Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is nick shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt Now here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: Well, you just never know what each day we'll bring here on Mickshotz. Who will be the surprise visitor on this day, a Thursday. Here inside the SWBC podcast studio, this is mix shots Bill Jones, Everson Walls, Mickey Spagnola with football players on a football field. I can hear you saying that, Bill, that's exactly right. We're not indoors today. It's a great day. In fact, the coach told me it looks like Cleveland out there. It was overcast, so let's go play some football.
Speaker 5: I think the sun's out now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that was about an hour ago.
Speaker 2: Land.
Speaker 6: They had some beautiful days out there, beautiful days.
Speaker 4: Does Cleveland get a bad rap?
Speaker 2: It does?
Speaker 4: Yeh yeah.
Speaker 6: But you know, when you fly in the first thing you see is rusty, shut down warehouses and industrial plants. You know, it's not a good look when you fly in. But once you land you know, it's it's not bad. Plus you have to look.
Speaker 2: Forward to the I Can Go Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: That really brought a lot up since I was there before that, but after that they put that in there.
Speaker 4: And which is very close to the stadium.
Speaker 5: It is, and the lake's kind of pretty it kind of it depends.
Speaker 2: That depends on the time of the year. Yeah, that depends.
Speaker 4: I used to go there. It's been I haven't been to Cleveland in twenty three years doing Rangers different and I would jog by where the stadium is now, by the lake and stuff and downtown Cleveland, and you know, I kind of like Cleveland.
Speaker 5: So Cleveland long as it's not December or jail.
Speaker 4: It wasn't. It was baseball.
Speaker 6: Well, my first game there because the Giants cut me with half the season to go. So I went there around October headed to the game home game. You know, I wasn't gonna play much at all, And as soon as I hit the highway, they had lake effects snow and so everyone was at a standstill, and me and Nick Saban were late to the game, and I'm like, I had never heard of.
Speaker 4: That term, you know, lake affection, lake effects.
Speaker 2: No, I had never heard of that term. I thought they were just making some crap up.
Speaker 4: And it was just like early November October.
Speaker 6: This is late October. It was late October, and there was were late. Nick was running around like he was crazy, trying to put his socks on everything because we missed one ups. We just missed all the ones and we caught introduction and uh man, that was just a and I.
Speaker 2: Got fined two hundred bucks. I'm like, you know, I can't get a break here.
Speaker 4: This is my first So okay, so do you think Saban got fined?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: And who could afford it more?
Speaker 5: Now he's gonna don't even know my name.
Speaker 4: Well, here we are. We're now three days away from the start of a new season, and uh there's excitement building with each passing day, Mickey.
Speaker 5: And we'll make sure we keep an eye keep an eye on my back so in case somebody surprises.
Speaker 4: The end of the show. Yesterday, stephen A. Smith made his way. He was taking the tour and he saw Everson and Lo and behold Everson and Steven O. Stephen A go way back.
Speaker 2: He got history. Uh huh, and uh I still hate him.
Speaker 6: A surprise, No he's I don't want to put that out and me and then we got along real well.
Speaker 5: He spent an hour with Jerry the owner. Didn't were interview.
Speaker 2: He and Bernard. You know Bernard was the kitchen and now he and Bernold they have a little history.
Speaker 6: I got some New York boys and both of New York, and they had a little They knew some guys that both went to Winston Salem, you know HBCU, well Steve when they went to school.
Speaker 5: So yeah, they let him sit in the training table and have lunch.
Speaker 2: You should, did you should?
Speaker 4: Did you watch the interview? I watched it last night. A good interview with Jerry. It was an hour long.
Speaker 2: It was an hour.
Speaker 4: I got to bed late last night, after after work. That was what I watched before going to bed last last night. I know, No, it was good. It was a good interview. In fact, Jerry was highly complimentary of stephen A's questions. You've done your research. Yeah, right, they need to stop.
Speaker 2: They need to stop.
Speaker 6: We all know they got this little thing going. They really need to stop. Yeah, Jerry Odd, that's what you call.
Speaker 5: Jerry just goes back to tech shram. If you're talking about me, good or bad as long as you're talking about me, right, And Jerry gave him credit for the Cowboys high profile.
Speaker 4: He's part of part of the reason the Cowboys are worth what they're worth. Right, So there you go, and stephen A is almost worth that much himself.
Speaker 6: Got once he once he got rid of the extra load walls.
Speaker 4: Where do you go? Way back with him?
Speaker 6: This was around the time I donated my kidney, because so it was around oh five, it was five first and uh, yeah, I don't know how Mike Davis my business partner, he was my agent at the time, and I don't know how I even got the gig. Well, nick I was flying to New York every week going up there to do the show, The stephen A. Smith Show, and we were on with a couple of other guys and uh, you know how it is one of those new shows radio it was on.
Speaker 4: Yes, probably find it on YouTube.
Speaker 2: So you can definitely find it.
Speaker 6: And you know, there were times when you just run out of content and we just start talking trash each other, and that that.
Speaker 2: Was the most exciting part of the show.
Speaker 4: Pretty good stuff there.
Speaker 2: But we had fun.
Speaker 6: But I think Stephen they got upset with somebody behind the scenes, and once he started opening up his mouth, the whole thing was going. H But what the best thing about it was around the time I was gonna donate my kidney, I was trying.
Speaker 2: To keep the secret.
Speaker 6: We were trying to keep the secret until Sean Ron's son just can't keep his mouth closed. And so once he released that, people started asking me about it. Before I caught the plane to go to New York because they was on ESPN dot com.
Speaker 2: So I go there and I'm like, Steven.
Speaker 6: I don't want to talk about this now, because our plan was to make sure to make it happen. But He's like, you're gonna talk about you know, in that voice, and so we ended up. Really that was the first time we public league aired My intent to donate my kidney was on that show, so we got that history going.
Speaker 5: And by the way, he moonlighted on us last night.
Speaker 4: Too, I saw something.
Speaker 6: What was going on there, man, I was just you know, up at the place, you know, up at the Cowboys Club, the Cowboy Club, chilling you just you just.
Speaker 2: The show, spreading my knowledge.
Speaker 5: He was on our old Legend show.
Speaker 4: It used to be called the Legend Show. So you're no longer a legend. You're a cross talk.
Speaker 5: He's a cross talk.
Speaker 2: It was fine. Nate had me fired up. He was, you know, Nate man.
Speaker 6: When we started talking about the team together, we you know, we really started sounding off. And yeah, pretty much what I was saying here and those things that we talked about in here was very prevalent on the interview.
Speaker 4: By the way, I don't think anybody was as excited to see stephen A in the building than Nate Newton.
Speaker 2: Well, I have something to say about that.
Speaker 6: You know, he walks by, he wasn't even gonna speak to us, but hardly trying to sneak by. And remember Nate, Nate early earlier, Yeah, what's up? I thought it was gonna come in right.
Speaker 4: No, no, they gave us the cold shoulders and then stephen A. Smith shows up and all of a sudden on the show.
Speaker 6: Come on, man, it is that too predictable? Come on, Nate, do better, man. You know we love you boy, We love you first, stephen They is definitely second.
Speaker 4: All right, enough, stephen A. You didn't like the Cowboys anyway? Right, that's right, So Mickey, get us up to speed. What the coach said at this press conference, what we need to know as we start this Thursday.
Speaker 5: You know what, I thought it was interesting. He didn't answer the question, But there was a second part to it. Remember yesterday when we started talking about the possibility of Trayvon Diggs following Amari Cooper, I brought that up to you, and so the question came up, and obviously he wasn't going to give you any thoughts on how they're going to play ski, but part of the question was is Trayvon healthy enough just being his first game is going to play since September seventeenth last year to do that, And he said health is no problem that he would be good enough to be able to do something like that. So from a health standpoint.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean they said the same thing about Michael Gallup last year.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I don't think they understood.
Speaker 6: They understood, but right I think they you know, like like any player you gamble on, Hey man, I hope you're ready.
Speaker 2: You know, we did everything we could.
Speaker 6: We fixed your knee up, you fix up your your ligaments, and so you know, I hope everything's gonna be okay. I'm hoping that he's able to ramp up sooner. Talking about term Steele.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, he said he feels much better. Yeah, yeah than last year.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely, but he wasn't talking about not feeling well, like.
Speaker 5: I'm ready to go, right, So you're ready to go until it's time to go, that's right.
Speaker 6: So you know, I'm just hoping that Trayvon is is all the way healthy, as healthy as he can be. He didn't start really full practice until when in training.
Speaker 2: Oh, it was.
Speaker 7: Easily midway least the first two weeks and he had not practice and it was basically that the second rams joint practice where he had the interception was where.
Speaker 5: Right, And I think that was watching from afar. Finally back in pads, actually taking part in team and Mike points out that's not much time that today will be a very important practice for him because they'll be in pads and they'll have competitive periods, so he get a better gauge of maybe just as.
Speaker 6: You talked about that, that's close proximity from just getting in pads to now I'm going to be following the Mary Cooper all around.
Speaker 4: And remember how Trayvon got hurt. It wasn't during the game, No, it was practice last year, and so you can understand why you're taking baby steps as we.
Speaker 6: Go along and now, and that's why I'm taking baby steps mentally in regards to thinking that he can do.
Speaker 5: So it'll be interesting what they decide or if they'll say, Okay, kayln Carson, have at it, big boy.
Speaker 2: Well let's look at this.
Speaker 6: Uh, the fact that the Browns, we know they're going to run the ball, but the fact that we're not necessarily respecting their running game with Chub being out, maybe we could expend the safety to you know, kind of keep an eye out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for.
Speaker 6: I was, which one are you going to keep an eye off for a Cooper?
Speaker 5: And somebody's got somebody.
Speaker 4: By the way, Both those guys are We've always talked about Amari and his route running. Cherry Judy is known for his crisp route running as well.
Speaker 5: And speak and and Jordan Lewis basically you know we we say it Cooper's route run. He said, he's got to be one of the top five receivers I've ever seen running routes. Yes, that's how good he is.
Speaker 6: And it's not just that you see it on some of the preview shots. They're talking about Cooper his ability to catch the ball, in the crowd is special. His ability to make tough catches is special, even with the dB on his back. His ability to concentrate in that manner, you know, you gotta put it. I put him higher than top five in regards to especially in the game today. I wouldn't say history, but in the game today he goes to me.
Speaker 2: He reminds me.
Speaker 6: Of old school players that are just able to be pure receivers and no matter what's going on around him blittny cough, guys like that, I'm going to catch this ball, whatever you're doing. My concentrations on that ball, and I'm going to not just catch it, I'm gonna get my feet down and make football player.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 5: The thing I noticed about his route running was that he could make cuts without losing speed. The speed stayed the same, and that's got to be problem for a cornerback because if he gets a step on you, then you're probably not catching up.
Speaker 6: He reminds me when you think about guys like him, he doesn't beat you with speed, right, he beats you with precision. Yeah, Steve Larger makes every route look the same if he wants to. When he comes off the line of scrimmage, there's no tail. The wide receivers sometimes they give you a tail. They'll come off a certain way, trying to fake you into this and that, and then you can start to figure it out after a while with guys like Larging every route, when he comes off the line, it looks exactly the same, So you really have to concentrate on keeping an eye.
Speaker 2: On him and everything he does.
Speaker 6: And after while you get messma rides because his feet are going the same speed all the time, and he will cut off of that same speed. And that's what you're talking about when he makes his cut.
Speaker 5: Not that he's so fast, but that he does precise I mean, Michael wasn't the speediest wide receiver out there.
Speaker 2: Jimmy would admit that, right.
Speaker 5: I remember when Jimmy first got here and he saw his wide receiver core and he.
Speaker 4: Goes, where's the speed?
Speaker 5: I have more speed at Miami I left behind than right here with this.
Speaker 4: Cowboys drafted Alexander Wright.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and got speed, but didn't know.
Speaker 6: As you talk about Mike coming off the same way. Uh, it's the preciseness in that Drew Pearson same thing. There's a reason that got Drew and Mike got behind people with no speed because of the preciseness of their route.
Speaker 2: They never changed anything.
Speaker 6: You're waiting on the move, you don't get a move when you when you don't get a move, then they've got they make the move. And so that's why the precision of im off the line of scrimmage is something that most good wide receivers are.
Speaker 4: You know, you look at what Cleveland has the wide receiver position. I was comparing with what they had last year and really the addition of Jerry Judy. They didn't have that second receiver on their roster really last year. If you look just at catches last year in fifteen games, Cooper had seventy two catches. Elijah Moore was their second leading receivers as a wide receiver and he had fifty nine receptions. In djoku, they're tied in had eighty one receptions, so he led them in receptions. But they as far as wide receivers go, they had those two Cooper and more and then David Bell was another guy that at fourteen just fourteen catches, and so they have actually added to their arsenal and Jerry Judy is not replacing anybody. He's being added to the arsenal that they didn't have last year. And this is a team with five quarterbacks went eleven and six a year.
Speaker 5: Ago, right, so, and one was kind of coming off his couch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Joe Flacco.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, and then you look at Watson. He had six starts last year. They went five and one in his starts and.
Speaker 5: The other one, which is amazing because he numbers weren't I mean.
Speaker 4: Just sixty one percent completion percentage for eleven hundred and fifteen yards as you've mentioned, six point five yards per attempt, and he had four picks and seven touchdown passes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So if you just try and take away the mistakes that they made, you're looking at a team obviously led by hello a defense. Yes, exactly, That's what it comes down to. Like Spac said, the numbers weren't that great.
Speaker 4: On their offense. They not only played five quarterbacks last year, they lost arguably is the best running back in the league in Nick Chubb after two games. And they also had their left tackle Jedrick Wills, only played eight games last year and their right tackle, Jack Conklin, only played one game last year, so they had they were playing backup tackles for the majority of the season and backup running back in five quarterbacks last year, and so they had to rely on their defense. And that's why Kevin Stefanski was the Coach of the Year last year is because of what they had to deal with on their offense.
Speaker 6: I heard Nate Newton bring up last night. We're talking about cross talk. Nate Newton brought up the Ravens, And you know, you guys know I've always brought up the Ravens when I talk about a team that's just stubborn in their own defense because their team has such a good defense, they don't care who they go into the game with. Their defense is going to give them a shot to win the game. That's what I want from here. That's what I've always wanted. I've said it two or three years and ago. That's what I've always wanted here. I don't care who we go in with defensively, we have to control the game.
Speaker 2: We did that a little bit with Cooper Rush at one point.
Speaker 6: We did it for five games if I'm not mistaken, But you know, I think we need to have more of that mentality.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mickey, you look back at the Super Bowl teams in the nineties and the defense controlled the games right then.
Speaker 5: Right, And and I think that's one of the unknowns of this defense. You know, has it improved, right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: Can you stop the run against teams that want to run the football, right, which they didn't do.
Speaker 4: That's philosophy, right, yeah, contract.
Speaker 5: And that's why I like seeing on the depth chart that there were three linebackers line.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So you've got to be able to have a defense that can stop the offense no matter what they're trying to do.
Speaker 2: No matter what they're trying to do.
Speaker 6: And now that also comes from preparation and also comes you know, and they talked about last night as well. I mean, you have people out there calling out your play sometimes before the balls even snapped.
Speaker 2: We should be that defense.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm sure every offense has a tail, every offense has a page that they have.
Speaker 2: Sure Zimmas told.
Speaker 6: Them, like, when this happens, then we all need to yell out whatever needs to happen. But adjustments we need to make. So this team needs to have not just one player that can do that, but there needs to be a core of players that would recognize right away what's going on.
Speaker 2: He spoke about the Giants doing that. I was there.
Speaker 6: I saw it. The guys know what's going on. Call Bank's gonna call it out, Pepper Johnson's going to see it. They're gonna pass it over to Lt. Lennad marsh is already there and what's stopping them.
Speaker 4: It's a cerebral game.
Speaker 5: That's why Eric Kendricks is going to make a big difference.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm trying.
Speaker 5: After they lost vander esh they didn't have enough linebackers, enough guys with experience playing the position like Clark was playing. That was his first year basically. I mean, I know he played as a rookie, but that was his first year playing that much. Right, they were short of linebackers and that's why you know it came up in the press conference. The last time these two teams met was twenty twenty and I think Cleveland ran for five hundred yards whatever it was. Yeah, yeah, that was remember it And somebody brought that up, right, It's like, did you show them what the Browns like to do? And McCarthy goes, well, we're more dealing with now. That was back then, and I'm thinking, yeah, that's when Mike Nolan was the defensive coordinator, and this defense was not very good. Whatever scheme they were trying to play, it was a I can't even remember if they were trying to do some three four things and four to three stuff and they were just miserable.
Speaker 6: You have to worry or wonder with this Cleveland team. Will they still continue to run the ball twenty five thirty times a game, right thirty five? Or will they just use that to set us up for the past.
Speaker 5: Because last year they only have it's three point nine yards of carrying running the ball, but.
Speaker 2: It doesn't stop him from running a great amount of time, and they.
Speaker 5: Ran it five hundred and eighteen times. I want to say, that's got to be and I'll look it up after I say it one hundred times more than the Cowboys did.
Speaker 2: So the pattern is there. We know what he likes to do.
Speaker 6: But sometimes when you have an offense that's that's more diverse than he's probably ever had, he could use the run just to set you up for the past.
Speaker 4: And by the way, that two thousand game. Stefanski the head coach for Cleveland and McCarthy the head coach for Dallas. They're both in their fifth year so Stefanski was the head coach for Cleveland the last time these two teams met in two thousand and the numbers on that mickey it was three hundred seven yards. I only exaggerated a little three hundred seven yards rushing for Cleveland in that game. They did not have a one individual one hundred yard rusher. Ernest Johnson had ninety five yards on thirteen carries. Kareem Hunt had seventy one yards and eleven carries. Nick Chubb had six carries for forty three yards. Dontrell Hilliard had five carries for nineteen yards. And get this, Odell Beckham Junior had two carries for seventy three yards touchdown.
Speaker 2: And once again, the setup. It's the setup, the preparation you used the running game to set them up for the passing game.
Speaker 4: And by the by the way, Dak Prescott threw fifty eight passes in that game. It was forty one out of fifty eight for five hundred and two yards passing for the Cowboys in that game a loss forty nine thirty eight. It was sealed by an Odell Beckham Junior fifty yard run for a touchdown with three twenty five left in the game that sealed it for Cleveland.
Speaker 5: Cow was rented for sixty eight last year, So that's not bad.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're just getting started here. We got much more to get to. It's getting you ready for the Cowboys and the Browns. When mix shots continues in a.
Speaker 1: Moment, Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 5: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Miller Lite is brewed to be less filling. What are you doing here? Miller Lite tastes great. Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling.
Speaker 4: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 8: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Vishine legal guy. Celebrate responsibily. Milwaukee Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousands to be point two grams cards for twelve bounces, fewer cowsand cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 4: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties, Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination. For all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touch as you cheer on the Cowboys. Your k Hero's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 10: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapper the pressout.
Speaker 2: Who looks right, It's not there, he escaped sleft.
Speaker 5: He'll love full punch down.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust with blockchain dot com. I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's can run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot com to mixed shots.
Speaker 6: Rally Days presented by seat Geek, give NFL fans an experience of a lifetime the day prior to the Dallas Cowboys home games on September fourteenth and Joe activities at Miller Lighthouse, Get behind the scenes tour of at and T Stadium and more. Visit at and T Stadium dot com Slash Rally Days for more information and to get your tickets Today exclamation point.
Speaker 4: The first rally day the day before the home opener against the New Orleans Saints a week from Sunday, and we're getting you ready for this Sunday three twenty five at Huntington Bankfield. That's it Okay in Cleveland Bank They named that this week also named a new radio play by play guy Andrew ci Ciciliano, who used to be with the NFL Network Jim Donovan, their longtime radio play by play man. Our thoughts and prayers are with him as he had to retire from the broadcast booth. He's battling cancer and so our thoughts are with him during this time. All right, Mickey, what else is on your legal pad? There?
Speaker 5: Mike was asked about if he was comfortable starting four rookies in the season opener, and he said, I don't know if the word comfortable is right, but he said, uh, I'm confident. Uh, And you know you're gonna You're gonna find out what these guys can do.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: We talked a little bit about it yesterday, although we got off track because I asked Everson, well, it was it like to start your first game in the NFL? And he goes, I don't know, but I before I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, I went off. I went off. I do that sometimes. I'm sorry, but but these guys.
Speaker 5: I was talking to Dak about it a little bit and he was like, you know, you just got to be if you're prepared, you got to be confident in yourself. You can't go out there tippy toeing and acting like oh, I'm a rookie. This is my first game. You've played football before. You just got to go out and play. And it was funny. I said, well, what do you remember most about that? And he said, so it was against the Giants. It was on the road, I think twenty sixteen, real quick, and he said, all I all I remembered was seeing all these signs about nine to eleven. He remembered that they played on nine eleven.
Speaker 4: It was nine to eleven. Yeah, it was September eleventh, twenty sixteen. It was at home against the Giants, a twenty to nineteen loss. And then he reeled off how many went eleven wins.
Speaker 5: And eleven So he lost three games that year. Two of them were to Giants, one by one point and one by.
Speaker 4: That was back when the Giants used to beat the Cowboys. Yep, yeah.
Speaker 2: What was the other?
Speaker 5: The second loss to the Giants.
Speaker 4: It was his next loss, which was December eleventh, my birthday, Well birthday?
Speaker 5: Was it a three point game?
Speaker 2: Yes? It was.
Speaker 4: See there, a ten to seven loss at the Giants.
Speaker 5: So two of his three losses were about total of four points in the.
Speaker 2: Bo Did we need that Giants?
Speaker 4: No, we won the Division.
Speaker 6: So yeah, yeah, yeah, I was going to say that sounds like a meek out.
Speaker 4: And had a first round by in the playoffs, so yeah, no, we didn't need that game.
Speaker 5: And then was the they lost the last.
Speaker 4: The last game at Philadelphia.
Speaker 5: So that was That's how close they were too. Almost imperfect with a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 4: But anyway, and then Aaron Rodgers and Jared Cook happened in Mason Crosby in the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Don't give me start like what I was there time ten seconds left.
Speaker 2: I was there.
Speaker 4: But Dak is one who knows a little something about starting as a rookie in this league and having success.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and just you know, go play I think what happens is a younger player gets out there and you say, just go play football, but they also understand that it's.
Speaker 2: At a higher level.
Speaker 6: So the guy, you know, you've always played football, right, but you're always better probably than the guy that you were going up against. And you might have a couple of challenges, but now you've got a challenge from even the wide receiver.
Speaker 2: They might be coming off the bench. So everybody is as good as you.
Speaker 6: But we start to tighten up when we think of that we start to overthink when you're confronted in that situation.
Speaker 5: Because you're probably worried about making a mistake. But he makes a mistake out there, you just don't want to make it again or make that mistake cause another mistake.
Speaker 6: But you also you might be a bit intimidated from your thought process of, well, this guy's really good.
Speaker 2: So how did I play somebody who's really good.
Speaker 6: Somebody I hadn't played against who's got that kind of talent before. How do you handle that mentally? Do you play more cautiously or do you get too aggressive? That's where you have to kind of.
Speaker 4: What's interesting is this matchup against this Cleveland defensive line for the two rookies for the Cowboys. Is how veteran a unit it is for Cleveland? I mean we're talking, Okay, Miles Garrett, he's obviously, he's Miles Garrett. He's a five time pro bowler and he's gonna he'll be twenty nine in December.
Speaker 2: Guy, he's still young.
Speaker 4: And but on the other side, you got Zadarius Smith, who turns thirty two this week. Okay, your interior guys, Shelby Harris is thirty three years old, and Dalvin Tomlinson is thirty years old, and then they signed Quentin Jefferson in the offseason. He's thirty one years old. So it's like everybody that they're lying up against on that defensive line, no matter what the matchups are, it's going to be a guy with old man's strength who's twenty nine are over yeah, basically and with five six years at least five six years experience. I think that's like, that's what that's what the kids are up against this week.
Speaker 6: And he's born a day after me. Who's that mouth good? Oh, okay, day after me?
Speaker 2: He's that old show go ahead.
Speaker 4: And the concern that I have, you know, clearly there's a concern guid in going up against Garrett or Zadarius Smith, doesn't matter who lines up. The concern I have with Geydon is the lack of experience that he had even at the collegiate level. It's a big ask. I mean, we've seen in the little bit that we've seen of him in training camp where he looks the part okay, but it's a question of being able to consistently do it play after play in this league and uh, and then it'll be after this week. It'll be game after game?
Speaker 2: What is that a spectrum thing?
Speaker 5: We put the tight end right there?
Speaker 4: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 5: I mean they can't. They can't leave him single on Garrett the whole game. Got to put the tight end over there, put the full back over there.
Speaker 4: And it's going to be an ongoing thing all season. Will you want to make sure.
Speaker 5: Because everybody's got a right maybe not to that level, but they got a miles gear right. You know, what do you think they're saying in Cleveland?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 5: What are we going to do with left tackle? Michael Parsons lines up over there? So that's put a tight end over there.
Speaker 6: When you when you look at when you look at those kind of matchups, you know he's gonna come out there, and you talked about the veterans on the line, they're going to have this type of communication on their side.
Speaker 2: That he's going to notice.
Speaker 6: And you can't be tripped out by that, right you know, because they're going they're unified. I mean, they've been together, you know, a couple of years probably, and you know they've got this culture now on their defensive line. So when we come out on our offensive line, I'm pretty sure, we won't necessarily have the kind of confidence in ourselves right away that their defensive line will have. So as a unit, they got to come together as a unit, not individually. They have to look at this as a unit. I can't look at this and say I'm out here by myself with this guy and they've got all this communication going. They look so together. Here we are. We know we got a rookie over here. We got a rookie here. Everybody's We're not as solidified, and so those kinds of things can make you, as you go out there, initially think about oh.
Speaker 5: Snap, they they Since Miles Garrett is just down the road from here growing up, we need to get him to walk out there and go Tyler, your mama.
Speaker 2: No, and just that let's get this.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: The other thing that Dak pointed out, we were just shooting the breeze. He was talking about how these players today are more adapt to playing dealing with the atmosphere of the big stadiums. He goes, especially since the transfer portal in college, guys that were playing small college they transfer into a bigger school and all of a sudden, sixty five thousand people at you know, Huntington bank Field is not intimidating because they've played in that before. They're more adept to dealing with because sometimes did the atmosphere ever did you ever go oh wow?
Speaker 2: I never did?
Speaker 5: I mean because what was the most you played in front of in college?
Speaker 2: In college super Dome by your classic but home game that was definitely not a home game.
Speaker 5: No, I mean when you played a home game at Grambling.
Speaker 2: Oh that was three thousand people. Then you walk. That's why we never played at home. That's why we Alway Stadium.
Speaker 6: Yeah we don't. We don't Grambling. No, we go Orange Bowl. We went to Tallahassee, you know, Jackson Memorial Stadium.
Speaker 4: With a big metropolitan area.
Speaker 6: Right, No it is not, sir, Yeah, no, we all That's why we always went to the to the big stadiums.
Speaker 5: So you've seen we were bo Stormers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's something.
Speaker 6: No, not not, but they of course right after I.
Speaker 2: Left and so yeah, now they do our time.
Speaker 6: But no, you're right, it's you know there, there can't be it can't be intimidating. I'll say, like this first game, first home away game New York played in New York playing Yankee Stadium, and I wasn't intimidated by the crowd, but just the fact that I was playing in.
Speaker 4: The crowd didn't intend that it was those monuments out.
Speaker 6: In seventeen years old Yankee Stadium. So that kind of got me. Yeah, I didn't, I didn't play that game, But no, that got all right.
Speaker 4: We continue with more mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 5: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction. Millerlte is brewed to be less filling. What are you doing here?
Speaker 3: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 5: Look, I'm just reading the script. It says less filling.
Speaker 4: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset, we'd.
Speaker 8: Like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm Vishine Legal Guy, Celebrate Responsibily Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousand to be point two grams cards for twelve bounces, fewer cowsond cars than premium regular beer.
Speaker 4: Fall is here and that means football is back, bringing all the delicious game day foods with it. As you prep for all the big games, tailgates and watch parties, Let Yo Kiero be your one stop destination for all things homegating. Yo Kiero's fresh, flavorful, ready to serve guacamole made with real hass avocados will score taste bud touchdowns as you cheer on the Cowboys. Yo Kierro's wide range of mouth watering and versatile products can be found in your local grocery stores, produce or deli section. Grab some today.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And they snapper the press guy who looks right, it's not there, pe escape flap.
Speaker 10: He'll work for a punk style, just like football when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust.
Speaker 2: With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands.
Speaker 10: Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 4: Press Scot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot Com To mixed shots.
Speaker 6: Come shop at the Star in Frisco on Saturday, September twenty eighth from ten am to four pm at the Flea Style Market at the Star, presented by maker Place by Michaels, feature fifty plus local makers offering art, fashion, home, dick Corps, jewelry and kids items. Market at the Star is always a favorite. Admission is free. Visit the Star District dot com for more info.
Speaker 4: All right, field positions can to be a key in this game too. We were talking this continuing our conversation on those young linemen. You don't want to be backed up right, You're on end of the field and it's gonna be hard.
Speaker 5: Don't get hard to get out of the dog Pound's right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I'm more worried about their their home field attitude by the Browns than I am probably anything else.
Speaker 5: They only lost one game there only.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I just playing at home, they feel like they have a huge advantage, and how will we you know, this is one of those games like early on in the season obviously to where we can we need to test ourselves. It's going to be a big test to see how we play with our backs up against the wall against a team that is a great matchup for us.
Speaker 5: And it wasn't just any team beating them at home. They got beat by Baltimore, so.
Speaker 4: They also beat Baltimore. In fact, that was the last game that was at Baltimore. They won thirty three thirty one one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The reason I looked at that game was that was the last game that Deshaun Watson played in and they actually fell behind seventeen to three early in that game and they came back and won thirty three to thirty one.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: But you could tell even in that game watching Deshaun Watson that he was having issues with his shoulder. I mean he kind of a funky throwing motion during that game. And he wound up being lost for the rest of the season and had shoulder surgery. So that's one of the intriguing things is what is Watson going to look like now?
Speaker 2: So let's look at that.
Speaker 6: I mean, Watson's going through his stuff, you know, the controversy, the legal problems coming in here with turnovers and not being able to play up to his true ability, and they still won. So you got to look at how tough minded this team is. That's why that worries me more than anything. It's not the matchups, it's the tough minded. This is how they play at home. And I gotta say this, this coach is pretty damn good coach. He can motivate the heck out these guys.
Speaker 4: Speaking of coaches, that's interesting. I love looking at the just the matchup of coaches and stuff. Okay, yet, Kevin Stefanski, who is in his fifth year as the head coach at Cleveland, you know where he was before that, He was with Mike Zimmer in Minnesota. Here we go and so he was in fact, he was with the Vikings from two thousand and six. He preceded Zimmer at Minnesota, and Zimmer kept him on the staff when he became the head coach in twenty fourteen, and so he was with him through twenty nineteen, and he got the Cleveland job in twenty twenty. So they obviously know each other very well.
Speaker 2: A nice nugget, dare, buddy. And then that's something right was he the did he?
Speaker 4: He was the variety of positions, and I believe he may have been in scouting to start with. But once once Zimmer was hired as the head coach, he was the tight ends coach in twenty fourteen and fifteen, he was the running backs coach in sixteen, he was the quarterbacks coach in seventeen and eighteen, and the offensive coordinator in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 6: That's that's a tough one there. That's something there. That's a nugget right there, Bill, there's that.
Speaker 4: There's another little no.
Speaker 2: One no one's even talked about.
Speaker 4: That's interesting, man, there's another little nugget. Their new offensive coordinator, Ken Dorsey, who of course was with Buffalo last year and was let go the middle of the season, and then Joe Brady took over and Buffalo went on their run, running the football more and were now exactly well, Dorsey, you probably recall, he was in college a great quarterback in Miami led the Hurricanes to the national championship. But then he was a seventh round draft pick of San Francisco in two thousand and three. So who was Ken Dorsey's offensive coordinator in San Francisco and two thousand and five it was Mike McCarthy. And actually Dorsey started two games for McCarthy in two thousand and five won one of those games. It was a juggernaut offensive display in which San Francisco kicked five field goals to win the game with fifteen points. So that's the history of Mike McCarthy and their offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey.
Speaker 2: So you're like, dang, that's good. You like it right there, buddy, I like that.
Speaker 4: And by the way, and Mike McCarthy and we taped the Mike McCarthy Show today and I brought up the fact that Jim Schwartz, the defensive coordinator. They go way back when Schwartz was the head coach with the Lions, which was when was here we go back to or early last decade. It was a two thousand and nine through twenty thirteen, and the coach won up me there He said well, he was the defensive coordinator in Tennessee. Going back to two thousand and one through four is when McCarthy was the offensive coordinator with New Orleans and they went up against each other then too. So it's just so funny the history between.
Speaker 6: Taking those coaches are the gather they they'll see what one of the coaches makes a peculiar move, a great move, a big call, and they remember that.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: I think that they're like golfers where they remember the shots in around and they I.
Speaker 6: Got to make sure if I coach when we go against each other in the future, I look out for that.
Speaker 4: You've seen like Sean McVay Lincoln Riley where they'll do little games with a reporter will say, okay, two thy fourteen, it was third and ten with two minutes left in the third quarter. What played you're playing the Titans or whoever? And what play did you call? And they they recall It's just unbelievable. That's the way courter.
Speaker 6: So yeah, but then you've got one of his coaching mates sitting right next to him thinking mm hmm, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know that's my point.
Speaker 4: So they're playing album I'm gonna remember.
Speaker 5: That, did you notice their senior offensive assistant, former Cowboy draft choice, go way back, okay, Bill Muskrave.
Speaker 4: That's right, Bill Muskra. You know he looks a lot older than he did when the Cowboys had him here in thirty years ago. He's been a right, Bill Musgrave, it's been.
Speaker 5: A quarterback coach of offensive court. Well, well it was one, I want to say.
Speaker 4: So thirty three, so he's fifty five years old.
Speaker 5: Now I want to say he might have been like a third round draft choice and he didn't make the team.
Speaker 2: He was young.
Speaker 5: I remember, you know what I.
Speaker 4: That's why I looked at his picture and go, oh, he's aged. Of course he looked at my picture, so the same.
Speaker 2: It wasn't ninety one was.
Speaker 4: Trying to draft drafted.
Speaker 5: The thing I remember though he was a rookie. They were at show, they were at they were at the at the ranch, and he was in the car with his parents in the back seat.
Speaker 2: His dad would.
Speaker 4: Drive off dropping him off at school.
Speaker 5: It was I said, oh, this guy's really young.
Speaker 4: All right, got a couple more minutes to go here, mickey, we're running out the clock. Minute. Warning goes to both benches. You got anything else?
Speaker 2: We're doing four corners now. But ye.
Speaker 5: See what he got drafted.
Speaker 4: That was a good little nugget though that weren't.
Speaker 2: It wasn't first. Now we're just really.
Speaker 4: I set at the bar highway there you go, all right, anything else making.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 5: I think we've about cover.
Speaker 4: We run out of steam. Okay, two minutes. I know That's why I was sitting there going, Okay, Mickey, we're wrapping things up. Now. You keep looking at the media guy, We're gonna go keep looking. We're gonna do look at other things now.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: That does it for this week, for this show today tomorrow. What a big, fabulous football Friday it will be ever since. You got to come with your picks tomorrow. Yes, okay, picks to click. And by the way, we got football tonight, that's us Saturday ball the morning night. And then we got in Brazil. You've got the game tomorrow night between Philly and Green Bay and three twenty five Sunday at Huntington Bankfield in Cleveland. It's all starting.
Speaker 2: So these guys are going to be Are they gonna be safe in Brazil?
Speaker 6: I mean, I really, I'm serious, man, I don't know beef enough to stay.
Speaker 4: On the team bus and stay at the hotel.
Speaker 2: Don't leave the hotel service service.
Speaker 4: That's right. Yeah, all right, So that does it for Mixed Shots today. Will shout at you nineteen ninety one, Oh, Mickey'll keep shotting at you. Drafted fourth round.
Speaker 2: That's all right, that's what you're looking for.
Speaker 4: Bill, And why are you looking that up? Because he's on their coaching staff.
Speaker 2: That's right, he's trying He was trying to up you on the whole.
Speaker 4: Not who's the most who's the most well known coach on their coaching staff.
Speaker 5: Well, I haven't looked at the whole staff.
Speaker 4: Mike Vrabel, Oh nice, all right, Shot at you again tomorrow here on Mixed Shots, with more on Mike Vrabel than the Browns.
Speaker 2: Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football clubby