Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News. Governor, thank you so much for speaking to Bloomberg. Now we saw one more rates that are moved to the hock side today, the Deputy Governor joining those talking about possible cuts if the war ends. Is the committee more divided than it was before?
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't say that. I think what I would say is that we're living in a world of huge uncertainty. I mean we've seen this obviously since we sort of lasted the conference three months ago. Huge uncertainty around energy prices, huge uncertainty of you know, from day to day is to wear events in the golf are heading to And I think what you're seeing in terms of the the vis on the committee and the uncertainty around the views on the committee is just that really and that's natural.
Speaker 1: But our reading of the minutes is that five would have cut were there no Middle Eastern war. Is that fair?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I think that's right because I think I said a number of times before the conflict broke out that I thought it was reasonable to think that they probably would be wanted to cut this year. And by the way, you know, looking at the inflation numbers, we've had subsequently, which obviously are a certain sense, well, at least in the initial phase. We're looking backwards. I think that they bore out that conclusion.
Speaker 1: Actually, so, how does it change actually what you're expecting from now until the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Well, look, there are two things I think that shape my thinking. Certainly. One is, obviously is the one that shrouded in so much uncertainty, is so where are these events in the Gulf going to go to? And then the second question is, for any sort of given set of events, you know, how are they going to feature into domestic inflation. Now we start in a position where it's coming lower than we thought it would. We're below where we thought we would be if you go back to April. But you can't take too strong a message from that in terms of second round effects going forwards, because frankly, this is a very unprecedented situation.
Speaker 1: Gunnor if you look at market bets, they reduced bets on a high in September, we're now around thirty three percent. Are you content with that?
Speaker 2: I think, Look, I think the market pricing is sort.
Speaker 3: Of sensible, so there is so that's where you would well, I'd say that is because when we survey the market, what the market tells us is that the sort of, if you like, their central expectation is for no change.
Speaker 2: But then they say, yeah, but there's a risk on the upside, and you can see that built into the market pricing. And you know, I think that, as I said in the press conference, I think that fits with the fact that we've got three scenarios. We've got less probability attached to any one of them, frankly than we probably normally would. But the yeah, but the adverse scenario is further away from the center than the lower scenario, and the adverse scenario basically, as a scenario, it says if this, yeah, if this breakdown of the cease fire continues as a permanent thing, then we're going to have higher energy prices and that will have an effect.
Speaker 1: But Governor, we've also seen some new language, right, so the six members who held rates said the policy strategy could change if upside risk inflation would subside. So can you tell us a little bit more about that.
Speaker 2: Yes, So, I think if however, we were in a position which we were when we started the meetings for this round, where the memorandum of understanding and the cease far was holding, and we had a crude or price I think briefly down to somewhere not much above seventy dollars a barrel. It's a bit higher than it was before the conflict, but not a lot higher.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think we're looking at a different situation now. Sadly, of course that hasn't held.
Speaker 1: But that's what very unpredictable at the moment or what are you expecting? So it could flip? And what happens if it flipped from one to the other.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think the two there's two things going on. So if we got into a situation where the cease far is in place again, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that when they come down as much, we'll see but they come down again. But then the problem we've got is the sheer unpredictability of this, because it's what we've learned again in the last week, two weeks, three weeks.
Speaker 1: Going to your Central projection shows unemployment peaking around five point five percent in twenty twenty seven, a right that we hadn't seen since twenty fifteen. Week labor market is helping, of course, to contain these second round inflation, but at what point does it cast in terms of jobs.
Speaker 2: Well, I think we are seeing softness in the labor market. We are seeing something of an output gap opening up, and that is reflected in the labor market. So I think it's exactly consistent with what you say is in the projections. Obviously, we don't want to see that happening. And one of the things I would say is that we don't have a dual mandate, and you know, I like our mandate. What our mandate has in it, though, is what we call trade off language, which is okay, we've had this, We've had another negative supply shock, push its prices up, activity down. Our job is to return inflation to target. But that language, that trade off language, gives us some flexibility. Is over what period we return it to. We obviously have to look like carefully things like inflation expectations. But it is in our mandate and we you know, I think we must use that where we think it's appropriate to.
Speaker 1: You've met with a new chancellor. Do you think your mandate could change under this Prime Minister.
Speaker 2: I've had no discussions on that at all, So I don't think that's anything that we should speculates about and have not had that discussion.
Speaker 1: I know you don't like talking about fiscal policy, but what does the uncertainty of the budget in autumn mean for for the next couple.
Speaker 2: I don't honestly, I don't go into this autumn in a different position than I normally do. Or I know there's going to be a budget towards the end of the autumn, because that's the way the UK cycle works, and so we condition our marjority policy decisions on announced fiscal policy. We'll do the same again.
Speaker 1: Given do you think the recent data suggests that the labor market is actually bottoming out?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't particularly draw that conclusion. I think we're seeing a slow softening of the labor market. We're seeing a slow disinflation in underlying inflation. I think when I talk to films, we've got this one. Was it called sort of you know low by a low fire economy going on in the UK is not alone and that's by any means. You know, this is a this is a market where it's sort of turnovers dropping. I think it's therefore, and you see a bit of this is a bit of the you fund employment story that's really I think hard for people trying to get into the labor market, there's low low high low fire market is really hard if you haven't got a job when you're trying to get into the market.
Speaker 1: Is that AI related?
Speaker 2: So I think there's a lot more to this story than AI. I think when our agents talk around, Yes, I think we're beginning to see a few signs of that in certain pockets of the economy, of people looking to you to save labor. But it's pretty early stages.
Speaker 1: I think, Governor. Going back to the markets, I mean German tenure bunds have fared better than guilds. Would it be fair to say that the market seemed to be actually punishing guilds for the lack of inflation discipline here.
Speaker 2: Look, I think there's probably many parts of that story. The UK is a highly open economy. Your area is less open. I think there's there's many parts to that story. So I don't think inflation may may or may not be one of them, but it's certainly not the only one.
Speaker 1: Governor, Thank you for your time there.
Speaker 2: You're welcome