Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Right with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us Votch Lombardi and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: Hello, guys, welcome back to another episode of the Break, presented by LG. And Derek is not here today. I heard watch Lombardi's name in the intro. That's the first time I hear it.
Speaker 7: Big Voice guy held us down today. I know it was on that last time, but last time I didn't hear. People came to me and say, yo, vat did you hear Big Voice guy say your name. It's like, no, You'll never let Big Voice guy say my name.
Speaker 2: Abby, Damn.
Speaker 4: Big Voice guy didn't say my name twice. I guess I'm part of the crew. Now.
Speaker 8: That's exciting goodness, I tell you what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rough little whistle, there we go.
Speaker 7: Don't hate Brian bro I'm sorry they've me.
Speaker 4: Saying your name for thirty years.
Speaker 2: So them with some f bombs behind my name.
Speaker 4: How to say it.
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 4: They've been saying Brian.
Speaker 2: Since nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 4: I don't know how to say nineteen ninety nine experis, but but thirty years for sure? Cowboys? Go ahead, please, I'm sorry, go ahead, Oh.
Speaker 9: Boy, Bucho Viejo right with that old We're just taking this show over, k Hody, let Ambar talk please?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 6: Well, before we do the one started, just wanted to give a shout out to Derek. He's not here today, but his baby boy is graduating.
Speaker 2: Congrats, Congrats, congrats.
Speaker 6: I can imagine he's being very emotional right now, but congratulations to him and his whole family. That's very exciting. And for today's show, I was telling much before we started that I have a set of questions that they're just kind of all over the place.
Speaker 8: Nothing new has really happened since.
Speaker 2: Last week Wheelhouse.
Speaker 6: It's nothing too crazy, honestly, But we're gonna start with the first one right now, looking at what the roster currently looks like. And I don't want to get too ahead of myself and talk about training camp, but why not, right sure, which position group currently has the most depth and which is the biggest concern heading into training camp.
Speaker 7: I think your offensive land room area again is pretty full. You know, we walked into you know, we walked into the off season thinking that a couple of people were gonna getting a lot of reps and that person was a starter listed as a starter, and the Cowboys made a Hugh Mugs move in a draft to kind of mitigate that. So now you have starter level backup guys, and they may not be guys that you wanted to be started for seventeen eighteen games, but starting for seven games, eight games, nine games, we know that.
Speaker 4: They can do that.
Speaker 7: Plus, there was just this group of guys that were just signed how came Identergy and you know Charles that came out of retirement. So you know, there's a gang of offensive line here. So if you're talking about real competition, a lot of those guys maybe not at the top of the old line room, but the bottom of the room is definitely gonna be, you know, fighting for their life.
Speaker 3: Watch real quick on the depth of that offensive line though, Yes, sir, and you mentioned some guys coming like retirement guys and guys that are kind of being bouncing around the league. But do you feel like there's somebody out of that backup group that is going to emerge as one of the ten the weekly maybe at ninth or tenth guy that we're gonna talk about, Oh man, this is our swing tackle, this is our swing We kind of think like Hoffmen and guys like that.
Speaker 2: One of those guys that they've.
Speaker 3: Brought in, Jones, some of those guys gonna be a a vital piece.
Speaker 4: Is gonna have to be a tackle. Brian.
Speaker 7: I don't I don't see this world where somebody takes big Tyler's job or Booker's job, or you know, BB's done his job at center guy, and we know who Brock is. But if there's any question mark, if there's any question mark on his offensive line right now, it's your left tackle.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 7: I think Tyler Guiden will be fine. He just needs, you know, he just needs to get a little bigger and strong. And we saw him a little bigger and a little strong. We got a little more time for him to lift some weights and stronger, eat some peanut butter. But we got to see got to.
Speaker 2: See crustables need to come into play real fast. Right.
Speaker 7: But you know, if you just lay it all out, I don't see a world where Sadiq Charles is taking Tyler either either Tyler's job right, But what if Austin Richards has a rediction.
Speaker 3: That's what I want to talk about there, And I know Ambart's a great question, but I want to talk about I want to talk about Austome Richards stuff. I think it's about time for Awesome Richards to step up really and all of a sudden, we've noticed him at camps before, a g You and I we've all there, We've all stood out there and like, oh, look at Awesome Richards. That one on one rep. That's pretty good there. Oh you know what I'm saying, you'll get a chance. You get yet you're the show. Yeah, get ready to get there. But to me, that's what I'm saying, if all of a sudden, Awesome Richard shows up as a guy that's really seriously competing at the left tackle spot, huge win, huge win for the Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Now, how Bryant, how good does Austome Richards have to be to seat Tyler Guide? Because they're gonna give Guide every opportunity to the job. However, we saw Tyler Guid and got a little healthy last year and was still taking.
Speaker 2: Coaches fighting for their jobs.
Speaker 3: Coaches fighting for their jobs there, that's a hey, we have to we have to win, we have to cover, we have to do They were they weren't going to they they weren't going to play that kid. It's a shame did it all went down that way? But you had coaches fighting for their jobs that that wasn't gonna happen.
Speaker 7: So whether it be guided playing poorly or if Awesome Richards just emerges, right, that's that's really how good does Auesome Riches have to be in order for us to go all?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 7: That was the previous playing Awesome Richards is killing it right now like a like a Dak Prescott, Tony Romo. We can't deny a young kid anymore. How good does awesome have to be?
Speaker 6: I think it comes down personally For me, it comes down to consistency. Can you consistently be good? Because I think he's shown traits of being good and what he could be. But to me what I've seen, it just hasn't been consistent. Now that has to do with how much opportunities, how much playing time do they give him? And you already talked about that. What was happening last year. But I think if you can consistently show up, that's something that is very valuable, especially especially in the O line, that's something that you really need to have from somebody. So that's number one. Yeah, bullet point for me. How consistent are you?
Speaker 7: What's kind of happened with Bass and all those guys and Nathan Thomas and those guys.
Speaker 4: What's gonna happen to see the.
Speaker 3: Nathan Thomas one? We don't really know about there. My hope is that Nathan Thomas is a guard. You know, we always talk about in college football the red shirt where you don't you know, you maintain your eligibility, but you don't play that year.
Speaker 2: What you do then is you go into the weight room, you do all these things.
Speaker 3: Hopefully's the diet, the meals, working with you know, the extra work that he's getting with the strength coaches and you know, the trainers and stuff like that. Hopefully he comes back as a different guy that way, because we once he got to camp, it's like it was just very very brief. Oh he's over on field too, he's overdoing this, he's overdoing you know, we didn't get to see that player that we maybe thought that came out of Louisiana when they drafted him.
Speaker 2: So my hope is that all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: He's competing with Hoffman, He's competing with bass. I think Hoffman's on this team because I think he's your backup center. So that's where now everybodybody else, I think is free game. If I could circle back though about with about with what's going on with Geyton, I think Giton is going to have more rope than than than maybe anybody else that competes with him at that spot. You know, I really really really do, because I think that they want him to be that guy. I think they I think they really really want to see and maybe that's something with Jerry and Steven and Will ask Brian Schottenheimer, Hey, find ways to get some of these guys involved that we drafted. And I think there's going to be times where all of a sudden we're looking at Geyton and we're saying, whoa good repod, Oh that was a bad rep. Oh that was another bad rep. I think he's going to have some rope here, but I would love to see some competition over there, and if the best guy wins, let that be the case.
Speaker 6: Also, that's the nature of when you're drafted in the first round. Sure rope is going to be a little longer than so it's going to be an interesting Smith petition there as it was kinda it's kind of.
Speaker 4: Trust more trust.
Speaker 7: We can feel this whole saving watch this, Uh, ladies and gentlemen, Brian bro bar Garcia, if I could just name another unit that's kind of packed up in there, and I think it's gonna bring a little bit of controversy come camp times.
Speaker 4: Those edges. You know you you you you draft a guy. Micha is a guy.
Speaker 7: Dante Fowler is a guy that was here and he wasn't really you know, he wasn't really utilized properly. Confusing he goes to Washington Football Wizards.
Speaker 2: The football Wizards, we've learned about.
Speaker 7: Double digit sack guy. I imagine he's gonna come back here and he'll be used as a double digit sack guy. Marshawn Kneeling, young guy, Peyton Turner. It's probably gon be like a rundown guy for you. What does this leave Sam Williams. That's why I'm asking you, guys, where does this leave Sam Williams? In this this room full of full of edge guys, full of past rush. And you can only rotate and and and bring so many of those guys.
Speaker 4: To the bus. What about what about edge? Do we do?
Speaker 2: We do?
Speaker 4: We do?
Speaker 7: We lose somebody that we didn't think woul that we didn't think that we would lose.
Speaker 3: Right, I wonder how much rope that Sam Williams has. See That's the thing about it is with Sam. And I'm sure there's people watching this right now and saying, hey, brought us you cut Sam Williams.
Speaker 2: He will be on someone's roster, you know, blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: We saw it with Randy Gregory, Yeah we saw you know. That's exactly right. Guy's got a lot of talent. But Ambar says, how about some consistency, Give me some consistency, you know, go out there. There's times where he's flashed. That's what scarre scouts to death. So all of a sudden you see this flash player and you're like going, whoa wait a minute, this guy and then you know, kind of disappears. This is a big year for Sam Williams because there's guys now that had been drafted by previous regimes that are no longer here and you don't have that. And I've sat in a lot of those personnel meetings, you know in the summertime where the coach is like, oh, we've got to have this guy. Well, coach, he's not, well, go we got. We can't play without this guy we get, you know, and now, so I think Sam Williams is kind of in that category right now where he must step up. And people again are out there, I guarantee you, oh yeah, I just kind of brought us. He'll be on somebody else's team and he'll be doing something else, are they right, Ambar.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I think that's the consensus and a lot of people that watched that. But I think Sam Williams, obviously his injury came at a really bad time for him, terrible, terrible time, and he.
Speaker 2: Was might not a way got valor if if you had a guy like that and.
Speaker 8: He was ascending.
Speaker 6: But at the same time, something that I think he embodies what the Cowboys look for in a guy that represents the star. And this goes beyond the field. What you don't see, it happens behind the scenes. He's a guy that has been showing up consistently last year, even though he wasn't on the field and he was recovering, he was always there. He was always and I say always quote unquote, but every time I saw a community event, who was there showing up Sam Williams showing Oh.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to take this another way?
Speaker 8: What way?
Speaker 3: I thought you were gonna take this in the way that he likes to drive fast and cause problems time because.
Speaker 8: For something that happened.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, I'm just saying I thought you were gonna say, well, we don't.
Speaker 4: Really get quick.
Speaker 8: He has learned from that experience.
Speaker 3: I think when I got a race team, I'd love saying first one.
Speaker 8: I think it's changed and he has improved.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see what you're doing here. I see what you're doing.
Speaker 8: That happens since that incident.
Speaker 2: Will effects playing a good way?
Speaker 6: Will effect Think that again, if you are committed into showing up to the recovery and the training and with those coaches and training and doing everything that you need to do to get back onto the field, it's.
Speaker 8: Going to show up on the field.
Speaker 6: Now, penalties and all that crazy stuff that has happened. As far as discipline, I think he's a motivated guy, and I'm rooting for him right now.
Speaker 7: This team has has shown you that they have a hard work and wire receiving a hard working right guard. And both those guys got bumped down by better dudes. Shout out of saying I'll we make it because look, we need you, we need you player. But uh boy, it's some It's some guys in that room. And if I had to think about what my NASCAR pass Rushie packager look like, it'll it'll be Micro over there. It'll be Dancy or Michael roaming around somewhere, Dante over there, Donovan'll be getting some os. Is probably gonna be in the middle of somewhere Overshawn when he's healthy, he's blitzing from somewhere. It's gonna be hard to take somebody off the field, but we'll see.
Speaker 8: We'll see special teams you need to get.
Speaker 2: That's you got hurt.
Speaker 6: Moving all right, let's go ahead and take our first break. When we come back, we'll continue this conversation and how the roster is currently looking like here with the Cowboys.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jogging the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the Big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stewy T and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 2: See atd dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals. It's the official men's skincare.
Speaker 11: Brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: Don't put off getting your oil change. Dallas Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives, stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations.
Speaker 2: Across the Dallas area.
Speaker 10: And remember at Take five you.
Speaker 12: Stay in your car because they're faster. You think that means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: From the field to the festivities. Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Starn Frisco or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 14: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store?
Speaker 2: Letter Rip Troy all Right folks.
Speaker 15: Let's get started with Yeti French Press and Joe Calvery This Day's Hot for Hours and French Press thirty four. As for U six four for the cruise of Yetty French Press. What mixed waterproof bags, bags of waterproof some ersa wa waterproof, Devil's waterprove bag bagsports mostly waters to get a waterprove Yeti bagg glass Smell something cooking, new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipites. Take a steak, cornback, cobberce pot pyext o well three size of the Yetti casht iron.
Speaker 14: Scalers, gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 16: Today.
Speaker 17: Back to the break, LGO led Evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for Digital Trends said that the lgoled G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen. See it for yourself at LG dot com O Ledevo.
Speaker 6: Hey, that was better than the last time you did it at training camp.
Speaker 2: Well, I've taken like medicine now to help me with my words.
Speaker 6: Welcome back to the second segment. This segment is presented by blockchain dot Com. Hey, there we go, all right, next question for you guys to read it slow.
Speaker 8: It was good. Thank you for that. Appreciate you.
Speaker 6: What does the current roster suggest about the Cowboys launch and vision? Are they building for twenty twenty five playoff, push or laying the groundwork for twenty twenty six again looking at a lot of young talent that they've brought in.
Speaker 2: I know what he's going to say, but go ahead, I gotta leave it off. I go ahead, No, go ahead, Well, I mean so polite.
Speaker 7: Well, if you're drafting a guard, I'm gonna agree with what he says. If you're if you're drafting a guard and a you know, like a young pass rusher and a running back, that would make me think that they're looking for the future. But you you you rolling some dice, yeah on this pickings thing, you know, and they value third round picks like some teams value first round picks. So if you want to give that thing away just to have another dude up in here, I think that says a lot about what they're trying to do right now. I feel like as long as you have four, you're in the fight somehow, like like Dak is you know, he's here, he's healthy. You're in the playoff situation somehow. So from there, if you're trying to win this year, it's your job to to give him what he needs. And it's been a while since Dak has had everything that he needs. Or just think about how the Eagles run things, right, if Dak had one of those type you know, deals or whatever, We're just constantly filling their roster up. The Eagles show you how urgent they are to win championships, and they win championships, right, So this Saquon Barkley move and them may be a George Pickens move for like just this top tier player, and we're giving up all of our resource for it. They didn't do that, but we give up all just this third round pick that the Cowboys love.
Speaker 4: To go get George Pickens. I was shocked by this.
Speaker 7: And he's on the last deal of his the last year of his deal. Yeah, the Cowboys shooting the dice on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're absolutely right, my friend.
Speaker 3: That's a situation where too, you know, even look at what they're doing on the defensive side of the ball. With the addition of the linebackers, you know, the defensive line, the guys that they've added there. You know, they've added veteran guys, a couple of guys on some one year deals. Heck, we just talked about Fouler, you know. I mean they've added some guys to try and make a run right now and be competitive. I don't look at it as band aid type moves, but I kind of look at it as like, you know, sometimes you go bottom fishing, and it's like you get what you get. You get some trash fish on your hook.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think the Cowboys they had a plan for what they wanted to do to trading wise. I think the fact that they stayed aggressive even after the draft, that's big. Going after George Pickens. You know, they said, you know, they saw a situation George Pickens probably not fitting in with what the.
Speaker 2: Steelers are doing.
Speaker 3: The fact that they even talked about Bateman from the Ravens that's a second round pick, but he wanted more money and stuff like that. So they they're trying right now. The right guard helps the quarterback. The young running back helps the quarterback because he might be the future guy. When this is all said, and done. But look at the things that they were able to do with the wide receiver. That might be a one year rental for a third round pick. That's an aggressive move right there. Defensively, Like I said, they've added a lot of some veteran guys over to that side of the ball. This is not really a long term thing involved. This is more about playing for now.
Speaker 4: Ah, brother, let me ask you something.
Speaker 7: You remember a couple of days ago, Shottenheimer did his you know, press conference or whatnot, and they was like, hey, Shotty, what win to the Pickings thing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 7: And Shotty was like, oh, yeah, we did a ton of research and we felt good and we all talked about it, and we all got together as a great big family, talked about George Pickens pulled the trigger. Now he's here. Comparing contrast that to when Mike McCarthy was on the radio one O five three and asked him about Trey Lance and Mike and Mike was like, I didn't even know that they were trade for Trey Lance. Trey Lance just happened to pop up on my doorstep. Nobody asked me about the quarterback situation or what I thought about backup at all.
Speaker 4: Just Trey Lance is here.
Speaker 7: Now what do you think about the differences in those two situations? Who like does one have more power than the other or was Mike McCarthy just not interested in team in team building when Schottenheimer is Dan Quinn when he needed help, happening to get all the help that he wants. So now we're here Schottenheimer Draft day, Bryant tapping on the board, fighting for his guys. Right, he has a saying what's going on? He gets these guys. Mike McCarty, Oh, yeah, it doesn't matter who you pick, got X, Y, Z and bar.
Speaker 4: What do you say about what I just said?
Speaker 6: Well, again, looking back at that first press conference that where the Cowboys were introducing Schottenheimer as a new head coach and something that they talked about and that Jerry Jones mentioned that he gained a lot of respect from Brian because times where he knew when to keep his mouth ghost. Yeah, but that didn't mean he wasn't aware of what was happening, and when the time came, he let it all out and talked and really voiced his opinion. I think that just it instilled a lot of respect and it gained a lot of power. He was able to gain power, and again, when you start talking to him and listening to him, you started just buying what he's selling and falling for what he's doing. And this is just a difference of personality. It's not to say that Mike McCarthy wasn't respected here and that the Cowboys were, you know, paying attention to what he was trying to do, because they did a lot to kind of let him do his thing. Obviously, there were times where you had question mark, like the running back position, there were a lot of question marks what was happening there in some of the decisions that were taken with that position specifically. But Shottenheimer, even though he doesn't have the experience, what he's doing, is very magical in the way that he's been able to gain so much power here and to be listening is especially during the draft, making those decisions. So it just goes back to saying, it seems like everybody gets along and everybody is on the same page and in tune, and there's no those random oh wait, what y'all did that? Yeah, I didn't know about it first time hearing about it. So everyone seems to be in sync with this and he goes back to the new culture that he's trying to put here with the team.
Speaker 7: I just think it's interesting because you know, fans will get on social media and fuss and look, I'm fans also, I'll go out there and fuss like one of the Jones is doing anything. I wonder if Mike was just one of these guys like, hey, just give me the guys and I'll just coach w whatever that you that you get for me, right. But I wonder if the Joneses this whole time, they just had this checkbook waiting, waiting for Mia McCarthy and he just didn't use it. Schottenheimer, twenty days on the job, goes, hey, man, some gotta happen here, here, here, here, here, And now we see stuff happening. And this has been one of the more active offseas that we've had. I just wonder if that's because of the head coach.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's not afraid to speak and walk around and say hey, I want this or I want that and voice it. And I think when you walk around with confidence, it just it changes the environment that you're starting to create around you. So I'm excited to continue to see what all they're building here. Next question for you guys, which undrafted and we haven't really talked about undrafted free agents on this show, but which undrafted free agent or late round pick has the best chance in again ahead of ourselves because we haven't seen real practice, but who has the best chance of making the fifty three man roster?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: Do I need to go into my film? MafA? Well, no, it's I'm saying though, but late draft pick?
Speaker 2: Right? Is that? Was that the question?
Speaker 8: Late draft pick?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I know you're going to say the Auburn tight end. I know what you're gonna do there. I'll let you explain that one. Uh, the I could say I'm interested in Vatch and I were doing our show last night and we were talking about this. I want to be really, really really wrong about film MafA. I want to be wrong about him. And I'm saying this right now in a way of I'm intrigued by what the cowboys are going to see in this guy, because me personally, I know when we were doing work on the Draft show, there was guys like Alan from you know, Syracuse, Crosskey, Merrit from the from New Mexico, Arizona, U the colleges and you know, and then Crossky Merrit gets selected right after MafA does, and so now you're like going, WHOA, And I know Vatch was on cross Ky Merrick. So now you've got somebody in the division. And if he turns out to be and an early indication reports are like people are like, whoa, they got this late round guy. So I'm interested ambar and and and and I'm interested if MafA is going to come in and look better than Williams and Sanders and can he pair with Blue? That's that because they they have done something there that I personally wouldn't have done. But that's them, and that's good. That's that's their jobs to do that if they pull this off where all of a sudden, film MafA comes in here and is a physical running back that's you know, getting tough yards. And then and you know, maybe they're looking at more of the inside game stuff too. When you draft a guy like Booker, maybe they've come in and evaluated. Maybe we're not gonna see as much of pinning polls and things that we talked about. Maybe it's going to be about combo blocks and deuce blocks and second level blocks and those kinds of things. You know, maybe that element of getting the ball on the edge is going to turn into Blue being on the edge. But if Phil Moffa comes in and shows in training camp he's that tough kind of a runner that we saw a little bit at Clemson. Man, tip of the cap to them, because I personally would have gone a couple of different directions there other than him.
Speaker 2: I'd love to be proven wrong about that.
Speaker 4: One as far as mine.
Speaker 7: You know Brown, we already talked about this back and forth about this, you know fair Weather from Auburn.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, tight end. Sometimes it's not about how good.
Speaker 2: Your quarterback player was all over the place. They're terrible, terrible.
Speaker 7: Sometimes it's not about how how good you are versus the whole team. Right, he may be the seventy something best player on his team, it doesn't matter. It's about his room and his role in that room. That's why I think it's going to give him an easier route to the team or whatnot. Right, Because if you're a let's say you're a pass rush, you gotta go against the three other pass rushers. There's Michael Parsons is there, Donovan is there, Dante. It's tough for a young pass rusher to come in and take pass rush reps. Not only is tight end easier small room, but the tight end room is broken down into rolls, right like Jake's the one guy that is what it is. Then you got these blocking tight ends. So Luke and Brevin are kind of fighting each other. But then there's like this jump ball, red zone guy, catch, radious guy, vertical guy, seam guy, John Stevens, who.
Speaker 9: We thought John Stevens was John Stevens, and we were ready to give that to John Stevens absolutely. You know, previously it'll be like hendershot of something. He'll be the downfield kind of guy.
Speaker 7: But John Stevens torn a cl and then he tore it again, or tore the same or just tore two different al I don't know. He's coming off a cl right now. So if you're fair Weather, you don't have to be better than Ferguson or Luke or Dak Prescott. You just got to beat John Stevens, yeah, coming off ACL new coaches, whatever, whatever. And they're the same kind of guy, that same vertical downhill guy. So if you're Fairweather, just make a couple more plays, just don't drop pass us If John Stevens isn't blocking all that well? Man, Let me come in there and block some special teams is very important for that section of the roster. Go out there and tackle somebody, and I think that's the air quote easiest route. There's no easy route to this thing. Everybody's gonna have to fight for their life out there. But I think typically tight ends are kind of raised by four like Dak makes these guys you know, as good or as bad as who they are. So just imagine Fairweather go out there making plays, jumping over people. Dak's high point and he's jumping up and getting over people. Farewell's gonna have a great argument to.
Speaker 2: Make this team.
Speaker 6: It'll be a fun training camp for sure. Let's go ahead and take our final break, and when we come back, will continue discussing some of these position battles that we are expected to watch during training camp.
Speaker 14: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg Oldevo TV.
Speaker 4: That's because everything.
Speaker 14: You see is more lifelike, every play, every hit, I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 14: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels, no one comes close. Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash oldevo.
Speaker 16: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 18: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold. Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 4: The wins will be even taste here.
Speaker 2: It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 14: And we're going to overtime Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 5: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required dowloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for qualit assurance, Message data raise and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah event. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 14: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 2: Back to the break at and T connecting changes everything everything better.
Speaker 8: Fake, I'll tell you what incredibly.
Speaker 2: And get some yetties while you're at it too. They're on this list.
Speaker 8: Alright, guys.
Speaker 6: Next question for y'all, which position battle should fans watch most closely?
Speaker 8: In camp?
Speaker 6: Corner, running back or swim tackle which would already?
Speaker 7: So let me ask you this, how are you wording battle? For example, this is what I've been talking about, right, If Tyler Booker is in a battle, do you mean the Booker of the battle that he's having with Hoffman or the battle that he's having with Masi or something like like? Which like which battle we're talking about? You won't think about it.
Speaker 6: You're going to the script to me, Okay, I No, I'm thinking in general, because I'm thinking, Okay, is anybody actually set one hundred percent? Even when you look at Corner for example, sure.
Speaker 8: No, no, even though he's a starter, right.
Speaker 6: So it's still like I think all of these positions have question marks around them.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, if that's the case, Corner is definitely the room that's that's fighting the most. We have a room full of outside guys.
Speaker 2: We don't really have a whole person Butler.
Speaker 7: You know, so so you know, and and everybody's knee is hurting. So not only are they, you know, fighting to be better, but they fighting and get healthy first. So that's that's gonna be kind of an issue there. Besides that, I mean, I don't really have a good idea of who your first three corners are, Like, yeah, they're fighting for their spot, but who are those guys going to be? Because I don't even know when the like even even Revel, right, Revel may be cleared and good to go, but is he going to be the Revel that we watched on film last year?
Speaker 4: Bryan?
Speaker 2: So it trust.
Speaker 4: Durron, Bland and Elam are are probably.
Speaker 8: The contract year for him, right for sure?
Speaker 4: For sure?
Speaker 7: So Bland, Elam and Kayln Carson. If Bland is your best guy, do you just throw him in the nickel?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 7: If Bland is cornerback one, does he travel and then you kind of move those other guys around. I think it's a weird little a weird little battle.
Speaker 4: With a corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Butler's too, I think I think you have to include Josh Butler in that group too.
Speaker 4: Is he healthy? What is he going to back?
Speaker 2: I think he's he's healthy.
Speaker 3: I think that to me, Like I say, he'll be a part of the part of the I need to I do need to check on him. I'm interested to see what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: It's safety And I say that in a in a way.
Speaker 3: Of because the previous regime man really really liked Wilson and Hooker, and so now where does this regime stand when it comes to Thomas and Butler?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And a guy that I almost mentioned is a rookie ambar that maybe a guy that Elijah Clark, you know, the safety from Syracuse. He was a guy that when if you watch him play and if you if you just go on, how much signing bonus the Cowboys gave to these undrafted rookies, he was a top dog. And last you saw last year where span Ford was, he was the top dog. So they think enough of this kid. My gut feeling is this guy probably sat Clark sat pretty high on their draft board.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So if that's the case, sat high on draft board, he got a sizable bonus. Is he competing with Is he trying to knock Thomas out? Who got money? Is he trying to knock Bell out? Who got money? Are they trying to knock Wilson out? Who would be cap savings if you knock him out?
Speaker 4: You know that's important.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I always you know, Mickey would always say follow the money.
Speaker 2: In this case, you might follow the money.
Speaker 3: But but I think there's going to be some legitimate competition at the safety spot depending on how guys. I don't think it's I don't think you could put it in pen that Wilson and Hooker are going to be the starters when you open on Thursday night in Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: Brian Bros.
Speaker 7: Do you think does Brian brod Us think that if Mark He's Bell outplays Donovan Wilson?
Speaker 2: I would hope he, I would hope.
Speaker 4: What does Brian Bros Think?
Speaker 2: Because no, No, hope is hope is terrible plan. Hope is a terrible plan. A lot of hope.
Speaker 7: If Mark he's Bell, goes out there, tears it up, whoops it. Yes, he's covering better. Sure does he get the toms?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 3: Sure, absolutely, I'll say it because I I do believe. I do believe that Thomas Bell, Clark Clark being new.
Speaker 2: I think it's there's a fresh approach now.
Speaker 3: I talked to Mike Zimmer for a long time before, you know, before training camp and when we're out there in ox Start, and he was talking about he was saying.
Speaker 2: You know, I really like Wilson, I really like you know Hooker.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, And I said, well, I need to keep my down mouth shut because I was always trying to replace Hooker, you know. And then so but I just kind of feel like Bell and Thomas have to feel like they caught a break here with a new new coaching staff, especially new coaches in the secondary.
Speaker 7: There was a lot of times last year or a year before where we'll be having trouble from a coverage you know, and you and you play safety like coverage is what you do. And Cowboy Nation, Cowboy fans were just sitting around tapping a watch, going, man, when are we gonna try something different?
Speaker 2: Oh? No, it hadn't always been that way. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I took an ass kicking from fans about Hooker and then he got extended and.
Speaker 2: Like, oh see what you think, bro? You know, and then then then we get the well he's not playing very well right now, you know, And I'm like, okay, tell him you was right brow, No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: That's not the idea is. The idea is though, that you try and get ahead of that, you try and get ahead of paying a guy, and then all of a sudden and it doesn't work out. You could say that right now about Wilson. It just hasn't worked out. Like you know, the Cowboys started with guy's super tough, he's super physical.
Speaker 2: But you know, you have to play with instincts.
Speaker 3: You have to be able to tackle well, and you can't make mistakes and if they put you in coverage, you can't get it exposed.
Speaker 2: These are things you.
Speaker 3: Have to kind of think about when you're when you're talking about safety play well, I hope they get a fair shake.
Speaker 8: Then, bro, what are people saying in the chat?
Speaker 7: Uh that that they're having that, they're having buffering issues.
Speaker 4: So y'all watch them.
Speaker 2: Get better equipment. Yeah, get better equipment.
Speaker 4: You have to watch the podcast.
Speaker 6: Oh we gotta pay for y'all salary here, ay me first, and then.
Speaker 4: Go and get you get you down white, go ahead, please?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 6: You mentioned MICHAEH. Parsons earlier and about moving him around a lot. Is it smarter to keep him full time rushing or moving him around like a chess piece.
Speaker 7: Well, we've been fighting this fight since we found out that Micah can can pass rush, you know. And uh, some coaches will tell you the coaching philosophical reasons why you shouldn't move him around. And then we'll play Cleveland and Miles Garrett is just stepping walking over your center and you go, damn boy, showed be nice and we can do some of that now.
Speaker 16: T J.
Speaker 7: Watt doesn't move. He plays on his side. But when you see Miles Garrett just floating around, you just get jealous. Right, So, I think when Michael got most of his sacks, it was him hovering over a gap and b gap. That's when he really got got busy. Something we called on YouTube, find the scrubs.
Speaker 4: What we call it right.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: And something that will bother me is we'll go play the Giants and we'll just line michaeh over Andrew Thomas all pro Andrew Thomas the whole game. It'll make me sick. And look, Michael got sacks on Andrew Thomas. But boy, imagine how many sacks you can get on John Michael Smith if you just line them up over there. So I do think you have to think about the the the you know, base of your defense being you know solid, and we're not gonna move him so much that he's getting washed out of these plays. But it just gives the other side one more, one more thing to think about if Micah's all over the places as opposed to I don't have to look.
Speaker 4: I just know he's right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why don't you find a way? And this is choice. I used to say this, you know what, what's coaching? What's what's coaching?
Speaker 2: Wait? Paid these guys, we wait what's coaching for? See?
Speaker 3: To me, this is where to me moving Mike around and even pairing finding him not I agree with wauch about, hey, find the weakest link on that offensive line and just let it try, but try and do your best to set it up where it's one on one where that weak link can't get help. You know, you move him around, but also pair him with other guys that can pass rush. There's nothing wrong with putting him with Osa and you get a pick and a twist. There's nothing wrong with putting him on the same side with Fouler and making them have to deal with two guys. You know, all of a sudden, Wow, they've got two legitimate rushers on the outside here. There's nothing wrong with standing him up and letting him run right through the B gap and making a back and if they know a team is going to be very reliant on a running back with Blitz pickup help and putting Mike on that back and getting that one on one matchup.
Speaker 2: It might happen one or twice, one.
Speaker 3: Or two times a game, but maybe it's one or two sacks you get in a game, and maybe that's the difference in the game. So yes, move him around, find favorable matchups, but also pair him with other linemen that can that can cause problems and make teams have to deal with blocking two guys to the same side.
Speaker 7: Well, Brian Brosley Man ask you is is this the first time Mica has had like a real running mate from from a past rush standpoint, right, like like tank Tank Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Hank started going down.
Speaker 7: He's always been a great rundown, but he's never been It's been a long time, a long time since double digit sack is double digit sack. Michael hasn't had a double digit sack running mate. Well, we got Dante foul who's a double digit sack guy. Now, you know, Donovan is gonna be a help. He's a ricket. We can't expect too much out of him, and you know, also we'll just hope that we can get some good pass rush from him from b gap, Is is this the best crew of past rush running mates maybe not run stopping but pass rush running mates that Michaels has since he been here?
Speaker 2: Kind of feel like.
Speaker 8: I know, thanks, don't hurt yourself, buddy.
Speaker 2: Oh he does that all the time. I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't even say because when you say, oh, that's a great question, you're installing to try and figure things something.
Speaker 8: To influence his opinion.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just want to know what thought. I just thought it was a genuinely good question, and both of you guys.
Speaker 2: What about that?
Speaker 3: What about some of his sixteen sack seasons? Though when it was Fowler and Parts, Yeah it was.
Speaker 7: It was more so a bunch of guys like Michael would get his sex.
Speaker 4: But but they didn't. You didn't, You didn't.
Speaker 7: You didn't think of Darence Armstrong as a sack guy. You didn't think as a sack guy. You got sack guys. Now that's asking is this his best group of set guy? I don't know what the run defense is gonna look like. I hope eber Flu's got some magic. Does he can just spring along everybody and just run game?
Speaker 9: Just I think I think that dealt with I think that's gonna come down Overshown was going to be a pass rusher for see that.
Speaker 7: Apparently Shamar James is gonna be a pass ords. Is this the best group of past?
Speaker 3: See that's the thing with Tjamar James that we saw at at Florida. We were worried about. And we're not getting to see every single practice. You know, once a week you get to see a practice. Maybe the other practices he's messing up things. But it sounds like to me he didn't play with a lot of instincts at Florida. So what you say, put them as a will linebacker, let them rush, So maybe that's something.
Speaker 2: That you need to do.
Speaker 3: I think overall, if you look at potentially with Osa being a pass rusher Parsons, as we've mentioned, I think that even you know, I think that it's kind of we'll see, you know, with the Fowlers obviously going to give you give you some stuff there. I don't know if it's the best group he's played with.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: What the difference is, I think is that going into it, you you in your mind kind of know what to expect based on their previous experience, as opposed to the previous group. Not from last year, but like a couple of years before you didn't know what to expect, but then they were shining and make it happen. That's the difference. It's like one is you have guys that has shown it before versus the others that it just kind of happened without you necessarily respecting me.
Speaker 4: Doris Armstrong getting nine sex wasn't on anybody.
Speaker 2: Okay, see that's it. As Araco be that guy. I mean that that to me.
Speaker 3: If you want to ask me that question, and I'm thinking about Okay Faller as Roku, I'm thinking about these guys.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking but we don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've seen him at the collegiate level have huge success.
Speaker 7: So now is Donovan as the third pass rusher and if you're let's say you're doubling Michael or Michael has some actual attention that now Donovan is Aroku gets the better looks, the better one on one looks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if Eiraku could be a factor as a pass rusher with Fowler, maybe we'll see with Sam Williams how that all plays out and stuff like that. But you know, if you if if Israku then shows up, like you know, we think that he all might, then I would say, yeah, but we'll have to see Ezerako be that guy.
Speaker 7: One last point too, is I know Ambarre ready to get up out of here. One last point is I'm a person if this offense scores the way that it that it should and the defense against so many more opportunities to.
Speaker 3: That's that's yeah, that's the key. You You've got to find a way that you can't be in. I didn't want to say that.
Speaker 4: What else is there to say?
Speaker 2: That you think you think you know long reach bottom.
Speaker 8: You're gonna have to ice dot arm.
Speaker 4: Appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Please well, thank you guys so much, Thank you watch. Thank you Brian for always having a lovely energy. Shout outs to Derek and his family again, thank you guys so much for watching for Botch Lombardy.
Speaker 8: Brian brad Us a member.
Speaker 6: You're see how this has been the break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com slash Radio Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.