Speaker 1: And now move the sticks with Daniel, Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks. What's up, everybody? Welcome back? Move the sticks, dj Buck with you, Buck? How you doing, my friend?
Speaker 2: I'm good, Djay.
Speaker 3: Just navigating everything that is high school graduation, graduation.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: No graduates on Friday, and then it's on yep, what do you?
Speaker 1: When do you when you're heading out to Austin?
Speaker 3: Uh? Not until middle of August. I think I think she would graduate Friday, she would go to an orientation like early June, and then she'ld go mid middle of August. And then it's all, that's awesome, man, that's so cool. Well that's a that's a tremendous honor man. Not an easy place to get into. So excited, excited for your daughter, and uh yeah after here, Yeah she should be fun like she she wants to be a filmmaker, so she wants to get into making documentaries and stuff. And so right now she's talking about like she's in the film school, which you may pick up some journalism stuff and knock it out.
Speaker 2: I love it. Maybe we'll see, we'll see what happens. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: No, I love it today, Buck, We're gonna have some fun with this, uh, with this flag football decision that came down, we got flag football in the Olympics. For those who don't know, uh Buck as a high school coach. But also Buck has a huge history in that world, in the seven on world because you did with the leege eleven and uh and you're coaching that on a yearly basis, So I think you have some insights into what what plays well in seven on seven versus yeah, regular because it is different, and I think it might I think people might be surprised about the skill sets that work great in in seven on seven versus that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's funny because like this flag football thing is going to be interesting to watch, and you've had uh so many players expressed it as I had to kind of have this Steph Curry moment. But you know, DJ, it'd be a lot of pressure on NFL guys going out of it because this is a completely different game.
Speaker 2: It's very similar to when they open up three on three.
Speaker 3: Uh in the Olympics board, Like it's a different game than five on five and all that. It'd be interesting to see USA Football is in charge of kind of putting it together, it'd be interesting to see one if they have a combine. Two, how do you go about cutting some prominent NFL players and telling them they're not good enough? But we've seen that in USA basketball. But then having the skill says to do what is required to win at a high level when they've won successfully without NFL players, that's also a challenge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, five on five, so it's a little different there. By the way, there has been like a competitive flag football world for adults, mind you, that has existed for a very long time. And the reason that I first became aware of it was my son. Only have I ever told you this story, but he was playing. He was playing Friday night lights up up in Temecula, up A Marieta, and he was he was maybe eight years old or something, and he had a coach who was and I'm i'm i'm I think we're on the same page as parents, like, I'm a step back. Let the coaches coach. I'm not I'm not stepping on any toes and want my son to be able to hear other voices. Listen to them, and listen to your coach, do what they say. My son was playing quarterback and he's you know again, seven, eight, nine years old something. He's a little kid, and they're trying to throw deep balls, and so he's this coach has got him crow hopping like he's a center fielder to get enough on the ball to be able to throw the ball deep down the field. So they have a little break in practice, you know, and the kids get a little snack, some water whatever. So my son comes over to me. I go, hey, what what are you doing. He said, well, he told me in order to throw it deep, I got to do that. I said, well, that's you know, this is kind of the age where let's just develop good habits and then we can, you know, go from there. I said, let's not do that. If you can't throw it as far as that, you know you need to do. You need to take your drop and you get the ball up a little bit earlier, like just get it out a little bit earlier, you know that way, you know, yeah, get it up, get it up, and get it out. So then, and of course, like I didn't think it through, So I'm watching the rest of the practice. So then he does what I told him, and then I'm off to the side and I see the coach go over and talk to him. And then I see my son look over at me, and I, oh, I'm in trouble. So the coach comes over to me and he's like, hey, uh, appreciate it if you wouldn't, you know, coach your son. You know, like that's what I'm here to do, blah blah blah. And he needs to he needs to do that footwork and that crow hop in order he doesn't have a strong enough farm. I go, well, he's eight years old, so you know that's you know, not how many eight year old you're gonna be able to throw the ball that far. But I said, I just I don't want to step on your toes. You you know, play who you want to play, run the places you want to play. I just I would just want him to have good habits like this is young kids, Like, let's developed good fundamentals and habits as you you know, That's all I'm asking. And he goes, well, I play professional flag football, and I think you just need to trust me. And Buck, I'm sitting here like do I No, I got the card. I can pull the card out. I got the card. I can pull it out.
Speaker 2: It's just got a rock with it.
Speaker 1: So he goes up, so I just kind of look at him and I go, okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I would I would just say, like, look, there's a lot of kids on this team. You can probably put my son in all of these other positions, Like maybe just let somebody else play quarterback then, because that's just you know, I just liked him to do it the other way, so that's fine, but just let somebody else play quarterback. He play another position. So I avoided playing the card, but I remember thinking that that first of all, like where is this professional flag football league that this guy's talking about? Why is this a badge of honor?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: But uh it was hilarious, man. But that was when I realized, like, holy crap, there's this whole world out there, a.
Speaker 3: Brand new world everything, and they play adult flag all over the place. I've done it into different iterations of flag, like I coached in a flag lee. My son was coming up where you could actually block, like you had three lines I'm and some skill guys. You could actually kind of put some physicality up there and do your thing. And then the five on five is really open space reverses and double passes and all the other it's a speed game. Not only that, DJ is how do you teach them how to avoid getting their flat taken without flag guard? Because you know, that's a big thing. So it's the twisting of the hips, is to dip and get lowst it's going sideways. I mean, there are a lot of little nuances that allow you to become good. And then I'll say this, like, you know, you got to have your fast guys position in the right spots on defense, and I don't know, can you imagine Tyrek Hill being the pass rusher?
Speaker 2: Like? So you got to reimagine what you think. You know what I'm saying. You got to reimagine what you think.
Speaker 4: About the sport and players and what works because yeah, like what you think works in traditional football does not work in flag and you.
Speaker 2: Got to be ready for it. All right.
Speaker 1: So I thought, you know, as we're kind of starting this thing up, and we have some other stuff we want to get to, but on the fly, here, if we were just gonna do like a it's ten man rosters, right, So if we were just gonna go back and forth and have a little draft here, let's say let's do let's do nine because you have the quarterback. I don't know how many quarteracks would they carry too, you think on a roster, I mean, I mean, can we you got to have two in case somebody gets if something happens to the quarterback, you couldn't play. You need another quarterback, right.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe in this one of those guys Josh Jacobs played a quarterback in high school?
Speaker 2: Like, I mean, can we find can you find a two way player?
Speaker 1: Why? Why don't we do this? Why don't we do why don't we do? You want to do seven players? Like a little draft here, a little quick little draft. We'll do seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, we can go, we can go fast and.
Speaker 1: Get some guys you would you would like here. So I want, first of all, before we do that, what what is a misconception about that?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What is something that everybody at home is thinking, Oh, this guy would be a great flag football player for a great seven or five on? How are we going to discuss this? What is the misnomer there? Look?
Speaker 3: Man, I think I think speed is everything. I think speed and length are everything.
Speaker 2: And I think you want some guys because with that roster, DJ, we've got to have some two way guys.
Speaker 3: So you've got to have some guys that have enough general athleticism that they can do a little bit of both. But like, I'm gonna put a premium on speed and agility because I just want to overwhelm people on the speed part of it, whether it's vertical or even the crossing routes. But really, I'm thinking about being able to disrupt you with my past rush. I mean having a young past rushing that can come after you like a speed demon.
Speaker 1: All right, So I'm gonna let's just take quarterbacks out of it. We're not going to take quarterbacks, Okay, So I'm gonna get a pick.
Speaker 2: I got to ask you who would be your flag football quarterback? Who would you take?
Speaker 1: Oh? I take Joe Burrow.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, because.
Speaker 1: I just think I think seeing it processing it boom boom boom boom, like alls out accurate.
Speaker 3: So the person that came to mind for me was Lamar Jackson, because I want to have account if you do decide to rush me and do whatever.
Speaker 2: I want all bests to be out.
Speaker 1: So tell me the rules now, because I need to pull up.
Speaker 3: I don't see I don't I feel like every allowed to rush because if you can rush them, be like well, I'm gonna get Lamar Jackson and that's going to eliminate all of that rushing.
Speaker 1: There were ten players five players in the field of time they're raining five players substitutes a life flexibility in the game. Games are in a five on five format. I got to do some more homework on that in terms of the different rules because the rushing thing that changes it. But to me, like I always think, Joe Burr makes sense. I was thinking the athleticism of the quarterback would be negated, but by the fact that we're just gonna throw, I want the most accurate, the fastest processor and ball placement premium mind.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I think Joe Burr is enough to function, yeah, even if you have to move off the spot or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: And so let's take the quarterbacks out of it. Uh.
Speaker 1: I know who my my first pick might shock you. Who my first pick would be, Well, who's gonna be your first pick? Because I think there's gonna be so much emphasis on who can get open. I would take Derek Stingley with the first pick because I think I think he's the premier cover guy and I can take somebody. I can try and take somebody away. There so so, and I think he's a freaky athlete. You put him on offense, he can do he can help you on offense too.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't I wouldn't think about him being first. He's super talented. I am wondering, like, man without all the rules, I wonder, are you we committed to playing man man? Because you know, DJ, like, there's a lot of like.
Speaker 1: There's a five on five, don't you kind of have to.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Man, there's a lot of a lot of a lot of crossing.
Speaker 3: This is this is when the next time we bring Bruce Veldman on, Bruce have as Bruce like, because you remember Bruce talked about Mike Leech had advised him Mesh Rock. You can't go wrong with Mesh wrong with all the crossrous. Dereck Stingley is a good one. I'm gonna go for a wide out and a playmaker. And the guy that comes to my for me is I kind of want Jamar Chase on my team. And the reason why I want Jamar Chase is I feel like I need someone who's a little rough and rugging and I don't believe that they can call everything when it's like the pushing off down to field, and I just know what Jamar Chase. His physicality combined with like his athleticism, it's gonna be problematic for some people.
Speaker 1: I like that. I'm actually gonna go a really, really young player with my next pick because I also think just I want as much twitch as I can possibly get, and I just think the younger you are, you're gonna have, you're just gonna have more of than you. I would take Molik Neighbors with my next one. I think his combination of quickness, speed, and toughness, like, I think he'd be a He'd be a weapon out there in that well.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you're talking about being a weapon.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you're talking about Molik Neighbors and doing that to me, the perfect flat football player. We haven't even seen them play an NFL snap.
Speaker 1: I gotta take Travis Fotis Hunter.
Speaker 2: I got to get a two for one. I mean, you just te ended up.
Speaker 3: I think he has to go early just because of the ball skills and those things. And I think as we're looking at drafting guys, we're gonna dig a little deeper and look into the backgrounds and some of the things that they have, because I almost believe that you have to have the best set of athletes that have skilled because we are going to bounce people around and put them in unfamiliar It would.
Speaker 1: Be the point, what would be the point of taking a traditional running back, even like somebody like Bijeon or Jamiir Gibbs, like, wouldn't you just be better off just taking all wide receivers.
Speaker 3: I think I think it's I think it literally is a lot of wide receivers in DBS, maybe a freaky, freaky linebacker type because I think down in the red zone, we've got to be able to do the shovel pass to score a touchdowns. You got to have a little shovel. You gotta have a little something that you can flip to them or whatever. But yeah, I don't think the running back is in the mix. I mean, unless it's just an h hn someone that is just so fast that you can't keep up with it. But I think this is a hard game for those guys to get loose and get busy.
Speaker 1: I want some I want some kind of length and range. So I mean, look, at this point in time, I'm gonna take Justin Jefferson just because he's too good. He's too good, and even when he's gonna be you know, with bodies around him, he'll be able to play around and over people. So I'll go with Jefferson.
Speaker 3: Justin Jefferson is a good one. I feel like you almost have to have like someone to negate that. And so you took Derek Stingley. I took Travis Hunter as one dB. I feel like I want the defensive player of the year somewhere in the mix. And Pastor Tan. I feel like I need a t ball to get ball defendseed. I'm gonna take Pastor Tan.
Speaker 1: I like that move, all right. So I've got two guys I'm deciding with, and I know that we're technically doing two different teams, but I'm gonna use you as a consultant on my team because I want to ask you this question. But again, for those Buck's got a lot of experience in this, so you have more experience of what works better in this format than others. Because if I gave you these two players and take your JAG's hat off, but Brian Thomas Junior with his speed and athleticism, size, range, all that stuff, or Amarah like Amorah. You saw him. I think you're with him at the leader A lot like this. He's been playing. He's been playing seven on seven since he was a kid. Like it's a big time recruit and nobody covered him during all I remember watching all that stuff when he was in high school. And he's been uncoverable in the NFL. So he's not the fastest guy, but he's he knows how to get open run routes separate DJ.
Speaker 3: So there's a there was a craze in seven h seven when Amra was playing where this dude would scored touchdowns.
Speaker 1: He would like hunt the ball, the ball, the ball.
Speaker 3: The reason why I would offer for Amana Saint Brown over Brian Thomas Junior is I love BTJ. But I will say this, there is a feistiness, yeah, that a Monra has that would enable him to be good on offense and defense. And I think you want to have some of that versatility in mind when you're thinking about building your team. But yeah, he is a spunky little dude that wants to come after it. He's good his special awareness, his route running ability, his quickness, particularly if you can clear the side and have him one on one working uh, he has some stuff to him. Yeah, I would, I would offer, Amma, Saint Bron, I'll I'll take I'm rather on your advice. So you're up next basically making your draft for two teams here book Nah. I mean, like, look, it's it's so good because you're thinking about the skill guys and being able to do something. It's so funny DJ because we're eliminating so many guys. But I'm gonna do this because I know he would want me to do it, knowing him from being in high school. I don't know where I could play him, but I feel like I got to have Michael Parson somewhere around, if not just for the conversation that is going to because I can tell you that he played on my seven H seven team and then I had to coach against him he was on another team. And the guy is a NonStop chatterbox. So not only that part that can annoy the other team if frustrated, I feel like he would be out Draymond Green in terms of that, but also his versatility. I know, you know in high school he was a running back, he was a defensive man.
Speaker 2: He's a linebacker. He's done a million different things. He's super twitchy and explosive. I feel like there's a way.
Speaker 3: And if he ineverently bumps somebody with getting their flag, I think that helps us.
Speaker 2: I think that's faith.
Speaker 1: It's a little size because I'm looking at Derwin James, who I think would be ex was great. He was so great he can do both offense defense and then but then I just wonder do you need the do you need the size or do you just need people who can who can separate on offense and who can just stay plastered, you know, on defense against any type of receiver. If you can be a small or quicker guy whatever you could match up against. Where if we're going to have a traditional tight end, traditional safety, I mean to me, I Bowers, I'm taking Derwin James and I'm letting those guys be those pieces. But I just don't know if you need a traditional player, like are you just trying to get the most like quick, able to separate package of players you can get.
Speaker 3: So going all the way back to when Derwin was in high school, we had a chance to I think he was on he was on my team too one time. Like Dju, this dude would cover people didn't flip around and play wide receiver. But I want Derwin on the team because you see it every week.
Speaker 2: I know if I've seen passion player that just that just loves it. Like I'm just betting on the.
Speaker 1: I'm convinced I'm an easy soeng I'm taking him. I love him so much, I'll take there.
Speaker 2: He's such He's such a good dude.
Speaker 1: So that's my five. Right now, I've got Stingley Neighbors, Justin Jefferson, Amen Ross, Saint Brown, and Derwin James. That's a fun group.
Speaker 3: I mean, that is a fun group. I feel like you have.
Speaker 1: One right now. You got a fun group too, because you've got Chase Hunters or Tan and Parsons.
Speaker 2: That's what you got.
Speaker 3: More firepower it in me right now, I feel like on Operense, I feel like I.
Speaker 1: Need to know you got to get a receiver.
Speaker 2: I need another playmaker, and so can.
Speaker 1: I Can I make my case to you real quick? Yeah, because You've helped me with a couple guys, and I'm looking at your roster and I think this player would compliment your roster and what you have. You know who's and I'm biased because I watch him every week. But Lad McConkie is a nightmare cover. Do you remember? Do you remember him coming out? We talked about all those corners in sec he torched all of them. I mean his last game. I just saw him in Houston in the playoffs, had two hundred yards. Like nobody can. They can't cover him. He's too quick. I'm like, he would be a nightmare in you would be a nightmare.
Speaker 2: But I think I would be remiss if I don't take Tyreek Hill here.
Speaker 3: I feel like I need Yeah, how can we How can we have a flag football team without Tyreek Hill in the five? So I would take him there, but then I can use Lad McConkie as my austinate.
Speaker 1: Okay, well we still got we got one, two, three, four or five. We said we do seven, so we got a couple more rounds. I'm gonna give you another shot at that one, all right? So next next one for me? I wonder if I should grab another another corner, another defensive back here? Hmm. I know he did not play well last year, but saw like his length eye Oh I think yeah, I know again. I know he did not play like he wanted to play, but I know that talent is in there. I'm gonna I think I would. So that gave me my three defensive players would be Stingley, Derwin and Sauceguard. I think i'd feel good about that. I think I'm gonna go that route.
Speaker 2: Man DJ, I just put his name in my Google search track because.
Speaker 1: He didn't play as well last year. But no, he didn't, but I was looking for it.
Speaker 3: I was looking to read his bio to see about his high school exploits.
Speaker 1: That the only thing about him, the only thing about him is that he doesn't catch the ball well, which is probably a problem them in this environment.
Speaker 2: Can we hand it to him on the jet suite? Can we hand it to.
Speaker 3: I think in those situations we can make him like a like a defensive specialists somewhere we can use like that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: This is this is where it gets really really interesting. When we started looking at like who's available, I feel like I'm I got speed, I got Tyreek Hill, I have Chase, I have a big body, and Michael Parsons. I have a two way player and Travis Hunter, so we're good on that side. I feel like I need another guy that can kind of make some plays all over the field. I really would like a center fielder. Uh, let's do this. At one point, this guy was leading the league in interceptions playing centerfielder. Let's go U the kid from Green Bay. McKinnie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, McKenny, he's a good part.
Speaker 2: Let's go centerfield player.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, I'm okay. My last one, this one, I just I I want to see what it's like to try and cover this group of guys that I got here. I'm gonna take A J. Brown with my last pick. So I've got neighbors justin Jefferson, I'm and Raw and a J. Brown.
Speaker 2: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: I got a lot of guys you gotta cover like that's that's and I've got different skill sets. I've got strength and power. I thought about Drake Lennon because of the size, But to me, AJ Brown can go up and get those balls, and they can play a little bit, a little bit quicker. So I'm gonna go that way.
Speaker 2: Man. Look at you DJ, look at you.
Speaker 1: Just put So we I got three defensive players. You've got You've got Hunter who can go both ways or tandem parsons. So you've got your No, you've got McKinnie So you've got really four guys who have experience playing on the defensive side of the ball. You got get another offensive guy.
Speaker 2: I need, I need another I need I need another weapon. I need another So I need someone that can take it down the field. I need.
Speaker 3: This is a good one, because this is a really good athlete. I need someone to balance out my wide receive a corps. So how about we tell you pooka Nakula just because of his size and his limb and it's weird, I'm taking him over CD Lamb. But I'm taking him because anyone who has watched him delve into those four rays, slam dunk competition, all the stuff.
Speaker 1: Give me poker, Okay, I like that. So our teams are set. I've got Stingley Neighbors, Justin Jefferson, I'm around Saint Brown, Derwin, James Sauce Gardner A J. Brown. I got to get Sauce on the jugs machine. That's the one thing I gotta do before we get out there. That's the only thing that worries me. That's the ball man. Uh. You've got jamar Jas, Travis Hunter, Patterton, Micah Parsons, Tyreek Hill, Zaman McKinney pooka the cour it'd be fun to watch. Like I was just I just watched that documentary last night. I had not seen it, the Grant Hill won where they showed the college the Select team that beat the Dream Team in that uh, in that scrimmage in Lahoya when they were getting ready for the ninety two Olympics. Had a lot of behind the scenes footage on that and had all those guys and uh, you know, I was just kind of watching that and how they got them ready, and I was like, gosh, man, it would be fun to watch. Who would be the on like the quote unquote select team. Maybe they use college kids, uh to come get this flag football team ready. I'd pay to watch that. I mean, like, that's bring Jeremiah Smith out there, let's bring Ryan Williams out there, let's bring Arch Manning out there. Where we got to get these guys ready.
Speaker 3: Well, I am surprised because I actually thought that one of those young guys we kind of inted a mix either Jeremiah Smith or Ryan Willis because they were so good, they're so young and they've grown up.
Speaker 1: One of them has to be Christian Laightner. Maybe we get maybe we bring a Christian Layner on.
Speaker 3: This beat them up a little bit, or we can have someone that shows up like Cooper flag to kind of like.
Speaker 1: Get by the way, by the way in that documentary. I had heard the stories and I've seen all those other documentaries, but on this one. So they won. That Select team won by eight points, like sixty two to fifty four. Oh yeah, and then the next day the Dream Team beat him by like forty five.
Speaker 2: Lou Wake Up Wake.
Speaker 1: That Select team had like I didn't realize all the dudes were on that team. It was Sea Webb, Penny Hardaway, Jamal Mashburn, Alan Houston, like, and then you had Grant Hill and that Bobby Hurley who was the dude from Wake Forest jacked up, muscled up dude.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Rodney Rodgers, Rodney Rodgers, he was, he was, he was, he was nice. Like watching some of the footage of him, he was nice. And then in montrosse was the other one.
Speaker 3: Imagine Rogers Rodney Rodgers playing quarterback and tied end in high school, because that's what he really at Durham come on, yeah, Durham Will said he was called very similar agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah close close.
Speaker 1: He's looking against him.
Speaker 2: No, thank god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, but he was like a local legend or whatever. But yeah, like Ronnie Rodgers lay quarterback or whatever.
Speaker 1: He's left handed to Yeah, didn't want he was in good health in that documentary. Unfortunate. I hope he's okay.
Speaker 2: But the ATV incident is that what it is? He was on? He was on he was on a quad squad run.
Speaker 3: He has a very successful like trucking business, hauling business or whatever, and then he was he was messing around on ATVs and.
Speaker 2: And flipped over and uh, quadriplegiate.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's terrible. I did not know. I just was watching him in it. Man, he was a good basketball player. I wasn't familiar with his Yeah, all right, let's let's take a quick break. One other thing I want to hit on before we get out of here. But we'll take a quick break. We haven't done that yet. We'll be right back, all right, Buck. There was you know some other news here that took place this week since we last talked. Push pushed. You get all worked up about that. To me, I don't really care, everybody. It's just I think we're looking for something. It ended up staying in and didn't get voted out. It just got so much attention. It tells you how powerful the NFL is, that this is like dominating social media. I just if they ban it, they're just gonna run a quarterbacks and you can probably have darned near similar success.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: To me, I thought it was weak sauce on the Green Bay Packers and all the other teams that wanted to get it out. Like, I think the Philadelphia Eagles deserve credit. We're really pouring a lot of time into making the play a very successful play. Other teams have tried to copy and they haven't had the same success. I think you're penalizing the Eagles for mastering something that was well within the rules. I think what is interesting now that it has passed and survived at least for another year. If I'm the Philadelphigans, do I just kind of start running that, just periodically sprinkling that in because I know everyone has it. Is that kind of like the screw you to a FA, Like we go in four minute offense and we're just gonna push our way yea.
Speaker 2: So to me, it was just add like player safety.
Speaker 3: I love man. I think you have to dig in and we've seen it stop. Here's the thing, we've seen teams stop it. I think you have to commit like they've committed to being good at it. You got to commit the same kind of time and energy to find a way to stop it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just don't know. I couldn't get all worked up about it personally, But that was that was a big story. So another story that came down was on the sad side of things. Jim or Say, the owner of the Indianapolis Colts, passed away at sixty five. Sad situation there. Again, our thoughts and prayers go out to his daughters, his family, everyone with the Colts who have been through a rough patch. Here man, our buddy, Matt Turpening, his wife had passed away. Matt has been in that organization for over twenty years.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know they did our best to try and honor her during the during the draft, and now they lose their owner and sixty five is young man, So sad situation there. I got to meet him a couple of times just to shake shake hand and say hello. I remember being out of training camp one year. It was the year I was actually there the day and I'm sure we talked about it on the pod, but I was there the day that Jonathan Taylor went into his bus or whatever you know, to meet with Ersa on the bus and then came out. It was basically I want to be traded and all that kind of stuff. It was a crazy day. It was a crazy day. But Ursay was going around in his golf cart and he was literally finding just fans handing out a hundred dollar bills. Unbelievable, given total strangers, one hundred dollars bills that just to thank him for coming out to training camp. But I know he was He was eccentric and like a unique guy, loved music. But I just remember thinking, like this guy is a and and all these stories have come flooding out. You've seen him paying for funerals and all the different things he did. It was a very generous, very generous man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's unfortun'd very sad. Sixty five is so young. I mean when you when you just think about, like so much life still left to live. But he certainly left his mark on the National Football League and the work that has been done by the Colts in that city. Looking very proud franchise a franchise that has been very, very successful since making the move to Indianapolis. And DJ we talked about, like through the Peyton Manning era, the Andrew Luck era, this was one of the teams that you always talked about. They were going to be in the final four, they were always in the hunt. The model consistency in terms of the way that they approached the game and the way to do business. So look, he certainly will be missed. We think about his imprint on one bringing a Super Bowl to Middle America at a time when no one really thought that that would be possible given weather conditions.
Speaker 2: In those things, they were able to do that.
Speaker 3: We think about Indianapolis being the home of the NFL Scouting Combine and how important that is to the league. Jim Mersey deserves a lot of credit not only for what he did for that organization, but what he did for the town and the city of Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you one hundred percent. He's done a great job of creating a football town. Really, a lot of that goes to Peyton Manning and the work that he did, and the coaching staff, Coach Doungee, everyone that they had there during those years. And you know it's really is. You know, home the Combine is a football town, and you know racing is always going to be kind of the story of Indianapolis and the background there, but it is. It is a phenomenal football town and misters deserves a lot of credit for that. And you know, again we pass along our prayers for him for his family as they're grieving right now. I'm sure all right, Buck, anything else you want to add before we get out of here, No.
Speaker 3: Man, just look to end on a down note like that. It's certainly sad and heartbreaking, and our wishes in condolences go out to all those people.
Speaker 2: But man, what a great time in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: So much interest and intrigue as we think about our eye to the season, we got mini camps and those things coming up. It is Look, man, I think this season is going to be fantastic because there's so many teams well positioned to make a jump. I think it may be one of the more competitive seasons that we see in terms of really trying to figure out who are going to be the teams that we talked about being the last one standing.
Speaker 1: I'll always tell you this too. One of my favorite parts about this time of the year, and I think this these end up coming out earlier and earlier. Nobody. You know, a lot of people don't read it. I shouldn't say nobody. A lot of people don't read magazines anymore, but I'm still a sucker for college football preview magazines, Buck, especially in the era of the transfer portal, Like I got to figure out who's where, So I always look forward to going to you know, Barnes and Noble, getting that Lindy's magazine or how much how much fun is that let's like to hang out by the pool stuff, man, like it's kind of your summer thing and kind of keep up with that and maybe get a chance to pop a little tape on some of these guys as well. So we're not going where. We'll have plenty more shows coming your way all throughout the off season. As I like to refer to it as list season, Buck, everyone in sports media, how many lists can you come up with? Because that's where we are in the process. Out the other the day, I said, I'm gonna be the top top five reasons why it's about to be list season?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, we're right in this is when all the rankings come out. This is when we can get people uh stirred up about a lot of nothing.
Speaker 1: Yep, we'll be creative. If you've got any creative ideas for lists. By the way, shoot us shoots a little tweet on on X. Let us know what we should do. It's maybe a little different than everybody else is doing this time here. We'll try and get some guests on as well too. I love I love trying to cross sport conversation and all that stuff. So we'll see what we can do there. That's going to do it for today. We appreciate you guys hanging with us. We'll see you next time. Right here on, Move the sticks.