Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys string live from the.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in fris Joe.
Speaker 4: Six second past, Tis Today, Texdown and now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee, the official sponsor coffee sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. We are here, we are live. It is Monday, after a very terrible loss. But I am here with Isaiah Standback. I'm here with Patrick Walker. Christopher Beemer is in the background. I am Josh Rodriguez filling in for Kylie Omens today, who inexplicably is out. There's such a terrible how convenient he.
Speaker 1: Didn't want to face the music, the timing. Wee, Kyle, I know, right room, but.
Speaker 5: You can't seriously, he's looking in the mirror right now. Anyways, boys, it's a terrible loss, forty seven to nine, a terrible, terrible, terrible home stand against the Detroit Lions, who had a bone to pick. It was a grudge match for all intents and purposes. First off, let me say happy Happy Indigenous People's Day. We want to shout that out real quick, absolutely on a Monday, October fourteen.
Speaker 1: Considering I have Indigenous blood into so shouts to that creak Indian South Georgia. Yeah, yeah, you see that. And happy belated birthday to double j.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, Jerry Jones.
Speaker 1: It was Will mcclay's.
Speaker 5: Was Will mcclay's. Yeah, So happy belated birthday, Happy Indigenous People's Day, and happy terrible terrible victory or not victory victory loss Monday.
Speaker 1: You you won if your goal is to get your ass kick.
Speaker 5: In that case, we did really well yesterday.
Speaker 1: Off the top rope. I'm sorry, we say with your chest Monday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was okay, So let me let me do this. Reactions to another hometown beat down number three for this year, oh and three at home. Guys, how are we feeling? First, gut reactions, let's go gut reactions.
Speaker 1: Yes, is that this game was personal? Yeah, and I think we had that feeling coming into it. None of us at this table, regardless of what we felt like the outcome was going to be. None of us, you know, for those that chose Detroit Lions as the as the victors. Prior to the game, I didn't foresee it going down like that. Oh no, I didn't foresee it going down like that. Did I foresee the Detroit Lions offense being dominant? Yes, because they showed it on film, and what we've put on film gave me no vote of confidence that we were gonna be able to slow down there their onslaught. When you talk about our offense versus their defense. Didn't see that coming because what they have put on film leading up to his game is their defense will suspect talking about the twenty seventh ranked past defense in the league. You know, they've given up a good amount of touchdowns. These guys give up yards on the ground. This defense was not good statistically and personnel wise. We knew that they were undisciplined. We knew that they are well coached, but they just have these these personal I don't even know. I don't yeah, I don't even even know if it's a personal vendetta. They just they play selfishly defensively and turns on the back half, not necessarily front seven. We know the front seven was somewhat respectable. Aiden Hutchinson was going to be a problem because he I don't I mentioned in the pregame show, I didn't fear him, but have a high regard and respect him because of his his ridiculous, relentless effort. Right, He's just a relentless guy. If you let up on him, he's gonna get a sack. I think the first sack he had against Terrence Steel, Terrence Steell, you know, kind of got put on, slid on a sled a little bit, but then he led up like he like literally just let him go, and that's how he got a sack. So he's a guy that you can't let up on. Obviously, you know, prayers up to him as they show a replay on the screen as we watch, so prayers up to him and his recovery. And that's going to be a long one. I hate to see that by from anybody. But yeah, they just dominated. It was it was domination. There's nothing that could be said outside of the fact that they dominated on offense, they dominated on defense. Their game plan was substantially better on both sides, and they tried to embarrass you and they were they were effective.
Speaker 5: In doing that, successful, just very successful.
Speaker 1: In doing that by running four plays. I think it was for maybe five plays that were specifically designed to go to lineman. That's disrespect. It's it's pure and blatant disrespect as a forehead, as a forehand plant the foot, backhand.
Speaker 5: It was definitely that.
Speaker 1: I mean, they started the game with that first play from scrimmage declared who dance skipper eligible? Mm hmm. The troll job was on from that moment forward. Yeah. Yeah, Cowboys. Like I said, they got their asses kicked, they got out played, they got out schemed out coach, they got out everything. They got out physical, they got out executed, all of the things that you could get out performed in the Detroit Lions did that against the Dallas Cowboys on yesterday. And I mean, you could go down the line and I said, I wrote this in one of the postgame articles. I said, you could throw a penny in the huddle, and whoever that penny hits, it's probably to blame for yesterday's humiliation right on both sides of the ball. It's very very small amount of people that I can pull out of that group and say, you know what, you're safe. Brandon Oulvrey, You're safe. Cavante Turpin you're safe. I even say Daimont Clark, you're safe. Stepped up and he played and impacted the game in product for the fastest. Absolutely. But outside of those three and maybe one that I'm forgetting, I mean, that's forty four players that are accountable, that the coaching staff is accountable for what happened on yesterday. And it's just it's mind blowing. I said this to you guys going into the game. I said, one of the only reasons I was I was picking the Cowboys was because I could not fathom them dropping a fourth consecutive game at home based on prior to the January you lost to the Green Bay Packers. This was the best home team in the entire NFL for not one season, but two seasons. Yep.
Speaker 5: It was a thirteen game homestead and.
Speaker 1: Not only do you lose a fourth straight home game that you yourself said before this game started, Dak Prescott, Mike McCarthy, Seede Lamb, all these guys said, well, whatever we do, we can't, we can't lose this game. It wasn't even close. You got outclassed. You absolutely took the Cowboys out back and beat them to within an inch of their life, went back inside, got a refer reshment, came back outside, and finished beating them until there was no more life. The grit, the fight, the determination that we saw in Pittsburgh, none of that made the flight home to Arlington. None of that. Who the hell is this team? Is this the team that goes on the road and shows the grit the determination and they're three and ozero now and you see what you have there. But then they come home and they let somebody just walk into their living room and put their feet up and put the mundy shoes up on the couch.
Speaker 5: Respect.
Speaker 1: Your just all out disrespect. And this bye week is going to be telling for them as far as coming out because irs you talked about it, and we talked about it. This schedule doesn't turn down. No, this schedule turns up even more after Detroit Lion. So you either almost said a bad word. Sorry, Derek, you're listening. You either get your stuff together right now coming out of this by three and three, or you're going into Thanksgiving and your season is pretty much going to be over.
Speaker 5: I think, at least with my gut reaction after this game, and I said this before the panting button is smashed for me now after let's just not to do blast beats on it. It is just it is smashed because that loss was not necessarily what it predicted I did. I never predicted it was going to be like that.
Speaker 1: It's terrible.
Speaker 5: I thought your offense was gonna claw at a certain point. But in terms of like the biggest letdowns for me of all of yesterday, you know your defense is up against the wall. You know your defense is is just shattered. I mean there's no help really there. You're you're at your wits end with the depth on defense. But for your offense to come out and look the way it was. You see the play calls and not getting your receivers open, just not scheming correctly to get those receivers open. It's not for lack of talent. You have Jake Ferguson. You have Cdee Lamb, who, for all intent's purposes, played decently but was also not on the same page with Dak. And you see an offense just sort of sputtering down the field and hoping for oh well, at least we're in field goal range and we got best kicker in the league, let's go for it. To me, uh, that was the biggest letdown of last night. But for you guys, what would you say is your biggest letdown from last night? Would it be the offense with the defense?
Speaker 1: It's both, it's both, and I think last night on the on the post game show, on OT and on Game Night, you know, I highlighted the defense and absolutely just because of the fact that we haven't seen any consistent body of work from this defense that is headed up by Mike Zimmer. We just haven't. We've seen two We've seen one showing that was Week one. Outside of that, I guess a pretty bad team. Yeah, against a bad team. You know, you beat the Giants, it's a bad team. You beat Pittsburgh, that's a team that you don't know they're gonna make the playoffs. Middle but every team that we know is gonna make the playoffs. Gave up four nan thirty yards, more than seventy yards more in ninety yards.
Speaker 5: It just feels like all of last year's problems are now exacerbated they are this year. It's not being able to beat good teams at home or away. You're getting you're getting by. You're not even blowing out bad teams anymore. And it just it feels like all of those problems have been compounded and are just on a just have a microscope under that.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a lot of things going wrong, and like you said, they are exacerbated, and it feels like you were looking for improvement in certain aspects like run defense this year and things like that, and you were looking for the offense to take another step forward. I mean, it's year two in this offense and there should be some comfort here, but you're still seeing disconnects between Dak and Ceedee Lamb, even before Brandon Cooks with Now with the injury, you're seeing issues with separation, not just with Brandon Cooks, but with the wide receiver corps as a whole. The running game it took four games to finally get going. And then even before this game got well out of hand, the running game was nothing to speak of. I said, I made a note to myself here. This was after the first quarter. Into the first quarter. Here were the rushing stats for the Cowboys. Zeke had four carries for six yards. Rico had one carry for one yard.
Speaker 5: After Rico's best game correct five rushing.
Speaker 1: Ceedee Lamb had one carry for two yards, and that was the totality of your first quarter rushing attempts and as it goes, and some people will probably look at the fourth quarter and say, well, Rico he got going. Okay, well before he got going, so to speak, with the garbage time, Rico had seven yards on three carries before his twelve yard running the fourth and then they kind of started feeding him heavily as the game started to wear down and Cooper Rush was saying and then Cooper Rush came in and he wanted to join the interception party, and so he did join the interception party as well. This goes again. If you want to go line items. First of all, to answer to your question who was most disappointing defense or offense, I'm the option to see all of the above. The secondary no, just no, you failed. And for a guy like Ao who had come in having put solid stuff on tape that deep ball early in the game right side. Don't know what your goal was there, but clearly was not defense. Okay, secondary, no linebackers outside of the mont Clark No, your defensive line absolutely not flip it over to the offensive side of the ball. Your offensive line got taken the school from one player to another, and you can't. Cowboys fans, you can't put this one on Tyler Gutton. You cannot. You wanted to see Tyler Smith pop out the left tackle and TJ Bass and then left guard. You got what you wanted, now that being said, Tyler Smith, We've seen him play much better than he played yesterday. We've seen TJ Pass play much better than he played yesterday. We've Zach Martin be Zach Martin. Zach Martin led the team in pressures allowed with six yesterday. That looked like a shell of Zach Martin yesterday. So that's a conversation. So your offensive line f your quarterback was under duress. You didn't do him any favorites. But you know what in the moments when he was not under duress, f okay. And that goes to, you know, the miscommunications with CD. That also goes to just throws that weren't there receiving corps. CD had a mostly solid day outside of the disconnects. But you need more, Jaylen Tobert did his best. Poor guy the son hit him with a pass breakup? All right, Jalen, Sorry, bro, he did what he could. Jake, you need to see more from Jake. Jake was unable to get his yack yards that you see he couldn't, you know, hit his chimy and shake three. I think yeah. And also difficult ball. But that jump ball middle left gotta come down with that. That's a critical play that that was missed. Jake wants that ball back. That was one of the on a day where Dak Prescott played poorly for basically sixty minutes of football. Help him out. When you do get a throw like that where it's catchable and it's a critical play and the game is not out of reach it you got to come down with that ball. And then you saw what happened after that, the slant to turpend and you could argue it was DPR whatever. It didn't work. Okay, that was a whip route. Yeah, done on game night. So when you in the running backs room, I just talked about that. So that that's a fail as well. If you're not on special teams, you failed the Cowboys yesterday. Period. I sam, yeah, I mean, there's there's not much to be said. I mean, it just it was bad all the way around. I don't want to beat them into the ground. They know it's terrible. It was just bad, you know, there's there's one aspect of this team that you're confident in, and that's special teams. Absolutely, that's it. That is literally it. You don't have You don't have a defensive identity, that's it. You legit don't have a defensive identity at all.
Speaker 5: Do you have an offensive identity?
Speaker 1: You know who you are. They're just not there. They're not showing up, you know what I mean? Like because the only reason who are? We have the body work from last year, same system, same players, right, so we same plane caller, so we know what they're capable of. But you're not seeing as the creativity. You're not seeing the creativity from coach McCarthy in that regard. You're just not from him and Shoddy. They early in the game they started moving CD around and they got him the ball. After that it was slim pickens. Right. So the concepts, these are very simplistic concepts, and they can work against certain defenses. Right, But if you realize that these simplistic concepts aren't working from these alignments and from these motions, then you got to get in your bag. Early. I've said this a couple of weeks ago. You got to get in your bag earlier. Right now, Kella Moore, you see empty the back too early? Right now? I feel like Coach McCarthy's taking a little bit too slow. So I know that he's capable, right because we've seen it. We've seen him get create, we've seen him as with personnel. We've seen him you know, highlight guys. But I don't know if it's because of who he has at his disposal right now, or if he's just just kind of being safe, or he's trying to build some confidence by these guys by giving them very simplistic type of offense to run. But this he's capable of more. I'll say that coach, Coach McCarthy and Schottenheimer, they are capable of more than what they are putting on film right now. In terms of strategy defensively, I just don't know. I really don't know. And I stand on the same statements, the same sentiments that I had leading up when we were looking for a defensive coordinator. I didn't necessarily have a ton of faith in the in in that particular higher right. I just respect it. I respect him as an individual, respect his body of work. But this game has evolved. This game has evolved and offenses are a lot more complex than they ever have been. They're a lot more creative than they ever have been. Like a triple flip. Yeah, And if you guys remember one of my biggest concerns about this particular hire coming into this building, not to say that he can't be effective, but that I was concerned about the effectiveness with the personnel that he has at you know, at hand, do you have the personnel that you need to run your type of scheme? And my answer was no, you didn't have the money to go acquire it, and you didn't have the time to draft the guys to get all the guys you need underneath your belt. And I think we're seeing that show up. I really think we're seeing that show up. And you're trying to fit what's the analogy a square peg in a round hole around and outside of that. Once you realize that that's not working, now you've got to be creative. Now you have to change what your initial game plan was. Okay, this isn't working for whatever, for a number of reasons. Right, we got a ton of injuries, Guys aren't being disciplined, Communication is not going well. You know, the guys just aren't doing their whatever it is, it's not going well. So now what Now what, You're sixty games into it, Now what, you're a third of the way through the season. Something has to change. Well, you know, I'll tell you one thing that absolutely has to change. And you make great points, Irs, So I'm going to piggyback off of that. I'm going to put it on the players. Okay, and this is not me taking it off of Zimmer, but I'm also putting it on the players because this this mustard spreads all over the bread today. Okay, David Montgomery recorded ten mistackles yesterday, ten on twelve carries. Are you kidding me? He does? That is the highest mistackle person person ext gen. That's the highest mistackle rate eighty three percent of any rusher this season in the entire NFL who has started each game.
Speaker 5: And I think that goes into Isaiah's point about just this team not being very physical.
Speaker 1: Twelve let that sink in crazy, twelve handoffs, ten missed tackles. Do the math there? That is that is abysmo execution. So when you while we are rightfully wondering what's going on with the adaptation of Zimmer's scheme in twenty twenty four's version of the NFL. Let's also talk about the continued lack of execution on this defense mistackles. Anybody who's followed this team knows that. As much as penalties has been have been kind of the crux of the issue on offense, mistackles have been a problem for this Cowboys defense, and not just under Zimbra, but in the DQ era as well. At a certain point, we're also going to point the finger at personnel on the roster and say, hey, you know I discipline and gap integrity and assignment and keys and just play your ball. And what I'm seeing yesterday most certainly as the game started to kind of snowball is guys. It felt like guys started to trust the guy next to them a little bit less and a little bit less with every chunk play that was made. And when I say chunk plays or there were plenty of those, because I made a note here as well, it's funny because I literally wrote this chunkier than homemade peanut butter chunk plays. Seven rushes of at least ten yards and six receptions of at least twenty yards before the fourth quarter started. Yeah, the fourth quart they put off. Oh yeah, they could have hung sixty easily on this team. So defensively speaking, execution still a problem. Mistackles still a problem.
Speaker 5: But you expected that in a way. You expected to see that with as many holes as you had on defense. The offense didn't help you out at all.
Speaker 1: They did not. We're not we're not done with the offense. I whole hardly expected the offense to just run the table. I agree, and they could have. I agree. I said it in the prediction. I said, I feel like this offense is on its precipice right, and then they completely fall off the cliff in the wrong direction completely. Dak Prescott versus man coverage yesterday, he completed his first three it is man coverage for thirty five yards, and then he completed only two of the next fourteen, and that included both of his interceptions against man coverage. He just wasn't seeing it now. Pressure didn't help that. Everything fit everything, Yeah, everything fed into the next thing, that fed into the next thing. Right, You needed those compounding press. The defense was wrecked injury wise. Okay, no excuses, because you went in Pittsburgh and you won like that Chauncey and Tyrists and Carl Lawston, Carl last and was brought to this team to be that veteran presence in the event you have an injury. Didn't provide it, right, These guys are getting paid too, so you need to step up and you need to play those roles. So I understand injuries happened, and it's true, and it does downgrade the talent. However, you still have a task, and the task for everybody on this roster is to step up when the person in front of you goes down due to injury. That did not happen yesterday. But it wasn't just on the backups who were asked to step up in the absence of Kneeling and Tank and Micah and Deron. It was all so some of the veterans, the veteran main stays that you needed to just play high level football, and they did not play high level football. So now you come to the offense and you say, well, defense is having a crap of a day. All right, offense, get it going. We talked about it. Line's secondary. They can be had, They can be had. Oh why aren't we having them? Oh they're having you instead Okay, pressure, pressure is making it harder on Dak Prescott. Okay, Dak need you to be super man in this one, because your offensive line is not going to save you. Nope, you're not going to get any good throws from Deck when he has the time to make the throws, let alone, he's under pressure. Okay, well, maybe we can stabilize this with the running game before things get out of hand. Nope, no, no answers, and it's like the receivers. Okay, ceedee lamb miscommunications Jayalen Tobert again. I draw a circle around jayling Toberd in a positive way because he really did play some ball yesterday. But you know, Jake drops that you can go down the line and you.
Speaker 5: Can't even before we go to break. You can't even blame the training camp.
Speaker 1: Training camp doesn't last six weeks.
Speaker 5: It's not six weeks.
Speaker 1: So if you were saying that's oh, if you were saying in August September, oh, well that was a ceed Lamps training camp. They've had plenty in October fourteenth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they've had a quarter of the season to figure that out. So all right, boys, we need to take our first break when we come back. I want to talk about Jerry's comments. I also want to talk about Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott strikingly similar press conferences in what they were saying, we need to look in the mirror right after this break.
Speaker 6: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and.
Speaker 1: Pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 6: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission.
Speaker 1: Head to your local grocery store and roast.
Speaker 3: Yourself some Black Rifle coffee Today. Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 7: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 6: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 1: The Jack Black Playmaker is four of.
Speaker 6: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 8: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be.
Speaker 1: Beat better yet.
Speaker 8: Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 5: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to Talking Cowboys. Presented by Black Rifle Coffee. This segment is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats, trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Got mine, zan Boys, I saw them, I needed them this morning. The Cowboys ate their oats. I needed a hearty meal. No today, clearly not their old yesterday. It's okay. Sometimes you got to get smacked in the face. Sometimes you got to get smacked in the face. But some the backslap is what did it. Sometimes getting smacked in the face is necessary to wake up. You know what I'm saying. We all, I mean, you know, Beamer comes in on the late flight. Sometimes you come in on late flights. Sometimes you need to somebody you wake up. You know what I'm saying. But the back You're okay with the with the run slap, but if somebody comes backhand, that's where the blatant disrespect comes.
Speaker 5: Here's the problem to your offensive lineman. And then the problem is if.
Speaker 1: We were talking about oh, you just need to wake up, slap, Okay, maybe so, But if you're talking about home games, you've been slapped three times? Now? How many? Yeah, four in a row? How many slaps you need? Yeah? Home? I mean home is home? I mean yeah, you would love to say you would love to be able to say that you still have a great advantage at home. You don't, right, and there's right now. They don't. They don't have any they don't have the problem.
Speaker 5: My biggest pent is they were booing that Prescott. That's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's and that sucks. Man, My biggest problem, and that's obviously going to continue to be a stand up guy and take blame for this entire team. This is not all on him. This was just a terrible loss in general by everybody. This was a green Bay loss. This is what that was, right, This was a green Bay loss. That's because the offense showed up, came alive. Were my biggest my biggest issue. Right, we can talk all day long about all the things that were wrong about this game. My biggest issue is that you don't have an identity, and that to me is worrisome. That's worrisome to me because when when everything else is going to crap, because there's going to be those days, you're gonna have those days where you get blown out like this and you're not gonna like it and you're gonna try to put your finger on it and it's just too many holes to plug all that one time, right, So you go, you watch it, you address it, and then you say, all right, let's go have a better game plan for the next one, right, because we can't fix everything that we that we see, right, you just can't. You can't address at all. But we're gonna gonna highlight the major areas and we're gonna we're gonna hit those head on and deal with it, look at ourselves in the mirror, and push forward. But when all else fails, what do you lean back on, Like, what's your ethos?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 1: What makes you yeah, what's your ethos? So, for instance, talk about Detroit Lions. If the Detroit Lions defense was trash and their offense was trash and especial teams couldn't kick it through the dog on goal posts. What do you know that you're still gonna get out of them? They're gonna okay, they're gonna be physical, and they're gonna be relentless. That's that's a that's a culture, no matter what. That's a culture, right. That is the ethos of that team, right, and nex stems from you can say stems with Dan Campbell, whoever you want to say, but that's what you know you're gonna get no matter what the result of the field is, right. I don't know what that is for this team right now. And that's to that to me is worries and because that's something that you can always lean on and that may get you through in certain games when you when you perform like this, that may, right, but at least you know that you I'm leaning on that. And that's that's what's most terrifying about the outlook after a game like yesterday and after you know, looking at the totality of the first six games, is there is no ethos, right, and you have no identity And yesterday when you talk about having no posts, they were cadavers. Yesterday. They were just a cadaver body. Yeah, just empty shells of a body that were just getting beat up on, kicked on, spit on, etcetera, etcetera. And so to me, what's your identity, John Doe going into the BI week? You're John Doe. You're John Doe. You were just a cadaver with a tag on your toe, and nobody can identify who this body is because you're waiting for dental records to come back. I guess right, So until you identify, you know, are you going to start out physically people. We're not seeing enough of that to be like, okay, that's your ethos. Are you going to finesse people to death and you know, light up the scoreboard for forty points like you did last year and the year prior and in years prior. We're not seeing that either. Are you going to line up and punch them in the mouth. We're not seeing that either. We're seeing you're getting punched in the mouth rep after rep. And again you look at like the offensive line and just Terrence Steele had a bad game, and Tyler Smith had a bad game, and Zach Martin had a bad game, and TJ. Bass had a bad game, maybe Cooper BB had a bad game, and and then it just kind of goes from there. I love the word ethos. What what's your ethos? What is your identity? Right now?
Speaker 5: It is John Doe in my opinion, when you look at this game, when you even look at the wins, where's the identity there? When when you beat the Steelers, what would you say is the identity of that?
Speaker 1: That was grit? And that's what's most with I'm going to speak at that was a flash. I was going to speak as a parent, and you can relate to this, and all parents can relate to this, and even if you're obviously we're all children of someone, so you could probably relate to this, just as being a childis one. When is it more frustrating for or your child to fail? Or is it more frustrating for your child to fail after they've shown you how successful they can be. It's the ladder for me. The reason it's the latter is because now now that you've shown me, the expectation is here, So that means the effort in the execution and or the care the details, the details are lacking, and that is infinitely more infuriating from a parental standpoint, because it's just like, okay, it's one thing when you haven't shown me yet that you can do this. So it's like, okay, we're working our way up to this. Let's progress, let's work away. But you've seen your grace becomes longer and your patience becomes wider. But when you've seen that you can operate at this that they can operate at this level, and then they come down start operating here, no serve like what is this?
Speaker 10: This?
Speaker 1: This is not going to fly. So now, no grace, no patience, not for a loss like that. If they had at least put up a fight. You lose by three, you lose by six, you lose by seven. God that sucks. But this is a different conversation. After that, you walk in and you John Doe yourself through, you know, sixty minutes of football. Are you disappointed? Are you disappointed or frustrated? Yes?
Speaker 5: I'm disappointed, disappointed because.
Speaker 1: The expectations, like I just said, are not being met. Frustrated because they can be met, but the things that need to be fixed are simply not being fixed. That's why we're sitting here slapping the panic. But ken the coach has fixed us. I think it has to start with players fixing it. Okay, I think it has to start with players fisking it. That's why I look at what part are you referring to exactly? Because I mean both. Obviously, everybody's taking it's everything where it's it's a machine. Everything works, and you know, in conjunction with the next thing, that works with the next thing. But when I say it has to start with players, it has to start with number one and the look in the mirror thing, I'm right there with that. I think every all fifty three have to need it to go home last night first and foremost and just sit with this, sit with it, Just sit with it, and don't don't run. And I'm not saying they are, but this is just me saying what I would. Don't don't run from the film because when you watch that film, your jersey number is probably gonna look real bad on that film. Don't run from it. Eat that, feel that, and then take accountability forward. Now, once you take your individual accountability, look to the left and to the right and make sure that those two individuals are taking that equal amount of accountability right, and then from there you get out on that practice field and you play like it's your last rep that you will ever play. Okay, and then from there, now you put the coaches into it and say, okay, what adaptations can we make schematically, offensively, defensively things like that. But doesn't matter what adaptations come offensively for Mike McCarthy defensively for Mike Zimmer if each individual player doesn't get their act together. And that's what I mean, and this is something Mike could talked about when he said, guys playing trying to be Superman, it's the same premise, right, do your job, I'll do my job. Do your job each at the highest level, and then the risk will start to fix itself. And even if the adaptations don't come offensively defensively, now we're playing good ball that keeps us in football games. And then the thing that needs to be fixed is more easily fixed as far as scheming. Right, not to say that it's easy, but it's easier to fix scheming than it is to make a player play up to his potential when he is down on himself or he doesn't feel that he can. It starts internally, right, So you fix the small to solve.
Speaker 5: The big, So you already answered my question for the most part, Isaiah, when they're talking about looking in the mirror, and everyone sort of had the same sentiment. They said, they said the same the same thing basically in their press conference is after the game or their their interviews after the game. It's like, you have to look at the man in the mirror. What is the man of the mirror telling you after a game.
Speaker 1: Like this that you gotta punch in the mouth.
Speaker 5: And I mean, and to answer your own question, is it players or is it coaches?
Speaker 1: And what it's both? It's both. I think it starts with the coaches. Personally, I think it starts with the coaches because the coaches pull the strings the players execute. The coaches put you in position to be successful. The players use that positioning to go out there and highlight their abilities and make plays. That's the reality. You have to be put in position. It's the reason why some players flourish in some systems and they don't flourish in other systems. It's all about how you're being utilized. So I think it starts with the coaches because coach McCarthy has to reel this thing in and help these guys see the big picture and say, hey, we're three and three, and yeah, the losses we've had have been trash, right, but we're three and three one game. Yeah, so like as bad as it feels right now, like let's etch and sketch this thing. Yeah, let's let's watch this film. We're gonna come in, We're gonna watch the crap out of this film, and it's gonna suck and everybody's gonna get graded. Don't know if you know this, but you sit down in your meeting rooms and they coach hands you a whole little stack of papers, and in that sack of papers, it has every single play call and at the top of the play, at the top of that sheet, it has a grade and it's circled and in every every play is a plus or minus. And they your coach, your position coach, grades every single person that touches that field. And you look at that, and you guys talk through every single play and you watch every play intently, like what did we do what we were supposed to do? Then I execute what could I have done better? Okay, next play, and you go through every single play. You do that as a unit, and then I don't even know it individually. How many times you do that it depends on on your on your work ethic and how much you value the film. But and you that's looking in the mirror. I have to see it. Yeah, you have to. You have to see it. You have to have to acknowledge what the heck.
Speaker 5: I did now, Acknowledge your reflection, acknowledge it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see it. It's like, I don't know if everybody's ever done a body scan. Okay, in my facility, we have a three D a three D body scan, and most people it's a great tool if you utilize it right, because you can see exactly where you're gaining, where you're losing muscle, you know, fat or whatever it may be. But most people don't want to see it. People are what they are physically at that point in time. But something about facing the music. I don't want to look at it, right. I know, I know, I know, I know I need to lose something here, but I just don't want to look at it. That's what this is. Right, you have to see it because if I don't see it, I can't how can I address it? Right? So take it. Take the It's nasty as it tastes bad. It's gonna stand in your tongue for a little bit tea.
Speaker 10: It is.
Speaker 1: It's awful, right, but you need it. It's that Tousso it is that tuessom. You gotta take it. And then it's up to the coach and say, okay, cool, put this away, put this game away. We're not looking at this game no more. Right. But what we are gonna do is we're gonna do everything that we can in our power as a coaching staff to put together the best strategic game plan ever for the San Francisco forty nine ers. That's what we're gonna do. That's our promise to you. We're gonna we're gonna go back and we're gonna dissect everything that they're doing, and we're gonna use all these days the scouting departments already been looking, they've already been breaking down at the analytics of what the San Francisco forty nine ers are doing. We're gonna take that information. We're gonna rewatch our first six games and say, what the heck are they seeing that they're jumping a gun on us that we need to change up because they're they're they're they're olaying us right now, right offensively, Our concepts are being are being picked out. They see exactly what we're doing. We are. You have to look at it and say, from this formation, we run this same concept, even though we might be running a different way, they're still picking it up. Right, So what do I need to change? Right? What do I need to change about that? It's self is self scouting, right, That's why there's a whole scouting department that helps with that. You look at those things and you make the change. Boom. All right, now we're changing things that we're gonna do more twelve personnel. We're gonna do more of this. We're gonna run the same concess but I'm gonna run it out of a shift and then we're gonna motion and then defensively, guess what screw it? I know I typically run this, but now we're changing it up. We're gonna let me go back to last year? What what DQ do? All right? All right, that's not necessarily how what I believe in, But maybe lesten incorporate some of those things, because that's how you guys play. Y'all like to play fast and physical cool. I'm gonna put you in position to play more man to man. But if I put you in position to play a man to man, you better not get beat. Is if you get beat, I'm taking you out. So that accountability, those type of conversations have to be had, those man to man conversations because it's a room full of men. It's a room full of men. Professional professional, absolutely, and just because you're a professional doesn't mean that you act as a professional. So you need the leadership, right i e. The wisdom the coaching staff that they have put together that has a ton of wisdom over there, a ton to write the ship, to write the ship both from the players standpoint, former players that are now coaches and successful coaches that have been all the way in one Super bowls. You need that wisdom to show these guys the way. And once they get that and everybody can come to the table and say, hey, I'm own my own mess. Let's go out there now and it's going to attack the back half of the season. One part about looking in the mirror is you got to first make sure the mirror is clean and not fractured, because it kind of goes to the psychology of what IRIS is saying, as far as the body scan is concerned. Right, So, if you stand in front of the mirror but you're your view is skewed what you don't want the mirror to tell you, then you're not really looking at the reflection the right way. Okay, if the mirror has its cracks and it needs to be clean, you got a vinegar to that thing down, then you can't really trust what you're looking back. You have to go in to that mirror, in front of that mirror with complete openness and willingness to say, this is probably going to be the ugliest thing that looks back at me, but the only way I can fix it is to see it for exactly what it is.
Speaker 5: You can't clean.
Speaker 1: So yeah, long story short, don't stand in front of the year, don't stand in front of the mirror and lot to yourself.
Speaker 5: Yeah no, absolutely not all right, boys, we need to take our final break when we come back. Do we have enough time to get this thing the ship right it? Do we have enough time here in the bier week to change what the cowboys are doing at this point?
Speaker 1: Boys?
Speaker 5: Right back after this.
Speaker 3: Break, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 7: Five G requires campapal plan and device five G may not be available in your area. Seeatt dot com slash five G for U fifty.
Speaker 11: Das they say, champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agon Turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 1: Hey, y'all.
Speaker 9: Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetie dot Com. Check it out today. Yetti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: And we're going to overtime Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 10: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash Erica by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me. Very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for Qualit assurance message data rates. Additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 5: To talkin Cowboys, Welcome back to Talking Cowboys, presented by a black wrapple coffee. This segment is brought to you by Invisile Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys, Isaiah.
Speaker 1: With just trust I have teeth and smile. Just trust. I have teeth and they're the smile the glue. Today, teeth are straight, and it's partly thanks to in visi Line.
Speaker 5: So this guy clearly has never worked customer service. You know what I'm saying. I have, But you know, we all know a good fake smile.
Speaker 1: I don't hit him with the anime boys.
Speaker 5: We're gonna wrap up. No, it's not that kind of party. Uh not in that kind of mood. We're not in anime mood, guys.
Speaker 1: We're in a what depends on what anime your doug.
Speaker 5: We're bersark.
Speaker 1: We're working from there.
Speaker 5: From there we go, you know that reference?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 1: All right, moving on, I'm trying not to go full of Griffith.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, it's the bye week. Do we have time to get it right, and we need to be kind of quick on this one. But do we have enough time to to write the ship?
Speaker 1: Yes? You you got eleven games, so just speaking on time timeline wise, you got eleven games to write it. Will they don't know, have no clue. If they continue to play like they did yesterday, this season is going to be over before calendar flips to December first. But generally speaking, yeah, you got time. Your six games into a seventeen game regular season.
Speaker 5: If you drop one more l if you drop this next game, is there enough time?
Speaker 1: Well, we already hit the panic button, so if you drop this next game, then you're gonna start spiraling. And then I mean again, the time is the time. Right time is not subjective. You either have the time or you don't have the time. They do have the time, because it's eleven games, and then it's ten games, and it's nine games. But you asked me this question again in you know, mid November, when you're literally halfway through the season, and if if they have a losing record, I'll probably say no, you don't have enough time to get that back, especially depending on what happens with the Eagles and if the Commanders get back on their streak and you know, things like that. But as we talk right now, as much as this sucks, and it does suck, you still got a living games to figure it out. We're speaking in regards of this week, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there enough is there? Enough turnaround right now? For now? That's I liked the bigger picture.
Speaker 1: No, No, that's good.
Speaker 5: I like the bigger picture. What is your interpretation?
Speaker 1: There's enough. There's enough time this week to have some some heart to heart conversations. Then that's both from the from leadership right to the coaches. That's from the coaches down to the players, and the players need to have meetings amongst themselves. Yes, because as we sit here and talk about the whole identity thing, trust me, that conversation is being had. It's not just people on the outside. It's not just the media that conversations happening in the locker room as well. I've been on I've been on those teams, right, I've been on those teams, and those conversations happen. It's like somebody, we're having to come to Jesus moment, right he coaches, Can y'all go, Can y'all go out there for a minute? We needed. We need to meet real quick brothers. Right.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 1: I don't know who it is in that room that has that, that's that sparks that, but somebody in that room needs to say, Hey, whatever y'all have planned this week in terms of for your bye week, tell your wife sorry, to your girlfriends, sorry, tell you whoever sorry. We got work to do right, We have work to do right. I know we're supposed to be gone from Friday to Sunday, and you know, like we're working all the way. Didn't earn that? Hey, listen, do you but understand what we're going to be doing the rest of us that are trying to make sure that we get this sting on track. We have to sit here at this thing locked and it sucks. I know I wanted to go somewhere too. This is more important. This is more important. So that conversation has to be had amongst the players. The coaches are going to have those conversations amongst each other, because everybody has to look at each other. Everybody's gonna say, I'm not doing good enough, right, be real with me. Tell me if we if I sit up here and I suck, I would hope that in the break y'all would tell me that was trash, you know what I mean, Like like you have to have that account of Bill. You have to have that type of relationship where you can have those real conversations. And when you can have those real conversations, now we can have growth. Yeah, now we can have growth.
Speaker 5: You're taking the criticism right.
Speaker 1: You got to earn time off, just like you want that that slice the cake get in the gym. Yeah, you gotta earn it.
Speaker 5: Some iron, all right, boys. Uh, that'll be it for Talking Cowboys to preview the rest of the week. We're having fun here, all right. We didn't have fun on the field, so we're having fun here in the podcast. But this week we're gonna change it up. Tuesday Wednesday brand new.
Speaker 1: Uh just what is it Cruise.
Speaker 5: For the rest of the shows nine am Talking Cowboys, Kyle will be with Brian brought Us and Barry Church. Nine am Talking Cowboys. Storyline will be Nick Eatman. I mean that's that's not changing. I mean I kind of pitched storyline story that would be Chris storyline with Patrick Walker where he doesn't take any calls. He just whacked his poetic for an hour. He just talked to himself for an hour. Actually all right, eleven am with a break of course, it's Derek hosting with Nick Eatman again, a double double Nick shot with bon Joe Laughlin, and the podcasting debut of our Boy Tommy Yay Shouts the Tommy Brand New. Twelve pm you got Mixed Shots with Bill Jones, Mickey Spagnola and Kurt Daniels on mix Shots, followed by one pm Hanging with the Boys with Shannon Jazz Monett and Nick Harris of the Fort Worth Star Telegram and your Boy Josh the Josh Rodriguez a Film School University. And at two pm Players Lounges with Newie Jesse Everson and.
Speaker 1: Nate Noon the closing it out with the Bang.
Speaker 5: They're closing it out with Bang. Girls Talk, Boys Talk, Nicole Hutchison and bar Garcia heck Ma Harrison and that's all.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And you do this on Indigenal People's Day, of Indigenous People's Day, of all days to disrespect indigenous.
Speaker 5: We have fun here, all right, fan, thank you so much for joining us. We'll be back next week, but we uh talking coboys will be back tomorrow with Kyle. All right, boys, we'll see you later. Thank you so much for tuning in. Chris Beam, take us out.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of della Uscowboys dot com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.