Speaker 1: Second date update. If you thought we were in the middle of another hot girl summer, you'd be wrong.
Speaker 2: Oh no, what happens.
Speaker 1: This season is officially boy Sober Summer. If you don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's not about that, you.
Speaker 1: Don't know what that is. It's gaining traction online right now as single women across the country are trying out this new trend abstaining from any romantic relationship with men whatsoever for the next few months. We're talking no hookups, no situationships, no getting back with the exes. That doesn't count.
Speaker 2: Either them's open doesn't count.
Speaker 1: Doesn't One of our listeners, Emma, swore she was gonna do this and that lasted for all of six days.
Speaker 3: Oh you're so pretty good.
Speaker 4: I saw it.
Speaker 1: I welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Hey guys, what happened?
Speaker 2: You were so strong?
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, I like four off online dating. I was like, over it, it's too much work. And then a few days later I like saw this cool trend and I was like, Okay, I want.
Speaker 1: To try that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and then using that trend like that's how I found the guy. A few months later that were like calling today, That's how.
Speaker 1: I what was this online trend that you tried that turned everything around.
Speaker 3: It was called man of the Month.
Speaker 2: Man of the Month. What does that mean? Is it a calendar?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 6: Well, okay, so like you get twelve friends and you have them basically set you up on one date a month.
Speaker 3: For the year. Oh you exactly, Like one friend gets their shot to be like exactly.
Speaker 4: I can tell what your algorithm is on social media because you were doing all the trends.
Speaker 5: Oh you know basically.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I hadn't heard this one, but it sounds like this is kind of rough because it requires that you have at least twelve friends.
Speaker 3: So I'm I know some people are less fortunate in that area.
Speaker 5: You can shorten it.
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, double, I don't know. I figure like this just feels way better. Like my friends know me, you know, they know you know, they know what I'm into it, they know all my red flags so they can avoid them.
Speaker 1: It's so funny.
Speaker 7: I literally had her friend recently that was like, dude, you would be so into this girl.
Speaker 1: She's just a little too put together for you, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get it, but out.
Speaker 1: And I guess it's true because you have like friends that are always wanting to say like oh, yeah, no, I want to set you up with someone, and then it never actually happens.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and like almost feels like now I'm putting the burden on you, like you keep bringing up, Oh I've got this guy, what about this one? Okay, well, here's your chance to your homework.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of pressure. I hope they're still.
Speaker 3: Or the opposite, like, I hope it works.
Speaker 2: Was the very first month successful?
Speaker 3: Okay? So the so the first month wasn't.
Speaker 7: Successful, okay, okay, but this month, Yeah, one of my friends has a coworker, Lawrence, and yeah, like she showed me a picture and everything super cute.
Speaker 3: I was like, okay, oh exactly, I'm already excited, and so we agree to meet up. We met up for drinks, and honestly, like moment one, it was already better than any online really anything. Yeah, like he's all dressed nice, like he was very cute looking, and like he brought me a little thing of flowers.
Speaker 2: He put effort in.
Speaker 1: Yeah I kind of try hard, but yeah.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Are you texting your friend during the date, Like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Okay, so normally I would, but I really tried. I tried to be good.
Speaker 2: Oh I would you usually do a quick snapchat?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a quick not in front of the guy though, Yeah, all right, good right right, you know, all right, that's well good. He made a great first impression on you. How did the rest of the night go?
Speaker 3: I thought it was great. We had a great conversation. I feel like we had a lot in common. And there was even like this like awkward, funny moment that happened where I was Okay, So I admittedly I was wearing a very cute dress, but it was a little on the cheap side, admittedly, And I got up to go to the bathroom and my like strap got caught. Yeah, oh god, Like where where did it rip on?
Speaker 6: The strap?
Speaker 3: You're saying, yeah, like the strap ripped. It was fine, Like the dress was tight enough that it didn't. Nothing came out right right, right, But what happened was he ended up like giving me his jacket so that I, you know, wouldn't feel too uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: Like it all sounds so great. I don't understand why you'd be on the phone with us.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well, the problem would probably be that he's not.
Speaker 2: Calling her back tell her what's going on?
Speaker 3: I know, so, like, yeah, it's super weird because the rest of the night, like nothing crazy happened, Like he waited for me, like for my uber, like gave me a kiss on the cheek and everything. Yeah, and then I just I just stopped hearing from like I never heard anything.
Speaker 2: Else at all after the date.
Speaker 3: No, and like she was trying to get a feel for what was going on, and he's just not budging, like he's not telling her anything.
Speaker 5: So I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Did you tell him about that you're the second man of the month and there are there's eleven other men of the month that I need to.
Speaker 2: Make me only ten because she'd done one before.
Speaker 1: Oh well yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, I figured maybe wait, you know, that might might scare somebody away, the other guys, but they don't know. You don't set up early.
Speaker 1: You might have to go back to boy sober summer. Then if that doesn't work, we're going to try and help you out though with this guy, Lawrence will come back, give him a call and try and get you your second date update. Right after this second date update, we've got a listener named Emma on the phone who just taught us about a new dating hack for women who are tired of the online stuff. It's called Man of the Month, where you have twelve of your friends set you up on a date each month of the year, and every friend gets assigned a specific month. That way, instead of them just telling you, oh, I really want to set you up and then they never actually do it, now they have a deadline. It's like a sexy homework assignment.
Speaker 2: October I saw you turning to me, and I even takes the entire next five years ago.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe you can set brook up up on a dated and alexis that.
Speaker 5: I can help?
Speaker 2: What's your how young you are?
Speaker 7: You okay with.
Speaker 1: The thing is? That's how our listener Emma got set up with a guy named Lawrence. They went out and had drinks together and it went so well her clothes were literally taking themselves off.
Speaker 2: They were jumping right off of her body.
Speaker 1: It was an accident, I think, so maybe an accident, maybe fade. But afterwards he's been totally quiet and the friend who set her up doesn't know what's going on either. That's why she's turned us for him.
Speaker 4: And it was a romantic moment, right like, your dress broke and he helped you out.
Speaker 2: That was awesome.
Speaker 5: Gave your jacket. Jacket was very, very cute.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a real gentleman. We'll see how gentlemanly he is when we actually get him on the phone.
Speaker 2: Sound doubtful, he's her, that's not super gentleman.
Speaker 5: I really I really want this guy.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do like these other monks. Like I'm hoping this guy is it kind is so cute.
Speaker 5: To hear you don't even want to do this game?
Speaker 7: You like him that much?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Because there are ten other men of the month that she has left to me. But if this goes well enough, we can cancel on them.
Speaker 4: I could do September for you.
Speaker 1: She's desperate to pawn off all of her old single friends.
Speaker 2: Why do you have so many?
Speaker 1: What's the most put together? Look at the marriage. Well, let's focus on Lawrence for now. I'm gonna dial I'm here, here we go. Hello, Hey, we're looking at a talk with Lawrence.
Speaker 5: Speaking.
Speaker 1: Hey Lawrence, we're a radio show. We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning. What sorry this I know it's confusing, but we're a show on the radio. We do this segment called what's.
Speaker 8: It called second Update I've done Sorry, Yeah, we're called it's a second Date update, and we're trying to help one of our listeners that you actually went out with the other night to get drinks with named Emma.
Speaker 2: I mean, you guys were set up by a mutual friend. I think your coworker set you up.
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, yeah, I know, Emma. It was a little it was a little weird. How much do you guys know about all this?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean enough, Yeah, we know that you guys went out to drinks and she said she had a great time. You brought her flowers, she was so sweet. You gave her your jacket when her dress had a little wardrobe malfunction. Is all that, right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the general gist of how things went, But it was really confusing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that's why we're calling you because she's also confused and doesn't know if something went wrong in between. It's just you're not calling her afterwards.
Speaker 2: Do you think that she doesn't like you?
Speaker 5: It's all right, So we kind of give you some something from my perspective here. So I've got this coworker. Her name is Ali and one day out of the blue, she came up to me and she said that she had the perfect person for me. Okay, but this woman is a business professional, she's super cute. She thinks that I'm cute too. Now I'm thinking, in the back of my head, is this Ali's way of asking me out on a date?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh, you thought your coworker was talking about herself and like a like shee.
Speaker 1: That toy waved it somebody like like somebody you know very well? Right, oh god, exactly.
Speaker 5: And look, she never really said that it was a setup or anything.
Speaker 2: What she didn't show you a picture of Emma or anything.
Speaker 1: No, because he doesn't care about women's looks. He's not that type of guy.
Speaker 2: Everybody cares about it. Sure, before you go out on a bland.
Speaker 1: Day, maybe shall remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, unless you think that the person you're dating is the person standing in front of you, Lawrence.
Speaker 1: You date for personality, right, yeah, always always. So you thought at that point your coworker was saying that it was her.
Speaker 5: That's what I was thinking, because like, low key, for the long time I've had a crush on Ali. Maybe this was like her reciprocating it.
Speaker 4: So you thought the flowers you got you were actually bringing to Ali.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like, I was just told to go to this bar at seven, and in my head, I'm thinking, like this could be it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is so what happened when Emma showed up.
Speaker 5: Well, okay, so I get there and this random girl comes up to me and she's like, Hi, are you Lawrence? And she was like really super sweet, and I'm like, yeah, do I know you from somewhere? And it's like she's my date?
Speaker 4: Icebreaker questions, But she said it was good right off the bat.
Speaker 2: In your head you're like, oh she did.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, good on you for like sticking out the night.
Speaker 5: I mean, don't get me wrong. For what it was, it was still a good date. Okay, I had a crush on Allie and that's really.
Speaker 2: That is not going to be good.
Speaker 4: And obviously Ali doesn't know that because she would never set you up with Emma exactly.
Speaker 5: And it was just this a whole weird awkward thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, it's gonna get really Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to tell you the awkwardness might go up a notch because actually we have Emma on the phone listening to this.
Speaker 5: God oh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it did not your fault.
Speaker 2: Not your fault.
Speaker 5: Like I do want to come out and say, like I did have a really good time with you and it was a lot of fun, and but it just that's not what I had in mind.
Speaker 3: Is there?
Speaker 5: And this is gonna sound like super callous with everything else going on, but is there any way that we can we can slip this around a little bit, like can we reversus a little bit?
Speaker 2: You're coming off. She hasn't even processed any of this, dude, chill.
Speaker 3: Right now, Emma, Wow, I don't even know what is happening.
Speaker 2: Are you okay?
Speaker 3: It's neither of our faults. And I think I would have been able to get over that if he didn't ask me to ask my blend like, oh my god, let it like.
Speaker 5: It's settled for a minute. Wow, thing, I promise, like under I mean, under different circumstances, if Valley wasn't involved, I mean, something could have potentially happened. But like, like we've we've had this great relationship at work, and really I just thought that this was like she's kind of shy sometimes and I just thought this was her way of picking up on me and.
Speaker 7: Person Yeah.
Speaker 5: Wow, okay, suck. Yeah, I'll be fine.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is your friend Ali's fault because she never said specifically that she was setting him up with a different woman.
Speaker 3: I mean I think she probably was not, assuming that Lauren thought it that her.
Speaker 2: You don't you and Ali need to go get drinks. You need to write up the scripts for your friends in the next two months.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't worry about her. She's got ten dudes lined up the rest of the year, so she's gonna be fine.
Speaker 3: Lore, Yeah, I mean I really am going to be fine.
Speaker 1: But oh my god, but.
Speaker 5: Really, really though, I mean, if you do have a chance to have drinks with Ali, maybe.
Speaker 2: You liked Ali so much, why didn't you just ever ask her out, Lawrence?
Speaker 5: I mean, she's engaged, so I just thought this was her.
Speaker 2: Phone.
Speaker 7: She's not.
Speaker 2: She's not married to make him jealous. Oh my god, are you back to Sober Boys summer yet?
Speaker 3: I think so, because I.
Speaker 2: Oh no, Okay, is this count is rock bottom.
Speaker 7: For him?
Speaker 1: Well, we can't know for sure until we offer to send you guys out on a date. Now, it could come along as the third wheel.
Speaker 5: I mean I'd be okay with like double dating and Ally's there.
Speaker 1: It's a big difference.
Speaker 5: Not a full ring on the finger yet you know it was a ring on the finger.
Speaker 2: It's just not he doesn't have the wedding band.
Speaker 1: I mean, Lawrence is up for anything as long as Alley's there, am I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm good. He's clearly only into engaged women.
Speaker 1: Maybe you could take Lawrence as your date to Ali's wedding. Oh my god, you would love to be your plus one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody's gonna stand up and interrupt the ceremony.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying that I wouldn't, but I probably would.
Speaker 1: Jeffrey in the morning. You know that made me think, why are we not doing more second date updates with engaged people?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: I think there's a one word clue there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I just think it would open up a whole new level of drama that we haven't been able to tap into.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe lawsuits.
Speaker 1: That's not our problem. So yeah, I'm not happy with our producer. He's not getting enough engaged people who are looking to stray. So he's fired again from the show. But again we'll welcome back eventually. But yeah, that was a wild one. So make sure if you're setting somebody up on a date that you explicitly say it's a setup and it's not with yourself.
Speaker 4: You would think that people would assume it's not with you when you are wearing an agagement ring, like it feels like you wouldn't have to say that, but the knowledge.
Speaker 2: Of I yah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But a lot of men think that a women just giving them attention is enough. Yeah, So make sure you make that clear and also make sure you follow us at Brook and Jeffrey wherever you get your podcasts, Apple, Spotify, whatever it is. We'll see you there. Yeah, it's Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.