Speaker 1: Welcome The Money and Wealth with John Hobryant, a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeartRadio. Hey, Hey, everybody is John Hope Bryant And this is the Money in Wealth podcast series on iHeartRadio and Black Effect Network, and today is a special episode. It is the case for good capitalism and to really unpack what a lot of people are saying about capitalism and socialism and communism, wealth opportunity and why Marek keeps getting this conversation absolutely wrong. Today is one of those episodes where there's no guess. It's just me, So you're stuck with me for the next forty five minutes or so as I began to unpack something that I write about in my best selling book. Now, thanks to all of you who've made this book number one in three different categories Capitalism for All, which is inclusive economics in the future, Proofing of America Forwards. Michael Milkin ed Bashan and Andrew Young and bashor Andrew Young together to get those three people on the same page just tough. So give it a read because it just might be the equilibrium that we all seek for this very important conversation. Anyway, I think I've qualified at this moment in time to speak on this complicated conversation in a way that I think will resonate with you that you will see and feel as fair and equitable and respectful, but direct, which is my style.
Speaker 2: So let's get into this. It's just me today.
Speaker 1: I think we're living through one of the most important economic conversations of our lifetime. Actually on the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of America itself. I think it's really a referendum on who we want to be when we grow up as a country, whether we want to adhere to the Bill of Rights and the Constitution and all the things that makes this country aspirationally great, and whether we're going to be light on the heel for the rest of the world going forward as we have been, or whether we're going to fall backwards because we began to think and act small. And whether you recognize it or not, you cannot be You've never had a leader of the free world the superpower that wasn't the economic leader at the same time. That just never happened, or any phrase another way. It's always been that the superpower was also the economic power. And I write in this book Capitalism for all, how I prescribe how America can continue to be the superpower and two ordred pages of just math. To quote my friend Melody Hobson, I like math because it doesn't have an opinion. So read the book. Write a review online after you read the book. I'm not telling you what to write. Write what you feel. I think you'll find that the sixty or so reviews that are already up in the short time the book has been out are all basically just write about five star and these are people who were surprised that they liked the book. Anyway, let's get into this and let me unpack this directly with you on this podcast, and you'll tell me in the social media comments and questions whether you want me to continue this as a series or not.
Speaker 2: I also plan on doing some.
Speaker 1: Live discussions on Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn as well, so I can talk to you in real time.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I can't talk.
Speaker 1: I can't unpack that like I can unpack it here on this podcast in a structured way. So everywhere I turn these days, people are talking about what they think is capitalism and a lot of frustrations tied to it, which I actually I understand and with it. They're talking about socialism and communism and billionaires. Okay, but before I get into all that, let me lay some ground rules right up front. In the first five minutes of this podcast, a lot of my friends and people in communities I care about say I hate rich people. My response, no, you don't. You hate rich people until you become rich. What you hate is a game system. What you hate is a system that no matter how hard you work, no matter how hard you hustle, you can't seem to get ahead. That you see some half wit on television that you believe strongly is half as intelligent as you and works half as hard as you do, and they're a billionaire or a multimillionaire, and it just looks like a rigged game. And so you throw your hands up. You say, this whole thing is corrupt. The system is rigged, the system is gamed. It's a game system, and as a result, you hate it. You don't hate rich people. You hate rich people until you become rich. So let me help you ungain the system. Let me help you unrig the system by teaching you how this system works. Because we don't need less rich people, We need more of them, and we need them to include you because you will be responsible, You will be caring, You will do well and do good, You will prosper and then make sure the latter is left down for those that come but beyond behind you to lift them up too. That is the legacy of this country. Up from Nothing. That was my fifth book. I believe up from Nothing, and so I believe financial literacy is the civil rights issue with this generation. When you know better, you do better. As an old Southern saying, no matter how much I love you, my son or my daughter, if I don't have wisdom, all I can give you is my own ignorance, And so out of love, we pass down bad habits from generation to generation, out of love because of what we don't know. That we don't know that's killing us what we think we know. So let's knock it off with the bad advice. The reality is that even if you want a distribute money like a socialist, you're the first collected like a capitalist. Now think about that. You're listening to this podcast on a device that the government did not buy for you. I can say that with confidence unless you're listening to it is from some communist country and we are big all around the world, six continents, So maybe you are, but entirely it's entirely likely, and the overwhelming likelihood is you're listening to this from some place where you have some level of relative freedom, and you're engaging in free enterprise, and you are exchanging your human capital, your talents as a worker at the very least, or as a gig worker, or as a hustler, or as an uber driver or whatever, a lift driver, or as a structured employee hourly or a salaried employee. You're trading that talent, that gift for a paycheck for compensation. You are trading your human capital for money, just real talk. And you're using that money to pay your bills, to pay your car note, to pay your rent, to pay your mortgage, to pay your light bill, to pay your gas which is increasingly going up, to pay for your school fees. I mean, those kids are not being taken care of at school. I'm gonna get to this because this is actually a little bit of a socialist vibe.
Speaker 2: I'll explain that.
Speaker 1: But if you're in Africa, you're paying school fees directly to the provider in many cases, so that's like a literal transact translations transaction. That's not socialism. We have a little bit of socialism in America, actually, but every country has a little bit of socialism, sharn pack. But if you're paying somebody cut your hair, they're not cutting your hair for free. You pay somebody to take care of your your kids in daycare. They're not taking care of your your kids watching them for free. They're too bad, too much of a pain in the kazanga beans to watch them for free. That's just not there unless as your grandmother or your cousin or something that's it's not their role in life. So you're transferring the opportunity for a fee, the opportunity to take care of your kids for a fee.
Speaker 2: They're not doing it for free.
Speaker 1: So just talk like from the time you get up in the morning to the time you go to bed at night, your life is a series of financial transactions. You can't even watch or listen to this podcast without subscription fees, acquisition costs, the phone, the smartphone, the iPad, the car you're listening to, the radio, whatever it is you're consuming this with. So let's just understand that financial literacy is a civil rights issue.
Speaker 2: Of this generation.
Speaker 1: Let's understand that even the Bible talks about money more than anything else, more than two thousand references. Let's understand that the disciples of Jesus were overwhelmingly business people. Yeah you heard it right from me here.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 1: They weren't profits even though they were largely business people. They had phishing companies, they had employees, they had infrastructure.
Speaker 2: It wasn't casual.
Speaker 1: He wanted people around him who knew what they were doing, who can organize themselves. So let's get into this and stop arguing over stupid stuff. We shouldn't destroy capitalism. We should promote good capitalism, good capitalism, and get this out of the way. So good capitalism where is where I benefit and you benefit more so? Creating a comb as an entrepreneur that gets the naps out of hair all right, straightens or whatever. That comb which I manufactured for two dollars, and I retail for let's say seven dollars, which is the cost of production plus retailing marketing, administration, et cetera, plus a profit margin, and then I sell that comb for again seven eight dollars. You feel that it's worth eight dollars or ten dollars to unnap your hair. Fair change is no robbery. There's good capitalism right there, where I benefit and you benefit more. Bad capitalism of capitalism is where I benefit you pay a price for it. Drug dealing and murder and mayhem for fear and human trafficking and all kinds of crazy stuff, subprime mortgages, a lot of stuff that has done from Wall Street and Main Street can be described as bad capitalism. Or as President Bill Clinton once told me, he said, John, is hard to get someone to greet to the truth when the lie is paying their paycheck. Let's again deal with with the reality of the matter that this system is all around us, and we need to understand how to control master sorry, this system, because if it's not working, if you're not working it, it's working you. Okay, So let's not get angry, let's not get upset, let's not tear it down. Let's refine it and make it better. Because I can't help anybody broke, you can't help anybody poor. There's a difference between being broken being poor. I'm starting to preach to be broke is economic, but to be poor is the disabling frame of mind, a depressed condition of your spirit, and you must vow never ever ever to be poor again. Folks joked and laughed at me when I brought bankers into the inner city with bankers bus tours in the nineties after our founded Operation Open nineteen ninety two. In South Central LA. The nineteen nineties, even the early two thousands, we had the biggest bus tour was twelve of these chartered buses with police escorts. And I treated it like it was a Third World country at South Central LA, Washington DC, different places in Oakland where we did these tours. Because if you hang around nine broke people, you'll be the tenth. I don't care how smart you are. No one has capital, and so these communities have drug dealers and well check cashers, pay daylin lenders, rental owned stores, title lenders, liquor stores, pawnshops, drug dealers, gangsters, and you're dying at sixty one years of age because you're stressed out. Because people in a five hundred credit scord neighborhood die at sixty one years of age. Did you know that My hope financial one is index. Go to operations website, putting your zip code. I'll tell you how you live in and by the way, for every fifty point increase in your credit score, you live about another five years. So if you get to your credit score above seven hundred, you live to eighty one years of age on average. And we've z We've mapped every ZiT code out in America. Now again, think about that fifteen minutes away from the hood where we are rejecting capitalism but are completely involved in hustling, which is capitalism, but without the structure, without the incentives, without the legal nature of it, without the ability to compound. Because there's a difference between making money and building wealth. You make money during the day and income. You build wealth in your sleep. Things I keep trying to teach you stocks, investing, stocks, bonds, education, business is real estate, et cetera. And as your stress increases in these underserved communities, you have a surviving mindset surviving mindset versus a winning mindset or a builder's mindset, and winners are builders. I need you to be a builder, and a builder's mindset is optimistic. I can't guarantee the being positive it's gonna make you succeed, but I absolutely guarantee that being negative is going to ultimately make you fail, and that negativity also is going to cause you your health to fail because of thoughts are things. So you're gonna be broke, You're gonna be Frustrated're gonna be depressed and be arguing with your wife or your husband about money. You're gonna have anxiety and have a heart attack or whatever, high pertension, eating bad food. Also in these communities I love I grew up in, and you're gonna drop dead on average of sixty one but fifteen minutes away, whether a credit score is seven hundred plus two, parent households, restaurants, grassy areas, calmness, proper businesses, stress, more education, more aspiration, more ownership, you live to eighty one ninety one years of age. Don't trust me, look at the data. So let's start winning. Because with the rules of published and the plain fullers level, we kill it. Professional sports we kill it, the arts, we kill it. I'm talking about black people now, faith we kill it. Kill it means we've mastered it and scaled it. Politics from slavery to the President of the United States of America, as in President Barack Obama, who just launched his Beautiful Library with his wife Michelle in Chicago. He's a living legacies. But we live at a capitalist democracy. That's right, I said it. And if you don't believe that, look at recent elections and what's driving this whole situation. Look at what's driving the conversation right now in this country. Look who really has the power capitalists owners. Look at the name. Think about the household names here and around the world. Okay, you used to be politicians now as business people, but they don't look like us, they don't have our pedigree. I was just at a meeting last week and I was the only black male founder, entrepreneurs, CEO chairman up from nothing, formerly homeless, you know, from the hood, in the whole group. Not because they don't want us there. They invited me, but there's a bunch of billionaires, multi millionaire CEOs, et cetera. But we're just not sign up for this movement at scale with the tools needed to sit at the table. And I want to expand the table and add a chair. That's why I'm trying to teach you how this game works. Because Forbes just made me a Forbes two fifty with one of the Forbes two hundred fifty greatest living self made Americans. So they say, on the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of American Oprah Winfrey, who I can say now is a friend and she's amazing, is number one on that list. And number one of the greatest histori list of self made Americans is President Abraham Lincoln. So what a trajectory from Abraham Lincoln to Oprah Winfrey. And if she can do it, you can do it. If I can do it, you can do it too. Legally. And it's about it's not about networth, it's about distance travel, right, it's the arc, and it's proof of concept that this stuff works. My success, Oprah success, all the other people on that list success is proof that this works and it could work for you. And my book is a roadmap capitalism for all. So let's talk about this. Socialism, communism, billionaires, taxes, wealth, inequality, the rich, the poor.
Speaker 2: Everybody seems to have an opinion.
Speaker 1: Very few people define the words they're using today. We're going to define all of this and unpack it for you. Because we want to only argue about the solutions. We ought to just understand the problem. We shouldn't be admiring the problem or debating stupid stuff, and I believe America is actually getting this conversation wrong. So let's first talk about why people are so angry?
Speaker 2: Right, let me.
Speaker 1: Just say, right off the bat as I tell my wealthy and rich, my rich and my wealthy and uber wealthy friends, including billionaires, when they ask me why this movement of people talking about socialism and why people so angry at me them, I tell them that folks have a right to be angry, a right to be frustrated. The system has not worked for them, and capitalism and capitalists have done a crappy job of marketing itself and its virtues to the least of these God's children, a crappy job of making sure that the ladder of opportunity reaches the bottom and people can climb up with their own effort.
Speaker 2: At the top.
Speaker 1: People I know who are from the hood and the hood adjacent, who want success, believing the James Brown version of affirmative action, open the door. I'll get it myself. They're not asking for handouts, they're asking for a hand up. But you can't boots your up yourself without shoelaces. So I tell my friends, you know, you guys got to do a better job of doing something other than celebrating yourself, and how great this is supposed to great. The system is, we got a K shaped economy and somebody just told me they might have turned it might have turned into an E shaped economy. In other words, the E shaped economy is worse because there's these like these ledges that don't go anywhere. The kse shaped economy, Lisa is an angle that you might be able to rocket up, but it should be a V shaped economy, where V means victory at some point. So people are rightly so frustrated inflations through the roof. You might, by the way, understand inflation came from COVID because it's never been a response by the government to anything in the history of the world before COVID with the T in front of it, as in trillion. Never It's been hundreds of millions and billions, the global economic crisis of two thousand and the mortg crisis of two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine. But this was billions, and it wasn't one billion, it was two, it wasn't two, three, four five billion. Congress did all up. You're talking about six seven eight billion, a billion and a half of that was probably too much. But no, there was no manual you put off the shelf that said here's how you solve COVID or some global economic not economic crisis, how how you respond to a pandemic. The last pandemic we had was a Spanish flu in the world. It was one hundred and twenty five plus years ago. There was no manuals and it was on manual now. So the whole economy just seized up. It was like it was like, we forget this more. We're so traumatized, we don't want to remember it. But that's where the inflation came from. Because the government poured all this money over the free that freezed up gears, the locked up gears of the economy from big companies all the way down to your house. When they send you a check for a couple thousand dollars, remember that, Well, that has to be paid back people. It has to be flushed to the system that causes inflation. You can bind that, and I mean, I'm a surprise, frankly, I'm surprised inflation is not more like seven eight percent given what we went through. And that just shows how dynamic this economy is. And how amazing we are that we recover from that. But people just forget. They want to blame it on a president or something and come on, knock it off. That was bipartisan stimulus money. Both Republicans and Democrat gave that money during the pandemic, and presidents from both parties contributed to this whole situation. It's just with an unfortunate situation with no good answer. I understand the concerns. I understand that people got too much month at the end of their money and they're using credit cards to get buy with their standard of living. I understand the student loans are driving them crazy. I understand you can't you can't buy a house. The interest rates are too high because the interest rates are high because the Federal Reserve is trying to stamp out inflation. So you cannot have low interest rates without risking high inflation. So they're trying to get the interest rates the Federal Reserve. But you cannot have low interest rates without triggering high inflation. You cannot have higher interest rates without dampening economic activity and making things expensive. So buying a house is expensive. Buying anything is expensive these days, and it has an interest rate attached to it right, and then now you've got oil is through the roof. So I mean people are really frustrated. Whatever they turn you, affordable housing ain't affordable. And I say, a on a purpose. And so wherever you turn, you've got too much month at the end of your money and you're just not a happy camper, and you want somebody to cut you a break. Do you want somebody to solve an actual problem in your life? So millions of Americans feel left behind. I get it. Young people wonder if they can ever own a home in California. They're building what they call in Hawaii, ohannas, I think, but they're building residences above the garage.
Speaker 2: And the.
Speaker 1: Chief of Sabrachel told me, because she lives there still, that they're getting city, county, state government permits to build a living unit over the garage so that the kids can stay there, the seniors, the mothers and fathers can stay there. I think it's actually a pretty innovative idea. And I love how entrepreneurs and creative thinking and solve problems. I love how crisis requires us to think outside the box. And the housing crisis required California to come up with this cool idea, probably borrowed from my friends in Hawaii. Anyway, minions of Americans just don't know if they can ever young people, if they're gonna have ever own a home. That's the number one you build wealth in America's home ownership families working two jobs right. Healthcare is expensive, Inflation hurts, college debt just lingers like a noose around your neck. Many people feel the system isn't working for them. So here's the important point. Those feelings, as I said, are real. People aren't stupid, they're frustrated. But frustration does and automatically produce wisdom. Wisdom comes from experiences and time. So we need you to get your stripes and your achievements and your your wounds is where your wisdom comes from, and your stripes, your activities, your actions is where your achievement comes from. And that's how you ultimately know in your gut, your intuition, what is the right thing to do going forward. Is experience in life. So pain can make us blame the wrong thing. But rainbows only follow us storms. You cannot have a rainbow without a storm first. But that's where we are today. Okay, So now let's define the terms of where we are. So like economics one on one, So get out a pencil or pen or or your smartphone or whatever. Start writing this down. Let me talk about capitalism real quickly. I'm giving you these are all crib notes because you can be not because because you can go in my book Capitalism for All. I've got the definitions of all these things in the book. Just go to the book as a reference as not. Somebody told me it's not to read the book. It's a work book, it's an underlining book, is a review books, a study book. So let's talk about again crib notes here, just the high points as you're listening to this podcast, going to work or jogging or working out whatever you want to get smart.
Speaker 2: Quick and then go deep later.
Speaker 1: Capitalism, private ownership, private investment, private enterprise, competition, innovation, risk, reward for that risk. Here's some examples of what capitalism has produced up from nothing Apple, I mean, I describe it in the book Steve Jobs. He was the son of a Jordanian Middle Easian immigrant, so they put the kid up to adoption to a wealthy family. Anyway, that family bounced out of the adoption of the last minute, and the backup family that adopted Steve Jobs was a Jobs family that was a white couple, engineer, a couple out of Silicon Valley. So Steve Jobs shows up as the adopted kit and he walks around the neighborhood and he runs into another kid named Wolsnack, Steve Wozniack, who's a genius coder. Steve Jobs was an okay coder. He's really more of a designer marketer. He's really braiding in his own way made technology cool. But it was Wolseniac who really wired at the back end anyway. Together in the garage, they created what we now know is a trade dollar company, multi tree dollar company called Apple, and it's changed all of our lives. Apple, Microsoft, Google, FedEx, Amazon, Tesla. Even though I've got real problems with that company and it's founder of anyway, I got to give credit what credit is due.
Speaker 2: There is brilliance there.
Speaker 1: All the black businesses and brands that don't get enough credit, Black Enterprise Magazine, Johnson Products. Off the top of my head, what Robert Smith is doing now, I mean, just what Oprah has created, Just Tyler Perry and Tyler Perry Studios, all these industries, all these places, jay Z and his wife Beyonce, et cetera. Millions of small businesses, because most millionaires is literally the person next door. It's a boring business. By the way, did you know that it's about I think it's twenty four hundred or twenty five hundred millionaires minted every day last year, every day in the world, and half of those in the US twelve hundred new millionaires a day. And that weren't doing fancy stuff, and they weren't doing illegal stuff. These are legal entrepreneurs. They were doing normal stuff and doing well and doing good. Capitalism mostly and again, you can't even be a philanthropist. You can't give it away unless you collected first. But here's what it also came out of capitalism. Good capitalism, new medicines, new technologies, new jobs, new wealth. Capitalism is not perfect, okay. Unchecked capitalism creates monopolies not good, cronyism not good, greed not good, abuse horrible, not good, Excessive concentrations not good. That's not good capitalism. That's bad capitalism. And I've already said capitalism where I benefit, you benefit more. Bad capitalism is where I benefit and you pay a price for it. The answer is an abandoning capitalism. The answer is improving it. Let me tell you what capitalism is, right, capitalism. Let's just say it's a table in front of you. Now, okay, let's talk about negotiation. On one side of that table is a capitalist and the other side of the table is a consumer. Let's make you the capitalist for the moment. Just to make this very provocative, Let's as soon that you're selling a new comb, you create it to somebody who wants to straighten their hair or comb their hair on the other side. So, your job in this example, as the capitalist, mister and missus capitalists listening to this, your job is to extract as much price, resources money from the consumer as you can while delivering the least amount of acceptable value for quality product as you can, just to maximize your profit. Now, the consumer on the other side, the consumer's job is to pay the least that they can possibly negotiate to that capitalist for that product, while extracting as much as they possibly can in value from that product and from that capitalist as they possibly can. And every good negotiation at that table is when everybody leaves that table slightly annoyed because nobody got actually everything they wanted.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: I've just explained capitalism and negotiation and I don't know two minutes. Now, make that go viral. Let's now deal with socialism. It's government ownership or heavy control of large portions of the economy. Government ownership or heavy controls of large or substantial parts of the economy. It's still capitalism, by the way, in the Nordic countries like Norway and Sweden. Sweden has got timber and technology, by the way, Finland has got technologies. Norway when my brother the crown Prince is my brother friend of the mother, it has oil and again other things. But these are foundational things which make money. Now the question is whether they're going to do with the money. So now that talks about the taxing system in these countries, there's heavy taxes. Taxes in these places tend to be higher, Registribution plays a larger role, government services tend to be larger. Right, But keep in mind, yes, there's no body at the bottom in this example, nobody who looks like you at the bottom. But I would argue if you're black or brown, by the way, or women or anybody left behind in society or feel like you left behind. You will find in these places there's nobody who looks like you. Nobody meaning a large portion of people or even many who look like you at the top. So you don't get you're not at the bottom. I mean that falls in the cracks. But you're not making it to the top either. You are being subsidized, chilling in the midst You know, you're just getting by, right, not bad, But that's what that is. So America already has its socialist features. Okay, social security is a part of socialism, or is an aspect of socialism. Medicare okay, medicaid, public education, police, fire departments, roads, the military. You aren't paying for these things. The government's providing it. These are public goods, public goods, the public good. Having public goods does not make America socialists, right, But there are social aspects to this. There are social safety net which I think actually helps to make this country great. You shouldn't fall through the cracks. You shouldn't die because of health or poverty of the mouth of food or you know, you should everybody should have reasonable But I do like the fact that you can go from the bottom to the top, just like me.
Speaker 2: In America, and you couldn't.
Speaker 1: I could not be My experiment of me could not have been proven out anywhere else in the world. Think about that, John O'Brien would not have emerged from Germany or Japan, or Russia or China, France, all these different places, even though France is where the world entrepreneur comes from. So this now deal with communism and communism. The government owns virtually everything, controls everything, controls your movements. Little private ownership, and if it is, it's micromanaged and can be snatched from you in a moment's notice. No freedom whatsoever about the government. The people entrepreneurs in China who just want to say the wrong thing in one day, they just disappear, like the wealthy is most powerful people in China just disappear. That's not good in my opinion. So it's little private ownership, little entrepreneurship, at least not in the traditional sense. Government decides production, government decides prices. History has shown repeatedly that this suppression and this suppressed innovation and economic freedom does not work. In fact, some of the worst tragedies in the world history have been socialist countries. Don't trust me to do research, use that smartphone to be smart, use AI to study the things I'm telling you. The track record of countries that have pursued socialism has been absolutely tragic. Communism even worse. In fact, the countries that say they're communists today Russia and China are China and Russia, as two examples, are really pursuing capitalism, but saying that they're pursuing communism. I think about that. America was never pure capitalism. This is where the nuance is important, and America has always been a mixed economy like markets and rules, competition, consumer protection, social safety nets, property rights, patent protections, infrastructure, roads and streets, and all that stuff. Bank regulation, securities regulation, isn't a wall street. The genius wasn't government. The genius wasn't markets. The genius was balanced and unleashing untapped human potential of her people us, which is what I'm all about today. My website Brian grid Ventures, I encourage you to go there and read my Brian Journal pieces that I write every week and sign up for the difference services and programs of all my companies and organizations, including Operation Hope.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: But if you go there, it says in the right of the homepage. Unleashing untapped human potential at scale. So, now let's deal with the difference between good capitalism and bad capitalism and begin to wrap this episode up. And then I'll I'll go deeper if you want me to. Right, But there's probably enough for this. But this is the heart of this episode.
Speaker 2: Right. I don't defend every form of capitalism. I do not.
Speaker 1: I defend good capitalism. I have compassion for those who are frustrated. I want to be an engine for those who want to create wealth and opportunity for themselves through good capitalism. It's not a depression of the bad. It's a celebration of the untapped good. It's not like we got the memo and screwed it up. We just never got the memo. That's my fourth book. I think I have seven books out. So good capitalism creates opportunity. Bad capitalism protects insiders. Good capitalism encourages competition. Bad capitalism rewards monopolies. Good capitalism grows entrepreneurs. Bad capitalism eliminates competition. Good capitalism expands ownership. Bad capitalism concentrates ownership. Your head should be nodding as you're listening to this. It should be like, it's like an un it's just an unforced agreement. Like, yeah, this makes sense because it's common sense, but commonism is not so common. Good capitalism rewards innovation. Bad capitalism rewards political connections.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Good capitalism builds communities. Bad capitalism extracts from communities. Here's a philosophy. This is what I've spent my entire life building. It's called inclusive economics and good capitalism through capitalism for all and all the eneities. I've created to stand it up so that we can say PhDs are good, PhDs are better. Let's actually and they let you know, five billion dollars with a capital be deployed to set people's dreams free and create opportunity for them. This is not redist distributing wealth. That I'm doing is creating more wealth creators, not attacking success, expanding what success looks like. So let's stop hating on wealth and start creating some. I am not anti rich, I'm anti poverty. I'll say it again, I am not anti rich, I am anti poverty.
Speaker 2: What about you? These are two different things entirely. America doesn't need fewer successful people. The world doesn't.
Speaker 1: America in the world needs millions and millions of more successful people. These twelve hundred millionaires a day need to look like us. Can I get an amen? Especially the people who never thought success was possible for them? That's who I want to win. This is where the civil rights movement comes in. The third reconstruction, Economic empowerment, financial literacy, the unfinished work of doctor martinther King Junior and my mentor Andrew Young, access to good credit, entrepreneurship, home ownership, investment, AI education, small business, employee ownership, stakeholder capitalism. I call it Delta Airlines and divisions of KKR and Apollo. There are great examples of this stakeholder capitalism model at work. This is how we reduce inequality people. We get on with building more ownership. This is an ownership generation in my opinion, or it could be so. Driving wealth away hurts everybody, so let me just deal with this. We need to avoid the politics, the partisan politics that doesn't solve anything.
Speaker 2: We need to.
Speaker 1: Educate ourselves and how economics really works, and educate people so they can help themselves help themselves. When entrepreneurs leave a city or a state who wants to penalize them, tax them hunt them, humiliate them, hurt them, point fingers at them. When that happens, they leave. And I've been talking to billionaires and multi millionaires the last few weeks. We're leaving out of a couple of states in particular. That's not good. When they leave, economic energy leaves, investment, leaves jobs, leave innovation and creativity that they fund it or could fund, leaves charitable giving in the local communities leave, leadership, leaves headquarters of companies, leave, opportunities leave, communities begin to die. Every governor, every mayor, every governor, every business leader, she asks this question, how do we attract more investment, not how do.
Speaker 2: We punish investment.
Speaker 1: I'm involved in a big investment here in Atlanta, Centennial Yards. I'm gonna investor in it. It's the biggest investment in Atlanta since Atlanta. It was a debate here. Luckily we came on the right side of it. It's six billion dollars, the biggest investment in Atlanta since Atlanta itself. And it's going to create jobs from the bottom of the top. It's going to create opportunity, affordable housing, economic vitality. It's going to create a downtown which Atlanta doesn't have it's win win. The city wins, the state wins, the county wins thirty percent of all contracts. And to those at the bottom of the economic pyramid, they win.
Speaker 2: Again. Affordable housing is going to come in hopefully. I'm going to be part of that. You know what.
Speaker 1: To me, it's a rational movement of common sense. So this is the third reconstruction people, and this ties back to the book Capitalism for All. America has already experienced great reconstructions. Second, the first one was about freedom civil War. Second one was about access civil rights movement. That's the nineteen sixties. My mentor, Ambassador Andrew Young and his dear friend, doctor Martha King Jr. And doctor Dorothy Heyde and all the heroes and heroes who made that fight right. They had the NAACP, they head of the Urban League, etc. The next reconstruction is economics. It's ownership in nature, financial literacy, credit ownership, entrepreneurship, artificial intelligence, technology, when capital is code real financial capital. This is the new civil rights movement. I call it the silver rights movement. From civil rights to civil rights, from the streets to the suites, not because graces no longer matter, but because money touches everyone. Color is not white or black, or red or blue. It's green. It's always been green. So here's America I believe in. My dream isn't in America with fewer rich people. It's in America with dramatically fewer poor people. Can I get an amen? My dream isn't redistribution, it's expansion. It's deepening. My dream isn't resentment, it's aspiration. My dream isn't the storm, it's the rainbow that follows storms. You cannot have a rainbow without a storm first. My dream isn't dependency, it's dignity through ownership. My dream isn't to tear down success, it's to multiply it.
Speaker 2: At scale.
Speaker 1: That's why I wrote Capitalism for All, not capitalism for Wall Street, not capitalism for Olive Guards, or capitalism for Silicon Valley. Not capitalism for the privilege, Capitalism for all, Capitalism for you. If you're listening today, don't ask yourself who should I blame? That's the wrong question. Ask yourself, what can I build? What skill can I learn? What business can I start? What investment can I make starting with the one in yourself? What young person can I mentor what wealth can I create? How do I bless someone else that I'm blessed too? Because service is the price we pay for the success that we get. Wealth isn't just about money, It's about freedom. What are you going to do with your freedom? Just help you or help somebody else too. That's what I try to do. To do well and do good, to do well by doing good. Opportunity, dignity, legacy, and that that's the case. That's the case I'm making for good capitalism. I want to thank you for joining me for this week's episode of Money and Wealth. This conversation challenged you, inspired you, hopefully, changed you, moved you. Share it with someone you care about. And get the book Capitalism for All and talk about it as you read it. And remember, financial literacy is not about getting rich. It's about becoming free through literacy and understanding of how this game works. Until next time, I want you to keep learning, keep growing, returning, keep building, keep moving, and lead from the front. And I want you to read this last book, which I think is my best one, Capitalism for All, and I want you to read it once and put it down. I want you to read it once twice three times four times. Listen gen on audiobook that we have to underline it, underscore it, dog ear it, talk about it, create conversations and barbershops and beauty salons and sororities and fraternities. Let's start a movement that change the world. Let's be the light on the hill. I'm John O'Brien and this is Money and Wealth. Money and Wealth with John O'Brien is a production of the Black Effect Podcast Network. For more podcasts from the Black Effect Podcast Network, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.