Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central's.
Speaker 3: America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 2: It's The Daily Show with your host Michael cost.
Speaker 1: Everybody, We're cooking the Daily Show. I'm Michael Kosta. We've gotten so much to talk about tonight. Julian Assange is a free man, Alex Jones is a broke man, and the Surgeon General is warning America the gun violence is a bad who knew? Let's get into the headlines. Let's kick things off with some big international news about a whistleblower. No, not the Boeing ones. They've all suddenly died under completely normal circumstances. I'm talking about one who got some good news this morning.
Speaker 4: Julian Assange, who founded WikiLeaks and rocked governments around the world with it, is said to plead guilty in US federal court to a single felony charge in exchange where his freedom, ending the year's long legal saga around his explosive publication of US state secrets. Assage, celebrated by some as a hero, reviled by others as a reckless vandal, published state secrets of country after country, none more damaging than the vast trove of US classified documents WikiLeaks posted online starting in twenty ten, at the height of US wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Speaker 1: That's right, Wiki Leak's founder and man who looks like he feeds James Bond to sharks, Julian Massange is out of prison. And like many of you, when I first heard the news, I thought, which one is he again, because I thought he was Edward Snowden, And then then someone said, no, Edward Snowden is Edward Stone, and that's why they call him that, and that made sense to me. Now. Julian Osandra is the one who spent a decade on the run for revealing war crimes committed by America in Iraq, even though the people who did those crimes weren't punished. It's all things to an obscure military doctrine known as snitches get stitches. And let's be honest, a lot of this stuff he leaked, we already knew America was doing bad shit in Iraq. The DNC was in cahoots with Hillary's campaign. It's like how you kind of already knew that your wife was banging her tennis instructor, but it's nice to have it confirmed.
Speaker 3: By the way.
Speaker 1: In that example, I'm the tennis instructor. Now, some people think of sand is a villain for revealing state secrets, while others argue that the States shouldn't have had those secrets in the first place. But what irks me about Assand is that he didn't reveal any of the secrets I wanted to know. You know, he's gonna dump literally millions of documents, and not a single one was about aliens or who killed JFK or why they never made a Forrest Gump sequel. I mean, I don't want ten fast, infurious sequels. I want to see Forrest Gump accidentally invent the macharena. Right, Yeah, let's move on from a character that some love and some hate to a character who's much easier to judge, Alex Jones. Now, it's been a year and a half since the Boner Pillsbury dough boy was ordered to pay one point five billion dollars to the Sandy Hook families, and now the Repo man is pulling up at the door.
Speaker 5: Conspiracy theorist Alex Jones is losing his media empire. Court appointed trustee has laid out plans for shutting down Jones's Info Wars. The money will go towards the one point five billion dollars Jones has been ordered to pay families of the Sandy Hook shooting victims. He pushed the claim that the twenty twelve massacre wasn't real. The plan calls War one down operations and then liquidating inventory.
Speaker 1: Oh no, Info Wars is dead. But how will I know which vaccines turned me gay? The good news here is that this shows that if you maliciously lie to the American people, you will be held accountable like zero point three percent of the time, and the rest of the time you'll be elected president. But politics aside, I think we can all agree it's a great day in America whenever a podcast ends. So it's been a rough final week for Jones, but he spent it doing what he loves.
Speaker 6: Jones spouted lies even as he drove to the hearing in Houston.
Speaker 7: It is all a Raisin power ground.
Speaker 6: Leading up to the hearing, he had been vacillating between tears more lies.
Speaker 7: That was the FBI and the just Department behind all these fake lawsuits against me to get me off the air.
Speaker 6: And naked opportunity peddling supposed dietary supplements until the last moment.
Speaker 7: If you order any products at info war store dot com, you will get them before info wars a shutdown.
Speaker 1: It's crazy that his listeners think the vaccine is going to kill them, but then they spend hundreds of dollars on off label weight loss supplements. You know, I don't want anything weird in my body. That's why I take Bethel polyettrazol fifteen G and tiger gut. By the way, if you're sad you can no longer buy pills from the info war Store, please consider purchasing Michael Costa's pills for a stronger brain or whatever. Just give me your money, you stupid piece of shit.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Everyone loves a camera turn. Let's move on to some public health news. A lot of people don't know this, but getting shot is not good for your health. Luckily, America's top doctor is here to let you know. Knew.
Speaker 9: This morning, a first of its kind advisory from the Surgeon General's Office declaring firearm violence and urgent public health Crisis. The new advisory spells out just how pervasive firearm violence is and calls for the quote collective commitment of the nation to stop it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that you knew it.
Speaker 1: I thought the Surgeon General's warnings were supposed to be for things you can avoid. You know, you can choose not to smoke cigarettes. But no one's seeing this news. Like, you know, I was going to try to get shot this weekend, but now I'll change my plans. Sorry, I'm a bit skeptical. I know this guy's just trying to help. It's just that in the last year, the Surgeon General has already declared social media and loneliness as public health problems. And I'm like, hey, man, we know, all right, the surchon General never tells us anything we don't already know. Like if he came out and just said, hey, just say, you know, peanut butter stays inside you forever. That's something that's helpful and I can take action.
Speaker 3: Now, right.
Speaker 1: And that's another thing. Why are we trusting a guy who calls himself the surgeon General. That sounds like a profession my four year old daughter makes up. Yeah, I want to be either a surgeon general or a ballerina dentist. It's like you're just mashing two real jobs together. Dummy. If we're going to have a US surgeon general. Yeah, my daughter's a dummy. Sometimes, if we're going to have a US surgeon general, he needs to at least do one of them. Right, Either he's in charge of the President's surgeries, or we give him an army. Then at least when you sign into social media, he can drone your house. Social media addiction solved.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: Finally, let's talk about the moon. We see it in the sky every night. But did you know the moon is also in other countries? Well, it is, and now some of them are taking notice.
Speaker 10: China is now the first country to ever bring back samples from the far side of the Moon. It's Lunar Probe just completed its historic mission, retrieving samples of dust and rock from the side of the Moon facing away from the Earth.
Speaker 11: Chinese scientists anticipate the return samples will include volcanic rock that's over two million years old, a major difference to samples collected by astronauts during the Apollo missions.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, you know, China's the first one to visit the far side of the Moon, which, if you don't know, is the part of the Moon the Earth never sees because the Moon Okay, it's spinning while the Earth. Okay, it's turning like in my head is China.
Speaker 12: And it.
Speaker 1: You guys get it anyway, China did it. So now there are three different flags planted on the moon, the Chinese flag, the United States flag, and that flag from sant Alito's wife, so the woman loves flags. For more on China's landing on the Moon, we go live to Cape Canaveral with Josh Johnson. Josh, this is a huge scientific achievement. China is the first country to reach the far side of the Moon. What does this mean.
Speaker 13: I'll tell you what it means, Michael. It means America's guy get back to the moon right now? All right, someone called Neil Armstrong or Lance Armstrong or or Lance Bass one of them.
Speaker 1: But why why do we have to get back to the moon?
Speaker 13: Because the moon is the only thing America has left. We don't have the best cars anymore, we don't have the best democracy anymore.
Speaker 1: Even the best basketball.
Speaker 13: Players are from like Slovaka Stan. You know, all we have left is the moon, and now China's taking that from us too. No, No, as a matter.
Speaker 1: Of national pride, we're going back, Okay, so we're gonna build a whole new Moon program that's gonna be expensive as hell.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, it's gonna bankrupt us. All right, we got to cancel Medicare and education immediately. Okay, sorry, kids, you can't read good no more. But you can take pride knowing America is the best at Moon.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, so we're gonna blow up our budget just to show China that we can also collect moon dirt. Oh man, come on, We're not going up there do that nerd shit. We're going up there to knock their flag down. Why shot shot.
Speaker 14: If we knocked their flag down, you're gonna start a war.
Speaker 1: No, no, no costa chill.
Speaker 13: What's gonna start the war is when our astronauts knock it down with their dicks.
Speaker 1: This all owl, This isn't down. This is a terrible idea for starters. Taking your dick out on the Moon. It's gonna make it explode.
Speaker 13: I know, but it's the only way to show China we're still the big dogs.
Speaker 1: But josh, we've already been to the moon. We're focused on Mars now.
Speaker 3: Not anymore. The Moon is our girl, Okay.
Speaker 13: We've been together since the sixties, Mars was just a side piece, all right, and now China is trying to take our girl behind our back and in our face. We can't let that happen. And that's why I'm here at the launching pad. What I'm gonna go win the moon back?
Speaker 1: Josh, No, don't go to them. You're not qualified to go up. Josh, come back.
Speaker 15: Josh, Josh, listen moon Juh.
Speaker 1: We've both made some mistakes.
Speaker 13: We fooled around with Mars, and you let someone else get your rocks off.
Speaker 1: But we're together now.
Speaker 13: Baby, and America is never gonna leave you again. Now let me get up in them craters, Josh.
Speaker 15: Josh, wait, Josh, don't take your dick out, Josh. I think as Dick exploded, I tried to warn him, Josh Johnson, everybody what we Dick exploding.
Speaker 14: When we come back, Lewis Black will be on the show joining me. Don't all way, Josh, welcome back to Davin Show.
Speaker 1: When a news story falls through the cracks, Lewis Black catches it for a segment we call back in Black.
Speaker 16: Ah Summer, when my bulls glue themselves to my thigh and don't let go until Labor Day and if you're a kid.
Speaker 3: It means going to camp.
Speaker 16: Summer camp used to be about playing sports, making friends, and, if you're lucky, finding a dead body. But for parents who think it's time for their five year old to start focusing on a career, there are a few camps just for them, like this one.
Speaker 13: Chick fil A is getting some backlash over its new summer camp coming to Louisiana at the end of July.
Speaker 17: Kids will learn scales such as taking guest orders and backing food.
Speaker 12: The franchises that are doing it only charge about thirty five dollars ages five to twelve, and kids learn.
Speaker 1: The chicken sandwich business.
Speaker 3: Wow, did you hear that?
Speaker 16: Chick malayans a summer camp.
Speaker 3: Tell me now.
Speaker 16: Kids are finally getting to learn the chicken sandwich business. You know, nothing says summer fun like third degree grease burns. And the beast part about Chick fil A camp is it only costs thirty five dollars.
Speaker 3: What a bargain. I mean for thirty five dollars, you.
Speaker 16: Can't even find a babysitter on the terror watch list. Even Khalid Sheik Muhammad was forty dollars an hour and he didn't even change diapers.
Speaker 3: But if that's still too steep a.
Speaker 16: Price tag, you can always bring them for free to the company who's basically raising them anyway.
Speaker 3: Apple.
Speaker 17: For over twenty years now, Apple stores have hosted Apple Camp.
Speaker 1: This is where kids and their parents can get creative on the latest Apple devices.
Speaker 11: This year's session focuses on using the iPad to create an interactive storybook.
Speaker 1: They're creating animations.
Speaker 17: They're adding ar shapes at three D shapes to ear photos where they place the three D shapes in the world around.
Speaker 16: Then, Oh, thank god, just what our children need, more screen time. I hope they'll use these iPads on planes at full volume while I contemplate getting a second besectomy.
Speaker 3: Better safe than sorry.
Speaker 16: I will say these Apple camps seem way nicer than the ones in China.
Speaker 3: I mean, for starters, the kids get to leave. Oh stop it, seriously, wake up? How do you moan over there? Unbelievable. But maybe I'm judging too quickly.
Speaker 16: Who knows these camps could be fostering the storytellers of tomorrow.
Speaker 18: And basically, a donut as a vase, but the ball always goes through his hole, so his friend helps him put like a in his in the full time so the ball doesn't go through.
Speaker 16: This girl could write the next great animated film. But if you dare touch the opening weekend of Inside Up three, I'll sue the shit out of you. Follow your dreams, but stay away from Daddy's gravy train. But if the fry Elator and ADHD don't do it for your child. There are some camps that teach actual.
Speaker 3: Skills, which is all.
Speaker 12: Fire Department gave young people the opportunity to have experienced what it's like to be a firefighter. It's hosting a kid's summer camp, and the fun kicked off yesterday. This year's summer camp introduces them to the roles and responsibilities of the Fire Department. With up close and hands on experience, campers ages eight to thirteen will get a view of firefighting tasks like pulling hose, spraying water forcible entream and rescue.
Speaker 16: First of all, I don't think you need a camp to teach teen.
Speaker 3: Boys how to pull hose. I mean they tend to figure it out on their own.
Speaker 16: By the way, camp is just like police camp, but with more cardio and less framing people for murder. I admire these kids but they better not show up when I burned down my Panama City condo for the insurance money. Stay away from daddy's other gravy train your little.
Speaker 3: Life saving shits.
Speaker 16: But a firefighting camp sounds like too much fun. Don't worry, You've still got options.
Speaker 17: At this summer camp should be longtounds middle schoolers take care of baby Tory a seventy five thousand dollars high fidelity simulator.
Speaker 1: And there's also so pick you boyson.
Speaker 3: Do you want to dress a wound or build a bony?
Speaker 17: Bay Cares Diane Roush Camp Nurse Junior at Dunedin Sally L. Bailey Nursing Education Center is not your typical teenage summer fun. Here they're learning about patient care and broken bones and CPR and more. For Camilla and Ellie and dozens of others, this might be their future.
Speaker 3: What the fucking is that supposed to be a baby. It looks like someone knocked up Megan.
Speaker 16: Somebody's sending that thing to the Supreme Court and we'll have abortion back in no time. But of course, there's also one very affordable summer program that parents are forgetting about ignoring your kids and letting them go off for three months. You know, watch TV, kickrocks, maybe even pull some hoes. That's how I spent my summers as a kid, and look how I turned out.
Speaker 1: Thank you Mike COVID, Thanks for having a.
Speaker 3: Little course black everyone, and welcomed back.
Speaker 1: Peter Goodman will be joining me on the show, so don't go away.
Speaker 19: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 1: My guest tonight is a global economics correspondent for The New York Times and author of the new book How the World Ran out of Everything Inside the Global Supply Chain. Please welcome Peter Goodman. Yes, so how the World ran out of everything? During COVID we ran out of toilet paper, baby formula, computer chips. We had cars that were ready to run, but no computer chips. What the happened? And did we fix it?
Speaker 20: We have not fixed it. I'm sorry to say. The vulnerabilities are still there. What happened was a reveal of something that had been there for decades. We are dependent upon this really improvised ad hoc rickety supply chain. It's really a bunch of supply chains. We've been devoted to this kind of reckless, ruthless form of deregulation and during the pandemic, just as we were in our darkest hour of need, it buckled, and yeah, we ran out a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: When I was reading your book, I kept asking myself the same question, which was, why don't we just make this shit here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why aren't we making all of the shit here? Well, but you you answer that, but explain, explain it. Explain to me again.
Speaker 20: We could make more things here, and there's a movement to make more things here, and that's helpful. It's in the margins. But we're not going back to self sufficiency. Look, if there was no trade, you and me wouldn't be having this conversation. We'd be out trying to feed our families with bark or whatever. And you know, I'm not that good at growing food.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you're not either. So here we are. We're dependent upon a globe supply chain. I did lose a tomato in the wind last night on my rooftop garden, but.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I don't want to try to feed my family through my own labor. So we have trade, and we've got a lot of jobs in this country that are dependent upon a global supply chain. And it's been a consumer bonanza. We've just done a very poor job cushioning the people who've lost jobs. We don't need to throw out globalization. We need to reconfigure it. We need sensible regulations. We need working people to get more of a piece of the action so we have a more reliable supply chain.
Speaker 1: You tell the story in the book about one company that is trying to make these glow in the Dark toys, even as a contract with Sesame Street, and he wants to actually use American manufacturing, but can't find American manufacturers to do it right.
Speaker 3: I mean, he calls around these are these?
Speaker 20: I follow this one container from a factory in China to the west coast of the United States and then across the continent to Starkville, Mississippi, where his warehouse space. He couldn't find somebody to make the molds for these products unless he paid twelve times as much as the price in China. You try to get somebody to make up kind of children's pop up book style package for.
Speaker 1: His product, and he was told, this.
Speaker 20: Is just too complicated, go make this in China. It was the path of least resistance.
Speaker 1: You follow this path, this container ship from China all the way to Mississippi and literally this is this is the path it takes. I mean, it is a harrowing journey. And as an American that buys a lot of stuff, yeah, I'm going, holy shit, I didn't know that all this happened. I just press click and then it shows up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well then it worked.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. Do I do we need to buy less dumb shit? I know it's like not the most intellectual question, do we need to buy less dumb shit? It's a legitimate question.
Speaker 20: Look, I rode for three days with a long haul truck driver from Kansas City to Dallas and back.
Speaker 1: It sounds like my worst nightmare.
Speaker 20: It's everyone's worst nightmare, which is why we don't have enough truck drivers. And the best part of that moment, we're somewhere in Oklahoma and this truck driver looks out the window and he says, people just buy too much the word you just use. And we could do well thinking more carefully about what we buy and what we need. But let's face it, like we're gonna keep making stuff, We're gonna keep consuming stuff. The question is are we going to have a more resilient supply chain or one that's just optimized for basically big box retailers and investors, because that's what we've had now for decades.
Speaker 1: I had before reading your book, I had always kind of seen China as this aggressor that has taken American jobs and manufacturing. And do you feel that's the case. Is that an accurate portrayal? I think what you painted the picture so well in here was that it's American business executives, right that are saying we can make more money. It's not the American worker that's saying this. It's the executed factory.
Speaker 20: Jobs moved to China because publicly traded corporations governed by the imperative to lower their costs and produce lower priced products, but fattened their margins as well. They sent production to China. They were encouraged to go there by the investor class, and it worked out really well for them. And look, this is an old story, right, Chinese labor was brought in to build the railroads, talk about it states, Yeah, and the Walmart going to the People's Republic of China. That's just a continuation of the old story of basically undercutting American labor unions, undercutting American working people. These are decisions, you know, the hollowing out of our factory towns that are not made in Beijing. These are decisions made in boardrooms in New York, in Seattle, in Congress.
Speaker 1: It's not always portrayed that way, right, you know, it's portrayed as there's China taking our economy.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 1: But what we have a big debate coming up Thursday night. Trump in correct me if I'm wrong, But Trump puts some tariffs on China, and Biden has kept a lot of those, has advanced them, has advanced that. What can we expect when this question comes up Thursday night? Where do they stand on?
Speaker 20: You know, I don't know how much nuanced there will be in that debate, but let's face it, there.
Speaker 1: Are very few things I think we all know that debate. Yeah, yeah, there.
Speaker 20: Are not many things that garner agreement in American polities. But one of them, unfortunately, is the sort of cartoonish depiction of China as this job killing juggernaut without any of the details that we've already discussed. I mean, I think in terms of the differences between these two candidates, Donald Trump is a threat to the global supply chain. He's proud to be a threat to the global supply chain.
Speaker 3: He likes the photo.
Speaker 20: Op of slapping tariffs on steel and mugging for the cameras with steel workers going back to work. Never mind that there are six to eight times as many people who go to work at factories in America that buy steal as there are people who make steel, so those companies are less competitive. Biden is also bashing China. This is a bipartisan initiative, but it's a much more nuanced kind of industrial policy.
Speaker 3: It's less about.
Speaker 20: Containing China's rise. I mean, Trump is really about let's have a cold war with China. Biden is more about let's embrace industrial policy. Let's try to make electric.
Speaker 1: Vehicles in the US.
Speaker 20: These are some significant difference.
Speaker 1: I was in Vermont this weekend performing I eat a lot of ice cream in my life. I wanted to go see the Ben and Jerry's ice cream factory where it all started. These were two men in nineteen seventy eight who started making ice cream out of a gas station. Right and then, as I kind of dug into it, I was also reading your book. It's kind of a perfect tie in. I REALI, oh, they sold the company to Unilever in year two thousand and all of a sudden, these two men who really care about keeping things local, who really cared about social issues. It felt like the big evil corporation was constantly pushing back against them and was constantly looking at profit margins. Is there something that I can feel optimistic about? Is capitalism always just defeat us? And these two little Ben and jerrymanscup it's capitalism.
Speaker 20: I mean, you know, the people who benefit from the status quot would have us believe that regulating and taxing and enforcing anti trust laws, we might as well, you know, be advocating Venezuela style, you know, I mean it's just nonsensical, right, Capitalism needs markets, Markets need regulation. They can't function with that. But in terms of what we can do, you know, consumers are not going to save us from the vulnerabilities in the globally comt We're busy dealing with it.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I can I can keep buying plastic shit from my four year old daughter on Amazon. I'm not turning you in.
Speaker 20: I mean, it's going to take any trust enforcement, labor mobilization so that working people get a piece of the action. So they're less likely to quit their jobs in the middle of a pandemic. I mean, you know, Henry Ford problematic character Newer a thing or two about making things in the supply chain. He said explicitly as he raised wages for workers in twenty fourteen and was called a communist by somebody, said, I just want to make things reliably. Any business that's premised on low wage labor is inherently unstable.
Speaker 1: Right And that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 8: It feels like, I mean, normalcy is built on this idea that huge numbers of people have to do dangerous jobs away from their families, with little control or understanding about their schedules, and they just have to suck that up for the benefit of our sort of just in time, ruthlessly efficient that turns out not to be so efficient.
Speaker 1: Global economy. You personally that I can steal from you? What can I do? What do you do? What any habits of yours that have changed since research and writing this?
Speaker 20: Yeah, I mean I try to give my business to people who are actually in control of their businesses. I mean, if you're mostly transacting with big companies that are answerable to Wall Street, then you're ultimately transacting with entities that are thinking about shareholder interests the bubble. They can't afford to be kind to their workers necessarily because their competitors aren't. They can't afford to think about keeping production local, they can't think about the highest quality ingredients, and they can't think beyond the next quarter. So certainly local small production. But again, consumers are not going to save us from the vulnerability and the global supply chain. It's going to take regulation, it's going to take labor mobilization.
Speaker 1: But it helps to know that my fourteen dollars strawberries at the farmers market is probably going to better use than the nine dollars strawberries at the Amazon. You need to stop somewhere else, exactly. These are the celebrity prices that I get. Look how the world ran out of everything is available now you're good man, everybody, Thank you everything A quick break of the white back after us. Thank you. That's a show for tonight. Here it is your moment of zad kary.
Speaker 9: What makes you nervous?
Speaker 7: Oh when my wife yells at me when I'm coming home from work, and not really I'm unsure what she's mad about.
Speaker 11: On this particular day is really when I when I get nervous.
Speaker 9: How about for the debate, because if that happens on Thursday, you know you'll have about It's.
Speaker 1: All good to take that offline.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 3: Plus Paramount Podcasts