Speaker 1: On today's episode. If I didn't know, maybe you didn't either. I want to give a big congratulations to Jackson State University football program for being the Black College Football National champions.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. You didn't. No, I didn't know. I did No, I didn't know. You didn't I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. I did. We know who the twenty twenty four HBCU champion is. But let's take it back one hundred and thirty three years ago, eighteen ninety two.
Speaker 2: It's freezing, snow is everywhere, and.
Speaker 1: What do these brothers decide to do start black college football? Yep, in less than a football field of snow. Because when life gives us blizzards, we make history.
Speaker 2: Baby. Now, I live in Charlotte and to.
Speaker 1: Get to Salisbury, it's about forty five minutes in the car. But back in eighteen ninety two, it was Mason Bethe and Cameron Horse and carriage five hours. Do you know how long five hours is in the cold. That's what you're hoes start questioning their life choices. And they wasn't rolling up in luxury carriages. No, this ain't cinderellam. It was more like hold on tight y'all, one of these wheels is wobbling.
Speaker 2: But here's where it gets good.
Speaker 1: Because the women at Livingstone College, they like to say, l see, let me tell you, these ladies were the real MVPs cause they didn't just make their uniforms. They tailored them. I'm talking custom fits. I can see them now over there on campus of LC. No Jerome hold steal your chest is lopsided and cleats or they didn't buy no cleats. They customize them. Probably have some brother in the workshop, like, hey, y'all, y'all want some spikes or some glitter on y'all's cause you know, sometimes you got to pop out in shows.
Speaker 2: So game they comes, and what do they play?
Speaker 1: No? Not a stadium, not even a field. A lawn, yeah, somebody's front yard. I mean you out there dodging defenders and daffodil bushes. I don't even know if daffidil bushes are a thing. And let's talk about the final score. Biddle Institute five Livingstone College zero. Biddle Institute is now Johnson C. Smith University. They like to say jays c as you, but that was the finals car five to nothing. And I know what you're thinking, was that even a game? But it's somebody tripping a the end zone. But it wasn't about the score. It was about the statement. These dudes weren't just playing football. They were saying, yeah it's snowing, and yeah we got ten hours of carriage ride round trip, but we still gonna make history.
Speaker 2: And they did that.
Speaker 1: That game laid the foundation for everything we love about HBCU football today. The women supporting the team, whether it's getting the uniforms out cheering in the stands, the bands, the halftime shows, the energy. It all started with some brothers in the snow and some sisters with.
Speaker 2: A kneeling thread.
Speaker 1: So next time you're watching a game sipping your hot coco, remember this December twenty seventh, eighteen ninety two, one hundred and thirty three years ago. These folks was out there and freezing weather. The no gloves, just grit, and the women, oh, they on the sidelines like.
Speaker 2: Y'all better win.
Speaker 1: I ain't stay up all night sewing these uniforms for nothing.
Speaker 2: And I didn't know. Maybe you didn't either.
Speaker 1: I