Speaker 1: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: What is up Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield, and welcome back, Welcome back, welcome back.
Speaker 1: It is here. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: The golf clubs are in the garage, the beach chairs are packed away, and it's time to get back to work football season.
Speaker 1: We have practice later this week.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be on that camp grind starting on Wednesday, but first to preview podcast Defense tomorrow.
Speaker 1: But beginning today, we're doing the.
Speaker 2: Entire offense, player by player, position by position, spelling it all out for you, providing a guide to training camp. Put this on on your way to Dolphins camp. Let's watch these guys get better and tune it up for the twenty twenty five Miami Dolphins season, the sixtieth in franchise history. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex, this is the Draft Time Podcast. Hey guys, welcome back. In the last time I taped a podcast was quite frankly, I don't know, it's been a while. I do feel refreshed, I feel invigorated, and quite frankly, I am just jazzed up for football. I tend to be a little bit more excited when I feel the national narrative is off on this team, and this year I feel it is. I thought last year was pretty much on the no some concern, but still some belief the team could be a double digit win team, you know, under the guidance of Tua Tongua Vailoa, even with all the change in turnover. But he gets hurt and you know they don't meet that expectation. In twenty twenty three, everybody was loving us and for good reason. Twenty two there was some hope and height, but still a question about Cantua maximize Tyreek and all that stuff. But this year it feels as though the narrative is this team is downtrodden, past the window to K of the roster, and on and on and on, and I just don't see it that way. I saw this tweet that was funny to me from someone the other day who said, well, this team isn't that much different. It comes down to Tua playing. But even last year when we were without two for six and a half games, we win eight and nine facing a murderer's row of quarterbacks. This year, it's not nearly the same. In terms of the quarterbacks. We're not gonna go anywhere, but we could still maybe win eight games. Now, I agree with all of that until the m Night Shyamalan level twist at the very end, because like, all those facts are true, But then to say eight and nine, that doesn't compute to me, because if you get the quarterback healthy and you face the slew of quarterbacks, you know, in fact, let's go ahead and talk about that, that slew of quarterbacks before that Ravens Bills Commander stretch, which is going to be where I think teams or people's opinions on this team are going to be formed this season. Here's the quarterbacks we face before Lamar Allen and Jayden Daniels, Daniel Jones. Most likely it could be Anthony Richardson. You know, gold Jackie Green Jacket, Drake may at Buffalo is basically a scheduled lost every single year on a Thursday night in Buffalo. It feels like that's even more so if that but finding a win there be a pure bonus. But Daniel Jones, Drake Maye, Josh Allen, and then this justin fields, Bryce Young Herbo's pretty good Pickett, Shador or Flacco in Cleveland, Michael Pennix, tell me which of those quarterbacks we're going to lose to as long as we have two, Josh Allen maybe the Chargers. Other than that, Like, I'm not gonna go crazy with predictions right now. That blew up in my face last year and the quarterback getting hurt for six and a half games, you know, over a third of the season didn't help that. But I do think this offense is going to be twenty twenty three good. And if we do that through the first eight games, you and I could play cornerback with this pass rush we have and a lead and we're gonna go eight to one. I'm just saying that again, not making predictions, but if you get that, you'll get the other part with it, a lot of fun football here in South Florida. With all of that is, go ahead and get into the offense, and I think is going to be very good this year. Here is how I constructed this podcast. I want to do each player kind of look at their peak of what they can be, kind of the questions around that player, and then what the expectations for them in general look like this season and we'll do that with each of the rooms as a whole as well.
Speaker 1: Sound good, cool quarterbacks too.
Speaker 2: I've been told that I'm crazy for this take, and perhaps the context I'm providing in this argument is where I'm coming up short. But I thought two of season last year, sans the games missed, was a more impressive display of playing the quarterback position than any other year of his career, and that includes the explosive twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three seasons. The Dolphins could not run the football after the Buffalo game last year.
Speaker 1: They couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: They replaced the run game with a screen game, so every single rep was a high leverage rep for your quarterback. And I thought the way he zipped through progressions influenced the coverage to free up space for runners underneath was the best display that he has shown of playing the position. I think that's why John Whu went from a career high and YAK yards of three hundred and sixty six in his career to five twenty one last year. Maybe a better way to convey that is that John Hu averaged two hundred and thirty five yards after the catch his first seven years in the league, So two hundred and thirty five yards per season through seven years, and he would more than double that as a Miami Dolphin at five twenty one. That's not the play, my guys like that. That's the scheme and the quarterback. And I say this as someone that thinks that John Who's one of the best runners after the catch in the league in a very damn good tight end.
Speaker 1: But the data is right there for you.
Speaker 2: This offense helped John wou become what he was, John who did not make this offense go to a different level. In fact, when you funnel the offense through the tight end position, you become like a twentieth ranked offense compared to being the best offense in twenty twenty three. And again the quarterback being hurt had a big part to do with that too. Don't get me wrong. The silver platter deep balls that flipped the field and the game and light the scoreboard up in twenty twenty three, all of that is fantastic. And you can't do better in terms of the box score and stats and the impact on games than that. Let's be perfectly clear about that. But I think there's less that goes into that than what Tua did last year with the coverages he saw. And this is why I just completely bypass what PFF tells you about quarterback play because they don't take this stuff into account. It's I literally as the guy that does it. And he said, it's all about depth of target. And that's absolutely insane to me because to me, getting a one on one look with Reakan Waddell and you have to identify it, you have to hold a safety and then fire an accurate ball forty yards down the field. But Tua does that all the time. I watch that in practice every day. I watched that across his Alabama tape for three years, just fawning over the tape. I saw it for years here with the Miami Dolphins. But I think the strain, the study, the mastery of the position that goes into picking apart umbrella coverages that reduces anything from a plus twenty yard box when you have zero threat of a run game. To do that, when guys are pinning their ears back and rushing at the first level, at the second level, they camp and coverage because they know they don't have to take a step forward. That's elite quarterback play man. Now I want to see those things married together in twenty twenty five, and that's how he become the twenty twenty three offense who becomes even better in short yardage, sustains possession longer, helps the defense out, and the run game is a big part of that. And that's why I think Tua is at his peak, a downfield assassin who can exploit the matchups when he finds them, but a meticulous profit taker while the defense plays way off the football protecting those deep balls. If we get those and the return of the running game, we will not be stopped. It's that simple, and we will roll through the first half of the schedule. Now the downside for the quarterback here, you guessed it. He misses a lot of games and the entire operation seizes up in his absence, and I would be surprised if any of that changed this year. So if he's out, all of your concerns, bring him on to me. Tell me I'm an idiot, because I am. If he goes down, But if he's up and playing, it's going to be totally fine. But he's gone out a lot, so I get the concern. I don't even have a middle ground with Tua. I think the big game environment is overblown and tends to isolate him from the other fifty two players that have made plenty of mistakes in those games, or the approach going into those games, like in the Buffalo games, when it's fourth and three on our own side of the field, we go for it and give Josh Allen shortfields. He does have to elevate his game a little bit more than he has. I will admit that the Houston game was dreadful, but he's also been aces in some of these big games. Just go back and watch that Eagles game in twenty twenty three or the first half of the Ravens game that year. There have been games Buffalo last year where he's done that. There's been games where he hasn't. But guess what, I know Kyle Krabs has done this study. Most elite quarterbacks are about fifty to fifty in those big games because guess what, it's really hard to beat really good teams. Zach Wilson at his peak is a talented creator who hopefully finds his home and a timing offense where he can sharpen that aspect of his game. But where can he get better? Well, it's just that playing within the contract of the offense.
Speaker 1: It was bad.
Speaker 2: In spring ball, it was not. It was hard to watch at times, and again McDaniel mentioned this. We've I've heard Oja mcduffee talk about this, like, don't you know, don't make final evaluations on a guy who's throwing to receivers for the first time, like it it's not fair in this offense to do that.
Speaker 1: But I also have the Jets tape.
Speaker 2: I also have the BYU tape, and it has to be better to inspire any hope for me there, and I will give the benefit of doubt for the time that requires to make that happen. But if I'm you know, predicting this, I just think I don't think he even lands in the middle ground there. I don't think it pans out. I've been wrong before, but I'm gonna have to see it before I believe it. In this offense, quinn ewers, it's a copy paste. I'd be surprised if it's more than a practice squad quarterback who takes a year to learn the offense. He does have some familiarity in the system because a Steve Sarkizian system, But that was a big struggle for him in college too, So the entire room has to up their level of what Tua does to make this offense click. In the event that Tua goes down as a whole, it just comes down to the health of a quarterback. Right if he's out there, we win thirty eight and twenty four as a starter. A top twelve quarterback to me, at worst, I know everyone else seems to not think that way, but I don't care what everyone else thinks. That's probably going to score twenty eight points per game when he's available. When he's down, we struggle to find thirteen points per game. So you do the math on that. Let's go ahead and do running backs before our first break. Here, Devon a chan We've seen the flashes of his brilliance and a scat role and at times in a featured role last season. At his peak, I think he's Reggie Bush or maybe even Jamiir Gibbs, an electric change of pace option that can flip the game. That's probably disingenuous to Gibbs. Gibbs of every down back, but Devon's also added to his skill set where he's better than Gibbs as a receiver, like his progress last year I thought was really impressive. I think he's only going to increase that this year. He can play from more alignments. He can run true receiver route from slots and flex out of alignments. I think that just having a better understanding of all those roles could make Devon a pretty deadly player in his third year. Where he struggles, and this gets overlooked by some identified by others, is reading blocks, finding his track, anticipating and identifying angles in the running game where that cutback lane is where to find the tough yards because he was always searching for home runs last year. He's talked about that. He's talked about the coach just telling him how much yards he left in the field. I think he'll take that coach into heart and come back and refocus that energy. I think he's a great football player. But those decisions and negative runs killed the offense last year, especially when we didn't have two in the passing game that Seattle game. They were in plus position all game long, and then with lose yards on first down runs because Devon wasn't seeing it. And I'm going to be transparent about that. I think you need to be You need a one Bee to help shoulder that load, and with Raheem's injury last year and then fumble issues and you know, disgruntledness. I suppose it's a good way to put it, like it just didn't come for him last year. And you know Jalen Wright's greenness, you know he wasn't I don't think ready for primetime as a rookie. We just didn't have it in twenty twenty four. I think that's what we'll get from Devon in twenty twenty five. Sparse out his role to more of a utility player that is your lead guy, but he does multiple things and get more true touches and carries from other guys like Jalen Wright. Speaking of Right, I think his vision and explosiveness, decision making and conviction at the line of scrimmage, at the point of attack, and the power he has to push through arm tackles is what I love about his game. I think he's a really good zone runner with speed to burn and power. He hits the line with that conviction and often shoots out the other side. We talked about an all training camp, we talked about it all spring, we saw it in games last year.
Speaker 1: I think he's a special talent at his peak who could win.
Speaker 2: That'll be the lead ball carrier by the end of the year, provided everything goes how I think it can with a chance evolution as a route runner and pass catcher. Where Jalen can get better is just process in approach. I think we've seen that in the spring. McDaniel talked about it got the orange jersey with his focus. Let's hope that continues. But I have huge hopes and expectations for twenty five this year.
Speaker 1: Oli Gordon.
Speaker 2: I think you just plug in that twenty twenty three tape where he's catching swings, running away from defenders, bowling people over high, hurling defenders, and being a Dope Walker Award winner.
Speaker 1: I mean he was not.
Speaker 2: It was a possible top fifty pick going into the year, and he didn't go into the one fifties. Had a down year last year for sure, But it's really tough for me to forecast this where he'll be, given his position in the pecking order as a rookie. You know, if it didn't happen for Riot last year, I shouldn't expect it to happen for somebody else. Because it's a tough offense to get down, but I think the potential is high end, and I don't think there's anything worth pointing out in the contrary yet. I think with this Dolphins backfield, like hopefully you can just keep on drafting guys in the late rounds and develop them. By year two or three they takeover and you just keep on turning out this position without having to pay it. Maybe I don't know, we'll see how that goes, but they have a bunch of irons in the fire right now. Alexander Madison, he's not an imaginative runner or a big play guy, but he does play behind his pads with a pension to take on contact in the short yardage game. Ideally he can be your hammer in those situations. But I also think there's a big disconnect in terms of what fans believe in what is reality with being like just a short yardage specialist. Like if you're lose Haka Polite as the fullback, fine, but as a running back, it tips your hand and it tells the defense what you're doing. If he can't catch a pass, if he can't run outside zone, like, you can't just be one dimensional playoffense and expect it.
Speaker 1: To be a good thing, Nate Nole.
Speaker 2: He needs to be a special teams monster to find his way under the roster right the rookie, the undrafted rookie. I think his most likely path is the practice squad and a late season call up who does that type of stuff special teams work. I would just tell him to watch savon achmed tape. Alec Ingle at his peak. He's a hammer of a kickout, lead block and wide zone guy that escorts the backs to big plays. I love what Coach talked about with his game in terms of the angles of blocks and how he makes it better for other guys when you plug on the tape and you can see it because it's a constant landmark shifter for the defense when you get Alec aligned all over the formation. I thought he struggled to see it at times last year, and perhaps the injury and missing some practice time contributed to that. But my expectations that he gets it back on track this year. The room as a whole has so much potential and a diverse set of skills. To me, it depends on two things, Devaughn's continued evolution, but more importantly, Jalen Wright's development that allows Devon to be fully utilized the way I think he can be best. Let's go ahead and take our first break rate there, come back and do receivers, tight ends, and offensive line all that. Next Draft Time podcast, brought to you by Auto Nation, we talked about the backfield, the quarterbacks, and the running backs. Let's go ahead and go out wide to as Ojai McDuffie would say, the what oats Tyreek Hill? Oh what Tyreek? Who are you going to be? I don't really think this needs to be like a dissertation. I will say I think the fact that he's getting faster at thirty one, drops some weight and really focused on his speed. I mean that's where guys games like go to die, right, They fall off a cliff when they lose a step, and he's not doing that. He's actually gaining steps at age thirty one. It's pretty impressive. A ten to one at thirty one is it's pretty damn crazy. Plus my idea, well not my idea. I mean Kurt Warner was the one that I watched and got this concept front and I've seen it from other former quarterbacks turned analysts to point this out. With Tyreek and JT. O. Sullivan being one of them, is the details in his routes. He's explosive, He's a game changer. He is so sharp in terms of maximizing every single step and every single movement to create the most space he can. He changes the way teams cover us, and he opens up our entire playbook with routes that we can't throw to other guys. Now, if he's being a bad teammate and he's not on the practice field, not in his playbook, not on top of his stuff, not run on the right routes, how many times have we heard that three years in now, And that's kind of a long time to know an offense and not run the right route. Still, then it becomes like a net detriment like it was last season because it was last year, right, especially at that cost, the most volatile asset on the team, maybe in the league. I mean, I think he'll be on his best behavior this year. But I say that like the guy and the meme that you know, I say that like the guy and the meme that drops the what is it?
Speaker 1: The is it a crab or something into a boiling.
Speaker 2: Pot of water, just like Scared his Hell of the explosion if any of the measurements are off. That's kind of how I feel about this, Like I'm optimistic, but I'm dropping that thing into the boiling water and we'll see what happens after that. Jillen Waddle I think is the most underrated player on the team at this point, which is kind of crazy we got here. But he's tough, he's quick, exceptional route runner who can attack leverage and get to where you were trying to take away his part of the field. Just go watch who Tua goes to on third and seven, Like there's a trust, there a chemistry, and it's because he knows how to get open against those coverages designed to take him away. Now, there's two things I think Jalen needs to harness this year. The hands, which you know, all the best guys if you go look at a list of the most dropped in the NFL every year, it's always the best receivers because well there's a high volume of balls going to those guys, so there's going to be more drops. But he has definitely dropped more than he should have. And then just staying on the field, like he's tough and doesn't miss much time. He can play through stuff, but he gets banged up and miss his practice time. We got to be on the grass. I've been talking about that since twenty twenty three, and you know, last year, four days into the regular season, our quarterback went down and it made it tough to get to that point after a you know, pretty non intense training camp, like we've got to be on the grass. I think he's ready for a twenty twenty two type of year. If he can do that, he's awesome. It's up to us to get him there. In my opinion, Nick Westbrook akine the way I think he can make our offense flexible to look like various groupings through his skill set. To me as a cheat code, I can break the huddle with Reek Waddle Westbrook and you know Faroh Brown for instance, and I can be just as effective running eleven personnel out of that group of players as I am in twelve personnel where Nwi becomes the second tight end because they just didn't use him to kick out the backside contained player in Tennessee. They let him up into the sea gap is the focal point of the running game, and he caught nine touchdowns on thirty two catches a ridiculous percentage. He has an ability to get on top of favorable matchups, high point the football, and just do a little bit of everything we really haven't had at the position. They've done this, They've tried this with you know, Trent Sherfield, River Craiycraft, Odell Beckham Junior. To a certain extent, I think Westbrook a Keene can do all those ancillary roles that you need from that third receiver behind Reagan Wattle. He's a role guy, so I think he becomes one of your top If he becomes one of your top two in case of injury, that's not like great, like you can get by with it, but it's not ideal.
Speaker 1: That's the downside of it all.
Speaker 2: But we know that Reak and Waddle they don't miss many games, especially Reeke playing through some of the stuff, and you know Waddle's done that as well. I think he's going to be an unsung hero of this team. Westbrook, Akeene Bleak Washing to me is a screen game buster. It both is a pass catcher and blocker, return man specialist, quick uncover inside against man coverage, which you're gonna get plenty of if you're in this offense, you can trust him to be where he's supposed to be all block his butt off. I think he's LJ McDuffie, and if you put you know, Irving Fryar and mark Ingram alongside him, he can feast. He's not very explosive, he's not going to split doubles, but he's probably always a number three in this offense. But that's pretty damn good for a six round draft pick. My expectations that he makes like forty catches, but like twenty seven of those are critical plays in big moments, and then who makes a team beyond those four those are the four locks to me, let's go ahead and rapid fire.
Speaker 1: The receiver group.
Speaker 2: Taj Washington elite speed and ball tracking skills down the field, but tiny frame and didn't even survive spring ball last year.
Speaker 1: DS Gridge.
Speaker 2: I think he's a perfect backup to Malik in terms of some of the Jets sweep stuff he can do and kind of some of the you know, short like drag routes and crossing routes that he can run and he can take a few of the snaps from Tyreek is a similar body type and play style. If Riet goes down to try to find ways to, you know, fill out that role in the aggregate. I think he's a nice utility option who has a good chance to make this roster. Eric Azuokama, to me, is one of the most frustrating pieces of the roster because he's so damn talented. I just don't think he kills it in the classroom. He's kind of viewed as a bonus to me at this stage of his career because we saw the flashes, but they have gone by the wayside since then. And then the Rookies Andrew Armstrong, massive frame, enough juice in the hips to get open. I'm intrigued by him, probably more than the others. I think THEOWIESH Junior is another big body, but it takes a while for that barge to turn around there a little bit. Aj Heading is a slot option, return man type of guy who has some wiggle, but nothing's super crazy. Tarik Black another big body, heavy footed type of guy. And then Monterey bald Win or four to two speed, but he's like my weight, so you know, it's tough to make a living in at that size. I think the room is currently the deepest and most diverse it's ever been, but I can see how it quickly would get thin if you lose one of the top two. It's deep to replace three and four, but replacing one and two really digs into that depth.
Speaker 1: Some teams do go six or seven deep.
Speaker 2: I think we're four deep with four really important core guys again who you can find the roles of the three and four should they go down. But you have to identify two more guys in camp, and I think we can do that. But let's be blunt, like this offense has to go back to funneling through ten to seventeen, not a tight end in the running back these top two wide receivers. Speaking of tight ends, Farrell Brown at his peak, he's an ass kicker of a run and pass pro blocker who can sneak past the defense for the occasional big play, who can also drop the shoulder and run through tackles. I think those days of the explosive plays are probably in the rear view mirror.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe I'm gonna bite my tongue.
Speaker 2: On that, but I think the point of attack stuff is very much still in tune there. If he can do that and catch some of those release valve checkdowns and give us first downs that way, post up on hookup routes and shield defenders, then it's a massive win. I think he's going to be a better version of what Julian Hill has been for us. Speaking of Julian, I think he just needs to polish everything up, like become a better player in your third year through the progress that you've made from all the reps and experience you have. The flashes as a blocker are really good, but there's also like a lot of you know, abhorrent misses in there as well. If he can play on time better and have better pre snap discipline, which again, like it's a tough position. Man, he's constantly changing his landmark. He's moving in motion and shifts, and he has to like kind of you know, have a checklist pre snap and the way the quarterback does. But I think he can be a valuable fifteen snap per game type of guy. I think he's a better option in what Durham Smyth's role should have been when he was the two and three As that fifteen snap type of guy per game player, I think you reduce the need to have him out there in eleven personnel with the Pharaoh Brown signing, but he's probably top choice for the second tight end twelve personnel for me with Pharaoh Brown unless Darren Waller comes in here, and that's my next guy I'm talking about here, comes in here and just becomes what he used to be. That would change the entire dynamic of the offense, because I think he's basic, you know, Nick Westbrookakine juiced up. If he is that player, I think it's you know, he can block out you know, nickel corners and safeties and really be a matchup nightmare on those guys. I think it's fair to question though, like what are you getting from this player in terms of desire and in what is left in the tank from a skill set standpoint because he missed a year of football. But then also, you know, we talk about matchups for the rest of the offense that they get because of Freak and Waddle, we haven't had someone that has proof of concept in that type of role, like we haven't Darren Waller, not like Beckham wasn't that Westbroo Kakinne hasn't shown that in his career. Darren Waller has had some crazy, crazy productive years in that role. But again, I said the exact same thing about Obj. We haven't had this type of guy in the offense, you know, in this offense in the past, and it didn't work at all, and probably for similar reasons like where's the passion and love of the game and all that stuff. Now, I'm not going to like say it's a question for Darren. I don't know him at all, but I think it's like one of the surface level questions that's fair to to pop up right away. But I'm so intrigued by what he looks like come training camp. Tanner Connor just has to be healthy, right, I mean, it's it's been he hasn't been on the field, and that's what it comes down to, because he's got nice speed. He's a good seambuster, special team cover guy, just hasn't been on the field. Jalen Conyers to me is like your option to you know, if Tanner goes down again to kind of replace that role. I'm keeping a super close eye on him all camp because the movement skill set two sixty seven is very, very intriguing. Although I suspect he might test better than he plays, we'll find out. And then Hayden Ruccie is like a Julian hill Light to me, he needs to take a big step to crack this roster. This is the only position on offense that I don't think is going to be like awesome. Like, I think it's good enough, especially if Waller can be a matchup piece in a passing game. But I think it's good enough with what you have in the rest of the offense, especially like when you're not considering the tight end position a box score watching position like they're going to be, you know, a six offensive lineman half the time, and guys that do things in the route game, in the passing game to kind of clear up space. And you know, I will say this until I'm blue in the face. John Oops is a really good football player and the Steelers are lucky to have him, But funneling this offense through that position was a net negative for this team. And I'm cool with supplementing him at the old figure he got on that nice team friendly contract, but getting that raise, that was the right move to me to collect a pick for him and look elsewhere. Let's take our last break right there, come back and talk about the big uglies up front on the offensive line. Draft Time podcast brought to you by Auto Nation. One of the funnier things to me of the entire offseason. And look, I'm not going to sit here and say the cornerback room is gonna be all pro or anything close to that, but I do think it's funny how much how much I read about the need for offensive linemen and to focus on the offensive line. And here we are, one year after giving Aaron Brewer a nice contract in the pivot, one year after extending Austin Jackson to a healthy contract at right tackle but also team friendly for his production, one year after drafting Patrick Paul with the top sixty pick in the draft, and now we have a pretty big investment at guard in James Daniels eight million bucks per year and trading up for another guard, and Jonas savit Naya got it locked in. And they did that. They did what everybody asked them to do about. You know, we're not concerned about the offensive line or like whatever all the commentary is.
Speaker 1: They went out and they did that.
Speaker 2: They provided you know, they put a lot of assets into the offensive line. And I don't read about that. I don't read about the applause. All I read about is the lack of cornerbacks that you have on the roster, and I just I think that's kind of funny.
Speaker 1: I think it's a little bit funny.
Speaker 2: Not saying that you guys are wrong about the cornerback room, but I think it's kind of funny because this offensive line, to me, has a lot of potential and it starts with Patrick Paul. I think he has like potential to be one of the best players in the league at his position.
Speaker 1: Will he become that, we'll see.
Speaker 2: But in terms of the way he works, the mindset he has, and the physical traits, it's all there.
Speaker 1: It's up to him to put together.
Speaker 2: He has so many wins where his technique isn't even that good or special because he just has rare traits and size that allows him to win because of that, and his technique has come a long way, and I think the way he works and develops that under Butch Berry, with the reps under toront Armstead last year, the expectation should be one of the mainstay left tackles in this league by this time next year, going into his third season.
Speaker 1: Now, if that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Take and he can't get it right, it'll come with some bad losses and some hits in the quarterback, but I don't expect that to happen. I think Miami has the left tackle of the future in Patrick Paul Jonah savity Naya. I think we're gonna look back at Jonah as one of the best rookies we've seen on this team in a long time. I think he's an ass kicker at the point of attack, exceptional mover out in space, great technique. I don't have any notes I talked about him and they run up to the draft. I think he's a really, really good player. Aaron Brewer. Same is true with him, even if he's undersized for the position. He needs help on the bigger nose tackles, but that's true of every center. The same is true of Connor Williams. I think he's a pro bowler. Should have been last year, can be this year. Get him in space and allows you to really maximize your misdirection game because he can bluff and then get out in either direction in a hurry. Again, if there's a downside, it's the size, but the overall expectations that Brewer kind of makes this offense go in the pivot. James Daniels, another really good athlete with really good technique and plenty of power for the position. He was my O line one for us this offseason when we got him. The concern is going to be the injury and coming back from that. But I think that he Brewer Austin Jackson can really help fill that leadership void left by Tron Armstead. I'm so pumped about the additions of him and Jonah. Those were the two guys I highlighted that we got him, and I can't sit here and be mad about that when they get the guys that I wanted. I talked for months about those two players and we got them. So I'm pumped up about the offensive line. And then Austin Jackson. We've gone over his the Dolphins numbers like one hundred and fifty three yards per game in the running game before he got hurt down to seventy two after he got hurt. Like it that was the difference, and I think if Austin had better health the last couple of seasons, we'd be talking about him as one of the better right tackles in the game of football. Awesome combo blocker surge in the power run game not an elite one on one pass protector, which I think kind of is where some of the negative reputation comes from at times for Austin. But he scraps his way to wins. He finds a way to get the guy in the ground or around his quarterback. He gets beat, you know, twice a game, and that's maybe like one hurry or maybe a sack or a hit on Tua and then Tua masks the other one. And I just I think that sometimes the rep can look bad, but he finds his way to wins and his value in the run game and being a net positive and pass protection, that's exactly what this offense needs.
Speaker 1: And Austin Jackson's a big part of that.
Speaker 2: And I think he's a great leader, a great articulate teacher of the position, just a really really cool guy to cover and be around. And he's a good football player. Larry Boram, I think is going to be the swing tackle. And even though I think the system suits him way more than the Chicago one did. I liked him better at guard. For US you need three good tackles. Does Miami have that in Borham? I think it's fair to wonder that the tape in Chicago was not great, but I think you can see it translatable to this offense. Miami's gonna have to find out if it's him or somebody else, because you're going to play a third tackle at some point. It's how this league goes. Liam Ikenberg. I love Liam as my eighth as much as I may he don't like him as a starter. Is that fair to say? He's tough, he knows the system. He's a decent guard. I'm not crazy about center or tackle, but because he can play them, he's got value there because as your eighth guy, if you're gonna lose two guys in a game, he needs an eighth guy that can step into any position and help you shuffle the offensive line. He's also a great locker room presence, a very likable dude, and good mentor for the younger guys because he's doesn't let much bother him. There's a certain temperament to leam Miichenberg that I really admire. And if you push back on me on that, I'm going to tell you to shut the hell up because you're not around the guys and you don't know it the way I know it. And that's That's kind of what I have to pull here because I know that there's a lot of pushback on this player, but trust me, he is a valuable asset in terms of the way he approaches the game and his professionalism to the younger players on this team.
Speaker 1: Keon Smith.
Speaker 2: I think Keon can make Liam the eighth with a good camp and the concerns coming off the ACL obviously, but it was last August, so he gets, you know, a full twelve months of recovery time. I expect him to make a jump in his second year in terms of conversion work to the guard position. This offense loves to move tackles to guard right. He's got an exceptional first step and can really get out on the combination blocks and climb to that second level. Andrew Myers kind of the last of the I don't want to say proven, but I mean he was on the roster for the entire year last year. A guy that we've seen play and have some proof of concept. I thought there was some very good tape in the preseason at the guard position sum at center as well, but the evaluation is far from over. I'm going to keep a close eye on him both in camp, and in the preseason games. Brandon Daniels is a smooth moving big fella on the outside. I think he has a chance to crack the roster with a good training camp. Jackson Carmen, I mean, the Houston game was tough, and he's gonna have to kind of overcome the perception of that to make a run at the roster. Ryan Hayes, the production that guys have gotten on him in springball is alarming, so we'll look for a big jump for him in training camp and then the three UDFA Josh Prebay some real tough nose reps there at Michigan with a power run game. I'm curious to see how he can convert those skills to this offense because there's something there with how he plays the position. Addison West is a really good mover. I think he's developmental center type of player in this offense. But he's just three hundred and five pounds, but he's pretty quick. And then Ted Kushy, I gotta be honest with you, guys, I never got around to watching him, so I will wait until I watch him on the field for the Dolphins. He did get the notes a couple of days at spring ball. But I'm not gonna sit here like I'm a ted cushy expert. I think it's fair to be concerned about the depth of this group. Absolutely, but I think the one through five is, if not the best, as good as it's been since pre Isaiah win injury. But even then, like you know, people are gonna say, well, you lost arms set down to Patrick Paul bro we scored sixty one points against the Chargers and Patriots without teesteat in either of those two games. In the first two games of twenty twenty three, everybody was I remember there was a guy tweeting about the season being over because Armstead got hurt, and then we scored thirty six against the Patriots, like it's it's fine, It's it's fine. I think the tackles are gonna be really good. I think the guards are gonna be really good. I think Brewer is awesome. But the depth is a little bit concerning. I think that that fact has often forgotten about. If we lose one guy, I think you can so a couple of guys. It starts to get thin there. But I'm confident in Patrick Paul. I've been over the loss in the run game production pre and post Jackson injury. Brewers the man, but tried this on for size for the guard positions. I'll close with this. So Rob Hunt was three hundred and twenty five pounds coming out of University of Louisiana Lafayette. Pretty damn good athlete. There was no workout metrics due to COVID, but you guys saw what he could do. He was a dominant hooper in high school. You saw him get out in space in this offense. Isaiah Webb also no workouts because he got hurt his last year at Georgia. But again another three hundred and twenty five pound guy that you saw what he could do in space and how his size made him a tough code to crack. And pass protection at that left guard position. Well, we know James and Jonah have the size and mass in the pass pro down lock. Just watched Jonah's work as a college tackle and pass protection and watch James Daniels do anything and the Steelers with the Bears before that, and they go three thirty five and three twenty five, And what I'm saying is they are very similar players in terms of the skill sets and the size and the athletic ability. When we were five to one with both those guards in the lineup, scoring thirty seven points per game and running for one hundred and eighty one yards per game. When we lost Isaiah Win for the rest of the season and Rob Hunt got hurt two weeks later, we had games scoring seventeen, thirty, one, fourteen, and twenty points to follow that with forty five, seventy eight, one, seventeen, and ninety nine yards rushing in those four games. I'm just saying there's a lot of comparisons Isaiah Win and Rob Hunt to James Daniels and Jonah Savit Naya all thanks told. It's no secret I'm super bullish on this offense. I think it's going to be very good and hopefully good enough to make opposing offenses one dimensional that allows us to tee up our pass rush a lot. I expect this group to score no less than twenty eight points per game this year.
Speaker 1: That is how I see it.
Speaker 2: We'll do the defense on tomorrow's show, and it is the most wonderful time of year. That's right, Miami Dolphins training camp right around the corner, and you can reserve your tickets right now. The Dolphins are back on the field for Back Together weekend on Julyjuly twenty sixth, a Saturday first Dolphins practice open to the fans in the public. The Dolphins will take Sunday off and be back on the field for a Monday practice on the twenty eighth, as well as the twenty ninth and thirtieth, all open to the fans. After a Thursday day off on the thirty first, Miami's right back to work for the first second and third of August, all those practices open to fans as well. The next practice available to the fans August the sixth, and then a pretty good gap there with the joint practices up in Detroit and Chicago. Miami's back for three more practices in front of the fans here at the Baptist Hill Training Complex August eighteenth, August twentieth, and August twenty first. That twenty first date is a joint practice against the Jacksonville Jaguars. So July twenty sixth, July twenty eighth, twenty ninth, thirtieth, August first, second, and third August sixth, August nineteenth, August twentieth, and August twenty first against the Jacksonville Jaguars. Book your tickets now on Miami Dolphins dot com and for the latest on Dolphins training camp updates, you guys know where to keep it. Drivetime podcast has daily coverage of practice, everything that happened, everything that was said in the press conferences, a daily recap report of what happened at training camp.
Speaker 1: Also my timeline. When practices are open to the.
Speaker 2: Public, I'll have live tweets for you guys those days when they are closed, We'll have the recap after practice with in depth descriptive practice tweets from at Winkfold NFL.
Speaker 1: You know where to find me.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and subscribe and rate and review the podcast. Follow the Dolphins at Miami Dolphins. Check out the YouTube channel for media availabilities, Drive Time content and the return of season two of Dolphins HQ, and Last Button not Least Miami Dolphins dot Com Until next time.
Speaker 1: Fina Carolina Camera Daddy, He's coming home.