Speaker 1: January full of promise, yes, but sometimes difficult to navigate with those short, dark days that stretch seemingly on forever.
Speaker 2: Fear not.
Speaker 1: You may not be taking notes, but I am, and I'm currently focusing intently on every single minute of extra daylight that we've been gifted since the winter solstice. Little by little, the days are getting longer and lighter, letting hope in with each little sunbeam that's able to pierce the cloudy skies and come to rest upon our shoulders. Are you experiencing a winter of discontent? I hope not, But I also know that each of us experience personal trials. Nobody's life is perfect and without storms. If you're currently weathering some difficult times, my podcast Guest Today can offer some soothing comfort and shore up some faith in yourself that may be difficult to locate right now.
Speaker 2: Faith.
Speaker 1: Broussard Cade began her career as a school counselor after completing her master's degree in Human development counseling at Vanderbilt University, but after a serious car accident back in twenty eighteen, she found it impossible to return to the school setting she had been in for more than a decade, she shifted to providing virtual independent counseling and coaching from home, and she began sharing positive affirmations and mental health content on social media. Her encouraging handwritten post it notes she called love letters to herself, resonated deeply with a wide audience, and she became quite an Instagram sensation. Now she's turned those notes into a bright and beautiful little book, Shine Bright Anyway, ninety affirmations that declare you are enough when the world says you're not. The message is so important and January can be so rough, so I chose that for my January book club. Pick Faith is joining us today to share more insight, more gentle goodness, and more wisdom for how to get through the toughest of times. And Shine Bright Anyway. Right after I share some gratitude for one of today's podcast sponsors. Have you been looking for a milk replacement because you have dairy allergies or sensitivities. Well, I found one that's absolutely amazing. It's Sherry's hazel Cream, made from Oregon hazelnuts. This plant based milk stands out from the competitors because it's designed for cooking and baking. It all started because Sherry, who could no longer tolerate dairy products, wanted to make gravy, but not gravy that tasted like coconut or oatmeal. So by enlisting the help of her engineer husband and a friend that's a food scientist, and through much trial and error, Sherry's Hazel Cream was born because of a special roasting process. It's very neutral and taste and works with a large variety of recipes. It comes sealed in shelf stable, easy to use, pre measured portion pods that you place into your blender, add varying amounts of water to make milk cream or even condensed milk for pies and other mouth watering desserts. It's delicious and mashed potatoes and cakes, in creamy soups and even casserole dishes. Visit she serries Hazelcream dot com to learn more about this product, to read Sherry's story, and to place your order. It's at Sherry'shazelcream dot com, c H E r I S Hazel Cream dot com. Use code Love twenty four for ten percent off your order that Shehery's Hazel Cream and Love twenty four. Welcome aboard Faith you are so lovely, You are so beautiful.
Speaker 3: Thank you, You're kind.
Speaker 1: You are a ray of sunshine. Like your face, your countenance glows with that beautiful inner light.
Speaker 3: Thank you. That means a lot.
Speaker 1: So we're going to be talking about you, your life, your little book that sounds like it kind of happened accidentally and yet has inspired thousands of people. And the reason I wanted to have you on this episode is because with the darkness outside. I don't know about where you are, but a lot of people where I am are struggling. It's like this heavy cloak of darkness. You know, you walk around singing hello darkness, my old friend, because at four o'clock, five o'clock, it's you feel like it's midnight. Absolutely, absolutely, Yeah, let's talk about shine bright anyway, which let's do it.
Speaker 2: By the way, do you have a light?
Speaker 1: You have a light from within your eyes, You sparkle, your smile is beautiful. I can tell that shine bright Anyway is truly. I mean it's not just a phrase, it's clearly your motto. So so tell me what tried to dim your light? Oh gosh, what hasn't you know? From the outside looking in, I see the little white paeony behind you or whatever, that little trait of magnolia, a little magnolia, steal magnolia. And people are going to put a B and C together and say, you can't write a book about shine bright anyway because you don't know what it's like to suffer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're going to make assumptions, not knowing that every single day is a struggle for me, every single day, probably more so than a lot of people. And it's simply that I choose to not let that struggle or those challenges be the entirety of my story or the entirety of my narrative.
Speaker 1: So give us the biggest challenge that you've had to face, or challenges something that tried to dim your.
Speaker 3: Lyne biggest, absolute, biggest by far is living with a traumatic brain injury. And that's kind of where if you look at my social.
Speaker 4: Media or you look through my book and you see these little handwritten notes on paper, these little affirmations, those were born out of my journey to recovery from this traumatic brain injury.
Speaker 2: So what year.
Speaker 3: Twenty eighteen January ninth, twenty eighteen, So it just came upon seven years? Was my profession? Is a mental health counselor. Started my career as a professional school counselor. I was working at an elementary school in Johns Creek, Georgia, which is a suburb of Atlanta, on my way to work one morning, completely normal day, and I was sitting at a stoplight hit from behind at full speed by attractor trailer. From that accident, I sustained a concussion and a traumatic brain injury, which in postconcussive syndrome as well as traumatic brain injuries, they don't go away. They're just something that you get better at managing TBIs. Traumatic brain injuries are oftentimes what people consider is invisible. They can be invisible disabilities depending on the severity. So some people that have brain injuries also have coinciding spine injuries. So if you see someone sitting in a wheelchair right, or someone who's paralyzed or who cannot walk, there's assumptions there that they have a TBI of some sort. But then there's a different part of the spectrum of brain injuries where the damage that has done is invisible. However, it causes the person dealing with it to struggle with everyday things that most people don't even think about. So, for example, I have extreme sensitivity to light and sound. Anytime I'm in a restaurant, I'm looking for a store or any public place, I'm usually looking for the nearest fire escape, like how can I get out of here? And there's this overwhelming feeling to want to run or escape from that area because sensory stimulation is extremely high. Migraines, nerve pain, chronic fatigue, chronic insomnia. So on a regular basis, I will go three to four days straight without sleeping at all. Like this is not oh, I got a bad night asleep last night. I only slept like four hours. No, this is completely awake for three to four days straight on a regular basis. And we know from studies and tests things that you know. That's why they used sleep deprivation as torture tactics with prisoners of my right role and right right because it causes you to sometimes have symptoms of psychosis. It causes you to like literally feel like you're losing your mind. So I'm dealing with all of these things on a regular basis at the same time, trying to be a wife, trying to be a mom. At the time the accident happened my daughter was three and a half. Since then, we have added to our family, and so I have a daughter who is ten and a little boy who is three. Living with those challenges on a daily basis and being a parent and being a counselor, and being a content creator and being an author, it's a lot. It can be extremely overwhelming. I feel discombopulated most of the time.
Speaker 1: So did the ADHD? Was that a part of your life before the TBI?
Speaker 3: That was before?
Speaker 1: So you you have been struggling my entire life, your entire life, and you're young, so now we can talk about it. But before you and I had this conversation, I was talking with my sister and we were like, wow, because I am learning because I have you know, so many kids, and a lot of them have ADHD. One son has a traumatic brain injury from long before I adopted him, just you know, but learning for them, going to the IEP meeting for my eight year olds and getting books and buying books and educating myself to be a better parent for him and for my other children and grandchildren.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, my gosh, why didn't I know this about myself?
Speaker 1: Like, why didn't I know there's a reason I jerked my legs all night long, And why did I not know there's a reason I have these piles of books and piles of clothes. I don't have a wardrobe. I have a floordrobe, and I always have Like since I was a kid, I had a pink chair that I got for Christmas from my mother, who upholstered it for me. I never saw the thing. I never sat on it once in my life.
Speaker 3: It held the clothes. Yeah, it just.
Speaker 2: It was just there to hold the clothes.
Speaker 3: Of course. Yeah, I think you know, these things were not explored as much back then as they are now, even when I was a kid. My tension is being split into so many different areas that once I get done with the kid's laundry and the cleaning, the bathrooms and the tidy all of that, my clothes pile is to me no longer a priority. If I have to choose between that in trying to get rest right, my clothes pile isn't that very high on the list in comparison to all of the other house things that need to happen that seem more urgent.
Speaker 1: Because they are more urgent because your kids have banned, so they have their band uniform exactly.
Speaker 2: That is more urgent, right, Whereas I.
Speaker 3: Work from home, and yes, I mean I see my clients for counseling via zoom, So like I just have to make sure that the top half of me is presentable, right if I don't have any bottoms, who cares?
Speaker 1: Players are not the sweats on with the whole ext you picked up off the floor for the fifth day in a row, exactly. So in Shinebright, anyway, you break it down for folks in the three parts, and you break that down for us real quick in those three parts, and then I want to talk about sure.
Speaker 3: So I try to place the book in a format similar to like You're going on a journey, because it is a book of ninety days of affirmations. So split it up into three sections, three thirty day sections that take you on a journey from essentially what the subtitle of the book is, which is ninety affirmations that declare you are enough when the world says you're not. And as somebody who has always struggled with feeling good enough, feeling worth, feeling like I have done enough, because part of the ADHD and also part of the TBI stuff is that feeling of like perfectionism want like if I just do this well enough, then that means I am enough. If I just make sure the house is tidy enough, then my family will find me worthy enough. Right. It's all of these like conditions. If I then and I realized though, that every time I reached some sort of arbitrary milestone that I had place for myself that came out of nowhere, right, because they never said anything. This is all internal. Every time I reached that arbitrary milestone, it was never enough because by the time I got there, I had already moved the bar again. Every time.
Speaker 1: There's so many expectations put on moms, though, It's.
Speaker 3: Too many and I can't keep up with them. Comparison is the thief of joy. It is all of this act that we have to other people and other people's lives in their monochromatic, decorated homes and matching family out.
Speaker 2: There twenty eight bench wastelines and there.
Speaker 3: It can really it can really mess with your mind because it messes with it. It kind of skews that line between perception and reality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and filters.
Speaker 3: Filters, Yeah, we don't even know we don't know what's real anymore. But I found myself struggling with like feeling like I was enough, and I through talking with friends and seeing my clients, who are mostly women, I realized that it wasn't just something I was struggling with, but something that we kind of all were. And so I wanted to take you through that journey in my book of realizing first of all, that like, you are not broken. There's nothing wrong with you that and that's the first part of the book. Part one is you are not broken, that like, there's not something about you that needs to be fixed. If you looked at the person that you hold in high esteem and that you think is perfect, if you were to be a fly on the wall in their house, you would see them in their most vulnerable moments, feeling that something about them is not the way it should be too right. We all have these insecurities about different things, and for me, it's a beautiful thing because it takes the pressure off a little bit and it levels the playing field. I mean, I have so many celebrities, famous people that follow my content and comment on it and repost it. And these are people that you look at just like you said, in the beginning of this, if somebody looked at you when you walked into a room, they would assume fill in the blank, that you are fine, that you have no struggles. And we look at these people and we idolize them, not realizing that we are all spiritual beings having a human expla all struggling with something. We're all we're all in the same figurative boat. Now, some people may be in a yacht and some people may be in a paddle book, but still those innates.
Speaker 1: And those are jumping off the boat for the front of it, or.
Speaker 3: We've lost our paddles and we don't even know how we're going to get to shore anymore. Like we'll figure it.
Speaker 1: Out, we'll figure it out, We'll figure exactly that.
Speaker 3: There's this concept that that that humanizes all of us. And I think once I started to see that, it really helped me to then go to the next part of the journey, which is like, once you realize that you're not broken, then you can love yourself unconditionally and take care of yourself, which is part two, take care of yourself, and then part three is shine bright. Anyways, So in the midst of all of this that you've through, you realize that you're actually not broken, You're just perfectly imperfect. Right, you learn that you are also worthy of your own care and consideration. You're not put on this earth to just give yourself away to other people. And then once you realize that you can allow your inner light to shine that like, there are some people in life who will dislike you simply because you are beautiful, simply because you are smart, simply because you are well educated, simply because you have a wonderful career, simply because you have a family that they don't have, or whatever these expectations they've placed on you. But that's not your concern. Your concern is to nurture the light that is inside of you and to be a good steward of the gifts that you have. What other people think about you is irrelevant, And I think that's why I'm able to do what I do. People say, oh my gosh, what's your skincare routine? What's your that? Do you drink a lot of water? On most days I forget to drink water. So it's not that I think it mainly is I don't allow what other people are doing and have going on or what they think about me to be a factor in how I live my life, or in how I parent my children, or how I run my home. I mind my business. And maybe that's where maybe that's where.
Speaker 2: It comes with a novel concept.
Speaker 3: I mind my business. You will not see me on the internet making nasty comments on people's content about things that I disagree with. If I disagree with it, I just keep scrolling, scroll, or I just unfollow. Everything that you see does not require your attention. You do not have to attend every event that you're invited to, and that's in your mind and in the world right. Just just give attention to and invest into the things that matter to you and that you care about. Let all that other stuff go, because all that other stuff is what's covering up and dimming your light.
Speaker 1: How many people you know you've got your fans, your followers, your social call and my friends, your friends, the people that have found your book or found your post it notes and it resonated with them. And then you've got you know, customers, clients, people you are counseling and helping. Percentage wise, how many of those people, when you start talking to them, feel like they're enough?
Speaker 3: Zero zero zero, like that is an anomaly, some sort of mystic unicorn that I have not yet encountered. There's this concept like mental gymnastics that we're always trying to do and keep on top of that. I think I have not encountered one woman who isn't struggling with not just the expectations but the management of all of the expectations and all of the invisible labor and the mental load of how to make it all fit together and still function as a human being in the midst of it, and still also not be triggered, not be irritable all the time. That's one of the main things I hear is like, I mean, I love my kids, but it seems like everything they do irritates me. It's because you're so triggered on alert all the time. You are so overstimulated. You don't get a brain. You don't have time to just tap out and say I need to be by myself to refill my cup. It rarely happens. So, of course, when you are depleted, you have nothing left to give, and every little thing bothers you, and then we feel guilty about that. Right then we feel guilty for snapping at these adorable, little tiny humans that we've created, and so then we like, then we don't know what to do with the guilt. So it's this vicious cycle of trying and trying and trying and not feeling like you're enough, and then feeling guilty that you haven't done enough, and then not knowing what to do with the guilt. It's exhausting.
Speaker 1: It is exhausting, it is heartbreaking, and you think about all the stuff we put on ourselves and do to ourselves, and there ain't no marbles left.
Speaker 3: No, no, oftentimes there are no marbles left, and so it becomes like a borrowing game, right, Like you're you're like reallocating marbles from one day to another and moving them all around. That's what I find myself doing, to the point where maybe every day I don't get to use my knee marble for me, but maybe I just accumulate a bunch of my knee marbles and move them all to like one day or a weekend or sometime separate because.
Speaker 2: Let me know when that happens.
Speaker 3: Hey, well there's that right that we I'm learning more and more now that if I reallocate some of those moments that I spend on the self imposed expectations that nobody else really cares about, then I can I can find some spaces for me.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So for example, like I said, I'm from Southern Louisiana, love to cook one day and I read about this in the book. One day, my husband said something about like, hey, honey year and made jumble liya in a while. Immediately, my my good wife spidey senses go up, and I'm like, oh, he must have said that because you know, he wants me to make jumble eye today when I that day was supposed to be my self care day. I was supposed to spend the entire day at Barnes and Noble just being in heaven. Well, I'm like, oh goodness, if I don't make this jumble eye for him, he's going to be upset or he's going to think I'm this. I literally so I ran away with myself and I gave up my self care day to make this jumble eye. I went to the store.
Speaker 1: I got all the ingry I to go to multiple store, got this full love this, stop the spies, all the stuff.
Speaker 3: Came home, made the jumble Aya, put it in front him and he was like oh honey, this is good. Thanks for making this. But he did not celebrate me with bells and whistles. He did not do it with a ten piece orchestra. He did not sing my praises. When I tell you, Delilah was hot.
Speaker 1: And it's so resentful because he didn't do what you needed him to do after you did something.
Speaker 3: That he did as you too, exactly, And that is the point that I'm trying to make.
Speaker 1: You're talking to a woman who baked blueberry pie yesterday, because at lunchtime I said to my husband, I found these blueberries in the freezer that I froze a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: I'm going to make some jelly out of them.
Speaker 1: And he said, oh, man, I've been craving blueberry pie.
Speaker 3: There you go, that's all you need.
Speaker 2: That's all I needed.
Speaker 3: Go into turbo exactary mode.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, because obviously, just like you said, he's been wanting blueberry pie and I have failed. That's that is the subtext, and not being able to read his mind and perceive that he's been craving blueberry pie. Therefore, I must put the butter in the freezer, get it cold enough to make the crust remember all the things.
Speaker 3: That he didn't he did not ask, And so I'm and then I'm realizing that if I take away those moments right and invest all of that grocery shopping time and jumbalia and making time into me when he was supposed to be handling the kids that night because it was supposed to be my time away, they would have had takeout.
Speaker 2: Pizza and been as happy as could be.
Speaker 3: Perfectly fine, right, They would not probably wouldn't have had a furnit and a vegetable added to it like I would have done, but it's okay. They won't die from one day. They would have been fine, but I inserted myself into a situation that did not require me, and I lost the time that I needed for myself. So I'm realizing that's where I get my time back. Those extra things that I'm doing in hopes of getting some sort of warm, fuzzy validation feeling back that no one is asking me to do. They won't miss it if I don't do it because they did not ask me to do it, So that time is better spent investing in me having that alone time that I need to bring my baseline down to get my senses down from being overstimulated to regulate my nervous system. My family is better served by me doing that than me inserting myself into situations where I do not belong. And I think that's where we get those moments back that we really need for ourselves. We may not be able to get a weekend, we may not be able to get a whole day, but we can certainly get back a few hours.
Speaker 2: And take care of ourselves and take care.
Speaker 1: Of ourselves spending time with author and counselor Faith Broussard Cade Today, a compassionate voice and advocate for believing in oneself even when the world seems to be against us. We'll get back to our conversation in just a moment.
Speaker 4: Ah.
Speaker 1: Nothing better than a steaming cup of tea to take the stress out of a hectic day. You know my fav It's Bigelow Tea. Their signature constant comment Blend, with all of its citrus and spicy goodness, fits every mood and tea sipping situation. It's even available in decaf. One of Bigelow's newest bruise, Whispering Wildflowers, has hints of sweetness and help suppor stress, relief and relaxation too. It's a calming cuppa on the days I'm longing for a garden full of bees and blooms, but still waiting on spring. I'm also quite fond of their lemon ginger. It's zesty citrus and zippy ginger and a perfect pick me up without the caffeine, and as an added bonus, it helps support healthy digestion. Take a moment for you and savor.
Speaker 2: Some big ol Loo t.
Speaker 1: You can find all their blends, my favorites and yours at your local grocery store and by visiting bigelot dot com. Thank you, Thank you faith for sharing your faith, for sharing your light, for sharing your story, for being vulnerable, for being so stinking beautiful in your spirit and your hearts. And I hope people pick up your book and are inspired.
Speaker 2: Because we need it right now. Boy, do we need it right now.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. I appreciate it, and I appreciate you and all the work you've done a long time. I've been listening to you since I was in middle school, and I remember your voice being just so soothing and calming to me, So I just thank you for what you do.
Speaker 1: Shine Bright Anyway, ninety affirmations that declare you are enough. You are enough when the world says you are not.
Speaker 2: Faith.
Speaker 1: If folks want to follow you, because this book is a compilation of notes that you wrote to yourself, if they want to be inspired, If they want to follow you, where they Where can they find you?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? They can follow me on Instagram at flurtly speaks, you know, like the flower f L E. You are d l I s sp eaks. Slurdly Speaks. That is my Instagram handle, also my Facebook handle, and then my website is www dot slurdly speaks dot com.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Thank you, God, bless you, Thank you so much. Wonderful New Year.
Speaker 3: Thank you you too, de La.
Speaker 1: If you're struggling, if you have any measure of self doubt, if you feel like you won't be able to make it through whatever situation you find yourself to be in right now, Faith wrote Shine Bright Anyway for you. She had to turn her schooling and advice inward when she suffered a traumatic brain injury a number of years ago and felt like her life was imploding.
Speaker 2: She gets it.
Speaker 1: She wants you to know that even even when life is hard, you are enough. You can catch up with Faith and all of her kind and fabulous advice via her web site, flor de le speaks dot com. And you can find more information and order links for Shinebright Anyway at my book club blog on Delilah dot com. This inspiring little volume would also make a fantastic gift for anyone you know who might be facing a personal challenge or who carries the fear of failure with them. Friends, There's no doubt about it. Life can be challenging sometimes especially so it's our job to support each other in times of need and remind each other to never give up hope on ourselves. I know as you listen to this, you're thinking of someone that could use your light.
Speaker 2: Maybe that someone is you.
Speaker 1: Shine bright for them, Shine bright for you, Shine Bright Anyway. Thank you for being here with me. On season seven of Love Someone with Delilah Faith was the perfect guest to kick off the new year, and I promise to have more fantastic guest each month. Meet me here each time a new episode drops, and we'll get through twenty twenty five together.