Speaker 1: Walk up ship well very weirdy walk glashic.
Speaker 2: M.
Speaker 3: Hello. My name is Buddy Peace. I'm a producer and editor, a DJ music maker, a North American US and for intro and outro purposes and temporarily standing in for your regular host and proud creator of this particular podcast, mister Brett Goldstein. As sun Ra once said, the music is different here, the vibrations are different, not like Planet Earth. Planet Earth sounds of guns, anger and frustration. There will be no one from Planet Earth we could talk to who would understand. On that note, I'm not sure how well I understand Vin Vendor's perfect Days, But on reflection, maybe it's more of an experience kind of vibe. I'd have to agree, Sonra. Just go with it, I think is a strategy for that one. Every week bretton vites a guest on he tells them they've died, and then he talks to them about their life through the medium of film. But this week we are revisiting an earlier episode of the podcast while we build a bridge between seasons and schedules are aligning. We will be back as soon as possible, though, with the newness trust us on that. So yes, indeed, it is that time once more for a films to be buried with rewind classic. This particular rewind is from September the sixth, twenty eighteen, originally episode nine, featuring comic writer, podcaster and every episode intro name check featurer Ed Gamble, a superb one from way back in the early days when the podcast was mere months old and where a lot of the current features and favorites you might have come to know and appreciate it we still being sculpted and formed episode to episode. This is the first of three ED episodes and perfect for anyone who missed it initially, is a fan of ED in general and the of Menu podcast of course, which I think this predates, or anyone who wants to revisit a really fun one in the archives. You may also enjoy a surprise cameo from show friend Lou Sanders, who, in the few seconds we hear, hints at what would become her own podcast, Cuddle Club. Let me take this opportunity to also remind you that Brett has a Patreon page for the podcast, upon which you get a bonus section every episode with a secret from each guest, more questions and a video of each episode, which looks all nice and fresh. There are a selection of tears on their two and the uppermost tiers. I make you a cinematic soundtrack mixtape each month with full track list. I reckon you'll enjoy it very much. So if you're of a supporting nature and feel like some extras from the show, you'll find them all there. However, on this particular egg Gamble episode, there was not a Patreon version of it, so just to let you know, in this case, this actually predates when we started the Patreon, so just to make you aware of that, apologies for that one.
Speaker 1: So that is it for now.
Speaker 3: Let's get you settled in for a historically important look back at fabulous episode with the always great egg Gamble. Catch up at the end for a quick sign off, But for now, please enjoy episode nine via episode two nine six of Films to be Buried With.
Speaker 2: We are this is such an odd setup, mate, Hello and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is me Brett Goods Tea your host. I'm doing today in a bedroom by actor, writer, comedian star of Mock the Week. It's Everybody's favorite man called Ed. It's Ed Gambo Hello, Brett.
Speaker 1: It's the first time I've ever been called an actor.
Speaker 2: First, well, I was trying to like save the best for love nor this respect or a wonderful.
Speaker 1: Actor, bit of a burn on my acting?
Speaker 2: Wonderful? You mean it like that? Aurarently at the moment makes you focusing understand that what we're being at the Edinburgh Fring not getting any acting and the lack of the current acting because he's doing much standard that's it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, true? And can I just describe the setup quickly for everyone? Bro, you may and if I don't like what you say, this is fine. It's your it's your bedroom. Yeah, I'm sat on a computer chair. You're sat on a kitchen chair, and for reasons of sound quality, where sat quite far apart. So there's quite a big gap between us. And it feels like or interview me for some sort of sexy job.
Speaker 2: It does. And also the way that I've sat, I've as my legs are quite wide open, spread spread eagle, i'd say, and they weren't a second ago. It didn't look like a move anyway. Welcome to my bedroom. Were at the Edinbur Fringe Festival. You're doing your show. It's called Blizzard. It is called Blizzard, correct, and how is it going? It's been very nice, Thank you, enjoyed it very much. The typical Edin re fringe roller coaster.
Speaker 1: Yes, some nights you feel like the best comedian in the world, and then the next night you might only feel like the second in the world or lower, much lower than that. But it's fine.
Speaker 2: But always in the top seven thousand.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, I think. Yeah, I reckon. I don't want to sound arrogant, but I think I might be in the top seven thousand comedians in the Britain in Britain Revenge Festival. Yeah, I agree with that, definitely. I'm just glad you cracked the top seven thousand. Finally, what's about films in that? Do you like them? I do? Does anyone not?
Speaker 2: Some people? Some people don't like films, and these days lots of people who just watched the Telly don't they.
Speaker 1: Yes, I must admit I think my love for films has waned somewhat in the last five or so years. Well, yeah, I think no, but I do. I really like films, but I think my attention span has gone. Yeah, so I like going to the cinema because you have to watch it I'm very bad at watching films or television. I'll just sit down and my mind will wander so easily.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is why I consently fight for the cinema, because I do think it's like the last place you can, if nothing else, concentrate for now.
Speaker 1: I agree, absolutely agree to.
Speaker 2: Any phone off in the dark man got a choice, m M. But at home, you know them sort of artie films, Yeah, us, if you will. I couldn't watch them at home because you've got to give them time. They're quite slow. You'd be bored. Also, in Twitter, there's no one.
Speaker 1: Else there to see that you're watching them and go, oh it's posh.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. To watch an ARTI film, you need someone else. You need to be like watching it and thinking am I doing the right face?
Speaker 2: Shall I tell you a story? I've never told them this product. I just realized about artiicles.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: My sister so I go to the London Film festivever. It was always like a highlight of my year. Love films, don't I and my sister always got jealous because I would sometimes take my mom. I'd go with my dad, but I never took her because I always thought she know it, don't give a shit. Yeah, And then she was like, how come you never take me to the London Film Vessel And I was like, all right, I'll take you. So I took her to see a film called Mamaire. It was a French film had Isabella uper in it. Yeah, it had a very high, high pedigree. I thought, well, she doesn't like this, I gave it a go. We went to see it. The first sign of trouble was that the only audience were made up of men in trade. He also had to get that we were like right at the end of a row, but it was like a row against the wolves.
Speaker 1: So once we're in, we can't leave. You were trapped, yea. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So basically the film begins with someone's mother dies, Oh no, dad dies, bad dies and he gets on the floor and masturbates over pictures he finds in his dad's drawer, right, and he's forced to spend time with his mum, who hasn't spent time in before. She takes him out for the evening. Someone hit her and her mates to can finger up his in a taxi together. Yeah. Then towards the end of the film, things escalate towards the end of the things escalate from there towards the end of the film. These are all spoilers. She cuts a hole in her tummy for him to crawl back inside her. Then she dies at the end, the very end of the film, which I do think is by the great endings of the cinema. He's at the hospital. She's in like a sort of glass almost like a glass coffin, like snow white, and he's, you know, like an et, it's almost like that, and he's banging on the end like let me see her. The doctor lets him in, go and have one of us look at your mom. And then the doctor walks down the coiler runs screaming into the room to find him furiously whanking underneath a glass coffin. And then he chases an ambulance down the street to the song So happy Beauty get there. And I said to my sister, that is why I don't take it.
Speaker 1: I mean, what are the friends rap to? I don't know, But that's the good Lord, that's why they make films.
Speaker 2: If you don't get that, you don't ken Lates don't do that, which is a more entertaining film that or kids do you want a bird in the bin or a boy trying to climb back inside his mamma?
Speaker 1: I think, why can't we just have a happy medium?
Speaker 2: What is the middle between those two? One can ever a burd in a bin? But it sounds like dumb and damo that might come up later. Okay, sorry, so that's all right. Films you used to like him?
Speaker 1: No, I still I still like them, but I don't. I don't watch as many films as I think I should.
Speaker 2: Oh, terrible news, and I forgot to tell you anything. God, it's so bad that I left it so late because it's going to be a terrible shot. And I sposed have wounded, but I say this, ed You've you've died. Oh no, he died. I'm so sorry at.
Speaker 1: The Edinburgh Festival. How did you die? You tell me? Oh it was it was at the Edinburgh Festival. I mean the more realistic answer would be from complications relating to type one diabetes, but probably for the lighthearted version. I went up Arthur's seat and I tripped over a shoelace and I rolled all the way down to the bottom.
Speaker 2: So I mean, it's a good it's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I only died right at the end as well. So I rolled all the way down like the Princess Bride. Yeah, I tumbled all the way down. I was like one of them cheeses in Gloucester.
Speaker 2: And then as you wrote it down, did you go as you.
Speaker 1: No, what I was doing was going that's what I was doing, just keeping it realistic.
Speaker 2: But I was going on no stuff like that, you don't right at the end, Yeah, so you experienced the Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I took out two from all over the world on the way down. They're all dead as well. Yeah, And about halfway down I've taken out a lot of tourists accidentally. But about halfway down I was like, look, this is the end for me. I may as well take out a few more so, you know, learn how to steer myself and take him out. Yeah. Towards the end, it was a bit like live action something the Hedgehog, and there's a great thank you.
Speaker 2: It's dead.
Speaker 1: Something that worries you, not really, you know, looking forward to it. I'm not looking forward to it, but it doesn't. It's not something that keeps me awake at night. I don't think I was. I've never been one of those guys who stays up late pondering the problems with the universe.
Speaker 2: What is it you are thinking about?
Speaker 1: An I just sleep, Just have a nice sleep.
Speaker 2: Mate, Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you think that there's a there's more on the other.
Speaker 1: Side, I sincerely doubt it. Okay. Also, I can't be bothered. This is enough, isn't it. You've put in the people are like life's too short. It's not really No, I do agree with that. Yeah, it'd be so annoying if you died and then you're like, oh, now now there's something and there's this is not finite anymore, this is forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people always live every day is if it's your last. Then you get to the other side and it's like, oh, it's a surprised there is no last.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what forever? Now? I always doing so many mad things. Yeah, it depends what it is. Really.
Speaker 2: If it was like you're just floating around like a bit of gas, that'd be all right.
Speaker 1: As long as there's no like asmin or chores or you have to chat to anyone. You're right. If you're part of just a larger consciousness, yeah, that'd be fine. If you're a hive mind, yeah, if you're part of a hive mind. But if it was like, oh, yeah, you're working, You're working in heaven now, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't like that at a low level admin position, yeah.
Speaker 1: Because that'd be what I had end happened. I've had it too good on earth. You get to be a comedian. No, there's no stand up. But I think because I get to be a comedian and do what I love on Earth, probably when I get to heaven, I probably have to put the work in and God working like tax or something. Oh God, this is awful. Yeah, so answer that question. I don't think there is an afterlife. If there is a hope, it's you're a bit of gas and it's not admint based.
Speaker 2: I mean, now I'm scared of death. If you're your admin based.
Speaker 1: I've made myself. I've given myself.
Speaker 2: Someone stayed up to that. Yeah, Well there was good news, actually excellent good news. Surprise, surprise, there is a heaven. Right, there's no admin. Yes, I mean it's taken care of by the Hive Mind, which you didn't join, okay, because it turned out you were giving up so many gots to jo and they said you can join the haves forgot badmint. Yeah that I'll just be a flated gas man. But yeah, the floated gas man. Yeah, everyone wants to talk to but in nice people and they just want to talk about films. Are obsessed with them. Okay, cool, and no one know about your life through them. And the first thing they ask is like, what's the first film you ever saw? Do you remember seeing?
Speaker 1: That's a tricky one, that the first film I remember saying that actually had an impact on me. Yeah, it's probably that there was, right, there was a film that This isn't my official answer, but I think I probably saw this before the film that I am going to give us my official answer, But I don't remember anything about it. Yeah, and I saw it on video. It's the only video that my grandparents had. And it's an animated film called The Velveteen Rabbit. Right, that is a real film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite a short film, yes, And it is about a boy who has a rabbity toy rabbit and loves it and loves it and it does it and then the rabbit he gets mumps or or he gets scarlet fever or something like that, and the rabbit has it and so they have to burn the rabbit.
Speaker 1: It's the animated film, right, This will be why I've blocked it out of my mind. That sounds absolutely horrific, and I apparently I watched that every time I went to my grandparents as well. What miserable little child? Burn it again? Burn the Rabbit? Yeah, that sounds absolutely miserable. Why are films about rabbits so depressing? Down velvety rabbit? Who framed?
Speaker 2: He did?
Speaker 1: Framing the poor com Are you framing the rabbit? The rabbits have been through enough, haven't though? Still fit? Wife? Frame away, get him framed. So my official answer is the first time I remember saying at the cinema, which was with my dad, the first time I went to cinema, I think the first time my dad took me to the cinema. Anyway, and it is mister Nanny. Oh great film starring Logan. I'm a hugely underrated actor and now a very problematic celebrity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but is his acting good enough to forgive it?
Speaker 1: Of course not, of course not. I mean, he is a hugely underrated actor. But I don't think he's traditionally a good actor. I think he brings the same thing to the role every time and that thing is a mustache and some lips like this.
Speaker 2: I just did it next good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brother is great. It's a really good fun I mean it's it's in a weird tradition of films, big men playing babies, a big man baby. There's the Vindies or is that the passive Yeah, I'm sure the kindergarten cop there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then well, the only one that doesn't fit the bill that is a very strange film in hindsight is the film mister Mum and Michael keating with the twist is their husband does a bit of work. It's not big enough though, is Yeah, he's not big enough to fit the He's got slender Yeah, that was a weird new subset. Slender parent.
Speaker 1: Well, three men and a baby of course, the triple slenders although salex salex beefy Yeah, and he's got the test yeah makes him. Yeah, that's genre. Mister Manny is a great film. Yeah, I have actually seen it since it holds out, Yeah, I think it holds up.
Speaker 2: Does your dad like it?
Speaker 1: I doubt it. I can't imagine him liking that.
Speaker 2: Where was it you went? You?
Speaker 1: No, it would have been it would have been like a round sort of Wimbledon. Oh yeah, around there south southwest London. Would have gone to have seen Mister Nanny, just you and him, just me and him. So I think that's probably why it sticks sticks in my memory. I have a half brother and half sister, okay, so I've been to the cinema with them plenty, but this was pre them being invented. Okay, so yeah, big trip to go and see Mister Nannie. Remember being quite excited about it. Yeah, I mean it's not a good film, really, is it?
Speaker 2: Agree to disagree?
Speaker 1: It's fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well I think it's when like the films like that sort of do what they are meant to do, and they and Miss Nanni, I think, does it perfectly. Well, yeah, what's going on? This was a failure of the Big Man Babysitter film?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose there's no way you're going to see a film that you know, Hot Cokin's in playing a babysitter and you're expecting anything other than that.
Speaker 2: You don't come out of Miss Nanny going. But it wasn't Sh'S List.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I was expecting something a little more higher brout from Hulk. Was that was that?
Speaker 2: Even based on the true Stories. It's even met a kid.
Speaker 1: Horrible children as well. Yes, I quite enjoyed films like that, I think where the children are just absolutely off the leash. Yeah, were you not off the lease that? I'm very very well behaved, I think at home, but they were doing horrible things to him, like they were electrocuting people.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I think, missus Annie was around the similar thing of that home alone where it became like very violent.
Speaker 1: Slapstick was in, yes, and Problem Child. Do you remember those remember films? Yeah, Slapstick, violence.
Speaker 2: Children, Slapstick. Yeah, yeah, And that's the I think about. It really quite disturb me.
Speaker 1: And I'm not going to I mean, it's bad for your podcast, But I'm not good at remembering details but of films, so I'm very much calling upon news to remember details of the film. But I believe there was a bad guy with a metal head I were.
Speaker 2: It's possible, but I was thinking you might be confusing it with Suburban Commandate.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, that's perfectly possible because I am a big fan of Bourban.
Speaker 2: Commando also plays a big man alien.
Speaker 1: He plays a big man alien, and there's clearly an important scene that's edited out early on that they do a callback to at the end. It's like when you do stand up and you end up doing a call back to a joke you've forgotten to do. There's a bit oft the end of the film where Holt goes up some kids playing on a skateboard in the street and he does a big flip on the skateboard. He like does an amazing olie and lands on it and he hands it back to the kid and he goes tell your mother to keep practicing. There's no relevance to anything else that's happened in the film. Wonderful film for Bourban Commando.
Speaker 2: Do you think when they were at the premier of that film, the editor to the director, I'm so sorry, I forgot the kids skateboarding.
Speaker 1: Big fan of big fan of the Hulkster h three Ninja Hiding Nutbaga Mountain is an another classic. Yeah, but yeah, I think it's just the memory of going to see it with my dad, very excited to go and see a film with and it's very sweet.
Speaker 2: Do you go to Is that something that continued exactly that shit?
Speaker 1: I don't think he goes to the cinema. Really. We used to actually went so. When I was younger, and then my half brother and half sister were born, we all used to go on trips to the cinema. All of the Lord of the Rings films. Got some lovely, lovely memories from those. I saw the second one four times at the cinema. Oh my god, that's about thirteen hours worth. That's your life. Yeah, yeah, if I go over there, we'll watch a film now and again. But my dad does a thing where he insists on putting on a film obviously, and then falls asleep halfway through it, which I think is a very bad thing to do.
Speaker 2: Everything.
Speaker 1: There was one one night who we went out for a few drinks, like it was just about the age to you know, go out for a few drinks with my dad. We're both absolutely yeah, it was twelve, yeah, knocking back, the bodies got back, and he was like, right, if you watched Ben Hur? I went no, It's like, come on, it's like midnight, Like we're both drunk. Not watch Ben Harri's like if you've not, because I've not seen Ben Haryes like, you've got to watch Ben her You've got to watch Ben Hur put on Ben Hurt. So I put on Ben hurt and he fell asleep within a minute. And then and then I went dad, and he went, oh no, it's a bedtime. I think we can't watch a whole film. Then who is long? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well not in my dad's mind. So one minute that's all he needs. He understands the absolutely. Well, that's lovely. What is the film that's scared you the most? Oh?
Speaker 1: It is a good question, that isn't it. So I don't think I scare very easily.
Speaker 2: You like horror.
Speaker 1: I do like horror, but I don't think I like horror because it scares me. What do you like about horry? I find horror quite funny? Okay, I find it impressive. I think it's a very it's an invention. It's an inventive genre. I think there's lots of room for invention. And I like silly horror as well. And I probably like the horror films that other people think are a bit stupid, like I like All the Night More on Elm Street films, great, all of them. I like how they went from trying to be scary to realizing the comic potential and then just going all in on that same Medievil Dead trilogy, realized how funny that was. I really like the sore films. I like the Hostel films.
Speaker 2: I don't like those. You don't think I don't like people being hurt slowly films? Right, But I understand as a market fit. But I get upset.
Speaker 1: But what I what I enjoy about that is not the people getting hurt slowly. It's the ways in which people are getting hurt. People are getting hurt slowly. You like the invention of yes exactly. Yeah, And I think it's a very silly idea, and I think they took it to it's max and I enjoyed that very much. And Saw Too has one of my favorite endings. You assume the two events that they're cutting between are happening at the same time, but then it turns out one of them happened ages ago, so they're far too late to do anything about it. Yeah, it's good. That good blew my mind, mate, I really liked it.
Speaker 2: Has he seen Jigsaw, which is the twelfth I have not.
Speaker 1: Much to my shame. I'd imagine it's quite bad by this point. I really they've reinvented it, reinvented it, They've reinvented it as a darker, darker film, I think, Yeah, I really like it. I've got I think I've got up to number six on DVD, including the Souvenir Box where there's a little paper saw in it and you press a button it goes spins round like that very much. So it doesn't scare me that much. I find them quite. Yeah, all the time. I love it, always looking out for new terrible looking horror films on Netflix.
Speaker 2: What about the you know, high class, high brown, your Hereditaries, your Exorcist, that sort of stuff.
Speaker 1: You've just named the two films which I was going to bring up as genuine scared. I'm sorry, please, that's all right, No, no, no, it's perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So the Exorcist, I think is quite It's probably quite a boring answer to this, but it is one of the films that has absolutely scared me the most because I watched it probably when I was twelve. It was on TV, and I stayed up late to watch it alone alone. Naughty boy allowed. I think I was probably allowed. I don't think too, naughty boy. It was probably on it like midnight or something. Let's what, Yeah, that was fast as leep immediately possessed by the snawed demon. I stayed up late to watch it, and I think, yeah, it's just an immediately creepy film, isn't it, But with two stand up moments that still scare me now, which are down the stairs like a grab. Yeah, that's absolutely horrifying, and the splicing in of the demon's face so scary. I think I get more scared by weird stuff rather than not jump scares or anything like that, but like extended weird things, which is why Hereditary absolutely petrified me.
Speaker 2: I'm glad we can talk about this. No one sees to Hereditary fucked me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't see that by myself. I was fetal position in the seat in the cinema, like knees pulled right into my chest. So scary and so weird, that's the thing. So bizarre.
Speaker 2: I genuinely had the lights on for a week after nightmares. But I felt about it the way I feel about like when if you did if you've done drugs, I've gone too far and I can never come back, and I always say done that. That's how I love her films. I love her films, and there's really I've gone too far because it haunted me. It's so scary.
Speaker 1: It's so scary, and I was so excited to see it as well, because all the lead up to it, the trailers were fascinating and they obviously mislead you completely.
Speaker 2: With deliberately avoided chin.
Speaker 1: So the trailer, this is massive spoiler warning. The trailer makes it seem like it's going to be a film about the little girl. Okay, yeah, So all the trailers are like shots of her and like her chopping the bird, the bird's head off and doing that, and like the whole thing about like but when you die, who's going to look after me? And so there's this thing of about the granny dying. But then they show shots from the funeral and make out I mean, this is a huge spoiler warning. They do it like the funeral, her funeral, the little Girl's funeral is still the granny funeral. Clear, So you just assume that it's a film about a creepy girl. So you get there and then that happens, you know, half an hour in. I assumed it was a hallucination sequence and then you find then you finally realize it's real.
Speaker 2: That is that sequence. The thing that happens to the girl. Yeah, the most one of the most upsetting things I've ever seen, horrible. What I realized about it, what makes it different from most like horror and stuff is the amount of time they spend on the aftermath. Yeah, the thing happens, the thing is shocking, horrible, and if they cut straight to the next bit, w Yeah, but it's because they hold on his reaction for ages and they're so slow him getting home, and you're just stuck in this feeling.
Speaker 1: Of fucking great bit of acting from that last really good.
Speaker 2: Everyone's very good.
Speaker 1: He's absolutely frozen, but there's so much going on in his head. You can tell fucking scary when he sees a mum in very early on. Yeah, really scary, terrifying, big jump scared. And then yeah, they're just oh god, I mean there's so much going on in constantly, constantly scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Some people don't. The people said there's been a zimmer it ended and the win that's the worst thing I've ever seen there, thought.
Speaker 1: Doesn't connect with some people. I sent my from Matt to see it. I was like, it's absolutely terrifying. Something I tweeted about how how horrifying I found it and he texted me going to rubbish and didn't. I wasn't scared once. I think it's people who don't watch a lot of horror, really, who just don't connect with it.
Speaker 2: Well, Mark Comer thinks the opposite, because he didn't like it, and he was like, if you're not a proper horror person, that's not that's not true.
Speaker 1: I agree to not true.
Speaker 2: I agree with you.
Speaker 1: Not true. We like horror. You picked the ex Yeah, yeah, exactly, your life out mate. Give it a widely respected respect. I think I'm wrong now, actually notreditary Hereditary ship back to Jigsaw.
Speaker 2: We did quite like he did quite like, so could answer, I'm going to do military makes me. I guess it makes me trust you. What's the film that made you cry?
Speaker 1: The nice I've got two answers for this, bro, one lighthearted and one one horrible.
Speaker 2: Should go to be horrible so that we can come in out of the.
Speaker 1: Darkness, okay, dear Zachary, Yeah god yeah.
Speaker 2: About spoiling it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to spoil it because it's a documentary. It's a documentary, but it's edited like a crime film essentially, and and stuff happens, and when the big stuff happened. I was watching it in bed alone, alone, and when the big stuff happened, I closed my laptop, through it across the room and went and then couldn't stop crying for about an hour. That's I mean, it's a fantastic film. The editor is incredible. The story is gripping, but it's the most I've ever credit the film, and not like a few tears coming like from the gut, like almost vomiting out tears. I told you its heavy. Bigfoot in the Henderson's Lovely fil great film, Lovely, and the tears were all of Peter Joy at the end. Moving the final scene of big Foot in the Henderson's Off you go, So we're all sad that he's off? Bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: Who's that?
Speaker 1: Who's that? He's being joined by an entire big Foot family? Oh the other harries mate, It's so wonderful. John Leo unparalleled. I love that guy.
Speaker 2: Never a bad performance, never a bad film. I say, what film?
Speaker 1: Odd films? What else? What else is in raising? Can not seeing it?
Speaker 2: He plays like five different It's like some multiple personality. He plays like a woman and a man, a crazy person in there.
Speaker 1: Great, it's great.
Speaker 2: You'd love it.
Speaker 1: It's like a big audition tape. YEA love it.
Speaker 2: And he is one of the very few proper actors. He can do really proper, highly respected dramatic acting and really good silly comedy acting.
Speaker 1: Yes he is. He's proper. He's got that thing of being quite a big, authoritative man, which means he can do dumb comedy very well because he can just undermine his own his own physicality. Same with the now slightly problematic Jeffrey Tambor. I think where they've got that sort of deep tambre to the voice, deep tambule to the voice, so they can carry off comedy very well. Also John my favorite television performance of all time, Dexter, the best series of anything I think.
Speaker 2: About.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great actor, great accent, But that that film makes me weep.
Speaker 2: I tend to.
Speaker 1: I've got memories of crying things from when I was younger that are just quite happy things.
Speaker 2: Are you a cry a public cry? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love a cry during a town Yeah town lovely, Yes, I have a town crier. Indeed, trying to work out what the last thing that made me cry in the cinema was maybe inside out, you know, that's deep isn't it heavier than Inside Out?
Speaker 2: Is so heavy? Yeah? Really, I can't get I was like it all picks up, Like, what the fuck are you doing to me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I came here for I think coming to be profoundly depressed.
Speaker 1: The bing bong stuff inside Out. I out loud when when it starts to happen, when he starts in spoiler water, when he starts to fade away, you know what he's going to do. He is going to sacrifice himself, out loud in the cinema went no, no, big Bob, No, I couldn't control that. It was with my girlfriend. We're both just melting. And I bought a big bomb toy right that year and regularly would hide it where you said, there's big bom Like who Lady Bird? I had a little Lady Bird as well. I thought that was a lovely film. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I really related to Ladybird because of the europe mother daughter relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you feel like we've cleansed the.
Speaker 2: So you put your crying in front of your girlfriend in front?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love it, mate, We've been going out for eight years. It'd be weird if I kept that, kept that hidden from.
Speaker 2: Her be weird with it all right, okay, not need to keep it to your No, I really know. I find it very difficult to try in front of people. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you love you love a cry of film, right, yeah, but I have to be alone, right, Okay.
Speaker 2: That's why certain films like like I said that I went alone. I'm not telling something. I know.
Speaker 1: Listen, it's got pixel on it. I would see Up with nish Kumar and we're watching it in three D and the first fifteen minutes I turned around, there were tears coming out from underneath the glasses and it was amazing.
Speaker 2: Love me, what is the film that you used to laugh? Then you've watched it recently and you're going, oh, dear, this film is does not hold up? Well?
Speaker 1: This is an interesting one. I think if I really like a film, I will like it forever, and I will refuse to deny that. I would be like, it's good, that's it, it's locked in. Because I knew you were gonna ask me this question, I thought what I used to say my favorite film was. I thought I'd go back and watch it, see if it still holds up your favorite. No. I went to watch Fight Club again yes, it's still fantastic, great, it's don't worry about it. I suddenly planet that it's like I'd watch it again and it's a bit in selly, like a bit a bit men's rights activisty, and is it not. It's got those elements. But I think it's I think it's satirizing that before it was a thing. Okay, because I love Chuck Paul and it's my favorite author, but it's just it can feel a little browie. But I think he's also satirizing that. And it's an amazing film and all the performance is fantastic, testifying the forum my mind. Yeah, I am satirizing. I'm satirizing mra by being the leader of the movement.
Speaker 2: It's very subtile.
Speaker 1: So my actual answer to this, and it's quite it is a little bit upset and staying it's for a specific reason. It's something that was one of my favorite films of all time. It's Man on the Moon and it's spoilt for me by the Jim Carry documentary.
Speaker 2: I think I feel very simple that film.
Speaker 1: I think it's an amazing film, and then you see the documentary and go on and he's an absolute tip. He's an absolute idiot.
Speaker 2: You don't know. There's a documentary is called Jim and Andy, Yeah, and it's about Jim carry behind the scenes of the film Man and Me when he's playing the actor and the coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But he does in character the whole time and CAUs there's all sorts of chaos in trouble.
Speaker 1: Imagine working catering on that film. You're just trying to get your job done, and he turns up in character and you know, driving a car into the wall and being rude to everyone and screaming at people, and everyone has to be like, Okay, you know, it's just part of the process. We've got to let him go through this. I reckon he could have turned in as good a performance if he'd not done any of that. I think I get so annoyed by that sort of I get so annoyed by actors going I have to do this to do this performance, like you definitely don't. Everyone here is here is doing a job.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Sorry, the cameraman's openly masturbating over there. It's part of his process, pouring beans.
Speaker 2: Over here, get them right. I agree with you. I do feel that he is like just fucking do you do the acting. Yeah, don't ruin everyone's days to do it. What I've never understood is when I hear like Daniel day Lewis is in character time, if he was truly in character the whole time when he did, they will be blood every second of every day. He should have been going what the fuck is that? Video camera in a crane because it's sett in, you know, eighteen, he should be going what is that?
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: And someone's got a saying can you just move to the left because of what? Who are you?
Speaker 1: What do your lines?
Speaker 3: To?
Speaker 1: Your lines? Now?
Speaker 2: What line? I'm not a film I blame you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a very good point.
Speaker 2: Stop pointing.
Speaker 1: What's that going past that car? Yeah, it's bull it's bullshit. I think it's absolutely bullshit. It's happened again. And bring up tumble again, problematic temper, problematic tumble That interview about arrested development where talks about, you know, making people cry and they all jump to his devents and go Sometimes it's part of the process you.
Speaker 2: Need not I have worked mostly at a very very lucky anytime I've made TV film, I've worked with wonderful people. If I've occasionally worked with difficult people, and I have always thought this is bullshit. You can do, we can deal with this. But I don't believe you should be suffering. If you're not suffering, you're making you're not making a good film. And you know, particularly comedy. I think comedy thrives best if you're relaxing, absolutely free to create and stuff, if you're scared and everyone's like funny. Now.
Speaker 1: Also, you never really hear about those actors when the film's bad as well, So it's always when something good comes out that you're like, yeah, you hear what he did. He was in character all of the time, and that's how he got there.
Speaker 2: You know, the scenes of Mister Nanny, he was a character all the time. It's always those kids are really electrocuting him. Apart from Jared Leto actually as the joker. You hear about loads of stuff about him being in character all the time.
Speaker 1: And that's true.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's was what was he sending people who said dead rat.
Speaker 1: It was so ship.
Speaker 2: That's what I love about it. He was doing all that and it was so ship as well. Yeah, it's really embarrassing if you're ship.
Speaker 1: The Moons. It's a wonderful film, and I loved it for a long time, but I think it's gone slightly down in my estimations now I've seen what went into making it.
Speaker 2: He's the thing I found particularly disturbing in that documentary Jim and Andy. Yeah, he's like, fair enough, you're being naughty, a very naughty boy, be causing all sorts of case and said, what I don't get is you pretending to be Andy Kaufman with Andy Kaufman's mom and dad and that is weird, and them going, oh, it's so lovely. It's like being with our son. I'd be like, if it were me, i'd be like, fuck off. Yeah, that is weird.
Speaker 1: It's so uncomfortable. And you know, I really liked Jim carry up until so now he's a weird only.
Speaker 2: I love that he's completely after that. Now he's like nothing exists, And I'm like, cool, did that documentary exist? Because it was really justerb that's why.
Speaker 1: He saw it. I'm going to have to say nothing exists to really cover my tracks on this one.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Opposite question, what is a film that no one likes and you're like it's a masterpiece.
Speaker 1: I don't say. I don't really know what films everyone likes or not. But my answer to this, which is always controversial one who bring it up. I genuinely believe it to be one of the top five Marvel films is Punish a war Zone.
Speaker 2: I think it is considered a good one, is it. I think it's more it's more coding because it's not that big, But it's a good It's the best punishing one for sure.
Speaker 1: It's by far the best punishing one.
Speaker 2: It's so violent, right, I love it people being hurt slowly.
Speaker 1: Does that not count as an answer, then no, Let you have that. I've got another answer if you okay, well we can discuss both of them. But my other answer I've talked about in other mediums before, and I genuinely love it. And people think I'm an idiot, but I will die on this hill the Butterfly.
Speaker 2: Effect, mate, I will join you on that hill.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love that film and I think it's good.
Speaker 2: It's considered very bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's considered bad because people don't like Ashton Kutscher. Yes, but he is good in that film. It's an amazing concept, yes, and they carry it out the very well. The sequels are bad. But the first one is it's an absolute epic and the ending is so dark. Well, which ending are you talking about? The dark one, the really dark one, the director's cut, direct the director's cut one in case people that haven't seen The Butterfly Effects. It's about a young lad who has blackouts throughout his life and then realizes that when he reads his diary of around the time of the blackout, he can go back in time and see what happens in that blackout and control things and change things. But every time he changes something, it alters something in his brain. He has a big nose bleed.
Speaker 2: But it's based on that story by Ray Bradbury. Yes, yeah, it sounds about go back in time and step on a butterfly and then and then. Yes, it's a great concept, great concept.
Speaker 1: I love it. The ending spoiler warning, the director's cut ending. He basically realizes he's got to stop doing it because he's messing everyone else's life up. And he realizes every time he changes something for the better for him, something else goes horribly wrong. So you see all these horrible futures that he has to try and go back and change again. And the ending is he works out that if he looks at photos, he can also go back to that time. It doesn't have to be text, And he looks at a scam of himself when he was a little baby in the womb. He goes back to that and hangs himself with his own umbilical cord. Night Night, kids, Genius.
Speaker 2: It's really good.
Speaker 1: It's really good.
Speaker 2: And then you realize in the film, the mum keeps saying I had so many miscarriages.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he kept killing it again. Yeah, yeah, what or whoever? All our kids had to say?
Speaker 2: What's the happy ending?
Speaker 1: It's sort of the happy ending where he manages to fix it, but the whole thing is like him. He loves Amy Smart so much. Amy Smart's great, so he wants to make everything between them all right, So that's his main name throughout the film. And then he finds out that the only way he can make everything right for everyone is if he never meets her. So the first time they meet his kids, he goes back and he's horrible to her and she runs off, so they never see each other, and then, like much later on in life, they're like both walking down the streets so happy, and he like sees it and she sees him, but they don't know each other, and then they walk away. So it's like the happier ending Baby Suicide.
Speaker 2: It's a very bold ending babysitside. I wish they'd gone with that for the theatrical release.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, Baby Baby Suicide starring Ashton Kutcher.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I didn't make more money. What is the film that means the most to you, Not necessarily because the film itself, but because of the events surrounding the seeing of the film. Could be a first date, could be something give me your dad, something like.
Speaker 1: That first time I went to the cinema with my girlfriend Scott Pilgrim versus the World, wonderful experience, good film. I thought, what date was this?
Speaker 2: How far into the resp I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I could probably do it by when it actually came out. But I mean, sorry, yeah, yeah, no, I'm trying to wake No, it wasn't. It was probably a few dates in. It wasn't because out of chat, run out of chat. We were like, I mean, I think cinema second date is a bit like, come on, we've got some things to talk about. Surely do you go second date? Yeah? But you go to this. You go and see the film first to make sure it doesn't make you cry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, check out the film fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also I need to do a full background check on head to see if she talks to in films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Scott Pilgrim vers as well, So probably quite fair. A few weeks, maybe a couple of months into the relationship, was first film I love to talk about. Yeah. Also, we were just going out and getting pissed. Yeah, this was your first date, so pissed.
Speaker 2: Did you both love it?
Speaker 1: She is really into the comics, like she loves Scott Pilgrim comics, so she was quite excited. I think I wasn't too aware of the comics, but I think I think we both really enjoyed it. I've seen it a couple of times since.
Speaker 2: It's a great film. It's great film, Like, why is that one so special to you? Did it solidify something between you two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean some stuff happened. Okay, he just raised his own kiss in the cinema, But I mean we're already doing We're already doing it all.
Speaker 2: During the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I probably had a little kiss during the film. Can't You can't be doing.
Speaker 2: That during the film.
Speaker 1: Why are you getting off on the back robe? B some respect to the thing.
Speaker 2: You can do it doing the trailers. You can do it in the end credits. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But like that film's got a lot of big sort of fight sequences in it and stuff that big loud film. Quick quick snog. Yeah, but it's a wonderful film, many fantastic performances.
Speaker 2: You might have missed a bit.
Speaker 1: Who knows, well, No, it's it just really reminds me of her and that exciting first part of the relationship. And now I like to watch it and go, God, remember when it was exciting.
Speaker 2: That was not doing anything.
Speaker 1: I'm just watching inside out on both crying.
Speaker 2: Well, we're watching times. Okay, that's lovely. I think we've come to the bit you've been looking forward to the most. What's the film you sick asking it? What's the film you found the sexiest?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, so funny Brett that you only you would have this question.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you mean.
Speaker 1: What do you think is sexiest? Though you've probably said it all No I haven't.
Speaker 2: It's not about me.
Speaker 1: But what do you mean by I mean it's so it's sexy. Films are sexy at different times of your life.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, so you can answer this however you perceive it.
Speaker 1: But I think someone else's I think Nish might have brought this film up in passing when I was much younger. The first fifteen that I snuck in to see when I wasn't fifteen was Cruel Intentions, Oh Boy, which is like kiss Buffy and Buffy drible kiss and Buffy Dribley kiss with what's the name, Selma Blair. I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it's sound like you get away with it, like this is basically pornography. But we're watching it and on a big screen with my friend, more expensive huge you can really see that spit so really really sexy film at that point. Now, obviously it's absolutely ridiculous that film.
Speaker 2: What do you think is spitty kisses? You know the right, it's got cameradiers. And when they finally sort of get together in a really exciting thing, they kiss and they pull apart and there's like a spit between their two lips lit by the sun in a similar way to the contention, And I'm always like, did that happen accidentally? And they thought that looks cool? Do you think they went, do a spitty way.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's what I hate. I hate it if they said do a spitty one.
Speaker 2: I'm sure they didn't, but then they just catched it going great.
Speaker 1: But how many times do you think they did it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: A lot, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Don't remember that being an extra on the DVD?
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it must be like one where they probably went, oh god, just speaking one by accident, and we'll have to do it again. And then they've got to the edit and they've gone, I think we're going to use this one.
Speaker 2: Because it seems real, is it? Okay? So cool intentions, that's one of your answers.
Speaker 1: So I think it's probably films like I saw when I was like an informative, sort of pubic time of my life. That's nice, isn't it. And it's particular scenes. It's not whole films. I don't think there's like bonorific films that you're like, it's the whole thing. You're like, Jesus, oh god, we're talking about sexy films.
Speaker 2: Is absolutely magnificent. I just came in, Okay, Yeah, well signed me up. Great, thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: You're just going to keep talking. Yeah, after we set it up.
Speaker 2: That TV Lee Sanders, who is also in his fat and his show is called Champi and is excellent.
Speaker 1: It is excellent, the other day so good and her coming podcast may Yes, what is the sexiest cuddle.
Speaker 2: This way?
Speaker 1: So I think it's scenes in films, so ones that really stick out in the memory. Particularly is Cameron Dear is his first scene in The Mask.
Speaker 2: Mate. It is an incredible single shot.
Speaker 1: It's it's it is amazing, it's amazing, and obviously it's like that's how I don't think when I'm like talking about sexy. It's like it's just the intelligence of it. So she she looks amazing, she's all wet from the rain and she comes into the bank.
Speaker 2: And when people talk about the male gaze and yeah, I don't know what you're talking about. Again, just what's the shot of arriving in the Mask?
Speaker 1: It's very on the nose. I don't think I'm a sort of Yeah, I think I operate on one level.
Speaker 2: It's not sat and I'm sure it's very problematic, but equally it's it's it's magnet. Yeah, that's definitely one really beautiful Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've also written black Swan down as well, that's a generally quite sexy film throughout.
Speaker 2: That's pretty sexy, nun sup. Yeah, for you, you have it because even scenes of humans being hurt slately, so it's got for you.
Speaker 1: I don't like that we were perpetuating, and that's what I'm into saying. I like some of the sore films. But yeah, I like Hostle one right, because that seemed like an interesting thing where they flipped on its head, where it was boys being led to their death by women. And then Eli Ross got to hostile too, and he was like, I'm just gonna do it the other way around now, like, okay, you didn't realize what you were doing in the first one, mate, you did that by accident, and now you've just done an absolutely standard let's kill loads of women.
Speaker 2: I've never seen it.
Speaker 1: We see it. We don't really like it. Black Swan's a great film. Generally, it is a great thing, but very very very sexy film.
Speaker 2: I love an Aeronosky. Yes.
Speaker 1: So do I do you like Mother?
Speaker 2: Mother?
Speaker 1: I loved Mother, Yes, I mean that could have been one that people I could have said for people hated that I loved. I don't think I could see Mother again. I found it very stressful, so stressful, but I really liked it and I liked it what a ride, And I liked looking at all the you know, just going oh, that probably means that, that might mean that. You know, at some point you think it's biblical, then you think it's environmental. And I saw it with James A. Castro and we came out the cinema and I said, what did you think? Because I thought it was like maybe Mother Earth and you know, or maybe it was biblical, and giving him all the reasons why I thought it was Biblica and he went, oh, no, I didn't. I just thought it was about a man who was nasty to his wife. He genuinely didn't see any subtext lived really from what would she has a baby and they have to sacrifice her baby to all these these crazed followers. You didn't see any biblical undertones to that whatsoever.
Speaker 2: It's pretty straightforward logical sense.
Speaker 1: A big, big a Aronofsky fan.
Speaker 2: I even like Nowhere, I think it's didn't see nowhere it's mad as I mean, he makes really like The thing I really respect about him is he makes fit somehow. He makes big films that are cinema films that cost a lot of money that are absolutely.
Speaker 1: In bonkers crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've never seen anything like this? How did you? How did they allow you to?
Speaker 1: Maae just just crazed like man like even I mean, Pie is bonkers. I've not seen that in years. Record for a Dream is horrible, but but fantastic. But the ending of that is happy. Oh, I've had your theory on this. It's not happy. It's not happy.
Speaker 2: People have missed this is that film for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you want cheering up, you just chan't ask to ask to yourself.
Speaker 2: You've heard me talking to myself down the street.
Speaker 1: And I love the Wrestler as well.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I can't put it wrong. I love the Fantin.
Speaker 1: Didn't see the Fountain?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Should I watch the fact that I'm sort of coming on your podcast to get a list of films that I should have seen The Fantin.
Speaker 2: All the things with Danimansky. What he doesn't do, which is rare, he doesn't do irony. He's not like going. He's a bit like this, isn't it? The Phantom is him going, I want to make a film about love and death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he goes this is.
Speaker 2: The fucking film about death, and I'll give a ship. You're embarrassed by me talking about love and death. I love it. You don't get that. There's no like no. I guess I am a romantic. It's like pure.
Speaker 1: I like it. Yeah. I think he's got a good, good body of work. I like oteurs. I get into I sort of will forgive people a lot if they've consistently done like two or three good things. I think they're allowed miss steps like Tarantino as well. Yeah, big Tarantina. I am a very big plan.
Speaker 2: Do you remember? But but boy is a polematic? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure? But what isn't Well? I mean and when when we say what isn't we don't mean everything is these days. It's just turns out a lot of things are.
Speaker 2: Oh, hang on, there is a subsection go on? Is worrying White? Any film that aroused you where you thought I definitely shouldn't.
Speaker 1: This is traveling. It's probably some sort of Disney film. Not really thought about it too much.
Speaker 2: Mary Poppins.
Speaker 1: So that's the one that's yours?
Speaker 2: Then? Is it?
Speaker 1: You just plans Mary Poppins out of well.
Speaker 2: I was going to go with an animated and I thought, No, Actually, I feel is that is that?
Speaker 1: What is that fine?
Speaker 2: I mean I prefer my Nan needs to be bigger male as you will know. Is that an animated princess or an animated animal?
Speaker 1: I mean there are some fit animated animals on there. Robin Hood's made Mary, Yeah, made Marins.
Speaker 2: A lovely fox is a literal fox, very very charming one too.
Speaker 1: I don't think I've got I mean, but you whack an you whack eyelashes. Any animal I'd probably be up for it. You probably like a caramel bunny. Oh yes, please, yes, please? Are the caramel bunny Jessica rabbit obviously, but not not a rabbit. But I don't think that's that's not a worrying one. I think I think that's fairly well considered. No, I don't think there's anything specific that i'd be I'm never worried about that sort of thing. I'm like, well, there it is. That's on the list.
Speaker 2: Then the one for the wool, Yeah, I'm up to twelve.
Speaker 1: Now, what.
Speaker 2: Is the film that you relate to the most that you've watched and you've gone that is me?
Speaker 1: That is this is the one I found very difficult brad people do.
Speaker 2: Some people feel this one and some people don't. It's okay if you struggle with it. It might be something you aspire to. You got to wish this with me, or it might be for an example, Ladybird. Genuinely I really felt a connection with Ladybird, even though it was it clearly is not my life. I very much related. I was like, yeah, I get I'm Ladybird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a real tricky one.
Speaker 2: Listen if it helps you, guys, we have said Ethan Hunt is missing impossible.
Speaker 1: Of course did of course, so you know how, Yeah, I just if I watch a film, I don't connect with the characters necessarily, I'll connect with it in a way of saying, this is very funny. I aspire to do something like this one day. It wouldn't necessarily be watching a film going I'd love to jump out of a plane.
Speaker 2: Suggesting he does jump out. I don't think it was inspired, and I don't think it was Iami. Maybe it was a confession, right, maybe something about just like like young losers, you know, those those sorts of I mean, something like super Bad was one where I was like, yeah, that seems fair. Michael Senna or a.
Speaker 1: Fat one mate, Yeah, because I was. I was the fat one used to do. Yeah, and I went to a boys school, so there's a lot of like fat lad with a lot of male friends because it's about male friendship. Yeah, so probably probably that film, but I've not seen it in the years, and I've really plucked that out of thinner.
Speaker 2: So it's difficult to imagine your effects. You're so fit, thanks, mate, there's plenty of photos. Yeah, it just doesn't seem real.
Speaker 1: Johan Hill's lost a lot weight now of course as well. Good luck to him. Yeah either way, either way, it's great. Sorry that was a ship answer to that one, bro.
Speaker 2: No, No, that's absolutely fine. I appreciate your honesty. It was the film you could or have what's the most over and over again.
Speaker 1: So the film that I have watched a lot, and I've watched it a few times, but I know that in my future I will watch it a whole lot more. And I've watched it already at the Edinburgh Festival again because when I was thinking about this, I was like, I'm going to watch this film again. Cabin in the Woods. I think it's one of my favorite films of recent times. I think it's a great horror film. Yeah, it's a great comedy film. Yes, it's incredibly inventive. It's the new things with the genre whilst paying homage to the genre perfectly.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a perfect description and.
Speaker 1: Throws everything it's got it and I can rewatch it over and over again. Bet. It's such a detailed film, like with all the all the possibilities of all the monsters that are going to pop out and the big list of monsters. I think it's exciting and I could watch if they made sequels of it with the different monster coming in, I would fully watch that. And Bradley Whitford. You need no other reason for a good film than Bradley Whitford. It's so great. Are you a fan of Cabin in the Woods, Brett?
Speaker 2: I am. I think it's a very inventive and sort of brilliant thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, but yeah, I watch it over and over again.
Speaker 2: What film do you objectively think is the greatest one of all time? As in might be your favorite? We go that's the mess piece of cinema.
Speaker 1: Ever, this is another one I'm going to struggle with because I don't think I've seen a lot of those sorts of films, but.
Speaker 2: It's your answer. If your answer is Cabin in the Woods, it might be it's just some people favorite and greatest is actually different for some people. It's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, But the sorts of films that you were probably talking about are things that are considered cinema greats. Christmas Carol, yeah, or like of course, I would have loved to have seen Ben Hurt, but I had a snoozy man next to me, So things like Ben Hur and I've not seen Citizen Kane. No, I'm not going to waste my time with that. It's actually good.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I tell you the secret about Citizen k Yeah, I won't tell you it's not boring, right, I know why you haven't seen it because it took me a long time. Yet I tell you if it's boring, it's not boring.
Speaker 1: And Kane? What else is there? Things like that like Lawrence of Arabia, Lawrence of Arabia. It's basically I might as read a book. People going you should watch that. It's no, it's not even that long.
Speaker 2: Citizen games like under two hours, Under two hours moves very quickly. Honestly, I wouldn't like to i'd tell you the truth. Lawrence of Arabia is excellent.
Speaker 1: It's a bit boring, alright, I will watch it. But a film that I have seen that is probably the greatest film of all time, and it's makes you sound very low brow. Sorry, hello, finished yet no, Back to the Future an excellent? Is that a good answer?
Speaker 2: And then a lot of people will be very happy to hear that.
Speaker 1: Yes, I do. I like time travel, love a time travel film, and it's just a big, fun comedy film, perfectly pitch perfect, perfect performances.
Speaker 2: You like all lived in two and three?
Speaker 1: I hate three, don't like three at all, and I really like two. But so I'm giving you. Back to the Future is objectively the greatest film ever made. I prefer too, Yeah, because I prefer the I prefer the futures of the past, and I prefer to see I think it's more interesting to see the twists they put on something they'd already done, and how they and how they got to Yeah. Yeah, asy went said three. I think they were panicking interesting.
Speaker 2: Threes are very popular.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. I'm not a big kind of Western stuff anyway. Yeah, yeah, yeah, full on, isn't it? And I think it was just yeah, it's just two in the West, so I'm not of other birth.
Speaker 2: Three what is I don't not being negative, we'll do it quickly. What's the worst film you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: Worst one I've ever seen? And I hate to sound like a terrible reviewer, but I left before the end? Is Mark Warburg's Planet of the Apes. Okay, as someone who's stuck to the end. Yeah, for once, I couldn't agree more. That is a genuinely, absolutely dog ship film. It's terrible.
Speaker 2: I hate that film. It's truly tim who I love, And I was like, what the fuck is what happened?
Speaker 1: How is this a film?
Speaker 2: It's so bad fun I don't want to show people.
Speaker 1: You've got to see this. It's like ship, yeah, because I like I like ship films, like like like my whole universe. Time at university, we for some reason, our Telly didn't work like we can get normal Telly. But we had a DVD player, but we couldn't afford proper DVDs. We used to go to the post office where they'd sell like DVDs for like three quids bin DVDs and just buy up a load of bin DVD's and watch them, and we saw some awful shit. It's great. Listen, there's one we watch over and over again. It's called shadow Keeper Gates of Time, and it features the best extra I've ever seen. Well, he's not even an extra because I think they're basically filming a town center and they don't have the rights, film all the money to shut it down. So a guy, and they left this in. A guy. You see him coming. He walks around right, and he gets to in front of the camera and then just rotates his whole body with just loose arms, completely floppy arms, and goes and smiles at the camera, flicks back again and then keeps walking and they left that in. So I like that sort of shit. But Planet of the Apes star in Mark Wahlberg, who I don't want to be is negative but is I don't understand what's going on? How is he well?
Speaker 2: Because the thing about Mike Wahlberg is he is sometimes a brilliant actor, right, and then sometimes he chooses not to be And you Sanders go, why did you choose not to do proper acting in this one? So what's what he can do? Comedy? He can do? You know, he's very good and things that they departed. It's funny. And but then he sometimes turns up and like in All the Money in the World and you go, why did you in the Departed? Yeah, he's like a funny cops.
Speaker 1: Can do in the Fighter as well.
Speaker 2: He's in the Yes, it's in the Fighter. Yeah, and he's in Boogie Knights.
Speaker 1: He does of course. Yeah. So no, No, he's got quite a good.
Speaker 2: He can be brilliant, and sometimes he forgets to do acting. The Planet of the Apes, The Planet of the Apes and All the Money in the World yea where he genuinely looks completely out of his depth going and no, I forgot signed up to do with proper acting.
Speaker 1: What am I doing?
Speaker 2: I'll put I'll wear these glasses and hopefully that will do a character for me. It's a very it's a very bad film beginning to end. I'm angry thinking about and the twist. They're trying to do a new twist at.
Speaker 1: The end of time, So don't do a new twist, lads, do you know what?
Speaker 2: The new twist is so stupid?
Speaker 1: What is it again?
Speaker 2: Is so at the end because they want to do a different twist. Yeah, he gets on the spaceship back to Earth. So the Planet the Apes isn't Earth, yes, version, So he goes actually to Ear where he goes, I finally we're here. But he gets out of his stupid spaceship goes to the Abraham Lincoln statue and it's Monkey Abra Hamling.
Speaker 1: It's Monkey Obra Hamling.
Speaker 2: And of course it is either accidentally now flowing to another Planet of the Apes or is now planning it. I don't want to find and then to police Planet the Apes.
Speaker 1: Yes, I just don't know what if you're remaking Planet of the Apes. It's one of the best twists of all time, right, don't go we need to think of another version of this. And then someone goes Monkey Abraham Lincoln done. That's it.
Speaker 2: But the new trilogy I think one of the best trilogies. New three so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, love it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Monkey Technology has really come on.
Speaker 2: It really has, and it grows over the trilogy as well. Yeah I hate c g I And by the third one, I meant, do you look like a monkey?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You really look like Woody Harrelton'.
Speaker 2: What's the funniest What's the film that's made me laugh?
Speaker 1: The film in recent years that has made me laugh the most in the cinema because me and my girlfriend were the only people in the cinema, or so I thought, And I screamed laughing for the whole thing because I was very excited to see it was Alpha Papa. Oh great, absolutely love like a drain from beginning to end. And then realize there was one other persons at the back of the cinema. I was just out there, not in going correct, I know, I just must have. It was just I thought we were alone, so I was like, I feel free to howl with laughter at this, and then I turned around and obviously ruined someone's cinema experience completely. I love that film. I don't know how it's thought of.
Speaker 2: I think it was well received when it came out, and it's sort of not been It's almost been forgotten. No one considers it a classic. But I think when it came out it was well received, so there's that let's bring it back.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think that that's a truly fantastic film, and I like that they resisted doing it for a long time and sort of made fun of when TV series go to films and they always have to take it out of where it is, and they always have to, you know, go abroad, but this is just it's like a massive budget, extended action episode of I'm An and Partridge and that's why I love it. Also another amazing cinema experience. And Sure of the Dead is one of the only times I've been in a rammed cinema and people were reacting to it amazingly, like huge laughs all the way through.
Speaker 2: That's great. Two British films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. But then there's Dumb and Dumber, which is one when I was younger. The first time I saw I couldn't believe it. Couldn't believe. I couldn't believe it. Mate, I must have seen that in the same year. I probably got it on video and I probably saw it fifteen times and then no, yeah, yeah, see the documentary of what he had to go through to capture the character of Lloyd Christmas.
Speaker 2: What well, Oh, what's your favorite films.
Speaker 1: It's so difficult because I'm the same with music, you know, it changes so much because I get so obsessed with like watching some newer things, and then suddenly it will be replaced. It would just go like, oh, that's my that's my favorite of recent times.
Speaker 2: Well, you died today, So what was it today?
Speaker 1: I tell you. The film that's the most recent film I saw that I absolutely loved and was ranting about for ages was The Lobster. Oh great, I absolutely loved that. I can't say that's my favorite film because it's not. Oh, Brett's so stressful. I might have to say fight Club. Okay, No, it's satirizing it Brett, Okay. I don't think I'm ever going to be happy with my choice. But because we talked about it and I had to go back and watch it because I thought maybe it's rubbish, and I went and watched it again and it's not. It's really good and everyone in it's amazing and it's another really cool meant to plot with a cool twist. I might have to pick fight Club, And I sound like such a fifteen year old boy picking that it's okay, it's not. You look so disappointed, and I'm not.
Speaker 2: At all disappointed. I feel I'm giving you that lip because I feel I feel you're anxiety and I sort of wanting to make sure you choose this properly.
Speaker 1: Because because I normally would have said man on the Moon, but it was such a good answer for the other one.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you have fight club.
Speaker 1: You can all right.
Speaker 2: Now, Look here's the thing you've been. You've been a genuinely wonderful guest. I've absolutely loved this, and.
Speaker 1: Everyone else picked really cool stuff for their favorite film.
Speaker 2: But look, here's the thing. When you rote down for sets, what did taken out people?
Speaker 1: Way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, have a seat massacres it will forever. Yeah, I'll probably do an enemy show about it. I knew him.
Speaker 1: It'll be good.
Speaker 2: I knew him.
Speaker 1: I am you did the final performance on top of our seat. Yeah, and then was.
Speaker 2: When you hit the bottom. You basically picked up a lot of the people you hit like bits. And anyway, the point is we put you in your coffin. There's a lot more to you. Yeah, there was at the top of ours. We crammed you in to the coffin, and unfortunately you took up so much room the old day I had to there's any room for one DVD? Right, take the other side. Now, on the other side, there's a movie night and one day over your movie night. What's the film?
Speaker 1: So there's any room for one DVD as opposed to normal coffins? Yeah, well, it's.
Speaker 2: Well if you if you hadn't expanded and saved right down here, we could have put all the all the things right.
Speaker 1: As you know already did.
Speaker 2: Who's been.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to pick something on.
Speaker 2: You can pick. It doesn't even have to be from what you've said.
Speaker 1: Okay, but it'd be good if it was, wouldn't it.
Speaker 2: The point is, it's the film you're taking for eternity, and it's also the film you're showing to people out there.
Speaker 1: So I need I need to think of something that's going to bring a good vibe to heaven and also that no one else will really bring, and something that represents me because I want to be all right, guys, party time at Gamble's here.
Speaker 2: So not, Dear Zachary, you can't right I'm taking the Exorcist to Heaven.
Speaker 1: I think that might be. Oh no, the Catholic Church love it.
Speaker 2: Heaven Wins.
Speaker 1: They love it, don't they Catholic Church. I don't want to take the exis no, and I don't want to take sore. I don't want to say anything that's bumming anyone out. So personally it's probably between not. I'm not taking cruel intentions.
Speaker 2: You can take Scott Pilgrim.
Speaker 1: I could take Scott Scott Pilgrim. But I think, even though I know that a lot of people will probably take this to Heaven, I'm going to take Back to the Future Lovely because what but know so many people who can to come to my movie night. If I take Cabin in the Woods, people are going to be like, come on, mate, not in heaven. This is all about. This is all about providing a group of teenough just to quell a demon. So I think I think it's it's got to.
Speaker 2: Be Back to the Future, a film about incest. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Did I get it right? Did I get it right?
Speaker 2: You have done very well on films to I'm going to like you to go to heaven. We're back to the future. Thank you, and find you're going to kick yourselving you get there because it's your movie and you'll be looking at the schedule. It'll be Monday, back to the Future having a word. No one like that. Anyway you've done it. You've been an absolutely light I have a lovely night. Yeah, no, I like that, Okay, I like it, and don't let by good night.
Speaker 3: So that was ed Gamble on a rewind classic episode. Be sure to check out the Patreon page at patreon dot com slash Brett Goldstein, where you get to chat, video and mixtapes at Various Tears and otherwise. If you fancy leaving a note on Apple podcasts, that would be lovely too, But to make it a review of your favorite film much more fun and way more interesting to read for everyone involved. Thank you so much to ed Gamble for fun times and presents from the podcast. Thanks to Scruby's PIP and the Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to and this is where Brett thanks me for editing and producing the podcast, so I say it is a pleasure. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics and Lisa Lydam for the photography. We will be back next week with another episode, but that is it for now, Brett and I and all of us at Films to be buried with. I hope you're all very well and in the meantime, have a lovely week and now more than ever, be excellent to each others.
Speaker 2: Back back bas backs out, sick Bays a sack by backs outcomes back face back back by backs out can sack baby bas backs back back