Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spofford. He is my trusted colleague Wes Hodkowitz. We're coming to you from different locations here at lambeau Field and Wes, let's just dive right into it. As members of the media, we are getting access to the Packers assistant coaches on various days throughout this week, with OTAs beginning next week. And I want to start right away with the story that you wrote after the media availability on Tuesday of the Packers coordinators and specifically with regard to Joe Berry and the Packers defense, because we talked on a previous show when Kenny Clark had spoken to the media on the same day that Aaron Jones and Jordan Love did. We talked about how Kenny Clark was not shying away from the expectations that there will be for this Packers defense with adding another first round pick to now there will be eight first round picks first round draft picks for the Packers on that side of the ball, and the fact that the defense did not live up to for the first half three quarters of the season last year, did not live up to the expectations that everyone had. Those expectations are back in place. Kenny Clark was not backing down from them. Joe Barry was not backing down from them either.
Speaker 2: No. I think that's the idea here for the Packers defense is that they understand what the expectations are going to be this season and in how high that they're going to have to rise to. The one thing that was interesting, we had this little bit of an I don't want to call it an awkward exchange, but you know, Mark Daniels wanted to play some some word play stuff, and I don't think Joe was quite on the same wavelength with them at the press conference, but it ended up eliciting a pretty good quote though from Joe Barry and talking about, you know, it doesn't matter if they have eight first round picks or the entire defense is seventh rounders. The expectations are always going to be high in Green Bay and they understand that. So last year wasn't what the Packers wanted defensively. It took too long to get to where they wanted to be, and actually I think a lot of it ended up being out of necessity. The adjustments that they made. They lose Eric Stokes, they lose Rashan Gary. You have to start trailing and traveling jyr Alexander around the secondary. You have to push Rasseul Douglas outside. And I think some of the concepts that they worked inside worked for them better down the stretch. That one stat I dug up Mike where the Packers were at giving up one hundred and fifty four rushing yards per game in the first twelve contests and then only one hundred the last month of the season in December, when you typically see more rushing offense become prevalent in the league. I think that told you where they went. And also getting back DeAndre Campbell down the stretch I think helped as well. So coming out this year, it's all about getting off to a faster start. It's all about setting a quicker tempo, and the Packers need to be able to do that because now you don't have Aaron Rodgers, you don't have that experience on the offensive side of the ball. You're going to have a unit that you expect to be better at the end of the season. But right out of the gate, the one known commodity for this football team is its defense and it needs to play to that level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought Joe Berry very much reiterated a discussion that we had had. Maybe it was a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember for sure if it was pre draft or post draft, but a discussion we had had with regard to the defense, where the fans are always asking, well, is this going to be a top five or a top ten defense? And that's not how That's not really what's important. What's important when you look back at last year is how much the defense went through this roller coaster, this peaks and valleys of some really good play and then things would really fall off and then they would rise back up again. And Joe Berry talked about finding a level of consistency. There's no such thing as, as you know, saying, Okay, every single game, the Packers are going to give up seventeen points and that's it. Like, that's not how it works. That's not what's meant by consistency. But it's about smoothing out those peaks and valleys in the play, finding a level of play that that can be relied upon, that that can can be more consistent. Because the other two phases of this team, the offense and the special teams are gonna need something to rely on from the defense. And I thought that was really the crux of Joe Berry's message, that you know, they went back looking at everything in terms of how the defense played last year and they are done now looking in the rearview mirror. It's about looking for but when they did study it earlier in the offseason, it was about, yeah, there were some stretches of really really good defensive play, but then it wasn't sustainable. And then when things fell off, they fell off considerably, and and those those peaks and valleys need to be smoothed out. And that's what Joe Berry, all of his assistants, the leaders on the defense, the Kenny Clarks and the Preston Smiths and the Rashaun Garys when he's back jyr Alexander, that's what those guys have to figure out, is to smooth things out with this group so that everybody knows what they can count on well.
Speaker 2: And I think a good example that too, Mike, was that game in Philadelphia, because we all knew that challenge it was going to be trying to stop Jalen Hurts in that offense, and then he comes right out of the gate and has like one hundred and thirty one rushing yards in the first quarter. They give a five hundred for the game, forty points a season high in that matchup, and yet they still almost found a way to claw themselves back into it late with Jordan Love at quarterback. So probably the best example of defense I think in my mind is what Aaron Glenn did with Detroit last season. Detroit statistically was not a good unit, but if you watch them against the Packers both at Ford Field and then in that finale at lambeau Field, you wouldn't have known that they put together an effort to stop Aaron Rodgers in this offense. That's where the Packers' defense needs to get to. The teams that you want to dominate, put together a strong performance, give you guys a chance. But when you play a team that maybe you're not supposed to show up well against, maybe a team like in Kansas City and December, how do you respond I felt down the stretch, the Packers responded a lot better to that, looking at that performance they had on Rismas Day against Miami. Obviously, the job they did against Minnesota a week later. That's going to be the key for them, As you mentioned, getting things even and also understanding situationally. The Packers have to do a better job this year the red zone. They actually were pretty good on third downs last year, but four downs they were like thirty twenty third in the league. I think it was being able to win situationally. Stopping the run is going to be key, especially early on when you have to replace Dean Lowry and also Jaron Reid. It's so many different things, Mike, It's all these different organisms coming into the same sort of body of a season that they have to get going in the right direction because consistently, that's probably what was the biggest piece that was missing for them in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I thought it was interesting in regards to that consistency message because that is essentially the same message that's being delivered in terms of what the Packers are looking for in what appears to be a wide open competition at safety for the starting job. Alongside Darnell Savage, the Packers they've signed two free agents to various more Jonathan Owens. You have Rudy Ford coming back, you have a seventh round draft pick in Anthony Johnson Junior. You have a lot of guys that are gonna be in the mix for that starting spot at safety, and it seems like what they're looking for is a consistent, you know, even even keel steady performer. Not coincidentally, they're looking to replace Adrian Amos, and that's exactly what he was right like, they they don't want to take a step back there, and obviously we know part of the reason that Adrian Amos isn't back is the Packers have some salary cap considerations and Adrian Amos's price is going to be higher than some of these other free agents that they've signed, so they're they're up against it there. But they're looking to replace Adrian Amos with a very very similar player, a player that can be relied upon, who can make the calls, who's going to get people in the right position. And it's going to take all of OTA's, all of training camp, all the preseason to sort this out because when the question was asked, I believe it was asked of Greg Williams, the new defensive passing game coordinator, when do you need to know who the other starting safety is? And he was like, well, when do we go to Chicago for Week one? I mean that's they just have to get it figured out by then. But they will use all the time necessary to get it figured out because that is really the one true starting spot that is open as this offseason continues.
Speaker 2: Well, and you have to find those answers too, because I don't want to, you know, put it through anybody's name under the bus. But I think back to twenty twelve when they transitioned away from you know, Charles Woodson. They had John McMillan, m D. Jennings, and I give my credit to both of those guys for the job they did. But it just you can tell when you don't have that position filled on the back end, kind of the domino effect it can have on things. The next year, obviously, Mike Hyde transitioned back. They drafted Haja Clinton Dixon the first round. The difference here with what the Packers are doing is it's a very veteran Leyden Garup. I mean, Rudy Ford has started games in this league. Jonathan Owens played nine hundred and sixty snaps last year, started all seventeen games, one hundred and twenty five tackles for the Houston Texans last season. They have guys that they can, you know, potentially look towards ta various more.
Speaker 1: Various more started I believe it was started eight games in the COVID season in yes, twenty twenty for the forty nine ers, and then in twenty twenty one he ends up blowing out his his achilles in the offseason or during training camp, I can't remember which, but ends up missing all of twenty twenty one when he was coming off of a season when he had started half the game. So this is this is a young player who still maybe hasn't quite necessarily reached his peak in the NFL either in athletically.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of potential there. This is a former third round pick for the San Francisco forty nine ers. So and then you also got guys like in this games coming back too. There are so many different players that could potentially compete for that. But before we close out the point, Mike, I just want to say, ultimately, the guy that the Packers are going to be looking towards the most though, is Darnell Savage. He's the guy that is the fifth year veteran. Now he's the former first round pick Darnell Savage is going to be put in a place to really thrive this season. He's going to be the man on the back end. He's going to be one of the big communicators for them. I know last year there were some peaks and valleys to that. He was in the lineup, he was out of the lineup, he was in the slot, he was on the back end. This offseason, it's going to be the Darnell Savage show there. And whoever it is that ends up lining up next to him, creating that team work together, creating that that camaraderie is going to be critical. I'm very interested to see what training camp looks like and obviously seeing how they take the approach to with the preseason. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Well, I want to get to some of the other coaches we heard from as well. But first, a little bit of sponsor business. Serious XM NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need twenty four to seven, three sixty five, and that Cousins we have something for everyone, like our Wisconsin cheese curds, mac and cheese, golden fries, and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or sub in a bowl Cousin subs fifty years of better.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, we also on Tuesday, when the coordinator spoke, we also heard from Adam Stenovich and Rich Basacia. A couple of things with Stenovich that really stood out to me. One he talked about how there is going to be competition on the offensive line through this offseason, through training camp. He mentioned, you know, right tackle and right guard and possibly center, competition developing there at those spots. So where the Packers ended last season with Josh Myers at center, John Runyon at right guard, Yosh Niemen at right tackle, that's not necessarily how things are going to look in Week one because there's a young fourth round draft pick from a year ago named Zach Tom out of Wake Forest. Who is who's going to challenge for starting spot on this offensive line. We're just not sure yet exactly maybe which spot he's going to make the strongest push.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tom is the number one guy I have my eye on this season because for that very reason, Mike, I mean, it is not easy to come in and play right away as a rookie in the National Football League on the offensive line. You and I have seen it time and time again. Tom not only did that, he did it at a moment's notice. He did it at various different positions that game against Washington. That reminds me. I said this to you when we were in the press box at FedEx State at FedEx Field. It reminded me of what J. C. Tredder did. Thinking back into twenty sixteen when they needed him to play left tackle. He hadn't been a left tackle since college, but yet he rose up to that and he played to that level. Zach. Tom proved a lot of things to me, and I think more than anything, what he showed was given a full offseason. We haven't seen Zach. We don't know what he looks like, we don't know how all the stuff went for him. But given a full offseason to continue to grow, I just expect him to compete for a starting spots and honestly, when Week one comes around, I would not be surprised at all to see him in the lineup because I think he can compete at right guard. I think he can compete at right tackle. You know, Yash Naimen's back on the tender, but still I think that's going to be a healthy competition, and as Stenovich said, it could even be at center, you know, with Josh Myers. I mean, they want to put together the best five possible. And at this time the only thing that is for certain is that you're going to have a five time All Pro left tackle and David Baktiari and a two time Pro Bowl left guard in Elton Jenkins, and then kind of the rest is to be determined. But I love the fact I said this time and time again, draft one in the first round if you feel like there's a big ten year starter there. If there's not, you got twelve guys coming back, Mike, give those guys an opportunity to perform and see what they can do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, And the Packers have a lot of guys quite frankly at that played a lot of tackle in college. You know, Rashid Walker was a seventh round draft pick. Last year, you picked up Luke Tanuda, who was I forget exactly which team had draft to him, Buffalo, six round Buffalo, that's right, a sixth round pick there for the Bills. So those those guys, you know, maybe they're you know, going to try to push things at right tackle. But then you're also looking at You're looking at backup spots right on both sides as far as left tackle and right tackle. So there's gonna be a lot of competition across that offensive line. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say too, the size of these guys to Nuda Caleb Jones at six foot nine Jones Jones.
Speaker 1: Jones is the other one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember Mike and the off season program four years ago when when Yash got here for the first time and seeing them when we were in the locker room talking to some of the rookies and I'm like, holy cow, that kid is really big. And then now you see you know, Caleb, and especially him putting himself into shape he was out at the end of last season. The Packers feel like they obviously feel like they can coach pad level because they are getting some skyscrapers at those tackle positions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, that's it's it's going to be interesting to see when it comes to, you know, trying to follow the depth chart through now. I mean, we'll obviously watch the depth chart during OTAs, but it becomes a little bit more serious in training camp and when you're looking at those preseason games in terms of you know, at what stage are our guys getting reps? Are they in there with the first unit, the second unit, you know, all of all that kind of stuff. The other thing I thought that was interesting, and this is something that will be maybe a thread worth following through the course of this first season with Jordan Love as the starting quarterback. Is Is Stenovich made a really interesting comment with regard to two tight end sets, which is also called twelve personnel, the one two one being one running back, two tight ends, so that it's called twelve personnel. When you have two tight ends on the field, that sometimes that can force defenses to essentially play their base defense because the offense has five offensive linemen and two tight ends out there. So you can't get quite as creative with you know, extra defensive backs or different you know, straight pass rush packages, you know, things like that. You have to stick with the base defense and then you have to react. And when a defense has to stick with its with its base personnel, sometimes that can simplify the reads. That can that can because it can limit the options of what the defense might do in a given situation. That can that can break things down a little bit easier for a young quarterback. Now the Packers, they're going into this now with Josiah Deguara, Tyler Davis, and the two draft picks as the top four tight ends on the depth chart right now. Not a whole lot of experience there. I mean, Josiah Deguara has has probably played more tight end in regular season games than any of them, and he hasn't necessarily been a you know, seven hundred and fifty nine hundred and fifty snap kind of guy. So there's a lot to there's a lot to sword out there at tight end. But that comment about wanting, you know, to potentially get two tight ends on the field and then see how the defense reacts and put Jordan Love in that position, I found that very interesting and it will be, uh, it'll be worth following to see if the Packers can execute that the way they seem to want to for their young starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the number one thing too to follow with that is it kind of helps you remember even some of the stuff they did with Mercedes Lewis. And as much as I love Sades, it's not like he was just completely like shaking guys out of their boots, you know, on routes and cuts. I mean, it was some of the stuff that they were disguising with him. Teams would take him for granted and they would be able to get some touchdown opportunities off of it, some big play opportunities, just for the fact that you know, he sometimes would leak out if you try to sell too quickly on the run. That's the beauty of it, if you know Luke Musgrave and also Tucker Craft can can master that. Aspect of the blocking game is that now everything when you think about run action and things of that nature, it all is out there for them. Who's blocking, who's who's going out for pass routes, Where is Josiah Deguara in the alignments? If they do some three tight end work. There are so many different ways to build things. And when you talk about having a young receiving core, yeah, I mean the Packers hope that, you know, Jaden Reid is ready right off the bat. They hope that Samori two ray you know, makes a big jump. But it could be a situation too where they run more traditional two receiver looks. Maybe you're not seeing as much of the four, you know, receiver spreads with Robert Tunyan out there, that's the that's sort of the wild card in this. I just feel like when you are young, when you don't know maybe what you do best, yet your best card to play is going to be being able to mix things up. And I look at this depth chart both at receiver and tight end and even to a certain extent the running backs with what you know AJ Dillon and Aaron Jones can do as pass catchers. Is giving Matt Lafleur a full entree of what he could potentially attack a defense with this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and moving on with regard to to special teams, I just have I just have to touch on this because it made me smile when we heard when we heard from Rich Pasaci. And we've talked on previous shows about this whole connection obviously with Bisaccia and Daniel Carlson, who's the older brother of Andres Carlson, the kicker from Auburn the Packers drafted in the sixth round. The connection actually goes all the way back to the recruiting visit to the Carlson home when Daniel Carlson was looking to get a college scholarship and Rich Bisaccio he called it, he had a cup of coffee with Auburn. He wasn't working there very long, but he happened to be the guy to do the home visit to the Carlson household and that's when he actually first met Anders Carlson. And we're not even sure if Anders necessarily remembers that he might have just been playing to follow that, Yeah, might have just been playing video games that night of the of the visit. But the reason I bring it up is I thought it was I thought it was a pretty entertaining little story. But it also just illustrates sometimes how small a world this, this this world of highlight football, you know, Division one and into the NFL, How small a world it can be that here, however, many moons ago, that that Rich Bisacci was actually in Anders Carlson's house when Anders Carlson was you know, a teenager, you know, a young teenager. And now that's the kicker that the Packers drafted in the sixth round and is a guy they're going to look at to potentially replace the franchisees all time leading scorer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how hilarious is that too? I mean, you look at Auburn, they got a whole decade of Carlson's there, you know, with what Daniel did, and then I believe correct me if I'm wrong here. I think Anders was a red shirt during Daniel's senior season. There is all American seasons. So those guys, both six foot six, both over two hundred pounds. I mean, they are true athletes. And as Rich Bassaci talked about, you know, their dad a really good tennis player as well that had some length and athleticism to them. That that's the interesting aspect of this when you get those long levered specialists, there's a lot of natural power there. And I think the other thing to look up too, and we've talked about it numerous times now, but when Daniel Carlson comes out of the gate, things don't necessarily go well for him in Minnesota. Obviously had a very very forgettable game here at Lambellfield that ultimately led to him landing getting cut by the Vikings and landing with the Raiders. It was understanding the bumps that are going to come along with having a rookie, and Rich Bassacia is embracing that he understands it, and he's also said, I mean, it really is about helping walk those guys through that and helping them make the corrections too so many times. And I'm not saying this has necessarily been a big problem in Green Bay, but I know in the National Football League it can be like this. You know, special teams coordinators are so much about the coverages and the return teams and you're thinking of the big eleven that sometimes they can leave the specialists on an island of their own. The one thing I've learned about Basachi and also Byron Storer is how hands on they are. Last year with Jack Coco, Byron Storer was there with Coco from the very beginning in until the very end, and they're going to do the same thing now. Would be our hatcher here. Obviously, as we talked about before, Matt Orzick has been in the league now for a number of years. They are building this next specialist group together, and Andres Carlson and how he grows into that this season is gonna be a big part of it. Certainly have to tip your hat to to Parker White is also on this roster. He's in that competition as well. But as the Packers look to take that next step here potentially without Mason Crosby, although as Bisachi said, you never know those doors stay open. You do want to give Anders an opportunity to make this position his own, show that he can do it at this level. And when you invest a sixth round pick into a guy, much like the Packers did with Mason in two thousand and seven, you want to be able to see his true potential reveal itself. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I think that that's going to be another storyline to follow all through OTAs and training camp leading up to Week one. One last thing I want to touch on before we go. I mentioned the new defensive passing game coordinator earlier, Greg Williams. He's replacing Jerry Gray who left for a position with the Atlanta Falcons. And you had brought this up or had mentioned it in the five things to Know about Greg Williams that was posted on our website when he was hired. And it's the story of how his coaching career actually got started. And it's quite a story, and I'll let you tell the cliffs notes version of it.
Speaker 2: How many times do you go out of a mall or out of some kind of event and you see the flyers on your windshield, like, gosh darn it, now, I got to actually take this thing off, or in a couple occasions, I even drove away with those things without noticing it. Well, that's what happened with Greg Williams while he was playing in the Arena Football League a long long time ago. They actually had a like basically just to put out some flyers for coaches and trying to build up some youth programs, and he decided, hey, you know what might be a good opportunity for me. He absolutely fell in love with it, understood that this was probably the end of his athletic career individually, and started to look at the coaching aspect of things. He ended up taking advantage of that opportunity, and it was sort of his foot into the door. I mean, obviously a lot of quality control jobs and things that led him eventually down the line. But the fact that he ended up this all started for him in Arizona when I believe he was with the Arizona Rattlers. The fact that he ended up then being the cornerbacks coach of the Arizona Cardinals, I think is the coolest aspect of that story too. Starting off with a flyer looking for people to coach, I forgot what the age level was if it was like middle school, but looking.
Speaker 1: At it, he said, he said it was. He said it was like nine and ten year olds. It was young people like yeah, nine and ten year olds in like a YMCA basketball league. Now most of us, you know, we get involved in coaching in that regard because our kids are in it, right. So, like, you sign up to be an assistant coach and you're there and you do your part to help out the program. He didn't, He didn't have kids. He was he was a guy who was just, you know, figure trying to figure out what his next phase of life was going to be as playing football was wrapping up. So he decides, okay, I'll go coach a bunch of nine and ten year olds in basketball, and they made it to the championship game. He said, they ended up losing. They ended up losing the championship. But obviously, you know, right out of the gate, he had some he had some coaching prowess there, and and you know it went from there. I absolutely love the story. I think it's I think it's it's tremendous and it'll be it'll be fun to get to know him here while he's coaching in Green Bay.
Speaker 2: And a cool thing for him to the NFL Accelerator Program in Minneapolis. He's going to be representing the Packers at that, a venture that was put together by the league trying to promote some minority coaching candidates into potentially being able to grow their careers and potentially also head coaching opportunities DOWNLNE. He'll get that opportunity. I really enjoyed our interaction with Greg Williams. I think it lasted like ten twelve minutes whatever it was first time we had a chance to talk to him. And now is going to be the individual working with Jyry, Alexander Rasul, Douglass and the rest of that room now going into twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and one of the guys figuring out along with Ryan Downer, the defensive backs coach, along with Joe Berry, figuring out that that safety competition that we talked about and who's going to who's going to line up where and uh and uh. That'll be one of the big storylines here throughout the spring and summer. So with that, we will call it a wrap on this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team. It's continuing every day. We have content for you on packers dot com for Wes, I am Mike. Thank you for tuning in everybody. We will see you next time.