Speaker 1: So right, are your birthdays coming up?
Speaker 2: We all know your birthdays, which leads me to ask a brother, which is, hey, you don't get to talk directly to us, Danielle, what is the best birthday present you've ever gotten?
Speaker 1: In your O?
Speaker 3: My wife, I guess this was my fortieth birthday, so oh god.
Speaker 4: Six years ago.
Speaker 3: Had a vinyl album made for me and asked family and friends of mine to each contribute a song. And so what I ended up getting was a two record set of songs with liner notes explaining why everyone picked their song.
Speaker 4: That's cool and it was one of.
Speaker 3: The So I have this record and you know she printed it, so it has like pictures from our life on it and me on it. And then I open it up and yeah, there's like a little message from people in my life saying this song. Here's why I picked it because of this memory, or because this always makes me think of you, or I knew you would like this song, or whatever you know you introduced me. But everyone had their own reason why they picked a song they picked. But yeah, it's truly like I mean, I just fell apart and bald opening it up, and then I can still pull it out and put it on and hear a whole collection of the It's such a great gift. Yeah, so that was by far, like one of the coolest, most thoughtful, and you know, it still goes on, Like I can still listen to it and still get back into that mindset.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about you. Anybody else got a favorite gift?
Speaker 2: Well, probably the gift that stands out the most of me is my godfather for my sixteenth birthday gave me my car. So I still have my Selica, my eighty six Selica. So when I was a gift, Yeah, that was a gift. It was a gift from my uncle Fred, who's no longer here, who was the nicest guy in the world.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he gave me my car, which again it's.
Speaker 5: Still huge, so cute.
Speaker 1: That was a good one. He was a great guy.
Speaker 2: Is my dad's college roommate, and he was my godfather when I was born and he was just a wonderful man.
Speaker 1: And yeah, so still have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 5: And part of this is like because not even because the gift itself was so amazing, it was the way the gift was done was so memorable. When we were living it was like the first year we were living in our new house in Calabasas, so I was probably twelve or maybe thirteen at the most. My mom for my birthday did a scavenger hunt where you know, there was like the first present and then there was a clue to go find the next present somewhere in the house or somewhere else, and I had to go find it. And the gifts were just like little things that got progressively bigger, and they ended with a Commodore sixty four. Compute.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Commodore sixty four. Commoore, me too, did YouTube. We all had commodorees.
Speaker 1: They were the best.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, and it was so cool.
Speaker 5: But like I remember the scavenger hunt of it all. One of the reasons I remember the scavenger hunt to is because my mom had this pair of shoes that I loved that were like black snake skin and they were they dipped down really low and showed a lot of tow cleavage, and I loved them. I wanted them so bad, even though I had nowhere at thirteen to wear toe cleavage snakeskin shoes, but I loved them. My mom put a clue in one of those shoes under you know, under the dining room table or whatever. And I thought that was the big gift that she was giving me the shoes. I was like, She's like, no, that's still my I'm just putting a clue in it because I know you love them.
Speaker 1: But I just went tow cleavage or was out a thing.
Speaker 5: I think it's a thing I did not. Okay, no, I'm sure I've heard them somewhere before. Anyway, that was probably my best.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: It's like a full experience. To make it a whole treasure hunt is so cool. We've done that for India a few times, like different different special occasions. We've had like, yeah, clues that we hired and it's so fun.
Speaker 5: It's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my parents did that. Once I got to the end, there was nothing there. They're like, yeah, life disappoints you.
Speaker 4: Oh God, life less.
Speaker 5: Happy birthday, Happy birthday son. That never happened for I know, I know, you know, we know your parents well enough.
Speaker 1: To never do that.
Speaker 5: They would never do that, not to the baby of the family, not to me.
Speaker 4: Will will change. We put them on a bus and send them to New York.
Speaker 6: It smokes.
Speaker 4: Make some money for this family.
Speaker 1: I had to fly. I hadn't spread my wings and fly. It's just the way.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Pod meets World.
Speaker 1: I'm Daniel Fishal, I'm right or strong, and I'm Wilfordell.
Speaker 5: As a child actor, you hire an agent, missed school sit an endless freeway traffic audition for judge strangers, and in turn more knows than door to door room temperature salmon salesman. That's even mean you don't know about the temperature room temperature salmon salesman.
Speaker 1: I did not. I was unaware that this was a profession.
Speaker 5: Surprise. Now imagine the results of this career path somehow doesn't end in disappointment like a large percentage of your competition. Instead, you end up starring in a hit sitcom and become part of the expansive Beethoven cinematic universe, which, let's be honest, is as close to young actor royalty as you can get. She grew up on sets alongside her twin brother, who also somehow established an amazing career, both as a child and ever since. She was around for the summer blockbuster era and the days when a staggering fifteen million viewers barely got her show than nanny to crack Nielsen's Top twenty. She's best known as Maggie Sheffield, the older sister that Fran Fine aka Fran Dresher was hired to look after, but has since been on shows like Masters of Sex, Criminal Minds, and Good American Family. Oh, she's also super Girl. But now she's here talking to us about all of those memories. So this week on pod Meets World, let's say hello to Nicole Tom.
Speaker 4: Hello, why who?
Speaker 5: How are you? Good to see you?
Speaker 6: Nice to see all of you. I'm looking at everybody's backdrop, I know.
Speaker 4: Mean, you have so much going on in yours.
Speaker 5: You look like you're in a place where they would give psychic readings. Do you do tarot card readings out of there?
Speaker 6: No? And I've never been given the deck.
Speaker 5: Either or this is a missed opportunity I know.
Speaker 6: And my friends actually I have two friends that have their own, uh Tarot cards. Yeah, and they have actual photos. Like so weird that you would mentioned tarot cards like a psychic.
Speaker 5: I feel like you need to have your own eight hundred number at the bottom of.
Speaker 6: Your stream right now.
Speaker 5: I would totally call you for a psychic breathing, right, miss Tom yeah, see I like this.
Speaker 1: You should have just come in sideways going past lives.
Speaker 6: The crystal balls. I mean, it's just gorgeous.
Speaker 5: Is this your house? Sorry to keep harping on it, is this your house?
Speaker 6: It's just beautiful my crafting garage.
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 5: I just I love this.
Speaker 6: It's really crazy.
Speaker 5: It's very cool looking. Honestly, I really like this.
Speaker 6: It's nice. But yeah, and you guys, I mean the two boys they have, you know, Will and right they you guys.
Speaker 5: Have a lot going on, dark and stormy, dark and stormy back there, yeah, both of them. Will's in a batcave and and writers in a in a book dungeon. Uh. Yeah, Mine is to be a little brighter because I also have to use it for QVC, so wow QVC. Yeah, I have a haircare line and we sell on QVC, so I sometimes I have to do it from zoom when I can't make it all the way out to Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Everything behind Danielle is currently for sale.
Speaker 5: Exactly would be dazzled Voss water.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just got this at the Dancing with the Stars twentieth anniversary party.
Speaker 6: One these pears on the.
Speaker 5: Oh, look at that you do?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 5: Are those pears yeah, yeah, cool.
Speaker 6: This is my my Pears chandelier.
Speaker 5: That did you make that whole chandelier?
Speaker 6: I did I make crazy chandeliers?
Speaker 5: Wow? Do you have a business doing this?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: I just do it for fun. I mean I am going to be selling some stuff on my friend's website. Yeah WTF dot com?
Speaker 5: Okay, when where can Well? I want to send everyone to this also me. I want I want to I want an early advanced link because I want to buy one of your crazy chandeliers.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I've just been This year has been nuts, I'm sure for buddy, but yeah, I'm not. I'm just now getting back into like I'm going to be taking some photos of some of my you know, artwork at an art show earlier on in the year. The chandeliers in there, there's a cactus one that I sold. I don't know if you can see it. There's a lot going on.
Speaker 5: I do see that cactus now that you've pointed it out. That's so cool.
Speaker 6: But I'm going to put a partridge in this Paris chandelier for Christmas time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so let's jump in. I want to talk about your Hollywood origin story. You were raised in Illinois, right with your twin brother David, and you both have the dream of acting in Hollywood. So how did that dream my older sister Heather of course, and your sister as well, how did it all come about? Who started it? Who raised their hand and said I want to go to Hollywood?
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, my mom probably.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, first and foremost an adult, yes.
Speaker 6: But well we started off in Chicago in oak Park, which is, you know, home of Einstein. And then my dad, my dad was a stockbroker, and the stock market crashed, uh, and so we had to skip town, and so we went to the Seattle. My dad went to Settle and it was still a stockbroker there. And my mom was always like, really into She always wanted to be an actress. And she was really good too, I mean, she was beautiful, but she never, like her parents always wanted her to be a teacher.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she went to the school to be a teacher, and she was a speech therapist. But she brought the arts into her teaching, like by doing puppet shows and she made her own puppets, which I think I is where I got my craftiness from. Now all of her puppets are my Christmas ornaments that is so cool.
Speaker 1: So that's cool.
Speaker 6: All scary because you know some of them, you know they're from a long time ago and it's just the heads. But it's just heads, like in the.
Speaker 5: Tree Christmas horror film old Christmas decor is. I don't know why it was all so creepy looking. We had a lot, We have a lot of my mother in law's old christ Missus dolls and my husband's like, oh, these are so beautiful and I'm like, no, they're not. You just have nostalgia for them, but they are terrifying.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Their paper mache, which is really cool. I would love to learn how to paper mache.
Speaker 5: Okay, no, I no, I know how to do absolutely no.
Speaker 2: Back in the day, I mean I was like, I remember making yet to make a paper mache like volcano that would work for school and stuff.
Speaker 5: So yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure there's a YouTube video that could show you how to paper mache. Yeah yeah, especially since you're so crafty, I think you pick it up real fast.
Speaker 6: I would totally be interested in that YouTube video anyways. Okay, so we moved to Seattle and we we stayed there for two years. My mom became an assistant or like chanced toed the phone at an agency, the Lala Holloway Agency.
Speaker 5: I remember that name.
Speaker 6: Met my Uh, this guy Michael who was really who was a commercial agent. He was he was an agent there and then he he would always come down to California for pilot season, like when there was a pilot season, and uh, he was like, oh you should. And we were always us kids. We were always in acting class. But I was kind of a shy child and sort of you know, I guess maybe in my own world a little bit. I like to I like to make believe and climb trees with my hamster and and that I was in like a different land in my treehouse and the come up with and I actually made like a fort underneath the house, which I'm like, I can't believe I did that. Yeah, because there's no way I would go underneath my house now. I used to in Seattle. Anyways, my mom always thought that I was really shy and but uh and so she but my brother and my sister were really the outgoing and they loved that they were like they booked commercials and like they were really cute kids. And I like had a perm and braces and was sort of awkward, you know, kind of finding myself as we do. Yeah, and so I mean I never booked a commercial or anything. And so it was really my brother and my sister that that. Uh Michael was like, oh, well, you know, they should come down for pilot season to to you know, check it out, see see what happens, and you can stay with me in his studio apartment with his cat Twinkle Posts, oh my god, who was actually nicknamed Tinkletoes because coupeed on everything.
Speaker 5: Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And anyways, so my mom did that and she brought my She brought my brother and my sister because they were, you know, booking commercials and everything. And uh, for the she pretty much abandoned me, you and your.
Speaker 5: Dad in Seattle, Seattle.
Speaker 6: But it was fine, No, she didn't. I'm just joking. And uh, my my sister ended up well. First it was my brother that booked a play during pilot season, which was half good with Judy Davis. And and then my sister booked Who's the Boss. But she was the first Danny Pintaro's first kiss.
Speaker 1: A cool.
Speaker 6: But they kept booking things. It kept them, it kept us, you know, them down in California. Longer, and then finally my mom, you know, was came back and got me.
Speaker 5: She's like, I want to go pick up Nicole.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And things weren't all that great, you know, between my mom and my dad, they were you know, going through some yeah, hard times. Okay, so uh it just it the more that we started. Then I was put into acting class where and my sister and my brother were put into acting class as well, where I met.
Speaker 7: Writer a Space Shiloh and like pretty much anybody who was working as a child back in the day with Diane Harden and Eckstein who were then became managers.
Speaker 6: And but I was put into acting class for like three years before I was even sent out for anything because they just you know, it was like they kind of thought that I was a shy. I mean when I was brought down to California, I uh, I I sort of you know, I would go out at night and like climb into the stairwell at the oak Woods and just like daydream like fifle.
Speaker 2: Woods that happened at the oak Woods.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And did you, I mean, did you want to act? Or so you did? Okay.
Speaker 6: We used to put on plays back in Seattle. We have this Muppet Book. Do you know if the book it's the Great Muppet Book. It was great, and it had like all of the Muppets scenes like in it where Kermit says this, and you know miss Piggy says that, and then in Gonzo, and I was I was always the initiator of like, oh, let's do let's do one of the plays from uh, the Muppet Book.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 6: I was always interested in it. But I don't think that my I mean the people they didn't really see it in you.
Speaker 5: Weren't the most obvious choice.
Speaker 6: Right, because I was kind of shy, shy.
Speaker 5: In your own in your own world.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so Gary Spats, I wasn't. Were you having Gary Spats's class writer?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 6: No, well he uh he was in contact with Judy Savage, who was our first agent. Was she your first agent? Not my?
Speaker 5: She was writer's first agent. She was not my first agent. I was with Kelman Arletta first, but then when I was when I was on Boy Meets World, then I signed with.
Speaker 6: Yeah, she had everybody.
Speaker 5: She's the greatest.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I love.
Speaker 5: So when you did start acting, did you find yourself competitive with your siblings at all? Or No?
Speaker 6: I never was I don't. I don't think so, because my sister was always We're so different. I mean me and my sister com completely different. My sister, uh, I mean she's I guess maybe I'm like a big kid at heart.
Speaker 5: I really as will that's me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I am, you know, I embraced that. I love I have to like very young energy. My sister has always been like the older sister, you know, the matriar arch of the family. He's just always been more serious. And she was the firstborn, right, Yes, yeah, that's that kind of you.
Speaker 2: You have that kind of archetype where it's the firstborn always tends to take on the responsible role and there they are adults from the time that they're you know, even kids, they embrace being an adult at an early age.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's pretty normal. My brother's like.
Speaker 6: That too, Yeah, your older brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my oldest brother. He instantly took that kind of adult role right away.
Speaker 5: So how shortly after you end up making your way out to LA and you're staying at the oak Woods, how shortly after do you start guest starring on shows like Fresh Prince in Beverly Hills nine O two one.
Speaker 6: Oh well, okay. So I was put into acting class for three years and then finally somebody believed in me and they're like, you know what, she's ready, she's ready out. And thank god that they did wait for me, because I probably wasn't ready to start auditioning, you know. And then when I did, I my my first audition was for I'll Fly Away, which was a TV show and I went to network on it. I was like, God, this is but I didn't get it. And and then my second audition was for Beethoven. Second audition, Yeah, and I auditioned. I auditioned a few times for that, and god, it was I started everything because uh then I then after that I auditioned for but then you know, the Fresh Prince came along. And it's so random, though, because there's so many weird connections in my life. My sister's first job, Who's the Boss. The people from Who's the Boss, Rob Sterning and Prudence Frasier, they were the showrunners or I think they were the showrunners of Who's the Boss. But then they moved onto The Nanny and they were creators with Fran and Peter for The Nanny. So it's like there's that Weird Connection and then the Fresh Prince. When I got or when I got Beethoven. The wardrobe stylist was Terry and I can't remember her last name right now. Uh, but she was the wardrobe stylist on The Nanny, the first one. She worked with Brenda Cooper and then Fresh Prince of bel Air. The director of the episode that I was in, Uh, Lee Challotte.
Speaker 2: Oh, Lee Challett, Cemo, Lee Challettchmo's great. Yeah, she's wonderful.
Speaker 6: Yeah. She directed the first full season of The Nanny.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, so everything ended up leading toward The Nanny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Lee's amazing.
Speaker 2: She's you know, she's also at the time, especially back in the day, was one of the few female sitcom directors. And I had the honor of working with her once and she was just she found jokes where they're just weren't any and knew exactly how to block everything.
Speaker 1: She was really phenomenal at her job.
Speaker 6: She was. I absolutely loved Darnee. I can't believe that they that they hired me. I auditioned nine times for The Nanny.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh. Wait, before we get into The Nanny, I still want to talk about Beethoven. I want everyone to know. It's a Saint Bernard fronted blockbuster family movie. It made almost a hundred and fifty million dollars dog dollars. Wow, Now you're acting with Charles Groden, Bonnie Hunt, Stanley Tucci, and yes, an adorably big dog. People always say to never work with kids and animals. Now you were a kid at the time. So what was it like filming with a dog.
Speaker 6: But it was like a dream come true. Yeah, I mean it just was a dream come true because I just love animals so much. I've always loved animals, like you know, from my Hamsters to my poodles. Just I, where is mister Potts, mister Patts?
Speaker 4: Who's that Potts?
Speaker 6: Mister Potts is my poodle hole.
Speaker 5: He's so cute, mister Pratt.
Speaker 6: It's so cute. He's a little star.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you can tell. Yeah, not as big as Beethoven. But did when So while you were doing Beethoven, did you ever expect it to be as big of a movie as it was?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: No, I did, no good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like I I was just having fun like I used to. I became really good friends with Jason Wrightman.
Speaker 1: Okay, sure, steal the.
Speaker 6: Golf carts and go like writing around on the golf carts on the lot, which was like, I mean, it's just it's like every kid's stream to be able to was snuck into Universal Studios and.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember when you could figure out how that area was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, and now and and just to be able to. I mean I always wanted to, you know, take over an amusement park as a kid.
Speaker 1: I've done it, you have, I did.
Speaker 2: I did my I was on Nickelodeon at the time, and they were opening Universal Studios in Florida, and so the show I was on, the four hosts and I they sent us down there six weeks before the park opened, and every day our job was just to go to the empty park and ride all the rides and film. They filmed this while doing it. So my three friends and I had an amusement park to ourselves for like almost six weeks.
Speaker 6: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Oh you could just ride all the rides over and over to the point where we were sick of them, where it was like I can't believe I have to go on et ninety three times again. Today. It was it was really it was truly amazing, but about Beethoven. I have a question because Charles Groden is like one of my favorite actors of all time and in my opinion, should be on the list of the most underrated actors of all time.
Speaker 1: What was it like working with him?
Speaker 6: It was? It was amazing, Like I mean, I had no idea that he he actually I think he said in some interview that he should the two things that you should never do or work with animals or kids. But when I worked with them, and it was like just a it was he was so kind, oh cool, like it was a only an experience, the whole the whole thing, like working with the animals. And I remember one time. I don't know how he felt about about this one moment that we had, but they used to you know, they built the entire home of Beethoven's house on the sound stage, and so it was kind of like lifted up off of the off of the ground, so there was like a ledge around the house, and then the house was built on top of it. So there's like this, uh, the edge of the ledge where the director like caught called a meeting for everybody to you know, sit in. I think it was like a safety meeting. Might have been the safety meeting. It was like right when we first started working, and Charles Gruden was sitting on the edge with his like feet dangling off of it, and I was standing behind him kind of just like you know, playing with his hair and stuff, and and the director was talking to us and explaining what was going to be going on for the day. And I looked down at at his hair and I noticed like this, uh, this netting, and so I immediately stopped playing with it. But he probably was so like, what is she doing?
Speaker 5: Get your hands out of my head?
Speaker 4: Why you don't work with kids or aim.
Speaker 6: Kids. You never said anything about it. He never had been like flenched.
Speaker 5: Right, you know.
Speaker 3: It was like, yea, it must have been like a pretty tedious set for the adults. I mean, because how many dolls dogs did you guys actually have?
Speaker 6: Do you remember the first one? There was like two hundred and fifty different dogs, and then the Yeah, well the puppy Beethoven kept on growing growing up by the day. Yeah, so, and so that in the second the second movie, there were so many dogs because they puppies grow fast.
Speaker 4: What an insane set?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, you had no idea.
Speaker 3: It was probably an insane set, but you were just totally in it and having the best time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And well you couldn't, you couldn't, you know, just go up and pet Beethoven. He had his own dressy groom, his own like air conditioner. Yeah, and the same trainer who trained the animals for Babe.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Pack in the City. We love that movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a big one for us here.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh man, yeah, I can't. That's a lot of dogs to have around you. And you're right, they do grow all the time.
Speaker 2: But that's got to just be crazy to not actually, because all you'd want to do if I'm around two hundred fifty puppies, I want to land the ground and I want to have them cover me with kisses.
Speaker 1: So the idea that you can't do that would would suck a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And they always smelled like baby food too. Whenever they would get you know, whatever Beethoven had to kiss us or or anything, they would put it chicken baby food, but behind our ear and then they you know, they would then I think you're.
Speaker 5: The one who smells like Beethoven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hole first.
Speaker 6: So yes, yeah, maybe it was.
Speaker 2: And it's still it's one of the greatest sequel titles ever. Beethoven Second is truly one of the best, the best titles for any sequel that has ever happened.
Speaker 1: It's phenomenal.
Speaker 8: I'm Kristin Davis, host of the podcast Are You a Charlotte? The most anticipated guest from season three is here the Tray to My Charlotte. Kyle McGlaughlin joins me to relive all of the magical Tray in Charlotte moments. He reveals what he thinks of Trey giving Charlotte a cardboard baby.
Speaker 9: Why would I bring her a cardboard baby? I was literally I was like, this doesn't track for me at all.
Speaker 8: When he found out Trey's shortcomings, I'm.
Speaker 9: Kind of excited to talk about.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: I think he's he's a guy spends time in Central Park. You know, he's probably, don't know, be some surgery stuff, you know. And I was like, all this kind of stuff going on, and they were like yeah, yeah, yeah, fine, and they said, but he's impotent, and I was.
Speaker 8: Like, he's impotent and why he chose not to return to it?
Speaker 6: Just like that.
Speaker 9: They came and presented an idea and I was like, I get I see it.
Speaker 1: It's so kind of a one joke idea.
Speaker 8: You don't want to miss this. Listen to Are you a Charlotte on the iheartrate you app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: So at this point, now you're in like the biggest family movie of the year. What was the reaction like back at home where you had to escape Illinois after a stark market crash.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, I'm such an overshare. That's why I don't do many podcasts. It was it was, uh, you know, because I was. I didn't really change. I've always been. I've always just wanted friends like so much. I went to the same junior high and in high school, I went to South Past Junior High. Okay, and uh, oh gosh, you know who else went to that that same high school? H Well Edward for Long Oh, Okay, Edward for Along went there. And Julia White, yes there, Hilary Swank actually lived with my family first came down, and Sadie Kretsik. I mean it was really it was jam packed in the students. Like after we started working, we moved into a one, like a two bedroom apartment in South Pasadena.
Speaker 2: Wait, I'm sorry, how many how how many of you were in the studio apartment with this one guy?
Speaker 6: It was me. I slept on a chair for six months.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, as a child. How old were you?
Speaker 6: My brother, my sister Sadie came down with us, and Michael and the cat, you know, uh my poodle at the time, Brandy.
Speaker 2: So there's there's like six people and two animals in your mind. Okay, so seven people and two animals in a studio apartment.
Speaker 6: Yes, wow, it was crazy. And then you know, Michael was an agent, so he was submitting people for auditions and so and back in the day you had to mail everything, so there were a million headshots like just everywhere. You know, you have to put them in the envelopes and label them all. We were kind of like, you know, we were. It was a what is it a line of assembly, geez, line of mailing out the breakdowns.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So then you're fifteen when you audition for Maggie Sheffield. Do you remember the audition for the Nanny?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do.
Speaker 6: I remember all of the audition and well most of them. The first time I met Fran I thought that she was the casting director. You know, I didn't know anything. I'd never seen any of her movies, and I remember going out and talking to my mom and Beetle like that casting director first boys, Oh my god, Oh my gosh, I've ever heard that, but it's really hard to you know, listen to it was like, oh my gosh. Yeah, and then I found out that that was that was fran that was the you know, I had no idea and that's so funny. Yeah, I uh, one time they when I went in for the audition, I used to wear a lot of vests and.
Speaker 5: That was a big that was a big thing back in the nineties.
Speaker 6: Yeah, vests and like oversized shirts and maybe a bucket hat here and there.
Speaker 4: Oh hat hat, like a blossom hat.
Speaker 1: Oh that's a bucket hat.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, this was.
Speaker 6: This is a play that I did with writer.
Speaker 2: Yes, you got it.
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, and this is one of my.
Speaker 1: Blossom there. I see that.
Speaker 6: Blossom hat on there. Shiloh has the band, of course, I mean writers, the most normals.
Speaker 1: Not saying something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Charlot took off his bowler hat for that.
Speaker 1: Photo shoot and it took off his fishing vest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's probably still wearing the overalls though.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, that was. I don't know when I think that, how old were we?
Speaker 3: It was ninety five, so I would have been fifteen. I think you're the same age of Shiloh, right, so you were probably yeah, so yeah, seventeen, you were probably sixteen or seventeen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So what was the set of The Nanny like? Was it family friendly? Was it tense? What was it like?
Speaker 6: Gosh, it was I it was Oh, it was my childhood.
Speaker 1: You know, we were we were the.
Speaker 6: Definitely, you know, we were the kids show and then there was the adults and you know, the bosses, and you know, we were in school and it was always very right. Oh god, I loved going to the wardrobe room and fitted for like all of the clothes were so just amazing, like every single week. I just I remember that. I remember sitting in the like when the audience was there, I would go and sit in the the living room. They have this huge fluffy couch that was all feathered down and it was it was beautiful. After the pilot of The Nanny, the set had a major redo when we when we got picked up, and uh, this couch was so comfortable. I would love to sit on it. But the I don't think the stage you know, the stage guy or the produce stage manager or the guy who was in charge of the sets and deck that deck. Yeah, I don't think he didn't like me sitting on the couch because those those feather down cushions are so heavy fluff and puff, and then he would have to fluff and puff it.
Speaker 5: Right, and you were like taking a nap on it every day. Yeah, yeah, but I.
Speaker 6: Would like to like kind of sneak into the living room set was right in front of the audience, but whenever they weren't in that scene, I would I would sit like on the stairs and just like watch the audience and just kind of like in the dark when the that wasn't lit up. I remember, oh gosh, the Craft's service was so good.
Speaker 2: And that people remember so much from all their shows and their kids. It's just like how good the Craft service tables were.
Speaker 6: They would have bagels and locks like every morning, and you know, that's where I learned that, you know, there's really everybody has their own way of making their own bagel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, very personal thing, very person the bagel make.
Speaker 6: Can't have somebody, you know make my bagel for me.
Speaker 5: I know, God, the stuff on it my important stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it's got to be the right order. It's got to be the right amount ratio. The ratio has to be right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, like.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way to keep your hands off. They've got to be done exactly the right way. Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah. When was the last time you watched The Nanny? Do you have a favorite episode?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Gosh, I I always loved the uh the gym episode uh where I was with where Rina Moreno was my gym.
Speaker 1: Teacher casting awesome, But.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I had a lot of fun with that. And then I had to in one of the scenes, I had to climb up this rope ladder, which I've never been good at, like ever. I I'm just like, I don't really have the arm strings. I've got really little wrists and and I can't like wrap my Uh.
Speaker 5: I was very skinny, kid, you warn't an athlete.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I I didn't have anything to like grasp the rope with, Like, I don't know how to like climb up the rope, but they wanted me to like just slide down the rope too.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well I had.
Speaker 1: Pants on oh good, okay, yeah that can burn.
Speaker 6: But in order to get the shot, they had to horace me up onto the rope. So I was like just out of frame. Yeah, my with my legs like you know, sideway was supposed like when they yelled at you and supposed to just slide down the rope. Well, I couldn't get up there out of frame. So actually Peter Mark Jacobs, Fran's husband.
Speaker 2: Came.
Speaker 6: Hoisted me up.
Speaker 8: What is the.
Speaker 6: And like I so he was like holding me up there on the let on the rope.
Speaker 5: I did Fran's husband need to do this? Why was there not someone who was a part of production that.
Speaker 6: Could have helped you with this idea? It was like this should have been like that's what.
Speaker 5: Rehearsals for.
Speaker 1: Something. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 6: And I was like, oh my gosh, this is so ridiculous, like them up there on the on the rope and he's like holding me up there with his hands and I'm trying my best to hold on for as long as it can, and then he like runs out of frame real quick to get the shot. Wow. It's just I couldn't stop laughing at one point, but then I, you know, I got it, Like they did the shot made it into the episode.
Speaker 1: That's how long did the Nanny go for? It went for six years, six seasons?
Speaker 6: Wow, long time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this was it was NBC, right, it was CBS, CBS, CBS, okay, right, right, okay, Yeah, they had a solid lineup back in the day.
Speaker 6: Yeah. You know, truthfully, the a lot of the actors or you know, the people on the show frightened me as a child, really really scare me. But totally because like just because the personalities were so I just like I looked up to them so much. I had my like, I just I respected them so much. So that's why they were I don't know if that makes any sense, that's why intimidating. Yeah, yeah, I think I was truly intimidated, and so I was like scared a little bit. Like but another weird connection is that yet Grandma Yetta is the mother of Nora Eckstein, who was my acting teacher at Young Actors Space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it all does come from it's actually it seems like it's a huge business, but it's it's a lot smaller than you think. Actually, the same kind of people seem to filter in and out and know each other and Yeah, it's really interesting.
Speaker 5: Well, you also did Beethoven the second, which we talked about we had. You had a four episode arc on Beverly Hills nine O two one oh around the same time, right in the peak of that phenomenon as well. What was your experience on that set?
Speaker 6: Like, oh gosh, I was so excited to get that that part. I had to did my makeup for the audition because the first time I went in, I was like sweet because sus Scanlon was good Girl by night eat bad Girl by day. Some outfits on that show though, too or just like whoa, I'm like, oh, may A goad. But yes, working on that set was I was warned, you know, before I went onto onto the set because there was there was a lot of drama.
Speaker 1: And dramas a famous.
Speaker 6: Set for that. Yeah, and uh so I was. I was warned about like arguments, you know, when things. My brother had actually done. He got a show that didn't get picked up called Brand New Life, and Jenny Garth was in that that so I was really looking forward to seeing her again. I don't know if she I think she remembered me, yeah, but from the Brand New Life. But anyway, everybody was really super sweet to me.
Speaker 5: That's good on the set.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, I am yeah. I ended up working with Brian Austin Green and a few movies of the week after that. Hm.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Wilfred Dell and Sabrina Bryan from the podcast Magical Rewind, and we have a very special guest on this week's episode. He's the mastermind behind some of your favorite movies like Hocus Pocus, Newsy's The Descendants, and of course High School Musical.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is the one and only a living legend director Kenny or Tega.
Speaker 10: We sit down with Kenny to talk about his incredible career and the legacy he's created with his choreography and films.
Speaker 1: You seriously will not want to miss this one.
Speaker 10: Listen to Magical Rewind on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your pot.
Speaker 6: Hi.
Speaker 5: It's Jenny Garth, host of the I Choose Me podcast.
Speaker 8: This week, I'm so excited to welcome my friend Gabrielle carteris the Andrea Zuckerman from Beverly Hills nine o two on Oho to the pod.
Speaker 4: We're Choosing to Get Real.
Speaker 5: I applied to the networks about my age and contracts.
Speaker 6: They never would have hired me if they had known my age.
Speaker 4: We're choosing to be honest.
Speaker 5: She looked at me, and she said, this business is about the mask, which.
Speaker 6: You have neither of.
Speaker 4: No, we're choosing to get nostalgic.
Speaker 6: Listen to I Choose Me on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Over the years, you've been able to work on projects with your brother and your sister, Heather. Is that do you when you guys work together, does it feel like a dream come true?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I mean, well, I love working with my with my family, it is. It is fun to get that opportunity. My sister and I played twins one.
Speaker 1: Time, which is ironic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but with her brother, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: We were on Wedding Bells together, which was a davidy Kelly show, and we randomly played twins. I think that my sister and I. I think that my sister and my brother look more like twins than my brother and I, which is so random. But and then I worked with my brother on Criminal Minds.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, okay. My last question for you, and it might be a difficult question because it probably feels like you have been acting for what feels like many lifetimes. But if you weren't able to convince your mom to let you become an actor, what job do you think you would have had?
Speaker 6: Oh gosh, I've thought about this. I don't know, like I've I feel like, I mean, as a as a young kid, I always wanted to be a veterinarian. What kid doesn't I know? Yeah, But then as I, uh I grew up, I don't think I could take that that pain of animal that all the time. But I've always wanted to. I've always loved putting stuff on, sticking stuff on stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 5: The pair.
Speaker 6: I've been sticking stuff to stuff on my entire life. I love that I have full Like you see those things right there, Yeah, yeah, yeah, right there, that is my that's.
Speaker 5: Just little stuff.
Speaker 6: Uh no, that's the larger stuff to stick on stuff, coordinated, and then I've got the smaller and the medium stuff to stick on stuff. But I I feel like I would have my own store of sorts, like like I would be uh a business, you know.
Speaker 1: Like a hobby shop or something like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like my own little t shop or oh yeah, I can see that thing with the that that that sells like vintage like weird things and I make lamps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like I I know that it.
Speaker 6: Would be something really creative.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love this. I still think I still I think you need to open whatever this is, whatever this I think you.
Speaker 4: Need to It would look exactly like your room you're in right now.
Speaker 1: That would be stuff, chandeliers, shop.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is my garage. I love it. I was thinking about like a podcast. Oh well.
Speaker 2: With me.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't want to silly away from this good thing, but.
Speaker 5: You dare try to take him from us?
Speaker 6: All right, Daniel, she's stolen. It would be like Crime and Crafting.
Speaker 2: Oh, a great idea, idacting so they found Yeah they found the body partially decomposed with a beautiful riding stone buckle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, as well as you're making something, you know, like it's needle pointing to me, like sequence on stuff. I would imagine would be like like needle pointing.
Speaker 1: Crime and Crafting is actually a brilliant idea for some.
Speaker 5: Crime and Crafting is a podcast is.
Speaker 6: Great so that he doesn't steal it from from you know, watching that could be the first cover. Yeah, I would my gosh, it wouldn't it just wouldn't be the same without me. No, you're right, I'll do it, you know, like where we talk about crime shows while.
Speaker 5: Working on a project that we have to complete by the time the episode's over.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: Sure, I love this idea. It's a really good idea. I think we feel we've just helped you workshop this podcast. Nicole, Thank you so much for being here with us. Where can people find you? Where can people find this WTF? You selling your stuff? Where can people go to help support you and your projects?
Speaker 6: Well? I did just get now. I haven't posted anything because it's been so busy this this last year because it's just been crazy, but I did just get the uh stuff to stick on stuff for Instagram.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 6: But the WTF is what I'm doing with my friend Alana, where it's just like it's actually it's where to Find the Weird just one of the kind things. So I'm gonna start really helping her out with with that site.
Speaker 5: And that's the WTF dot com, Yes, the U t F.
Speaker 6: And then I'm on Instagram, which I haven't posted a lot because it's just been it's been a really hard year, but I want to get back into it. And my Instagram is just under my name, Nicole Tom Yeah, and I c h O L L E t O M. I spelled my name of misspelling it my entire life.
Speaker 5: Is that not the way your mom intended it?
Speaker 6: She never corrected me, so maybe the wrong way has actually been the right way.
Speaker 5: You never know.
Speaker 1: I'd also like to pitch you call it a true crime podcraft.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, I love it.
Speaker 1: So there you go.
Speaker 5: Just look at for giving you these ideas for free, so generous.
Speaker 6: Maybe you can help me out of that because I just like I have nowhere to.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll talk. Chandelier, I get a good chandelier. We'll figure it out. I have I okay, good, we'll talk what you like. I don't know yet. I gotta see what fits with my esthetic.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's got to go shop. Thank you, Nicole, Thank you for being here with us. It was great to talk with you.
Speaker 4: Good to see Nicole.
Speaker 1: You bye bye.
Speaker 5: I still want to have my tarot cards read in that room.
Speaker 4: She definitely should.
Speaker 3: She could just open up her garage and yeah, it would probably become the store that she was talking about.
Speaker 5: She should do.
Speaker 3: She just opened the garage door, put out a sign and people would start coming and she's got and she's.
Speaker 1: Got to get together and do a podcast act.
Speaker 4: That would be a first season to Panga Nicole Tom hanging out and do a terrot reading.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 5: Thank you all for listening to this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: And we've got merch, rub some baby food, O my neck.
Speaker 5: Show me that you love me Merchpodmeetsworldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 4: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 3: Podmeets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Udbach, producer, Maddi.
Speaker 4: Moore, engineer and boy Meets World superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon.
Speaker 3: Follow us on Instagram at Podmeats World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com