Speaker 1: It's nine O Gen one Allegen with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling.
Speaker 2: Hi, so we're here for the second episode of season five. Sorry, I just got really excited.
Speaker 1: Was that too loud? No, it's worthy of excitement. I agree. We're in season five, you guys. This is things that we made it. We're halfway through. We're halfway through, and this is so different.
Speaker 3: I know it is, Jenny, You're right, but I'm loving it. How are you guys feeling it is different?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I feel confused and conflicted.
Speaker 2: The first episode, as you know, I wasn't sure, you know, almost flash folks and everything and this summer. But this one, I'm really getting into it and I'm starting to feel the butterflies inside from when I told you guys from the beginning. I think it's the college years that I love best. It's turning to hit that stride.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe it's just because I curtseyed. I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, I think you're right, because it was this episode that brought me back. I think this season things really thrive. Like I this one made me realize. It was when she was in her underwear and I'm like, oh my God. Yes, all of a sudden, I remembered this might be the best season of the series.
Speaker 2: You remembered again that she takes all our men. Did you guys know that there's like a famous So Darren Martin, I have to send this to you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: Sent me one of those caricature drawings that was done a valerie with all of our men's heads on the wall like deer heads when they put their fries on the wall after like a hunter. And I think she's sitting there like a hunter, and Jen, Donna and Kelly are looking through the door. My eyes are crazy big because they're characters.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: It was fine, but I'll send it to you guys. We can put her like her commerce social Yeah.
Speaker 3: Whoa. You know what I noticed right off the bat that I had forgotten Tiffany amber Thesim where she doesn't use that anymore. She's just Tiffany Theson.
Speaker 1: Oh she dropped the amber.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so was there something at the time where that was sort of a trend? Brian Austin Green Tiffany amber Theson, I have.
Speaker 2: The fact on this one. I say fact because I'm not sure about Tiffany, but I know Brian had to because there was another SAG actor named Brian Green, so he had to put Brian.
Speaker 3: Had to use it.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, that happens. That happens.
Speaker 3: I fully watched the credits again. I didn't skip them because I wanted to sort of enjoy the new credits for a minute too. We just go back.
Speaker 2: Sorry one second. I'm still in the name thing. That's kind of wild, like a universe thing that Tiffany Amber theson Brian Austin Green, both with middle names used in their full name, both with a's What are the chances it was bag and tat?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Did she ever go by tat? Because he sometimes I do write bag when I'm talking about Brian, Like, in fact.
Speaker 1: Brian Austin Green. I think that's a catchy name. I think that kid should be. It's a star.
Speaker 2: You know what. You You've always had good intuition, good taste. I think you might be right.
Speaker 3: Don't care for the hair, though, Oh I mean, I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't want to offend anyone, or certainly not you know, offend Brian Austin Green. I stop now, true, true, but yeah, that hair is just not attractive.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna make it personal for a second. I'm really glad that he had that hair because in IRL I might have been really tempted to still carry on a mad crush for him. And you know what, my crush days were ended very quick.
Speaker 1: I have the book on that one.
Speaker 3: You're going to be in a world a hurt in a couple of seasons because he comes back strong, but right now the hair is not right.
Speaker 2: It comes back strong.
Speaker 3: Oh that's looks he starts to look like really good.
Speaker 2: Well, there's there's some other things that happened in their life over the next five years. But yeah, okay, you.
Speaker 4: Guys looks goody. Sorry, I do think those are your new boobs. Yeah, I definitely too, definitely new boobs. I determined that as well.
Speaker 2: It's the two finger test. It was pretty spread far apart before and you can't no new confirmed.
Speaker 3: You look great. Both of you look great. I do really like the hair. I don't know if the long hair had started to just be dated or something, but this hair is very chic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody has short hair now, Tiff Valerie, Kelly Donna.
Speaker 2: It was on trend now there. Yeah, yeah, why did we read some comment from a fan? Sorry, I'm gonna get in trouble now a Brenda fan who were Brenda fans too, saying that Brenda had cut off Kelly's hair.
Speaker 1: Maybe they meant she should have.
Speaker 2: That now you have short hair, And I was like, did I miss that scene before she went to London she imagined or maybe that's their story because we were like, what would have happened?
Speaker 1: I like that creating a little drama behind the scenes, but on the show, I like that, okay for me.
Speaker 3: The fashion has also made a really strong comeback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my goodness.
Speaker 3: Season four maybe wasn't its best, but this is really good.
Speaker 1: The baby like, oh, the best of the nineties. I feel like.
Speaker 3: Totally with that tank under, I actually wanted to wear that again like Tory. Donna wears like the babied All dress with the tank under in that scene that I can't wait to talk about because it's so beautiful with you and Luke.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just never get scenes with Dylan.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, let's get into it, ok, let's talk about let's talk about it. Season five, episode two, Under the Influence aired September fourteenth, nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 2: Synopsis. Donna ditches the debutantes and refuses to run from David. Dylan spirals out of control when Nat lets the cat out of the bag about Brandon and Kelly. Steve keeps trying with Valerie while she's making moves on Brandon and Cindy's wallet. Meanwhile, Andrea skips Steakair and Claire skips Freshman Year.
Speaker 1: Directed by Scott Pollin, written by Chip Johansson.
Speaker 3: It's a phenomenal episode. It was good, itchy and does.
Speaker 2: It was weird for me.
Speaker 1: I usually I have two pages of notes. I have half a page notes.
Speaker 3: You guys, what, Oh my gosh, I have like twenty pages with so many questions as usual.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't write now. It's on my head, in your head.
Speaker 1: Plenty of room up there. You always hold it all up there.
Speaker 3: Do you guys like the sort of drama. The level of soapy drama is up a bit.
Speaker 2: I like it, but I hear you, Jen, It is very different than what nine two and zero originally was. But as we're getting older, drama does start to happen when you get to be this age, and yeah, it's more than when you're young and kind of naive and sheltered.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's really interesting to watch the show sort of evolve through the nineties now and be in the mid nineties, because everybody does look different in the fashion is so different, the makeup's different, the style of shooting the show is different. The only thing that remains the same is that GD boom. But we've decided that that's not something I should talk about anymore.
Speaker 3: Stylistic changes because like to me, the average like just fan, I might not be as attuned to that, Like, are you seeing differences a little bit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am, for sure.
Speaker 2: It's definitely evolved. It moves faster. I can attest to that because I know, Jen, you watch it with your kids and they like it. My kids were like, this is really slow, but good. They're starting to be into it because it's moving faster.
Speaker 1: I feel like they use a lot more stock footage.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yes, all the areas of Beverly Hills are wherever they are in the show, which is really cool.
Speaker 3: I noticed that a lot in this episode. You're so right, and I didn't mind it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sort of embracing the concept that the location is just as important, just as big of a character as the characters in the story. You know, when you're telling something like this because we kind of you know, we did it was Beverly Hills in the beginning, but you didn't really get to see that much of it. It was all sort of interior.
Speaker 2: Or they were one of the other the director turned in a kind. It was too short, so they needed to add some fill. I think you're right good call.
Speaker 3: Really know.
Speaker 1: What I know you'll be ecstatic about, though, is that Brandon's goate's gone right out the game.
Speaker 2: My god, really the comic villain. Oh, I didn't go back. I wanted to go back and see what he was filming at this time. It had to have been either that or you know, my dad was very into hair and makeup and everything, and for some reason it slipped through the cracks first episode. So he saw the first episode and he was like, off his.
Speaker 1: Face, Well, moving on, Donna looks great in this episode. I like your hair that length. I like when you had it all back off your face and know you tear to that so knows.
Speaker 2: I hate showing my face. So I can't believe that I actually went for it, But as a fan watching the show, not me, it's hard to separate when I see myself. But I was like, oh, my god, I love it, and I feel like that's super in right now. You see people with that slicked wet almost look it was all gel then. But you know, you know, I have not like Kim Kardashian.
Speaker 3: For me, it's very contemporary, Like I don't feel it's as dated all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: It feels entirety.
Speaker 3: In the entirety. Yeah, it feels a little bit more current. It felt really juicy. I know, we'll get into me. He loves the juice I do, and scene by scene, and I think the biggest fail is that they did not put Donna and Deshaun together as a couple, like they are so cute and really that would have been so cool to have.
Speaker 1: Whatever. Well, we really learned that Donna's mom is basically a racist.
Speaker 3: She's terrible.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Kelly's one to her though, oh my god, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from the beginning from Kelly's gown her forever, like has Kelly always been like, your mom's kind of not cool? Your mom doesn't Donna's mom doesn't treat her well, Like, great question.
Speaker 1: I wonder it feels like she's kind of reached her limit at this point with watching how this is going down Yeah.
Speaker 3: Kelly's very uh, I don't I don't know if the exact word is. I want to say intuitive, but I don't know if that's quite the right word. Very aware of what's really going on here.
Speaker 1: Because she knows Donna so well, like she knows herself, like they're so close, and she recognizes that this is not who Donna is, you know.
Speaker 3: The debutante. I mean, we go.
Speaker 2: I've probably said this before, but Kelly and Donna, their friendship really does mirror my friendship with Jen, because you know, we have friends, and you know, when there's situations that aren't great, there's some friends that kind of don't say anything, and Jen's always been the friend that's like, no, this isn't right. And then Kelly really is that person to Donna. So it's crazy how we couldn't have known, but it mirrored.
Speaker 3: I am so happy you said that because I had a moment, Oh my god, I almost got like tears in my eyes. I had a moment in this episode where I was not watching Kelly and Donna, I was watching Jenny and Tori.
Speaker 1: It was that way too.
Speaker 3: It was really like poignant, like I was like, oh my god, because it really your characters are your personalities kind.
Speaker 2: Of at their core, they're starting to Weirdy.
Speaker 3: It was a little weird, Jenny.
Speaker 1: It was, yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit.
Speaker 1: And I never really even realized it, and what you said to her, like, I never really even thought that through or realized it. I mean, I know, you know, we've talked before about the writers using us as people and sort of bringing in our characteristics as they got to know us through the years, but we just naturally brought in our own instincts and our own like reactions and facial expressions, all the things that are natural to each of us. And I loved it when, you know, because Kelly and Donna aren't seeing eye to eye and that the episode really focused on that, and the way they sort of brought everything to the table and talked it out and exploded at one another, you know, the way Donna rose up finally and said what she had to say, and the way Kelly didn't back down like it was so it was so you and me. It was crazy, and I was like I could watch these two characters. I mean, not because I'm one of them, but because probably because I love you so much that I can just feel like I could watch a W'LL show about killing done me.
Speaker 3: And Tori you can correct me if I'm wrong. I also had sort of a blurred moment because you do come from a very well to do family that is very high falutin, and you know your parents were that's true, how your parents are very involved in your life. You know. At that time, I like, were you a debutante? You know all those things? I was like, how much is this mirroring? No?
Speaker 2: I was not a debutante. I didn't even go, oh my gosh, what is it when you're younger?
Speaker 1: Katillion yeap, And so you didn't have a keen segniera either.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't have a bot mitzvah, I didn't you that's surprising. Not did not.
Speaker 3: I could have seen definitely being a debutante. I know one of us was a debutante.
Speaker 2: Sugarman was a debutante, you guys, but we did not. Can we learn so much about our co host every single week that we're like.
Speaker 1: And do the Texas down?
Speaker 3: So this is the thing we did not have to do.
Speaker 1: That is that just a Texas thing?
Speaker 3: I actually know. First of all, my faces got so red because I'm not. I'm very not the debutante type, but I was in San Francisco. We did have to curtsy, we did have to wear the wedding gown, we did have to wear the gloves. You do have the escore, you do the waltz with your dad, but we did not do that. And the factory that you did that, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, yeah, I was watching that thinking I wonder if she could still do that. So I got up and tried it. My it's doable. I think you doable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what was crazy is you went you did the Curtsey and you go down and then you went down more.
Speaker 1: Get her pretty little head on a pretty little puffy dress.
Speaker 2: I was I remember because they had to teach me. And I remember two things being like, oh my gosh, the storyline. I was not cringing, but I was like, is this happened? What did I get this storyline? Like I'm from I was from Beverly Hills. Like I didn't know about being a debutante. I don't know if that's something like you're saying you did it, so I don't know. I didn't know about it. So I was like, is this even real? Like none of my friends right, tell them. They're like, this is your storyline. You're a debutante. Oh my god. My friends in real life like were like, this is weird. And then they had to teach me, and I kept doing it. I was so nervous, like my heart was pounding on my chest. I'm like, please do it right, Please do it right. Please. I hope my boobs don't fault my mom new boobiz fall out of that dress? What's keeping them in?
Speaker 3: There was a lot that was accurate in it. The main there's a couple of flags I had on this episode, but the one that it's a year off because you actually would have been the debutante your freshman year of college. So you graduate high school, they like select you to be the debutante, and then you come out, as they say, like around December of your freshman year of college. Now.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is still a thing though. Does this thing is still happening today?
Speaker 2: Yes, like coming oss the country? Does this happen in California?
Speaker 1: Yeah, coming out all over the world, but for a different reasons. Yeah, thank god.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's still definitely seems so archaic.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, we do see what I do a little bit later, like, I don't you know what I'm talking about, Amy.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I can't remember. She just did a little physical.
Speaker 2: I just did a wave of what's to come for Donna down the line being on a float in a row?
Speaker 1: Are you the Rose Rose Lady?
Speaker 2: I mean, why did I get those storylines super Bay, because.
Speaker 3: They're kind of correct for Donna. This was not that outlandish for the Martins and Donna.
Speaker 2: Money, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And she's very high society missus Martin, and she wants to be high society and all of it, the fundraising, it's all for charity, these debutante things, and I don't know, there was a lot of accurate stuff.
Speaker 2: It's always I want to go I want to go back, just for one second and say that I loved working with Chress with Cres Williams, and I as well wish they had become a couple, like I, yeah, I know that was a storyline. They were delicately dancing around, but it would have been a really great storyline. And I felt like we had a lot of chemistry. He's super hot and yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and I love that the reason you stand up to your mom, the straw that broke the camel's back was that that's when you had had it and you're like, I'm out, I'm going back to school, I'm going back to my friends. This is a load of crap, Like that was the thing that she says in the kitchen that you're like, oh, yeah, okay, no meat, are.
Speaker 2: You sure there's not more? But Donna and Deshan, no, I think that.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's done yet.
Speaker 1: I mean, it would have been such a great storyline too, even if you hadn't they wanted you to stay on the debutante thing. I mean you could then you could bring in that you guys do end up being boyfriend and girlfriend and how that rocks the cart, and.
Speaker 2: That would have been great.
Speaker 3: They've created a great character with him now, like they kind of it took a minute for him to find his way because in the very beginning with the like he wasn't going to do his school work and he was maybe gonna cheat or want a Brandon to take his that was that isn't really who Deshaun is. And now we're seeing who the character has become and the chemistry and he's so charming and you like him.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: So the only sort of my first flag is Valerie is way too assimilated with the group, way too quickly.
Speaker 2: Baby Showers's videotaping what I was.
Speaker 1: Like, wait, what's this did? Just like I don't know. That was so upsetting to me because it was like, who who says that's okay? Like, I get it, she's she can because she's Brandon's cousin niece.
Speaker 3: No, they're family friends, family friend.
Speaker 2: We're still always going to think that they're cousins and it's gonna get super awkies because she's into him.
Speaker 3: I don't keep reminding me of family friends. And they have kissed, but yeah, but what does she wait Andrea, who's just come home from the hospital with this baby and said on this rando is just her bestie holding the camcorder and talking like they've been chums for twenty that I was like.
Speaker 1: I mean, there is something kind of cute about it, like accepting, you know, this new person into the group. I kind of like that, like vibe of inclusion. But I also think that they need to write it in a little bit and maybe while they're at it, they could write in a little bit of Kelly and Brandon's relationship, because now all of a sudden, she's saying I love you to him on the phone, like very casually, not like I've realized I'm in love with you. And there's no moment, there's no She's just like, Okay, I love you.
Speaker 2: They skip all of their momentous. I never knew this. I never knew in their relationship. That's like the big like OMG moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they skip what. I was like, wowsa, Like they said it like they've been saying a thousand times, and I don't particularly remember Kelly and Dylan saying it like that. M they're very cute.
Speaker 1: I do know that Kelly's ever said that to anyone.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm obsessed with them as a couple, and maybe it's intentional, like we're supposed to really they're in, but it was jarring. I'm like, I just want to see it.
Speaker 2: It's okay if they're in fast, I want to see it though, Yeah, see it play out.
Speaker 3: And obviously they and I know why, and Tory you may remember why, Josh Richland has sort of been written back.
Speaker 2: In I don't remember.
Speaker 3: Oh well, we'll find out very soon.
Speaker 1: Why does it take a long time.
Speaker 3: No, it's actually quite tragile.
Speaker 1: Does anybody I mean, oh, that's not good. I should probably shouldn't say this then, but I'm going to can. Does anybody care about this student government storyline?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: But I think they've brought him back for this. I can't remember if it's next week. And I'm not getting spoilers. We've all seen the show thousand times.
Speaker 2: No, we don't know.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 2: You're spoiling everything, right, not?
Speaker 3: Oh god, I'm gonna get so many dms. But yes, he's clearly been written back in because he sort of disappeared and faded ish. But here he's back, and all of a sudden, he's quite like Major. He also looks forty. No disrespect to the actor, but he looks really old.
Speaker 1: He's such a great face man like, what a great character actor. I don't know his career path, but I'm sure he's worked a ton.
Speaker 3: Should we talk about Dylan Good?
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 3: So. He looks smoking hot, he's blue.
Speaker 1: Perry is so babelish, He's so fine.
Speaker 3: And even drunky dirty Dylan is amazing.
Speaker 2: I think it's even better and we all feel for him that he has an addiction and he's an alcoholic, so obviously not trying to glamorize that at all, but he really disheveled. Dylan at his like slow point is super hot.
Speaker 1: Well, he throws around a number, a hard number of his fortune. Do you notice email always like how much money does he have?
Speaker 3: I mean he lost a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sucks. Yeah, I mean if I was him, I'd be going after them. I'd be doing more than just king my woes away.
Speaker 3: Totally totally can't.
Speaker 2: He can't.
Speaker 3: Jen.
Speaker 2: He's just you know, he's had family trauma, lost, like he just wants to do something but he can't.
Speaker 3: He's unhinged. It's like I sort of expect better, and I guess that's why they got the drinking in there, because that's why he's imploding. Because the real Dylan, the sort of new Dylan, really could have handled this differently. But he's just super unhinged and a hot mess. And the way he attacked the Walshes that was so aggressive. And I love Nat in this episode, so maybe we talk about that like that.
Speaker 1: Was oh yeah, because Nat can talk to these characters that way, like he's got that fatherly figure energy.
Speaker 3: I think as series goes on, he becomes more prominent, especially as the Walshes disappear. So I loved seeing that. But when he.
Speaker 1: Dropping Walshes are disappearing, not for a bit, one at a time, what's happening.
Speaker 2: We might have to have funeral at some point for Jim Walsh's suspenders when they leave the show, because you might not be.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, he officially is not on the show at some point the moment okay, I need to get some gig go below it. It's like you It's like I wasn't even there because you know what, I wasn't there. That was you know, a different person back then.
Speaker 3: Well, and there was some things that I'm sure you guys kind of had to block out or you're working so much I.
Speaker 2: Think personal preservation doing during the filming of this survival.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I really particularly like Nat in this episode. I really like how he sort of gives that signal to the Walshes like don't don't worry. He really you see the gnat that we sort of I think, always think of, and then he really lets him have it. But ooh, when he lets the cat out of the bag, I actually was like shook.
Speaker 1: Did you notice Nadine the employee at the beach Pit? She had two lines in this episode?
Speaker 2: Wait, I missed her first time? Jen, you think?
Speaker 1: I think that was Nadine's first time with lines, which means she got her sad card. You know, so cool. That must have been really big for her.
Speaker 3: Do you remember what she says at all?
Speaker 1: Nope? Just watched it last night?
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 3: Okay, Shall I keep going with my questions? You have something like a particular storyline you want to talk about.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but that line that Dylan says to Brandon when Brandon goes over to see him is so I don't know what's kind of haunting When he said she seems like such a long time ago, and he was referring to Brenda. I just felt it just sort of haunted me.
Speaker 3: And the interesting sort of continuing to sprinkle Brenda in which I like, it's not like she Shannon left the show and it's just like she's vanished. They say she called, and right after she asked my dad for money, she asks about you. It's like they're definitely acknowledging it. And we get the same thing with Valerie shopping. Why don't you get something from Brenda's closet. Oh she's a snige too, you know. Okay, here's the credit card, so her presence is still there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, yeah, good because Emily Valentine, I know she wasn't Brenda, but still, like we have talked about like they're.
Speaker 1: Long lost soulmates and then waiting for one another mentioned her name again.
Speaker 3: I really actually sort of had a lot of questions about the relationship between Brandon, Dylan and Steve. Steve is very quick to be hateful towards Dylan every opportunity he has, and it hasn't It's not just in this episode he's sort of a word about Dylan.
Speaker 2: He's threatened by him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it comes all the time.
Speaker 1: Steve was jealous probably of Dylan in a lot of ways. But I mean, I don't think that's warranted because some would say Steve is the lucky one of that of those two totally.
Speaker 2: I think typically with personalities, when someone has that, like you know, Steve gets reactive, Steve has some anger sometimes, Steve very kind heart, but all those qualities, I feel like he can easily be friends with Brandon because Brandon kind of is a neutral guy. He's about what he says, says it and Dylan's not. So they're very much kind of the same person in a different way. Steve Steven Dylan, and it's very uh typical.
Speaker 3: You don't see it of men as much as you do women, that he wants his best friend to himself and they really like. Even though it's subtle, it's almost like he's so jealous of Dylan taking Brandon from him that he gets kind of happy when Dylan's a mess because he gets more branded.
Speaker 2: Do you really think it's that maybe I didn't nerve with him.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: Because the romance before that word existed there.
Speaker 3: He go, yeah, And I think he always and I don't. I don't know if it's subtle or super intentional, but like whenever he introduces even with Howie Long, oh, this is my best friend Brandon Walsh, like he always says, there's about best brand, And so I do think that he's so happy when Dylan's on the ounce because he gets his bestie to himself, telling you, guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm gonna look for that. It's easy. He's easy to be friends with, he's popular, he's yeah, he's everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he always comes. He saves the day for Steve a lot, you know whatever. So in particular, I like the scene where Brandon comes in and Dylan's all drunk in asleep and he's like, get dressed, all be outside. It's very brotherly, but like with the authority that sort of someone needs over Dylan.
Speaker 1: In that moment in the situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was so distracted by their flannel though that I can't remember what transpired in that scene.
Speaker 1: I was distracted by the way, Yeah, Luke was so good at waking up like dear like he was so good at waking up in scenes always because it looks so real.
Speaker 3: On that note, I'd like to commend your fake eating with that ginormous sandwich. He never took a bias. It took like I thought it was a chip. Was it the lettuce? Yeah, you took like two bites, but it wasn't annoying because they didn't just keep showing the sandwich. You sort of backed up into the couch and then there was the makeout. So I was like, all right, I'll let it slide that she never took a bite of.
Speaker 2: It's odd because they used to give choices usually with food just to make sure you're okay with it, or maybe that came later in seasons we had more authority over the food props.
Speaker 1: But I could have never eaten a sandwich on camera. My TMJ was just forming at that stage, like just coming in hot right out. I had just gotten the TMJ and there's no chance of eating a sandwich like that.
Speaker 2: What about a salad? Like they didn't give like, hey do you want this or this? And you'd be like, hey, I want a salad, not like a sandwich in the seat.
Speaker 1: It never really ends up mattering because you don't eat it.
Speaker 3: A piece of pizza would be a little easier, maybe just you could take one bite of it.
Speaker 1: Who knows, who knows? What do you guys think of every every I think she better get my freaking bathrobe off. That's what I think, bitch be wearing my bathrobe?
Speaker 2: And because my man, what's that?
Speaker 3: Totally? Brother? Now, what did you think? Okay, speaking of when Dylan says, what are you doing here at two in the morning? And I think, hmm, a good point. Why would you go over there at two in the morning, Kelly? Where was she coming from?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: Back?
Speaker 2: Off? She must have had a reason like her, Yeah, stopped. What do you mean? So Dylan called Kelly out for me, I.
Speaker 4: Like it, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Why is she there to am? I have no idea what was she going? Because she felt bad the way things were going down. She was worried about him. I'm gonna stick with that.
Speaker 3: Too, And why would you go at two if you didn't want to hook up?
Speaker 1: I don't think she's looking Kelly Taylor.
Speaker 3: I mean, he sure said you did. And I was like, it never would have occurred to me. But he called it out, and I'm like, why is she there at two in the morning?
Speaker 1: Oh? That watching them those body shots?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Oh I hated that Hey did it?
Speaker 3: It was kind of wrap And he says, oh, I'm sorry to harp on this, but he says, it doesn't take a psych class to figure out why you're here at two in the morning. And I was like, oh, there's explore this.
Speaker 2: This is all hypothetical. What if Kelly was there because she still has feelings for him? What if in that way, what would have happened?
Speaker 1: There would have been trouble in River City, bigger trouble than Brandon and and and Dylan already have.
Speaker 3: But he put the nail in the coffin by being not only like so gross with Eberley, but also so aggressive, and she was like, I'm so done with you bye.
Speaker 2: Everally looks very familiar.
Speaker 3: She was quite lovely, but I think it was also intentional.
Speaker 2: I can't find her name on our guest star lists.
Speaker 3: Who played Everly. Don't you think they also made her from the Valley on purpose? Eight one eight?
Speaker 1: I was like, come on, they wanted her insulting, Yeah, what's wrong with the valley?
Speaker 3: But that's why they're telling you remember the movie.
Speaker 2: Valley Girl and like clueless, like you would never go to the valley?
Speaker 1: Like, no, it's not like that.
Speaker 2: Now the Valley is all the rage.
Speaker 3: Okay. They got the hip after the flower Shop because they did the five to five five, because remember they showed the flower Shop with the real phone number.
Speaker 2: Every sorry on.
Speaker 1: Sometimes in a relationship, that's what it takes, though, that that final straw, And maybe Dylan was doing that intentionally in some subconscious way, hmmm, because he knows that Kelly's better off with Brandon. I like that he wears.
Speaker 3: A robe like nobody's business though, because.
Speaker 1: It's like in an ugly robe, even like a most dude.
Speaker 2: Face a body, the whole thing, like nobody's business. It's just let's be real.
Speaker 3: I agree. I'm like they both are so hot.
Speaker 2: Wait, and remember I was all Brandon like season one. I was like, I've never known this. I'm now as a fangirl. And then I was like, oh, I'm not enjoying the Brandon of it all because of the hair and different things. And then he's back, So I'm full on Brandon and Dylan now like obsessive with both of them. They look great. Bye, David, Bye.
Speaker 1: We really need to talk about val coming out in her underwear. Oh my god, this was a big moment.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a bathing suit at first. It was so like coordinated.
Speaker 1: I was like, she was wearing heels, so epic. It's so epic the whole thing, and so nonchalant about it, very funny.
Speaker 2: It was definitely the amazing. She looks amazing. I'd love to give that a shout out, that her body looks gorgeous. And I was just like, I kind.
Speaker 3: Of agree that. Do you think they sort of because like they don't make you guys walk around in your underwear, you know, maybe a bathing siren on the show.
Speaker 2: She's the bad girl, she's a sex symbol, and.
Speaker 3: They sure threw her in her underwear real quick, really quick, same bra. Though it seemed like, as you guys flashed, just the.
Speaker 2: Black that's all that existed at that point in life.
Speaker 1: But I was like, Brandon, Brandon, pay to look to your left when he was on the phone, was like, look, there's a girl. There's a she's in her underwear. Turn turn and he never took him forever too.
Speaker 3: So what do you guys make of Valerie and Brandon and her like? And then she's in the pink satin robe and kind of standing there.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see them hook up. I'm not gonna lie. Is that wrong?
Speaker 3: Oh my god?
Speaker 2: I can't say that it's your boyfriend? Oh my god, is that gonna Happenry, No, it's your boyfriend.
Speaker 1: But but does that happen? You're not gonna tell me?
Speaker 2: This is spoiler.
Speaker 1: I want now please tell me, because.
Speaker 2: I mean, how old is he supposed to be at this point?
Speaker 1: How old?
Speaker 2: Like the card? Okay, an eighteen year old nineteen year old boy? I'm sorry, that's living night next door to you with a Jeff Jill connecting bathroom. I'm sorry, walking around in heels in a black stropolis braw and it's probably like, I don't know. Does she turned around? I did and see that bar. It was a g strength, No, it had it was French. Okay, it doesn't matter what it was. That's hard to resist. I'm sorry. He's just a young but it's who never does anything wrong, but he still has he still is feelings. She's Louise. That would be a hard one to turn down. She's making it real hard, which isn't nice of her.
Speaker 1: And not fast, like, yeah, she's not wasting any time.
Speaker 2: But they kissed me. Of course, She's probably always had a crush on him, and she's probably here and like, oh, okay, this is perfect. I'm right here. I'm gonna get him.
Speaker 3: They sure like to show her pot cigarette. I don't know what you call that.
Speaker 1: She took one, but she never smoked it, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she has one there and then she like put it in her cigarettes. I don't know. I was nervous Walsh's credit card. I thought she was really going to go to town on it. I was like, give her a spending limit at least something. I'm like, oh my god, what are you thinking of Valerie?
Speaker 2: Here's why I like her. She's a bad girl, but she doesn't play it. She has a genuine what's the word, like a nice heart quality coming through that makes her vulnerable.
Speaker 3: So yeah, well because she's very cute looking. She's so cute looking in the hair.
Speaker 2: She acts cute, you know, she Yeah, and you don't feel threatened by her, like yeah, you don't feel like there's a mean bone in her body. So you're like, okay that those are the types you don't see coming? Were you?
Speaker 3: And she sort of looked. There was this scene at the debutante party, I don't know what to call it, where she was real kind of cringey, nervous, and then someone brought her her drink and they were Brandon maybe came over and she's sort of relaxed. But I was like, are we supposed to like hmm, she was very you know, nervous or something.
Speaker 1: I didn't notice.
Speaker 3: It's right when she first gets there, and I was like, oh, what's she doing. I'm sort of ready for her to at any minute, like yeah, like the dark side is real buried, but it's coming.
Speaker 1: It's coming. You can tell it's coming.
Speaker 3: How do you all.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: How do you guys feel about the Jesse Andrea daycare baby dilemma?
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 1: Well. I mean I was thinking while I was watching it, like, well, this is what they get for, you know, getting pregnant and this is their life now. But I don't really as a especially if I were the age audience that was into our show, I would be like, why am I watching this? I don't care about these people and their baby, And.
Speaker 2: Right, that's all I met when I said I don't care. It's like I'm watching a teen show, Like at that point, that's not that stuff we think we deal with later. But I know it's a reality for teens. It happens, and obviously a good storyline. They were being topical and.
Speaker 1: It feels a little bit like a movie of the week messaging thing, like like a movie of the week where it's a teen pregnancy and you know how hard it is to be a teen mom.
Speaker 3: I'm much more into his bar stuff. I'm like, Okay, he's very charming at the bar. He sort of has the run in with Dylan. I'm definitely noticing all the pretty ladies in the bar. Those scenes then like, poor Gabriella is giving her nothing to do, I mean, just like hold the baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like it though, how her body didn't go right back to what it was before pregnancy looks natural. I think we kind of talked about that last week. But the bar thing for me is weird because my husband owns a bar and he often works in it and you know, has to hold down for it and be a bartender sometimes. So I was it always on my head? Is that what it's like?
Speaker 2: It's not, but for no reason, A little bit it's.
Speaker 3: Too close for comfort, triggering.
Speaker 1: But for no reason because at Dave's bar, it's mostly just guys drinking beer and watching sports exactly, don't do anything.
Speaker 3: I have so many more questions about this episode. Did we think that this was the debut of the itty bitty backpack trend?
Speaker 1: Well, who had an itty bitty backpack?
Speaker 2: That's fine to say, you guys say it aty bitty backpack, itty bitty backpack.
Speaker 3: It's fun, right, that was a cute I saw that and was like, is this because right time we all started wearing itty bitty backpacks like all around college, and so I'm like, was this the debut of the Little Black backpack.
Speaker 1: Hmm, I think so maybe maybe twice.
Speaker 3: Shoot, you were it at the bank and then you wore it again, the little Black backpack.
Speaker 1: I was sad that Dylan never came. He said he was going to come, and he never came. He told Donna he would be there.
Speaker 3: That's when we got the like nine shots of the pool table. It was like he was gonna come.
Speaker 2: Dream episode coming soon?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: He's just all drunk again. Still at the end. Can we talk about that scene?
Speaker 2: Do you know what I'm talking about? Amy?
Speaker 3: Wait? Say it again?
Speaker 2: Is the dream episode coming soon? That Dylan? I can't remember my dream episode? I can't remember what I do love though, And probably my favorite scene in this whole episode is the Dylan and Donna scene in the kitchen.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, it's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah you didn't like it? What's say it? Say?
Speaker 3: It's it?
Speaker 1: No, I was just remembering when I was watching it, I was thinking, Oh, they like each other, like, yeah, very kindred little relationship. He's Cyril and on the show, you know, like you guys are so close in real life?
Speaker 3: Yea, did you have that similar relationship with Luke? He's so loving toward you in any.
Speaker 1: Left sorry, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somewhere in a brotherly brother Yeah that hand to flirt. There's just enough.
Speaker 2: But that was lit Luke, Like you know, he was always looking out for me, always worried. He was that one that would step in and, you know, do something if something wasn't going right. But also at the same time, you would like call me Cammell because he said I had the most beautiful sexy like lashes, long lashes. So but it wasn't a threatening sexual thing. It was just always like, oh, it means you feel good about yourself, like.
Speaker 3: And you really did the same in that scene, and I thought that was so important, Like you're like, you know what, I feel bad for you. I know how painful this is. Like we want you just come back to us. You don't. You're not just a wallflower like taking his compliments. You really stood up too, And that's why I love the relationship. It's very equal.
Speaker 2: That is so weird you say that because as soon as you said that, you know, when things just go come back to you. We had that in real life because I mean, I'm still trying to find my voice in life. But back then it was really hard for me to speak out. Donna speaks out way more than toy me back then, and Luke I was able to like we would have like things in life that he would be very adamant about, and I would actually talk back to him and say step where other people I wouldn't. I wasn't comfortable.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. It's probably his nature to welcome that, do you know what I mean? Like he wasn't going to turn on you if you did that, which was exactly what I saw in the scene. You were able to say to each other the things that needed to be said, and him saying, Donna, you're not your mother, Like, I don't know, I just that scene is so good. It's so good. And he's very like David Silver, David Silver, and he's like that's one dude, and fourteen thousand people at the school, like you're good. I don't know. I just wo for me.
Speaker 1: I loved it, good big brotherly vibes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think he was probably giving me the same advice to the boyfriend I had it in real life business probably around the same time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, can I ask you guys about my random things? So Claire, we have the return of Claire and suddenly she's a sophomore.
Speaker 1: Oh convenient. Oh just like David. Though, just like David became a senior right with the group.
Speaker 3: Let people skip grades. Yeah. I also I had a red flag on the registering at the card tables because we didn't There was no internet at this point, but there was like technology, so we registered for classes. You had to use something called tell abear and you would have to call like a phone number, and then you would like enter in the classes you wanted. So I don't know if any schools were still at this time doing it like card table registration. I've never seen anything like that.
Speaker 2: We both went to college. On TV, you're asking a wrong to people. For all our listeners, Amy has a question.
Speaker 3: My favorite part is I love Kelly and Brandon are going to the registration and they're holding hands and they're walking up to some table. I don't know, maybe your psychology teacher. So then Kelly turns and immediately bumps into an extra you know in the scene that she fully knows just in the background, chummy chummy chummy with her, and then you even say call you later.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that was all ad libbed, because it's very very awkward when you're in a scene and they, you know, say go when you walk away so we can still see you on camera, what are you supposed to do? Like, I had to fill those moments with something and better to be. Of course, Kelly has other friends than Donna and you know Steve and the group, so I'm sure I was like, let's just fill this up a little bit because it's so weird.
Speaker 3: Not too background actor probably like pooped their pants, like and she stopped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was good at it too. I feel i'm we might have been friends.
Speaker 3: Who knows like she's I'm in, I'm in, and then you give her the call you later and she gives you like a glance like you got it, like because.
Speaker 2: They can't say anything out loud.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so good. I'm like, oh my god, that was the epic h There was a lot of like Beverly Hills, Like I noticed it's right where Will sure kind of gets towards the Beverly Hilton, that walking path right there. We saw a lot of that. Yeah, a lot of pool breaking that what is it called when you break the you know, the balls are all in their pie and then you you break them.
Speaker 2: Oh, game of pool.
Speaker 1: I was like, you break it, it's a break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But they did that like eight times. I'm like, okay, we get it. We're gonna see some pool.
Speaker 1: He really likes pool, you know.
Speaker 3: I to ask you guys, there's a gratuitous shot of the star Maps guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Was that a real Star Maps guy or was that a person actor?
Speaker 3: Exactly? And has the Star Maps ever gotten any of your houses? Correct? Okay?
Speaker 2: So growing up, we the manor that we moved into wasn' until I was, you know, sixteen, but we lived on it's called Mapleton. We lived on North Mapleton in the house that my whole life. And outside of that, it was a driveway across the street, that corner of Sunset and Mapleton. Growing up, there was a Star Maps lady. And I didn't know what it was. I just, you know, growing up, I didn't know the difference, so I thought it was someone that just lived there. It was like a van, and it was always there, and she was always out on her little, you know chair that you'd put like a beach chair, little foldable chair, and she would sit there with the Star Maps waiting for people to come by.
Speaker 3: And are they out of business now?
Speaker 2: She became famous, she was like pretty famous. She was like the Beverly Hills bel air.
Speaker 1: For a while, they were on every corner, I mean, and then they became that. Yeah, now it's more like tour. Those tour buses are still just running rampant all of her Hollywood, the like double decker with the chopped off thing, completely unsafe, with the people on top just getting fried by the sun.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it, And I love pulling.
Speaker 1: Up next to one of them because this happens all the time to me, pull up next to one of those Star Tours vans and just think, like if they only knew, like who the people are that are next to them most of the time in LA and they're looking everywhere else, but.
Speaker 3: They may ever look.
Speaker 2: But when they do look like the same Jen, I always wave because I was like, you know what, what if there it's that one day they're driving and they don't see anybody and they might not know who I am, but for the off shot they're like, hey, we were nine on two and O fans. I'm just always like hi.
Speaker 3: That makes me want to rint you guys, A red BMW so bad that you could just like drive around it? Did you guys see Ian went to the beach house.
Speaker 2: He saw that. I saw that on his Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think he wrote something funny too, like anyone home, like something cute. I was like, I love him.
Speaker 1: Wait, we didn't talk about when Dylan came to the charity event. On the table, that was my favorite part. He went colunk on the table is a.
Speaker 3: Love that scenems so much. It was aggressive.
Speaker 1: It was aggressive.
Speaker 3: You were being all whispery and dirty like brand and then making out and then incomes dirty Dylan just all mad with his beer so good.
Speaker 1: It was really good, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And that you're right the dirty booths on their on their beautiful black and white tablescape, which I loved. The chairs in that party were no good, but the stable stage was beautiful. I loved a black and white tablecloth striped beautiful.
Speaker 1: You know what's weird about this whole storyline too, is that Dylan's he's mad that his best friend is taking his girlfriend, but he took broke up best friends, you know what I mean, Like Brendan Kelly. Yeah, it's like there, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, the hypocrisy is alive and well. And I also noticed in that scene the city. The city view, I think was like a poster taped on a stage wall because there was no lights like twinkling, there was no movement, Like I literally think that was You did not film that in a actual hotel room, you know, ballroom. That was a poster because changed in that background.
Speaker 1: Probably true. Yeah, yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I just want to talk about the dip. The audience demands a dip. She's the epitome of feminine grace.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I could go on and on, Amy, you really love this episode. I'm going to guess you give it like a nine.
Speaker 3: So I think I'm giving it like a ten out of ten. What It's one of the highest marks I've had in the whole series. There's something about this episode and sort of the change that's happening, you know what.
Speaker 1: I love it that you love it that much, And I love it that everybody has a different opinion, you know, a different favorite episode or a different like meaningful moment from the show. That's so cool. Never would I have thought that this would be your ten. But okay, Jen, what do you give it?
Speaker 2: I mean, I give.
Speaker 1: It like a seven.
Speaker 3: How about you.
Speaker 2: Close your ears ear muffs? I know you're gonna go Hi, I'm gonna have to give it a nine and a half.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Tory, thank you, thank you for the support.
Speaker 2: I just am so And it's not just because Donna did the you know, the Texas what is it, the Texas, the dip, the Texas toast, Donna does wish you do, damn.
Speaker 1: It, Donna dips it. Donna dips it.
Speaker 2: It's because I just love all the characters in this episode. I love fashion, I love this. It's moon a little faster. I am fully in. I'm scared after episode one and now I'm in it to it.
Speaker 1: But you know what, it does compel me to watch the next one, like I do want to see what's going to happen, so that that deserves higher than a seven. J I'm I'm gonna go eight.
Speaker 3: I go eight, yeah, because it makes you want to keep And then.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go nine because you're right, Donald was so freaking cute in this episode through a little hair doing that dress.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give it nine, Jenny. I know we have to go, but like Brandon and Kelly are really good. They are so cute, They're really good. It's like I I'm just.
Speaker 2: In I'm feeling like stuff with Dylan and Kelly are coming, though.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: We really, you don't know. We will see next week.
Speaker 3: She had like a message board where I could join everybody and talk about this.
Speaker 2: Do we have a reddit?
Speaker 3: Can set that up, but I'll just do it on Instagram. I don't know how to reading on board.
Speaker 2: They have it for every nine.
Speaker 3: People. Too many people will say how much they hate me.
Speaker 2: On any stop that wasn't about you, Like it would be nice for the fans and for us to communicate on Reddit. Okay, sorry Jen?
Speaker 1: On that note, Yeah, next episode a clean slate.
Speaker 2: Jenn, He's like, thank god, a clean slate.
Speaker 1: Yes, episode three of season five, So do your homework. People watch it and we shall chat about it next week