Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios podcasts, radio news, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move.
Speaker 4: I'm Carol Master, along with Tim Stanovik and with us as Bloomberg News Equities reporter Avalon Parnell. We're all talking about the semiconductor sector, and it really is because of Intel today.
Speaker 3: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 5: That's ticker I INTC jumping now about twenty one percent to hit a record intraday high. And that's after Intel reported a really big first quarter beat and also gave much stronger than expected forecast for the second quarter. Evercore writing that company's new CEO seems to be really executing on a strategy that appears to at least be putting Intel back on the right foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's just amazing the stock and what it has done this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, we have just seen such a bounce.
Speaker 1: Has done last year.
Speaker 3: It's more than double one hundred and twenty percent higher.
Speaker 4: We've talked about the US taking a position in this company, but I keep going back to what Ed Luvelow said and I think we talked about this with you before.
Speaker 3: About.
Speaker 4: You know, the government investment in the company, the arrangements that Intel figured out, you know, so that it could get some money funding into the company, so that it could pursue what it needs to do to kind of get the company back on track. I guess longer term, we'll see whether or not it all plays off. But the quarter looks super strong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and investors, I guess they're looking past the foundry business that is still losing billions of dollars.
Speaker 3: So exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: You don't really see that mentioned as often in the notes compared to everything else that was very much green and very good.
Speaker 1: Okay, what else you watching avalon?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we can talk about Charter Communications. That's ticker c HTR, probably a slightly different one. It's sinking now about twenty five percent, most inter day on record. This after the cable company, which is behind names like Spectrum, reported weaker than expected first quarter results. City writing that Charter's results were especially mixed strategic volumes, and also that broadband revenue came in underwhelmingly. Hello, and so analyst also mentioned that especially considering the fact that we had Comcast their rival report earlier this week. It was kind of interesting that the reports look very different, to say the least.
Speaker 4: And I guess I would say that, like every right, cable company just not the same in terms of its exposure.
Speaker 3: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean the thing about cable companies, these are natural monopolies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so in terms of regions and areas, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's been so much m and A over the past twenty thirty forty years at this point, since the advent of cable in the early eighties that, yeah, they each have this this area of the country that they dominate. I think the big question is is to what extent does wireless and I mean you talk about.
Speaker 3: Starlink all the time, Yeah, I do, okay.
Speaker 1: In certain areas, the wireless delivery of internet, which is you know, a real threat to these companies because their broadband business was seen as the area of growth because traditional TV has been in decline.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, well said, well said, And you do wonder, okay, what's no And we talk about disruptions so many times.
Speaker 1: Almost like I used to cover.
Speaker 4: That's why I'm like two Ovlon.
Speaker 3: Come on back, You've got numont as your third style.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's ticker n EM that is also jumping now about seven point nine percent most inter day since July. And that's after the world's largest gold producer report at first quarter results that maybe slightly unsurprisingly surpassed Wallstreet's expectations. The minor also pledged to repurchase six billion dollars in shares.
Speaker 3: That always helps, Yes.
Speaker 5: I mean it also helps that there was an unprecedented rally in gold prices, so you can imagine they're very happy over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I just blown away by this year how much we've been talking about gold, how much we've just talking about metals, minerals, rare earths, like all of it, like for a while now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, gold hit a high on January twenty eighth. It was at fifty four to seventeen announced. Right now, it's trading at forty seven to twenty.
Speaker 3: War has played around with this one, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean there's this complicated sort of interest rate calculation. You know, when people think differently about rates and what rates are going to do for the year, they think differently about gold, so it kind of loses its status a little bit. Some would argue, yeah, as a safe haven.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Avalon's like, kay, kids, I'm still here. We just like amuse ourselves. Great three stocks.
Speaker 4: I think what's really interesting is you're seeing some really big moves in either direction, even if the SMP isn't moving that much, certainly the Nasdaq one hundred is, but you are seeing individual names bouncing around all right.
Speaker 3: Avalon Parnell. She is Bloomberg News Equities.
Speaker 2: Reporter the Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live. Catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.