Speaker 1: I won't let my body. I'll be outwait everything that I'm made done. Won't spend my life trying to change. I'm learning love who I am again, strong, I feel free, I know every part of me.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: And that will always out way if you feel it. But you all, she'll some love to the h I get that sage day and did you and die out way.
Speaker 2: Happy Saturday, outweigh.
Speaker 3: It's leanne here for a solo episode, or actually it's an entire series, and it's called The Truth About Your Fat. Now you might be wondering what is she talking about? And why are we talking about fat? But just hear me out. So nowadays fat has a bad rap. We hate it, we fear it, we name it, we blame it, we shame it. Some people will do whatever they can to destroy and eliminate its wrath from their lives. But whoever said that fat was ugly or something to be ashamed of? And whoever said that fat was a bad thing? And whoever said that fat was anything other.
Speaker 2: Than well fat?
Speaker 3: But since it is such a prevalent enemy in today's world, and yes I'm putting enemy in air quotes, but since it's not going away anytime soon, we might as well learn about it and hear about it and learn about its properties.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: In fact, if all we do is hate on fat and wish it away, we might miss out on its useful and downright cool characteristics. There's physiological, neurological, and psychological components of fat, but no one is talking about that side of things. And after all, it is this metabolically active substance that's part of our bodies, right, But most women don't know about that side of it, and when you think about it, we fear what we don't know. So, for example, I used to be super scared of going into the ocean. So besides the whole story that I had, you know, that my body was not meant to be seen in a bathing suit, and that my you know, it was a lot of my body image stuff really that contributed to that story of not going into the ocean. But I also had a story that I was downright afraid of the ocean.
Speaker 2: You know, things biting me or attacking.
Speaker 3: Me, or you know, sharks with laser beams and imaginary alligators in my mind most likely, but irrational fears, nonetheless, because none of the things I was afraid of actually happened to me, but in my mind it felt like they had. And like we've talked about before, your nervous system can't tell the difference between a real or an imagined experience. So one day a good friend of mine was like, hey, do you want to get over this fear? And I was like, yes, please, I mean I really wanted to. So he walked me out into the water, and I inevitably shrieked like this little girl every time seaweed grazed my feet, and you know, just further and grain my fears.
Speaker 2: So here's what he did. He picked up some seaweed.
Speaker 3: And he had me look at it, and he had me hold it and touch it and see it and feel and experience that it wasn't going to hurt me, but also to show my logical brain that this is what was grazing my feet and it wasn't a shark. And so as soon as I saw it and I faced it head on and I touched it, I was able to go in the ocean and now actually get in the water after thirty years of not. So I share this with you just to impress upon you that if you do have this kind of dysmorphic relationship with your body fat.
Speaker 2: As in, you know, the subcutaneous.
Speaker 3: Fat on your body and not nutritional fat, which is another topic on its own. I'm talking about the fat on your body. That's why I urge you to actually look at it and learn about it and discover what it is and really what it's not, and that way you can dispel the lies and actually learn what.
Speaker 2: It takes to shift it if you want.
Speaker 3: To do that, both in your mind and on your body, because I promise you it's way more than an eat less move more conversation, like way way more.
Speaker 2: But it's also such a confusing topic.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you ask one hundred different people what the best way to you know, lose fat or lose weight is, you're going to get a hundred different answers, and most of them will definitely, you know, take you down that road of eat less move more, which a lot of times perpetuates the struggles with disordered eating and body dysmorphy and all of that if you don't have a healthy relationship with food. But they'll most likely take you down one of the avenues that you know, the fitness industry created, but in my opinion, that's old school thinking and if you're anything like me again, that's what created a lot of my own disordered patterns in the first place.
Speaker 2: Because what you eat and how you move is is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's part of the equation, but it doesn't cover the whole picture. And so when it comes to your body and your health and yes, you're fat, there is a cause and then there are its effects. Okay, something's going on upstream, and then there's a result taking place downstream. And I truly believe, and science will back me up that your health, body and emotional struggles are simply effects of something going on higher up in your brain.
Speaker 2: And nervous system. Right.
Speaker 3: And when I talk about nervous system, what I really mean is that system of systems that dictates everything. Okay, And so in this series specifically, we're going to talk about a subject matter that really does baffle most women and causes more shame and sadness than any topic I've ever encountered, and it's your fat. We're going to talk about your fat. Let's get to the bottom of this conundrum and just distill the facts, Okay, because all of the conventional approaches are missing out on the most important factor like what is fat?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: What kind of fat is it? And you'll hear what you'll know what I mean, you know when we go through this series, and.
Speaker 2: Why is it there? How did it get there? And is it serving a purpose? Right?
Speaker 3: Because sometimes on a brain and nervous system level, it's actually serving a purpose, which we'll talk about, and most importantly, like what is keeping it from going away? If it's causing something negative like maybe it's causing too much stress on your joints, or maybe it is restricting your muscles, or maybe it's keeping you in an unhealthy state. Right, And so that is a three dimensional conversation and a three dimensional you know question, because it's not just a body thing, and it's not just a mind thing, and it's not just a brain thing. It's really all three And if we don't get all of your three dimensional self playing on the same team, everything that you do to influence your situation will probably just create temporary change.
Speaker 2: And so you might be able to.
Speaker 3: Motivate yourself or willpower your way there and you'll see some temporary results, but you won't be able to create those permanent changes that you desire until you address the cause of the problem and really create true freedom and health for yourself, which which is really what you want. And of course I mean that you know, holistically, three dimensionally, and of course that's going to be relevant when we're talk talking about your subcutaneous fat and as you'll learn, fascia as well. And so you want to make sure that you're addressing the actual wiring in your brain that's keeping you stuck. Okay, And like I said before, and what I've found throughout my own trials and successes on my own body and the bodies of every single woman I've ever worked with the problem, and the solution is three dimensional, like we said, And until you address both the internal and external environments that are influencing your physical, mental, and emotional you know wiring, unfortunately, your fat isn't going to go anywhere in the long run, right, So what can be done about it? Well, we're going to open up this can of worms on today's podcast and really throughout this whole series. Okay, So this is part one, and so on this episode, I'm going to enlighten you on this magical tissue that we call fat and it's really cool relative fascia and in future episodes. We're going to be getting into some methods and philosophies that I feel will change the game for you when it comes to accepting your body and working with your body, and taking this topic of fat on your body and flipping it on its head so it doesn't own you or define you. So let's just go ahead and dive on in. So let's just go ahead and dive on in. But before we dive into the meat of it, I want to just give you a bit of context of how my big fat story went down for me and how I discovered everything I'm going to share with you, and really why it's relevant to you, as in, you know why you should care about your tissues, right and trust me, I used to say the same thing. I didn't care about any of this, right I was, you know, when I was at the height of my disorder, I was just chasing skinny or chasing lean or whatever. But after my surgery, the craziest things started happening. I shared a lot about what I'm about to talk about in the Learn from My Mistakes episode here on Outweigh, which we will link in the show notes. But because I wasn't taking care of my body, and like I said, I was just chasing skinny as I now call it, but you know, I was ignoring my true health. Yes, I had a lot of you know, psychological struggles with food in my body, but I ended up needing major spine surgery because I was super injured.
Speaker 2: But I kept trying to work through it.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Like that's really how toxic my relationship with my body, you know, really manifested because like I said, I was really injured, but I was like, oh my gosh, if I stopped moving, if I stopped working out, I'm going to gain all this weight. Like it was a give and take that I didn't know how to get out of. But it's also what eventually woke me up to address it. And so I really am grateful that that happened. But just to give you some context, my surgery was a success, but I had a lot of neurological struggles after my surgery. And so the first thing I noticed is I just felt different, like I went under anesthesia and it's like the lights went out and when the lights came back on, I just kind of felt different. And I wasn't really always able to describe it, especially back then, but it was mental, like mentally I felt different. It was definitely physical. And the first physical thing I noticed that was from my pinky finger to my pinky toe on my left side, So that whole line on my left side from pinky to pinky, I just couldn't feel it as much as I could feel my right side.
Speaker 2: And so some people.
Speaker 3: Are like hyper sensitive and have pain after a major injury or surgery, but for me, it was almost like I was undersensitized and I had desensitization on that side of my body in terms of how well my muscles were firing and just how that side of my body moved. But on the flip side of that, it's almost like I was given this gift because my body awareness was also hyper sensitive, Like I could feel everything on this new level, and that part of it wasn't just physical, like it was emotional energetically physically, I could just feel other people's emotions more too, not just my own. So it was it was quite the contradiction, you know, Like muscularly, I couldn't perform as well on my left side as I could on my right side. But on a sensitive level and a body awareness level, I had this whole new gift, so to speak, but I didn't call it a gift at the time.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It actually really scared me. You know, keep in mind, I was twenty five. I was scared nobody could help me, and because of what I was doing on a career level, I also felt like a fraud because back then, and you know, this feels like an alternate lifetime and alternate universe now, but I was supposed to be this you know, fitness expert on TV and in the media and all of that, and here I was figuring out what was going on with my own body in the background. And that's a whole other topic on its own, one that I touched on in the Learn for My Mistakes episode. But one of the main things I noticed, or one of the first things I noticed, i should say, was my fascia, which I'll tell you about in a moment. And the only reason I discovered fascia is because I was just playing around by massaging the left side.
Speaker 2: Of my body.
Speaker 3: Like I told you, I couldn't really feel the left side as much as I could feel my right side, so I was always trying to kind of wake it up, touching it and using tools like foam rollers and getting massages and dry brushing. I mean, you name it, I was doing it. If there was a gadget, I owned it. And I discovered that there was this area of my glutes where my glutes just pretty much weren't turning on, like they were not firing. And then I noticed that there was pockets of fat on my hips and my sacrum area, and that it was relational to where my glutes were not firing, Like it was almost fat pockets covering up my glutes, but it wasn't this normal subcutaneous fat. It felt very thick and sticky and fibrous, almost like it was casing or incasing my glutes, and in a ways it kind of felt like scar tissue. But I knew enough about the body to know that it was some sort of fascia.
Speaker 2: So I noticed that and it caused me to literally, I mean, this is fifteen years ago.
Speaker 3: I just started googling fascia and learning about it, and from there on out, I have been obsessed with fascia, or as my dorky self likes to say, I've been fascionated by it. In side note, just to give you an idea of how obsessed I am and have been obsessed with it and how much of a difference just knowing about fat and fascia has made on my life. I actually own fashionate dot com like I've had it for years because I always knew I was going to share my truths about it and ever since I discovered the connection between fat and fascia.
Speaker 2: You know, at first, it actually really made me mad.
Speaker 3: And it made me mad because I was like, why is the world not talking about this right? And obviously now I realize that being mad doesn't serve me and it doesn't serve you or anybody, but it was that much of a game changer for me, I should say, So I'm no longer mad about it, obviously, I just want the world to know about it. And really that's why we're here, and it is such a big topic. And unfortunately, most of the world in mainstream knowledge is not connecting the nervous system and fascia to your health. So if this podcast episode and see you even just helps a small pocket of the world understand what a big player fat and fascia are in your health journey, well that would honestly just make me really happy.
Speaker 2: So that's what the goal is.
Speaker 3: And we're gonna do just that, and I'm going to tell you all about this magical world of fat and fascia and why it can be the game changer for you that you didn't even know you were looking for. And so we're going to talk about the specifics of fat and fascia and why you should care in just a moment. But first I wanted to share with you something that I wish somebody had told me when I was younger.
Speaker 2: I wish I had gotten this memo.
Speaker 3: When I was spending all of that time and energy harming my body just to you know, chase thin or chase skinny, like I said I was doing. And here's an analogy I use with my clients to drive my point home. So you know how whenever you get a first like you first get a new phone or a new gadget, you take really good care of it and you protect it like it's this sacred thing, right And I know for me, I like I would do my best to make sure that the screen didn't get a scratch on it, and that it was you know, safely out of harm's way of the bathtub or toilet, and that it was safely nestled in a protective case, you know, you know, just in case I dropped it, But then you know, inevitably that first drop would take place, you know, the one where you suddenly feel like you're in slow motion saying like no, as you see it falling to hit the floor, but you're not fast enough to be able to do anything about it, and you know your panic was probably unnecessary, and you know, you pick it up and realize like, okay, it got its first scratcher bruise, but it was gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But for me, with every new phone I get, you know, the new novelty wears off little by little, right like the shiny new object loses it's just out of the box luster after so long, and other things become more of a priority than taking care of your phone. And so the days and the weeks and the months and sometimes years, if it makes it that far, they pass and life goes on. But then I don't know, if you remember back in the day, like they had those they would send out emails being like you can get a new phone, and so you'd get that in inevitable email from your cell phone company. And for me, like you know, letting me know, I'm I'm almost due for an upgrade. And you know again back when they had those upgrades and you would replace your phone every few years, and it worked like a charm for me, right, for me, it got me started like scanning the latest models and having daydreams about my future cell phone partner in crime and.
Speaker 2: You know, premeditating all the things we would do together. And I'm just kidding, but you know, why wouldn't I do that though?
Speaker 3: Because they were enticing me with this free upgrade.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't I do that though? Because they were enticing me with this free upgrade.
Speaker 3: By this point, though, every time I would look down at my current phone, which was still probably in pretty good shape, I would notice the scratches or I would notice how banged up it was, or you know, bogged down or slower it had become. And of course, you know these are first world problems, right, but like roll with me for the sake of this analogy. But like when it happens, you start noticing, like, okay, it's slowing down, and at that point in time, you probably wish you had, you know, a faster, better, newer one. And for me, I would start dragging that thing around like it was a burden, you know, like secretly waiting for my upgrade to come through, or secretly hoping it would fall in the toilet so I could get a new one instead of the one I had, because you know, the honeymoon was over, right, and the thing I used to look at with googly eyes and take care of it like it was my firstborn child was officially a nuisance or an annoyance and something I couldn't wait to get rid of or replace, Okay, And the idea of being stuck with it, like that's not what I wanted, right, And I know this is a really hard knock life example that we're talking about here, but roll with me because we're all.
Speaker 2: A bit guilty of this when you think about it.
Speaker 3: Right, Maybe it's not your phone per se, but there's something in your life that you treat like gold. Maybe it's a friendship, Maybe it's a relationship when it's new and exciting, right, And of course at the at the beginning of anything, it gives you that, you know, the post purchase or post connection dopamine rash that feels oh so good in the moment, But just like any gadget or gizmo like you use it until it doesn't operate efficiently anymore, or there's.
Speaker 2: No more rev and it's engine. So think about that.
Speaker 3: And now let me ask you, how do you treat your body? And I don't just mean your arms and your legs and the hair on your head. I mean all of it, all the little bits and bobs that comprise this miraculous piece of machinery that we are all pretty dang fortunate to be able to test drive throughout our lifetime.
Speaker 2: So do you treat it like your old cell phone?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Do you treat it like you have another one waiting for you on standby or at the phone.
Speaker 2: Factory or Apple store?
Speaker 3: Do you love it and protect it and care for it as much as you would a brand new iPad or gulp, a brand new car. And the truth is, and I will be the first to admit this, I did not value my body. For most of my life. I heard about this idea of like, when you get older, you're gonna need to take care of your body, right, But for me, when I was younger, I was hearing the messages about getting skinny, like I said, like I was chasing skinny, and so yeah, I understand that at the ripe old age of forty, I'm not supposed to again again with air quotes know what goes on inside the mind of someone double my age that's simply trying to take care of their body.
Speaker 2: But I promise you I.
Speaker 3: Do, and up until about, you know, twelve fifteen years ago something like that, I couldn't have cared less about self care or taking care of my body, right because back in the day, just like any other twenty something woman who at the time, my biggest body concern was whether or not my muffin top was hanging over my jeans and if I.
Speaker 2: Could smooth it out with shapewear. Right thinking about my.
Speaker 3: You know, body as this miraculous machine that was very boring to me, or it just didn't resonate with me, I should say, And it wasn't as sexy as looking good in my skinny jeans or fitting into that cute little.
Speaker 2: Black dress because obviously.
Speaker 3: I didn't know what I didn't know, and I only knew what I knew. But my injury and surgery and then the subsequent after effects of my surgery completely changed the way I saw my body, and honestly, the bodies of the women that I worked with, and I started a journey that would force me to literally relearn things like how to crawl, then stand up and walk again, and then eventually run.
Speaker 2: But here's what I would say about it now.
Speaker 3: I used to completely neglect my body like it was my old, beaten down cell phone right before I was due for a new one, and I cared more about how it looked or what size it wore than how it felt, how it moved, or how long i'd actually be able to keep it in service right because I punished it and I restricted it, and I fought it every step of the way when it didn't perform to my liking or look how I wanted it to look. And I starved it and then overstuffed it, and then pounded it to the pavement and over exerted it, and then got mad at it when it needed a break from all of my demands. But most important to note, I treated it like it was just a thing that I was stuck with or burdened by, or just putting up with for a little while until I could replace it with a newer model. But the reality eventually sunk into me that there was no newer model waiting for me in some.
Speaker 2: Factory, like this was it. This was the body that I had, This was the only one I got.
Speaker 3: And to be honest, because this podcast is all event about transparency, you know, this pissed me off for a long time, right.
Speaker 2: Like I was mad. I was so mad. I felt so frustrated.
Speaker 3: But I wasn't mad at the universe or the cards I got dealt. I realized I was mad at me. I was mad at my body for so many years. I was so mad at my body and myself for being someone who you know, quote unquote let her body become so quote unquote broken. And I keep using air quotes because this was actually how I talked to and talked about my body, like my body was broken and like I did something to deserve it all.
Speaker 2: And then the more.
Speaker 3: Mad I got at it, the less I deemed it worthy to get my love, attention and care.
Speaker 2: So I just brought on more.
Speaker 3: Punishment and restriction and abuse, and the cycle just continued. And in my cycle was like, Okay, treat it like crap, hate it some more, show it whose boss, and you know, punish it with diets and exercise restrict and then wash rents repeat. And so what I'm about to say might rub some people the wrong way that believe that self love is the.
Speaker 2: Air quotes miracle that will change your life. And I do believe self love is a massive part of the puzzle. Don't get me wrong. I talk about it all the time.
Speaker 3: But how can you truly love something like your body or someone like yourself that you don't even deem worthy of taking care of? And so here's my invitation for you as we get into this topic of fat and fascia.
Speaker 2: What if taking.
Speaker 3: Care of your body and your fat and fashia as you'll learn, and taking care of your health and taking care of yourself was the new self love?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What if that was the verb form of self love?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: What if taking care of your body and your health and yourself was the new self worth or self esteem like it was the verb form of it?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And what if taking care of your body and your health and yourself was the new health plan?
Speaker 2: Right? Like what if your love for yourself could and would?
Speaker 3: I guarantee you it would skyrocket if you simply treated it more like a shiny new cell phone rather than gum on the bottom of your shoe. And again, I'll emphasize when I was younger, I didn't care about taking care of my body. I wanted to be skinny or lean or pretty or whatever words I was using at the time, and there was a major cost. Okay, I call it the cost of skinny. And there's another entire episode here on Outweigh dedicated to the cost of skinny, because I believe that every woman who gets caught up in the diet mentality or obsessively thinking about her weight has her own cost of skinny too. Check that out if you missed it. But here's what I say about it now. Okay, you don't have to be fifty five, sixty five, seventy five plus or deemed a senior citizen to start taking care of your body like it's the only one you've got.
Speaker 2: And you can.
Speaker 3: Still care about your gene size or your waistline, and you can still care how fast you run or how strong you are, and you can still desire to change the way your body.
Speaker 2: Looks, moves and feels.
Speaker 3: But I invite you, in fact, I'm like strongly urging you to just do it from a place of self care, not self control or self discipline. And I can say with certainty that if you are indeed on a quest for self love, the road will be a heck of a lot bumpy, or if it's even possible, if you don't first pass through self acceptance and self care. And trust me, you are way more valuable than some shiny new cell phone. Like you deserve to have a body and a health that you take care of. And if you don't believe that that you deserve it and that you're worthy to have both, like when I say both, like to like your body and take care of it without sacrificing your happiness for your health or your health for your happiness, Well then I am so glad.
Speaker 2: That you are here listening to this podcast right now.
Speaker 3: And don't get me wrong, this body connection and body acceptance conversation is a big conversation, one that we can't possibly tackle in one episode alone. And that's why this is called The Truth About Your Fat Part one, because this is just the first layer. And if you know me, I'm a dorec And yes, I'm sure the pun was intended, but I also chose to name the series and start off this topic by talking about your fat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said it.
Speaker 3: We're going to be talking about your fat in a way that I can promise you you have never heard before and hopefully we'll never see your fat the same way again. So that's it for part one. And I purposely stopped here because we are going to get into the content. But that is the intent, and the intent is way more important than the content, to be honest, because again, if you do have a self critical or dysmorphic relationship with your body or your fat as in again the subcutaneous fat on your body, right, that's why I actually urge you to look at it and learn about it and discover what it is and what it's not, and that way you can dispel the lies and actually learn what it takes to shift it both in your mind and on your body. Because again I promise you it's way more than an eat less move more conversation, like, way way more okay, And that's really my invitation to you, Like, instead of focusing on what you're eating or what you're weighing, go on a big fat experiment, right because, as you'll learn, it is such a powerful way to connect to your body and truly heal your body image.
Speaker 2: And if all you do today.
Speaker 3: Is say hey, I'm done shaming and blaming something that I don't even know much about, and I'm ready to learn and ready to approach it differently, and I'm ready to end the battle I'm.
Speaker 2: In with my body.
Speaker 3: Then that would not only make me very happy, but you are going to love and yet so much out of.
Speaker 2: This entire series. So yeah, that's it for today, outweigh.
Speaker 3: I hope you got whatever you needed to hear today, and I hope this just opened your eyes to something that you might not have had them open to before. And if you liked what you heard today and you want to hear more about the process I teach my clients about rewiring your own brain, then head on over to stressless eeating dot com and sign up to watch the Stressless Eating Masterclass, where I'll walk you through the exact five step game plan my clients use to heal themselves from that all or nothing diet mentality for good, but without restricting themselves and punishing their bodies, and definitely without ever having to use words like macros, low carb or calorie burn. And so I've laid it all out there for you in five easy steps over at stressless eating dot com and if you liked today's episode, we will be back next week for more Outweigh, where we're going to get into part two of the True About Your Fat. So I'm Leahne Ellington and I will talk to you then