you know, always streatening to go deep in that that that puts defenders in the buying.
Speaker 1: He continues to impress me Tom his intelligence about the game. He speaks like a veteran. Frankly, he's learning a ton from Keenan Allen and DJ Moore and everybody else. And I I think he's gonna flip like a slipper. It's gonna be a nice added bonus for the Bears here in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: You know, I think he comes from a good competitive college working atmosphere. So the jump to the NFL isn't too big for him. He understands that he can gain a lot of knowledge from the veteran receivers that he's working with. He understands that he's been developing a really good friendship with Caleb Williams, and he knows how important each of their development is step by step together is going to be in the all and how it plays out on this football team and throughout his career. And you know, Rome's a cool guy to listen to at the podium. You know he's you can hear the youthfulness in his approach and the way he answers questions. However, he respects the veterans that he's around in what he can take from each one of these guys.
Speaker 1: And he's an inch talleran and six pounds heavier at least on paper than Keenan Allen, who has got a really strong lower half of his body that clearly helps him play his position at the level he does in his ability to explode out of his routes, even at eleven years deep into his NFL career. So great guy to learn from. Anything else that sticks out in that conversation with Romadounza.
Speaker 6: I just think it's important when you are so congratulatory about the way they went about showing DJ Moore the love with giving him a new contract, and it's not envy, its respect and understanding that you know, he says, what now, this is ten years of guaranteed contract for a veteran like DJ Moore, But he also understands that it's out of performance and it's out of what you've been able to do as a player in the NFL that's got you to this point. And I think that's a nice reflection to have have from a rookie that's just come aboard from a group of receivers that are so talented and respected, that have Hall of Fame credentials. So I just like the fact that these guys are going to play an important role in the way we're talking about Roma Dunza in three or four years and where he's at in his career.
Speaker 1: I want to go to the offensive line, and I want to touch on a guy who has yet to practice, and that is Karanamagaji, the third round pick. Chris Morgan, the Bears run game coordinator an offensive line coach, was asked about him if he's going to be able to get into a training camp practice here before the regular season, he says, he hopes so, and he's very very excited about Karanamagaji, potential tackle candidate here also can play guard from Yale Quad Taar last October, recovering from that. But he's doing well in his rehab. He is getting stronger, he says, in the weight room, and he is very attentive and understands the playbook in the classroom and the assignments are So he's very excited about this player, are.
Speaker 6: You, Jeff. There's two guys on this offensive line that are only one position player, and that's Braxton Jones, a left tackle, and Darnell right the right tackle. Every other single person that we're talking about that are on the field are playing multiple positions, even Tevin Jenkins right guard, left guard. So when you look at a guy like Amagaji, who's gonna wear number seventy two jersey, he's got the template of an offensive lineman that you could put in there and play at multiple positions, and whether it's from center to tackle, he you know, he can line up at every one. And I'm going to be interested as much as Chris Morgan is when they finally do get him in pads to see how he makes that transition from the IVY League to the NFL. Other guys have done it successfully and I expect Amagaji to do it successfully as well. But super intelligent, a really good athlete. Get it some work in and see how he fits in and where do you determine him to fit the best.
Speaker 5: Tom, we got to talk about the hip drop tackle. I know it.
Speaker 1: It's something that you were outspoken about a year ago when it became a discussion point because of injuries. Frankly, it was taught once upon a time to tackle that way, and now it's going to be something that's going to draw you a flag. And even if it's not called on the field, upon review by the league, if it's considered and checks three boxes on the list of reasons why it'd be called the hip drop tackle, you will be fined after the game, even if you didn't get a flag in the game for this. It's a tricky thing at the moment. It's a bit subjective at times, but not if three factors and that is the way you wrap, leave your feet and roll on the back of the legs of a player while you're bringing him down to the ground a hip drop tackle. Your thoughts on this. The referees explained it in great detail this week up at Househall.
Speaker 6: Very sad, very sad for the game of football that they take such a reactionary game, a reactionary position, and they say, there's a guy up in the booth that can make the determination that I'm going to find you after the fact because the player you went to tackle didn't stop, and so as he's carrying his momentum to try to gain yards after contact, you happen to have your body that goes to as backside as you're bringing him to the ground. If you want to do that, then tell the defensive player, all right, you stop as soon as you get you make contact with the defensive player. I think it's a little ridiculous, you know, just like they're you know, all the other changes that they've made in the NFL. They think they're making it to make the game safer. That's ridiculous because now you have players that may be slowing down because they're already thinking, oh, I can't make this a hip drop. Oh I don't want to get fined in an enormous amount of money and it's like I said, it's a reactionary game, and I think it's unfair what you're doing to the game.
Speaker 1: I hope I explained it correctly. It's it's the swiveling of the hips. It's dragging down and then if if if your legs, ankle, or foot are trapped, that is considered you know, so they got to check three boxes.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Coach Iberflus, when we've talked about this in our podcast during the season last year, he doesn't coach that his is a hamstring tackle. So the ability to attack face up and get yourself in a position and staggered feet to drive yourself into the ball carrier.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: So that's how he teaches it. He doesn't teach it any other way. But yeah, I mean, I didn't play the game. So you take, you take.
Speaker 6: We're gonna play hypothetical Jeff and Tom. And hypothetical Jeff is his name is Jeff Zonka, and my name is Tom Singletary, and Jeff Zonka is carrying the football, and I'm in an open field position, and between you and the goal line is me, this linebacker. So now as you put your head down to gain the extra yards after contact, as I absorb that punishing hit by Jeff Zanka, my body kind of swings around and I and that's the only thing that I'm doing is holding on to you for dear life. And then all of a sudden you fall forward and my body falls on the back of you. So now I'm going to get penalized for that instead of saying, okay, Jeff Zanka, don't lower your head as soon as you've seen me facing you up, and you stop and lay down right there, and then we'll do it like rugby. We'll put the ball down and go to a scrum. So I'm just yeah, whether you teach it or you don't teach it, the instantaneousness of contact is unpredictable. So yeah, called me old and all that. But you know, Larry's Aunka, Pete Johnson, Tony Dorset, Walter Campbell, Earl Campbell, Adrian Peterson, all these types of guys that Eric Henry. It's it's an emergency situation when you're trying to tackle these guys, even the Barry Sanders. You can't stay in a perfect tackling position when you tackle Barry Sanders, Walter Payton's gonna drive his helmet right into your chest and run you over, just like Earl Campbell did in the Highlight against the RAM. So just the instantaneousness of football and you're trying to make a post you know, a post evaluation of a tackle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we went through this discussion when they started with the you know, the helmet to helmet and how often that happens. And I raised a question to those guys yesterday and I said, you know, how many of because the running backs could also anybody who initiates contact with the crown of their helmet, including a running back who's trying to get him maybe into the end zone, he lowers his head and it happens to be helmet to helmet contact, you could get flagged. And I wondered how many running backs And he couldn't answer that question because I haven't seen much of it. And but you know, he says people have adjusted, and that's the point they were trying to make. Is now, they didn't come up with this rule. It's the Competition committee, obviously in the name of health, and so they've changed, they've altered the way this is now being approached, and they haven't seen a preponderance of helmet to helmet anymore.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, all these rule changes could be made by a guy a lot of guys that have never played football before, and it doesn't going to change my mind, and I'm going to agree with it. I still think, you know, football, like Dicka said, if football is a collision sport, it's not a contact sport. And so when you challenge the cur the courage and the courageousness of all offense and defensive players, sometimes that contact is not pretty, but you know, it is what it is, and I guess changes will be made. I would be furious, though, Jeff, if I got a fine slip. I showed up on a Wednesday and I get a fine slip because some guy up in the booth determined that I made a hip drop tackle.
Speaker 1: Busy Heart Seltzer Flavors for every Vibe, Celebrate Responsibly, Molten Course Beverage Company, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. All right, let's look at the Buffalo Bills. I'm not sure who they're going to play it again, early taping here before the game, Bears leve on Friday, play on Saturday at noon in Orchard Park. And the fans, they love it out there. They're crazy fanatics. They will be loud and proud even in the preseason game, and it'll be fun to see. That's a perennial A Division contending team in the AFC East that has not been able to get over the hump with the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC and the Baltimore Ravens and the AFC, so a tough AFC. You know who the premier teams are in that AFC. Throw the Miami Dolphins in there as well with their speed at receiver into a But how do you feel about playing the Bills? And you'll be seeing a lot of Mitch Trubisky, the former Bears quarterback.
Speaker 6: You know, they're a premier football team in the AFC, considered a real Super Bowl contender with one of the top three to five quarterbacks in the NFL and Josh Allen. They're on the cusp of building a new stadium. So when you're talking about the Buffalo Bills, it's a unique atmosphere to go into play. They support their team in the preseason as well as the regular season, so when you talked about the communication inside the stadium, it's going to be more difficult than it was at the Hall of Fame. Game or what they faced that practice. There's a kind of a coach that may be on the hot seat already that these guys better perform, and they better perform from the beginning of preseason into the regular season. And like you said, it's we don't know who's going to play, but I would imagine that they're going to have starters that are going to be out there unless there's an injury scenario that we're not aware of yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've had to get younger on defense because they paid Josh Allen Stefan Diggs is gone. They made a trade obviously with the Houston Texans for that, but the big safeties that made such a dramatic impact on that defense are gone. Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde no longer the safety. So younger guys moving up the chain, and at some point, when you're paying your quarterback that kind of money, that's going to happen. Von Miller trying to work himself back after a year last year we played eleven games, did not have a sack coming off acl the year before.
Speaker 6: Tommy, Yeah, he's one of the guys that I wouldn't expect to play if I'm the head coach or if I'm the GM of the Buffalo Bills, Von Miller is not going to see the field most likely into the regular season. However, they have some other pass rushers and defensive line I'm in that you have to be concerned about. And when you talk about roles changing on a defense, you know you're gonna see some guys out there that are going to be flying around because they're going to be fighting for the respect of their coaches so they can climb up that ladder of being considered a starter instead of a backup.
Speaker 1: All right, that's going to ramp us up or Brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears and by Miller Lte Tommy. We'll talk to you next week on the podcast, but we'll talk to you Saturday afternoon from Buffalo Special. Thanks to you for listening, and please subscribe now in the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcast and tom homework Assignment. Find a way go see episode one of Hard Knocks.
Speaker 6: I'll come over your house. I don't have HBO.
Speaker 5: You're welcome anytime. Thanks for listening to everybody.
Speaker 4: Bear down Less first