Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff You Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Dude do and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too for the present moment, and this is stuff you should Know.
Speaker 1: That's right, another listener request. These are just kind of pouring in now, or rather, we're leaning on them more than we have before, I guess, because they're great ideas. But this one came also from the live show in Atlanta. Yeah, and do you remember this guy? Do you remember his name?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do. It was Thomas, because this episode is Tugboats for Thomas.
Speaker 1: Tug Boats for Thomas, and Thomas I believe works on tugboats suggested it and this has turned out to be just a bread and butter stuff you Should Know episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember when he was at the mic asking the question and making the suggestion. He kept moving around because he still had a scene.
Speaker 1: Right, he's bumping into people. They're like, dude.
Speaker 2: So yeah, hopefully we'll do Thomas proud because we know a little bit about tugboats now after researching them for a little while. Big shout out to our friend Dave Ruse for helping us with this. You could do worse than going to check out Ruse's podcast Bible Time Machine, and that has nothing to do with tugboats. But let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: That's right, because we're gonna we're gonna sing the unsung like we like to do on the show, because no one ever thinks about tugboats. You see them all the time. If you live near harbor or vacation or visit cities that have harbors, you see those tugboats and those big ships and barges get all the sexy headlines. But those tugboats are doing the yeomen's work. That's why they call them nautical laborers early in their I Guess mission when they first started coming online on c Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we'll get to that in a minute about the history of tugboats because it actually goes back way further than you would think, or not as far as you think, depending on what you're thinking.
Speaker 1: But thirteen twenty Nope, not that far twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: But one of the things that tugboats are that makes them like the workhorses of the sea, as you can put it, is that they have really impressive power to tonnage ratiows. Yeah, so the size of the tugboat. The actual weight the tugboat weighs compared to the amount of power output its engines can create, usually in horse power, is really lopsided, so that these fairly comparatively light boats compared to like the horsepower they create, can pull pull, pull, and they can push push push, and they can do all sorts of amazing stuff, which is why they can move these enormous huge oil tankers and shipping tanker or shipping container ships with just the mighty might of their little hearts. You'd think I would have practiced something like that because it would have been way better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean not to undersell tugboats. They are dealing with things that are floating in water, which helps. But these are big, massive things floating in floating in water. Like you could get in a in a lake, my friend, and you could you could pull a rope attached to a pontoon boat. What and you could pull that thing around a little bit. You could swim that thing around a little bit because it's floating in water.
Speaker 2: What universe do you live in that maybe.
Speaker 1: Where you max out you are the tugboat of the lake, Josh. If you can do that to a pontoon boat because these tugboats are a little compared to these huge barges that are floating around. Does that is that making any sense at all?
Speaker 2: It's making too much sense. I've never considered myself the tugboat of the lake. Can I be doing this with my teeth? Can I be holding the rope with my teeth? Because that'd be much Uh, that's up to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, that'd be better swimming with two arms.
Speaker 2: We'll go do some some thirbig trials for it and figure out the most the one right way to pull a pontoon in a lake.
Speaker 1: We should tell them what bollard pull is to because that's the other big sort of measurement when it comes to tugging and pushing. A bollard first of all is that big sort of chunky thing on a dock that you'll tie a boat to the big daddies, And bollard pull is the total amount of towing force generated by a tugboat. And they measure that in killo Newton's.
Speaker 2: They do, And I've seen that often converted to tons, and it's the same thing. The more killing Newtons you have, or the more tons you have, the more pulling power, towing power, pushing power that tugboat has. So there's this one boat that Dave found called the Island Victory. At least one article called the most powerful boat in the world. I saw other articles that name some other shipping contains vessel. But this, this tugboat, say, it's probably the most powerful tugboat around. The Island Victory has a ballard pull of four hundred or four thousand, six hundred and eighty kilo newtons, which converts to four hundred and seventy seven tons. A typical harbor tug, which is nothing to sneeze at, has a ballard pull between five hundred and six hundred kilo newtons six hundred killing newtons converts to sixty one tons. So this is an enormously powerful boat. And that's the whole point. They're not fast, they aren't pretty, they're cute in a really weird way, but they can generate so much power that they can push a shipping container vessel around. More importantly, if you have a really high ballard pull. The reason that this is this rating is even there is to find out which tug you can connect to which vessel because of a vessel starting to go in the wrong direction and it's about to crash into, say a bridge. The tugboat has to be able to go from zero, not moving at all in the water, to pulling that boat in the opposite direction away from that bridge in a moment's notice, and it has to have that much power, and they do. They do.
Speaker 1: I think they are very attractive boats. You can tell a tugboat because it has you know, they're built to tug and push. So they have a very wide beam which is the widest point of the boat. They sit very low in the water, which is called a deep draft, and you know they're little short, stubby, wide guys that sit really low. I think they're adorable and cool looking. They're very very stable. They're not tippy at all when you know they're bumping against other things, they're pushing other things, and so they have to be just super stable. And also love that they have beards that front bumper or a or a balfender. They call it a beard in that lingo, and I think that's pretty great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's just what they use. Like you said, when they purposely or accidentally bump up against a larger ship. You can't just have the tugboat like crack up so you have a bender.
Speaker 1: They're built a bump.
Speaker 2: They are built a bump. And some tugboats aren't necessarily built with a beard. They'll have tires strung along the side to use as a bumper as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think those are additional. I think the front always has a built in beard.
Speaker 2: Okay, fine, So one other thing that you're going to find about tugboats that will talk about more in depth later is that they're extremely nimble. They're agile, they can move in a different direction very quickly. And that that's a really important thing too, because one of the big jobs that the tugboat plays in, say like a shipping lane at like a port, is to help avoid other ships coming in or out. So they have to be able to move not just pull a ship very easily, but they have to be able to move quickly and move that ship out of the way of say like another ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And I say we take an earlier break because we're at a great spot to break here before we talk about the history of these things. You want to do that. Let's break it all right, let's break on three all right, I promise talk of history, and here we go, because if you want to to invent a tugboat, the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries was a pretty good time to do it because we were using sailing ships at the time for transporting people and goods and all kinds of things. And those things are gorgeous, beautiful in the water. They sailed great out on the high seas, but they did not do well, especially because they were just sailing ships when they got around land in small, tight spaces, so they would you know, you've seen it in movies. They would dock or not dock, but they would anchor, you know, a couple of hundred feet from shore and then start shuttling people and stuff in little tiny boats because that's about as close as they could safely get, and that's not efficient. Taylor would be rolling over in.
Speaker 2: His grave, that's right. There was another problem too, Even for a ship that could it was nimble enough to kind of navigate its way into port, say like the mouth of a river in a harbor or something, right once it got in there, it had to wait for the wind to whip up again to set sail once more. And this was not something that happened every hour on the hour, even twice a day like the tide. Sometimes you would have to wait for days or weeks for the right wind to come up that you could catch and ship back out to see again. Also not at all efficient, So there was like a real need for tugboats to be invented. But what's nuts is tugboats were invented and then ignored for decades, and then finally the guy who invented them, who was just totally made fun of as we'll see for inventing tugboats, was vindicated. But I think he was dead.
Speaker 1: Already, Yeah, I think he was. He was from England, eighteenth century inventor. His name, no Lie, was Jonathan Holes.
Speaker 2: That's nuts.
Speaker 1: It is pretty nuts. And he thought it was like a helper vessel is what he called it. It was powered by a steam engine. But we were talking about was tugboats. It could tow a sailboat in and out of port. This was in seventeen thirty seven when he filed for a patent. It was called a description and Draft of a new invented machine for carring vessels or ships out of or into any harbor, port, or river against the wind and tide or in a calm and it was totally genius, thirty years before James Watt's steam engine hit the scene, and everyone was like, what a dumb idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Not only that, the people in his hometown of Gloucester, they wrote a song about him. They wrote a song they wrote like they thought this guy was so terrible and just such a lousy inventor that there was a song. I'm guessing people would sing in pubs about him, specifically, his name's in the song. And when Jonathan Holds with his patent skulls invented a machine to go against wind and stream, but he, being an ass, couldn't bring it to pass, and so was a shame to be seen. Can imagine sitting there nursing like your mead, Well, everybody around you is singing that song about you.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna try whip whip up a melody.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, Jonathan Holes with his patent skulls invented a machine to go against the wind and stream.
Speaker 1: You should finish, okay, but you, being an ass, could and bring it to pass, and so was ashamed.
Speaker 2: To be seen. Wow, you went with the Gilbert and Sullivan version.
Speaker 1: I guess so all I know is We're getting kicked out of his pub any second.
Speaker 2: Now, They're like, get out of Gloucester.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just stop it. We're gonna get so much for that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Holes was definitely ahead of his time, but it would be sixty years before the first steam powered tugboats his invention were actually put into good use and they were deployed in Scotland. Yeah. Yeah, and as we'll see, actually Scotland was where the tugboat got its name at the time. I'm not sure what they call them, maybe still helper vessels, I don't know. But one of the first things they did was to start pulling cargo along canals, because at the time, if you wanted to move cargo easily over land, you did it over water that was cut into land, and you would do it with a donkey pulling your cargo along the shore. The donkey was walking on the shore with the line going from the donkey to a little barge that was being pulled down a water filled canal. That was the state of the art at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Have you ever walked along an old river way that has those built up banks for that purpose?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Toledo has something called the canal experience or historic canal experience. There's some canals running through part of the town from the early nineteenth century that you can walk along and you're like, wow, this is an old donkey path. Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had my experience doing that in Akron, so that maybe an Ohio thing. I believe the waterway through sand Run is where that was. It was the same deal and Emily or her mom or somebody you know, because you're up higher and you know it's an obvious path and they're like, yeah, this this is where the donkeys and pack horses would pull these things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you donkey.
Speaker 1: There was a paddle steamer named Charlotte Dundas that was the first tugboat in operation towing for the very pert strip I think two fully loaded sloops eighteen miles along the Fourth and Clyde Canal at Glasgow at scorching two miles and per hour. Yeah, but still like it was working. That was the key, That's all that mattered. Yeah, they had all the time in the world, right.
Speaker 2: And you can bet that every donkey in Scotland was like whow yeah, God they invented these things right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Probably.
Speaker 2: So there was also as we talked about one of the big problems with sailboats as shipping vessels was that they had trouble getting in and out of harbors. They had trouble navigating, They had to wait for the wind so very quickly. It seemed kind of obvious that you could if you could get one of these boats into port into harbor, which you could use a tugboat for, you could also pull it up river. It wouldn't have to navigate any longer because you could just pull it by a helper vessel into some of the cities that were not located on the coast, but they were located on a river. One example I can think of is London and the Thames.
Speaker 1: That's right forty miles inland, so that was a huge boon for London. At the time. There was a steamship called the Majestic that worked with the East India Company towing things back and forth up the Thames, and Liverpool had one as well, so they were getting in on the game there in the UK.
Speaker 2: They were so like I said, it was in Scotland that tugboats got their name back in eighteen seventeen in Dumbarton.
Speaker 1: I think I'm saying that, right. Okay, oh, well, how would you say it? I would say Dumbarton, but I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just kind it's gotta be Dumbarton. Okay, okay, well we'll go with one of those two. How about that? Sure, somebody built a steamship a tug boat that they named tug They weren't called tugboats until this time, and I guess that name stuck because it also makes sense practically you're tugging a boat behind you, so that from that henceforth on they were known as tugboats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, earlier I was saying that they said, oh, this idea is so dumb. I don't know if it was that it was so dumb, But steam power and stuff that came along a little bit later, Like they didn't have steam engines at the time, so they wouldn't have even known it was dangerous. But when they did come online? Why do keep saying that, I don't think it fits right.
Speaker 2: It's a little anachronistic.
Speaker 1: I think so. But online doesn't mean just on the internet. Online just means like it's beginning to function right as a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember that Simpsons where Lenny goes little kid. Lenny's like, oh, he just logged onto my internet because he pooped his pants out of he pooped his bathing suit with the little interneting. So he said he logged onto his internet.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so good. That's a good line. Oh boy, Lenny, and he logged onto my internet. Where was that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Steam engines were dangerous. They would blow up a lot. There was you know, when tugboats first started using you know, coming online using that steam. They were like I don't know, I mean, is it is it better to have this thing that might blow up a port? Right?
Speaker 2: And then the owners were like, well, we don't go on these boats. We just owned them, so sure, I mean that's fine, they can blow up. But yes, they were viewed skeptically, I think, right like it was. It was not just a done deal that these things were like gonna save the industry or shipping. Yeah, but there was a proving ground what ended up being a proving ground on the Tyne River that connected Newcastle to the North Sea. They were facing a problem, right. They had these barges that were they were called colliers and they were sailboats, but they were coal movers because Newcastle was a huge coal producer, and these colliers could do a lot of damage because they were hard to navigate. They had all the same problems that any sailing vessel had. So there was a guy named Joseph Price who in eighteen eighteen was like, I think I've got a solution to this. I'm going to buy some of these steamships that they're now being called tugboats, and I'm going to have them pull these colliers, these coal ships up and down the tyne, and I think it's going to revolutionize shipping. And Joseph Price was right on the money. The price was right.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you almost had it right out of the gate. So now you could get four hundred ton ships because you know, I don't know if we mentioned they were loading like railroad cars onto these things for the first time, so it was very very heavy stuff. They could go to Newcastle for the first time. All of a sudden, people in more distant places could get coal. So it wasn't just like hey, it made, you know, make things cheaper and more efficient. It like it was literally changing like lives all over the world, right, And.
Speaker 2: These new towns that were getting coal for the first time were able to give up having to burn dried donkey poop that they scraped up off the donkey trails along the canals.
Speaker 1: It was huge for them, totally.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Joseph Price Price proved of the world. Like no, these things are extraordinarily valuable, so much so that they're going to completely change shipping from this point on. And they definitely have and they're still just as useful as ever. And they they made a name for themselves so much that the when the Royal Navy purchased their first steamships of any kind, they were tugboats. Yeah, the Comet and the Monkey, Comment and Monkey. And I can't decide whether it's a band name or a cartoon name.
Speaker 1: Comment and Monkey. That'd be a fun cartoon. I'd watch that or drug. I'd also take that comment Monkey, just kidding.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they definitely proved their worth pretty early on. I mean, this is eighteen eighteen, and the first ones were used shortly before that.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And these were paddle boats by the way up until the late nineteenth century. If you're picturing like your little friendly tugboat in your mind as we talk about all these stories, erase that and now picture a tugboat with two paddles on both sides. It wasn't like the big paddle in the back, like the sort of fun things you ride around on at Stone Mountain Park here in Georgia.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's where they're most famous.
Speaker 1: They were paddle wheels on both sides, which seems a little wider and more cumbersome, but that really really really made them much more maneuverable and able to steer in tighter places, and to steer in two different directions like a right, I got one of those zero turned lawnmowers. You put those things in two different directions and you're just spinning like a top.
Speaker 2: It's the exact same thing, because those two paddle wheels were able to be moved independent of one another. And once you can do that, yes, you just start doing doughnuts to show off in the harbor, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the nineteenth century came and went and those paddle wheel tugs were replaced with screw propellers, which is another term for a propeller like you see on a ship like that's just called screw propeller. So like any ship, they were propelled by propellers and then diesel engines came along, and that's when everything really kind of changed, because when you have a diesel engine, you can get some amazing horsepower out of it, way more than steam. It's also less dangerous. I think we talked about all this in our Rootolf Diesel episode, and that's when the tugboats became started to become the tugboats that we think of today.
Speaker 1: That's right, Shall we take our second break?
Speaker 2: You bet?
Speaker 1: All right? We took an early one, so we're gonna take this one, and we're going to come back and talk a little bit about well tugboats right after this.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned tugboats strike, right, I didn't. Oh, well, there's a tugboat strike. We have to talk about. That really kind of demonstrates how how important tugboats made themselves over the years. In New York Harbor, in nineteen forty six, every single tugboat operator, there were three hundred of them in the harbor at the time, they all went on strike. And this was very quickly it became evident how essential tugboats were for everything in New York because there was coal coming from Lake Erie through the Erie Canal to the Hudson down to the Harbor and they would be spread all throughout Manhattan and all throughout New York. Food shipments came in by barge, garbage went.
Speaker 1: Out by barge.
Speaker 2: New York operated on barges, and if you're using barges, you need a tugboat to tow or push those barges. So when the tugboat stopped working, New York stopped working. And within twelve days the tugboat operators got their demands fulfilled, which turns out to have just been nicer hats from what I read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they rationed food. They literally shut the lights down on Broadway. It was their their backup plan of just you know, using smaller boats to ferry stuff in and out. They were just like, Manhattan is far too big for this already, right, And the tugboat operators, I guess, I mean, what a what a moment to sit back and just sort of like float, say yeah, now, yeah, gloat a little bit now now, who was important? The tugboat driver Thomas, One day we'll be in Atlanta so we could get the word out about tugboats and New York. Harver was a great place to sort of make that point, because you know, if you didn't have tugboats. Then those containers with all those goods and services are essentially useless.
Speaker 2: Right, I said float, by the way, but gloat works even better.
Speaker 1: Oh you said float.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were gloating while we floating. Okay, so there were some things that changed, stuff you would not at all connect to why tugboats became less vital over the year. Still incredibly important, and you can make a case that world shipping would essentially just stop if tugboats stopped. So they're really important, but just not in exactly the same ways as they were before. Because we started getting our energy over things like pipelines, We started using things that weren't coal. Trucking and shipping containers became a much bigger thing than say, barges over the years. So with each of those things, the tugboat became less and less able to do what it did in nineteen forty six. And yet it's still so vital that you just can't do anything without them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, you know they've got they've got electric tugs. Now.
Speaker 2: I saw that there's one called the Ewolf.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, it's good looking tug. I mean it's interesting. I never really thought about electric boats, but that's becoming more and more of a thing, which is kind of awesome.
Speaker 2: It is awesome, and let's talk about why. Here's why, Chuck. Remember we said that these things generate crazy amounts of horsepower. Yes, some harbor tugs or ocean going tugs generate twenty seven thousand plus horse power. Yeah, it's like having twenty seven thousand horses just running at the back of this thing, like kicking their legs all at once, right. Yeah, And to do that, you use a lot of fuel, a ton of diesel fuel. Some of these boats can carry way more than they need in a day, like thirty thousand gallons of diesel. But I saw that the average harbor tug, which is working almost constantly, will use about three thousand gallons of diesel fuel a day. And that is a lot of fuel to use, right, So it's using this non renewable resource. It's also putting out crazy amounts of diesel emissions. Yeah, and that's just one tug boat using three thousand gallons of diesel a day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The reason also, I was like, why do they carry so much more than they need, because doesn't that make the tugboat heavier? And therefore you have to use more fuel to get more horsepower out of it. And the reason that I came up with that I found was that time is of such value in a harbor at a port that it's more costly to stop what you're doing and go refuel than it is to carry around all that extra fuel. They have those capacities so that they have they take way longer in between refuelings. That's the point. That's how crazy important time as imports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it, you know, especially in a place like New York. Carver very busy, very busy.
Speaker 2: So you talked about that's the motto over the entrance down.
Speaker 1: To the dock. It says that what also you need to be as maneuverable because it's very busy, very busy. And you mentioned that a little bit earlier on that they need to be able to move really in any direction, very accurately and as quickly as possible. And the asthma thruster was a big change in that because that is a imagine a propeller inside a housing sort of like a you know, sort of like an e fan or something like that, and it can just turn. That's exactly what it looks like. Last thing I never.
Speaker 2: Thought that, but it can.
Speaker 1: It can turn three hundred and sixty degrees. So it's not a fixed propeller and a rudder for steering, and it's not even a non fixed propeller that can move left and right as a propeller that can spin in any direction, which means you got one of those little joystick controllers as a tugboat pilot, and you can inch that thing in the most minute little ways with just a flick of the stick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't that amazing?
Speaker 1: Pretty cool?
Speaker 2: I also read about something called a tractor tug which has basically two outboard motors like those two side paddle wheels, and so you can move them independently. And they have a lot of power too, just not as much as the asthmuth I think, but they they're controlled by two joysticks. So it's hard enough just think about using one. Imagine using two to move a tugboat around like a huge ship that you're trying not to knock into other ships. It's just I can't It's got to be one of the more stressful jobs around piling a tugboat, right, I bet well, I have to ask Thomas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did mention a lot. I mean, we've talked a lot about moving boats around. That's obviously what you think of when you think of a tugboat, but they do a bunch of other stuff too, salvage operations, s and R or SAR or search and rescue ops that we've talked a lot about on the show. If there's ever a you know, if there's a busy canal that's blocked or something, or a ship that has gone offline, say that that is gumming up the works, You're gonna send a tugboat in there to get those things out of there.
Speaker 2: So we Yeah, we talked about that. The ship that ever given which blocked the Suez Canal for I think weeks, which is a huge dent in global shipping, right. We talked about that in detail, and I could not, for the life of me, remember what episode that was in.
Speaker 1: Do you what's it in? Do we do one on the Suez Canal or just.
Speaker 2: The I looked if we did, we didn't name.
Speaker 1: It that which canal? Do we do what episode on?
Speaker 2: I don't remember doing any canal episode.
Speaker 1: Oh we did something canals, right, don't it seems very familiar to me?
Speaker 2: I think we just earlier talking about Donkey Path and stuff. Did our Canal episode?
Speaker 1: Hmm, wait, guess possible.
Speaker 2: We might have done one that included like the Panama Canal and maybe yes, I'll bet it was in the Panama Canal episode. I think we did that one. Yeah, we did Panama Canal. Okay, there you go, true and love can we did a little different. But yeah. Also, by the way, the Navy just unveiled the whole new group of search and rescue ships. They're they're called Navajo class tug boats and they're pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Looking, all right, what else firefighting tugboats? Of course?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're called Fife's cute either Fifi or five Fi. I've only seen it spelled out.
Speaker 1: I bet it's Fife. Five five would be weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fife is not weird. And the the see.
Speaker 1: It's well, I don't know, Captain, I don't have my sea legs, but Fifi is at least a cute See name five Fi is nothing.
Speaker 2: Let's try this out, r Look at that five Fi. Look at that Fifi. I think five Fi wins the day.
Speaker 1: Okay, right, so ice icebreakers and I don't mean at office parties either.
Speaker 2: Right, A tugboat just goes in between two people struggling to find something to talk about, and now all of a sudden they can talk about the tugboat that just went in between them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he goes up to uh and says, if you could invite anyone from history to dinner, who would it be?
Speaker 2: Okay, I hate this question so much.
Speaker 1: It's the worst.
Speaker 2: There's also anchor handling. There's actually special tugboats called anchor handling tugs appropriately enough. Yeah, and the anchors they're talking about are oil platform tankers, and these are ocean going tugs, the ones that carry one hundred thousand gallons of diesel fuel because they're out to see for indefinite periods of time. And the anchors that they're pulling around are massive. They're like keeping oil rigs out in the open ocean from floating away. So obviously they're really big anchors. But it's hard to get across how big they are unless you go look up photos of them. Try to find a photo of a human being standing or working near an oil rig anchor, and it'll really kind of drive home what these tugs are pulling around. Makes it even more impressive.
Speaker 1: All Right, I'm going to look that up and tell you what I think before the end of the episode. Okay, good line handling too. Like these tow ropes, if they're like, hey, we need to get this tow rope out to that ship, you don't just throw it on a guy's shoulder. Like these ropes, like those anchors are the most massive thing ropes you've ever seen in your life. Yeah, and so there's Thomas saying, just throw it on guys. I got it, I'll take it out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was reading an LA Times article about remember the shipping shut down, the cargo container backup in La and Long Beach at the pandemic that just killed everything. The writer went out on a tugboat and was just kind of chronicling like a morning and the life of this tugboat. And they were talking about how recently some two deckhands, one had been injured and one had been killed by a line tightening and pressing them up against the side of the tugboat. So oh like jaws, yeah exactly, but kill them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So it was a I mean you can just imagine, like this is a three inch thick rope that just suddenly is you know, thousands of killing Newton's pressing you against a metal, a big piece of metal, which is the inside of the ship. It's not the place that you want to be. So it is being in deckhand, which is one of the jobs on the tugboat, is very dangerous and as we'll see, kind of the job you want to work your way up out of.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, you've also got engineers who you know, they take care of those engines, they take care of all the getting things online, mechanical systems, electrical systems. You have your mate, your second and in command and secondary pilot, and then you got that cap'n the primary pilot that's running that ship. If you work in let's just pick out New York City, because people think about tugboats a lot there in New York. Carver work, Yeah, everyone does.
Speaker 2: Okay, I took a pole. Okay.
Speaker 1: They work two weeks shifts, two weeks on, two weeks off. You live on that boat full time. And then on those days that you work, you work two six hour shifts, six hours working six hours off, six hours working six hours off. And that is I'm sure Thomas would would verify that this is tough, hard work.
Speaker 2: That is too short. I mean you're like, oh, six hour shift, that's not bad, but then you have to eat and sleep in the next six hours. That's yeah. I don't know why they do it like that. It seems like you would wear your crew out really fast with that schedule.
Speaker 1: Would you have them work twelve hours straight and then twelve hours off?
Speaker 2: No, I think even eight hours. That extra two hours to unwind and eat and then get six hours sleep is adequate because I mean, seriously, you think about it, You're like, you're not doing six hours off and then you just fall over and sleep where you were just standing while you were working. Now that you're off the clock, you're gonna like unwind, you gotta eat, you're gonna just do whatever, shaved, shower, and then you're gonna get what three and a half four hours sleep if you're lucky, maybe five. I think that's a little whack, as.
Speaker 1: They say, yeah, it's whack, But I think it's one of those things with shift work, like you get used to sleeping all day and working at night. Those people probably get used to sleeping in two four hour sets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and I'm sure they're significant like, oh you're awake again, huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But then they're at home for two weeks straight.
Speaker 2: That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Jeez, can you get back to work?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, it's a hard life. I'm sure Commas can tell us.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, for sure. There are push boats. Uh these are pretty fun. A push tug that's a towboat that has a squared off front at the bow and these padded beams called push knees, and you basically push those knees against the stern and uh you even lash it together sometimes and that you're just pushing pushing something around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, one's fine. But I like the articulated tug barge or atb This is it's an improved version of this. Right, So the barge and the tugboat have like a notch and a corresponding like pointy part. You put them together and put a pin through the two, and now you've got like one single machine. But the tugboat can still maneuver like fishtail and move that barge and all sorts of crazy hard angles, right, And I was like, why don't you just mechanize or motorize the barge? And apparently they use this mostly for oil tank oil shipping, and you just get more oil out of it. And the barges are cheaper because they don't have any self propulsion, So it's kind of like a shipping container in a truck, Like the tractor is different than the trailer, and so you can hook all sorts of different trailers up to the same tractor time and time again, rather than just you know, having to pilot that trailer all the time. It made more sense to me when I was researching it than it is now that I'm explaining it.
Speaker 1: Well, it does sort of lend itself to the question of like, why don't these huge barges have a little secondary Asthmuth propeller system that can be deployed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the expense that added expense. I think they're cheaper because it's just a barge that is just basically a floating container that a tug can hook onto.
Speaker 1: The well maybe so. And the other thing that I also regret not investigating now is how the finances of this work. Is it a tugboat company that just says, all right, we're going to contract with this barge company for a certain set of time, yes, and we'll just handle all your tugging and pushing needs. Basically, in this harbor, So I.
Speaker 2: Think it kind of from what I understand, it bears a bit of a resemblance to like the shipping like trucking industry, where somebody needs a toe or an escort or something like that in or out of the harbor, and you just contract with somebody. Then I don't know if like you contract with one specific shipping company or you just kind of go back and forth depending on who needs what when, or it's a mixture of both. I'm not sure, but I know that back in the day, they it used to be whoever got there first, So as a ship was coming in, topboats would race out to meet them, and whoever got there first had that contract right there because they were the first ones on the scene and they were the ones who were going to pull the ship into its berth.
Speaker 1: Surely it's an all inclusive thing, though, and it's not just like, oh, you need to get over there five hundred bucks, right, you know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I don't think it's like that for sure. But I read another article. The AP did an article on the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore. But last year, earlier this year, you remember when that ship ran into the bridge and the bridge collapsed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: So the there was like heavy criticism because that ship wasn't being escorted by a tugboat, and everybody's like, where was the tugboat? Why was this allowed to happen? And the ap was explaining, that's just not how it works. Like the tugboat pulls the ship out of its berth and kind of gets it on its way, and then it goes back and attaches to another ship, and then that ship has to find its way out of harbor, including navigating under and next two bridges and other stuff. Right, And the reason why is money. It costs an extra ten grand to pay a tugboat to pull you safely out into a harbor so you can make way. And the shipping industry holds the cards now, because if you start charging more at a port, or you start, say requiring ships to have a tugboat all the way out into the harbor, it's going to cost more money. And if another port nearby doesn't force you to do that, it's going to be less and so everybody's going to go to that port and all of your dock workers are going to lose their jobs and you're not going to get reelected as mayor Baltimore. You see what I'm saying. Wow. Yeah, it's crazy how weirdly entrenched it is. And again, it's just so discouraging. It seems like every episode we talk about you can trace it back to some group of people who are cutting corners because of money, and then something bad happens and nobody does anything about it. I'm so sick of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds like a new episode of The Wire too, it does.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I'm a right now. Let me just apologize to Thomas. Sorry, Thomas.
Speaker 1: If you want to pick up your spirits, my friend, go to New York City and take a ride on the Wo Decker because that's one of the funding fun things you can do in New York. I have not done it yet, but I'm going to make a point to go to the South Street Seaport Museum in New York, where you can actually take a ride on the classic and beautiful Wo Decker tug.
Speaker 2: Yep, pretty neat.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: There's some other stuff you can do too, but that's probably the best.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, I'd like to do the best thing.
Speaker 2: Good. Uh, you got anything more on tugboats, Charles.
Speaker 1: I got nothing. I just love these pictures. There's something about a tugboat. I like the way they look. Yeah, it was tires hanging off of them, and they're just there's something about the utilitarian aspect. And especially that wo decker with that big old nose on the front. I don't even know what that is. That's the beard, right, yeah, but it's it's not a beard that I've ever seen. It really looks like a beard.
Speaker 2: I was reading like a kid's maritime museum website about tugboats, and they were trying to explain why everyone loves tugboats, because you're it's true, like there's nobody who doesn't like tugboats, especially if you have nothing to do with the industry, right, you're just watching them from afar, And they explain that they're very powerful and they're small, but they're also very helpful, and I think they kind of nailed it on the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Actually, some of these beers are very beardy.
Speaker 2: So I get it, Okay, So Chuck gets it, and he mentioned beards twice in quick succession, which of course unlocks listener nail.
Speaker 1: That's right, And it also conjures Beetlebeard. What sorry? You know you say beatlejuw three times?
Speaker 2: Oh gotcha? I gotcha, Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 1: I saw that sequel last night.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: Did you see it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know, I enjoyed it. I thought it was fun. It's not some great movie. But none of Tim Burton's movies are great to me.
Speaker 2: But I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think Edward was great, but I think that's his only truly great film. What I mean, tell me another.
Speaker 2: Edward scisor Hands, Sleepy Hollow.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed Edward Scissorhands. I don't think it's great. Sleepy Hollow I thought was mid at best.
Speaker 2: He's kind a whole I disagree. Sleepy Hall is one of my all time favorite movies. That's one of those ones I can watch like any time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, I like it. I like most of his movies, but I just don't think they're great films.
Speaker 2: I understand what you're saying. I mean, the nineteen ninety Batman not the best. I would say that that's not a great movie too, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I mean I like most of his movies.
Speaker 2: I understand what it says.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, yeah, yeah, anyway, I thought it was.
Speaker 2: I thought it was good.
Speaker 1: It was fun, It was good enough for what I wanted out of it, which was a bit of nostalgia. And I loled quite a few times because I just think Michael Keaton is really funny and Catherine O'Hara is really funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think Catherine O'Hare did great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know it was it was.
Speaker 2: Just Okay, I keep forgetting to recommend a movie to you that I I'll see it and remember how great it was, and then I forget to tell you about it again. It's called a Dark Song, okay. It's about a woman who seeks revenge, so she finds an occultist to help her conjure demons to enact revenge.
Speaker 1: How do you find movies that no one else has ever heard?
Speaker 2: I don't know how I found that one. I really don't remember, but it's on Amazon Prime if I'm not mistaken. And it sounds like a hokey premise, but the research that the writers did is so like dead on that it's entirely possible. There's people out there who believe that you can do this exact thing that they're doing, and conjure this exact demon. It's nuts. It's really it's really a good movie. It's pretty rough. I would not watch it with the kids, but it's a it's a very good art house horror film.
Speaker 1: Well. Ruby Whent is Megan for Halloween, so she's pretty into that stuff. But this sounds too dark.
Speaker 2: It's a little there's a part in there that she should not see.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I'll also say this, I just looked up a dark song really quickly, and there's a Reddit thread a dark song is it real? So apparently it's pretty convinced.
Speaker 2: It is very convincing.
Speaker 1: All right, So that's been movie minutes.
Speaker 2: Yep. Did you ever read the listener?
Speaker 1: Mal no, man, I'm waiting on the queue.
Speaker 2: I said that you said you said something in quick secession, and you unlocked listener meal Jerry already ran the chime.
Speaker 1: I got a sidetracked. Hey, buddy, I don't jump unless you tell me too.
Speaker 2: So I did tell you, and you didn't jump, and everything broke down as if the tugboats stopped tugging.
Speaker 1: Oh that means another lashing tonight.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna last you to the tugboats.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, put me up there. With the beard. All right, Hey, guys, love the show, especially the unsolved mystery episodes. Needless to say, I loved the one a couple of months ago about the mysteries of the Internet and the mysterious song that caught my attention.
Speaker 2: Oh I know where this one's going.
Speaker 1: Boy. They came pouring in and I have to say, the mystery seems to have been solved about the most mysterious song on the Internet. It is not the one that people sent in right after we published. That was not even the same song. Those people were lazy, uh, But yeah, it broke and we've gotten like a hundred emails that that artist has been identified. There's a reddit thread. It's a Reddit user tracked it down. The song is called Subways of Your Mind by the group. I don't know if it's fex or fex, not sure how they pronounce it. The user found the band from an old newspaper article in the NordWest Zeitung archive. While they were researching houterfests bands bands performed. That music festival was a lead the subreddit was working on. The article they found was about a band called Fix from Keel who won a talent contest in Bremen, September nineteen eighty four. Their music was described as rock with wave and pop influences in tracks. The user managed to get in touch with a member of the band and they produced original tapes of the recorded song to prove they were the ones who recorded Wow. I read through the subreddit. They said, wait a minute before you go wide with this, because I want to talk to the rest of the band. First came back and said, I talked to the rest of the band. They're into it and we want to like re record it and you know, get back together and re record this thing now that it's got some fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gonna do an acoustic country version.
Speaker 1: Uh, this is for Michael, but big thanks to everybody who wrote in because it's pretty exciting, you know. Somerton Man was found on our watch.
Speaker 2: On our watch, right, thanks to us.
Speaker 1: Thanks to us, and this was solved on our watch. So as the longer we do the show, the more these mysteries are kind of you know, maybe they'll find that that guy who disappeared from the airport. Remember that guy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that poor kid from Yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: What island is Swedish or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a sad story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're hoping to clear up all these mysteries. But yeah, the mysterious song has been solved.
Speaker 2: Great and it was fects subways of your mind? And who wrote in? Because I mean a million people wrote in. I don't think we've ever got more more email about the same thing in less time than on this one. It was astounding. It was like, yeah, those post so office workers come in at the end of Miracle on thirty fourth Street and start dumping Santa letters down to the judge's bench. It was like that, but with emails about the most mysterious song on the Internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's gonna get worse because this isn't gonna come out because we're front loading for Christmas break and so like we're going to be getting these emails.
Speaker 2: For a while. Oh dude, we'll be ginning them for years. Chuck, we got an email from somebody this week and the subject time was Chuck predicted shark Nato Right. That is an old, old.
Speaker 1: Classic, Oh man, but all they hear about Jared from Subway and Hugh Jackman Jackman playing pt Bond.
Speaker 2: Who is it the greatest show min yet?
Speaker 1: Anyway? That was for Michael.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot, Michael, very much appreciated. Thanks to everybody who wrote in. We don't mean to sound ungrateful. We're just joshing around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love YEP.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah. Keep us informed as best you can all the time. And since I said that you want to be like Michael, I should tell you that you can send us an email. Send it off to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.