Speaker 1: It is Thursday, June.
Speaker 2: Well, this is Jaguars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by dream Finders Homes and now a guy who witnessed a truckload of coughs overturn on the highway.
Speaker 3: On the way in this morning. Luckily there is no congestion for over eight hours. JP Chacker, welcome in. It is Jaguars Happy Hour, presented by dream Finders Homes, official homebuilder of the Jacksonville Jaguars. It's our final show of the off season program. Vacation begins in about an hour from right now. We'll be back in late July. JP Shadick Jeff Flogaman on ten to next lam Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. Good afternoon, Jeff.
Speaker 1: How's your congestion?
Speaker 3: Clear as a bell? Apparently about the last show because it means that there's gonna be a little bit of a break for us.
Speaker 1: But you know this is the.
Speaker 3: Time of a good break. Well, there's nothing wrong with a great break, but this is the time of year too that the players really need to take a break from a mental standpoint, not from a physical standpoint. The training still has to go on, but you've got to be able to step away for a while to kind of to get ready to focus in and lock in for a season, because I mean that's it's incredibly demanding. A lot of people kind of don't understand the mental grind. I mean people think that playing football is easy. It's just you're being an athlete. Well, try dealing with about fifteen different injuries throughout the course of about six months and trying to perform at your best level. I mean it's hard. It's hard, and it takes a lot of mental concentration and mental strength to be able to do that. And there's only one way that you can prepare yourself, and that's to get the mind free and clear and refreshed once you roll back up in here and then from the physical part of that coming up. You can't just be sitting on the couch eating cheetos the whole time. But there are days that are that's okay, it's called cheat daye Yes, I don't want to say cheetos. But but I think also part of part of this time of getting away is that you have days that you break the discipline to treat yourself to something nice. I mean, it's a reward you know, and and I had I had one day a week that I always used to do though really when I when I played during when I was training in the off season, and that I would always pick one day to have something.
Speaker 1: That wasn't great for you, you know.
Speaker 3: And I probably had more than just one a week, but I tried to keep it to one a week, and and it was good because I mean it just again, it kind of allowed you to just be human, you know, instead of this.
Speaker 1: Going back to the Rocky movie, right when Drago.
Speaker 3: This machine preparing and no pizza, no burgers, no ice cream. Wait a minute, Wait a minute. You got to have a little bit of fun. And that's why Rocky was able to beat him by the way he had a little bit of well, he trained in Siberia. It was the tough way. He went to the scenic rout to do it. Yes, you got to be able to you know what I'm saying. You got to have a little bit of mental fun through the whole process and physical fun. We'll get to the off season coming up here in just a little bit. But the final mandatory mini camp practice was today. It was reduced by the time. It was a great crowd out here. By the way, on Wednesday, fans were invited to come out. Doesn't happen. I don't ever remember it happened for a mandatory mini Can.
Speaker 1: We get a number on that?
Speaker 3: By the way, I think capacity I think is right at too, But it felt like there were a lot more people.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people standing around too now.
Speaker 3: Which was cool to see. Which if you made it out here, thanks for coming. It was a great day of practice. Today was shortened a little bit, but the highlight today logs. You always say you look for Travis Hunter first thing I look at. You saw him on both sides of the football today in a single practice for the first time. Yeah, And I don't know if this was the only time that it's actually at least Liam Cohen said on the McAfee show today that it is the first time he's done both in one practice.
Speaker 1: And it was the first time for sure that we had seen. I wasn't for sure.
Speaker 3: So it's good to hear that because you and I were standing there and we were who are we We're talking to Joe cow We're talking to Joe Cower and we're all kind of shooting the breeze, and then all of a sudden, we look out there and we're like, uh, wait a minute, you pointed it out right, He said, hey, By the way, I hate to interrupt the conversation, but Travis Hunters now wearing a white jersey, because he started the practice.
Speaker 1: Out wearing a teal jersey, which is offensive color.
Speaker 3: He was running routes and doing everything on offense and then he flipped it over to the white jersey today and so yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: It was fun to watch. There was a lot of reps, more reps today for the twos and threes today than I think the ones. Yesterday was a day of a lot of reps for the one. But it was fun watching twelve on offense and on defense. And you know, there's a lot of work to be done with his football team. Travis has got a lot of work to do, and it's not anywhere near a finished project, and nor should it look like a finished project at this point. There's still time and uh, they're going to have to have a really good training camp. When you've got a new system, new coaches, new foundation, everything needs to come together in time, and I can't wait to see it come together. Another thing I liked to see today was Brian Thomas Junior back on the practice field after a little bit of a scare on Winds. Went down on his shoulder, walked back on the field yesterday, didn't get back into the work, but then it was back out there and apparently working full today. That's good. When he went down, there was kind of this collective gasp. I guess you could say it practice. And at first when I saw him down, I was like, oh my gosh, is that a knee, you know, because that's your first concern. Is that something you know, crazy happens, non contact or contact, it related, doesn't matter. And he got up and then you could tell that he was walking and had his right arm kind of held tight to his right side, and you're like, okay, it looks like maybe an arm or shoulder or something. He comes out, he went inside for a bit, came out and he's kind of moving around a little bit. So very encouraging that he was out there practice today, you know. And if there's a list of guys as far as don't get hurt on the Jaguars roster, Trevor number one, yeah, quarterback, right, I mean, see what happens when that's happened for the most important position that there is on a foot ball team. Travis Hunter number two, just because I think Travis represents hope, represents hope, and change. Brian Thomas because he's a phenomenal football player. And then you go down to like Josh and Trayvon. I think is as the next two guys, just thinking for the perspective of a guy that you didn't list right there, I know, Wait a minute, I'm not in the I'm not on his list. I'm not guys, a kid be injured, wait a minute. You know, I'm kidding. Everybody else can get her, and I'm just kidding right right now. And then the other positive of the mini camp is complete and there were no injuries to speak of of significance or really anything that I saw myself, I mean, and that's you know, the goal always of the off season is to get better number one and probably one B is to stay healthy. Get any into training camp as healthy as you possibly can.
Speaker 1: So, you know, so I think.
Speaker 3: Some objectives will reach and the work again, there's a lot of work done, but there's still plenty of work to do with this football team. We'll get to the Jags defense coming up in just a little bit, and what you saw this offseason from that group, new scheme, a lot of new faces in the back end of that defense. But we continue on tintin xl Amjaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube and Jaguars Happy Hour with the offense and you know, a lot of focus. You mentioned the quarterback there, he spoke today. We'll hear from him coming up in just a little bit. But it's all about how he handles the offense, how he executes, how healthy he is. He was wearing a black sleeve on his throwing arm today he said, just some general swords and yesterday, Yeah, nothing to really be worried about. But this is obviously a huge season for him coming up. He's got the contract and everything moving ahead, but a new offense, new coaching staff. He's got to start taking steps forward and you know, the next month or so to get ready for training camp or for him too well, and.
Speaker 1: I think in a big way he needs to take a step up.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is at the point of a quarterback's career where you expect to see big gains in his game. The concerning thing to me is that day two of Mini camp was not very good yesterday. Yeah, I felt like the defense had a better day on which I'm okay with the defense having good moments, but I thought Trevor didn't have a good day. And even Liam Collins said he had a lot of balls on the ground. I mean, like, you can't have that in a non contact practice. It shouldn't happen well. And look, there's a lot that goes into the performance of the quarterback. The performance around him also has to be good to allow him to be good. But his feet have got to get better in certain situations. There was one throw in particular in a red zone drill where I mean he didn't even adjust his feet to make a throw and the ball sailed on him. I mean, you got to step into the throws and adjust your feet.
Speaker 1: And he knows that.
Speaker 3: And that's a huge factor with Liam Cohne's offense, and he talked extensively about it ways back in the off season and he realizes it and he's got it to continue to work at it and continue to improve.
Speaker 1: You know, there are.
Speaker 3: Certain quarterbacks that can throw at any which way you want, like Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 1: I mean, his feet aren't perfect all the time.
Speaker 3: But he's got that innate ability just to throw it from different positions in different angles. That's not Trevor. Trevor I think is a quarterback that Look, he's got to be disciplined with his feet to get the best result, you know, And that's just how it is, and he's got to continue to work at it and he will. He's got a great work ethic. And also his receivers need to know where they are need to be as well.
Speaker 1: So there's some moments.
Speaker 3: There was a little confusion as well yesterday going back to yesterday to where it looked like they weren't clean on assignment knowledge, which is you know that happens.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a lot of new players on that side of the ball as well.
Speaker 3: You know, we've we've talked about all these receivers and you know, the running back room and everything. By the way, just let me jump in right there when you mentioned the running back room, that may be one of the most interesting position groups to watch going into training camp. And then also when we get down to the first game and what roles are going to be earned and will it impact the roster, you know, could there be any changes there because you've got a talented room. Yes you do. And the reality is is that that room, once you get past a couple spots, special teams contributions has.
Speaker 1: To be a factor. Well, you look at what they have now.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've got two rookies that were drafted, got Tank Bigsby, Etn. I mean, you got four guys right there that are really good football players as far as running backs go. But is there a special team's capability there? You know, some you might think yay, some you might think nay. So I think that's going to be a really And I say that because I think it's a very talented room, and I think it's going to be very interesting to watch how the roles are earned out of that room. Etn's getting about six and a half this year million in his final year of his rookie contract, the fifth year option season. Of course, Tank Bigsby in year number three out of Auburn. But I think the thing that really stands out about the new guys is the speed a Schultoton especially has that I mean explosive, take it to the house speed from anywhere. If he can hang on to the faseball. Powerful and he's strong and put the one area that he's got to work gone ball security. Ball security. I mean, if there was really the only knock in his game coming out of Virginia Tech was ball security. I think if there were no issues with ball security, then he might have been talked about with the elite running backs that went in the first round and then soon after. So that's something that he has to work on. And earlier today, I was listening to Tom Coughlin on a radio show and he was talking about how he worked with Tiki Barber and solving some of those ball security issues with Tiki, and I think the coaching staff is working very hard with him as well, and it's something that he has to embrace and realize. And so you've got two guys that are in that room, Tank Bigsby. I think it was about one fumble every thirty carries I think so far in his career, not fumbles loss, but fumbles, which that's what matters anyway. So you've got to make sure that those that area with those two guys is cleaned up. We've got plenty ahead we'll return and get into the Jaguars defense over this offseason program, especially the last couple of days, felt like some positives out of that group. Ohough, real good, okay.
Speaker 1: I thought the defense had an outstanding mini.
Speaker 3: Cap I mean really okay, Well we'll dig into that. To me was the bright spot. There's a lot to discuss here. Then I'm excited to hear this from you, all right. That's when we come back on ten XL, Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube. This is the final Jaguars Happy Hour of the offseason. Just there, how you go about his work. You know, he held me out a lot. Like I said last time, I came up here and talking. So just been able to take Thames from him into money game and.
Speaker 4: Part for party game is just I'm I can applaud to my game and make me better.
Speaker 3: It's Travis Hunter after Wednesday's practice, when asked about Brian Thomas Junior and the impact of the Pro Bowl receiver on him so far in this offseason. Welcome Back Jaguars Football is presented by Fresh from Florida. It's always in season. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, JP Shadwick, Jeff Logoman. We're at the Hyundai Studios the Miller Electric Center for the final time in the offseason. Program vacation begins in forty two minutes. We're counting down less than forty two to the dead zones than minutes. You know, it's not really the dead zone. I mean, there are still things that could be happening from a league standpoint, but I was pretty dead though, come on, compared to the other eleven months of the year, you know, I mean, look at yeah, it's pretty dead. But there's still some things that are gonna be interesting to watch. I mean from a league standpoint. I mean, what's gonna happen with Jaylem Ramsey for one? You know? Of uh, are you really that intrigued by that? I am intrigued by that. I think it's going to be very interesting because I don't I don't know if there's going to be anybody out there looking Is he going to play safety for a guy that's gonna cost you that much money and they're talking about trading them to trade, you got to have somebody that's on the other side that wants to take them, you know. So anyway, I think it's just very interesting, and there's there's some other storylines that are going to be kind of an interesting watch. I mean, what's going on in Cincinnati with Shamar Stewart the rookie event, and Cincinnati is trying to shove a clause of the new contract style that nobody in the league uses down the throat of this rookie first round pick. It just goes to show you that the Bengals once again, Yeah, what's the clause, by the way, some type of clause that you can take away future guarantees based on some behavior in one year, which has never been instituted in the National Football League. Does he have a history or something? No, I mean, that's that's weird. I don't I don't get it. As far as I know, he doesn't have any history. Okay, But here's the thing. If you had a problem with the history, okay, don't try to give him a different contract. Don't pick them. There's plenty of other players to pick. Yeah, don't pick the guy you know and anyways, to me, that's interesting.
Speaker 1: But again that's typical typical Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: That's rare now because since the last CBA and everything, a couple of cbas go. Now when everything was slotted, there's no holdouts anymore. Like rookies don't have to hold out for anything, don't have to do with money.
Speaker 1: Nowadays, it's it's just language.
Speaker 3: And it's rarely goes this deep either. No, but I don't think Travis Hunter signed. He has not yet. And there some guys in Schmart stud being one of them, said, look, if I don't have a contract, I'm not going to practice. Which I don't blame any rookie for doing that. I mean that's you know, that's kind of part of their abilities or power. They don't have to practice in a mini camp if they don't have a contract. There are some agents that actually advise their clients not to practice because what happens is something that if a player gets hurt. Now again that kind of goes back to the organization's history. So like if you're with the Bengals, I would be as a rookie less likely to practice without a contract because they may end up trying to give me a lesser contract if I did sustain an injury. Now, the Jaguars have no history of doing that type of behavior, So I would be willing to practice with the Jaguars as a rookie. Remember they when Dante Faller got hurt, If Valor got hurt and rookie Minnie camp had not sign anything yet and gave him exactly So I think history has a lot to do with that. But yeah, it's to me, that's interesting stuff. Jaguars defense, lots of new Anthony Campanelli.
Speaker 1: The Campanelli or is a Campanile.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean that's actually a question that he was asked. He said both.
Speaker 1: He said, I'm good with the either way.
Speaker 3: But it's been it's been fun watching him because I can tell that he brings an energy and a bit of a swagger to this Jaguars defense. You know, and if you go back and if you look at Green Bay's defense from last year, my analysis of them was that, look, that's one of the most disciplined defenses that I've watched all year. I remember preparing for the Jaguars Packers game. I was like, look, they're not going to give you any openings. You've better be on you better be on it. And I think that and I hope that that's a trade that's going to carry over with this team because so far in the offseason you can tell that that is a trade. They're where they want to be, where they need to be, whereas last year we know that that was I think the poorst coaching job in Jaguars history on the defensive side of the ball. And there were more mental breakdowns last year, I think, the most in the league, probably by far the worst performance I thought, in Jaguars history. So it's I think it's going to be easier to get better obviously on that side of the ball. But I like the intensity that he brings. I like the assignment, cleanliness, responsibility, knowledge, all of that is cleaned up and is being cleaned up. How many contested balls have you seen in that three day mini camp by defenders over the ball, which means they're where they need to be, And to me that that has been impressive. So look, and I know it's early, you know, they haven't even played a game yet, but I like what I'm seeing out of out of him as a coordinator and what I'm seeing out of his defense, and the messaging trickles down to the players, of course, and you can hear some of that messaging that's likely being presented in defensive meetings during interviews. One of those is Jarry and Jones this week when you asked about Campany's defense and approach, and he said, quote, whooping someone's ass is the main key end quote. It kind of tells you everything you need to know. You can tell that that that comes from the boss man, because he's got that attitude, you know. And I was telling you this a little bit ago, and you know, I'll share it with everybody on the air.
Speaker 1: You know, I people watch in practice.
Speaker 3: I mean I watch players, but then I also watch how coaches interact, how coaches interact with players with themselves, and it's fun to watch Anthony Campanile or Campanelli, however you want to say it, interact with the players because when he gets them on an individual basis, when they're in Indy, which Indy folks that we call that individual drill, individual periods who'll work with certain position groups and the intensity is like way high. But that's the moment you can do those kind of things. You can't have this super intense red in the face, you know, spit flying out of your mouth. When you're coordinator, you gotta be calm, you gotta be cool, and you gotta be reasonable. He might be burning up inside with all that's going on, but you have to have that outer shell that is calm, you know, and because that's how you want your defense to play. But when he's an individual period with different position groups, you can see the intensity comes out in him in a big way, and it's almost like he has to do that just to kind of get centered, you know a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then when he's.
Speaker 3: Working with the defense, it's that calm, cool demeanor and I love it. What we're on at ten to excel Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube is Jaguars Happy Hour. What is the most intriguing position group that will that you'll watch during training camp? You know, is it a battle for a roster spot, is it a group as a whole? Which one on the defensive side stands out to you the most? Well, I'm always partial to the defensive lineman just because that's kind of was my home for ten years in the league, and so I will watch that group obviously with a little bit more interest. But to me, the safety position is to me the most intriguing one. I mean, if you go down and you look at that position from a roster standpoint. Darnell Savage, Daniel Thomas, Raywan Lane from Navy, Antonio Johnson, Caleb Ransall, draft pick, Eric Murray free agent that was signed Antonio Johnson. I mean, you've got and Winger who is a damn good football player and arguably one of the best special teams players that there is. I think in this league you've got a lot of guys there and you got limited roles. So I think that's going to be one of the most intriguing position group oops, from who's going to start to who's gonna make the roster? I think from both standpoints. Let's think about from the special teams perspective. First, right, you mentioned Wingard, I mean he could be battling for a starting spot on defense.
Speaker 1: And Daniel Thomas.
Speaker 3: Daniel Thomas elite special teams players, outstanding, elite special team And they've said the same thing about Raywan Lane the third, the rookie out of Navy, that that was his ability at Navy and maybe it translates in the NFL also, So those are three right there that just okay, those guys are going to have roles on special teams, you would think, well, and then obviously it goes without saying Travis Hunter, his role you know with the secondary is obviously going to be something that's going to be interesting to watch, you know, But I think it's very important to allow him to excel at one position. I think defense is something that he can he can excel at without getting as many reps as he needs. Needs to probably get on offense because offense is so timing and everything else.
Speaker 1: Related, you know.
Speaker 3: And look, the reality is that the offense needs to kind of find a groove and find a rhythm, and so I think he needs to spend more time on offense and a little less time on defense. But I mean that safety position to me is gonna be really interesting, and corner for that matter. Yeah, a lot of new faces in the secondary. The one guy I thought that had a really good mini camp, Monterrey Brown, thought he had a really good mini camp. I'm also a big fan of DeAndre Prince. I think he's got great man skills, you know. So, I mean, where are those two gonna be at? Jar Ian Jones? How are all these guys gonna end up developing? And obviously the veteran that they signed, Jordan Jordan Lewis. Lewis is a tremendous player. I was gonna say, I've been impressed just the practices I've been out there. I mean, he's a ninth year player. He has a presence about him. He's got a mouth on him. He's not afraid to chirp and kind of keep everybody. But he's not over the top, right, It's a good Yeah, it seems like that is a good tone certain guys. You want him just to shut up, you know what I mean. You're like, dude, can you just shut up? You're talking too much. I will not present any names, but go ahead, But Jordan Louis is not that. I mean, it's a playful, fun, competitive banter, not an annoying, shut the hell up banter. Yeah. And then Tyson Campbell has had tremendous mini camp and this defense suits him to a t. On Wednesday, there was a play. It was red zone in the end zone closest to the grandstand field too, and there was a jump ball back left corner of the end zone Travis Hunter against Jordan Lewis and it was like a perfect ball. Oh yeah, both had a chance at it. Lewis knocks it, by the way, that's a that's a pass and a play that Travis Hunter dominated in college. That's right, that's right, And Lewis made the play on it. And Hunter will get his at some point and I thought that was to me, that was like the play of the mini camp, like, Okay, this kind of tells you where things are right now, and it went the defense's way at least on that day. And that was during And the cool thing is is that during mini camp there were and you and I kind of m seed the practice yesterday a little bit to give the fans an idea of what was happening during certain periods. And they have certain periods that literally the intensity goes up and the players know it, Okay, this is they're keeping score. Okay, offense can win, defense can win. And there's a odd number of plays in each one of these drills, nine to be exact, and so there's a winner at the end of the drill. Highly competitive, highly competitive, And I love this because it's kind of a message from the coaches to the players that are like, okay, now it's time to turn on that that game mindset, ultimate or competitor mindset. And it was good to see that, and it was it was highly competitive. You know, they did it in red zone, they did it in third down, fourth down, over time. It was cool, much different vibe than the Urban Meyer winners losers practice stuff. Remember all that when they used to Yeah, that was that was a different animal altogether. This is good. It was good team competition. It was and I think what it does it creates the the bonding with with groups. You know, offense, okay, make them bond they're competing as as a group, you know, same thing with the offense. And I got to say the defense won. They certainly did. They did. We're back in a moment and we'll get into what coaches and players should be doing for the next month or might be doing. Whether they should or shouldn't your imagination. I don't know. The one thing that I don't want them doing is getting into any kind of trouble. We'll get into that when we return as well. It's into excel Amjaguars dot com, Jaguars YouTube, this is Jaguars Happy Hour.
Speaker 5: We're not really trying to emphasize gap schemes too much because that's when those collisions can occur, when you're pulling people, trapping, whamming, pulling two and that's where a lot of those things that occur that you aren't really supposed to occur in this phase, right, So we're trying to stay within the rules, but continue to get better at the zone game.
Speaker 1: Right. That's obviously a little bit more.
Speaker 5: Of a safe run in this phase, but also something that we want to be able to do.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: Everybody runs zone in the NFL game, So I think today was actually some of our better hits on zone that we've had. Had a couple utter ones yesterday. But I think once you get into training camp, the run game will have to diversify a little bit more in terms of, all right, we got the pads on, where are toss cracks now coming out? I'm not gonna go crack. One of our personal our players on our team.
Speaker 3: Willam Cohen, Jaguars head coach, earlier today discussing the run game practices here in the off season program and how they will change once the heat of training camp is upon us. Welcome back as Jaguars Happy Are. The twenty twenty five season at Daily's Place continues tonight with Vampire Weekend. Flocks.
Speaker 1: Vampire Weekend.
Speaker 3: You remember the movie Step Brothers, Will Ferrell, John c Riley, You ever see that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I never saw.
Speaker 3: The opening song in that movie is done by Vampire Weekend.
Speaker 1: That's a that's a band.
Speaker 3: Yes, Vampire Weekend is a band. I got it, so I need to add that to my Spotify. Sure, okay, what kind of music it's like, it's alternative music. I mean mid to mid late two thousands, I think is when they started. That's tonight anyway. Glass Animals June seventeenth, April, Levine June twenty third, Shania Twain two nights July twenty nine, and thirty Dailiesplace dot com for tickets and show information. Looking forward to those. All right, so off seasons here, you know, this is this is the day where I mean they shortened practice a little bit probably, I think they had some meetings and things after and then there is a stampede to the parking lot to get in the cars to get out of here for some guys, I mean, and there are some guys that are gonna stay here.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: The facility will remain open to players, and the staff will I'm sure kind of handle it from you know, because the staff needs a break to you know, we were talking earlier about how the what the players need to do at this point of the season, but the staff has to be able to prepare their mind and their families for the grind that they're getting ready to undertake here pretty soon too, so they need time away as well. So but yeah, I mean there's a lot of guys that I mean that are like doing what you're talking about as soon as this practice was over and they were done and they were rolling to wherever they wanted to go. But I think the rookies are still in town for another two weeks to continue to work, which is good. But at the same token, you know they're going to need some time away too, because you know, the the from the time the rookies football season ends to when they get drafted and everything that leads up to that, and then right after.
Speaker 1: It's like a whirlwind.
Speaker 3: And look, you don't even know sometimes what day of the week it is or what month it is, and you know, you haven't trained necessarily for football. You were training for all of these drills that we're going to be evaluated from a clock standpoint. So now you need to make sure that you're training yourself to get ready to play football. And I think part of these next two weeks will be a lot of that for them. There will be Liam Cohen, who we just heard from also on the Pat McAfee show today, said he's going on a big golf trip to Scotland coming up I think next week, So the next couple of weeks coaches will have some time as well, and then once kind of mid July hits, they're all back in the fold again, getting ready for the early arrivals rookies quarterbacks and then training camp in late July. Yeah, I mean, look, the coaches, the coaches grind. I mean, the demands of being an NFL coach from a time standpoint and time spent away from family is huge. And so any chance that did they get to travel and spend time with family and to do a phenomenal trip like that to go play golf, I mean, good for him, because once he comes back, it's going to be all business for the foreseeable future. And then the next break he's gonna get it's gonna be you hope after the super Bowl, right after the parade, right you come on? Yeah, yeah, exactly. That'd be great if you could pick one place to go. JP Shattery, Yes, that's me. Okay, you've got an opportunity. Okay, you've got the resources. You know, you're you're pulling in good money, You're you're coach in the Nationals this must be a fictional account.
Speaker 1: But yes, okay, where would you go to your mind?
Speaker 3: Would you go golfing fishing some exotic island with sand and serve? I got a bad risk right now, So golf's out of the golf sasion. Okay, I'm not you know, the beach. We got the beach here, so I'm not necessarily gonna fly two thousand miles to go to the beach when we go to the beach here. I don't really go to the beach here either.
Speaker 1: That's a good question, but that's the question.
Speaker 3: Maybe something that's a little cooler than here, Okay, you know, maybe heading to the north somewhere. Maybe, yeah, because it is we're in a swamp logs and it is hotter than hell.
Speaker 1: Pretty warm, yeah, pretty warm.
Speaker 3: So maybe something to get out of the heat for a couple of weeks. I don't know. Canada, yeah, Canada, Alaska maybe, I mean, last couple of years, been fortunate enough to go to the British Isles right in the summer, right and it's a totally it's like sixty degrees and raining every day, perfect cool, right, love it. Yeah, So I dig that, But I mean, that's that's kind of. I think the mindset. I mean, take your family, take yourself get away, don't lose the edge that you have gained from a training standpoint, and continue to make sure that you're watching what you're putting in your body, because you don't want to start backpedaling and losing ground that you've gained throughout the off season conditioning and OTAs and everything of that nature. So but you got to you got to be able to give the mind a little bit of a break. Well let's ask just the other way. Let's say you had that same situation. What would be your ideal get away? What did what did you like to do during that month? Well, I think from a player's standpoint, you want to be if you're going to go somewhere, you still want to be able to work out to some extent. So that would be a Seriously, you have to, I mean you can't. You can take three or four days and not train, but you can't go somewhere for two weeks and not have have lifted a weight or done some type of conditioning. So the first thing that you think of is that where can I go that I can still accomplish some of my training goals where can I go to still meet some of my dietary restrictions that I have, right, I mean, so a lot of that factors into it. And there are different places that you can go to that have a lot of those amenities that are built in that. Some places that are cooler, some places that are warmer. But it's got to have those those things that I talk about, the ability to train, the ability to have the facilities to accomplish what you want, and also the ability to watch what you're eating.
Speaker 1: All those have to be considered.
Speaker 3: Did you when you played, did you just stick around here and fish for a month? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean who would want to leave this place other than heaven?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, I mean the fishing here in the summertime is just tremendous. At least where I lived at Saint John's Revan was incredible. Sure you know so, I mean yeah, I mean I tried to stay here. And that's the great thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Back in the early days, they actually closed the old stadium up where we trained at. They closed it up. You didn't even have the option of working out inside. They closed it up for a period of time. But now they keep it open for the players.
Speaker 1: Which is a good thing.
Speaker 3: You talked about all the good fishing down at your old place. I mean I went there a couple of times. I didn't catch a damn thing. Well, you're just not very good fishermen. Yeah, sorry, true, yeah, operator reality, it's very true.
Speaker 1: But I mean, look.
Speaker 3: There there there is nothing wrong with a staycation in Jacksonville, I can tell you. But but you know, look, you want to go see family sometimes and uh and then mat me take a take a great trip. Man, reward yourself for the hard work that you've done. It's all good. Let's come back. We'll get our final thoughts in before vacation begins. In about fifteen minutes. This is Jaguars Happy Hour. Some good days.
Speaker 4: Some days were a little sloppier, and that's just that's part of especially a new system, a lot of new guys. Everyone's playing together kind of for the first time for a lot of us. So overall, I thought it was really good. I thought we learned a lot, took some really big steps of improvement throughout OTAs And you know, I'm proud of the guys how they worked. Everyone you know, worked their tail off all off season, really pushed ourselves, you know, there's a lot of times where this is a period where some people can kind of take it easy, and I felt like every day we really came out here, you know, busted our ass and really were intentional about what we were doing.
Speaker 3: Trevor Lawrence, Jaguars quarterback with a sweet headband after practice today, meeting with the media. Full availability at Jaguars dot com and Jaguars YouTube. This is Jaguars Happy Hour from the Honday Studios, the Miller Electric Center, JP Shadwick with Jeff Logoman. Final show until July twenty fourth. I get the impression that you're, you know, pointing out the headband because you're jealous of the flowing locks of Trevor Lawrence. You're not wrong, it's been a long time. You should, you should. I didn't do the show with a bandana. Sometimes I need a lot of things. Logs is what I need. I used to have long hair one time. Actually, did you really high school?
Speaker 1: Did you have a mullet?
Speaker 3: No? I had like long hair, long hair. It was thick, long, everyone was big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you ever have a mullet?
Speaker 3: I did not do you that. I guess that would be a reverse mullet when it's long at the top, short on the size.
Speaker 1: Is that what you had? One of those reverse mullets.
Speaker 3: No, you had a mullet, top had a kick. Yeah, I had a strong mullet. Business in the front, party in the back had a strong mullet. Somebody told me one time, there's a photo of you somewhere walking out shirtless pregame in New York. We had the big ponytail hanging down like pregame warm ups. Did you used to do that? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I may have. I don't know, as might have. There's one guy in his building that always claims that.
Speaker 3: That happened, and we know who that is. Perk would be one of his nicknames. Yeah, yeah, I don't know if there's any validity to what he's saying, but I can say I believe him. You never know, Jack. I was happy I were presented by dream Finders Homes Official home of the Jacksonville Official home builder of the Jacksonville Jaguars. English. Let me try it sometime.
Speaker 1: It's good for you.
Speaker 3: It is. This is the final show before the dead zone. You want to cut the roster now or like you want to wait till training can Here's the deal, Mini Camp is a great time to evaluate some things because there's no pads. I a lot of stars out there right now, and I've learned I've learned, okay over the last thirty six years, okay, of being around the NFL that don't get overly excited about anything from mini camp or the OTAs or anything of that nature. Even in training camp. You know, just just slow down because the pads have to come on. And then there are different levels of achievement of achievement for players. I mean, there's certain guys that you know that they shine through everything OTAs, mini camp, training camp, and then the games when the lights come on, they continue to elevate their game, and there are some that just fall by the wayside because they're not consistent enough, or they're not physical enough, or they're not mentally tough enough. I mean, it's to me, it's the hardest game to play in all of professional sports, because it is it is demanding from a physical standpoint, but most importantly, it's incredibly demanding from a mental standpoint. You have to be mentally tough to play this game, and some guys just can't do it, you know, And some guys will have moments, but the consistency. The great ones have a consistency about them, and then shine through all of that. And so you want to see the whole book, you know, before you start to jump to conclusions a little bit, you know, after a couple chapters. So and especially we haven't seen the big guys hit each other. Ayah, nothing, you know. I mean, like, for example, I'll give you a perfect example. Uh ninety one look unblockable in this mini camp. Okay, okay, Eric, I mean that's great, I'm excited about it. It's cool. But again, okay, let's let's get to the regular season. And Tom Harrison didn't look great at moments, but it's the off season OTAs, Okay, what's he gonna do once we get to camp when it starts to become real. You know. So there are things that you think, but things that you just don't know yet at this time of the year. And then Liam Cohen has talked about that a little while ago. We heard from it. Especially in the run game. You can't run certain ideas is because it's a non contact time of year. You can't even do that well. And you'll start doing it in training camp. Well, and look, you have a set of rules that you've got to go buying from the coaches standpoint, and if you don't follow those rules, then you end up getting fined heavily and also losing maybe some other aspect of your training ability in the future for violating rules that are set out in the collective bargaining agreement. So yeah, so I'm gonna be looking forward very much to training camp because that's when you start to know about a lot of guys like we have. We think, for example, the offensive line is going to be much more competitive.
Speaker 1: They've brought guys in in free agency.
Speaker 3: They've got a couple of them undrafted, one of them drafted. We think it's gonna be better. Well, we've got to wait and see, you know, until the pads come on.
Speaker 1: What do you have?
Speaker 3: Fred Johnson's a giant human being? Is giant human being? Sure, But you know what, a giant human being can't really impose his giantness opponent.
Speaker 1: I'm making it a word.
Speaker 3: Giant can't do that against an opponent at this point of their juncture of the off season. Let's see, by the way I talked with him the other day, he's listed at six seven three twenty six. I don't think he's sixty seven. I think he's I think he's six'. Eight, Really i'm just telling YOU. JP i went up to introduce myself to him and talked with him for five or ten minutes and was asking him, about you, know the natural position that he likes and how many starts he's had at each each. Spot And i'm just sitting there and the person that came to mind because the only player THAT i ever went against in THE nfl to WHERE i was in awe of how.
Speaker 1: Big he, was With Jonathan.
Speaker 3: Ogdenden i'll never, forget never forget the first TIME i ever played against against john AND i was just, like oh.
Speaker 1: My, god.
Speaker 3: This guy is. Legit he's a giant human. Being Fred johnson's that's he's in the same. Category he's the. Second he's the second guy That i've ever been around that is just an absolute and the guy For philadelphia is in the same. Category the left tackle My, Lotta Jordan, mylatta who is the biggest human being of them, all and standing around him is, like oh my, God Fred, Johnson Jordan, mylotta and then of Course Jonathan, ogden three biggest human beings That i've ever been around in. Football my first one of my first years, here we played The patriots And Vince wilfork was one of Those for, ME i was, like oh, boy this is different, Now he's just why really, massive really human. Being Sarah goose a kind of in the same. Category and then the nose tackle that played Alongside.
Speaker 1: Sarah goose uh, Oh Raw Donald, blank really good football player.
Speaker 3: Who was the one in the nineties for The packers who was the nose Tackle gilbert H that guy was Not. Tony gilbert was. HUGE i can't remember his first, name But, gilbert and he was he. Was all you would do is just that and stand. There it's all he had to.
Speaker 4: Do that's.
Speaker 3: It he was a space eater and that you weren't running anywhere with his outstretched arms that he had that.
Speaker 1: COVERED i got this right. Here you just forget Like Sean, Gilbert, sean.
Speaker 3: That sounds, close but it's, Funny like you know on television the players running, around but if you have the opportunity to get close to them or on the sideline or, whatever it's, like all these guys are. Different was. It Sam adams who was next To Sarah goosen might have. BEEN i think it was another just giant human being. Man but for, Real Fred johnson is just a.
Speaker 1: GIANT i think he's.
Speaker 3: Got he's got a, shot, Right so player out Of, florida look watching he isn't you. Know he doesn't have a whole lot of career starts. Now and but when he started For philadelphia and he started at different positions for, them he did a really good, job you. Know and That's, look that's a really good offensive. Line and they have a standard that they, set you, know so when you join that, rank, okay it's understood we're, here you. Know so if you're, playing you need to be here at this level with. Us and so when you have a room and a group like, that they demand that you play to their. Level and that's one of the best offensive line coaches, too exists In. Philadelphia and if you if you can develop that mindset, here that would be, outstanding would Be.
Speaker 1: That's the.
Speaker 3: GOAL i, mean, look that's the. Goal he's still going to answer a lot of questions in training. Camp you know who's going to be out there. First, well then that's it's. Competitive it's going to be very competitive along the offensive line this. Year and AND i think there's also going to be some interesting where interesting from the standpoint of where are guys going to find a? Home you know it from you Because patrick, McCary for, example you, know is he going to be right? Guard could he play left right? Tackle you, know you had a couple of guys moving in and out of, there you. Know SO i think it's going to be an interesting. Watch they got to be, better, THOUGH i can tell you, that and they got to learn how to run the.
Speaker 4: Ball.
Speaker 1: Man the last couple of years with.
Speaker 3: This, OFFENSE i think that was one of the biggest downfalls to this offense In jacksonville was the lack the lack of ability to run the ball when he needed to run, it and short yardage was like right at the top of for perfect examples to what they couldn't. DO i, mean the last two, years the third, down third and short running game was. Terrible it's. Awful it was like it felt like third and five all the. Time AND i think the mindset was that the run was kind of an. Afterthought it's gotta, change all, Right, logs great off, Season enjoy your few weeks. Away we'll talk to you in training. Camp Happy Early Father's.
Speaker 1: Day thank, You thank, you and tell your popsh happy.
Speaker 3: FATHER i think you just Did jeff logo And i'm J. P, Shadick Joe, FORTUNE i, Oh Brent, reeber our entire. Crew thanks to you for watching and. Listening It's Jaguars Happy. Hour