Speaker 1: What's up everybody.
Speaker 2: Welcome into a Friday edition of Texans All Access a tgiff. Thank god it's football Friday edition of Texans All Access.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, John Harris, football analyst.
Speaker 1: Sideline reporter.
Speaker 2: Of course, glad to be with you as we go into a June weekend. Next weekend, wow, think about that next weekend. June thirtieth turns into July first on Sunday, and that's the month of training camp. We're getting closer, people, We're getting closer. We're a little over a month out, I think, somewhere on that timeframe. So getting excited about training camp. And so tonight we will hear from another couple of players, actually three to be exact, two current, one you know, one well maybe you don't know. And then we'll have another where are they now? With my May and Drew Doherty. So we will hear from those gentlemen a little later in the show. But we're gonna kick off today's show with a little bit of news and I love seeing this news. Will Anderson Junior is a Texan. I know you probably think, wait a second, well, yeah, you got drafted, and of course he's a Texan.
Speaker 1: Both he signed and made it official today.
Speaker 2: He is a tech Sin four years, fully guaranteed deal, thirty five million, signing most twenty two million. So good afternoon for Will Anderson Junior. And he's a Texan. That's great, that's great news. Now CJ's got to get into Fold from a signing perspective, and I think that's it. I think there's the only two that haven't signed. If I've been following it correctly, I think everybody else.
Speaker 3: Is in in the Fold. But we'll keep an eye on that.
Speaker 2: But Will Anderson signed today, and that is great news. Now I got it. Well, he didn't sign with the Texans. Actually he was waived by the Packers and the Texans claimed his contract. And that's a Mari Rodgers. And last year against the Cowboys, he made one of the plays of the year with a touchdown off a rollout from Jeff Triscoll.
Speaker 1: That was one of those what's driscoll too? Oh he threw a touchdown? Oh my god, Rogers, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it was a crazy play at a big time And of course you knew we had to talk about that with a Mario Rodgers and then some so let's kick it off with our guy and Mari Rodgers with Martyanamir myself. Let's go kicking off a TGI for ride day. Addition of Texas auxis.
Speaker 4: Amari Rodgers joining us in studio. Great to see, Amari, we see out there.
Speaker 1: What is it like?
Speaker 4: You're catching passes from Mills Stroud Keenum new offense?
Speaker 1: You've been through a few. How do you like it?
Speaker 5: I love it?
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 7: The offense that we have here is amazing. You can attack defense in so many different ways. You know, we're running first. Obviously we're gonna pound the ball. You know, officeer line is doing a great job getting off the ball. You know, of course we got DP back there toting it, so that's going to be a plus. And then we just throw it so many different ways, you know, play action, you know, quick game. We can bomb it downfield and Coach Slow's doing a great job, you know, just putting the offense in of course and getting us to understand in the easy way. But then you know, just putting us in a great position is in practice, you know, make play.
Speaker 8: So I'm excited for sure, Mari.
Speaker 2: How how difficult is it to a slant route might be? You know, with different steps and things in one place and it might be different here, So how does it kind of learning the nuances of what but Bobby's luck wants to do with this offense? You know, maybe it's maybe it's three steps, you're cutting your outside foot here, but you know, if it's this, well that's different than the way we used to do it. How does it kind of adapt into some of those things or has it been pretty pretty similar to what you've done before.
Speaker 1: It's just learning new verbiage for sure.
Speaker 7: So the system it's kind of like Green Bay where I was previously, so as far as concepts and stuff, it's kind of like like that.
Speaker 8: So I'm kind of familiar with that.
Speaker 7: But the only thing that I've kind of had to adjust to is you know, the outside foot up inside the numbers, right, and that's kind of different. But you know, it's it's definitely it's definitely easy to adjust to. You know, being a receiver, you got to be able to adjust their little things like that and taking on a fly. So it's not really been a lot of adjustments.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 7: I'm thankful to be able to have been in the system like this in Green Bay. It's helped me learn the offense. But you know he's doing a great job, you know, helping us understand it and go out there and play fast.
Speaker 4: So you know, I harkened back to the touchdown reception against Dallas last year, which was just such a thrilling moment. I mean, do you look back on that as the highlight of the year. I know it wasn't a good year, but that was a great play for you, non for sure.
Speaker 7: Definitely for me, it was definitely a confidence booster, you know, coming from where I came from and just being able to do that against the Dallas Cowboys, who had a great defense last year. It was definitely a confidence booster and it definitely helped me finish the seating strong for sure.
Speaker 2: As you go into this OTAs, I mean, obviously you weren't here last year for OTAs, but you kind of know where everything is. You kind of feel comfortable. I mean, obviously the coaching stat has changed, but there are a lot of familiar faces. How much does that help you going into your two with the Texans, The fact that you've you do know those things. You're not just walking in, you know, almost like a rookie in some sense, going man, where's everything?
Speaker 9: Where do I go?
Speaker 2: How do I kind of figure this out? I mean, you had to do that during the season, which is hard enough. Right now you kind of got that under your belt as you go through OTAs. That's that kind of been for you. That's been good, you know. That's kind of why I wanted to stay here and train here in the off season. So I've kind of been here the whole off season, just training with our training staff and and our and our weight room staff and just building that camarderie with our staff and just building those relationships so that when you know, the season came and training camps camp, training camp came, I was I was just here and I was comfortable. So that's really why I did that, and it's it's really been great for me, uh just now in Ota, just being able to be comfortable with my shoes and where I'm at just go out there and play ball without having to think about those external things.
Speaker 8: So it definitely helped for sure.
Speaker 4: What are you seeing from Stroud so far? It's early on, but early returns.
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 7: Very confident man, He's very confident. He knows what he can do U and he knows where he can put the ball. He knows that he's a great player, and you know that's something that you want to see. You want to see a confident quarterback out there that that that talks to the guys that you know, when we're having a bad day, you know, he's he's bringing this up and he's already being that that kind of leader for the offense. And you know, it's good seeing that as such a young you know, as a rookie. Uh So that's amazing to see. Uh he's and he's grown every single week. He's getting better and better. You know, I'm just de sorried to see, you know, where he's going to become. You know, season starting, well.
Speaker 1: You've seen some good ones, you see some great ones.
Speaker 2: You played with a great one who unfortunately now lives in Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: Did you did you foresee.
Speaker 2: This happening with Trevor Lawrence being the guy that he has become, Because somebody in this room wasn't quite sure about Trevor when he was coming out of Clemson.
Speaker 1: Were you sure that he was going to become this guy at some point?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 7: For sure, no doubt. I knew the way he came into Clemson. U Literally, he from day one. You know, you also in the Texas A and M game his first game, how you threw that touchdown the tee like it was nothing on his first drive. And that's just how he came into Clemson. You know, he came in confident. He knew he was that guy, and you know from day one he played like that. And I knew he was going to battle some adversity, you know, being in Jacksonville. You know, I had to rebuild a little bit a couple of years, but I knew he was gonna get through it, and if they put the right pieces around him, he was gonna be successful. So you know, it's great seeing him do what he's doing him in Travis two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, about Aaron in New York with the Jets, how's that gonna work out? He was at the Tony Awards this week too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I think it's gonna be a good fit for him, especially him having the guys around him that you know, he wanted from Green Bay.
Speaker 8: I think that's gonna be good.
Speaker 7: And they have a lot of young guys too that that's bawling, you know, especially on the defensive side. So they they have a team. Man, they have a good team. So I'm excited to see what they can do this year. You watched Ted Lasso, Ted Lao. Do you watch it?
Speaker 1: It's on Apple Tea on Apple TV. Soccer the Soccer Show.
Speaker 2: Oh no, okay, well there's a character on that show that we have taken to Colin.
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers you would know.
Speaker 2: Okay, got some either ords for you, all right, These are pretty simple. It's pick a new professional sports soccer.
Speaker 8: Or baseball baseball? Okay, sting, Wait, you want.
Speaker 1: To repink that.
Speaker 8: Somebody just got a four year, six hundred and fifty million contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, ben Zima yeah, and Messi turned down one billion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could cree soccer man. That's it's it's a long season, long.
Speaker 8: Seas you take it.
Speaker 2: You can start in a remake of a great movie, either good for you're the star, Goodfellas or Scarface Scarface.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've seen have you seen Goodfellas?
Speaker 8: I'm not familiar.
Speaker 4: You might have seen it, but you've seen scarf Yeah for sure, Yeah, for sure, good.
Speaker 1: Fellas is a good one.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 1: You guys did a team activity the other day. You went bowling.
Speaker 2: So the one team activity now Scott Quasberry added one in there. Either bowling or go karts or paintball.
Speaker 8: Paintball.
Speaker 2: All right, here's the one that's kind of stopped a few people. But I'll ask anyways, in May, we had two concerts in this building. If you had free tickets to go to either one, would it be Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran.
Speaker 7: I'll probably do Taylor Swift just because of how popular she is and just that environ man that she has at her concerts.
Speaker 1: It's nuts.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I listened to her Sharon more, but I would probably want to see lit.
Speaker 1: Hear she's a creating concert, right. I mean I heard she's great, but.
Speaker 4: For sure I made the mistake of watching one Instagram video and now it's.
Speaker 9: Like my phone.
Speaker 1: A fourteen year old girl or something. I don't know. Thanks a lot for being with us.
Speaker 8: Good, thanks for having me, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: That man's inviting the studio anytime.
Speaker 2: He is smooth and fun to talk to, big smile, loves being a text and loves being here. And I think training camp for him is gonna be a big one of He's gonna have an opportunity. He's gonna have opportunities. And if you think about guys that are fighting for spots, fighting for playing time, fighting for a number two role, fighting for a backup role, fighting for a starting role, whatever it might be. You got all these training camp practices, you got three preseason games, you've got four joint practices where you're gonna get a ton of reps against different color jersey. And that's gonna be very, very cool, and Mario Rogers, hopefully's gonna take advantage of that. All right, coming up, we got a guy joining us next that he's never been on Texans Radio, never really had an opportunity to talk to him, got into a building, I think in January. When he left the studio, Mark I looked at each other, like, we like this guy.
Speaker 1: Who is it?
Speaker 3: Then you'll find out next right here on Texans All Access.
Speaker 2: Love being a Friday right here in Texas All Acts, says Simon You our host John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter for your Houston Texans Drew Dordy and I talked about this a little bit, and I don't know why I think it's on my TV screen in front of me, but watching a few of the highlights of last night's College World Series. Baseball, Yeah, baseball, He's almost played baseball in college Air Force Academy, but decided and actually would have played for Paul Mine Are you ended up being the LSU baseball coach. He was Air Force coach way back in the day, but decided to go football because I love football and love more than that. But was watching the LSU game last night. Man, it was one. That's the best zero zero game I think I've ever seen until Tommy the Tank, Tommy Tank's white hit two run bomb for LSU. That was a fun baseball game. And now LISU and Florida will play for the national championship this weekend.
Speaker 1: But that was fun to watch.
Speaker 2: Now, guy that was fun to watch in training camp as a guy that we really didn't have eyes on for a while.
Speaker 1: He played at Toledo. He's from New Jersey.
Speaker 2: Kadar Holman walked in studio and I remember when they gave us the well, Mark gave us the list, gave me the list of who we were interviewing.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, cud Our Holman, Okay, i'mut to work on that one.
Speaker 2: I don't really know a lot about him, but man, we had a blast talking to him, learning his story.
Speaker 3: Just let him talk ball, talking ball with each other. I mean it was really really fun.
Speaker 2: Could our Holman good size, big chip on his shoulder, and you know, for a good reason. The guy's kind of kind of been around, He's seen some things, had a great start this career at Green Bay, and he's kind of bounced around a little bit. Have an opportunity at training camp, has no doubt about that. And with Steven Nelson, as John McClain pointed out last night, and not participating in OTAs, it opened the door for guys like Kadar Holman to step up, Kobe Francis to step up and get some reps against the ones and twos.
Speaker 3: So Kadar Holman really fun interview that we had with him.
Speaker 4: And it's right now Kadar Holman joining us on Texans Radio. Kadar, how's it going? Welcome back to the Texans. Good to be bad, good to be bag?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: So you were with us in twenty twenty one and since then have been with a lot of different teams. I mean you've made a lot of stops. Do you not unpack the bag? How do you handle this? Because here you are carving out your career in the NFL and it's a process, right, going to different teams and finding out what the perfect fit is.
Speaker 10: I just feel like, you know, in the beginning of my career, I was set, and then when I got traded, that was kind of like of like a course where it's still going, you know, where I've just been moving around and you know, learning, learning, learning a lot of new things about the business, you know, just being a sponge in this in this field, in this football career. But like, I just feel like it's altogether made me a better player. And I feel like I was meant to come back here. So hopefully my my career traveling it ends right here.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you're right, and I hope you're right.
Speaker 2: But now that you're back here, I want to say differences between twenty twenty one twenty twenty three, because we've only got a few minutes with you, not a whole day, but being back here in twenty twenty three, how different defensive scheme? How different is it when you go from a different team, come of learning new verbiage, new language.
Speaker 1: I know, a lot of things are the same.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, it's cover three cover, you know, but teams have little tweaks and things that they do differently within those different coverages. Can So how different is it being back here a couple of years after the fact.
Speaker 10: Uh, this is it's like a total difference just from the type, like like the scheme that when I first got here under a Levey to where I'm at now here is like one was like a real all one hundred percent zone, right and then now it's like a mixture. But it's like a zone, but like a way more aggressive zone.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 10: So I just feel like maybe when I first got here that defense was more so like you had to know more and more verbiage because stuff could change. But now it's just more so they just want to, like, you know, pin your ears back and let you play.
Speaker 4: Right, Kadar Holman joining us. You're a bigger corner, So how does that help you against some of these receivers and how hard is it to cover some of the smaller really fast guys like a tank Dell who's out there right now.
Speaker 10: I feel like just being a bigger corner it gives you an advantage. Well, I want to say, being a bigger corner that's able to have agility, speed and do all the things that a smaller wide receiver might do. Because now you got a little bit of both, not being an overly sized big corner, but just big enough to the point where you if to the point where if you go against a regular size receiver or a little smaller receiver, it's gone.
Speaker 9: You're gonna have an effect on them.
Speaker 10: So I feel like going against somebody like Tank you, No, you gotta be patient.
Speaker 9: You gotta be patient, and you gotta be real good with your feet.
Speaker 10: That's just not somebody who you could just try to out physical at the line because he's small.
Speaker 9: You know, he like a lightning bowl in a bottle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he can slip by you.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he can slip by you.
Speaker 10: So you you want to know when to be physical and when the layoff because somebody like that could use it against you.
Speaker 2: Now, obviously, when you play the position, you've got to be very technique sound in what you do. Yeah, But there's also an art to play in the position, too, is there not? Kind of I don't say putting your style on it, but you also have to put your style on it in some way, shape or form. So playing corner, do you think it's more scientific technique or do you think it's more the art of playing the position, kind of learning how you play the position.
Speaker 10: I think technique bring you a far away, Like if you got technique, you don't gotta be the fastest. And you know, I mean it's some in some areas that you don't got to be the best in because your technique is gona it's gonna make you it's gonna it's gonna bring your game to another level, and it's gonna make you win a lot of battles that if you didn't have technique, that wouldn't have happened. You wouldn't be able to make that to make that one movement that you did so so so good if you didn't have your technique to get out that break. So I feel like technique is definitely and but then also you know, just also like learning the art of being the dB.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kajar Holman joining us. You're a Texan right now. You're also a rocket, a Toledo Rocket. So what brought you out there to Toledo. I've been to the Glass Bowl by the way, nice place.
Speaker 10: I mean, you know, coming out of high school, I wasn't really heavily recruited, you know, just coming from like East Coast Jersey. Like you ask somebody word Ohio, is that they're not even gonna be.
Speaker 9: Able to tell you which way.
Speaker 10: Nothing abouttle I thought that was a totally different I thought that was like going on Chicago time, but then it wasn't. I just felt like coming out, I wasn't heavily recruited, so I didn't have a lot of choices some you know, one of the coaches that was there at the time hit me up to like walk on and earn a scholarship. So you know, I was with it because at the end of the day, all you can ask for is the opportunity.
Speaker 2: I feel like greatness comes out of adversity that you talk about that, like, hey, we want to invite you to be a walk on. And I know you're thinking, I'm a scholar, I'm a scholar player how And this sounds cliche in some sense, but I.
Speaker 1: Think it's true.
Speaker 2: How much of a chip on your shoulder did you have kind of going through that process to say, hey, I can do this. You will give me a scholarship, I will get myself to the NFL. Those are all lofty goals because you know the numbers don't always work. But is that the way you approached it, Like watch this, I'm gonna show you.
Speaker 10: Yeah, every day, every day, Like sometimes I'll leave practice just mad, just like but like not specifically mad as somebody, but just you know, mad about my situation. But of course, like it's like the type of mad where not the negative man that comes off and like as like a bad teammate type of like oh, like you know, like it's like a statement like I'm pissed for greatness like something like that, where I really just wanted to keep getting better and show that I shouldn't have been to walk on Kadar.
Speaker 4: Give me one thing about Jersey that you like, the the brand of New Jersey. That's the chip on the shoulder kind of thing, right with the New Jersey guys.
Speaker 1: Am I right about that?
Speaker 10: Nah, You're definitely right, Like you know, coming out of Jersey, like we just always I feel like I feel like the just you got that competitive sent that that competitive in you, that competitive grit in you that you're not gonna get everywhere, like like our mentalities is way different, Like we're gonna be in your face and we're not gonna be scared, and and like I just feel like, I mean like a lot of places, they're not gonna be ready for that. So you know our personalities, we aggressive and we're gonna bring it.
Speaker 2: You've done, You've done a really good job with these interviews. But now I'm gonna put you on the gonna look little bit. How about a few either ors?
Speaker 9: Ready? All right?
Speaker 1: Do it ready? It's pretty simple. It's airb.
Speaker 2: Back in May, we had two concerts at Energy Stadium. If you had free tickets to go to either one, would you go to either Taylor Swift or Ed Sheeran.
Speaker 9: Dang, I don't even know who is.
Speaker 2: So that must be as Taylor Swift.
Speaker 4: I don't know about her even Wait wait, all right, so what's your favorite musical artist?
Speaker 1: Who do you want to go see?
Speaker 4: I've got free tickets to see anybody anywhere in the world.
Speaker 10: I mean, just going off by who be having good performances.
Speaker 9: You can take me to a future concert.
Speaker 2: All right, one's gotta go either Instagram or TikTok.
Speaker 10: I never I've never been a TikTok person, Like, yeah, I got TikTok's gotta go.
Speaker 9: It's gonna go anyway soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, the best team activity now I know y'all went bowling. I'm gonna give you option either bowling or go karts gold carts for sure.
Speaker 1: Really, yea, go carts are bowling? Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: You could star in a remake of a movie, a famous movie, and you're the star either Good Fellas or Scarface.
Speaker 1: You're going way back, I know.
Speaker 9: Way back, but I've seen both. I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Movie person.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go with scarfleeves.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, you're a movie guy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm a movie guy.
Speaker 1: All right, we gotta talk.
Speaker 2: Okay, cheap meal, tell you guys got to eat, right, lads, always after you either barbecue or text.
Speaker 1: Mex barbecue, barbecue.
Speaker 4: Okay, very nice, Kadar, thanks a lot for being with us.
Speaker 1: Good luck you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a good one. At the end, me, Kadar, that had some fump to it, so it was pretty good. Man, Our homie was a fun interview for sure. Now a guy back in the day, it was a very funny interview. Is Antoine Caldwell Bubba Caldwell playing the interior offensive line. Drew Doherty caught up with him in a little where are They Now? Where's Antoine Calldwell, Well, he'll be next on Texans' Access. We go one final segment of this this year Texans All Access before we head into the weekend. Make sure you check out the Twitter feed tomorrow wrote an article You'll you'll definitely love it.
Speaker 3: You will definitely love it. There's no way you won't, So make.
Speaker 2: Sure you check that out. Houston Texans at Houston Texans on Twitter. Check out John Harris Football and a SOUDELND reporter for your Houston Texans. You'll love this article, trust me. And tomorrow is key. It's about to date and you'll you'll get it when you see it tomorrow, But just make sure you check that out. Also check out this where are They Now? Antwuan called well Alabama, Crimson Todd got to Texas, played on the interior, offits line. What's he doing now? Well, Jude already caught up with him right here.
Speaker 6: Welcome into where are They Now? This one features Antwin called Well slim, slender and smelt offensive lineman for the Texans. You're looking good man, How are you man?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great, Drew.
Speaker 11: I really appreciate you having me on and I appreciate that con introduction.
Speaker 6: Well, you grew up in Bama, grew up wanting to be a running back or a quarterback for the Tide. You've got to Tuscaloosa, but you're one of the best offensive linemen that school's ever had. You play four years there. And what are you doing these days? And what's going on?
Speaker 12: Where are you?
Speaker 11: Well, I'm here in Houston, specifically in Missouri City, right outside of Houston. And I've been in the energy business now for about six years, so specifically more natural gas.
Speaker 5: Sales here in town. And man, it's been great.
Speaker 11: It's been great, no complaints, got married, got two little girls, so my hands are full of most days.
Speaker 5: But man, life is good.
Speaker 12: That's great to hear.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 6: What have you thought recently about the hiring of your former teammate both in college and with the Texans, Demico Ryans. I imagine you were not surprised by it that he could be a head coach, But what did you think of it?
Speaker 11: And it's incredible, Honestly, all the all the cliche buzzwords you can throw out, they all they all hit home. You know, everybody knows Tomko obviously as a great player, but you know, just been knowing Tomko just as a man. I don't know if I can recall a more consistent man and person than Demiko. I mean, unbelievable leader, unbelievable presence, and I think everybody that knows the Mikos, everybody says the same thing. So, you know, it's an incredible hard to get him back here in Houston, and I'm very proud for him and his family.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I interviewed him before that Cotton Bowl game back in Alato five earlier six and then I worked here for the Texans his last three years here as a player and saw him up close a little bit more. It's it's kind of like I mentioned a moment ago, it's not surprising that he is the head coach, yet it's stunning that he's the head coach here. I thought it was too good to be true, really, right? You kind of along those same lines.
Speaker 11: I guess I'll say yes and no. I just I think that it was clear that he was going to be a head coach. I think, like you said, everybody that kind I knew him, you know, it was kind of one of those things if he wanted to be a head coach, he would be at some point, But do I do think it's kind of surreal. You know, it's kind of storybook to come back to your team that drafted you and where you kind of were homegrown, and that part of it is just again, it's just amazing to kind of see. So I know he is fired up about it, though he was fired up about it, and you know, it's just it's great to see it kind of go the right way.
Speaker 6: Tell me about your career at Alabama. You started so many games there, you were an All American your final year there. Yet you played for two coaches. You played for Shula and you played for Saban. That's quite a change from who whoever was before next day, it doesn't matter who it is. That's a big change when he comes in and takes over, isn't it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Yeah, it sure is. But you know, I think I was incredibly close with coach Shula. You know, still still keep in touch with him from time to time, and you know, he was the one of the coach that brought me in, so I always had a great relationship with him, and you know, it was quite the shift, honestly from him to Nick, not not so much from you know, some of the things that we were doing, you know, on the field, but just more off the field.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a lot of different, you.
Speaker 11: Know things that Nick came in and he implemented, you know, different programs and systems. And again, obviously you couldn't deny his his his uh, you know, his reputation and some of the stuff that he had done in the past. So I think it was just amazing to kind of see that shift. And we were a little bit resistant, you know, early on, kind of like who's this guy? But then he gets in there, you know, and literally after the first team being he just knew like, okay, this is kind of a new sheriff in town, and you know, it's kind off to the races.
Speaker 3: From there, you listen to Antoine Caldwell and where are they now?
Speaker 6: Were man Drew Doherty And in their own ways, each of those two men had very deep knowledge and very deep insight about the NFL, and I'm sure that kind of melded a little bit into helping get you ready for the league.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I think that is huge, I really do.
Speaker 11: I think having coaches that had that insight and you know, expertise to the next level is huge. You know, you can literally go to those guys and have those conversations where they literally close the door and say, hey, this is what these teams are looking for, or this is what this scout is looking at.
Speaker 5: Those type of things I think is.
Speaker 11: Incredibly beneficial for players when they're getting ready to go to the next level.
Speaker 5: So I think it definitely helped me out a lot.
Speaker 6: You see some of that, like coming to fruition with guys like Will Anderson and Henry Tots. They're the latest that played for SABAN, and then you know, before that last year Christian Harris, and we'll see about John Matchew because of all the stuff that he's having to go through. But certainly playing for SABAN is going to get you a little bit extra prepared for the NFL, probably more so than playing for some other coaches, right.
Speaker 5: No doubt. And I think again a lot of people know that about Nick.
Speaker 11: I mean, he's done it all right, but it's it's like I said, it's his reputation, it's his credibility when he says, hey, I've been at the next level, I know what to look for. These are the things specifically I'd like for you to prove on, you know, and That's what Nick's always been about. It say, steady small improvements daily, and you know, to be able to have like a you know, a real goal to kind of scratch off every day or every month or every off season is huge. And that's what he kind of implemented when he came to Alabama for us.
Speaker 6: Take me back to draft weekend two thousand and nine. You're hoping to get your name called. What was it like? Set the story for us, and then tell us what happened once the call came in.
Speaker 11: Well, you know, I didn't really have a lot of like meetings with a lot of teams. So I heard a lot of different players that I was close with, and like, hey, I met with so and so. Hey I met with so and so.
Speaker 5: So I was kind of I was kind of more like, uh, does that mean something wrong that I hadn't met with a lot of teams?
Speaker 12: But I kind of nervous.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So I'm kind of going into it. I really didn't know what to really expect. And I kind of had kind of a range where I thought I kind of would be drafted all the way from like you know, second to the fourth grand So I kind of didn't know where things were going, and so kind of draft day, I thought I was going to kind of go. The day before had had a call or two and that that didn't work out. And then the next day I kind of was actually helped. I was more relaxed going into day two, and I was kind of like, you know what, I don't really know what's going to happen today.
Speaker 5: And when the draft started, I just.
Speaker 11: Remember being hadving all my family around, and you know, I was actually my phone was on the table, kind of like a movie scene, and I was getting ready to go outside and kind of just shoot some hoops, relax a little bit. Then I hear the phone ring, so immediately I whipped my head around. I run over and I look at the phone and I see an eight three two area code. I'm like, being a three three four Alabama, but I'm like, I have seen this. So I look up at the screen. I'm like, Houston. Then I looked down on that I said, Houston said, oh man, this is the Texans. So so I picked it up. Rick was on the line, and kind of, you know, the rest is history. From there was a great conversation. I was super excited to be a Texan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you joined an offensive line that was pretty darn good, you know, and Gary Kubiak and that offense had really started to get going and do some things. And we would see that offensive line really paved the way for those eleven and twelve football teams that went to the playoffs. What was it like when you get to town and you are in the room with a lot of those guys because you had Dwayne Brown and Chris Meyers and Wade's well, Wade Smith came later, but Eric Winston, a lot of really good players on that offensive line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. It was amazing.
Speaker 11: It was a great It's probably the best experience I could ever have being a rookie. And I don't know a lot of people know the late great Alex Gibs, but he was here. Then it was the coach with Coach Ben, and I don't think as a rookie I could have had any better leadership and better guidance for kind of developing as a rookie. Having gives it all of his years of experience, and then, like you said, having guys like Dwayne and Chris and Eric and all those guys ended up being Pro bowlers, you know. And then Wade came in later, and you know, it was just a great It was a great group. You know, it was a little bit I guess you could say a little bit of daunting when I first got here and knowing that you know, their their accolades and achievements, But once I kind of got in the room with them, they made me feel like family from day one.
Speaker 5: So it was a great group.
Speaker 2: You listen, Antwine called well and aware they now with Drew Jerty, you.
Speaker 6: Brught up Gibbs and he was there I think that one year at the end of nine. He's there before, but O nine I think was around about his last year.
Speaker 12: Maybe another.
Speaker 6: But back then, when you'd go to a road game, you go through security here at Energy Stadium and then you get on the bus and there were three buses for the team and then one bus for everybody else.
Speaker 12: And I was on the everybody else bus.
Speaker 6: Like every time I got on that everybody else bus, and I was usually one of the first on it. Alex Gibbs was always on that everybody else bus, in the very front row ahead of everyone else. Yeah, his watch waiting to go, and that thing wasn't leaving for another twenty thirty minutes, but he was there wearing his loafers and his sportcoat ready to rock man man.
Speaker 8: He was.
Speaker 11: Seriously, I mean, I wish, I wish everybody could experience Gibbs for the.
Speaker 5: Good and the bad, because he was he was. He was quite a man, quite a character.
Speaker 11: But honestly, from a pure football perspective, his knowledge and experience and insight on the game, I mean, it's unmatched from offensive line playing for a lot of people that watch offensive line play nowadays. I mean, I would think half of the league runs his system that he kind of helped create back in the day. So you know, it was a great man. I couldn't answer any better when I first came in.
Speaker 12: Yeah, what was your rookie year?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 6: Take us through it, because it's a big one for the franchise, the first time the Texans had ever been over five hundred. They went nine and seven that year and win that final game against the Patriots, and for a few hours there was a chance of getting the playoffs, but things didn't work out with some other teams. What was that you're like for you because it was big for the organization, but you were going through your own things as a professional for the very first time in the NFL.
Speaker 5: That's right, man, Drew. Honestly, I don't know.
Speaker 11: I don't think there's ever been a longer year in my life just from preparing to you know, get drafted. Then you just go straight into Ben having that type of season where it just kind of pouring everything you can into it. But it was so rewarded and honestly, like you would hear the stories of man, we haven't had a winning season and haven't done this, and haven't done that, and to really be right on the cusp at the end of the season, like you said in great memory by the way, bringing all that up, it was great to see, honestly, and you can kind of tell that we were starting to kind of turn the corner a little bit. Guys are starting to believe, and you know, I think a lot of people were buying in to what Kubak was doing, and I feel like we had kind of started to turn the corner.
Speaker 5: So it was great to be a part of.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one of the reasons you guys were so good that year was that rookie class and they would really help out in the years to come as well. But think about the production from that class. You at the top, you had Brian Cushing in the first round. You had Connor Barwin who would have a double digit sack season with the Texans and then going to Pro Bowls elsewhere. You all said Glover Quinn, he's one of the best lions in history, and he was really really good here. Arian Foster didn't even get drafted, but he wound up being who he was. Tim Jamison another undrafted rookie who actually got called up before Arian did that season. But a lot of guys that I'm leaving a few out, I'm sure did you feel a special kinship with those guys? You still feel and have a special kinship with those guys. I didn't mention James Casey, Anthony Hill. They need to be mentioned too.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, I really do, Drew, that's a great question, and I do think that that was a special group, you know, and you asked the question before we kind of got started kind of keeping in touch with guys kind of all of them periodically. You know, we'll even if it's on group chat or you know, run into somebody at dinner or wherever it is.
Speaker 5: You know, it's always like you kind of pick up where you left off.
Speaker 11: And I do think that was kind of a sign of how close our group was, you know, let alone the impact that some of us maybe had on the player side, but just you know, great people, great me and everybody's family man now and kind of seeing how everybody's kind of spread out in different places.
Speaker 5: It's just awesome to see.
Speaker 1: It's little where are they now?
Speaker 3: If Antoine called, well, what's.
Speaker 12: Your favorite memory as of Houston, Texan, and that's you.
Speaker 11: Know, it's a lot of them, you know, I think, you know, I always think about the games that we had, you know, I think when we won we clinched the playoff Birthday Cincinnati. I think that was in twenty eleven was a big one. I think there was a game maybe in twenty ten. I think we played the Commanders at Washington. I remember being down like twenty in the four to start the fourth quarter and kind of remembering how ye yep, and kind of remembering how Andre kind of took over that fourth quarter and how we ended up coming back to win that one, And you know, just man, it's a lot of different memories, and I think personally, for me, probably where I had the most like kind of starstruck moment. I think we were playing Baltimore at Baltimore in the second round.
Speaker 5: Being there and kind of getting in that game.
Speaker 11: And seeing like ray Lewis and some of those guys for the first time being right across from was kind of like one of those moments like man, this is this is insane, but then having it kind of snap back to it, like, hey, I got a job to do, like I got to get you know, get going. So you know, just having those type of memories and stuff that I'll never forget and it's just a great experience.
Speaker 6: I'm glad you brought that game up because that's one of the all time dog fights in franchise history. And it was just one of those games you leave and you know, like you were that close, but you everything was left out there. Not that it's not on other days, but goodness pacious, that was a slobber knocker. JJ Watt he has said that's the greatest game he's ever been a part of. Wow, even though the Texans didn't come out on top of it. Yeah, take me back to that Chili day in Baltimore in mid January twenty ten.
Speaker 5: That's it. Honestly, I could probably could summon up better.
Speaker 11: I mean, I just remember everything from the bus ride to the stadium, how crazy it was kind of going there, and then.
Speaker 5: You know, when we came out for foremost kind of saying it is, yeah, it is Chris out here.
Speaker 11: But it was beautiful, like a beautiful there's a perfect playoff game sitting, you know. And I kind of went into that game, you know, knowing that knowing that Baltimore had a great team. Obviously you see it on film, you knew the background and the pedigree. But I felt going into that game, I felt that we matched up pretty well with and I thought that, you.
Speaker 5: Know, we had a great week of work.
Speaker 11: I was like, you know what we really need coming here, and I feel like we're just as good as those guys are, you know, as you said as one of the day, they said, one of the best games he's you know, he's been a part of. I kind of felt like that back and forth the whole game. I felt like at no point that I felt like we were a lesser team, and that's what you want in playoff games. And you know, I remember that being there. You know, we came up short, but you know, it's amazing to be in that in that environment.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: One of the many things I remember from that game was pre pre game on the field, just looking around once once the fans were let in, because that doesn't happen, I think until about two hours prior to kick off and the team gets there four hours ahead or three and a half. But I remember, you know, it's kind of empty and there's just stadium workers doing their thing before the game. But then the fans are let in and it seemed like I blinked and just all along the first row, the entire field, I mean, the whole circle, it was all battle red. It was all Texans fans ye travel or come in from wherever to cheer on the Texans on the road. It was really an eye opening experience. I don't ever remember that, or I hadn't remembered that prior right to that playoff game, and it was it was really freaking cool.
Speaker 12: Do you remember that too? Is that that spark anything?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 5: And that's kind of when I.
Speaker 11: Was saying the environment I had never seen us, I guess, kind of take over like a stadium and that energy in that buzz, you know, like I said, even from you know, right before we went out for warm ups. You could just slowly start to kind of feel it and see it build, and it's kind of like, man, this is this is amazing to be a part of. And yeah, I remember like you do, Drew. It was crazy to see, you know, all the fans and all the support that we had. And I think that probably played in a little bit to how well we played even though it came short.
Speaker 12: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 6: So who do you still keep in touch with and talking up with from those days?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 11: You know a lot of guys just mainly through text, but you know obtually the Domico, Dwayne and a lot of guys.
Speaker 5: Oh this is interesting.
Speaker 11: I actually I'm a huge fantasy football fan and I started a fantasy football league with all of us former guys.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you.
Speaker 5: Know you got you know, Eric Winston, Arian Wade.
Speaker 12: Wait wait did you what did you just say? What name? Did you just slide in there?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Eric Winston, Arian Arian Foster.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, about cracking on fantasy football when he was a player.
Speaker 12: I love that still.
Speaker 6: I've heard it from I think Wade let me in and told me about this a few years back, and I was like, what we are right?
Speaker 5: Right exactly? Yeah, I mean it's times. Times have changed.
Speaker 11: And I actually didn't even have the strong on He's like, actually wanted to do it, so but yeah, you know, so we got a couple, you know, we got about ten twelve guys in the league, and honestly we just kind of, you know, stay in touch on that and kind of you know, go back and forth.
Speaker 5: So it's just it's great. It's great to kind of see where everybody is.
Speaker 6: That's fun. It's cool, you'll keep in touch. It was a special time in team history if you think about it, franchise history.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 11: It was and I and again, I think you know, every time you pick up where you left off of those guys, you know, you like say you see them out or you're talking over text or whatever.
Speaker 5: Man, it's just always been the same thing.
Speaker 6: So it's just great, Hey, now you're an offensive lineman, but you were on the offense with Andre Johnson. And one thing that I do when I talk to all of you guys, because I do this, I try to do this on a weekly basis is.
Speaker 12: Where are they now? Podcasts?
Speaker 6: I know it, you know it. Most of the people that are listening or watching this know it. But there's some dummies out there that don't. Why does Andre Johnson belong in the Pro Football Hall of Fame? What's your reasoning for it?
Speaker 11: Well, I'll go back to when I first came to the Texans.
Speaker 5: I remember during.
Speaker 11: Like conditioning and like training camp, just little stuff like I'm like.
Speaker 9: Oh about, I'm like this you.
Speaker 11: Hear about, but watching him work even I think at that point it was like year like nine or ten, which you know, he was solidified, right, he didn't have to do all that, but he'd go run and go route and he'd sprint back, you know, right afterwards and get right back up and go. I had never seen a player of his stature still work as hard as he did. So from a peer like work perspective, I would say that, But then you look at the production and the performance and everything he put on the field. I mean it's like it's almost a no brain. I don't know how it hadn't happened yet, but you know, I think, you know, we keep the faith and I think he'll I think he'll end up getting.
Speaker 5: Over the hump.
Speaker 12: Yeah for sure. Yeah, it's uh, that's one of the things.
Speaker 6: When I started what that it was a common refrain from young players experienced players. Is how hard he worked in the offseason, how hard he worked in the weight room, how hard he worked. Just basically what you didn't see on game day, you know, all that stuff that he was doing beforehand is one of the reasons he was so excellent on game day.
Speaker 11: It was and you know, it would literally I'd be times in the weight room, I'm just like, I'm supposed to be doing what I'm doing.
Speaker 5: I'm just watching him.
Speaker 11: We might not even be doing the same lifts or exercise, but everything he did was so intentional, like he he had a purpose, like he knew he was in there and to handle his business. And he showed me kind of early on what kind of work ethic is needed to be successful in the in the league. And you know, and I still, you know, I'll tell anybody, you know, I was like, you know, it's a couple of guys I can think of when I was playing that those had that type of effect on people.
Speaker 5: Andre is definitely one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Oh There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: And a big thanks Chancewayan Caldwell and Drew Dorry that way they now was absolutely awesome. Big thanks to Kadar Holman and to Amari Rodgers and of course mar Vandamir who'll be back on Monday, so the gang will be back together. Then, enjoy your week and everybody, we'll see you on Monday, and as always is go Texans.