Speaker 1: Welcome to Games of Names. I'm Julian Edelman, and we got a brand new compilation highlight reels. Starting now.
Speaker 2: Now, Vince will Ford breaks down the iconic butt fumble.
Speaker 1: We got to dive into this moment though, And the funny thing is we started this episode by talking about two gap. Yes, and that right there is the definition of two gap is when you blow them up so much that it runs the runner into the blocker. That's like, that's called recreating the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, give us peak for b Well, it's fight pressure with pressure, right, So it's like, you know.
Speaker 1: So pressure with pressure meaning the offensive line guys pushing pressure at one direction on Big V, trying to probably wall them off in a certain direction. So Big V's got to put that pressure against that because he wants to attack that area, right, right.
Speaker 3: You want to always fight pressure with pressure because that kind of tell you where the ball is supposed to go. And like I say, and on that play, honestly, you know, Nick didn't come directly at me aggressive, and Brandon didn't come to me directly, you know aggressive, So I was stuck like, okay, who the attack? Remember, right, I have two gaps so who'd attack. I can't attack this guy and be out of gap, and I can't attack this guy because so in that midd of second, it's like I had to make a decision. So if you see, I was basically in the middle of that gap with both of them and trying to understand, and once Nick I felt Nick kind of leave, I knew then I had to fight back, and he had Brandon it was on my shoulder, so that's why it's like I kind of trying to get my arms back and press, and once I pressed.
Speaker 4: That's why.
Speaker 3: But before my HAALP because I guess that gap closed fast enough for Sanchez and he didn't realize how fast it was closing.
Speaker 4: So that's what happened on that play. Brother, did you feel Mark Sanchez running to the offensive lineman through you or no?
Speaker 3: No, I just I just felt once I pressed Brandon feil and then when I looked up the ball was going, I'm like, oh, fumble, you know, But I didn't know he ran into his button and fumbled like that.
Speaker 4: You know, I had no idea.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine being that strong? Listen, listen three hundred and we'll say in conservative League forty five pounds. That's perfect other side three hundred probably at most three fifteen, so the pounds of pressure. Yeah, that these two men are literally trying to kill each other for. And Big V is so strong. Another two hundred and fifteen pounds hits that and he doesn't feel it, like you gotta be fucking strong for that. And that's what Like, I just remember Big V. Would I would see Big V come in the weight room and just put as many plates as you can see on the thing, do is like four sets, and then just dip out like that's how strong. Now you gotta be fucking strong to do that. It's a real man right there. Yeah, that's a man. That's a man's man. Baby.
Speaker 2: Now, Vince, will Fork and Jewels share their favorite Belichick stories.
Speaker 1: Have one bone to pick though, Oh I want to hear this one now. Can you at least confess that Bill is way softer on fucking defensive guys than offensive guys. And you want to know how? I know because he would come up and ask us questions like on Wednesdays. Always he'd always test us, right, he'd always test us both offense and defense in front of each other. He'd look over at me Edelman, what coverage is this? And this this? He look over at V. Hey, V, what color is the team we're playing? Oh no, that's not true.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 3: But see we thought, because you got to understand, Bill used to come into our meetings when he leaves squad and all that, he would come in there with us and grill us. Yeah, so our question answering. He might not give it to us all in a team meeting, but he'll leave that meeting when we break up an individual. He'll come in there and grill us with questions.
Speaker 1: Hey, big V, we're playing Derrick Henry this figure? Is this a run or past? Say shit? Like, I'm not even joking, bro, I'm sitting there. They're asking us scheme this this this? They're like, hey, is this cheap coach? Like to throw it or run it?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what the first I'll tell your funny story with Bill and me. Right, So my rookie year, we I think we we in many counselor something like that, and he's asking questions and I mean he going around and he's asking like layup questions, right, So he get to me, he said, Vince, what is memorial today? So I'm like, man, I don't know if it's a trick question or not. So I was like, barbecue. He said, no, you a w what answer it. I'm like, that's what we do, barbecue.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: When I tell you, Bill cauldn't do nothing to laugh. He could do it because I'm like, what do you ask me? I'm like, it's a trick question. What are you asking me? So he went on to tell everybody about memory. Then I'm like, hey, man, I'm like, be a coach. I thought you was asking me what what we do on memory? He said, no, no, you asked.
Speaker 1: Whole I'm talking about that that.
Speaker 4: I'm like, my bad. That was my first question from Bill. And that's how I answered it. The first question and.
Speaker 1: He and he had a little jolly smile. That was, oh, I asked, so you guys gotta get out of here. No.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: When he used to ask Grunk question, we would laugh. If Grunk knew what it didn't know, we would laugh and he would laugh.
Speaker 4: So it's like he would.
Speaker 3: But I truly believe with Bill, and when it came to me, I can truly think that I think Bill was testing me early on in my career on.
Speaker 4: My knowledge of the game.
Speaker 3: I really was, and I appreciate him so much for doing that because he taught me so much about football in the game itself.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: A lot of questions that he would you gotta understand. When I was a rookie, our defensive line, we was in charge of knowing quarterback pivots, the route, tree blocking schemes, cadence motions. We had to know all of that, which.
Speaker 1: Gives you an advantage because if you know the concepts, you know that the quarterback's got to get the ball out. Like yes, we which a lot of It's crazy to me that teams don't do that.
Speaker 3: That's but Bill stopped. I think we were the last class that came in that he did that too. But I think looking back now, I think he was just basically trying to see how smart in my my football IQ was because in Bill my Bill is thinking three four steps ahead. He's like, let me see, I'm gonna test and see what he knows. And I proved to him that I know the game of football, you know, And I think that allow us to do a lot defensively, scheme wise, with me knowing what's going on. Not only from a defensive line standpoint, but you know the back end from the defense and offensively what they're trying to create and build through formations and this and that. So it was like a not only we had you know, the secondary, but if it was Rotney or if it was deaf with the calls, you know, we had our linebackers with the calls. Now he have trust that, Okay, I know Vince will be able to get calls out, get us lined up up front, and it allowed us to play so much faster as a defense. And you know, I credit all of that to Bill because how he taught me the game. I thought I knew the game, but you know, sitting down and having a conversation with him, you know right away like I don't know much about what I think I do, so I you know, I always think on because he meant a lot to me, not only in my personal life and the friendship we have and we built over the years, but as a coach, what he was allowed to coach and teach me. That's why I became the player I became, and that's why I moved from nose tackle to a defensive tackle to in and then I can flop to go to this side, So I didn't do I didn't play a nose tradition like any other two gap nose because Bill had a luxury of moving me in different positions and I can produce at those positions. So it just allowed us as a team in defense to manipulate a lot of play calling from my offense and start scanning the point, you know, because they never knew where I was.
Speaker 4: Going to be, you know.
Speaker 1: And a lot of it is common sense though that which is all right, take best defensive linement, put him on worse offensive linemen, maybe not be in traditional spot, but that's weakness, and then you win, you know what I mean, Like, oh yeah, but like that's it's crazy. Like I watch a lot of these defenses and I'm like, are I guess we're just that much smarter? Because I was out, I'm sitting here and I was talking to Antonio Gates. We did a show together, and he doesn't realize that I was in seventh grade when he was talking about the game that right he was playing. I'm like, I wasn't in this game. But the whole time he keeps on talking to me, how the fuck we lose these pages? And it hints to me like, it's because we were, like what you're talking about, we were the smartest football team by far.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah we were.
Speaker 1: We always was, you know what I mean. Like it wasn't just know your position, you knew the rhyme and reason why you were doing what you were doing.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of times I lined up and I knew we had teams where first player of the game, I'm lined up somewhere opposite in the nose because office lineould said, you know, I got a lot of old crap.
Speaker 4: Didn't realize I was going to be over there. So now I know.
Speaker 3: Okay, now I'm playing with your scheme because everything you prepared for it's not it. So now you have to go back to the drawing board and you have to figure out, Okay, where event's going to be, what they're gonna be playing. We thought he was gonna be this, but now but yeah, I remember, like it's a lot of office linemen like, oh, crap, you over here, what you're doing over here? Yeah?
Speaker 4: The screw You'll play up a simple as that.
Speaker 1: Now, a guy you played with on those defenses is now the head coach of the New England Patriots, Mike Rabel I love it. What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: I love it, you know.
Speaker 3: And the thing is, I had the luxury to be a player with Mike and in Houston he was a linebackers coach, so coach for Mike, I mean played for Mike, and I always knew since the time that our plan days that he was going to be a head coach.
Speaker 4: I always knew that. I mean, he was a coach, like.
Speaker 3: No doubt in my mind that was going to happen. And I love that move because he's going to get the best out of everybody. And he's very smart when it comes to the game of football. He knows exactly what he's doing. He know how to he know how he wanted to deliver messages. He's outspoken. If he believe in something, he believe in it. If he don't like some he'll tell you. I mean, he will speak his mind. But at the same time, the respect that he receives is because what he poured out. So I think we're in good hands with Mike. I really do believe we're gonna do We're gonna do some wonders this year. I mean, we're going to sell a different football team this year and I'm expecting for us to shock a lot of people, you know, just because of I know Mike as a person and the player and the coach.
Speaker 4: I've already known him, you know, I know it.
Speaker 1: And they spend money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they gonna spend guess what he ain't for the hottest hand. If he wants somebody, he gonna let me know we need this player. I don't want him, we need him. He'll tell him, you know. And and that's what I love about him. He's a he's a player's coach. But at the same time, he's disciplined. He's going to have a smart football team, not gonna make a lot of dumb mistakes, and they're gonna play hard for him. They're gonna play hard for him. So I'm excited about it. I'm happy that, you know, we did get Mike, you know, if that was the choice, I love that we we went and grabbed him because I think he'll do wonders for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think these teams are gonna look more like our old teams, Yeah.
Speaker 4: In some capacity.
Speaker 3: Yet I think one of the main things we're gonna get is the competitiveness and aggressive play, I think, and a smart team. You know, so you're gonna see we're gonna look We're gonna look apart. We're going to look like we know what we're doing. You know, the past four or five years, we didn't look like that. We were we you know the past four or five years, you know what we look like.
Speaker 4: We looked like.
Speaker 3: Teams we used to talk about, Yeah, like how can how you do that? That's how we used to look. I don't think we'll look like that.
Speaker 1: Teams we're gonna be. We're going to be coached very very well and hard, and we're going to play hard. What what's the difference between Raves as a coach and a player? Really nothing, really nothing nothing. That's why when I played with him, he's the same guy as a coach. Then when I played with him. You gotta understand, I've seen Rave, him and Tom Brady go at.
Speaker 3: It on the sideline or practice, and you know, I've seen Brave Raves walking out a quarterbacks meeting with Tom. I've seen Rave and Tom walking down the hallway with a playbook talking about this. And I've seen Ray and Tom talking about scheme I saw and I heard Ray tell Tom that would never work against this guy. I've seen it like so the respect Tom gave him for input in what he was trying to do, that tells you everything.
Speaker 1: What was the worst thing you ever heard Coach Frable say to Tom?
Speaker 4: I mean it got f you you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, F bombs was always a part of it. He didn't care who you a bill get F bombs?
Speaker 1: Brave man.
Speaker 3: Look at when when I tell you, when Mike believe in something, he gonna stand firm in it and he's gonna tell you why.
Speaker 4: Now that's what I love about it.
Speaker 1: Was he a smart shit talker?
Speaker 4: Yeah he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he like pulled something out of the cuddies.
Speaker 3: I've been on the field with with with a call come in and raise, He'll shake your head. That's not gonna work. I've been in the hoddle with him, or when we in the meeting room. That's not gonna work. And he'll tell you why. He was so smart as a player, it was just you would never believe that he was a linebacker. The way he saw the game. He saw it as a head coach scenario situation. He's seen it as a head coach as a player. Now, this just popped it in my head. Do you think Bill liked Rable more than you because he let him play offense and gave him a touchdown. And look, kid, that's one thing I regret with Bill, like, come on, Bill like and the crazy thing is. But the thing is he did Seymore. He let Seymore line up in the backfield. So I'm like, man, listen, no, no shade towards anybody. But I was the best. I was the best athlete on the defense, hands down. Tell him straight up. I returned kicks in high school. I kicked the ball in high school.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: I played every position you could possibly name on on the field. One position I would never play it center, but I tried it and I hated it. But I played every position like I played basketball. I dunked basketball.
Speaker 4: I did all of that.
Speaker 3: I was the greatest poundful pound athletes on the pages. I mean, Jamie Collins pretty tight. But listen, here a guy in my side to do what I did. We're not for to play this. I played lineback, I dropped, dropped in cover like. I could do all of that.
Speaker 1: And you could dance. I could dance like a ballerina.
Speaker 4: I could dance.
Speaker 1: My footwork was good, and you could you could move like a ballerina.
Speaker 3: So for me not to be on the offensive side of the ball when I see a lot of guys not just from us, but other teams, you know, putting their guys in the background that you know, have some athleticism to them.
Speaker 4: You know, that was kind of bombed out for me.
Speaker 1: Now would that be a perfect moment to use if Bill, you saw Bill mufox.
Speaker 4: Oh I hit him with that? Well, yeah, you movefo.
Speaker 2: Next, Vince will Fork shares his story of Tom Brady and Matt Castle's prank war.
Speaker 3: You remember when it was Matt Cassel and Tom going back and forth. Oh my god, what happened? They was going back and forth pranking each other. So so I think Matt philed Tom Carve for all of these little bubbles peanuts. So Tom took his tires and hit him everywhere and hit him like so he had three tires and still was looking for one. It was in the bubble.
Speaker 4: So Bill finally like, look, guys, she stopped screwing around.
Speaker 1: You please too much?
Speaker 3: Playing the kidding out of control, just kidd So Bill had to put a stop to it.
Speaker 4: Man, it was going for weeks.
Speaker 3: It was going, dude, they were I mean, I'm like, dude, when I was when I tell you, some of my most funniest times in life is on a football fielding in the locker room. So people always ask me, do you miss the game? I'm like, no, you know, I missed my teammates in the locker room and the fans. That's what I miss. I don't miss the game itself. I missed the camaraderie just hanging out in the locker room two three hours after we finished, and just sitting down and drinking gatorad and just hanging out in the locker room.
Speaker 2: Like next, Vince will Ford gives us his Mount Rushmore of the U.
Speaker 1: He's on your Mount Rushmore of Miami Hurricanes.
Speaker 3: Man, that's so hard like because we have so many great players. My first and foremost I put on is Ed Reed and Rays down. You know Ed Reed is he's a staple of a Hurricane. And I would go Jerome Brown Brown JB.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 3: He was like the one that started the defensive tackle trend. And then it's like you have to I get I mean Ray, right, I mean Ray? And then of course it's like you got Andre Johnson, Like pick him Andre Johnson, Michael Irvin who you want to send, like, like, pick.
Speaker 4: One of them.
Speaker 1: I know it's it's tough.
Speaker 4: You know, even with defensive tackles.
Speaker 3: You still got war One Sap out that, you got Cortes Kenny out there, you got Russell Maley out there, so like, you can't go wrong because the amount of players we had in the careers that had. One thing I always loved about US University of Miami being in the NFL is the longevity we had in the NFL. We have longevity with guys ten eleven, twelve plus.
Speaker 1: Years, like the durability.
Speaker 3: Look at Frank Gored, I mean we still Frank Gore, I mean Willis mc like, just look at Frank for inst It's like, man, his career spectacular. And I'm gonna tell you just like that, when I seen Frank as a freshman, I didn't know how good he was.
Speaker 4: I just knew he was. He was good.
Speaker 3: He was decent, right, but I didn't didn't know how really good he was until he got a chance to get to the league and show that thing all over the year. And now he's one of the top leading the Russians. Every hes gonna be a Hall of Famer. Yeah, and mind you, he was a third back, third string behind Clinton, behind Willis McGahee.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then it was Frank and we all.
Speaker 1: On one team. It's crazy. I mean, I remember when you guys won that Natty and no One Ken Dorsey, that's right, Dorsey. Ken Dorsey was from my area and we went. We went to the same quarterback coach because I was playing quarterback, and he was like, that was like, how is it winning a Natti?
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is when we won that Natty, you know, it was always big talk about Nebraska and they tradition and this and that other. And I'm like, we went to the Disney Disneyland whatever it was Disney World out there, and they were looking at us like we were gods. And we knew then we was going to beat their heads in because they were looking like us like they seen a ghost. Ye, holy crap. Like yeah, So we knew going into that we was going to beat the dog crap out of We knew that. Like our toughest game getting to that was you know, we had to scare and B, C and D in the Virginia Tech game. When we got us to the Rose Bowl, they almost got you, but yeah, got I mean it was. But the Natty itself, no man, no match, no match, no match whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Is that one of the top and college football teams of all time?
Speaker 4: Absolutely it is. It is the It is the best. I don't care who you pair, I don't care name it.
Speaker 1: Who are some of the go through the rosters in USC two thousand.
Speaker 4: Four, It wouldn't have matter. It wouldn't have mattered some of the earlier Miami teams. Only they say that eighty.
Speaker 3: Eighty eight est severity. They think the eighty one of the eight. I think it's the eighty eight or eighty one, eighty eight, eighty six, whatever they think that. I'm like, no, because what we had, well, we had depth. You have to understand. I was a backup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see, I'm saying that tells you all the depth you need to know.
Speaker 3: So it's like it didn't matter, like when we took one guy out and one going in, we don't.
Speaker 4: We didn't miss a beat.
Speaker 3: So you know, now you have guys that if one guy got off the fist, like everything go to crap, not of us, like we had guys rolling in that can go start at any other college.
Speaker 4: There is