Speaker 1: Sir, I traversed this day by steamboat the space between London and Hungerford Bridges between half past one and two o'clock. It was low water, and I think the tide must have been near the turn. The appearance and the smell of the water forced themselves at once upon my attention. The whole of the river was an opaque, pale brown fluid. In order to test the degree of opacity, I tore up some white card into pieces, moistened them so as to make them sink easily below the surface, and then dropped some of these pieces into the water at every pier the boat came to. Before they had sunk an inch below the surface. They were indistinguishable, though the sun shone brightly at the time, and when the pieces fell edgeways, the lower part was hidden from sight before the upper was underwater. Near the bridges, the feculents rolled up in clouds so dense that they were visible at the surface even in water of this kind. The smell was very bad and common to the whole of the water. It was the same as that which now comes up from the gully holes in the streets. The whole river was, for the time a real sewer. Having just returned from out of the country air, I was perhaps more affected by it than others, But I do not think I could have gone on to Lambeth or Chelsea, and I was glad to enter the streets for an atmosphere which, except near the sinkholes, I found much sweeter than that on the river. I have thought it a duty to record these facts, that they may be brought to the attention of those who exercise power or have responsibility in relation to the condition of our river. There is nothing figurative in the words I have employed, or any approach to exaggeration. They are the simple truth. If there be sufficient authority to remove a putrescent pond from the neighborhood of a few simple dwellings, surely the river which flows so many miles through London ought not to be allowed to become a fermenting sewer. The condition in which I saw the Thames may perhaps be considered as exceptional, but it ought to be an impossible state, instead of which I fear it is rapidly becoming the general condition. If we neglect this subject, we cannot expect to do so with impunity, nor ought we to be surprised if ere many years are over, a hot season gives us sad proof of the folly of our carelessness. I am, sir, your obedient servant. M. Faraday, Royal Institution, July seventh, eighteen fifty five.
Speaker 2: There's just so many good parts.
Speaker 3: There's so many good parts, suculents.
Speaker 2: The smell was very bad.
Speaker 3: The smell was very bad.
Speaker 1: Like I have no more synonyms for feculentce and so I'm just gonna have to go with the sheer reaction of very.
Speaker 3: Bad, very bad, very.
Speaker 2: Bad, I mean. And also this is not an exaggeration. Oh, I am not being figurative with it.
Speaker 3: There is no figurative language in this, Sir.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it so much.
Speaker 3: I love it too.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it. It's ridiculous and it will.
Speaker 1: I will touch more on the specific situation that this became the center focus of in this episode.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be great. And I already said in the first hand where that came from.
Speaker 3: M Fara day There you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, Hi, I'm Aaron Welsh and I'm Aaron Aman update.
Speaker 3: And this is this podcast will kill you.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Poop Part two two.
Speaker 3: Poop number two, number two. We're way too pleased with ourselves. But we just think we're so clever we do Okay.
Speaker 1: So, if you have not tuned into the first episode in this Poop series, Part two, part series, uh, do it?
Speaker 3: Do it? You know, what are you waiting for?
Speaker 2: Listen to it. You don't have to.
Speaker 1: Listen to it in order, but it will make sense. It will still make sense, but you should do it.
Speaker 2: It's a great episode. I'm really proud of it.
Speaker 3: You're going to learn a lot, just like you will in this episode.
Speaker 1: So last episode we went over a sort of how we make poop and why poop is actually a gold mine rather than like the waste that we presently view it as. Right, and today we're gonna go over what happens when our poop doesn't go to plan right and I guess yes, and also why poop is actually gross and what we do.
Speaker 2: About it the flip side of the coin.
Speaker 3: You know, poop is many things.
Speaker 2: It is so many things.
Speaker 3: Poop contains multitude.
Speaker 2: It really does it, really truly truly does ed Young Thank you. Yeah, it's gonna be a great episode. I'm really excited about it. But first at first, it's quarantiny time.
Speaker 3: What are we drinking this week?
Speaker 2: Same thing we drank last week? Drink number two, the drink number two. Are actually drinking water, which is also important for your poop. But it is you want to drink a quarantiny. It's poo number two, it's poop number two, it's I drinking number two.
Speaker 3: We keep saying that, Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, uh it's It's basically a chocolate mint. It's great. It's pretty easy to make.
Speaker 2: You can do it at home, as you can.
Speaker 3: With all of our quarantines.
Speaker 2: Iway assume we'll post the full recipe for that quarantine on our social media channels. Are you following us there? Because you should definitely check it out and follow.
Speaker 1: You should You should our website which we may be putting quarantini stuff on. Maybe we'll try that out tonight. You know, you can find other things though. You can find so many things. You can find transcripts, you can find links to our bookshop dot org affiliate page, our Goodreads list, which needs some updating, links to music by Bloodmobile, first hand account form, contact us form sources for each and every one of our episodes. It was like I know it starts with an S and also YouTube videos.
Speaker 3: You can find links to that.
Speaker 2: Including this one, which we are very excited to be bringing you from the Exactly Right Network Studios. Yes, yes, yeah, the end, the end.
Speaker 1: Follow us on YouTube, follow us on social media, check out our website.
Speaker 3: On the rag, on the rag, what are we?
Speaker 2: Let's just do it.
Speaker 3: Let's just do it. H okay, fantastic. Let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: And then you'll tell us about poop. Sewers, sewers, give it to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, poop is gross.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's a sentence that you wrote down upset.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I was like, how do I start?
Speaker 2: This is gross?
Speaker 3: Poop is gross.
Speaker 2: It is grody.
Speaker 3: It is it is. There is no getting around it.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, yeah, we can talk about how important it is as a resource. We can break it down into like what makes up poop? How do we make poop? Everyone poops? Pooping is not shameful? Yeah no, I'm behind all that. Yeah, the fact remains, poop is.
Speaker 3: Grossss It's gross. After all.
Speaker 1: It can contain pathogens, or it can signal your presence to a predator, or it can attract flies that lay eggs that hatch maggots. Speaking of which, if you are tuning in to the YouTube, we have maggot art.
Speaker 3: We do laid yes, multiple yeah, anyway, yeah, you can see it. It's incredible.
Speaker 1: But maggots are also you know, It's just it is what.
Speaker 3: It is, poop.
Speaker 1: The disgust that poop evokes in us is probably evolutionarily ingrained because we don't want to be near it, you know. It's that it's all again, the pathogens, all that stuff, and this aversion that we feel for poop. It's not new, right, It's not a product of our modern sanitation system or like a remnant of prudish Victorian sensibilities. It's yeah, right, it's not just like it is.
Speaker 3: It is normal to feel disgusted by poop.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Charles Darwin even called disgust one of the six universal universal emotions.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so.
Speaker 1: And this disgust for poop it's not specific to humans. Many animals go out of their way to avoid poop, like having designated latrines far away from their burrows, or grazing only in areas uncontaminated by poop. This was a real issue in Australia after the poop calcul accounted. Yeah, because they were like, I'm not I'm not eating million tons right, yes, yes, every year.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: For much of human history, poop didn't pose too much of a logistical issue for humans, right. We were living in small groups, we were moving around a bunch. It was a simple matter to just like, oh, the you know, the call of nature, and you just take a little step.
Speaker 2: Away from the grow away you poop.
Speaker 1: Oh actually you didn't go away from the necessarily. Yeah, but it wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Have mattered all that much because you were going to move on. You were going to move someone else's problems.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And that is how giardia is everywhere, and now it's all of our problem. But yeah, so and also in addition to like it not being a huge issue in terms of like having to constantly be around your own poop, you're moving on, and our poop was an essential part of that nutrient cycle and seed dispersal.
Speaker 3: You know, you eat some berries here, you walk for a while, you poop over there. Now you got a newberry bush. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then it was also not just seeds for you know, berry plants. It was also we're providing material for decomposers we're fertilizing the ground. It's the typical circle of poop like we talked about. But then, of course humans begin to live in larger groups and for longer periods. We developed agriculture, we bred livestock, we built permanent settlements, and poop became a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We used as much as we could to fertilize crops aka night soil. We dug poop pits on the fringes of our settlements. We designated communal pooping areas. We pooped on riverbanks and near stream so that the water would wash the pool away and out of sight. But every fix proved to be a temporary one. As human populations grew and grew, pit toilets filled to the brim, poop shoots didn't always extend to the cesspit that collected sewage.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry, sorry, A poop shoots a real thing? Is that?
Speaker 3: It technical that I don't know. I was just imagining like a tube, you know, what they use for construction exactly.
Speaker 2: I always thought your poop shoot was your butt.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I think that that's like the idea of a multiple meanings shoot.
Speaker 2: Like that was a thing they really had.
Speaker 3: I mean, there were I'll get into it, okay.
Speaker 1: But yes, there were pipes more or less that you know, or they would be uncovered essentially gutters gutters, poop gutters, but poop shoot just sounds better.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then there were indoor chamber pots that required frequent emptying at locations not within a quiet or a quick walk.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: This was there were a lot of different ways that poop just you can't. You turn your back and suddenly there's a massive.
Speaker 2: Pilot's another that you have to do. Of course. Yeah, it's just like laundry.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it is. I'm like, dais it is just like laundry. Okay.
Speaker 1: So to put the poop overload into perspective, let's consider Canosos, which is the largest city of the Minoan civilization, older than ancient Greece, located on the island of Crete. Around its peak, say seventeen hundred BCE, there were one hundred thousand people.
Speaker 3: Living in Canosis, each pooping every.
Speaker 1: Day, of course, well on average, for a total of fifty tons of poop per day.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a lot of poops.
Speaker 1: Even in seventeen hundred BCE, that's a lot of poopy and it, of course, pales in comparison to what the city of New York makes in a single day today. And I singled out New York because that is where the data are available. Okay, so poop and pee combined to about twelve hundred tons or two point for million pounds daily, every day, every.
Speaker 2: Day, two point four million pounds of waste from our bodies.
Speaker 3: Does it waste? Though, Aaron, I thought we learned that it wasn't.
Speaker 2: It's a synonym for poop and pea, turds, turds and p. We can't forget pee, we can't forget the p.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a substantial portion, is yeah, Okay, so it's it's it's not New York today, but you could you could see why it would quickly become a pressing matter immediately an effective solution for the minoans.
Speaker 3: That solution turned out to be water.
Speaker 1: A handful of engineering minded individuals realized the power of water as transportation, and they devised water supply systems that piped in rain water to flush toilets toilets.
Speaker 2: They had flushing toilets in seventeen hundred BC.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, I mean so the toilets were pretty much like localized to the Minoan civilization. Okay, And but they were not just in palaces, like they started out just in palace. But yeah, I mean, and it wasn't like continuous supply. You had to you know, dump in you've ever been somewhere, you had to dump in waters to the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like that.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's so cool. And then they had pipes, I mean.
Speaker 1: And also the seats were like really wooded and splintery looking.
Speaker 2: For sure, I mean, where did the poop go?
Speaker 1: Okay, So the water flushed the poop out of the building and down into the sewers that ran into the streams that ran into the sea.
Speaker 2: So it was all just sort of like connect yep.
Speaker 1: And since then the world has never been the same.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And remarkably, four thousand years later, those drains still function perfectly after a large rain shower.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 3: They still wash? They still washed right down like to the streams to the sea. Yeah.
Speaker 1: For thousands of years now, though, we have used water to do our dirty work, separating us from the poo that we produce, so that we don't have to look at it or smell it or have it contaminate the water that we use the invention of flush toilets and sewers, which were all we'll talk about the modern flush toilet, because this wasn't one that was like, this.
Speaker 3: Didn't go everywhere. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: They has saved countless lives and it has made our day to days much more pleasant. Right, But in allowing us to flush and forget, we have become divorced from the reality of poop, not as a waste product, but again as a resource.
Speaker 3: From those first splintery.
Speaker 1: Wooden Minoan toilets to the seat warming, water spraying high tech toilets of today, we've been moving poop from here to way over there, radically upsetting the balance of nutrients like phosphorus and nitrogen across the landscape. And just as the early Minoans confronted the mounting poop problem in their city and devised a solution, we finally seem to be coming to terms with the fact that it's time for a new solution, or a suite of solutions to contend with our growing poop issue, our cacatastrophe.
Speaker 2: I can't let that one good it was in the moment it was it was.
Speaker 1: We have proof of that. We didn't take a break, and then edit that out brain store. Now it sounds like we did, but we really didn't. So what I want to do now is take us through how we've dealt with our poo and pee and other liquid waste throughout history, and how a change in how we think of and deal with poop is really the only path forward. The Minoans were not the first or the only group in the ancient world to devise ways to manage the sewage that was produced in large cities. Around the same time, the harapan civilization in what is now India also had a similar drainage system using deep gutters which with removable covers so you could like get rid of any yeah, exactly connected from house to house, similar to the way that many of our modern drainage systems work today.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so for cities that numbered in the tens of thousands, these Minoan and Harappan sewage systems they did a decent job, no doubt. Things were still stinky, especially if there wasn't a lot of rainfall, and like cesspits probably got clogged, but it did all right considering Yeah, Unfortunately, they were no match for the more than one million occupants of ancient Rome. I mean really, the history of sewage systems and poop comes down to like, oh no, there's too much poop. Oh we fixed it. Oh no, there's too much poop again. Oh we fixed it again. Oh no, you know, it's just like risky forever forever. Yeah, okay, So how did ancient Romans fix it? With something called the kloaca maxima cloaka.
Speaker 2: That's a great word.
Speaker 1: It is a great word, Okay, cloaca maxima.
Speaker 2: I know, because like I feel like we should define because some people might know.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, no, I mean we could.
Speaker 1: So my first exposure to the word kloaca came from what we use it, the biological term meaning the single orifice through which many animals do all their business pe reproduce kloaca. That usage only came into existence in like the eighteen hundreds, So the word kloaca existed before then, and it was it translated. It was basically translates into the word sewer. So kloaca maxima greatest sewer, greatest sewer of meaning like the biggest largest.
Speaker 2: I love imagining ancient.
Speaker 3: It's like very in line with how I think about ancient Roman much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, but Kloaca comes from the Roman goddess Cloacina.
Speaker 3: Based on the word to clean. Oh so it has sewer clean yeah, yeah, so yeah, the Kloaca Maxima, it really did live up to its name though in terms of its size. It was so big that entire wagons filled with could travel through it.
Speaker 2: It was mess so it's like storm drain like rivers that we have here in southern California today, like like those.
Speaker 1: Like you could take a boat, like a small boat throughout it. Wow, isn't that amazing?
Speaker 2: It was just for sewage.
Speaker 1: It was just well no, actually, so every day it would handle a lot millions of gallons of water and a million pounds of poop probably flowed through the Chloaca Maxima every day, something around there. But like our sewer systems of today, it was not created necessarily to just handle human waste. It was mostly to prevent to remove excess water during a rainstorm. And Rome was built on a swamp.
Speaker 3: Basically, it's the Houston of the ancient world.
Speaker 2: Thank Houston. Someone's gonna get real mad about that.
Speaker 3: Houston is not a swamp.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know that, Okay, just dating facts here. It's true and so you have to drain. You have to drain the swamps to prevent flooding, and so that is what with the Kloaca Maxima also did. It was mostly to just drain the swamp. I don't know why this is so funny, but it really is. But the Chloaca Maxima, I'm just going to say it as many times as possible, was an engineering marvel, and the Romans poured money into its construction and its upkeep. It was a real like uh, it's a real testament to how much they cared about sewage and sewer systems. Is that the Chloaca Maxima, parts of it are still standing where many, many, many other buildings have fallen.
Speaker 2: But they were like this, this should stand.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, do you want to hear more about what the toilet experience might have been like for someone in an ancient room?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: All right, So if you're wealthy, you would have your own private latrine in your big house, likely situated over a dugout pit. Or you'd be like, no, I'm going to get a chamber pot and have someone just get that.
Speaker 2: Get away from more.
Speaker 1: I don't want even this in my pay my house to do that okay, pay someone nothing. Many wealthy citizens didn't want to care neck to their house to the Chloeica maxima because the smell it wasn't Also like there wasn't water piping continuously through.
Speaker 2: Okay, and so you kind of it wasn't sunk.
Speaker 1: Things just would have hung out there and then vermin. Yeah, you know it's I get it. So but they were really the only people to enjoy privacy while pooping were the wealthy.
Speaker 3: Everyone else that it was a luxury for them.
Speaker 1: Public toilets were constructed, used almost exclusively by men. It was not a safe place for women. They were found throughout the city, paid for often by the wealthier citizens who wanted to avoid poop in the streets.
Speaker 3: And that happened all the time in the streets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are so many inscriptions warning people against pooping in this alley or against this building or whatever. So there's one found in POMPEII that warned, quote, defecator, watch out for what might happen to you.
Speaker 3: In an alley in an alley, stop pooping here, defcator, defecator. If you if you poop, you will be by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should call more people.
Speaker 3: Everyone is a deficator.
Speaker 2: That's true. What we use it as a disc feels intentional.
Speaker 3: It does, it does. Okay.
Speaker 1: So these these public toilets were housed under a low ceiling with small windows, so like not a very pleasant, you know, place to be. And they were essentially marble benches carved with rows of holes, just roll whole after hole after hole, no dividers between the holes, so close that you could hold hands, you could carry on a whispered conversation or make after work plans with your pooping partner. People weren't really wearing pants. It was more like a toga vibe situation as far as I read, you know, I don't know how widespread togas worth. That's just like my image of ancient room. But you weren't totally exposed, so like you weren't dropping trout.
Speaker 2: The way that you would be today. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And so for wiping your heine, there were which I I love wiping heiney is another great word for wiping your heney. There were communal communal sea sponges on a stick were called tersorium or wiping thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they just was like a few of them scattered about. I don't know, what.
Speaker 1: I don't know the numeor yeah, I don't know how many there were.
Speaker 2: Was there like water, Yes, there was a bucket of water.
Speaker 1: There was a gutter of clean water to clean the sponge in between uses.
Speaker 2: Okay, a sea sponge. That's actually genius, it is. Yeah, I mean I love it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I love it. The commune, it's the communal part that really gets to me. Yeah, And whether there was hand washing, probably not. It doesn't seem to be, so who knows. You can, like, let me check, right, yeah, let me but know. But okay, So the poop and pea would flow from these public toilets away into a sewer system where they eventually emptied into the river Tiber, which is also where people got their drinking and bathing water. The filth might have been out of sight, out of mind, but it didn't mean it wasn't an issue.
Speaker 3: There was water borne illness all over the place.
Speaker 1: It was, I mean, based on descriptions, like it seemed pretty pretty overrun with poop and pea, and there was a lot of like issues related to disease because of that. Yes, okay, So moving on from ancient Rome, though throughout the medieval period and beyond, sewage construction in most of Europe was guided by the get this poop as far away from me as possible principle. Livestock manure was spread on fields for fertilization, and toilets operated under a similar logic as an ancient Rome, not the Minoan civilization, minus the chloaca maxima that effectively more or less effectively drained things away, so there would be like outdoor latrines for the poor, you know, pits or barrels, which could then be like buried or taken away, while the rich built private toilet rooms in their castles where they like stuck out over the moat so that the poop and pea would travel down a shoot into the water.
Speaker 2: A poop shoot, poop shoot. This that always makes me think of the Game of Thrones, the guy who died on the toilet. There was anyways, it doesn't matter, but there was a guy who died on the toilet. He got shot with like an arrow in the toilet, and his toilet room was like way up and off away in the castle. Just was like historically accurate. Just might it not be an historical show?
Speaker 3: But no, I mean that that I think that is.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm sort of imagining, these little rooms like just to sort of cut out and then like boop, yeah, okay, cool into the surrounding moat.
Speaker 3: So like it just would just be poop or in the moat, just feeding.
Speaker 2: The crocodiles or whatever.
Speaker 1: Feeding something of the carp and catfish, I don't know, uh. And so that's where it would stay until like the rains grew heavy enough and then the currents could.
Speaker 3: Carry it away.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: So as European cities exploded in population, the situation.
Speaker 3: Grew dire and more diers. It does, poop piled up.
Speaker 1: Multiple laws were passed like this is how bad the poop was, right, There were many laws in many countries about public pooping. They were trying to regulate how much poop there was on the streets. So, for instance, in Berlin, a sixteen seventy one law was passed that instructed every peasant visiting Saint Peter's Church to.
Speaker 3: Take a pile of poop away. It was a popular dumping ground, so many.
Speaker 2: People would poop there. It was like you need to take.
Speaker 3: Take you to take poop away? Yeah, fascinating, I know.
Speaker 1: In fifteen thirty one, a law in Paris required landlords to provide a latrine for every house.
Speaker 2: Wow. Not until fifteen thirty.
Speaker 3: One, Yeah, were the laws enforced.
Speaker 1: That Many people did their business in chamber pots in their home, which they then emptied out of the window after a yelled warning like look out the Yeah. The descriptions of people pooping every where in the streets or alleys, and waste piled high, like there are many of them, but there it's it's too much, okay. For example, quote, the louver was a mess. People defecated without restraint or attempt at secrecy in the courtyards, on the stairs and balconies, and behind doors, without hindrance from palace attendants. On August eighth, sixteen oh six, an order was given prohibiting any resident of the Palace of Saint Germain from committing a nuisance Therein that same day, the King's son urinated against the wall of his room.
Speaker 3: End quote. So like people just seem to be pooping everywhere.
Speaker 2: That is so fascinating to me.
Speaker 3: It is to me too, I don't know how.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's like you just I mean, I guess if you don't really have an alternative, right, If you don't have an alternative, you got to go nature calls.
Speaker 1: In nature calls and so it's like and the laws were not effective, and it just kind of of course, the problem keeps growing. But keeping in the theme with one man's trash is another's treasure, there was an entire occupation that sprung out from these soiled streets, the so called nightmen oh okay so also known as scavengers.
Speaker 3: These nightmen would walk the streets at night.
Speaker 1: They would empty out chamber pots and public toilets to either sell to farmers or just dump in the countryside. They would be like, I will handle your waiste. People had like signs on like carriages or like wagons that were like I am the best at this. I will make sure it's love to do this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And when transport became a challenge, like there was just too much to carry or whatever, they dug out big pits and they held the waist there. And this is when they began to experiment with different chemicals and other additives to dissipate the smell, or they would heat the night soil to desiccate it.
Speaker 3: But guess what happened, Darren.
Speaker 2: Something bad.
Speaker 3: I mean kind of just populations keep growing and too much kept growing, and the nightmen just couldn't keep up, and so the situation was again becoming dire.
Speaker 1: Fortunately a hero was about to emerge. Ajax the first modern flushing toilet. Oh, it was invented by Sir John Harrington.
Speaker 3: Ajax was the name. He gave it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, in England fifteen eighty four, after being sent away by the Queen, whom he offended with his poetry.
Speaker 3: It's true story. No one knows the exact details, but like I can imagine, the gossip.
Speaker 1: Was just what did he say this time? But he embarked on some home construction projects and out of this creative retreat sprung the toilet. And it wasn't the first, like I mentioned, the Manoans and Harrappans hold that title, but it did involve a more advanced flushing system with valves and a sistern kind of like what we think of today where.
Speaker 3: It has that on top. And then yeah, he named it Ajax.
Speaker 1: And wrote an ode in its honor, and then the Queen, after getting over her irritation towards him, she visited. She tried it out and she was like I I need one of these, so she had one built in her palace, home, castle, whatever it was, whatever it is. Over the next couple of centuries, the toilet underwent several technological improvements that made it more feasible to be installed in lots of homes, and soon everyone it was like, I need this, I want a standard part of your home. Its popularity was helped along by British plumber Thomas Crapper, who did not invent the toilet nor give his name to a slang word for poop like his name really yeah, but he did a great job at marketing it, and he kind of helped to turn the toilet into a status symbol.
Speaker 3: Everyone wanted one for him.
Speaker 2: I want a Crapper, I mean yeah.
Speaker 3: And guess what happened.
Speaker 1: People were so happy to flush and forget and the problem of excess poop was solved for a.
Speaker 3: Very brief period of time.
Speaker 1: What the toilet had effectively done was move those individual cesspits from the home to the rivers that supplied the city with water, making one giant cesspit out of it.
Speaker 3: The situation again grew dire.
Speaker 1: How dire you might ask, Let's go to London eighteen fifty eight for the full picture.
Speaker 3: Okay, that summer was.
Speaker 1: Unusually hot and dry, but any enjoyment of sunny weather was thwarted by the shocking stench that emanated from the Thames. I've mentioned the Great Stink of eighteen fifty eight before in our Typhoid Fever episode, and I read a quote in that episode that I think is worth dredging up for this one. Okay, this is from a newspaper reporting on the Great Stink. Quote, for the first time in the history of men, the sewage of nearly three million people had been brought to seethe and ferment under a burning sun in one vast open kloeca, lying in their midst.
Speaker 2: I remember this quote now because we made it into a reel. It's like one of our first reels that we ever made.
Speaker 3: I don't know why. It just kills me.
Speaker 1: And it's like it is the word kloka, but it's also like poetic in a way.
Speaker 2: It is it's beautiful and disgusting.
Speaker 1: Disgusting, it's really effective. It is that is effective language, right there. Uh So, Okay, the times had been getting more disgusting for years, but the Great Stink really galvanized many Londoners. Something had to be done about this, not just because of the unpleasantness of having to breathe that vile air, but also because that air was thought to spread disease. My asthma was sort of the leading idea at the time, And it wasn't the air itself, but it certainly was the water, as John Snow revealed in his investigations of the London caller outbreaks from a few years before, which was of course caused by the nasty and poorly functioning drainage systems in the city. Those color outbreaks. So it took a few decades. I'm skipping over so much here in terms of like the history of sewage, but eventually a massive and intricate sewer system was built to manage London's waste. The project was spearheaded by visionary engineer Joseph Basilget, and the completed system, truly a modern marvel, still serves the city today.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And there's a.
Speaker 1: Whole book about its design and basil Get and the Great Stink if you'd like to learn more, it's on one of these shelves here. The London sewer system, which acted as inspiration for many other cities. It operates with the goal of using water to wash away the city's poop and liquid waste, and in the brainstorming phase of this design, several options were presented and dismissed before landing on this present layout. One of these ideas involved transporting the waste to farms in the surrounding countryside to use as fertilizer andn youual value. A four million people's excrement, which is in the city of London was estimated to be about worth about one point seven million pounds in the eighteen eightiesh which is one hundred and seventy eight million pounds today.
Speaker 3: Oh wow in terms of fertilizer yep.
Speaker 1: But England, not seeing the tremendous worth of this substance, opted to flush it away, a strategy in keeping with the sentiment of past centuries that poop was waste and nothing more, and this sentiment wasn't universally shared even across Europe. In his book Lemiz, Victor Hugo question question to the similar approach that Paris took with its sewers, quote, what do we do with all this golden dung? It is swept into an abyss? All the human and animal manure which the world wastes, if returned to the land instead of thrown into the sea, would suffice to nourish the world end quote.
Speaker 3: Truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not wrong, truth.
Speaker 1: And he wasn't just discussing a hypothetical strategy. For millennia, many cltures had a much different perspective on how best to deal with the amount of poop and pea that a growing city produced. Where the ancient Romans and modern Londoners saw the value of poop in its absence, other cultures saw its value as a fertilizer. Why did some parts of the world adopt the view of human excrement as a valuable thing and others as a thing to get as far away from as possible. One aspect was need how many livestock you had, or how fertile your soil already was, or how much pasture land was even available. Maybe you were land limited, right, you couldn't just clear more land when all the nutrients were leached out of your soil. Or maybe you didn't have and didn't have the land to have at these ample amounts of livestock that were producing manure that could be used as fertilizer, and so you're just like, I'm going to use what's right in front of me. This is fertilizer.
Speaker 2: I'm already making it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Throughout Japan's history, for instance, both poop and urine was sold to farmers to fertilize their crops called knights. Japan didn't really have acres and acres of pasture land or many large livestock, and so night soil was highly valued. If you rented an apartment, your landlord technically owned the night soil that you produced, and so the rent was adjusted based on the number of people living in a room.
Speaker 2: How many people are pooping here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how much can I get for their poop? So if five people lived in one room, rent was free.
Speaker 3: For example, Yeah, that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Pooping at a friend's house was considered a generous act because you're like, thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I love that.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: So you might wonder how this practice, which the use of night soil is still used in many parts around the world today, how it didn't lead to the spread of pathogens transmitted by poop. You know, we just talked about the Great stink and colera outbreaks. And all of that, and a big part of it was how you process the poop composting, right, you have to what is the word ferment, ferment the poop, I guess, And so this what would happen is like in this composting process, it would help to reduce the proliferation of pathogenic bacteria in the poop and break it down into its raw components, which were more readily used by plants. It's a part of the decompositions like right, you know. And the second was just like standard hygienic practices, washing hands, boiling water, cooking vegetables, things like that. Japan wasn't alone in seeing the value of night soil. China was also well ahead of the curve when it came to seeing poop as a resource rather than waste. One strategy that people used in China was to let all the refuse from humans, animals, other parts of agriculture all mixed together with water in covered tubs and pits, and then after the fermentation process was complete, they would either pour this liquid maneuver directly onto the roots or let it dry in the sun, forming cakes which would desiccate, and then they could sell yeah mix with water, and there's instant fertilizer. Poop was so valued that in seventeen thirty seven in China there was an imperial treatise that commanded treasure night soil as if it were gold.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, seventeen hundreds.
Speaker 1: You said, seventeen hundreds for that, But it had been going on for much longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so while most of Europe treated poop as a waste product exclusively, there were a few pockets that saw it differently, some places that paid for poop rather than paying to have it be taken away. In parts of Belgium and in the Netherlands, farmers utilized night soil for crop fertilization. They constructed specialized casks that could hold over one hundred gallons. The casks were loaded onto carts where they were dragged around by a horse, the farmer on the horse lifting the rope that controlled the lever to be like now reallyaseam now really some more.
Speaker 3: It's pretty ingenious.
Speaker 1: And even in the US in the late eighteen hundreds there was a very successful night soil company based in New Jersey who got paid twice for their labor, first to remove the poop in the first place, and then the second to sell fertilizer, and so inspired by their success, a few sewage farms sprung up around the US, but eventually they fell out of favor by the end of the nineteenth century, as did night soil almost across the board. What changed the invention of commercial fertilizer and the introduction of germ theory, whereby poop became the enemy and nothing more. And I think it's important to note, and I feel like we didn't cover this in an actual episode, like a regular episode, but in a there was The Devil's The Devil's Element Book club book.
Speaker 3: He talked about fertilizer.
Speaker 1: And like guano, these islands of guano, and then people harvesting like bones from battlefields, like old battlefields to use his fertilizer. And I just find that so because a lot of that was happening in like the eighteen hundreds or so, and there was this huge rush prior to the introduction of commercial fertilizer, and poop was there all along, right, It's just yeah.
Speaker 2: It is really really interesting, right, especially to think about that alongside the rise of germ theory, which like we talk about so much on this podcast, and it is like so important, and your poop can make you quite sick, and so it's it is just really interesting to think of those things as like side by side and like how yeah.
Speaker 3: Wait to see it in one like one one angle right.
Speaker 1: One perspective of poop is just that it is waste and nothing more in the enemy, and it's going to make you sick, and that's it, and that is true.
Speaker 2: It is true, and two things can be true.
Speaker 1: But what have so that when these when these things change, the introduction of commercial fertilizer and then germ theory things, even places that had long used night soil, it just they kind of stopped, like many places stopped. Commercial fertilizer took over in the twentieth century, and that decree of treasure night soil, if it were gold, became a relic.
Speaker 3: Of the past.
Speaker 1: Poop was no longer a commodity. It was a thing to rid yourself of, a thing to fear, and today most of the world is still stuck in that mentality, though really we should be following that eighteenth century decree because it is wild how much waste we let.
Speaker 3: Go to waste.
Speaker 1: Functioning sewage systems are foundational to public health, and everyone should have access to clean water because water borne disease kills so many people every year. But it's also clear that our massive sewage plants have solved one big problem removal of poop from our immediate proximity, while simultaneously creating another, too much poop in all the wrong places. We raise livestock on large scale farms, where their manure leaches into the waterways near the farms. Meat and other food gets shipped to our local stores, removing those nutrients from where they were grown. Then we eat the food and poop it out, and that gets flushed into waterways, again far from the original source of these nutrients, and.
Speaker 2: Then it goes into the ocean, goes.
Speaker 1: Into algal blooms, marsh decay, barren farmland, eroding soil's ecosystem collapse Like these are the consequences of nutrient redistribution across the landscape.
Speaker 3: Oh man, this situation is again becoming dire. What do we do about it? This time?
Speaker 2: I have an answer?
Speaker 1: I don't I mean, I don't have an answer personally. But there are so many people, so many people who are working on this problem from many, many different angles. They're designing more efficient toilets, revisiting the idea of sewage farms, transforming human waste into fuel or fertilizer, even just rebranding poop into something that's like not shameful. Props to the poop emoji for that one. It doesn't mean it's like it's really funny. It's like a very popular emoji. It's a great emoji.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it doesn't mean like there are many people working on this, and it doesn't mean that we have everything under control right now, but we do have possible paths forward and a ton of amazing innovators that are dedicated to this work and.
Speaker 3: Really passionate about it.
Speaker 1: Poop is a valuable resource a fertilizer, as a source of public health data like wastewater can tell us what pathogens.
Speaker 3: Are currently circulating.
Speaker 1: Huge, huge, And it's also a valuable resource on an individual level, Like what does your pooh say about you?
Speaker 2: Such a good question.
Speaker 3: Well, Aaron, this is where I pose that question to you, so you can tell me all about what we can learn from our poop.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait to do that. So I ended last week's episode mostly just talking about what is typical when it comes to our poops, right, yeah, yeah, And you talked to us through in last week's episode, if anyone missed it, all of the different ways that animals use our poop as a resource, and poop on a landscape level scale tells us so much about how we're dealing with Our poop can tell us a lot. But you're right, on an individual level, our poop can also tell us quite a lot. And I think there's an interesting balance, I guess where a lot of us don't think about our poop at all. Like we poop and it's done, it is out of our mind. We're not worried about it, we're not looking at it, we're not thinking about it. We're just maybe trying to think about it as little as possible. And there are also many people who maybe spend a little too much time thinking about their poops or worrying about their poops or what is this one poop? Did I eat beats? Or is this cooling cancer?
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a reasonable question to ask.
Speaker 1: After a beat, after a beat, poop after a beat, poop, unless it's beats.
Speaker 2: But it is true that our poops can tell us so much about our health, and a lot of times changes in our bowel movements might actually be indicator of an underlying disease. Though my point with today is not necessarily to make everyone worried about their poops. It's more just to kind of understand the spectrum. Okay, And since we already covered the range of typical, we can look back at our Bristol stool scale to understand the ways in which our poop can become a typical. If that makes sense. Love this. So if a perfect poop on that Bristol scale, which again goes from one to seven, where one are these hard, separate lumps kind of like a nut of poop, chunk chunk, PLoP, PLoP, and types.
Speaker 3: Are appreciate that extra little little.
Speaker 2: Too much, and a type seven is entirely liquid. Those are our two extremes constipation and diarrhea. Yes, and so that's what I'm going to kind.
Speaker 3: Of focus on constipation and diarrhea.
Speaker 2: Constipation and diarrheall so, and there's a lot of different ways to classify. Those are not the only poop problems that you can have, but constipation and diarrhea I think give us a lot of insight because that does kind of cover that whole spectrum.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of different ways to classify or define both of these things. And I'll start with constipation because I love talking about constipation.
Speaker 3: So has that word been uttered in the history.
Speaker 2: I'll see it in the office all the time, So I love talking about constipation. How we actually define it, it's either with this bristol stool scale, but it's never just exclusively with the bristol stool, So it's usually hard or lumpy stools, or needing to strain during a bowel movement, or sometimes feeling like I just can't completely evacuate, like you poop and you just feel like there's something still there that needs to come out but it cannot come out feeling. If those things are happening, usually more than twenty five percent of your poops, that's what's considered.
Speaker 3: Constipated, huh okay.
Speaker 2: Or sometimes it can be if you're having fewer than three bowl movements per week, that might also be considered you constipated.
Speaker 3: Okay, how often? Like okay?
Speaker 2: I love that you're asking questions already.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, well you said fewer that you said more than or twenty five.
Speaker 2: Twenty five percent of your poops, So who's watching that. That's such a great question, who, like, how many of us are paying that much attention to our poop? Right, I don't know unless maybe you're dealing with constipation, and then you probably are, because a lot of times it's maybe more than twenty five percent, Right, it has to be at least that for us to call it constipation according to the like Rome criteria, which is the criteria that we use. But a lot of people who deal with constipation have been dealing with it for a really long time. It's estimated most of the studies cite that in the US something like twelve to fifteen percent are dealing with constipation, and a lot of times, unless we can identify the cause of constipation, it gets lumped under what's called like functional constipation, which really just means that we don't necessarily have an idea of what the mechanisms are. But it's estimated that up to thirty percent of people deal with constipation at least on an occasional basis, so they like sometimes have issues pooping, and that is thought to be an underestimate because these are data that are based on people who seek care. Right of course, right.
Speaker 1: Are you going to talk about the causes of constipation, because I want to talk about functional constant.
Speaker 3: Like to me, what's your question, what are the causes of constipation?
Speaker 2: That great questions?
Speaker 1: At what point do you go? We don't know, but you're clearly constipated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it totally depends on the scenario and also depends on how well it responds to the various treatment options. Right, But there's a lot of things that could cause it. It could be that you have slow gut transit, right, which we know from last episode, can be caused by a number of different things. Some of it might be genetics, some of it might be medications that you're on. Some of it might be the diet that you are eating, is that right, The diet that you're eating, diet, the food that your diet or diet. Some of it might be diet because fiber, as we know, can increase your stool transit time, and so if your diet is very low in fiber, then you might have prolonged transit times, so you might be more prone to constipation. Also, dehydration can put you at risk of harder stools. Physical activity increases your motility of your guts, and so we all live much more sedentary lifestyles, especially like in the US we're quite sedentary, and so that is actually probably contributing to constipation. But then there's other things too. There's like just actual dysmotility. There's something called Hirsprungs, which is like where it's a genetic disorder where some of your nerve endings of your colon have not developed all of the way and so you cannot get contraction the way that you should. So that can make it very hard to poop and you can get a huge amount of stool build up in things. There's pelvic floor dysfunction, anal sphincter issues, like there's a lot of possibilities, A lot.
Speaker 1: Of possibilities, Are there a lot of solutions?
Speaker 2: Is that great question? I mean yes and no. Right, the main ways that we go and deal with constipation, for like a general rule, are going to be using things like laxatives, which are going to hold on to water in your stool, so that is going to make your stool softer.
Speaker 3: That how they work.
Speaker 2: That's how they work. They just still like okay, mirralax, which is polyethylene glycol. There's lots of different brand names of it. It's just a very large molecule, and so it just attracts water. And so you have this molecule, it doesn't get broken down in your digestive tract. So it's sitting in your colon holding on to water, and therefore you have more water in your poop. Therefore it is softer and easier to pass. And other osmotic laxatives work the same way. Lactolose, magnesium citrate, all these things. There's also some other ones that you can use, like stimulant laxatives. Those are things like bisocotal is one or senna is another, and these are helping to stimulate paristolsis. They're helping to stimulate muscular contractions.
Speaker 1: So it's not like a laxative the water aspect, but in the movement it's moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's helping with movement, and so what you might use might depend on what you think the underlying issue is, so it's going to be kind of person dependent. There's also stool softeners. But my favorite thing about stool softeners in medicine is that we use them all the time and there's like no data that they work. Wait, what, doc, you say? It is like one of the most commonly used things in hospitals, and like people like to tell people to use it all the time, and there's like very little if any evidence that it. It's supposed to just like help make your stool more slippery, is the idea, like mucisi me, I don't know, but it doesn't like it doesn't work, okay.
Speaker 1: So so when you say it doesn't work, do you mean that there have been studies that have found no effect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there have been no studies.
Speaker 2: There have been studies that have had no effect. Yeah, unlike othmotic laxatives and things which great.
Speaker 3: So why why would you use the stool softener over a laxative.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't, okay, okay, but lots of people do. I don't know. It's thought to be less harsh, okay, right, because it's not gonna like grab onto a bunch of water and then like have you at risk of diarrhea or something quite as much? Right, where you can easily overdo it with some laxative. So you could end up with electrolyte imbalances if you overdo it on laxatives things like that. But realistically I don't know because I don't But.
Speaker 3: What about the like prep for a colonoscope.
Speaker 2: It's basically a huge jug of polyethylene gicoll or. Sometimes we use sodium based ones too, so like other electron electrode. Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, but yeah, that's basically what it is, Just like a huge jug of it, chug chug, chug with a lot of water because you're going to be pooping out a lot of water.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Isn't that fun?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great. Fun. Yeah, fun, that's exactly the word that I would use. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But so that's like, I mean, that's that's most of the ways that we try. And there's other newer medicines too, Like there's a lot of there's a lot of newer medicines that have mechanisms that I'm not going to get into because I'm not as familiar with it, but there's a lot of Because constipation is such an issue, there are a lot of interest in new ways to help deal with constipation. When these are not effective, these is like go to first line try it out. If it's not working, you need to see a specialist kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, question about constipation and treatments the like uh, polyethylene gli call et ceteras of the world. Are those for acute relief or in is the more like chronic relief?
Speaker 3: Fiber?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's yes, And okay, do you want to talk about fiber? I can skip.
Speaker 3: We can know. We keep your notes the way you want them to keep.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about fiber.
Speaker 3: Great. Always I'm always down to talk about fiber.
Speaker 2: I know me too, Okay, So yes, laxatives, stool softeners, motility agents. These are things that are going to help treat constipation. Yes, what if you are constipated? Fiber does not necessarily treat constipation, but it can help prevent constipation, right, Okay, because like we talked about last episode, it's holding onto water in your stool, and so it is hugely beneficial in increasing transit time and in making your stool softer, and in providing that bulking agent. And there's two major divisions of fiber. There's soluble fibers, which is like cilium, husk, oats, pectins, and then there's insoluble fibers, which is like wheat brand cellulose. Lots of the things that are in our fruits and veggies and things.
Speaker 1: I can't believe we're getting to talk about insoluble and soluble fibers.
Speaker 3: So excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And most of the if you're getting your fiber from food sources and not from like a fiber drink that you're mixing, then you're getting a combination of soluble and insoluble fibers in most of the foods that you're eating. And then there's also some of the fibers are like fermentable, and I talked a little bit about this last episode, Like the bacteria in our guts can break them down and ferment them specifically to produce these like short chain fatty acids that they can then.
Speaker 3: Use to eat.
Speaker 2: Like the bacteria eat break down this fermentable fiber and eat it, and then some of the cells in our colon can also use what they break down as an energy source, these short chain fatty asss.
Speaker 1: Okay, why choose one fiber over the other, and why are they all important?
Speaker 3: They're all important?
Speaker 2: The answer is that they're all important. Some of them are increasing bulk in our stool, and some of them are helping to feed the gut microbiome, and all of them are kind of doing both, like really, if we get into it, and so that that is why fiber. That's why people get so like stoked about fiber and why fiber is such an important part. There's also so much interesting data on like fiber because of its effects on our gut microbiome in helping to treat or at least prevent the worsening of a lot of like inflammatory diseases. Colon cancer we think is involved, like our low fiber diets we think are maybe involved in the increasing incidents of colon cancer that we see, especially in early onset colon cancer. It's not one thing, it's many things, but fiber is a part of that story. So it's it's huge. And part of the reason that this is important to you is because constipation, while it's an issue in and of itself, it can be very painful. It can, like constipation, can cause its own set of problems, constipation can also cause other problems. Constipation can put you at risk of things like diverticulosis, which are these little out pouchings of your gut wall, especially in the stigmoid colon the part that sneaks around back before the rectum, and those little out pouchings can trap poop and then can get infected or can burst or can burst into a blood vessel and cause a lot of bleeding. So diverticulosis can be a problem, and constipation is a big contributor to diverticulosis is not the only thing, but it's one. Also hemorrhoids m okay, hemorrhoids are basically everyone actually has hemorrhoids.
Speaker 1: Can I before we go onto hemorrhoids, because I do want to talk about hemorrhoids, but I want to I want to go back.
Speaker 3: To fiber unless we're done.
Speaker 2: Are you end of fibert Yeah?
Speaker 1: Tell me a good question the relationship between fiber. I'm just stuck on these different insoluble soluble. It's fermentable.
Speaker 2: Don't ask me more details, you know, But like.
Speaker 1: We when we talk about a low fiber diet, it is of course across the board. But are we getting like is the low fiber diet more low in soluble insoluble? And are the relationships between these different fiber types and colon cancer for instance, or like other outcomes.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. It's beyond I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then how much? So no one's getting enough fiber? How much is enough fiber? What does that look like? Our fiber. Uh do do our fiber?
Speaker 3: What do you call them?
Speaker 2: Fiber, fiber, cereals, fiber bars, fiber supplement.
Speaker 3: Fiber powders.
Speaker 2: Ye, yeah, yeah, I love these questions. The recommended amount in the US is like twenty eight to thirty five grams of fiber a day. Okay, okay, a cup of raspberries as an example. I can't believe I know this in my head because I didn't write anything.
Speaker 3: We've talked about this, because raspberries especially are very high fibers.
Speaker 2: Of all the fruits, they're one of the best. Because a cup of raspberries is like eight grams or so of fiber a cup, so it's like pretty dece Kiwis also have a lot of fiber. Broccoli has a ton of fiber. Beans, especially white beans, so much fiber means white interesting, navy beans have more fiber than most other beans. Don't ask me why, No clue. Oh, lentils, lentils, lots of fiber. Don't know how much. I don't have the rest of them memorized because I usually just give people a chart. It's one of my that's my standard handout. If you come see me for a physical that's literally part of my hand.
Speaker 3: Bring bring one next time, yea time we're together.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just got it from the like NIH website or whatever. Okay, yeah, still I didn't make it. But no, so that that's a recommended amount, and most of us are probably getting much less than that. Like if you but your question about like fiber supplements and things like that can be really helpful, especially some of those soluble fibers like sillium husk and things like that tend to tolerate really well because they're not going to be as fermentable. You're going to get a little bit less bloating potentially with those, but you could you could get bloating with anything, especially if you're going from like no fiber right to some fibert start small, baby steps, baby steps. Always, this is not a medical advice podcast. Let me remind you all, we're just talking generalities. But yeah, so that's that I answer all those questions. Those count. But of course it is better if you're getting your fiber from whole foods because then you are getting a mix. And I don't know the answer as to like what percentage should be this or that, and like there's probably people who are doing those studies to kind of really look into it. But I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 1: I know, and this like we haven't said this yet, which I'm shocked that we haven't said this. But there are so many other topics that are related to poop, yes, that we will cover.
Speaker 2: There's so many that I'm like, I will say this word and then we need to do a whole episode on it.
Speaker 3: Colon cancer, cool and cancer, early on set, colon cancer, so many things huge, Yeah, diverticulosis.
Speaker 2: Speaking of hemorrhoids.
Speaker 3: Hemorrhoids, so this could be a whole episode.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it actually would be.
Speaker 1: I want to know about the because I was thinking about the development of laxatives.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, right, okay, so we.
Speaker 1: Should do a and also the development of something hemorrhoid cream and whether it is true that you should put them under put it under your eye for puffiness. I feel like that was something in miscongeniality.
Speaker 3: Really, that's where I learned that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just like a low poncy steroid usually. Anyways, we're getting off the point Listen, hemorrhois hemorrhoids. Everyone has hemorrhoids. They're just collections of blood vessels that are in your rectum and your anus, so they function like cushions basically that help keep your anal canal closed because we want it closed most of the time. They help soften the transitive poop, so your poop has like do do think of it as like bointing off.
Speaker 3: Like a little pinball machine, like a pinball gently off.
Speaker 2: But they also they are basically collections of blood vessels. And because they are venous vessels, like they're veins, not arteries. Our veins can get swollen, and as they get swollen, they can sometimes burst open and bleed, either in small amounts or sometimes in larger amounts, and depending on where they form in the anal canal. Your anal canal is so interesting because some of it has sensory sensation. The external part you can feel it has a lot of nerve endings, and the inner part does not. So if you have internal hemorrhoids, they generally don't have any pain or discomfort or itching, but external hemorrhoids can cause quite a lot of itching and pain because especially they don't tend to burst open, though they can, but they can get very large and very very painful because they're like external so you're basically like sitting on them. So those can be quite painful, like little water balloons filled with blood basically right around your opening. And so those are you are at higher risk for those with constipation, like big, big, big time, because it is all of that increased pressure and the straining straining to poop really puts a lot of pressure on that anal canal, and so it really increases the pressure in those veins, so then blood pools up in there.
Speaker 1: I'm just I'm thinking of as someone who listens to a lot of like books on tape and in my car and when I'm running and walking the dog and when someone gets in the car with me and I have like, you know, like a colorful scene in one of five books I'm imagining of all of our episodes.
Speaker 2: Someone is playing this and.
Speaker 1: They're they're like, I don't know, brother in law gets in the car. It's like, I'm you know what exactly they have on the bluetobe speaker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is one to share with your family. Please do, because I'll keep going to tell you about anal fissures, which are another consequence of constipation.
Speaker 3: Consequence of constipation not related to hemrhoids.
Speaker 2: Not directly related except that they're both like an anal disease basically, But anal fissures are also this increased pressure sitting constipation issue. They're just teeny tiny, little like paper cuts almost in the skin of the anus, and so they're super super painful. So treatment for that is really to avoid constipation, and sometimes you need surgeries and things like that to kind of help treat those. So yeah, So constipation is a big deal, right because it can be a problem in and of itself, and it can cause all of these other problems. There's something called stircurle colitis. We won't even get there because it's quite extreme. But on the other arm, now I'm like, what, I don't google it after that. On the other end of the spectrum is diarrhea. Yes, and we've talked a lot about diarrhea. I spent more time on constipation because we don't ever really cover it on the podcast, but we've talked quite a lot about diarrhea. You define acute diarrhea as like three loose or watery stools in twenty four them. My kid will tell you I only had two, so it's not diarrhea. They're well trained. But chronic diarrhea we define as loose or watery stools similar to constipation in at least twenty five percent of your stools, lasting for at least three weeks. Okay, that would call chronic diarrhea.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one of the biggest issues with diarrhea is that you're getting a lot of water loss with it, right, and diarrheal poops tend to be not only higher in water content, they also tend to be higher in protein content. And as you're losing all this water, you're also losing all those electrolytes that are with that water. So with diarrhea, you're at really high risk of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. Uh.
Speaker 3: Protein, Yeah, because.
Speaker 2: Things are just not getting digested and broken down all the way. So fats too. Depending on the type of diarrhea, it could be. It just depends on It depends on what your GI tract is able to absorb versus not.
Speaker 3: What do you mean by t types of diarrhea.
Speaker 2: I mean what is causing your diarrhea can affect the type of diarrhea that you are having. So for example, if you have an infection that's just tearing through your gi tract so that your say, colon just isn't really absorbing any water. Then you're just going to have really watery stools. But you're still going to probably be absorbing all those nutrients because that happens in your small intestine. Yes, Okay. On the other hand, if you have no more gallbladder, then you are leaking out by all all the time. Yeah, So you might have less ability to digest fats, so you have more fat that just made it all the way through to your colon and that is providing a slippery slide. Then you might have diarrhea that is more fatty and is floaty fatty. But there's just I mean, there's lots of ranges of diarrhea, and like you were talking about, there's lots of ranges of smells of diarrhea. There's some people who are like, I can smell a sea dip diarrhea versus not. So is it infectious, is it chronic diarrhea? Is it more of an acute diarrhea? All of them, though, can put you at risk of things like collectrolide imbalance and dehydration and all.
Speaker 3: Of that chronic diarrhea. Okay, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And prevalence rates when it comes to diarrhea, I don't have like a one statistic like we do for constipation because they range hugely. And we've talked so much on this podcast about acute infectious diarrhea, especially in low and middle income countries. How many kids die from diarrhea every year is in the millions. It's very depressing. But even in high income countries, it's estimated that chronic diarrhea, the prevalence can range from like three to eight percent, which is not a small amount of people. No. So there's a lot of different things that can cause both constipation and diarrhea, but one that I want to kind of talk about because it can actually cause both. Okay is IBS.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And again this probably deserves its whole lon always does we need to do one, Yeah, we do.
Speaker 3: Don't please don't take this as we're just going to throw this in.
Speaker 2: No, no, But but I can't do a whole two episodes about poop and not talk about IBS, especially about problematic poops, because talk about the poster child of problematic pooping. Yes it's IBS, So IBS or irritable bowel syndrome, not the same thing, by the way, as IBD, or inflammatory bowel disease, which very commonly causes diarrhea, especially bloody diarrhea, and is an autoimmune disease, an inflammatory and a huge problem. IBS is not that it used to be like a diagnosis of exclusion, but it's not anymore interesting now. It's very much like you should positively diagnose this as IBS. What is the criteria, Well, they can they can range a little bit, but the core core criteria are recurrent cramping abdominal pain. Okay, So you get cramped, being pain, and then changes in stool frequency or consistency, and this is where it can range. Some people have what's called IBS C, which is IBS with constipation, some people have IBS D, which is IBS with diarrhea, and some people have mixed CD CDM. We call it though, oh, mixed, because you have both either constipation or diarrhea, but you're having these changes in your stool frequency like I'm having a poop all the time all of a sudden, or consistency where like i was having like a Bristol three or four and now I'm a seven.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm just so confused about changes in yeah, because that implies a time period.
Speaker 2: This has to be for at least three months, and it has to be happening at least three I think three times a week is the three times a week this is the criteria. The d or C is the the changes in your stool. Yeah, so, like what is your and it's associated with this cramping. So you're having this pain and then you have either a constipated poop or a diarrheal poop or one or the other.
Speaker 3: And it's happening for three months months Yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: And we still do not understand IBS. It's the reserving of its whole own episode. But we are pretty sure that it is at least in part a disorder of the gut brain axis, which is just so interesting and fascinating.
Speaker 1: To me, I know, I mean, the phrase itself is is really compelling.
Speaker 3: And what's underneath the surface we don't know. Question.
Speaker 2: But yeah, So it's basically like your guts and your brain are not talking to each other the way that they should.
Speaker 3: Ye.
Speaker 2: Your neurotransmitters are probably involved. Serotonin. You have more of it in your gut than you do in your brain, et cetera. But then you also see with this intestinal dismotility. So whether that is your guts are going too fast and so you're just pooping your brains out because you're not absorbing things because they're moving too quickly or you're going really slow and there that's why you're constipated. A And this is really interesting, visceral hypersensitivity, and that's where you get this pain. So viscera is like your your guts and hypersensitive, meaning that your nerve endings are feeling more pain than they should.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: So because we've talked about hypersensitivity before when I.
Speaker 2: Don't remember the metriosis maybe maybe, yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: So it's the same sort of thing. It's like those pathways have been carved out and so like it's like a super.
Speaker 2: Highway yes to pain, Yeah, exactly exactly. But so yeah, So there's a lot there's a lot of research being done in IBS. There are a lot of new medications, especially to treat like IBS with constipation. There's medicines that are specific for that same thing with IBS with diarrhea. So like there's a lot of research, but there's also a lot of people who just like suffer with either constipation or diarrhea, and they're looking for ways to manage it, and so they turn to things like fiber or prebiotics, which are all the rage right now, which is usually just fiber. Really, Yeah, they just market it in a weird and different way. Prebiotics that's what they're okay, and then probiotics is the other one. Ah, So let's talk a little bit more about probiotics, because again, we can't talk about poop and not talk about probiotics. It's not I think the last time we talked about probiotics was in our c Diiff episode. Yep, sure, I don't remember I honestly though, that was a long time ago, that episode, and I'm not sure that we have that much more data than we did way back then. People use probiotics, and they will recommend that you take probiotics for anything from diarrhea to constipation to bloating, whether that's acute infectious diarrhea or chronic diarrhea. Right, there's very little data that show that there is a benefit to probiotics depending on the certain circumstance that you're using them for.
Speaker 3: Tell me about those circumstances.
Speaker 2: Well, most of the data. Most of the data is on antibiotics asociated diarrhea or like if you use antibiotics or you're using antibotics for something like c DIFF. And even then the data is really really mixed. The biggest issue is that there's huge heterogeneity in how each of these studies are conducted.
Speaker 3: And who's conducting them.
Speaker 2: Who's conducting that Mostly it's like people who are making supplements or yogurt or something, So there's that issue, But there's also just huge heterogeneity and like which bacterial strains are they actually using in this study? How many bacteria are you actually getting in that capsule?
Speaker 3: Well, because it's got to go through your stomach.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it has to survive the acidic environment of your stomach, it has to make it through your small intestine to try and colonize your colon. We know now that that's like a twenty plus foot journey, so that's not necessarily easy. There's also a huge issue with the fact that in the US there's absolutely no regulation on these things because probiotics are regulated as supplement and see our supplement.
Speaker 3: Episode for so much more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we or they're sometimes classified as a food product, right if it's like a yogurt or yogurt drink or something like that. So we don't have really any data on how much live bacteria are even in your gummy or your capsule or your juice drink, how much of those will survive, or if that particular strain is necessarily beneficial for you in your specific clinical scenario.
Speaker 1: I know, I honestly it is. Really it's really frustrating. Like the I think in particular, one of my one of my irritants is the probiotic soda. Yes, and I'm just like it's soda, it's sugar, yeah, what, it's just I mean, I'm sure there's more stuff in there, but like.
Speaker 2: Right, some of them are have prebiotics, so again they've got like fiber or like non digestible sugar.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Great. The other issue too, is that we have some data on a few species. We've got some decent data on Biffitobacterium that at least it's probably not harmful. On a few species of Lactobacillus that again, they are good colonizers and they're not harmful. And sacrimices, which is actually a yeast, right, but that's just like three and like a couple species of Lactobacillus. Right, So if we're talking a handful of species out of the thousands that colonize our guts, like, we don't know what we're doing when it comes to probiotics, we don't. So there are people who say, well, taking one or two species is never going to be enough. It's never going to do the thing that you needed to do. What we need is a fecal transplant erin.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we talk about fecal transplants, Yeah, I do. I feel like every time we end up talking about the microbiome, we did it.
Speaker 3: More recently aerin and I don't remember what it was. We're always like, the hype is overrated, and it's the hype is not overrated for the microbiome it itself, No, it is for our understanding of it correct and how we are able to manage and optimize it because we just aren't there yet, right, maybe we will be, but we're not there.
Speaker 2: No, not even closed. And I are are we there with fanfre we no or not? But fecal transplants are essentially like that. That is one of the answers. Right, It's like, well, okay, giving someone just some lacto bacillis or lactobacillis and biffittobacteria like two little bacteria. Is that going to change the entire architecture of their gut microbiome? Probably not right, but hitting them with someone else's entire gut microbiome might. And that's the idea behind fecal microbiota transplant or FMT. This is a huge field of research. I will not do it justice, however. The idea is basically that you take a microbial community from a healthy person's guts, someone with bristol three or fours all the time.
Speaker 3: Beautiful poop, no blowing east exceptional.
Speaker 2: Love it all the time, and you give it to a person with some kind of gut disease. You give them some of their poop because in that poop, again, fifty percent of the biomass of their poop is bacteria. You can do this a few different ways. You can instill the poop into somebody via colonoscopy from the bottom or an NG tube from the top, because you wouldn't want to just eat it because that's gross. But you could make it into pellets, and then you could take it as a capsule. You can freeze dry them, or you can freeze them either way, And there is so much research being done on this. It is used clinically already, but only in one scenario so far outside of the research sphere as of recording. So there is a FDA approved treatment here in the US for recurrent se diff infection that is an FMT. There's two approved products. One of them is given via an enema suspension and the other one is oral capsules, which is just really exciting because that's so much more palatable to people. Yeah, then and also like lower barrier to edge because you don't have to go into the office, you don't have to do it in clinic, et cetera. You could justo is that you just pop it in your mouth, it wallow it down. So it's a very exciting area of research. But that's all that I really have about it. Because there's a lot of people who are wanting to use it for a treatment of IBD. There's some really promising research in that area. There's some promising research on it for IBS even which I think is very exciting. But that's all that I really have about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, we could do a whole another whole I know that in our CDF episode we did like a big segment on.
Speaker 2: We did FMTS shout out to doctor imaj Di Ausmann, who we had on the pod.
Speaker 1: Great, But I think that we could do a whole like update episode on it because I also want to know, like, Okay, people who got a fecal transplant.
Speaker 3: Five years ago, how are they doing now? What are their poop like today?
Speaker 1: Do they have the same microbes that they were you know, laced with in that first certainly not.
Speaker 2: I would think that there's some turnover.
Speaker 3: So there's turnover, But I mean, like, how much does the community community?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's so interesting erin. I know, there's just so much I think about our guts and our poop that is exciting, I know.
Speaker 3: But it's it's very true, and I feel like it has been a field of like taboo to talk about or to be excited about her be like it's really interesting or anything like that, and so it's discouraged interest in this really.
Speaker 2: Is gross, right, but it's also awesome. Yeah, I love it. That's pretty much the end of what I got. Aaron.
Speaker 3: Poop is gross. It is awesome. We love it.
Speaker 2: We love it. There's more to it we'll wash our hands after we poop, and.
Speaker 3: We we will certainly do that.
Speaker 1: Should we tell the people where they can read more shit about fun poop stuff?
Speaker 2: Fun poop stuff.
Speaker 1: There is so much more when it comes to a the history of sewers and be what people are doing about solving the poop problem. So there's a book by Lena Zeldovich, who if I interviewed for a book Club episode earlier this year for about phase therapy. But her earlier book is called The Other Dark Matter, The Science and Business of Turning Waste into Wealth and Health, really fascinating. Then by Steven Halliday, The Great Stink of London, Sir Joseph Basilgett and the Cleansing of the Victoria Metropolis, and then another book by him as well. But it's like an illustrated coffee table book for sewers and it's called An Underground Guide to Sewers or Down through and Out in Paris, London, New York. I love and it's it's here, it's it is honestly beautiful and really fun, and I loved it.
Speaker 3: It was great.
Speaker 2: I also actually had a book for this one. I never have books, but I did enjoy by doctor Pong. It's called Constipation Nation, which is such a good type title. I really did enjoy that book. I rarely read entire books, and I actually read that whole time thing. So that's how you know it was good and that there's like a lot more detail on constipation. I think there's even like treat your constipation smoothies at the end, which is hilarious to me. But then I also loved, oh this is or I have the citation for the paper. We actually mentioned the last episode about how it takes only twelve seconds to poop because I didn't get into like we spend so much time on the toilet.
Speaker 3: I mean, and that's related to hemorrhoids, and that's related.
Speaker 2: To there was a twenty twenty five paper that was like if you spend time on the phone, you're at higher risk of hemorrhoids. And I was like, there's so much to this, let's keep going right episode Anyways, that paper was from twenty seventeen. It was called the Hydrodynamics of Defecation, published in Soft Matter Soft Matter, and then I've got several papers on like the Global Prevalence of Constipation on FMT. I also have some more data on because we didn't get deep into this, but on colon cancer rates, and we're going to talk more about colon cancer later this season, so you can find all of it on our website, this podcast with killy dot com under the episode stap.
Speaker 1: You can thank you to Bloodmobile for providing the music for this episode and all of our episodes.
Speaker 2: Thank you to everyone here at the Exactly Right Studio. Thank you and Tom and Leanna and Brent and Pete and everyone who's involved in making this podcast possible.
Speaker 3: Pick Yeah.
Speaker 1: A big thank you to our listeners who listen or watch or read the transcripts. Even anyone you know who somehow enjoys or you know, just partakes in this podcast.
Speaker 3: You don't even have to enjoy it. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It helped us out as always. Thank you also to our patrons. Your support really really does mean the world to us, so we really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, Thank you. Well. Until next time, wash your hands, filthy animals,