Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Well Come, well come, well come, well come, well come.
Speaker 3: Welcome.
Speaker 4: In this house.
Speaker 5: I guess that's how we're starting it is.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's some hoes in this house, but not on this podcast. Welcome home everyone. We are thrilled to be with you here. They'll to be with you today. We are talking about what are we talking about again?
Speaker 6: We're talking about So this week on the podcast, Angela was incensed because Fox News ran a story Surprise Surprise, that was misrepresenting what happened at the State of the People tour, and she was getting upset about it, and I'm like, who cares, Like, ninety four percent of their audience is white, they're conservative people, and she's like, but they get all the numbers. So that got into a conversation should we care about what they're thinking, what they're doing? And Angela brought up the point that sometimes our black outlets, mainly social media, will take a story from Fox News and use their language and everything and run it, which again they depend on y'all to do. So I just thought, Oh, that's a good conversation. One do we same on the outlets that do that because y'all are part of the problem. Maybe y'all don't know any better. But also, should we care what white folks think? Should we be talking to white people? And should we care what they think? That's the question on the table. I got my thoughts, but I'll let you you say yes, Andrew.
Speaker 4: Should we care what white people think?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And should we care what they watch because it shapes how they feel and then how they move and how they.
Speaker 4: Act, and because that can impact us. Yeah, I do care.
Speaker 3: Now, now I don't. I don't make it. So I'll give you this example. Miss, what is it most wanted America? Most wanted?
Speaker 4: I don't know what.
Speaker 3: I was, because I'm liable to say a lot other different things, right, But but I would I would get really upset in my local paper because they would put pictures of last night's arrest and it almost always seemed to be like just a parade of black faces. And maybe I just only saw the faces that were black, I don't know, but it was really pronounced to me, and the cop shows that all the run in is happen to always be with black people.
Speaker 4: And I'm thinking white people know where you know, create crime. They don't do any crimes. And that that.
Speaker 3: And we wonder why people clutch their purse, you know, when a black man is approaching or walking past. Now, my wife is great because she does the exact opposite, right, like she sees somebody, she's grabbing her person, hitting the alarm on the car to say, you know, you're not safe as far as I'm concerned. But that stuff starts to shat, imagery begins to shape exactly how we are perceived and how we get interacted with. When when their excuse for every black person who has a job of any import is that they got it because they were black and.
Speaker 4: Mildly qualified, but not all the way.
Speaker 3: That's because it's being shaped by a whole narrative that they're being fed day in and day out. That says a thing, now, mind you, I think it undergirds what they probably, you know, at a very base level level think. But nonetheless, if we don't have disruptors to that, if there is never a counter narrative, then we got a whole bunch of folks out here walking around with a bowl, you know, a big old bag of falsehoods as a lens by which we get viewed through. We can't help it always, y'all. In fact, I think we can help it very little, but that doesn't mean we.
Speaker 4: Don't try well.
Speaker 1: And this is the thing, right, I like, I think Tif and I have talked about this. Tiff used to go on Fox News, and so, Tiff, I'm actually curious for you what changed in your thinking because there was a point where you were like, Oh, I'm gonna go on here and least at least and maybe I'm projecting, but I'm thinking you're like, I'm gonna go out here and make sure there's somebody on here telling y' all the truth and versus now where you like, forget you hoes not hosts.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, so nothing changed I did. I used to do Fox News twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen. I used to do Harris Faulkner her show and maybe some maybe some other shows. I would be honest why I went on those shows. I don't want to say our friend who gets mad every time I mentioned his name on air, but uh, I'm saying it. Albert he was. But it was great training ground because I had been a producer, executive producer all that before, but being on camera and so he would antagonize me and interrupt me, and be nasty to me and rude to me, and you know, poke holes at every point I made, and just be obnoxious because his point was if you can handle that, He would prepare people on Capitol Hill, like the Benghazi hearings like that was in his work portfolio, so he would handle me the same way. And his point is if you can handle that, then you should be able to handle any platform. And so he thought, like you should go on Fox News and do some of their programming. Now, I will say that was like right at the beginning of the Trump administration, and my ignorance and perhaps a little bit of naivete at that time is I did not know how bad things would get. I thought that there would be a time where we could all at least agree on basic facts. And at that time I did not look at, or view or experience Fox News as the danger that they are now. They were always just, you know, a problematic network and you know, right wing network. But I do think they shifted as they got emboldened during the Trump administration to something that I couldn't do. So I did it a few times, and I stopped doing it, and I will say Harris Faulkner took me to lunch because I refuse to do the network after like maybe five appearances, because every time I did it, I would be flooded with very specific death threats and not just like you know, I always call it a niggers, I'm gonna kill you nigger. Even some of the emails were like America's not racist.
Speaker 5: For sure, for sure, but you convinced me.
Speaker 6: You convinced me, But.
Speaker 5: They're not racist, you dumb. I mean they literally you get off.
Speaker 1: But your brain is smaller, like they literally they love to send over like, oh, but you're not racist.
Speaker 6: Just starting specific in the sense of like I'm going to rape you or I'm gonna watch you get raped and just things. And then they started not only attacking me, but anybody who followed me. You know, this is when I was like so active on Facebook, and they would like go on my mom's page, my friend page, and it just didn't seem like a good use of time. So that's my own journey. But I think in terms of viewership, you know, some people say like, oh, we've got to know what both sides are thinking, and you know, I just wonder. Sometimes when we give oxygen to something, we make it bigger than what it is. And so if you know, if one person is screaming in the air on Fox News that you know Tiffany Crosses, like you know Tiffany cross is running holes on K Street. You know, Like I don't know how many people, Well you brought up.
Speaker 3: You brought it up, sir and alone, and I said host in the audio back.
Speaker 6: But it's like, yes, be sure to you get to understand the the whole perspective.
Speaker 1: Of the whole, the whole perspective, the whole entire and Andrew is silent and Fox News just carry right.
Speaker 6: So I don't know, I like I do think sometimes when you give things oxygen, it becomes bigger, like you're introducing it and it's like people you're looking at a car wreck, and it's like, stop looking at it, Stop giving them our eyes, stop giving them our viewership, stop giving them free promo.
Speaker 5: But I you know, Andrew, what you.
Speaker 4: Said is kind of said that they're going to run it on rotation anyway.
Speaker 6: But what you said is like what we kind of have to care about what they're thinking about, because that's going to inform how they feel, So maybe yes, which is which is? And that can be dangerous to our physical person. It can be our violence to our physical person. It can be structural violence to our lives. So I get that point. So maybe I should adjust that and say I don't care about foxes, like I don't want to subject myself to seeing those things, because, like Angela, the re action, like your visible reaction to seeing it is how I feel inside. But it's not just Fox. That's how I feel inside when I read the papers, It's how I feel when I watch BBCC and and all of it. It's like the chaos of today. So I have to choose my piece. And it's like, I'm not going to volunteer to go look at Fox or talk about Fox because that is just foolishness and you know, not worth my time, and it's just going to add inks to me. But quite honestly, everything is added inks to me these days.
Speaker 7: But I don't know, Yeah, Angela, how do you handle it?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say we had a whole, and then I thought about how again it is just so tragic.
Speaker 5: I'll never be able to say handle no.
Speaker 1: But I said we had a whole, and I was like, oh, we had a whole We had a whole conversation at the State of the people think about not letting Fox come in, like the whole. So a part of what I was reading, I was like, now, how did they even get this? So maybe they just you know, picked up or saw the stream, but I was just like we there was there were they were clamoring to get cameras in there, and you knew it wasn't because they wanted to spread relief, to ensure black people got relief at the event.
Speaker 6: And I didn't let him.
Speaker 1: A part of no, I don't believe somebody might have, but we had a whole conversation about we don't want them in here because the intention is not right.
Speaker 5: It's not to even cover, you know, without bias.
Speaker 1: It is to try to catch the mayor up and something we knew that was going to be the case. He showed up in his official capacity, not as it wasn't a rally for him as governor. It wasn't a rally for anyone running for office.
Speaker 4: This was an it was a black flag burning. Uh. I mean that's how they That's how they handled right today, Just.
Speaker 1: So we're super clear, because they keep being sarcastic on these podcasts. It was an event so people could feel empowered at a time where our hope is being stolen from us every single day.
Speaker 5: And I just think that.
Speaker 1: To go from the morning conversations we're having about the best way to get relief to Newark residents and then for them their takeaway for it to be this when there were gun violence prevention workshops and all of these incredible things going on, how to mobilize people, how to you know, help folks who are homeless, how to help pay utility bills?
Speaker 5: Like why are y'all even on this? And I think that the reality of it is tip to your point. There are so many.
Speaker 1: People who are clearly watching Fox who sit in those same income brackets of the people that were trying to help.
Speaker 5: And the real aully.
Speaker 1: Here should be the poor folks who are black and brown, because there are so much more in common then there is difference, and they can't see it because they want to be cloaked in their whiteness in ways that will make them feel more comfortable, even if that means ignore my nightmare and let me strive for this dream that is completely out of reach, but it would be in reach if I just was in coalition with these poor black and brown people.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's like I wish for the life of me that we could cut through because I know our intention is so good. Like this isn't about going viral or creating space for people in leadership or trying to get somebody more found.
Speaker 5: This really is about the ray Lewises of the world.
Speaker 1: Or Kenya Kenya at the event who talked about living in a motel who regularly brings food to the other elders who are in this motel.
Speaker 5: So she is unhoused and she.
Speaker 1: Volunteered with us from seven am to seven pm.
Speaker 3: But don't nobody.
Speaker 1: Wants to tell that story because that's not clickbaitable enough. You'd rather like go on here and say, oh, Mayor rest called himself David, I wonder who the glith.
Speaker 5: Is, bisch, We know who the glithe is. We are not confused.
Speaker 1: You are feigning confusion because that gets you the clicks.
Speaker 6: And about the mayor, respectfully, I would click on, well you would, but.
Speaker 1: You got some sense, You got morals, and you have compassion, tif and you got empathy. You got a convergence of all things that make you beautiful before we even get to your lashes, honey, right like you know, so I'm like this is and we and not the whole lashes and you're just lashes snuff.
Speaker 5: I don't call the kids lashes whole lashes.
Speaker 4: I even saying, I didn't say anyway.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying to keep the holes out of this. Yes, I'm just saying, or maybe bring them in. Actually bring them in, bring the holes into this conversation because the welcome.
Speaker 6: Yeah, welcome, yeah, because maybe the news they need. Honestly, we really are let me, sex workers is really what I'm talking about? Sex workers?
Speaker 3: And got that technical, I know, but I was and that was host That's all I said.
Speaker 6: And I thought he said what he said, I are you whole?
Speaker 4: Just trying to I'll say this point that's on point, which.
Speaker 3: Is I don't think that other minority groups who who should be in common cause with us, like in real life, in common cause with us, are going to find common cause until they determine that the approximate value for coalition with US is greater than their approximate closeness to whiteness and what whiteness brings in society.
Speaker 4: And I don't think any group is going to find residents or residents with our cause, even no matter how common you know, we share it, until they determine that being closer to that group will advantage me in society more than being close to that group. And right now, in every way, shape and form, society reinforces that your approximation and proximity to whiteness, if you can claim it, will bring you greater access, more power, more money, more ways to maneuver in society than being with that group.
Speaker 3: And I just think at every level it has to be disrupted. It's one of the things I wanted to ask the mayor, but I know we had a lot to try to get to cover. Is he's got a large Hispanic population that he's got to appeal to the in the state as he faces a general election. And as you know very intimately, Angela and and TIF peripherally peripherally for you, is that certainly in a state like Florida, the ways in which you are going to talk about a detention facility that may be illegally housing those who don't have proper paperwork in this country is going to land differently. Talking to Hispanics or folks from Latin American countries here, then maybe it will in New Jersey because they don't want to be approximate to an immigrant who is he or without papers.
Speaker 4: And we got to get yousolation. It wants to be close to those who would be.
Speaker 3: Enforcing the laws against people who are here without papers. Yeah, so I just I think it's a difficult formula. But I do think on the base at the most basic level, when we have to ask ourselves these questions, why aren't we in greater coalition, we are dealing with the same stuff. They want both of us down under their under their knee at every you know, at every competition.
Speaker 6: And you got to consider New yor Riecans. Puerto Ricans in New York are different than Cubans in Florida are different.
Speaker 4: Multiple generations in Cary.
Speaker 6: Is different than Mexicans in la like there are. So you have to disaggregate this. Because the white man came along and say, okay, we call on y' all Hispanics, that doesn't mean that this is all the same group of people. So we just I don't know, I'm concerned about about our ours.
Speaker 4: They incentivized toward the same outcome.
Speaker 1: I wanted to tell y'all since we were supposed to be talking about press a little bit, I just want to say one thing that I have been really shocked to hear consistently is how many people tune into our podcast to get correct political information and marching orders about what to do next. And I think that's really anyway. I thought we were in the clear. I thought we were in the freak. I thought we were in the clear. No, what's.
Speaker 5: We'll do it live. We'll do it.
Speaker 4: Livetering off the tracks.
Speaker 1: Almost underground or overground round right if there wasn't tracks, lest am I right?
Speaker 6: Drama about that made a plaint about how like people tune into us and on legacy media, mainstream media. They constantly played clips from like Kara Swishers podcast and like Joe Rogan's podcast, and we have had during DNC, we had guests that nobody else had on this show. We have insight and opinion and thought that it just doesn't matter to them, you know, like it really just doesn't.
Speaker 4: You're in their competition and not their compliment.
Speaker 6: But those other people are their competition, and they they what matters to them is white thought they center. Oh, I see what you're saying, Andrew, because they maybe no book like Karro Swisher gets numbers, like there are other people who get numbers, and it's like when they say something, it's like, oh, let's play this sound bite from this who.
Speaker 4: Gives a shape numbers and service the podcast.
Speaker 6: So that's fine.
Speaker 5: So boring people's podcasts I don't care about.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't say that.
Speaker 6: I said that, so I shouldn't say that. But like even pod Save America, no this to them. But even like people talk about their podcast and I'll listen, and I don't know that I have heard some great insights from voices. Sometimes it can come across a bit monotonous.
Speaker 4: Well you just need to give greater approximation to white people clearly.
Speaker 1: All right, So I don't know what's happening here today, but all of the post, we're gonna go.
Speaker 5: Ahead, log off. We got problems. I thought my A D D was bad, and I think y'all met me right in it.
Speaker 1: I Will says, I don't care what you say that we are, oh you guys, and his birthday is today when this is our podcast running on Friday or.
Speaker 4: Monday, Happy happy, happy birthday.
Speaker 1: And white our future Lawyer, Happy Birthday, and.
Speaker 5: Social runs our social stuff. We appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Be sure to subscribe, y'all and tell a friend.
Speaker 2: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.