Speaker 1: I'm a homegrow that knows a little bit about everything and everybody.
Speaker 2: You know, if you don't lie about that, right, Lauren came in.
Speaker 3: Hey, y'all, what's up.
Speaker 1: It's Laura l Rosa and this is another episode of the Latest with Laura l Rosa. This is your daily dig of all things pop culture, entertainment, news, and all of the conversations that shake the room.
Speaker 3: Baby.
Speaker 1: So checking in behind the scenes of the ground. You guys know, we did the photo shoot. I've been telling you guys or keeping you just along the journey with me behind the scenes as I'm like I was gonna say, like building the business side of it, but like it's been there, I think now I'm just.
Speaker 3: Not elevating it. I'm I'm leveling it up.
Speaker 1: We're leveling up the business side of the business when it comes to the podcast. You know me as talent and just really learning how to like be in a talent space, so you know, one of the things that is required or images and photos and all the things. And we used to do a lot of photo shoots when I had more time. Now I'm always just trying to focus on making sure my quality of my work is good that I kind of don't even take the time to also pop out, you know, with the new photos and the photo shoots and the brand deals and all that stuff. But I'm literally at the point now, y'all where it's not a thing of a my questioning am I really supposed to be here? Which is weird because I didn't start off that way. It just slowly crept up on me, and I was fighting that for like three months. It's not that though, not that at all. Now, it's just a thing of you only get a set window to make mistakes and what I do, so I'm always focused on, like, is the work right, Am I making mistakes or not? And in order to do that, a lot of times me and the things that I personally want to do outside of what I'm reporting and the information I'm trying to get right take such a back burner. I'm learning how to balance, I'm learning how to bob and weave. Okay, So this weekend we did that photo shoot. We actually did some of it at the Breakfast Club studio, which is cool because my little brother, he shot a lot of the behind the scenes and was able to come to the Breakfast Club studio. He's been here, but he's never been in the studio, so that was cool and just to you know, be working with him and have.
Speaker 3: Him on the team.
Speaker 1: So we do have some of the audio just from behind the scenes of the photo shoot, conversations you guys will hear me kind of like going through and giving instruction a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I think that this is like a whole new era of walking into the room like God sent you there. That's like it doesn't send to me, y'all be in a business woman. And the thing about this is like whenever I see these lists of like the top paid podcasters and you know, Forbes doing list on you know, podcasters who are dominating the money that they're making, and you know, like those type of lists. One of the things that I always ask questions about, and normally it's to Charlomagne, is what sets these podcasters apart from all the other people that pack the mic. And what I notice a lot of is the business, like the infrastructure that they've built around them, like podcasting and turn it on these microphones, and the talent of it is literally one part I think sustaining even if you never you know, even if the growth is never vertical, right, And I mean like that means you hit a spot and you're good. You're able to provide for yourself people know about the show is doing everything you needed to do, but it never goes up from there. There is a business model that is needed in the infrastructure that is needed around your voice and your talent so that you'll be able to sustain that. Now, I don't want to hit a plateau and hit a ceiling and look up and be like, dang, I can't Like I want to always feel my business model needing to grow, the pivot needed to happen, and understand that. But I say that to say, those podcasters who are able to sustain on very high levels, they have this understand all of.
Speaker 3: It works together for the greater good.
Speaker 1: And I'm teaching myself that, And I'm also teaching myself that it is okay for me to be thinking like that in this era of my life, because when you are a person who is having conversations about people and things in a journalistic way, you're not the story, Like I've never been the story for real. But if you building a talent, if you're building a personality, if you're building a podcast, with a community that listens to you daily and grows with you. I'm here, I'm letting y'all lan We're doing this thing. So yeah, this is one of many to come. I'm also really proud of the team that I've built, Like that was one of my biggest takeaways after this weekend as well too. It's like I have a really really strong team. We're all learning and growing and young and excited, but we're getting We're doing what we.
Speaker 3: Need to do.
Speaker 1: Everybody's performing on the level that we need to perform on for this to elevate and what it's going to do. So you guys will see some of those images soon. We have some big announcements coming up that we'll be using those for, and of course across social So yeah, make sure you guys are following me everywhere. Laura le Rosa l O r E N l O R O s A. Now let's get on into the latest. Now, speaking of journalism or personalities, Tracy Ellis Rass is having a conversation. I know that we had this conversation often about why girlfriends did not get there just do when the show was at its peak. She actually calls out Jay Leno during this conversation, let's take a listen.
Speaker 2: Never had thought no talk shows, no Tonight Show, no David Letterman, no, no Emmy's. Had never been to the Emmy line, had never been.
Speaker 3: To anyone, never on a late night show.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, I have a story. It was Jay Leno and I had girlfriends and the comment was we love Tracy call Us when she at something and oh yeah, And I was like, I remember thinking, get what, like, what else do you have to get? I don't know, and it just was not we love her, but it was not considered. And the other thing was I remember this. I remember specifically the show Monk. Do you remember that that show had a quarter of our viewership?
Speaker 3: A quarter of our viewership?
Speaker 2: And I remember seeing him on the show, and I was so confused, and I was like, I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Is it viewership?
Speaker 2: And the only thing you can boil it down to you're like, is it just racism?
Speaker 3: Like I don't, like, I'm not sure how to like, how do you categorize it?
Speaker 2: Like I don't know what it is. I never went to the Emmys. The first time I went to the Emmys was on Blackish.
Speaker 3: Yoh, this is crazy. Yeah, this is like, this is to me, this is mind blowing.
Speaker 5: So yeah, because they they all existed in the same Yeah, and ignorantly.
Speaker 2: Because we were in South Africa.
Speaker 5: We're just watching this going these are all the same, they all occupy the same level.
Speaker 2: So interesting.
Speaker 3: I've never heard that.
Speaker 1: I would be honest with y'all, like, I'm a huge fan of the show Girlfriends. I love mar brockyck Kill, I love all the cast of Girlfriends, and I know so many of the like behind the scenes stories, like I've heard Tracy alas Strauss talk about having to like literally fund a lot of her own wardrobe and them having to borrow the clothing from each other. I've heard Mar brocka Kill talk about that as well. I've you know, heard the conversations about more money being needed to ever bring Girlfriends back in the right way. Today, Mark brock Kill was just on a breakfast club talking about that. But this was the first time that I heard, you know, some of the specifics around, like even the promotion of the show and what did not go well. And I think what was so surprising for me is Girlfriends has always been a huge show to me, Like I've never felt like there was any promotion or you know, marketing not there because by the time, like by the time I came, I got to age where I could understand the show and what it meant to us, and it was already like this iconic, like historic piece of culture, you know what I mean, Like the Girlfriend's cast literally the symbolism of them is such an embedded iconic piece of culture. And for all of the time that I can remember, it was that I've only ever heard stories about the other stuff. So hearing her talk about Jay Lennon and I'm like, you know, Jay Little during his time was one of the biggest late night talk shows. How do you not have the biggest with the biggest And I'm like, okay, putting things into perspective, they weren't treated that way.
Speaker 3: And a lot of it too.
Speaker 1: I've heard people have conversations about sex and the city in comparison to girlfriends and how you know, designers and fashion houses would throw clothing at sex in the city because these were white women living these lives and it was so much more believable that they could do it versus the black women.
Speaker 3: But yeah, pretty interesting to hear one of the things for me too.
Speaker 1: That I always think about when it comes to the Girlfriend's cast and remake and the things that didn't happen for them, is what would have been the ending of the show if all of that had actually gone right, right, Like if they had been able to stay on for more seasons, if they had gotten the budgets that they needed to you know, build in the wardrobe the way that they wanted to continue the things that they were doing. I mean, we've even asked for their not to even be a full like second part of the series, but to just bring in like even if they did, like Sex and.
Speaker 3: The City did two movies.
Speaker 1: Before they brought back an actual you know, and just like that Sex and a Series TV show. We've asked for even if it just one Girlfriend's movie, so we could get the closure of the cast and the stories. I always wonder like what would that be, Like, what would be the storyline, especially in today's time, like there's so much to be talked about. These women have lived so much life. Marl Brock I killed, you know, genius writer and brains behind the show has done so much. Would that be and why y'all let me know? I mean, I have my idea. I think at this point, you know, some of the things that didn't end the best, like people's love lives, careers, shoot Lynne, just finding a home of our own. Some of those things, of course would be answered. But you know, I feel like what the Girlfriend's show, the beauty of it was like there was those small things and simple things on the top, but at the crevices of it, there were these really deep conversations that like women, like especially as a black woman, we felt like yeah, girl, yes, like thank you for saying it.
Speaker 3: What would be the thank you for saying it?
Speaker 1: Of twenty twenty six for The Girlfriend's Cast, Shifting gears a bit. Speaking of journalism and conversations, nab j Okay had a conversation about Steven A. Smith, not even had a conversation, but they started a conversation about Stephen A.
Speaker 3: Smith.
Speaker 1: So NABJ and then Association of Black Journalists, which is an organization full of journalists journalists of color. It is actually the largest organization for journalists of color in the United States. So this organization supports thousands of black media professionals, students, educators worldwide. They do, you know, they advocate for journalists in the space, there's training, they do a bunch of career fairs. When I was in college, NABJ in this conference that they have every year was such a thing because not only could you go and literally rub elbows with some of the biggest black journalists across all spaces, so whether they were working at black outlets or not black outlets, but you go and try to get a job, whether it was an internship, a job job, from local news to sports to entertainment.
Speaker 3: All of the black journalists.
Speaker 1: This is like our homecoming ceremony, right, like you know, homecoming to HBC. You everybody come back. Everybody there on the yard, having a good time. You can run into everybody. Nabj's conference or nearly annual conference, the big one that they do, because they do a ton of differ stuff the year. It's kind of like the homecoming a black journalist. So during this year's during this year's award show, they did a rendition of their Thumbs Down Award and they gave it to Stephen A. Smith, which has sparked some conversation. Let's take a listen to Steven A. Smith receiving that award. He was not there, but this is a video of them presenting him the award.
Speaker 4: Stephen A. Smith, sports analysts and political commentator, Smith has established a recurring public pattern of disparaging commentary directed at prominent Black women across politics, sports, and media. Such commentary reinforces harmful narratives, undermines the fair and respectful representation of Black women in public discourse, and stands in direct conflict with nabj's long standing commitment to accurate, responsible and inclusive portrayals of Black communities.
Speaker 1: So the thumbs Down Award, per the nabj's website, is presented to an individual organization for especially insensitive, racist, or stereotypical reporting, commentary, photography, or cartooning about the Black community, or for engaging in practices at odds with the goals of NABJ. Nabj's goals, as I just mentioned to you guys, are to advocate, to educate, to uplift, and to further black journalists the spaces that we work in and what we're able to do. So this all comes following a lot of the comments that Stephen A. Smith had about Jasmine Crockett, black woman. I mean, everybody should know who jasminc Crockett is, but black woman in the political space who he I don't know, like he got a little crazy when it came to some of the things that he was saying about her. Let's take a listen to some of his comments on Jasmine Crockett.
Speaker 5: When I point to a Jasmine Crockett is because here's what I know. All I ever hear her doing is going off about Trump, ladies and gentlemen. Can I tell you what my belief is, I have no desire to be a politician. Let me reiterate that. And I appreciate House Leader Democratic Leader Hakim Jeffrey speaking to me in the way that he did by saying that I speak with the frustration of the American people, because you damn right, I do. Let me tell you what gets me annoyed. And I hope Jasmine Crockett is listening to this, by the way, she's welcomed on the show. When you go on national television and you call him the President of the United States out of his name and you being all disrespectful as a representative in this country, do you believe the citizens of Texas sent.
Speaker 2: You there to do that.
Speaker 5: They don't like him either. I'm talking about those who voted for her in all likelihood, But because he is who he is and he is in that position, they expect you to go to Capitol Hill and figure out a way to maneuver yourself through that terrain, to work in a fashion that's gonna facilitate get things done on behalf of your constituents.
Speaker 6: That's your job. That's your job, extus my language on serious except but it ain't your job to say he ain't shit, he ain't worth a damn.
Speaker 3: That's not your job.
Speaker 6: Ain'ybody to do that.
Speaker 5: He's a deal maker. And if you figure out a way to make him look good in any way, quick pro quote is something he lives by here reciprocate if you know that, why you can't figure it out?
Speaker 1: Gord, Now, that was the one that really takes people off. And I think the reason why I take people off is because you know, there's always this conversation when you're a journalist, you're black. You're black in any space, whether you're not a journalist, you could be a freaking electrician.
Speaker 3: No matter what you are.
Speaker 1: When you're black, there's always a conversation about like the politics of the room and how you should navigate the politics of the room, whether it's how you're speaking, what you're saying, how honest and real you can get. So, you know, people didn't like to hear Steven and say that because especially with Jasmin Crockett, because one of the things for me, like I'm not a person who like is die hard politics. I follow things because my life is impacted by it and just because I like to know what's going on. But what I always loved about Jasmin Crockett and still love to say about her is the fact that she cuts through. Like I think, you know, like people get tired of hearing politicians talk to politics to them. And when I say that, I mean, like not everybody wants to hear about the promises and the things you're going to do and go out and vote. Some people need to hear yo. Stuff is really fed up right now and here's exactly why. And they want to see people be called out for the wrongs that are happening. I honestly think that a young, sharp, cut through voice like a Jasmine Crockett and a building an army of those and actually having them supported across the Democratic Party, I think that would kind of change the way that politics are set up to not be for us by us. Like if you think about like what Donald Trump has been able to do in this time, I think the biggest thing is that he don't care and I don't does he not care about what he's saying how he say it? So it cuts through because people were like, Okay, you're talking straight to me. He goes anywhere to do it, Like he's on podcasts that like a normal regular person is listening to just for shits and giggles or just for their best commentary, not even for politics, Like he's meeting people where they are, And the respectability politics thing never works well. Our sins well with black people because I you know, I mean it's deep rooted. It goes back to racism, it goes back to you know, there's colorism that comes into it. There's you know, proximity to whiteness, and there's a lot right like we've been through four hundred plus years of trying to figure out not even trying to figure out. We've been through four to five hundred years of people having conversations about what we could have done to make sure that certain things didn't happen to us, and the reality of it is it's no matter how much you do, no matter how much you look, no matter what you say, You're still black. These things are still real, these things are still apparent, are still happening. And Steven A. Smith in his brand and to me, like, again, I don't watch sports, but I like Steven A. Smith because he's not afraid to say he's not And I like people who talk like that because I believe you it's real.
Speaker 3: So for him to.
Speaker 1: Go across the room and then tear down Jasmine Crockett at a time where Trump was also like the right, like the wrong, people in this conversation were already doing that, and I think that's a lot of what it was as well too. I think that there is a way for him to I don't think that everybody has to agree. I don't think that he has to love how she does things, but I do think that there's a way that you talk about another black person, especially a black woman who was literally the target of so many attacks because of what she's doing. You don't get, to my opinion, you don't get on your platform and demean her in the way that he did.
Speaker 3: And he came back and apologized. He heard some people out.
Speaker 5: Let's say, listen, I wanted to take a moment because I saw something disturbing in regards to President Donald Trump and how he came at Representative Jasmine Crockett, and I wanted to take this opportunity to attack this issue as it attained to me in Jasmine Crockett, because I personally have had an issue with how things have been misconstrued and misinterpreted. But at the end of the day, I have to own it. And that's what I'm going to do today. And so when somebody says to me, Stephen, rather than point to her and her verbiage and her language and how she talked about the president, what about how he talks. I have no problem with that. I can understand that. And if that is the reason that everybody is in an uproar, that is fine. And I have no problem apologizing to that to my sister, because damn it, I want her to know I don't feel that way about her, just like I didn't feel that way abou Kamala Harris, just like I don't feel that way about the marvelous, the wonderful, the incomparable, the greatest first Lady ever in Michelle Obama in my estimation or anybody else. But what we're gonna do on this show is understand who the hell I am and how it's gonna be. As long as I'm doing this show, I have no problem apologizing if I'm wrong. I have no problem apologizing if I've made somebody feel a certain kind of way. But I'm gonna challenge the legitimacy of what people come at with at me with when I think that challenge is warranted and deserved. If you came to me and you said to me that it came acrourd as a bit dismissive, Steven, you should have been more protective of her than that, because look at how he speaks, look at how they act on Capitol Hill towards her. I understand that, But when somebody tries to take that to accused me of being disrespectful or in any way misogynistic, I'm going to push back on that because that's emphatically false. There's no truth to that whatsoever, and I'm not accepting that and I'm not owning that.
Speaker 1: But I don't think that we stop his conversation. I think that there is a way to have a difference of approach in a conversation about it. And even with this, I saw some people saying that it was messed up that the NABJ basically targeted him in this list of people that they gave this thumbs down award too right, because he wasn't the only one that received the award. Brandon Carr, the FCC chairman, was called out as well. Dewa McCoy, the City of Circle City Broadcasting CEO, also included CBS News because of all of their like structural things that are happening with that merger and you know, people losing shows, basically them trying to control or from what it looks like from the outside looking at them, from what it appears, trying to control the way that news is reported to not be as fair across the board, which is what we're talking about in the Washington Post. So, you know, I can understand people being like, well, Dan, y'all gonna throw steven A. Smith on that list like he's one of ours. But at the same time, again, I feel like people can disagree. I feel like you can call out, you can disagree, but I do think that there's a way that you go about it.
Speaker 3: Now. Steven A.
Speaker 1: Smith responded to this, and I'm sure he will be responding more in depth on his platform as well. He says, the NABJ wants to call out folks. Fine, you had your turn, now mine is coming. I don't know what do y'all think fair or not. I think receiving this award does give him some time to reflect about how his words are hitting people that look like him. But I don't know if he really like not that he doesn't care about his people that is. That's one of the things that I don't like when I hear people say about Steven A.
Speaker 3: Smith.
Speaker 1: I work with an organization called I'm ambassador for organization called HBCU Week shout out to Ashley Christopher. It's a Delaware based organization, but they send students two and through college like no other. I mean millions and millions of dollars in scholarship money. I just went to the gala this year where Steven Asmith was there and he spoke and we talked about it here on another episode of The Latest with Lauren Rosa. He has been such a force for that organization, and reason being is because whenever you have something like that where you're trying to get money for black people and black students.
Speaker 3: You need somebody that people are going to listen to. You need the star power.
Speaker 1: And not only does he not only is he a force for the organization, he shows up like I mean, he's at every gala, He's doing media for them, he's traveling for them. He just created another extension of a show across some of his platforms that he does, and he put Ashley on that show that where they discuss topics and stuff. So people need get to know her and know more about what she does. And you know, I know I've seen him do first take from HBCUs as well too. He was at my HBCU Delaware Set University. I don't think is that he doesn't care, but as people when people try to make you know, these isolated comments that I do think though some of the some of the stuff that he says, in my opinion, it is off it's off balance, Like I don't agree with it, and it's okay, y'all for us not to agree. But was this award wrong? Was NABJ as an organization that is supposed to understand like, yeah, they do all this advocacy, they do all these things NABJ is an historic, amazing organization that should be mentioned as such. But if you are an association of journalists, you should also understand people don't always agree, and we should be able to have conversations across the room, across the table. Let me know what y'all think. Were they wrong? Were they right? Because you know from what they're saying. This award is being awarded to Stephen A. Smith, sports analysts and political commentator because he has established a reoccurring public pattern of disparaging commentary directed at prominent Black women across politics, sports, and media. Such commentary reinforces harmful narratives, undermines the fair and respectful re presentation of Black women in public discourse, and stands in direct conflicts with nabj's long standing commitment to accurate, responsible and inclusive portrayal of black communities. They said that in a statement following this award, and you know everybody having a conversation about it. Let me know what you guys think. I'm Laura l Rosa. This has been another episode of the Latest with Laura La Rosa. I tell you guys, every single episode, y'all could be anywhere with any old body talking about all of the things, but y'all choose to be right here with me, my Lowriders, I see you in my next one.