Speaker 1: And welcome back to Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkchin. I'm his son, Jeff Kirchin. Again, you have outdressed me, Dad, But you are again at ESPN doing all of the broadcasts. I see you on TV all the time, Sports Center, Baseball Tonight, doing all the things. And we're still talking about this trade deadline. We did a special episode back on Tuesday. We had Jim Bowden on the show the day before that. So this has been such a fun week in Major League Baseball, right Dad?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: And not only have I outdressed you, Jeff, I am wearing makeup today too. And for everyone in our business knows how to do his or her own makeup, I of course don't, so when I come into ESPN, they put makeup on me, which is always helpful. I remember my first year at ESPN. I looked at one of the makeup artists, I having never done makeup before, and said, do do I need makeup? It was a rhetorical question, but she said, yes, you need a lot of makeup. I thought that was I thought that was a bit unnecessary, but she laughed. I laughed, of course, why wouldn't we more important, Jeff, this is your last Is this a great game episode that we're going to do with you as a thirty two year old, because on Sunday, August the ninth, you will turn How old will you be?
Speaker 2: You'll be thirty three years old?
Speaker 3: Jeff. Sorry, that's so great, right, And who's our greatest number thirty three in baseball history? Let's see if you can remember that, Jeff. He hit the most sacrificed flies of anyone in history and yet never led the league in sacrifice flies.
Speaker 2: In any one season.
Speaker 3: He hit five hundred homers, and for me, after Mickey Mantle, he might be might be the greatest wwitch hitter ever Number thirty three, Jeff Eddie Murraha, Yes, yes, Jeff, you got it on the eighth clue.
Speaker 1: Well, really, the five hundred homers automatically, like tons of players just leave the memory, right, because you're just five hundred club is unbelievable. I mean, you're almost automatically a Hall of Famer. I'm not making takes here. I know steroid era excuse me really fast, but you know, excluding those guys, five hundred home runs pretty much put you in the Hall of Fame. It took me a second to get there switch hitter and nailed it. So yeah, yeah, I don't ever get questions right. I got that one right.
Speaker 2: You did. Way to go, Jeff.
Speaker 3: All right, I need makeup today because I haven't slept in two days because my flight got canceled. My morning flight got canceled two days in a row, which caused a few issues, especially for poor pop pop, who you know, has to have things in order then when they get thrown out of order. But I made it, and I made it to ESPN today and I'll be here tomorrow, so we're all good.
Speaker 2: Every thing is good. But I need a little sleep, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Hopefully Wednesday night tonight, when we're after a recording, I'll get some sleep.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: Oh that's good. Yeah, I mean, Dad, you taught me growing up you'll never remember how tired you were. And trust me, after raising one daughter now too, I surely remember how tired I was. But the point you always made to me was, hey, like do the things because it's gonna be a memory to have. You're always gonna remember this trade deadline. It's been crazy, but it's been fun. I know you're having a great time hanging out with your friends at ESPN and doing all these shows and doing this dinky little podcast with me. I'm exhausted all the time. I just submitted a form, Dad, I'm an idiot. I submitted a form to run to be a director of our HLA in my new neighborhood. What am I doing?
Speaker 2: Jeff?
Speaker 3: That might be the dumbest decision you never made, other than growing a mustache.
Speaker 2: Why would you do that?
Speaker 1: Dad? Oh gosh, because I really care about this neighborhood. We're in a brand new build in Pennsylvania, forty two homes, and I want to make sure that you know this neighborhood remained safe and clean and beautiful. And a bunch of neighbors came to me after I'd had a couple of drinks on the fourth of July and said, Jeff, you would be really good on the H twoa board. Everybody knows you and loves you. So I did it. I said, Yeah, I'm going for it, all right, Jeff. But I Dad, you know what happened. I ran for the board in my old neighborhood. Have I ever told you this story. I became a member of the board, three members. Right the election comes up. I came in fourth, and I was only brought onto the board because somebody died. So a guy died on the board, and they said, well, let's just get the guy who came in fourth, and so they said, all right, you're so. I didn't even win, but somebody had hie. And listen, Las Vegas Police is still trying to call me asking if I know anything about this. I'm the number one suspect, but it was natural causes. I had nothing to do with it. I don't care that much about being on the h It wouldn't kill for it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: The great Stephen Wright once said, Jeff curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. Love Stephen, right, all right, but I also love Jeff Is. We still have people talking about a bases loaded walk off automatic double that Raphael Dever's hit. He got credit for a single and one RBI instead of a double and two RBIs, and we still have people chiming in on that. I'd love that. We've hit kind of a nerve here. But Frank from the Elias just texted me out of nowhere the other day to say he was so intrigued by that, and he does this for a living, that he went back in baseball history and was looking like in the early nineteen hundreds, and there weren't many homers in the early nineteen hundreds. But if you hit a walk off homer, they would only give you the number of RBIs until the game was over. In other words, if you hit a walk off Grand Slam with a one run lead, you would only get I mean, in a tie game, you would only get one RBI because you won the game with one run and the other three runs.
Speaker 2: Didn't even count. Are you surprised to hear that?
Speaker 1: I just love that he got excited about it, because if he got excited about it, then we know there's something there for sure, right right?
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: And also, you know, what should we call the three pitches three outs in one inning? I said we should call it a saying named after Johnny Saying, the great pitching coach and the very good pitcher Boston Braves and others in the forties and fifties. So somebody run and Johnny saying, of course war number thirty three, which has something to do with the choice there. But somebody wrote in and said, if anyone ever retires three batters on three pitches two innings in a row, so six pitches, six outs. It should be called an alfonseka oh ah, six and six because Antonio Alfonseca, who has come up at least a dozen times on this podcast this year, has six fingers on each hand and six toes on each feet foot. So if we ever get anyone, and we never will, who gets a three out, three pitch, three outs in the first, three pitches, three outs in the second, we will call that an Alfonseca.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 1: I think that's an absolute must. Hands up there, it is six and six. You did it? What is up with this podcast? Who is going to be the obscure player we mentioned five hundred times next season? Only time will tell because it just happens. I mean, watch Johnson makes sense, Alphanseeka. I mean, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Dad? Right? I totally agree. It's so good? All right, Jeff? Here we go.
Speaker 4: For parents looking for a new path to help your child succeed this year. There's still time to enroll in K twelve powered online schools. K twelve powered schools offer tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Tod Father take it away.
Speaker 5: Stride is a wonderful option for anybody that's always on the run. I mean, look at myself, from playing baseball to helping out a lot of people. Stride is fantastic for your child to be homeschool. They will love it no matter what.
Speaker 4: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real time support, all in an online setting that works for your family at home or anywhere that there's internet. If you're on the go, it could be for you. It's not too late to enroll this false See how K twelve pirate schools can help your child thrive this year and beyond. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash f o u l K twelve dot com slash foul. K twelve serving three million students and counting.
Speaker 1: The take Go ahead, All right, dad, let's roll right into the takeaways. What do you got?
Speaker 2: All right? So in love?
Speaker 3: What the Yankees did? The Yankees are in trouble, especially offensively. Look, they're gonna pitch their way into the playoffs and they're gonna be a dangerous team in October. But we're still not sure about Aaron Judge when he's coming back and what he's gonna look like when he comes back. So the Yankees, needing like a burst of energy, called up George Lombard Junior, who is a twenty one year old shortstop and their best prospect and one of the best prospects in baseball. And in his first game playing shortstop for the Yankees, hitting seventh in his second career at bad he had a home run. And I am a big believer Jeff that this is what you do when you need a spark. Sometimes the best thing to do is to not make a trade. It's to bring up your best kid in the minor leagues and see if he can provide the energy and at least for one game. George Lombard Junior, did that? You agree that that? You know, everyone looks around and goes, hey, the kid is here, Let's see what we do with this. And there's no real pressure on the kid, because the pressure is winning games every night, as opposed to I've seen it, Jeff, you bring up a kid when the team is hopelessly out of the Pennant race, and then it's all about him. They dissect every single at bat and if he goes oh for six, people are saying, what's wrong with the kid? Well, they're not going to say that if he gets off to a bad start, because they have bigger things to talk about, that is the winning and losing of games. Are they gonna win the division title? Where you know that type of thing. Do you agree that's the right way to go?
Speaker 1: I would agree, but I would also disagree in the sense of probably in twenty eight other cities that would be the case, but not in New York. If you're playing shortstop for the Yankees, they're dissecting your box score and that pressure of the pinstripes. Hey, that could be a good book, Pressure of the Pinstripes, like a history of Yankee players or something. Trademark I'm trademarking it right here, that pressure of the Pinstripes. That's tough. And Dad, you always mentioned the shortstop obviously, like shortstop historically is just like a leader on the team. Then when you bring in Derek Jeters years as captain, I mean, it's just insane in New York and then he's the defensive captain I mean, if you're the best defensive shortstop, you might be the best defensive player in the league because it's such a hard position to play. Nonetheless, Dad, there's a lot of pressure if you're a shortstop on a team, especially in New York. But you're he comes up, he makes a presence, he makes it known, and maybe a little less pressure on a young guy without feeling how important this job is. It's gonna pay off.
Speaker 5: For him, right.
Speaker 3: And the same night that George Lombard Junior hit a home run in his second major league at bat, his brother Jacob, who got drafted number one by the Marlins in this last draft, he made his pro ball debut and in his second at bat as a professional.
Speaker 2: Player he hit a home run.
Speaker 3: So I would call that a pretty good night for the Lombard family.
Speaker 2: Agreed, Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: That is a great night for Lombard's across and the board.
Speaker 3: And I love that the Tigers, who have George Lombard Senior as one of their coaches, allowed him to leave the team so he could watch his boys play in their the biggest games.
Speaker 2: Of their lives. You're an agreement that you know, we have sixteen eighteen coaches on some team. We love George Lombard.
Speaker 3: He's gonna managed someday, but I think it's it's better for everyone if we just let him go for a day and let him go watch his kids.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been pretty sad hearing stories of you know, dads in baseball missing important days. Help me here. We had him on last year at the beginning of the season. Former Angels manager. It's escaping me.
Speaker 2: Mike Sosha, thank you, No, not Mike Soshia. Phil Nevian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have Phil nevan On who missed so much of his son's career because he was in baseball. Now, granted, listen, that's your job. I'm not saying, you know, oh, take a week off in the middle of the season. That's not happening. But it does bum me out when Phil nevin told us he was missing big dates in his in his son's career.
Speaker 2: You know, I think, I think, I think it's really important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dad, you would never ever miss my opening night of musical, that's for sure, Jeff Nicely.
Speaker 3: Nicely Nicely Johnson, not a chance I would miss that.
Speaker 2: So now you're on the boat, you know it.
Speaker 1: I love that story with that musical, because I have one big song my sophomore year called Guys and Dolls in the musical Guys and Dolls, And I told my parents I have a big song, and that song comes on intermission. They're both saying that was a great song, and I said, just wait till the end. That's the song I'm talking about, not the dinky little duet. The real song is coming. Sit down, your rocking the boat. Anyway, Enough about me, enough about nicely nicely Johnson.
Speaker 3: Text about your team, Jeff, Luisa Rise goes to the Phillies first game, he gets two it's and knocks in two runs. Will have more on him in the quirk Chins. But Jeff, you know, Luisa Rise is a different hitter than everyone else today. We've talked about this multiple times. In this strikeout era, he puts the ball in play and acknowledges I hate to strike out. I saw what happened to the Padres when they acquired Louisa Rise. I was around that team quite a bit for a while there, and to a man, they said, we're a better offensive team because we're watching this guy on our team, and a bunch of guys looked around and said, you know, we we should hit more like him. We should put the ball in play more often, we should work a better count, we should swing at the first pitch if we see something that we can hit. So I'm telling you that he's going to make a difference in the Phillies offense, not just from his production, but because he's going to show everyone else like this is a different.
Speaker 2: Way to hit.
Speaker 3: Now, that doesn't mean that Kyle Schwarber is going to stop striking out and because they haven't swinging, miss team as does every other team in the major leagues. But I'm telling you, Luis a Rise will make a difference.
Speaker 2: Agreed. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just always thought him and Aaron Judge would make a great teammate team pairing. A Rise for.
Speaker 2: The Judge, right, very good, Judge.
Speaker 3: I thought you all. Rise is his nickname, and it would have been a Rise Judge.
Speaker 2: A Rise, very good by Jeff.
Speaker 1: I mean on the Phillies. Trust me, I don't need them on the New York Yankees, no, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what to do with the Red Sox, Jeff. We bring them up every week, and I don't think I can add to this story. But it has to be mentioned they've won twenty nine out of thirty four games coming into Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's one of the.
Speaker 3: Greatest in season turnarounds that I've ever seen. Thirty two and forty six, arguably the most disappointing team in baseball this year, and since then they've gone twenty nine and five. I just don't see it. And I look at their lineup and I still don't see it. And they're doing all this without Garrett Crochet, even though they're pitching exceptionally well. Are you amazed as I am at this turnaround?
Speaker 1: I mean, Fenway Park is alive. I have friends who live in Boston. I remember texting them back in May and they're like, this place is dead. Everybody hates the socks, nobody wants to go to games. It's miserable. And now I'm texting them and they're saying, it is so alive. It's unbelievable how alive is. Because one hundred and sixty two is a long season. It can turn around, and it has. But it's August the fifth. We got two months left. But they are the hottest team in baseball Dad, and it isn't close with how good they've been playing lately.
Speaker 2: Oh incredible, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: And then they're the Tigers, Jeff who traded Trek schoobl and Casey Miyes, you know, throwing up a white flag that we're not going to the playoffs this year, and yet they've scored eight plus runs six games in a row. And you look at their lineup and you know, you see some pretty good hitters, but eight plus runs six games in a row. The last time and the only other two times in history that the Tigers have done that is nineteen twenty two and nineteen twenty seven. So it's pretty impressive what they're doing. And the timing is just amazing to be they trade away the best pitcher in the league and a really good one in Casey Meives, and they're starting to surge again, but they're doing it with their offense, not with their pitching.
Speaker 2: Amazing, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the bats are hot right now and it's good to see. But it's also I mean that interview Dad with Trek Scooble after his final outing with the Tigers, knowing that pretty much was going to get traded. I mean, you know how you always say, how can you not be romantic about baseball. That's just like such a common saying. How can baseball not break your heart? I mean, just listening to that, I'm not even a Tigers fan, and I was almost in tears because these players mean it. They really don't tell me.
Speaker 3: The players don't care, Jeff, just don't because you listen to somebody like that, and it matters when you spent your whole career with one team. And Detroit is a great baseball town. I can certainly see it. I've seen stuff like that more. I've seen guys cry more than many times over the years when they have to go somewhere else. And he won't be crying at the end of this year because he's He's going to be great, and so are the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: This is that time of year, aj. It is Baseball's time to shine, and it is see Geek's time to shine with MLB tickets and finding the best pricing seating and games that are even sold out available on Sea Geek.
Speaker 6: Absolutely if you want to go to the biggest matchups coming up, we have Yankees clubs coming up.
Speaker 2: Where's Yankees Red Sox?
Speaker 6: That means stuff Again, there's some big moments that are coming up here in the as the penachases really heat up, go to can find those green tickets with the best deals and get yourself out to an MLB game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they're straightforward with you. They will actually put a red dot next to a ticket that they don't feel is your best. Look. Green dot means very good code for you. It's Territory ten ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets when you use the promo code Territory one zero. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it late.
Speaker 3: And last thing, Jeff, and again this is an old story by now, but Pete crow Armstrong, who's having a great year and is a terrific player, somebody asked him a question about what's the what's the rumor or something that most intrigues you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw this, Jeff, but I saw this, Dad.
Speaker 1: I'm obsessed.
Speaker 2: Well, well said, what tell us what he said? That Babe Ruth didn't exist? Same Ruth didn't exist? What does that mean? Jeff?
Speaker 1: Here thinks that it's it's like it's like a tall tale, Like it's just not true. It's like like it's an urban legend. Yeah, like it's Paul Bunyan or Jonah in the Whale or whatever like that. It's just not real Bigfoot or what Bigfoot? And we didn't lock Nest, didn't Babe Ruth.
Speaker 3: We didn't walk on the moon, and Babe Ruth didn't hit seven hundred and fourteen home runs. All right, Instead of being offended by it, I got a mild chuckle out of it. Let's just be clear again, Jeff, Babe Ruth stole one hundred and twenty three bases. He had one hundred and thirty six triples. He has as many career shutouts as Pedro Martinez. He is, by any statistical measure, the greatest player of all time. I mean, he was the best left handed pitcher in the American League and then decided I'm going to become a hitter, and he became the greatest hitter statistically we've ever seen.
Speaker 1: I can I finish the line for you? How I know you're gonna end this since we've been doing this and I grew up with you as my dad, so don't tell me that he's some big fat guy who ate hot dogs and drank beer.
Speaker 2: That's what you would say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, And why is it, Jeff, that we turned the greatest player of all time into a comic book character, a cartoon character, every time we make a movie about him.
Speaker 2: He was a great athlete. He would have he would be a great player today.
Speaker 3: And even though Kurgelli told me Matt Stair is way better than Babe Ruth, I love Matt Stairs. I'm just not buying it. And I'm going to finish with this, Jeff. And I've used this before, but Bert Hawkins, great old sports writer who was the pr director of the Rangers in nineteen eighty two, when I became the beat writer there for the Dallas Morning News, I said, Hawk, who's the.
Speaker 2: Greatest player you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: He looks at me and he goes, buddy boy, I'll take Babe Ruth and you can have the next three amazing.
Speaker 1: That's what he said, you know, Dad, speaking of Babe Ruth and movies that he's in. I log into our Disney Plus account when we travel, right, we're at an Airbnb, we're at a hotel, whatever it might be. Sometimes. Okay, every time I forget to sign out on that TV before I leave. So every once in a while, I see somebody watching something on my Disney Plus account from a house I probably stayed at, our a hotel. Well, somebody is watching The Sandlot. And normally when I see that something that none of my family's watching, I log out of all devices and relog in. However, they're watching The Sandlot, so I'm gonna let them finish the movie, and then I'm gonna log out of my devices. Like they've got great taste. I'm gonna let them watch The Sandlot. See, Babe, Ruth the Sultan swat gotta do it?
Speaker 3: See, Jeff, I don't have any problem with things like that, because I wouldn't know how to log in and log out of these things and the flashlight and a map, So never mind, I'm kind of glad.
Speaker 2: So all right, let's go to where do we go from?
Speaker 1: Dad? What do you have?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: So, Jeff, I did Sports Center the other day and Michael Leaves said, well, after doing this highlight of this game, even Tim Kirchen has never been to a game like this. And that was the night that the Yankees and the Cardinals played. The Cardinals won. I think it was thirteen to seven, but each team hit five home runs in the game or more. And yeah, each team hit five homers. There were ten total homers hit. And it's the first time in the history of Yankee Stadium, new or old that both teams hit five homers in the same game. And three of those came from Alec Burlson of the Cardinals. Tenth time this year that a player has hit three home runs in one game. But I had to tell Michael Eaves, my friend. I said, Okay, I wasn't at that game, but I was at the game in nineteen eighty seven when the Blue Jays by themselves hit ten homers in one game against the Oreoles. I covered that game for the Baltimore Sun. So as much as he said, even Tim has never been to this game, I have a game that's even more remarkable because in that whatever eighteen to three win, the Blue Jays hit ten homers, a major league record to this day.
Speaker 2: Ten.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of bombs. Man. I would love to be in the crowd for that game. That's fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And as I told you, Jeff Hank Peters, the general manager of the Orioles was so disgusted after that game that he had the video guy q up the bats for all ten homers and he calls me into his eye. He calls me into his office and says, I want to show you something. And he showed me the clip. I mean this thing that the guy made for him of the ten homers and he said, I call it the barrage and it was the entire bats for all ten homers. And he said, and we're going to show this to our minor leaguers on the proper way not.
Speaker 2: To pitch, which I thought was very interesting.
Speaker 3: So ten homers in one game. Now, Jeff, we had a lot of fun with. Well, let's go to Luisa Rise. We talked about him earlier. So, Jeff, in this era of a lot of walks, a lot of strikeouts, and a lot of homers, Luise Riise doesn't do any of those. But through Tuesday, Nick Kirt, really good player for the A's, had fifty one games this year in which he had at least least one walk and at least one strikeout. So a little bit less than half of the games he's played he's got a walk and a strikeout.
Speaker 2: Does that strike you as a lot. Fifty one, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 3: So Luisa Rise, who just gets a lot of hits, doesn't hit a lot of homers rarely, if ever, strikes out and doesn't walk very much.
Speaker 2: How many games do you think this.
Speaker 3: Year, Jeff, he's had a walk and a strikeout in the same game. Again, Nick Kurtz has fifty one of those games. How many games does Luisa Rise have a walk and a strikeout?
Speaker 1: It's got to be single digits, so I'm gonna say five.
Speaker 2: All right. Zero.
Speaker 3: Louisia does not have one game this year in which he has walked and struck out in the same game. He only has forty six of those in his entire career, and zero of them this year. Nick Kurtz, fifty one, Luisa Raise zero. Okay, you know you know how much I love names, Jeff. We got a bunch of names to talk about. Antwine Kelly is a left handed pitcher for the Cubs, and Antwine Kelly is a right handed pitcher for the Pirates.
Speaker 2: I mean, what what now?
Speaker 3: Antoine is not the most common name, but they spell their their first names differently, A N T O, I N E and A n T W O N E. But do you find it odd there are two Antoine Kelly's in the major leagues. They're both pitchers, and uh they spell their first name differently.
Speaker 2: Is that odd to you or what?
Speaker 1: Well, we need to do team Kelly instead of team Tim because we've got Carson Kelly, We've got Antoine Kelly and Antoine Kelly. We got plenty of room here, got Ben Kelly, plenty of right. That's my buddy from all right, not a major leaguer.
Speaker 3: Yes, we also had a little fun in the Rangers game the other day. Their picture was cole Win w I N N and they're catchure was Austin wins w Y and n S. So their battery was win and wins wins and of course, of course they lost the game, of course, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it sounds like Michael Scott too. It's like there's different options of negotiations. There's win lose, win win or win win win. I want the win win win situation, full win and Austin wins.
Speaker 2: That's good, right, all right, all right?
Speaker 3: Last one, Xavian Curry faced Xavier Xavier Edwards the other day and in at bat so it was only the second time in major league history that a pitcher whose first name starts with X faced a hitter whose first name starts with X. Xavier Sadanio faced Xander Bogarts in five different played appearances. But now we have our second X versus X first name at bat in the big leagues. Pretty impressive, Jeff, you love.
Speaker 2: That or is it stupid?
Speaker 1: Well? My question is thinking ahead to alpha best. Is there X last names?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, So why don't you do X first names just for that? Since there's no strongly, there's no options. So it's not like we're giving up. We're saying there's zero players and pictures that are going to be So I think thinking way ahead because today is TEA a little bit later in the show, you got to do X first names.
Speaker 2: What do you think, right?
Speaker 3: I think Xander Bogart. I haven't done the research. I think Xander Bogarts is going to be the position player and I don't think Exavier Sadaniel is going to be the picture, but he's going to be in the conversation because there aren't too many X pictures out there. There's a lot of EX pictures, just not a lot of X pictures. So that's uh, those are the questions my favorite things for the week.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, let's go into in this state in baseball history.
Speaker 3: What do you have a little shorter than usual, Jeff. But in nineteen seventy three, Roberto Clemente and Warren Spawn on this date went into the Hall of Fame. And you'll never get this, Jeff, But what is what? What is similar about those two players and not in the way they played or anything else. Well, I'll just give you the clue. They both wore number twenty one. And I'm not sure I've ever been killed harder than when I on the I think I switched on the I once said the greatest number twenty one of all time was Warren Spawn because he had thirteen twenty win seasons, won three hundred and sixty three games, was a war hero and did some amazing things.
Speaker 2: For a couple of teams.
Speaker 3: And I got killed in Pittsburgh so bad. As if I don't know who Roberto Clemtti is and don't love Robta CLEMTI of course I do. But Warren Spawn was pretty good too. So they went in the same year, and they're the two greatest number twenty ones of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Dad. You know it's interesting too. I looked back at that episode when we did From Ozzie to Oral last year, the episode following you doing number twenty one, lost like half of our listeners. Nobody wanted to listen anymore. We just got killed in the ratings.
Speaker 2: No, you're making that up right, baking that up?
Speaker 1: Don't?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Look is trauma from picking Warren spot over Roberto Clamtte.
Speaker 2: God, Yeah, I still have trauma. You're right, okay.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety three, on this day, Tony Gwinn got hit number two thousand.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Tony Gwenn is one of the greatest hitters I've ever seen. And you know, we know we talk about Luisa Rise being something similar to Tony Gwinn today, Let's understand Tony Gwynn hit with more power, drove in more runs, was a great defensive right fielder, and stole fifty six bases in one season. Luise Rise isn't any of these, even though I love Luise Rise, but just remember Jeff Tony gwyn Junior had. I mean, Tony Gwynn had two hundred and ninety seven three hit games and one three strikeout game in his career. Two ninety seven to one. That's a pretty good ratio.
Speaker 2: Right, incredible.
Speaker 1: Well, we teased it earlier, Dad, Let's hear the alpha best.
Speaker 3: All right, I it's the letter T. And there were some really good candidates, including Hall of Famer Frank Thomas, who's one of the best hitters I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: But I'm going with Mike Trout. Mike Trout won.
Speaker 3: Three MVPs, and he finished in the top two of the MVP voting in each of his first five full seasons.
Speaker 2: No one else has done that in their first three.
Speaker 3: He did it in his first five again, Rookie of the Year, nine times Silver Slugger, twelve time All Stars, a War of ninety point nine, which is really high given that he's got a lot of career left in him. Four under twenty two homers, career ops of nine sixty nine.
Speaker 2: Again, Mike Trout.
Speaker 3: Is the player he used to be, and he got hurt a lot, but he's playing now.
Speaker 2: Let's just not.
Speaker 3: Forget how great those first eight or nine years were, because people were saying he's the greatest player we've ever seen. So if anyone ever asked you again, is he a Hall of Famer? The answer is is this a trick question? Of course, he's a Hall of Famer and he's the greatest T position player ever. Any any argument with that.
Speaker 1: You can't make an argument on that. I mean, I feel bad that players or kids, I should say, fans who are growing up right now, young kids who didn't get to see Trout, you know, at the beginning of his career. They obviously know the stories. But he was just so dazzling and so incredible. And he's he's playing great again, but he struggled to stay healthy for quite a few years there. And I think your T pick is an absolute perfect one. Future Hall of Famer Mike Trout agreed, and.
Speaker 3: Here's how good he was in his prime and spring training one year Raoul Labanya, is his teammate with the Angels, told me that that Trout, who loves to compete at any game there is, and it doesn't matter what his little games on at the ballpark everything else. And he looks at Raoul Labanya's during batting practice in Tempe and says, I'm going to hit a home run into that trash can beyond the left center field fence. And Jeff, it wasn't a dumpster, Okay, It was one of those big green trash cans, round trash cans that you would see at any Major league park, and it was beyond the left center field fence, and like ten pitches later, Mike Trout hit a home run into that trash can. And then he did it again that spring when he said that he would insane Mike Trout in his prime, the things he could do were unbelievable, all right, Jeff, the pitcher, it was a lot harder because I was surprised to see unless I miss somebody that and I don't think I did that. There's no pitcher in the Hall of Fame whose last name starts with T. So I went through a bunch of options and I came up with Louis Tian, who I think has Hall of Fame credentials. Two hundred and twenty nine wins, three point three zero ERA, two time ERA title in nineteen sixty eight, Jeff, again, it was the year of the pitcher, but Louis Tian had a one point six to oh er, but he was dwarfed that year by Danny mc clain, who won thirty one games and Bob Gibson, who had a one point one to two eer.
Speaker 2: But that year Louis Tian threw.
Speaker 3: Two hundred and fifty eight and two thirds innings Jeff, and gave up one hundred and fifty two hits. I mean, that's like a historically low hits for nine innings rate from him. And he pitched in a lot of big games. Let's never forget how dazzling he was, especially for the nineteen seventy five Red Sox in the in the World Series. And he would turn his back on the hitter, the gyrations on the mound, the way he could hide the ball, the deception.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I've I'm not sure I've ever watched.
Speaker 3: A pitcher who was more entertaining to watch than him, because every delivery was a little bit different. He would he would quicken it, he would slow it down, he would turn his back on the hitter. It's too bad, Jeff, that you never saw Louis tion pitching his prime, because it was really breathtaking to watch.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, incredible and great picks, Dad, great picks for Alphabet team, and I feel like the Alphabet is going to lead us right into Team Tim.
Speaker 3: Right, Yes, you are right, Jeff, because I don't think we've ever done this, but given that Mike Trout is our greatest team, we came up with the All Fish Team. So we'll start in the outfield. Since we're starting with Mike Trout. Mike Trout, Tim Salmon, also a star with the Angels in Prime, and Kevin Bast are our outfielders. We have Mike Karp at first base, Marlon Anderson at second base, Angel Aragon he played the early nineteen hundreds. I'd never heard of him. Sorry, he's our third baseman. There is such a thing called an angelfish, and Bobby Sturgeon is our shortstop. Oscar Hernandez is our catcher. Art Herring is one of our pitchers, and our star pitcher is Catfish Hunter. So that is the All Fish Team. Inspired by Mike Trout. Thoughts on that, Jeff, all.
Speaker 1: I can do is give it up, Dad. I can give it up to you because you always find a way to bring a team tim to the table, and I'm always impressed with it. I have to say you do a fine job, and I'm I'm just proud to be your son. That you spent all this time working on these it means a lot to Jeff.
Speaker 2: You can make a good case.
Speaker 3: The two of the five greatest Angels, maybe the two four greatest Angels are Mike Trout and Tim Salmon, and both have the names of a fish.
Speaker 1: Look, it's too perfect, Dad, it's absolutely perfect. Okay, so we did team Tim, all right, But now I'm a little bit worried because usually we communicate do you have three cards with you?
Speaker 3: I do not. I'm on the road, Jeff, and I did not lift three cards out of the bathroom, nor did I meet three Atlanta Brave Stars in the bathroom this week. I did last week in Cooper's Down. So I'm going to count on you.
Speaker 1: How about we do this. We'll go to a quick commercial break, and then after we'll do three cards in Jeff's closet. I'll surprise Dad with three cards whatever we can get out, and then he gets to riff on each one. Okay, that's coming up next on it's just a great game or what?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Dad? I grabbed three cards from my closet. Are you ready for three cards? Here we go. First, one out wearing an Orioles jersey. It's Albert Bell.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 3: Albert Bell is one of the most fearsome sluggers I've ever seen the numbers he has. Some of them at least are Hall of Fame worthy, but he's never come close. Of course, he had a fifty homer fifty double season and wow, I gotta be careful with this. But I went to do a story for Sports Illustrated on young sluggers in the Major League. This was in the mid nineties and Albert Bell was the first guy on the list because he was young and he was a devastating slugger. So I called PR because Albert was a difficult guy to deal with, and I said, I'm coming in to talk to Albert Bell. Can you check to see if I'm not wasting my time coming there? And they talked to Albert and he said, yeah, I'll talk to him. So I got there and I said, Hi, you know, i'm Tim Kirkchen with the ESPN.
Speaker 2: I mean, hi, I'm Tim.
Speaker 3: Kirkchin with Sports Illustrated, and I'm here to talk to you about the story. And he just looks at me and goes, well, I'm not talking to you. And I said why. I said, you said you would through the PR department. He goes, well, I don't care what I said to them, I'm not talking to you because you know, there is an SI Jinx and anybody who ever appears in sports.
Speaker 2: That's what he said.
Speaker 3: So I kind of chuckled it off and said, Albert, I don't think there really is an SI Jinks and he goes, well, I'm not taking any chances and I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 2: So that was it.
Speaker 3: And when Albert played for the Orioles, and again he was not the same slugger with them, but he was a dangerous hitter back then too. I'll never forget after games, you know, everyone would have a pre postgame meal. Albert would sit at his locker like by himself and had three like yogurts lined up, like three great yogurts. I'm not sure what the flavor was, but he would eat those three yogurts. And he also loved to play chess, which really didn't fit the rest of his personality, but apparently he was a really good chess player as well as a great power hitter in the major leagues.
Speaker 2: Even though he didn't want to talk to me, he.
Speaker 1: Didn't want to talk to Tim Kirkshon of Sports Illustrated. He will talk to Tim Kirkshen of ESPN or I don't think it's a great game or what.
Speaker 2: But no, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: All right, Next card Troy Gloss.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Troy Gloss was a really good player for the Angels, a third baseman. But he's another one of those guys who played shortstop growing up because cal Ripken broke the mold and showed a lot of big guys, and Troy Gloss was a big man that you could play shortstop. Now he got so big, but he was really They moved into third base and he was a really good defensive third baseman. Also had a great sense of humor and was the third baseman on the world champion Angels in two thousand and two. But towards the end of his career, he was playing with the Braves. It might have been his last year and I got to talk then. This is years ago, Jeff, but this is when velocity really started to tick upwards, and he told me, he said, I have to cheat on every fastball in every game now because the velocity we're seeing is so enormous that I have to. When I say cheat, Jeff, he's got to get out there early to try to catch up to you know, mid nineties, low nineties, well, mid nineties fastballs, and now everyone throws in.
Speaker 2: The mid nineties.
Speaker 3: Just another reminder how much harder everybody throws today and how much better the stuff is that we've ever seen that. Not everyone knows what to do with that stuff. But Troy Gloss at least ten years ago, what was his last year, Jeff, look it up.
Speaker 1: Well, all I have here is this is his two thousand and one card, so I have that he led the majors tied for forty seven homers in two thousand. I don't have his baseball reference up, and I can pull it together.
Speaker 2: What do you need from never mind?
Speaker 3: I was just trying to recall the conversation I had with him about how hard everyone throws today and the adjustments that he had to make just to catch up with the best fastballs in the big leagues, because he said, we see him like every night now.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable, right, he.
Speaker 1: Dad, I want to read what was on the back of the card I pulled, Okay, Yeah, he said Troy Gloss could do without the adelation, preferring to let his explosive bat make the statements.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: That's the way my mother raised me. He says, it's rude to just talk about what you're doing.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 1: How great is that his mom makes an appearance on the back of his card. That's cool.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: And let's see how great your memory is, Jeff. What when Steve Rushall was on three years in a row? We made him tell the story. What was on the back of lou Brock's baseball.
Speaker 1: He was serving ice cream? Right, he was at the ice parlor.
Speaker 2: No, no, he was delivering flowers. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: And then and then there's a picture on the back of the baseball card of lou Brock in his cardinal uniform on your doorstep holding flowers, and young Steve Russia thought, this is the greatest thing ever. The star left fielder for the Cardinals will, in full uniform come over your house and deliver flowers.
Speaker 2: How great?
Speaker 1: It's amazing, incredible, all right, dad, last card, I picked a manager card Jack McKeon.
Speaker 2: Oh love Jack mckinn.
Speaker 3: So in two thousand and three, the Marlins were struggling badly, so they made a managerial change and moved Jack mckinn into the manager's roll. And they got red hot and ended up beating the Yankees in the World Series in two thousand and three. And Jack mckein was an older man at the time, and he once told me, as an older manager, that he wanted to wear a coat and tie a full suit to the mound because that's what the manager who managed more games than anyone in history, Connie Mack, used to do.
Speaker 2: Connie Mack used.
Speaker 3: To go to the mound because he wasn't wearing a uniform, he was wearing a suit. And Jack McKeon thought it would be a great publicity stunt, for lack of a better term, for him to go out to the mound wearing a suit as opposed to a baseball uniform. Would you have enjoyed that?
Speaker 1: I love that so much. Classic. I mean, that's some Jackie Robinson era stuff there. I love it. And on the back of his card Dad it said he was commonly given the nickname Trader Jack because of his willingness to make multiplayer deals.
Speaker 2: I love Jack, Trader Jack.
Speaker 3: I should have known Trader Joe's is a great grocery store.
Speaker 2: Trader Jack.
Speaker 3: And yes, when he was a Padres general manager, you went to the winter meetings, you better watch out trader. Jack is going to do something crazy, and he often did because he loved the excitement of that.
Speaker 2: So that's Jack mckeonn. He was one of our favorites.
Speaker 1: That's so so great. Well, Dad, I know this has been a nuts week for you with the trade deadline and everything going on, and you're bouncing around. But we're excited because this weekend you will be at my house for my daughter's third birthday. It's also my birthday, but we don't really worry about that. My daughter is starting three. We have a birthday party. You're gonna be here. We're gonna record the podcast in the basement. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 3: So McKinley Hope will turn three on Monday, but we'll celebrate it on Saturday. Jeffrey will turn thirty three on Sunday and we'll celebrate it on Sunday and tell everyone, jeff what your one wish is on your birthday one? It's not your wish, one of the wishes that you asked for on your birthday.
Speaker 1: I said that I wanted to watch the Phillies game at one o'clock on my birthday, relatively uninterrupted. My children are more than welcome to be in the house on the couch in front of me, But I don't want to get pulled in nine different directions to get bottles and change diapers. I want to just sit and enjoy a baseball game, and if the weather permits out on my deck, I would enjoy that, but it looking like there could be rained this weekend. Nonetheless, I want to watch baseball live, uninterrupted, possibly with a drink in my hand. Sounds good to be.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, I'll get me a white claw now that I know what a white claw is. And Jeff, this warms my heart that my son, who liked baseball a lot growing up, likes it even more now. Would that's his wish on his birthday is to watch the Phillies for all nine innings while drinking a beer.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: I'll be upstairs watching guys and dolls while you're downstairs watching baseball. But nicely, nicely, Johnson, I'll sit down. You're rocking the boat. You did such a great job on that, Jeff, and I never ever got nervous when your sister would play soccer or basketball. I always got nervous, especially basketball, but I always knew you were going to kill it and you killed it in nicely, nicely Johnson.
Speaker 2: Guys and Dolls, What was the first song in that show that TJ Quinn knew the name of?
Speaker 1: It was a fugue for tin Horns. I believe Rightow, I can't believe I remembered that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't believe TJ. Quinn remember that. Well, he's an investigative reporter. I guess he should have known that. But he knew all the songs from Guys and Dolls and I only knew one, and that was sit Down, You're rocking the Boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean the opening song is about three degenerate horse gamblers for high school.
Speaker 3: Oh well, Jeff, I can't wait for your thirty third birthday. I can't wait for Kinley's third birthday. And just sign us off, and because I got a lot of Sports Center in baseball, tonight's.
Speaker 2: To do tonight.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening, Thanks for watching it as always, thanks for being a part of our family.