Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot com. I am Mike Spoffor, joined as always by my partner in everything Packers, Wes Hodkowitz. We're coming to you here from our studio at lambeau Field and Wes. OTAs begin next week for the Green Bay Packers, and we will have access to some of the OTAs over the next couple weeks, not all of them, but there will be a couple of open practices, which means the yeah, thank goodness, not all of them. We don't need to be there for all of these practices, but we will get to see a couple of practices. We'll get some locker room interviews, press conferences, all that fun stuff over the next couple weeks. So here's what I want to do. I want to sort of preview OTAs a little bit in terms of what we'll be watching for, what are we going to have our eyes on, and over these couple episodes, I thought we could split it up. We could preview the offensive side with regard to OTAs, and then on our next show we'll do the defensive side. So offensively heading into OTAs at this stage, what is sort of on your radar at the top of the list in terms of your your observational priorities.
Speaker 2: Here, there's only one thing I'm gonna have my eyes on offensively throughout these OTAs, and it's gonna be whoever whatever, however they're lined up on the perimeter at receiver. We always talk about in the past, right, I mean, the OTAs is usually the uh it's the skill position Olympics in a lot of ways, right, It's it's the cornerbacks, it's the defensive backs, it's the receivers. I remember there was that one time, I want to say it was probably twelve years ago where Mike McCarthy was even downscaling how many running drills they did during OTA team periods because it was like, well, you couldn't thought up, you couldn't do all that type stuff. So you know, what's the point of even going through the motions, right, Let's get some let's get some passes out there. Yeah. But more than any other position, I think you're going to see a significant change at the wide out because you know, with Romeo Dobbs, we all knew he was going to be moving on. I think everyone had a pretty good feeling for that, and kudos to him and congratulations to him for the contract that he got for the for the Patriots, and I think is a really good addition for that offense. But the one that surprised all of us was the fact that Dantavian Wicks then got traded, So that made it very clear what the Packers' receiving corps is going to look like, or at least who's standing atop that top three on the podium with Christian Watson, Jaden Reid who was recently extended, and then certainly Matthew Golden, the first round pick from last year that everybody's expecting to take a massive step forward now, especially with more playing time in twenty twenty six. So just seeing what that trifecta looks like together is going to be really is going to be one of the big things. And then also how many reps does Sky morget? Where is bo Melton playing? Is he going to be at receiver again? Is he going to be at defensive back? We're gonna have to wait and see and then save on Williams, the third round pick from life year.
Speaker 1: That was the other one I was gonna mention too, because to me if if we're talking and we're going to be talking a lot about Matthew Golden obviously with the two veteran receivers you mentioned that are no longer here. But then Savion Williams being a second year guy just like Matthew Golden and you know a little obviously a different body type, different skill set and whatnot. How does he get worked into the offense now with really you know, a higher profile than he had as a rookie. And also hopefully he's healthy. Same thing for Golden, because both of those guys as rookies dealt with some injuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and where does Savion line up? Right? We saw him last year on the end a rounds, sometimes taken direct snaps as a running back in the backfield and some of those two RB pony looks. But then by the way he showed downfield, he can make some plays on the ball too. I mean it had a really impressive catch radius and was responsible despite his limited workload for a couple of the Packers' you know, best catches of the twenty twenty five season. So yeah, as much as these moves were made to clear the way for or Matthew Golden and making your first round pick and giving him as many opportunities as he needs to really showcase his talent. Savion Williams was a third round pick last year, there would have been a lot of years, Mike, where that third rounder might have been the Packers first receiver that they took in the draft that might have actually had a big role right away, like Romeo Dobbs did as a fourth rounder in twenty twenty two. But yeah, when you talk about Jordan Love developing that chemistry and then also the Green Bay Packers having to find their offensive identity with these receivers. When you know how many times I wrote about it an inbox, but you've talked about it too. You know, Romeo Dobbs was the go to target in third down situations, in red zone situations. Who's going to pick up that mantle? Now? What is Jaden Reid gonna look like now? Coming back off of last year and unfortunately having the collar bone issue, but then being there for the stretch run and being able to get into an off season relatively healthy and Honestly, Mike, I think the thing that we're all going to be talking about is for as good as Christian Watson looked last year coming off of the ACL mid season, returning to my goodness, what that young man might do now entering this upcoming year with a full offseason preparation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt about it. And I think for all the talk about, you know, exactly how this receiving depth chart lines up and whatnot, And I know Matt Lafleur is not worried about the depth chart in the traditional sense of things. But Christian Watson is the number one wide receiver on this team not only because of what he's done and what he means to the offense and to Jordan Love, but as we've talked about so many times, he's the guy who changes how defenses line up and how defenses have to prepare because he just he you know, he strikes fear into opponents. And that's not taking anything away from Matthew Golden or Jaden Reid. But when you can when you can run in the four threes and you're six foot four with the catch radius that Christian Watson has, that's a matchup problem. And that's where you know, that's why he's the number one wide receiver is because is because of the attention defenses have to pay.
Speaker 2: He kind of reminds me too of the Preston Smith of the offense too, right where Presson never wore a captain's letter here in Green Bay, but everybody knew he was one of the leaders of that unit. So absolutely, you know, Tucker Craft, Josh Jacobs, Jordan Love, you have some guys with some really established credentials, some very talented dudes that are the heartbeat of this team. But Christian Watson's there too, and I think you saw that when he came back as well as he played. Also the uptick that that brought, the offense, that brought the locker room. It's cool when you see a guy come in as a rookie in twenty twenty two and here we are four years later. I mean, he is unquestionably one of the big leaders on this football team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and sticking with the perimeter weapons for now, I think a couple of other things. We will definitely have our eyes on Number one Marshaun Lloyd and hopefully him getting off to just a good start this offseason or continuing through this offseason and then being able to get to training camp healthy, where then when the pads go on, you get in the preseason game and then and then he can show what he's really about and then with no Tucker Craft at tight end for now, you talk about trying to get off to a good start here, I mean, I think Luke Musgrave is a guy that you know, a lot of people have their eyes on because he's going to be important to this team. Whenever Tucker Craft does come back. It doesn't mean that Luke Musgrave just gets pushed to the side. But you know, Musgrave, Josh Wiley, Messiah Swinson, does the undrafted rookie R. J. Maryland start to make any noise here? So those those perimeter weapon positions, you know, not necessarily looking at where the top of the depth chart is because we know where that is. But but some guys I think the Packers are going to be counting on. You want to see him put a good foot forward this spring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by the way, too, just one other thing to keep an eye on when when you look at the way this football team is orientated. I was thinking about this, how do you replicate you know, Tucker Craft and practices and training. That's gonna be interesting. So like, no, certainly there's gonna be things tailored to to Michah Parsons as well, that only Michael Parsons is gonna be able to do. But Tucker Craft plays not only that position, so much differently than the rest of that group. There's no one like him on the football team. I don't know if you saw that stat. I guess it was more of a chart on social media the last couple of days, but showing like one of those like separations of all the tight ends of the National Football League and just kind of throwing them in different quadrants for productivity, and yeah, they're they touch the ball. Tucker Craft like was I think he was like maybe three or four yards out in his route when he was touching the ball, and just his yards overall. Yeah, compared to the rest of the National Football The guys in a league of his own in that regard. But you know that's still being said to your point about Musgrave and the rest of that group. It's gonna be guys for you know, opportunities for them to get chances. Packers are still gonna be looking to identify an in line tight end or if they're gonna have to go with the six offensive lineman again like they did last year with Darien Kinnard some questions there for green bit answer, but certainly, I mean that's gonna be the conversation. Maybe not so much for ot as a mini camp, especially when we get to training camp every single day when you and I walk out there doing that you know, checklist, taking attendance and then just kind of waiting to see, Hey, when is the day gonna come. If it's in training camp, whenever it happens, or if it ends up being a pup the start season, that is going to be one of the big things that I think all of us are going to be tracking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, OTAs will also give us our first look at Tarad Taylor, the new number two quarterback of the sixteen year veteran who has been brought in now to back up Jordan Love, and we'll see just how much you know of the eleven on eleven he gets and whatnot with having recently arrived and there's a lot to process. But by the same token, he's been there and done that when it comes to learning offenses and getting himself prepared. So I'm you know, I'll be curious just to you know, to see him for the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if you do this at all. I do this. This is one of the things I've started the last few years is when the pack now that the Packers do sign free agents a little bit more frequently than when I first started covering the team, going back and watching the locker room interviews of these guys who are coming in, and my goodness, is ty Red Taylor just an impressive human being. I mean, his resume speaks for itself. When you play sixteen years in this league, I don't care if you're the first overall pick or a six rounder one seventy nine right in front of Caleb Schlaberhoff like Taylor was in twenty eleven. But just the way that he speaks, you can tell. And I thought it was such a great comment. I wrote the story last week, but that comment from Jason Vrabel about he is a leader of men like this is a guy that was born to be a quarterback. And I'm just really excited and intrigued about the idea, too, of bringing in a guy that has that much experience has played you know what, It'll end up being nine more seasons in the NFL right now than Jordan Love and what that perspective can do for love. You know, Jordan is who he is as a quarterback, and he's going to keep growing in terms of what he does. But having a resource like that during the week of preparation in the meeting room on the sideline, Yeah, just having someone you can turn to. I mean, how often did we hear about Aaron Rodgers talking about what it meant to him to have a Matt Flynn that he could bounce ideas off of Scott Tolzen. These guys that really become a sounding board for NFL starting quarterbacks. And Taylor also, pretty much every year of his career has also started at least one game, so to have sixty two starts under his belt and now bringing all that experience to Green Bay now, I talk about it all the time. Man, you need a couple of those guys on your team. You needed a Mercedes Lewis at the turn of you know, twenty twenty, twenty twenty one. I think Tyrod Taylor, I think, you know, we'll talk about it on next the next show. But Javon Hargrive, you know, these are the type of guys that when you have young dudes at twenty two, twenty three, twenty four years old, that are coming in your locker room, doesn't matter about what the position they play. Sure that is an invaluable resource for those guys to be able to lean on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I mean it. You know, I can't he can't even think of the last time the Packers had a backup quarterback as that sounding board that you mention, who's got over sixty starts in the NFL. I mean, I think that's gonna be.
Speaker 2: I think it literally goes back to Jim McMahon. Yeah, for somebody that has that, Yeah, that much of a pedigree and that much credential.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be invaluable. I think for for Jordan love Is his has his arrow continues to point up. We'd be remissive we didn't mention a couple things in the trenches, even though there's no pads during OTAs, the pass blocking and the run blocking and whatever is not real blocking because.
Speaker 2: It's just not.
Speaker 1: But Jordan Morgan is taking over at left tackle, so that's something to keep an eye on. And then the other thing we always look as reporters, we always look for the opportunities to get an idea of kind of what's going on with the depth chart. Right, And the depth chart can always change in OTAs it can change day to day in training camp, it can change day to day, and it means a lot more in training camp than it does right now. But assuming Zach Tom is not going to be at right tackles as he continues to recover from his off season knee surgery, I'll be curious to see, Okay, who's running with the ones at right tackle. Is it gonna be Darien Kinnard, Is it going to be Travis Glover? Is there someone else who's who's in the mix there? As the Packers figure out their depth at at offensive tackle. That's definitely something to watch for as Zach Tom continues to heal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny the other four spots. It's all about guys settling in right. I mean Aaron Banks already is settled in, But I mean Jordan Morgan, Okay, you're the left tackle now, right, Sean Ryan, Hey, you're the center now. Hey, Anthony Belton, who wasn't even playing right guard a year ago at this time, you are the right guard now? Who's going to be that next man up? And and honestly, the most proven depth in terms of the bodies really is on the interior. So it does go back to Darian Canard, it goes back to Glover in some of these other guys that that are going to be a part of that conversation, and it's gonna be a massive opportunity too, because we saw last year, Mike the domino effect of losing Zach Tom in what that meant in the weekly preparation and especially with what we saw in game day, there was always this hope, right we saw him practice, he'd get some reps. Then we're kind of thinking out coming out of that Denver game, Okay, maybe Zach Tom's gonna be okay, maybe he'll be available for a playoff run. Ultimately he wasn't. So now the Packers get a chance to look at the other side of that, because as much as we talk about it, and as much as the Packers value the versatility of offensive linemen, there's a reason why for many years the Packers had designated guys as Okay, well, if Corey Lensley isn't available, it's j C. Tredder. If j C. Tredder isn't available, it's Corey Lensley right right tackle. It was Don Barclay behind Brian Bloga. I mean, they just they knew who that next man up was going to be. And I think a byproduct of the Packers just having so many offensive linemen that they've added over the last few years, they have it through the draft. Mainly there hasn't been like that designated guy other than maybe Morgan behind Rashid Walker. So yeah, it's gonna be It'll be interesting to see how that plays out. But certainly, when we're talking, you know about the top five to eight players on this football team, you know number fifty is one of those guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, another piece of big news in the NFL. I want to get to here, but we do need to pay some bills, so very quickly, let's hear a word from our sponsor. Serious XM NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Welcome back to Packers unscripted wes big news here in the NFL. It's official. Aaron Rodgers is back with the Pittsburgh Steelers, is back with Mike McCarthy, and has announced officially that this is it. To use his words, twenty twenty six will be the last season for the future first ballot Hall of Fame quarterback. Just your thoughts on how just kind of how how this happened, and in my opinion, how cool it is for the league that Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy are are going to be together for one more season. I think it's awesome.
Speaker 2: I think it's awesome. I think it's great for the league. I think the way you saw them even schedule the team out the last two years, whether it was how they had made sure the Packers and Steelers were in primetime last year before we even knew if Aaron Rodgers is gonna end up with Pittsburgh. But they're like, you know what, that's worth putting a chip on that one, right, Maybe it'll end up working out to even this year. I think they're going to Ireland, right, and they have some other real big primetime games that are scheduled in international games. This is what the game's all about. And I don't know if you've got a chance to see the board as far as how it looks right now for NFL quarterbacks and longevity. But Aaron Rodgers is on an island by himself now, especially since I'm pretty sure Philip Rivers is finally retired. I mean he is. It's him, and then honestly, it switches over to like Joe Flacco, Johnson, all these other guys that are in like that, Matthew Stafford twenty eight, twenty oh nine, Yeah, twenty eleven, draft claps, and then it's Aaron Rodgers. I've reminded. I don't know if you've ever seen the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind have not great movie, by the way, two thousand and four Focused Films Focus Features with Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet, and there's a line in the at near the end of the movie of this is it Joel, what are we gonna do? And he looks at her and he just says, enjoy it. And that's kind of where I'm at. Twenty two seasons. In some shape or form, Aaron Rodgers has been attached to the Green Bay Packers, whether he's playing here or not. And that's really my challenge for Packer fans out there. It was kind of the point of what I wrote an Insider inbox on Thursday, was that this is the guy that authored so many incredible stories that we're going to pass down to our children, our grandchildren. People are gonna be talking about those moments in local bars and establishments and vfw's for the next forty fifty years. And I wasn't around to see bart star, right, but I got to hear my grandfather talk about him. And you know, that's there's so much passion, there's so much energy, there's so much emotion tied into the NFL in the present day. But if you can just take that out for a second, take out how things ended with green Bay, take out how the reconciliation happened with Green Bay, and just appreciate that for a guy that you cheered on for so long, for a guy that you wore his number on your back, we all get a chance to watch him play some football every now and then in Pittsburgh this season, and I think that's special. And it was really I was another conversation I had this morning on my way into work. I was talking my buddy Scott about this. It didn't even compute my head that Aaron Rodgers is gonna be forty three years old this December.
Speaker 1: Yeah, December, he turns for forty three. Yeah, how quick that goes by that. That's the part that you know you have to take a step back a minute and process because you know, Matthew Stafford is put together a tremendous career obviously with the Lions and the Rams, and it feels like he's been around forever. Matthew Stafford was drafted four years after Aaron Rodgers. Now Rogers didn't become a starter until two thousand and eight, and then Stafford was drafted in nine and he was a starter right away as the number one overall pick for Detroit. But you think about that, and it's it's mind boggling to a certain extent. I am glad that Aaron Rodgers' last NFL pass is not going to be the pick six at the end of the playoff game against Houston. I am hoping that that playoff game against Houston is not his last playoff game. I would like to see Aaron Rodgers with whatever the result ends up being. I would like to see Aaron Rodgers get another shot in the postseason with Mike McCarthy as as head coach and just see what happens. Now just getting there from the AFC North, when you've got Lamar Jackson and the Ravens, and you've got Joe Burrow and the Bengals, and you know those guys are standing in your way just to get into the playoffs first. Nice, you know, let alone make any kind of noise. But yeah, it's I'm glad he's not I'm glad he's not done yet. And I'm definitely going to try to set aside some time and maybe we'll have more because of all these Thursday and Wednesday games and all this that you and I are going to be covering for the Packers, maybe we'll actually have some more time on the weekends to watch Aaron Rodgers play for the Pittsburgh Steelers. And it's certainly something I look forward to.
Speaker 2: And he touched on it in his press conference with the Pittsburgh media this week too. But the chance to go full circle now with Mike McCarthy, I think is important. Right. You talked about how you're happy that his NFL career doesn't end on a pick six. I'm happy that his run with Mike McCarthy doesn't just end how things ended in twenty eighteen. This is a chance to kind of bring those bridges back together. I think it's that mend has already happened, but for them to be a part for it's crazy how quickly again this moves Mike for them to be apart for as long as they have been now. Mike ended up going to be becoming the head coach of the Dallas Cups for five years. Aaron ended up obviously having the success that he did in Green Bay, two more MVP awards, goes to New York, and now they come back together at this juncture of their careers. I think, I don't I would believe this would probably be Mike McCarthy's last job in the National Football League. For him to be able to start that with Aaron Rodgers, it just feels like the passing of the torch that needed to happen, and for Rogers to extend that olive branch. I don't think he gets nearly enough credit. I think it'll come up in years to come. I don't think he gets nearly enough credit for the work he did with Jordan Love. Certainly, Matt Lafleur his coaches they developed Love the quarterback. But to give Jordan that type of education in the way and his openness with him, that is a part of Aaron Rodgers legacy too, So now he gets a chance to do that with those young qbs in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've got they've got a couple of them. They've got both Will Howard and Drew Aller, the new draft pick from Penn State. I'm really curious to see just how Aaron Rodgers plays this year, because yes, he's a year older, but he's also just another full year removed from that Achilles injury. You know. Now, he obviously was much more mobile last season than he was his first year back from the Achilles. But you just, you know, you wonder sometimes, you know, in the age part of things, that if you do put a little more distance between where you are and when that injury occurred, you know, maybe he's you know, maybe he's gonna be in even better shape, in better position physically than he was last year.
Speaker 2: And he's gonna have better resources to around him, I mean, with Michael Pittman out there. But then just look at the fact that the end of that season for Pittsburgh. It was great that they did make the playoffs. Super dramatic ending to the regular season, right, that was wild, But that offense really sort of reminded me a lot of the twenty fifteen Packers where so many guys were out, Marcus Veldez, Scantlin gets signed off the street, He's turned into one of his main receivers. There were just so much that was kind of working against them at the end of that year, and Rodgers even talked about he had broken bones in his hand and his wrists and he just had to keep plugging along. And that also does it increases the risk factor for this season because there is no encore. I mean, there there is no second act. I mean Aaron Rodgers. Every time he steps out there, this is it. So yeah, it feels it almost makes it feel like it's not just the playoffs where it's one and done. It's every single game this year is going to have huge implications for him and how this last stage of his career is going to play out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's easy to forget. And I didn't even mention it because I didn't think of it in the moment. But the wrist injury that he dealt with last year and that that he played through and and whatnot, and he's now, you know, further removed from that, so and obviously just he'll have all the motivation in the world. You know, he's he's decided, you know, this is it? Okay?
Speaker 2: So here we go, and I should also mention this too as we close out. It's not just Mike. He's playing for either, right. He talked about James Camp and it's on that staff. It's these guys that he grew up with. Mark Levatt, the strength and condition coach who was here when he got to Green Bay in twenty oh five. Grant Thorn is on that staff. Joe Witt is on the defensive side of the staff, Patrick Graham. Mike brought together a lot of his former coaches from different parts of his time in Green Bay, and Rodgers has a relationship with all of them. So, yeah, it'd be interesting to see this. This feels like the proper reducts, right. It felt like the Jets one was sort of forced. They're signing guys, they're doing all these type of things. Nathaniel Hackett comes in his offensive corner. This one really feels like it's Mike McCarthy putting together his coaching tree back together, bringing the band back together, and now Aaron Rodgers being a part of that equation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be fun to watch I think it's just another great storyline in what I think is going to be a season full of them all across the board in the NFL. But with that, we're gonna call it a rap on this edition of Packers Script. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team on Packers dot com. On our next show early next week after the holiday, we will preview the defensive side of things for OTAs and then maybe sometime next week Wes and I'll be out there watching a practice and getting some interviews and all that. So until then, for Wes, I and Mike, thank you for tuning in. Everybody. We will see you next time.