Speaker 1: From Marhart where Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed loved Love.
Speaker 2: I'm Caroline hide A Bloomberg's World Headquarters in New York and Aurmed Ludlow in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we talk all things crypto from where venture capital flows aheaded to a letter from lawmakers accusing finance am lying to Congress. We'll have more ahead.
Speaker 4: Plus we'll discuss TikTok's e commerce ambitions as the company eyes a twenty billion dollar opportunity in the face of regulatory scrutiny.
Speaker 2: And of course we've got to talk Generator of AI with the CEO of a platform that helps revenue teams boost the productivity. It's all about increasing sales growth. More to come when it comes to the private market. Let's focus in on the public markets, because today bad news is good news. Today the job was claims are raging up higher the fastest in October twenty twenty one. That cooling of what is a very strong labor market in the US maybe boding well in terms of inflation, new pressures. What the federal reserve has to do to just calm down a very well, shall we say, too fiercely hot economy in the US. We're seeing up one point two percent on then as that one hundred as people hope maybe we don't have to high crates as fast as we had to. Two year yield therefore comes down in terms of six basis points on the front end of the curve. And actually we're seeing growth in other economies dollar week of versus the Japanese yen because Japan's economy grow faster than was previously expected. So this is the macro picture. Let's go into one key risk sentiment though for US, and then is the world of crypto. We're actually pushing on higher. Maybe the bad news is conducing the world of bitcoin. Int the moment, we're up one point three percent, but still just in that training range. We're locked at twenty six seven hundred at the moment this as we really do have that regulatory overhang ed. But I know you're digging into maybe some more of the smaller cap names that are already moving today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting that then as that one hundred and marches on tech, A big driver of that there is newsflow driving different names. Amazon moving up to the upside three percent, one of the best performers, a top pick at Wells Fargo and margin View. Amazon's price target also raised at UBS on its AI benefits going through to the cloud division. Game stop moving to the downside. The CEO's gone and they missed on sales. We're going to bring you more details later in the program on that. Lucid now actually just modestly higher up two tents of percent. Had been markedly higher earlier in the session. Reuter's reporting that Lucid is going to move into the Chinese EV market, and then Adobe AIAIAI Generative AI subscription, boosting the sock by about five percent. I think it's at an August high. We will bring you the details of that later in the program as well. I'm also continuing to look at coinbase, look at shares of coinbas We're up for a second straight session since the sec sued Coinbase, accusing them of securities laws breaches. We're up one percent at the moment.
Speaker 3: Of course.
Speaker 4: Brian Armstrong, CEO, was on the show twenty four hours ago giving Coinbases defense, talking about why he's happy to go to courts and establish a baseline through the courts on how crypto exchanges should be governed in this country and also internationally. And we're going to dig deep into what's going on in this sector throughout the show.
Speaker 2: Character Yeah, let's talk about a different, different crypto exchange, a global one. Because parasenate Democrats, they're wanting the Justice Department to investigate whether Binance lied to lawmakers about its business practices. We in fact both with Senator Elizabeth Warren earlier, Let's just have a listen.
Speaker 5: It is a crime to lie to Congress, and we have gotten information from Binance. They've given answers to me and to others in Congress that seem to be entirely inconsistent with now what the now what the SEC is charging that Binance has done, and I want the Justice Department to take a look. If they lied to Congress, they need to be held accountable.
Speaker 2: We of course are out for comment from Binance, but this news is all in the back of the SEC suing the company and it's co found of cz joining us now is a host co host of lumost Cryptos. Kaylie Lynes in the building here and new coming been helping with the Bloomberg invest event and so important to have you here because what a week for crypto And why do we think we're hearing from these particular senators, what do they want done?
Speaker 6: Well, what Senator Warren as well as Senator Chris van Holland, another Democrat from Maryland want is for the Justice Department to look into this matter. Basically, this all comes down to the question of whether binance Us actually operated independently for biness dot com.
Speaker 2: The global entity.
Speaker 6: That is what Elizabeth Warren and Senator Van Holland want to find out. But that also is included in the allegations made by both the SEC and the CFTC in their lawsuit from several months ago, allegations that these were not in fact operating as separate entities. Of course, in the SEC lawsuit against the company and cz there's also a bevy of other charges wash trading, misleading customers, co mingling funds improperly, all of that. But what is important to is when the regulators put these cases forward, these are civil charges. When senators are asking the Justice Department to look into something like perjury, that could actually be a criminal charge.
Speaker 2: The point being though, that who's responsible for this CZ at the moment. I mean, he's out in the Middle East. He of course has various bank accounts. We seem to go unto stand as well that money is flowing, and I know Ed wants to get to that in a moment, But I mean, what about the leadership of you finance US ultimately.
Speaker 6: Well, that's a really good question because again it was supposed to be operating independently. A lot of pushback against that notion has been placed on the part of regulators and lawmakers as well. But the role of z is interesting because as you said, he is in the Middle East at the moment. There is also another DOJ investigation on going into potential sanctions violations. It would become a question of whether there actually was something brought to the DOJ, what potentially extradition might look like. So there's a lot of questions around the individual. In addition to the broader exchange, which of course is the biggest in the way world, and when the Justice Department is asking for a freeze of Binance US assets, we also have to keep in mind how this ultimately could impact the broader system.
Speaker 4: Overnight, Kathywood joined our colleagues over in Asia on that programming, and as we know, she's been adding to the holdings of Coinbase. This is what she had to say about the breadth of this situation, Kayley.
Speaker 7: And it is unfortunate that the SEC took action against Coinbase the day after Binance and then seemed to mud Chairman Genzler as he was on one of the major news channels, was trying to implicate Coinbase in the same way that he was implicating Binance. No, they're very different.
Speaker 4: You know, So we remind ourselves that in the same week the SEC sued both Coinbase and Binance. Interesting Brian Armstrong's comments twenty four hours ago that he felt the timing was relating to conflating two different seats.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we have to keep in mind, as you rightly allude to, that the Binance allegations from the SEC are far wider ranging. Both were accused of violating securities laws. But that really is that in the staking product is what Coinbase was facing, so that it becomes just a definition question about what is and isn't a security and ultimately the jurisdiction of the SEC. And as we talk about interesting timing, I was on Capitol Hill on Tuesday at the House Agriculture Committee, which was holding a hearing on the market structure legislation that has been put forward by that committee and House Financial Services to try and delineate jurisdiction between the CFTC and having control of digital commodities and the SEC when it comes to digital securities. And many of the lawmakers I spoke with at that hearing suggested that the timing was interesting, and one of them, Congressman Zach Nunn, a Republican, was saying that it seems like Gary Gensler is trying to empire build and suggesting that he's trying to front run Congress actually setting the rules of the road by taking all of.
Speaker 4: This action at this time, Kaylee, this is Bloomberg. We follow the money. It's interesting to join the dots of twenty twenty three. I think back to silver Gate and Signature Bank and Bloomberg reporting that there is a seventy billion dollar trail as it relates to Binance and those two banks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, as we know these banks that are no longer in existence, both of them failed earlier this spring. Silvergate was really the first one. This was a bank that catered largely too crypto clients, and we now understand via an SEC filing that was actually filed in support of the motion to freeze the assets of Binance US, that seventy billion dollars, as you say d was funneled through both Silvergate and Signature Bank by Binance and related equities. I believe it was fifty billion dollars of deposits at Silvergate and then in another nineteen that Signature handled including large amount of large amounts of money moving in a couple of days periods. So it's unclear whether or not those banks actually flagged some of those transactions or not. But this is, as you say, just kind of following the money trail of this as the SEC puts forward these allegations and.
Speaker 4: Asks for that in junction Bloomberg's kdie lines visit kiting us from DC in New York.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 8: There's plenty of innovation that we could point to and say there's an enormous opportunity to have like another industrial revolution, it just might be more of a digital revolution and a science revolution that could unleash a lot of productivity. But we need something to get more growth in the economy that will allow us to deal with some of the challenges we're going to finish.
Speaker 2: John Walden common Sach speaking earlier on look the artificial intelligence revolution that we keep discussing. He was talking about at a Bloomberg invest and it follows interesting comments yesterday from Stanley Druckenmiller, also at our Bloomberg Investor bent, who said, unlike crypto, AI is real. So what does that mean about crypto? We actually asked our audience you took to our poll yesterday, does AI have more staying power than crypto? I was amazed at kind of how neck and neck everything was staying power thirty nine thirty seven sent many will fail too early to tell, so it doesn't feel like artificial telli just as neeps and bounds ahead of crypto staying pier. Let's ask one Hannah Miller, who on visa say is also visiting New York because you've got a great new podcast on the downfall of FTX. Meanwhile, though the downfall of crypto, I mean, is crypto showing resilience? I mean, it's interesting that Bitcoin actually hasn't been marred too much in some of the pushback from an SEC level Yeah.
Speaker 9: We've seen some resilience here, and there are obviously founders in vcs who are still very confident in crypto. We have seen this shift though, where some crypto founders and even some crypto vcs are diving more into the intersection between crypto and AI.
Speaker 10: So that's been really exciting to track.
Speaker 2: Okay, course they are, and I remember that sort of meme that everyone's suddenly an AI expert now and leaving crypto. But what is the intersection? Where are we seeing value being created? People getting excited?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So people see a lot of promise in using blockchain for identity. So there's a startup called Tools for Humanity, which was co founded by Sam Altman. They developed world Coin, which they say will provide proof of personhood that you can use this black team based identity to show that you are indeed human. So that's been very interesting. They also scan your eyeballs in order to create this identity.
Speaker 2: So a lot of mixed concerns about that. Actually was an n A sixteen zite event in New York and sool someone with the helmet on from world coin.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there are our concerns about the sensitivity of this biometric data.
Speaker 2: Is it safe? Is it being protected?
Speaker 9: So you know, I think we do see some of the ethical concerns within AI bleeding over into the intersection between AI and crypto.
Speaker 2: But for now both still being eyed up by vcs. Hannah Miller is across it all and that intersection. But let's just pivot back a little bit more to the world of crypto because it has been done the pressure, certainly from a regulatory perspective.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I actually am envious of Hannah Miller because that's a great beat to have because everyone that was pummeling money into that space is just pivoted. So we are reporting good guests to talk about that with Chris Lahane Hahn, Venture's chief strategy officer, but also a member of coinbases Global Advice Recouncil.
Speaker 3: So let's start there.
Speaker 4: Actually, it is the story of the week, the sec suing coinbase, alleging securities breaches. What does your role entail as an advisory member to the global boards?
Speaker 11: So thanks for having me as always, so coinbase has stood up and announced and.
Speaker 10: Global advisory board.
Speaker 11: It's bipartisan, has Democrats and Republicans, it's global. You know, my specific roles, I have a bit of a background of having worked with disruptive, innovative companies trying to work within the system in a responsible way to bring regulatory certainty and clarity.
Speaker 3: People also call you a political operator.
Speaker 11: Well, that's another way of maybe putting it, But politics is always part of that, you know, ultimately, you know, we live in a democracy, small d democracy. Politics does ultimately impact as it should and inform policy, which ultimately brings regulatory certainty. And so a lot of what I've done over my career, I've been in government, I've run major campaigns, and I've certainly advised really innovative companies that are disrupting their status quo, but how can they do that in a really responsible way? And I think Coinbase in the crypto space has been really that leading platform seeking to do it in a responsible way, US based going through the processes, working with regulators. It's disruptive, it's trying to update the financial system. That's a big deal, but it's trying to really do it in a responsible way.
Speaker 4: Brian Armstrong twenty four hours ago, was asked about the timing of the SEC filing suits against both Coinbase and Finance in the matter of forty eight hours The word he used was conflate or confuse. What's your reaction to the timing of those two actions.
Speaker 11: So I grew up in Maine, and we used to have a saying when you go to bed at night and there's no snow on the ground, and you wake up in the morning there's snow, you can pretty safely conclude it has snowed over the course of the evening.
Speaker 10: This is a sort of policy version of that.
Speaker 11: I think members of Congress, both Democrats and Republicans, have expressed concern about the timing of this. And I'll say this as someone who has been in government historically in this country, our regulators that oversee financial sectors have been understood and really by design to be fair arbiterras, to be umpires, to call balls and strikes. And I do think if you look at how this played out this week, taking something as apples and something that's oranges, conflating them and putting them together, and doing it right before there's a major congressional hearing to actually begin the process of bringing clarity to this space, I do think that raises some serious, profound questions, like our system works because there is a rule of law part of that rule of law is those umpires calling those walls and strikes fairly, I think in this process and real serious questions have been raised.
Speaker 3: Okay, so rules yep.
Speaker 4: I remember two years ago when coin based file to go public, it wrote in no uncertain terms there is a high degree of uncertainty regarding the legality of operations. It wrote, regulators may disagree with the company's view, it isn't covered.
Speaker 3: By their rules.
Speaker 4: Armstrong's welcoming the opportunity to go to cool and use that tossess precedent. Is that a good idea, a good way of resolving this.
Speaker 11: You know, ultimately you're going to have to break the eggs a little bit to make the omelet on this. I think as part of this process and part of the journey, and so I do think one way or the other, either through the legal process or through legislation, you are going to get.
Speaker 3: Clarity into which is better to look.
Speaker 11: In my view as someone who comes out of politics and policy, Like the countries, you have a first principles approach, right there should be a strategic approach to how you want to deal with this industry. The rest of the world is actually moving forward really fast.
Speaker 10: To put frameworks in place.
Speaker 11: They specifically want to be crypto hubs because they understand that this is going to be a big part of the financial rails.
Speaker 10: Of the future.
Speaker 11: If you default to a legal process, companies like coinbase will certainly get their clarity. Remember this involves twelve tokens out of more than two hundred that the platform has on its exchange.
Speaker 10: But you'll get the clarity through that.
Speaker 11: I think it's far better from a US perspective, from an economic competitive perspective, from a national security.
Speaker 10: Of if you're actually doing this with a real strategy.
Speaker 11: Look, I was involved in the nineteen ninety six TAELC Act that began with a really whole.
Speaker 10: Set of complex ideas.
Speaker 11: President Bill Clinton took a big step back and said, hey, look at let's have a first principle's approach. I want tech to be based in the United States. That's what I want, and he put forth legislation and they've done in a bipartisan way.
Speaker 10: You flash forward to where we are today. The US has.
Speaker 11: Emerged as the center of the global economy because we are the center of tech.
Speaker 4: Well, paradoxically, emphasis on the word global in your advisory type. So how does coinbase grow itself outside of the jurisdiction of the United States, to your mind, I mean, what are you advising them to do well.
Speaker 11: I think they've been doing a great job of diversifying where they are geographically as well as their products and services. No, Brian has done a little bit of a world toward Brian Armstrong, the CEO, over the last couple of months, was in London, has been in Dubai, Companiess been in Brazil. These are all places that are actually putting frameworks in place. I mean, the UK has an announcement today about the next steps in its process. The PM has made clear Prime Minister sou Neck has made clear he wants London to be a hub. You think of the historic rails that have existed in London historically, going back several hundred years. One of the first central banks was developed in London, the Bank of England, and you think of the Commonwealth and the role that that crypto could play in actually advancing that system. Like I think Sunek actually sees enormous opportunity here and.
Speaker 10: Has talked about it. But that's not the only place.
Speaker 11: Japan this week actually moved forward with specific regulations and activity and again, so you see what is happening. There was a recent report from Electric Capital, another venture firm here in the valley, and they indicated that the US is losing market share of crypto developers. A million jobs, high quality engineering jobs on the table in the next five or six years. Are they going to take place here or we're gonna send that offshore?
Speaker 10: And look, just this week it was.
Speaker 11: An interesting week for US at Han we announced a project or a project that we're invested. It was announced it's called Argus Labs, just the first sort of computer gaming club platform bailt on top of blockchain. The founder of this is a young twenty year old came from Indonesia to age of sixteen to the University of California computer science program, graduated really early. Like he is literally the first round pick that you want if you're a kind.
Speaker 3: Of where is he in one word?
Speaker 11: And he's here in the United States building this project, right and he should be. This is we want to attract these jobs and these entrepreneurs.
Speaker 4: All right, Chris Lahane of Hahn Bench, is never enough time with you, Thank you.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Time now for talking tech. First up, want to make use of your car when you're not using it yourself. Well, look, Uber has plans for that. The right haling giant will launch Uber car Share. It's a peer to peer service that it says we'll make its business more sustainable, competing with startups like get Around in Turo. Meanwhile, the company wants to cut of missions to zero by converting its entire fleet of cars to electric by twenty forty.
Speaker 1: Tesla's are the highest selling cars in terms of electric vehicles by mile. At the same time, we're not you know, we want electrification to happen, and that's not just going to happen on Tesla. You know, we need forwards out there, gms out there, Toyoto's out there, et cetera. We need all these other players to go electric.
Speaker 2: Darren Cosla, Shahee with Emini Chang there. Meanwhile, Adobe says it's willing to take up certain legal fees for its users with its new Artificial Intelligence subscription. For a flat rate, users can use its AI tools across Adobe products with legal assurance against copyright infringement claims. Class TikTok wants to expand its global e commerce business to as much as twenty billion dollars in merchandise sales this year. So also say the video content apps is banking on rapid growth in Southeast Asia in particular likes of Indonesia. Expansion in Europe or here in the US. That's also expected, and it's interesting considering some of the legal pushbacks that we're getting from law makers both particular region.
Speaker 4: Said Yeah, I want to stick with this company in this story because it's one we track closely. Here with more details Bloombergs Technology edit to Sarah Fryer. They're just plowing on business despite the regulatory headwind it is.
Speaker 12: It's really fascinating too that this is an area that a lot of their competitors have stumbled on. We've seen Instagram try social shopping, We've seen YouTube, We've seen a lot of other attempts at getting US users and European users to mix their scroll with getting their credit card out, and it just hasn't worked as well in the US as it has in China. That's not to say that TikTok couldn't make it work, because of course they have had great success in all of these endeavors that we found they might not do well at. But one reason they need to is because the advertising business, just like it is for everyone else, is slowing.
Speaker 2: Good diversification point there also, it probably won't be bad to get some big US European retailers liking the business model. I don't think it would be bad.
Speaker 12: And I think also when you look at this twenty billion number, they're not really relying on the US and Europe to get there. They're going to be relying on Southeast Asia, in particular Indonesia, where this behavior is very strong, and so I think that for this year it's really going to be a test case in the US and Europe. But they're hoping to get to that twenty billion mostly just by expansion in.
Speaker 2: Those markets, getting some other key voices perhaps to fight for your well remaining within certain countries and operating I'm sure wouldn't be a negative from outcome for these particular TikTok at the moment Saraha was great to have her on. Welcome back to Blue bed Technology. I'm Caroline Hyde in New York.
Speaker 4: And I'm Ed Ludlow out here in San Francisco. Paying a quick tension carried to the market is interesting day. A lot of green on the screen. Look at them as that one hundred. The charge continues up one point four percent. You talked about it earlier. It's a case of kind of good news is bad news or bad news is good news as it relates to economic data and the FED jobless claims coming in higher than expected last week. Elsewhere, we see chips push high, the Philadelphia Seductor Index up one point three percent, yields pulling back a little bit three point seven percent on the US tenure, and Bitcoin staying at around twenty six thousand, five hundred.
Speaker 3: Dollars per token.
Speaker 4: There's been volatility in our favorite risk asset with what's been going on with the SEC, finance and coinbase. In terms of specific movers, actually want to take another look at Adobe. I know that we've got the details of what's going on in terms of the subscription for their Generative AI offering.
Speaker 3: We're up five percent.
Speaker 4: Now, this is a stock trading at a August high, but the second best performer on the S and P five hundred. AI continues to be a driver in this market in newsflow but also inequities. And I think that's so interesting because another day, another headline in investors to buy a.
Speaker 2: Car, and another announcement as well. They come thick and fast. We want to talk about the latest generative AI announcement coming from Gong. It's an AI platform that helps revenue teams really boost their productivity to increase sales growth. Today they're announcing Gong Engaged is an AI driven sales engagement solution using customer interactions. Can discuss the product and its own proprietary generative AI models. CEO Army and of thank you for joining us Army And how long was this in the making. Are you suddenly florrying out new announcements because everyone else has got one? Or has this been something that you're building for a while.
Speaker 13: I've founded the company in twenty fifteen when I realized that I was a CEO of a company here in New York City, and I realized that our people are spending like way too much time entering customer information like into our CRM system, and ninety nine percent of the work doesn't get done and they hate it. So my thinking was, if AI can beat the world champion in chess, and if AI can diagnose cancer better than doctor, why can't do all these like drudgery better than people? That was the idea for Gong and that's what we uh, that's what we started, and that's what we've been building ever since.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if you've been building on these announcements, for example, since twenty fifteen, does it frustrate you that yesterday we had Twilio on Discovered discussing their generator of AI. The day before, everyone's got some latest announcement.
Speaker 3: It excites me. Why would it frustrated?
Speaker 13: When we started, it was a challenge to raise money because people didn't believe that AI can replace people's work. Now we don't have to prove that companies are coming. We need to reduce costs with AI. How can you help? So it actually provides like huge validation. We're excited. We think like every company is going to have something with AI. The question like what are you doing with us? So it's actually super helpful and exciting.
Speaker 2: To that point, what really got everyone realizing the potential of AI was it course chatch ebt it's unveiling in November and the iterations thereafter. What why are you basing it on your own generative varier models, your own proprietary data?
Speaker 13: Great question. We have about sixty models. We also use open Aiyes, model, which is great, but we have like special purpose models for almost everything from understanding speech, from punctuating text, from summaryings, identifying action items, recommending people within the organization. So when you train specific model, you can get much higher accuracy and reliability rather than relying on public domain knowledge.
Speaker 4: I mean, have you already started thinking about efficiencies and you know hard to ask, but eliminating roles at your company because of the impact that these tools will have.
Speaker 13: Seventy percent of customer facing time is wasted on non productive work. It things like updating record in ternal meetings, sifting through records. And these are people that are making six figures, so it doesn't make sense to do all the work all along. We said AI can replace that and our users a lot that they don't have to do this drudgery. They can spend more time with customers. So it doesn't necessarily mean like limiting new jobs mean limiting the drudgery from our day to day.
Speaker 4: You talks about being sort of technology agnostics sixty llms. I think you said that you are utilizing, but what's it like doing business with open AI? Is it good value for money for you? Building something on top of GPT three point five or four.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure what you use.
Speaker 13: Yes, they've been a great partner. We've been working with them for over a year and allow us early access to the latest stuff and allows us to use them for some of the applications. So been wonderful to work with and we're excited that they're successful and helping prove to the world that A is real and can make like a huge difference.
Speaker 4: Since you've shown your hand in your competence of generative AI tools, how many of your investors have phoned you asked if you should raise more money, asked about valuation? Do you have a higher evaluation now the AI is attached to your business?
Speaker 13: There are We've raised plenty of money. We've raised six hundred million dollars to day. Like even before AI was cool, people saw the user excitement and the value that Gong is creating. So we don't need to raise We're not raising right now. We're actually not burning a ton of money. But definitely there is a ton of inbound interest. There's no shorts of people that want to invest that they recognize the massive technotic shifts that we're experiencing right now.
Speaker 2: I mean, we came to off a look at Adobe and the fact that they're willing to take some well legal risk on board. And we are beset with what are the ramifications the generative AI? What are the copyright what is the bias? What is the negative repercussions? How do we regulate it? How are you thinking about that within your business?
Speaker 13: AI is powerful and needs to be regulated. We put a lot of effort both on privacy, security, disclosure of information. So the system needs to be helpful and not threatening to people, right, so everything is transparent and I think like every company should put regulatory control and I think both at the company level but also the country and a global level.
Speaker 2: I mean, great to have some time with you. We thank you. Army Bendov of course have gone the CEO there. Meanwhile, talking of AI Leok, the UK Prime Minister Rishisunak is on a diplomatic visit right here to the US. He's in Washington and he's seeking stronger economic ties with the United States. Basunak is also pursuing a leadership role for the UK in the international regulation of you guessed at AI. This follows the UK government's announcements last night that's going to be hosting the first major global summit on Artificial intelligen safety in the fall. On that note, President Biden will hold a joint press conference with Prime Minister Withhusunak in just about an hour's time. And you can tune in on a terminal at Life Go if you're like enough to have one.
Speaker 3: End coming up.
Speaker 4: More on AI and on the investing side, this time with Kliine Perkins, Bucky Moore. That's next. Got to take a look at carl Vana. This is a monster move currently up forty two percent. Carrow had been up fifty one percent, biggest move on record on an intra day basis better than expected forecast for financial results. This is like the vending machine of cars right picture. It stacked high, You press the button of the car you want and it spits out. But also a heavy emphasis online sales during the pandemic, that shortage of second hand Just what will track this one?
Speaker 3: It's absolutely insane. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 4: Artificial intelligence company. Coher raised two hundred and seventy million dollars from a mix of venture capital and strategic investors, according to coh's president and COO. In Ovia Capital led the round with participation from Oracle, Nvidia and Salesforce Ventures, Existing Inventor Investor, Index Ventures, and some others. The startup is valued in the round at two point one billion to two point two billion dollars, according to.
Speaker 3: A Bloomberg source.
Speaker 4: Let's stick with the world of VC and AI and bring in Bucky Moore, partner at Kleine Perkins, who's been focused on investments across infrastructure, compute, and AI for the firm.
Speaker 3: For I would say quite some.
Speaker 4: Time, welcome to the program. I've always just wanted to sit down with you and say what is going on in your world?
Speaker 14: Well, first of all, thank you so much for having me. It's great to be here. And in terms of what's going on in our world, we are in the midst of a ce change that AI is driving in terms of how technology is really impacting or working in personal lives.
Speaker 3: And I think when we see.
Speaker 14: A generational shift come along like this as venture capitalists, we get really excited. And what we're focused on at this moment is really partnering with these innovative, visionary founders that have a unique point of view and how to bring this technology to big markets and in doing so, hopefully make all of our working in personal lives a lot more interesting, more efficient, and exciting.
Speaker 4: When I look at your Friday companies and also the types of exits, what do I conclude You're focused on AI native or AI adjacent companies because every enterprise SaaS software company is now saying.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm an AI company.
Speaker 14: So I consider myself to be an infrastructure investor. And what I mean by infrastructure is the underpinnings that power these digital experiences that we're increasingly relying on to live our lives. And when I think about AI, I think of it as yet another one of these underpinnings that is going to change how software gets developed, change the kind of software that we find in our working in personal lives, and ultimately bring all of these new capabilities to the world that we just haven't seen before. And so I'm thinking about it from that lens as yet another piece of infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bucky, go deep for us for a moment, because reading your note that you put out each it was back an end of February you put it out, but the future of infrastructure, and even then you were calling about the impact of AI. You're talking about integrating it into software vector databases is something you were looking at built for storage, where for you starts to attract you of allocating money right now because you must be besieged with opportunities.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So, taking a step back, we think about this space really in three layers. At the very bottom layer, what you have is the hardware and software that allows us to deliver these computing platforms that help us train and develop these models. At the layer above that you have tooling and infrastructure that helps us integrate these models into the software that makes the technology usable and accessible. And then of course at the very top layer, what you have our applications. And so examples of these applications in the Cliner Perkins portfolio include companies like Glean, who's bringing language models to business search, or at Synthesia, who's bringing diffusion models to generative video. And what we see time and time again is that value can accrue at all three layers of that stack. And so as an infrastructure investor, specifically at Clinderperkins, what I'm very focused on are those bottom two layers, so the infrastructure that allows us to deliver these computing platforms that ultimately make it possible to develop and train these models and the tools in infrastructure, such as vector databases that make it possible for developers to integrate these models into their applications.
Speaker 2: Those models and particularly the foundational models, Bucky, does it matter whether we end up going more towards proprietary models and open AI? Does it end up being more open source? Do we have more of a hugging face situation? Does it matter ultimately, because it's interesting that, of course Klein and Perkins well made its name on backing one are now incredibly huge companies that are deep within AI. Think of Google is are they going to eat all the lunch? Or is there room for startups in the space.
Speaker 14: So, Caroline, I think it absolutely matters. It matters a lot. And the way I think it matters is time and time again, what we've seen is the technology that comes along that is as useful as this, it tends to trend towards commoditization. And an embodiment of that trend towards commoditization is the proliferation of open source alternatives to these proprietary models that we're really starting to see more and more often actually stand up to the capabilities that developers are looking for when pursuing use cases with AI. So I think it matters a lot, and I personally hope and believe that we're going to enter a world where we're going to have best in class models that are proprietary in nature from the likes of companies like open AI and Anthropic and so on, and then we're going to have a vast landscape of open source models that asymptotically approach the performance of those best in class proprietary models over time, but also make this technology accessible to anyone.
Speaker 4: There is a temptation for us to spend the entire show talking about AI.
Speaker 3: Other things are going on in your world.
Speaker 4: The story of the week is Sequoia splitting into three businesses. I know that Kina Perkins is China business basically operates independently as well, but.
Speaker 3: What do you make of that?
Speaker 4: And I guess if we are going to tie it to AI, we recognize their entrepreneurs in China doing things in the field of AI as well.
Speaker 14: So the venture capital industry continues to evolve and has evolved a substantial amount over the past few days kids And one of the ways it's evolved is it has grown a lot in size, but at Cleiner Perkins, our view is ultimately focus is the winning formula, and what we mean by focus is focus on stage, focus on sector, and focus on geography. So the Clinder Perkins that you see today is one that is really thinking through that lens of focus and shaping our strategy. And I think that's where we'll be for many years to come. And that's ultimately what we think the winning formula is in this business.
Speaker 4: What's the read through from that to crypto? And I know that's not automatically your area, but what we hear from the vcs that come on this program is all the inbound has disappeared and anyway, all of our outbound is going to AI.
Speaker 3: I just wondered what your view was on that.
Speaker 14: So I think all of the regulatory conversations that are going on with respect to crypto make it a very uncertain place for new businesses to be built. And so I think what you are starting to see is that there's a shift in attention towards AI, which is very ferral ground by comparison at the moment. My hope is that the regulatory conversation comes to a head and in a way that continues to allow people to innovate in that space as well. But what we're seeing now is undoubtedly askew toward AI.
Speaker 2: I hate to bring it up, but AI doomas or optimists. I mean, you sound relatively optimistic about all the productivity that can be drawn from this, But what do you make of either the worry about well the destruction of humanity or indeed the more near term risks of bias and other risks that are currently being involved in this situation when we apply AI.
Speaker 14: So I think it's absolutely critical that as we start to shape the future of this technology, both from the innovation and the regulatory side, that both of those sides come together so that one another's perspectives are heard and that we are able to balance safety and innovation as we move the regulatory landscape.
Speaker 3: Forward around this technology.
Speaker 14: And I think if we skew one way or the other too far, the outcome will be suboptimal. And so I think that balance is really what I'm looking for and what I'm optimistic that we'll find as an industry.
Speaker 2: Buckimore, it's been great having time with you. Thank you, partner, Klina Perkins. It's been more than seventy two hours now since Eniol Musk passed over that torch to Twitter's new CEO, da Yakarino after a pretty tumultuous reign as the head of the social company he took over. In the premiere of a new Bloomberg original series, Emi Chang sits down for an exclusive interview with the former CEO, Evan Williams and Jason Gorman, one of the most critical members of the Twitter's founding, to discuss the move. His a peak at tonight's episode of the Circuit with Emni Chang.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was surprising.
Speaker 15: I mean, I'm trying to remember the first bursting on or if I was even aware of it.
Speaker 16: Were you the idea that he was going to buy the company to me initially seeing like, oh, he's not going to be really serious about this. It's going to be like the way you sort of, you know, put in a reservation on like a fancy sports car.
Speaker 15: There have been a couple moments where I'm like, oh, I started this thing with some other people a long time ago in this little office and then the world's richest man bought it, and it's this big news story.
Speaker 3: Like how did how did that happen?
Speaker 1: That's weird.
Speaker 17: Was there any part of you that was like, well, this is interesting. Maybe it's a little interesting.
Speaker 15: Yes, I like interesting things to happen, right, I'm not a fan of things staying the way they are. I mean, that's why we do tech, that's why we start new things. Twitter had been getting better and better, actually, the trajectory of improvements in the year or two prior to Elon. But then it was like Elon, Holy, Holy Holy, he does crazy things. This will be interesting and fun. We'll see what happens. Yeah, we made differ on this foot.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean I was just concerned because, like everything he was talking about that he wanted to do with the product seem pretty lightly considered. We got to defeat all the bots, and you know, there's all this stuff about like the culture wars. But it became clear over time. No, that is his primary interest in owning the platform. It's the kind of push on these particular cultural issues and his own personal use of the product he wants to make better.
Speaker 3: So how do you feel about what he's done so far? I don't think he's done it in quite right yet. Well, it's gone pretty poorly.
Speaker 16: I mean, just objectively speaking, the move's fast sort of mythos is blied by the most of the things that have been pushing out the door, like Twitter, Blue or view counts. Make sure you amplify my tweets so that everyone sees them, which is again, if you own the product, you can do that. It's just a curious way to product manage of Guess who'd want.
Speaker 2: To talk more? Emiy Chang, host of the circuit, Congratulations, thank you Emii. They could laugh and be lighthearted, but it must be emotional. And moreover, they were observers. There were people there in the trunches who was deeply emotional for and you got to speak to them too, absolutely so.
Speaker 17: Ev It was interesting because you know, he started off. You know, I was, I was interested. I thought, you know, maybe this could be cool. But when it actually happened, I was sad.
Speaker 10: You don't.
Speaker 17: I didn't think it was actually going to happen. And I was surprised at my own emotion. And he added that, yes, Elon Musk is brilliant, but nobody's brilliant about everything. And I did talk to four former employer a couple who were fired, one who was laid off, one who resigned, and they were also sad. So I think there's this level of grief at what could have been and the idea that Twitter's never going to be what it once was, even if it wasn't perfect right, even if it had a lot of work to do, even if things needed to be changed. You know, we're not going back to that. I think it's going to be hard.
Speaker 4: Emily, one of the few perks of this job is that I've seen the full episode. No spoises here, but you know, it's really authentic. You know, those are two well known names. They balance kind of acknowledging that Twitter needed to change with it was. It's not a success so far. What else can we expect in this series to come? What personalities, what kind of observations.
Speaker 2: So you know, as you both.
Speaker 17: Know, I've been I hosted this show for a really long time, and it was so amazing to talk to all of these people.
Speaker 2: Over the course of twelve years.
Speaker 17: What I really wanted to do with the circuit was go out into the field and spend more time with these people who are making huge decisions that are affecting the lives of billions and billions of people. So, you know, we're going into Brian Chesky, the CEO of Airbnb's Home. We are talking to Bill Gurley over barbecue in Texas. You're seeing Natalie Portman there, who just founded a women's soccer team, talking about how to apply tech models to women's sports. Sacha Nadella, We're going inside Open Ai, and you know, it was just a huge opportunity to talk about how tech is changing at this moment in time.
Speaker 4: No spoilers, but Emily and I will be doing a Twitter spaces at four pm easton one pm Pacific later and we'll give you some more details. Emily Chang so good to see new episodes of the circuit, airing every Thursday ten pm Eastern on Bloomberg TV. You can also catch you on the Bloomberg app eight pm Eastern, Bloomberg dot Com, and the Companion Podcast. That's it for Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg