Speaker 1: On Theme is a production of iHeartRadio and Fairweather Friends Media.
Speaker 2: As every Black History Month, we hear about the accomplishments of black.
Speaker 1: Folks from George Washington, Carver, Madam, C. J. Walker, Rosa Parks, made Jemison to Malcolm x, Astata Shakur, even Ben Carson.
Speaker 3: He may history too.
Speaker 2: The list goes on, But there's one person who gets shouted out the most. One person whose childhood home is an annual field trip for every child in the metro Atlanta area.
Speaker 1: One person who has his own federal holiday and statues across the United States.
Speaker 2: A Moorhouse man, a man of Alpha Phi Alpha. He had a dream, his eyes had seen the mountaintop. Of course, we're talking about Martin Luther King.
Speaker 3: Jumna.
Speaker 4: Our guest today on Meet the Press is doctor Martin Luther King, Jr.
Speaker 1: Who led the Civil Rights March from Selma to Montgomery, Alabamama.
Speaker 2: I'm Eves and I'm Katie. Today's episode what would King Do? King looms large in the story of America. He was a gadfly to America's vulturous ways.
Speaker 1: He dreamed of a better world, and he spent the majority of his life working toward creating it until.
Speaker 4: Doctor Martin Luther King, the apostle of nonviolence in the civil rights movement, has been shot to death in Memphis, Tennessee.
Speaker 1: Since his death, Martin Luther King's radical message has been defaned and repackaged and repurposed in some really strange ways.
Speaker 2: President Ronald Reagan evoked a line from King's I Have a Dream speech while opposing affirmative action, and in nineteen eighty six speech, Reagan said, quote, we want a colorblind society, a society that, in the words of doctor King, judges people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty one, former Speaker of the House Kevin McCarthy tweeted, critical race theory goes against everything Martin Luther King Junior taught us.
Speaker 2: So he's conjuring up Martin Luther King Junior to prove that kids shouldn't learn about Martin Luther King Junior. Okay, Oh, and.
Speaker 3: He's not the only one.
Speaker 1: While introducing legislation that would allow parents to sue schools teaching critical race theory in the classroom, Florida Governor Ron Desantist said, quote, you think about what MLK stood for He said he didn't want people judged on the color of their skin, but on the content of their character. You've listened to some of these people nowadays. They don't talk about that.
Speaker 2: That's their favorite little quote. But white conservatives aren't the only culprits speaking of Ben Carson. Ease, come on up to the front, doctor cosson this.
Speaker 4: Whole identity politics stuff is poisonous. You know, if Martin Luther King, Doctor Martin Luther King were here today, he would be absolutely offended. You know, he wanted people to be judged by the character and not by the color of their skin.
Speaker 2: That was Ben Carson reacting to Vermont prioritizing black people during their COVID vaccine rollout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's just ignore that black people were more likely to be hospitalized and die from COVID and quote doctor King out of context.
Speaker 3: Good plan, girl.
Speaker 2: People will be bringing up doctor King for the most random stuff. I found a New York Daily News article from twenty eleven about a lady who was selling shirts that said pull your pants up. The article reads, the Jamaica Queen's Resident considers the all too popular low slunk pants style and a front to parents, teachers, anxiety and an insult to the legacy of slain civil rights leader doctor Martin Luther. And a direct quote from the woman selling these shirts says, if our children today could get to understand the dream of doctor King, they would not be doing what they are doing by wearing these pants.
Speaker 3: It's like an American tradition to ask what what King do?
Speaker 2: But the thing is, King did tell us who he was, what he was about, what he would do.
Speaker 4: I own to hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility to poverty, racism, and militarism.
Speaker 2: He was a revolutionary. He stood with the poor and against militarism. And forgive me for stating the obvious, King was against racism.
Speaker 1: Hot take, But was that being said? It's also important to remember that King, like all of us, was flawed. He made mistakes, and he said things that really didn't age well.
Speaker 2: He was influenced by the patriarchal society in which he was reared, and he showed us as plain as day. In his nineteen fifties monthly Ebony magazine column, advice for living. His advice on topics like marital infidelity, colorism, and homosexuality is a time capsule of how ingrained sexism and misogyny were in everyday life and perpetuated by most of our respected leaders.
Speaker 1: We'll hear what Martin Luther King would have done from the man himself after the break.
Speaker 2: I first learned about Martin Luther King's advice column in twenty eighteen when Michael Denzel Smith wrote about it in The Atlantic. I was fascinated. All the facts I learned about King throughout school and this never came up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this advice column was not included in the curriculum, so tell me more about it.
Speaker 2: In the summer of nineteen fifty seven, King accepted an invitation to write the column from Larene Bennett, a fellow Morehouse graduate and associate editor of Ebony Magazine. In the September fifth, nineteen fifty seven issue of Ebony's sister publication Jet, an advertisement for King's forthcoming Advice for a Living column recommended that readers let demand that let the Montgomery Boycott lead you into happier living.
Speaker 1: Interesting ad copy What you mean, I'm not sure him leading the Montgomery bus Boycott qualifies him to lead people into happier living, but I will suspend my disbelief until I hear what he has to say.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, let me just read some of these questions. According to Stanford University's archive, Ebney magazine was flooded with advice seekers wanting to hear from the young activists. This question comes from a wife with a tyrannical husband. She writes, My.
Speaker 5: Husband is one of the pillars of the church. He attends all the services and contributes generously to all church activities, but when he comes home he changes completely complete tyrant At home he seems to hate me and the children too. What can I do? He was once a good man.
Speaker 3: Okay, what did king say?
Speaker 2: So he came in a little high.
Speaker 6: First, he said, I would suggest that you analyze the whole situation and see if there's anything within your personality that arouses this tyrannical response from your husband.
Speaker 3: Not putting the onus on her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not the greatest start, but I don't think the rest of the answer was that bad. So he continues, Second.
Speaker 6: You should sit down and patiently talk over the whole matter with your husband, showing him the unhappiness and disharmony that he's bringing within the whole family. Third, since your husband is a devout churchman, you may consider counseling with your minister on this problem, and he could probably say things to both of you that would restore the balance and stability of the home.
Speaker 1: So I feel like there was a lot that was unsaid in this question, and and it seems like the person who's asking this question is being very meek about it because hate is a very strong word and that doesn't go well with seams. You can't seem to hate somebody. So I'm really wondering what's actually happening in the household. And I think that's something that King just kind of like skipped over, and he jumped straight to the assumption that it's something that she did and that it's something that needs to be discussed in terms of like whose responsibility it was. So I think if he seems to hate her, I would imagine that she probably has talked to him about this before. I would guess like it might have come up at some point, or she might have tried to address it in different ways beforehand. So I feel like there needs to be some sort of third party involved already, like there needs to be some sort of mediator.
Speaker 2: Which he suggests the minister.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I also have an issue with that too because.
Speaker 2: Like Ali was in the church, so he's probably gonna be on the man side exactly.
Speaker 1: And also it's often known that you know, ministers do often try to act as psychologists or therapists to people when that's not their job. And of course they have certain biases in the advice that they're going to give. And yes, there's a personal connection.
Speaker 2: So I mean like a true third party, a neutral party exactly, a true third party. That's probably very rare in the fifties, especially black families, for them to go to therapists. Yeah, I feel like that's the only true neutral third party we can have because you can't bring your friend into your family because they also have that bias.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're not just going to get a random person off the street, So they can't go to the internet and just put a pole up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they can't go on ready and people say, by the asshole. So yeah, I feel like that would be very rare. So I don't know if that would be like typical advice you would give in context of the time period and how black folks was moving during that time.
Speaker 1: I also think that it's tough without the context, which is why that's where I started, because I don't know how if he hates her and the children, he could be a dangerous person. So I don't know what coming to him and being like, hey, you've been doing this, it's really hurting us, Like how can you change yourself? How that'll come off with him, Like if he would respond violently, if he would erupt in any sort of way to her asking that question. Because if she's gotten to a point where she's asking an esteemed person who she doesn't know personally for advice, I would guess my assumptions would be one she might have already tried to talk to him about it, or two, she can't talk to him about it because he won't receive it well and won't be able to have a conversation with her in any sort of civil way. So it's hard for me to give advice if if it's not possible to see a therapist, or if it's difficult to find a neutral third party and it's difficult to talk to him, it is a pretty tough question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a hallmark of these advice columns, which we talked about in the Princess Mysterious episode A Shapeless plug. That part of the gag was you were just supposed to say, like get a divorce, breakup because it's like that's not fun, Like we're just to work it out. And when she says he seems to hate her, I took that as like, you know how men just be with women they don't like. Yeah, that's what I took it as, like he don't like me, but you know I cook and clean and pop out babies.
Speaker 1: Now see, I can't agree with you there because the children are brought into it, and when you seem like you hate children, that's a different type.
Speaker 3: So he hates the whole family.
Speaker 1: And I think what ri you're saying is like he just he resents being in the situation he's in.
Speaker 3: He don't really want to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we don't want to be family possible. He has like some animis and we don't know.
Speaker 3: Though, because she don't she didn't tell us exactly.
Speaker 2: What I'm psychoanalyzing him. Now, Okay, all right, they're nineteen fifties, they're black. Pepeople were assuming, which I'm sure they are reading up any magazine and writing into doctor King. I just read The Fire next time, and James Baldwin was talking about his dad and how he was so mean because he believed what white people said about him. So if you just have like white people are your neck all day during Jim Crow as a man, and then you come into the house and that's the place you have dominion over some people, some men are going to act a fool just because they can't act fool with Whitey. Down at the job, they call you boy. They drop the stuff on the floor so you can go pick it up, So you gotta come in ready to be a man. And to you, that's showing aggression because you have all this pinned up aggression from your life outside the home. So I think that's what she is referring to. She's like, I think he hates me the kids because that's who he has quote unquote control over, and so that's who he's like giving all his like mean feelings towards. That's one educated guess why he's acting the way he's acting. And I think it's telling because King is a minister at this point too, And the first thing he says is what you done did to this man?
Speaker 1: Okay, So either way it goes even if it is this hypothetical that you've built up, girl, you know, built up the theory, or if it is what King says, where it's something she did to him, he's still the problem.
Speaker 2: No, I'm saying him saying like, oh, like you need to look within yourself. It's kind of a clue of what his last point was with going to your minister and talking like the minister at their church is probably just going to flip it back on her too. So she's really in like a tough situation, like maybe he is the type of guy her husband just super not self aware and being like, hey, you're making our lives a living hell? Can you stop that? Like maybe he'll change his ways, but probably not.
Speaker 1: No, because it has to have been happening for quite some time if she's gotten to the point about it, so yeah, yeah, it's probably at a critical point right now. Yeah, And it's been festering for a minute, like it's been sitting there building up. It's something that's been happening between the two of them. But the thing is, if she's writing in she wants to stay with him, but girl. I guess we need to address the fact that she said he wants a good.
Speaker 3: Man too, y.
Speaker 1: Onto that memory, and so there is some work that can be done. I guess advice that can be given to her too to like honestly evaluate who he is in the present and she actually wants to be with him in this moment, right, So maybe it is like okay, instead of there is a conversation that needs to be had with the question asker that's not like what did you do, but is instead like is this what you want?
Speaker 3: And who is he?
Speaker 2: Okay, Doctor King, come with it, Doctor Eve, Okay, more of King's advice. After the break, we're back with another question from Advice for Living, and Doctor King's answer might surprise you. This is from a woman asking about birth controls morality.
Speaker 5: She asks, we have seven children and another one is on the way. Our four room apartment is busting at the seams, and living space in Harlem is at a premium. I have suggested to my husband that we practice birth control, but he says that when God thinks we have enough children, he will put a stop to it. I've tried to reason with him, but he says that birth control is sinful?
Speaker 6: Is he right?
Speaker 1: Seven kids one on the way in a four bedroom apartment. Something's got to give. What did Kings say about her situation?
Speaker 2: He wrote, I don't.
Speaker 6: Think it's correct to argue that birth control is sinful. It's a serious mistake to suppose that it's a religious act to allow nature to have its way in the sex life. He also says, another thing that must be said is that changes in social and economic conditions make smaller families desirable, if not necessary. As you suggest, the limited quarters available in our large cities and high cost of living precludes such large families as were common a century ago. The final consideration is that women must be considered as more than breeding machines.
Speaker 1: Wow, that isn't something that I'd expect from a religious man from the South during the nineteen fifties.
Speaker 3: Look at Martin.
Speaker 2: But like some of these other answers, it contains multiple parts. He goes on to say, it is.
Speaker 6: True the primary obligation of the woman is that of motherhood, but an intelligent mother wants it to be a responsible motherhood, a motherhood to which she has given her consent, not a motherhood due to impulse and to chance. And this means birth control in some form. All of these factors seem to me to make birth control rationally and morally justifiable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I feel like this is one of those instances where he was talking a little bit too much, who gave a little bit too much in the answer, because it went a little off the rails once he started justifying his reasoning to say that birth control was like a moral and a rational decision. Saying that the primary obligation of the woman is motherhood is expected, but still wild when you're telling somebody that they have the right to be able to choose birth control.
Speaker 2: I said, she already got seven kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, she's probably pretty busy. Yeah, she's pretty busy doing the work of motherhood already currently. So it felt like it was a lot of judgment on King's part of the mother rather than him answering the question, because her question is really like a pretty simple one. She wasn't really asking for advice of what she should do next. It seemed like she really just said, is birth control sinful? And she was looking for guidance on that, And I think bringing what the obligation of women was into the question that he already answered, which is that no birth control is not simple was like a step a bridge too far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wanted to put some extra on it. But I feel like that's the nature of advice columns, Like you can't just write a sentence like no birth control isn't sinful. People want to feel like you considered it, which I think maybe when she read this question she was satisfied with the answer. He was ultimately on her side of the equation. But it is anonymous, so you can't like go show your husband. But I don't know hers is real specific. We got seven kids, one on the way, four bedroom apartment in Harlem, he says.
Speaker 3: This honestly, that probably wasn't that rare.
Speaker 2: Though true today it's like one person in this situation. Yeah, who could afford a four bedroom apartment in Harlan.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody considering being a brand machine in these days? Who's calling anybody that? Nobody questions that?
Speaker 2: So he did do a bit much with the primary obligation of the woman is that of motherhood. But like you said, that was probably just like power for the course and how people thought. But I do think he's like really ahead of his time, like even right now, because a lot of Christians are very anti birth control, not even anti abortion, like they are anti abortion, but they don't even want people on birth control, which is just so strange to me. But there's like a lot of people and we see that now happening with like the legislation that people are presenting, like they don't want the girls to have birth control. So I was surprised when he was like, no, it's not sinvil. It's like makes sense why you would come to this conclusion, like you shouldn't leave to things a chance. It should be like your consent. I was like, okay, Yeah, he could have said be fruitful and multiply exactly would a lot of people stop if.
Speaker 3: You still have the ability to have children there? Yeah, bear of the fruit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I be hearing people like that today right now, yeah, ten minutes ago. So yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the answer, even though you know it had its moments where he wanted to add a little raffle dazzle for the girls.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of the girls, did men ever write in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course everyone wanted advice from Martin Luther king Shaw. Here's one from a boy who doesn't want his parents to know he's gay.
Speaker 7: He writes, my problem is different from the ones most people have. I'm a boy, but I feel about boys the way I ought to feel about girls. I don't want my parents to know about me. What can I do? Is there any place where I can go for help?
Speaker 3: Poor baby? What did King say?
Speaker 2: He replied, your problem.
Speaker 6: Is not at all an uncommon one. However, it does require careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an inate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired. Your reasons for adopting this habit have now been consciously suppressed or unconscious repressed. Therefore, it's necessary to deal with this problem by getting back to some of the experiences and circumstances that lead to the habit.
Speaker 1: Okay, seemed like he was starting to veer a little too far into psychologist's territory.
Speaker 2: Well, he actually suggests the boy sees a psychiatrist. He goes on to say that basically a psychiatrist can help him bring this issue to the forefront of his conscious and see what actually led him to the habit. The habit being gay, I'm assuming and that since he's already recognizing the problem. He's already on the road to a solution, So that's a positive.
Speaker 1: H I feel like we started good by him saying your problem is not at all an uncommon one, because he was acknowledging that it's something that people struggle with. But like the answer that King gave was already off on a baffoot because he called it a problem in the first place. Overall, his answer was giving conversion therapy vibes. And I think that his answer to this child was who he is, who's already trying to figure out so much, like he's still developing, still understanding sexuality in so many ways, and probably doesn't have a lot of people around him that he can talk to. If he's writing into a column to ask for advice about it, which is also like an issue in itself, there's nobody actually in his space that can help support him as he has feelings that he doesn't know how to parse yet. But yeah, it could actually be even more harmful to this child who is like, well, it's a problem. One doctor King said, this thing that I have is a problem, But these are just normal feelings that I'm feeling. How are these feeling different than all of the other feelings that I have. What else is like wrong that I'm feeling that I don't quite understand? So that can be very confusing. I mean, we already know how damaging it is to children who are not affirmed when they feel certain ways don't have the support systems that they need. So it's kind of weird because King's advice was problematic, but there were phrases in there where I'm like, okay, like yes it does, like when he said it does require careful attention, Well, yes, it's something that you have to tend to, but not in the way in which King meant it.
Speaker 3: So this one just makes me deep.
Speaker 2: Sigh, deep sigh. What would you say to this boy?
Speaker 1: I would definitely start by affirming that it's not a problem, that it is something that other people go through, that it's not something that he needs to change. I think I would start in the advice in that direction, and then after that he asks for specific places. So it's hard for me to think about giving any sort of actually helpful advice without directing him to actual places that he could go.
Speaker 2: Oh where can I go for help?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think maybe because it's nineteen fifty, so even if there are places like that seem like they might be like a good resource. It could be just like conversion therapy. But like, I feel like the most basic advice would be like talk to a trusted adult, like a teacher or a cod which it was the nineteen fifties, away you know there are somebody gay, or absolutely are somebody that you know wouldn't care if you were gay.
Speaker 1: My issue with saying that, though, is that could easily lead back to his parents, because I feel like that was also more in the culture. And yeah, but I think that's difficult though, because he trusts that person. But that doesn't mean that the adult's idea of what the right thing to do is in going back to the parents. I think that sometimes adults think the best thing to do is to notify the parents, and they're like, you need to know this about your child, And the child already knows one thing because they're the ones who are interfacing with their parents, have that intimate relationship with their parents in the actual home space.
Speaker 3: So I trust.
Speaker 1: I also trust this child to have agency and intelligence to understand that their parent, you know, how their parents would respond most likely even though that may you know, that may not be true, they may respond with more care and kindness than the child may be expecting. But I do think that sometimes adults who think they have a child's best interest at heart say that, well Disney to go back to the parents, and they might not keep it confidential. And that's my only hesitance with that. It's just like not knowing exactly how a person that a child would consider a trusted adult would choose to enact that trust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: All that said, it still wouldn't hurt to like, for King to give that advice to the child within this column. You know, it's better than just not being able to do anything for the.
Speaker 3: Child at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do think one of the interesting things about advice columns but just like kind of expousing your thoughts on what other people should do in their lives publicly, is it really about the person who's like writing in or the specific person that you're talking about. But for the people in your life where that situation applies to them, now they see you a lot clearer. So if he had, like a child who was having these feelings about liking boys when they should like girls, or liking girls when they should like boys, and they see this advice or like, oh, my dad sees this as a price, or Uncle Martin Jesus as a problem, or who whatever the case may be. Like, however, the child relates to Martin Luther King the same way if there was you know, he's a minister in Atlanta and there's a woman in his church that finds herself in like an abusive relationship, whether it's verbally or physically, and she's like, oh, well, I read Reverend King's advice column and ebony, and this is what he said should happen the same way, like people these days are talking about people who've like had abortions, but like you might not know who in your life has had an abortion. But like when you talk so bad about people who have had it abortions, like the people around you're like, oh, you're not safe, you know what I mean? So I think that might be like an unintended consequence of all the things that doctor King is saying and not saying that all of his responses were like problematic. There are something that were good, Like he's against a death penalty, he was against the war, and people ask him things about that as well. I kind of pulled out the most delicious one. But yeah, I think that's an unintended consequence for this advice column, all advice columns. And just like when you like spout out things about like a celebrity, you know, like celebrity having a baby out of way, like, oh my god, she's so stupid. But then your homegirl just found out she's pregnant and she wanted to come and tell you, but she sees you typing on Twitter that all women who have babies with niggas out of way like are dumb, and the it's like, oh, well, now I can't talk to you.
Speaker 1: And they're forming these opinions based on people's lives who they have no idea about. So I also feel like it's easy to have less trust in when people are saying those kinds of things on the internet versus what they say with you in private. I feel like it's an interesting conundrum because like, yeah, on the one hand, you could see these people saying all these negative things in forming opinions based on lives they don't know it in public spaces, but like, probably what they say to you in their face about a life they know a little bit better is more honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably more empathetic, but I don't know. It's almost like did youso wear bandana is on they head and drive hoopties are dumb and be like, oh my god, I'm never coming to you for advice.
Speaker 3: Do you think I've dubbed?
Speaker 2: King continue publishing the column until December nineteen fifty eight, when his doctor advised him to limit his commitments following his September nineteen fifty eight stabbing. I think it's a great piece of history. Like we said at the top, folks are always invoking King and twisting his words. Here we get to hear directly from King in a less formal way. And remember King was in his late twenties when he wrote this column. His opinions would have evolved, probably did evolve up until his death at thirty nine years old.
Speaker 1: I think that's a good point though, to you know, think about all the ways that people are co opting doctor King's words and saying what he should have said. Everybody who says those kind of things are acting like they are the foremost experts on doctor King's ideology, on his biography, and we have to remember that they're not. Like people feel really empowered to say how they think doctor King would have felt, and what they think Doctor King would have done, not having done a ton of research on his history. So I think we have to take their words with a grain of salt and also remember that like at the end of the day, we can't say any of this, None of us can say any of this because doctor King is no longer with us, and we can learn from the words that he did leave behind and all of the other parts of his legacy that he left behind, like family and like all of the people who followed in his footsteps and learned from him. But he's not here to say the things that we are surmising that we're guessing that he would have said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean there are foremost experts on doctor King, and like they don't do that. And like as we saw people like that one little quote about the interpreting me in a colorblind, raceless society, or they love that quote about darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that.
Speaker 3: Do you know that one? Yes, I do.
Speaker 2: It would have hated on a bridge here that I hate driving over that brane. So yeah, people have they little keen quotes that they liked to cherry pick, but if you really read his stuff, like, they won't be quoting what he says about like war in capitalism.
Speaker 1: It's not feel good. Yeah, if it's not feel good enough for them, it's not good enough to be a SoundBite. Yeah, a little pithy, little SoundBite, but hey. You can read more of King's Ebony magazine at Vice column at Vice for Living online through Stanford University's archive. Give it a gander and let us know what you think.
Speaker 2: Now it's time for roll credits. The segment where we give credit to a person, place, or a thing that we encountered during the week is who are what would you like to give credit to today?
Speaker 1: I like to give credit to head wraps. I'm currently wearing.
Speaker 2: A head rap rocking it. Don't say you're just wearing it, rocking it.
Speaker 1: I was leaving the house today and I've just you know how sometimes you just get tired of dan your hair being the way it is. I love my hair. Don't touch my hair. I am not I am not my hair, but I was it was just getting on my nerves earlier. So I was like, let me put it up something that's comfortable. And I was like, I haven't been wearing heat wraps lately, and they're an easy way to like still feel good about myself, still feel fashionable, but also like head wraps have a lot of symbology in so many different ways, and so I can still like hold all of that while I'm wearing this thing where it's like I want my hair to be out today as well.
Speaker 3: So that's why I want to give credit to head wraps today. Shout out to head wraps.
Speaker 2: Okay, I can never look cute in them, like you got yours tied up. I can't. I don't know how to do that, and I'd be looking at the videos and I'm like why I should do not look like that? But yeah, shout out to hair wraps. I would like to give credit to time travel and the time travel that happens when you read a book that was written, you know, decades and decades ago before you were born for your thought of and you read it and you're like yes, like I understand exactly what you're saying, like you are speaking to me right in this moment. I just finished reading The Fire Next Time, and there are so many lines where I was like, yup, that's going on right now today, Like I feel you and I think that's a particular thing with literature, where you get to travel from the comfort of your wherever you're reading and really know what was going on in the minds of people at a particular time. And I think about that when I write too, that hopefully someone will read my words in the future and be like, yup, she right, So shout out to time travel and we will see y'all next week.
Speaker 7: Bye bye.
Speaker 1: On Theme is a production of iHeartRadio and Fairweather Friends Media. This episode was written by Eves Jeffco and Katie Mitchell, acting for Martin Luther King Junior in today's episode done by Spencer Bynes. It was edited and produced by Tari Harrison. Follow us on Instagram at on Themeshow.
Speaker 3: You can also send us.
Speaker 1: An email at Helloa at on Theme dot show. Head to on Theme dot show to check out the show notes for episodes. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.