Speaker 1: Everyone stopped the count. You know exactly what I'm talking about. Stop the count.
Speaker 2: Stop.
Speaker 1: It cost all Cavalier and thunder fans. Cavaliers, I don't mean Cavalier thunder fans, but Cleveland Cavaliers and Oklahoma City thunder fans everywhere. Those teams are made the only undefeated squads at the time of this recording. Meanwhile, the Celtics are just one game off their base and still seem even hungrier than they were last season. And we'll get into that with one of our favorite comedians, Josh Gondleman, on today's episode. I'm Miles Greg and I'm Jack O'Brien and this is Miles of stick boost.
Speaker 3: Dog. Sorry, got it, looka do hit okay and be driving spinning.
Speaker 4: Number that's been secure the Celtics or NBA champions over the double team.
Speaker 1: Yes, tell no short time. Yes, Josh Gondleman, Oh Man, my my favorite Boston fan. I gotta say, you're you're, You're there.
Speaker 2: Huge for me.
Speaker 1: We had to overlap, obviously with the Yankees Dodgers World Series. Our our ben diagram overlapped for that moment, and it was a fantastic.
Speaker 3: One glorious moment. Yeah, I was.
Speaker 5: I watched every game of the World Series to rout against the Yankees and when they lost, and I felt, I would say, roughly as much joy as I felt when the Red Sox won the World Series against the Dodgers in twenty eighteen. I was like, oh, I should be in therapy. This, this is not spent well for my state of mind.
Speaker 3: That spite feels as good to me as joy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well that's also being a Laker fan baby.
Speaker 3: And so true for me. With the Celtics myself. Oh god, I understand that felt good, like it?
Speaker 1: But yeah, just looking around the league, three teams currently have both top five offenses and defenses. Caps, Warriors, Celtics honestly, really must be nice. I'm taking them out, wool, how'd you do that? The Celtics, though, Josh, you're here, we have to talk about the Celtics because they're so good. Again. It's freaking me out, and I don't like it.
Speaker 3: I like it. Yeah, now, this is interesting, Miles. I told you that he would bring something different, because so we don't. We don't like it. But you you're happy with how they're playing. Interesting?
Speaker 2: Happy. I'm happy with how they're playing.
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 2: That's all been a good time watching them.
Speaker 5: I loved watching them just absolutely uh eradicate the knicks from the building and Game one, Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: That was dark. That was that was I was excited for that game and I was like, whoa, oh no, let's check back a little bit, let's figure out Let's let them figure out cat, and then let's come back, let's revisit.
Speaker 5: I like, I'm I hope they do because I want it's fun. More teams are good and the games are competitive, but one night one it's fun to be like, oh you thought this is this is your squad that you brought to right, Okay, see see you in game eighty.
Speaker 1: Three, right right? Oh man? Also, Josh, I love you go. I like it when like other teams are like good enough to like compete with.
Speaker 2: It's like the fun.
Speaker 5: Everybody just complained that they didn't they didn't beat anyone in their path to the title in the playoffs last year.
Speaker 3: And that it was so satisfying that we all decided to not make our teams very good this year, so you continue not to have anybody.
Speaker 1: Look at everyone's a mess.
Speaker 3: Everybody's just gonna play dead. Oh you're so impressive. I barely even tried. Yeah, I'm starting to resent Shams because now he's like the source of all breaking news and all breaking news. So far this NBA season has been like good for the Celtics and bad for my teams and everything else. Yeah yeah, uh so ye bring back Woj is what I say. It's it's this Shams guy. Bring back all right? Yeah, third, best point differential, third and defensive efficiency blah blah blah. Tatum looks hungry. He looks better this year. The whole team looks hungry, which is not what you expect from a team coming out after championship. I will say there there was a lot made about Tatum's shot having a hitch in it, both in the playoffs when they like didn't play anybody, literally anybody, just like, uh, you know, it was like scrimmage games.
Speaker 2: That the MAVs didn't really present a challenge.
Speaker 5: In the finals, the West could have said the team that would have people are like, that's the bad finals, and I was like, well, I'm sorry to hijack right away. No people were, but people going America had the choice. They could have chosen to get behind the Boston Celtics, a generally likable team with a lot of wonderful, complimentary players and stars who aren't people aren't overexposed to necessarily. Yet I get that Jason Tatum, not the most charismatic guy, didn't play the best series, but instead, people America chose to rally behind Luka Doncic, who's I think still playing him himself into shape from his rookie season. Wow, and wow Kyrie Irving who was suspended one season before the choice was there. You all, America all could have enjoyed that NBA Finals outside of the greater Dallas area, but they chose not to. And I don't think that's Boston's fault. I think that's America's fault.
Speaker 3: So we say stuff like that, just like cheerfully disassembling my entire body and spirit as an NBA fan, and in such like a friendly way you give, like real Hans landa from inglorious bastards energy, like just real christof vaults, like America taking your hat off. I just don't know why. Look Tatum looks good, However, take a little deeper look into the numbers. Thirty five point five from three below his average free throws below his usual I'm just saying, and this is all that I like, this is my copium. I'm just saying, maybe his shot isn't totally fixed. Uh. And when a shot has a hitch, like there has some dynamics, a myth, it tends to show up at the worst times, Like it's just like this little, you know, piece of sand. You know, it's like this little irritant that's in there that can come back at the worst of times. I'm just saying, I have been a fan of a Ben Simmons basketball team before, and I just want to I want you to know you can always come to me for sympathy if this thing goes awry on you, because you know, a shot with a little hitch that's like, I don't know, there's like a mental component to it. Also, you know, maybe he caught something from the Nick's new guy, Miles Bridges. I don't know, Mical Bridges, Michal Bridges, mcal Bridges. Yes, yeah, yeah, very important distinction.
Speaker 5: If you're if you're looking at Jason Tatum's little hitch in his jump shot possibly emerging, and you're seeing Ben simmons jump shot, you should have your driver's license taken away.
Speaker 3: I should should be here's a third person who's told me that this afternoon, But that has more to do with hell, I'm dealing with waiting for the election results. Yeah, all right, I tried, you know, I'm just also trying to think that, like Peyton Pritchard is playing really well.
Speaker 1: Like I saw some set, thirty two threes made after eight games is the joint highest for a non starter in like in league history. I'm also tired of seeing like almost every game there's some stat where it's like the Celtics almost broke the record for most three pointers either made or attempted or whatever, and you're like, oh god, that was.
Speaker 5: So disrespectful in game one two to tie the record. Oh yeah, and then spend eight minutes just breaking three That's truly like, that's like what you'd see on the local news from a high school team.
Speaker 1: Right right right, We're going for it. We're going for it. If we get hot, it's over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like going underhand. Just yeah, just trying.
Speaker 5: Any academy was playing against the local farm. They made a team of three ghosts.
Speaker 3: Anyways, all right, do you see any hope for the rest of the league is there? Or for yourself? As somebody who has admitted you do want a world where the Celtics can no longer be criticized for playing a bunch of like sleepwalking their way to the finals.
Speaker 2: Essentially, Cleveland's playing great. Obviously, it is playing great, which is fine.
Speaker 5: I like, and I'm glad that they figured it out, Like it's fun when teams kind of have different constructions and play in different ways. And they figured out like two lead guards, two big guys, and it turns out like the coaching change. Kenny Atkinson was like, what if two guys didn't just stand in the same place.
Speaker 6: And like, oh yeah, wait what We're to dig this guy up?
Speaker 5: And then I think, I mean, I think the Knicks are going to be a fun team when they get it all settled. And I think, uh, there's seventy stickers. When Joel Embiid is back, he'll be back and he'll play great. And it's always scary when he's playing great, and it's like it truly is. And I don't mean that. I know this is going to sound condescending, and I mean it only forty nine percent condescending, Like I am hoping for like the Joe l Embiid fully healthy in the playoffs. I would like the Celtics you defeat him. But I think it is like something that NBA fans deserve and I hope human body deserves it. Do not feel that pain.
Speaker 3: That's such a weird. So he would be healthy in the play yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that way he would be playing well, like not just during the regular season, but also like when that's so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good to be heard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Not one face fracture or nothing.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wait, but like, what what's going to happen when when he randomly gets a broken face like he had multiple times when people people are like you like always falls apart. Like two of those times have been freak face breakages. Like it's not a thing that I blame him for.
Speaker 2: So well, it's.
Speaker 5: Two of the five most notable face injuries in this century of NBA history happened to one guy. And it's like, oow, his face is so far above everyone else's face.
Speaker 3: It's a big face though, big face. He does have a massive face face, big face, all right. When this show first started, one of our early episodes, we spent the whole episode talking about the time that Ja Morant jumped up and caught Avery Bradley's layup with two hands and then just like kept ascending towards the rafters like for another foot, like he was on some fizzy lifting drink of some sort.
Speaker 1: Because it wasn't his head gonna touch like the corner of the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he had to like stop his body with the ball.
Speaker 5: Right he pinned the ball against the backboard right with like he'd already caught it, and then kind of smushed it against the backboard of two hands, if I'm remember here.
Speaker 3: It is, so he turns it over his against Yeah, one of the coolest things I've ever seen a human body do in any sport. Incredible, incredible. Uh So he just did. I think it might be my favorite thing I've seen. It's a person doing a basketball court since that and it was jaw again, and it was just he like kind of invented a new layup that I didn't know you could do, where he goes at a defender like he's going to tomahawk on them, which he has done, uh, to spectacular effect multiple times, and then decides to switch direction mid air somehow. Yeah, I guess using the person's body as to like spin off of and uh even does a complete three sixty and to do the lamp it's he did it twice in a single game. Yeah, and it's just unbelievable. It really is, like, I don't know how he did that, Moran. That's the step.
Speaker 7: Sing finish that was saucy.
Speaker 8: To wash this one up the spin cycle hang finish on the other side with the left that is pretty deep and look at his eyes immediately back to the rim where he's at the amount of hangtime and ground he covers or I should say airspace he covers. And this isn't easy against Claxon, who's shying to be vertical.
Speaker 3: On the play.
Speaker 4: Mephis controls right now, it's five on four class to the last one to get up.
Speaker 2: Moran cut.
Speaker 8: A human highlight reel John Moran word subscribe, what's going for the crank.
Speaker 3: And then spins hair the smooth finish.
Speaker 8: This is fun real look at that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I don't know like it, it's I love it because it's such a It like speaks to everything about his game. The first is being like he's cocking it back and you're like get ready to have just have your whole life blown up and using that to then be like, now let me shift to my supreme athleticism and like agility and just turn that into a casual layup. I yeah, I don't know. I I have dreams about jumping that high.
Speaker 5: And it's created too where it's like, oh, he's breaking this out in a game. Like you said, no one's ever seen, like, no one's ever heard.
Speaker 3: There's a name for this move, right.
Speaker 2: It's a incredible I love it.
Speaker 5: He and he's just done so many things that you're like, oh, no one else has ever done this before, and probably no one will because they're like their arms and legs can't manage it well.
Speaker 1: Because it's also the thing he's like, well, if I go up and I and I bring it all the way back, they're going to use all their time in the air to just to block the dunk. And then at a certain point, I know I can keep elevating and I will just use as you descend, I will just turn my body now for this somewhat uncontested layup. It's really uh yeah, it feels like to that end, like I know you said, maybe that that Avery Bradley like when he caught that, but it almost reminds you of like when I saw that Vince Carter dunk contest, when I was like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what does feel a little Vince Carter dunk contestan?
Speaker 1: What do you call that? A dunk fake? Not a pump fake, but like it's yeah, I don't even know, yeah, what you even well?
Speaker 3: And I do feel like, to Josh's point about creativity, I do feel like he invented that, Like I don't. I don't think he knew about that shot before he did it the first time, because we'd never seen it before, and then he did it again in the same game. Yeah, he was just like, oh my god, I can do that. That's an interesting idea. I'm going to do that again.
Speaker 5: It felt like the human equivalent of like when you're mashing buttons playing like a fighting video game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like how do I do this combo again? I mean, yeah, oh I did it again. I didn't know. I didn't know the game could achieve this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, right right.
Speaker 3: It also feels like if we're just like thinking about artists inspiring one another. It kind of reminded me of Sakwan Barkley, Uh Hurdling. That guy Hurdle.
Speaker 2: Was, Yeah, there are two of the.
Speaker 3: Coolest athletic feats I've ever seen in sport, done within a week of each other. I don't know that they were necessarily inspired, but they just reminded me of one another a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, I keep watching it on loop because it's just, yeah, you're it's like it's breaking my brain because I will I don't would never have the ability to ever experiment with being up in the air like that and then figure something out. But just it's it is odd to begin to see things that you've truly never seen before.
Speaker 3: And even as somebody who can jump like that, like I can, like, I still find it pretty impressive. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a game recognized game thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I still admire the creativity.
Speaker 1: Like, wait, actually, there might be a tape of me in OH four doing that. Let me let me check back in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know it was legal to do in a game.
Speaker 3: You guys were played by those rules.
Speaker 1: Oh so we can do dunk fakes. Well, I thought you had called the dunk fakesies. Okay, I played by the rules, folks, by the rules.
Speaker 3: I told you guys about the time that I checked the ball up with somebody in a pickup game and he just started running around without dribbling it. And I was like that as a travel man, and he was like, oh, I didn't know y'all were play real rules, okay, And then.
Speaker 2: He was running the baseline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like he was running the base line at the top of the key. That's all the wildest things I've ever seen so far.
Speaker 1: So we're doing basketball rules.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, all right, what did you think this was?
Speaker 1: We played? We played differently here.
Speaker 3: In somebody should try that when they're about to jump up against the Grizzlies, just be.
Speaker 1: Like, no, don'ts And it's like, I'm a rule follower, All okay, I guess I'll just have to give it to you old school.
Speaker 5: But this kind of brings it back because he had been he was injured most of last year and suspended for a portion of it, and like, I think, not that I forgot that he was good, but I had lost track of like the joy of watching him play, like watching a Memphis game like on league pass, just to go like, what's.
Speaker 2: He gonna do tonight?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, that's right. That is what I'm feeling right now. I'm so happy that he's back, and it is in no way is because I'm trying to distract myself from what's happening with the seventy six ers. Should we take a quick break and come back and not talk about the seventy six ers? Yeah, yeah, all right, we'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back, all right.
Speaker 3: The Calves. I have not watched a full game, but I have seen highlights. They look really good. Yeah, number one in effective field goal percentage, fifth overall defensive efficiency, and it feels like that will be their strength throughout the season. But I don't know. I guess number one in effective field goal percentage like that, it's hard to argue with. Yeah, but an amazing coaching Johnny Mitchell.
Speaker 1: And Darius Garland do it together? Can it be done? Is it a thing they should do?
Speaker 3: And yeah, I love this character.
Speaker 9: But lay Yeah, remember was kind of like the that was sort of like the notion, you know what I mean, Like before and now that we're seeing it in full force, you're like, oh, yeah, all.
Speaker 5: Right, but if two guys were good at the same time, it's like it's so ridiculous like that like sports radio brained take of Like I don't know. There's just two guys that both have all the essential skills for playing basketball on the offensive side of the game.
Speaker 2: How would they ever make it work?
Speaker 5: Like, oh, by both being physically healthy and then both playing awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to use a metaphor that I just made up. It's like oil and water. You know, these guys just they can't mix together.
Speaker 1: Also, why are you mixing oil with water for like you're eating it?
Speaker 6: Or gasoline is expensivela, Yeah, canola, some poland spring water down my gasoline like orange juice to stretch it out.
Speaker 3: So just because lava lamps are expensive, very similar.
Speaker 1: Gotta think up here. You got to think up here.
Speaker 2: Just a mason jar with some oil and water. That does. Yeah, that's yeah. You give it to your kid for Christmas exactly.
Speaker 3: Put at a little bit of a lamp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, put a little tea like, yeah you got some, you get some.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But I don't know. So keep an eye on the Cavs. But they are currently the best, the number one team in the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well the other thing, I mean, it felt like we're all pretty high on them though going into this season, you know what I mean. It was just I think before. It's sort of like the question of like can they carry this momentum into the next season, like what is what? What will they continue? And you're like, oh no, no, yep, yeah, that's up to I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna I'm gonna do a thing that nobody does usually does on basketball podcast. I did not see this coming at all. I thought that we're just as likely as to be like a seven seed this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, based on the performance it was it's feasible.
Speaker 2: You can't it's not.
Speaker 1: Your life, this this is impossible. Are they going to keep it up? Is the real thing.
Speaker 5: I think that's right, And especially because this team has been together a couple of seasons and hadn't made it work. But then oh right, a couple of them there was like seasons lost or shaken up because of injuries last year and especially towards the end, and Garland just seemed like he wasn't himself. But I'm with you, Jack, I wasn't like, oh, they're a hue in but like you said, but when now that it's happening, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I see the vision.
Speaker 5: And I get why they didn't like trade away good players because everyone was like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right the front off, like, did you hear what Stephen I Smith just said?
Speaker 2: Actually he wasn't even on Mike and I heard him.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, yeah, where is he? He's in Alaska.
Speaker 2: I think she thought he was whispering.
Speaker 3: Okay, See is the other team that is undefeated as of this recording a lot of as of this recording happening. We also don't know who won the election waiting to hear who won the election.
Speaker 1: Or sexiest man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we also don't know who's gonna win people sexiest man.
Speaker 2: We do know, and I hate to bring it up on a podcast. We know sexiest podcasters.
Speaker 3: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: Don't be upset.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just brought up to say miscarriage of justice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, Jesse or what's his name? The I don't even the brothers.
Speaker 2: Oh, Travis, Travis and Jason.
Speaker 3: Travis and Jason, who together I called Jesse for no no reason, you know, Jesse Jason.
Speaker 5: Sometimes there's two guys that you're like, you could really be one guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah together, I feel that.
Speaker 2: Way, David Lynch and David Byrne.
Speaker 5: If that's one guy that's the most brilliant genius Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah what a team. Yeah, okay, see, so I didn't realize they were doing this well and Hartenstein hadn't played yet. Yeah, so three weeks following a hand fracture, Crusoe's playing about twenty minutes a night, which some people are like, I mean once they turn him all the way up, But that's like always what I expected. I expect him to give them like twenty spectacular minutes an and yeah.
Speaker 1: Even if the scoring is not there on he's He's a man. I love I love Crusoe, so I love seeing him thrive. So this is I'm just trying to find other teams I can just get behind in case the Lakers end up lakering it up?
Speaker 3: What is the so we we did? This is a record. We're minutes and have not mentioned the Lakers about Okay, we're not. We're not going to talk about how you feel about the Lakers because we a great, spectacular start and then things have kind of hit look at of rough air.
Speaker 1: I think it's one of those things where I love talking about the Lakers when we're doing terribly, and I love talking about the Lakers when we're doing mediocre. But comparatively speaking, it feels like we're I've reached an absolutely new level, and it's the in between part where it's like normal, I'm like, I want to talk about the good teams.
Speaker 3: I mean that was that was the time when I started taking the cap seriously. So I was like Lebron coming back home right on. Yeah, it wasn't close, it was not.
Speaker 1: In fact, it was not on.
Speaker 2: It was so not on.
Speaker 3: That Also, maybe I am overrating the Lakers because it was also I did not take the Pistons seriously when they beat my seventy six ers with Embiid and Paul George both out against all odds. But I once, once they beat the Lakers, I was like, man, are these Pistons for real? But maybe there's a shared common denominator here, but I'm missing.
Speaker 2: No, they're good.
Speaker 1: They're good, they would be good.
Speaker 3: They're good. They're really good.
Speaker 2: They're playing through Anthony Davis.
Speaker 5: That they got to play through a guy who seems like he doesn't want that ever in his career.
Speaker 2: He's like, he's playing amazing.
Speaker 5: It's like, yeah, it's I always root for people to like realize their potential, which is like.
Speaker 2: The most Gondlement sentence.
Speaker 1: I could say a trademarket.
Speaker 5: I hate to watch somebody that is has the potential to be great, like not get in their own way or be hurt. And so it's like cool to be like, Oh, Anthony Davis is having the season that everyone's been like, is he having this season for like nine years?
Speaker 2: Anybody?
Speaker 1: Except every time he goes down like acting like his legs are blown off, I'm like, that's the most unnerving thing to watch as a fan, which is why I'm like, like I'll text, like even during that Pistons game, I was texting Jackie Brom like what just happened? I just had this opportunity to turn on the TV and I'm looking at him writhing around in pain. But let's not talk about that. We have other things to.
Speaker 3: Being a fan of Joel Embiid and Anthony Davis really makes you appreciate Lebron James and you know, Jason Tatum and then people like that.
Speaker 2: Who it's the season. Seasons are so long.
Speaker 3: So long, it's unbelievable that they're able to stay as healthy as they are.
Speaker 1: Oh, Josh, I forgot to ask. I mean they're playing the Warriors on what as on Wednesday night? What do you think Tatum's gonna Is he going to show out just for some Olympics.
Speaker 5: I'm a little nervous because I think he's gonna take I think he's going to take a personal record for three pointers. If I could bet over on any number, you name a digit number and.
Speaker 2: Missoula ball is out of control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's like when he's on, You're like, oh, there's no gentler shot.
Speaker 2: It's like someone's hand is underneath the ball placing it in the rim. And when he's not, just like go to the hoop right because he is.
Speaker 5: It's like, really when you watch him and he's mixing it up and he's like, Okay, I'm gonna it'll be like a third threes or two, you know, fortes forty percent and just like bullying people to the basket and wiggling around him. And then twenty percent mid range you're like, oh, he's he's unstoppable. And then when it's like eighty percent threes, you're like, come on, man, you're too told to do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we are getting word. Tatum's most attempt a three pointers eighteen.
Speaker 2: I think he's going.
Speaker 3: Over pacers this year.
Speaker 5: By the way, Oh, yeah, and that was tough because he was having a tough game. Hit a couple at the end that helped take it to overtime, hit that real nice one to the end, and then just kept shooting threes in overtime while he was a little cold and Derek White had been on fire the whole night, and it was just like, Oh, I you watching a game like that really makes you appreciate or makes me appreciate how far he's come as like a playmaker and a guy that trusts his teammates, because I think early in his career he didn't have that level of trust of like getting off the ball quickly when he's getting double teamed. And it's like, it's cool to see that growth. And then you watch a game like him take eighteen threes against the Pacers, and you're like, but just over there, there's two guys in front of you and none in front him.
Speaker 3: The other team that I think is surprisingly good this year, that we're not gonna have time to like fully dig in. But the Warriors are six and one. We'll see how they hold up against the Celtics and the Jason Tatum twenty five to three point attempts let's say thirty six.
Speaker 2: It's in play. It is in play.
Speaker 3: Their point differential is seventeen point three plus against opponents this season, just zero point one points behind. Okay, see okay, see by the way, set the record for the most wins open a season that we're all by double digits, won every one of their seven games by double digits. Golden State's right on par with them in terms of overall point differential. Again, it's just like I was saying that they just at random times appear to be like, all right, this is the one where we're gonna like have a championship run that nobody saw coming, like the championship run that they had two years ago where they beat the Celtics. I don't recall is foggy for all of us, but in retrospect like makes even less sense than it. Like it was surprising at the time, but like as with all news stories, we just like kind of get used to it and we're just like, oh, yeah, you know, it makes sense. They've they've got stuff and stuff. But like in retrospect, makes like Jordan Poole was the missing and greet like the added missing ingredient that everyone's like, yeah, no, this is why, Like, and he has since then not been very good, you know, like who's the Canadian? Yeah, Andrew Wiggins since then has like kind of fallen apart. It's like everything about that run doesn't really make sense in retrospect. And now they're kind of they're starting off like, yeah, we're gonna just we've decided to do it again.
Speaker 5: Steph hurt for like half the game. Shore, Yeah, he got buddy, I'm ready for the is Draymond Actually the Warriors MVP takes man.
Speaker 3: I've been ready, So.
Speaker 2: You're Stevenson Born ready for the.
Speaker 3: He has replaced Chris Paul is my favorite NBA player actor. His his acting Draymond h in the in the car commercials. His line deliveries off the charts for some reason. Him and Chris Paul is just jump jump off the screen for me. Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, anything else we want to talk about before we uh go into the rapid fire around.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think the Bucks probably just as somebody who's seen where Darvin go, oh what's going on over there? Oh what's going on over there? One in six I okay, I just think there's something that feels ominous though, like the start isn't great. Like I understand a lot of people went into like could could they be a contender this year? Like could they be? The start indicates no, they are not. And the feel that the vibes are, they feel like they're rapidly going down. Plus like the possibility of a you know, a the honest departure, it just feels like there's I don't know, like something needs to give in one direction.
Speaker 3: A Greek Are you talking about the Greek.
Speaker 1: Who's got more Greek in him? I don't know, I mean, do you think. I mean, I've seen people talk about it's like, well, if they can get if they can win the next twelve ten games, they can get to like kind of what the Knicks did in ninety nine and get to a finals. Like with that record, I'm like, m I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 5: I mean, first of all, shout out to the Blazers for having a better record than the Bucks right now, right yeah, that's that's my scorching hot take.
Speaker 2: Dave never should have left Portland three.
Speaker 3: And five of the Blazers versus one and six, Milt one.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean again, it's tough to go.
Speaker 5: A team with Gianna Sante te Coempo and Dame Lillard don't stand a chance in a playoff series, but like it's it would. I just don't know, it doesn't seem like they they can play defense, and they just haven't figured out anything yet.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's all bad all the good, like bullish takes on, like how good they were going to be this year. It turns out in retrospect where like people talking to Doc Rivers like on the golf course, right and him just being like, Dame's locked in this year. Last year he was just like kind of bummed to be at Milwaukee, but this year he just seems happier and people are like, all right, yeah, good enough for me, all right.
Speaker 5: Duck Rivers seems like an all time great dude to hang out, great hang oh, but he's not coaching your basketball tea he.
Speaker 3: Was after his last run with the Sixers. You know, he's really good ken be a really good regular season basketball coach. But I was like, like he just keeps getting shots. I don't totally get like why anytime there's like a team that people are like, these guys are gonna be good if they just like figure a couple things out, he gets that job. And then I started hearing him on podcasts. I was like, oh, I get it, Like I just want to hang out with this. He seems so cool. He just seems like he's the best guy, and like he has like interesting ideas and like draws on his knowledge and like history in a way that's just so like I don't know. I'm just like, yeah, man, take me wherever.
Speaker 2: He's got a ring.
Speaker 5: Plus he's got that right, so, like I bet in the room he just crushes.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah yeah. And that ring assistant staff was Tom Thibodeau, right, sotant, Yeah, that's wild. Yeah. There's some other team I forgot that we wanted to bring up who's also like performing a little bit under expectations, but I can't remember them right now, so we'll just move on from the Lakers. No, no, no, it's okay. It's the same. Oh, oh got it. It's the seventy six Ers. Oh yeah, yeah, the Sixers, I will say a little bit different. We haven't had two of our three best players play yet, so I think, like, you know me, I'm not always the most optimistic fan of the seventy six ers. I do think people can we can relax until embiid is back from his suspension, and I will not be commenting on the suspension at this.
Speaker 2: How many games I saw that you suspend it? How three games?
Speaker 3: Yes? Three games according to Shams.
Speaker 2: But Johnny bad news over here?
Speaker 3: Job just mad at him for having bad news.
Speaker 2: Defer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, am I right?
Speaker 1: Fire Sky.
Speaker 5: He's only saying bad stuff, he's only saying the negative stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like him. I don't like him.
Speaker 2: Why don't say the positive Paul George played in a game?
Speaker 3: You don't report that, Jams? What if that that's on set and seat of jam? Idea? Is that something Jams.
Speaker 2: Don't got.
Speaker 1: Be suspended?
Speaker 3: So dumb? All right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and do the rapid fire round the questioning.
Speaker 7: We'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 3: We're back, and it is of course time. Josh, you've you stepped in it once again, and it's deep stepped in it up to your knees. My friends.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I told you, I behind those horses.
Speaker 3: I know, I know Clydesdale's Clyde.
Speaker 1: So yes, the fourth quarter rap if I round of questioning Josh Godlman, you already know what the deal is. It's a question answer segment. Just go quick, don't use that you know what the impressive intellect of yours to find the perfect answer. Just give us what is the instant reaction? Your real stuff? Okay, yep, And if you're not, we will be rude to you. And it's very difficult to be rude to Josh Godlman because you are a very kind person, and we.
Speaker 2: Will do it will make me feel bad.
Speaker 1: Just glad.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm not saying that to guilt you. I'm just saying your rudeness will be effective on me. Thank you. I'm thought of you.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I told you. I told you we could get in this fool's head.
Speaker 1: Told you, man, we're gonna go. We're gonna throw him all off ballots. Here we go.
Speaker 3: Okay, shoot from the hip like me shooting a three pointer because I have very weak arms.
Speaker 2: And style.
Speaker 5: I truly texted a friend what weight should I lift so I can shoot and be anyway for three?
Speaker 3: So much?
Speaker 2: Probably?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just just a lot of shoulder presses, you know, just to get this all up, you know what I mean, raising the roof. Wait, Josh, you're getting us off our game. Man. This is the Rappi fire round of questioning.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 1: You can know first. I'm not gonna go first.
Speaker 3: I think you should Miles.
Speaker 1: Okay, Josh, first question. And this is kind of a sort of complex one. So we had a bit of an understanding in our show group text thread when I heard about Jaw's butt pass. He said, you guys, this is wow. This Jaw did a butt pass. I thought it was going to be Jaw kind of maybe using his butt as sort of like an air bud nose to sort of like pop the ball into the air. I didn't realize there's just him making a pass from his posterior yes, on the ground.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But if we are using that move similar to how like the Jason Williams elbow passed, and we are talking about a butt pass, what NBA player are you using to execute that move?
Speaker 3: Seventy six Yeah, you have a Sellly go something in the tank. Yeah, I like it. Yeah, I mean the seventy six ers a lot of Kyle is my number one, yeah, Yeah, Stacy King, Duckworth. These are names that popped up in my head like pear shaped players.
Speaker 1: You know, absolutely Chris Paul to Chris Paul could do Chris.
Speaker 3: But people who like played from their bat like Mark Jackson his whole career, like he used his butt as a weapon, and like you know, like he do you remember that this might have been before your time. But Mark Jackson's just one season just started backing people all the way down. He was six feet tall, but he was just backed people like to under the basket. It was unbelievable. Barkley, I think it was the first name that came out.
Speaker 1: Everyone's first. Yeah, but you gotta get a little nuanced with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, we're playing pickup hoops with People Magazine Sexiest Man Alive, and they've all entered the time machine. They're all at their physical peaks. Well, actually, I'm not going to say they're at their physical peaks. They're all at the place they were physically when they were named People Magazine's Sexiest.
Speaker 2: They were at their sexual peaks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sexual sexiest, sexual sexiest trowel peak. So we went first, and we took Denzel Washington circa nineteen ninety six when he won who And by the way, in a recent episode, we did learn that in the movie he got game he did all his own stunts and also in the final one on one matchup with Ray Allen, his son. In that movie, Ye insisted that like it was supposed to be like an eight nothing blowout, and he was like, that doesn't feel right to me. I think I should get some buckets here. I think people would expect me to and so he did. He got buckets. So we're going with Denzel, who are you taking with your second pick?
Speaker 2: I'm looking at a list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got I'm just gonna read backwards from last year, just for the listeners as you're making up your mind. Last year was Patrick Dempsey at age fifty seven for some reason. Before that, Chris Evans, Paul Rudd, Michael B. Jordan, Don't be confused, not Michael Michael B Jordan, John Legend, Addris Elba, Blake Shelton, Dwayne Johnson, David Beckham, Chris Hemsworth, Adam Levine from Matchbook, No, that's Marfa Box, Matt Book, Maroon, Channing, Tatum, Bradley Cooper, Ryan Reynolds, Johnny Depp, Huge jacked Man, Matt Damon, George Clooney, McConaughey, Jude Law, Johnny Depp again Wow, they were on the depth train. We had a little dep on that Chip.
Speaker 2: Had an incredible publicist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ben Affleck, Pierce Brosnan, Brad Pitt, Richard Gear, Harrison Ford. Now we're back in the nineties, Clooney Denzel. The fact that Denzel has won it only once is kind of wild to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, just need one though, to let him know.
Speaker 5: Josh, who you guys the duc rivers of sexy and you want to hang out with and do I.
Speaker 1: Want to handle Denzel?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 5: He was if people don't know, he was on Jesus and Marrow when I was working there all time. Great interview. He was just delightful. It's still and yeah, he was awesome.
Speaker 2: So it was great.
Speaker 3: You hear nothing but cool things about that guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he seems very cool.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going you know what, I'm going home hometown pick two?
Speaker 2: Ale.
Speaker 3: Oh, Now, do you have any reason to believe he can ball?
Speaker 5: So this is a rumor that I heard that I think is okay to have with this.
Speaker 2: I heard that.
Speaker 5: Bill Maher bought the house that he and Jennifer Lopez owned the first time they were together. And there is a Celtics branded basketball court in the backyard. Bill Maherr never got changed to look like anything else. So b Bar had a Boston Celtics basketball court in his backyard. I cannot verify that that's true, but that's enough for me to use Beneffleck as an number two pick.
Speaker 2: Oh Fleck, Okay.
Speaker 3: I think that's I think that's a decent pick. I was gonna go Clooney because there is just rumors that he has played basketball like that he gets up shots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and McConaughey. I will go McConaughey because he just looks like one of those like dudes who just goes so hard at LA Fitness with a bandanna on his head, like this can't play, but they just they just give it their everything.
Speaker 3: That's crazy energy, doesn't really know the.
Speaker 1: Rules and you're like, you're like yo, relaxed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like Rodman esque, just like just get into every offensive board for.
Speaker 2: Twelve with fifty seven.
Speaker 1: Exactly like forty steals.
Speaker 2: He he uses a swim move.
Speaker 1: Club in doing a club and rip, what are you d lineman? Okay, Josh, you have the opportunity to shoot a half court shot for the chance of winning fifty thousand dollars a free throw for five hundred dollars. Are you taking the easy money? Are you going for it?
Speaker 2: I'm going for I'm I'm I'm going to have to work shot.
Speaker 1: What's the furthest shot you've ever made that you can that you can think back?
Speaker 3: Have you ever made some from half court? You know you haven't work your arms? Did when you said I have been around? What the lifting you did? Rip the sleeves off your shirt? I guess we should have mentioned that.
Speaker 1: And you look like it was wild.
Speaker 2: I look a lot like twenty hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those shoulders.
Speaker 3: Unbelieve your shoulders are wider than you are tall.
Speaker 7: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of an upside down trad Ye woulders? I think I would? I think I do have cord.
Speaker 5: I'm sure I've made a half court shot at some point. I'm sure I think I've done it because I used to play all the time. And yeah, I'm not in my best shape, but like I have been shooting. I also look, I don't mean to brag. I have five hundred dollars. I could use fifty grand.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah for the money.
Speaker 2: Nobody laughs at you if you miss the half court shot.
Speaker 3: That's true. Oh yeah, the people who airball. Did you see the footage of like the Halloween night game. I forget what NBA arena was, but it was just somebody had to take it from half court and run up and make a free throw, and somebody in a Michael Myer's costume was just like walking slowly to swat their shot, and they air balled the free throw so badly and then got swatted on the next shot.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: My free throw percentage lately has been pretty decent, so I feel like I could do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been.
Speaker 5: I've been getting some shots up in the morning now that the teens are back in school, and I'm not worried that anyone will laugh at me or worse, uh, ask me to play with them because I'm not a pickup run shaped so I just like go out and take jump shots and choot floor.
Speaker 1: It's like that one dude who that older dude with the text A bald dude who's got the tyms on No.
Speaker 3: But you know that footage of that, You're just a screen.
Speaker 1: The older Greek dude with the beard who's got the tims? Have you seen him that? Like New York dude, that guy in New York who's just yeah, I forget what his name is, but I love watching that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, sorryring to I wish who has Cole Anthony.
Speaker 5: I wish he had made a more impressive showing with that dunk contest dunk in TIMS, because I thought that was like a fun But every dunk contest idea is fun until someone misses it three times and then you're just like.
Speaker 2: Come on, get on here, get out of here, let's see that. Let's see your plan. B.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have posed to the league the idea that like having a wrinkle where a team has to play in Tim's one quarter out of like the playoffs, they just if you haven't used it by game four and it's like all gonna be a sweep, you have to use it in the fourth. Go Yeah, it would be might be fun, all right. And finally, you are a Celtics fanm your team has a final possession down to game seven, fifteen seconds on the clock, taking it outside out of bounds. Which player from throughout your franchise history again, peak of their game do you want with the ball in their hands?
Speaker 1: An embarrassment of options here?
Speaker 2: And I know I think I think it's got to be Larry Bird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's the right answer.
Speaker 2: I think it's the right answer.
Speaker 5: Also, it's not just his skill as a shooter, which I think he would hit so many threes in today's NBA, but I like his key channels his spite effectively. Like he was always a guy that when he really wanted to embarrass someone, he was very successful at that. And I think that's what you want at the end of the game, someone who knows how to channel that spite into victory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's the right answer. I think Josh, I think the test you thank you you got, or like Tadam shooting percentage.
Speaker 5: Printer right, if you had to shoot from behind half court and it's a buzzer beater byby Pritch pp, I mean logo.
Speaker 2: He's on such a ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Heater with wild unbelievable And.
Speaker 5: It's also like there's so okay, I know this is the lightning round, but I think it's so funny that it, like the convention is sometimes to shoot like just after the buzzer, right, people are concerned about their percentages, but it's like if you're playing the possession game. I hate the two for one. I feel like it's usually two bad shots instead of one good shot. I am always in favor of the heap because that's a bonus shot that was possession always.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, And to have somebody who randomly is great at the heave. Yeah, Like we were talking about this during the bubble. I think when Dame and Steph were just like, yes, shooting from mid court randomly, like on random possessions and it was going in Like, I feel like there's a possibility of that being a play that people just have to like scheme for defensive.
Speaker 5: It's going to lead to people, right, It's gonna lead to people playing defense on those shots, which is going to lead to like wildly controversial foul calls.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Well Josh again, yase the test as usual. You are an accomplished student. But where do the people find you and follow you and support you and and just keep up with the general goings on of Josh.
Speaker 5: Gondle I am at Josh Gondleman across social media Instagram, Twitter, TikTok Now. I have a substack that I write every Monday called That's Marvelous. It's a newsletter that goes to your email. It's free.
Speaker 2: It is Josh Gondleman dot substack dot com.
Speaker 5: And then I've a new stand up specially coming out probably early next year. Yeah, I'm really psyched about it. I guess I just got the final kide except for the graphics.
Speaker 2: It looks really cool.
Speaker 5: The director Chris Warner, the DP russ On it just like was such an incredible team to get to work with, and so I'm really proud of it, psyched for it.
Speaker 2: To come out amazing, looking forward to that.
Speaker 1: Because you are you're always You're always getting it done. Josh. You can make sure you follow us at the hashtag mad Boosti's B double O SD I E S. That's what we get, show links, that's you get the updates. That's how you find out how to get in on this Discord server. And you can make sure you can follow us. I'm on Twitter at Miles of Ray.
Speaker 3: I'm at Jack Underscore O'Brien.
Speaker 1: And this has been another flawless edition.
Speaker 3: Of Miles and Jack.
Speaker 7: Swish by here only as