Speaker 1: My nineteen eighty seven Ford Mustang. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm one more thing.
Speaker 1: So my son asked me a question the other day that prompted this thought. We used to do a topic on back when we used to take phone calls GEZ many years ago, different kind of talk radio, but we used to take phone calls. Remember when we do tell us your worst pain, right, But but we would eliminate childbirth or tragedy.
Speaker 2: Right, No childbirth, no tragedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm applying that to this one. I'm not the childbirth part, but tragedy. Really don't use a tragedy I suppose for the answer. But my son asked me, and I, you know, I had to come up with an answer, or tried to come up with an answer. He said, what's the biggest mistake you've ever made?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh wow.
Speaker 1: So staying away from I guess childbirth or tragedy or whatever rules you want to put on. And I was trying to think of big mistakes I've made in my life because there's value in that, you know, if I can pass along big mistakes I've made in my life to my son, That's why I mentioned my nineteen eighty seven Ford Mustang. That is among my biggest mistakes I've ever made. It's the only new car I ever bought. Uh, it just happened to be a really, really crappy car. But it was a dumb I did to buy a new car. Anyway, I don't ever buy new cars, but so I feel like I can have a much better car for the same amount of money. AnyWho, I certainly could have done that. Then back when I was poor, I could have been driven away nicer car for.
Speaker 2: The same amount of money.
Speaker 1: I bought that new Ford Mustang for war, and it just happened to also be a really crappy car. It was at a time that American car companies were making really crappy cars. But that decision hounded me for years because I was upside down in it, as you are with new cars.
Speaker 2: Immediately, I was gonna say, not your conscience, your pocket book, you're actual Yeah, fiscal.
Speaker 1: Situation, yeah, anyway, you got any off the top of your head, Michael, worst mistakes you've ever made.
Speaker 3: Definitely a car. The same type of thing about a car on an impulse.
Speaker 1: I wonder how many for people it is a big purchase of some sort and off on a car when.
Speaker 4: I was young, and I was really disturbed because as soon as I said yes, the sales guy like started jumping up and down and was happy.
Speaker 2: Wow, whoa, whoa, I got an idea. Who's getting better this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like I got him, I got him, you know, wow.
Speaker 2: Wow. I've got to admit I don't mean to be unkind or anything, but obviously we're going with I mean, it's beyond no tragedies. I mean, the worst purchase you've made is an interesting topic, but there's no way the biggest mistake I've made is the worst purchase I've made. Well, I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I honestly don't know how I would answer that question, what's the biggest mistake I've made? I mean, my my marriage didn't work out, but I got two kids that I can't imagine not having, so there's just no way I would. And it was great for a while.
Speaker 2: So I just yeah, yeah, yeah, because the answer I had at the top of my head was I guess there's a mistake. Yeah, kind of falling in love with smoking pot when I was a teenager slash college student didn't do me any good. No good, I enjoyed the hell out of it at the time, but in retrospect, nope. Yeah.
Speaker 1: With with age, opportunity cost becomes a thing, yes, which you have to get to a certain age, I think, to really realize that.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: Henry and I ate at a basically a bar yesterday that also serves food and they have really really good French toasts. So we went there, but it was the middle of the day and it is full of people in there on a beautiful day inside this dark bar. Now, I know no judgment on that they're watching the soccer match whatever, but I have spent a lot of my life in dark bars in the middle of the day and sit outside and enjoying the beautiful day and doing anything productive or whatever. I would like to have a lot of those hours back. That would add up to many, many, many many days. So that's an opportunity costing. Yeah, that's you know, that's just basically every everything's okay in moderation, but if you spent too much time on.
Speaker 2: Whatever, right and you know, the outcome has been just fine. I've got to admit there are times I wonder what if? But I think everybody has that.
Speaker 1: But you don't have a I don't know do most people do most people have a clear biggest mistake, like they could quickly answer that question, because I couldn't. I still can't.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, I mean, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you have to almost make a really well, I mean a really big mistake, like if you put all your like we were talking to a financial guy earlier on the radio show, if you put all your money into space X, that would be a bad idea. Well, yeah, that would be a bad idea. I suppose that if you lost all your money and you were then broke, you could say that was the biggest mistake of my life.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I mean, we bought a house that was expensive right before the giant crash of eight whatever. But you know, I've spent so much time thinking about that and how that financial crisis came to be and how everybody became convicted. Okay, I'm told by every single authority that this is legit. It's not a bubble. This is because of population. Blah blah blah. Nobody'd heard the term credit default swap, et cetera, et cetera. Right, I think of it less as a mistake and more was an example of how you should be skeptical. Skeptical about the conventional wisdom. I guess you got one, Michael, who was unfortunate.
Speaker 3: Well, credit cards.
Speaker 4: When I was young, I got they said, hey, you can sign up a credit card, and of course I did, and yeah, it took me years to clean that up.
Speaker 1: I just thought of one. I wish I hadn't gotten so much sun. Oh wow, valuing being valuing being tan. I would rank that way up toward the top.
Speaker 2: And quickly, by god, let's get this job over with. Let's get good and burned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that one is not worth it, both in terms of skin cancer stuff, but just you know how your skin looks when you're older versus people who protect their I know a woman who's early fifties now, and she went she went no tan through her life, and all her friends say to her, Oh my god, I wish my skin was like your. She looks completely different than the average early fifties woman because she didn't do the tam thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you really like a catchers myth that was left out in the rain. It's terrible.
Speaker 1: You sure look good when you're tanno.
Speaker 2: Everybody does. Oh yes, sexy dead sexy makes your teeth look whiter too.
Speaker 1: You look better in clothes, you look thinner, you look everything looks better when you're tanning.
Speaker 2: Sure, of course you get laid a lot party, you get invited to the good parties. But don't do it. Kids of cours. Kids these Davis don't care about getting laid all the hormones in the water.
Speaker 1: I don't have a story like the Filipino horror bit my nose off, like Chris Farley does in the movie Dirty Work.
Speaker 2: I guess mistake I ever made was wandering into that Filipino.
Speaker 1: Horrorouse who bit my nose off.
Speaker 2: Ended up without a nose. As you can see, I.
Speaker 1: Was hoping through this I would come up with a better answer for my son with some wife's lessons.
Speaker 2: H well, feel free to use mine.
Speaker 3: What about physical injuries through stupidity like when I.
Speaker 2: Was a kid? The list is too long.
Speaker 4: Try I put up a board and tried to jump you a bike and went very very poorly.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, but even that, though you learned something, you learned risk assessment. I learned physical, learned about gravity exactly, gravity and basis.
Speaker 1: I learned about force and mass and inertia, and gravity and all.
Speaker 2: Kinds of stuff. I learned the fancy names of several different kinds of injuries, contusions, lacerations, abrasions, all of them I must have.
Speaker 1: Maybe I get maybe I'm working too hard to be glasses half full guy. But on a lot of my stuff, I feel like I needed that to happen, to learn a lesson, or that happened. But I did other bad things bunch as the time, and I wouldn't have wanted to be the kind of guy that never did anything risky right to avoid the times that it didn't work out. I don't want to live that life either, So I don't know. Maybe I'm trying too hard to turn lemons into lemonade.
Speaker 2: There's some sort of formula here was the wisdom require wisdom acquired greater than the pain endured or the screw ups negative effects? I mean, if like I lost my temper and murdered ten people and from that I learned you really needed to take a deep breath and control your temper. No, the lesson is not worthy of the bad all right, the net takeaway is still negative. And if the net takeaway is positive, well then well, how much of a regret is it. How else are you going to get wisdom?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or I like taking my chances with certain things and if you get a negative outcome sometimes, but most of the time it's okay or good. I'm not a eliminate all of those chances because of.
Speaker 2: A couple of bad times. Yeah, yeah, I know. As a young man, I was like half reckless. I would try things, do things and think, well, if this goes sideways, all right, I'll deal with it. That's fine. And other people would be like, you look like an idiot or a scumbag or whatever. Again, wisdom balance, right, That's why young men go to war because it gives zero shits about a lot of things.
Speaker 1: Do you think most people who like whoever smoke bought the way you did would say that, But looking back on it years later, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Effects different people different ways too, So I don't want to speak for anybody. Just the reason I say that Number one, it dulled my intellect to some extent, it dulled my ambition, and I realized, and I mentioned this more than once the years of the show, that if you are either drinking or doing drugs, you know, whatever, drugs. With a group of people who are your friends, you all have a mutual friend the alcohol or the drugs. You're not really each other's friends because when the drinking stops, the friendship almost always stops. And I found that out fairly painfully.
Speaker 1: I wish I had to watch less sports.
Speaker 2: Yes, I sit here in my hockey team T shirt having watched the entire Stanley Cup finals.
Speaker 1: I've started adding sports back in because I'd cut it out completely and decided that I got to do something that's fun and frivolous, you know, back to the moderation thing with everything. But man, I used to regularly watch all three NFL football games, the early game, of the late game, in the night game. That's nine hours you.
Speaker 2: Could have done something else with, dude, I mean, come on, yeah, that's a lot of time. Yeah. Oh oh.
Speaker 1: There's lots of people that do that though. That's what keeps the NFL and.
Speaker 2: Businesses people who do that right, right. Yeah, Yeah, to.
Speaker 1: Eat your own maybe you bust ass all week long and that is your your outlet, because you got to have an outlet.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, I don't judge, you know you you do you and in the balance, you think but just be honest with yourself. That's that's what it all comes down to. If you kind of feel like you're like spending too much time, wasting too much time, you probably are.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And uh, my final note on this will be back to the life lesson thing. So buying that new car that lost me money and was a painting in the ass, how much money have I probably saved over the years from that lesson? Oh again, I'm sure I get in that head, but that yeah, interesting.
Speaker 2: And if you're going to see fish get stoned, go ahead. Trust me, I'm not against it. I'm just a moderation.
Speaker 3: The car salesman jumped up and down.
Speaker 2: Wait I'm in it.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess that's it.
Speaker 1: Hey, ed, he actually bought it at the price