Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer and I'm Heeart Radio podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, so this week's adult education looks a little different. I've got Kristen next to me because my other half is in London, so we are recording this with my girl Kab and thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna have a Scottish accent on this one? I don't do well with that, but I do. I am learning the rules.
Speaker 1: Of football football football.
Speaker 2: Yes, well that's a good start. I have nothing to say that. But we have such a fun guest on today. His name is Peter Fretchanelli. He is an actor and he is in a new movie. You might have seen him in Twilight, but he's got a new movie out called The Unbreakable Boy, exclusively in theaters now. It's a beautiful story about a boy named Austin zach Levi stars in it. It's about this little boy who is autism and has brital bone disease. Let's get Peter on.
Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Jana, this is Kristen.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 1: How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing it wonderful. It's cold in New York, but I'm inside so well.
Speaker 2: We have a snow day today. So our kids are home from school.
Speaker 3: Where are you.
Speaker 1: We're in Nashville.
Speaker 3: Oh wonderful.
Speaker 2: So like everything shuts down when it snows here. But we're both Michigan girls, so we're like, we got this. The show must go on always. Yeah, we have pre salted one inches of snow and has canceled everything. Everybody is in a panic here and can't get anywhere.
Speaker 3: Apparently I'm from New York too, so I love snow days.
Speaker 1: Oh you are from New York. Okay, I didn't know that. Love that.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, first and foremost, we watched the movie, and what a beautiful film, first of all, but the behind the scenes story of it is great because you actually met the real Zachary Levi in person, right, And yeah, well.
Speaker 3: This story is that's kind of crazy. My brother in law, Leon owns a pharmacy in New York City, Okay, called Pastor Pharmacy and shout outs at Pastor Pharmacy. And so Scott walked in there. He's looking for at shaving stuff because my brother in law is a cool like selection of shaving stuff. And then and then they got to talking and he started talking about this book that he wrote, and Leon said Oh, that's cool. My brother in law is in the movie business. You should you should link up with him. He maybe he can make it into a movie. And so Leon called me and said, hey, Pete, this guy walked into my story. He wrote a book. Sounds cool. You should make it into a movie.
Speaker 1: How many times, as actors have you heard that too? You know what I mean? All the time?
Speaker 3: Twelve times a day like this joke. You should make it into a movie. My grandfather get so I didn't think anything of it, but he said he's coming out to La next week. I told him you'd have lunch with him.
Speaker 1: Also, how often does this happen?
Speaker 3: Well? I was kind of annoyed because I was like, why did you tell this perfect stranger lunch with them?
Speaker 1: Like time is precious with kids.
Speaker 4: Well, it's really hard to shepherd a book into a movie, Like it's it's hard enough to get people to read a script. I think I gave the book to my agents and it set in his mailbox for like six months.
Speaker 3: And it was like, get read that book. He was like, did you give it to me? It's like it's in your mailbox. Anyway. I sat down with Scott and I had read the book because I knew I was having lunch with him, and I was just going to give him advice because I thought, oh, this is a cool story and and and so for the first like six months, I was just giving him advice because I wanted to see it on screen myself. You know, I thought this is a cool book, really really beautiful story. And you know, I didn't have any you know, I wasn't interested in taking it on in time. I had a lot of stuff on my plate. But and I produced, but it was something I was looking for. But I was giving him advice to help him. And then six months later he had some producers on that fell off and he said, well, maybe you could help me produce it. And I thought about it. It's as big of as a thing it is to take on to get people to read a book. I just wanted to see it on screen because it was just so beautiful. So I stepped in and uh, you know, I would have meetings and I would always pitch it where I thought it was appropriate. And not too long later, I found a company called Kingdom Story that came on board really understood what we were trying to do, understood the story, and uh, and they had a deal with lions Gate, and then we talked to Lionsgate. Then we were able to put a beautiful cast together. John Gunn came along to write the script, and you know, this is this is development. It could take years and years for this to happen, but it was happening very fast and uh and then COVID happened and everything was shut down, and a weird way, it worked in our favor because it was a small, intimate movie with with a handful of casts. And zacly I b I had a big football movie he was doing and they couldn't make that one because there was just too many people, too high of a risk for people getting sick. And Linzi said, we why don't we move this one up and see if we could make this as an experiment and make sure no one gets sick, and then maybe we could do other ones. So we were the only film actually filming in twenty twenty. There was mission impossible shooting overseas, but we were the only studio film shooting in the US. So it was such a blessing that we were able to put people to work at that time. Nobody got sick. We made a beautiful movie, and then it was supposed to come out in twenty twenty two and there was another round of COVID that wiped out like a bunch of theaters that they all shut down because they were worried about the Omni crown of virus at the time. And so we lions Gate believed in the film enough to pull it because we had posters up, we were really excited. We were going to go. And then it sat for a little while they were trying to figure out should we put it straight to streaming because people are home, you know, are people still going to the theaters? But lions Gate believed that enough to put it out there in theaters wide. And I'm so proud of this film. I'm proud of the message that it has. I feels like it's coming at the right time because I feel like the world kind of needs a beautiful, inspiring movie right now, full of love and a message of hope and resilience and faith. And yeah, I'm super proud of the journey of it all.
Speaker 2: Were you always set to play the pastor or were you did you ever want to play the lead? Dad?
Speaker 3: No, I felt like I wasn't quite right for the lead of Scott. So I was looking for someone that could fill those shoes. And then I was just going to produce it and not be in it. I mean, for me, it's like I'm not in my career at a place where I'm like, I want to do this to service me. I always see where I could service the story. So sometimes I write things and I'm in them. Sometimes I'll write and produce and either if there's something where I can jump in and it benefit fits the story, then I'll do it. I mean I've directed three films, uh and and one of them I was the lead in because it felt right. The other one I played a smaller role because it didn't feel like right, and and the first one I wasn't in at all. So so this film I was just interested in producing. I had other things going on, and then Zach came on board and this other role when when John Gunn wrote it, uh, you know, there was a there was a role there with the preacher, and I thought, well, that's that's fun and I could jump in and do that one and it feels like a service is that role and the story?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I love that is your favorite hat to wear right now?
Speaker 2: Producer director, actor, if you could pick one, are you just kind of floating between and like the versatility that you have in all of it?
Speaker 3: Really whatever? For me? I mean, I don't have a favorite. It's like, I love acting. I'll always love acting. I think directing I really enjoy as well, because that's you get full. That's that's an movies and TV or a director's medium. You get, you know, to collaborate with all the parts. You know, it's like you're painting and everybody's there to facilitate your painting. And that's a beautiful thing. And as an actor, you're just a cog in someone else's wheel. But it's also forms of storytelling. So for me, as an actor, I tell the story as that character using my body, my voice, and I'm a part of a bigger thing, a cog in the wheel. And as a writer, I'm just helping to create that story. So it's kind of fun to write because you're it's like you're it's like playing god. You're like, and then Jimmy gets hit by a bus. I like Jimmy. Jimmy nearly gets hit by a bus.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I think it's interesting because there was this big piece going around about how like, I mean, that's the Blake Lively thing. But she was saying like, oh, she likes to put her hands in everything, and I'm like, as an actor, like I think you should. Like I the last movie I did in January, it was like, I just don't know if she would say this, like can we tweet? It's like, I think there should be a collaborate a collaborative thing, you know, not obviously, and but being mindful of I was like, but I totally understand it's your movie, and like you wrote this and you're so passionate about it. I just like, can we This might not make sense to like, I don't know. And so I think I think it's okay to be able to to kind of have that voice because for so long in the beginning, I'm like I never said anything and then I just did it because I was just like the puppet that went to the place. But now it's like, well, no, I feel like I've got a little bit more insight to want to like have some you know ideas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, as long as it's done respectfully. I'm always respectful. But for me, it's like if I'm writing something that I'm writing, then that's mine if I come on board, like like this movie that John Gunn wrote, Unbreakable Boy, I didn't come in with any ideas of like I'm going to rewrite your stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, for sure, yeah yeah yeah, yeah, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Writing or take over other other people's stuff. It's like if there's they're definitely collaboration, like, hey, maybe maybe this would be more fun this way. But I'm always respectful because I direct as well, and I would never want somebody kind of taking over my stuff.
Speaker 1: So for sure.
Speaker 3: Uh. But as a director, I'm also very collaborative, So if it's a better idea, I'm all for, you know, uh, a very collaborative medium for sure, you know, and as a director and as a writer, and I and I love actors who you know, if if they say something that's more interesting than what I wrote, than great, and if my writing is working, then let's go back to that, you know, so full rewrite.
Speaker 2: So no, that's where that's where it's a little too much.
Speaker 1: I don't see you mean that type.
Speaker 2: I know mine was like and yeah, I think she would actually maybe cry here instead.
Speaker 1: I know, you also play the role of dad.
Speaker 2: You're a full time reigning champ as a dad and when you're doing because this is a really I've had to put myself in a very emotional spot. I'm a mom of three, jan as a mom of three, So the storyline is and in a lot of ways too, there's like this, I don't know how much I'm allowed to say, but there is now but without the spoilers, yes, yeah, yeah, but you know, like there is this like undertone of alcoholism or addiction, which also hits home to me too.
Speaker 1: So when you're doing this and you're a dad, are you is it.
Speaker 2: Does it play a really important role then on your dad role, does it start to work its way into the way that you parent seeing this story unfold? Because it feels to me from what you've described already, it's a pretty anointed story that it's made its way from pastor pharmacy pastor of pharmacy, is that what it's called in New York City all the way to the big screen and now we're all able to watch it. I mean that's a lot of stories. Never make it past a guy saying in Aisle five, I've got a book and you show read. Yeah, So does it feel then when you're taking on this, you know, such a mastermind behind all of this too, and working all the pieces and bringing it to life. Do you see that fold over into the way that you parent and the way that you're taking in life and people's I mean to me, it feels like a life changing kind of movie to be a part of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a little bit of both. It's life imitating art, art imitating life. So for me, like the reason why I was I read this book and connected with it because Scott Lorette, who it's based on, was a dad who felt like he was failing miserably and didn't know how to parent his autistic son and felt like he's he's not doing a good job. And then he turns to alcohol, and he turns to addiction because he's just like lost. And then he realizes his son has more to teach him about love and life than he could possibly teach him. And so there's this wonderful give and take when you have kids where you're there to guide them, but there's there's lessons they teach you along the way as well. So I find it's the same with film, Like I was inspired by that being a dad inspired by a man who is resilient enough to face his demons and then and then become a better parent and realize that his son taught him these wonderful things about life. And then I look at that the same way with movies too, you know, Like so that movie I was inspired by, and then as the movie was made, it also inspired me. You'd like to be a better dead. So like I try to be more patient and try to be more in the moment with my kids because of the lessons I learned from that film. But I find that with all characters, you know, you bring a lot of yourself to it, and then you also learn a lot from it. And so as I'm doing a movie, it's it's pretty much a give and take in that respect as well.
Speaker 2: So I come from well, I divorced a co parent to kids with my ex. You have done a beautiful job. I mean you welcomed Jenny in from the fires, right, that's the remember seeing that and I follow Jenny. We actually do a podcast together too, And how you guys have co parented is a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: What you know, there's I.
Speaker 2: Have days where it's great, days where it's really hard. What is your best advice for co parenting parents out there when it gets tough, look.
Speaker 3: Far for me to give advice. It's everyone has their own journey. I got to a really great place with Jenny recently, you know, and we had our ups and we had our downs. And there's the hard thing about co parent thing I think is, you know, you have different ideologies and different beliefs sometimes than the other co parent, and so how do you how do you navigate that? You know? But I find that communication is definitely key. It's hard because sometimes you're like, I don't want to talk to them, but like you you have to. Communication is always better than texting or you know, an email because there's a lot that you know, you can read into in an email and a text. So so just verbally talking is good and letting go and being being there for the kids and like for us, you know, we got to a really beautiful place recently, and like I consider her a really good friend. Like she just literally texted me the other day, no today, actually, she texted me said, hey, when's your movie coming? I said Friday. She said, good luck with it. She said, I want me to post on social media, and I said I'd be wonderful, So like I support her, she supports me. We have this wonderful support for our kids. And like I love her husband, like he's.
Speaker 1: He's the best. He's so funny, Dave is great.
Speaker 3: My kids love him and I'm so thankful for him and thankful that my kids have him in their lives. And you know, I always looking at more people to love.
Speaker 2: You know, right, Yeah, and we have to be with them too, because I'm like, if I didn't have kids with my ex, like I would never wanted to speak to him, but it's like we don't have a choice, Like you have to speak, so then you have to figure out the communication, you know, to make it best for everybody involved.
Speaker 3: You know, what you try to remember is you got like we came together Jenny and I because of love and had a relationship and like that love can transfer into a beautiful friendship and support for one another and I'm grateful for it.
Speaker 2: So that yeah, yeah, and now you have Jack who's two. Yeah, and when did Jack turn.
Speaker 3: To Jack turned is two and a half and he has the best mom. Lily is such a wonderful mom to him. And yeah, he's just so talkative. He talks so much and he's and he's my first son, so like there's lessons in that too. I grew up with three sisters and then I had three daughters, so I was always surrounded with like feminine energy, and now I have a son, so there's a lot to be learned from him and to teach him as well.
Speaker 2: I always say my son teaches me more about myself in to day than I could ever like learn otherwise. I mean, he is is Jack all boy? Like is he just crazy? Or is he because he's flying solo most of the time?
Speaker 3: Sensitive wonderful? Like he literally last week pulled the chair out for his mom and said, Mom, you sit here. He's two and a half, And I was like, what a little gentleman like you know, never too young to teach them to be a gentleman for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like you appreciate it differently this time around, being that he's kind of by himself most of the time, or like I know, we each had a break into kids, so we have two older kids and then had a baby, like a pretty big gap. I'd say, I got a fifteen month old, she's got a twenty month old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I realize how fast it goes Yeah. I mean, my oldest is twenty seven, and then my middle is twenty one, and my youngest daughter is eighteen. So I know that's the blink of an eye, and so I try to really and even with Jacket two and a half, like the last two and a half years have flown by, so like I'm trying to like slow it down, enjoy the moments, even the hard ones. I mean two and a half, you know they could be toddlers, But I joy those moments too because I know, I know that it'll be in the blink of an eye, it'll be five and then ten and then fifteen. And I look at my eighteen and twenty one and twenty seven year old and what I wouldn't give to go back and have the two and I have year old versions of them, and you know, it's so sweet. And you look at pictures and you're like, how did you go buy so fast? So I do look at that and go cherish every moment. And that's part of the message in this movie too. The Unbratable Boy is like to live in the present moment because Austin, who you know, the character is based on the main character who's autistic. He he just enjoys. He can make even the sad moments happy, you know, And he could have a milkshake and it could be the best milkshake he's ever had, and it is because that's the best milkshake he's having in that moment. And so I look at that, I'm like, if I, you know, to look through his eyes and be able to live through that beauty and gratitude for the present moment, I want some of that. So like, it's such an inspiring message in that movie to walk.
Speaker 1: Away with absolutely. I know.
Speaker 2: I'm always trying to do that, like live through my kid's eyes, because it's like they're just seeing these things for the first time or experiencing them, and you know, it's a it's a beautiful thing when you can try and see it through them. And I think that's what you know, definitely hits Home to an Unbreakable Boy, and it's a great film.
Speaker 1: To wrap up.
Speaker 2: How many is it crazy to see that people come back on the twilight side of things, because I feel like it's it's just a movie that even the younger kids are now watching, and it's it's like one of those classics that people just go back to.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, I'm just really grateful that we have such a wonderful fan base that's just so still so giving and supportive and you know, still show up. I mean, we just did a fan event in Florida and we you know, as Jackson Rathbone, Kellen Love, It's me and Ashley Green went and we sold out this whole arena of and there one hundred and fifty people couldn't get in. So, like, it's it's such a rampant fan base, and I get it because I'm a fan of the books. Like I remember going to going to a fan event and Forks and they had these people playing cosplay as the Collins, and I was like, wow, look at the Collins. They're so cool. I was like, Carlisle, he's so tall, look at them, you know, and it was just like they're just magical creatures, you know what I mean. So I'm a fan of that. I'm a fan of the soundtracks. They're fun and so seeing you like find new generations is always fun. And I've had that with other movies too. Can hardly wade. I did like and like and and my daughters love can hardly wade, you know, because that's a it's such a movie that that just kind of it's kind of epitomizes what high school is about with the stereotypes, you know. So I think every generation is like, oh yeah, I see that. I see that. I get that. So to have these movies that kind of move on to from generations the next generation, that's been fun. I mean I've been working for thirty years, so that's been a blink of an eye. And I went to the an award show the other day, the Art Directors Guild Awards, and it said the twenty ninth Annual Art Directors Guild Awards, and I was like, wow. When I started, they didn't even have these awards. Now I feel really old.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's a testament to your craft though. I mean if you think at your resume and all the movies that you've been never been a part of, I mean they stay pretty classic, and that is kind of unheard of. You know a lot of people wish they had like the Friends effect or the you know, like the things that live on forever and go through all the generations. So that's pretty it's a pretty epic resume. An Unbreakable Boy is added onto the list, So thank you Peter for coming on the show, and everyone go watch Unbreakable Boy it's out.
Speaker 3: No thanks for having me
Speaker 1: Thank you Peter.