Speaker 1: Welcome to the Best of the Week for What's Right with Nick Right, the best takes and moments from this week on the show. Enjoy. I didn't really sleep last night and then got up this morning, took your sister to school, picked your mom up from the gym. I don't know if I said ten words to either one of them. I then just laid on the couch, which I never do in the mornings, and tried to like take a nap. That didn't work. You know how I can tell your mom knows I'm in a teetering emotional place is Well, here's here's how I know that she knows and that she's empathetic, because there were she's doing like a whole giant house cleaning thing prior to her birthday. Well, no, hold on there. Within the nineties seconds when I came downstairs, there were three things I saw her do that she had asked me to do previously, and she wasn't even mad at me. Yep, I was like, oh, she legit feels bad for me right now, She's like, she is really showing a real amount of empathy.
Speaker 2: Because I was.
Speaker 1: Supposed to put those coffee cups away. I was supposed to throw that backpack away, and she's doing all of it, and she's doing with a smile on her face, which means she has correctly clocked that I'm not doing great. Hopefully this will be my Catharsis. Let's get to Monday night football.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Audre. So we saw what Trevor Lawrence did to the Chiefs yesterday. It was also his twenty sixth birthday, and he walked out of there with a dub. What do you want to talk about first, your Prince's success or your chief's downfall in this game?
Speaker 1: Okay, as much as I'd like to start with Trevor, we have.
Speaker 2: To start with Chiefs.
Speaker 1: And here's the reason. That game is so so much more upsetting than the Charger game or the Eagle game, and so much more upsetting than any recent memory regular season loss. One thing about the Chiefs being the Chiefs is they simply do not lose games like that. Now, they get out played. Sometimes the offense we've seen over the last couple of years get stuck in the mud. They you know, there are ways that they can lose a game and other people panic or you know, talk about in what bad shape the team is in and I do not because of the the full confidence that by the end of the year Patrick will have figured stuff out, or the team will get healthier, or whatever it is. Losing a game like that last night, they don't blow two touchdown leads. Every other team in the league, mate, they don't. They did last night countless countless special teams mistakes the multiple The same player, Jack Cochrane, who held on a big kick return earlier in the game, does the only thing he can't do on the final kickoff of the game, which is hold again. Because in that moment, I thought, while I didn't like what had happened, twenty three seconds, three timeouts, the Chiefs gonna have the ball around the twenty five to thirty yard line. I fully trusted that we were at least gonna get a kick to tie the game. But that hold has the double whammy of they returned it, so you burned six of the twenty three seconds and you started on the fifteen. Also with the special teams, Bucker kicking it out of bounds when he has been shaky Buck. We are now five for five in games this year where Bucker makes a mistake, either missus an extra point, miss it, Yes, missus an extra point miss is a kick or kicks it out of bounds. And then and I'm not this oddly is the part of the game that was least bothersome to me, But it was the most damaging was you know, Patrick made a mistake he simply doesn't make, which is the ninety nine yard pick six that flipped the end higher game. Now that you can fairly say that cost them the game. I mean that was a basically a true fourteen point swing. But I know this might sound odd to the audience. That is the least of my concerns. The committing that many penalties that consistently, And now what does make me feel like the Chiefs are very close to being the Chiefs again, is there is a direct correlation to how scary the Chiefs are to the rest of the world and how quickly and loudly we get the idiotic conspiracy theories once again, when yes, they missed a DPI on an interception, but this game would have been well, I don't know that it was. I don't know that it was worse than when the Jags are down fourteen to nothing and it's third and fifteen and there is a phantom DPI that kept them in the game. Like calls get missed in both directions. The people got mad because Patrick correctly pointed out to the ref we get one yard on the rub route on Kelsey's touchdown, and I don't know what the hell Russell Yurke was looking at. He says, the play was snapped at the two juju is setting the pick at the one. That is the definition. You literally had the little hashmark showing you it was a yard, and so I unders listen, they missed. The ref's missed a really bad call, there's no question about it. And the Chiefs got to pick out of it. The Chiefs were penalized I think ten times more or nine times more than Jacksonville. That was not a oh. The Chiefs got all the calls, but also those weren't bad except for the DPI on third and fifteen. Those weren't bad calls against the Chiefs. They were making mistakes. And here's the other piece of it, and this is what is so And Patrick kind of said it without saying it when he said we've already lost too many games. They they had a nightmare, nightmare opening two weeks of the season and they had the opportunity to make it all back by week five, go from zero and two to Tide for first in the division, one game out of first place in the entire conference, and to and you guys, notice I didn't have Kansas City minus three and a half in Knicks picks. I actually think Jacksonville is better than people gave him credit for it. And I was saying all we Jacksonville was three and one despite Trevor, and that if Trevor played well, they're a very dangerous team. And we'll get to Trevor later, because that was just a perfect Trevor Lawrence game. Some horrible mistakes, some great throws, used his legs, you know, better than he usually does, even though he's great with that. The So I didn't It's not that I think losing to the Jags.
Speaker 3: It's just that was a game that I feel like they needed. They really wanted that game and they didn't get it. And it was also like it was the Jaguars at the same time that.
Speaker 1: They needed it, demands, they wanted it, and they had it right like the While the Chiefs don't blow teams out the way the other excellent teams in football do, over the last few years, they just simply never beat themselves, and yesterday they beat themselves. Yesterday is the first game in four years the Chiefs have won the turnover battle and lost the game. There have only been three games in the last four years where they have won or tied the turnover battle and lost the game. Week one against Detroit couple of years ago, the pick six, Week one against the Chargers this year and neither team turned it over. And then this week with a pick six, and so all of that just it. It's just a horrible loss. Let me add another thing before I get to the other side of it. My biggest concern with Kansas City after Week one, whenever there have been let me rephrase it. There have been two concerns that I have had about the Chiefs, basically from week one on that while everyone else was focused on Mahomes in the passing game, I was simply not worried. One was the lack of any type of burst or explosion in the running game. Now I thought that was Pacheco and Hunts, both of them, you know, one of their better if not, they're each of their best games of the year. My hair is a mess. I apologize, but it still feels like that's a spot they need to upgrade, and Patrick leading the team in rushing is unacceptable and makes me nervous. But the other thing that was greatly concerning to me about week one was total inability to generate a pass rush without sending a blitz, and I felt like you saw that again last night. So those the running back position I think can be. Of all the weaknesses you can have, that to me is the simplest to attempt to remedy because they should be able to relatively cheaply trade for and upgrade at running back. The pass rush just has to get better. And Chris obviously has a brutal film on the play when Trevor fell down. Now, I don't actually think him standing there or if he would have been going one hundred miles an hour, it would have changed the impact of the play, But that is brutal, brutal tape.
Speaker 3: I think he could have absolutely made a play on it. He could have stopped him from scoring touchdown. You think so, I think I feel like he's watching the action from there. If he starts running off to the right, might be able to intercept Treman Lawrence.
Speaker 1: Oh I right, I agree that right there he starts running off to the right. My point is, by the been going full bore. If he would have been going full bore, he wouldn't have he wouldn't have be lined to the right. He would have gone upfield and then but it doesn't matter. I want to make this clear. It doesn't matter that he wouldn't have made the I don't think he would have made the play. What matters is how the hell are you doing that in that spot? But you know what I mean, like, what is the uh? He played it almost as if the Chiefs coaching point there was let them score, so we get the ball back with a chance to tie it. But no one else on the defense was you know, had that was feeling that way? And so all of those things demon's are uh truly greatly real like issues and why this has been so such a troubling twelve hours now the flip side, Patrick looks great, and he looks great. And the offenses, I mean they what they have five hundred yards of offense yesterday almost like now again that's not the Andy said it, and he's right. The goal of the game is not to put up a ton of yards put up points and our red zone issues that you know he didn't say this, I'll say this Patrick's bad mistake. The penalties. Those things are how you lose football games. But Kansas City, particularly when Rashi gets back, I think is going to be back to being a very explosive offense again. So that part is great, But two and three is none. And you just you had the opportunity had you taken care of Going into last night's game, you were like, there were there's the four and one Bills who you play later this year, the four and one Colts who you play later this year, and the Jags were sitting there with one loss and you were playing them that night. And so it also puts a lot of pressure on next week. And next week is the Detroit Lions, who post Week one have looked like the best team in the league. By the way, Lebron just posted, I guess did Hennessy front run him on this? That's so funny? Real quick?
Speaker 2: Is that the announcement or hold on.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna let you guys hear it. I hope, hold on, let me see if I can do this.
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: What here? It is? No I got I'm just gonna do it like this, You'll do it old school.
Speaker 4: Well, everyone's on pens and needles across the country. Are you ready to go?
Speaker 1: Lebron?
Speaker 5: Where's the powder left at home?
Speaker 4: Lebron fans want to know where you're taking your talents this year. What's your decision in this fall?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 5: This is tough. In this fall, I'm gonna be taking my talents to ansop.
Speaker 4: And this was the conclusion you woke up with this morning.
Speaker 5: That was a conclusion I woke up with this morning. Why I feel like it's gonna give me the best opportunity to win more at hosting. And not only that, when that signature in hottails, we didn't have a good time. We didn't making memories, we didn't making it look easy.
Speaker 2: We and at leaving.
Speaker 1: People wanting more.
Speaker 4: Lebron appreciate it.
Speaker 1: DECII okay, so real quick quick sidebar of course, like now listen, I would have been wrong. I thought I had something to do with Amazon Prime Day because he worked with Amazon. But Danny yesterday when Lebron sent that tweet, he came, He's like, you saw Lebron's thing. I'm like yeah, And he asked, he said, you think it's anything. I was like, I would bet anything. It's an AD And he asked me why, and he thought my answer was kind of ridiculous. But it's why I knew it was an AD. I said, because it's at noon. It's what he said it.
Speaker 2: Was going to be.
Speaker 1: And he's like, that's the reason, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, it's like more of like a night thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's prime time. He's like, if Lebron is going to announce his retirement, it's not going to be Noone on a Tuesday. I'm gonna tell you right now. It's just so I there there was real like questions. I got text from people or whatever about what we like this show or the TV show or whatever. What are what we want to do? And I don't want to say I ignore them, but I in my head I ignored him. I'm like, guys, I promised, this is not like Intel. I didn't talk to I didn't. I was so non plussed by this, Like I obviously am real close with some of Lebron's closest people, Mavericks and dear friend. I see Rich a few times a year. You know, Rich works with my agent. I didn't even send any of them a text like with a question mark like they it was so obvious to me. To me, it was just like if if he had set the exact same tweet and it said Monday, seven pm, my heart would have skip to beat like a little bit yeah, like maybe like there might be uh, there might be something here, But Tuesday at noon. The guy is not announcing his retirement Tuesday now he was. If you didn't get the and I didn't show you the he's wearing the same shirt he wore to the original decision, like kind of right, and the the script is the questions he was asked, like the no powder that it's all the exact same beats of the original decision. But yes, listen shout. Also, by the way, I don't know what Hennessy you know, paid Bron, but I do know that they are now going to get a lot of free media out of it by simply Lebron sending one tweet like so, I don't know what his tweets are worth, but that you know, I would consider that likely money well spent. All right, back to the discussion we were having. What were we talking about? Oh, the Lions game now is massive. Oh that's why I I saw it because I was going to hard rock bet to see going into last night, and here's a fun one. Demon's wait. No, going into last night, it was Casey minus a point and a half. Now, typically, oddly, when a good team loses, if they don't suffer real injury, they become bigger favorites by a tiny bit the next week. I don't anticipate that's what will happen here. So what, oh, what do you think? Do you think the line moved or stayed the same, And if it moved in what direction?
Speaker 2: You said? Yesterday it was minus one and a.
Speaker 1: Half, Kansas City favored by a point and.
Speaker 2: A half a half?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it probably what is it minus two? Now?
Speaker 1: It's it stayed, it stayed the same. I thought there was a chance it would have gone the other way, but I think the reason it didn't was because the Chiefs offense did look really good and that Jags defense is legit. It's just so frustrating. And this is all I said going into it was if they don't turn the ball over, they can't lose, and they made Listen, it was the worst type of turnover you can make.
Speaker 3: With that defense being how good it is like Jacksonville's defense is it's legit.
Speaker 2: They even came in.
Speaker 3: They got to pick six against Patrick Malmes. Like with the Travis Hunter thinks, I think it's so unfortunate that he wants to play on both sides of the ball, because I think he would make the defense that much more dominant, or if he wanted to be one hundred percent offense, he would just give Trevor Lawrence even that better of a hand.
Speaker 2: But I think.
Speaker 3: Because it doesn't seem like he's being super effective on either side, he's that he maxed out as long right.
Speaker 1: Now, No, right now, it's kind of the worst of both worlds, right listen. I know he made one really big play in this game. Yeah, but the Jags aren't at a shortage of weapons and right now now the the the they trade, the only way you can justify trading what they traded for a non quarterback is because you thought you were getting two players. But right now he's having less of an impact than all the guys drafted around him who are just one way players. And so that's the really disappointing part if you're Jacksonville, Like, let me go to real quick, because Mason Graham, who was the fifth pick who was part of essentially the Travis Hunter trade, has been great. Abdullah Carter is making a real impact. Will Campbell's the everyday left tackle. Mason Graham has been excellent. Genty. I know that there have been some questions about gent Genty's great. He's just the how often is he getting the ball and how often are they blocking for him? But you've seen more from him already than you've seen. Travis Mimbo has been excellent at tackle for the Jets even though they've been terrible, and Teed McMillan has made a bigger impact the wide receiver for Carolina. For Carolina, No, the Tampa Bay receiver's a Buka who's been unbelievable. But he was you know, he was a mid first round pick. He was nineteen and so yeah, I do think that they haven't yet figured out how to use Travis. Now listen on the Prince. This is why he's such a tough player to quit, because he can make that throw to Brian Thomas Junior down the sideline, and he is he at Clemson, he ran a lot and he is big and strong and all those things and fast. He also loves that leap over the goal line QB sneak. That's not the first time it's been knocked out of his hands. He also will, as Aikman pointed out, miss some layups and he's it's fair, is fair. He should be better at this point than he is. But he is now positioning himself where he is going to have a real opportunity to have, you know, another postseason, and the best moment of his career came in the postseason, and so now like it's starting to take shape a little bit right it feels to me Demanse like like the playoff teams we can say with confidence are Buffalo, Indie, Jacksonville, the four and one teams, like we just got to give them credit. One team out of the AFC North. I can't write off Baltimore yet, but that's the only way Baltimore does it is if Pittsburgh. The reason I'm not saying two teams out of the North is if Pittsburgh just continues winning, Baltimore's cooked. Like Baltimore, Baltimore's path is going to be that nine wins can win you the division. So there's four and then I obviously believe the Chiefs are going to be in the I can't. It would be unfair for me to say pencil like to put the Chiefs in pen because they're two and three. So if we have Buffalo, Indy, Jacksonville, and an AFC North team in then it would be Deman's three spots, four Chiefs, Broncos, Chargers, Patriots, three spots for those four teams. And right now the team that probably of those four teams this moment, which team do you think is most anxious? Because to me, I think it's pretty clear out of Chiefs, Chargers, Broncos, Patriots, if one of them is gonna.
Speaker 2: Go Chargers probably, Yeah, the most anxious, it's the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to me, it's definitely.
Speaker 3: The Jay and Daniels more respectable, but coming off injury.
Speaker 1: JA and only scoring ten points and we'll get to that game later. Wow. The producers don't always nail it on this show. They always try with their humor, but sometimes they they miss. This one's pretty good, yeah, because you know, I obviously coined the tackle that turned the tide, and by the way, I given how Patrick has played since that moment, I think it's still even though they lost and he threw the pick six. I think it still applies. I thought Patrick was for seventy five out of seventy six plays excellent yesterday. Now, the one mistake he made like fair is fair. It flipped the game, and so I'm not giving I'm not giving him a pass. But if I were, if I were saying, was that encouraging? Yeah, they said, was that the pick that made Nick sick? And you know who suggested that?
Speaker 2: Vic?
Speaker 1: All right, all right, well done, well done, guys. But they said, is Trevor's TD the stumble that started the succession? That's pretty good. I think that's pretty good. I think it's pretty good. I like it, guys. All Right, you guys made me feel a little bit better.
Speaker 2: God, I was upset.
Speaker 1: Dan, I'm gonna have to deal with It's one thing that I'm gonna have to deal with Colin in a couple hours. But you know who is privately, I'm sure take demonte off camera reveling in this in my pain. J mac oh Man and the Chiefs and the Chiefs loss. Oh boy, that's not gonna be fun. Today's show is brought to you by our new presenting sponsor, hard Rock. Bet if you love betting on sports, or you just love sports and want to try betting. Hard Rock Bet sportsbook Gap makes it simple plus packed with great insights and NonStop promos every day of the week. I'm already looking ahead to Sunday night in Kansas City. Hard Rock Bets stats up right there in the app. Here's what it shows me, Arrowhead. We know this one of the toughest places to play for a reason. Case has won twelve in a row as a home favorite, and Kareem Hunt, after scoring again last week, has scored in seven straight October games. If you sell then dried your first bet on hard Rock Bet, there's time for you to still get one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets if you win. Just place a five dollar bet and if it hits, you get not only your winnings, but also an extra one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets, new promos every day. Just open the app and check out what you've got any day of the week. Download the hard Rock Bet app today, take a look around and make your first deposit payable in bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida. In Florida offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC. In all other states. Must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight eighty eight Admit it. In Indiana, if you are someone you know as a gambling problem wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler In Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia.
Speaker 3: Things have not been going well over there in UNC for Bill Belichick. They are off to a two and three start, and there's even talks of the documentary being canceled.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's actually canceled.
Speaker 3: And there's other talks of Bill Belichick initiating his only million million dollar buyout.
Speaker 2: You wanted to talk about this. Things are looking rough for Bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So listen. I think that it is noteworthy what Ali Connolly is saying. So you guys might be like, who is Ali Connolly? People that listen to NFL Daily Greg Rosenthal's Great Pod are familiar with Ali Connolly. He also has a substack in a newsletter called The Read Optional. I think he also is involved in some of in but he's in the UK. He's a he's in the UK. I don't know if he's British, if he's Irish, I'm not sure. I think he's British. I know that that's one you don't want to get wrong. My apologies regardless. The reason I am mentioning it is he was the guy who broke Belichick to North Carolina, and people initially like one of the reasons they it didn't get taken as gospel initially was because it's like, why is this guy in the UK breaking this story? But he had it first by a lot. So he then yesterday sent out the following tweet thread that I want to read to the audience again. The guy who first had Belichick to Carolina told us this Bill Belichick has discussed buyout options with North Carolina's hierarchy. Belichick has signaled a willingness to trigger his own million dollar buyout if he can find a soft landing with another team or in media. He goes on members of Belichick's coaching staff have already spoken to other schools that are expected to be in the College Football Playoff about taking on roles during the postseason. From one coach quote, the rats are leaving the ship end quote. Some staffers believe a change will come within two weeks. Reports of serious recruiting violations remain under investigation at UNC. Recruiting and practice violations have already been by the school. According to multiple sources, using recruiting violations to knock down and coaches buyout has become a standard practice. If Belichick cannot find a landing spot to trigger his own buyout, he's expected to accept a greatly reduced compromised rate. More on that in a second. I'll explain it. Belichick's community. Back to Dolly Connolly. Belichick's communication with his staff in the past two weeks has been described as weird and distant by multiple members of UNC's coaching staff. Multiple coaches were unable to get a hold of him during un c's bye week last tweek. From one UNC defensive assistant, what we've done to these kids is ft up and of tweet threat. So let me just give a little explanation about the buyout stuff. So people understand, if Belichick gets fired, they owe him like twenty million. If Belichick leave on his own accord, one thought, potentially for another job, they Belichick or whoever's hiring him has to pay one million. What Ali is reporting is that it is now on the board that Belichick pays that million himself just to bounce, just to be out of there, or if that doesn't happen, if he doesn't have you know, like they said soft landing, that he agrees to a greatly reduced number off that twenty million. But what Ali Connelly is reporting the too long, didn't read version is this thing's already over If you already have coaches talking about who they're going to coach this year's playoffs, it's over there. And that would be we have talked about like, can Belichick, is it fair? Can your legacy ever go backwards? In sports?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Like all, let's say bron was in year twenty five and averaged three points a game and was terrible, Like, would that be fair to hold against him? And my general rule has always been you shouldn't. You should not be penalized for continuing to do something if like if your legacy was here. I'm putting my hand if you're listening up to my eyebrows, basically, and if you quit, it was going to end there. Then continuing to play your coach. It doesn't necessarily have to raise it, but you shouldn't go backwards, right. There are rare instances, though, where it feels like people do go back I think Russell Wilson post Seattle, I think he went backwards a little. I think of Russell Wilson after when Seattle had said I'm retiring, and we never saw him be bad. We never saw him on awful teams. We never saw teams repeatedly move on from him. We would hold him in a probably higher light. For Belichick for the thing at Carolina. I didn't think he needed to be great there. But the fact that they are yet to beat a Power five school. The three legitimate teams they've played have beaten them by an average of twenty six points per game, and they are averaging on scoring themselves eleven points per game, and he might just be ready to call it holy smokes man. I it is unfathomable that it would have gone on this wrong, this gone this wrong. And I say this with all sincerity. It is a bit of a lesson, and not just Hubrius, but in what can happen if you only surround yourself with acolytes and with yes men like the GM is Lombardi whose whole The only you know, the only relevance he has left in the NFL and in football is his relationship with Belichick. I don't listen, I don't relish saying that for I don't know how much of the audience knows this. But when I started with Fox, I did a three time a week, two time a week for a full football season podcast where it was just me and Mike Lombardi. It's called make Me Smarter. I mean, I know the guy, but I got fair is fair? I have to call it what it is like. In the last decade, his connection to pro football has been his connection to Belichick. Lombardi's kid is on the coaching staff. Both of Belichick's kids are on the coaching staff. They they have they have not There is not a lot of new ideas coming in. They seemingly did a very poor job in the transfer portal. And I mean there was the quote. I wish I could tell you where.
Speaker 3: I saw it going against the integrity of the game, but their recruiting process and all that, Like he's it sounds like they were kind of cheating a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, so that so that listen, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I how much of that is true.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, I know, I don't know enough yet about the recruiting violations. And I also, to be totally honest, don't even know what's legal and what's illegal in college, Like I don't even know what. Like it seems like I don't know how you could break the rules these days, like and so that part of it is odd, but set that aside. There was a quote from a coach of a non Power five school last week that said, yeah, I knew North Carolina was going to be screwed because they were recruiting all the same players we were. He's like, whenever there's a team that is recruiting all of the guys we're after, I know that team's not going to be able to compete at the top level, but they so they And that sounds mean from the coach, but that coaches. Again, I'm not saying what's school exact, because I don't know, but yeah, he's saying he's coaching a small school and so they should not be going after this. Northern should be able to get elite players and did again. I don't want, I don't want to put you on the spot here. But you had a friend or someone you knew.
Speaker 3: Yeah he was, but he he ended up going to Colorado. But he he Yeah, he went on, did the whole process. I think he was going to do it, but you know, playing at Colorado this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, but he was recruited by Belichick's crew as a transfer student, right, He wasn't a graduating senior.
Speaker 2: He was transferring somewhere.
Speaker 1: Right, Those seventy kids that transferred into North Carolina did.
Speaker 2: It yeah for Bill? Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if we are five games in and they're already talking buyout and just giving up, that's pathetic, man. And I do think that. And I try to always be consistent and honest on this. I so the revisionist history that some folks do, acting as if those first three Super Bowls weren't teams that were led by the defense, which Belichick was in charge of. I'm not down for that. And the final Super Bowl they held the Sean McVeigh, Todd Gurley Good, Jared goff Rams to three points. So I am not going to act like Belichick was carried by Tom Brady. I don't think that is the case at all. I think they both helped each other greatly. But I'm also not going to act like.
Speaker 5: That.
Speaker 1: The last half decade has not been an abject disaster for Bill. He stopped being able to draft, he made outrageous coaching staff decisions, his personal life became very public and a legitimate distraction. All the bridges with New England seem to have been burnt. And now he goes to North Carolina and we're talking about it being over already. That's a train wreck. And there is not yet any coach, any modern coach demon's dat has a close enough resume to Belichick's to start a reel who's the best coach ever?
Speaker 2: Debate?
Speaker 1: But if we get you know, Andy is the obvious one that has a shot. But I'm not trying to make this about the Chiefs. I'm not even really trying to make this about Andy. The point I'm making is this, if somebody gets close how it is ending for Bill will hurt him. The fact that it was just rank incompetence across the board. The moment Tom left even will make people do something that I think is unfair, as I said a moment ago, which is start to put a bit of a curve negative curve on what he did with Tom. And so I normally would not.
Speaker 2: Leading with this.
Speaker 3: All this was with Tom and then like every single thing he did after that.
Speaker 1: It's been a disaster. It's and so and.
Speaker 3: Again the thing was him trying to recover on that.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, I went to college at what I did and.
Speaker 1: Correct or and that's one of the reasons he wanted to go to another NFL team to show he could do it. And so it will just like again just to bring up the Andy piece of it, like Andy had an awesome run without Patrick Mahomes, you know, like double digit playoff appearances, went to a super Bowl, multiple conference championship appearances, all like it, didn't get to the top of the mountain, but was an excellent coach without Patrick. Now he had Donovan mcnabby, had Mike Vick. He had good It's not like he had terrible quarterbacks. Obviously had really really good quarterbacks. And so it's not an apples to apples comp I'm not acting like it is. But and nobody cares about, like where did Vince Lombardi see you know how I know nobody cares. I don't even remember, like Vince Lombardi, did he finish with the Saints? The oh no, Washington, Washington for a year? Like people don't tend to care about, you know, the final chapter of an all time legend if it even if it doesn't go well. But this has gone so horrifically, Like nobody does the audience remember what Bill Parcell's final stop was, and it was the Dolphins. But he wasn't the head coach. He was the you know, basically the guy in charge of everything, and so people don't people don't typically hold that stuff against you. But this is such a train wreck that and I, by the way, I believe Ali Connolly. If Ali Connelly says this could happen in the next couple of weeks, This could happen in the next couple of weeks. And what I think is now locked and why it's worth discussing, and then we'll move on. I think it is. I think it is now minus one thousand that Belichick is not the head coach of North Carolina next year, which leads us to this, and then I promise we will move on. I guess he's just not gonna coach again, Like if the NFL was leary of him after the Patriots stint, then I guess this is just how it ends. What a crummy ending man.
Speaker 3: And hey, if they just start winning.
Speaker 1: Games, they're not good. I mean, I don't think they recruited the right players. I don't think they And it seems like there was an article on w r A L Yeah, I think, which is like the A rally Raleigh, the city in North Carolina? Is it Raleigh Rally? I'm gonna pronounce it wrong, Raleigh, I think. But MANA used to live there. That uh about the dysfunction and the infighting amongst players. It's a bad situation man. By the way, if you're thinking about upgrading to the all new iPhone seventeen Pro, designed to be the most powerful iPhone ever, but you're also thinking about the traffic on your way to the store or transferring all your data, good news. When you order a new phone online with Boost Mobile, they'll send an expert to your home. How about that or a home or work to deliver your brand new iPhone Pro and get you set up on Boost Mobile within minutes, no hassle. So you get the new iPhone, It comes right to you, and a tech comes in, get all your stuff transferred to get you set up on the network. Visit boostmobile dot com to get started. Delivery available for select devices purchased at boost mobile dot com. Terms of course, do apply.
Speaker 3: Your Chiefs in primetime again, this time against Detroit. Detroit we know has looked pretty well ever since that week when lost in Green Bay. Kansas City is two and three coming off of brutal loss to Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: You guys really need this one. How are you feeling.
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: It would feel like it makes up for giving away the game to the Jags right that after that Ravens game when they steadied themselves. If you had said the Chiefs are gonna be three and three getting Rashi Rice back, you just said, okay, like that now, the assumption would have been they win at Jacksonville and lose at home to the Lions. I thought they could win both those games. They obviously, you know, could have won the Jags game. We spent a lot of time on it on Tuesday. We don't have to rehash it. They they they didn't do it. I am going to spend a lot of time on this game during our pick show because the line is interesting. Of all the games where you thought the Chiefs might be home dogs, this would have been high on the list, and they're not. The Lions are the hottest team in the league, and the Chiefs are coming off of many meltdown against Jacksonville, and the Chiefs are still the favorites. This is what I'll say. Being two and four through six weeks not a death knell, but not great. So how badly do they need it? They need it, and I also think they they have played so many high leverage playoff games that you don't want to be playing a ton of high leverage regular season games leading into the playoffs.
Speaker 3: And so the do you think the NonStop primetime games ever wavel on Kansas City?
Speaker 1: Well, listen, yeah, I think. I think the the fact that they are the premieer. I don't care what their record is. I don't care honestly that the Eagles won the Super Bowl. The Chiefs are the premier team in the league, and because of that, for five years or six years now, they get everyone's best shot every single week they and they play. They're under the spotlight more than any other team. They have the you know, like you said, prime time pressure, all of it, more than every other team. And I think they have dealt with it as well as any team in the history of the league since you know, other than Brady's Pats, to be totally fair, and they felt with it to me as well as Brady's Pats. But they're not typically in this position of a slow start. Now. The last time they lost the Super Bowl, and I've said this many times, will say it again, they started that year three and four, and if they lose this game, they're gonna start this year three and four. And you might say, well, they could start two and five their next games against the Raiders and after that, so that they should be fine on that front. But I I this is a huge spot and we'll talk about it more on Friday show. I know you have a couple quick follow ups on it.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: Mahomes and Golf have gotten into a legendary shootout against each other before, what are you expecting in this one.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna I think shootout is what it's gonna be. I think, And also Golf, I believe is one of the only act that maybe the only active starting quarterback that Patrick's played more than once that he's never beaten. I think he's zero to two against Golf the fifty four fifty one Classic on Monday Night six seven years ago and we see one over. Yeah, I think those are the only two times they've played. And so, oh that's pretty That's an interesting little wrinkle to it. The bruises can tell me if I'm wrong on that, But I think that's and that might be hard to look up in real time, and but I think that's the case.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Uh, Golf, we know is a different quarterback when he's under pressure. Are you expecting a crazy game from Chris Jones or what are you expecting from Chris Jones?
Speaker 1: Listen, I think Chris. You know, Chris has to bounce back. It's a tough moment for him at the end of that game. I'm not going to overreact to it was a tough moment.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And you know Patrick had a bad moment with the Big six, Chris had a bad moment with the play when Trevor fell down. And so you need your first ballot Hall of Fame guys to respond and I and I expect they will all right, next game.
Speaker 3: All right, so it looks like we got Mac Jones again. Party's still dealing with that turf toe. You said there's no quarterback controversy in San Francisco, but if Mac Jones kid managed to pull this one off again, it's Tampa Bay.
Speaker 1: I don't think there will be a controversy in the building. I don't think Shanahan is going to, you know, consider not playing Brock when he's healthy. But I do think there will be a lot of noise surrounding it. And I also think the better Mac plays and the better the team plays, the more cautious they'll be with Perty's injury that we're now told could linger all year. And I do think because of the injury, if Purdy comes back and plays really poorly, I think that there are they have an out to go back to Mac Jones without being like we benched Brock, to be like, no, he's not healthy, and listen, I think Shanahan will just They drafted a kid third overall and before he had barely played, they were like, no, we're going with Purty. They you know they are not he He is willing to simply play whoever he thinks that season. Those games give him the best chance. And I've been skeptical of the Niners, but you have to give him credit for being four and one, dealing with all these injuries, and you know some Kittle will be back. The other receivers you know will be back. I don't know how much to expect for MAYUK, but they're a dangerous team at this point. And San Francisco Tampa is just an awesome game. It's one of the games of the weekend.