Speaker 1: An award winning family owned business with exceptional diamonds, engagement rings, jewelry, and time pieces. Continental Diamond is the jeweler Minnesota adores in Saint Louis Park or online at Continentaldiamond dot com. Hey guys, another great episode this week. It's Packer Week and we got diehard Packer fan Pete Lee to come on and talk about his life as a Packers fan. He's been on The Tonight Show seven times, He's got an insane amount of credits. He's been all over the map. His latest special is on Showtime. He's the absolute best. I think you guys are gonna love it, enjoy the show. I don't know what Tom is here.
Speaker 2: We gotta go there, We gotta go the gontill Tom.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen. It is Packer Week we're coming off of I don't I get real emotional around big wins, so I don't want to say the biggest. I'll use too many descriptors here, but we're riding high as fans. We're coming in to a matchup against our biggest rival, and I get to see one of my oldest friends in comedy from the same club as myself. I'm from your club. However you want to describe it. It doesn't matter. I'm terrible at intros ladies and gentlemen. Pete Lee, Hello, a.
Speaker 2: Hey, Oh my god, it's so good to be here. It's so good to be here. I remember when you first went up at Acme Comedy Club and I got to see how funny you were, and you're all tall and good looking and confident, and I think my first sentence that I uttered about you was like, God, I hate this guy. And then like I met you in the bar right and I didn't hate you for any reason other than like envy, you know, because like nobody's that good that first their first time. And then like you were tall and good looking and super confident, and then you and I hung out in the bar afterwards. I was like, oh, this is awesome. And I think I was doing a show there and you were one of the openers. And then I was like, like, all week long, I watched like every set that you did, and I was like, this guy is brilliant.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, Pete, that's the nicest thing anybody said on this show to me, ever, And I'm not gonna have it, okay, don't you it's Packer week, don't you. I understand what you're doing. You're the sweetest man alive, and I know you mean those things, but you you're saying them because you're recording this podcast in your car, and you don't want me to mention it. First of all, you look great, you sound great. You are recording in your car, which feels like the if I had to pick a place that a Packer fan would record a podcast from, it would be a vehicle. But in in true contradictory fashion, it is an electric vehicle. So it's a real packer conundrum here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's a real packer conundrum. I will say, I am so. My wife is doing a zoom call right now. Sure, and like many of us, you know, like when they're on the call in the office that's in the living room, you're basically like, I feel like I'm one of her co workers. I actually feel like I'm a janitor at her work, because like last week, this lady quit and she my wife was talking to her boss and they're like, man, we just didn't see Pamela quitting. I'm like, I'm like, I saw it coming. I'm just mopping in the background. I'm totally the janitor at her tech firm.
Speaker 1: I feel that way all the time. I especially when there's conflict at my wife's work. I like start pacing by the door, like trying to whisper things that I think she should say in response. I'm the worst. It's that's the problem with being a comedian is you are in the home, and if the other person works in the home, well, guess what you got the worst cubicle mate of all time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean, like I used to work in advertising when I lived in Minneapolis, and like like I always had that guy that like had less to you than I did, you know, Like like I was in the Internet department, which was booming, and then there was this guy in accounting that would just come down to my cubicle and he had all day to talk and I just had no time to talk. And now I'm him in our house because I have all day. I'm a comedian. I'm video editing when I want to, and like I'm I do video editing, and I also hired an editor, so like my wife knows that I have nothing to do, and like, if I am going to do any editing, it's by my choice. So like I'm always popping in, like, hey, you want to take a break, you want to go down to the coffee shop and grab a donut? You know, Like she's she's doing that right now in the house because she's the man of the house and I'm relegated to the car well.
Speaker 1: And let's not sell yourself short here, Pete. You're not just an editor that had to hire another editor. You're also the owner of a sports franchise. Because your fan base is filled with people who have a piece of paper that told them they own their franchise. Congratulations on your ownership.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The ownership was given to me by probably the worst girlfriend that I ever have had in my life. And I remember when I got that Christmas present from her. When I got that Christmas present from her, I was like, I was like, I think this is gonna be the best thing to come out of this miserable relationship. Like she wound up cheating on me with a TGI Friday's bus boy. But you know what, I'm a Packers owner because she got me that for Christmas.
Speaker 1: The problem with I think a lot of Viking fans love to make fun of the ownership thing. They love to poke at it. And I do think that makes sense because you guys have a worthless piece of paper. But at the same time, I think there's an envy from other fan bases because if you're honest, you go, I would absolutely do that if that was my team, I would one hundred percent that.
Speaker 2: I know that it's worthless. But I will say this about Packers fans. I know dozens of people that do not know that that piece of paper is worthless. They're they're like, we go around owners meeting every single year because they do that.
Speaker 1: I'm here to tell Mark Murphy what I think and that's my right as someone who owns stock in this company.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like they let us take a vote. Like the last time that I went, we we voted to let Brett Favre back on the team officially so we could put him in the Hall of Fame. And there were people at that meeting that were like, all right, well, let's see, let's see how this vote goes. And I'm like, how do you think it's gonna go? Man, Like, like Brett Farve is, Brett Favre is here, like he should. He flew in on a private plane. There we're gonna vote him in.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine Brett Favre getting on a plane flying to Green Bay under the guys Like, that's got to be the most rigged of all time. He's not getting on that plane unless Mark Murphy's like, listen here, Brett, it could be ten thousand to zero. Nay, we're gonna flip it. You don't worry. We got you. There's no way that goes the other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And when they were like like do you vote, you know, like all a posed, you know, like and then a few people were like and then they're like all four and Brett fav literally like like stuck up his hands like he was like he was accepting the ovation that he was getting. And it was like it just was so rigged. But yeah, every year they have some sort of a vote where it's like should we have caramel corn at the concession stands? And then we get to take a vote, and it's like our vote really matters. It's so funny.
Speaker 1: That is so stupid. It's crazy, and I'm so jealous, like and I'm the sort of psycho too that like I talk about this a lot on the show. This organization has made the mistake of granting me access. I was just at the Niners game, walking around on the field at the same time as all the important people, and that's an absurd choice on their part. I really appreciate it. Let's be very clear about that. But if you put me in, do you know how serious I would take an ownership meeting? I would be up there, like, let me tell you about this caramel coorn. Okay, Like every year that vote is something I'm building up to. I have a good ability to not let negative results from sports ruin my day, but I have no ability to not take it, like to become just a lunatic about everything.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, I mean that's why they're called fanatics. You know, you're literally a fanatic that's been invited into the organization. It's yeah, I don't know the NFL is. I mean, it's a beautiful company. I've worked for him a couple of times. I had a pilot for the NFL network called After Further You. It was kind of like best week ever for sports. What I was doing is I was I was on YouTube and I did an NFL recap show every single week, and I was using like unauthorized video and pictures and then I got I got an email from the NFL, like from their lawyers, and then I basically told them, like they were like, can you take this down? And I was like no. And this was before like the NFL could just go to YouTube and have them take it down. There just wasn't a channel for that, you know, back in those days. And so like I said no to them, and like if my clips circulated around the office, because they're like, can you believe that this jerk like just said no to us, We're the NFL. And then enough people saw my clips that they're like, maybe we should do something with this guy. So the NFL network man reached out to me and they were like, hey, do you want to do like kind of do your show as a pilot, but like you got to take your stuff down from YouTube. And so I made that deal with them, and we actually like I would go to the NFL headquarter. It was on Park Avenue in New York, and I would like we we developed the show, we recorded it and it was awesome, and Roger Goodell ultimately didn't end up letting it go. Maybe it wasn't very good or I don't know what it was but like.
Speaker 1: No, I think you should stand firm on that. I think I think your message should be that the commissioner of the NFL voted no on your pilot. I think that's a good stance to take.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think yeah, he voted no. The note that we got back was that they didn't want to build a brand and then erode it through humor, was what what I had the feedback that I got. And to be fair to Commissioner Goodell, I don't know if he didn't want to wrote it through humor or through my humor, he could have just felt like, this is not funny, and I don't want this to ruin our brand by being not funny. I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's the best part. Here's the thing. So I've been in whatever whatever, this version of comedy sports thing. I've been in it for a number of years now. And my favorite thing about it. You would think it would be like the access and the creativity and the unique path. It's always the people who don't believe. I like at ESPN that when they were like, hey, we're gonna do Sports Center but on your phone with a comic, there were people in that building. And then Pete what I would do is I would show up like prior to my show, and ESPN is like a campus. It's this big, beautiful campus. It reminds you of a college town. And they have a cafeteria, they have all the studios, all the buildings. So I always worked a night shift, but I'd want to get there in time to eat and see the people that I liked that work during the day because there was a day team and a night team, and I would always show up in like shorts or if I was wearing long paints, it was tights with shorts on top of it. And I'd been there like two months and I finally had somebody of pretty large reputation be like, hey, you should wear some pants, and I was like what, and he goes, this is ESPN, we wear pants around here. And I literally was like, yeah, but I wear shorts, and I just kept going. So I do love I do love being in that realm. I think if you're in the world where there are people who go I don't know if this works, either they're going to be wrong or right. But I think it's a fun I think it's a fun conflict.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love naysayers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Fortunately this team. You know, we don't pull the curtain back on this show very often, but this podcast is the direct result of the leadership at the Vikings and their content team being willing to I mean, imagine going to an NFL team like I want to get Bert Kreischer and Dan Soder and Pete Lee and just let's just talk and see what happens. And they were like, we love it. So that's that's pretty unusual. Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. I think the Vikings I'm a Packerson, but I think the Vikings are a pretty cool organization in general.
Speaker 1: Far less owners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you guys are not owners, but like watching that Quarterback show, just seeing that like like they had team psychiatrists or psychologists that like Kirk Cousins would go talk to. I don't I mean, I don't think the Packers have that. I think they're like go to the bar, you know, like if you're having trouble, shot a shot of Jmo and drink drink a spotted cow.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine how Packers fans And I'm going to be very stereotypical here and I will own that. So hit me with your messages, Packer fans Can you imagine if your quarterback was on that Netflix show and they watched him go to a psychologist or a psychiatrist. I think psychologists, psychiast. I'm not good on knowing what professions are pretty sure psychologist. But if they'd shown a PAS quarterback doing that, there'd be guys everywhere like not on my watch. Brother, We don't talk about nothing in this state. We bury it.
Speaker 2: If Jordan Love went to a psychiatrist every single time that he got sacked, they'd be like, yeah, he got his feelings hurt. They hit Oh they hit him right in the feelings. Oh yeah, Yeah. There's there's just so many and not that there's not Minnesota townies, but like there's just so many Monday morning, you know, towny quarterbacks in Wisconsin, and they all know what they what he should do, and they're so funny.
Speaker 1: Well that's the unique thing about so we both came up at the same club in Minneapolis and then but when you start and you're young, you go on the road. And a big version of going on the road is traveling around Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa doing one night ER's in towns like there's people here, yeah that want this you people. You're trying to tell me that people in this town are gonna come watch me try to make them laugh. And the thing that I learned very early is there is nothing I am less interested in whilst doing small town Midwestern gigs than any football conversation. Oh yeah, that is. Nothing will make you care about football less than performing in your rival state and then finding out you're from Minnesota. It's awful.
Speaker 2: It's really funny how offensive it is to people in Wisconsin. And like I've always I joke about it on stage, like people are like, oh, you're from Minnesota. Oh oh no, how could you? And it's like it's it's really kind of all the same place. And at some point a drunk guy drew lines, you know, like like I I'm a bit about how the Lions like like this, like the states could be like Minnesota could basically be a rectangle, but they just drew it all weird. But I mean it's pretty much the same place. I think they have a lot of the same agricultural interests. They're like, you know, like I mean, you know there's that bar that's like right on the border of Minnesota and Wisconsin. It's like and it's like painted half Wisconsin colors and half Minnesota colors, and it's it's like literally the same place. But we've created these these divisions through the NFL. And it's not that there's there's state rivalries. It's how serious they are about it and how they don't even have a perception that it's semi ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Spoiler alert. We also like and produce a fair amount of cheese. Yeah, but I will say I do love it. I I both cannot take it seriously, but I don't want to deal with it. When I'm doing a stand up show, I don't like if you put me on stage and you introduce me as from Minnesota in Janesville, It's it's the worst. Now I've got to convince seventy dads that I'm worth listening to for fifty teen minutes because they think I might not like their favorite running back. And I don't have a ton of time for that. But when you go to a like a divisional rivalry tailgate, Oh, paint that all over my wall so I can stare at it forever. Grown men in cheese hats and grown men in horn hats shouting at each other poorly I'll watch that over most other sporting events. It's a really good time for me.
Speaker 2: I had a friend who is a diehard Eagles fan, and the Eagles fan who's just used to the link, you know, used to Phillies fans came to Lambeau with me to watch Eagles packers, and it was so funny because like the way the way Midwesterners like talk trash is just way different than the Eagles fans. So, like my Eagles fan friend was walking through with the Eagles jersey like I'm gonna get jumped, I'm gonna get beat up. And they were like, oh, you're.
Speaker 3: An Eagles fan, all right, well have a bloody marian. I'm gonna tell you how bad you are. Uh fly Eagles fly. Well, you guys aren't even gonna leave the nest, That's what I'll tell you. And then they made my friend do like three shots with them, and and my friend was like they were so nice. They get they gave me like three shots. I'm like, yeah, they're poisoning you slowly with the poison that they've become accustomed to. I'm like, don't do so many shots because we still have three blocks to go until the stadium and that's how they're gonna that's how they're gonna bring you down.
Speaker 2: And he's like, they gave me a broughtwurst. I'm like, yeah, like you're you have diabetes. Now, like we literally that's how we get you.
Speaker 1: We're gonna kill you with with sustenance.
Speaker 2: And then the next year, my buddy was like, all right, well, I'm gonna get you tickets to the Link. We're gonna go out to Philly. And We're driving through the parking lot and I have my Aaron Rodgers jersey on and people are literally founding on my car because I like, I we're in a Packers jersey and they can see it in my rental car and I'm like, oh my god, I am in danger. And so I just kept driving slowly until I found these two giant dudes. They looked like they were like Packers linemen and now they just go to all the games. Like these dudes were huge, and I parked right next to him and I popped up in my trunk and I was like, Hey, I have all this food, all this booze, like I'll cook for you. I was like, just walk me into the game. And these guys were like, yeah, we're actually bodyguards, that's what we do for a living. And so I gave them two hundred dollars and they actually they walked me and my friend out of the game too, so like they're like, here's my cell number. But like I was in physical danger in Philly. It's like a way different thing East Coast to Midwest. But that's why, like, like I've been to Packers Vikings games back when is at the Metrodome, and like I've been around Minnesota fans and they're the same way where they'll they'll they'll really get after you and they'll make fun of you for being a Packers fan, but they're like they're not going to hurt you. That's the key thing.
Speaker 1: I've said this before. I was at the Randy Moss Moon game. H I did feel in the third quarter because that was a blowout and nobody expected it. And I remember cheering after a touchdown at some point in the second half and being like, oh, let's put our jackets on. Like I felt that because that was the playoffs. But even then, the worst we got was like some bad looks And that's always been my experience on the way out to that game. It was my nephew Seth and I. I've got a big Hillbilly family. So I was nineteen with my nearly adult nephew and he was a senior in high school and we were driving out to that game, and we stopped at a truck stop and I locked my keys in the car, and so we were We eventually called someone to come open it for us, but for a minute there we were in the heart of Wisconsin, at a Wisconsin truck stop on the day of a Packer playoff game, trying to break wearing Vikings gear, trying to break into my own car with a coat hanger, and people were helping us. If that happened in Philadelphia, just leave your car and go back to your home city, because nothing. If you're not in that car in thirty seconds, it's not gonna end awesome. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like people would be heckling you, because number one, if you're in Philly, they're better at breaking into cars than you, and they're they were like, hey, pal, nice try.
Speaker 1: You don't even got one of those magnets.
Speaker 2: Why don't you got a magnet? One time I was outside, I was outside of one of the Philly cheese steak places. I won't say, all right, it was Gino's. I'm friends with Geno from Geno's Cheese Steaks. And I was just trying to parallel park my rental car and this guy didn't like the way I was parallel parking, and then he wanted to fight me when I got out of it.
Speaker 1: It's total Norman.
Speaker 2: I was like, this town is psycho, like like Philly is psycho. It's absolutely insane.
Speaker 1: That's how you can tell where the walls fall down between Packers and Vikings fans because and I think Bears fans are a little bit outside that, because Bear's Chicago has a different attitude, right, I don't find their attitude to be as similar to our two team and fan base's attitudes. But it never becomes more apparent how similar we are than we're like, hey, let's talk about that team that has a that used to have a jail underneath their stadium. Should we talk about them for a minute, And we're just like, yeah, let's all hug and go to the game together. We like each other. It's a very very different vibe. And I you know, obviously Viking fans, with how poorly things have gone for us in Philadelphia the last few years. Will will lap up all of your Philly disdain Pete for sure?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah. Last night, so I'm we have a house in Arizona, and so we're down here for the Diamondbacks win. And we went to a bar and there were these Phillies fans that were there and they're like a kid believe we're losing at home. And I'm like, it's not an advantage for the Phillies to be at home, because if the Phillies start losing, it's not like your fans are going to be supportive. Like the fans were booing their team when they're down two to four in the NLCS last night. I'm like, it's a disadvantage for them to be at home.
Speaker 1: Home field advantage turns to a non one really quick in Philadelphia if you're not playing as well as the fans want you to.
Speaker 2: Being a Philadelphia sportsperson and losing at home is like if you're at home with your wife that told you that you should hire a plumber, and you're underneath the sink and you start, you break the pipe and it's eight thirty pm and now you can't even go to the hardware store to get a replacement thing, and she's heckling you, going, we should have called a plumber now now our waters show off. I can't even shower before work tomorrow, Like like you're a disappointment at home. That's what being a Philadelphia sportsperson must be like, playing at home when you're losing.
Speaker 1: Speaking of being at home, because I will gloss over this. It just popped into my brain and I will gloss over it and forget to mention it and be mad at myself. I like knowing how people watch games. You know, do you like at home? Do you like the stays? But very specifically, I would like you to discuss when you watch a game, when the game starts, tell me what happens in your home? Pete.
Speaker 2: All right, So we have a little shelf and the it's a shelf in the pantry, and there's a special spot at the bottom of the pantry right next to my dog's food. And my dog has his packers callar, which is a caller that's like way too big for him, Like it's almost like a packer's necklace. Because when my wife went and bought it for him to surprise me, she just didn't size the dog's neck for it or whatever. So he wears his normal collar and then over it it's almost like he's got like a fabric wrapper chain. And as soon as the game starts, and my dog knows that, like all the packer snacks are out and all the like, you know, there's like a cheese play with. My dog loves cheese. He knows that if he goes and he gets his collar and he brings it to me, I'll put it on him and he'll get a piece of cheese and then we can watch the game. But I'm not a superstitious person. My wife is superstitious, but she's like, have you ever noticed that if Diesel's not wearing his collar for the game, the Packers lose? And so like for the Packers Bears game, Diesel was wearing his collar. And then for this season, we've been traveling a bunch, so Diesel has we haven't had his collar to even be with him, and so the Packers have been losing. And then you know, a couple of weeks ago, they you know, they won and it's because he had his collar. And so I just want to say, as an owner, I've been really letting our franchise down. Like the thing that we should really vote on in the in the Packers meetings is like should Diesel always travel with his caller? That's that's the key piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it. That's a tough thing to admit. Like, Hi, everybody, I'm Pete, I'm an owner. I just want to say sorry for last year we didn't bring Diesel's collar with him on weeks that we weren't gonna be home. Just boh, the booze pour down, but transition alert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you.
Speaker 1: This is something else I wouldn't handle. Well. You live down the street from future Hall of Famer slash former Packers great slash current New York Jets quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Do you what? How as a Packer fan, how do you handle that? Have you been pretty chill about it?
Speaker 2: Ah? No. I first of all, I've never met Aaron Rodgers, but I've driven past his house slowly, which he I won't say the street that he lives on in in California or the road or whatever. But when he announced that he was going to the Jets, I almost went down to his house and I did a bit about it because I just I just started talking about it on stage. I was I was on stage in Wisconsin. I just started talking about it. I'm like, yeah, I almost went down to his house. And but then my my wife was like, Pete, you're gonna get arrested. And I was like, I'll just wear an Aaron Rodgers jersey and people would be like, who's who. And then my wife added, she goes, she goes, well, they'll know that you're the real Aaron Rodgers if you just kind of walk with a calf cramp. And this was before his injury, so I'm not trying to make a tasteless insult or whatever, but like he always had that calf cramp like he would he would, you know, limp, and his calf was always hurting him. And so yeah, that I didn't end up going down there. I still love him even though he left the team.
Speaker 1: But you know, it's interesting. You have such a storied history, so you can make a case for a lot of different guys, you know, but there's a pretty good case to be made that he's the greatest packer of all time. He's in that like some that's that sentence is going to hit a lot of different people, a lot of different ways, but I think there's a conversation there. And to have somebody like that so close living to you, yeah, I can understand how somebody get a little weird about that. You could put Matthew Hatchet on my street and I'd be weird about that. And Pete, I guarantee you've never even heard that name. I think he was the fourth wide receiver back in the late nineties early two thousands, So that's you could do that and I'd just be watching walking by, Like I wonder if hatches outside today. So I'm impressed. I'm impressed by your ability to not be like I bet Aaron and I are going to get real close here as friends and neighbors.
Speaker 2: I mean I shouldn't say this, but like he doesn't even have a git on his house like I think nowadays with all the cameras and all that kind of stuff, like like you're you're so safe digitally, you know, and also like if somebody wants to get into your lawn, you know, most of the gates in California are like four feet tall, like you could just hop over that or whatever. It's but like I don't know, Yeah, I mean he and he probably has security and all that kind of stuff. Can you tell I've thought about it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. This is like listening to a guy going through his checklist of reasons it wouldn't work. But you don't know. Pete is like those were his bodyguards in Philadelphia. They were just on vacation for the week.
Speaker 2: Yeah they were. They like, yeah, I mean he was playing in that game, so maybe they just didn't need to while he's on the field, you know, they can't guard him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just get their tickets. They're like, well, we're normally we protect this really impressive guy. Let's help this boy into the stadium. He seems scared, and let's help him all the way through.
Speaker 2: It was funny, you know, like Aaron Rodgers is friends with a lot of comedians, Like you know, I'm I'm tight with Bert and you know, he's tight with Burt, and he's tight with Rogan and all those guys. And he's really tight with Nick Schwartzen, who's our friend. And so it's it's interesting because I think one of the things that stopped me from just walking down there and knocking on his door to introduce myself is that like I'm like, I'm gonna meet him under cooler circumstances.
Speaker 1: That's the rationale I wanted Pete. That's the lunacy that I can get on board with. Right there, when Sigura was in I think somewhere in the area, Mike Cronin, our friend, was opening for him, and so he and Sigura got to meet a lot of the packers and Aaron Rodgers was there, and Cronin was just talking about how great and like easy going of a guy he was, and I just couldn't hear it. I just I was like, give this to anybody else. I don't want this, and this was I don't need this, I don't care about this. Oh, is he the best? Is he a nice fun hangout? Take it somewhere else. I don't care at all. I'm glad he's great. I just have that energy where I used to live in the Topanga Topanga Canyon when I lived in LA and I was in a Vaughn's grocery store and I turned around a corner and Clay Matthews was there. And I think most normal football fans, and this is at the height of Clay Matthews, would have been like Clay Matthews and all I could say to him is like I don't like you at all, and he's like Viking fan and I was like yep, and he goes cool and then we just parted ways. You know. I did it like kind of in a funny way, so he didn't think that I was being a dick, but I just I don't want to hear it. Here's the thing, this is how petty I am. I want you in two years to come back on the show and be like, you're never gonna believe it. I met Aaron Rodgers and all he did was make fun of my ownership of the team. I'd be like, well, now that's good. That's the story. That's the story. He made fun of our meetings. I would love that. That's the story I need.
Speaker 2: I wonder if the players ever have to go to those ownership meetings and then they're walking through the tunnel and they're like losers.
Speaker 1: I've been really lucky to be around a bunch of the players with the Vikings. And I do think, as with any profession, like you're gonna run into some accountants who are apples, right. There's just there's always going to be people in every profession that just aren't super kind. But I have been beyond impressed with the way the players that I've met and spend time with, with the way they wear the fans' passion. And I don't know, like if that's part of the modern era. You know, for so long there was this disconnect between the fans and the players. And now with podcasts and social media, like Draymond Green has, all these players have complete access to the fans and the fans have access to them. And although I think there's been negatives on both sides, like fans who take it too far and players who don't, more often than not I think there is this love and appreciation from players that is like, oh, I we know why you're so upset or you're so happy, and we really like the ability to be in front of you. Maybe that's a new school thing, but I feel that vibe all the time when I'm around players.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the East Coast fans versus the Midwestern fans. I bet Vikings players are like, man, this community means everything to me. I bet Packers fans are like, man, this community is so awesome. Our fans they love us even when we lose. But Man, to be a Giants, like a New York Giant, you know, a Philadelphia Eagle. That has to be hard sometimes when you get booed at home to deal with that. I mean, oh yeah, I remember when I lived out in New York City. Derek Jeter hit his three thousandth hit, which if you remember that, it was a home run, and then at the next at bat he struck out and the fans boot him. It was like the most New York thing that I've ever seen in my life. And he just kind of like went to the dugout like like okay, you know, like like yep, I couldn't done. I mean, people came to the game to try to get video on their dumb phones of his three thousandth hit and it wound up being a home run and then they boot him. It was like, I don't know how you couldn't have some sort of sense of humor about your own fans if you're a New York sports person, Yeah, you know, but you got you gotta say. I love the fans, but I feel like if I was an Eagles player or a New York sports person, I would go home and like my wife and I call it couch time, you know. Where like we can just say things that like you can't say to anybody else, you know, you don't want to put it on Twitter. We can just have couch time. If I was an Eagles or a Giants player, I'd go home and be like, Babe, couch time. Oh my god, they buddh us at home like I dropped the ball, and yeah they were right, but like, oh my god, like these people, like some of them, I just got booed by some of the most unathletic people on the planet.
Speaker 1: That's I was talking about this with a buddy recently. The wild thing about sports is so Kirk Cousins, you said, you know, with the it's been really interesting with the Quarterback documentary to give everybody a glimpse of his inner world. And you know, there's as he's always been a hot topic, you know, in Washington and now in Minnesota. But I was talking with a buddy and I was like, imagine, I'm just imagining this for a second. So let's say I don't I don't like rankings. I'm not interested in rankings, but I'm gonna give a ranking for the sake of it. Let's say you think Kirk Cousins is the eighth best quarterback in the league or the tenth or the twelfth, I don't care. Just pick one for the sake of the conversation and you go, okay, well, that means he's the tenth best in the whole world of a thing and not a thing like anything else. There's a lot of people who don't want to be like, if you're one of the ten best accountants in the world, most of us would go like, cool accounting. But football is the thing that everybody wants, and he's that good, and there are still a lot of people who are like, nah, uh uh, this guy doesn't have it. It's that is wild to me that that is how it works.
Speaker 2: He is a quarterback that has so much precision, like I mean, he's like a surgeon, and you know, every once in a while play will go wrong or like maybe you don't see the field. There are always those things like if you see a quarterback trending on Twitter, chances are there's gonna be one play out of the whole game where a guy was wide open and then they threw it to the sidelines or they threw the interception, and then that's gonna be the thing that all these armchair quarterbacks or all these armchair coaches.
Speaker 1: Or armchair owners, armchair.
Speaker 2: Owners are going to make their case for that's why that guy's the worst quarterback ever. And it was just a lapse, you know. It was like a, Hey, I don't know any decision that I could make quickly when I have three giant guys running at me. And Kirk Cousin does that all the time.
Speaker 1: If somebody said, Pete, pick a joke, and then three adult men started running at you, there's no way you choose a joke before you get hit. And that's just thinking of something you've done a million times, let alone processing a play, executing the play. The amount of things I could do with a grown successfully, with a grown man running at me is between zero and zero. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and especially when the plays aren't even called what the plays are called, Like the coach is like, all right, we want zero mountain shakeshack and you're like, okay, you gotta translate that language into whatever play it is, and then you know, get your guys all on the same page. And then maybe let's say, let's say the wide receiver that was open didn't run the route that you had scripted in your brain or whatever. It was, like, there's so many reasons for it. But yeah, Kirk Cousins, I mean, I'm a Packers fan, and I think he's an amazing man. I think he's a great quarterback. I watched him beat the Minnesota golfers. You know, I went to the I went to the University of Minnesota. I watched him dismantle our team for years when he was at Michigan State. Like we would always play Michigan State for our homecoming because they were like our best chance at winning a game in those seasons, and then Kirk Cousins would come in and just be amazing, and so yeah, I have a great appreciation for him, even as a Packers fan. But yeah, I mean the guy in that Quarterback show, like he would have like bruised ribs and then he would like still go and volunteer on Mondays and like just great, great dude.
Speaker 1: It's wild Pete. I love you a bunch, and I really appreciate you doing this. Thank you. I'm gonna do what we make. You're not gonna like it. I make everybody do it. I do need before we let you go. A prediction for this week's game.
Speaker 2: I hate to say it as a Packers fan, but I don't think we're gonna beat you again.
Speaker 1: But I'd like to hear Daddy give it to me. Daddy.
Speaker 2: I like that, like I love the Packers, I believe in Jordan. Love is what I have to say as an owner. But I don't think that things are clicking right now with the Packers. I think that the Vikings are going to I think the Vikings are going to beat us, like thirty eight to six. I don't think that we're even going to score a touchdown.
Speaker 1: That is a bold prediction that it feels like reverse psychology. I'm gonna I'm going to go with Packers. I think they're gonna get more than six. I'm gonna go with fourteen and I think Vikings one hundred and thirty eight. Pete, you're the best of the best, buddy. Thank you for doing this, dude, Thank you so much for having me. Thanks again to Pete Lee for joining the show tonight, and thank you to our sponsor Continental Diamond. Please be sure to like, subscribe, and download the podcast anywhere you listen to your favorite shows. We will see you all again next week. Join Pa at the Maplewood Buffalo Wild Wings this Friday from nine to noon for Friday Football Feast presented by Coors Like enjoy food and drink specials and a chance to win Viking tickets and more. Visit vikings dot com slash bww for full schedule and details.