Speaker 1: The skies opened here above Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The angels played their harps, the choirs began singing, and Paul Schemes was bequeathed to our city.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go.
Speaker 3: We've got Dayan kovid Chevitch joining us for the first time on the show. Hopefully I nailed the pronunciation, but he'll tell me in a moment, he writes for DK Pittsburgh Sports and Dan, great to have you on the show. First of all, we're very excited to dive into this article. You did an insane amount of homework on the finances of the Pirates. So how are you and do you feel like you're capable of running this team now?
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. A couple of things to say. First, hello to a couple of former buccos over there. You don't think we don't remember who it is that we cover over the years. And the other is I couldn't agree more strongly about Opening Day in Cincinnati. I actually tell the writers on my staff the only time you ever capitalize Opening Day, the O and the D is when you're in Cincinnati, because it's the only place where it's an actual holiday. It's an amazing scene going up through downtown Cincinnati into Fountain Square and all that stuff. Just beautiful. What it is that they do, kids get the day off school, that there's nothing like it. You guys are going to absolutely love it. I know I'm preaching the choir, especially with Todd there on that one since he left through it in many years. There's just nothing like it. Am I ready to run the team? No? I can tell you that we went into this process five months ago looking to try to figure out basically, you know, everybody's been accusing Bob Nutting and the ownership for years, myself included of you know, profiteering, of taking money and just you know, running off to the hills with it or in his case where his ski lifts are to the east of Pittsburgh. And so, you know, we go into it. We're digging, We're finding these numbers, and as of about a month ago, we start looking at him and going, wait a second, what's going on here? This doesn't add up at all, Like not that we were not finding major profit margins, we weren't finding any. And so finally, the way these things go is you go to the team. Last, you go to whoever it is that you're investigating last and we go to the pirates and like, you're losing money, aren't you? Well do dot Okay, so you're like, well, wait a second, no, you're losing money. We've heard that you've taken not one, not two, but three loans through MLB's m MO ability has as a kind of a credit union. You guys probably are aware of it. That came out of the COVID period and there's still some teams in it. The Braves just lost forty four million at least, you know, that's what they put on the paper, so the like are you in this? Are you do? And because I don't think they wanted, they were actually more embarrassed, if that's the right word for it, by having any law at all. Then they were, you know, when people were telling them that they were making a fifty sixty million dollar profit. So that was what we put out to everybody yesterday and to the fan base. I got to tell you, I'm surprised the reaction has been mostly oh really, gee, maybe we got to think about this all over again. So it's it's a it's been a strange forty eight hours in that regard. There's obviously some people that aren't going to believe it, because it's hard, especially in the current social climate, for anybody to ever admit that they're wrong about anything. But that's kind of what's happened here, and you know, how does it happen. There's a lot of specifics to that. There's a lot of intricate stuff, but i'll tell you what. The story's been out for forty eight hours and there is nobody. There's nobody down here at one fifteen Federal Street on the North Shore that's that's denying it or rejecting it. And they can't because they already confirmed it for us.
Speaker 4: You said the Braves lost mine? Did you mean the race just before we get on to the rest of the pirates, Because the Braves are a publicly traded company, and I thought it should.
Speaker 3: Got it forty mil profit for twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Forty Oh all right, then I have that backward in my head here. The other thing about the Braves. You're right, you're right, Eric, the publicly traded company. But what happens with the Braves is they also have you guys have been there. That whole battery park or whatever, everything that's around the stadium is all part of their books and part of everything else, so it gets kind of confusing with that stuff. But yeah, I saw I saw a set of brackets in a set of a minus.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, anyway, so let's let's get back to the pirates. Does this make them look inept? Does this make them look like they can't run a team like because they lost a few million dollars? Or are they because it'll kind of get to my next question after after you answer this one.
Speaker 1: Well, it does. I think this is just me now in this sense that here's how I see this. The Skies opened here above Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The angels played their harps, the choirs began singing, and Paul Skeens was bequeathed to our city.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I don't think they did anything right to get skiings. I think thirty out of thirty general managers draft schemes, and you can't make money, Like you can't build up your season ticket base, you can't get your ballpark even to sell out when Skimes is pitching. Look over the individual numbers for their attendance figures in twenty twenty four. Sorry, we heard from people who were coming to Pittsburgh from other cities from sometimes from Canada, just to see him pitch. This should be treated here in our city like a rock concert when he pitches. Now, I know it's not the same because you can't set the date automatically and everything, you know, because you don't know exactly when it's going to be his turn. But people were buying two three games and you can't sell this out. There's such distrust between you and the public that you can't build up revenues. And Eric, that was the main point that we were making in this and that I made near the end of the piece, which is you have to build that up. You have to build up that positivity between you and your community, something Clint Hurdle used to refer to as rebonding with the city that the pirates need to do. There's no trust. There's no trust here the way there is with the Steelers and the Penguins. There's no trust here between the public and the pirates, and yet they have schemes. They have to figure this out. They have to start being honest with people. It can't be me going in and banging down their door to find out what's going on.
Speaker 3: Ft fam Arena Club is the modern way to collect cards or buy or sell, or or even grade. And we're highlighting slab packs because this is the new way to rip open a pack and get a really good card. Aj But also if you're not into the card, like I know you pulled a Bob Gibson card recently, you can get an offer of ninety percent of the estimated value and just accept it on the spot and give it right back and maybe try again with another slab pack.
Speaker 5: I ain't getting rid of my Bob Gibson autographed card. Bob Gibson ain't card signing cards anytime soon, so I'm keeping this one. It gets graded for you. There's no mess. The only thing I wish they had bubblegum. Can they virtually send me some bubble gumps cut? Other than that, it's awesome. You can buy sell cards, they grate them instantly for you, and physically you can also get the cards if you want them. So I'm all for this.
Speaker 1: This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those cards are in your showroom in the app, and then of course you can get the card physically sent to you. So right now you can get twenty percent off your first slab pack or card purchase by going to Arena club dot com slash foul. That's Arena club dot com slash foul code foul for twenty percent off your first purchase.
Speaker 6: Well, it's funny all this is coming out, like you think just the regular fans like, oh, that every team's got to be making money, Like what you know, they're making profit this team, even the worst teams are making profit. Now, my question to you is they're so in the red like Bob Nutting, Like, why wouldn't he try and sell the team if they're not making any money?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: That's actually, you know what's funny, Todd. That's actually been the most common question that we've gotten after this, which has surprised me a little bit because I didn't necessarily see the link. I could get technical and I could say something like, listen, when you buy a team, I'm sorry. When a team is bought, one of the things that happens invariably is that whoever buys it buys up all your debt, so you don't really sweat it much. You know, the Celtics sold yesterday for was it six point one billion? Yeah, I guarantee you guarantee you the Celtics aren't walking away with any debt, meaning the people who sold the team. Okay, So on one hand, you don't sweat it much. On the other hand, I'm going to share something here here with you guys. It's more about Bob Bob nutting than it is about the Pirates themselves. He wants to see baseball move toward a salary cap system, okay. He wants to see a system that's similar to what the Steelers and the Penguins enjoy in their leagues in the NFL and the NHL, which are both tight cap systems and full revenue sharing. And by the way, people hear the word salary cap and they get it wrong all the time. A salary cap system has a ceiling as a floor. It's automatic, you never have to say it. It also comes with a greatly expanded revenue sharing so that everybody can afford to be in that range whatever it is, it's usually around twenty or thirty million, is pretty tight. He wants that, he sees the future, especially if that happens as being really bright. So Todd, He's got no interest in getting out of that now when it might just get good. You know what, I'm saying, Also, the debt that we're talking about here, by every accounting that we had in and what they came back with is not something that's super serious. Is not where you go, Oh no, I got to get rid of this, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely follow what you're saying, and I'm gonna come from a player's point of view. You buy a sports team to win championships. You buy a sports team to sell your stinking newspapers, which he's run other newspaper companies into the ground. So if he's profitably losing money for this team, it's pretty much on point from where he's been. And yet somehow Bob Nutting continues to grow out of these companies that he quote unquote I read an article runs into the ground or gets rid of. But he knows the profitable side of this. So to me, you buy a sports team, how are you like You're not buying it solely for a monetary gain, You're buying it for the victories in the city. And then all of a sudden, all of Pittsburgh wants to go to Seven Springs on vacation. Because that's the pirates connection, which you had mentioned before. About his ski slope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can tell you've been up there.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And.
Speaker 4: He's very generous to his players to be able to go there for a weekend on the All Star break.
Speaker 2: And anyway, that's a whole nother story of excitement.
Speaker 1: That's actually a good one. You need to tell it on the show someday. I'm aware of that one when you're talking about what it is that he's looking at from that standpoint. The number one criticism that I've had of him, and you guys should know that, I did an article last a column really last October, that called for him to sell the team, just publicly. Just get out of here, go away. Okay. The Pirates, the Pittsburgh Baseball club, the franchise of Roberto Clemente, Willie Stargel, and Hanness Wagner, would be better off without you as the owner. This is one hundred and forty forty years now. We were talking about the Reds and their tradition. Pirates aren't far from that, Okay, one hundred and forty fourth opener next Thursday in Miami for the Pirates. This is a civic institution around here. This isn't some expansion club. And to have a steward who does do exactly what you just said there, Eric, He prioritizes something other than winning. He prioritizes excessive caution. He is risk averse to the extreme. And when you're linking it to his other businesses that you just did, that's the commonality. It's not that they lose money, it's not that they profiteer or anything like that. It's that he's just afraid of his own shadow. And when you have I'm going to say this again, you sign, which they did to their credit. Brian Reynolds got a big contract. Okay, Mitch Keller got a big contract. Brian Hayes, if he can ever keep that back healthy at third base, he also got a big contract. These guys were all retained. These are young pieces that you want to see teams like the Pirates retaining. They did that right. Okay, here comes Skeens and you know what he does. He messes up the whole vibe. He just does schemes, puts them in a position where they go, oh, geez, this is different. What do we do with this one? Well, I'm not even talking about signing him. They own his rights for six years, you know that.
Speaker 2: Or five.
Speaker 1: Actually, with the way the arbitration thing goes now, it's that he forces them to think differently. Every year that Schemes is here is a year that you should be pursuing everything. Okay, because you have him here at this crazy bargain rate. Think about what he's going to make on the open market, right, and you should be putting everything that you have into this. He won't. He will spend what he seas in front of him. He won't spend further.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's the thing to win in this game. You need to invest in your product that has not been done for such a long time. And as I always like to say, it's a smack in the face to your fans. They're not expecting you to do this every single year. But when you tank for a long period of time and you don't reinvest at that time, you are going to pay the price financially. That's the thing that I always find so stupid. You think you're just going to wake up and the money's going to come through. I know you put it in your article how the Phillies are making so much more money at their ballpark than the Pirates. Is their ballpark triple the size of Pittsburgh. Will Pittsburgh not support the team like that? I know it's a different market size, but my point is if the Pirates had a powerhouse, would they not be making much more money from the gate concessions? Jersey sales go down the line. The other thing I just wanted to point out is, and I loved your homework, I read every morsel of it, right, I do know there are also little bonuses that come through every once in a while, like the sale of BAM, which got each owner about fifty million dollars. Was that reinvested into the team at the time. No, they could have put that in the bank and freaking had an extra ten million dollars a year to spend if they had their losses Here The risk averse part is what's holding this team back. They haven't rebuilt, you know, an instant like Orioles type of playoff contender either in a division that's not great. So my point is, again, how come they feel like they can operate like this and just wake up and it's all going to be better? Are they waiting for a CBA to change? Because I read your story and for me, I didn't feel any differently at the end, I felt like, cool, this validates everything for me. If you came out and said, oh, they're losing fifty million bucks, I would have been like, whoa, whoa. I got to go back and call my sources and do my homework again. I'm like, they're basically breaking even from the stuff that we know.
Speaker 1: The one thing that I think both Todd and Eric I'm confident can speak to. And Todd wasn't here for very long, but he played at PNC Park. He played at P and C Park as an opponent as well. And when you see what the Pirates did in twenty thirteen to twenty fifteen in their playoff years. So if you remember the unbelievable game that we still call the blackout because Andrew McCutcheon wanted everybody to wear black against the Reds, You'll be hard pressed to mention any baseball scene anywhere in North America over the last twenty years that would top that event. Okay, it was a generational thing. You had children bringing their grandfathers who'd never seen the Pirates win. Okay, I'm gonna say this again. This is one hundred and forty four years the Pirates course through this city's veins.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's no.
Speaker 1: Amount of losing even forty years of this now that stops that. Neil Huntington, to the former GM once said to me, he said, this just feels the whole thing feels like this big sleeping giant here. And so there's no doubt that in one of the smallest ballparks in America that you will see absolute maximizing. But they haven't made that happen. Bob Nutting hasn't made that happen. But there's a disconnect, a divide in trust, and there's there's people that just openly brag about how long they've been boycotting the pirates. That's a common thing here. Oh yeah, well I'm in my seventh year. Oh yeah, i've been. I haven't been there since you know, Brian Giles hit that home run against Billy Wagner twenty five years ago. And it's like that, that's how these conversations go. That has to change, and the only person who's empowered to do that is Nutting. But I'll ask you guys back, and I actually don't have this answer. So this isn't rhetorical. How does he do that? Because one of the things about him is that he's under capitalized. Do you guys talk about what he owns and you talk about newspapers. This isn't exactly the rising stock in the business world. Okay, where does he get that money from? Does he go and take more loans? Does he say, you know, heck with it, We're just going to go into you know, all kinds of crazy debt. Or does he do what his actual approaches, and that is he opens up a restaurant and he says, hey, my food kind of sucks right now, but if you come and eat here, oh man, we're gonna get the best chef. Okay, you guys just have to come and eat here and eat our crappy food more often.
Speaker 2: No, that, well, that's not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you the only way that Bob Nutting brings a championship with his with his mindset, it would have to be a complete, life changing, life altering mindset. The only way he brings a championship to Pittsburgh or a consistent winning team selling s E L LL sell.
Speaker 1: It has to be winning. And there's it goes even beyond that. It can go into baseball stuff too, which is you have to have a sense of accountability. You have a management team here right now that has done some really awful things, okay with a major league roster with the drafts. Other than the guys that have been you know, the ones coming through the clouds, you're not you're not seeing the results that you need to see. They fired their Latin American scouting director after seven years of absolutely nothing from that part of the world. This is stuff that people never talk about, but this is stuff that you know, you guys mentioned some of the better teams that that that get results, that don't have as much revenues. Where do they get in that talent from. Look at what happened in Cleveland. Cleveland's no different than Pittsburgh. I think we can agree on that. In a market, Yeah, stadium, whole thing right there.
Speaker 3: Now, that's we asked him about it about a month ago. We're like, what I saw it?
Speaker 2: Terrific.
Speaker 1: It was a terrific show. Yeah, Neil, Neil let it all out, which is not very Neil like I saw it. And for you know, when you look at Cleveland and you look at the guys they're bringing up one after another, you know, Latin American guy you know here comes a Dominican here comes to Venezuelan. You look at the Pirates lineup. You know how many guys they've had come out out of the Latin America. They've made an impact in the last ten years. I'll give you a hint. He's still playing and he's really good. Start Martine, Well, where's from? Cruise came from the Dodger system. Oh right, I'm talking about guys they got. They traded out Tony Watson to LA for him. Uh, Starling came. I actually met him as an eighteen year old down there. I went down there to do a story because wow, look at this kid. You can tell right away you know the whole athletic build and everything. Right, that's it. In ten years, I'd say again the franchise of Clemente. You can't walk around anywhere in Latin America without seeing Pirates hats.
Speaker 2: You guys know that, am I right? Damn?
Speaker 4: I can't, like we can keep you on for three hours here because there's so much being in the organization and also being part of players union that I saw.
Speaker 2: You're talking about, not not building.
Speaker 4: Up the d R like they put of that bad money, of that of that they put this huge, beautiful campus down there, so they could build Dominican Republic system that would just pump out craters and they get zero players out of it.
Speaker 1: That's not an exaggeration. Zero players from there. The one actually the one who's in the majors right now other than Marte, I should be respectful. Here is Luis Ortiz, who they just he's now in Cleveland. It's part of that.
Speaker 2: They just shipped them Outland Cland this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because Cleveland, because Cleveland oneted a one of a starting pitcher, which they've been elite with producing starting pitching, and so they're like, oh, well here's one from the pirates organization that we could just poach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is your point. Dan, we gotta jump because we're keeping Kenny ballgame. Rosenthal waiting to but this was awesome. Really appreciate this. And also to the point too, is for everyone that's watching and listening right now, you can get the article. You're not paying anything for it. Go online and check out this article and give it a good read. But the last point, we're not asking them to be the Dodgers. We're asking them to be the guardians. But that's what we're really learning here too, is it's not impossible to do this, and even the Guardians, you can definitely pick up things there too. But the fact that you know the Guardians, we say, hey, they should push chips in a little more when they're here. Alc us here, pirates, we're still we're still in the Stone Age when we're talking about what's happening. So Dan, thank you so much for joining us. We'll definitely have you back this season too. Okay, this was great.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, good to see you about the old buckos over there. Good to see you