Speaker 1: Now really.
Speaker 2: Really now really hello, and welcome to Really Know Really with Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden. Remind you that if you subscribe to our show, it will prove that you really know, really love us. And speaking of love, have you ever wondered if your dog truly loves you?
Speaker 3: A recent cover story.
Speaker 2: Of Newsweek magazine posed that very question and revealed that there is now scientific research that provides an answer. Really, no, really, but how can science really prove what your dog feels about you?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Fascinated by the scientific inquiry, we turned to doctor Gregory Burns, the Distinguished Professor of Neuroeconomics at Emory University and the scientist who conducted the actual love research, even going so far as to train dogs to be reliable subjects using MRIs to discover what's really going on in their little doggie brains.
Speaker 3: He's got the answer to does your dog truly love you?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: Pet parents, brace yourselves because you're about to learn the truth. Now here's Jesson and Peter.
Speaker 5: We know each other a long time. Tell me definitively do I love you?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 4: I think you love me?
Speaker 1: But how would you prove it?
Speaker 4: How do you know that I prove it if a kidney. If I need a kidney, M.
Speaker 1: I really like you.
Speaker 4: If I need a kidney and you stepped the kidneys and you stepped the night before, I'm not then, but I think you. I think you.
Speaker 7: We've been through enough stuff together. And but is that what it is or is it honestly? So yeah, there's like, Okay, you asked me for something, I do it for. You need a favor, I do it.
Speaker 5: You have you have trouble, I commiserate, We sympathize with each other, we have we laugh together.
Speaker 3: We have.
Speaker 5: Got how But what I'm asking scientifically, if a scientist had to answer the question, does Jason loved Peter, I don't know how they will? Well you get that yet here we are talking about the dog.
Speaker 4: Okay, but I think the easier thing here and we'll see it. And I love this guy. I ended up watching what he's doing now and also know we know how he did these studies. So we're going to share it with everybody about that because everybody listening as a dog. But why don't you tell I know you have a story about a dog you were well.
Speaker 5: You know you're talking about a dog in effect, So I did a movie years ago that Richard Gear started and produced called Hachi, and it is based on a true story that happened in Japan with a dog named Hachiko, where Hotchiko's owner would walk with Hachiko or Hachi to the train station every day so that he would go off to work and the dog would make its way home. And then the dog must have learned what time the train back from work would come and he would walk back to the station to greet his owner every day. Well, after years of doing this, apparently the owner went to the train in the morning, Hotchiko walked with him went back home, but the guy died while he was at work, so Hachiko went back to the train station. The owner never gets off the train, and the story is that Hachiko never left the trains, that he waited literally for the rest of his life for his owner to come off the train. And in Japan this story is told and with reverence, and there's a statue Pochigo because he's become a symbol of true love and loyalty.
Speaker 1: So we did the American version of that story. I got to work with Lilah.
Speaker 5: By the way, one of the hot yeah, one of one of the dogs that played HATCHI my first day in the trailer, the makeup gals looked at the call sheet and went, oh, you're working with Lila.
Speaker 1: And I said, is Lilah good?
Speaker 5: And they, with a straight face, they said, she's the Meryl Streep of Ducks.
Speaker 1: And you know what, she was very good. She gave, she gave something.
Speaker 5: But I always was wondering, you know, not the not the I don't want to be that guy.
Speaker 1: But I go, yeah, he's living.
Speaker 5: The dog is living at the train station because everyone that knew the dog and the guy on day one is going, oh, he doesn't know. So it's pets and cuddles and a treat and a thing and every and now the dog's there tomorrow. So by in three days, the whole train station is feeding this dog, watering this dog, petting this dog.
Speaker 1: Giving it toys to play. I mean, why would it go home? Why?
Speaker 4: By the way, it's funny. I have some insight into dogs. I understand that Hanky was waiting for the movie to break. Even dogs are fascinating to me. And and this your question of how can you tell if the dog is truly in love with you? Right, let's get let's get doctor Burns.
Speaker 1: Let me introduce this fine gentleman to you all.
Speaker 5: Doctor Gregory Burns is the Distinguished Professor, not just you know, distinger, the associate the underling Distinguished Professor of Neuroeconomics at Emory University.
Speaker 1: He directs the Center for Neuropolicy.
Speaker 5: He has received numerous grants from the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, Department of Defense, and he's published over seventy peer reviewed original research articles, many relating to his work with dogs. He is a New York Times bestselling author of How Dogs Love Us a neuroscientist and his adopted dog decode the canine brain. And he's very into dogs. He's got another book, What It's Like to Be a Dog. He's also he's doing.
Speaker 4: A lot of it. If you're watching this on YouTube. Has the coolest den of anybody we've interviewed. Oh and there's a dog, your newer dog? Is that the newer dog?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: No, that's Cali. She's the original.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 8: Well she was the first MRI dog.
Speaker 1: So let's talk.
Speaker 4: Let's talk. Can we by the way, yeah heard the dog.
Speaker 5: The dog got up to say hello. You didn't actually we always do this. We seg right in without saying hello, welcome to the show. It's lovely to meet you. That's another's two. Oh, there's two, gorgeous score. Oh that's ahead. I actually thought I was seeing the head and arms of a primate on the floor for a second.
Speaker 1: Ears.
Speaker 4: So, doctor Burns, can you run us through the background of that of what stimulated this entire study, the article of the MRIs et cetera.
Speaker 6: Oh, sure, so as I. I mean, the fact of it is is that for most of my career I used to study humans and put people in MRI scanners to see how people think and how they make decisions. And that's what field of neuroeconomics is about. And yes I still carry that title just because I have nothing better to describe myself with. And and what happened was this was back in twenty eleven, and if you think way back, what was happening in two thousand and eleven. What happened was that there was this mission to go after bin Laden, remember, and.
Speaker 8: You know that's kind of its only thing.
Speaker 6: But me being a dog person, what captured my interest was the fact that there was a dog on that mission, and there was a lot of press about it, and I saw these pictures of dogs in the military, and I didn't know anything about military dogs, but I saw these pictures of dogs being trained to jump out of helicopters, and I thought, you know, me being an MRI guy, and if you've had an MRI, and I'm guessing, because we're all of a certain age, everyone here has had an MRI.
Speaker 8: You know what they sound like.
Speaker 6: They're pretty unpleasant, they're pretty loud, And so I thought, wow, you know, if a dog can jump out of a helicopter, then why don't we train dogs to go an MRI scanner so we can see what they're thinking.
Speaker 8: And that really was the beginning of it. And as I sometimes.
Speaker 6: Tell people, it was also a good excuse to take my dog to work every day.
Speaker 4: Yeah wow, so you did. What did your studies yield that blew your mind? As far as the dogs truly loving us and having feelings and emotions.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I mean you have to realize when we started the project, really, you know, the dog brain was just kind of a an unwritten map. I mean, nobody had really looked at how it's organized. You know, we know a lot about the human brain. We know a lot about other primates because they're similar to us, and we know about you know, smaller animals like mice and rats. But honestly, it was just kind of initially just going out exploring, and so we started with the easiest, simplest, dumb experiments we could think of. I mean, one, we had to prove that we could train dogs to hold still long enough to even get good images that we could analyze. And so once we did that, then we just kind of proceeded systematically, first with their reward system. And when we talk about reward systems in brains, it turns out that you know, for mammals, we're all pretty similar because you can look at a brain and say, okay, that's that part of the brain. This is the reward center. We know where it's located. We know that that's where dopamine exerts most of its actions. And so then what we could set out to do then is seeing the dog, Okay, well what activates it the most? So we know in people kind of how it works, We know what motivates people kind of the basic primary rewards, things like food and water born money, and yeah, you know, all these things have been done in.
Speaker 4: The scanners to people.
Speaker 5: I just wondered, you know, how do you present that to your colleagues the first time? You know what I think we should try, because you know what we've done, food and water.
Speaker 1: The next thing comes to my mind.
Speaker 4: I slid it in, didn't he got right behind by the way? Not wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no never.
Speaker 4: I did not charge no judgment.
Speaker 1: You didn't hear me ring a buzzer. I just noted it. That wouldn't you die?
Speaker 4: Right now? We said the number one thing dogs love?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So so all right, so you know what brings our bell? Jay? You? So what is it? What is in dogs? You were able to kind of isolate? That was interesting to you.
Speaker 8: Well, so we started with kind of the obvious things.
Speaker 6: So initially we start with food, and in fact, that's how we trained the dogs in the first place to go in the scanner, reward them with food. Although I'll tell you early on we noted that a lot of the dogs that we started training didn't really seem to care as much about the food as the actual just interaction with with their person and just kind of the praise and just the whole activity itself. And that's that's how we did all the training, we just turned it into a big game for the dogs. So after we showed that we could kind of hold up a treat and then we could see the reward center of the dogs light up, then we started doing kind of more subtle things. Then we just did things like okay, well just praise the dog, you know, say good girl, good boy, And what does that do. Well, it turns out it does the same thing. So here we have these dogs who most people kind of assume just did what they did because at the end of the day, yeah, we feed them, we house them, and you know, we take care of them. And you know, a lot of scientists for many years kind of thought that the biggest trick that dogs did in becoming dogs was getting us to take care of them. That was their evolutionary breakthrough, right, But it turns out it's a it's a bit more interesting and more complex than that, because you know, we found that for most of the dogs, this kind of when you offer food and praise, they're they're pretty much equally activating to the dog's reward center. And then in some dogs, in fact, the praise was even more activating. And so how do you explain that and that The simplest answer is, you know, they just have social rewards, just very much like people do. You know everyone likes praise, you know, everyone likes to be told they're doing a good.
Speaker 8: Job, and you know dogs are the same.
Speaker 5: Does that and I guess this is the essential question that we're asking in this episode. Does that equate to a true love for the person giving it to them? Like if I'm working for a director that I admire and he goes, oh, that was a great take. That was such a great scene, what a great job. I'm sure I'm getting the dopamine hit, but it doesn't mean I love this person.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: So how do we or do we know at this point that you can actually take that reaction and equate it to what we think of as love.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I get I get this a lot, and it reminds me I once did. I once did did a morning show when all these results came out and the host was very very well meaning, uh, And I kind of knew what she was expecting me to say, because she said to me at one point, well, gee, doctor Burns, so does my dog really love me? And I kind of stupidly just answered what I was thinking at the moment, and I said, gee, I don't know you and I don't know your dog, how should I know?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 1: Love?
Speaker 4: See now I love you. I can actually say that, Well.
Speaker 8: Now you know me?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: Uh So, Jason, It's it's this, this is a hard question, and you were alluding to it in the introduction.
Speaker 8: It's like, how do you know anybody loves you?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 6: Is it because of what they say? Mm hmm uh maybe? But you know, I mean people, people are good at you.
Speaker 8: Know, acting, you know. Ah, now I would say that dogs are not actors. I don't think so. I mean your experience is not bonding right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Uh So, in many ways, I think it's easier for us as humans to read their actions and interpret them at face value. So and I don't think you need an MRI for this. You know, most most dog owners and dog lovers you know, will tell me.
Speaker 8: It's like, well, gee, you just proved what what I've.
Speaker 6: Known all along, and the best way I can I can kind of conceptualize this in terms of love. And because I've been asked like, what's your definition of love? So we have to acknowledge that that word does not really capture all the nuances of it. We apply it in so many different ways and in so many different types of love. You know, whether it's romantic love, parental, brotherly love, friendship. The word applies to all the circumstances. And so my view is that if we take kind of a dog version of it, however we define it, then I.
Speaker 8: Think it's easy to recognize.
Speaker 6: And it is easy to recognize if you say love is non transactional, meaning it's not dependent on something else. It's not dependent on the fact that I feed the dogs or do anything else. It's just that they want to be with me or whoever. And if they come up and they just want to be around you, hey, I'll take that as love.
Speaker 1: So that for me, that begs two questions. And I'll use my.
Speaker 5: Departed dog, Sandy as an example. So when I would see Sandy at the end of the day, if I come home from work, she would do what I would expect to dog it is crazy about me to do.
Speaker 1: She'd get very excited. She couldn't get on me enough.
Speaker 5: You know, she's rubbing her whole body, tail is going, the licks are happening. She's I mean, this is the most effusive dog. Because Daddy came home. Now, if the doorbell rang and Peter was at the door, she would pretty much exhibit the same behavior with him. And so is is it that I guess what I'm asking is, does she love me less because she seems to love him too? Or is it just that as a pack animal and interacting with humans that she knows, well, this is someone who will take care of me. This is not anybody that's gonna harm me. I'm gonna go check this out. Is she just excited? What? What when you see a dog reacting similarly to a new person, should we read anything into that?
Speaker 8: Well, this is a Jason problem, not a Sandy problem.
Speaker 1: You know what? Now suddenly.
Speaker 4: Just he just he's just off the game.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm going to know all these guys at the end of the thirty five years I've known you, and now I can start saying, I think it's a yeah, I never sought to do that.
Speaker 1: But what do you what do you mean by that? Seriously?
Speaker 6: I think dogs are promiscuous, to be honest, I got you, I got you. I mean that's how they are. I mean not obviously not all dogs are that way, and I can think of many examples who aren't. But I mean, they're happy to be around people. And if it doesn't lessen you know, her love for you, that you know she likes someone else. So what as I said, they're promiscuous. I mean, we can get into their reproductive habits and that will make even more sense. But and I think I think actually all of these things are tied together. Their biology is is a certain way and it's different than ours, so the relationships that they form are going to be different. But I do think that in many cases they're unconditional. They're not They're doing it because they enjoy it, not because we feed them.
Speaker 8: So I think that's what's important, right.
Speaker 1: But that's what leads me to the other question.
Speaker 5: And then I know you have a lot of questions, But this is another one that I think was very specific to me that I'd never seen before. So my mom, when she was alive, you know, came to visit a couple of times. We usually go to her, but.
Speaker 1: She came a couple times to our house.
Speaker 5: And my mother was never the dog would never see my mother be anything but effusive to me. My mother was effusive to the dog, but my dog from the minute my mother stepped in the house, would not be in the same room as my mother, just wouldn't do it no matter what. If we called her in for a treat and she saw my mom in the room, she wouldn't stay in the room. And I thought, what is it that she knows that this woman that either I have affection for her, or this woman has a higher status than me, or I couldn't figure out what she's picking up on. My mom wasn't sick, because I know dogs can smell illness sometimes and that might have pushed her away.
Speaker 1: But that was one of the conundrums.
Speaker 5: Do you have any I'm asking you to be almost a dogs like collegies at this point, but do you have any inside or have you ever witnessed anything like that before?
Speaker 8: I have.
Speaker 6: The last of that to describe this situation since you asked so. When when we started the project, you know, we were always we were looking for dog volunteers or people to volunteer with their dogs, and and of course many people volunteered, and we would develop kind of an audition tryout process to see which dogs might be suitable for MRI training. And one of the students, I mean the students in my lap kind of were always first of mine, and oftentimes their dogs turned out to be unsuitable because they were too anxious, they didn't like the noise for all sorts of reasons. Although we had one dog who basically we tried to get through the process and uh, his owner she came to me one day and she says, I don't, I don't think he can do it. And I said, I asked her why, and she she didn't really want to give me the answer, but then she finally said.
Speaker 8: Well, he's a.
Speaker 3: H M.
Speaker 6: His owner she came to me one day, he says, I don't, I don't think he can do it. And I said, I asked her why, and she she didn't really want to give me the answer, but then she finally said, well he's a racist m.
Speaker 4: M okay, wow wow.
Speaker 6: Uh, well, i'd bean basically he was. He had been adopted from the shelter. We don't know anything about his background, but he could not stand to be around African American people.
Speaker 8: Oh my, which was a problem because.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, people have all while there's work in our MRI environment, and and he would just go off the handle and become aggressive when he wasn't normally, so uh, So the point of the story is that that we don't know what association's dogs form, you know, before you know, we get them, or even after we get them. We don't know kind of what clicks in their head. But sometimes they make these associations for reasons only they know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, maybe your dog. Maybe Sandy overheard you talking about how your mother steals silver work from restaurants. So there's some salt check saw checkers, sweet and Low. When Jason's mom passed, she left them two million dollars worth of sweet of loan that she had taken from restaurants.
Speaker 5: Now, you know what, in thinking about this, you know what it might be because I don't know if Sandy ever saw any other person with red hair.
Speaker 4: Some of our dogs. There are certain people, no matter what you did, they just didn't just didn't like them. There's certain people we don't just like and you know it's not rational. And you don't even know what it is about your history before you go, because the books are fascinating, but you're really fascinating. I watched where you've gone, not just the dogs, but during COVID that you moved, you uprooted your family, you moved remotely to a farm, which you'd never done before, which makes me laugh. It's like me and a farm gone, what are we doing here? Which end is up? And you got these cows. I saw that the cows know who you are once they got comfortable with you. The cows are lying there and you're scratching them. And so we had a guy on who has who works at an alligator farming flord, and he's got these alligators crawling all over them and petting them, and he says, they're not going to bite me. I've done this twenty thousand times. And so if I got that wrong, this prehistoric looking evil that I'm watching in the guys, it's scratching, scratching its head, and I'm seeing cows lying with you, not saying that they've evolved the same way. It made me really sad in how we get stuff wrong with animals. So I let you address it where you're at with that now, because apparently you love these cows and they love you. If you see these videos, and you should, it'll blow your mind. They lie down and present present so that you can scratch their belly. Was that a shock for you? It is?
Speaker 6: And and and thanks for that because I want to give a plug for the book which is coming out, so right there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, cow puppy, Cow puppy.
Speaker 5: By the way, ladies and gentlemen, hel puppy can't forget it is.
Speaker 6: It is a shock in some ways. But now the more the more animals that I get to know, you you start to see that there are commonalities. You know, that all animals have this capacity to pretty much get along with at least their own species, and tabarying degrees other species too. The alligator surprises me a little bit because I mean, you know, they're old. They're really old, right, those animals, but they do you know, but then again, they do live together, right, so they have some kind of social structure in some sense. They don't eat each other typically, and so then you realize it's like wow, I mean, all these animals out there have these very complicated social structures, and not only that, they have the capacity I think built in forgetting enjoyment and some kind of reward out of it. Because you know, that's how evolution works, you know, it kind of links these things that are so important for survival to our reward systems. And so yeah, so I kind of fell into this world of farming. I got these little cows to help me manage pass masters, and then I ended up falling in love with them because they have very dog like traits, except it's it's like, you know, take your your most anxious, kind of nervous dog, and you know, scale it up to be about four hundred pounds and then you've got a cow kind of So it takes a little bit of work, and they reciprocate in ways that it kind of makes you like you have to take it down several notches just to be around them. They don't play like dogs in that way, but but they but their calmness kind of rubs off on you. And so so that's what I'm you know, trying to tell people. And and does it make me think.
Speaker 8: About kind of where my food comes from?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you bet.
Speaker 5: This is where my evolution of all these stories we've done Peter with with you know, dogs that are pushing buttons and the alligators, and we've done a fair amount of stuff that all the bottom line is is that these animals are capable of a lot more interaction, a lot more cammunication, a lot more self pormination, a lot more emotionality, you know, I'm not surprised that cows can react like a puppy. But you know, you were talking about the animals on your farm, and I'm going, well, but certainly not a chicken. And then I'm sitting in there going, well, but why not a chicken?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: Why am I so quick to dismiss the notion that a chicken could be just as capable of some of this interaction as a dog or a And where I'm left after all these conversations every time is going, I don't know how to move through this world. And a the easy fix as well, you're a vegan, then you're not going to use animals for your sustenance. But the innate abuse that we keep on other species as we make the world something that functions for us is endless. And it was it was not that it's ever okay, but it was a little more okay when I thought, well, they don't you know again, they can't. You feel it that they can't, and this this you know yeah? And are you because forgive me, I have not read the books. Are you do you move towards any sort of a overarching philosophy about what our responsibility is or what what we need to at least be considering as we continue to reshape this world in the image.
Speaker 1: We know to accommodate all of this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it's it's an evolving philosophy, to be sure.
Speaker 8: But I'm not I'm not vegan, I'm not vegetarian.
Speaker 6: I don't promote those and I think then, I think that's kind of the not the best way to think about it. I think you're on the right track. And this is how I like to think about it, is Okay, Look, we we want to live, we need to eat in this world. There's a lot of people that need to be fed. How can we do it in a way that you know, essentially respects the animals whose lives that we depend on. And I know some places do it better than we do. I think I think in the US it's it's horrible, frankly, Uh, you know, I would like to kind of move in that direction, and I think people are thinking about that. The problem, of course, as I'm sure you know, this is expensive. You know, to to raise food and animals that way costs money, and not everyone can pay that price, so it's going to be slow. I think if consumers want it, then you know, things will shift.
Speaker 4: It's been slow. Well, check out the new book Cowpuppy, An Unexpected Friendship and a scientist Journey into the Secret word of Cows. Can you know? Go online and we got links on our site to if you're listening to this, Doctor Burns again, thanks so much for check out book Cow Puppy and Unexpected Friendship and his Journey into the Secret World of Cows. Thanks so much, You're wonderful.
Speaker 1: Thanks guys, a pleasure.
Speaker 4: You know the the it's so it's funny because he did all the research and a lot of good information there as far as yeah, if you think your dog loves you, the research shows to release oxy toastin or whatever they love drug in and also the serotonel that I still have two things in preparing oxytocin yet is the other drug that love?
Speaker 1: Doctor til you know what information I understand?
Speaker 5: Information is powers, David, What did we learned that?
Speaker 9: Well, listen, who knew about the these cows and the oxytocin and you know the niacin or whatever Peter's talking about.
Speaker 1: He's just throwing it, David dunk question of neurochemistry.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying.
Speaker 4: The right way you get vanilla.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right, exactly.
Speaker 9: Well, but I did actually come up with a theory with the Jason and your your dog and your mom. Yes, I think I heard rumors there's a little bit too much Chanel number five there.
Speaker 1: That could be my mother.
Speaker 5: My mother did wear alone, that is, that's true, and and my wife is very sensitive to smells, and so there isn't normally.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's look at you, detective boy.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 9: And and you know now that we're talking about, you know, animals. You know obviously that we have the dogs that are you know, have these personal interconnections to us, and now we have the cows that also can have these personal interconnections to us, and you wonder how that will affect how they taste.
Speaker 3: So people who are.
Speaker 9: Interested in doing that, they have three years to travel to South Korea before the sale and distribution of dog meat becomes illegal.
Speaker 1: So you you have a finite time to figure that out.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine you read of all places I was waiting for him to give us, now what I was thinking he was going to, Yeah, you know what, a cow who's scared, you can taste different because dogs run snow when you're in stress. That if an animal distress, you can taste whatever. I didn't do the instead your dog tours for South Korea. He's getting kicked back for something.
Speaker 1: But that it is true. You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 5: We do eat and rabbit and venison, and you know they're cute, and so I sit there and go, how could you possibly eat it?
Speaker 1: But we're just a counsel, you know.
Speaker 4: It's it's arbitrary.
Speaker 5: You know, Dana has the things. She won't need anything that's cuter than her wife.
Speaker 1: That's my right. She goes, I'll eat a fish. I'll eat it.
Speaker 4: So wait a minute. So but she wanted, like when they bring out the lobster to show you, does she say, could you bring out that otter's And it goes, I'm just saying not.
Speaker 1: She'd eat the lobster.
Speaker 4: So they have to show a picture because you lost her to another lobster. It's adorable, but not the data. So that but our point is, yes, so Dana has that same same I love you data. But that's pretty insane.
Speaker 1: But that was that insane. I think that's actually a good rule that eliminates a lot of things. You proach it.
Speaker 4: So if if we had a cow that looked like this frowning had a face, one of those faces that you're saying in a cow of that the cow we find, hug the cow and you go, Dana, and you don't we walked into a door right now, I'll eat it. Yeah, But we just we just attribute what we want to animals, give them a hierarchy and decide which your pest, which are which are But we say that's an invasion, you know what.
Speaker 5: I mean, not to get into this subject because we're we've already scretted some things that go This won't make the show, but it is interesting thing to think about the sacrilege that we have put on cannibalism, and we are, you know, to many animals other than human beings, we're just another cow.
Speaker 4: Well, since you brought it up, let's end this way. I always want to fly. I carry condiments just in case. I you know, if you all saw the movie with the Brazilian soccer team, Jay and I could tell you right now as we go out and say goodbye, would I.
Speaker 5: Eat you to come up with something that would be really a thoughtful, provocative, yet thoughts.
Speaker 4: Due We started with just just to our audience, who are members who were left?
Speaker 1: I asked if how you know I love you?
Speaker 5: And now it's going to because I let you eat my foot.
Speaker 4: We started with does your dog love you? And Jason was going to close with canalism.
Speaker 1: I wasn't gonna close with it. I'm asking that.
Speaker 4: Punctuation mark, and you know, speaking of cannibalism, there's nowhere to go. Good night, everybody. David, did you have anything else you want to say after cannibalism?
Speaker 9: I would just say wine pairing I think is probably.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: This evening. I just want to be completely clear that this show does not any way, shape or form advocate at all, not at all, non at all. Although that was a very good movie. Thank you for joining, Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you very much, love you, thank love you, Love you, David, love you more than love you.
Speaker 1: Laurie, everybody in the both love you.
Speaker 4: Love you.
Speaker 3: That's another episode of really no really comes to a close.
Speaker 2: I know you're wondering, who are the ten most famous dogs from the silver screen? Well, all in good time, my pretty But first let's thank our guest to doctor Gregory Burns. You can follow the Good Doctor on his website Gregoryburns dot com or.
Speaker 3: On x or he is at g Burns.
Speaker 2: You can also enjoy his newest book, Cow Puppy, An Unexpected Friendship and a scientist's journey into the secret world of pals.
Speaker 3: Find all pertinent links in our show notes.
Speaker 2: Our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and threads at really No Really podcasts. And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online at reallynoreally dot com. If you have a really some amazing factor story that boggles your mind, share it with us and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell so you're updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday. So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And now the answer to the question who are the top ten most famous dogs for movie or TV history?
Speaker 3: Lugging in at number.
Speaker 2: Ten is Benji, the adorable mixed breed who started in six films all bearing his name between nineteen seventy seven and twenty eighteen. Number nine is an animated pop blue from Blues Clues. Blue ran on Nickelodeon for ten years, has been translated into fifteen languages, and spawned spinoffs and a live stadium tour. Number eight is Old Yeller from the film by the same name. The popular book from nineteen fifty six. Became a hit Disney film in nineteen fifty seven, and the classic remains a fan favorite even today. But watch it with tissues because you're Dennenedam. Number seven is another animated favorite. Scooby Doo, the canon Detective was born in the nineteen sixties, and TV Guide recently named him the fifth greatest TV cartoon of all time. Number six has appeared in newspapers and television.
Speaker 3: Specials since nineteen fifty.
Speaker 2: It's Everyone's Favorite Beagle and Charlie Brown's only friend, Snoopy like that Red Barron. Number five is Hatchi co or Hatchie, the famously loyal and Kita who waited at the train station for his owner's return for nine years.
Speaker 3: Hatchie at Dog's.
Speaker 2: Life was a hit film co starring our own Jason Alexander.
Speaker 3: Number four is a real life.
Speaker 2: Dog made famous by his film story It's Falto, the amazing Alaskan Husky who led a dog sled team in nineteen twenty five to transport a Theoria vaccine from Anchorage to Noam, Alaska, a treacherous, near impossible trek of five hundred and forty miles.
Speaker 3: Number three is a popular name. Rin Tin Tin.
Speaker 2: Rinny was an actual German shepherd who served in the infantry in World War One. His owner brought him back to America afterwards and trained him as a movie stunt dog.
Speaker 3: That training made him the star.
Speaker 2: Of twenty seven different films, and when rin Tin Tin died in nineteen thirty two, it led to a national day of morning as the death of every dog should. Number two is the name most people know the beloved college named Lassie. She debuted in nineteen thirty nine as the affectionate, brilliant and loyal friend.
Speaker 3: She was known to be for her many films.
Speaker 2: Brooks radio shows, comics, toys, and a seventeen season long television series, and in the number one spot, It's Dorothy's Best Friend, Todo Toto was played by a female black brindle pirn Terrier. Actress Judy Garland was so enamored of the puff that she tried desperately to adopt him as her own. But at the time there was talk of a standalone Toto movie, so Miss Garland did.
Speaker 3: Not get to keep her puppy pals.
Speaker 2: But we will never be able to forget the bond between them. It was Toto that reveals the man behind the curtain is Oz, and it is the Wicked Witch's attempt to hurt Toto that makes Dorothy brave enough to strike back, all of which proves that Toto is the real main character of the Wizard of Oz. And no, I will not be hearing any arguments to the contrary. Lena Really is a production of iHeartRadio and Blase Entertainment.