Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: I like the way I like the way them fingers tickle.
Speaker 3: That's a mirror.
Speaker 1: Oh oh wow.
Speaker 4: Well they'll they'll.
Speaker 3: I like the way you're.
Speaker 5: Finish, you know, I mean thank you what, I'm honored. I think, you know, I play a little song.
Speaker 6: I think type like a person that like went to type in class.
Speaker 2: Do you do an d F and.
Speaker 6: Hyland?
Speaker 2: That ship one of the best things we ever learned in school.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this though.
Speaker 3: My children have computers to run their lives, but they never learned how to type. So like they can do it, but like it's they do this.
Speaker 1: They typed like a police police officers on television.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna bring Jason and the place and.
Speaker 1: All right, well, ladies and gentlemen, we've come to that time of the year again. You know, guys, we're creeping up on our fifth year as a family. I believe that shit is crazy. It is crazy twenty sixteen when we started right sixteen, Yeah, I kind of feel like it's always weird. Like I always feel like we're on our proverbial like second year going into maybe the third year, like but we're we're about to be half a half a decade deep in this. We're no longer the bell of the ball, you know. Ogs straight up, I feel like someone's gonna be like goobies anymore.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you're still doing this after.
Speaker 1: I didn't think I would be doing this for five years when I agreed.
Speaker 7: When Sean called me and was like, hey, you want to do this, I was like, yeah, I didn't think it last couple.
Speaker 1: Of months, right other episode, Nobody can find the.
Speaker 6: Same way Alec Alec Baldwin felt about playing Trump. It just sneaks somebody, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the whole thing exactly.
Speaker 8: The fact that no one's like, why Trump didn't like look into Alec Baldwin being the one that would have voted multiple times just so he wouldn't have to play anymore. It seems like that's where I would have gone immediately. If anybody's pulling those levers and making those you know, connecting those dots, it's gonna be Alex.
Speaker 1: Like all right. So I was about to say that it's it's our this is our year ender episode, and as usual, uh, we bring in a spirit, a very special guest with us to sort of trade off the review of the year. This year, of course being unlike any other year we've ever had, so this will probably be a less about movies, TVs and and and you know, records that we've got into, even though we'll talk about it. But always good to have an outside voice into our circle. It's one of my favorite cats. Of course, you know his legacy from SNL and of course, I mean it comes from the school of of Second City. We've seen all of this films, name them from Horrible Bosses to Hall Past the Colossal. I'm like going on the top them out.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, like when it when it's like real friends, I don't do the preppy thing, but.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Wait, you know what that actually says how lazy I am? Because I someone a friend of mine who I knew for seven years hits me last night at one in the morning and she says, oh my god, you're the group that does you got me wow? And I was like, wait, we know each for seven years, what exactly do you know me for?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she said, like I know. Jimmy Foulon tried to blame it on it, but she's like thirty something, But no, no, no, no, no no. But there's this thing we we should all everyone in this room has some sort of neuoriety where you have that one person that just wants to go the extra mile to neg you, you know, like act like they don't care, like, oh, I know you as a mirror. That's I get that more than anything in life, like I used to. But my thing is that is not humbling like that. That's not like you're not getting a gold star because like you're not going to figure out who I am. But anyway, I digress. My whole point was that I should, even with friends come on the show, I should prep and have their history ready and treat them as regular guests, not just go off the top. But you know in Drum I'm a fan as well. Anyway, please welcome Jason's Well, I want to. I want to do it, Jason, simply because when we get to the TV portion, uh yeah. The one show that I did not expect to be on my Wow, that was cool. Bengo twenty twenty list was definitely ted Lasso, Like, I had no idea how cool?
Speaker 6: Gotcha?
Speaker 1: That show was gotcha very amazing.
Speaker 6: Hey, if I had, if I hadn't been there. The whole time I would have been with you, I'd be like, what is this piece of dog shit? But I.
Speaker 8: Had a good view soup to nuts on that whole thing, and I was kind of this, yeah, no, it's it's thank you.
Speaker 1: No, it is it is man all right. So okay, what I want to do is uh some rapid fire. I know we usually have our list ready and we go in a circle. But you know, some of us can ans of these things. Some of us don't have to. But I will start with layah.
Speaker 2: Damn, I ain't.
Speaker 1: That's some lady first. Ladies first, lean back.
Speaker 9: I lean back, like I know I'm gonna be in the cut. I'm gonna wait, okay here, I come on.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we'll start with an easy one. Give yourself some props. In twenty twenty, I.
Speaker 9: I got two more jobs.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes you did.
Speaker 9: I did, just trying to be like my brothers, well all of y'all actually, motherfucker's on here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from Steve to from here to Fonte to Bill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm even Jason has various jobs like yeah, yeah jobs next, Bill Sherman.
Speaker 5: I became a homeschooling almost alcoholic.
Speaker 2: Supposed to be positive.
Speaker 1: I think that's what that's probab Bill. You don't know, Bill, guess what? Same? Yeah, but I don't with it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, hey.
Speaker 1: Yo same just step stepdad.
Speaker 8: Now, oh god, I mean can you remember, like like think about like.
Speaker 6: July August, how jingly all of.
Speaker 8: Our recycling bags were taking them out to the tracks.
Speaker 1: It was it was recycling. He was starting.
Speaker 6: I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 8: I pull it out of the thing because normally there would be paper in there. They're like Amazon boxed something to cut it. No, just glass on glass on.
Speaker 1: The Warriors right, exactly.
Speaker 9: The biggest of box wine makers. They stepped it up this year. I just wanted to also say.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, homeschooler on the Geographic Spelling Bee.
Speaker 3: But ship.
Speaker 7: In twenty twenty. In twenty twenty, I think I just I got to the route. It was just a lot of stuff. I finally had time. I think, like a lot of people, I finally had time just to really sit still and think about things. And so I just cleaned up a lot of stuff in my life, just a lot of things that a lot of old behaviors, a lot of old you know, thought patterns, a lot of practices, I'm in the middle now in the presenct now like selling my townhouse, like I had, like rental property, and I was like, yeah, I've got rental property, this and that.
Speaker 1: But I realized I don't want to be no landlord. Dude, Like, fuck this shit, you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Anything that gets in the way of me getting to the chair and working on my craft, that ship gota get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 4: For you.
Speaker 1: That was a big thing for me, Okay, Sugar, Steve haircut. Yeah, man came in. He came in with the number two on the ball shop. What wait, can we ask about this haircut? Steve?
Speaker 10: He got confidence, but people are fascinated my haircuts.
Speaker 1: Dude. You know what I'm saying. You bring back the Tom Hanks bos and Buddy eighty three.
Speaker 2: Look, I think that's the cut up.
Speaker 1: That's the uncle ned. He bringing back the uncle ned Tom Hanks from No, you'll hear.
Speaker 2: Me the cut. That's the cut up haircut.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see you understand what he got new, Sugar.
Speaker 3: In the bud, Sugar, I'm going to get something.
Speaker 1: Look at me, Steve. Anytime a woman enters the stratosphere, everything changes. We get a haircut, we got sexy ass lights in the background, red light.
Speaker 3: Haircut.
Speaker 11: At the end of the day.
Speaker 1: You Steve, it looks good man, you look younger.
Speaker 3: Well, the real story is my dad.
Speaker 10: It's it's who apparently still thinks it's nineteen sixty two and it's okay to tell tell your son to cut his hair.
Speaker 11: Uh, this is what he wanted for honiguan hair.
Speaker 1: Wait was it conditional when you know what your gifts?
Speaker 11: No, this haircut is five it's a five figure haircut.
Speaker 1: It worked out for everybody.
Speaker 3: Was it was a good time. He really made him happy.
Speaker 11: So whatever, just hair.
Speaker 6: So what's the question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in.
Speaker 10: I I I didn't drop dead.
Speaker 3: That's good fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 1: You go, margals your life.
Speaker 10: Okay, I didn't start drinking and and I put out a couple of records and most importantly was able to continue to to work and.
Speaker 3: Go to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah man, that's real work.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: Well, yeah, continuously working, but then being able to go back to thirty rocks around when July or something like that, When do we go back?
Speaker 2: Is that that's that it? Because that was a long answer.
Speaker 11: Well, half my aunt, half my an, we're talking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, hairgate, you know, hair.
Speaker 1: Okay, well great, that's great, all right, Jason, give yourself hair crops in twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: In twenty twenty, I I put on thirty pounds and then I took off thirty pounds.
Speaker 3: A yeah, real look good over there.
Speaker 6: I appreciate that, you know, but no.
Speaker 8: I mean it's something yeah, because it was it was a slow it was a slow march towards it. And then I stepped on a scale and I came in. I was coming in at two o five, which is, you know, outside my comfy zone, and yet I was I was rocking, you know, mostly shorts and hoodies, so you can kind of don't feel it.
Speaker 6: But I knew that I wasn't feeling myself.
Speaker 8: And then over the last like yeah, over the last you know, six weeks, I just kind of like got it, you know, got after it and was like, let's see, we gotta we gotta end twenty twenty on a make and so yeah.
Speaker 6: But it wasn't like it wasn't a it was it was.
Speaker 8: It was more emotional stuff and you know, uh like I mean, yes, a little bit of diet and and a little bit of being active, but it was mostly just kind of like just yeah, just like you know, like you were saying other about, you know, turning off some of the noise and just kind of like, okay, what's what what have I got doing? Get back, get back to feeling yourself and then you know, not soon after that you can actually see yourself again.
Speaker 1: So good did you take when y'all were taping tools? So did you did you take the weight off before then or prior to it?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 8: Like when we shot all that last fall, like basically you know, mid like August to mid November. So it was pretty much a steady, a steady into this, you know, because because you know, having a.
Speaker 6: Regiment, you know, where you wake up, you know, you have your yogurt, you know.
Speaker 8: Then you drink a bunch of water through the day, like it's when you know, it's when I started to go off the clock, and you know, then it was editing, uh and then it was you know the writer's zoom, you know, which I'm less inclined to, you know, fuck around snacks when they're right in front of me. But then when you're at home then it's like then putting the kids to bed late and then not eating until ten o'clock and just on and mother, Oh my god.
Speaker 6: And it's just like a pounds.
Speaker 8: A week and you don't even realize it, you know, because your pants are kind of like going with you just like I'm like, oh no, like you know, like between my like like my body and the like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was just like, no, this is this, this cannot cannot continue. So yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Why Peloton is making a killing. Exactly who this week? Somebody knew this week out of Peloton?
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly a result.
Speaker 1: Okay, so from a one to ten, Like, yeah, how much did you change in twenty twenty from one to ten? How much did you change? What's your number?
Speaker 2: My inner self, like my inner inner self just general, you know what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 9: I feel so bad and saying this in this whole COVID life is a five. I'm gonna say a five because my change is more than physical and being and being still, so it's more so I'm gonna say five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the first time I really felt like I lived in California.
Speaker 1: Wow, because you weren't traveling so much.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because I was always traveling and going back and forth to the East Coast and whatnot.
Speaker 1: So but you know, yeah, you miss traveling or a well I'm.
Speaker 9: Sure now, hell yeah, I was just thinking the other day. I was like, I miss us in a room recording together. I miss my parents, I miss people who I did. I miss East Coasters like that love. I just missed Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 8: See miss I mean I missed like Airplane Wi Fi, you know, or or watching a movie you never would pick normally, because like.
Speaker 9: Jason, I was going to tell you, that's a good way to pick what you some of your favorite movies of the year.
Speaker 6: It was like, what we and yet and yet I haven't been.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like I went back to New York from you know, to play you know the last time I played Joe Biden like and whatever. It was January February, right before the COVID lockdown. And I can't tell you what the hell I did on that. I probably watched cuts of ted Lasso.
Speaker 6: Because I was in the middle of that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was looking at my I opened my Regal app the other day and to see because I was thinking, like, what was the last movie I saw on it? Dude, I could I literally could not remember the last one we saw. We went and saw the photograph THEA and yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know your top ten is of the best movie for twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Yes, probably, but I saw.
Speaker 9: I mean I was on cable the other day. The cinematography is beautiful.
Speaker 1: No, it looks great, but yeah, but I saw it.
Speaker 7: That was the last one, and I really had to look that up because I could not remember for shit what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was going to say I do miss Jeff Blue movies, and yeah, you didn't.
Speaker 2: You didn't answer your own question, mister love. Yeah, in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: I I changed, Okay, college a lot. I didn't change. How did you change? I mean, we see the way we saw the weight loss. Congrats on that. I saw. That was just in general. Man, I never slowed down, you know. I was challenged to just like I'm I'm the king of no, which is also makes me the king of certainty. Like if there's something I want in life, it's certainty, which is why I like, oh, three jobs, i'll take that. Wait, ten jobs, I'll take that, nineteen jobs, I'll take that. So I should tell you my whole my whole life is based on certainty and survival and that sort of thing. I just I believe people will call that a trauma response. Yes, no, bullshit all right, which is okay. So here's here's the thing. So this year, with with with the with the with one of the records that I listened to this year, you know, Prince released the deluxe edition of Sign of the Times, and so I have a different relationship with that record because there's a period between ninth and eleventh grade in which my parents either had the option to have gas on in the house or I go to this particular school. They sacrificed to put me in a particular school so to not have hot water and gas and all those embarrassing things that teenagers go through, like let's go to your house. No, no, no, no, you can't do that. How can we never get to go to your house? And here, let's go to your crib? You know that sort of thing. You said you had all the soul trees. No, I don't just anything anything to not show you how much you know, because those you know, they were like not snobby rich kids or whatever, but they were like, well they had gas at the middle they had.
Speaker 6: Middle class.
Speaker 8: Yeah, they got one extra roll of toilet paper under this scene.
Speaker 6: Middle class.
Speaker 1: No real day. The day that Sign of the Times came out in March of eighty seven was the day that we got our gas back on. So to go from like eighty four to eighty seven, Like not that taught me such a lesson, but that the lesson I learned when we finally had like hot water on in the heat in the house, Like there was a never again chip that just set off of me that I never let go, never go through that. Yeah, yeah, never again, Like I don't care. Like even like before you had asked me like what are your life goals in me? And I say like, oh okay, I like to achieve it. No do this project. If you'd have asked me, like maybe four years ago, what's your life goal, it would probably just been never to go back to life on Osge Avenue.
Speaker 8: Which I think never again is a big motivator, like like if you when you hit that, like I know, I'm dealing with a netver again personally, I know, and I can think of the immediate never again. That's never allowed me to take a job just for money. I remember that clear as day, and it was.
Speaker 3: Like never again, will I do that?
Speaker 8: It was well, I didn't mean to cut you off, but I just I just I was I can I'll tell you that story for let me let me take it from here, let me no but but but I believe that. I think that never again is a powerful thing, even almost more so than like when you achieve a dream, and like they're like, I'm never going to go back to that again. I'm never going to go back to those patterns. But for me, the never taking a money gig. I was doing comedy sports in Kansas City. I did this thing called like an improv thing, and my buddy Corey ran the you know, ran the office, and he gets a call from like a you know, a company to do a corporate gig where it's like, hey, you know, you'll you'll dress up like you know, Egyptian pharaohs and you'll you'll carry in the person, you know, like almost like Cleopatra style, like you know, the CEO or whatever. And it's like, okay, great, and it's like it'll be two hundred bucks like a half hour. It's like, oh, that's great. I lived with my parents, but that was all CD money, you know and DVDs. We show up there and they give us a costume. And this is right after I was playing college basketball, so like I was in you know, about as good as shape as I've ever been.
Speaker 6: In my life.
Speaker 8: And it was like it was like a loincloth and like like a like a you know, like a whatever, you know, necklace like Ruth Bader Ginsburg kind of thing, and then like these things and basically I had to be like half naked, you know, in the middle around all these people and walk in and I was like, I was.
Speaker 6: Like, I hated it. I hated it with a passion. And I was like, I am never like because I the whole reason I do is because it' two hundred bucks for thirty minutes.
Speaker 8: And I was like, I'm never doing that again. I Am never taking a job solely for the money. And that was my never again and that happened age nineteen.
Speaker 1: You know, I think with me though, and even with the premises of like my earliest book, or at least with two of them, I know that I've stated, especially in the Creativity book, where I talked about deciding what you wanted to be in life is first, Like David Byrne gave me advice where he says, well, first all decide what you're not. And I used to go by that, but I think deep seated. That was there. That was my glass half half empty approach because I never asked myself once what would make me happy? Mm hmm. You know, so you know I, I know you'all tired and eye roll and every.
Speaker 2: Time left us on a cliff.
Speaker 9: Now I want to know what did you come to a conclusion?
Speaker 2: Did you come to I.
Speaker 1: Know that you're all tired of me always like deferring the grace, like you know, because you have to make the change. You just can't say like girlfriend made me do this, but no, she just challenged me. She's like, you you live, you live your life by I don't want to get canceled, and I don't want to fall off, and I don't want to be broke. It's fit. I don't want to be ignored. During the war season, she's like, what do you want to do? Like, if you're living by defense, you can't fly. And then once once I felt it was once I felt it was safe enough, twenty twenty provided the time period where I felt it was safe enough two because we were all in the same time. And then it's like, okay, well what would you like to do? So that's that's why I'll say that that's.
Speaker 2: Where that's a great way to fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I said this recently when we were just talking about like like the concern of like me dealing with with with love. And I'll get into this when when I get my answer, but like the notion that you'd be afraid of making that choice of going for what you want because like the you know, fear of success and you know is just as scary as a fear of failure, right, And so at some point I thought, I thought, Okay, if I was completely vulnerable, if I completely gave over to to something to love, you know specifically, uh, it would feel like I'm falling, but with just with just a little bit of understanding, and after you've fallen for for long.
Speaker 6: Enough, I was like, oh, no, no, no, I'm not falling. I'm actually flying.
Speaker 1: I'm flying.
Speaker 4: I'm flying.
Speaker 8: And it was like I was like, and and that I mean I said that for the first time, like, you know, four days ago, and when I said it, it just spilled out of my mouth. I was like, I was like, oh, I mean that like crazy, And I had no idea that I was going to say that, But it makes all the sense in the world to me because it was one hundred percent fear of falling. And then they're just like, no, I'm not falling. It's like I'm not going to land anywhere.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm flying. It's just you know, same sensation, you know, it just right, just the same amount of wind.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what number would you give yourself from one to ten? How much did you change in twenty twenty?
Speaker 6: Me personally?
Speaker 8: Yeah, me, Jason, I mean I would say I would say, you know, ending ending here at the full extent.
Speaker 1: Of the year at ten, whoa total ten.
Speaker 8: One hundred percent, one hundred percent, one hundred percent very scary, very scary thing. At some point, you know, the universe was was encouraged me to do it and given all given all the indicators, uh, you know, and I was, you know, just you know, like wonder Woman just blocking them all just and then and then and then at some point they just found the gaps and they're like, no, you're gonna have to fucking deal with this. You're gonna have to deal with this in a real, real way. And both the highs of it and the loads of it, you know, internally externally, like from from you know, in a business you know side of things, and how personal I you know, take my business and then also the business of my personal stuff, you know, which which you know, came home the roost and it's like yeah, and I'm better for it and glad it happened.
Speaker 6: But I'm still on that hero's journey. So it's like, yeah, bring on twenty twenty one. I'm ready for it. Nice ten Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Fon Tikolo. What's your number? Man?
Speaker 7: I say probably, I said probably like seven eight. Probably, it was not so much. I don't know if it was so much. Well, it was a big change. It was a big mental shift just then, you know, just things that I you know, just kind of uncovered in therapy and just you know, talking through a lot of stuff. But it wasn't so much a big shift as much as it was just really just settling into myself and realizing what was really important to me and what I really like, you know what I mean, And just one of a big kind of revelation I have. Like when we talk about movies and stuff, you talk about prints, you know, I was watching I was thinking about Jazzy Jeff and he has this thing he always says where he says to die empty, where he talks to creators.
Speaker 1: He says, Yo, die empty, die empty. You know what I'm saying, Like all the stuff you do, you know, write some songs for yourself, give some songs away, produce something for other people, whatever, but whenever you go, make.
Speaker 7: Sure that you know you empty, right, die empty? And I always thought that was amazing. I was like, Yo, that's great, I believe that. But then I kind of thought, you know, just during the show, I was like, you know what, I'm with it, But to die empty is to die early, you know what I mean, Like when I looked at all my people, like when you look at people like Prince, and like when I watched like the Zappa documentary.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying the other night. You know, these were guys that were incredibly prolific, but them niggas die in the fifties. Bruh, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: And it's like I just had the realization of, like, you know, there is no way with the way my mind works and just the way shit is just always come to me, there is absolutely no way that I could die empty because I'm always having There's no way I can write every song that's in my head like it's just no way possible in order for me to fully give myself over to that. I could do it, but literally every aspect of my life would fucking collapse, you know what I'm saying. Everything else will collapse, and you know, and for what for So for me, it's just a big shift of just realizing just to get out what you can, but always make room for the things that are really important. And you know, it ain't cool to die damn four fifty five, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: And that was just kind of a big thing for me of just realizing what was important and just understanding that if you don't write every single if you don't develop every you know, four hundred voice note ideas in your phone, it doesn't mean as an artist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what was I thinking at the time period, Yeah, it's like, dude, you're never gonna you know, just do the ones you can and then just keep it pushing.
Speaker 2: That's a goal.
Speaker 8: To die empty feels like like, uh, you know, like seize the day. Like it's a great idea on paper, but like seize the day hanging out with someone that's like Carpe DM I feel like would be exhausting that.
Speaker 1: Is exhausting as fun.
Speaker 6: Bro It's like rather, it's like it's like Andy Kaufman stand up gigs.
Speaker 8: It's like I'd rather hear about it than be there for the whole thing.
Speaker 1: It's like having Joy Robbins as your friends, Like Nia, I don't need to be motivated all the time.
Speaker 6: What's your inside voice?
Speaker 9: Understand but understand fel is it in this moment and what you're saying, Fante is so beautiful. But that is like a goal, like what you're saying, like to be able to actually sit and say, you know what, I feel like I've done this and I've done that, people know and I'm filling I'm about my family.
Speaker 2: That is like, that's the goal.
Speaker 9: Do it, and to do it at a young age where you are when people are usually.
Speaker 2: Still in the midst of the struggle of still.
Speaker 9: Trying to get to a one dream done. Like I just want to say in this moment, like what a blessing to say that.
Speaker 7: And let me say that, and let me say like because I think it goes it would be kind of tone deaf and not say this. I mean, listen, we are all of us on this call. We are all you know, what most would consider, you know, financially successful people.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You know, we don't have I'm two years off the couch.
Speaker 9: I like to remind people is the first thing I said was I have three jobs because I don't.
Speaker 2: I never want to go back to the couch three years ago Jason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, new money, I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: But still with that.
Speaker 7: But even still with all that though, like just hearing all the stories, I mean, I guess the thing that I just always stress is like the biggest thing I learned, because I mean, we all have a never again story, right, it was was you know, you know the couch and you know the gas and I been there too, like having to heat up you know, water in the in the morning, to take a wash up before school and having the oven all that shit.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: But the thing is, and now, when you when you grow up poor, you think like, okay, man, when I make money, then I'll be straight. All I need is money, money, money, And then you get the money, and you still realize that you got to work on you. And so you know, a lot of times I think that it the one thing that gets missed is like that. The conversation you don't hear is like, yeah, you can make money, and it's great to have money, and it's fantastic, and I'm thankful for the money that I make.
Speaker 1: But your money can't save you from yourself, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: And well, I'm about to say, you know what, those conversations are hurt a lot, especially in around with black folks, because we just getting to the money.
Speaker 1: We're just getting getting the money.
Speaker 2: Part, and we see more money, more problems. Because we just said it was a song.
Speaker 1: It was like, let me get there first, all right, So Steve, what's what's your number?
Speaker 11: How much I've changed?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: One to two?
Speaker 11: Well, the haircut gets me to a five right off.
Speaker 1: The back for real, big facts only up from.
Speaker 11: There, I don't, you know beyond in all seriousness, I don't it's.
Speaker 1: Okay to not have a life changing experiment. Some people still live their lives the same way every day.
Speaker 10: I mean, I changed not much, but from the deaths I'm in I'm in New York City, and that whole early period was rough. The whole seven o'clock people going to their windows and balconies, that was all.
Speaker 11: That was all very so i'll say, I'll say seven.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 10: Also, this is this change too, Like this wrinkle here is moving to the right over here, see it making it right.
Speaker 11: That's a funny, funny thing out there.
Speaker 6: Interesting, it's moving moving across.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: This this these two here, which I call the eleven, we all kind of get. Then this one kind of kind of making a right turn over here. I think that's new from this year downhill.
Speaker 1: All right, sirman, what's your number?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I guess I say a six or seven. I turned forty this year, I think for the first time, like I've been running my whole life.
Speaker 1: Maybe what a life?
Speaker 2: William?
Speaker 1: Wait, I'm ten years older than you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't have red lights in my room. But I'm Phillip's Hugh.
Speaker 6: You know, Phillips Hugh.
Speaker 4: Anybody can do it.
Speaker 5: I turned forty, and I stopped because I've been running so long. It was nice to like stop and look around and like, I don't know, focus on ship that wasn't working and hustling and da da da da, and it was just nice to just take a break for a minute. Like I've been spending a lot of time just about me, which I never do like it's just working, working, work and working, and now it's just like not and it kind of feels good about that. I had to like regroup reading, stop drinking at eleven, like ready to.
Speaker 1: Go fucking math home. Okay, I'm childless. Can you explain to me what is what is that daily? What's the daily grind of a homeschool parent, especially one in New York?
Speaker 3: Up seven thirty, breakfast closed, eight am? First zoom call uh at eight thirty to like two. The kids are on zoom.
Speaker 1: Your school zooms you first, or you zoom the school.
Speaker 3: The kids zoom the school.
Speaker 1: Okay, Uh.
Speaker 5: They work, They break for an hour for lunch, but at at different times, Like the devil has lunch at eleven and the other one has lunch at like one, So it's like a.
Speaker 1: Whole Jason, he has two daughters, and one's the devil and one's not the devil.
Speaker 2: That's you gotta stop, you gotta.
Speaker 4: Two.
Speaker 6: You have a six and a half year old boy, Otis and a little girl, Daisy four.
Speaker 3: Are they totally different?
Speaker 6: They are pretty different?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Like Daisy is like a puppy, and notice is like a cat, you know, like she jumps, right, she jumps right in a pool. You know, he'll take twenty minutes to get in like me.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not just me.
Speaker 8: Uh and then like the devil, the devil, she will be knowing how her mom was as a teenager.
Speaker 6: We can already we see that coming. Yeah, it's clear. It's in her essence.
Speaker 5: Two thirty three, school and homework, hangout, dinner, tower, bed, that's the day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it goes that way perfectly without any like no, but.
Speaker 3: That's just what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's Yeah. Those are those are chords and you solo around those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like there and see and we're playing in like D minor get close, but it's not like real close.
Speaker 1: But does that allow you to do? Because I mean you also work at Sesame Street full time? I do, But like, how do you balance both? Full time is a relative term.
Speaker 3: It's all very you know, metaphoric and artist workship.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 1: Essence, so you're basically running a lot of reruns right now. Okay, I get it.
Speaker 3: I get it. There's a lot going on, just trying to you know, keep my head above the cloud.
Speaker 1: I see, all right. I give myself a six as well.
Speaker 3: I give you one hundred and four, like like in every way for the past year.
Speaker 1: What Yeah, man, there's there's still other lessons. There's like Captain obvious lessons that I'm learning in front of the world in real time. And then there's still some ship that I'm stubbornly dealing with, you know, like when good things happen, a way to fuck it up and I gotta stopped doing that.
Speaker 3: So we were wind to our hearing review from last year.
Speaker 2: Was nothing.
Speaker 1: No, it was not like that, And the fact that I can't remember that lets you know it's different.
Speaker 3: You were not just like zen man you are now last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dog, we were just friends back then.
Speaker 3: You have like the Grace plus twelve, Like if you're a six that means an eighteen because Grace had I.
Speaker 1: Feel like a sixth. No, Grace is like a ninety seven. He gets up at five am already jumping on the trampoline like her. I'm not doing the trampoline. Dog.
Speaker 8: It sounds me like everybody feels you've earned your rick rubn maritpadge.
Speaker 1: So yeah, on the way there, on the way there.
Speaker 2: Something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm on the way on the way there, Okay. So real quick, kind of rapidly. When did you realistically think, quote, this would be over. I thought this will finally be over October, Halloween will be back to normal. YadA, YadA, YadA.
Speaker 2: When did you think that? Did you think that in March?
Speaker 1: I thought that in April? Oh hell yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, I my on my card, I was already looking at twenty twenty two like that was my thing because.
Speaker 1: The thing was because man, because the thing was just a bunch of conspiracy theory. No, I mean because the thing was.
Speaker 7: I guess, you know, because when we did our last shows, it was like March of this year. We did Philly and Baltimore. Those are the last two Little Brother shows we did. And we were even a little skittish about doing those, you know what I'm saying, because it was when it was kind of starting but not really.
Speaker 1: But we was like, I think we can pull these off.
Speaker 7: We had our sanitize and everything, so you know, we checking the hotel, we wipe stuff down and it was cool and you're doing and everything. Yeah, we was doing that in March and so then when we got we finished that, they called, well they didn't call, but that's when they announced that South By Southwest was canceled. And when they canceled south By Southwest, I said, b if they canceled, I said, nigga. If they canceled south By Southwest, Coachella is next. And if Coachella gets canceled, twenty twenty is a fucking rap.
Speaker 1: Dog it's over.
Speaker 3: You said that, and then yeah, like yo, it's a rap.
Speaker 1: And then the fucking NBA ain't like Nigga, a billion dollar business and they just gonna stop that shit just a rap because it's it's deuce so so for so, I in my mind I was thinking of that, and then I just thought, well, okay, if this is all a twenty twenty, twenty twenty is gonna.
Speaker 7: Be the year of like preparation, like you know, it's just kind of the what the fuck year is what happened? Then twenty twenty one will be the year where we kind of start to you know, re emerge and you know, and then twenty twenty two is finally when you know, things.
Speaker 1: I don't think will be normal, but there will be yeah maybe.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 7: Even then with that, for me, the mask ain't going nowhere like we I'm about to be Michael.
Speaker 1: Johnson with my ship, no vaccine whatever.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like and that's what I think, just for me, this year was just a lesson in whatever. And we talked about this on on Jills podcast, Like you're like, whatever, lessons that you learned in twenty twenty, these are the lessons and the and the practices that you're gonna need to carry you out for the rest of your life, you know what I mean, Like this is this just.
Speaker 1: Ain't no shit. Oh twenty twenties over and were back.
Speaker 7: Nah, if you get back out in the world trying to do the same ship that you was doing before, Rona, You're gonna be fucked up.
Speaker 1: Uh, yes, right, you're right.
Speaker 6: Mine kept sliding.
Speaker 4: I just mind mine.
Speaker 8: Mine just kept sliding with like I thought it was gonna be a few weeks and then. But I mean every single benchmark that you just spoke about I agreed with in clock and I was just like, oh, and I just should have.
Speaker 4: Just kept going with it.
Speaker 8: But I but I you know, that was also like the day after Trump, you know, got elected, I was like, Oh, he's going to get that Manila folder and he's going to rise to the occasion. Like I'm an internal optimist. You know, I literally did I remember it was it was I know. I mean, like so like when I.
Speaker 6: Saw like, you know Chappelle, do you know right after the election, I was kind of I was like, I'm feeling that. And then once the the you know, and then it was good. Like a day later, I was like, oh wait, no, who am I kidding? But just a little glims of hope.
Speaker 8: I just thought he was gonna you know, I just assumed they give you a manilla envelope that you read about who killed Kennedy, you know, who made.
Speaker 6: Track, you know, like, and it's just like and you're like and you're like, oh my god.
Speaker 8: And then you're like, okay, this is humbling. I understand now, yeah, exactly fifty one like wherever.
Speaker 2: Jason, but he has the voter. That's the scary part. He got the voter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I get it.
Speaker 4: I get it. I get it.
Speaker 6: And then he gave it away. But so so I thought this, I thought every I thought, you know, I thought.
Speaker 8: Every you know, a couple of months and then yeah, somewhere around the mid mid uh yeah, it was probably around the NBA for that same reason, It's like, oh, this is a this is this is bad, like if they're going to shut this down.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, it was like it was like a whiplash effect, Like like me and my cousin we talked about it, and she had like the most beautiful analogy for it for COVID. She was like, you know, years ago, her and her husband they lost they had they had a kid and they lost a kid.
Speaker 1: Her excellent.
Speaker 7: And she said in therapy, a therapist told her that the reason why a lot of couples don't make it after they lose a kid is because their grief never sinks up. So like one person will be in bargaining, one person will be in you know, acceptance, one person being anger you know what I'm saying. Whatever, And and it's like it was like the same thing with cod because it's like, yo, it's because everyone is at a different point of understanding where they are, where we are, and a.
Speaker 6: Different acceptance something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Man, that's that's that's very heavy. That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steve, when when did you think this was over? Initially?
Speaker 10: I mean, I can't remember what I was thinking, but I definitely thought it was going to go on for a long long time.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm I'm.
Speaker 10: Really surprised, how how quickly that we may be able to come out of it, even if it is by you know.
Speaker 1: Next summer.
Speaker 11: I think that's that's pretty incredible.
Speaker 12: If that happens, you you ain't gon you ain't gonna take the vaccine.
Speaker 9: Oh no, no, he's up in there. I think a mirror has an order. No, don't ask me that question.
Speaker 3: And COVID are you.
Speaker 9: I got an official answer? I got ah.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, man, Bill, this will A lot of my white friends aren't really getting Black people are so untrusting a vaccination.
Speaker 2: And listen, and let me say this.
Speaker 9: I had to explain it to a girlfriend who's a doctor and works at the FDA, who's been in the struggle and is black, and still like, what the fuck is wrong with y'all?
Speaker 1: You didn't know who Henrietta lacks was?
Speaker 9: She knows all that is just Her point is is that they've been putting in the work. And she's like, I don't believe that. You know, some black folks still think like this. And I'm like, a lot of black folks still do, Henrietta.
Speaker 1: Because it's not like this was a long time ago. It's not like we're talking about you know, ye like this ship. Yeah, from the Tuskegee experiment to what happened to Henrietta lax Uh, the initial ringworm experience experiments that they did on black people beforehand.
Speaker 2: To the disease that they still ain't found cures for Matt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just in general black there's a deep distrust. Like I'll put it this way, Bill, and I'm as middle class slash one whatever it comes without being Carlton. No, I will say that before my cushy NBC insurance included job. And this is not to say I didn't have insurance in the roots, there was a thirty year gap before I finally went to the dentist. So I went to the dentist in two thousand and nine to get.
Speaker 9: More black people like black wait, oh, no, black men and doctors.
Speaker 2: This is deep. We're about to do.
Speaker 3: That, dude.
Speaker 1: My last my last time was at a at a uh what do you call it, like a student a dental school when you're third nineteen seventy nine, Like Chris Rock, isn't joking that you have to be way past robotesting for you know, even with with like I used to when Steve knows like zero will get the sniffles. My now, managers U zero be like get the sniffles and be like I'm gonna check, go see the doctor. I'm like, wait, you go to the doctors because you you might have a cold like that happens like uh ah, man, it took me thirty years imagine April of nineteen seventy nine to win of my teeth about it all out. Like May of two thousand and nine, I finally went to the dentist finally like there's just a deep distrust that we've had. And yes, I believe in science now, yes I do. I personally feel as though there is a conspiracy how to get us, and no I don't believe it. But it's going to be a hard time. Covin, It's gonna be more than Barack Obama getting getting it himself.
Speaker 9: No, he to go down to the clinic and he got to stand next to Auntie whoever.
Speaker 2: And I need to say, today's getting.
Speaker 3: The same.
Speaker 11: Right, A very simple question.
Speaker 10: Please don't you all just go to black doctors.
Speaker 1: Oh it's blacks, but it's still white medicine.
Speaker 9: Thank you made that so simple, Thank you, thank you black doctors.
Speaker 1: But it's still we have black doctors, but it's still white medicine too. For the record, for the record, for the record, the the the woman who's the uh the woman, what's the company that Dolly Parton gave a million dollars? Maderna not but Maderna is. It's it's an African American woman who is helming the the lead into.
Speaker 2: The It's a lot of African you know, Biden, we were in there were in it.
Speaker 9: It's that's not that. That's not the point though, Steve, I'm sorry. It really is well on the kind of what what Fante said and then and what a Mire said about the history.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying them one distrusting, but I will just say, like I want to see what happens maybe the first two months exactly.
Speaker 7: It's like we I'm for me. I'm gonna take it. I'm just not gonna be in that first round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would take it.
Speaker 3: Like it's like, sederation, you don't get the first Apple, you never exact first phone.
Speaker 5: You never get the first laptop, you never get the first iPod never ever, ever ever, you.
Speaker 7: Never do the first update on your phone, never get the first update. The big sir, don't do that. Bet'll wait till they.
Speaker 3: Get yourself biged sir, what the fuck doesn't work?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 4: We get it?
Speaker 6: Now, we get it.
Speaker 1: Now, we get it. Yeah, I get it. Now we get it.
Speaker 3: We were we were on the not knowing angle. Now we get it.
Speaker 9: But can I just tell you that I am happy that twenty twenty is the year that America is finally getting to know black people.
Speaker 2: And I am excited about that.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's nice what Yes podcast for five years and I know shit about black people.
Speaker 1: And that's said a lot.
Speaker 3: I've been given a number of lessons and I still don't know. I don't know if that's about you guys are me?
Speaker 9: But either way, yeah, you need to go to strong black leaders. Are they on Netflix?
Speaker 1: That's why they got Okay, okay, so next question, Okay, what room in your house became your refuge?
Speaker 3: This one?
Speaker 1: This one you're in your studio right now on pey Bill.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we also deliver baby boys in this room because of the colors.
Speaker 2: Color.
Speaker 1: That's that's very nicery.
Speaker 2: First choice, first choice.
Speaker 1: Good you love You're in a bunker right now, Jason.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's it's like the the you know, we live in Brooklyn, but we'veout here the whole time because of this, and so like this this became our communal office.
Speaker 6: But then when I was editing.
Speaker 8: I let Live take this so she could do pre production for her movie that she's shooting now. And then then I went to like a real like a like I just found a this post production house that even darker than this, exactly like a k with like wood panley behind it, and I would just sit at a screen and edit remotely and then.
Speaker 6: Get in the car and I was like, you know, nine to five, you know.
Speaker 8: Almost wearing a mask and sanitizing only a few people in that office. Then here that you know, that's a TV there, and then you know, early and early, like probably like April, I was playing like I went through and finally played Grant Dauto five just to drive around LA.
Speaker 6: Just to be like, hey, it's nice to be outside. And then I mean that game was incredible seven years old and it's still like incredible.
Speaker 8: And then and then me and guys from the show, like writers and cast members of the show who started playing FIFA and we created an AFC Richmond team on pro clubs and then would just be here a little head right next to me jott and down ideas and lines and it became you know, a sanctuary otis and I played, you know, the Spider Man game up in here.
Speaker 4: You know, it was like what you.
Speaker 1: Want you on PS five? You Xbox? Which one?
Speaker 4: We Xbox?
Speaker 8: We have PS four but I haven't got p S five yet. Yeah, but but but that, but that Spider Man game was incredible and we can't wait for this new miles for as one. So but yeah, we just chipped away at things and just like playing, like you know, it became it became a place to hang out. Right before I when I was hitting that thirty pounds, I was drinking like three micheladas on Saturday. We started writing now to do it three buffet songs, you know, feeling fine after numbers.
Speaker 6: I'm sure the lyrics so that those tunes are in this notebook. But yeah, this, this is it. It's just like a little office right right off the Yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Steve, what was your what was your room of refuge room? Oh well I.
Speaker 3: Only have one room anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, walk right into that.
Speaker 9: I was just no, I got one room too, And then I guess I said my man's bedroom because that's my room or refuge.
Speaker 1: Uh, Frantico, I feel like this this this couch area is I don't know what this.
Speaker 7: Is from your house, Fante. So I just I'm in my living room. This is just like a corner. I mean, because we had to kind of, you know, rearrange some ship. So we ended up having to put my son's desk for his uh for his schooling, so we had to buy him a new desk and and then put it over by the window. And then I'm kind of just in the corner on the other side, just in my little corner. But my place of refuge is actually it kind of became my deck. Man, Like I would just you never.
Speaker 9: Shown us anything but the switch, Fante. You know we did quest to Prame Live.
Speaker 2: We've been doing here.
Speaker 1: You do a video in Yesna that that was that was my buddy's house. That wasn't my house. That was at my house. That was my buddy's house.
Speaker 2: He's never shown us anything but the switch.
Speaker 7: I would show you. I will give you the the tour of my house. Right yeah, yeah, she's always because I'm right next to the kitchen.
Speaker 1: I'm right next to the kitchen. But yeah, it was the deck.
Speaker 7: It kind of became my spot man because you know, we couldn't really go anywhere, and you know, during the winter when the weather was good, I was just grill.
Speaker 1: You know. That kind of became something my therapy.
Speaker 7: I would just cook, and uh, I give food to my friends, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, I, you know, do ribs or whatever, and I give.
Speaker 1: Damn a slab away, you know. And but but I just cook.
Speaker 7: And so I'll just be out and just you know, just on deck, you know, smoke me a little something, just you know, just enjoying the air.
Speaker 1: And that kind of became my place.
Speaker 9: Okay, Oh the dispensary a place of the dispensary was a place of refuse.
Speaker 3: Some of us New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Okay. So in terms of panic purchasing, which I'm sure we did a lot of between March and maybe kind of cooled out in July once we realized that world wasn't going to come to an end. What was the item that you panic purchased obsessively?
Speaker 2: Got to get the right one, got to get the right one.
Speaker 1: I had about a little laptop stand, like you know, yeah, the little mic.
Speaker 3: I bought my garage.
Speaker 6: There there you go.
Speaker 2: Really, really really I bought.
Speaker 5: A bar off Etsy for my garage because I needed a place to hang out. So my graage is now fully fledged bar. I know this podcasts maybe look like an.
Speaker 8: Alcoholic this is well no, mostly your content, not the not the podcast.
Speaker 1: This Christmas of this year, Inde, you.
Speaker 3: Just got to, you know, go after the good.
Speaker 9: You a large can you talk about that?
Speaker 3: Because I bought a bar from this guy in Florida who clearly only makes bars for people in Florida, and I said, hey, will you ship it up to New York? And he said, oh man, that's gonna cost a lot of money. This is all Etsy, right, And I was like, oh really how much? And he was like two hundred dollars And I was like, okay, cool, We're good.
Speaker 5: Two hundred dollars and then like bring it up in one hunch piece and they placed it in my garage and it's on wheels.
Speaker 3: I can wheel my bar places.
Speaker 8: It's all that's a good bar that will last, pro that will last post COVID yeah like that's one year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, where did you see this bar? To make you be like I need this?
Speaker 3: I typed in bars for your garage. I believe, are you.
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 2: From That's how that's how people started lying.
Speaker 3: I think that's actually what I typed.
Speaker 6: I think some people start what.
Speaker 9: Some people started, you know in the summertime, because people didn't realize they didn't have pools that they were stuck in COVID. Remember everybody was taking the bins, the color binds and they were making their own pool.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no, no, I remember. No, I'll deal with showing me that I want.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I don't know what that had.
Speaker 3: Good segue.
Speaker 8: Yeah, anyway, I didn't do any I didn't I didn't do any.
Speaker 6: Uh like toilet paper or any of that stuff.
Speaker 4: I think I was.
Speaker 8: I don't think I got caught that wave like we didn't as a house. Oh you know, we we got lived, did get us, you know, like earthquake. You know, a couple of survival kids like Judy Kicks and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: I think Judy, I don't know, I just know it says the word Judy on the side.
Speaker 4: I don't know me.
Speaker 6: I think in l A, yes, yes, yeah, that you're out here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 8: Actually it's let me let me let me look it up here. But I think it is pretty sure it's Judy, is it like j E.
Speaker 1: W D?
Speaker 6: Why no, good old fashioned wow, thank you, Hey, thank you Olivia.
Speaker 8: I would I would, you know, I just have a bunch of double A batteries like that's gonna do ship, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 9: Do you know any celebrities that have bunkers like those really fancy bunkers I've seen now you know, when it's happened. I looked up like the hangars that you can buy.
Speaker 2: They're like, I'm just curious about Would you tell me if.
Speaker 1: You did, I would.
Speaker 8: I would tell you if I knew, if I knew, if I knew, but I don't know, ain't got no, no.
Speaker 4: He's good.
Speaker 8: They got a hell of a treehouse, though, I believe you know, I think if memory serves, I haven't been to his place, but I remember him really loving like that treehouse like reality show and him him being like, you know, won that for his daughters, which.
Speaker 6: I'm super envious of, and I mean, like a child.
Speaker 8: We never we never had a tree my dad. My dad grew up in the South side of Chicago, like on a high rise. So because he barely knows how to change the light bulb. He's a great dad, but he always had a super you know someone you know, he Schneider always came down and fixed.
Speaker 1: A lot of Snyder reference like my dad. I love that you didn't say Bookman, but you said Snyder.
Speaker 4: I could have.
Speaker 3: Ra and rerun.
Speaker 6: I could have gone. I could have gone. But it's not my default guy though.
Speaker 1: No, but I'm you know, but one day at a time. I know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, the best but I I yeah, the g invest and all that. So yeah, so yeah, I think your baby's got a treeouts.
Speaker 8: I don't know if it's if it's ready to you know, for nuclear fallout right now, like panic doors and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Me and Dave Chapelle got one.
Speaker 1: He got one. Not really okay, how not really it's not it's not underground. I mean, I mean, but he has acres, so you know. But it is like he just turned that town into one science believing blue town, you know what I mean, Like where the cops wear masks and how can we help you st like that sort of thing.
Speaker 6: Like Lawrence, Kansas. It's like the one Douglas County is like.
Speaker 8: The one blue county in Kansas, you know, like where the University of Kansas.
Speaker 6: Is like the bottleneck in the Granada if you go.
Speaker 1: That's why I always played Lawrence, Kansas, y Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean Kansas City, Kansas City. But yeah, that was like that was the that was the joint you look.
Speaker 8: I mean, I mean this year, you know, last couple of years, maybe you know the Kansasity, Kansas side like Whydot County will have will be blue. But but but as far as like internal Kansas not not only like the you know, the biggest city that's Douglas County.
Speaker 1: That's because we would always there would there was we would always start a tour, like a major tour like with Beck or the Fuji's whoever. We start in Lawrence, Kansas. It was like a like a theater. It was sort of like a movie. Or it used to be.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I don't think I saw you guys there.
Speaker 8: You've been to something, Oh yeah, Granada the bottle Neck Yeah no, I mean that was that's where you would see folks like when they maybe had you know, one radio hit on like the yeah yeah, like I saw like Cake there, like Ben Folds five, like the first like when they're still when Ben was still lugging around.
Speaker 6: A panele in a U haul you know it's like, yeah, that's where you go to the bottle neck.
Speaker 1: Oh right, damn yeah that's my spot. All right, what did you what did you purchase? Panic purchase?
Speaker 4: Laya?
Speaker 9: Oh no, I really met the ring like you know, I gotta tell you, okay, and not for nothing. I'm still getting fighting through my broke mind. My boyfriend keep reminding me that. He's like, you got three Johns now, so you can actually buy things? Because yeah, I said, I'm just it's hard, it's hard, it's hard.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, okay, huh by a mayor.
Speaker 1: I brought a ranch.
Speaker 3: Fifty one like you live in white people will like you protected by white folk.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, I was like, uh, this is never happening again. See there you go, certainty, never again, never again. I purchased. I purchased a bunker so that this will never happen again.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: Wait, so real quick, what's the maximum amount of people that you were quarantining with?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 11: Wait, I didn't the question.
Speaker 1: You gotta jump in when you get him. What did you panic by?
Speaker 11: I couldn't be by anything. You need to pay me more.
Speaker 1: Waiting to use that punchline. Yeah, I didn't pan. I didn't pan buy anything. I panic gave.
Speaker 7: I think, I like, I just donated a bunch of money, like the different organizations, Like I gave money to my.
Speaker 1: School and ship. It was just I was just thinking. I was like, yo, I was no, I wasn't, you know.
Speaker 7: It was just I was thinking because I mean I kind of knew how we lived, and I was like, all right, I think, you know, we'll be cool, but I know some people that ain't gonna be.
Speaker 8: That's that was the cool thing that Olivia had the foresight to do, buying gift cards from the restaurants that we went to in the area.
Speaker 6: A lot, knowing that they were shut down, but buying like.
Speaker 8: A thousand dollars gift cards, like like just literally going here, just like here's some money, just like yeah, I mean you know, like because.
Speaker 6: Because given money for the restaurant.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, here's the money up front, and we'll catch you on on on you know, on the flip flop. But also then they did honor them, you know when when they started delivering meals and stuff.
Speaker 6: But that you know, helping small businesses in that regard, that's what's.
Speaker 9: Up and they remember when they started seeing it was like ship they already paid.
Speaker 8: Speaking speaking of food, what kind of Derekcats tip with a gift card?
Speaker 3: Right by something for yourself?
Speaker 1: By something? Okay, so what what new item or food was your friend in twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: Man the the undisputed heavyweight champion of the Coleman Household of the twenty twenty pandemic.
Speaker 1: It's the motherfucking air frar.
Speaker 7: Let's say, really, bruh, the air fry hit is man, it gets it all. It damned It pretty much replaced out Michael Wave like. It just everything. I mean, it'll hit stuff, bro. The air fry is a game changing man Like, I mean, it's basically just in. It's just just a fucking easy, big oven for adults.
Speaker 2: But I'm about to say style change was so much. But yeah it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you can yet, yeah deep fry without you know, without all you know what I'm saying. But it just gets yourself chrispy.
Speaker 7: Like if you order you know, fries from somewhere with her and you got something left over, you want to heat him up their work.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, we use it for everything. My son he used it.
Speaker 7: He'll make his breakfast in the morning for school. Uh for you know, for you jump on his laptop and uh yeah they're fry.
Speaker 9: It saved us for real, y'all have have y'all had Jenny's ice cream?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Who is this bitch?
Speaker 3: Who is ice cream?
Speaker 6: She's a wizard, she's a witch. Is that the one with the salt with like the salted peanut butter, with the chocolate flex Do they do that there?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 9: They do, Yes, they do they and they make the really thick waffle cones where you walking there and they.
Speaker 2: Just they delivered.
Speaker 1: So is this so? Is this a store? This is a spot? Is splendid ice creams?
Speaker 9: It is all across the country, but here in La they delivered during the COVID times.
Speaker 2: And that was my answer because.
Speaker 9: Who the salted caramel, the almond butter brickle? They have one ice cream with uh.
Speaker 2: A kettle corn.
Speaker 9: It's just it's a lot and it's really good. And I'm an ice cream fishing I am, I am.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 8: What I missed from I miss from our neighborhood Brooklyn is Ample Hills.
Speaker 1: Ample Hills ice cream.
Speaker 8: They crack ice cream is like crack ice cream and can you only get it from New York. I think they have I think they have it out here too, but but they do. But you know you have that that uh you know what was another thing we used.
Speaker 6: That gold gold gold belling, gold gold bell.
Speaker 8: We hit that place up, you know a few times, like New York, New York meals like you know, getting russ and daughters, you know, sent out here.
Speaker 3: I did that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, heah.
Speaker 1: Let me let me shout out Halo Top ice cream as well.
Speaker 2: For the grocery store run.
Speaker 1: That's grocery top. Yeah, it's you know, I can partake in stuff that's under fifteen carbs and so Halo Top is definitely yo. You know what greatance you heard?
Speaker 3: Ice cream?
Speaker 1: No, why are you looking at me like what kind of black person? Is not?
Speaker 9: Like it makes us all fart and I don't know why we lie about it like.
Speaker 2: On some ice cream a mirror and let me talk to Grace the next morning.
Speaker 1: I'm serious, dog, I'm cool with it. Another for those that are looking ways to cheat the system as far as like getting your sweets on without having to partake in the carbs. One thing I discovered this year cool Whip Cool Cool Whip is almond milk. No, just it's it's it's loading carbs, load and sugar. You put it in in the freezer and like.
Speaker 3: You're talking like you just invented cool Whip. Cool around one hundred.
Speaker 1: I know, but it's cheating, but not like listen, I mean, it's some heroin. It's a way for me to have some heroin without getting hot.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 7: Oh God, you need near beers, your old dudes.
Speaker 1: It's your old dudes.
Speaker 6: That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: That's near beer.
Speaker 9: You need to take their cholesterol content because that should be greasy.
Speaker 1: There's sugar free cool like.
Speaker 9: I said, cholestero. Alright, all right, go ahead do your thing, Brad. I'm just saying that they also make.
Speaker 2: An almond milk.
Speaker 1: Something's working, right, I'm just saying, anyway, shout out the halo happened cool anyway, Yeah cool Whip. Also shout out to Lynn's lifestyle. She's the lady who has invented miracle carb cool items like corn bread and.
Speaker 2: And her early on in the year yeah life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely her corn bread. Definitely, that's.
Speaker 2: Somebody else's corn bread.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, look, it's not corn bread in the life sense of the term. Of corn bread. But you know, for someone that's abstaining.
Speaker 3: Bread, plaining what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A big part of my life is also abstaining from bread and other white foods like rice and potatoes and all those things. So don you do sweet potato? Can you do sweepstato? I could do occasional sweep atalte. Matter of fact, when I hang up, I have some sweet potato tonight. So basically she had a is it siliac I forget something like yeah? Yeah. So she had like if she looks at nuts or seeds or anything, she'll break out. Like that's how bad this woman's allergies was. And her husband was like, I hate seeing you're miserable like this, Like, you know, figure out how to make what you like out of seeds, like purred the seeds and all this things. So she would take seeds and start making bread and muffins. And her name is It's Lynn's Life, like she makes it in her crib. It's a very small business.
Speaker 2: But commercial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's gonna love this commercial. How many what's the maximum? What's the maximum amount of people have that have been quarantining with you? Just three for me?
Speaker 11: Well, question about what food I was eating.
Speaker 1: Come on in, Actually, I do want to hear it, because what are you doing now that Starbucks isn't as it used to be?
Speaker 3: Starbucks?
Speaker 11: Starbucks is, they're pretty open everywhere from.
Speaker 1: The beginning they weren't, So how are you coping without star Wars.
Speaker 10: Told the story back back when it started.
Speaker 3: I bought, uh, the type you make.
Speaker 10: At home, you know, with the what's it called instant instant coffee where you just stirred into hot water. But the crazy part was I accidentally bought the caffeinated and I was drinking de caffeinated coffee for like four months without realizing, and I had gotten off caffeine.
Speaker 3: Wow, Starbucks opened up?
Speaker 1: And were you having headaches?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 11: No, because I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: By myself.
Speaker 10: But in answering your original question, I went back and pretty much tried every single type of breakfast cereal that exists over the However, many months were quarantine. Damn.
Speaker 11: I wanted to figure out bad for your sugars. Some of them are very bad, yes, but some.
Speaker 9: Of them finish his sentence. Go ahead, stee, if you wanted to figure.
Speaker 10: Out I want to figure out which was the greatest breakfast cereal of all time by revisiting all of them.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, I'm here for this.
Speaker 10: And and there were clearly a lot of possible winners.
Speaker 11: But at the end of the day, was.
Speaker 1: You say what you say frost and Flake Steve Frosted, Yeah, Minish.
Speaker 6: Square, the little guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no way man, because it was it was the perfect balance of sweet and you know an adult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't eat you can't eat it without milk.
Speaker 3: That's your next book.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sorry, So Fronte said three. What's the maximum amount of people you quarantined with? Three? Including myself? Just me and my wife, my son. It's just three of us, that's it.
Speaker 9: Okay, like quarantine and mean spend time or you just came through Okay, No, that's true. Actually, not come through quarantine. I've quarantined, uh two, Because remember I was, I.
Speaker 2: Was calling you out on social media.
Speaker 1: The thing is, I think one is hard to I think it's hard to quarantine alone. I think it's hard to quarantine with two. I think three is the perfect number. What about your throw a person? Huh?
Speaker 2: I said, what about your fifteen at the ranch? The part?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I was also on acres in a farm. But Grace and I were in the house. I mean, of course, if I'm DJing, yeah, motherfucker is gonna come up. But yeah, you know, look, just let everyone at ease. Steve and I regularly get tested. Yeah, so we've been pretty much with our negativity.
Speaker 2: Not the rapid test though, because you can't trust those.
Speaker 1: Sorry. Yeah, both, okay, well I get both. You know, I do combinations of both. I'm paid. What was your maximum number?
Speaker 3: Me and my girlfriend and her kids or me my ex wife and my kids four.
Speaker 1: So combo of four to three. That's hot. Wow, based on that smile, I'll just skip to the less we build, the better.
Speaker 3: Numbers. Their numbers. Numbers ain't nothing but the number.
Speaker 6: Pot well said Jason.
Speaker 3: Just write that down next to you know whatever Jazzy Jeff said, then whatever I said. Numbers are numbers.
Speaker 6: The numbers are numbers.
Speaker 3: Deep deep ship, go ahead, mirror, you have thirty people at your Karen ranch.
Speaker 1: No, in the beginning when I went to the farm, yeah, it was me, Grace heard two kids.
Speaker 2: You ain't got to do the roll be here.
Speaker 9: You were doing roll calls because a lot of people you ain't got to do them all their names, shout them out.
Speaker 1: No, Look, we were in Grace and Grace meet Grace sending her two kids started off in our guest house, and we were socially distanced and all that stuff with the other people. I mean, we were on a farm with a total of at its minimum seven people at its maximum sometimes eleven or how old are Grace's kids are? They're adults. Leaf is, Leaf is twenty, she's twenty five, twenty six and riding. He's black. Jesus.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, yeah, they're beautiful.
Speaker 1: They both like some beautiful twenty three.
Speaker 3: What's that? Like? We never talked about this ever.
Speaker 1: They're cool, but they're not like her kids, Like they're fellow adults, you know what I mean. Like they're Leif is probably the most resourceful human being I know. Like if you go to Instagram, she'll love this. Shout out. If you go to Leaf's Instagram, her name is Leif l e a f Like she does all of her She shot her own ads that are hanging in uh, Like she models a lot for like a lot of these companies that are on are in Times Square right now, so like she'll shoot her own Time Square ads for the companies that she's modeling for.
Speaker 2: She generations, the resourceful generation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she makes like she has her own like garage shale like on on the like I sound like an old person trying to describe this, but she just managed to.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Well, like she's just the most resourceful human I know. Like if you tell her, like I need twenty thousand dollars right now, she instantly knows like how to organize and come up with it. So and it's just her just Laf on Instagram? Is that is that Leaf? Okay, I'm looking at an artist as well her. They're both Leaf and Ryding's father. He invented like the idea of the street team, like the first time you saw the idea, the idea of like Puffy having these like uh protest signs, the advertising bad boy and like stickers that you see like all over the place of these rap artists or wrap around vans, like he the s W one is.
Speaker 6: The first street team I think, I think, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think you got to do your research here, But that's.
Speaker 3: That is one of those things.
Speaker 2: But I believe them.
Speaker 1: It's a family of hustlers riding riding to me writing right now is I think the hardest part of life, the hardest transition in life is somewhere between nineteen and twenty three. So that's where you really have to push yourself to realize who you are and get into it. You don't believe in that.
Speaker 2: Fuck, no, who pushing you? You gotta know you ain't got to know nineteen.
Speaker 1: Well, I had a son at twenty one, so I had to you had nineteen to twenty three. It's a transition.
Speaker 7: It is a big transition, it is, But it's usually it's a transition in a sense because that's when you realize, Like, at least for me, when I graduated, you know, I was twenty one graduating oh one, so I was like twenty one, twenty two. Yeah, Like that's when you get out and you realize, Okay, whatever I'm doing now, this has the potential to be my life for the rest of my life. And that's some sobering shit, you know what I mean. Like I was working at like a call center and shit, and it's just like, nigga, is this it? Because it ain't no more school, you know what I'm saying, It's no more you know, all the whatever the rights of passage were up until this point.
Speaker 1: We're done. So you can FuG around being this. Yeah, you fugging up in this car center for the next time thirty years, you know what I'm saying. I was like, oh, right, well, now.
Speaker 8: It's a good to find your bliss, to find the thing that you're like, oh, I'm going to go after this regardless, you know that. Just yeah, you follow your bliss, because that's when I like, after I leaving college. I played basketball in college for a little bit, just community college in Kansas.
Speaker 6: But when I left, I was like, oh, I love this. And then I moved to Chicago, and that's when I officially I'm like, this is me trying to be an actor.
Speaker 8: I mean, I'm gonna live in my grandmother's house and drive my uncle's car, you know, you know, but still I knew the choices I was making was all that, and like, you know, nine to five jobs just for gas.
Speaker 6: Because you know, I charge rent luckily.
Speaker 2: And how long was that life for you? How long was that?
Speaker 6: I mean, in many ways still it's still going on, like.
Speaker 8: You know, like you kind of well, I mean that that was Oh it wasn't a lesson. L but even SNL is not a great television contract. I mean, you know, I love pointing out to people, you know that, like, uh, just for people to realize. You know what, George Carling got paid in nineteen seventy five on October eleventh to host SML five grand.
Speaker 13: Wow, you know, Tim Shannon, I got paid last week five grand. Now, I don't know how long I pulled that off, but it is a thing, all right.
Speaker 1: So you know.
Speaker 3: How much just on Sesame Street? Yeah, I mean five bucks?
Speaker 1: How much?
Speaker 3: You know Harte they got paid thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: Wait, Bill, did I get paid for Sesame Street at all?
Speaker 3: Exactly? Exactly?
Speaker 1: Probably not?
Speaker 6: I did. Yeah, I did an offshoot. I did the you know, Elmo up all Night. I mean, you know that's late night, that's late night money.
Speaker 1: That's three pits that you show.
Speaker 3: Yeahs did Elbow's late night talk show. It was hilarious.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was great. It was great. Yeah, Living and I both did it.
Speaker 3: No, it was it was that was it was awesome.
Speaker 6: It was it was a joy.
Speaker 1: What what I was saying, like you, was that when you're when you're crossing that bridge where you're not just under your you're the tutelage of your mom and dad anymore, and you got your own person. That's the transition between nineteen and twenty three. So that part what I see for her son. I believe in my heart that her son, and this is crazy pressure to put on him. I feel like him as an artist, like he's he's to me, like he could be the next Boskiyach And in terms of like the art community has like the same way that I had a circle with like Dyla and Dee and Erica and you know, like the whole Black Lily Collective and all that stuff. He has an art community that and I almost feel kind of guilty giving my unsolicited capitalists you know, snake oil salesman advice. Like wait, if you guys all gathered together, this is this is a billion dollar art art community. I'll be the person in their community. Like right now, it's just very pure and very for art sake. So yeah, let them.
Speaker 2: William, don't do it.
Speaker 3: You you teach it.
Speaker 8: You teach a kid to fuck up, you know, but if you allow a kid to fuck up, he'll suck up forever.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like like that, give a man a fish.
Speaker 6: Of a man's fish you know one thing, talk of a man's river, you know, like.
Speaker 1: You know that is okay. So I'll go to entertainment. For those of you that indulged in television. Okay, what's the TV show that you are ashamed to admit that you indulged and watched? Like I said, I was going to watch a whole bunch of Criterion collect education movies and I ain't got time for all they got him learning. I mean here for that.
Speaker 4: Uh some titles.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, I was on I was on ninety Day Fiance pretty heavy, and then I just yeah, I was on the other way the other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's some good stuff.
Speaker 1: That is a mess. What's the other way?
Speaker 9: The other ways when the amir the other ways when the American goes to the other country.
Speaker 2: So you got like them going to Ethiopia and all.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's the American version of the Russian male order bride that I get about in every sitcom one hundred It is the it bro.
Speaker 7: It was this white woman that was gonna marry this dude from Qatar. Man, listen, like there.
Speaker 1: Is no punchline. What do you say, like you already know man? Look, yeah, I know I know what Americans have been sold about the Russian male Order bride like you know, and I guess we sort of see the first lady is that somewhat? But what I'm saying, oh no not what is how? How how is the Americans sold as a prize to other countries? What do you mean? I don't.
Speaker 7: I think it's just I don't know if they're surprised. I think it's just I think in the Kutar with the lady that was going to Katar, I think it was just they were looking at it. The guy was looking at it like, well, I can basically use you.
Speaker 1: I mean it was I mean, it's all like kind of a scam.
Speaker 7: Really is they all like trying to just use each other for money or for citizenship or something. But it's just it's all like dysfunctional and hilarious as hell. But that's kind of what the sell is.
Speaker 9: It's a lot of other franchise that branched off because you've got the House of Chantel and stuff. Now because Chantale had married the Dominican do and now they girl that's real pretty and her whole family is kind of good looking. For again in their own show. It's a lot going on. Sorry, I watched a lot of.
Speaker 1: TV, so yeah, and my mom watches this so if I visit, she always has it on. But that's all I know. The story is always like some greasy looking guy and you know, yes, like how long does the do they stay with the storyline until it ends? Or man?
Speaker 7: They stay with it like well, I think this year and I think this is kind of why I got out of it, because COVID shut a lot of shit down. So what ended up happening is like they you could tell they they were stretching the dope too far, you know what I mean, So like they didn't really have a whole lot of content, like y'all cut because y'all coming back, y'all ain't got but not THEMN fifteen minutes twenty minutes worth of THEMN.
Speaker 1: Content stretched out over a fucking hour and it just it was bad. So that's why I got out of it.
Speaker 7: But they'll follow people, I mean if they get spin offs and stuff, and basically the more.
Speaker 1: Dysfunctional the better.
Speaker 7: Like as all reality shows, the chick Darcy who's has a twin sister.
Speaker 1: They have a show now called Darcy and Stacey, which I just have not watched.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: The big duck lips bro you yo. They showed a commercial like every.
Speaker 9: Yeah you watch every Discovery, you'll watch it. Can I just say one word? And I would just like to know because people are in the closet about this show. But I think all of y'all watched this show?
Speaker 1: Was what was it?
Speaker 2: Cheeters?
Speaker 4: Cheater?
Speaker 2: Peter Guns is going to be hosting it in twenty twenty. I thought y'all was all right talking about it.
Speaker 1: I remember Cheaters back in like the nineties. Yeah, that's that's last time I watched it on the week with Peter Guns New York got Crazy Game. Now never mind.
Speaker 2: I thought we had a tribe and I'm sorry, I.
Speaker 1: Thought, wait, has it been on the air?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, Peter Peters Peters has it, but old episodes of Cheaters, because you know, it had different holes in the last host who was the grandson of Clark Gable.
Speaker 2: You know he he died this year in twenty twenty. Yeah, yeah, Clark.
Speaker 1: He was Clark Joey Greco after.
Speaker 2: Joey Greco was Clark Gable's grandson.
Speaker 3: Yes, I did not know, no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I remember Cheaters was like, yeah, when I was essential, I watched she was she was like.
Speaker 6: An ambuss show, like where you would catch people there.
Speaker 9: Well, it wasn't necessarily an ambush show. It was a show where people people came to the host to find out if their loved one was cheating, and then they had detectives, and that detective would actually go and and then yeah, and then you would ambush once they found out that that okay, all.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, and ambush was ambushmbush, I got it right.
Speaker 9: A Mayer said shows were embarrassed about and now I'm back to being embarrassed.
Speaker 2: I never mind to.
Speaker 3: Handle to watch that, man, I couldn't it. So the premise of Too Hot to Headle on Netflix is you put you know, twenty beautiful people on an island and you're like, if you win, they can't have sex, and they can't have sex, they can't touch each other, they cake, they can't do anything. If they do, like the money starts to go down, and so like they all try to like sneak off fucking and like you know, crazy under the cover ship and.
Speaker 5: They get caught every time. And there's like a there's like an announcer robot price to pay, like like if you fuck, it's twenty grand. If you if you if you kiss, if you make out someone, it's like five grand.
Speaker 3: Like if you hold hands, I was like two hundred and fifty grand and at the end of down like five grand, right, like conversation like here's two hundred bucks.
Speaker 6: Show up on that show and just like just master bayle crazy and just leave there, just flush.
Speaker 1: Oh you're not to do that either you can't, you can't.
Speaker 3: You can't do that either. No, no, no, you can't do anything. And then DoD I mean.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's the commercial right there for the show to wait a minute. So the thing is is that Jason, what they do is they even turn the heat up more like if if you seem to be master in nice choice of words in here again too much, then they start important and even hotter. People like you don't want to that, right, Their and their gold is to literally bring people on to seduce you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So it's like it's way to lose a game.
Speaker 8: It's like going to Russia on business like they're.
Speaker 6: Gonna twiddle your mob. They're gonna dial in and the Calbrays like like.
Speaker 3: Real mo, it's all fake moves all the time. There's nothing that show whatever.
Speaker 1: You know another show that like I watched that was I didn't. I wouldn't say I felt ashamed about it, but it was I didn't feel good about yeah, saying I can feel good about myself. Cobra Kai uh nigga because is great? Yeah, Cobra Kai. Is this old niggas getting ACKed because I'm here for the niggas.
Speaker 2: It's on my list because Rob Monshall still looks great?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And and you know if you know the original, you know the original?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well we got good.
Speaker 8: I mean the way they start that show is so great, like when it jumps to like that other angle like that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: I was just like, oh, it's like my brain fried a little bit. I thought I watched it on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Isn't like Wicked where you see from his point of view?
Speaker 6: Yes, so basically, yeah, you see.
Speaker 7: It from Johnny Lawns from his you know what, he becomes a man, that Joe is real that it's a great show.
Speaker 1: I did not expect enjoy as much as I did. Three Comes Back Anywhere.
Speaker 2: Can't be good. I can't think of any other ones. But that's good.
Speaker 6: Look, I know everybody liked it, you know, but but like I mean, I just don't watch too much.
Speaker 8: You know, junk Live was watching something early on but I can't remember, but I usually, you know, wasn't. I wasn't into it just but Tiger King, you know, like King was great. But like but also like, why am I why watching this dude? Like, like, and I'm watching her, and I'm just.
Speaker 6: Like, you know what, that's why am I giving him this energy?
Speaker 1: I gave up after the third episode. I couldn't do that.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 8: I was.
Speaker 1: Then we started singing this jam when Joe, when Joe's I started dropping records. Man, come on, you're understing. So does he have a chance with Kim Kardashian arguing on his behalf.
Speaker 2: No, he's white.
Speaker 1: He's white.
Speaker 2: He's why he's white. But he did say to her, you know, you don't have to tell anybody that you helped me.
Speaker 1: Did he murder this woman?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 1: No, the big question we don't know if he murdered her. She's alive, she met her husband.
Speaker 6: I think that's right. That's that's a big Well.
Speaker 2: Wait, what's he in jail for for attempting to Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so he's definitely guilty of attempted murder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of an.
Speaker 2: Arranging her murder. He didn't even try to do it. Try to pay somebody, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: I see, I see, yeah, Venmo. Somebody didn't murder, you know, very backwards folks of seventeen hundred bucks.
Speaker 2: Carol, which got her on Dancing with the Stars.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, she's on Dancing with the Slaws now she was she was, yeah, yeah, Pete.
Speaker 3: The best character in that show is Doc whatever his name is in North Carolina.
Speaker 4: That guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like the wives talk about polygamy, like that guy with the tigers and breeding and all that.
Speaker 1: They ran up. They ran up in they ran up this ship.
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, had a real comeback in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Yow up the next sum Did you watch this ship? The viol and oh they showed up whatever the vowels. That was cool.
Speaker 7: The one is seduced is seduced on Showtime? That ship is all smoke. It's only four episodes, like four hours that Oh my god, I.
Speaker 2: Just watched the Epstein thing and that's enough for me.
Speaker 1: So I was good to watch that.
Speaker 4: That was good.
Speaker 8: That that was it.
Speaker 6: That was good, But like disturbing more there more there.
Speaker 4: So much.
Speaker 7: See, Yeah, Andy, I see your girl. The other day she posted thirty they're trying to post a thirty million. I'm like, dude, I'm no legal expert, but she's about to do.
Speaker 1: Anyone that could post thirty billion dollars, you probably shouldn't let them post bill. I mean, that's probably not the be idea.
Speaker 6: No, that's like, come on, and that's what is that? A ten percent of her? Like it's thirty million?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 6: Three hundred said bond. Bond is like the bail. It's like, I don't know that's your bond.
Speaker 9: Hey, guys, I just did you guys know I just heard this today and it's going to change life as we know it forever. Did you know did you hear about the big porn Hub news? You know I care about this. Did you hear about what happened to porn They took content everything? And I didn't know until after I witness.
Speaker 2: Morning for my thing, you know, with my session.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and no more, no more movie.
Speaker 9: Scenes, no more, like there's nothing. It's just ugly people. And I'm not even trying to be funny.
Speaker 1: People that have contracts with porn Hub retain there.
Speaker 6: It is so.
Speaker 1: Sex work, sex work is changing. Actually, I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: It is a good thing. I mean, I know it is.
Speaker 6: And I'm not sounding part of the artist, power of the artist, part of the artist.
Speaker 2: But where else will I find my favorite movie sex scene?
Speaker 4: Right up here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's there's no here. Not here, There's red Tude, there's ex videos, there's there's there's more for you.
Speaker 2: Trust they're coming for everybody.
Speaker 8: Their end of the years thing is always fascinating when they tell you, like who like the most googled you know, keyword for different states or different kinds, Like, I'm fascinating, fascinating.
Speaker 1: I wonder who won this year?
Speaker 2: They did release a Christmas album?
Speaker 1: One released a Christmas album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got a new album out like select like some people.
Speaker 8: I don't.
Speaker 2: I feel bad that I'm the.
Speaker 1: Probably sorry jingle ball right, hip hop and porn like coming all.
Speaker 6: Over the town, you know, Dick the Halls, the classic I saw Mommy kissing Dad and Santa Claus you.
Speaker 4: Know that one.
Speaker 6: Just yeah, continued kissing on his dick though, that's what that's the.
Speaker 4: Love, Steve.
Speaker 1: I know, Cobra Kai was your Jim this year, so you got stolen.
Speaker 3: But that's it might have been the best best thing I saw. Yeah, I guess wow.
Speaker 6: Hey hey Bed Steve one of them. You know, we have a TV show up to my friends, be cooling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where I want to come in Guilty Pleasures.
Speaker 3: So now were talking about shows we love like that are great.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I'm transitioning, Yes, transition.
Speaker 3: I liked the Crown.
Speaker 1: Yeah is this a good I hear a lot of people talking about this. Uh, they're all good, Diana, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, this bench Camilla is gangster.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 11: Queen's gambit.
Speaker 1: I love Queen's gambit. I said out of check that I heard. It's good. I love Queen's gambit. It's it's it's the white girl version of I can hear Fante right now saying that this is the what was what was Fresh? Yeah, it's the white girl version of Fresh? Oh wow wow, Okay, Yeah, it's it's a chess it's a chess movie, a chess series, but it's rather engaging in charming.
Speaker 11: And I can't nobody's brought it up yet, but watch that huge grant joint.
Speaker 2: Undoing. The undoing is yes still I got a piece?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, yes, fantastic episode six anything else Steve corn Hub and.
Speaker 3: Before they took the the.
Speaker 1: Content away.
Speaker 10: And I have my own network on social media on Instagram, so I'm usually watching that the Sugar Network.
Speaker 1: He don't got time for that.
Speaker 11: Okay, I don't watch a lot of the crap you talking about it.
Speaker 1: I fell into selling Sunset, which why Okay. A good friend of mine is a writer at at Saturday Night Live, and she was supposed to do a spoof of it and I didn't get her script, and she's like, well, you have to watch the show first. So I was like, all right, I'll watch an episode. And then I messed around and started watching like all three cs like within a two day period, and that was like the lowest point. I had a prime reason why we had our guests doing today for this uh for this episode is I really really loved ted last so and I almost feel like we would have to I'd have to share like our text history as I was watching it more because you could feel me getting I felt like you manipulated us, Jason Absolute, I feel like you manipulated us. All right, So this is the last time I heard this. This even brought up in this way was with Spike Lee and Annabella Siora in Jungle Fever, in which Spike accused Annabella of like really changing the character to be more likable than he wanted her to be. And I felt like, okay, yeah, you're trying to show me from from the pilot. I was like, Okay, I'm not going to like this guy's going to be like Michael Scott on The Office. I get what I'm about to watch, right, And it's totally not that, Like, how did you even sell this concept to even work?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean we had these commercial the commercials that the character is based on that did well, Like in twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, we're trying to sell the English Premier League showing up on NBC Sports, and it was all about a way to get American football fans into you know, British football soccer, and so it had like a little bit of like you know heat with that, but the character was totally different. With the whole style and the ethos and the philosophy, the show was going to be a little bit more lived in and you know, almost like a we always sort of use like you know, like Nora Ephron or Ron Sheldon you know who did you know, Bull Durham and Tim Kopf and he got gained and now he got Game two expect. But white Man can't jump, you know, you know Blue Chips, you know, he did all those movies Ron Sheldon did, And so I just was like, oh, it's going to be it's a little bit more lived in, it's more sincere.
Speaker 6: And it was tough though.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think they bought it thinking it was going to be what you thought it was going to be. And then as as the script started to come in, and then as the you know, daily started to come in, and you know, we just kept bumping it into what it was supposed to be versus what people thought it was going to be, but one hundred percent aware of the fact of what people thought it was going to be. And so yeah, your text history, I mean, I gave you all like the I'll give you the you know, the Criterion collection, like audio commentary of like, yeah, here's what we're doing. And because I think that's one of the neat things, you know, well, I mean because the whole concept came up in twenty fifteen, you know, pre ferguson pre Trump coming down the thing pre times up or you know, like hope and empathy never goes out of style.
Speaker 6: And it probably would have.
Speaker 8: Benefited then because the same vibe and I think I bet a mere part of the same vibe that you might not even be aware of that you loved about Detroiters is pushing through this. It's about you know, it's out sort of seeing the best in people, and you know, and that was all about Tim and Sam seeing the best in the Detroit you know, and just doing like the you know eight mile or like you know, you know, burnt out you know, Christ there you factories.
Speaker 6: It was like.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, and so like and so we did that with this, but using years of exposition of sports films too, you know, to our benefit that we could twist things and flesh them out. And then and then a lot of the last ten years of like you know, you know what dude anti heroes both you know, like whether it's Don Draper or.
Speaker 14: White Tony Sprano, I mean, Michael Scott, David Brent, you know, and just sort of like flip it on its ear and just come at it, you know, like sincerely, and and and let people just assume the like did you watch that that the documentary about mister Rogers you.
Speaker 6: Know, you know, won't beat my neighbor.
Speaker 8: Like if you watch that, like in modern even if you watch it now, you will watch it's two hours long. You will be waiting. You're gonna be like, Okay, when does he touching kid? Like we're just conditions. We're so cynical that hey, here it comes again. All right, this is like nothing and he's just pure and it's just and it's just like yeah, and so Ted is just like this. He's not perfect, but it means but he's you know, this egleist thing that people put their ship on and we did that as.
Speaker 6: Viewers and well we we all you know, we're messing with it.
Speaker 1: It was a unicorn to me because I'm like, really, like, this guy knows how to up rock like a bee boy and quote fight from a trap call quest.
Speaker 9: And I broke that all all right, I'm gonna get this whole free trial, Jason, I gotta get it.
Speaker 6: Go back and listen to this whole podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Like when you were like at the Unicorn, I was like I was like, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Telling yes, Like the fact that you had low expectations or whatever.
Speaker 2: It's like I didn't have no whole expectations. I just wasn't streaming service.
Speaker 3: I wasn't ready for expectations.
Speaker 6: It's about having any expectation. It's about and it's not with Jason.
Speaker 9: So I follow you pretty much where you go anyway, and I know it's going to be good and funny. But now that j'all broke it down, I'm like, all.
Speaker 6: Right, oh, but it's like it's a whole the whole vibe and the cast is incredible.
Speaker 8: Like we got such so many good people and like the right staff and everybody just gave it damn. Like it's it's it's it's a really neat thing and it's something really fun to be a part of it much less, you know, like least it's Doe said it's a character, yes, but it's mostly a vibe.
Speaker 6: Like when you watch it, you're kind of like, oh, yeah, yeah, this is this is.
Speaker 1: Jason, come on it. Yeah, okay, since you since you quasi mentioned it. I'm also one of these people that gets mostly attached to a series and if it if the series ends prematurely before yeah it's time, I will slow down. Like I still haven't finished the last four episodes of Detroiters yet because I know that's it. Is there any way possible another network, another or the guys are just like we tried.
Speaker 6: No golly, I I guarante.
Speaker 8: I mean, I can't speak for them, but but I mean that thing deserved a third season. That thing deserve like they never were there, there there was they they're so Tim and Sam are so special as like individual performers, and then there there chemistry together and there you know, they're really that, they're like that in real life, you know, and we and and Joe Kelly, who was one of the you know, producers and writers on Ted Lasso and one of the original creators of the commercials with me that and Zach Cannon, you know, like they they were they were finding their groove.
Speaker 6: They were finding their groove with that show. And you know, it was a bummer. It's a real bummer. But I'm glad that those two exist at least.
Speaker 8: But I don't I don't blame you for taking your time with it because it's it's it's stinks.
Speaker 4: We tried, We tried, you know, all sorts of ways, you know.
Speaker 8: And Ken Alterman, who was in charge of Comedy Central the time was really a big fan of it too, and you.
Speaker 6: Know, it's tough.
Speaker 8: It's tough, you know they I think it would have found its audience in that third season because it's just you know.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah. I was going to say, if anybody out there that needs new content of like anything they overlooked or they're like, okay, what what else is left to watch?
Speaker 4: That's a great one.
Speaker 1: It's like for me, I'm still amazed. There's one particular episode that is such Detroit inside speak. That's what I knew I had to pay attention. Many people don't know is that Stevie wonders My Eyes Don't Cry. That is a step that jam smells like teen spirit to Detroit, like I played before. I let go at a Black Detroit function once and it was like a middle and it's sort of like a response. And the guy ran up to me and says, I know what you're searching for. Play My Eyes Don't Cry by Stevie Wonder. I was like that song, get the fuck out of here, I'm playing superstition and I let the By the end of the night, he says, I'm gonna tell you I would never steal you wrong, find a way to get into Stevie Wonder's my Eyes don't cry and see what happens? And I put it on. Dude. Even the garbage men outside ran in to start doing line stepping. I'd never seen such like chaos over a song that I was like, why this song is a h is it even a jam? But the fact that they managed to play this seven times on that show, knowing what I know about song clearance and whatever, I can only imagine the love letter that somebody had to give to the Stevie Wonder a state to be like, this is an inside joke. We're going to play the song anytime.
Speaker 4: I don't even know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know how we got it.
Speaker 1: That's the first That's the first question I asked Stevie Wonder when asking for Britain permission for clearance for my own project. I was like, forget all that. How did you clear that song for Detroit Is? Seven times?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: That's how much I love it. So I'm just saying that, Yeah, that that that's how much I love that show so the most.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean the Fellow directed parasite. You know, when I was watching that, you know, the the Oscars said that Scorsese didn't score. I forget how you say his name. I actually didn't see Parasite yet.
Speaker 6: But like.
Speaker 8: I know, I know, I just because i've been editing, I've been like that, Okay, okay, I've been just thinking of you know, fake world the whole time, not having the chance to dig around on others.
Speaker 1: It was a twenty nineteen.
Speaker 6: Twenty. But when he said, you know, the most personal is that you know, the most personal is the most what do you say that? Scorsese said, like the most personal is the most original.
Speaker 8: Okay, No, I think it's like the most personal is the most original, and it might be I should look it up.
Speaker 4: I apologize.
Speaker 8: All I know is that praise reminded reminded me of what we were trying to do at Ted Last but in the same way that I loved how specific you know, we call them two percenter jokes on Ted Last Word. It's like we know that the reason we got to do the show is because the soccer community embraced those early commercials, and so we put little jokes in there that are only for the you know, the like the big soccer football fans and Tim and Sam and Joe and Zach did that with Detroitter's all the time for Detroit specifically, and it was just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just love.
Speaker 8: It's just love for for what they're doing and no no judgment, and and that comes across and then you feel like you're in on the joke.
Speaker 6: Even if you don't get the joke, you feel like you're in on the joke, you know.
Speaker 8: Like that's one of the things that we talked about, like with the Alan Iverson speech and the Ted Lasso thing, was like, you get the joke, that's the reference. That's great, but if you don't, it still plays. And I used to say about money Python all the time, it's like, yeah, if you know you know King Arthur history and like you know the folklore, then yeah, Holy Grail works on right.
Speaker 6: Those level a different level.
Speaker 1: Otherwise it's just.
Speaker 6: Really good jokes, you know. It's it's like you know, and Detroit's Yeah was a definite version of that.
Speaker 1: Ted does a brilliant reference to practice exactly, not a game practice.
Speaker 2: Man, not practice.
Speaker 4: Yes he does.
Speaker 1: It's brilliant. So did you guys lose friends or did you gain friends in twenty twenty?
Speaker 7: I didn't lose friends I don't think I lost anyone. I think it just again, this was to me, twenty twenty was just a year of revelation, and I think this was just the year. I didn't lose friends, but I really realized the importance of my friends, and I really saw like who was really down for you? You know what I'm saying, Like, and you know, and I think for a lot of people, A big thing for me was just looking at your life and realizing that if you have people in your life that can't serve you now at a point in time where things are at this most uncertain, you're at your most vulnerable. You know, you're at your you know, your most just kind of crazy. If you have people in your life that can't serve you in this time, then they never served you at all, you know what I'm saying, Like, if you can't you know what I'm saying, If the people in your life ain't showing up for you right now, then it's like, well, what did I ever need you for?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 7: And so that was a big thing for me, just you know, I don't think I lost nobody, but the ones that you know, really been my day ones, Like they really showed up for me in real, real ways, and you know, we showed up each other in real ways, and it just strengthened that bond even more.
Speaker 1: Okay, anyone else that's so perfect?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I mean I wish I had that.
Speaker 8: No, I feel like I feel like I gained friends a little bit like when you like, uh, when you look through the drawer that has T shirts you haven't worn in a while and you're kind of like, right, I love this shirt, or you know, you look through the back of the closet like a little bit like that, where you you know, you know, revisited friends that maybe I I you know, forgotten but I but again, I think it was more about losing going to my own, going in my cave and then coming out like a little bit like bleary eyed and then realizing, oh, here we are and you know, allowing people to see me again versus maybe you know, they were maybe there the whole time. So I think it was a little bit of almost the inverse of what you were what you were just speaking about.
Speaker 1: Do you think with this year and with COVID and everything, do you think that played a role in you and Olivia choosing to split or was that something that was kind of coming anyway.
Speaker 6: You think, No, I think that had a lot. I think I had had a lot to do it. And I think, you know, I mean, you know, I we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 4: You know. Life is long, I I you.
Speaker 6: Know, I feel I feel like all sorts of stuff can still happen.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean we live in longer and longer every day.
Speaker 6: That's true.
Speaker 2: That's true, and start new chapters and new eras.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when you have and when you have, when you have children, there's that you know we're going to be you know, we're gonna share grand kids, assume our kids.
Speaker 4: You so, so we'll you know, we'll see, you know, but we'll see.
Speaker 3: Bill, you know, I don't know. Real hard thing to pass the ball, Bill, Jess. Have I lost to gate any friend? I don't know status quo. I think I live on like my own island and do my own ship. I think it's right when you have kids, like your life is different.
Speaker 6: It's not.
Speaker 3: I don't know. My life is about my kids pretty much all time, all the time. So they're still my friends.
Speaker 1: I think, I hope, Sugar Steve, Uh.
Speaker 11: I'm always making new friends, people, people, really love me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is true.
Speaker 9: That is true.
Speaker 1: That's saying you're sugaring that works, rolling rolling tight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're just you know, slow and steadium. People can just like wrap the love around you.
Speaker 3: You're just like around you know.
Speaker 9: I haven't been dealing with a loss of friends, but I will say I miss I miss I missed touched, and for me, it's been real deep, like even when I was talking to y'all, was like, not for nothing. I missed like coming into a studio and hugging all the y'all and pushing.
Speaker 2: Steve away, and I just I mean, it sounds so simple. Don't say that with that red light on quest love. Don't do that.
Speaker 6: But months without What about eye contact?
Speaker 8: I missed eye contact Like we were doing writing our whole second season, like in a zoom room. And then I remember getting a pair of headphones from my buddy Brendan, who plays Coach Beard, as like a gift, you know, so that he you know, for playing FIFA together, and he drove by and I was just joking around and I'm throw it in the car, you know, like that, and still wrapped in plastic, and just seeing him in person, I was like, hey, you're real three dimensions.
Speaker 6: I was like, yeah, like I totally forgot about that, like by you know, August. You know, you're just like this didn't didn't register anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't realize you have not been touched by like, gon't been touched by like one two people that happened.
Speaker 11: Hey, Jason, can I ask a question? Did you know Hal Wilner over at SNL?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Very yeah, Yeah, I mean, you know, he's the closest you know, the person that I that I know that as you know, you know from COVID. Yeah, I mean one of my favorite stories about how, you know, my first year at SNL was two thousand and three and I was a writer and in between dress and air, you know, all fifty of us, you know, all the cast members and all the writers are all packed into Lauren's room and people are sitting on the floor and they're sitting all over the place.
Speaker 6: And I'd seen how like walking around and I knew, you know, he has very very conspicuous look.
Speaker 8: He's one of those guys that looked like, you know, their muppet would look identical.
Speaker 6: To them, you know, like he and he was sitting Indian style across leg and I'm sorry. I think that's what we're suppoed said now.
Speaker 8: And I was sitting on the floor too, and and and he was just rocking back and forth, just like this, just rocking back and forth. And I was just kind of like looking at him, and I knew he had been around the show for you know, since you know, earlier early on, and he just kind of looks at me, like like the.
Speaker 6: Camera here is my my eyes.
Speaker 8: He's just rocking back and forth, and he just looks at me and he goes. I remember when this whole room was filled with pot smoke and.
Speaker 1: He went right back to rock.
Speaker 6: It was like it was like Laslow from Real G. It was it was just this story and then and then.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean, yeah, he just.
Speaker 6: Had all these stories and and he just really took a shine to me.
Speaker 8: You know, I don't you know, other people in my generation like Melani were even closer to him, or like Fred Obviously they could you know, go hours talking about music and deep cuts and stuff.
Speaker 6: But he he was always encouraging me to like watch weird stuff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: He wanted me to host like a Playboy after Dark kind of series with them. You know, he'd always asked me to do like side gigs that he was doing at town Hall, but you know, like lou Reid stuff, and he just he just he was really really amazing.
Speaker 6: And that one hit. That one hit me hard because I was like, that's that's the closest I've had and I so I can't I can't even remember.
Speaker 8: When I saw him last. It might have been actually in like at the beginning of the year, at the beginning like February. Whenever I left played, Yeah.
Speaker 1: How how was our guy at UH? A thirty rock man? He'd always, yeah, have some trivia I didn't know about about music, And yes, I'm just now discovering. The second time that we played s n L was because of how we did a project with Too to the Maytals, and I didn't realize that how was the one that organized, like how was the label and and the put it all together. I didn't know who he was back in UH two thousand and three when we did it.
Speaker 3: You guys played with two, Yeah, we did.
Speaker 1: We did SNL twice. The Roots, Yeah we did.
Speaker 6: I forgot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the yeah, the when to the Mayteles was on the show.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was my first season yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, we were Yeah, man, so you know what, well, okay, that leads to what celebt death hit you the hardest this year?
Speaker 7: I think for me Black Panther, Yeah, because that that one for me that just came out of nowhere.
Speaker 1: I was like what, like what yeah, because no one knew he was sick. So that was and it was crazy. So it was a buddy of mine, was his.
Speaker 7: Producing partner, my homie, my homie Logan, Logan Cole's and who wow really bring f F circle. Me and him hung out together at the block party, at the day Chepel block party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so Logan and Logan, he just it was it was the crazy shit.
Speaker 7: I've known Logan since God this price Sin is like, oh for so this is probably like sixteen years I've known this guy.
Speaker 1: And Logan would always tell me.
Speaker 7: He'd be like, yeah, so you know, I'm working in and you know, me and my producing partner Chad, me and my homie Chad were doing this and me and my homie Chad, and he was just always just mentioned his homie Chad.
Speaker 1: And so it wasn't until I think like last year. I think it was last year, you're full last he had uh Chad.
Speaker 7: He did a movie called twenty one Bridges. It was like he played this cop. It was just like this cop joint and it was actually pretty good, pretty good flick. But Logan was on Twitter. He was like, yeah, you know, I'm I'm producing this movie. You know, he was bigging up the movie.
Speaker 1: And I hit him. I was like, hold up, dude, you ain't even tell me all these fucking years, the homie Chad you've been talking about is fucking Chad with Boseman.
Speaker 2: He was like yeah.
Speaker 7: I said, holy shit, I didn't even know. And so y'all went and saw it and I hit him. I hit Logan like when he was the first one I hit when I got the news and I just checked. I was like, I'm bro, you good, Like how you y he and he was just like devastated, and he said, man, you know he's as crazy. He said, because you know, the next time you was in LA I wanted to link y'all up because he was he fucked with your music. I was like, word, He's like, yeah, man, you Carolina. Like he's like, you know he was South Carolina, you know you North Carolina. He's like, man, yeah, he fucked with little brother all that shit. He said he wanted to fuck with you. I was like, damn, I had no idea, but but that was super That was just super sad for me like that. It was just a sour note on top of an already sour year.
Speaker 1: Yeah it happened, Kobe, Yeah, Kobe, definitely. That feels like it was two years ago, right, God, I think before March.
Speaker 9: I don't remember who happened when because I still feel like I didn't even give Ali her goodbyes and she was like a guest on our show.
Speaker 1: Yeah for real? When did Ali will was pass away?
Speaker 2: I guess maybe maybe that was the end of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, it wasn't during Okay, you know, it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't during during COVID, but we lost some folks. I lost a from this thing.
Speaker 1: So really wow. Yeah, for me, I think like Bill Withers, oh yeah, passing, Like I always dreamed of getting him on the show, and he was one of my books of this people too. Yeah yeah, and so that that kind of threw me for a loop.
Speaker 2: Oh what, nothing just got sad.
Speaker 7: It was like, yeah, Ali died last year. She got twenty nineteen on Christmas Eve?
Speaker 1: Whoa Okay, it was like right before, right around that time, Steve Herman Kane.
Speaker 2: Good answer. I think that's a good answer.
Speaker 1: Well he's still tweeting, no, so you can holler him for real. Oh yeah, they still they still tweet Herman Kane. Oh you ain't know that.
Speaker 7: Oh you don't be on Twitter like that. Oh no, Herman Kane. They the Kane Trains, the Rolling Baby.
Speaker 1: Still given talking points even despite how he died steal on Twitter, dog steal Oh god, wo yeah.
Speaker 10: I was for the answer for me is how and I would encourage our listeners to check out all of his amazing albums that he put out over the years, tribute albums to everybody from from Monk to the most recent one which was attributed to t Rex that came out right after he passed away. So streaming or stuff. I mean, you guys are giving ads for ice cream? I can hews right, absolutely absolutely?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ain't nobody saying nothing?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 1: Shot?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: Then you know down download him?
Speaker 1: What's yours bill?
Speaker 3: People who died?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Which which one hits?
Speaker 6: You?
Speaker 1: Rock to you a little bit more?
Speaker 3: Ruth Bader Ginsburg Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, damn.
Speaker 8: Oh, I was just gonna say I remember making a mixtape of just Eddie Van Halen's guitar solos, just.
Speaker 6: Just only the solos, like one after another.
Speaker 8: And that's and I would you ride my bike to go play basketball place called the Athletic Club and just be just yours?
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly, yeah, yeah, yeah. It was crazy, just you know, just eruption over and over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be Okay. I was gonna ask what was the most twenty twenty thing ever? Probably for me the disappointment of the amount of peers that I have in this industry. How they disappointed me politically, just one by one, Mega man. I wasn't I wasn't ready for that at all.
Speaker 3: How about how you got Karen the first day you moved into your mansion.
Speaker 1: It's a farm, all right, you know what, We actually straightened it out. Here's here's the deal.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 1: The deal is I am the I'm the youngest person up there. The average neighbors somewhere between like seventy and ninety. Shit. So I would say that maybe that particular person like we definitely had the conversation. It was misunderstanding. He you know, I was like, no, no, I knew I was welcoming you, but you know, I was just still a little alarm that just walked into my crib, like so you on this place. You know, maybe he could have chosen a better opening sentence than that, but you know, just based on what I was wing talking into, I wasn't.
Speaker 9: Expecting you should have done that at his house and see how it played over that I wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Here whatever exactly. Yeah, we'd be yeah, all right this place and we're not back on like a supreme Wow, that's dark, that one's right there. Yeah, I'll say that. Yeah, they're just uh, you know, and I know black people aren't supposed to throw each other under the bus and on stuff publicly, like we don't do that ship. But man, when I when I saw someone give the delors, Tucker was right post that, that hit me kind of hard. The Lords Tucker was right about, like, yeah, just the fuckery of I mean, somewhere somewhere between you know, black on black crime, what about Chicago one hotep one on one and just like it's this so called black contract thing and whatever, like you know, I just yeah, I mean more than him. It's like practically every political hot take talking point just ass backwards. And I know people quote meant well, but you know, now's the time to not be changing horses in the middle of the stream.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it'll all be forgotten the mirror. It's called I'll be forgotten.
Speaker 1: Nah man, I'm telling you like it's I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have a list.
Speaker 1: So what was the most twenty twenty thing for you?
Speaker 7: What's what happened the other day that I saw and I was like, did I put it in the group chat? Something happened? I feel like every dates something happens that is the most twenty twenty things.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ever, look, I'm trying to think.
Speaker 9: I'm not going to be on my black shit, but I do think the world discovering June tenth was a pretty twenty twenty moment.
Speaker 6: But that's just yeah, that was amazing. Yeah yeah, like I'd never heard of it in my life.
Speaker 9: I have no idea because in my moment, like so that everybody think that everybody was independent on seventeen seventy, seventeen seventy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, be straight up, like black people really weren't even celebrating twenty Juneteenth like that. I mean there's a certain sect of black.
Speaker 2: People, yeah, dependent nationwide.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, it was you know, they knew about it, but they didn't know that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But you know how we are.
Speaker 9: Sometimes we got to see white people people acknowledge at first, and we'd be like, yeah, that's right, that is It's just that's not that's the truth that we'll talk about.
Speaker 12: Okay, I feel okay, I remember what it was.
Speaker 7: The most twenty twenty thing I saw was the advertisement for the Lifetime Original movie with Mario Lopez as General sam As as Colonel Sanders Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Speaker 1: Jason, have you seen this?
Speaker 3: Holy?
Speaker 2: I know Jason been doing important.
Speaker 1: He been edited. It's a lifetime It's a Jason. It's a lifetime in your life where you don't have to go through this.
Speaker 6: Is it recent?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Last weekend?
Speaker 3: I think it did.
Speaker 1: Let's will give me one second, y'all give me one second. You remember how Will Farrell and and like Rachel and what's your name? Did they did a real lifetime movie?
Speaker 4: Yes? And they did.
Speaker 1: Ironically, Yeah, this has to be the follow up to that.
Speaker 6: And he's playing Colonel Sanders.
Speaker 1: Mario Mario Lopez is playing Colonel Sanders. Saved by the Bell got them a C. Slater playing Colonel motherfucker Sanders about the little love story, with the whole nine, with the with the fucking ridiculous the little string tie. Everything he's doing, he's not he's not doing a Southern accent.
Speaker 7: He's like, I mean, he's basically talking like Mario Lopez. But but there in this a Lifetime original movie or it says mini movie.
Speaker 1: I think it's only like fifteen.
Speaker 6: Minutes original recipe, original recipe.
Speaker 1: Man, they could have they man movie. It's only like fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: So yall, y'all do know the real.
Speaker 1: It is the story and I thought they were gonna tell that story.
Speaker 9: Yeah no, I mean the real story that this is actually a Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial, alternative advertising that they're trying out like this is I did not know this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Air the thirteenth, I missed it there the thirteenth. But it's called a recipe for seduction.
Speaker 1: Okay, now, now's the time for me to do slight confessional. So in Japan, their relationship with Fried Chicken is on another level. Christmas time. Christmas time in Japan is more akin or closer to Valentine's Day. So what happens is from December twenty fifth to about New Year's Eve, like December thirtieth, you and your loved one you take a staycation and a sexy hotel and you bring with you for an after an after session snack, yeah, post coitus, an eighteen piece KFC dinner. It's like a it's a tradition, like there are lines around the corner of every KFC in Japan around Christmas time because you got stock up on your bucket of chicken and you get your love hotel. They got little love hotels for couples.
Speaker 2: They don't know about Papa's.
Speaker 1: Though, because Nona this Japan. So they offered me. So there was there was once discussion of putting me in that position as sort of the face.
Speaker 2: Of uh no, I'm gonna tell you what we're not about to do.
Speaker 1: Wait layah, this was two thousand and seven. Do you think I did it?
Speaker 2: I know you didn't have to marry, right.
Speaker 1: But they yeah, but they yeah, I got offered.
Speaker 2: That that's what we're not about to do.
Speaker 3: Wow chicken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's my slight confession. Anyway, My last question, my last question, what's the silver lining of twenty twenty?
Speaker 3: Really, that's the silver lining clarity.
Speaker 1: My answer is versus. My answer is versus. Ah okay, oh oh you mean civil lining in that way?
Speaker 7: Okay, well you know what I would say, the civil line if we speak, speaking on that, on that, on that type of time. D Nice, like D Nice one twenty twenty, he was the winner of twenty twenty, like the CEM level up the way.
Speaker 1: He had and not for nothing.
Speaker 9: D Nice was the hero of twenty twenty and the last three months because sometimes to get a little punchive, so it was nice wonder I just gotta say, because because I haven't the records, I'm just saying the records sometimes they be.
Speaker 2: Of the same record.
Speaker 9: But I love you though, and you and big ups to him from going from a downtown apartment in Los Angeles to the Hollywood Hills with a pool. Big up to you, D Nice because.
Speaker 2: He moved child.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yes, you need to look at that.
Speaker 2: Watch that background of meal, watch that background change.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh yeah.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, okay, my man is in a different tax bracket with another carma.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, he leveled up.
Speaker 2: He leveled up?
Speaker 1: All right, Steve, what was your silver lining of twenty twenty?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 10: Everything and everybody was revealed completely fast and also the thing on Instagram with.
Speaker 3: With the new feature with the reels. Yeah, reels, Yeah that's it.
Speaker 6: Do you like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean, imagine what your reels content looks like. Okay, your favorite scroll down? Okay, okay, Bill, what's your silver lining of twenty twenty?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think that we're lucky enough to live in a profession whatever industry, the industry, we can still get worked done and you can still make shit. Yeah, you can edit shit, and I can write ship the mirror, you can make ship in front that you can wrap shit. Yeah, you can have three jobs. We can all still make sure we found our way out of the ship and I.
Speaker 1: And my hope is that we keep using it.
Speaker 7: I think just twenty twenty just revealed just how much of the customs we had were just fucking outdated and fucking pointless, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean? And like, yeah, you know, I think now you know, taking a meeting flying for a meeting, man, listen, you know what I mean. It's like, dude, man, So like I went to like bro one of my boys got married. Man, listen, y'all see me on the Yeah, now yo, I went my man. My man got married the other day.
Speaker 7: My homie got married Saturday, and you know it was on Zoom and you know, me and my wife were sitting there at the table were watching it, and it literally was probably like twenty minutes because all we watched was the vows, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Man, I logged off. I was like, yo, I ain't got to go to another guy the web in my life, cuz that shit was great. We see everybody, like the bride came to the camera and was like, hey, thank y'all for coming, guys, I appreciate it. You know, we put something in a little gift registry whatever, and then not my ass was back on the couch.
Speaker 6: That was great, m I get that.
Speaker 8: That way about press, really about what about press, you know, just like you know, having to do junket interviews and just like you know, being able to do talk show after talk show like in August and September and just doing it doing.
Speaker 6: It like this, and that was it was great to not have to leave the family and leave, you know, do all that.
Speaker 8: As much as that we were joking about, you know, missing an airport, but for little things like that, you know, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 6: I give me the writers them every time. I believe the alphimy of human beings being in the same space. I believe in that power, that magic. But like for for you know, for press, but for me, my, my. The silver lining I think is having my have my heart broken open?
Speaker 1: What do you think was keeping?
Speaker 6: Was it?
Speaker 7: Was it when you got it broken open? Was that when you realize it had been closed all this time?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I yeah, not all this time, but but but for a chunk of time, you know, yeah, you know, And that and that sometimes is uh.
Speaker 6: I think that happens a lot with fear, you know, you know, I know, I know radio humans said love and hate, but that it's loving fear, you know, and uh and yeah, and I think that that fear can can come.
Speaker 1: And get them.
Speaker 6: Uh and so it's better better to run right at it.
Speaker 1: Some that's true. I can double wait what's that thing for?
Speaker 8: That was a good?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I was that was a good.
Speaker 3: That was sometimes you do it.
Speaker 1: Like listen up with me or you need this, and I was like, I'm listening.
Speaker 9: I also was sitting here thinking that this is a silver lining too, because at the end of the day, Zoom and FaceTime have been like the silver lining. I mean, this is what as I talked to my parents and who this is the longest in my whole entire lifetime that I've ever been apart away from them, you know every morning on the FaceTime.
Speaker 1: Naw, this is it's like it's it's been.
Speaker 7: It's been the craziest Black Mirror episode ever because what it did, like you know what I'm saying with with Zoom and everything, essentially, what it's done is it changes the way we process intimacy.
Speaker 1: So you know, like things that used to look that you would look.
Speaker 7: At as trivial, like if someone texted you, like a text whatever, and in the roma years, like you happy as hell to see a text FaceTime, it's like holy shit, you know what I mean, Like those things they take on a deeper meanor yeah, right, So do we assume that quote when this is all over, it just basically means but we don't have to wear masks anymore, That's what That's what it means.
Speaker 9: Now, and not when we don't have to wear a mask anymore. When folks feel comfortable not wearing a mask anymore too, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you can pass a joint again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, facts, facts, fact?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 1: You ever thought about that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, which is why I spending so much god damn money, probably too because I ain't smoking other people or you ain't.
Speaker 1: Smoking with other people.
Speaker 6: Right, you're in the right town now for you know, you're in the right you know, am I? Though maybe not? You know what I'm saying that.
Speaker 2: A block away, am I?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They didn't turned up the prize to the man.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, I wasn't saying that. I'm just saying that it's here, and so it's here, and I wait for it to be over so it could be here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 6: Why didn't we just have we known?
Speaker 1: We usually do? You know, I just want to say that, you know, I think the moment we realized this was the real thing was during the Dawn Lewis episode where it was like, oh wow, our lives, Like we realized at that moment that our lives were going to change because we kept getting text over like coworkers getting sick and all those things, and so, you know, to where we are now. You know, I'm glad that we are all.
Speaker 9: Physically healthy, although I miss our group pictures Cee Jason right now, we'd be impressing you with our nice iHeart studio, with the lights that click on, with the music and stuff.
Speaker 6: You let's take a picture, right, but you know the screencap.
Speaker 1: It's all good, yeah cap. However, yeah, you know, may we may we have a a healthier twenty twenty one and a prosperous twenty twenty.
Speaker 9: I know, spirits upquest love. We got a whole new president at opposite the very least we got that.
Speaker 2: Come on, now, come on now.
Speaker 1: Yes I'm not.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: And I'm also being considered that someone's asleeping.
Speaker 3: The other okay, okay mine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because she's about to be up at deb five exactly.
Speaker 2: I want a trampoline.
Speaker 1: But Jason, I thank you for joining our year end review. This absolutely oh man yo, and for I forget dude. I just wanted to tell you, man, I have totally for you. Leave.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 1: My favorite fucking role of yours man Shane from fucking Eastbounding Down. Oh, when I tell you that is like every white dude I went to high school with. I that yeah, Oh my god, Like you nailed that ship, Bro.
Speaker 6: That was HILARI myrtle beach. That's you know, that's like you know, those dude No, I mean those dudes Danny and Jody Hill and David, you know David were green.
Speaker 8: I wish I would have known that school existed when I was, you know, between my nineteen and twenty three, because I would have gone to North Carolina School of the Arts if I knew I was going to you know, find fucking guys like that, because those are dudes that just are fun to play with them in whatever sandbox they create.
Speaker 6: So yeah, man, I'm just good dudes. So to play catch up of those goods I.
Speaker 3: Said, I love and Found turns into Chris Farley at the end of the episode. Hey man.
Speaker 1: Was awesome. Thank you, I own the DVD. Yeah. I was going to say, Jason, uh yeah, when season two is upon us or even your next project, we have to do a proper yeah episode.
Speaker 2: Talking about the basketball star.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, no, all those things, but yeah, we caught you at our year end episode where we sort of neutralize our guests to be one of the one of the crew.
Speaker 6: One of us flattered to get the harm alcohol.
Speaker 1: This is the most sober episode besides Unpaid Bill. This is the most sober episode that we've had so far. But anyway, but thank you for joining us.
Speaker 9: Guys, have a safe thank you for bringing us joy and last holiday.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, so i'na be happy like sugar. Steve Fan, take a loo. I'm paid, Bill and Jason Sudgas is much love and we will see you next year for the next go round a quest Love Supreme. Thank you, yo. What's up? This is Sponte.
Speaker 7: Make sure you keep up with us on Instagram at QLs and let us know what you think and who should be next to sit down with us.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to subscribe to our podcast, all right peace? How Much Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.