Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Now, Happy Pride Month, everyone, or as it's called at Mike Pence's house, June Pride is a celebration of queerness, acceptance and club remixes you can actually dance to. And today I'm here at Rue Paul's private pool to tell you how Pride Month came to be because just like all queer people, June has a coming out story of its own. You could say Pride's roots go back to the sixties with Billy's Reminder Day. Pickets. Reminder Day was like the precursor to what Pride is now, in the same way that Madonna was the precursor to Lady Gaga. And if you don't get that reference, you should probably stop watching now because this is a Pride segment and you're a terrible ally. The sixties also saw protests all over America, like the Black Cat Tavern riot in LA and a protest at the White House demanding equal employment opportunities for gay people. That's right. It used to be legal to fire people just for being gay, which makes no sense. Who you have sex swith should have no bearing on whether you get to keep your job unless you do it on the copy machine. Well known fact. That is how most paper jams get started.
Speaker 3: I learned the hard way.
Speaker 2: But then, of course, came Stonewall in sixty nine, when police raided a gay bar in New York City called the Stonewall In and the queer community fought back. It was such a significant moment in America's gay rights movement that to this day that whole block is now a historic site visited by people from all over the world. The only way that corner of Christopher Street would attract more gay people is if Britney had a residency there. Stonewall was the big turning point, though they still faced so much discrimination that LGBTQ community finally felt empowered enough to hold big public celebrations. The first ever official gay Pride parade was held in Chicago in nineteen seventy, but one day later, New York held an entire Pride Week. During this seven day celebration, the community marched from the village to Central Park with slogans like gay, Gay All the Way and gay power, which isn't just a good slogan, it's also the energy source that keeps the lights running on Broadway. Of course, we can't talk about Pride without talking about the symbol of it. No, not your grandparents googling what is scissoring. I'm talking about the rainbow flag, which was designed in nineteen seventy eight by Gilbert Baker. He called himself the gay Betsy Ross, which makes sense. Not only did they both design iconic flags, but they also belonged to communities where whigs were very popular. One of the coolest things about Gilbert Baker was that he refused to trademark the Pride flag. He wanted everyone to be able to share it and reinterpret it, which is why today the flag has become as fluid as sexuality itself. By the time we reached the eighties, the AIDS crisis came to the forefront, and Pride took on a new mission. It wasn't just about visibility and acceptance. It was about destigmatizing and promoting public health, which was especially important because the federal government pretty much just pretended AIDS didn't exist, like what Tom Hanks does with CHET. Once we made it to the nineties, Pride was e been more mainstream than ever before, and in nineteen ninety nine, President Bill Clinton signed the executive Order officially recognizing June as Pride Month for the first time. Yeah, if two people of the same gender wanted to have sexual relations, that was fine with him, even if he didn't totally understand the definition of sexual relations.
Speaker 4: I did not have.
Speaker 2: Clinton's executive order referred to June as Gay and Lesbian Pride Month. Then in two thousand and nine, President Obama changed it to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. Then President Trump dialed it back a little and just called it LGBT Pride Month, which makes sense, no big words, and it's less scary for Mike Pence. But these days the Biden administration extended the name again to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Pride Month, making it as of now, the only thing that's been built back better. But whatever you call it, Pride has truly become a global phenomenon. It's celebrated everywhere Manila, South Africa, Brazil, Madrid. Pride's gone to so many places. If it had an Instagram, you'd have to mute their stories. We get it, Pride, you had fun in Spain. Stop making the rest of us feel so boring. So this month, don't forget where pride came from and all the people who fought to make it a reality. The LGBTQ community still faces many challenges, but it's also experienced a lot of progress, and if you ask me, that's worth celebrating.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hello, Hello, we pulls back from vacation.
Speaker 6: Early Vermont Supreme Court gives gay couples legal rights. New Hampshire makes a remark under its breath and scratches its ass. The Vermont Supreme Court, grateful for a case not involving SAP rights and tapping permits, made history yesterday when it ruled gay couples are entitled to the same benefits and protections as heterosexual couples. The ruling prompted jubilation among Upper New England's gay community, thousands of whom took to the streets chanting Yeah, here where quia get used to it? Yeah? Presidential candidate Steve Forbes added his two billion cents, calling the ruling a quote flagrant example of judicial activism. I believe in traditional marriage just like his dear old dad. Being both Vermont based in a highly regarded cultural barometer, Ben and Jerry's ice Cream celebrated the event by releasing new flavors, including apple Brown, Betty Free, Dan, maple Thorpe, and of course penis, geeks, losers, deweeds, simps, propeller heads. These are but a few of the labels that our society uses to describe the science fiction world. But as Steve Carell discovered, our collective intolerance hasn't spawned anger in return, but rather a spirit of inclusion that reflects the deepest meaning of turn the other cheek.
Speaker 7: The worlds of science fiction and fantasy have long presented positive images of gay characters.
Speaker 8: But I was going into Tashi Station to pick.
Speaker 3: Up some power converters.
Speaker 7: However, this on screen tolerance hasn't been reflected.
Speaker 3: Off screen until now.
Speaker 7: Welcome to gay Laxicon two thousand. What is gay Laxicon?
Speaker 3: Gay Lexicon two thousand is a science fiction convention for gay's, lesbians, bisexual, transgenders. They're friends and family.
Speaker 7: Is it hard to tell people you're a science fiction boff?
Speaker 3: Yes? Sometimes people have a harder time with that than the fact that I'm by You're bye? Yes cool.
Speaker 7: Is it time for gay science fiction fans to come out of the closet?
Speaker 3: Yes, it is.
Speaker 7: What would that closet of the future look like?
Speaker 3: I don't know, wouldn't it be cool if.
Speaker 7: The doors themselves didn't roll on little rollers, but have a and little air compressors underneath it. That's the kind of closet you want to come out of, am I right? No matter what form that closet of the future may take. Here at Gay Lexicon, two thousand people are already out donning new experimental personas, attending informative science fiction form, and admiring hundreds of fantasy based works of art. Are you telling me that if I look at one of these, I'm going to be seeing imaginary animals having sex.
Speaker 8: Yes, indeed anthropomorphic erotica.
Speaker 7: Explain that concept to me, Well, that depends on the artists.
Speaker 9: Some of these people are notorious for drawing sexy skunks, some for rabbits, suck for almost any species you can imagine.
Speaker 7: Could you describe what we're looking at here?
Speaker 10: What I'm looking at is based upon a lifetime of study observation.
Speaker 11: I'm trying to make a comment about our society.
Speaker 12: And the way we live today.
Speaker 7: It's a guy having anal sex with a fox. Clearly, there was something for everyone at Gay Lexicon, But as I soon found out, there was more, much more. If I were gay and a science fiction buff, which I am not either of them. What would you have for me to do here?
Speaker 3: The most exciting event? It would be the masquerade?
Speaker 7: What's so much fun about the masquerade.
Speaker 3: That you find out a little bit about the personality it brings.
Speaker 7: It brings out a different side to them.
Speaker 3: Yes, it shows a side that is usually hidden.
Speaker 7: Could not be dangerous. While Jack Frost denied that there was any danger in the masquerade process, I had my doubts. So I decided to conduct a little experiment of my own. How does one create a costume for themselves? I guess first of all, you have to know what you want to be. As I began to immerse myself in character after character, I realized that, in fact, there was no danger. By revealing my inner self, I found myself childlike, liberated, inspired, and very gay.
Speaker 6: Despite the Pope's presence, all is not well in Canada. In fact, many citizens are hoping the Pope can heal some very deep divisions that are threatening to tear Canadian nation apart. Our own Ed Helms.
Speaker 1: Reports Bill Watcott is a decent, hard working Canadian citizen who is being persecuted because of his sexuality.
Speaker 13: I'm Bill Watcott, and I'm definitely a heterosexual.
Speaker 1: I choose to live an openly straight lifestyle. Bill has become an object of ridicule. Is it fair to say that because of your sexuality you've suffered?
Speaker 13: Yes, that would be a fair.
Speaker 1: Statement, suffered because he lives in Canada, our gay neighbor to the north, where if you don't like gay music, gay sports, and gay cops, you're an outsider. And to make matters even worse for Bill Whatcot, he lives in Canada's gayest city, Regina. That's right, Regina, a hotbed of heterophobia, where local gay supremacist Duncan Campbell has this to say about Bill Whatcot.
Speaker 14: I don't think a lot of people like him ouch.
Speaker 1: Even in the face of straight bashing like that, Bill has nothing but kind words for the gay majority.
Speaker 13: Homosexual sex is a sin, doesn't matter what gender. That's disordered sex, and it's a disordered desire and attraction. It's filthy. What have you found to think about the damage they're going to do to each other? And when they're going down that path, they're going down a path that'll lead to a lot of disease and unhappiness.
Speaker 1: He's tolerant, he's well spoken, and he has a mustache, but the gays still refuse to accept Bill Watcot. So in a heroic act of defiance, Bill decided to stand up for his kind and organized a parade in the name of Straight Bride, a colossal demonstration that brought downtown Regina to its knees. It was Straight Canada's finest hour, but the gay majority continues to make Bill's life a living hell.
Speaker 13: One time in Toronto, I had a homosexual try to pick me up. I actually I didn't even know you was gay. I was just trying to help him. You know. We were at a YMCA and he wasn't using crack technique.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry you were aware.
Speaker 13: Okay, the YMCA? Do you have that in America? It's like a health club is it's a gay club? This one turned out to be a gay pickup spot because he asked me to go for coffee.
Speaker 15: And I did.
Speaker 1: Nothing else happened, we swear. But despite these brushes with gayness, Bill has remained impressively grounded in his masculinity. He showed me his gun collection.
Speaker 13: I am actually giving it a decent polish. Now, yeah, polish that thing up.
Speaker 1: And even indulged me in a frontyard tussle. Later, we enjoyed a relaxing moment together where Bill shared even more details about his life as a heterosexual, including the fact that he's a male nurse.
Speaker 13: Not many nurses are hunters and gun owners.
Speaker 1: When will gay Canada accept people like Bill what cut Probably never, and yet Bill what Cutt carries on fighting for the rights of all straight, parade loving Canadian male nurses who sometimes get coffee with people they meet at the y m c A.
Speaker 6: I know, excellent, really nice, really nice job.
Speaker 15: That's I have to say.
Speaker 6: Uh an in depth report is excellent reporting it well done, well, thank.
Speaker 8: You, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: You will it's really interesting. In doing this report, I uh, I realized something about myself.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I uh, I'm straight. I said it. I'm straight.
Speaker 1: It feels pretty good.
Speaker 6: And that's really not the bigg deal. I mean, like ninety percent of the country, I'm straight and I don't go announcing it. But you know, it's it's not.
Speaker 4: That you're straight too.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, ladies and Gentleman TV's Jon Stewart also straight. I had no idea you were. You should hang out yes, yes, because no we could. We could go to the YMCA.
Speaker 1: We help each other, work out, give each other massages.
Speaker 8: Do you slow dance because that's that's gay. That's that's.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 1: I'm straight.
Speaker 8: At helms everybody.
Speaker 16: We'll be right back, you know.
Speaker 6: I had a crazy weekend yesterday, like every year in the end of June last week and dress up in glitter like a peacock, and and I marched down Fifth Avenue to raise awareness of exotic birds. And I gotta tell you, this year, almost more than any other year, it went really, really well. I couldn't believe this.
Speaker 17: Supported I was getting.
Speaker 6: People are like, this is a great day. It's been too long, you know, And I was like, yeah, exotic birds, you know what I mean. And then people are like, it wasn't Friday. Amazing, And I was like, why what happened Friday?
Speaker 3: It is a history making night.
Speaker 18: With a vote that just happened a short time ago, New York becomes a seventh jurisdiction in America to recognize marriage for same sex couples.
Speaker 6: Wow, that's a major civil rights victory. New York was so applauding. Finally, New York State's gay and lesbian community are free from the burden that was having to set foot in Connecticut.
Speaker 8: In order to get married.
Speaker 17: Really, the nupshows there in Stamford. Yes, it was last Friday night at ten thirty pm Eastern gay rights time. After a week of tense negotiations and dueling protests featuring brutal gay versus ju bullfighting, the Senate and already finally made an honest state of New York by a vote of thirty three to four, destroying society as we know it and twenty nine against.
Speaker 8: The vote was in doubt.
Speaker 6: Right up until the last minute. As of Thursday, the state Senate was deadlocked thirty one to thirty one. Marriage rights supporters had to find at least one more Republican to flip, and then upsteped Mark De Santi, state senator from Buffalo's who would run on a platform of banning gay marig Here's what he had to say, as.
Speaker 19: A CAFIC, I was raised to believe that marriage is between a man and a woman.
Speaker 6: All right, So we'll just move on from him, and maybe they'll find a vote from someone who doesn't appear to be on Elliott Ness's enemies list.
Speaker 19: I cannot leave come up with an argument against same sex marriage. Who am I to say that someone does not have the same rights that I have with my wife? Why love or they have the thirteen hundred plus rights that I share with her? I vote in the affirmative.
Speaker 8: Mister President, you know what I'm shows.
Speaker 6: I'm show impressed in honor of this man. In honor of this great man, I will no longer do my offensive Italian New Yorker voice.
Speaker 8: For his law because it's not off.
Speaker 6: And you see, it's son of a big of courage that his mother the bulls, the giant dagoons hanging off with his man.
Speaker 17: Like botching balls on a summer after.
Speaker 6: I can't. I'm sorry, it's very hard not to do the boys.
Speaker 8: It's a very fun voice.
Speaker 6: And so with support of Carassanti and his fellow Republican Stephen Salon, gay marriage pass and of course you know what that means.
Speaker 2: The city estimates the new law will bring more than one hundred and eighty million dollars to the state in the next three years.
Speaker 8: Yes, ex.
Speaker 6: Ladies and gentlemen, I also am cashing in. It's a perfect time to roll out my new John Stewart brand tuxpedos. All the elegance and finash of a tuxedo, but with the ball flattering physique.
Speaker 20: Yes.
Speaker 6: Indeed, while Friday's decision brings the total number of states permitting gay marriage and districts to seven forty one, other states still have laws on the books explicitly banning same sex marriage. It's why many gay activists are looking for federal action to achieve national marriage equality. Last Thursday, Barack Obama addressed that very question.
Speaker 21: I have long believed that the so called Defense of Marriage Act ought to be repealed.
Speaker 9: Huzza here here yay.
Speaker 6: I assume the President's problem with the Defensive Marriage Act is that should be a federal law in support of gay marriage.
Speaker 21: Part of the reason that DOMA doesn't make sense is that traditionally marriage has been decided by the states.
Speaker 6: Really, the gentleman with mixed race parents playing the states no best card.
Speaker 8: You know, when I was born, I was born. When I was born, my.
Speaker 6: Parents' marriage would have been illegal in Barden, Virginia, So different strokes. Of course, the implications of legalizing gay marriage can be hard to fully understand, unless perhaps you have a correspondent who works in musical theater. We sent our own Josh Gadd from Book of Mormon out to make sense of this landmark legislation.
Speaker 9: Legalization of gay marriage means one thing, best put by Super Bowl hero David Tyree.
Speaker 22: This will be the beginning of our country sliding toward you know, it's a strong word, but anarchy.
Speaker 9: Now everyone from Albany to Rochester will have to deal with what people here in the city have long had to accept as part of their daily lives. Leather daddies creating traffic snarls and sailors gone a wall, just like an average day in the gay community.
Speaker 8: Isn't it. Uh No, this is a very special day that we Oh yeah, tonight's bet Awards.
Speaker 17: I forgot.
Speaker 8: That's not why I worried, Archie, Sir.
Speaker 5: Sir man, I asked you a quick question. How is this not like the apocalypse?
Speaker 8: This is a parade, dude.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it reminds me a bit of that passage from Revelations And behold, I saw a pale horse and its rider was wearing a chock strap, and health followed.
Speaker 8: I don't read the it's in there page forty two. What kind of parade is in store for tomorrow?
Speaker 11: I don't think any other parades because we have Pride only once a year.
Speaker 5: You're saying, there's all for the parade, yes, But in reality, the Saint Patrick's State Parade is a very accurate portrayal of how Irish people behave every day.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't say that at all. Oh, I mean because some of the people who are out making a mess on Saint Patrick's Day aren't even Irish.
Speaker 23: Yeah, but Irish people are always getting drunk and vomiting inside subway stations. Take a good look up state, normal, respectable people like this will.
Speaker 9: Have nowhere to turn. Are you worried about the repercussions of gay marriage?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I'm one of those people.
Speaker 15: Are you gay? I'm gay.
Speaker 8: I fish with guys like you.
Speaker 13: Oh thanks, yep, we look like other people.
Speaker 8: You're not okay, that's gay. You're not gay.
Speaker 1: They're gay, and I'm gay.
Speaker 5: Really, David's David Tyne. That was David Tyree, super Bowl hero, bravely showing in face here at day Pride parade.
Speaker 17: Unbelievable.
Speaker 5: It's become clear to me now that you're not actually David Tyree.
Speaker 9: Even though I was on Broadway. Once they found out I was a breeder, the knives came out.
Speaker 8: I loved you in the Book of arm Here too bad.
Speaker 10: You didn't win.
Speaker 8: Are you from the Book of Mormon?
Speaker 13: Oh my god, you didn't beat the towny.
Speaker 9: I hope you guys have fun with yourselves. As the day were on, it became clear that no one, not even this intrepid reporter, was immune from their takeover.
Speaker 11: I think the New York is a part of the world now, and then New York is gonna still be in New York, you know, and just be a part of everything else.
Speaker 15: That's really yes.
Speaker 8: Then, how did this happen? What? Three minutes ago? I was wearing a suit.
Speaker 23: I have no idea how I even got in these Good luck Buffalo.
Speaker 3: Energy.
Speaker 24: It's Pride months, right which America has been celebrating with huge pride parades around the country from right here in New York all the way to Buford, Wyoming. Now there it was just two guys walking to CVS. But they were having a good time, so it counts as a parade. But but yesterday's Supreme Court news has dimmed the celebration because Justice Kennedy was the swing vote supporting gay rights, and there's widespread concern that Trump's next pick won't be right. It's a harsh way to end Pride Month, you know. It's kind of like ending your birthday party with a cancer doctor popping out of a cake like surprise, Happy last birthday to you.
Speaker 15: And although.
Speaker 24: You guys sound like you were at the birthday for real, And although many are worried about the future of LGBTQ rights, let's take a moment to celebrate how much progress has been made, and not just in America but around the world.
Speaker 25: Taiwan will become the first Asian nation to legalize same sex marriage history.
Speaker 12: Tonight down Under, Australia's parliament has voted to legalize gay marriage.
Speaker 18: Germany's parliament voted to legalize same sex marriage in a historic vote.
Speaker 4: Bermuda has now legalized same sex marriage for a second time. The island Supreme Court overturned a gay marriage ban that was signed in the largest four months ago. The Supreme Court first legalized same sex marriage last May. Then in February, from Ua became the first national territory in the world to repeal its gay marriage legislation.
Speaker 24: Yeah, that's right. Bermuda legalized same sex marriage twice. Yeah, and I know that seems weird, but that's just how legislation works in Bermuda. You see what happens is you past it in parliament and then it goes to the triangle where it's lost. Then a deep sea diver finds it and takes it to parliament. And it's not just marriage or quality. Around the world, LGBTQ rights were moving forward in different ways. Pakistan past transgender rights, Botswana's High Court recognized the trans woman's identity for the first time, and all of Georgia is now gay. Yeah, yeah, you don't. Even those queer eye guys do not mess around. And even though and even though the Trump administration has eroded LGBTQ rights by rolling back anti discrimination laws and banning trans people from the military, they're going to find it a lot harder to reverse the public's views on gay rights. The most recent ABC News poll found that eighty one percent of Americans said companies should not be allowed to refuse service to gaze and lesbians.
Speaker 18: Sixty seven percent now say the same sex marriages should be legal.
Speaker 8: That's the highest we've ever seen.
Speaker 18: This is one of the most remarkable changes that we have seen in our history.
Speaker 25: As the country heads toward mid term elections this fall, some history is being made. An unprecedented number of candidates who are openly lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender are running for office.
Speaker 24: That's an incredible story. It's incredible all around. Right, think of how perceptions are shifted.
Speaker 8: And it wasn't easy.
Speaker 24: Don't ever forget it wasn't easy. It took marches, it took protests, it took lawsuits and two different will and graces to get America here, but it got here all the same. So happy Pride Month everyone, We'll be right back.
Speaker 8: As you know.
Speaker 24: June is Pride Months, a time when the LGBTQ community celebrates the rights to be seen and recognized. But our corporations part of that community. Where we send Jabuki Young White to Pittsburgh to find out.
Speaker 11: Hi, I'm Jabuki young White, the Daily Show's senior Rustboll correspondent JK.
Speaker 8: I'm gay, and so is Pittsburgh.
Speaker 11: It's Pride Month and Equality March is the original Pittsburgh Pride. It has bikers, pups, pups, furries, queens, twunks, drunks, cops, bears, and fish creatures. But there's one group that not everyone is happy about a.
Speaker 6: Lot of corporations are capitalizing off pride and off LGBTQI plus like merch.
Speaker 15: I don't know if they're just making a lot of money off this.
Speaker 26: That's what the Q and LGBTQQIA stands for corporations.
Speaker 11: Okay, yeah, but surely discriminating against our pride loving corporations can't be the answer.
Speaker 8: Pittsburgh Pride Quality March is for everybody.
Speaker 19: It doesn't matter who you are, where you work, or who you love.
Speaker 11: And just so you know, we love corporations. Viacom, You're great, keep doing what you do. We're really big fans here at the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: Viacom love you.
Speaker 11: So the answer is obviously to hug these corporations. Close operations are hugging right that Google, KPMG, Eetna, Lyft, not Chick fil A. And here comes the truthlay queen. Walmart is Walmart gay.
Speaker 13: Walmart does take pride and their gay associates as a company.
Speaker 18: I don't think you can label a company with a sexual orientation.
Speaker 11: Walmart seems like a top to me.
Speaker 8: I would I would agree with that.
Speaker 26: Yeah, And I think it's amazing that so many people could come out and just live their truth as a marketable demographic for sure, and the really made it like a safe place for everybody, I think for us to yay.
Speaker 27: Yeah.
Speaker 11: One, It's like here, I am, I'm queer, I have a debit cross and gays love money bitch right right, So queer capitalism is totally chill. Actually, there is a specific issue with corporate sponsorship in Pittsburgh, and it involves the F word. No, not that fracking.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of corporations that are seemingly buying.
Speaker 11: Last year, this march was called the EQT Equality March. EQT doesn't stand for equality, it stands for are a fracking company? Do you think that it's appropriate that a franking company is a sponsor for Pittsburgh Pride law. I think that is completely inappropriate that a fracking company is a sponsor for anything. EQT doesn't just shoot hot liquid deep into holes in the ground. They also swing both ways by supporting pride and various anti gay politicians. So what are people supposed to do have a separate pride without corporate sponsors? Some say, frak Yes, this.
Speaker 19: Pride event represents the people.
Speaker 11: Non corporational pride, something that centers RTLGBTQ communities the Pittsburgh.
Speaker 26: Do you think corporations can be gay people.
Speaker 8: No, corporations cannot be gay people.
Speaker 11: The people's pride is non corporate has more color in its rainbow. And I found someone who can keep up with my moves. But are they turning their back on progress?
Speaker 26: Don't you think it's beautiful that queer people have been able to come out and live their truth as a marketable, capitalizing demographic.
Speaker 22: No, I would think it would be beautiful if those actions were genuine. They want to be a part of what's trending right now, right now, being gay as trendy. You know, pos is out and there are lots of gay celebrities.
Speaker 11: Now did you name a couple so on the top of my head right now, Big Freida.
Speaker 22: Hider's Dayshaun Wesley and Laomi Maldonado.
Speaker 11: They don't even want my brand. This is where I draw the line. There has to be some way for corporations like EQT to prove that they're really committed and not just experimenting. Like maybe they just need to show that they're really about queer subculture in like a more inventive, creative way.
Speaker 8: So I'm afraid where you're going with this.
Speaker 26: I thought that maybe this could really get across the message of what EQUT stands for.
Speaker 11: It's like drilling, but also with a.
Speaker 8: But just slow it down. Maybe that that's right.
Speaker 11: Progress takes time. Fifty years ago corporations wouldn't touch the gay community, and now they can't wait to show their love in public. And what better way to reciprocate that love than.
Speaker 1: With the EQT Very speed.
Speaker 11: Deep Cracking, Drill Deep brought to you by EQT.
Speaker 24: Let's kick it off with the Supreme Court, America's highest courts and the place Ruth Beteginsburg goes in between workouts. Yesterday, the Court heard oral arguments in a big case that could have major impacts on the workplace.
Speaker 12: The Supreme Court is back at work this week, and today it heard arguments and one of the most important cases of its new term. Does existing law protect LGBTQ employees on the job.
Speaker 18: The Justice has heard the case of Gerald Bostock, fired from a county job in Georgia after joining a gay softball league. He sued, but lower courts threw his case out. They ruled at the nineteen sixty four Civil Rights Act signed by President Johnson, which bans job discrimination on the basis of race and x, among other factors, does not cover sexual orientation. Vostok's lawyer says firing someone for being gay is discrimination based on sex.
Speaker 24: Man, this is gonna be a huge case and we're gonna have to wait to see what the court decides. But if you ask me, it's crazy that you can fire someone for being gay.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 24: I mean, like, if you're fired at work, it should only be for work reasons, like stealing or not showing up or saying you like the final episode of Game.
Speaker 8: Of Thrones, you should be fired. It's like a big deal.
Speaker 24: Also, I've always wondered this, like how do you fire someone for being gay? You can't tell who's gay, Like if people haven't come out, you don't know, you don't even know what gay is. Well, you're just gonna have bosses walking up to employees like Bob, you're fired for being gay, and he's like, I'm not gay, I'm just Southern. Like, oh, oh, I'm sorry, I got confused.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry.
Speaker 24: You realize this ruling could also affect everyone, not just gay people, right, Because by this logic, if you extend the logic, anything you do in your sex life can be grounds for losing your job, right your sexual preference, that's what they're saying. Yeah, if you want of those people who's really quiet during sex, Yeah, you could lose your job at the mall.
Speaker 8: Huh yeah.
Speaker 24: If you're into doomination and humiliating people, you could lose your job at Verizon customer service huh yeah. And if you're the type of person who doesn't believe in the female orgasm, you could use your job as Vice president of the United States.
Speaker 1: It could be really bad.
Speaker 8: You don't know.
Speaker 24: I don't want that to happen to him. But actually, I'll be honest, I'm looking forward to this decision because the people who get mad about other people having sex are always the ones who aren't getting any themselves. So we're gonna know by the way they vote who on the Supreme Court.
Speaker 15: You is Pride month or I was called in a State of Florida.
Speaker 24: Sh But while you're out there celebrating pride, don't forget that some of its biggest supporters weren't always on its side. For more, we turn to Dulce Sloan for another installment of Dulcean.
Speaker 28: Hello friends, it's June, which means this is the first month of the year where it's just hot enough outside to not be sexy. But in America, we know June also means gay bride. Mind, so I want to wish everyone abby bride, and I'm not the only one. This year, it feels like every damn company with the logo is going full rainbow. You've probably seen these ads like Burger King offering whoppers with two top buns and two bottom buns. Listen, it's still bread, and every gay band I know is not eating bread in the summer. They're doing keto and crunches until I told for But don't forget. Companies weren't always jumping on the pride flop looking like a Lisa Frank trapper keeper. When the gay rights movement first began in nineteen sixty nine, most companies were too afraid to advertise to gay people. They didn't want to offend the rest of America, especially religious conservatives. They were so uptight they thought pretzels are too sexy, all those twis Oh, it's so sinful, So companies kept their distance, except for Absolute Vodka. Absolute was one of the first big companies to market to the clear community, because those sweetes don't give a shit about the religious right. They were like, who cares if the right doesn't like us? Ah, they drink is milk. So thanks to Absolute for being a true ally.
Speaker 8: It's a good year.
Speaker 28: I didn't drink the whole day because I got a work meaning after this, and they said, I gotta be sober this time.
Speaker 29: Wow.
Speaker 28: Anyway, as gay people became more visible in society, some advertisers slowly started reaching out into the community, until the AIDS epidemic blew up that sick company's flame for the hills again. Oh no, what if the gay is looking at our edge?
Speaker 8: Does that how you get eggs?
Speaker 28: But you know what company doubled down on their advertising during the AIDS crisis? That's right, Absolute Vocal. Hmm, the second half got a kick.
Speaker 8: Damn all right?
Speaker 28: Where was I right? By the nineteen nineties, the queer community had once again fought its way into greater acceptance, so brands once again tried to dip their toes into the pool party, but they were still too nervous to jump all the way in so American advertising into the phase now known as gay they, which sounds a lot like being in a fraternity. Basically, it was companies hinting at possible homosexuality, like this Volkswagon ad where two dudes are driving in a car and then pick up this dirty ash heir off the sidewalk. So the ad leaves it open to interpretation. Are they roommates? Are they lovers? Are they roommate lovers? Because that's the worst kind of hookup. You gotta wait for them to text you back and finished up in the bathroom.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 28: A few times during this era a brand tried to make an outright gay ad, like Benetton and Nikia, and the ad completely won over the religious right and they apologized for everything. Psych one Ikea and Long Island even got a bomb threat. What is wrong with these religious fanatics? They know the furniture isn't gay, right. Plus, if there's one place that can reassemble after a bombing.
Speaker 8: It's an Ikea.
Speaker 28: Unfortunately for the religious right, but luckily for everyone else, their time was ending. Over the next two decades, Americans started to realize that gay people were just the same as everyone else, except with better ads, and as popular opinion improved, companies finally felt it was safe enough to take gay money.
Speaker 8: And this time it was major brands.
Speaker 28: Amazon started advertising the gay people Coca Cola airor commercial with two dads during the Super Bowl, and just Slid even had a big gay s which come on that was just a regular salad. At least saw some glitter in it. And that brings us to today when practically every company does Pride Month marketing. But just because every June a business acts like their auditioning for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor dream Coat, it doesn't mean their values line up with their tweets. Take AT and T for example, they love to show everyone how much they support Pride while also giving one million dollars to anti LGBTQ politicians and packs. Or how retailers like H and M are launching Pride collections with items made in countries that criminalize homosexuality, which is another reason whereing this ugly ass top should.
Speaker 8: Be a crime.
Speaker 28: And they aren't the only hypocrites donating to anti queer causes, but hey, why go through all the trouble of listing them here?
Speaker 8: I'm no hater?
Speaker 28: Oh from that one too? Okay, are we done?
Speaker 8: Let's make a mesay.
Speaker 28: The point is enjoy all those gay whoppers and paint toyotas, but don't forget what this month is about. Pride is the time to celebrate the right to love who you want and to honor the people who fought to give us that right back when no brand was on their side except for absolute m You know what, what are those gay whoppers?
Speaker 9: Sounds real good about maw.
Speaker 28: I'm dizzy.
Speaker 10: This is June, which means it's time to celebrate the holiday. Jojo Cy invented Pride Month. Pride Months started as an anti establishment protest, but over the last few decades it's gone main stream. They are parades in every city, Pizza Hut puts out gay boxes, and even Exxon changes all these oil spills to a rainbow color hashtag al. But recently the conservative backlash has been growing, and this year some Pride traditions are coming under fire.
Speaker 27: In Florida, Ron DeSantis administration has forbidden cities across the state from displaying colorful lights on their bridges during Pride Month, limiting bridge coloration to red, white, and blue. Bridges across the state that normally illuminate in colorful arrays of light to mark holidays won't be able to use any other colors.
Speaker 3: The goal of Ron's order.
Speaker 27: Is clearly to shut down any celebration of Pride month.
Speaker 10: Yo, what is up with Roddy Sanders? I mean, I can't believe a guy who rocks three inch heels is such a dick to the gay community. But by the way, by the way, red white and blue lights on crumbling infrastructure perfect metaphor for America. And it's so sad because having pride colors on bridges also prevent a lost straight people from killing themselves. Guys would be like, hey, I can't jump off this bridge.
Speaker 8: That's gay.
Speaker 10: But if you think it can't get any pettier than a ban on rainbow ridges. As a bide, Idaho saying hold my heterosexual beer.
Speaker 20: And Idaho Barr is offering a break from the pride push that's being forest on Americans by declaring June to be Heterosexual Awesomeness Month. The Old State Saloon offering deals all month long, including hetero mail Monday when any heterosexual male get this who must be dressed like a heterosexual male gets a free pint of beer.
Speaker 10: You must be dressed like a heterosexual male. So this straight bar is going to be critiquing everyone's outfits as soon as they walk in the drawna. It sounds super straight to me. What what if that actually hadn't even saying here like our bar is so straight, I will offering special deals to pack it entirely with dudes. I mean, you're basically one brick away from being stonewall. Okay, so now, I guess someone could argue that none of this stuff is explicitly anti gay, But just check out how Colorado Republicans are celebrating pride.
Speaker 14: The Colorado Republican Party is calling on people to burn all gay pride flags, proclaiming in a mass email to supporters that quote God hates pride. The Republican Party's message attack so called godless groomers, and it echoes the anti gay slur used by Westboro Baptist Church protesters.
Speaker 10: Okay, awful story, but hang on, did wait? Did Jesus have laser eyes? Was that in the Bible? I mean I knew he had powers, I didn't know he was in the X men. I don't get how anyone can be so angry about rainbow flags. I mean, it must be exhausting being that homophobic, you know, just eating a bag of Skittles like no homo, no no no, no homo no homo. So there's back last of Pride Month all around the country. And guess what some of the those corporate allies are turning out to be fair weather friends.
Speaker 16: Target says it will no longer sell its Pride Month collection in all of its stores. The decision comes after conservative groups came upset over the chain's decision to sell LGBTQ themed merchandise last June. The company says the backlash harm sales.
Speaker 10: Are you kidding me? Target stops selling gay stuff? But the logo is literally a butthole. Well, you know that's it. From now on, I will be going somewhere else to pretend to shop so I can poop in the bathroom. For more on the story, we go live to Targo. If our senior lesbian correspondent Grace Coolansmith, Right, Greg, Greg?
Speaker 11: What's her feeling at Target?
Speaker 29: It's pretty amazing. Did you know if you use the self checkout machine you don't have to pay?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Okay, I don't think that's right, but that's not what I'm talking about. How do people feel about Target banging gay merchandise?
Speaker 24: Oh?
Speaker 29: Yeah, it's so disappointing. Gay people just want equality. If Target wants to ban gay items, fine, but if they want to be equal, then they also need to ban all the straight items like golf clubs or cargo shorts are two and one shampoos?
Speaker 10: Wait, no, that's that's that's a shampoo I use I mean it saves time and my head looks great. Yes, all right, So anyway, so straight items items that straight people use.
Speaker 29: No, it's more of a vibe. Every product has a clear orientation.
Speaker 10: Every product. Okay, what about like water bottles gay cell phone cases?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 10: Okay, I think I get it. So a slotted spoon that feels gay?
Speaker 29: Slotted spoons are so straight they're serving nothing.
Speaker 10: Okay, okay.
Speaker 15: What about what about sweaters?
Speaker 1: Straight sweaters?
Speaker 10: Electrical sockets gay?
Speaker 29: Obviously they're power bottoms. Okay, about calculators, so that one's interesting. Standard calculators are straight, but graphing calculators are gay because they're doing way too much.
Speaker 10: Okay, Okay, I think I'm getting it. Print does us straight and humidify as a gay.
Speaker 3: Ronnie, don't out them.
Speaker 29: They haven't told their family yet.
Speaker 10: Okay, wait, I'm okay, I'm sorry, I don't know what.
Speaker 29: Look, Hey, that's besides the point. Okay, Pride isn't about rainbow tank tops at Target. It's a way for the queer community to remember how far we've come from the violence and discrimination we once faced. And most importantly, it's about me hooking up with my ex girlfriend's ex girlfriend and a cabin in Vermont. Let's just say that I'm the electrical socket, Okay.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 15: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount.
Speaker 27: Plus Paramount Podcasts.
Speaker 17: MHM