Speaker 1: Command Is Family.
Speaker 2: This is the Next Man Up Podcast, and we have special guests for you.
Speaker 1: We have Kwan Martin.
Speaker 2: We have to go back a little bit to Arizona where me and Kwan Martin caught up before the world trip handed. Then we have a true legend Hall of Famer first Ballot Hall of Famer Champ Bailey joins the show to talk about his time in Washington and our happy year is to be back in the fall. Then we got to get some national love. Hey Adams joins the show to talk about the thing she's seen from the Washington Commanders. All that starts now on Next Man Up.
Speaker 3: What's good? Command Is Family. This is Next Man Up.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Blind Cope Junior here with somebody extremely special, Kwan Martin, my brother.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It's good to see you.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you man.
Speaker 3: I think last time we sat down like this, you.
Speaker 2: K like ota yeah, man, like yeah, like ten months ago type stuff, like you you are really your rookie and like things have changed for you.
Speaker 3: Tell us what has changed for you in year two since that last time we spoke.
Speaker 5: Really man, Just being able to learn, grow, develop, you know, just kind of find my way in the league. And uh, you know, just get in while I fit there pretty much, man, and just really just building that name, making that name for myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you really fit in well.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: You know you're getting a lot of love. You were named the captain for Arizona. What does that mean to you? Were you surprised?
Speaker 5: I don't know, because I was captain during the preseason and I kind of felt the coming. And today in the meeting, he was like, I got a captain. I was like, damn, I gotta feel that he might call me. I kind of felt the coming a little bit, so you know, it was great man, just to you know, hear my name come up, see my you know picture up on the board, and coach just telling me, you know that I'm counting for this game.
Speaker 3: That means a lot, you know this stuff.
Speaker 5: I talk about my family all the time, man, just you know, just trying to set an example for everybody, uh, you know, back where I'm from, kids in my neighborhood. Man, just you know, showing me that you can do it. You know it is possible. And man, you know, it's just a great opportunity to go out there and representing this program.
Speaker 2: And you even played since you were five years old, man, So to have that seat on your jersey, Man, what does that mean to you?
Speaker 5: I mean it means a lot.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 5: My first time really just being the captain and since I've been playing, man, so it's been great.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Never had the opportunity in college to.
Speaker 5: Be, you know, captain on the team. So just to be a captain at this level just you know, kind of speak to herself.
Speaker 3: I think what's so special about that is this is a new coaching staff. This is not a coaching.
Speaker 2: Staff that drafted you. They didn't keep a lot of people around, but you not only was kept, but you also were named the starter. What is it like to get that kind of respect before you even played a regular season game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Man, it means a lot.
Speaker 5: You know. Obviously we talked with you know, coach Quinn and Adam Peters, you know, before things kind of got rolling, and you know, he just kind of told me where my role could be on this team. Man.
Speaker 3: I embraced it.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: I just went out work hard, put my head down and just kept grinding. Man, and you know just kind of you know, made it impossible to go and noticed. I feel like that's what I've always done my whole.
Speaker 2: Career, and I'm sure that there's different expectations that come with happening in your coaching staff. And I remember you saying preseason that the coaches want you to be more vocal. How's that been so far? Because you're very chi.
Speaker 3: Man, it's been great.
Speaker 5: I feel like not even just coach Quinn, but really just everybody in the building just you know, pushing me to be more vocal. Bobby Wagner, you know, everybody just standing on me, man when they know that time they couldn't really hear me on the field. So Coach Quinn always said like would you want to be led by you? So you know, like when he say that, I'm like okay, like like let me make sure I'm getting the calls out everybody can hear him, and I just show my leadership on the field.
Speaker 2: You told me last time we sat and spoke, you said that will motivate you as being overlooked, you were under recruited even playing your whole life right even.
Speaker 3: The second round pick.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm sure you feel like you're supposed to go on the first So what motivates you now? Because now you're getting recognition now you're getting in love now. People are really starting to see who you are. So what motivates you now?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: Just this team, the guys around me, and uh, just not want to let the team down, man, And uh, just trying to put my best feel forward. And you know, just knowing that these coaches believe in me and my teammates believe in me, and uh, you know, I'm just gonna go out and get him my best every play, every down, every game. And I feel like it shows.
Speaker 2: You've got a new rerunnament in Jeremy Chin. And I'm sure you hadn't seen it, but I spoke to him.
Speaker 3: And we had a moment. It was very weird.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lost wars off the but Jeremy Chin is like, I'm pissed off and he's got real, real angry Like playing next to a guy like that that really like he locks in when.
Speaker 3: He's on that field.
Speaker 5: Man, he's been you know, somebody I've looked up to since day one. Man, Just you know how he carris yourself in the building, how he handles itself on the practice field. So they're just kind of taking a little things for him, and he don't really even know, but you know, I'm peeping you know everything he's doing. You know how he handled every situation.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: So I've really learned a lot from that dude. And you know, he's just been that voice for me, that you're for me, that leader, and you know, you've just been pushing me to communicate more, like I said, And it's been great man to play alongside him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had an event where it was me, you and Jeremy Channing.
Speaker 2: During that event, you said something I thought was very interesting because it didn't really dawn on me.
Speaker 3: But this is really your first time getting to focus on one position. You said.
Speaker 2: You're like, man, this is my first time not having to be all overfield. Man, why why is that so important to you this season? And why has it been so beneficial for.
Speaker 5: I Just feel like, you know, it allowed me to reach my full potential. You know, I can do it but just float around everywhere, man, I feel like it's kind of hard to really just lock in on the small details at each and every position. But yeah, man, it's just been special for me. And I talked to my mom, my parents, my girlfriend, every everybody about you know, just the focus that comes with you know, playing a position, and the coaches, like I said, they just pushed me to be more vocal, be that leader and just be that voice on this defensive.
Speaker 3: And you've been so special this year.
Speaker 2: Man, I can't wait to see what you do Sunday against the the Browns. We'll be back home again. It'll be your first time back home. We've been on a little road trip. The fans have showed up and showed out for us. Man on this road, we've seen them so much. And then at the home game, it was crazy, Man, How excited you to see those fans again after being.
Speaker 3: On the road for so long.
Speaker 5: Man, Super excited, Man, just to go in and play another home game.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: I like the fans. They've they've been, you know, pretty excited, you know with everything going on in the building with the program and uh, you know, I just fly. You know, it's time for us to take that next step and uh just get a fans what they want to see.
Speaker 3: And Kwama has been great seeing you developed.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Man can't wait to see you out on that field. Brother, appreciate your time, Appreciate.
Speaker 2: You now command this family. Have to bring in a very special friend of mine. She pulled up for training camp and saw all the great things we were doing out here, and it's continued to show the Burgundy and Gold a lot of national love. Now Command is family. It's not always the next man up. Sometimes it's the next woman. For the first time, we have a woman on the show, so we're gonna call it next Woman.
Speaker 1: It up.
Speaker 2: She is from national media. She has a big time show. Welcoming in Kay Adams. How are you doing.
Speaker 7: I'm so great, next woman, I'd like to do this.
Speaker 3: Yes, we love it.
Speaker 2: We love and talk about we'd like to talk about, you know, our past, what got us here. And just like me, we don't end up in our seats, right, We don't end up doing what we do unless we love the game of football. So you tell me when did you find your love for football?
Speaker 7: Oh man?
Speaker 8: I started to love football growing up in Chicago. I was raised by two Polish immigrants who'd never heard of football, and the Bears were very good or competitive, and me and my brother just wanted to figure out what's like the most American communal, bring everybody together thing everybody's talking about. We of course had the bulls at that point with Michael Jordan, but still football was huge in Chicago, so you know, we had Matt Forte and we had Devin Hester to root for as I was growing up, and then.
Speaker 7: I really liked fantasy football. If you were really.
Speaker 8: Asking me, like, at what point was I like, I love this. It's the fact that I'm really competitive. So and I got in my first year drafted my team, didn't really know the players very well, learned about them. I won my league the first year I played. But I think, like I'm trying to think of who it was. Matt Fourte was definitely on my team, and at that point it was you have this wealth of knowledge about thirty two teams and all these different players, not just the fifty three in your hometown. And I love that and the competitive nature of it. And I think that just the storylines of it and getting my heart broken watching the Bears and to the cults after that Devin Hester trutch down like that sort of is where it.
Speaker 7: Snapped my heart.
Speaker 8: But similarly to you, you know what you're saying, you have to love the game. I love celebrating the game. I love that I'm still at this point curious about absolutely everything, every team, every storyline, and that's really what's driven me to keep loving it as much as I do.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure that's what keeps you so interesting when you do these interviews, when you talk because you have you know, you're inquisitive, you want to know things, and we see some great stuff. And you actually were here during training camp. You had the chance to go to every think like twelve or fourteen like spots.
Speaker 3: How many thank you?
Speaker 6: Twenty?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, twenty different training camps and you came to kick it with us. It was so hot, it was just the day. What you got to see what a lot of people are seeing now. You got to see Jaden Daniels and company and see what they could do. When you were back here in training camp, did you really like see what was going to be happening? Did you have a feeling that hey, commanders a brot to do something special.
Speaker 8: I thought he was how he looked out there, and I liked his and that's what I still like now. I just liked his composure. I liked how he was carrying himself out there. But I will say my big take of meeting you and you brought a lot of energy to our life on up and atoms in that trip.
Speaker 7: But it was so hot.
Speaker 8: I remember, we were so well taken care of by the commanders. My takeaway was, oh, man, they don't want me to blow up their spot.
Speaker 7: My thought was.
Speaker 8: And I sat with Dan Quinn for twenty minutes, and I sat with pain and I, you know, got to ha you know, the no part of Johan Dutson and every Bobby Wagner who I've known for.
Speaker 7: Years and years and years.
Speaker 8: The sort of takeaway was like, don't like, don't talk about us. You know, at that point Dkey was unwilling to name Jaden the starter, and I was like, oh, no, is that a bad thing?
Speaker 7: Is that a good thing?
Speaker 8: But it was all a really thoughtful, methodical way of carrying out this vision that they've all had. And I really took away this kid is special and they don't want anybody to know about it until week one. Of course, you sawated in college and we know that he's a special player, but he's sort of a one on one player as well, So I knew. I knew it was a secret they were trying to keep a lid on.
Speaker 7: That's what I know.
Speaker 6: Okay, we appreciation you keeping that secret for us. But now that the speakers down now we know what we have in jayde Dane's real quickly. So you talked to dan Quinn that I'll talk to a lot of cultures during your tour. What about dan Quinn stood out to you?
Speaker 8: I think he never gets enough credit for what a transcendent leader he is. And it's not always superstars. He's somebody whether you have a that you know, he's somebody that you know. Aaron Rodgers, I think he could coach him, while I think you can coach you. I'm rookie like Jayden Daniels and everything in between, and not every coach is like that.
Speaker 7: He is so thoughtful.
Speaker 8: I believe that would be a word that I would use to describe him. As far as a leadership style, I think he's very organized and mindful about what he wants to execute, what Jaden needs, what these veterans need in the messaging. He's always been like that back even when I knew him with the Falcons. It was about mottos, it was about buying in. It's about toughness, high energy, and that's the kind of coaching that's really working in the NFL right now.
Speaker 7: He had so much success.
Speaker 8: Of course, Matt Ryan MVP ye or MVP candidate, and now we see what he's doing with Jaden and as special as Jayden is, we have to give Dann credit for that.
Speaker 2: And I love talking to people like you. Go are outside, right, you're in the national media, so you're not here. I'm drinking the kool aid every day. So me, I'm going to be feeling good. I'm going to be feeling like we're going to be winning every single game because that's my job to do that.
Speaker 6: But you you're in the national media on the outside.
Speaker 2: So you tell me at three and one, right now, how do you feel about the lost Commander is always for real?
Speaker 8: Oh, you know, it's so funny because you're on the inside. But I'm friends with Kevin Durant. Now you know over on FanDuel he is the biggest Commander's fan. I will say it's a very interesting experience to have. Sometimes, you know, teams really buy into their hype. Sometimes fans enjoy it, which is actually really rare. And then sometimes fans are really demanding and the Bears are like that, you know, like they're not giving Caleb much patience.
Speaker 7: Much of that.
Speaker 8: Commanders are different. I think it's a fan base that's waited for it so long. On the outside is very fun to see guys like Kevin Durant or some fans, some celebrity fans, Guys that I've known for a long time, Women that I've known for a long time who have never told me that their Commanders fans are like, thanks for saying that about my Commanders, and I'm like, you're Commanders, and they're like, no lifelong fan, but for whatever reason, I don't even know about it. So there's certainly this excitement that I'm feeling known when it comes to ball. Absolutely they should be considered a contender on up and atoms today and talking about where DeVante Adams should go. So I had a list of contenders, and among those kind of boys, sorry, and among the Jets and the reuniting with you know, Aaron Rodgers, I put the Commanders because that's a team that has the space, the need. They were interested in Brandon Nayuk and what I'm saying more about the holistic big part of it is that's a team that I would love to make that move because it shows you just how all in they are for this year.
Speaker 2: And I love that because we know you're a Devonte Adams for it, right. We know that you guys are good, so I'm hoping they're giving him a little bit of extra Like, hey man, you know, Burning and Gold ain't too bad. You know, maybe we talked to the ages that make that happen, but you just were part of this Davante Adams debacle right now.
Speaker 6: We don't want to speculate on where he will go.
Speaker 2: However, I find it very I admire it because I understand what it's like, right, having these personal relationship with players, but then having to do our jobs as well.
Speaker 3: How tough is it.
Speaker 2: Knowing that, like y'all would have a regular conversation about this and this and that, but then having to do your job in a way where you can't really spill the beans on what a player like that's going to do. But you guys have a relationship where you probably kind of know where.
Speaker 3: His heads really is.
Speaker 8: I'm just as curious as everybody else to see what happened.
Speaker 7: I said it on my show this morning.
Speaker 8: I think I want I know that I want him to be happy, and I want him to be playing meaningful football, and I want him to get a ring.
Speaker 7: I think he deserves it. I think it'd be so nice if he made.
Speaker 8: The move to secure the bag and be with his old quarterback and it didn't work out, and now the move gets made where he does get to contend on the team. I think last week I asked him about Jayden Daniels before a lot of this was going on, and he was emphatic. He went so far as to say, and I do think DeVante Adams a very easy interview, very honest, very he doesn't think about it, He's already thought about the question. He sort of knows the line of questioning in his head. And he's a true adult, like a true adult in the way he carries himself and always has. So it's a very easy interview because sometimes you worry about how a question is going to be taken, or how to ask a question in a way that's going to be respectful, or to get the information you want, where I don't really have that with Davante. I really can ask him anything and I know he'll understand what I'm he'll say what he's going to say, which he has this entire time. But I asked him about Jaden and I was a little surprised. I didn't think I'd get as emphatic of a response where he said man, I thought, well, you know, I think he's sort of joking saying, man, I you know if he'd fallen to us, if only he had fallen to the Raiders, and you know, the Internet had their way with that. But really what he's saying is, I'm seeing how special this young player is that me at my age I would love to play with him. I see his skills like Evets don't give Brookies love like that. They just don't. So that's all you needed to hear from a guy like Adam's on this. But as far as where he's going to go, wouldn't that be wild to have him there?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 8: Absolutely wild. I can't even imagine what that city would be like.
Speaker 2: It would make my job a lot more. You tell you about job's already extremely interesting. So you talk about these places that DeVante AM's may fit. So let's talk about the Commanders. Why do you think why was he Why would the Commanders on your list of places he would be a good fit for.
Speaker 7: I think because a lot of it is.
Speaker 8: I think Adam Peters did a really good job of foundationally getting this team to where it needs to be. And when you're sitting there at three in a run and you're looking at the complexion of the division that you're in, and you feel the confidence that Cliff Kingsbury brings you and that this young quarterback brings you, like, where's the time to waste?
Speaker 7: Sort of a situation. And we heard the rumors. I'm sure you did as well.
Speaker 8: You know more than I do about their interests in Brandon Ayuk in the off season. They were, you know, interesting, if they were asking or interest in acquiring him, why would they not feel that way with DeVante Adams? So that sort of made sense. I think Adam Peters has it in him. It takes a certain sort of GM to feel supported by his ownership group and to feel like the coaching is here right now, in the here and now to make it happen. And it sort of seems like it's all working right now and I couldn't be more excited.
Speaker 2: Hey, I love your energy and optimism on it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Just like you, I have no insider info, but just like the rest of the four, do.
Speaker 3: You need him?
Speaker 2: It's a great question, That's how I asked me to ask, because to me, it's like get a weapon, you get a weapon, right. However, I love the receivers, the tight ends, I love the weapons we already have in the building, and we three.
Speaker 6: And one, so it's hard to say we need really anything.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would just say, like if you don't get them and it goes to the Jets or you don't want to go to the Cowboys and and CD, that we don't want.
Speaker 7: We don't want that.
Speaker 6: If we're Washington, if you.
Speaker 8: Know, if it goes somewhere and you don't get him like Sill, I wouldn't cry about it if I was Washington Nott right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, there's so many other things to be optimistic about, and you don't really see that like here, like you always want that big name free agent, like people freak.
Speaker 3: Out about it.
Speaker 2: But now that things are going so well, people are kind of chilling, like, oh, you know, if it happens, happens, you know, it's a different type of energy.
Speaker 1: Ink.
Speaker 2: I know you're busy. I know you got a lot of people in your CAREB right now. I appreciate you taking the time World War question for before we go, we have the Cleveland Browns and I'm not sure if you went to Cleveland during your training camp visits. However, I do know you're very familiar with all NFL teams, So ask you what kind of challenges does a team like the Cleveland Browns pose for the Commanders. Yes, we know they're struggling right now, however, they still have a gotten to Shaun Watson that can get it done.
Speaker 8: I got to be honest, I don't think it's a challenge. And I hope that this I obviously don't want this. Commanders seem to be looking past them, but this should be a team that's looking and staring down you know, four and one, by being consistent, by having Jaden be as special as he is. And I would say, I really don't see the challenge. I feel like the Browns are inconsistent and they what they lack is what the Commanders have, and that's confidence and that's poise. And you're seeing a very lack of confidence on that offense with the Browns. And I would say, I would say that the most impressive thing I've seen. I mean, there's obviously lots to be excited about with the Commander's offense, but Jayden and will he he doesn't do it often, but he made a mistake, you know, and once when he makes a mistake, that's when I'm watching. I'm saying, oh boy, how is he going to handle himself? How's and for him to just no problem pull it together. That is veteran, that is poised. That is I'm not afraid that if he turns the ball over that he's not getting it back. Cheering on his defense and he's going to go right down and score. We've seen that now and I think that gives that gives them the edge going into this game, and.
Speaker 7: It better not be close. Commanders, Jay, I love.
Speaker 2: The optimism, and you know what, it sounds like, we're starting to make you a Burgundy and Gold fan slowly. But Chirley, you don't got to change your family yet. We don't bring you up on this side.
Speaker 7: I wanted to go to a game so bad.
Speaker 8: I was supposed to come for the Giants opener, and then I wasn't able to come, And now I'm really really trying to get down there. But but yes, just so everybody knows, Kevin Durant comes on up in Adams and he told me he's picking the commanders every week.
Speaker 7: That he comes out.
Speaker 8: He's a true like a like a sick pup level fan. So and I'm sure everybody out there knows that as well. So he will be cheering on the Commanders and I will be helping be the.
Speaker 7: Hype girl too.
Speaker 6: Hey, we love that. Hopefully you can get kick on next man up as well.
Speaker 3: We have y'all both on.
Speaker 2: We love the Burgundy and gold love Kate, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 6: It's always we appreciate you.
Speaker 2: I love seeing what you're doing with Uppen Adams and just you just you're just a shooting star taking off.
Speaker 3: So thank You's amazing.
Speaker 8: You have the bad vibes in the business that should be on your little undertitle.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 6: I take Friday and that I'll take. Hey, I'll take you take I promise this.
Speaker 2: Man commanded family, y'all. Next moving up from up in Adams, Hey Adams, thank you so much, Key.
Speaker 1: Command this family for our next man up.
Speaker 2: You know, we love to bring in a legend and this one is a true legend. Fifteen years in the NFL Hall of Fame, career holds so many records for a defensive back. Was drafted here in the first round, seventh overall and it's just a true legend, one of the best to ever do it in this game. Welcome me in, Champ Bailey. My boy got the lok saw. He's comfee. You feeling good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, thanks for having me. Man, I'm chilling.
Speaker 1: Oh man.
Speaker 2: It's a blessing to have you. And we have so much to talk about. But I want to start in the beginning. Man, I want to start in the beginning. When you got drafted to Washington. That was a while ago. But take us back there. What was young Champ Bailey feeling thinking being drafted so high, going in the first round, accomplishing those dreams?
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, twenty five years ago. You know, I think back then, man, I just wanted to play ball.
Speaker 3: That's all that. Man, when you're young.
Speaker 4: I was twenty years old and they called by name, you know, sort of a dramatic draft.
Speaker 3: But at that time, I was just I just wanted to.
Speaker 4: Play ball, and I was fortunate enough to come to a team that, you know, a story franchise, the hottest division in football.
Speaker 3: It just it worked out perfectly.
Speaker 4: And then you know, the people I got to connect with, that's a whole other story.
Speaker 2: It's not every day, a rookie comes in and has a locker room right next to Daryl Green, and then I locker right next to Deon Sanders. Those are Hall of Fame players and you're coming in and getting that pedigree right away.
Speaker 1: How valuable was that for young chat Bailey? Well?
Speaker 3: Very valuable.
Speaker 4: Well, if you remember, it was just Darren at first, and you know, our defensive back coach, Tom Hayes really just put me under Dal's wing and and Drell taught me only he could, right, it was it was. It was interesting because we were two different type of players as far as how we were built, you know, the things we could do. You know, I was a press corner. He was off, you know, just staying step for step with guys.
Speaker 3: That was his mo.
Speaker 4: But the things I learned from him were crucial to the early part of my career. I mean, I mean, honestly, man, if I didn't have him in those moments, I didn't know how to play corner until we got together. Like I was an athlete, I mean you could see I could do things, but I had the tools.
Speaker 3: But ultimately, man, it was it.
Speaker 4: Was his tutelage that really got me over the top and solidified who I was going to be earlier in my career.
Speaker 2: What were some of those things that he did tell you that helped you? Like, you know, as people that that don't play the game right, they're like, man, what are those that advice that you get?
Speaker 1: But it could be anything under the sun.
Speaker 2: It could be life things, it could be family things, it could be financial things. What were some of those things that you did get from Darryl green Well?
Speaker 4: He used to have this saying, uh, he still uses it, I'm sure like your hands are great, but your feet are better. And what he met is, you know when when I play bump and run. The thing about Darryl he don't.
Speaker 3: He don't like to touch people at the line. He never did.
Speaker 4: His thing was I'm just gonna move with you. You go, you go later on going latter two and and he would always tell me, you know, it's great, you got these long arms, you're strong and all this.
Speaker 3: You've got a bigger body type. But it's really about your feet.
Speaker 4: And I teach that now when I'm teaching any young kid about anything, it's all about your feet. And you know, just just narrowing and focusing in on what was important and then my hands were just the bonus, and I bought into it.
Speaker 3: I bought into it because I saw him do it.
Speaker 4: You know, he was good at it, and I'm like, man, if I could put that in my game where it's not about it if I touch you, it's more about if I could stay with you. And you know, it really helped me become a great bumping rint corner corner, you know, early in my career, and.
Speaker 2: You're competing and growing as a corner and then they bring Deon Sanders in one of a legend, right, one of the best to ever do it.
Speaker 1: Man, how did that affect you?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: That sort of solidified everything Daryl was saying, because you got to think my rookie year is really just the process of me buying in. But then here comes Dion and then what I realized. You know, Dione would do things, but he was he was always conscious of his footwork. Now this is later in his career. He's really buying into his technique. And you know he would get in this motorcycle stance and you know people would always.
Speaker 3: You know, try to emulate that.
Speaker 4: But not only was it a fear tactic, it was still he would when he wouldn't go at you. He would still come back to bas and being square and trying to move with you. So it was always about defeat. And I'm more built like Dion than Darryl, Like we're both taller, longer corners, you know, with great speed and quickness, and to be able to understand and buy into the aspect of your cheek being the integral part of why you stay toe to toe with these bigger receivers and these quick guys. I mean it really, it really solidified what I was going.
Speaker 2: To be and what I could be and what to do for your confidence because I read somewhere that when da comes in, you're immediately right like he's the o G. So you're like, you know what, he's the starter, he's taking it all. But that wasn't necessarily the case, was it for you?
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: What's funny is that that was my initial thought, like, I'm not starting. Here's two of my itels obviously gonna play before me. I was reassured by north Turner like, no, you're starting one of them coming off the bench.
Speaker 3: It's you know, because I think they knew that I was.
Speaker 4: I was in for a great second year because of how I finished my rookie year. You know, I really I think that's one playoff game we won that year.
Speaker 3: I had a really good game.
Speaker 4: I mean it was it was just one of those things like, oh man, coming off this off season, this kid is ready. And I think they knew that and I felt it too.
Speaker 3: But still these are my itels. I didn't playing before then.
Speaker 4: But it worked out great because you know, they wanted to see me grow and become what they had already done, and you know, it was a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: And Chimp, I really just don't think young corners get that type of like game and that type of just path that you have. What is your favorite memory from Washington when you were playing days in Washington?
Speaker 4: You know, I got some good memories, and it's more about the people I played with. I mean, you mentioned two of the greatest right two first ballot Hall of Fame corners, and I give them a lot of credit for get me on that first ballot, but it's the Bruce Smith, ah Man, Sam Jade liilm Evans. I mean, these guys that were, they were they had something to do with my growth as a young player.
Speaker 3: Darryl pounds. Who who the guy I replaced as a starter?
Speaker 4: I mean I started from my first game, but he was the starter, you know, all through the spring summer, we got the training camp, he was a starter, and then I ended up starting before the first game.
Speaker 3: But he didn't let that get in the way of him mentoring me, teaching me little things.
Speaker 4: It was just it was just great to have that kind of mentorship early. So I mean that's what I really remember the most because every time I see a guy get drafted, I'm always looking at, well, who's his vets? Like who are the guys that are gonna be you know, and you don't know where that leadership for that mentorship is gonna come from when you walk in the door, because you don't know these guys, you just see them. I didn't think Bruce Smith would take to me and look at me as a potential Hall of famer like himself, Like these guys were already Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: Before I ever stepped on the field with them.
Speaker 4: So having that it really it really helped me early on because I knew what success looked like and I got the witness it.
Speaker 1: Every day we talk about these Washington memories.
Speaker 2: I always think of this photo that I see all the time, because, as you know, I work with Fred Smooth quite a lot, so you know, we're looking them up and doing different things, and there's this photo of you, Darryl Green and Fred Smooth walking down the field y'all and y'all uniforms.
Speaker 1: What was it like being a veteran, I guess when you're still young as well. By having a young guy like Smooth come into the building and come into the locker.
Speaker 4: Room, I mean, it was, it was fun. It was It was a lot of fun. We had a lot of good time together. I think it gave a different dynamic. But you know the thing about Smoothest, he was just as hungry as I was. You know, he thought he was the best. He played and practiced like it. And I would like to think he took some of those traits that I could show him at that young age of how to be successful. Because I'm coming off my first Pro Bowl and then he comes in, Dion goes out, but Daryl's still there, so we do have our steady hand at the top. You know, we all respected him and you know his leadership. But here's Smooth who hasn't changed a bit, so if you've been around and you know how he was even back then, like it was even worse back then, Like how loud and disruptive he were. He was, but he but I think all in all, what mattered the most is that he wanted to be a great football player. He thought he was, and he worked like it. And man, he was the most fun teammate I've ever been around. Because it wasn't nothing. He wasn't down to do it. So, you know, we had some really good time together. I learned some things from him, you know, just just little stuff, man, you know.
Speaker 3: The way he played.
Speaker 4: He couldn't do some of the things I could do, and I couldn't do some things he could do.
Speaker 3: Like it was just you know, as Darrel always had the.
Speaker 4: Same man, there was no real book on how to play corner like you got to figure out what works for you. There's some things that are constant. But all in all, man, we're all different. We all gonna get it done differently.
Speaker 1: And the same way you talk about Fred is the same way he talks about you.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: He revers you guys so much for being those Ojizu just helped him out being those guys that helped him just kind of ease his way into the NFL, because that's a tough locker room to go in and compete with, right when you got two guys that are really man established like that, and you know now that you're back in the fall, Man, let me tell you there's nobody these fans love more than Fred Smooth. And I don't know outside of you and Daryl, I don't know if there's anybody that can give us those Fred Smooth stories. So if you would give us just that one favorite memory of your time in friendschoo, whether he's being crazy, whether he's talking trash in the locker room, because we hear stories all the time, but I'd love to hear it from somebody else.
Speaker 4: I never forget this one time. Well, I got two little things for you, but one is more embarrassing for me. One is kind of his personality. So you know, as rookies, you know, I wouldn't say it was hazing, but we would always make him do certain things. And I can't remember what the demand was from Smooth, and he just bust out, man, I'll take the physical challenge. And he had no idea what he was getting himself into. So we ended up taping him to the gold post. It was just but it was smooth though. He was not going to go down the traditional way. He's not gonna sing, he's not gonna go get food. He didn't do he didn't want to do anything. So he was just like, I'll take the physical challenge. I'm like, I didn't know what that meant. Of course, I'm not grabbing him and taking him to the gold post, but I'm making sure the big boys don't hurt him along the way, right.
Speaker 3: So, but that was who he was.
Speaker 4: But there's also this one incident. I was about to be late for practice, and I don't know if Freddy gonna remember this, but but I called Smooth. I'm on the other side the beltway, and I'm like, Smooth, I'm forty five minutes out.
Speaker 3: Practice started fifteen minutes. Just tell coach. I'm in the bathroom on the toilet, Like, just tell him.
Speaker 4: So our coach at the time, I mean, you gotta think, like I'm kind of established. I'm in my fourth or fifth year at this point, and you know, I could get away with some things.
Speaker 3: But at the same.
Speaker 4: Time, I'm accountable and I.
Speaker 3: Never did and push the envelope.
Speaker 4: But this one particular time, I just overslept up and I'm on my way to the facility.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm trying to you know, the belt Way unpredictable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'm traffic weaving in and now trying to go back to Potonac and just trying to get down in Virginia to get the practice. And he held it down for me till I got there. Of course, they didn't ask a lot of questions. I remember running out on the field, staying out there for about twenty minutes, and running back in like I had to go to the bathroom because I had to sell the story because coach thought I had a messed up stothing could get just be over like that.
Speaker 3: So it was just one of them things, man. And that's what Smooth was.
Speaker 4: Man. Smooth looked out for me. I looked out for him. And you know, I'll never forget those moments with him, okay, man.
Speaker 2: And and then Fred talks about those moments a lot too, man. So it's a member of love on both.
Speaker 1: Sides of that.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to talk to Hi about it. And I'm sure what y'all was taking him to the goal post. He was talking trash deep.
Speaker 3: Yeah the whole time, the whole time.
Speaker 4: He didn't shut up one second of it. But it was who he was and we all laughed too. You know, nobody wanted to harm me. You just you know, sometimes you gotta let rookies know.
Speaker 2: It's great to hear those stories because some of you guys were a true brotherhood.
Speaker 1: And so then I gotta I gotta move forward to you were traded.
Speaker 2: You were traded for Clinton ports a lot of fans to this day, one of my best friends is a Washington fan, and he says it worst trade ever in NFL history because they felt like they lost somebody they truly loved. In a champ Bailey talk to us about what you went through during that time. So I'm sure you didn't see it coming, or maybe you did. I know you loved playing here. How did that trade effect? You bring us back then?
Speaker 1: And you know what went down?
Speaker 3: Well, at the.
Speaker 4: Time, they you know, we were contract negotiating. Is you know, really weird when you're playing. But I remember during that season, my fifth year, my last year in Washington, they just.
Speaker 3: Kept lowballing me.
Speaker 4: And you know, I remember the last statement they told my agent was you'll never get that what we were asking for. So that's when they decided, Okay, well we're gonna attempt to trade, and.
Speaker 3: They franchised me. Then they didn't tempt to trade me.
Speaker 4: I remember Joe Gibbs called me because he was becoming in as a new coach and I never got to play for him, but he called me.
Speaker 3: It was like, I hope he worked this out, YadA YadA, But.
Speaker 4: Of course he had no real saying how that was gonna work out. We didn't have a relationship, so there was no like loyal to I expected from him.
Speaker 3: But long story short, man, it was just they decided to trade me.
Speaker 4: I told Denver what I wanted if I would because I could have bucked the trade all together by not signing the franchise tag.
Speaker 3: Right, and Denver looked at the contract.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they wanted to pay me exactly what I was asking for, so I was like, damn, I should ask for more. But you know, at that time that was good enough. But you know, it happened, and then you know, I was a little upset with the fact that we were losing porters. I was like, we can't trade somebody else because I'm a running back fan. I grew up playing running back. I played running back in high school. I'm a running back fan and I love Clinton Ports. So I'm like, damn, so we gotta go. I gotta go to Denver. He's coming here. But I think the icing on the cake was the second round pick, which they eventually used to get Tatum Ball. So I was feeling like, oh yeah, we got a we got a good, good deal. We got this other fast back from from Oklahoma State and it worked out. But at the time, man, I did not want Porters to leave. Pray somebody else, like anybody, but this guy, like I was a big fan of his and what he did in his short career. I mean, I think he was coming off his second season or something. I can't I can't remember, but he was. He was all pro back, And for me, it was just it was a little daunting because I didn't.
Speaker 3: Know what to expect. I think Denver, I think snow, you know, yeah, now I'm going.
Speaker 4: But I'm going to a team and a franchise that had a good run up to that point and having a great run game, always in the playoffs, just always a winning pedigree. I'm like, it's just it just made it made sense for me in that point in my career that I make this lead and then, you know, fortunate enough for guys at that point in their career it's fifth sixth year when you moved to another team, people look at you as a leader coming in, So I had that respect walking in obviously, you know, big responsibility to be a leader, going from a guy that was kind of raised in Washington. But now I'm over here and people think I've done as much as you know most guys whole career, you know, So it's just you know, the respect was there. You know they treated me well, and you know it was the best thing happened in my career to get traded.
Speaker 2: But in that moment, right like now, we can look back and say it's the best thing ever. But like you said, you were raised in Washington, you loved it here. Did that put a chip on your shoulder? Not just getting traded but also you know, having to go through these negotiations and then not really seeing your value.
Speaker 1: Did all that put a chip on.
Speaker 3: Your shoulder a little bit? A little bit?
Speaker 4: You know, I wasn't really concerned with the past, and it did. I think what bothered me is that they didn't respect you know, what I had done, you know, and it was like, you know, I've been the four straight Pro Bowls in my five years there, you know, and I was an alternate as a rookie. But I think, you know, that really opened my eyes to what really matters, and it was relationships.
Speaker 3: And you know, they didn't draft me. Dan Snyder didn't draft me.
Speaker 4: He took over ownership in the summer after I got drafted by Charlie Cassell. So when Cassley ended up leaving before my rookie season, you know, there was no they weren't loyal to me. I mean, if you remember they drafted LeVar Arrington as Samuelson next year. Well, Lamar ended up getting a new deal before I left, so you know you could tell.
Speaker 3: Where the loyalties lot.
Speaker 4: I mean, and he deserved it, but I did too, So it was just it was just obvious, you know, I wasn't valued. So the best thing was for me to leave and trust me. I told people all the time, like I have equally as much Washington fans as Denver fans come up to me to this day, tap me on.
Speaker 3: The shoulder, talk about the trade.
Speaker 4: It's equal and it's been like that since I left.
Speaker 3: That was twenty years ago, so you know that. So there. It's always been in the back of my mind to be reacclimated with the franchise, but it really did take new ownership to get that done.
Speaker 2: And before we get onto you being back with the franchise, we have to talk about that first ballot Hall of Fame because clearly that trade led to what was a race a great career, turned it into an amazing career, and then you end up being a first ballot Hall of Famer. From everything you've been through, man, all of that stuff, even that trade, right, all of these things being overlooked.
Speaker 1: What did that.
Speaker 2: Moment mean for you to be able to be on that stage and get that gold jacket?
Speaker 3: I mean it was amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'm on that stage with some guys I played with, some guys I grew up revering.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was dude, it.
Speaker 4: Was amazing, And you know it's people tell me, used to tell me all the time. You know, within those five years I was retired before I'm eligible. Yeah, you're going first ballot, But I never really bought into it because I'm like, man, anything can happen like that. There's nothing more I could do to change the minds of these voters, you know.
Speaker 3: But again it goes back to relationships.
Speaker 4: Like I just remember being a guy in the locker room that the media could always come up to.
Speaker 3: And now who's voting the media. It's as simple as that.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, that's that's funny because all these these things carry over in life, and I'm like, oh, well, football is a part of my life, so why does it not exist here. I've seen so much evidence of how much these relationships mean. And you know, I try to tell guys all the time, no matter what, like some point, your career is going to end, and what your value is going to be based off the relationships you've built. And I never got away from that. And I'm lucky for me, it was natural for me. And I think a lot of people can see how some guys get left off and not get looked at for a Hall of Fame, and they deserve it.
Speaker 3: There's so many guys that deserve to be in. But I do think there's.
Speaker 4: Some people that are not in because they don't have the right They just didn't rub people the right way for whatever reason.
Speaker 3: Not that it's warranted, but it is what it is. Like, that's just how it is, you know, and you know, but I did.
Speaker 4: I do think my resume spoke for itself. So just based off game alone, yeah, you know, I felt like I should have been in, but again it's not in my control. So I felt good because we had three first ballots on my in my class with Ed Reed and Tony Gonzales, and then you throw Tylo in the mix. Man, you're talking about a hell of a secondary. That was a great class man. I was just happy to be in Man with some guys I love watching.
Speaker 2: Oh well deserved. Man, you were such a monster on that field. And I'm sure Washington fans you know, they missed you because we talked about this before we got on.
Speaker 1: You had not been back to after being traded.
Speaker 2: You had not The last time you had been in Washington was O nine, you were playing for the Broncos against US, and then you hadn't been back since until last season. New ownership comes in and decides we are going to make Champ Bailey our legend of the game for our very first home game as new ownership, which is I don't think people realize how big of a deal that is, especially somebody that hadn't been in the fold in a while.
Speaker 1: How much did that mean to you to be able to be back on that field, have all those.
Speaker 2: Burgundy and gold fans yell at you and cheer for you and just be so happy to see you. Man, What was that moment like for you after being separated for so long?
Speaker 3: It was amazing and it was overdue, you know.
Speaker 4: And I got to give you know, Tim Hottower and those guys a lot of credit for I mean, continuing to reach out. And you know, there were calls for me to come back, but again before new ownership, but it never felt right. And then when the team was sold, it just felt right at that time. It just they they made me feel like I was part of the family. And it never was a disconnection, because that's how close knit these circles are when it comes to former athletes and people you work with in this business. I mean, those bonds are strong. It's not it's not hard to reconnect. It's really not like we all could get around and talk about our times as a player or administrator or coach or whatever it may be. An owner, you know, and it's one of those circles you always want to be a part of. And I'm just happy to be a part of one of the most story franchises ever like this. I never wanted to disconnect, you know, from the franchise and you know, but if you're not valued in that way, then I'm not. I'm never going to force my way into somebody's house. That's just not who I am. But I got to give everybody there a lot of credit. Man, they're really changing the culture. It's been overdue. As you can tell.
Speaker 3: It's not hard to do that when when you have a team and a fan base like that.
Speaker 4: Like like I say, man, there's more people just as many people come up to me today about my time there, and there's been so many great players.
Speaker 3: Clint Porters wasn't wasn't a bus. They got something break out of that trade. So it wasn't like, yeah, it wasn't like I left for nothing like he was. He was a beast. So to be remembered, man, I mean, it's it's gratifying.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: It means a lot.
Speaker 2: And your ogi's getting loved too. He will be having his jersey retired. I know you will be there for that, man, how awesome.
Speaker 4: He hit me the other day, asked me, was I coming? Like, what is he talking about?
Speaker 1: Of course I'm gonna be there. How big is that gonna be there? You're gonna be on that field with him.
Speaker 2: Man, you're gonna see all of his hard work, because you, better than anybody, have got to really see the work and the time he put into his craft. And now he's finally getting recognized. For man, how special is that gonna be for somebody that.
Speaker 1: Was his mentee?
Speaker 4: Look, man, this dude. The fact that he's having to wait this long is is.
Speaker 3: It's criminal. It doesn't make anything. But what people don't understand is we've been can connected.
Speaker 4: Since I've retired, a lot a lot more since I retired and over the years of my career, like we always stayed connected, and for me it was it was.
Speaker 3: It was easy.
Speaker 4: Because I looked up to him, not for what he did on the field, but more what he did off the field. It's charity work, the business that he's done since he's retired, and we worked with some of the same companies now, so it's nothing to do. Like I say, we never got disconnected, like he was always my mentor. It still is like, we make sure we are on the phone at least two or three times a year, no matter what we're texting about something. You know, he's presenting opportunities to me and vice versa. So it's there's always been that bond. So I'm just happy to finally see him get the recognition that's been overdue for all these years. Nobody should everwhere twenty eight have ever again on the whole league, Like it's he means that much to the younger generation and the career.
Speaker 3: That he had. I mean, this dude played twenty one years.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, you tell me your corner getting past fifteen These days it's not happening. So, I mean, I got a lot of respect for him. I'm just happy I could get there and witness it in person and watch him cry again because you know he I can tell this one got to him.
Speaker 3: You know, this one, this one really got to him.
Speaker 2: And it shows the love that you guys had for this organization and this fan base, the way that you guys get emotional on the way you got to show up. So thank you for sharing that. And of course we got to talk about today's game. We got a lot of young secondary in there. We got kwalm Martin, we got Mike Sanders Shill, we have emmanual Force, We have all these young guys and a lot of things are changing. How do you feel about the lay of the land now for Washington.
Speaker 1: And how bright our future looks?
Speaker 4: Well, looks great, I think, you know, defensively, we've always had some good pieces, just and consistent, and I think the one constant thing that we have been missing is the quarterback.
Speaker 3: And we've had a good running game here and there.
Speaker 4: And Brian Robinson looks like a beast for some reason. Man, he just looked beast mood now for some reason. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: He always was that he always wasn't just you.
Speaker 3: Know, but it feels different.
Speaker 4: It feels like he has another level of confidence that I hadn't seen. He pops out on the screen to me like and I feel like in some ways that reflects the leadership that he has Silently. I don't know who he is or what type of person he is, but it just feels like he's energizing the team for some reason. Now, don't get me wrong, you know, it's obviously early in his career, but you know, one thing about this league. If you've noticed, man, you got to be mobile like that. All the good quarterbacks now have mobility. I think the least mobile guy is Yo Borrow and he can move a little bit. So I mean it's if you don't have some mobility, you're not gonna win early. And Jayden Daniels looks good in that pocket. But when you can dial up a quarterback run here and there, Lamar Jackson, like, I mean, it's dangerous, man. He creates another headache for the defense, something else they gotta work on. So you just never know what's coming at you. And boy, coordinator got to be in heaven with a guy like this.
Speaker 2: I think we are all at heaven, man, and we cannot wait till Sunday's game against the Browns to see them boys go out there and just continue to get better. And before we let you go on Sunday as well as Santanta Mans another guy that works with me and fred a lot, he will be the legend of the game. And you were defensive back for a very long time, so there's nobody prepared for receivers quite like you. Can you give us a little bit of Santana Moss story, something about Santanta mass when you would line up agains him and playing what kind of player was he in? How cool is it to see a OG like that get get on it, just like you were honored last season?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Fortunate though for me, I never had to match up against him, so I didn't I didn't have to like really tear into who he was. But you know, he one thing you couldn't, you know, get away from or at least ignore, was his speed. I mean, he was just one of those guys and he was always taking the lid off the defense and just really putting pressure on him. So I can remember preparing that week and we were just always trying to figure out, like when is he going deep? And I never forget he beat me on a corner route. They were in some kind of bunch formation or something and he was lined up at the first receiver. Now, usually the first receive it don't go deep. He's usually the one going under or run something short. And ran a corner from that number one spot and I'm like, whoa hold on? And man, like I say, man, this dude here, he's one of those guys that's super underrated. We don't talk about enough I mean every time his highlights pop up on my timeline, I just sit I just sit there and watch him. I mean, because he was amazing to watch. I only played him that one I think that one. Maybe once othern when he was with the Jets, but that that one time I remember vividly.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: And it's so great just having legends like you guys as part of this building. I think it speaks to not only the fan based on how much you guys are the fans, but just the people that you guys are too.
Speaker 1: Man so Champ. We're so happy to have you back in the fall.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We ain't gonna let you go. We're gonna hold on to you tight now. Man chat. We're so happy to have it.
Speaker 3: Man, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, Man, thank you for your time.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate having you on.
Speaker 3: Man all right, Man, looking forward to seeing y'all peace.
Speaker 2: Man Commanded, Sammy, we appreciate you watching this episode of Next Man Up. You can stream every episode of Next Man Up, even last seasons, on the Commander's YouTube page or wherever you get your podcast. Until Next Time Command His Family. I'm Brian Corpa JUNR. And this is next man up,