Speaker 1: It's the best Bits of the week with Morgan.
Speaker 2: I kill just the bits. What's up friends, Happy weekend?
Speaker 3: Excited that you're here to catch up on the Bobby Bone Show from this week. I've got a whole lot of segments for you, and if you want something totally new, you can listen to part one this Weekend with Abby. Not only do we answer our listener questions, but we talk about not using our free will correctly in the person we've become that we never wanted to become. So a lot of fun stuff over there. If you just want to get caught up on the show, then let's get into it. Eddie went to a restaurant with his family and found something super gross in his drink. Now would you say something or would you.
Speaker 2: Just let it be? Number seven Eddie went to dinner with the family. Yeah, what happened?
Speaker 4: So we get there, we sit down, and the server comes with a picture and starts, you know, serving everyone water in their glasses.
Speaker 2: Well it's nice.
Speaker 4: I'm a little parched. So I get my glass and I'm about to drink it when I've noticed something like a dark black like something floating in it. I got it's weird. So I back up a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's a fly.
Speaker 4: There is a fly in my water. It's dead, but it's sitting there.
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask what you guys did, cause dude, it's awkward, right Like. First I'm just like, like, I almost drank a fly.
Speaker 2: That's gross.
Speaker 4: Then second I'm just like, it's just a fly.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have done just a fly, but I hear you.
Speaker 4: So I started to reach in there and be like, it's just a fly. Pull it out, like, pull it out, throw it and just drink the water.
Speaker 2: But I did it. I said, you know what, kind of want them to know what they did? What did they do it?
Speaker 4: Sure, they served a customer a glass of water with a fly in it.
Speaker 2: Where was the fly? I think it was in the cup? Or do you think it was in the water they poured?
Speaker 5: I had landed in the picture.
Speaker 4: It had to have been in the picture because the cups were just sitting there, you know, and they were empty, and then the picture they come put the water in it. So I said, excuse me, ma'am, there's a fly in my water. And she goes, oh gosh, I'm so sorry, Like, let me just get you another water, but that was it, And I was like, I don't know if I should make a bigger stink out of it some kind of I don't know, but I just left it there and I said, you know what, that's fine.
Speaker 2: I got a water, didn't have a flying it. I'm good.
Speaker 5: But is everybody else? Then I would be like, and could everybody else's table get new water because their water came from the dead fly picture?
Speaker 2: You gave your family flywater? Wow? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, you gave your family flywater. Dude, that's a good point. Amy, Like, what would evil Eddie have done? Oh?
Speaker 4: I think Evil Eddie probably would have made a big deal out of it and been like, no, we're we're not gonna eat here unless we get our food for free.
Speaker 2: Did you consider evil Eddie?
Speaker 4: No, dude, Honestly, I was really considering just taking it out of the glass and drinking it, because because if I was at home, that's easy, right.
Speaker 5: If there's why you just.
Speaker 2: Take it out and drink it at home? Is not a restaurant and experience. What would you have done? Said, hey, just fly my water like a new glass and a new picture of water, please, that's it.
Speaker 5: You would think, well, maybe some places might be like, hey, let's go ahead and send app tizer out to that family that dealt with the fly you had done.
Speaker 6: I would ask to talk to the manager.
Speaker 2: Okay, hello, hello, yeah, yes, the Daniel family. What can I do for you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we have a problem here, your health code violations.
Speaker 6: There was a fly in the pitcher of water.
Speaker 7: Sorry, yeah, so I think we need to be compensated. Our meal probably needs to be taken care of. You haven't ordered yet, though, Well I'm about to order or else we're gonna have to go find another restaurant.
Speaker 2: Oh so sorry. And so what I would like to say is a French can you tell? I can tell? Okay, oh all right, we will send you fried pickles. Were sorry about that? Will give us a fried pickles?
Speaker 7: Oh no, fried pickles is not enough, man, I'm sorry, but like we could have been contaminated. My family, my kids, we could have been sick because you have dead flies in your water.
Speaker 6: That's not acceptable.
Speaker 2: Oh much, you are not. So if you'd like to go go ahead, okay, goodbye, good bye? And then that's it. Who wins there?
Speaker 7: Then they get a negative help review. Yeah they got flies in their stuff. Man, be careful. They tried to force me to eat flies for dinner.
Speaker 2: They tried to force me to eat flies. See my mind never went that far.
Speaker 6: Or you pull up your yelp.
Speaker 7: And start typing it out so the manager can see and be like, hey, you want me to hit inner.
Speaker 6: You want me to hit it sin wow wow Wow, that easy.
Speaker 2: You write it up and you hold your finger over the inter button like I'm gonna push inter Yeah, free meal man, and.
Speaker 4: You expect them to be like no, no, no, please, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I don't think it's worthy of a whole free meal. I do think an appetizer's fine, but I think also I just like some new water please, or cover our drinks good.
Speaker 1: It's the best bits of the week with Morgan.
Speaker 6: Number two.
Speaker 3: We talk about aliens sometimes on the show, or extraterrestrials, whatever you want to call them, But this particular segment we didn't actually get into the thing about aliens. More so we talked about the first song we would play if we met an alien.
Speaker 2: Number six. The question is if an alien came down from space and said, play me a song it tells me about your people, what do you play them? Switch it up? On the Alien Talk. You thought I was gonna go all interdimensional. Yeah, but a little green mank Hello, play me a song that tells me about your people. I just want to hear something. What would you play me? Amy?
Speaker 5: I feel like I want something with a little bit of like we can dance to and like clapping or snapping or something. So I'm gonna go with hey, y'all from outcasts Wow, because we can chick it like a polar bood picture.
Speaker 2: What is a polaroid picture? I store all images in my brain forever, right.
Speaker 5: I feel like we would dance to that.
Speaker 2: That's a good one. I think I'm going led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven because it's got sonically all the things, slow fast. It is a song that's lasted over decades and decades and decades, is still considered one of the greatest songs of all time. It is one of the greatest songs of all time. It is traditional music formattics that there's a chorus, just all that, like what is all that? The music part? Because it's slow and fast. And then this is like a song that has been considered great for fifty years. So I'm handing them Stairway to Heaven.
Speaker 5: There's a laity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Eddie. Yeah, kind of the same thing as you.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna give them Bohemian raps in my second one. Yeah, same reason right, Like it's got everything on, all these tempo changes. And then one of the best singers ever, Freddie Mercury. You're like, you got to hear race.
Speaker 2: I really struggle with one of those two. Yeah, that one does everything go slow goes fast? Yeah, tell different parts of the story. There's some nonsensical parts, there's Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Uh Morgan, you guys really thought your guys is out And as soon as you asked this question, the first thing that came to mind was play that funky music that's not bad.
Speaker 5: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It was a white boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just felt like a fun song to show them and be like this was a really popular song for a long time. But I did not have any You guys had a lot of thoughts.
Speaker 2: I think we're just music nerds and you guys, yeah, you guys are trying to like grind with the aliens. We're trying to teach them about music.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at weddings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys lunchbox.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's easy uptown Funk by Bruno Mars. I want them to hear this and there it's fun, it has everything, and then they're gonna be like, how can I see this guy? So I couldn't pick someone that was dead because they're gonna love the song so much they're probably gonna want to go see them in concert. So it's uptown Funk by Bruno Mars.
Speaker 2: I would imagine they'd have the ability to time travel and then they could go back and watch anybody.
Speaker 5: We have.
Speaker 2: We have Bruno in our hearts. And also we just went back in time and watched Queen. The Mexican fella told us to watch Queen, so we saw them. Raymundo, yeah, I gotta give him a little bit of Sam Hunt body like of course, because it also crossed over, so he's gonna get the pop and then also country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 6: I thought he was over Sam Hunt. I thought you'd moved on.
Speaker 2: Well, you can still likes him, but you think the aliens are they're not ready for walling because he's so hardcore country back Patio, I don't want to go straight to there, so you yeah, Scooba Steve, what do you think aliens come down song?
Speaker 4: I think anything from that first album from Lincoln Park because it kind of gives them a vibe like rock and hip hop and it's I don't know, I would get them excited.
Speaker 2: I think like they would give us a song like numb or what's that one song goes?
Speaker 8: I blead it out, digging deeper, just to throw it away.
Speaker 2: I please, just to throw and he gets them screaming in there. The aliens are gonna shoot. They're gonna get fired out and just start lasering us all to day as soon as like Chester screams all the way. Okay, we should do that as an iHeart playlist songs we'd tell the aliens if they landed.
Speaker 1: It's the best Bits of the Week with Morgan.
Speaker 6: Number two.
Speaker 3: Corey Can't stop by the studio to talk all about his career and including a story behind his hit song wild It's Her and how Willie Nelson changed his life when he was sixteen years old.
Speaker 2: Number five, Here we go on the Bobby Bones Show.
Speaker 5: Now, Corey.
Speaker 2: Corey and I had a brief discussion on text message the other day and he said, hey man, thanks for letting me come on your show, and I honestly didn't know he was coming on the show yet. And I said, oh, I had no idea. That's awesome. I can't wait to see you. And then he said, oh, never mind, my people haven't asked yet. Oh so his people had nass and I didn't know anybody, and so anyway, it obviously worked out.
Speaker 8: It's good to see you, man, man, thanks for having me again. I tell people too, because people love you as an artist. And mostly if I'm like, hey, who's real good, that's like making it, but you're waiting for them to make it, make it like your name comes up a lot, and don't say thanks to me because mostly some other people mostly I just agreed.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, yeah, I love that guy. But what people thinks funny is that your wife took pictures at like my family's yeah wedding, talk like Grayson DJ's wedding. His wife was taking a picture because they're they're the photographer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know the way you say.
Speaker 2: Right, so will you back that story? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Well my vantage point is, uh so, Dana, if you've seen like all of our like this photo, h all my album art, Dana's like super talented photographer, and uh, she used to do like she used to do weddings, but just like selective. If if she knew the people or if it was in a really cool place, she would take that that gig. We kind of she kind of slowed down on that just because keeps both of us away on the weekends from all the kids. But uh, this particular wedding, she's like, I'm gonna do this one. And and she came back from that wedding and was like, I met Bobby Bones and his wife and they were super nice, and I'm going this is like years ago, right. I'm like, she's you told him about me? Right, She's like, no, Like what this could have this could have progressed my career, Like what are we doing here? That's my vantage point of it. But I saw some of the photos. It looked like a blast.
Speaker 2: It was a blast. Where'd you grow up? Specifically Bigsby, Oklahoma. That's exactly where we were for the wedding. And yeah, there's awesome sonic there, and I.
Speaker 8: Know I know that's our only claim.
Speaker 2: Well it's kind of how I know places like towns are as good as their sonics are strong. There was a new really strong sonic there and I know you guys from sports in Oklahoma.
Speaker 8: Now, ye yeah, Bixby's kind of become a like a football dynasty out there. It was not that way when I was there.
Speaker 2: Oh, they weren't good when a kid. We were a.
Speaker 8: Wrestling school when I was growing up. But my little brother who just graduated, I think that they lost one game in four years that he was there. Something like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's what I know them for. Is like being dominant at football.
Speaker 8: State title after state title after at the highest level was crazy. And that towns I think like three or four x in size since since I graduated.
Speaker 2: But you get a big everybody comes running.
Speaker 8: I know, it's how it works.
Speaker 2: Well, you tell them the story, because I don't think they know it because they're all Texans. They got a room full of tech, not me, are you really?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We got we got all Texans. Can you tell them you're Willie Nelson's story? Oh yeah, do you guys know this story? Okay, you're gonna there is the greatest story I've ever heard.
Speaker 8: Okay, dude, Yeah, Because we talked about this on the podcast, so I was sixteen years old. We got to preface this by the reason that I love Willie Nelson's music is because my grandfather, who a couple months ago passed away. He was like, he was my person. Uh so this story is like, it is really fun for me to think of just one of my favorite memories with him. So my uncle buys my grandfather tickets, like really good seats, like third or fourth row seats to Willie Nelson. And I think Willy's in his late seventies. At this point, I'm sixteen years old. I just got my driver's license, and uh, they they come to the house. They live in Broken Bow, Oklahoma, and so came up to the house because he was playing in Tulsa, and obviously our house is closer to Tulsa than there, so they were staying at our house. And my uncle's like, you should really think about, you know, getting a ticket to this show, because Willie's a legend. You haven't seen him live, you love country music. This might be your last chance to see him. Little did we know he'd still be touring like now one hundred years later, you know what I mean. But anyways, I was like, you're right, So, sixteen year old kid, I don't have any money tickets are expensive. So I was like, well, I'll just drive up there and I'll wait outside and you know, get a ticket from somebody scopping tickets. And that's what I did. I waited till about ten minutes after the show. I got a ticket from some guy who was just trying to make a buck off of him and once the show starts, you can't really make any money off him. So I got a ten dollar ticket and I walked in and at this point in my life, I I like couldn't really enjoy a concert because all I could think about is like, what would I do if I was up there? Would I be ready? What would I sing? Would I be ready for that moment? And you know, obviously that's never happened. But I've gone to a lot of shows and I've had that same feeling, and this night just felt a little different. And so I'm up in the nosebleeds with a ten dollars ticket and I walked over to this sweet lady at the concession stand and I was like, this is gonna sound super odd, but do you have any like cardboard or anything? And so she walked to the trap. She pulled out a piece of cardboard, and handed it to me and she's like, what do you want this for? And I was like one other question. Do you have a sharpie I could use? And she got me a sharpie and I wrote, it's my dream to play a song with you. And I didn't know what I was gonna do with that sign, but I ended up in the in the nosebleeds. And one thing that you also have to understand about my grandfather is that he loved makers Mark and you add makers Mark and Willie and Nelson, like he's having the time of his life. Anyway, my uncle calls me, he's like, did you make it in? I was like, yeah, I'm way up here, and he's like, bro, I need a beer, Like I need you to come sit down here with your grandfather and make sure he's all right. And because my grandfather's like third row, eyes closed, Willie Nelson's playing, hands up, he's feeling it, he's it is a spiritual experience for this man. So I tried to walk down there and I got stopped by a security guard because you had to have like a wristband to be on the floor or whatever. And I was like, this isn't gonna work. I walked back up, walked around to the next the next security guarden. Just I was like, I just got to act like I belong here, walk straight through with my sign. I sit down next to my grandfather and I'm like, this is my chance, you know. So I hold this sign up and holds it up for a couple songs and the guy behind me is pissed because I'm blocking his view root and these people pay good money for this seat, right like, So I hold the sign up and Willie sees the sign and he leans over and he takes his bandana off his head and he throws it to me. It's like a very obvious, like thanks for being here. Put the sign up down. So, of course, being you know, naive, bullheaded sixteen year old me, I take the bandana and I put it in my pocket and I'm like, that's crazy. I got a bandana from Willie Nelson. Then I put the sign up and he leaned over again a couple songs later and he threw me another bandana, and I was like, this is great, man. I was like, I was like, hey, Papa, check this out, Like open your eyes for a second. I got a bandana for you, and and then I put the sign back up and uh, and the third time he leans over, he throws me another bandana. I'm not kidding this. The third bandana off this guy's head and I grabbed it and I looked behind me and I talked to the guy behind me, and I was like, bro, I'm sorry, I gotta do this, but you can have this bandana, Like, hopefully this buys me a little grace here. I put the sign back up and he leans over and he goes, all right, what do you want to play? And up to this point in my life, I've been in this Western swing band for like five years. From age eleven to sixteen, I was part of a Western swing band which plays like Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys. It was basically like a cover band for that. But I knew that nobody in that place wanted to see a random sixteen year old kid sing on the road again or blue Eyes crying in the rain, like they want to hear Willy sing that, right. And I also knew that Willy loved Bob Wills, like that's one of his biggest inspirations. And I'd seen him play this song called Milkow Blues, which is one of my favorite songs to sing that I played in my band. So he leaned over. He goes, what do you want to sing? And I said Milkow Blues and I could see his eyes get like, what does a sixteen year old kid know about nineteen thirties dust bowl aer, you know, Bob Will's music. And he's like, all right, get up here, and so it was like a mad dash, like a blur of time. They escorted me over. They started the song like we didn't talk about what key is this gonna be in? Like it could have been an absolute train wreck. It could have been terrible. If they started that song too high or too low, I wouldn't have been able to sing it. But they played it in the exact key that we played it in. And I walked up there and he goes, what's your name? And I was like, Corey Ken? And he walks up to the mic and he goes, Corey Ken, everybody, And the coolest moment, I think still to this day, the coolest moment in my career was, you know, Willy obviously doesn't know if I can sing at all, Like I could have been terrible. So he's right there next to his mic, basically ready to take over if I get up there and bomb and uh. I start singing the fruit will I woke of this morning and I just saw this like huge grin on Willy's face of like.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank god, this kid can sing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: And he gets his big grin and he just nods at me and he lets me sing the whole song. And in the middle of the song, I'm like, nobody at school is gonna be leave this on Monday, like and nobody sixteen years old is at this Willie Nelson concert, Like, nobody from my school's here. So I pull out my phone and I'm like, I'm gonna snap a quick picture while they're taking a solo and I'm like, my hands are shaking. So I take this picture and it looks like the ghost of Willie Knison, Like you can't tell you can't you can't see anything. And so get done with the song and he's like, hey, come backstage after the show. I'd love to talk to you. And they send me back to the seat and I sit down and I'm like looking at my grandfather and he's still eyes closed, hands up. I'm like, did he he didn't even see this man, Like, I don't even know if he knew what was going on, but uh. I sat back down and I'm like, dang it, this is this is like the coolest moment of my life and nobody's gonna believe it and there's gonna be no proof of it. And I sit back down and the guy behind me taps me on the shoulder. He's like, are you gonna leave that sign down?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 8: Like, am I gonna be able to watch this show now? And I was like, yeah, I'm so sorry that and he goes, well, here's my card. I got the whole thing on film and he had a handycam.
Speaker 10: Wow.
Speaker 8: So the only video that exists is from that poor guy that was, you know, blocked the whole time. But that after the show, I got to talked to Willy for a few minutes and I was like, Hey, if you have any advice for a kid that wants to take a real stab at this this music thing, what would it be? And he goes, It's easy. You gotta write. You gotta write great songs. And if you don't know how to write great songs, you got to go spend some time in Nashville. Tennessee, where some of the greatest songwriters in the world live. And and that's what I did. Six months later, I was seventeen years old. I packed up and I moved out here, moved I slept in my truck till I made some friends and then crashed on their couches and tried not to overstay my welcome. But I've still not been able to reconnect with Willy. But that night changed my life, changed the trajectory of my life. And and uh, yeah, and now we're here.
Speaker 2: Tell me that's not a top five story. Yeah, the story. Yeah, I watch the video and it's like, I'm not sure the brand, but you're on like an under armour pullover. You got a short haircut, buzz cut, blue jeans. I mean, he just like a kid who was just playing baseball and then decided to, you know, go to the show. And you do see Willie just like smiling at you from the side, like, oh he's got this and he like it like tickled him.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you could tell it was. Uh. I mean, he's one of the obviously, he is one of the people who enjoys live music on a completely different level. I mean, he's he's still doing it like it brings him so much joy, and you can just tell in every show and he's playing with family members up there and everything. It was just I don't know it. That night really just solidified like what I wanted to do, but also just like built in this inherent love for live music. Like I think I just caught the bug from from him.
Speaker 2: Did you just have a fourth kid? I did? How long ago?
Speaker 8: Six months?
Speaker 2: How's that going? Well? Pure chaos four?
Speaker 8: Pure chaos, Yeah, fours.
Speaker 2: As far as live she.
Speaker 8: It's I'm my wife and I were talking. I was like, I don't know if if we got lucky on the fourth one or if we finally figured something out. But she is like the chillist, and it's like she knows she's the fourth and that we didn't have any more capacity, you know. So it's it's been really it's been really nice. And I feel like knowing like this was kind of our last hohoah. I think we just kind of approach it with a different mentality. I think we just have like a little more patience and we enjoy the like small moments a little more.
Speaker 2: How old is your oldest?
Speaker 8: Eight?
Speaker 2: So? Was it always you were gonna have four kids? Was that what you guys had talked about? Or do you just keep going because you enjoyed it.
Speaker 8: We always thought we'd have like three, and really we didn't know my wife's one of four, so that probably plays into it a little bit, but we didn't know. We thought we were done after three. And then in December of last year, we had a miscarriage that was kind of unexpected. The pregnancy itself was unexpected, obviously, like we had never walked through that, and that was, like, I I did not understand like the devastation that came along with that. Like I when when somebody else would be like, hey, this is what we walked through, I'd be like, man, I'm so sorry, but I had a hard time like sympathizing with that. And then after walking through it, I'm like, and you know what these these kids become, you know, those relationships and what they what they grow into, and it was just devastating. And I think that that was the moment that we realized, Okay, well maybe we're not done. Like we we wanted this more than we thought we did. And so, uh, thank god, Mike, you know, baby Ivy is here and healthy and but it's uh, it's pretty cool to hear our kids talk about it because they're like, they are very adamant about we have We have five kids in our family. We just have one up there and we'll get to meet her or him someday. But yeah, that's a not to bring the mood down or anything, but that's that's the story. That's the real raw story of how we ended up, uh with four kiddos, and life is just full and chaotic and fun. And it's really nice to uh, like they don't care at all about my music, like they I'm just dad, you know. So it's nice to have just like a really stable place to go home to people that love you for you, not for a platinum record on your wall or whatever.
Speaker 2: Do nice flexed on that in there at the end, Yeah well yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, or the platinum record on the wall. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I always just say, like, you know, someday, like people aren't gonna care, you know, someday they just everybody, even even some of the greatest of all time who have achieved everything, Like, I think that that fades, but I like measure, I'm like trying to p act out a bit, and I think like success to me is like, do my kids still want to hang out with me when I'm older and they've grown up? And like, how full is my table? You know when the music's gone, and hopefully that's not for a long time. But yeah, I just never wanted to have like personal life regrets. And you know, it's hard enough making it in music, right, like just to break through and become somebody that people are paying attention to. And we were like, man, that's hard. You know what we should do is have four kids in the middle of that and make it are really hard, you know, like the hardest part of raising kids and the hardest part of building a career. Let's do it all at the same time. But it's beautiful, it's chaotic, it's it's it's just full.
Speaker 2: You moved from Texas to Nashville. Then I know you moved back to Texas. Are you still in Texas now?
Speaker 8: Yeah? Moved there like really right, a few months before the pandemic and that was like, yeah, I live in Salina, Texas. And it's kind of a if it ain't broke, don't fix it approach, but yeah, we moved back. I got dropped as a songwriter I was writing songs for other people and just randomly got a phone call one Monday that said, hey, we really believe in you. We think that you have, you know, all the potential in the world, but you're fired. And I was like, dang, this is a terrible time. We just bought our first house out in Dixon, Tennessee, we just had our first baby, girl out here, and I lost my job, you know, and so we were like, well, we want to raise our kids around like, you know, my grandfather and my grandmother like super close to me, and my wife's part of a big Italian family and families everything. So we were like, we want to raise our kids with that. We want to give them that. And the only thing that was keeping us in Nashville was at that contract to write, and so when that kind of dried up, we moved out to Texas and I was like, all right, I'm getting the band back together. I'm gonna buy a van, We're gonna go hit the road. And everybody here in Nashville was like, dude, if you want a music career, you're basically committing career suicide by leaving. Like it's not gonna that, ain't gonna happen, and I was like, man, well, we're just gonna We're gonna give it all we got. We're gonna go build it the way that, you know, the only way that I knew how to build it, which was showed by Show on the Road. And as soon as we got there, like the world shuts down for a couple of years. It's like it was just the worst timing.
Speaker 2: So no to You're getting no publishing money because you're not not writing anymore, and now you can't tour to make money.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was the first time in my life, in my adult life, where it's like what do I, How am I? How am I gonna make any money? New baby, new baby?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 8: It was. It was brutal. So shopped around, tried to get any work that I could, worked at a motorcycle shop, worked at a pavement company, and just kept taking a We sold our house in Dixon, Tennessee, and we made like sixty thousand dollars on that house. And when when the world started finally opening up and early twenty twenty one, really Texas kind of opened up earlier than the rest of the world. Maybe not Florida, but uh.
Speaker 2: Not Tennessee either. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: So I was the only gig that I had was playing at a taco shop in Louisville, Texas, and I was just I was doing that for like fifty bucks and free tacos, you know, And but I just I had to do I had to play somewhere, like, I just I couldn't not play. It just was like for me, and uh yeah, I mean we just kept We took that sixty thousand dollars and in twenty twenty one, we were losing like one or two thousand dollars a night opening up for Randy Rodgers and Josh Abbott. We were getting paid like two hundred and fifty bucks, and obviously you got to pay the band, and we rode that money all the way down to within a thousand bucks. And then wild Ashurt came out and it it changed everything.
Speaker 2: So when you say wild As Heart came out, what do you mean, like you just put it up on streaming and then it popped.
Speaker 8: In a way. So we had put we had been putting out songs like every six to eight weeks, just religiously, and then at the end of that we put out eight or nine songs and it was like the end of twenty twenty one, and we were like, well, we kind of accidentally created a record, so we packaged it. We called it twenty one, and it kind of it did really well for us, especially in Texas. We were starting to see people show up at these shows, and we were kind of transitioning from the like the desired opener to like, oh, we can sell our own tickets now. And then I had this next song while just heard just like in the can, ready to go, but the record had just come out in December, like late December, and I remember talking to some people that I look up to and respect, and I'm like, what what do you think I should do next? Like I have this song? Should I put it out? And every He's like, don't put it out. You gotta let you just put out a record. You gotta let it breathe, you gotta let it have its moment. And I was just like, I just don't. I don't feel like anything that I've ever done by the book has worked ever, Like my everything has been backwards.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 8: You moved to Nashville, you think you got a job, right, and you get dropped, moved to Texas. You're gonna hit the ground run and you're gonna build it on the road and the world shuts down, right, And so I've been putting out this this music and I was like, I just we've been consistent. We should just do it again. So we put that song out in early March, so just you know, two months after releasing a record and it it was doing okay. And then I got a call from my manager, probably a month or maybe a couple months after the song was out, and he was like, Hey, I think you're having a moment on on social media. And I was like, what does that even mean? Because I'm I'm I'm very involved in like the creation of content, but I'm not super involved in like how we roll it out and the posting of it and all that. That just it drives me crazy. So I don't. I don't do a lot of that part of it. And he was like, You've got people making so many videos to this song. And it just kept growing, dude. It became a gold record while we were an independent band in Texas sept you know, rolling around in a van and it just kept going. And then we were playing a biker bar in McKinney, Texas, and twelve different record labels showed up and eleven people offered way yeah, and obviously not all based on that song. They came to the show and we were playing like two hour sets and we had sold out this little biker bar, maybe four or five hundred people. But they knew all the the they knew the twenty one record, they knew the from the West record, the stuff that we've been playing for a couple of years in that in that scene and uh yeah, we got eleven record deal offers and we picked the one that we thought was best team that would fit with us, and they took it to radio and now it's a uh triple platinum. Yeah, flex it, flex it freaking number.
Speaker 2: One hit, platinum number one.
Speaker 8: But to me, I'm like, I say that because I'm like, how crazy is that that song? Like we celebrated that song going number one in a van, Like it just was like this rags to Rich's moment of just like how what are the actual odds that you would get dropped moved to Texas? COVID happens. You keep putting out music and then eventually one becomes I mean it's still being played on the radio. It was just, uh, I don't know, and and hitting all those lows, you know, working at the pavement company, doing something I was terrible at that I wasn't you know, I wasn't passionate about just trying to get by, like hitting those lows. It when I finally got back to playing music, even though we were losing money every night, like I was happier than I had been in a long time, and I was like able to fully be I was like just filled with gratitude that I was able to do what I love to do again. And so I don't know, I tell that story and that it was like a like, look at what this song did and how big this song is. Just like the odds of that happening were so slim, Like I really thought that maybe music for me, maybe uh maybe the fulfillment that I was looking for was gonna just come from playing at the taco shop, you know, And that was that was maybe reality for me. But I was still gonna do that because I learned through that process that like, I love this, I have to do this for me, but obviously super grateful that these songs have connected with people and I get to do this for a living and take care of my family. It's uh it's a dream man.
Speaker 2: I saw you teasing a duet. Have you announced that yet?
Speaker 8: Uh? No, I haven't announced it, just teased it.
Speaker 2: I feelt titillated and is a good one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's pretty. It's pretty. It's pretty, dope. You said, no, it's not very good.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 8: I was in the studio actually last week. That was kind of the last like putting the bow on the record, this this feature and uh yeah. I looked over. The guy's manager was there, and I was like, you know how crazy this is for me? Like this guy's music the person you're not saying the person I'm not.
Speaker 5: Saying, but you're saying it's a.
Speaker 2: Guy's and it's somebody that the engineer was impressed by.
Speaker 5: I was picturing a girl.
Speaker 2: Okay, go ahead, Okay, Well, I was.
Speaker 8: Like the music that you know that this this particular dude's music was like really influential and and in my career and kind of the lane that I ended up in in country music. And I'm sitting there like hey, what if you try this? And then it just hit me. I was like what am I?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 8: How did I get here? Like I'm I'm making music with a guy that has influenced my music and he he's like, yeah, that's a good idea, and we're just going back and forth as as peers, and it was just a I don't know, I don't know if other people feel this way, but it's just a crazy it's just been. It's been a crazy journey for me. And I still feel like the regular dude that's working at the pavement company that gets to make music and to be in there with like, you know, a guy I really look up to who's done it at a high level for a really long time. It just like it's just crazy. It's like those moments where you life almost forces you to stop, slow down enough to smell the roses, and like, man, just life could have ended up so differently.
Speaker 2: Okay, made a list don't react, don't react. Obviously, number one on my list just guesses. Don't react. Guess, can't react. It's Willie Nelson just because of that story. And number two is going to be like Evan Felker from Turnpigh. Number three is going to be a Pat Green. You're reacting.
Speaker 8: I'm not reacting. I'm listening.
Speaker 2: I also put on like a stony LaRue or something. Oh, it could be really anyone because he's a Texas guy. You know, we all live in Texas for a long time. So I'm thinking about, like, who are the people that we and those guys have been doing it for a bit.
Speaker 5: I feel like with Willie though, I just this is just my first thought when you said that. I don't think he would suggest anything, like, you know, he said they were going back and forth as peers.
Speaker 2: That's a great point.
Speaker 5: Why don't we go ahead and try to take that down And like he'd probably just sit back like this, that's probably off the table.
Speaker 2: How did the Co Wetzel song come together?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 8: Oh? Man, this is a this is a fun one. So Co and I have been kind of and quite a few shows together, just getting build on the same things, you know, a lot of kind of musical fan overlap, and so got to spend some good time together hung out in Denver one night, and uh, I just realized how much cooler Co was than me because he was hanging out with like justin Gaechee and all these like top tier UFC fight I'm such a huge UFC fan, But uh, we were just hanging out and just that relationship naturally developed, and uh, I've been a fan of how Co has built his career for a long time. He's been you know, kind of outside of the mainstream for a bit, but just just built this this huge fandom, like he is a lot of people, especially in Texas, uh, and in that that area of the world, he's a lot of people's favorite country artists and anyway, so I've respected him for a long time, looked up to him in a lot of ways. And anyway, I wrote this song Rocky Mountain Low, And one of my favorite things about country music is like I think the challenge of being a good narrator, Like I know, a good example is like I know Garth Brooks didn't get shot by his ex wife, but I love hearing him saying thunder rolls, you know what I mean. Like George Strait is masterful storyteller. And you know, I even think like Hardy waiting the truck, like I know he's not in prison, but damn I believe the song. It's just so good, Like some people can tell stories so well. So this song felt like a really cool challenge to like can I tell this story well? But it got to the second verse and wrote it in the day that we wrote it with you know, three of my buddies. I was like, man, this just feels like this almost feels like co wrote this verse. And so I texted him the song and to get a duet across the finish line is like impossible. I mean, there's just especially if you guys are both on labels and you got you know, management, and just.
Speaker 2: So many people schedules.
Speaker 8: So I sent the song to Code and he was like, dude, I am in like, this is a song. And I was like, what if we just do it and don't tell anybody? And so that's exactly what we did. We booked a studio out in Cisco, Texas, and booked the film crew, and we went out there and we cut the song and we turned it in and I said, hey, I want this to be the first thing off the new record. I think this is the this is the perfect thing to kind of set the tone for the next chapter of country music in my career. And you know, three days later, it shipped to radio. Like, to my team's credit, they won, they didn't they didn't get in the way of that. They were really fully behind it. But two, it was like, you know, in today's world, everything's very data heavy. It's like all the song's got a it's got a stream x amount for x amount of time, and then it'll go to radio if it hits all these benchmarks. And and we were just like, man, we really co and I both really believe people are gonna dig this song, Like our fans are gonna like this, and we should just follow that and like forget the data. Like we still there's still a place for like taste making in country music. Like I tell this dumb story about like getting my son to try steak for the first time. He's like, well, it's not a cheeseburger. I'm like, just close your eyes and try this. You don't know you're gonna love this, but you don't know it yet, and you know it takes for a buy. He's like, this is amazing, you know. And I still feel like that is that is a responsibility of artists. But I think we kind of lose the forest for the trees sometimes and we want to know without a doubt that a song's gonna work. But the beauty of this was like we followed our gut, we followed our intuition, and we put this song out and it's been the fastest climbing radio single we've ever had, and just like a really a really cool and different texture to in the country music landscape. It should have been a fun, fun thing, but uh yeah, I kind of took a page out of Coast Book and we just did whatever the we wanted to do.
Speaker 2: That's definitely a page out of Coach book. Yeah, that's the that's the book he wrote. Yeah, it does of whatever he wants whatever, and I respect him for it.
Speaker 8: Me too, man. I mean that's kind of like what we were talking about earlier. Just the way that he's gone about his business is like silence the noise, follow your gut, and it's worked out pretty well for him.
Speaker 2: So, new album you just announced, a Heartland rock and roll. Is there a data when you're putting it out? I think there is, or like an era a month or something.
Speaker 8: Yeah, September, I know, September. I think that they put a specific date on there.
Speaker 2: How many songs fifteen? Did you have more than that and you had to like cut it down to fifteen? Yeah? Is that hard?
Speaker 8: It is tough, man, especially in an era where people are putting out thirty five song records. But you know, I got to be realistic about where I am in my career. I don't think people have the I don't have the attention span to listen to thirty five songs from anybody. So I just like, I don't know. I think fifteen is a good a good number. I have only really put out like ten, eleven, twelve song records. That's kind of been my formula of just onto the next. But this one, man, to be honest with you, I've obviously been proud of any record that I've put out, because like, you work hard on them and you believe in the songs. But like when I think of Stapleton, I think of the Traveler Record, When I think of of Eric Church, I think of the Chief Record, when I think of Kings of Leon, I think about Come Around Sundown. Like there's just certain records that I just you know, John Mayer, I think of Continuum. There's just certain records that are just catalysts in these people's careers. But it's just what I think about when I think about that artist, and I've never really felt like I had that, and I think, really, for the first time ever, I'm like, man, this might be the record that when people think about my name, they're going to think about this record, and that's an exciting place to be, and so I just didn't want I finally got some time. You know, you have to put out music so fast, I think, faster than ever. Finally just was like stop rushing, like trust the process. Let's just make the best record we can possibly make, and when it's done, it's done. And if it's not done, then we don't put it out yet. And it just it took a little bit of time, but kind of putting the finishing touches on it just really last week it feels special and we're, you know, three singles in and Rocky Mountain Low's doing its thing in the top ten at radio. Empty Words is going We're gonna have two songs on the radio at the same time, which is crazy, Like never really dreamed that was a possibility. So so far, people are really resonating with the new stuff, and it feels like we might be onto something special.
Speaker 2: We're gonna play Empty Words. I don't know, give me a little story, a little anecdote about this one.
Speaker 8: This is a deep cut that I never thought anybody would care about. That people really, really connected with. It was gonna be a song that I loved that nobody cared about, because that's usually how it goes. My favorite songs are I mean, I think a lot of artists feel that way. But this song is is it just doesn't sound like anything else. You know, it's a it's got a lot of it's a lot of soulful influence in in this and uh, we we made this song, created like every aspect of it in the third floor of Combustion, just me and my one of my best friends, Austin Goodlow, who's produced in this record. And a lot of times you take the the what you create in that moment and then you're like, let's go to the studio and then let's add all these A list players and let's see if we can make it better. This particular song, we were like, sometimes it's just it just is perfect when you when you originally create it. And so we took what we originally created, we didn't mess with it, and we just put it out and uh, it's been it's been a really awesome thing to see. I mean, we played we knew it was gonna be special with played this show in Sacramento. We just picked up a random show and it was a little club and it was a sold out crowd, and they sang this song like every word as loud as they sang Wild as heard or the stuff that's been on the radio, and so it just feels like it feels like they've taken ownership of this song and now it's gonna be It's gonna be on the radio.
Speaker 2: We're gonna play it. Also, guys, go watch Corey. If you go to Corey Kent Official, all the dates are up. You got a lot of shows all the way to the end of the year. So great live performer. I think people know you mostly as that. Like if they say, hey, what's Corey good at the first thing they say is he's raight live, and so yeah, do not know they say that they should tell you that then, because mostly like people that like you and have worked with you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, I you know what, living in Texas, it is really kind of tough to know what people think of you. I don't hear like I'm not seeking that out. I'm not trying to figure out what do people think of me all the time. But I'm also just like one layer removed from I actually do ask my manager. I'm like, you know, are we doing are we doing good? I just don't know, Like I feel like we're doing good. But I also just I'm not here, like I'm not I'm not like immersed in it twenty four seven like I used to be, and so uh.
Speaker 2: Behind your back, people say, man, that dude's great live right on.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's that's like, that's the highest compliment to me, because I you know, I think a lot of people would write songs even if they didn't perform live. To me, I'm like, if I could record and write but I couldn't play live, I just would do something else, like live music, even from that night with Willie Nelson, Like that is why, that is why I got into this, Like live music is what I love. So that's that's a reassuring that's awesome.
Speaker 2: We're gonna play empty words. I'm big fan Corey. Good to see you, man, Good to see you too.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Everybody good. Yeah, man, you guys had enough.
Speaker 8: You guys are so quiet storyteller, we're talking too much, like I didn't hear anything.
Speaker 2: If it wasn't good, we'd have been doing bits in between, Okay, we'd have been like, Amy, how do you feel about his hat? What does look for stuff? I'm doing bad guests? Yeah, when you're killing it, you're on your box.
Speaker 5: I'd be like, what kind of cologne do you wear? Because you so really good.
Speaker 2: That's when you know interviews are going bad. Yeah yeah, but really he does he smells good. Yeah, he hugged you.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe that's why I still smell it.
Speaker 8: I don't know. It's like, uh, the I'm gonna mess this up my freaking rednecks about the show.
Speaker 10: It's like.
Speaker 8: But but it's not like the one that everybody knows. No, it's not that it's.
Speaker 5: A new scent to me, but I like it.
Speaker 2: Lalabo Horse Tall Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: I'm always so impressed by people who can like smell something and be like that's this. I'm like, I don't possess that that like dark magic that people can do.
Speaker 2: I gotta play your song. I gotta play afty more. All right, I got to a song. It's Corey Kent. This is new song. Empty Words album comes out in September. Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, Ish's Corey Kent. Everybody great, God.
Speaker 8: Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: It's the best bits of the Week with Morgan.
Speaker 3: Number two, A listener called in and wanted some dating updates from Amy.
Speaker 2: Is she dating?
Speaker 3: Is she thinking about dating? Does she want to get married again one day? What's the situation going on? So here's an update on Amy's love.
Speaker 1: Life number four.
Speaker 2: All right, voicemail, Good morning studio.
Speaker 9: I was just wondering if Amy ever planned to date again, or if she's going to get into it, or if she's been talking to any guys. I feel like she hasn't been talking about that much lately, and I just wonder what she had planned love the show.
Speaker 5: I mean, no plan, but I would imagine I will date again, but I'm not and I'm over do it. Yeah, Like, do I want to be alone the rest of my life? Considered it? But I don't. I don't think that's for me.
Speaker 2: You know what, being alone?
Speaker 5: Here's the thing. I think I probably could do it, but then that would be very lonely.
Speaker 2: But are you going to find someone to say you're not alone?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: I don't think that's the goal. I just want That's what I watched my mom do. My mom never dated, she never got it was crazy that she went so many years just and she got content, and I know I could be like her and I could get that way, and I'm not going to let myself. So that's more so I'm I want to experience life with someone.
Speaker 2: Are you actively no? Are you on any app?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Do you plan to be?
Speaker 5: No? I mean I did the app thing.
Speaker 2: And how do you expecting to change then?
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm I'm just literally asking you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey, I've got this friend, got match maker, he wants to go out.
Speaker 2: That's what happened with your boyfriend, right, Yeah, you're set up.
Speaker 5: So I could that So maybe that could happen again. I'm not sure. I know organically, I know my friend just talked to me about that this weekend. She was like, well, what what what did you do? And I was like, well, it was rainy. I didn't do much of anything. I mean, so it's hard like she was. She's singles. She goes out with groups of friends and they meet people and she loves doing that. Like I don't have the desire to just go out and meet people. Yeah, I don't either right now, just generally speaking, and that might change, Like maybe there'll be a day that comes up where I'm like, Okay, Yeah, let's go. I want to go, but that's just not where I am.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you for the question. Lave's voicemail.
Speaker 1: It's the best bits of the week with Morgan.
Speaker 2: Number two.
Speaker 3: Lunchbox has another bone to pick with the whole education situation, but this time not exactly teachers, maybe more so room parents. But there's a situation that involves teachers and he has a.
Speaker 2: Lot to say. Number three, folks wants to complain about teachers again. So here we go, right, Yeah, so.
Speaker 7: We got the email from I guess it's called the room parent. They have someone at no, no, it's like a parent that helps around the classroom. And they said, hey, don't forget the teachers are taking down all their stuff in the classroom. They're going to be out of the building by this coming Friday. We would like to give the teacher an end of the year gift. We are asking for twenty to twenty five dollars per student.
Speaker 2: WHOA how many students in the class get in our rollax?
Speaker 6: And what ah, there's probably eighteen. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of money.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but hold on.
Speaker 7: We just did teacher Appreciation Week and now we're doing into the year gifts. Teachers are getting more gifts than anybody I've ever met in my life. Like, why are we getting all these gifts? Like what are we saying, oh, teacher appreciation? We you know, they want to do all this stuff and now it's into the year gift? What was teacher appreciation then? What if they would have said?
Speaker 2: And I feel like this would have been probably better five dollars per person. Twenty bucks seems like a lot per person for a gift for the teacher eighteen student. I like the idea of any of the teacher an end of the year gift if they did a great job. Twenty bucks seems high. Five bucks for each person. Can I say this is turning into tipping culture?
Speaker 7: I do not remember, and I'd had to ask my parents, but there was none of this get teachers gifts for a week when we were kids. There was no end of the year gift for teachers when we were kids. Why all of a sudden are we doing this? Did you, as a parent say no, I don't know.
Speaker 5: You can opt out. You're not forced to participate in the I wouldn't, but you could.
Speaker 2: I feel like if there was one time to opt out though it's at the end of the year because you don't have see that teacher anymore.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, but do you think the home parent or the parent teacher whatever would tell them like, hey, everyone did accept Daniel.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: See, I don't think the teacher's ever going to know, but the other parents will and you will likely be if your kids are at the same school, you're going to be with the same parents.
Speaker 7: You're opting in, right, yes, but it's just like it's getting out of control, Like what is going on? We've got to put a stop at some point. So are we gonna are we now coming two and a half months? Are we going to do a welcome back to school gift? Like, hey, let's start off to your good here's a present for the teacher to say, we're excited about the year ahead.
Speaker 6: It's crazy, do you do you am? I? Am I? You guys kind of agree with me on this one.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like, let me ask you, what is what's the most precious thing in your life?
Speaker 6: My kids?
Speaker 4: So you like spend a little money to think the people that.
Speaker 5: They're spending hours and hours.
Speaker 4: Hours, So look at it that way.
Speaker 7: Okay, then why do we have teacher appreciation Week to appreciate them as well.
Speaker 6: Okay, now, so.
Speaker 7: How many appreciation gifts are we going to give them?
Speaker 5: Okay, well right now if it's the beginning of the year, appreciation week and end of year, that's three and then maybe Christmas.
Speaker 6: No, no appreciation week. They had a different theme every day.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's right. Wow to a different school because I never had.
Speaker 2: Oh that's not happening with you, guys. What if they're only just targeting you.
Speaker 6: Maybe they see.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they see radio guy Baller and they think, oh, you show up on your bike.
Speaker 2: They're like that guy, he's got it, he's got it together. So what's the point here.
Speaker 7: I just think it's getting out of control, Like we are turning this Like the teachers, they work, they do things, but why are we acting like they are doing this amazing like changing.
Speaker 2: They are doing amazingly. They are changing lives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, they're teaching your kids shapiness.
Speaker 7: Sometimes you get your doctor a gift, my doctor, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't see my doctor near as much as a kid was a teacher, which is everything.
Speaker 7: But if the doctor, like Eddie, the guys that either the doctors and nurses that saved you from mercer or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sect, what did you give them? Nothing? That's money you paid, money, we paid, But you're not paying your teachers.
Speaker 6: My tax dollars are paying those teachers.
Speaker 2: But his wasn't a tax dollars.
Speaker 4: Hey, that's not a bad idea. So start appreciating the doctors and giving them.
Speaker 2: I mean, so you want to do that too, So you want to No, no, give more people gifts.
Speaker 7: No, that's what I'm saying. Like, we do teachers, but we don't do everybody. It's it's out of control. It needs to stop.
Speaker 2: Then why don't you reply to that email? Be the man you say you are, apply back and say, hey, this is out of control. It needs to stop. Did you tip your doctor? Yeah, like the way you said it here, dude, Yeah, be the guy.
Speaker 6: I'll just send them a link to this.
Speaker 5: Be like I get teachers do things. Yeah, but this is ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just tipping culture. Do the whole bit you just did here in an email. Okay, I love that it needs to stop. Yeah, with exclamation, you're going to be the first person to stop it. We got to draw a line in the same don't link us, you just say it in an email. Okay, okay, let us know how that goes. I will, but you're still gonna give them money probably, Okay.
Speaker 1: It's the best bits of the week with Morgan.
Speaker 3: Number two, Amy's son was out running and he was offered a ride from a stranger, and Amy shared the whole story behind it, what went down, and how they handled it, plus how would you handle it if a stranger offered you a ride.
Speaker 2: Number two Amy Sun was out running. It's been raining here, and some dude was like, hey, you want to ride?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 5: He got back from his run and came inside and he was like, some guy asked me if I needed to ride home?
Speaker 2: So instead of stranger danger, can I again just be Devil's advocate a little bit? Your son looks like an adult. No, no, he's a teenager. But he's a tall teenager. If it were like a seven year old, I would go stranger danger for sure. Run. I almost feel like that's just somebody trying to help somebody out running in the rain.
Speaker 4: Was it a pickup truck or like get in the car?
Speaker 5: No, just to hey, no, like I don't know. He said, a small suv and the guy asked if he needed to ride home, and he was like no, and then he just.
Speaker 8: Ran offt smart.
Speaker 2: I would have also ran off. He did the exact right thing, but if it's an eleven year old, it's different. Right. Did your son feel like he was trying to abduct him?
Speaker 5: No? I think he thought it was odd. He's never had somebody pull over and ask him if he needed a ride before, and all he's ever heard if someone offers you to get in the car and take you somewhere, like you say no. And so he just was a little I don't want to say shaken up, but a little like mom, that was weird, right, And I said that is that is weird, and he it could have been a kind gesture. However, I'm thinking, as an adult, would I pull over and ask a teenager if they needed to ride.
Speaker 2: Home they're running in the rain?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Probably not unless you're a runner. And he did it.
Speaker 5: He knew it was he went out to run specifically in the rain.
Speaker 2: But the guy doesn't know that, right. I'm just saying, I'm glad he didn't get in the car. No, change, don't get in the car. Yeah, nope. However, your son is bigger than like a kid, that can't fight and like punch and beat somebody up. And then also it was a rainy I know it would.
Speaker 5: Any buddy in this room ask a kid if they need a ride home?
Speaker 2: No, it's a rain kid's a weird thing. How about young adult? He is a kid, I mean an adult.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't even ask him if they need a.
Speaker 2: Right I might. I might, yeah, if it's pouring down rain and they got themselves caught out there, Hey man, you need to ride?
Speaker 4: And i'd he's sitting there like, oh gosh, covering himself here walking lunchbox.
Speaker 7: Man, I feel like I wouldn't offer, but I do feel like when I hear it, it does. Think he sees a guy and he's running, so he's like, oh man, he just got caught in the rain. He's trying to run to get out of the rain. So he's like, man, I'm gonna do something nice. I'm asking him if he needs a ride home.
Speaker 5: That's yeah, Maybe I don't know the right thing.
Speaker 2: He did the right thing.
Speaker 5: I just have a bad taste in my mouth about people because in general, because I was like, who does that? Who asks? And he was right. It's all like Stevenson was seeking shelter under a like he was running, and I think it was that there's this part on the street where he has to cross the road and you have to wait for the crosswalk, so you have to press the button, and he was waiting there.
Speaker 6: He looks like he's stuck in the rain.
Speaker 2: In the rain, nobody normal.
Speaker 5: He was waiting for the walk button so he could go.
Speaker 2: Stuck in the rain.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: The guy sees him stuck in the rain, like, oh my gosh, you're just standing at a crosswalk getting drinking.
Speaker 5: Some might say he looks twelve.
Speaker 2: No, he's sixteen. He's tall.
Speaker 5: He's fifteen and he how tall do you think he is?
Speaker 2: I was with him a month ago. He's he's like.
Speaker 5: Here, okay on me, He's here, Okay, Yeah, that's his hair is tall.
Speaker 2: That could be it. I'm glad. I'm not advocating for him getting in that car. I'm just saying I don't necessarily think that was stranger danger. It just could have been somebody, out of the goodness of their heart, looking to help someone who got stuck in the rain.
Speaker 5: I don normally I can see the good.
Speaker 2: If I were going to be a predator, I would pick somebody more vulnerable, not a tall, strong, sixteen year old boy could beat me up. Yeah fifteen sorry, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And he was he dressed like he was running to see Like, all that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 6: What would does that mean? He's dressed like he's.
Speaker 2: It doesn't look like he's walking from.
Speaker 5: School, right, he's got his headphones like he was on a run.
Speaker 2: I just challenge you to not lose faith in Yes, yes, in humanity.
Speaker 5: Thank you, it's right.
Speaker 2: But eighty percent chance creepo twenty percent just a good person trying to help somebody out in a bad day.
Speaker 5: My main thing was I wanted to ask everybody in the room, like, would any of you stop? And none of us would?
Speaker 2: I think lunchbox would. Well, it just depends if it were an adult and I felt like they were trapped in the rain. I possibly depending on what carm uh right.
Speaker 1: It's the best bits of the week with Morgan. Number two.
Speaker 3: We had listener Kyler in our studio this week. You may know him as the one who keeps all the stats for all of our.
Speaker 2: Games, who wins, who loses? You know, me always losing.
Speaker 3: He's stopped by the studio with a grip challenge for us, which is super competitive in the studio. If you listen to this and you love it, you can also go watch it on our YouTube page Appobby Bone Show.
Speaker 1: Number one, So Bobby Bones Show Interviews in case you didn't know.
Speaker 2: Forgut Sue's got the strongest hands on the show because Kyler Innis is here. He is a professional di wire and like he literally that's what he does. But he's gone super viral on social media testing people's grip strengths. Not only that, this is the guy that keeps all of our stats for games. He listens to every single segment we do and then calls us at the beginning of every year and gives us all the stats. But we told him come up to the show. We're all going to test our grip strength now with Kyler Innis. So what's the did you buy the grip machine from like the internet or I.
Speaker 11: Ordered it off Amazon? This is like my sixth one. There's been a few that have broken.
Speaker 2: Is it because so much use or because some people are just so strong.
Speaker 10: So much use use and abuse?
Speaker 2: You ever met anybody that's so freaking strong and you're like, dah, it goes wild.
Speaker 10: Uh, There's one guy.
Speaker 11: He was my plumbing excavator and he's like seven foot tall three eighty five and he just absolutely crushed it.
Speaker 10: He's the strongest guy I've tested for sure.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this because we're gonna do this. Oh great, I think I'm last. I'm gonna be honest with you. I think I have the weakest hands of all the dudes. You just did a test that you're physical, right I did.
Speaker 11: Did they have you hold it over your head or like a ninety degree angle? Do they have you do it any specific way?
Speaker 2: And then even tell me I was doing it. They're like, here, grab this and pull, and I did it, and I was like all right. They said, okay, you're strengthen this hand. I was like, I don't even warm my I know we were like measuring this, and then I did the other hand, which was a little bit more. But no, he's supposed to above your head.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 11: Some people have said you're stronger if you hold it above your head, but I don't know. I just tell the whoever I'm testing, like, hey, just however, you can feel like you're the strongest, just rip it.
Speaker 2: I feel the strongest naked, Okay, Okay. If I'm completely butt naked, I feel like I can pull the hardest. I think Scuba Steve is number one.
Speaker 4: Well now he's just angry. That isn't an equal.
Speaker 2: It does, though, sometimes I think Ray Mundo is number two. That's wrong. Mike d is number three. Lunchbox, you're doing that.
Speaker 6: I'm not.
Speaker 2: If I were betting on this, it would go. Lunchbox is an eddie then me. So is your machine? Do you have to like plug it in or anything? No?
Speaker 5: You just you just squeeze it, squeeze it go.
Speaker 2: Can we get him a piece of paper? And I don't want him to tell us the results as we do them. We'll do them all. He'll write them all down, rank them and then he'll read them to us like that. Scuba, you want to come in first? That's finales do yeah, all right, here is our executive producer, Scuba Steve. He's coming in, Kyler. What is this thing called this machine?
Speaker 10: It's called a dynamometer.
Speaker 2: So we pick one hand? You give it a rip? Do you want it?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 6: You only do one hand?
Speaker 2: So ugly, Scuba Steve. Are you ready?
Speaker 10: Yes, I'm ready, Yes, just one hand.
Speaker 11: Only take your other hold it, hold it to your side or however you feel strongest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, area three.
Speaker 11: Yeah, whenever you let go, it'll show like the number that you maxed out.
Speaker 2: And don't don't say your number three to go. That's a strong You don't have to hold any Relax, bro, are you a little bit? Scuba? Steve is done? Hey, Raymundo, you come in Scuba. Steve can take your spot there on the old soundboard if needed.
Speaker 6: It was very interesting. Hey might want to try that upside down so Ray doesn't see the number?
Speaker 10: Good call?
Speaker 2: All right, Raymondo?
Speaker 10: What I do?
Speaker 2: Get there? You go? Looks okay, diarrhea? So my again My prediction is scuba. Then Ray, Mike, do you want to go next? Let's go and oh Mike is shaking very silent, like hey, it's quiet, Mike, he lives silent. There you go, lunch box.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah you ready?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: Here we go, all right, I don't need my shirt on or off on?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 2: Here we go. Here goes down like this. You do it above your head, my head and go.
Speaker 5: That barely moved, I mean, also hit the light.
Speaker 2: It also nailed the light. I know, Eddie. My next yeah, all right, go and break it.
Speaker 10: Due.
Speaker 2: That looked pretty good. I'm surprised at that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was an interesting maneuver.
Speaker 2: All right, is it me? All right?
Speaker 6: Bobby?
Speaker 5: Is this how people on the job site do it?
Speaker 2: They don't go and what.
Speaker 6: Did they grunt? My back hurt?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you kind of have to grunt.
Speaker 4: I feel the back hurts.
Speaker 6: Dude. You can hurt my back.
Speaker 2: You can put everything in it.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: Okay, who is the strongest baby grip on the show?
Speaker 10: Scuba?
Speaker 2: Scuba?
Speaker 11: Still by two point four pounds? He got one thirty one at number two?
Speaker 10: Number two? You got Ray Mundo at one twenty nine.
Speaker 7: Wow, So far Bobby's preseason rankings are dead on nailed.
Speaker 2: Ray Mundo at too strong?
Speaker 6: Ray?
Speaker 2: What was their difference?
Speaker 10: Two point four pounds?
Speaker 2: That's not a lot, right, it's pretty close? Oh yeah, yeah, get you guys? All right, guys, did you guys all look at your number?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, you didn't even see your number?
Speaker 6: No idea?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I didn't look at it. Okay, number, Just give us the grip of the third person?
Speaker 10: One fourteen point two?
Speaker 5: What were they that's gotta be one twenty nine? Was raised?
Speaker 6: One? We're way down there.
Speaker 2: That's a big draw a number three is is Eddie talking about low T with lo T? Yeah, if you got your tea up, dude, I would know. Wow. Okay, I was wrong on that one. I thought yes, okay. The next score.
Speaker 10: Number four, we got you at ninety four point eight.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my gosh, what was I finished fourth? That's awesome for my gosh, Oh my god, I got little princess hands. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: There's two pid lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lunchbox and Mike d oh no, same looking good for me? Okay, I got high tea so far, Scuba at one, Ray at two, Eddie at three, Me at four. Thank god I'm not last. And then we have Mike and lunchbox. Hey you feel Mike?
Speaker 4: I think I feel good about beating lunch Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you got this.
Speaker 7: I mean the last time I've been to the gym seventh grade. So I don't know, man, I'm not feeling too good about this. It's been a long time since I've used my hands for work.
Speaker 2: All right? And who came in fifth?
Speaker 10: Wait?
Speaker 6: You want to go last now? Because you just want to announced last.
Speaker 2: Who came in the fifth? Yeah, you got Mike d fifth, so last place? Launch my.
Speaker 8: Last.
Speaker 2: You last. Yeah, you're the weakest of all loser.
Speaker 11: That's all right, So Mike, Mike got eighty six and Lunch got seventy six.
Speaker 2: You want to do the lady It? Sure?
Speaker 4: Okay, Hey, preseason up there?
Speaker 2: I think Morgan is at one, Amy's at two and Abby three.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Abby might struggle picking it up.
Speaker 5: I feel like Abby's.
Speaker 2: Just lifting it up.
Speaker 4: She's going to freak out and not squeak.
Speaker 2: She gets so nervous about it slips out of her hands. Morgan, okay, yeah, all right? Walking up now? Is Morgan ready? One? Two? Three? Go? You're strong? All right? Amy's walking up now to take the grip challenge with no shoes. There we go and go.
Speaker 6: Pretty good?
Speaker 2: Amy? She squeezing. Yeah, she said she can barely open a jar. All right, Abby, I was walking in to take the grip test.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 5: You guys feeling any pain?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure my arm?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We don't do a show tomorrow because we're all at the hospital. Abby ready, Abby, don't get nervous and go, oh god, whoa what her gun?
Speaker 4: I think you're right. Preseason odds are right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I think Amy is gonna be better than probably she thought though, because I thought you looked pretty good doing it. Okay, so who was the strongest.
Speaker 10: You got Morgan at sixty seven point.
Speaker 12: Four goods for close seventy six dang, so close. And second second you have Abby.
Speaker 11: At fifty two pounds, and then Amy got forty five pous.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Amy, your heart's about to explode. I don't think I believe that we're going to lose you.
Speaker 5: Oh no, guys, I gotta go to the doctor.
Speaker 2: Take lunchbox away with you. Oh no, oh wow.
Speaker 5: I didn't scream though, that was the problem. They scream? Should I scream?
Speaker 2: I mean you probably could have. Yeah, even ever pooped your pants doing it, because I feel like that's the same muscle that I was using like a push.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let me scream.
Speaker 2: All right, this is exhibition. Hold it above your head. Okay, now I know, and go.
Speaker 8: Shooter.
Speaker 2: That's pretty select though, that's pretty selectly. Tried to hands. That's pretty good.
Speaker 5: It was natural. I didn't mean do it just feels better?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: Is that higher? Thirty eight went down?
Speaker 5: Guys around with me?
Speaker 4: Guys your yeah, your heart is now, your heart is bad.
Speaker 2: You're what are you squeeze higher than all those squeeze squeeze one for us.
Speaker 8: Oh gray ish, get it.
Speaker 2: Up and oh dude, look at his arm one ninety three. Yeah, without even really doing it, he.
Speaker 5: Just like blinked.
Speaker 8: Dang.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's pretty cool. So Scuba one thirty two, Ray one twenty nine, Eddie one fourteen ninety four, Mike D eighty six, Lunchbox seventy six. That is not really Eddie. I apologize, Thank you, man, I thought you would finish next to last.
Speaker 4: Dude, I'm strong even with low t baby.
Speaker 10: That's a wide range of numbers there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Scooba is pretty strong, right, one thirty two him and right, those are pretty strong numbers generally. Yeah, what's strong in your mind? What numbers is generally? Just strong?
Speaker 5: Thirty eight?
Speaker 10: I mean, yeah, thirty eight.
Speaker 11: I bet at this point I've probably tested like over a thousand people, and I'd say like anything over like one.
Speaker 10: Sixty is like elite.
Speaker 11: Oh dang elite then, But average, like on the job site especially, is usually around like one twenty five, one thirty.
Speaker 4: It's average on the job site guys that work with their hands all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel yeah, Kyler, where's the.
Speaker 4: Line between like women and men.
Speaker 10: Like the strongest woman. Yeah, the strongest I've tested is one eighteen.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 11: Nice, and then my wife is in second place at one twelve.
Speaker 2: But you guys said, I'm like tractors, and I mean I would work out doing it.
Speaker 10: No, I actually have like pretty bad tennis elbow. I'm wondering if it's from I'm always doing that.
Speaker 11: But like anytime I do, like trained back day or anything, I don't use straps anything like that.
Speaker 10: It's just I don't know, and working with your hands.
Speaker 2: A lot generally, if a guy like myself gets up to do that and he's wearing pink, how does that turn out.
Speaker 10: About like it did?
Speaker 2: Okay, you know I want a little pink here. What are you guys doing while you're in Nashville.
Speaker 11: Well, our anniversaries tomorrow and so we're gonna figure out something to do.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you came in. Seriously, this is fine. You have provided a lot of fun for us to every year when we talk to you, and if you come back to Nashville, bring it back, kink. I'm a train like a mofotel.
Speaker 10: Come back in a year.
Speaker 2: I have one hand that's hug and one that's small.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: You guys follow Kyler at Kyler Ennis and we really appreciate you and you have happy anniversary. I hope you guys have a great couple of days.
Speaker 5: How many years are you celebrating?
Speaker 10: Nine years?
Speaker 2: Congrats? What's what's what's nine years like? Cloth?
Speaker 10: I don't know?
Speaker 2: All right, there he is Kyler.
Speaker 10: Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: It's the Best Bits of the Week with Morgan.
Speaker 6: Number two.
Speaker 5: That wraps up for the weekend.
Speaker 3: Thanks for catching up on the Bobby Bone Show. Remember you can follow us everywhere at Bobby Bone Show. Abby is on part one this weekend with me and you can check out my podcast take this personally. I add a guest on named Dave Rossi and he has a book called Alpha's Die Early. So it was a conversation all about alphas. If this is where I leave you, I hope you have a great weekend. Bye everybody.
Speaker 1: That's the Best Bits of the Week with Morgan.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Be sure to check out the other two parts this weekend. Go follow the show on all social platforms.
Speaker 5: Bobby Bone Show and followed
Speaker 1: Webgirl Morgan to submit your listener questions for next week's episode,