Speaker 1: What up, y'all? This is your main man, Memphis Bleak right here. Welcome to Rock Solid, a production of iHeart Radio and the Black Effect Network in partnership with my guys over at Drink Champs.
Speaker 2: You should nobody know.
Speaker 1: You should nobody know. Yeah, y'all, you already know what it is. Yours truly back with another exclusive episode of Rock Solid, and this one right here. It's special when you have someone that was a childhood favorite. Really, when you listen to the music, it takes you right back the way you was. Let's welcome not only rapper do it all, city councilman, do it all to the building. Now you know what, my brother, I'm good man, yo, man. The evolution of hip hop is amazing, brother, to see you over here from rap bars, the change in the laws, yes said, he.
Speaker 3: Still got bars, you know, man, man dope, Yo man, man, I appreciate you man making easy money, yo.
Speaker 1: Ain't I ain't pimping no more. I'm tired. Love lockdown, love lockdown, That's what it was growing up.
Speaker 2: Hip hop.
Speaker 1: Hip hop looks like, yes, you know, I love it. Man. Let's let's go back before we keep taking the present, because the year is nineteen ninety three. I remember being in my house video music box, so all we had was video music box or the box. I didn't have enough money for the box, so all we had was video music box. Shout out Ralph McDaniels.
Speaker 2: Shout out Ralph Man, Happy anniversary.
Speaker 1: Here comes the laws Man drops Yes, produced by Mally mas I signing. Oh wow, I didn't.
Speaker 2: Know that K Death did the hits man Like produced.
Speaker 1: What was that like at A eighty three to have a major hit by a major producer and you were signed to Marley mal Like in nineteen eight. I couldn't even imagine which I was living. So I want to hear from you, yo.
Speaker 3: It's like a dream come true. Like I am so hip hop man, Like I am hip hop, that's right. Like I'm never gonna stop being hip hop with anything that I do. But with that being said, we I was the young the young homie that recorded Mally mal Pau's tape on WBLS.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, the sessue on the tape.
Speaker 3: I'm recording Molly mal and mister Magic on BLS. I'm listening to all of that and we go off. You know, I want to be a rapper I'm trying to get a deal that doesn't work out, well, says you know, if it does not work out, you are going to school.
Speaker 1: That's right, So everybody, so everybody. So I went to school, man, I.
Speaker 3: Went to Show University because it didn't seem like it was working out.
Speaker 2: And Raleigh, North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Man, yeah, man n C.
Speaker 3: And it felt like it was starting to happen because Mallie Maul's cousin went to our school.
Speaker 2: Derek L. A. Jackson. Now, Derek is the same guy who found Scott.
Speaker 3: Storch Oh wow, Yeah, and he managed Coolio and all of those Mountain Deuke commercials that you used to see with Nicki.
Speaker 2: Minaj and Lil Wayne and all of that. All that was Derek L. A. Jackson, And he found the roots damn.
Speaker 1: Clug.
Speaker 2: He was in college with our DJ, DJ Lord Jazz. Shout yea Lord Jazz living.
Speaker 1: You see what's so dope about the era? Back then, the DJ got just as much as the artist. Today, it's just like, hey, that's my DJ. Dog Biggas just focused on the artist. So that's dope that all three of y'all grew together.
Speaker 3: Lord Jazz founded Lords of the Underground, We say that because La was his best friend in college and Lord Jazz was the DJ at all of the parties, all of the Greek parties, all.
Speaker 2: Of that type of stuff.
Speaker 3: And La was graduating and he was going to work for his cousin, who just happened to be Marley mal And he said, Yo, when I go work for Marli, you know, I'm a try to get a group in there. He was like, former group, when I go work for Marli. So he would let me rhyme at all of the parties. And he would never let funk rahm at the parties.
Speaker 1: No way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wouldn't let funk ram at the parties. I guess, expressing them so much.
Speaker 3: And then one day Man, he asked us to come up to the radio station and we set a rhyme that we wrote together, and they sent the tape, which was Psycho. They sent that tape that we was rhyming over dress from Black Sheep and you know, roming over. I think it might have been flavored a month or something like that.
Speaker 1: Wow. He sent it to.
Speaker 2: Shout to send it to Malie.
Speaker 3: Man and Molly called Man and said, Yo, when y'all come into the house.
Speaker 2: It Hits and the rest became history.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: So to answer your question, being able.
Speaker 3: To be in front of Molly Mal who I used to record from the radio, it was just it was amazing to me. The first time we walked into the house it Hits, which was upstate New York at the time. You know, we pull up to this white house upstate New York. You see a red path. Fonder, you see a red pile, you see a red BMW.
Speaker 2: All the cards was red.
Speaker 3: This one Mally had the ring back in that day before anybody had the ring. You pressed his bell and he could see you and you talked to him.
Speaker 2: We went in.
Speaker 3: Dang, it's a little skinny kid standing in between the SSL and back then it was only two people that had ssls in their home, or maybe three, I think, Prince Molly Mal and Teddy Riley. And it's this little skinny kid with a bell can go on and a white beater on and he's all you hear is.
Speaker 2: Mama said, knock you out.
Speaker 3: It was yo, chill, yo, this is this is young kids like, yes, it's legendary. Ll was like the god, yes you know, and he said, yo ta yo tad, I want you to meet my new group. We ain't even had the name yet, you know. And he turned around, he looked at us, He licked his lips. He turned the music down him like what up beat? Then he turned it back up. Mama said, knock you out. They was mixing. Mama said, knock you out. I turned to the crew.
Speaker 1: I was like, yo, we made it word up like we here we in the president are real right now. But damn, like you said, you was in Shaw University pledge Alpha Pi Alpha.
Speaker 2: I didn't even fold alpha.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying, Step, How did that shape your leadership? You know what I mean? Mindset that you carried today.
Speaker 3: Man, it's difficult, right, Like it was difficult when you come from and I know you know League coming from Brooklyn, when you come from those inner cities.
Speaker 2: Man, you just believe and know what you know?
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: So when somebody introduced something foreign to you, first thing we do is we push back to those things that that's unfamiliar to us.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And when I first went to school, I only went to school because I got in trouble, right, I got I got locked up, I got caught Joe Rod.
Speaker 2: And then I got charged with a gun. I got charged with the drugs. That was I was looking at seventeen years God damn.
Speaker 3: And the councilman at the time shout out to my mentor Hot Feast for Red, who went on to manage laws of the underground. But the council he was the chief of staff to the councilman. And shout out to doctor Ralph T. Grant Senior. He's still living man eighty almost nineties, ninety something years old.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he lives in Florida.
Speaker 3: You know, you know where the retired right And you know he said, Joe, I know you not this type of dude. Let me let me write some letters to the judges and to the courts and see if I can get some lesser things to happen. Long story short, they come back the court saying you gotta go to school.
Speaker 2: You go to school. I had to paint some polls and all that. They said.
Speaker 1: I've been there.
Speaker 3: I've been there, you know, went to school and that's where I met the people that changed my life.
Speaker 2: But even back to the councilman, that was the counselman that everything that he showed me.
Speaker 3: I wound up becoming an alpha like him. I wound up going to the same school that he graduated.
Speaker 2: And I can't make this up.
Speaker 3: And now, as the counselman of North New Jersey, I have the same office that he had as the counselor.
Speaker 1: It's like, that's like as full three sixty to be standing there looking at it as a juveie looking at them helping you on some criminal activity, to now you the counselman in that same spot and able to give the same opportunity to maybe another misfortunate young you know, young man out here in the wrong place, wrong time. So damn man, you doing all of that college and that's dope that you got in the situation. And they made you go to school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they made me go to school. That was back then. Now I don't know if they're gonna do that now.
Speaker 1: What happened in my era, They just put you in truan. See, it took you to the preset, your moms came and got you. You still was dumb yesterday as you was that day. They did not say, hey, we're gonna sign you up to college and get you right. Was none of that. So all of that happening, and then Chief Rocker, Chief Rocker drops buzzing nationally everywhere radio send it like to me, I think that was maybe you know, back in the day listening to music, you didn't know what records went gold, what records were platt, no, what records was not. As a kid, you didn't care. I think that record would the first time I noticed, like, wait a minute, this ship is everywhere. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, that was a blessing man.
Speaker 3: But I think before we even get the Chief rock up, we have to rewind too.
Speaker 2: Like I think it was the build up.
Speaker 3: We had like five videos, as you know, shout out to Rubin Rodriguez who ran Pendulum Records.
Speaker 1: Angel I remember shout they had one record that last forever, forever, forever. They ain't even in the video. They was cool as mother, cool, cool.
Speaker 2: Like that, right.
Speaker 3: But I think we have to rewind, like and go back to Funky Child, right, so funky shot, Like first Psycho was bubbling and and it became okay, but then Funky Child dropped and that stuff. You know, I went into the went into the video with the diaper.
Speaker 1: On, yo, the baby, oh you the baby?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, heard up.
Speaker 1: He was the first one to set it off.
Speaker 2: And actually we got that from Parliament Funkadelic.
Speaker 1: No way at the time, shout out you and the baby y'all the only tour my life flying I seen doing and y'all held it down. Man, you know what I mean when you.
Speaker 3: Got Funky Child to come out. I remember being at Rosco Chicken and Waffles uh in La. You know, back then, everybody had a record representative in each city that was a good good and our record representative came in and they slid the billboard tours and they said, congratulations you number one.
Speaker 2: This is a Funky Child. So we're like, oh, yeah, yeah, but the.
Speaker 3: Record representative was still like kind of like down, so we're like, yo, he just said we number one?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: And he said, I want to apologize to y'all. I'm like apologize for what he said because we didn't think this record would move so we didn't push it.
Speaker 2: So were like, wait a minute.
Speaker 1: The record went number one and we.
Speaker 2: Like, he like, yeah, man, it could have really been been that record.
Speaker 1: Funky Child, is it? Like think? Uh? French Matanda revived.
Speaker 2: That out the French.
Speaker 3: We had a we had a long talk with him about you know, I was I was upset with French at first, French. I was upset with you, but because this French is my dude now, but I was upset with and Max has always been my guy, but French. We was upset with French because we felt like when you did the video, when you did the song, you didn't reach out to the homies to originated, just invite us in the video so we can be like this in the video, you know, and it wasn't and then come to find out it wasn't even him, it was his crew and all.
Speaker 2: You know, so but were cool.
Speaker 1: French is cool and I mean that that recad bro. I think that rec gonna live forever. Like I was talking to my partner cheat you off screen and he was like yo. He was like if I remember, He was like, yo, Lords, the Underground might have the last breakdancing record released.
Speaker 3: And that's what That's what I'm getting to too. So when he told us that Funky Child, they didn't push. The next record was Chief Rocker. So now they didn't believe or push Funky Child.
Speaker 1: When they put.
Speaker 3: Everything in the Chief Rocker, that made Chief Rocker a top forty hit, and that changed our lives.
Speaker 1: What video was that I'm trying I want to say the wrong song. But y'all shot a video in Newark, I believe, and it was at night. The video was that Chief Rocker or Lord Child that that was? That was funky that video bro like classic by Gee. I was mobbing in Newark.
Speaker 3: Like, let me give you a history about Funky Child cover. I never said this on any interview ever. We were supposed to have that cover with baby pictures of us, and Funk could not find a baby picture of himself.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: That's how it was.
Speaker 3: Back like his mom's you know, God bless Auntie. She had passed on my birthday.
Speaker 1: That's different to him.
Speaker 3: We signed on January twelfth to Mary and funk Mom's past on January fourteenth, which is my birthday.
Speaker 2: So it's the best day of his life than the worst day.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So he couldn't find any of his baby pictures and then next thing, you know, Big comes out with the big baby picture.
Speaker 1: It was mad drama over the baby pictures. Y'all had drama over the the Funk yeah being the Funky Child, like Hi being the Funk your man, Yo. It was mad drum because I remember lording that's you know, they came out. What was his album The Funk some turn the Return of the y'all was Lords.
Speaker 2: Of the No we was the Lords of the Underground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, y'all was, but no y'all was.
Speaker 3: The record was funky, yes, but people used to say it was the return of the Funky Chap.
Speaker 1: That's what called I remember as a shorter. You know, this was back with right word. All that stuff is out. You get your like, yo, this is going on. Then when I spoke the Guru, I told him I interview, He's like, yo, gotta bring up that because this was a big time, big movement and then like the funk sound. Yeah, I feel like there is no originator to it. Nah, right because Lord foressing them did what they did with the Diamond D and.
Speaker 2: Them shout out to d I TC.
Speaker 1: Y'all came out and changed the pushed the envelope further, and then RADMN came out and took it even further.
Speaker 3: Let's even take it further than that, right, So Parliament, Parliament, Funk Cadelic is from New Jersey, so all of the sampling of.
Speaker 2: The funk in the West Coast, that's New Jersey, New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Damn. So foressing them was wild no.
Speaker 3: Not even just for that, like the West Coast gets the credit for that funk sound in hip hop.
Speaker 2: Yes, but they were sampling a Jersey artist. You see what I'm saying. So, I mean shout out the shout out the Finesse too. Man.
Speaker 1: For now, I've met him at an award show. He's super dupe. One of the illest lyricists I met coming up. I respect all the OG's, that's one thing. All of y'all paved a way for us to do what we do today. And if guys don't know lords in the underground, digging in the crates, Molly, ma, you're doing a disservice to yourself a hip hop like like, you know, I don't like keep bringing up the young and the old. But little Yachty man what he said about you know what I mean, rappers Delight. It's just like, come on, come on, that's blasphemy.
Speaker 3: And you know what's crazy about little Yachty Like his mother went to our college.
Speaker 1: Damn, no way, yo, chill. So Mama Yati sitting again, Mama.
Speaker 2: Yati right Shaw University. Man.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean shout out to Yachty. So when we found out out, I was like, wow, she should have schooled the more what happened on Yes for sure, man, definitely. But back to the Chief Rocker.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So after after Funky Child, you know, we were on the weird platform, and then we switched to the EU my platform with Chief Rokker, and they poured all of those dollars, all this promotion and marketing dollars, marketing dollars into that, and man, Chief Rocker just changed our lives.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: We got to buy our mother home, mother's homes, ourselves homes.
Speaker 2: And you can tell a difference from it hit.
Speaker 1: I know, you know you people hit radio hit is better than the digital hit. Oh you see, way more money, definitely. I don't know why, like how the game is bregged that way, and I don't own the money machine, but that radio hit and I come on ninety three ninety four, bro, that was That's all it was was radio. There was no digital, It was no end in Thatt radio. So y'all got to see the full fledge of what rappers today can only dream of.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: I came in on the tail end of it, and we had the jyrules and the murdering radio Nelly. It was like get your record in Nigga. I had a lot of competition. Member, it's nine slots. It's only nine slots on the radio. Jah had three, Luda had two, Nelly had two, and Jay got the rest. They looking at you like where you want me to put your record outside the radio?
Speaker 2: I got your right. It was that Monday of music, Wednesday, Mondays and Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, new money. There used to be new money break it Thursday. Member. They used to be like what was this ship? Rocket or jacket or used to do rocket or socket rocking? Sick? Yeah, yo, like back then, like when did the how you said you was on pendulum? But then how did the death Jam thing happen?
Speaker 3: Well, we wasn't see Redman was on Death Jam and people like, you know that's my brother.
Speaker 2: That's I got four Godfathers for my I call them for my son.
Speaker 3: Man right angels, Yeah, man, they the Mount Rushmore Godfathers, Man, Red Man and Lord Finness, Michael Bivens from New Edition.
Speaker 1: And Trench God damn. He got it all.
Speaker 2: Oh no, they spoiled the message.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got it all. He got gangster shows skills because I wanted to rapa Redman. He don't know that he know now see this, but when that first album The What Crazy, I studied that out razing.
Speaker 3: He's a legend man, He's one of my favorite monkst being my brother, but he used to be my DJ.
Speaker 1: Chill Redman is a DJ two.
Speaker 2: Red Man was my DJ before he was Redman, the Murderous Yo Chill.
Speaker 1: Not Muddy Waters DJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was my DJ man And he's just always been a fire MC even when he was DJing. We had this set that we used to do where he would be cutting.
Speaker 1: While he's rapping.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And he just been a He just been an ill MC man all along. So Saluthor, Regie noble Man always been fire for real.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of talent came from New Jersey period, but from Newark, New Jersey. A lot of y'all man like Tratch you rad mean, Queen Latifa, definite fucking.
Speaker 2: Fuji's, all of them, Lauren wykleft.
Speaker 1: Fuji's even Whitney Houston on Nippy Shack Shock. Like a lot of great came from Newark, New Jersey. And I don't think y'all get the respect for that for carving out a lot of shit that us in this world lived. Like, come on, bro, if you take Shock, all the music, take the Fooji's, Whitney Houston, what we got how many like it's it gonna be a lot of voids out there that need feeling, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Definitely, man And we used to say that a lot too, Like we love New York City being so close in proximity to y'all, you know what I mean, Like this is the mecca, the BX is the mecca.
Speaker 2: But we felt like in the nineties we had everybody's world up. You know, we had our brothers from Trenton, you know what i mean, like Cam Cam Trent Like we had.
Speaker 3: So many people man from I mean, you got h Channel Live, you got.
Speaker 1: Artist handles, live, Outlaws.
Speaker 3: You just had so many different people, man, that were rocking in the nineties hip hop. And we just feel like sometimes we don't get mentioned enough that life comes the nineties hip hop.
Speaker 1: They don't even know like Eminem went to Newark and got a lot of his roots too from running around with the guys out there. A lot of people don't know that too. They came to the outside, That's what I'm saying. They think all them flows came from a male. Now half them just came from Newark, New.
Speaker 2: Jersey too, Shout out Tom Man.
Speaker 1: Definitely. He was definitely love man always. And you know what I love about rap man that when you really into it, it ain't where you from like they say, it's where you at. Because he was a Detroit guy. And I heard more stories about him in New New Jersey than I did in Detroit.
Speaker 2: That's right, man, Yeah, I mean he was, he was there. He was in the outshouse. Yes, so we used to call it the outshouse.
Speaker 1: Man, Come digger man up, y'all got goats, New Jersey, Joe.
Speaker 2: Biden, come on, shout the button word up man.
Speaker 3: I mean young z like he was with them, you know what I'm saying. So, I mean it was only best that he had to get their game up or they would have took his head off.
Speaker 1: That's a fact, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know you you you've been around greats, you know what I mean, And when you've been in Baseline, you.
Speaker 1: Had to come with it or take your head off. That's a fact. That's the time. Remember Rockefeller, we had what ten artists. Baseline only had two rooms. People think Baseline was a room for everybody. Hell no, it was two rooms and you could not be in there bullshitting with bars. That was the number one thing. Hold come in there, I mean what you got Oh you bullshit with bars? Gurule turn this off, yo, bring bring these news beans in the man. It was. It was just like that, like either you gonna have it or you don't. Next man up, who got it in there?
Speaker 3: Oh that's crazy, you say beans? Shout out the beans mashed my dogs him and Freeway did. They did a bunch of community stuff for me in the community man in our hood in Irvington and the noyork excuse me and shout out to them man that that they don't see it to be robbery to still come and do some community stuff. But I remember one time, man, my first time beans. I wanted to do beans.
Speaker 2: Remember this, but uh, what was their management? Black hand?
Speaker 1: Yeah, black hand?
Speaker 2: Right, so I was real rolling? What up in real roller? I know they remember a producer by the name of Black Friday.
Speaker 1: Black Friday, yeah, black hand and queens. It took me a minute.
Speaker 3: It's no thank you for therection enough because I know black no we queen, but Black Friday. We was in Philly. I want my man Craig King, producer Craig King. You might remember me did some stuff for Yay, did some stuff with Luda A Leah, a bunch of people. But he asked me to take a ride with him in Philly. We go to this inconspicuous house, you know, in Philly, on some crazy block. I go in and this is probably like ninety nine, maybe when Beans came out.
Speaker 1: Two thousand to two thousands album dropped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about ninety nine.
Speaker 1: I go in.
Speaker 2: The house is all dimly lit, you know.
Speaker 3: We sitting down at the table with Black Friday, and Beans is standing in the corner light.
Speaker 2: He's waiting for something like security. And we sit down and he comes over to me and he like, I love sleep for dinner. That's my favoring record. And then he goes back to the corner.
Speaker 3: I'm walking like, yo, who is next time I saw Beans, he was in a Bentley.
Speaker 1: Yo chill Ye Beans was a Bentley man. Yeah two he had two up at one time. It used to come to me bleak the Bentley hot let me hold a ben switch out with it spaking, No problem. I don't want this shit anyway, right or man? So nineteen ninety four, when fucking how can I say this? Man? After keepers of funk in the industry shifted, you know what I mean? The label support back then shifted to what was the mindset of y'all moving forward from then?
Speaker 3: Like, that's a great ass question, leek, that's a great question. And I'm saying that's a great question because I want the young and to taints and artist to understand out there, never stop going, Never believe that.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm on, I got to hit. I'm good. Never stop because we was rich as hell in ninety four.
Speaker 1: I feel you know what I'm saying A hundred bro, I.
Speaker 2: Feel you you can get kind of lazy.
Speaker 3: You can get like, oh they want what, No tell them, we want such and such, or they want to not tell them only if it's twenty first.
Speaker 2: Class, ye tell you know.
Speaker 1: Start feeling yourself.
Speaker 3: Feeling yourself, man, and and if you ain't feeling yourself, you ain't.
Speaker 1: Touch it, right, That's right, you know what I'm saying. That's a fact. You ain't really see success if you ain't start thinking, if you ain't get big, had it or think you left earth?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you left earth.
Speaker 1: You ain't see success for real.
Speaker 2: I don't mean you ain't.
Speaker 3: You ain't had a chance to come back, but yes, you know, you start feeling yourself a little bit. And I think ninety four we riches. I don't know what we got keepers of the funt recording while we're on tour. Once we went to Chicago in ninety two, like the end of ninety two, we hadn't been home for like damn, damn.
Speaker 2: They it felt like three years. I mean periodically we hadn't we hadn't.
Speaker 1: Been last right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And we was just rich, rocking, and you know, and when that album came, that hunger that we did and here come the Lords of This is just something we love. We don't even care if it comes out. Almost I think that we started questioning everything, well.
Speaker 2: How many points for this? Or how many is this? And how many is that?
Speaker 3: Or what this looked like or what these numbers? You start doing the business while you're trying to do the rat.
Speaker 1: I tell people that all these young artists, I tell them, once it become one because you do it for free, for the love. That's how we always started. For the love. Once they give you that checking, you look like I got this oh yes for that right now, it becomes a business and you start trying to shoot for bigger checks. That's our same check, and it's you're not the love that you did it for. The music is just not coming out the same.
Speaker 3: In it man, and and you know, Keepers of the Funk still did amazing. You know, we went gold initially with it. I think it's already somewhere around platinum now, but it wasn't the same vigor that we we approached it when when here come the Lords and we were still on the road, so we couldn't just lock in into the studio and we could have, but we didn't stop pausing of getting the money to you know what I mean. So I think the mad and then the industry was switching. Yes, I remember Ruben Rodriguez shout out to Supreme.
Speaker 2: Seed Man, Supreme Seed. He actually married wy.
Speaker 1: Cleft's sister mouth Man.
Speaker 3: Music business is czy, but Supreme See, we had a record with him called Never Faded and shout out to everybody loved they never Faded It kills on the rule. But at that time the record company wanted us to lead with that single. I know we wanted to lead with that single. But they wanted to lead with the Nise Williams Keep the Faith, which almost sounded like an inspirational churchy vibe lords and under Oh your Lord's underground, this churchy vibing.
Speaker 2: The streets wanted never fade, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So we went, of course with the record company because they're gonna put all of the money into this. We had Denise Williams shout out the Nise Williams. She's a legend, she's singing on it. But the streets wanted the grimy right, and then mob and all of them was coming, and we didn't put that out first.
Speaker 1: We put out the nice record, Nice Record because they wanted to go crossover. So when the labels tell you we got to go crossover, let's go for ads, yest's go for radio. And then they had you in there like this, like yeah, I might go be l two.
Speaker 2: The underground we wanted never faded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had me in there. It was Joe, Rue Nelly and them, Yo, we need that you in there, Like now, j'a do got muscles? I hang with the nigga. I might do that. Go try niggas, Like dang't you take that back? To the boy homie. So I feel you with that.
Speaker 3: Like listening, man, and I think that we didn't.
Speaker 2: Kind of line up aligned.
Speaker 3: With the switch was you know, like I said, we young dudes who just got our mothers and families out of the hood and rich.
Speaker 1: So that's the that's the main, that's the most important, the thing to accomplish when you get into this, because that's what we wanted. Man, you picked up that pen. I know me, Man, I was tired of looking at roaches in the crib try hanging from the ceiling. I'm tired of opening up that pot, Mi whatch you cook and it's just everything in the cabin throwing in one fig. It was like, nah, go outside the homies. That's hustling. He buying pizza, he buying pigs, patties, his nigga buying sneakers, whatever he wants. Like, I gotta figure something out. And then you start writing your pain down and then you get paid for it and here you are. And then like in ninety four, ninety three, ninety two, men to have a gold record back then, it's equivalent today to be in double platinum. Like seriously, because you literally, like I said, it was no digital nothing. Five hundred thousand people had to physically get us walk in that store and purchase that CD, that tape and keep it pushing. So that's a major accomplishment because it's just like the NBA. I feel like everybody in the NBA, you have one hundred thousand, millions of players that played, but not everybody can say they want a chip. It's the same thing in this business. Million of people played, not everybody brung a chip home. So to have a chip in multiple chips, that's an accomplishing itself. And then back then, bro, like I could say, like you saying, Yo, we was rich rich, Hell yeah, nineteen ninety three, a gold record.
Speaker 2: My man had like eight cars at one time.
Speaker 3: Me and Lord Jazz used to laugh at them, like what is you doing with all these cars?
Speaker 2: And we still joke about it to this day.
Speaker 3: But I mean, it was just so many different I mean, you know, because you have experience.
Speaker 1: And I've seen it in the two thousands and the money was still major, but it wasn't what it was in the nineties. Like I used to be mad at some of my cousins in them looking at drug dealers in the two thousands, that'd be like, yeah, I got money in eighty eight, and I'm like, cause you was outside eighty eight two. Wasn't you why you ain't got no? Oh you was in the house. You ain't go outside. I get it. So but then everything changed, Like what changed for you to make you say, all right? I did the music, I did all I've been around the greats, I tore the I told the world, had all the cars, did whatever. You know what all us rappers do. You go to the imagination, we don't have to talk about it. Then you say, yo, I'm a run for city council.
Speaker 2: Man, man, so many, so many different things. League.
Speaker 3: It's like in nineteen ninety two in Orlando, Florida, we had a motel. We ain't even in hotels yet.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 3: It's when you go to that motels that outside. That's right, we had the room outside. We're on a TUPAC tour.
Speaker 1: Damn legendary.
Speaker 2: No real talk.
Speaker 3: It's real talk. Like we're on a TUPAC tour. Outcast is opening up Jah Nay with my man Fan from Roden Rascals. They got to hey, mister DJ record, that's member that Yeah, Major and Big used to come on on with Park sometime on the road. Were on a tour, almost getting into something with Pop because we shared a Lord shared a van with Pop and Thug Life, so most of it was Thug Life and POC and I think maybe Lords had about six people with us, like sixteen passenger van, and he was just mad because we was always late. One of our members was always late. You guess it, well, one of our members was always late. So I get into it with him because he started talking to third person like this my fing tool, you know that, and I just felt like he was thisssing us and it started to feel embarrassing, you know, the thug Life they laughing. So I started talking to third person like rappers be acting like they from from Cali and they really from Baltimore, you know, like like we're getting into it and fourth so right when it really gets tense, my other group member gets on the van.
Speaker 2: Fast forward later.
Speaker 3: Pop comes to my room, knocks on my door. He's bearing gifts. He got a T shirt under one arm. I believe I still got that T shirt too, thug wife on it with the bullet on the eye. He got a new point in one ear blunting the other and he got two forty ounces.
Speaker 2: So he knock on the door.
Speaker 3: And that's when you still have phones and you can still smoke in the hotel and get the smoking room, smoking room lick and I looked out the curtain. I'm like, it's pot so I know that we just went through. So I called Lord Jazz, my DJ, and was like, yo, pocket in the door.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, he tripping. I'm like, nah, he just at the door. I'm just letting you know what. I'm about to let him in. If something happened, you already know what's happening.
Speaker 3: I let him in. I open the door. He just looked at me and he like, you ain't gonna let me in. I just I still don't say nothing. I just move out the way let him in. It's two beds in the room. He sitting on one, I sit on one. He crack open the forty hand me, hand it to me, crack open his forty sip it he takes. I don't know if he took the blunt the or the cigarette out, but he lit. Probably was the blunt. He said he lit the blunt and he looks at me and he's like, you know you was wrong, right, and I was like, I felt like I was wrong, but because it's his tool. But I wasn't wrong for taking up for myself. That's right, you know what, I hold it down like, I couldn't let you just diss our crew. But bro we twenty twenty one. He goes into I ain't never heard of twenty year old to this day talk the way that he was talking. And he was talking about positivity. He was talking about how we shouldn't move from the cities we're from if we grew from the soil. From there, he started talking about how we gotta turn millions of rappers into millions of rapper listen to records, listen to the people who listen to rap records into millions of voters. He started talking about. And then he said, we got to become legislators. I'm like, legislators, man, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Like, man, I'm a rapper she talking about.
Speaker 3: He was like, nah, but if we don't make the vote, if we don't make the laws, then the laws will be made for us.
Speaker 2: I'm just listening to him.
Speaker 3: He's like, we gotta start nonprofits and create youth programs that bridge the gap between our youth and our seniors.
Speaker 1: That's a fact. Yo, this guy's twenty years old. It's what ninety what two?
Speaker 2: Oh it don't Lando, Florida.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, I'm like, all right, Man, I feel like I did everything he asked me in that hotel. Man, I created a nonprofit organization called two eleven Community Impact.
Speaker 2: I did everything Man.
Speaker 3: I ran for office, but he wasn't the only one. I had a mentor about the name of my hot feast for Reed, who was our manager of Lords and the Underground. We had just came off of doing MTV. You know how MTV should throw all of those big concerts. I was feeling myself again this I was feeling myself a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Asshole moment.
Speaker 3: I got a couple of asshold since then, Washington, I'm sorry, I got a couple of asshole moments.
Speaker 2: I'm just keeping this.
Speaker 3: But so, I come off of MTV and usually I've been wearing nork on my hats.
Speaker 1: And clothes for years.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. And this time I had on had T shirt nor everything, and he my man just looked at me. He's like, oh, you norked.
Speaker 1: Out to day.
Speaker 2: Huh. So I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I got defensive, but I was like yeah, like and what like yeah, And he was like, what's the last thing you did for Newark?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I got defensive.
Speaker 1: I was like, what you mean.
Speaker 3: I just performed in front of millions of people on MTV. I represented for my city. He was like, I'm not talking about marketing and promotion. What was the last thing you did for your city?
Speaker 2: And he stumped me.
Speaker 1: I was like wow.
Speaker 3: And I promised that day that that would be the last day that anybody would ever be able to ask me what I did for my city.
Speaker 2: And I can't answer it, do you know?
Speaker 3: And then I started taking my hip hop money and started my nonprofit like POxy, and I started investing into Team Pregnancy and you know, just things that was affecting our youth, going into.
Speaker 2: Schools, doing talks and all of that.
Speaker 3: And then the people later years later, said, yo, we want you to be our voice.
Speaker 1: Damn you know that's dope, man.
Speaker 3: And then I wind up in twenty twenty two, I wound up becoming the first platinum selling hip hop artists to ever win an elected official see in the United States of America.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, come on too.
Speaker 2: Because he got the world title for women believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Sean definitely came home on his Obama movie. Definitely, definitely. I respect it too, man, he out there really making the change and doing I respect all because these are things we dreamed about, that we we we wished we could do, and y'all really doing it. So like that makes the difference that's needed because other young black men, older men might see you like they don't even know. I didn't have no clue that Pop put some of that inspirations. Definitely, and I never met Pop. I never saw him personally ever, Like I only know his message, no his story, and know what every other fan knew, But I never met him to know that he was out there inspiring movements like that.
Speaker 3: Man, if not the governor, at minimum, he would have been the mayor of Baltimore or Oakland.
Speaker 1: That's crazy to think about that. So where do you place lords of the underground in the golden era conversation?
Speaker 3: Man, that's a great question too, man, I mean you're asking one of the lords, So I'm gonna put myself up there.
Speaker 2: We usually talk about.
Speaker 1: Groups, right, said yeah, amongst the group conversation man.
Speaker 2: Top ten fact top ten.
Speaker 1: And the reason.
Speaker 3: I mean, you can ask Kanye too, like, yeah, shout out to yay Man. Yeah, yeah, shut out to yay Man. I remember him saying that that Lords of the Underground was either six or seven on his top ten lists. Yeah, and I believe it to be so because when he did was the Pablo album.
Speaker 1: I believe it was. He got a Pablo album.
Speaker 3: Man, he gave us eight thousand dollars apiece. Like, I'm not saying that's a whole bunch of money, but just for saying he was the Lord Chief Rocket number one.
Speaker 1: He didn't sample it, he didn't here.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give you a couple bands each one of you because I'm saying something that I respected, that I love and it comes from y'all. I'm like, you know what I mean, Like, shout out to yay Man, because he didn't have to do that.
Speaker 2: He didn't have to even clear nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's one of the most genuine, generous and genuine guys in the music industry that I met. And I just like, you know, a lot of people try to fault people for their passion. His passion is just high, bro. And when you love what you love and believe what you believe, You're gonna fight for it. You can't knock a person for the fight just just to say I'm not getting in the fight with you or I'm not gonna help you fight. Don't knock him for the fight. He's fighting, you know what I'm saying. And that's what I don't like. Don't knock the man for the one because he's out here fighting.
Speaker 2: He definitely is.
Speaker 1: It's a war. We all out of war within myself, whether we presented or not, but we out here fighting to be better men than we were yesterday.
Speaker 3: And when he came, when he came in search of his deal man, he came to New Jersey.
Speaker 1: That's a fact. Another one went to Newark to get that root had you even see on his documentary he locked in the crib and locked in the You know, I came to Newark too. I did my last album five three four. I recorded it in guru crib. I recorded it two one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: I recorded it Guru man.
Speaker 1: Niggas don't know he the ya he the Yoda of rockaf Man Man, shout.
Speaker 3: Out the Guru man yo, and I'm gonna keep I'm gonna keep our thing with us, Guru, because I know you're not camera. Yes, but he asked me never to say it on camera, so I respect that. But I respect you one thousand a million percent.
Speaker 1: No, Gurlu, that's my guy, man and I Jay gave lots my brother. I love him to death. I wouldn't be here without him.
Speaker 2: No doubt.
Speaker 1: But oh he stole goo from me. My dog. Pay up, Jack, that's my dog, pay up, that's yo dog. Worry highway robbery for Google. Google you with me now, bro, ain't saying no to that. No, I'm in l A right now, blink. I call you back many.
Speaker 2: Times I've called Google too, Yo.
Speaker 1: Where you at goo? Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm in the south of France with the homie. Ye all right, cool?
Speaker 1: Hit you back Google in La with the homie Yo. So from Platinum Records, Toys Gold Albums, being the first platinum selling artists to win the Councilman seat like you said, man to now you have a children's book. Man, you can do it.
Speaker 2: All, bro Yo. With that being said, I want to take this time, man. I want to give you a gift.
Speaker 1: Bro. Yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Look man, so.
Speaker 3: Here you go, man, I know pay pay the boss of.
Speaker 1: The boss I ain't even open.
Speaker 2: You can crack it open. You crack it open.
Speaker 3: But but I just because it's something in there for you as well, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We got we got the color book.
Speaker 1: We got that book.
Speaker 2: That's the book, the children's book.
Speaker 1: That remember, even your adults need to know you can still do it all. That's right and that's it. That's just it.
Speaker 2: The adults reading it to their children as a reminder.
Speaker 3: I want to shout out my co author man Kyrie Williams, who wrote it with us.
Speaker 2: So yeah, crack this open.
Speaker 1: Man, You package is amazing, Bro. I love the presentation.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I wanted to make sure you deserve it. Though I know you smoked cigars. You might put other things.
Speaker 1: In the No, no, I do it the real way too, okay, but we got the nice look at caste for you and playing a realm. This is this is real real dip.
Speaker 2: But the cigar in it. I want you to understand that this is are in it right.
Speaker 3: This is this right here is a Rocky Patel right and cigar smokers know as a Rocky it's a disciple.
Speaker 2: You wanted the Rocks disciples.
Speaker 3: Bro, So I wanted to make sure that I was intentional about get you Rocky Patel.
Speaker 1: Rocky Patel, This might be my new favorite cigar now word, because all I know iskohebas.
Speaker 2: You know, that's the that's the that's the old throwback cooheba, you know.
Speaker 1: And we got you the mom yes, the t I was about to pull that out next. Yeah, some courage, Yeah yeah, yeah. The tea. You know, little green tea in the morning, don't hurt nobody.
Speaker 2: Why not green tea?
Speaker 1: Keep you mind your business too, Help you mind your business.
Speaker 2: Y'll help you mind your business. I'm telling you. So we got you the mug.
Speaker 3: Got courage on there, because man, to keep on going to do it after we're not doing records, Man.
Speaker 2: It takes courage.
Speaker 1: Got the puzzle this bro getting.
Speaker 2: For pay pay man. We got the cape in there for her? Oh man, because I hear she's a super girl.
Speaker 1: That's right. She does it all, bro, that's right, so we got to do it all. I love this man. This is amazing, bro, Like, this is amazing man. Congratulations on this man. The kids believe we need all the inspiration for the new youth.
Speaker 3: And the last thing, man, we want to make sure that she gets a coloring book too.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, appreciate it. Bro. I'm coloring too because I got a teacher. Don't go outside the line.
Speaker 2: Outside.
Speaker 1: There can't be my kid coloring outside the line.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: This is amazing, bro, Thank you so much. My brother, Kyrie irvings Man holding it down kids book. You just said to me you want to do some kiddy stuff to promote and inspire. I got the right crew for you to link with. We got it, enjoy man. Thank you man. So like I said, how did this even come about? What made you want to get into the You know, I'm gonna do the kid's book and give the kids some hope. I love it, man, We need it man.
Speaker 2: Like I can't front man. Kyrie, Kyrie Williams is the one who he was.
Speaker 3: He was pressuring me to I don't know pressure in the right world, but you know he was on me to make my memoirs because because you know, I don't know who that is in your life that that you just kind of throw things off and you talk to and even if you just just screaming that and he's just listening, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like we all need that sometime.
Speaker 3: And Kyrie was one of mine, you know, like I could just say whatever, and then at times he'd be like, yo, remember when you said such a I don't even remember.
Speaker 2: He'd be like, yo, you said such and such that was a.
Speaker 3: Jewel, Like yo, And he reminds me to live by my own words.
Speaker 2: That's right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Definitely need those friends to remind.
Speaker 2: The elbow in your you know.
Speaker 3: And he was the one that he said, Yo, I want you to you should write your memoirs because your stories is crazy and people don't know that's a fact.
Speaker 1: Just a couple of things you said sitting in here. I don't want to like yo, but bro, you got some stories, you got some history for real man.
Speaker 3: And I just said, you know what, man, I'm going I'm gonna get to it. I'm gonna get to it, you know, being busy, we always I'm gonna get to it. I'm gonna get to it, but tomorrow might not come right. So he said, you know what, do you mind if I.
Speaker 2: Push the book along. I'm gonna call you and.
Speaker 3: Whatever I need from you, can you give it to me. I'm like yeah, he said, all right, So we're gonna start with a children's book. I'm gonna start with stories, and I'm gonna make it palatable for young people. So talk about your failures as a child.
Speaker 2: In that book.
Speaker 3: It talks about me running for school counsel and not winning the first year. It talks about me going out for the baseball team and not making it the first year. It talks about falling and getting up and brushing yourself off. And he pushed me to do that, man, And I'm forever great, you know, grateful to him for that, because this book is doing amazing and it's not something that we looked to happen.
Speaker 1: That's the ones that work. Man. It's so crazy. It's like that in music, bro, think about it. How many times you recorded a song and in your mind you like, this's the one, and then they driving me back walk and then the record You'll be like, I don't know, it's cool and people be like that's my joy. You'd be like what.
Speaker 3: And that's happened with Funky Child chief rocker Away K Deaf, who produced those records, who's from Jersey as well. He tried to fast forward past those and and myself was like, yo, well go back to those.
Speaker 2: It's like, y'a don't want those, Yo, they became too big.
Speaker 1: No way that I got a record like that round here. Just walked in the studio just like, what the hell is that? He's like, man, it's none, that's something I'm just playing with. You don't want that, And I'm like, no, put that beat on right, and it became around here, so I know exactly. For some producers will be like they be like us artists not ain't and I don't know, and then we hear and be like, no, that's the one right then the one they like, Yo, this is the one I made for you. You like, I don't like that one. Yeah, I made this, Yeah, that one like, I don't really like the one you made for me. So when mainstream visibility slowed up after the early nineties, what kept the Lord's active touring internationally? Like all that stuff? Besides music like af did y'all stay inspired to even even keep going?
Speaker 2: Lord jazz is the glue between Lords and the underground.
Speaker 1: I DJ I gotta pull up on you in Miami. Get some of the alumas. He got almas, he don't got crazy. He got that almos. Back in the day, we used to play with peeling off your facts that's fact he got the real glue.
Speaker 3: Gazz is the centerpiece of our group because when me and Funk as MC started to grow as men and have different ideologies.
Speaker 2: And you know what I mean, and ideas, Lord.
Speaker 3: Jazz was like, oh, this is a covenant, you know, this is blood brothers. Like these two are my brothers. I don't care if I don't like them. Sometimes we vow to each other that we would never break up. You know that Laws of the Underground as a group is bigger than anything that we ever did.
Speaker 2: Separately and outside of each other.
Speaker 3: So collectively we have things that we've done with each other that we have done with no other person in the world. Like Lord Jazz has been around us more than he's been around his real brothers.
Speaker 2: I've been around.
Speaker 3: Lord Jazz and Funky Man more than I've been around my sister and my brother, you know what I mean. So they are my family, and I think that that's what kept Laws of the Underground together is realizing that we are more than just two MC's and the DJ family.
Speaker 1: That's dope, man, And I gotta definitely now gotta put y'all on the list because I never thought about that when I think about rap groups, groups break up. It's only I only had two groups that never broke up, but now it's three.
Speaker 2: We never broke.
Speaker 1: Lords of the Underground now the Locks, Smith and Western.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out to Smith and Western too.
Speaker 1: All the other groups, even run DMC, broke.
Speaker 2: Up and we modeled ourselves.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying, all groups, even the Vengers broke up. Ye, all groups. So like when you trans transition, like pivot into running the campaign and running for counselmen, Like, did you face any skepticism from any voters or anything like that from the yo, he's a rapper, he can't do this.
Speaker 3: Most definitely, Like, yeah, people did not believe. I don't even think and this is not a dis to Mace, right, but I think that when Mace became a reverend, a lot of people even he just trying to get some money. He ain't making records no more. I think people felt like that about me.
Speaker 2: Like, ah, he ain't doing it no more. So he trying to get some.
Speaker 3: A job, you know, And that's just not the case. I thought, because I was popular in my city, that I was still popular with the youth at the time, that this would be a no brain up. And when I first ran eight years ago, I lost, you know, I lost, you know, and the.
Speaker 2: Seniors like, he just, what's that rapper boy that's running? What's that rapper boy that was running from South Longe Avenue in nineteenth Street? They got that rapper boy running?
Speaker 3: And I had to prove to them that I wasn't just a rapper boy.
Speaker 2: I told him, like, man, I am what you guys prayed for in the neighborhood. Y'all pray for our young people to make it out. I am that prayer answer.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So how you in front of me? And this is how I used to talk to them.
Speaker 1: How you in front of me?
Speaker 2: Elder?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 2: Like I am what it looks like, a hip hop grown up that made it survived, And now I'm asking to govern where I grew up at, Like, how.
Speaker 1: Can you front on that? There's a lot of these old people stuck in their ways? And then I get it.
Speaker 2: I definitely get it.
Speaker 3: And you know, I really had a tough time, but me just showing them just being consistent and having a track record. Just like you said you didn't know a lot of things. There are a lot of people who didn't know a lot of things that that was because of me in.
Speaker 1: This city community.
Speaker 3: And then when they started to realize, wait a minute, he did that. Oh he did that because I wasn't asking for the fame. I had rap to make me famous, that's right. I wasn't looking for the community to make me famous.
Speaker 1: Of course, you know, we've been famous in the community since she was a jit. Right, that's not nothing new. That's when we first get famed. That's what it does. Walk world, Why fans, it's the neighborhood thing. You're like, wait a minute, I did this something live over here? What if I go over there?
Speaker 2: Right? If I go over here, yeah, zoo that shine.
Speaker 1: That's amazing man Like, But what was the toughest adjustment? You were saying moving from stage to the city councils.
Speaker 2: The toughest adjustment.
Speaker 3: And I think I kind of got it down, but it's still hard sometimes.
Speaker 2: Is I had to build my patience, you know, I get people come to the council meetings like that's do nothing.
Speaker 3: He ain't do nothing, he nothing, he ain't doing all he yo, no way, I mean I'm being a buck with you like yo, you know, And that's why. But one of my mentors said, keep the receipts of all the work you do, so they can say all of that.
Speaker 1: But we got receipts, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And I think it's the patience, you know, the name calling nothing, because you wouldn't say none of that to me if I was and.
Speaker 2: Councilmen in the streets.
Speaker 1: That's right, you would not know.
Speaker 3: I know you wouldn't you man?
Speaker 2: And you know so.
Speaker 3: The being patient, with the name calling, the disrespect, the talking about your family, the all of that type of stuff. I had to get used to that, and it's it's very hard to get used to.
Speaker 1: Still.
Speaker 3: I learned how to endure, but it's still hard to get used to now.
Speaker 2: That it's just a boxer can't complain about being a boxer.
Speaker 3: Right when he and a ring at me, he's hitting me.
Speaker 2: You know he's a boxer.
Speaker 1: You chose this, and I believe, like just hearing you say it, I think my belief would be I think they put that there to test us because we are the minorities. That's the aggressor, they say, so if we're gonna think, you know what, they remember being a kid, you always get physical, you always want to get violent. What about using your words? How you let words hurt you? He didn't touch you, So that's what that sounds like. They want to push them buttons to see how far or how patient you really have. And me, I had this conversation with one of my homies from the hood about kids that grow up with fathers and kids that don't like I know me looking at how I raised my children, that that's something that I missed out on. Not have your father president too. And I look at all my friends that grew up with their father They all have patience and I don't because I was raised by a woman. What a woman gonna do everything is fuck? What the fuck you playing with? What's you saying I'm gonna slap that bad? So you're getting that Mom's coming to crist They think I'm playing with this. I'm not sending them no more. So your attitude grows off that. And I feel like my friends who grew up with fathers, like even my son, I taught him something I didn't have. I didn't have patience, but I made sure he will that you not gonna overreact and jump off the ledge for things that you could just sit there and be like man, ain't that serious.
Speaker 3: That's facts, man, I believe that. You know, Raising my children with their mom is totally different because I didn't have that. I think my mom is one of the strongest people in the world.
Speaker 1: Fact, but she couldn't.
Speaker 2: She couldn't show me how to.
Speaker 1: Be a man. No one woman. We can't show a woman how to be a woman, exactly. Man, that's a fact.
Speaker 3: And that's why I always looked for mentor the things that I wanted to become in life. I looked for those mentors, and now I wind up becoming that person that I used to look for, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's dope, man.
Speaker 2: And I try to give that to my I give it. I don't try.
Speaker 3: I give that to my my children. Whether they accept it or not is another thing they do. They do trust me.
Speaker 1: I always tell my wife, I say, Yo, we don't know our kid when they leave our presence, we don't know them. All we could do is hope they took all the jewels and process them and interpreting them into their life. But when to they leave that house. I don't know what your kid out there doing talking lot. I remember seeing a TikTok of my son and he out there like yo, bring the right, bring the what. When you started talking like that, he didn't even let me follow him on TikTok because he didn't want me to.
Speaker 2: See who he really was, right right, right, really was.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: All we can do, man is give them, give them the ingredients, give them the tools, and hope they mow themselves and become that dish that the world appreciates you.
Speaker 1: That's the fact, man, I'm so appreciative that everything you've done, everything you're doing, man, you keeping it going and you're giving guys like me hope that you know, it's still other chapters that you can still do to give back because like you say, even with Freeway, I love what Freeway doing out there with the kids, you know what I mean. He do the schools, he go talk to the community. He got the thing now where he doing. If you lost someone and need to fit and get that off your chance, he got the prayer channel with you could come and kick away and talk about ups and downs. You know, I just and I tell them I love that that you're doing it, man, because to turn your pain into passion is the beauty of life to me. Man, to take something that was supposed to destroy you and be triumphanus.
Speaker 2: I think too, Bligua. It's like, what's really the end? All?
Speaker 1: Be?
Speaker 2: All right? What I mean by that is like we have this destination that we seeking right, all of us. You know, I want to make it out the hood. And the time I go to schools, how many of y'all want to make it out the hood?
Speaker 3: Everybody raise their head, right, we want to make it to this destination, you know, like the highway of life to me is like you know, your eyes are like the headlights. We see it two hundred feet in front of us.
Speaker 2: That's when we're not moving.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: When you move and.
Speaker 3: You see another two hundred feet, you move a little more, you see another. You start seeing on ramps and off ramps that you couldn't notice off in the right right, and you start to if you get off of some of those on ramps and all frames, you start to be interested in things that you didn't even know that you would be interested in that even.
Speaker 1: While you headed towards your destination, you figure out I like that, I like this. I would have never told you I like.
Speaker 2: Right right, And then when you let's say fast forward.
Speaker 3: You make it to your destination and you get there and you realize.
Speaker 2: Damn, this ain't even I want to be. But it's more about the journey.
Speaker 3: Because the journey that made you and allowed you to get it to your destination, we don't even really want to be that when we get we want to be everything that it made us to get there.
Speaker 1: That's a fact. Like to me, I don't think I have an end destination.
Speaker 2: That's smart, And I wouldn't have said that that smart years ago.
Speaker 1: That is very don't. I just want to keep going till I can't go no more. I want to inspire till I can inspire no more. And and and that's it because the end I feel like is the end, you know what I mean? Like, so I don't want the end go Hell no, I'm.
Speaker 3: Glad you said that too, though, Like that you said you want to keep inspiring and you can't inspire no more because I think we're in an influenced stage, right.
Speaker 1: Everybody, everybody, and they not influencing nothing, Sandwich. I don't want to influenced me how to change my life.
Speaker 3: Influence is powerful, but it ain't. It ain't really that thing. What you said is that thing inspiration, because when you inspired by somebody, you inspirit with it.
Speaker 1: That's right, you know what I'm saying. Believe you know you can, man, That's what. That's what made me gravitate to Jazz, Zoe and Jay because they from my neighborhood and I see them with the things that I dream about and it's like, if they can do it, I can do it too. And that inspiration has been what drove me my whole life. Is like to watch your friends accomplished and it's like, man, you did it, I could do it too. What world? What steps you took? Then you could share tips, knowledge and game and help each other climb instead of that's how you get out the batton, instead of pushing your homie back in the battery. So that's my thing, and I hope I exude that to the people when they see me, speak to me, meet me, listen to me, like, I hope they get some type of inspiration to know, yo, I can do that too, man, Like you know, that's what made me do this because everybody was kicking the homie down or talking about the chicks or the crimes they come in and it's like, yo, famly all of us have more to us than just negativity. I have way more positive things in my life than negative things. And I don't think the people want to heal a negative. You could turn on the news and watch negativity all day. All you gotta do is watch the news you want to hear some negative.
Speaker 3: So Moman is a movement, not a movement unless it's moving forward, man, not moving back with that.
Speaker 1: That's a fact, man. So like with this being said, right, hip hop began as an anti establishment. How did you or how do you navigate being inside the government while staying rooted as a coach?
Speaker 3: You know, I used to hate politicians like all hip hop, even when I first got in my term. Shout out to Mayor Baraka.
Speaker 1: Man, that's right, they're holding it down.
Speaker 2: He's an artist who believes right.
Speaker 3: But I used to say to him and my team, I ain't no politician, man, I'm just a dude that got elected. I'm right, And the man was like, you gotta stop saying you you're not a politician.
Speaker 1: You in it.
Speaker 3: Everything around us is politics, right, you know, it's just how you navigated. And he created a team of people who fought for the people.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So I believe that who you are is what he was talking about, is the same thing Pac was talking about.
Speaker 2: We need to see at the table.
Speaker 3: And if we don't get to see at the table, we got enough tools to build one.
Speaker 2: Right, So when we get at the table, now do the things that you said you would do when you weren't at that table.
Speaker 1: Yes. Right.
Speaker 3: And one of the things that I notice is that people don't. They talk, but they.
Speaker 2: Don't understand until they get behind this table. Man, until they get into any job that they say.
Speaker 3: That, oh I'll do this, I'll do that. It look easy, but it's not. Then I'll tell you this politics stuff is not easy.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: But why do I keep doing it? I keep doing it for the people.
Speaker 1: That's right, And I don't like the people that be Like if it was me or if I get there, I could do this. If you wouldn't do nothing, you would do the same thing you're doing right now, just talking because if you really was about it, you would be doing it. So do it. That's right. Ain't no. If like my mom said, if it was a fifth we all be drunk. And now I'm sobered in the job. So what we're doing, what it's.
Speaker 2: Straight and easy to get elected.
Speaker 3: Man, There's so many different processes, there's so many real things that you gotta deal with.
Speaker 2: I'm dressing a soup right now.
Speaker 3: I told I told Kyrie, who came with me today, I was like, I probably won the award suit today. But I'm literally coming out of a council meeting, a council meeting where we're talking about eighty million dollars and eight million dollars on this.
Speaker 2: Project and buying your new garbage trucks because.
Speaker 1: Of twenty of them broke down.
Speaker 3: And you know what I mean, just dealing with the business of the city and shout out to my council colleagues who always there for me to help me walk that that walk.
Speaker 2: But it's not an.
Speaker 1: Easy thing, no man.
Speaker 3: And I know you've been in meetings or been around meetings where they talking about real money.
Speaker 2: You know that they're no playing around, no play can't man's lives and I got city lives, ain't no playing around.
Speaker 3: Like I'm not the I'm not the politician because I'm hip hop and I got elected and now I'm playing.
Speaker 1: I gotta get the work I gotta right. I really want to make change, man, that's dope. So, like, I know you're running for re election.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, re election too. I'm twenty six man.
Speaker 3: May twelfth is the re election man and the whole Team Baraka.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Team Baraka.
Speaker 3: We're rocking with the mayor, Mayor Raj Baraka again man and team Baraka. You know, uh that is myself, Councilman Duprey, Kelly do it all as some of y'all, Councilwoman, the Fragrance of the Council, Louis Scott, Rowntree, the President of the council, c Lawrence Crump, south Ford Councilman Patrick Council. You got our North Fork Councilman, Abel Rainbows.
Speaker 2: You got who else we got? We got Mike Silva down in the east Ward.
Speaker 3: We got Quintana running for at large and that's our team Brocca.
Speaker 2: Man, oh excuse me.
Speaker 3: And then we got our Muslim, our Muslima's sister, you know, miss Bay, Councilwoman Bay Amina Bay. So that's our team man, that's what we're rocking with in Newark.
Speaker 1: That's right, man. Make sure y'all get out there and vote what you said May twelfth, Every vote count, man, And if you want to change your community, you got to go out there and be the voice of the community. That's right, that's a fact, man. I vote matter. Don't let them tell you that. Don't tell them again. Bleave matter. Even if they want you to show y'all, d show it because it matters. It matters now if you win the reelection? Right when when when Blae, when when you were not? Like I said, when when when? See to give me tongue to when you win the reelection? What impact do you want to be measured by? Ten years from now?
Speaker 3: Father, ten years from now, I want to I want them to say, this is a young man who grew up in his city, went on to have a success in entertainment, came back to his city, the same soiler that birthed him, and we planted in the saw you and did things to make it better than when he left it.
Speaker 1: That's dope, man. What's next for you? Coming up next? So you want the people to know besides me? May twelfth, get out there, vote, get your butt, your ass, and behind your feet your mouth. I don't care whatever. Vote what's next? For money?
Speaker 3: Before I say what's next, I want to thank everybody who goes out there and campaigns with the people that you don't see.
Speaker 1: I see them because I ride through the council places and all that. I'm more paid attention to it when I moved to Florida because it's a red steak. So you know, I started paying attention to things that I took for granted being in New Yorker, in the blue state. My whole life got you that you things you you can do that they like, oh you can't do that here, You're like since win since he said that? Like, So I pay attention to the they be out there.
Speaker 2: Were ironic we in that building word up right, that's.
Speaker 1: Dope man, that's fire man. So what's next for the people to expect from my guys the movement?
Speaker 2: Can we what's next for me? I just did a deal. Sometime I don't like saying it until it's done. But the deal is done.
Speaker 3: But what's next is you know, vertical movies are the next thing. They're worth eight point eight billion dollars. I just did a deal me my man, Jimbo Alexander, Jim Alexander. We go into pre production for a vertical movie that we got called The Shaker Unit that is coming up.
Speaker 1: We probably go.
Speaker 3: Into production, probably in April, pre production in April, then probably after the election, we go into principal photography, micro movies, vertical movies.
Speaker 2: It's the big thing.
Speaker 1: With that being said, do a vertical micro cube, shake rectang right movie of your life, bro, Because to come from what you did accomplishments the motivation from some of these guys like come on the story about two past, his music is inspirational for you to sit there and say he gave you inspiration, Like then Molly Marl looks all for nest Or, Bro. Your story, that's box office man. Then they'll be changing your neighborhood, your roots. That's box office bro.
Speaker 3: If you look at TikTok video, if you go back to a laws, that underground video called TikTok see we had tiktokk world. If you see me jumping the gate running from the police, that's me depicting me running from a council person in my neighborhood who became one of my mentors, Ron Rice, Me depicting running from him. And now I am the councilman in that neighborhood. That's crazy life for man.
Speaker 1: Life repeats itself and I always say that. Man, that's the one thing about living it. We love it and I appreciate it. Man, I thank you for coming following my brother. You much love that everything. Like I said, get out there and vote May twelfth, we're gonna re elect my god. Do it all for city councilmen. And when you got time with your kids, make sure you download that book you can do it all. We go from rapper author the Counselman. Don't stop there, man, You kids better know you can do anything. Man, stay silid.
Speaker 3: And on May thirteenth, about that, dude, sir, let's go, my gee love bro.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite shows app and you can follow me on any social media platform under the name Memphis Bleak. You see anybody fraud in flagg them