Speaker 1: Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Talking Cowboys on a Friday. We are here live from training camp in Oxnard, California. Nate, did you want to do the the open?
Speaker 3: I just love how you can come you be talking just normal playing professional toe if you start over it started, Yea.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Talking Cowboys live from Trading Camp and Oxnard, California. We're here. I am Josh Rodriguez. I'm here with Patrick no c.
Speaker 4: Walker.
Speaker 2: I'm here with Nathaniel Newton, Christopher Paul Beemer in the background doing his thing, killing it absolutely.
Speaker 5: As always, nice crisp white hat.
Speaker 6: I don't know how it keeps that hat white, because okay, that's that's you can't have money a new white cap.
Speaker 5: Every day.
Speaker 2: You get three or four wears out of a white hat and then you got to toss it or something, or you know, give it to a loved one or such. Boys. We're here. It is a beautiful Friday. We didn't have a traditional practice yesterday. We had walked through yesterday. But let's catch up on news and notes. Patrick c no see Walker, do you want to yeah?
Speaker 5: Kicking off?
Speaker 6: Got a couple of transactions from the Cowboys in the wake of the Sam Williams torn acl.
Speaker 5: Obviously, like we talked about, he's out for the season.
Speaker 6: Cowboys knowing that they need some defensive help, defensive end help, they worked out four guys. Three of those included a name like Carl Lawson. You had Shaka Toni, Al quad In Muhammad and of those four guys, because you had Holland in there as well.
Speaker 5: But of those four guys.
Speaker 6: Shaka Toni, Chakazulu Shaka Toni, and al quade In Muhammad, they got the nods. So they were signed and it was made official this morning. I got the text this morning. It was made official, so they are expected to be on the practice field as early as today, which is the third padded practice. To make room for those additions, the Cowboys waived injured undrafted rookie wide receiver Corey Krums who had a lower leg injury. I'm total it was an ankle injury. So he's gonna hit waivers and if he clears waivers, he'll revert to the Cowboys ir and they.
Speaker 5: May work out an injury settlement at that point.
Speaker 6: But Corey Kroumes, he was promising in rookie mini camp OTAs and and mandatory mini camp, but suffers an ankle injury. Cowboys are now at a full ninety plus one, the plus plus one being rookie Denzel Dackson. Obviously he's of Bahamian blood and so he goes with the IPP exemption.
Speaker 7: So is truth.
Speaker 2: The Cowboys did not know that.
Speaker 6: It is very true fortuitous for them because when they signed the young man in April after the draft, that was not the intention signing him.
Speaker 5: They saw something in him.
Speaker 6: They wanted to get him out here at training camp and see what they can develop. And then after signing him, it came to their attention that he is in fact a qualifier for the i PP International program. So yeah, he is a plus one. So if he he can either earn his way into the active roster or if he turns out to be you know, good enough to be on the practice squad and they carry him and continue to develop him, he will not count against the practice squad.
Speaker 2: Seaton, that's good to know. Yeah, that's good to know. Knowledge, information science if you will science.
Speaker 4: Yes, science, science.
Speaker 2: We don't have to drop like we like we usually do. But Nate, what did you think of practice yesterday? What do you think the walkthroughs did you get to What do we get out of walk through To be.
Speaker 3: Honest with the public and to be very frank with everyone, I do not get anything out of walk throughs. I don't even participate in the walk throughs. That's for the scientists over here, the mad scientists, to watch these practices in these walk throughs, because we can't divulge anythings from these walk throughs.
Speaker 7: We can't take movies. All we can do is take steal shots. You know what? Have at it? What did you gain from this? Patrick?
Speaker 6: Well, I would say this because I know that yesterday Nate was working on his tan Dove was having the sun on his back. He's working on his tam. But yeah, like you said, there's not much to take away from the mock games as far as what can be publicized, But as far as scheme and as far as personnel, the biggest takeaway is that Trevon Diggs, yes, was taking first team reps in that mock game walkthrough. Does that mean he's ready for padded practice. No, that's not what that means. But it does mean that he's taking strides toward finally getting on.
Speaker 5: The field for the Cowboys. So you have that Tyler guy.
Speaker 6: And he was also taking some more first team reps in the mock game, which is beginning to come become a trend because he was taking them in the first mock game. He took them in the first padded practice when he Doga was being looked at for injury. But he Dogo was back at the second padd of practice and guess what, guy and was still getting some first team reps. So as far as positioning that personnel, you can take those things away, and those are the bigger the two bigger takeaways that I had from yesterday.
Speaker 2: As far as Traybon digs Go goes with the injury, do you think the Cowboys should have him on a snapcout? I think I already know the answer, but I think for people at home curious, do you think he should be on it snapcount going into the season recovering from this acl there? Yes, Now, we didn't do this with Terren Still last year.
Speaker 5: And how that didn't you struggled a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, And I know Nate and I were talking about this yesterday. As far as you know, the possible shouts to John the lawnmore man, he's getting closer. John Lawn is his name, John.
Speaker 5: I like that. That's the name I can get on board. Not any lone loneie like we're not doing that that.
Speaker 6: But no, I think I do think that they should work him in gradually. And I know Big Nate kind of brought this up on Wednesday on the episode. As far as Nate's willing to say, you know, kind of sit him a couple of games. I don't know that I'm completely there, but I love the logic behind it because I say, you ramp him up. You saw Terrence still struggle in being put back out there immediately. You saw my fire basically, Yeah, you saw Michael Gallup struggle and being put out there immediately. And I think that Trayvon Diggs is just far too valuable to the franchise to rush him, and to that point, they've not rushed him to this point. They've been very deliberate, very cautious, and hopefully they keep with that because now you have the cornerback depth, especially with an addition like Kayln Carson on the boundary, even without Stefan Gilmore, you have the cornerback death that will allow you to maybe split reps with Trayvon Diggs and Kaylan Carson over the first couple of games, and then maybe by the time you get to October, maybe Trayvon is a full goal as far as playing time goes.
Speaker 3: My thing is I over exaggerate when I say eight games in six games in, but that's how far I'm willing to go. But I'm not a part of the training staff. I'm not Trayvon Diggs. He will know the training staff and him will decide.
Speaker 7: But I just believe when you.
Speaker 3: Have invested what they've invested in Trayvon like they did was still and with Gallop, it's just it's it's not a noun thing. It's a future thing too, and so uh it's a big picture. Yeah, yeah, that's my big thing is and I do go overboard with that.
Speaker 7: With that particular injury.
Speaker 3: You know, if if a guy had an elbow or something like that or big toe, that's one thing, but you're talking about the whole All of these guys had almost restructured needs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and uh, that's a mental thing.
Speaker 3: Man. I've just seen it with players in the past, and and it seemed like the guys that take their time and kind of be on a snap count kind of come back gradually seem to have a lot more success in the long run.
Speaker 6: I'll add this for those that might be wondering, will Big Nate No. See, you're saying, you know, put Trayvon on the snap count first couple of games and so, but you're not saying that about John Stevens Junior.
Speaker 5: You're not saying that about the Marrion over Shown.
Speaker 6: The reason we're not saying it is because the timing of the injury. Okay, John Stevens Junior and Marion over Shown they suffered their tour the a CLS prior weeks prior to during the Preson Diggs. Correct, Trevon Diggs suffered his middle of September, so he was roughly a month behind. And that tracks with what we're saying. We're fine with the Marion Overshown going out there being unleashed in week one. We're fine with John Stevens Junior being unleased week one. But look at the timeline. We're saying, ramp Treyvon up so that by the end of September, which will then be just over a year from him suffering the injury, he should be a full go.
Speaker 3: And another thing, I understand this right here. I'm a realist. Yeah, no one is really talking about Overshown. No one is really talking about John Stevens. That what everybody action. The question is Trayvon, and that is what we're answering. If you ask the question about these other guys, I would basically give you the same answer that you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I also agree that I think well, I disagree almost to a point. For the Marvin Overstown, I kind of want to wait on him too. I would put him on a staff count personally only because I need him.
Speaker 3: I think they have, but they have him there too because they will not.
Speaker 5: That's exactly what what if.
Speaker 6: We split the difference there and do exactly what they're doing and saying, here's your number of steps that you're going to play them off.
Speaker 5: You're on over shown and they're going to.
Speaker 6: Be defense not special yes, yeah, and then come October they start working him into special teams if need be, but they already have him on a snap count. Difference being Treyvon Diggs is not playing special teams, right, So you know, the math ain't math and when it comes to Trayvon Diggs. But yeah, they're willing to split the difference whether they're already.
Speaker 2: Doing it on Demo and John Stevens and same thing, same thing, And we all want to see them, of course, but I think just part of me is a little has PTSD from those injuries and like wanting to see them on the field after training camp last year, of them being so explosive on the field last season. I really need to see them.
Speaker 5: On the field this year.
Speaker 2: But I understand this cautiously optimistic.
Speaker 3: You're listening to three guys that just giving their opinion Britt Brown, Jim Mayer. Yes, and these players will make their decisions on individual needs, you know, not once individual needs and for them and then the team.
Speaker 7: So but this is just our opinion that.
Speaker 3: We're excited about these guys and we want to see them as quickly as possible. But I think the difference in us and most people want to see them safely the right way. Absolutely we think it is the right way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's true, because like you're saying, big Nate, you know, when it comes to Jim Marrow, when it comes to Brit Brown, incomparable job that they do, and nobody's going to convinced me they're not the best in the industry at what they do. I've seen too much as far as player recovery and things like that from the Dallas Cowboys to not give them their roses. So, you know, like Big Navy is saying, they're gonna look at all the variables, which includes information we don't have, MRIs and things like that, development trends, and then they're gonna get with the player. They're gonna get with the coaching staff, and they're gonna get with ownership and especially on a player like Treyvon Diggs, and they're gonna make the ultimate decision. And it's just us saying how we would like to see it rapped up. But that's not to say they wouldn't won't take that road anyway.
Speaker 2: That's fair. That's fair, all right, boys. We had a compress conference yesterday with Michael Parsons. Michael Parsons talks to the media and was talking about playing in different positions on the field, and we talked about it last episode at linebacker when we saw it in the pressure drill last week or it was a couple of days ago. Any did you take anything away from what Micah said about playing in different positions like we've talked about.
Speaker 7: Before, weapon X as you call them. Okay, yes, uh, I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that of all the names people have given him, that that weapon we're used that. I've always been a proponent of him being a linebacker slash pass rusher because the linebacker gives him a chance to make.
Speaker 7: Plays all over the field.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying they can't line him up a different down lineman positions standard down, but as a linebacker and you not knowing where this kid gonna be man, and the schemes that Zim can come up with to make him so much more of a complete player. I understand he is the elite pass rusher. I would give him elite player, not yet. And I think if this year, if he can absorb the defense, learn the little nuances of the defense, and put his heart, mind, and soul and more of his mind into this game, man, we will see another level from this Partson's kid. I believe he has another level.
Speaker 5: And I agree.
Speaker 6: I do believe he has another level, and I think that he believes there's another level as well. And I pose the question to him as far as like the plan and will that change with the loss of Sam Williams before we get to that particular portion of it. This yesterday's conversation with Michael Parsons was the most detailed as far as revealing what the plan is from Mike Zimmer for Michael Parsons, and people are wondering is he going to be a full time defensive end? Is he going to be a full time off the ball linebacker. Here's a portion of Michael Parsons quote. They're quote, They're expanding my versatility and using me in ways I should be used. That's telling he was feeling away and moving me around to make offenses. I d me from other places, sending me where they should send me. Zimmer's gonna utilize every asset of my ability, and that's something I appreciate.
Speaker 5: End quote.
Speaker 6: So, not only does this tell you that Weapon X is going to be basically playing a game of where, forcing the play a game of where's Waldo? Or any given step also tells you that he's been waiting for this opportunity to truly be that versatile guy where you don't know if he's coming off the ball or if he's on the ball, And if he's off the ball, is he going to the quarterback ers. He dropp him back in coverage. Sounds like Micah and Zimmer have a plan. And to the other point, he did mention that Michaeh did that the loss of Sam Williams is not going to alter that plan at all at worst case scenario, if it forces Micah to stay on the field for a couple more downs, which is what Michael said. He said he's in condition with the drop weight to be able to do that, but maybe not, because that's why they brought in Mohammad and Tony hoping that they don't need those extra reps and they can workload manage him over the course.
Speaker 5: Of seventeen so he will be good in the postseason.
Speaker 3: And where he needs the most workloaders here in training camp. Yeah, you don't want to wear him out here in training camp, you know. And granted they don't practice the way we used to, thank God, but they're still they're.
Speaker 7: On their feet and when you own your feet standing.
Speaker 3: Up out here on this grass five or six hours a day, that can get tiring, regardless of whether you got on paths or not. So uh man, But I like that words you use. I d him in different places.
Speaker 7: Man, that's yeah. Well yeah, and so when you have to I d him.
Speaker 3: In different places, that means you have to scheme depending on down the distance in these different places.
Speaker 2: Like you said, his rookie year, he needs to be the queen on the chess board. He needs to be able to move around and weapon X.
Speaker 7: Is that A? Is that a Turby turb.
Speaker 5: Two different?
Speaker 2: Also also happy birthday to Turby Turby Speed Speed.
Speaker 5: Happy birthday to Turbo.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no no. When we come back, we're taking We're taking your questions when we come back. Text line is eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight more talking cowboys.
Speaker 8: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savants. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought on line was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 10: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 1: Today, they say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Egg and Term offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 5: Off the field.
Speaker 1: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school. An inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com. Bank of America and a member after I see Eco Credit Opportunity Lender.
Speaker 2: To Talk Cowboys, Welcome back to Talking Cowboys. Here from Oxnard, California training camp. Nate Newton likes the opener. All right, this portion of Talking Cowboys brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats bring out the good.
Speaker 5: He stab Pauls for suspense. I like that.
Speaker 6: I like that also real quick shouts out to Johnny Lonzel for taking for taking the more to the other side so the audio can be clear, they.
Speaker 2: Call him Johnny foot or no, I don't have football Johnny ln mower.
Speaker 6: Right, John Johnny Johnny lawnlawn Johnny lown Zel Johnny foot lawn right.
Speaker 5: Oh, Clayborn Clayborn bars shout him.
Speaker 2: But he I think he's done. Now.
Speaker 5: I think we're good. We're having fun. That man is doing his job. We're doing our job. Is fun.
Speaker 2: Fact, Yes, you know, straining he the more in the background. All right, boys, we had coach coordinator availability yesterday as well. Uh coach Brian Schottenheimer. Coach. Oh my gosh, I'm blanking John Fossil, John Fossil, Mike Zimmer. Geez, where am I at today?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 5: Have you had your opal?
Speaker 2: Haven't I barely even finished my coffee? That official sponsor of talking.
Speaker 5: To had your ropes?
Speaker 6: Because had you had your quake quake ropes, you'd be ready to go. I would, because you would be every morning with your quake roads.
Speaker 2: Bring out the good. No, we can't do making this man. That's an off the podcasts out there. All right, So the twelve man has become a thing. This is this is what I gathered yesterday. I wasn't in the coach Fossil two hour lecture.
Speaker 5: Shouts out to Fossil for that about.
Speaker 2: Special teams and the new kickoff rules, which you were in but that was the most not the most intriguing, But I was like, wait, we can have twelve men on the field for ones. So if at the kickoff for once, a player can come on the field and hold hold the kickoff, hold the ball for the kickoff, and immediately run off the field. But that is it. That is the one rule that will give you a twelve man on the field where it's okay and it won't cost us a game.
Speaker 6: You know what's interesting about Well, there's a lot of interesting parts about the new kickoff rules, and to be honest, and Josh and I were talking about this last night. It really is kind of a class Like I'm diving into it right now to try to learn the intricacies of it. And I was able to watch Texans versus Barriers last night, so we saw it in play in real time. But there's more to be learned. So we're going to be learning it at the same time as the fans are going to be learning it as the season goes on. But between that twelve man rule and you know the fact that the kickoff rules now make it where the kickoff is basically another play to be called. It's not just okay, send your special teams out there kick No, you have to be.
Speaker 5: Strategic about it, scheme. You have to scheme for it.
Speaker 6: So like you can have up to ten blockers, this is an example of what I'm talking about. You can have up to ten blockers, but you could drop one of those blockers back and have two returners and nine men up front. And if you have and it's what Bones Fossil say yesterday, if you have two you know, great returners that can apply pressure to the opposing team because there's different variations. Number One, which returner is getting the ball? If you have two back there, the other question is are both gonna stay as returners or is one gonna actually go up and block at the very last second, which is gonna throw off what the opposing team is trying to do, or is it gonna be this returner catches the ball and mister Rex and throws it to this So that's gonna create a lot of our opportunity for a lot of big plays also for the Cowboys, especially with turping, But it creates opportunity for somebody else alongside turping to step up and be a returner. I know some people on line were it're saying immediately it's deuced on I think it might be more strategic than that, because if that second returner has to have the ability to randomly go up and block, maybe it's a running back, and maybe you're talking about somebody like ric o'dowdle who also plays special team. So strategic and I love that it's gonna make the game that more interesting, that much more interesting.
Speaker 3: So where the kickoffs at and all of that, just talk about that at the same place, different spots kickoffs.
Speaker 5: Well, it's forty and forty okay.
Speaker 6: And as far as like the blocking is concerned for the return team, there's a five yard window in which the blockers can exist, right, So you can only have three blockers outside of the hashes, right, and you can have three inside, but you can have four inside. But it depends on if you're gonna drop one back. But it has to be within a five yard reference upframe of reference, so it shrinks the amount of blockers, not not the amount of blockers, but the amount of real estate those on. Also key to remember is that no one can move until the ball is either touched by the receiver or it's you know, our touchback or something that effects. So you have the landing zone which is twenty yards, and then you have the end zone itself. One another big takeaway and again we're studying this to try to get our hands around this. The returner barring the ball going out of the back of the end zone, the returner has to touch the ball. So whether it lands in the end zone and kind of just dies like a duck and lays there, or it lands in the landing zone the green zone and rolls into the end zone but not out of the back of the end zone. Obviously, in the past, if it rolled into the end zone, touchback plays dead. Now if it rolls into the end zone, if it's just sitting there, the kicking team can run down, pick up that ball and it's a touchdown for them, right, So little intricacies like that that's really gonna make for a lot of excitement going forward with this kickoff.
Speaker 2: For that all to happen in one offseason, that's going to be a lot for kicking special teams players to process and be able to on the fly understand and be able to produce the results on the field. We kind of got a preview of it last night at the Hall of Fame game. But also the plays weren't going anywhere because they weren't trying to show off what their playing is for the regular season.
Speaker 3: So now even if they catch it in the end zone and don't bring it out, so it just brings out to the twenty five, it goes out to the thirty, where does the ball be placed?
Speaker 6: And that's what we're digging in to learn because there I recall Fossil saying there's a difference in where that ball is basically touched back, for example. So there's and again I'm not going to until we do the full class order and I dig into it. I just know for a fact it's not equal at any scenario, right, So we'll we'll do some more digging and we'll help break it down to the fans as we get a better understanding of it. But it's nothing like you've ever seen in the NFL. Ever, ever, ever, This is completely different. Scrap everything that you've ever learned about the kickoffs in the NFL, and it's time to just relearn. But that in and of itself is fun. I like learning science is fun.
Speaker 2: And if you want to look at some of those plays in action, look at the XFL. They had a lot of lots to play. They started their their league basically off with with these new kicking rules whenever they kind of restarted like two years ago. So you can see those plays and see the results of them and putting them in different situations. Obviously, then we're used to it's like always on the twenty five and then that's how every drive starts twenty five on twenty five unless it's a punt. But more to learn from that, anything from Coach Foster or sorry, Coach Zimmer and Coach Schoppenheimer that you want.
Speaker 6: To discuss, well, Schottenheimmer is mostly you know, focused on and like he said, and I love the fact that he was like when he referenced cdee lamb, he said, and I quote he'll be here, end quote. We know cd just come up just you know, finish handling your business and we'll see you soon. But he talked a lot about you know what we're talking about on an episode to episode basis as far as like these young receivers taking advantage of the opportunity he's that they're getting and then you know, that includes the three Jalens. That includes Tyran Billy Johnson, who I had a side chat with and he gave me some good some good quotes as well. Go at Voice of the Star shameless plug last night. I posted some quotes from him. But David Dirten is showing some things. And and then you have Cavante Turpin. Obviously he's doing some big things with the ones as well.
Speaker 12: Don't you do it, hey man, don't you do it? But but yeah, Shotenheimer, he spoke highly of the young wide receiver group and that they're taking advantage of their reps.
Speaker 5: And now we got the popcorn going on.
Speaker 7: Fat you smell that fatness came over?
Speaker 6: It's yeah, speaking to the spirit right, but no, so he talked about that and basically the level of comfort in the offense as far as the players are concerned. Last year, this time it was heavy installs. Players were trying to figure out their rolling expectations for McCarthy and Shottenheimer because last year set Jim's first time as the o C even though McCarthy's the play caller. Now everybody's comfortable, you know, outside of the rookies who are learning the situation, but place right, the installs are in place. Brandon cooks he's playing free more freely. Dak Prescott say, he's playing more freely than he's ever played. Jyalen Tobart obviously, Cavante Turpin. So they just need to figure out the running backs room. And that was interesting as well because Schottenheimer is not shining away from the fact that they're trying to figure out the running backs rotation count hunter lipkey, Hunter lipkey. You got eight guys back there. You're not going to carry eight guys into the season. So yeah, they're gonna have to figure that.
Speaker 12: Out over the next four boogie actually el boogie, el boogie, Like if you listen to the Players Lounge, they've coined it.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, if Players Lounges comes up with the name there, it's fine, But if Josh Rodriguez does, it's it's unacceptable. According to past let's go with that.
Speaker 5: That's that's not entirely untrue.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's fan Friday. Let's jump into some fan questions.
Speaker 5: Boys are since y'all got for Big Nate way.
Speaker 2: We want to know, all right, Nate, what is the te room looking like? The tight End room looking like behind Jake Ferguson, I haven't heard much from Spanford and to see the extra alignment type.
Speaker 5: We got to bring him back because he's thinking popcorn, bring him back.
Speaker 2: What are we thinking of the tight Ends?
Speaker 3: Aside from Jake Luke Schoolmaker's up pronouncing that right. We need him to show up and be very, very consistent this year. He's had some nice catches in practice. He's he's staying healthy and we need for him to show up.
Speaker 7: I think Peyton Hendershot.
Speaker 3: This is this year to either make it big kind of move to the next level. So because with John Stevens coming back, they're gonna ask for this guy's I don't pronounced his last name right, They're gonna actually they're gonna ask a little bit more from this guy. So it's gonna be a little tight race. But I'm looking for Schoolmaker to make this thing happen. I mean, you gotta you gotta make it happen somehow someway.
Speaker 6: It's so crowded, and I'll make this real quick because it's straightforward from me. For the tight Ends, Jake Ferguson is Jake Ferguson, and I believe he's gonna have an all pro season that taps on a thousand yards. If it doesn't get right over that, it's it's like big, they said. Luke Schoolmaker needs to remain healthy and then continue to stack good days. But he's not going anywhere. He's your second round pick from last year.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: John Stevens Jr. Would have made the roster last year if not for the torn ACL. So that tells me he's gonna make the roster this year. And he's looking good at his return from a torn ACL. We know what Princeton fans. Princeton fan is more of the blocker, right, They're more. He's getting what Sean McEwan used to get for the most part. So I believe Princeton fan gets a nod if only for special teams and spot blocking, inline blocking things like that. Here comes the question, right, Alec Holler, pay Hendershot, Brevin span Ford of those three Payton Hendershot, he's he's giving you special teams reps, but he's not. He didn't flash last year like he did as a rookie.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 6: Brevin span Ford was one of the higher priority undrafted free agents for the Cowboys. They gave him a good amount of guaranteed money and he looks very much the part both physically and on the field. Peyton hender Shot versus Brevin span Ford versus John Stevens's That's basically what I'm looking at. So Peyton Hendershot, he's kind of up against the wall there. He needs to really go out there over the remainder of training camp and show that he had he deserves to be on the roster against a guy like Brevin span For the rookie trying to come in and take his part. Because again John Stevens slop schoolmaker Jake Ferguson. I believe they're on the roster. I think Princeton Fan gets or not because of what he does his skill set. Outside of that, it's a battle royale between Hollard for span Ford and hind the shot.
Speaker 2: That being said, I don't think it's being talked about enough how good John Stevens is at run blocking talk talk. I mean it's it's obviously it's very good. And not only are is measurables there, but he is a great run blocker so far. You know, as we've seen this bar in camp and I'll say it again on August second, on August second, But we saw that last year too, and he was also making incredible catches last year at camp.
Speaker 5: So and he's at it. Wait, he's at it leads to be a better blocker.
Speaker 2: I think for me that's that. That's it right there, Jake Schoonmaker, John Stevens, and then that fourth spot. I have no idea span.
Speaker 6: Ford, it's it's span Ford wants wants it, Hendershot wants it, Holler wants it, wants it. Of those last four names I mentioned, though, Fan is more of a blocking specialist right so I feel like he has an inside track there. But Peyton, Hendershot and Brema span Ford they're fighting for the same They're fighting with the same skill set, so to speak. They both want to show that they can make plays down the field. Who can actually continue to do that in training camp? That's who's going to win that job.
Speaker 7: Health inconsistency, Yes, sir, absolutely, Nate.
Speaker 2: Do you think that Jake version Ferguson takes that next step? Do you think he's capable.
Speaker 3: Of Everybody loves this kid, Other tight ends off, other teams love this kid. I've heard the forty nine ers tight end talk about them. I've heard just other when your other players talk about you and say you're up and coming, that means you got a little swaged here.
Speaker 7: So uh, And this kid works.
Speaker 3: He doesn't mind working, He doesn't mind doing what's necessary for the team. You know, he's one of the few guys when things with shady for our quarterback at the beginning of the season walking to.
Speaker 5: The quarterbacks in a man greenbell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm riding with you. Whatever happens, I'm with you. Hey, bro, that goes a long way. That goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Man, you just mentioned it. They're that Green Bay game. One of the one two Cowboys that showed.
Speaker 5: Up in that game, Jake Ferguson was him.
Speaker 6: Listen and to Nex's point, when when Travis Kelce looks at a tight end and says he's got next, which is exactly what's happened with Jake Ferguson, And then you see Ferguson going out there improving him right.
Speaker 5: And what more do you need to see? What more do you need to see? All right?
Speaker 2: Another fan question, this is from TJ and Baltimore. With all of Brendon Auber's success last season and assuming all goes well at camp. Do you see it being automatic to go for sixty yard field goals? I don't think we should be worried about it.
Speaker 3: Depend on the team, depend on the situation, what's on the line. That's that's that's what that's about. But I I really don't like my kickers, even if they can make sixcy. I like my kickers forty five yards and then I like to give them. I like my cancer to have high success rates. And that means I need a great offense, Thank you. I need a great offense. I don't want it to rely on no kicker for nothing.
Speaker 6: If you're if you're relying on sixty yard field goals, it means that your third down conversion rate sucks. It means that you're not, to borrow the phrase from the late great John Matt, you're not matriculating the ball down the field effectively on a on a down on the down basis. So I'm right there with Big Nate. I don't want to see sixty yard field goals unless like the game is on the line. Yeah, it's situational for me. But to if I'm understanding the question, to default to sixty yard field goals being Okay, over the course of a game, no task your offense with moving the ball and moving the chains, and you won't have to worry about sixty yard field goals. Hell, you won't have to worry about forty forty five yards because hopefully you're punching the ball in whenever you get a chance.
Speaker 3: Don't you know what a sixty yard field goal if you miss where the other teams start at.
Speaker 6: Yeah, field position is also that. So yeah, Ken Brandon already do it. Absolutely he can't, but don't just pretend he can't until you absolutely need to be reminded that he can.
Speaker 5: That's how I look at it.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Next question, this is from the seven to five seventy Do not leave a name, But are the Cowboys going to use their backs more so in the passing game this season?
Speaker 7: I think they are.
Speaker 3: I think McCarthy's been waiting on an opportunity to use them. Well, Tony started out slow a little, he wasn't healthy as he should have been. Uh and he get healthy util late in the season. But I think they that would have to be part of the game plan, that that short passion game is a long handled run game. And Zeke and Ric O'Donnell and Hanter Lempke because those are my three backs. If anybody else barge they weighing there, fine, but I'm not. Those are the three guys I'm looking for. And if and and and all three of them can catch the ball. So I'm good with that. We got that venom on me.
Speaker 2: But he's done.
Speaker 5: Now listen, Eddie Brock. We're trying to do a show here.
Speaker 6: I believe that Mike McCarthy is going to utilize Wait a minute, Wait a minute, wait a minute, is this Kyle Yeoman's and Isaiah stand back kicking us off the show?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 6: Oh my guys are here some boys, My god.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, chyl you stand back cowboys.
Speaker 7: These Suprema Donna's.
Speaker 3: Mister Black College Football himself, NFL Network.
Speaker 6: Oh man, we got some We got some level a great dudes up in him. Man, y'all stay in the frame.
Speaker 5: Don't goad. Finish the answer, real quick, standing frame.
Speaker 6: Okay, So Mike McCarthy, I do believe it's going to use the running backs more as far as receivers out of the backfield. Were already seen that with Duce Fall, which kind of serves double duty because they're also trying to figure out the niche for news Vaughan du Von going forward, but you're gonna see it more from Duke Vall. You're gonna see it from Hunter Lipkey. I posted a couple of practice clips U two days ago when in a span of three plays, Hunter lip Key leaked out of the backfield, got into the middle of the linebacker, said it was space, He turned around, he sat down, and he got the ball from Dak Prescott. So from that moving forward, you're going to see more of like Big Nate was saying, those quick hit quick us out of the backfield, kind of acting as like quasi run plays to keep the defenses off balance.
Speaker 2: All right, boys, let's take our last break when we come back. More from Kyle Yeoman, guys, more from Isaiah Stanback. We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 8: Donas Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savanna. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g.
Speaker 7: It is fast.
Speaker 8: Reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G Fast, Reliable, Secure.
Speaker 9: Five D requires compatable plan and device. Five G may not be available in your areas. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 10: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal He's a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 13: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 4: Would you, Dear Doctor.
Speaker 8: My friend supported me during a tough time, But what's the right gift that says thanks for being.
Speaker 13: A soldier to cry out, Okay, this one's easy. I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 10: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America, because coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee Today.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys live in Oxtar, California. We were joined by Kyle Yeoman's. We were joined by Isaiah stand Back, Patrick Nocie Walker. I'm Josh Edreez. This is the full talking Cowboys group. This is finally us. We are complete. Like Thanos, we are inevitable. The Infinity Stones are back together. This sortion of talking Cowboys is brought to you by visial Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Thank you guys so much for being here. We gotta give them the pause. That's what people back home watching the firly w facts.
Speaker 14: Do you guys want to hear a story how we got here?
Speaker 4: So Isaiah and I set.
Speaker 14: It up a couple of weeks ago where we were. We were booking the flight out to Oxnard. And of course I haven't been here because my wife and I had triplets in February.
Speaker 4: Babies at home. They are all healthy, they're all doing great kind of to help out. My wife's a rock star for even letting me come out here period.
Speaker 14: Absolutely so unbelievable that she's even let me do this for the shortened amount of time.
Speaker 4: But we we scheduled this flight out.
Speaker 14: Here about a month ago, and we were in twenty two road twenty two F the window seat rode twenty two D the aisle seat, and that's what Isaiah and I had.
Speaker 4: The middle seat was still open happened well within the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 14: Our producer Caden Gates, who is also shout out to Caiden, he made the trip out there with us and they added them on late and we were looking on the American happ and I said, hey, Cayden, the seat in between Isaiah and I is.
Speaker 5: Open ice cream sandwich.
Speaker 4: So there's I was like, go ahead and book it. So he books it. He's good to go. He books it, We're ready to roll.
Speaker 14: So going into last night, in the check in process, I thought we were all sitting together in this twenty two f Yeah, well, you check in on the American Airlines app and the great deals that they have on the American app. They actually had a seat upgrade possibility to go to first class beamer.
Speaker 4: It was like ninety four bucks.
Speaker 14: It was nothing, and you get like a bag checked free, two backs.
Speaker 5: You know, it cost just to check.
Speaker 14: So it's like not even not even a tall upgrade like first class seat.
Speaker 2: And I looked at it.
Speaker 14: I was like, man, I was like, I'm gonna be getting up at three am. I was like, I haven't gotten a lot of sleep lately anyways, because of the babies. I was like I could go first class here, but you know what, we're sitting together. I'm gonna go ahead and pass on.
Speaker 4: Dude, I know what this is.
Speaker 15: Going go ahead, and I'm gonna go ahead and pass on this to be a team player, to be able to sit with my two brothers and have a good time on the flight over.
Speaker 4: Sure enough, we get there.
Speaker 14: We get to the airport this morning, we've seen each other at the gate and Isai. They say like, hey, group one, on your way, and Isaiah stands.
Speaker 2: Up, stand back, not stand by.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I looked at Isaiah. I was like, dude, what are you doing? And he was like, oh, no, I'm first class.
Speaker 5: You're a shows that.
Speaker 4: That is how we got here.
Speaker 5: There's the class list. There's no but there is yea.
Speaker 16: Yeah, listen the way my legs are set up the build, dude.
Speaker 14: The worst case scenario would have been if I decided to do it too, and I can.
Speaker 4: We told Kayden to take the middle will Smith on the final episode, he looks like he's all right.
Speaker 14: He takes the middle seat of this flight with two strangers after what he told him to book the middle seat and take off.
Speaker 2: The first I can see him back there like oh, I was explaining yourself.
Speaker 5: I was operating off of no sleepy.
Speaker 16: I just got back taking my daughter to track National I didn't get I literally got zero sleep last night.
Speaker 5: Zero.
Speaker 7: I'll bring off zero. Okay.
Speaker 4: I was watching the Olympics at three o'clock this morning.
Speaker 5: All right, I came straight to.
Speaker 2: The airport my legs.
Speaker 4: I needed the extension.
Speaker 6: I need to extendo the go go gadgets and stretch out and get some sleep because otherwise I wouldn't be able to come here and be with y'all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know what, the first thing he said whenever he popped off.
Speaker 5: I will sleep before they even Yes, boy, he.
Speaker 4: Was like, dude, I just got three full hours. I was like, it must have been nice.
Speaker 5: Dog exhausted from the trip.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my knees are hurting.
Speaker 7: My necks.
Speaker 16: Craye Kane sitting in the middle seat, he had he's a bathroom.
Speaker 5: And the person that that I all was sleep will sleep. A person in that that always happens.
Speaker 4: So yeah, so we're not talking football right now.
Speaker 7: We're back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we tak talking American Airlines fan questions.
Speaker 2: We got a couple more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's go to day.
Speaker 2: But let's go with you guys have been thinking about this is last season. If you had to bet, when would you say the Cowboys w win another Super Bowl in the next five years, ten years, twenty First use to end one day.
Speaker 5: Right out of it. Well, let's start with Isaiah. You're more arrested, so you start first.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys win another super Bowl.
Speaker 16: That's I mean, anybody could throw anything against the wall right now, right, I mean, so there's there's no real predictions there. I mean, I'm I'm I am excited to see what these guys are able to put together this year. Obviously every year is exciting, but obviously with the new defensive coordinator coming in, seeing how these guys bond together once his offense gets together, they get settled in seeing what they do. But also, I mean, not outside of which is what they're able to do. It's about your division as well. So about your division, is about your conference. So there's so many factors mass so I can't answer that question right now.
Speaker 14: Well, and I think the NFC being wide open right now, and the fact that you could arguably have the best quarterback in your entire conference, not even just the division, and maybe the one guy that's the contender, and that is in your division with Jalen Hurts and company.
Speaker 4: But it's still possible. Let's not get it twisted. This is still a good football team.
Speaker 14: They're returning nine former All Pros, and by All Pros, I mean guys that have won that honor in the last two seasons.
Speaker 4: So I mean they have talent. The depth is where I have some questions, and in order to win a Super Bowl you have to have depth.
Speaker 14: So I think it's gonna take some time. I don't think they're in that contending space now. If they want to make some moves and get to that point, I think that's possible because they have the top end talent. It's the depth and the longevity and the durability. We're already seeing it tested. We had one injury with Sam Williams at the defensive end position, and they go when they sign two guys because they know that depth is being tested. So as soon as that happens at corner, as soon as that happens at linebacker, as soon as that happens at wide receiver, running back, I mean.
Speaker 4: Anything, it could be anything on this rock. Starting eleven good, you're starting twenty two guys.
Speaker 14: You feel pretty good about. But outside of that is where you have some questions. And I think in order to win a Super Bowl you have to have depth, and I don't think this team has it.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 6: Excellent points plural made by both Kyle and Isaiah, and and I'll kind of dovetail off of one of Cole's points, it's let's shrink it.
Speaker 5: Win your division, compete within your division. You can do that, Okay.
Speaker 6: If you compete within your division and win your division, especially a division as good as the NFC East, you may end up in second place in the NFC East and that should be good enough to get you into the playoffs.
Speaker 5: And then at that point, the question is what does everybody's team look like?
Speaker 6: Because everybody's team is not going to look the same come January, second, third, fourth, as it looks going in the training camp, because you have injuries, you have attrition and things like that. So what moves the Cowboys make over the course of the season. The trade deadline got pushed back a little bit this year. What kind of trades do they make to kind of boaster defensive tackle? What free agency signers do they make to boaster defensive tackle? In some of these other positions. So I do believe that the Cowboys, as we have this conversation August second, are they in the Super Bowl conversation?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 5: Can they be?
Speaker 6: Yes, But it depends on how they handle the roster management between now and the end of the season and as far as the window for the Super Bowl. I will say, based on all of the variablests, Mike McCarthy is on the contract year. I do believe that's gonna get done. I could not be more confident that cedielamb is going to get done. I believe it gets done. But that being said at the time that being said, bottom line is the head coach is on a contract year. Okay, Mike Zimmer your new defensive quarter coordinator on the contract year. Nobody wants to talk about it, but the fact is, well, McLay, what's his future look like in Dallas. So it's not a now or never, but it's a now or you're not having this conversation again for the next eight to ten years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is. It is one show me.
Speaker 14: If you talk about the window, the window of opportunity is always a very heavy thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still there.
Speaker 2: Standing out. It's stending out what I have one more question for both of you before we wrap up. You're here. You just got here. For people that don't, they literally just literally walked in this morning, check check the room, not even checking the room all stars. So from afar, you've been kind of keeping up with training camp. Who are you most excited to get your eyes on now that you're on the field right here behind you.
Speaker 4: You got the player I'll take. I'll take Tyler Guidon.
Speaker 14: I want to see it because on film, the footwork, the strength, the power, and then I mean, especially when he was working with the first team snaps. I know Tuma had that banged up injury in the first.
Speaker 4: Day of pads. He was back for the second day of pads.
Speaker 14: And a lot of those first team reps went back to Tuma. I think Tyler Geyiten was more impressive in his first team snaps than true Madoga was. And by think, I mean that the eye in this guy doesn't lie. I mean watching the film, Geydon was powerful.
Speaker 4: But I want to see it in person. I want to see it up close, and you'll see me if.
Speaker 14: You want to find me on the field today, if you're coming out to Oxnard, I'm going to be over by the offensive lineman. That's where I will be watching because I want to see Tyler Guidon. I haven't seen him with my own eyes yet. I want to see how he's able to continue that footwork, continue building because he's still a rookie. But right now, I'm more excited about what I've seen from Tyler Goydon than I was at this point a couple of years ago when Tyler Smith was a first round draft pick on the offensive line. I had questions around Tyler Smith this early in camp. Tyler Goyden has answered a lot of those questions early, and it's exciting to look forward to Oversham.
Speaker 16: That's what I want to see, not only just because I like him as a person. I was excited about him last year prior to him trying as aco in the preseason game.
Speaker 5: But I want to see how he bounces back from that injury.
Speaker 16: There's been a number of guys, unfortunately in this organization after and sustained that same injury, and not everybody came back the same.
Speaker 5: Type of player. So I'm interested to see exactly how he's moving. That's something I was like last year.
Speaker 16: I was I was watching you know, Gallon over the last few years in terms of him coming back from his injury. And I was able to tell pretty early on that I was like, I'm not sure how that he that he's ever going to really come back. Unfortunately that was just from my eyes seeing it here at camp. I want to see can overshow and get in and out of his breaks? Can he come downhill? What's his acceleration looking like? You know, does he have the confidence? So that linebacker position, obviously, especially with Zimmer coming in the culture there matters, but also the speed matters because they don't necessarily have all the size.
Speaker 4: See this is Red River rivalry, this is this is Texas. That's what we want to see. And he was sitting in first class. I was more of a general economy guy making.
Speaker 7: Here to work.
Speaker 4: Here for the equipment room.
Speaker 5: He's here for the Zimmer Glimmer.
Speaker 2: All right, boys, that's gonna be it for talking cowboys. We're out of time. But I want to thank Isaiah standing back, I want to thank Kyle j Omens for jumping on here. First thing. The first thing that they did was finally got the line it back together in a huge, gigantic thank you to Nate Newton for being on the show the last two weeks. We really appreciate you more than you know. Thank you all so much for tuning into Talking Cowboys. We will see you on Tuesday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.