Speaker 1: YouTube TV hikes prices again, but there might be a workaround. Apple's latest AI features bring even more smarts to the iPhone. And Santa is on chat GPT talk to the big guy himself this holiday season. Santa, is that you?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, indeed, my dear, it is I Santa Claus. What a joy to hear from you. What can I do for you today?
Speaker 1: We'll talk to Santa in just a little bit. Plus your tech questions answered. Oh there.
Speaker 3: You wish to chat? Okay, jolly day, my friend.
Speaker 1: What's going on in Rich Demiro And this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe the tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me call. If you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to Rich on tech dot tv and hit contact guests. This week on the show, we've got Jared Schnader, Senior bus director at cal Start he's going to talk about California's first electric road charging system. Then later we've got cyber security expert Perry Carpenter. He's going to share insights from his new book about protecting ourselves against AI generated deep fakes and deceptions. And uh, even later, Miami parents Natalia Daniel and oded pelld are going to talk about first Ease. This is their new app that I wish I had when my kids were young. This helps you capture or organize and share your kid's milestone moments. We had one of those books, you know, where you write in it as your kid grows up, and I think we did the first entry, you know, and that was it. First smile, that was it. I hope you're having a great week. This week, I drove up to the San Francisco Bay area, where apparently Kim tells me right now, where she's answering calls, there's a tornado warning. What the heck? What is happening in California? So be careful up there. She's going to answer your calls best she can from her storm shelter. I think she's taking shelter. But I experienced something driving up there that I'd never experienced in my life the thickest fog I have ever driven through.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: I remember living in Louisiana and driving through a storm that was like you couldn't see in front of your car. This was like that, except there was no storm. It was just fog that was so thick that I was like, am I in a joke here? Like what is happening like? And I had to go so slow, following the car in front of me, which I couldn't even see. So I was like, okay, I don't want to. The worst thing in that situation is like if there's a car that you come up on that's like stopped on the freeway, and of course you're gonna ram right into it, so you got to be very very careful. I considered pulling off the road, but I couldn't even see the place to pull off. I was like, well that's dangerous too, So I just went really slow and I posted about my Instagram at rich on Tech, and I got so many messages from folks and apparently this has a name. It's called tule fog, and so this is what it's. That's what it is, and I guess it's like really thick fog that collects a certain I don't know whatever. The weather is kind of weird anyway, that was a new one. I can't tell you what I went up to San Francisco for just yet, but in the new year, it's very very cool. All right, let's talk about Apple. You got some new features on the iPhone this week, iOS eighteen point two, So keep in mind you can update to iOS eighteen point two on a lot of iPhones, but only the latest iPhones, the iPhone fifteen Pro and the iPhone fifteen Pro Max, plus all the iPhone sixteen models get these Apple Intelligence features. This is a second round of Apple Intelligence features, and I think this is the better of the two so far. So you know you've got the new update when you see that new image playground app icon on your home screen. This is kind of like a little mini Pixar studio on your phone. You're gonna have a lot of fun with this because it lets you generate AI images. And of course Apple puts their own spin on just about every aspect of what they do, and this is no different. So most of the AI image generators, it's just a textbox and you say, okay, let me think about what I want to generate. But of course Apple gives you a couple prompts, so it has different themes, costumes, all kinds of things that you can add to your image without you having to think of them. So you can say, Okay, I want this person to be a birthday, a disco, a party, winter holidays. I want a costume like an artist, an astronaut, a chef, a scientist. I want an accessory like a beanie or a party hat or a hard hat. Or you can add the place like a city does, desert, stadium or space. So it's got a whole bunch of things to kind of get you started, and you can mix and match these. And the other neat thing is that you can start with a picture of a person. A lot of these AI generation tools don't want to use people, but Apple just went there and they're like, you know what, we know how to program this thing. We were going to make it safe. So you can just take a picture of yourself and literally just make yourself into like a Pixar character. That's what it looks like. So that's really fun. My brother texted me, I put my picture that I made of my newsletter this morning. First thing. I woke up to my brother said, oh, I'm glad I had to see this first thing this morning. I was like, what, you didn't like it? I thought it was pretty cool. Jen Moji this is another feature. So this is the ability to make any emoji. So you know how you're texting with someone and you think to yourself, Ah, it'd be great if I had an emoji of a a jet squirrel riding a jet ski. Well, you probably never thought about that, but now you can. And so you can generate any emoji you want. They call them gen moojis. So to get to this, just go to your keyboard on the iPhone after you have the update and tap the emoji icon in the lower left hand corner and you'll see a new search field at the top that says describe an emoji, and you can just type in anything. And you know, obviously there's some guardrails on this, so go ahead test it out, see what the limits are. But it will generate an emoji for you on the fly, and if you swipe, it'll just keep generating new versions of it. So I did a cactus lollipop or a lollipop cactus, whatever you want to call it and you know it kind of like didn't really get it, but it kind of did, so I just kept swiping through. So that's fun. You're gonna see a lot more emojis in your conversations that are kind of random. Then the writing tools on the iPhone now integrate chat GBT. So the big difference here is that the writing tools used to be sort of canned. You can highlight some text on the iPhone. You could bring up writing tools and a little kind of like swiper selector up there when you select text. And now there's a new option when you select writing tools, it says describe your change. It used to be you could just like bullet point it, summarize it whatever you want like that. Like these canned responses, Now you can say, elaborate this in Shakespearean and it will change your text to do that. And that's also going to draw upon chat gibt if it needs to. And so the other side of this is that Siri now has chat GBT, So if Siri doesn't know the answer to your question, it will ask chat gibt for that answer. Now, of course you're in charge of this. It will say the first time you try it and say, hey, can I ask chat GBT for that answer? You can say yes or no, and then you can actually go into your settings and turn off the asking. So if you just always want it to go to chat GBT when it needs to, you can turn that feature off. That's something Apple didn't announce in the original keynote, but it's nice to see that that's there because so many of us are used to chat GBT at this point, and if you have a subscription to chat gbt, you could actually put that in on your settings so that you don't go over any sort of limits and you get some more advanced features as well. So check that out. Under Siri, it's called Apple Intelligence. You can add your account. And the other neat thing is that it's not just chat GBT. You can see they've set this up to accommodate almost any AI that wants to work with Apple in the future, so it's like you can see it says AI extensions in the settings under Siri, so you can understand a world where Gemini will be an option, Claude will be an option, Mistroll will be an option, Perplexity will be an option. But I think they have to craft their app to work with iPhone in a certain safe manner that it will work in that selection. So that's kind of cool as well. Let's see Visual Intelligence now. This is basically Apple's version of Google Lens, and this is exclude to the iPhone sixteen models that have that new camera control button on the side. If you press and hold that, you can take a picture of an object or a building or whatever, and it will give you information about that and it will use chat GBT to search, or it will use Google to search the image. So it's now pretty much Google Lens built into the iPhone. The other new feature is called image wand, and this is inside notes, so if you craft a new note, you can use your handwriting. This would be handy on the iPad. You can write down your notes and then you select this image wand tool down at the bottom, and the pallette of tools you circle what you want to change, and if it's a drawing, it will make your drawing into whatever you think it is. Like if you draw a house and say, oh, that's a house, it will literally make it into like the best looking house ever. Or it will change your handwriting into text. So those are the new features. The other thing is that. And Kim talked about this. She said, Hey, are you gonna mention the photos app? Yeah, Apple really messed up the photos app and the first version of iol Us eighteen Apparently they've cleaned it up a little bit. In iOS eighteen point two, it was really tough to find things. But my advice is open up the photos app, scroll all the way to the bottom. You'll see an option that says customize and reorder and get rid of almost everything except the things that you want to see, which for me is basically nothing except my recents, my favorites, and you know the pictures that I have. All Right there you have it. iOS eighteen point two available for the iPhone, fifteen Pro models and up, plus some iPads with the M chip and other Apple devices. Eight to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. My name is rich Damuro and you are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. This week's music done by my friend Diana in the music industry works in the music industry for many, many years, and I'm learning her taste, learning her tastes in music. Mellow but classic, but also aclectic. Okay, So I mentioned a lot of stuff in the beginning of the show website for the show rich on tech dot TV. If you want links to anything I mentioned, it's always there on the website rich on tech dot tv show notes by hitting the light bulb icon, or you can just go to the website. This is episode number one oh one right on the homepage there. So I mentioned that you can now chat with Santa in chat GPT. This is a limited time only. This is really cool, probably one of the best Santa chats I've ever experienced because it's smart and it sounds like Santa. So this is one of Santa's helpers. Obviously for the kids, you know, but if you want to access this, I think it'll be really fun to do with the kids. Go to chat EBT on the home screen and in the upper right hand corner you'll see a new chat. You tap that, and then once you get into that, you want to press the voice button, and so that's in the lower right hand corner, I know, kind of crazy. And then once you're there, you have to select the Santa voice, so it looks like the settings up in the upper right hand corner again, and you just swipe, you know, where you select your voice for chat GBT, you'll see a new one called Santa. So once you're there, you can chat with Santa. So let's bring them up. Hey, Santa, how are you doing today?
Speaker 2: I'm feeling merry and bright as always. How about you, my friend?
Speaker 1: I'm doing I'm doing great, just doing the rich on Tech radio show. Do you like that show?
Speaker 2: That sounds wonderful. It's always nice to tune into something that brings joy and information. I hope your show goes splendidly.
Speaker 1: Can you tune it in at the North Pole or what?
Speaker 2: The North Pole is quite magical, you know, we have our own ways of keeping up with all the wonderful things happening around the world. So in a way, yes, all.
Speaker 1: Right, I think I think he's dodging some of my questions there, But anyway, you get the idea. Now, if you're on the iPhone, you can actually save a chat that you have with Santa and share it, so you can there's a little share icon in the upper right hand corner and if you had a fun conversation with Santa, or you want to record something for your kids, you can do that on the iPhone on iOS. So kind of cool. Anyway, Neat Neat feature available seasonally and Chatchy BT. I you know, I've said in the past I used Claude, but I've sort of switched now to CHATCHYBT because they've added so many new features that it's gotten really really good. And in fact, they just added a new feature this morning that I've wanted for a while, and it's it's like these you can keep conversations onmost like pinned and so that's a really handy one. All right, eighty eight Rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Denis in Pasadena. Dennis, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 5: Hey, Rich, thank you. Here's my deal. I have an epsom Eco tank printer and I have an AT and T Internet Air Modem Wi Fi modem. When I want to print something, I turn them on my printer. I see the little Wi Fi icon come up. That's good. I go into my iPad, I fix something I want to print. It says searching for air printer. Half the time it finds it, half the time it doesn't. And I don't see any pattern in that, so it's kind of a crapshew. I never know if it's going to find a printer or not.
Speaker 6: Any thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: Huh. Okay, So it does work, you know, it does work.
Speaker 5: Yes, it does work. Seems to be half maybe sixty seventy percent of the time.
Speaker 1: Hmm, okay, well that's true, not always. So I would say two things here. It's either your Wi Fi signal is not you know, one of them. One of them, the Wi Fi signal is not reaching. So that's that's what I think is the issue, because if it's happening to.
Speaker 5: The print I'm really close to the Wi Fi router, if that makes.
Speaker 1: Any difference the printer is or your iPad both they're.
Speaker 5: Both in the same room and they're like two feet away.
Speaker 1: And there's nothing that you notice that's uh, that's changed when you're when you're trying to print, like sometimes there's just no rhyme or reason to this.
Speaker 7: That's how I can see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, okay, so I would my I guess what I would do is probably update the software for everything, and make sure the software is updated on the printer, make sure the software is updated on this router. I'm surprised you're one of the very few people that has AT and T Internet Air because it's a it's tough to get because they're only putting it in places where they don't have a strong fiber presence or DSL presence. I don't even know if they do DSL anymore, but fiber at least. So I think that I would update the software on those things, then the iPad, and then I would what I would do is disconnect both the iPad from your WiFi and the printer from your WiFi and reconnect both of those things. Have you tried doing that?
Speaker 5: Just just safe forget?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, safe forget and and and do those things. That is that is probably your best your best bet with that situation because it's it's frustrating, but it's like there's not a way to reproduce it. You know. I would say, if you had like your microwave going or something and it was like, you know, messing with the signal in your house, sure, but if there's no rhyme or reason, that's pretty frustrating. The only other thing is your your printer might be in sort of a deep sleep mode. I've noticed at times with my printer when I go to print sometimes it's not necessarily showing up, and I'm like, and I'll go there and I'll tap the screen on the printer and it will come to life and then it will be there. So that's the only other thing I can think of. But those those are the things that I would do and reconnect everything and then see if it still happens. Eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Coming up, we're gonna talk about wireless roads that can charge vehicles. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Eight eight eight rich one o one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. H Jim writes in from Let's see Central of California Central Valley, says grew up in Fresno regularly experienced the fog it's pronounced two leaf fog. I remember driving on roads with no lines with the windows rolled down, looking at the side of the road for guidance. Looking forward through the windshield was absolutely worthless. Yeah, you don't realize how thick fog can be until you feel this. LG is no longer making Blu ray players. LG will stop making Blu ray players, leaving Panasonic as the last manufacturers making Blu ray players. So Samsung has gotten out of the physical Blu ray player, Sony has gotten out of it, and that's it. Everyone wants you to go digital. You know why, because you don't own the digital stuff. You are renting it basically physical media like Blu ray and DVDs. You can't even find him anymore. Last year, I went into best Buy and I was like, wait, what's different about this store? Oh yeah, the whole middle of the store had no Blu rays or CDs in there. So I know a lot of people sad about this, but not really because come on, let's be honest. You know you're streaming your stuff, or most of us are. But it was fun at one point in life to kind of have that collection of physical media. I gave up on it a long time ago, but I understand it's like that feels like it's yours versus you know all these other services you're just paying four monthly and you don't really own any of it. Times are changing, all right, Let's bring up Jared Schnader. He is a senior bus director at cal Start. Jared, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Thanks Rich, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So saw the story about this, I guess over in Westwood. Here in Los Angeles, they are going to make a small stretch of the street electrified and then the buses are going to charge as they drive along this. So can you explain? This is California's first electric road charging system.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 9: So the way it works is that it's known as dynamic inductive charging. So if you think of your cell phone that you may just set down on an inductive charging pad where you just set on top and it's able to charge. It's regular static inductive charging is where a vehicle comes over a pad and it just charges.
Speaker 8: It sits there and charges.
Speaker 9: Dynamic is where you're actually in motion and the vehicle is charging while it's driving over this system.
Speaker 8: So, yeah, first one in California.
Speaker 9: It's actually it's a really exciting project that we're going to be working on here.
Speaker 1: So how long is this street? Number one? Have you done this in other places yet?
Speaker 8: So this has been done across the world.
Speaker 9: Specifically in Europe, there are a number of roads that are electrified. The technology is still in kind of a nascent stage because you are having to pull up a road or pull up parts of a road install coils in it.
Speaker 8: For the dynamic part of it.
Speaker 9: Inductive charging has been done for years in terms of just the static sitting over top of a pad and vehicles charging. This has been done for a very long time, so nothing's really new about that. I think what we're actually seeing now and what makes this really exciting, is that we're changing the way that we're thinking about charging currently. You would have anyone that's seen an electric vehicle will know the pull up to a charger, you plug it in. I think the national average right now is about twenty five percent of those are down at any given time, whether that's for hardware malfunctions or software malfunctions. We're getting better at that year after year. These are improving. However, when you think about the number of vehicles that are out there and putting one charger, you know, kind of a one to one in the charger space, it doesn't really make much sense. When you're looking at something like long roadways, it's an opportunity for vehicles to be able to charge wilid motion instead of having to stop and charge back up. And again, when you think about this kind of linear progression of if your battery is one hundred percent full and you just start driving it, you know, as as you're driving along, it reduces the amount of energy within that battery, but it's not going back up.
Speaker 8: Really, when you start adding.
Speaker 9: In something like a dynamic inductive charging system, while you are still reducing the amount of power within the battery, it's also charging back up, so it's not a run down to twenty percent then go back up to eighty percent. I have to explain this to people all the time because they say, well, if you're driving, how long does it take to get from twenty percent of your battery life or your battery up to eighty percent. We have to think about the way that we do charging differently instead of thinking about, you know, twenty percent up to eighty percent. Look at from the flip side, if your battery is eighty percent charged and goes down to seventy percent, then it comes up to seventy two percent, then goes down to sixty five percent and up to call it sixty eight percent.
Speaker 8: Whatever it is.
Speaker 9: As it's driving along, it's extending the amount of range that you have. But also when you do come back to either your if you're at a fleet, like coming back to your lot or coming back to your home to charge up, you're not having to charge from you know, essentially a dead battery all the way up. The amount of energy that you're requiring is so much smaller because you've been able to charge throughout the day in these small increments.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it interesting? So and I know you know with my phone, obviously plug in chargings the fastest wireless chargings a little bit slower, but I imagine dynamic wireless charging has got to be a bit slower than sort of steady or static charging, is correct?
Speaker 9: Yeah, no, absolutely, it's not. This it solves everything kind of technology. What does is it helps enable the deployment on larger scale of vehicles because the way that the dynamic inductive charging is set up, it can be utilized in multiple vehicle classes. So when you're looking at kind of a heavy duty vehicle, or think about your iPhone. Let's just if you have an iPhone or an Android, you're charging plugs may be different when you're looking at charging for your car versus a bus. Those are different chargers, those are different connectors, different powers. However, with something like the inductive charging systems, we're talking about things that can now be utilized across all vehicle classes, so you can actually share the infrastructure. So instead of having to say, I've got one charger for this one bus, it can be a roadway that can be utilized for everyone driving up and down it if they have the rest receivers that are installed on the vehicle to be able to utilize the inductive charging.
Speaker 1: And do we know how long like this road is? Is it like a couple of miles or is it like a portion of a mile like what.
Speaker 9: This first one I believe is going to be just over a quarter of a mile I believe, But again we're talking about pilots here. We also have another one up in Detroit that we're working on, in another one in upstate New York that we're doing to show the technology and what it can do.
Speaker 8: The one at UCLA.
Speaker 9: One of the really exciting parts about this is not just the fact that it'll be utilized for the Olympics, for the Olympic Village but also that where it's located, there are seven other transit agencies that are coming in and laying over there. And the goal is that once this is proven out with the UCLA, these other seven agencies are going to be utilizing that same area. We would love to get them to kind of join in and say, yeah, we'd love to put some receivers on here to charge our vehicles while we're driving up and down.
Speaker 8: It's a way to expand the technology you into other transit agencies.
Speaker 1: Now, what about the safety of this, Like can I walk on this road?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Across? Am I going to be like blowing green? After I get across the road?
Speaker 8: If you're glowing green, it's not from the inductive charging?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 8: But no, no, it is safe. This is like I said, this.
Speaker 1: Is metal shoes, Like what if there's metal in that? I mean, is there any way you could What if I put my phone on the ground and it's you know, an iPhone that has like the wireless charging, is it going to charge that?
Speaker 8: Great question?
Speaker 9: No, these are all because it's all bluetooth Like. There has to be an actual way to communicate between the the receiver and the charger itself to activate it can people have so uh, any look, let's be very honest.
Speaker 8: Anything could be hacked.
Speaker 9: But this the way that is set up is that it's it is like secure from a like the security envelope is much stronger than you would have from a traditional charger that you would have, but like you know, anything can be hacked.
Speaker 8: So I don't want to sit.
Speaker 9: Here and say it's one hundred percent like no one can ever do anything because any of your's asking for people to try something.
Speaker 8: But no, I mean, this is a very safe system.
Speaker 9: And it is like I said, it's a secure system for the infrastructure because they have to.
Speaker 1: Be wow, and so this is going to be when are they going to start this project? And what about that? Isn't there one already in Detroit? So did you work on that one or yes?
Speaker 9: Yeah we're yeah, so cal Start we are doing the data collection for the Detroit project, but the bus the bus system has not started yet, so we haven't been able to start collecting data on that one. The one for UCLA, which we'll be doing data collection on that as well. We're just to back up real quick. Cal Start is a nonprofit. We are the ones that kind of step in in a lot of these technologies to validate them, because you need a neutral third party to say whether or not something works, because our whole goal is to drive down emissions and decarbonized transportation across the country, and so we need technologies that work. So we are an honest broker when it comes to the information because the whatever we say, if it works or doesn't work, we're going to let people know about it. That said, with UCLA, one of the I guess one of our big challenges that we're going to be facing is not so much the technology but the construction because you do have to pull up parts of a road to install this. This is not a very a very heavily built out system. It's just coils within the road. Can be done in any kind of normal maintenance that may be done on the road anyway, because you know, we're always repairing asphalt, and so when we're pulling up certain parts, the coils can be installed and then asphalt go back over top of them. So this has a lot of potential and it's a really exciting thing to see, especially the fact that we're going to be utilizing this. I said, with seven agencies, all kind of circling around this. It has the ability to really transform the way that charging is done in southern California.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Well, good luck with it. Jared Schnader of Calstart the website calstart dot org. I'll be looking forward to seeing how this develops over the next couple of years.
Speaker 8: Thanks sounds great, Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up YouTube TV. It's kind of sounding a lot like cable. They've hiked prices again, but there is a little hack that might work for you to save some money. I'll tell you about that coming up right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, Talking Technology eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Email is also an option, as is social media. Got a message on Instagram, let's see from Tatiana. She said, are you on Spotify? Yes? You can download the podcast on any of your favorite audio apps. Just search rich on Tech to get the podcast version of the show. It's on all of them. iHeart Spotify, Apple Podcasts. I even founded on the serious XM app. I was surprised they just added that to test I saw searching around and sure enough we're on there as well. So lots of ways to listen. Let's go to Jamie in Tampa. Jamie, you're on with rich.
Speaker 11: On today.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm doing great, how about you?
Speaker 11: Better than I deserve?
Speaker 12: Man?
Speaker 11: And during this hot.
Speaker 1: Florid of weather, Oh wow, hot there, it's actually cold in LA, which is ironic.
Speaker 11: Right, So so we've all heard of inflation, right, sure, christ Tree inflation. That's what I'm battling, right it, because yeah, TV went up, went up, went up again, and uh and and just the thought of having dependent the boat makes me just want to pull my hair out. But since I don't really have much hair right now because it gets cut every month, I usually just screen, I hear you, So, so yeah, it keeps going up. And then the Disney Plus and because I'm tired of all the password crackdown and every it's like every week it's going up. Whatever service today, whether it's on demand or live TV, there's got to be something I can do, and I need some help because if I get I'm because I have a friend that sad, he's so much is going back to cables. But have been what he's doing now with big YouTube TV and Hulu and all this other stuff because he can't take it anymore. It neither can I.
Speaker 5: On Besty Kid, No, I hear you.
Speaker 1: I A yeah. So here's what's happening. So you've got a couple of things going on. So you've got uh, you've got YouTube TV raised prices this week, which you know, sent a lot of people into the tailspin of saying, you know what, I'm done with this. Because when YouTube TV started, I was there at the launch event. It was thirty five dollars a month. This was in twenty seventeen. Now, given back then, they did not have a lot of channels, they did not have a lot of sports. But you know, I'm not sure they had the I think they had unlimited VR back then. But you know, they they've been slowly but surely adding all the features and all the channels that you want. And now they have a lot of channels, they have a lot of sports, they have DVRs, they have four K, but they have offline where you can download stuff, so they give you a lot, but the price just keeps going up. So thirty five dollars in twenty seventeen last week it was seventy three dollars. Now it is eighty three dollars, effective immediately for new subscribers existing customers starting January thirteenth. So what do you do if you're a subscriber like myself. First off, Jamie, you got to try the subscription cancelation hack. So if you go to my Instagram at richon Tech, basically if you go to cancel your account, they might give you sixty dollars off the next six months, So ten dollars off each month for the next six months, which doesn't save you any money. It actually just fends off this price increase for the next six months. That gives you some time to breathe, some time to think about it, and some time to say, Okay, nothing's changed, but let me just see what I can do, what my options are now. Meanwhile, let me grab this. You've got other companies like Spec smells the Blood in the water, right, So Spectrum, of course perfectly timed press release says we are now including Max and Max. If you are following the streaming stuff. That's like basically it used to be called HBO Max. Now it's just Max. It's all the stuff from HBO, Warner Brothers, DC, all the different You know, they've got a whole bunch of stuff mixed in from Warner Brothers IP into this service. So now, if you're a Spectrum TV Select customer, you can get Max with ads for free, and that's usually ten dollars a month. Now, they include a whole bunch of streaming services with your Spectrum TV Select. So they include Disney Plus, ESPN Plus, Paramount Plus, and a couple others including Max, all included in your monthly fee. Now, I don't know how much Spectrum TV Select monthly is, but you know, it's probably about the same price as the YouTube TV, maybe a little bit more or less. I'm not sure, because you know, you got to go on their website and pray it all out. Now, here's the difference. The reason why we have switched to services like YouTube TV and Hulu Live tv is because, guess what. Signing up for Spectrum TV is very easy. It's when you want to change your cancel, it's not going to be so easy. They're probably going to make you talk to a representative. It's probably not self service. It's probably gonna be a little trickier because they have those retention tactics. And so that's the reason why we like these streaming services in the first place, because they put the customer in charge. When Netflix sends a price increase to you, what do they do. They don't say, please call our customer service hotline and we'll help you out and we'll maybe give you a better deal. They say, here's the cancelation link, go ahead, cancel. What do we care. We've got, you know, two hundred and fifty million people subscribe to us. And by the way, we know that you're going to stick with us because it's twenty three dollars a month or fifteen or seven whatever you're paying, and it's probably a pretty good value. It's less than the price of one movie ticket. So what do you do, Jamie? You can go to this website called the Streamable, the streamable dot com slash matchmaker, And what live TV really comes down to is what channels do you want to watch and what sports teams do you want to watch. That's what really drives what people subscribe to. If you just want to watch the Hallmark channel, it's not going to cost that much because you can subscribe to Filo for twenty eight dollars a month. It's when you want to watch the Yankees or the Jets or the Rams or whatever team is in your area, or whatever team you follow, that's when it gets a little bit more expensive. And that's when you need one of these premium services. So if you go to the streamabol dot com slash matchmaker, I really like it because you type in the channels and the teams that you want to watch, and it will tell you the services that actually have those channels and those teams. And I'm telling you, if you're talking sports, not going to be cheap. The other thing to do is go back to an antenna. You can easily. A lot of people emailed me said, hey, Rich, I'm going back to antenna. I'm putting that on my roof, or I'm putting it inside, or I'm putting in your window. Antennasdirect dot com you can check them out. They can tell you which antenna might be working for your house. But I've got an antenna on my roof. I might go back to that. But the problem is getting the DVR service. You can use something like Tableau t a b l O that will record live TV. But you know TVO used to do it. That might still be around. I'm not even sure, but an Amazon used to have a device that would record live TV, but they've just continued that. So those are your options. You've got to pay up or get rid of some of these services. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your question, so give me a call. You can also go to the website rich on Tech dot tv hit contact if you want to get in touch that way, send me a message, or you can let's see what else can you do? You can just go there and sign up for the newsletter Why Not. You get more information about the things I talk about here and the notes on everything I mentioned, so let's see. I am fascinated with this story about the drones in New Jersey, not just because I'm from New Jersey, but because I just find it really hard to believe that these drones are flying in the skies above New Jersey and nobody knows what they are. Now, I've got all my family that lives there, and so I asked him on our group chat, I said, hey, have you seen these things? And they've all said yes. So how in the world are there just thousands of drone sightings and nobody knows what they are? The government doesn't know, the police don't know, the firefighters don't know. My sister said, she took dozens of pictures and nobody knows who they are. Saw not a passenger plane, saw a jet flying super low and slow. Well what is that? I mean, come on, wouldn't we be freaking out if we saw this? I mean, I will tell you when I go outside, and here's what I think could be happening. Like there's a heat map online of all the different sightings in New Jersey. What happens is that when one person sees something, suddenly a lot of people see stuff.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And I don't know about you, but nine times out of ten, when I see a plane in the sky, I'm like, Oh, that's a UFO, And then I'm like, wait, no it is, Oh that's Southwest. Sometimes they look like they're just slow and like hovering. But I'm all for it. I mean, I love stuff like this, Like it just reminds you of a movie. Right, Like we're like we are literally you know, we're not under attack, but we're just like under surveillance, and they're just like kind of testing the waters, coming in, seeing what's happening, seeing how we react, seeing how far they can go, how close they can get, and then you know, who knows what's gonna happen. But anyway, I am absolutely fascinated with this story. Now here's the funny thing. I've asked my family to send me the pictures they've taken of these things. Not one. No one sent me a picture or video, even though they've seen them so many times. So I don't know, draw your own conclusions there. Let's see, Mike and uh San Fernando. Mike, you're on with rich Hey, drones there in the y. I'm sorry, have you seen any UFOs or drones in the valley.
Speaker 10: Waiting for a night fall? Then I'll probably get a whole bunch of them there.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 10: I wish I called earlier when you had the gentleman on there discussing just dynamic charging, charging the vehicles while you're driving down a road via induction. Yeah, I have the pacemaker, and I'm supposed to stay away from anything magnetic electronic. I wear a harness that keeps myself on the right because all pocketed T shirts have it the pocket right over the heart. Yeah, would you happen to know anything, like if I'm coming up on one of these roads, pull off to the side, take a detour or whatever. Is it safe for the like me who have pacemakers.
Speaker 1: That's a great question. I would imagine that the folks who are creating these roads are thinking about that stuff. But I would also imagine that the magnets are probably pretty prevalent in these roads, because that's how this all works. I do know with the Apple stuff, you know, when they came out with the mag safe on the back of the iPhone, there was a lot of talk about pacemakers and the impact, and so I think there is a concern. I think that's some you know, I'm not an expert on this, but I think there is a level of like how strong the magnet is. I do know that myself and my photographer, we you know, shoot TV stories and we use these little wireless mics that have a really strong magnet on the back because they can just click it to your shirt. And I always uh ask people like, hey, do you have any medical like things we need to know about before we clip this thing too? Is it okay to put a magnet on your chest? Whatever? So it's something that I think that is prevalent in this kind of thought process. I don't have the answer for you, Mike, but I will ask the the guy we had on last Jared. I'll send him an email and see what he says about that.
Speaker 10: Now, that would be fantastic because I don't hear a but even at the airport, I don't recall seeing anything if you have a pacemaker or something like that, because I don't even think if you got wanded and you just have to do the old, good old fashioned at down, which is fine by me. Obviously you don't want to mess with a pacemaker with electronics or magnetics. And as you said, driving on a road to recharge a car, you probably have magnetics go lore and well they better set up detours before I hit that road, you know, or anyone like me?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I mean, well, what is what does your doctor say have they you know, when they put this thing in, do they say like, hey, be careful around this or that, or do they exactly.
Speaker 10: It was maybe a five minute conversation right after I came to from the surgery and all of that. No more magnetics, no more this. You can't, No, MRI, you cannot get wanded at the airport.
Speaker 7: You can't.
Speaker 10: Then I got it, and uh, well, where I work, it helps to have a pocketed T shirt. That's where I keep the cell phone, and it's like a thousand percent full pocket, and T shirts have the pocket over the heart. In fact, even some companies make a pacemaker friendly T shirt. All they do is shift the pocket to the other side. To me, that's still a little too close to the device. So I just wear a harness and keep the thing up to the side, and that's the best I can do.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 10: But the thing, the trend getting everything getting electronic and chargeable and chargeable on the go. I think that's fantastic, But you know, I got to see if it's safe for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, good question and good thing for them to think about as they keep things in mind. I've also heard, you know, the electric cars. I'm curious, like you know, that could be an issue too, so but I'm sure plenty of people have pacemakers that drive those as well. But always consideration with any of this kind of stuff, and a lot of it falls on you, I guess. I mean a lot of it just falls on the person that has whatever medical condition or whatever medical you know, procedure or instrument in their body. I guess it comes to them to like kind of be aware of this stuff. And like you said, with the wanding and things like that. But great question, Mike, and I will pass it along to Jarrett to see what he says about that. This is you know, we hear about AI so much Google This week. Google had a bunch of news this week. They had this really super fast computer chip and now they've got this new Gemini AI. So Gemini is Google's version of AI. And I've said this before, but Google is pretty much they are feeling the heat right now. Because I was thinking about this the other day because I've been using chatchibt now ever since they added the web search. It's really really good. Now it's not perfect, but it's still pretty good that you can now search the web with chatch ebt. But now, you know, so Google is definitely feeling the heat. So they have been I don't know if you've noticed, but Google's kind of been ramping things up, especially in the AI department. They've been working on AI for a very long time, but now they seem to have new products all the time with their AI. So this new one this week is called deep Research, and this is basically an AI powered tool that will perform web based research for you and create a report. And I watched this thing work. The idea is that the AI can control your Internet and just go and browse the Internet for you and create a report. So, for instance, I asked it to make me a report on a topic and let's see if I can find it. I made like a So you have to go You have to be paying for this, by the way, so you have to go into it's called Deep Research. You go into Gemini Advance with Deep Research, and you can say, draft me a report on the prevalence of UFOs over the past decade in the US, and it will literally go on to the internet search all these different sites and it will show you what it's doing. So I have to press start research. So it's going to say, okay, find reports from reputable news organizations and scientific journals, find data and statistics, and it literally when I press start research, it shows me the internet as it's searching the internet. So it's going off on the web. And now this is AI searching the web and compiling all this information and then generating a report. And here it is. It's now it's going to YouTube. It went to History dot Com, went to some government websites, CIA, went to the BBC, went to the Pentagon's showing me all the websites that it is visiting right now, Reddit map of UFO sightings around the world. And then once it does all this, so it says researching thirty one websites. It's going to collect all that information and then draft a report that I can put into Google Docs. I mean, this is what we did in school. And by the way, all the sites, you know, they put that little you know, you have to cite all your stuff at the bottom of the report, like where do you get this info? It will put all that in there as well, so now AI can do your research for you. Now, my kids struggle with this stuff because you know, they're in school and they've got to do all kinds of stuff, and they're like, Dad, do you think it's okay if I use AI for this, Dad, Do you think it's okay? If I proofread with AI, I say go for it. Because AI is now rst lne. You ever watch Wheel of Fortune? What are the first letters people choose? Rst Lene. It's the table stakes and everything, every puzzle that they solve Wheel of Fortune gives that to you now, and so now it's like that's a given, you're gonna get those letters. Everyone in the world has access to AI now, so you have to move beyond that, and you have to use that to your advantage. So if you're scared of AI, you're intimidated by it, you're not using it. You think you're better than it, you think that you shouldn't be using it because it's cheating all. Throw all that out the window. Everyone is using it, Everyone is using it, Everyone has it as a tool. So if you're not using it, you're actually put at a disadvantage. If you're sitting here trying to come up with this UFO report on your own, Sure you can do that, and I understand at the base level you should know how to do that. But then once you know how, you can let these tools do it, and you have to build upon that eyda to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four to one zero one. The website rich on Tech dot tv. If you're right back, welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. I'm active on Instagram, I'm active on Facebook and X Trying to get into the blue sky thing. It's proving to be a little tough because it's kind of boring right now. I'll be honest, There's there's not a lot going on in there, but you know it's growing, so we'll see. Let's go to Jimmy in Los Angeles. Jimmy, you're on with rich.
Speaker 3: Jimmy.
Speaker 8: Hey, Hey, how you doing.
Speaker 12: Hey? My name is Jimmy Day. And sometimes when I'm talking on a cell phone like i'm talking now, I run into a few the podcasts or videos on woodworking and metallurgy metal working, and what I want to know is how can I transfer those to my desktop video, I mean desktop computer.
Speaker 1: So the podcasts or the videos.
Speaker 12: That I'm looking at on my cell phone. How can I transfer that to my desktop computer?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 1: The videos okay, so like on YouTube or what?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 12: Most of them are on YouTube somewhere on.
Speaker 10: Google.
Speaker 1: Okay, well typically, so I mean you probably want to access them. There are various third party tools that can download videos. Many of them operate in sort of a gray area. But there is a website called Cobalt Tools c O B A L T dot Tools, and that will let you pretty much download a video from almost any website including Blue Sky, daily Motion, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Reddit, Snapchat, YouTube, I mean pretty much everything, Twitter, TikTok x, whatever it is, Vimeo. So if you paste the link into that website, it will generate a download. And so it's called Cobalt Tools co O B A L T dot Tools. Now, the tool is not illegal in any way. I mean you could, you know, you can use this to download your own videos or whatever. It's it's depends on sort of the copyright of the video and the gray area that it's operating in when it comes to what you're downloading. So you have to you know, go by that with what you're you know, if you're just using it for your own personal stuff, you know, you got to figure out what the rules and regulations are around that. But that's the best way to do it. Cobalt Tools, uh, and it's Cobalt dot Tools. And this is a really really handy website. You can do video, you can do audio, and like I said, it works with almost every major video and audio website out there. So pretty simple, pretty easy. That's what I would recommend. Jimmy, Thanks for the call, appreciate it. Eighty eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Talking earlier about the price increases on YouTube TV, Danny writes in from Charlotte, North Carolina. I said, Hey, Rich, I have I used TVO and have for over twenty three years. Still works for me. I have a four tuner model and yes, sometimes record over the air four channels at the same time. There you go, Danny, and Charlotte says that TVO still works. Michael in Sherman Oaks says Ota DVR lives. Hey Rich alone with Tableau, whose fourth generation products are a great way to DVR over the air. TVO still does have their Bolt models or even better, Zapperbox has an over the air DVR that not only records regular TV, but also the new ATSC three point zero next gen broadcasts. That's uh yeah, that's like a whole new thing. Hasn't taken off as much as I'm sure the broadcasters have wanted, but I also haven't really seen it promoted as much. But yes, the next gen broadcast, A lot of the channels are broadcasting in this new format that uh, I guess has more data with the show. So it's it allows you to do some different things, you know, like almost like interactive TV, where they can see if you're watching, they know if you've seen an AD. It's kind of like a two way thing versus just you know, broadcast, which is just one way. So the broadcasters like that. But and then I saw some of these boxes at CES that take in the signal, and yes, a lot of them have DVRs built in. But also I think that the broadcasters can control that as well, like they can decide if they want you to be able to DVR or not. Don't quote me on that, but I think that's what they were saying. But if you want to learn about ats C three point oh, I think let's see what's what's the website at s C three point h uh. I thought it was like next gen TV dot com or something, but it's at sc dot org. That's the Broadcast Standards Association, so you can check that out. Let's see here. Let's go to Jerry Jerry and Palace Verdes. Jerry, you're on with Rich Hi.
Speaker 7: Uh I thowt the tenth generation ipada, you know, on Black Friday, and for some reason, the I download the countour which is the Cox cable ad, and the iPad doesn't allow me to use that for some reason. You any news for that?
Speaker 1: Does? It lets you down it lets you download it, but it doesn't let.
Speaker 14: You use it.
Speaker 7: I downloaded, but it doesn't work well.
Speaker 3: I it real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking.
Speaker 7: At I called it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I called a cable company. They wanted ten dollars per month, and I say, you Daniel alternative. They told me you have to talk to a hebh. That's strange.
Speaker 1: Okay. So they want ten dollars a month to to to add this feature to your to your service. Okay, yeah, because it looks like it works on oh you know what, it doesn't say anything about Oh it does say iPhone okay, so it says iPhone and iPad iOS fourteen or higher. But it looks like I'd have to look at this, but I have to see if you if you need to pay extra to use this, I'll look at this and then talk about it on the way back from the break. Coming up, we're going to talk about deep fakes right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Phone lines are open eighty eight rich one one eight eight eight seven four four one zero one. My friend Diana did the music for this week's show, keeping things mellow, like real mellow like I usually am doing, like you know, I'm usually choosing like the you know, mood booster stuff, but this is mellow. Before the break, we had Jerry and Palas Verdes ask about Contour, this app for cocks. It looks like the app is free, but depending on what you can do, you know, depending on your your subscription through COS that determines what you can do on this app. So you might be able to download it to your iPad, but depending on what you have on your subscription, that determines if you can watch live TV or stream or manage your DVR. So it all depends and that's sort of like, you know what I was talking about earlier with the whole cable thing. You know, it's like it gets confusing because it's all about the package that you subscribe to. So that's probably why you're having issues with that on your iPad. All right, Joining me now, Perry Carpenter, cybersecurity expert, has a new book called Fake, A Practical Guide to Living in a World of Deep Fakes, different disinformation, and AI generated deceptions. Perry, thanks for joining me, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: So what was the reason for writing the book? What trend did you see happening that you figured people needed to know more about.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the trend is fairly obvious. Over the past two plus years, there's been a huge surge and AI generated stuff out there because of this whole field of generative AI, which is what chat, GPT and all the image generation technologies and video generation technologies that we're seeing falls under and that was creating a lot of questions, confusion, and then also excitement about what the future is. And the book was all around really giving people the right terminology to be able to talk about it, helping them understand what the opportunities are, what the dangers are, how it's going to be taken advantage of and is being taken advantage of by cyber criminals and disinformation artists, and then how to fortify our minds to deal with the new reality that we're all stepping into.
Speaker 1: So give me an example of what these people are doing with AI to trick us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean the examples are many. So when you think about deep fakes that gets in this area that we call synthetic media, which is just computer generated media and by media that could be text. So if you've used chat, GPT, that's an example. Images things like Dolly and mid Journey and Stable Diffusion or programs that people are fairly aware of there, and then video and voice and of course in election cycles what we've been like what we have been in there was a lot of that for political purposes, and then in just well generally having fun and being on the Internet. There's lots of examples of that. But if we flash back to something that's a little bit old news right now. During the primary season for this presidential election, in the New Hampshire primary, somebody created a deep fake audio of Joe Biden's voice and put that on a robocall circuit to call people around and say, you don't need to go out and vote in the primary today, And.
Speaker 1: We talked about that story. I totally remember that, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and the voice was pretty good. It's not the best version of that that I have heard. But the thing that makes this an interesting example is that every deep fake, when it's intended for something other than fun, every deep fake, every bit of disinformation, every scam is after either two things or both money or mimes. And in this what they were after really is making people who would have voted for Joe Biden in the primary sit out. And we would immediately think, well, that that means that's a Republican challenger that was doing that. That was you know, somebody on the other side was doing that. Turns out it was actually another Democrat, but it was somebody that was on that party that was trying to challenge Joe Biden in the primary because they wanted their name on the ticket. So the thing that makes that really interesting to me is that there's, you know, that multifaceted aspect and trying to understand the motivations of the people that create these these bits of disinformation, propaganda, or just scam material.
Speaker 1: So I guess it depends on so the the products themselves, Like a deep fake is not necessarily illegal, but I guess it's how it's done or what it's used for, because I know we've seen stories about you know, teenagers in high schools are making deep fakes, usually sexually explicit deep fakes of fellow students, and that's obviously a used to is not good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's uh, I mean every people think of yeah, they should because at that point, you're you're defaming people, you're also creating a fraud, You're I mean, there's so many things that are wrapped into that. But it's like any technology, any technology can be used for good or bad. And what I say over and over and over in the book is that every tool wields, every tool will mold to the hand and intention of the person who's picking it up. And deep fake technology, uh is like that. When when you look at what this country and the world is trying to deal with right now, it is the fact that there is that dual nature and we can create really interesting, good, productive, creative uses for AI technology that will their humanity and help people thrive. At the same time, it can become a cudgel, it can become a weapon, it can become a tool of disinformation or a tool that scam artists go to. And so when you look at the ability to curtail that darker use of it, that's what people are really struggling with. And in California, of course, there were a couple of bills that were passed prior to the to the election, and what those bills were really trying to struggle with is that dual use. They were trying to protect things like you know, good use and parity and even you know, the cynical, sarcastic use of these for political commentary, while at the same time recognizing the fact that people would weaponize deep fake technology to try to trick people and what they came to, which I think is a good start, but it's not all the way. There is that for social media platforms that are over a certain revenue threshold and have a certain user account, if they are alerted to or discover a use of the technology. You know, a piece of deep fake technology like a video or audio clip or an image, if it is if its purpose is intended to deceive. They have seventy two hours to take it down, So I call that.
Speaker 8: A good start.
Speaker 6: Their their hearts are are in the right place, but seventy two hours is an entire news cycle, and people will make actions and build belief systems based on that way before the chance to take it down ever rolls around. So it's a good start. But more than anything, it points into the direction of the fact that this is something we're going to wrestle with well.
Speaker 1: And as a journalist, you know, I've been a journalist for many, many years, and it used to be that people would turn to folks like myself for like, you know, vetted information, and I would post something on my Facebook and people would know, like, oh, that's rich and you know, he works for a major news outlet and obviously he's posting stuff that's real. But then I saw in the past couple of years people questioning even stuff that I'm posting, you know, is this real? Is this are you for real here? Which is just wild because that's now everything, you know, Like when I'm scrolling on social media, the first thing that comes to mind with every single video or image I see is is this real? And so how are we going, and I know they've got like water marks and all this a but there's always going to be ways around these things. So what is kind of the bottom line here is that are we kind of like we have to understand what to look out for.
Speaker 6: I think you're onto it, So I'm really glad you said that even though there's watermarks and other technologies, there's always ways around it, because there are, and those will be effective a percentage of the time, but we can't count on those. And so what I really advocate for is just this idea of cognitive security, And that's the mental piece of this, because technology, as good as it is, is never going to protect us from these things. They will slip into our social media feed they will get into our inbox, they will get into our text messages and so on. Because the people that are out there using these creating weaponized information with them, they're persistent and so it will get to us and they're not playing.
Speaker 3: By the rules.
Speaker 6: No, not exactly. So even when open AI or anybody else develops really good robust water marking, somebody will just use a different tool set that doesn't have that, or they'll find the way around, and then they'll weaponize that information, so we cannot rely on that, and I think we do a disservice to the population when we say, oh, you'll always be able to tell that something's a deep fake because of X, Y and Z. Instead, like you, I am directionally pushed people towards asking critical questions like why did this piece of media land in front of me? What story is it trying to tell? What emotion is it trying to invoke? And then ultimately what does it want me to do or believe? And when I ask those critical questions, for me, it doesn't matter if the thing that landed in front of me is real or fake. It starts to unpack the broader implications of it, because we were moving into a world where a lot of what we see will be fake for some of that for legitimate reasons, just because the tools exist, and so being able to tell whether it's synthetically created or not is going to be marginally important, but not really the be all, end all tell that we need to be looking out for. We need to understand the narrative and the intention.
Speaker 1: And I imagine, Perry, We're going to leave it there, but I imagine that there will be degrees in this stuff and how to tell you know, be an expert in deep fakes and how to tell this stuff is really or not?
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: The book is called fake f a Ik. The website this book is fake faik dot com. Perry Carpenter, thanks so much for joining me.
Speaker 6: Thank you eight eight eight.
Speaker 1: Rich one O one. We'll get to those phone lines coming up right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one hop on. If you want to get on the air here and ask a question, you can also go to the website rich on tech dot tv. Hit contact and uh you can get in touch that way. And if I mentioned something on the air that you want to get more information about, just go to the website rich on tech dot tv. Hit the show notes. That is the icon up at the top. It looks like a light bulb. Or you can just look for a show one O one and you'll see a nice list of everything that I mentioned here.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Diana and Torrance has some feedback on the coxsapp. Diana, what's up?
Speaker 10: Hi, Rich?
Speaker 14: I was just calling in to give you my two cents based on my experience with that cocks app that your caller that you just from Palisferti contour, Yes, I I use, I downloaded and I used that app all the time on iPhones and an iPad airs. The iPad air I used is like a couple of years old. I know he mentioned he has a tenth generation iPad that he got from Black Friday. But so what I would say is my parents have the Cox table. They live in Palisberti's and I think he just needs to make sure that whatever his table subscription includes, the you know, allowed him to do the streaming.
Speaker 6: From that app.
Speaker 1: I think that's the main thing, is that because I was looking at you know, the environments is really iOS fourteen it says, which is like three, you know, four years old. So his iPad definitely runs that the tenth generation does. But I think what it comes down to is, like you said, what can you do with the subscription you have? You know you can't just like you can't just download this and expect it to work if you're I don't know if on a basic subscription or don't even subscribe to Cox, but how much are you pay in a month? For them, and what do you have to pay extra for this contour apples?
Speaker 15: Oh you know what?
Speaker 14: That I don't know for sure because it's my parents subscription and I don't have the breakdown, but I go there frequently and I kind of administer their stuff. So I'll have to take a look and see if that's like a I thought it was just included.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you're yeah, I.
Speaker 14: Don't know if it's a separate item that you have to subscribe to.
Speaker 1: It's tough to get the information on their website. I'm looking at the Uh. The website doesn't really say like if you have to pay extra for it or if it's included. It doesn't say like it. Now here's the thing. Okay, So on the facts, it's says can I watch live TV out of home depending on your subscription. So it must be based on your subscription what you can do, because I've.
Speaker 14: Done that too, and I do watch the live TV when I'm at their house on their home network.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 14: I also stream at when I'm on the go and not on their home network.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so and there's probably different rules for that too, So it all just depends.
Speaker 6: But okay, but check into it.
Speaker 14: And if I find out anything, I'll send you an email or something.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, I appreciate it. My recorder on the ground there and tourans appreciate it today. Okay, thank you have a great one eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one. Let's see here we've got David in Whittier. David, you're on with Rich Hi, Rich, I am doing great. What can I help with?
Speaker 13: Well, I had a little problem here. I had a I bought a satellite link from Startlingk's. The minimum is like fifty gigs per month, and which should be fine, But what I'm trying to do is get or create a security system. I had it with the telephone when I had access to a telephone out there five hundred miles away. But I don't have that anymore. So I bought the satellite service, and I didn't think far enough ahead to figure out how I can get it to What I really needed to do is just send me a notification and then connect the camera or cameras so I can see what's going on without having the cameras online all the time. And because I'm limited to fifty gigs a month, which is a lot, but I guess you're going if the camera got turned on and was going twenty four to seven, that might overrun that.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends on the camera. So most of these security cameras, they're not streaming twenty four to seven. They might be monitoring twenty four to seven, but they're not necessarily sending everything to the cloud. And so it depends on the camera that you have. And so you can get some cameras that will just send. So there's a brand out there called Kangaroo Ka and Ga Roo and so these cameras, you know, they can send you a snapshot of what they're seeing and then if you need to, you can stream in. And so that's like just one example, but there's the other one is called Blink. Have you looked at those cameras from Amazon?
Speaker 13: Was that blink?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Blink?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 13: I haven't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So those cameras their whole thing, and Amazon I think paid like I don't know how much for this company, probably a billion dollars. But they their whole thing is that they invented a system where these phones are these these cameras last like a year on like two double A batteries, so they are certainly not streaming twenty four to seven, but they're monitoring twenty four to seven. If you have them connected to this star link, they will send you a snapshot of what they're seeing.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: I think that's where the term blink came from, right, and so they'll send you a snapshot and then if you need to, you can get more and stream from that camera. So that's what I would look for, And you know, there's a bunch of cameras that can do this. I would say even the ring cameras, like my ring cameras, are not streaming up to the cloud twenty four to seven. Only two of them are because they're certain like they're connected hardwired. But the rest of them, they mostly they'll see the movement and then they trigger recording. So you know, unless you're getting one of these big systems like a Swan system or something like that, most of them are not twenty four to seven recording. The nest cams are. You can have them set up that way, but it all depends on the camera. So David, what are you trying to monitor?
Speaker 13: Just just the premises, just a vacation home.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I mean I think I would check into the Blink cameras first. I would also check into the Wise cameras wy Ze, and you know, both of those cameras will do exactly what you're saying. And the Wise cameras have an SD card so they can record the whole time to that card if you put up a solar panel. But you'll get those notifications when they see motion. Eighty eight Rich one O one Rich on tech dot TV. Back after this Rich on tech Rich Tamiro here hanging out with you. We should have played this song after In our interview the deep fakes man Elvis was talking about deep fakes back in nineteen sixty eight when he wrote this, that's wild edge of reality. I mean, that's where we are in our world right with all this deep fake stuff. Welcome to the show. Welcome back. My name is Rich Jamiro. This is the show where we talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. I also answer your questions. Eighty eight Rich one O one is the phone number for the show. Eight eight eight seven four to four one zero one. If you want to get in touch on the website, it's Rich on tech dot TV. A couple of feedback items to get through before we get to our caller. Let's see. Charlie in Tahunga says, watching YouTube videos on my phone creates a history in my YouTube account, which enables me to find them easily on my Apple TV or desktop computer, much easier than downloading them as was recommended to the caller. Yes, but Charlie, I didn't you know he wanted a recommendation to download them, like I didn't you know. There's many ways to do this, to watch a video that you see on your phone on your computer or TV. But he specifically was asking for the download. But yes, you're right. I have often do that myself. I will just watch a video for a second on my phone just to get it in that YouTube history, and then go to my TV and I can watch it there easily. Steve writes in from Fairfax, you are the bomb. I just saved sixty dollars from your tip about starting to cancel YouTube TV to get a six month EXCEP. Thank you. Well, I'm happy to help, Steve. That's what I'm here for. I appreciate that I did it myself so I know it works. Darryl writes in, you can get a cheap converter box that also acts as a DVR. They're between twenty and forty dollars plus the cost of a thumb drive. They're available from Walmart and Amazon. The brands are Ematic and Medsnic. They record on they record HD on HD channels. I have two of them. Darryl Okay. Yeah, that must be like a converter box. Remember they were giving us out for free for a while because they wanted everyone to switch. Remember the big switch from analog to digital. Oh my gosh, but I think we made it through that. Let's go to Sandy in Huntington Beach. Sandy, you are on with rich Oh.
Speaker 15: I hope you can help me. I've got I just had to get a new phone. My other one pretty much died and I got an A thirty five. I just need the basics. I don't do anything financial. My other one was an A twenty one. It worked great. Never had a with that little guy. But this one, it's like, it took me forever to get into you. And then I was on hold and it disconnected, and it does it just goes blank. It goes blank, and then it disconnects. It hasn't done it on Bluetooth in my car but it does it in my house and out and about.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 15: So it's a new phone. I have to decide this week. Am I going to keep it and get my rebate or do I give it back? Is it an internal antenna?
Speaker 12: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, and I'm not.
Speaker 15: A checking person, but you're the wizard.
Speaker 1: I guess. I guess. The question is when it When this is happening, is the phone restarting or is it just dropping the call?
Speaker 15: It just robs the call, Okay, So I couldn't once. It did it when I was on with you, and it went away when I tried. When I called again, it said your phone is not connected to a network.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I couldn't.
Speaker 15: I couldn't call.
Speaker 1: Okay. It sounds like the antenna in this phone. What what service are you on?
Speaker 15: Uh Mobile?
Speaker 1: Okay, So it sounds like the service or the signal or the antenna on this phone is not as strong as the old one. That's what I'm thinking is happening here because you're using it in the same place, which is your house, but it's dropping the calls. So I think that it's the antenna and you might need to, you know, maybe think about getting rid of this phone. So here's the deal. I will tell you this because I know from Okay. So in my house over the over the well, this is the weekend. But over the week I had some work being done on my internet, and when that internet was being worked, one I didn't have Wi Fi for a while. And I'm not kidding. I tried to make a phone call from the place I make a phone call all the time, and my phone wouldn't work. It kept just saying, you know, disconnected signal note call failed whatever. I was like, that's so weird. I never realized that I have no signal in this room because I've been on Wi Fi calling the whole time. So a couple of things you can do. First off, you can try to reset your network settings. But who set up this phone for you? Is it T Mobile at the store?
Speaker 15: Costco, Kiosk Mobile ko Okay?
Speaker 1: So, I mean I'm sure they set it up properly. You could. The problem is if you reset your network settings, which you can do yourself in the settings, it's going to reset everything like you know, Bluetooth, Wi Fi, your cellular that, yeah, and then you have to set it all up again. You got to connect it your WiFi, it might be worth it just to see if that helps. The other thing is that you could use Wi Fi calling when you're in your house. So have you set up that feature on your phone?
Speaker 16: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay? And does that does that call drop when you have that on?
Speaker 15: My husband's here?
Speaker 7: So the Wi Fi the Wi Fi in the house is Spectrum okay, but the service for the phones is T Mobile.
Speaker 1: Right okay. So if you set up Wi Fi calling on your phone, and I don't think this is this is just a stop gap. I mean, you may have this problem forever. Does your husband have a Tea mobile in the house as well, and does his phone work? What phone does he have?
Speaker 15: He has an LG an old LG oh wow.
Speaker 1: Old LG okay, LG velvet Oh LG oh wow. The dulcet tones of the LG velvet look. I think it could be the antenna on this phone is just not pulling in the same signal that your old phone was. So I think it's.
Speaker 15: This model of phone for this particular phone.
Speaker 1: Well, it could be both. So what I would do first is I would just take it back to the Kiosk. I think it's since it's cost go they're going to be pretty accepting of it. Tell them what's happening. Say, look, you know, I used to have an old Samsung in a twenty one and this thing used to work in my house, no problem. Now I get the thirty five and it's worse, and I'm dropping calls left and right. And they may say, oh, you're the third person that's come back and told us this, or they may say okay, and you say, look, I want to swap out my phone for a new model, just to make sure it's not a hardware defect. Get the new model, see if it works. I know it's a pain because all your stuff is on this phone and everything, but you know, like you said, this is only a week old. You don't want to sit here and deal with this issue for the next couple of years. As you have this phone. Sounds like you keep your phone for a bit, So I would do that first. If you want to try the network settings reset, you can try that. And you can go into your settings and just search for network settings or just search for reset and you can look for that. That will not you know, you don't want to factory reset your phone because that will delete everything. But I would do that first. If it was me personally, I would do a network settings reset and then I would see if my phone works. If it doesn't, if it keeps dropping the calls, then I would take it back to the Kiosk, say hey, can we swap this out for a new hardware, And if that keeps dropping calls, then I would look into a different phone. But I will tell you you know, Sandy, I test every phone in the world, and they definitely, one hundred percent pull in different signals. Some phones have a greater signal than others, and it's just the way the phone is set up. It's just the way that the phone is created. So this phone may just pull in less of the T Mobile signal than your old phone. And that's just the reality of this device.
Speaker 6: Lovely.
Speaker 15: Another thing it does, and you were talking about AI earlier. When I with my other phone for texting, I could just talk, everything would come out perfect. This one it doesn't do that. It puts in its own punctuation, puts in its own words. It doesn't even come out what I've said. That is there a setting that can change that?
Speaker 1: There is. There's a couple settings. So it depends on the voice to text that you're using. Typically with Samsung, the default is Samsung's I like to change it to Google. So you can go ahead and download what's called g board g bo ar D. That's Google's keyboard, and that will use Google's own audio voice to text. You can also go into your settings on the Samsung and there are If you go to the keyboard settings, it says text to speech, says something like I don't have my Samsung in front of me, but it says something like text to speech driver or system and typically, well always, the default is Samsung.
Speaker 10: Turn off Google's AI.
Speaker 1: Well that's a little different. Turning off. Well, that's a whole other thing. Google is building the AI into all these devices that Google's AI s Okay, well that.
Speaker 15: Is right here when I'm talking to you, right above it. It has this little lift and it has it within a circle. It says text call. What does that have anything to.
Speaker 1: Do with it? I'm not really sure because I'm not sure what that what what that's saying on their screen right now for a text call. But but the bottom line is, look, I think that the Google Voice to text is going to be just fine if you switch that keyboard out. I think it's going to be much better to what you want. The Samsung one is fine, but I think Google's is better. The AI stuff, you know, you got to go into your settings and try to you know, turn some of that stuff off if you don't want that to toggle. But uh, you know, you might get used to some of that stuff as well. And and Android and Google well in general is you know, they're they're still figuring all this stuff out, so it's not you know, look, you've got a totally different phone. You've got a phone that's a little bit newer than your old phone, so there are going to be some changes. The other thing that I would do, Sandy, is make sure that your software is up to date on this device and see if that helps as well. But you can you can try toggling on the Wi Fi calling. If you're having issues with getting a signal in your home, or you're in a place where your signal is not that great, you could use Wi Fi calling to kind of paste that signal. What Wi Fi calling does is it routes the call. All calls these days, no matter what if you're making it over cellular or Wi Fi, they're all routed over the Internet. Your voice is changed into you know, a voice over IP, so it's not it's no longer analog. It's not taking that recording of your voice and sending it over the signal. It's actually just transforming it into little ones and o's and recompiling it at the other end, so you can go to Wi Fi calling. What Wi Fi calling does is it will transfer your call over your spectrum Internet, which is stronger than your T mobile signal. When you're out of your house, it'll still go T Mobile. When you're in your house, it'll go over the spectrum or your whatever your WiFi is. Eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. We'll be right back. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, the website rich on Tech dot TV. While you're there, sign up for my free newsletter. Thank you for enjoying that. I do enjoy the feedback I get from sending that out. Usually I send it out every Saturday morning, so thirty seven thousand of you getting it currently, that's been pretty pretty wild. Uh, if you want to submit your question, comments and more to the feedback, We're gonna get to that in just a little bit. Just go to Rich on tech dot TV hit contact and in this hour next segment, actually we're going to talk to Miami parents. They created an app called Firsties. This helps you capture, organize, and share your kids milestone moments. But first let's go to Mark in Woodland Hills. Mark, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 16: Yeah, good afternoon, Rich. This all came about because something a scam that was basically pulled on an in law. I guess she got into one of these dating sites or whatever. But it got me to thinking, there's sometimes I buy things online. I've never heard of the company before. I don't know if they're a scam artists, I don't know. I don't want my real credit card attached to anything that they may take advantage of like they did my in law.
Speaker 7: YEP.
Speaker 16: Is it possible to get like virtual cards that you can load up with money so that at least if that is attacked, it doesn't lead back to any of your financial institutions or whatever. I guess she got caught in one of these dating sites or something, and some fellow wanted her to send money to apply him to London, and I got a hold of her before she did it, and I thank god, I did you know?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is it's so it's so wild because we talk about this stuff all the time on this show and I hear these stories and I'm just like, who falls for this? But people do good people like everyday people, and it's happening all the time. So what you're talking about, Mark, is a virtual card number. So yes, and I think it's very smart. So a couple of things my wife and I, so I typically use a debit card. You know, I do have a credit card, but I most of the time use that when my card leaves my hand, right So if I am putting my card in on the internet, that's leaving my hand because it's out of my hands. So I will use a credit card for that. And then of course at restaurants and places where they take your card off site. But if I'm typically just using you know, tap to pay somewhere, Tap to pay protects your card number, I will use my debit card. But what you're talking about virtual card number, there's actually a great service which would really help in any situation. But it's called privacy dot com. And so privacy dot com, you sign up with this and you have to link your debit card or a bank account, I believe. But once you do that, you can generate cards one time use cards, or they can be reused, but you can control everything about them. So you can say, okay, let's say you're signed up for a free trial of something right and you know you're going to forget to cancel this free trial. You can go through and say, okay, here's my card for this free trial, and don't let it charge more than a dollar to this card. So they can do that authorization charge of one dollar. But then when they try to charge you ninety nine dollars, when you forget about that subscription in seven days, they will not be able to do that. That card number will not go through. So that's called privacy dot com. Now that's a whole other level of control. So you can say I only want this card to work for ten dollars a month, So if your subscription ever goes above ten dollars a month, it won't work. It'll the charge won't go through. So that is a service. Most of it is free. I think you get a certain amount. I've never paid for it, so I think that you get a certain amount of free usage per month, a certain amount of cards that you can generate. I'm sure that that's changed since I signed up. It's probably, you know, lesser than what I had when I signed up. It was you know, they probably gave much more back then, and I think it's like five whatever. I don't know what the point is, what the what the pricing is at this point, but that's how that works, and so you can really just control every aspect of your cards that you that you create on this website. I'm trying to see if they here we go pricing in plans. So for free, you can create up to twelve cards per month. For five dollars, you can create up to five dollars a month. Is up to twenty four cards a month, ten dollars a month, up to thirty six cards a month, and then twenty five dollars a month, up to sixty cards a month. I don't know what you're doing for sixty virtual cards a month, but okay, so that's privacy dot Com. Now there's another way you can do this mark And there's also what's called a virtual card number from your credit card company, and so Capital One I believe has the City Bank has them, Discover has them. I think the Apple card lets you do a virtual card number. Now that's a little different because I don't think it gives you the same level of control, Like I don't think you can say, Discover, let me make this card number, and it only works once you may be able to I don't have experience doing those, but that's another way to do it, where you can call your credit card company or just google the name of your credit card and say one time card number and see what it comes up with or virtual card number. And some of the banks, the big banks, you know, the City, these big banks don't really necessarily like this idea because they just want, you know, they just want it simple, and they want it to be able to people, to be able to charge you whenever they want. And so I think that they haven't really embraced this in a big way that I would have liked to see. Like you would think every credit card company would say, oh, yeah, we know people shop online. Let's give them these virtual card numbers to make it easier for them. And they don't forget about things and they don't get charged for stuff, and they can feel safe giving their card number out to people. But I haven't really seen the adoption in a big way, but I think privacy dot com is probably the best one. The only downside to it, I think, is that you have to use your debit or credit debit card or your bank account to actually sign up. I don't believe you can use a credit card to fund the virtual card that you're creating, so that's kind of the only caveat there. But I do have a couple of them set up there. They work really well and it's definitely saved me a couple of times from getting hit with charges when I forgot about stuff. Great question Mark and Woodland Hills, Oh my gosh, that already segment. All right, coming up, We've got parents, a group of parents who created an app called first Ease. We're going to talk to them right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website for the show rich on Tech dot Tv. There you can see the show notes by hitting the light bulb, or you can watch my TV segments that I do for KTLA TV in Los Angeles. That's all there on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. I was playing around this morning with an app, you know, Mint Money went away, so I was trying to find a replacement app for that, and I think I found it. The problem is it costs money, but it's called Monarch Money. And if you're looking to like kind of do all of your net worth, you know, put all your accounts into one place, which I know is a little scary to aggregate them all, but you know you want to see all your net worth on one page. This one is really good at that. It also does your you know, your car, your house, whatever you've got, plus your investments, your bank accounts, puts it all on one page, so you can see a net worth exactly what Mint used to do really well. The problem is they want to charge I think it's about one hundred bucks a year. So anyway, it might be worth just taking a look at it, because I have been testing out Rocket Money as well, which I like, but you know they don't do as good of a job with the net worth stuff. So if you're looking for a replacement for Mint Mobile, then Monarch Money might be the way to do it. Also, I was at Target yesterday and I was purchasing a gift card Bobo Hide Your Ears, and I noticed they have a whole new system to keep the thieves from draining gift cards. So now when you buy a gift card at least at Target, a Target gift card, they don't put the redemption barcode on the back until after you buy it. So it's actually so you know, the these thieves will go into stores, they'll scrape off or somehow tamper with the gift cards. They'll record the numbers off the back of the gift cards, and then when you buy it at the register, somehow they're alerted that it's been activated, and they will instantly go in and drain that account before you even get to use it. This happened to us last year. It's a very common occurrence, so I guess Target has found a way around that. So kudos to them for figuring out a more secure system. All right, Joining me on the show, Miami Parents, Natalia Daniel and Odd Pellet Pellett. They have a new app that they created. It's called first Ease. And this is an app that I wish I had when I originally, you know, had my kids. Back in the day, I think we wrote one thing down in a book and then we never wrote another thing, like first steps, first smile, and that was it. But this is an app that helps you capture, organize, and share your kids milestone moments. Welcome to the.
Speaker 5: Show, Hello, rich how about.
Speaker 1: I am doing fantastic. So tell me what gave you the inspiration for this this first d'z app.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's so as parents, we all had the same moments. We all just wrote a few pictures, you know, first steps and first smile, and that's about it, and we stopped. And so actually I realized that when I was trying to put together a book for our kids, and I realized there was a lot of moments that I didn't capture. You know, there was the basic ones, but there's so many other milestones and moments that go not record it. And when I found the picture, I also found that they were scattered on multiple devices and it was really time consuming to bring them all in one place. So I turned to my husband, who works in tech, and I'm like, we have to come up with something a little bit easier for parents and really help them in capturing those moments that you know, go away really quickly if you don't capture them and help them retrieve them in a very easy way.
Speaker 1: So this is firsties and I love that it's not just like you know, it actually gives you prompts. So it says like, hey, you know, capture their first haircut, Capture their first going to a restaurant, Capture their first umbrella, you know, using an umbrella. So it's like all these little things that we take for granted as adults, but as kids, it's all brand new to them. Like almost everything they do is like they're going to do it for the first time.
Speaker 8: Yes, for sure, we definitely take it all for granted.
Speaker 4: So we have five hundred plus milestone prompts to inspire parents in capturing all those moments.
Speaker 17: And like you said, there are so many sweet moments that we regret for not capturing, especially with our first son. And you know when you ask parents, for example, do you have a video when of your kid first time seeing the reflection reflection in the mirror, you know, it's such a sweet moment. And most of your parents we talked to like, oh, no, I wish I captured it. And you know, what's your excuse? You had the phone, you had the camera, but a lot of time with life, we just don't think, right, life goes by and suddenly your kid is like ten years old, and you were like, oh, I wish I captured this, and I wish I captured that. So that was really kind of like the thing that Natalia came to me with. And you know my background, I've been in consumer tech in mobile gaming for almost fifteen years, and I was like, that actually can be a really fun idea to also gamify, right, And there's a lot of apps and I always talk about due Lingo, the language learning app that did a fantastic job putting on top of it like a layer of gamification and rewarding the users for not skipping a day and for like having a continuous experience and engagement with the app.
Speaker 3: So we thought the same thing.
Speaker 17: We said, first, let's create and gather those hundreds of milestone suggestions, and we did it, you know, working and collaborating with a group of moms and parents and pediatricians. Right so right now it's actually almost seven hundred super cute suggestions prompts in different categories.
Speaker 18: And then on top of that, we said, okay, let's reward that the parents for capturing those moments, right, and you're.
Speaker 3: Probably familiar and all the audience is probably familiar. A lot of mobile games or games in general, give.
Speaker 17: You achievements for achieving certain things inside the game. In this case, it's an app. But for example, as soon as you capture or upload five Thirsties, you get gems. You get rewards inside the app that they can later on use, for example for making and we'll talk about it more. Hopefully you can make you know, beautiful musical videos of the child, or you can order a real photo books.
Speaker 3: So that that's.
Speaker 17: Really the the what we've been developing now for almost three years.
Speaker 3: Super excited about it.
Speaker 17: You know, our team is almost eighteen people working hard on creating this is this appened. And the other thing is as we were building and developing, all started with, you know, in Natalia's idea about like not missing capturing these moments. The other thing that we realize very quickly is that we as parents, we share those moments that we did capture across multiple channels.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 17: Some I share, you know, with my family via what'sapp. Some friend does not have what's PP, so I use SMS and here is on by email, and sometimes we live a digital footprint on on social media and suddenly you're like all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Like where is it? You know?
Speaker 17: And we wanted to create something that is like one centralized place, super secure, private.
Speaker 3: We can talk about that.
Speaker 18: There's a lot of technology that went into securing our app.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk about to talk about the privacy aspect, because you know, people are sharing their you know, their memories in this app. You know, how have you made you know, what is the privacy? Are their ads? Do you collect data on people?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What can you feel confident knowing that you know what you're putting in here is going to remain private.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 17: And again that's the thing that we wanted to differentiate and build Here no ads. The platform was built not like traditional social media that was really built for broadcasting to the world.
Speaker 3: This is by invite only.
Speaker 17: When you send an invite to a close family member, a close friend, they have three days to accept the invites. Everything is encrypted. A lot of a lot of work went through encryption. I know you spoke about it, I believe last week in your podcast.
Speaker 3: What is Encryption? So a lot of effort went into that, and yeah, no, no ads, We don't collect data.
Speaker 17: It's really a private inner circle platform for sharing your most precious moments with the family.
Speaker 1: And what I know you've got So you can start for free. You've got a completely free version, and then you've got the premium version, So explain kind of the difference. What do you get with each?
Speaker 17: So we wanted to give enough for the users to really appreciate and enjoy the app.
Speaker 18: The app is, most of the features are free. It comes with a complimentary storage. You can upload almost one hundred photos and videos for free. You can upload one proof file or kid.
Speaker 17: We actually just added also inside a pet version, so if you have you know, we all have our pets, so you.
Speaker 3: Can add a child that part of the family.
Speaker 17: There's a lottery of stickers and filters and a lot of cute animations that you can add on.
Speaker 3: Their photos and videos. That's free as well.
Speaker 17: But obviously, if someone wants to use the app, and you know, and we we ourselves have been using it now for like a year and a half, and you know, the fos in the videos keep gathering, you know, you need more storage, and especially.
Speaker 3: If you want to have more of the advanced.
Speaker 17: Features, we're using a lot of the I of the apps for making the videos, for creating the photobook for you. That requires the premium subscription. The subscription both the subscription has a seven day free trial and it's nine ninety nine a month or sixty year, which comes to like five dollars and eighty three cents a month.
Speaker 1: And again, this is the This is the first das app. It is for kind of cataloging your child's milestones. It's available for iOS and Android Natalia. Are you happy with the way the app turned out? You had the idea? Are you happy the way it was executed?
Speaker 4: It's way better than I thought. And I wish I had it when our kids were younger because I would have captured so many moments. Not only it's super useful, but it looks really good and it's really well designed and very practical.
Speaker 5: So I'm more.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy with and I really hope people enjoy you as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, the website first D's dot com again catalog all the first moments with your child, all the milestones, and you can also share those privately with friends and family. Makes me want to have another kid. I don't know. Minor passed the first step though we're almost in high school now. Thanks so much for coming on the show. Natalia Daniel oded pelled first D's app creators. Coming up, We're going to open up the feedback see what you have to say about last week's show. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech, rich Demiro. Here a couple items of note before we open up the feedbag. iHeartRadio app got a major redesign, so if you update your iHeartRadio app, you'll notice a whole bunch of new features. Number one, custom presets. You can now save up to fifteen of your favorite stations, playlists, or podcasts for quick access. I would recommend that you save rich on Tech my podcast kfive. You're in the LA area or whatever station you're listening on, you can save that as a preset, and of course KTLA if you want to listen to the morning news that I work on as well. They have a scan button now so you can scan different radio stations, kind of like back in the day in the radio car dial. Same thing. Then they have a live radio dial so you can see the live radio stations that are near you, organized by genre and location, lyrics and also what's trending. So the app rollout. The brand new app is rolling out to iOS and Android users, will be available to everyone by the end of December. It's a big one. I already got it on one of my phones and it's a nice upgrade. And Moxie. This is a robot that was for kids and it's gonna shut down so Embodied, the company behind it, says they don't have enough money, so they got to shut down their operations. This is an eight hundred dollars robot that was marketed as an emotional support and educational companion for kids, a lot of kids on the autism spectrum. It was also marketed as good for them. And the robot is going to stop functioning entirely. Shutdown could occur within days, so no refunds. Maybe someone who purchased within the last thirty days might get a refund, but if you're you know. And the other thing is that apparently people are still paying this thing off, So you're gonna be paying off a robot that you can no longer use. So what is the moral of the story. Why do I tell you this? It's because all these products nowadays, they all need sort of a cloud connection, not just Internet, but a proprietary cloud connection from the company that runs the product to operate properly. And so if that company shuts down or runs out of money, you're out of luck. And I think about this with the electric car companies. You know, I'm not going to mention them by name, but there's a lot of electric car companies, these startups that are kind of on the bubble, and you're like, what happens if they go out of business? What happens to my car is they's still going to run. As happens with electric bikes. Same thing, all these devices that require a cloud connection, not just an Internet connection, but a cloud connection to this company that runs it. Yeah, all right, let's open up the feedback. These are the emails, the questions, the comments, all the stuff that you wrote to me in the past couple of weeks. Stand Ward writes in Hey Rich, great one hundredth show. Wanted to share my experience after listening to your segment on Coinbase and crypto scams, a girl I was writing to tried convincing me to open a Coinbase account and act as a middleman for moving crypto red flag red Flag. She claims she needed money to get back to the US from Spain. Turn out to be total bs. Thanks to your advice, I gave her a big no, and I hope I avoided getting scammed. Wishing you and your family a great Christmas. Stanward, I'm glad you avoided that. Stacey from Westlake Village rights in. I've been watching you on KTLA for years. I love your newsletter. As the quote computer tutor, I teach seniors how to use their tech devices. Stacy we Shavy on the show, I use a MacBook and iPad, but prefer Google Pixel phones. I've had one since the Pixel three. Thanks to your tips, I got the ten dollars discount on YouTube TV for six months. You're so informative and fun to follow. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Well, Stacy, thank you, and Merry Christmas to you as well. Jeff from Frisco, Texas writes in on your recent show, the guy had the old Samsung phone. You wanted to move his pictures, You might consider an SD card reader like this the Anchor mag Go USB adapter USBC adapter. Yes, that is a great way to move pictures. I probably should have mentioned that I can't remember exactly what his problem was, but yeah, that would work as well. You can always Yes, you can plug an SD card reader right into the bottom of most modern smartphones, whether it's iPhone or Android, and answer files that way. Jeff says, By the way, as a retired school technology director of thirty years, I really appreciate how you never judge your callers and always do your best to solve their problems. Keep up the great work, love the show. Thank you, Jeff from Frisco. Pete from Avila Beach writes in hey, Rich, I saw that starlink now offers a mini portable device for backpackers, starting at just fifty bucks a month for fifty gigs of service. It weighs about three pounds with the battery, perfect for anyone needing fast internet at the beach. I download and listen to your Saturday podcast every week. You're always so interesting. Keep up the great work, Pete. Yeah, Pee is referring to the caller that said he was doing metal detecting on the beach and needed like mobile internet access, And I said, I don't think starlink does it that portable, but I guess it does. So there you go. You can get Internet anywhere. Annie from Central Florida writes in Hey Rich, regarding the lady with the ray band OH with the I issue who needed the ray band metaglasses, she should first file an appeal. If that doesn't work, can file a complaint with her state's insurance commissioner, mentioning that other insurance companies are covering the cost. If she's low income on a Medicare advantage plan with Medicaid, she might have access to one thousand dollars in funds for items not covered by medical insurance. If she's legally blind and disabled, she might also qualify for SSDI and Medicare after two years of disability. It's a bit confusing, so it's best to contact her insurance agent for guidance. Thank you, Annie, that sounds like you got some good options there. Audrey from Chatsworth writes in Hey Rich, I just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful advice in your newsletters and podcasts. I showed my dad how to use his AirPods for the enhanced hearing, and it's been life changing. He hears me clearly now and his communication is so much better. His only complaint, there's an occasional echo, but otherwise it's been a game changer. Wishing you and your family a happy holiday season. OG podcast listener number seventy seven Audrey and I commented that I like that she gave herself a listener number, and I guess there's a show Mark and Brian on Klos back in the day that they used to sign their I don't know. It's like something that they used to do with, like listener numbers. I don't know the phone Yeah, me too, I have to look it up. I was like, wait, what so anyway, I guess not. Yeah, let's see here. Let's see Neil from Ohio. Not sure if you're doing an end of your recap, but here are the best things from your show. I'm thankful for the Aura frame. They do it right local send. I use it every month, replacing one drive. I amazing. Even though I didn't pay, it's still quite good, although the licensing model put me off. Wishing you and your impressive family a happy holiday season. Thank you, Neil. Uh okay, I think we're gonna get to uh that's it. That's gonna do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on the website just go to rich on Tech dot TV. If you want to get your feedback in just go there and hit contact. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on Tech. Next week, our guests include Marcia Collier. She is author of Android smart Phone Owns for Seniors for Dummies. She's going to share tips from her new book. And we also have Jonathan Garner Mind over Tech. He's going to talk about how to develop a healthier relationship for technology, which we can all use going into the new year. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Bobo Kim, My name is rich Dmiro. I will talk to you real soon.