Speaker 1: From iHeartRadio and Doghouse Pictures. This is Fight Night. I'm Jeff Keating and.
Speaker 2: I'm Kenny Burns. We're back, Episode two.
Speaker 1: Round two. I got.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about when we first met in person, because I will never forget this and how you This is how I knew I may have a new friend, a new advocate, a new So do you remember where you met me?
Speaker 1: Because I do done a lot of drugs. Okay, well.
Speaker 2: I'm joking with the drugs alcohol, yes, but please tell us.
Speaker 3: All right, so at some point we're hooked up and we've got a chance to pitch universal l Oh my goodness at the studio. Okay, don't forget. This is Will Packer's home, you know. So you walk in and you know you can see some of his movies. Everybody's waiting for Will. I'm waiting to see you. And you walk in again with this fucking energy. I mean, I'll never im It's just the smile, like it is Fight Night energy, and again you're like you embrace me.
Speaker 1: It was like welcoming from.
Speaker 3: The door, and I was said, God, who the fuck is Like I want to just walk as you know, follow this guy in. So but it's you me, Lars Will? Uh was James Lopez thy.
Speaker 2: Lars giving me my money? Yeah, that's going to be happening. I don't know if James is that don't remember.
Speaker 3: Well, definitely the four of us. I want to say James money, but the four of us. So now this was a mistake and I'll and and again it's part of just the learning. Yeah, you know, but but Lars did the first of all, I should have been.
Speaker 1: A part of that pitch. Now you should have let I should that.
Speaker 3: And the way that he did it, which is probably just the way reps do it, is he's basically just reading and just giving a play by instead of and so at some point and I'll never forget, Will chimes in and basically starts to give more of the flavor, just like forget about the you know, and the turns and the acts and whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like because it's hard listen.
Speaker 2: And Lars was going off with the script that he wanted to.
Speaker 3: Say, and what the and that's fine, but that's there was no no, no.
Speaker 2: And to be honest, that's why when you asked me to host fight and I was like, are you stupid?
Speaker 1: They should have let me talked the whole I would have sold it.
Speaker 2: But if you'd have just talked about the first time that JD and Chicken amendment. But I mean continue, because we did end up coming.
Speaker 3: Well Will Will Will jumps in smartly at some point, and then at the end they start asking me questions and I started, so you can start to see like them a little bit get excited.
Speaker 1: But we should have had him from the get go.
Speaker 3: So again, the way that we just organized that pitch was just too sterile is probably the best word. And again we should have just like, dude, you were the pop culture of the life, so like there was certain energies and things that needed to be pushed.
Speaker 1: And now you see it like I can't say.
Speaker 2: When Will was speaking, I came through with a little even.
Speaker 3: I remember, but I'm just saying that there's something about Lars couldn't capture Atlanta and we needed to be able to get that early on and stuff and so whatever.
Speaker 1: At some point we did.
Speaker 3: But but that was that was But I got to meet you, and so then it's this like, so now you again, we don't even have a deal with Universal.
Speaker 1: That's just a pitchy So over the.
Speaker 3: Next eighteen I mean it was a long cause you're dealing with life rights and states and all. But I just want to say now personally, just to thank you because you were an advocate, took my calls, help me call all we did, all that stuff you got on the phone with Will. I mean just saying walking through helped get through Dallas, all those different things. Like people don't understand how process and how integral you were to that process, Like you you had a way of guide because you know, like our personalities are so different, you know, nervous and I'm like, and you're just cool.
Speaker 1: You know, you're my rock or the whole thing.
Speaker 3: But you but you also get the value I brought to the table.
Speaker 2: And always I saw you, and I think that yeah, but I but I saw you. I saw who you were, I saw what you were trying to be. And I think for all aspiring entrepreneurs, filmmakers, you know, just good humans like you have to be able to see people, right. And that's why, like I love Will so much, because not only was he with us in that journey of securing their life rights, getting Dallas straight, doing all the things, like he didn't have to do that, Like you know what I mean, and to be honest, he got back to no, he no, he had our back until we actually came to Peacock. And what these people are about to witness is a testament of him, like us, getting it to a certain point in him. But you need well, oh my god. So we'll get into that, you know, in a couple of episodes, but you know, actually next episode, the end of this, next episode into the other, because Will is the go. But I think that you know, when you look at that eighteen months and you look at like what we really had to endure, you.
Speaker 1: Got to learn too, because I've been through that.
Speaker 2: But that's why I've always stuck by you. That's so it's never been about money in this project. For me. I learned the game and it was like the game right. So if you're thinking about industry guys, and you're thinking about film, I would encourage you to get in something with life rights first and many hands in the pot so you can learn how to navigate and get through. Because Jeff, this went away, This went away. We ended up getting a deal and as quick as it seemed right to get in business with Will and then or for Will to say I got you, I want to do this and then go to universe and then it's staggers again and it's kind of moving slow, and it's like, oh wait, but it's been fifteen years at this point for you, two years at this point for me, three years from me. You get to this point and you're like, is this shit gonna go away? For real? No? We have a feature film at Universal. What do you remember hearing? You know what I mean, because we can kind of fast forward to the.
Speaker 3: End of it at some point, you know, you hear that it's going to go into turn around again. So I've been through that process us and listen, you're deterred. But I'm like, okay, I got Kenny and Will now and they know this.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, and you never stopped, by the way, Oh yeah, No, even with Will and not having all these things going, you are you and I stayed connected at the hill? No? No, always say no, no what I'm saying. But like you think, like it's over again. I know you were frustrated. I remember the.
Speaker 3: Calls, but again not like I'm just like, let's not let this thing die that like, okay, fine, they don't want it. Let's walk across the street, like I knew I already had a project. Now I got you. I'm like, I'm not letting go now. It's like, you know, Will Power. Okay, this is but this is important because we lose the project. And how how far after that did the fiftieth year anniversary of the heightst come?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, only about a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Okay, So but my point is right. So for those listening, we had a deal, deal went away. It was a year or two, maybe not almost. And then you called me. You were like, Kenny, the fiftieth anniversary is coming. Do you think we could? You know, because it was always talk to Will? Is what is Will saying? All right? Do we want to try something else? I mean obviously they had the option, but literally the fiftieth anniversaries upon us and you're like, I got the idea.
Speaker 3: Well, so let me let me tell you where that came from. This we gotta give us props. So Dan Bush props to you. Dan, yeah, big time, because again he's so Dan and I've known each other twenty years. Him and his crew sold the Signal at sun Dance about twenty years ago, horror film and just kind of helped everybody rise, Dave Bruckner shout out to you as well.
Speaker 1: And so at some point this is the funny thing.
Speaker 3: So Dan knows Connell their buddy, I mean they were college. Yeah, big time Connell. We'll get to that pitch in a second. And so Dan comes to me, he's like, hey, you know you got this audio. You know you should think about doing a podcast. Now, in my mind, I'm like, that's the dumbest, Like yeah, I do, why I did so?
Speaker 1: And now I'm like that's the vain.
Speaker 3: But but he gets this idea and so and he's like, hey, I know you've got this movie thing. So I think, because I know Connell, we can pitch this in a way where you can still keep all your connections and actually bringing Will and Kenny, you know, to the table, you're gonna be able to do this. So and he's got an idea also, like hey, how we can lay this out, you know, in narrative form, blah blah blah. And so he gets me on the phone with Connell and our EP Noe Brown, and I'm telling you, I pitch him on the phone, you will universal whatever I think.
Speaker 1: In forty eight hours, I get an offer, No no, no, an offer.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know how long that and not only that props to irony within maybe I don't know, a couple months of that, the deal's closed and we're off and running because I think they knew what they had. Yes, they also knew we got the fiftieth coming up. They knew, hey we got will Packerd blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: No one nobody thought it would turn it into this.
Speaker 2: Nobody come on, not even me. And I'd be very honest because when you called me, you told me what was going on, you asked me to hoste. I was like, I pushed back because you know, being with you all that time, how passionate you were about the story in fact, no, no, no, not not just on the tapes. I mean, and we had the audio, which was huge. But the other thing was, you know, we had lost JD, right, you know, Chicken man, Like I mean, so we were who else knew them and could really talk about that, you know what I mean? And you did an exceptional job, you know, and that's what ignited this new I mean limited TV series that is sweeping the world. Like I mean, we're coming out on Peacock September fifth, the second biggest airtime for the NFL, which is the first game of the season. I'm just saying, which is I said, which is the first game of the season. But I'm saying that at the end of the day, look at all the bullshit we've.
Speaker 3: Been There's two stories you got to hear because you're gonna all right. So the first one is just again props out So Linda Burns and JD Taylor, who are here in town and they've been part of this community film for years. They were the ones that helped me get that audio and video recording of JD and Chicken Man that one day now, so we've got that. That's important, Like we've got that locked for years. They actually did a let's call it five minute documentary that we were showing that. We show that to Dallas. He goes nuts. We're showing execs. So we're getting that video out there. So again, just props with them. Blake Guthrie, who worked at Eddie's Attic with me, I was a door guy.
Speaker 1: So just imagine this.
Speaker 3: I get my deal with Dallas Austin, I get my first check for an option what's you know whatever, ten to fifteen cable to me back then I'm working the door, but I can't get that check for like a couple of weeks. So to celebrate that night, I got to work a shift at the door just to get the cash to go out tricks.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So Blake right a few timest Okay.
Speaker 3: So Blake got three writes this article for Creative Loafing. Okay, it's my first big press ever cover story. Again for all you know that gravel if you know, it's nice, but it's not a big paper. But to me, it's like what So my friends when it comes out, we go to Buckhead, you know, we're like, it's like entourage, like they think, but they bring the like they bring the you can't get anything, the phone, they bring the article. My pictures not even on the article, okay, but they're walking around like literally we're entourage, Like we're gonna pick up every girl along the way. They're reading the article. We've made it into the night. I'm with my three or four guys with there's no girls. Like I was like, please don't ever do that.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 3: All right, so fast forward, We've we got this podcast going. We got will here's the podcast. So that's another thing, like he hears this, he gets on the phone, he's like, this is like he gets it. He's like, wow, we got an I P Now we got the full story. This is flushed out. So immediately he like his he's on. Now It's like, but we're gonna we're gonna push this, and he does. He starts pressing.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and so he got it to Kevin and big shot to Kevin Man. Kevin, I love that one. You you know, you are a friend. You have been you know, you know if you have a friend and you don't see him like the rest of the world, because you know him and you appreciate it, right, Like you appreciate his work. You love the movies. Your kid loves Jumanji all the things. But I'm not looking at him like superstar, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: My god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so when you think about like the level of talent that Heartbeat Productions and Will Packard Productions brought to this limited TV series film, it's a limited TV series film. This ship is films.
Speaker 1: Made like like eight films. It's like eight film really is.
Speaker 2: And when you think about the let's talk about this because I remember you and I as we started hearing about the talent and where did Sam fall in the place.
Speaker 3: Second, if I'm not mistaken, let's not even get to say Kevin.
Speaker 2: But he went to Kevin, So we already knew Kevin for me. But we knew Kevin wanted to play Chicken Man. We knew that was happening. But when we heard that Samuel L. Jackson Frank Molten was gonna be Frank Molten, we were like, get the fuck out of here. Like we were like, what part of the dream sequence is this?
Speaker 3: And it just started, Terrence, and you're just waiting for that less like who's gonna play chick?
Speaker 2: Who's gonna play j D? And when you you, I think you told me. I think they will tell me. But when I heard Jade, I was like, get the fuck out of here, and I want to talk about Cheetoh for second.
Speaker 1: Okay, no, but it's listen.
Speaker 2: You know, you think about legendary actors and we're gonna talk about everybody. They have two more episodes for you. But when you think about how it had to be Jeff without Cheetah playing JD, and mind you you just named Kevin Hart, Samuel L. Jackson, Taraji p Henson, Terrence Howard and rounding it out because j D was almost like the rounding out right. It was when he one of the the last ones.
Speaker 3: JD was the last one cast with a very vital role. That's my point.
Speaker 2: So, like when it was said that Don Cheetle was gonna play j how did you feel Because I remember our conversation and you couldn't like control, Like it was like, I don't believe this shit, Like Kenny, can you imagine? You know what I'm saying? And who would have known the dynamic between Kevin and Don on screen? It was almost like the stories you would tell me about JD in rev. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was you want to cry.
Speaker 1: I'm just.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying it was. That was a lot just to see that star power just got it.
Speaker 1: But because those are those are your pillars.
Speaker 2: Although Frank Molten and I don't think anybody's ready for Terrence Howard, Sam Jackson in the show, I don't think you ever know you need oh my god, but those are the pillars when you think about JD and.
Speaker 1: Even Taraji with just all the evan We'll.
Speaker 2: Get into that, but I'm saying, like in theory about the story.
Speaker 3: Well, so when I first wrote the screenplay that Dallas got years ago. I mean, I told Cheetle this Cheatle was the guy for Chicken. You know, I'm just in my mind, like you know, I'm thinking again, Kevin, it's years back. He's not even doing you know what I mean, he was there so to even see them as a part of this. And let's also remember I go to Will Packer's company, which was Rainforest Films years before you even got to I couldn't even get in the door though, Like I call and they're like, oh we'll try that.
Speaker 2: So wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So and then Rainforest Films that took me back.
Speaker 3: Not only that, Craig Brew is in Atlanta. I go to the premiere of Hustling Flow, well at least the Atlanta premiere. I'm waiting on a stage forty five people to pitch him this story.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 1: I get to like, I.
Speaker 3: Get to twenty people in and it's like, now he's got a break. So I don't even get a chance to say it. So I tell him. I was like, so now I got the guy that I waited And that's what I'm just saying.
Speaker 2: So you got to use your words more. You fucking didn't tell me Brewer or Brainforce Films was.
Speaker 1: So amazing thinking cheetles. So it's just all these things.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait a seconds, So now I got Will who I went to, and I got Craig Brewer who went to and so all this so maybe you always telling me to manifest or think things will finally happen of it.
Speaker 1: They're starting to like flow like.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen. The one thing you need to know about this man right here, with these amazing talents, is that this should have been your first project, Like think about it all that time. You know this is for it was nobody it is. Yeah, I mean first into into the entrepreneurs and the spying, you know, entertainment Mogan, the filmmakers.
Speaker 1: Like overnight success right over.
Speaker 2: You think it's easy. You think this ship is easy. My goodness, so you know we we have the cast.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, so so to your poort, like what you're thinking? So and I'm talking to you know mom about this like in my mind when I get and this is not a good way thing. But I'm just thinking it's all down here like I'm never.
Speaker 2: You're such the worst, I'm at the top. No, here with all these like we're getting we're getting this this information on these on these amazing genius level actors, right and actresses, and he's talking to me every day like it's possible, it is gonna go away. I'm like, motherfucker, you know they're signed, right, you know we have a date because we did get moved.
Speaker 1: And that's scared to strike. Scared Jeff.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's about to establish in the pinky toe like he literally was like, wait, no, we have that.
Speaker 3: Well we got the deal and then the strike cabins, bab, you're right what we got the deal and you.
Speaker 2: Were but you acted like literally in the middle of all that amazingness assembly that it was still might not happen, right, And so he always does this, ladies and gentlemen. You know, through this episode you'll see how he still doesn't believe it's coming out September fifth on Peacock. But I you know, I think you know it's a testament man to you know what you said, luck and timing. You know what you said, Luck, I said timing. Now, how do you feel because we have the cast, right, and then when you look at the cast, it was older, but it's the seventies, right, you have to have someone that identifies with the seventies. You have to you know, your mama, and them had to be fifty babies, damn near for and all of the people. Obviously Sam was alive, right, And I remember saying, tell the story. No, but I'm saying I remember him telling us the story that he heard about fight night. So you have integral pieces. You got seventy babies that are stars. You got Sam who was there, I mean not at the event, but in Atlanta, and and so it's shaping up. And then we had to go get some young energy, right, And I just want to give Chloe Bailey a shout out, you know, I want to give Melvin greg a shout out. I want to give Miles Bullet a shout out. I want to give Saint kwih Walls. I mean the young cast. I was telling everybody, but you know, we accomplished, Jeff, I don't think you realize, well, we accompished, because I'm telling them on set. I'm like, you know, you're on stage daily at Assembly, You're in the field with some of the greatest actors ever, and you're being tapped. I'm telling all of them this you're being tapped as the next ones because I feel seeing Chloe in in this role, seeing Lori Harvey, you know, Belola Falana, you know what I mean. I mean, it's it's an unbelievable balance. How important was that for us? Because I don't think people really understand the dynamic and trying to put this type of talent together and actually make it work.
Speaker 1: I didn't get, Like, now I see why they were doing that.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want to you know, well I didn't get it. Yeah, yeah, I was trying to tell you got it. I was trying to tell you, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I was so appreciative of the old and just and that's just all I'm thinking. But to bring in this their everything, I mean, first of all, the talent level that you just named. Watch I'm telling people, I don't even know who I'm looking at you, but just watch out. I mean, I I'm just saying, but I watched Miles B I watched Sinkual. I mean, there's a whole host I'm teresa'm and all and they're just like the watch out for these people. They brought it and we got to give a shout. Our local guy, ron Rico him going with Don and Sam and I mean, he's brilliant local legend, and so we've really got some talent across the board here. And let's also say, and I know we'll get into this, but just the behind the scenes talent that we're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was Nazio ya ya Yah in Ladies and Joe.
Speaker 2: We're gonna definitely talk about that. But I want to give Shay, oh yeah, it's props because in this whole process, you know, And I'll never forget, Yes, Shay, we love you so much. I'll never forget us going to dinner. You know, when we had tapped him right to write this and we were talking about we want to bring some of the you know, really important Atlanta music, even though it's the seventies, you know. We could put Sporty o d you know, and it, we could do international player, we could do certain and we're talking and we're having this amazing thing. But the fact that Shay was from Atlanta and he was so passionate about it, it sold He got it. What sold it for you with Shay? Though? Was it the dinner too?
Speaker 3: I Mean I'd spent four days with so that you know, we'll fly some in and Shaye walks in and he's just like he just goes off about how much he loves the Pot. He's just yeah, and he just like the podcast is everything, It's the foundation. So the fact that he just got it, that he appreciated that he's in Atlanta, I mean, I knew we bonded quick and then I was like, I got to hook him up with Kenny because I knew you'd get it. And then he he loved your vibe. He's like this, you know, So our.
Speaker 1: Team was just come. You know what I mean. It's just the team building was just amazing.
Speaker 2: In the process and actually got to spend time doing it. That's what mattered most in that. But Shay got it and and him being from Atlanta, man, you know, even when we were shooting bro.
Speaker 3: But it was handing off the tour, like I knew when the pot was like it was ready, but in my time, no, no, no, but it was I got to say this, like like I needed at some point to hand this off. You were ready, I was ready, And by the way, I was like, I got to tell myself the podcast, I gotta do it.
Speaker 1: Kenny gave me the opportunity to host this like I'm good like her. You can see that.
Speaker 3: I just I'm like, i'ma hand it off to you. And I felt from day one, I got your back. Whatever you need from me, this is yours now.
Speaker 2: Boom Yeah. And he every day was so dialed in. But we're going to get into the rest of that in episode three of Fight.
Speaker 3: Night from iHeart Radio and Doghouse Pictures. This is Fight Night.