Speaker 1: Hello Texans, Welcome to the show. It's a big one tonight. Mark Vandermare and John Harris with you. We have plenty to talk about. It's been roster overhaul week, well not really overhaul, but get it down to fifty three, get the practice squad set up, that kind of week in advance of the Texans and Rams September seventh, huge weekend in college football coming up. We'll get to all of it, and we'll start off the show with the General, the Pro Football Hall of Famer John McClain. All right, General, we haven't had a chance to talk since the roster was constructed. Your thoughts on the initial fifty three, the practice squad, some of the developments.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking?
Speaker 3: Well, of course, we know that's an ongoing process. As Nick Cassario pointed out at his news conference on Wednesday, and I thought Graham Mertz as a third quarterback was unusual. He played really well in that last game. Obviously they were worried somebody might claim him keeping two tight ends. And remember, and the listeners got to remember today can elevate practice squad guys like Harrison Brian, he can maybe added to the roster. Miles Briant. He's gonna be added to the roster because they only have what two slot. They don't even have a backup Miles Bryant backup slot corner right now. So things will change on game day, and boy, game day can't get here quick enough because we're all so fired up about the season.
Speaker 4: We are definitely fired up about the season. I think quarterback one was a little surprising in fact today, earlier today, it was noted Keaton Slovas is going to sign with the Arizona Cardinals practice squad.
Speaker 5: So good for him.
Speaker 4: He returns back home where he was a high school star there in the state of Arizona. But general, it's talking about those two tight ends for a little bit, Dalton Schultz cased over and that's it. Now they brought Harrison Bryant back on the practice squad. Would imagine he would be one of the elevations. But your level surprise in the sense that the only kept two tight ends at this point, Kate Stover adult Schultz.
Speaker 3: Well, considering they traded for Brian he's on the practice squad, it'll be a moot point on game day. But they need Dalton shows to play the way did two years ago, and Cat Stover loves to knock people on their butt, and and since most players make their biggest improvement between the first and second season, I expect a lot of improvement from him as a receiver. He's learning Nick Cayley's offense just like everybody else for the first time. And I think that I love watching Stover block and that he may never have a better block. And what was it in the practice in the joint practice against Carolina which patters blind?
Speaker 5: Yeah, ants it was Derek Brown.
Speaker 3: Dereck Brown knocked him on his tail. I'll guarantee you Brown got a lot of grief from his teammates when they watch Tapa that. But I think tidy ends not a worrisome position. The biggest worry, of course, is running back. I like the fact they kept British Brooks. I love to see what he can do in short yardage situations. Can't wait to see. I love the fact that Nick Chubb is healthy. How that translates on the field, we don't know. But he averaged five yards of Carrie Damian Peers. If he stays healthy last year of his contract, this is a great opportunity for him, and I can't wait to see what he marks, see what Woody Marx can do as a rookie, not just as a runner, but as a receiver and arguing. But while he's one of their most versatile players and a good special teams player. So they got a lot of options at running back, but it's still going to be a questionable, questionable position until they prove they can produce at a level close to the way Joe Mixon produced season.
Speaker 1: General, I'm going to ask John Harris this question in the next segment. So Johnny, no spilling the candy and the lobby right here, but John, you tell me, John McLean, who the third leading receiver on this team is going to be. It's gonna be n Neico Collins, Christian Kirk one two. But what do you think about the third leading receiver who you got.
Speaker 3: Considering Jalen Knowle's coming off the bench. You'd say Jay Niggins would be because he's the starter. But no, Man, when I looked at what the draft experts, I expect the pick that they were most impressed with was not Jay Niggins in the second round, that Jalen Nole in the third round. And they thought that was a steal by the Texans. So I'm gonna say of the whiteouts, because I think there's a good chance Dalton Schulz could be number three. But I'm gonna say that that no at the end of the year will end up being the third. Third in ca Christen Kirk can stay healthy and be right there behind Nico. You hope Jay Naked steps up and against the ball a lot, but I think we all are really eager to see Noel Noel when he gets the ball, because he's so elusive and quick, and he was great in college.
Speaker 5: General.
Speaker 4: Along those lines are the receivers. There are seven of them on the fifty three man roster. Were you surprised they kept seven? A few days ago, I said, man, after John Metchu was traded, I thought I could see five, make jaln Noel, U punt returner, mag Justin Watson expendable.
Speaker 5: There you got five, and then you can.
Speaker 4: Pick up at other positions, namely maybe an extra tight end, et cetera.
Speaker 5: But they went with seven. They did it last year too.
Speaker 4: Now, Stephen Simms only lasted a certain amount of time with the team, but they went with seven for the first six or seven weeks. Your thoughts about keeping seven wide receivers.
Speaker 3: I was surprised. I thought it would be six. But last season is a great example of why he needs seven. Nico missed five games, what digs miss eight? How many Tank Dell end up missing five? So your top three receivers missed significant time, you better have guys ready to go another system. They've got Jared Wayne. Do they have another receiver on the practice squad?
Speaker 4: But when you sign they signed Josh Kelly out of Texas Tech today?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, Jared Wayne knows the system, so he can be elevated if somebody gets hurt. But you've got to have multiple receivers. It'd be a great problem to have if nobody ever got hurt and they didn't need any of those backups. If Nico Collins stays healthy and plays a full season for the first time, I'll bet he has one hundred catches for over fifteen hundred yards and fifteen touchdowns.
Speaker 1: General, I want you to think about this one. Is this the most loaded the Texans have been going into a season ever? Or is it second place to twenty twelve team. Now, I'm not talking about how they ultimately end up that particular campaign or any particular campaign.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: How you felt about the team's talent heading into the campaign. At this very moment, what do you think? Where does this rank for you?
Speaker 3: This team has more depth on defense, and I wasn't surprised they kept so many defensive alignment. Those guys earned it, and I'm glad they didn't let somebody get away or trade him. I thought Nick Cassio with trade alignment, maybe a tackle for a sixth round pick, and they get hurt, and then you know the Nico Audrey has been seems like suspended most of the time he's been here, or on a list like he is now when he comes back, he's still a dangerous player at his age. It's a good problem to have now. Offensively, twenty twelve, they didn't have they had a better offensive line, you know, they don't. As much as we think about Nico Collins, he wasn't Andre Johnson, and so I think defensively this team has more offensive league that team had more because they had a great running back, one of the best in the league. And so I would say is offense twelve defense twenty five.
Speaker 4: General, what's your general sense of the running back room right now? We don't know about Joe Mixon. Obviously that's been He's going to be out four weeks, and it's been a little bit of a point of contention in the media lately. But your thoughts about what they have with Nick Chubb, with Daria Goomblewala, with what he marks with Damian Pearson and keeping British Brooks. What's your level of confidence in that running back group? How do you feel about that running back group?
Speaker 3: Well, before Chubb had his knee injury and then broke his foot last year and he's one hundred percent. You know, he's one of the best backs in the NFL. But he and people say he's got a lot of mileage. No, he doesn't. He's been rehabbing a lot. Joe Maxon has a lot of mileage, is second and carries in the NFL over I can't remember having the last five years to Derrick Henry, And you know, there's no guarantee Joe Mixon's going to be ready after four games and we don't even know what neck Sario's asked if he played this season, he said, we'll see, We'll take it one day at a time. So right now you have to really forget about Joe Mixon, and I think if Chubb this is really going to be a running back by committee. Can't see Nick Chubb coming out and filling the role that Mixing held last year when Cassario stolen from the Bengals. And Joe's an underrated receiver besides being a really good runner, he's been a double digit touchdown guy. Cincinnati got rid of him when he scored double digit touchdowns, so it's going to be hard to replace him. And it would really help if Damian Peers could stay healthy and capitalize on this system and come in and back up do a good job as a backup to Chubb. And they have maybe Woody Marx, if not Dorri Goombawally as the third down receiver.
Speaker 1: All right, General, I don't want to open up a can of injury here, but let's do a little bit of that, because you've been covering this game for a little while.
Speaker 2: So what are your thoughts.
Speaker 1: On teams and how they handle injuries overall? Because this league, once you get into the regular season, you do have an injury report every week and you've got guys put on IR and very often you see what the injury is. I think you always see what the injury is when they go on IR. I believe I might be wrong about that. But what are your thoughts on offseason, preseason, that kind of thing And what went down this week with the Miko Ryans and Nick Assario with the media.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, the media's job is to ask about players who are not there, and when it's one of your best players who you're being counted on so much, you have to ask. You know, they don't have to answer, but you have to ask, and your bosses tell you to ask. You know, Nick Assario and Nmiko Ryans are told to do something about kel mcni, they're going to do it. You know, you're asking for the fans that pay the freight, You're asking for the listeners. People want to know. People are constantly talking, well, what's up with Joe Mixing? And in almost every case that I know of, teams are reactive instead of proactive. You could come out and say, well, Joe was working out in Florida and he re injured his foot and he's undergoing rehab and we'll talk to it next time right before he's eligible to come off not football injury less, and then the story that's it but most teams are reactive. And I remember one time O'Brien told me I'm looking for any little morsel we can find about our opponent because every little morsel can help us win. And I said, well, you need more morsels, and Bill I thought about that at the time. I asked him, one time, have you ever seen a media person win or lose a game? Have you ever seen a media person affect the game? Including those of us who watched practice, talk to assistant coaches and wrote what the team has said about an honest injury, not a nagging one where a guy could be there next week or the next week, but if it was a legitimate one keeping him around a long time. I said, you ever hear about a coach, I mean a media person affecting a game? Well, of course, he said no one time. I'll tell you all this. Brown's made the playoffs for the only time under Bill Belichick, and he decided the media couldn't watch practice. Well, now, nobody, I don't think it's to watch practice sep In training camp you get to go out stretching. And so that was a big deal in the NFL that this bell Belichick, who was not popular, telling the media all of a sudden, you can't watch practice. Jack Pardee was the head coach of the Oilers and they were in the playoffs, and I said, if you thought about doing what that Belichick guy is doing in Cleveland, Jack said, I played fifteen years and I've coached the Redskins, and I've coached the Bears, and I've coached the Oilers, and I've never seen one time a person in the media have any kind of effect on any game. And if I ever do, I'll close practice too.
Speaker 4: General is floating around the interwebs and social media, and I went to the NFL Game Day account and they NFL dot Com made some award predictions. If this were to come true, tell me what you think that says about both the player and the defense and the team of the Texans. If this comes true, their prediction for Defensive Player of the Year is one Will Anderson Junior. If he is Defensive Player of the Year, what do you think it says about what this team could do in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: It means the Texans had a great defense. And remember these awards were only being done for regular season. But you know who's going on in the playoffs. It means he would add fifteen to twenty sacks, and it means the Texans would have won the division and be a team to be reckoned with, especially the defense led by Will Anderson Junior, a serious candidate for NFL Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: General.
Speaker 1: I'm in the oppressed minority of people who miss the fourth preseason game. But I suppose I like the seventeenth game. I like more games that count, but I still miss this one Thursday night before Labor Day. I kind of enjoyed it with the reserves playing the rookies, that kind of thing. Are you ready to give it up now that when they go to eighteen games and it's pretty much when and not if that they will play on Labor Day weekend eventually, and they used to play on Labor Day weekend. I know that you think they're dead set against it, But if they go to eighteen. When they go to eighteen, they'll probably have two buys. They're just going to run out of calendar at some point. Don't you think they'll play on Labor Day?
Speaker 3: Uh? No, there's no need to play on Labor Day because you can move the super Bowl whenever you want. Every city gets super Bowl as to keep all the rooms and everything available for February so you can move it back eighteen games to two games off. When they got out of Labor Day is because TV ratings always started poorly. Now maybe the NFL so big right now it wouldn't matter. But I think they like the build up, the hype for the extra week. Players like having off. We'll have two games, starters will play a little bit in one game and the others will not. They may have another joint practice, a couple of teams at three joint practices. So I don't see them playing on Labor Day because if they did and the TV ratings were down from last year, that's all they care about, and there's no need that you couldn't move the super Bowl back another week.
Speaker 5: I'd like to see them starting Labor Day, but that's okay.
Speaker 4: I like the fact that Labor Day will be saved for college I know there's a decent number of games that are taking place tonight. Nebraska Cincinnati at Arrowhead is definitely one of them, but it's a longer Thursday Friday slate then you.
Speaker 5: Would normally expect.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't have a ton of great games, but you know you've got decent ones in that Nebraska Cincinnati game is going to be a decent one.
Speaker 5: So I mean, I'm okay with that. General.
Speaker 4: Mike Tannabaum was on first take, sitting across from Oh, you know where I'm.
Speaker 3: Going with this smoking okay taking.
Speaker 4: If you haven't heard Mike Tannenbaum when asked who was going to win the AFC South, he said with conviction and then tried to argue it.
Speaker 5: The Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 4: Now you may not want or may see the Texans winning the division, that's fine, but his logic was so fast awkwards it was unbelievable. Your thoughts about Tannenbaum saying something dumb again and it being the Titans winning the division.
Speaker 3: It's the first time I've agreed with Steven A. Smith on anything, because the way he looked at Tannebaum and just tore him apart. And there's no way you can justify something like that. Now, if it happens, he'll look like one of the all time geniuses, and if it doesn't, he'll look like a former GM can get a job in football again. I thought that was of all people are always looking for something different, but that one was so out of left field. It wasn't in the ballpark, and I thought Mike looked like such a dumb ass.
Speaker 2: How are they feeling about that defense?
Speaker 1: Because total yards they looked pretty good last year, but they were getting the ball of the drive. Starts were ridiculously good for the opponents. And we're not talking about a scoring defense. We're talking about yardage surrendered. That offense was top two in giveaways, so your defense is at the thirty and even if they scored, you only gave up thirty yards.
Speaker 2: But they scored.
Speaker 1: I thought those stats were really massed the total yardage defense. What do they think coming into twenty twenty five? How are they feeling in general general in Nashville about this team.
Speaker 3: They will never say this publicly, but they would love to double their win total and go from three to six. Wards show a lot of promise as a quarterback who can get better. Gods are he's not gonna play seventeen games. He'll get hurt, or he'll go through a bad stretch and get managed because he doesn't have a lot of talent around him. Their backup running back Tuyse Spears is out for at least four games and they got Pollard. Their wide receivers are not very good. We expected their offensive line to be good the last two years and it hasn't been. And yes, their defense is good, but man, they're gonna be involved in a lot of low scoring games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're gonna be It's gonna be tough for them to do much.
Speaker 4: I think offensively, I think, if you're right, General, if they can't get the five or six wins, I think they're gonna be feel good about it. What I thought I find interesting with them is what happens to Brian Callahan. If they win five or six, they're showing enough that they keep him around, et cetera. Because they've changed GMS. General, the New England Patriots have one player from a nine player draft in twenty twenty four, or whoever picked those players is still the guy picking those players, but it's a new head coach. What do you think this means with Elliott Wolf and Mike Vrabel there in New England? Is this simple as Frabel is just gonna work his magic until he has that personal department the way he wants, or do you think Vrabel and Wolf will eventually kind of work together the way they want to and have a relationship, kind of like Nick and Dimiko Avin Houston.
Speaker 3: I think that Mike Grabel wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't have final sale on personnel and might not say it in his contract. But Elliott will's gonna draft who he wants. And the previous regime, you know, they they were bad all around, and so some of those guys might have stayed if they'd kept the same coach. But Brabel's basically starting over, except for Drake May could be a great young quarterback. But that roster you talk about being churned, that is embarrassing. Well, you know, they started going down draft wise when Casario came here. That was in twenty twenty one. If you go back and look at their draft, they were not good. I always was told there. Nick would tell Belichick, Okay, I think we should do this this, and Belichick would do whatever he wanted. Sometimes he agreed with Nick, sometimes he didn't. But that was a significant loss for that franchise when the Texans stole Nick Cassario from them.
Speaker 1: General, let's continue talking about things going on around the league and go to the Horseshoe, because Daniel Jones is the starting quarterback, Chris Ballard said, and do we believe him about this? He reminds me of Alex Smith in Kansas City.
Speaker 3: Thoughts, No, you said the Horseshoe. I thought you were talking about Columbus in the second biggest game of the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk about that Baylor. Sure.
Speaker 3: I think Chris Ballard has to say that. He could be out of a job, you know, and Jim Mersey's oldest daughter is heavily involved and has been heavily involved. You know, the odds are they could be starting over after this season. They need Daniel Jones to bail the mouth, or they need Anthony Richardson when he gets a chance to play the way they hoped he would when they drafted him. Right now, he's one of the biggest buss in history. And I think they wouldn't surprise me at all if they don't have We're not talking about the new coach regime next year with a new GM and a new head coach and a rookie quarterback drafted.
Speaker 1: High general before I get to college football. Taylor Swift is no way the greatest female pop vocalist ever. But who is in your opinion the greatest female pop vocalist, not writer pop vocalist ever.
Speaker 3: Well, she's the most popular and her popularity is worldwide. But I think when it comes to singing, Diana Ross and Lady Gaga, off the top of my head, both of them were outstanding. They can hit any notes, sing any kind of music. Diana Ross was in a class by herself. Whitney Houston, even though she had all of her drug issues and everything, she was incredible when she was healthy and at the top of her game, so to speak. But those would be three great ones. There are many others, but as far as entertainers, you can't beat Taylor Sweat and her popularity very popular. How much of a prenap do you think he has to sign?
Speaker 5: Oh boy, God, that's gonna be large.
Speaker 4: General, how excited are you for a Baylor Bear football this year?
Speaker 5: And b Baylor v.
Speaker 4: Auburn which is one of the better openers of the college football season.
Speaker 3: And so I haven't been this excited about a Baylor game a long time. Last year I thought David Randa was on his way out. They started that way. They won their last six and average forty point three parts game And sorry, Robertson became one of the best quarterbacks in college football. I'm pumped about that one. I'm pumped about the Longhorns. All my friends hate the Longhorns, want them to lose. I want them to win now that they're not in the Big twelve. I want to see him win. I want to see the Ages win. I want to see all our schools win. The Baylor started one in one. I'd rather beat Auburn on TV and then lose at SMU, then lose to Auburn and beat SMU. But if they start over too, Baylor people are going to be crushed.
Speaker 2: All right, General, great stuff.
Speaker 1: As always great to visit with you, and we will check in next week prior to the Texans taking on the Rams in the twenty twenty five season opener.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Mark and John, Thank you guys very much. As always, is the best time of.
Speaker 1: The year, the best time of the year, and it's the best segment when we get to other than the general segment, when we get to more likely to happen, and we'll talk to Texans receivers, running backs, we'll talk AFC South opponents, all of it coming up here on Texans Radio. Here we are on the hun Day Texans Radio studio. Mark Vandermaer and John Harris with you. As it'll be all quiet this weekend in the building.
Speaker 2: No, it won't.
Speaker 1: The weekend is playing at NRG Stadium, But as far as the football facilities, yes, it'll be a weekend off of the players before they get back to it on Monday for practice. That'll be a full workday for them getting into game week one. They'll face the Rams September seventh in La And very important to note, we were gonna have a show look at regular Tuesday kind of players show to start off the season. We changed our minds. We're gonna go to the team Shop Tuesday at six. So Tuesday, September second, six o'clock, Jonathan Joseph will be with us, and we've got specials. We got ticket giveaways. The team Store stays open late, usually closes at six. It'll be open until at least seven, and we'll be hobnobbing with the peeps, giving away stuff, having a great time Tuesday six, right here at NRG Stadium Team Shop be here.
Speaker 2: Aloha. All right, let's get to this, Johnny.
Speaker 1: It's a segment that we don't do all the time, but when we do it, it's huge.
Speaker 2: It's more likely to happen. You ready, let's go all right, here we go.
Speaker 5: I'm likely to happen.
Speaker 1: I promised i'd ask you this, So let's do it. And we've done versions of this. But now that we know our initial fifty three and practice squad, let's get into it. Who's going to be the third leading receiver on this team? Now, if you have somebody else in the top two other than Nico Collins and Christian Kirk, let me know.
Speaker 2: But who's third? What do you think?
Speaker 4: I think that in touchdowns it will be Jaydan Higgins. I think in yards it will be Jayden Higgins. I think in catches it's going to be.
Speaker 5: Jalen Knowle. Let's go that way.
Speaker 4: I think that I think Jayane Higgins is going to create some big, big plays for this team. And I don't know that he'll catch sixty passes, but I do think the thirty five to forty he catches, and I hope it's more, but I think he's gonna average sixteen seventeen yards a catch. You're talking about, say it's forty catches, six hundred and eighty yards and I think he's gonna create a number of big play touchdowns. So I do think Nico's gonna be let's say Nico's healthy.
Speaker 5: I think it's up near one hundred, if not over.
Speaker 4: I think Christian Kirk is gonna be seventy five to eighty. I don't think the yards per average is gonna be high, but it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be a bunch of first downs and replace kind of what Robert Woods gave you as kind of a third down go to guy. And then I think Jaydon Higgins ends up being the next guy. And I do think that Dalton Schultz probably fits in between there. But I think Dalton's gonna kind of be similar to Christian. It's gonna be probably a higher reception rate, lower yardage, maybe lower in touchdowns. But I think Jayden's gonna have the sixty five yard bomb. I think he's gonna have the fifty yard catch. I think he's gonna end up making some of those plays, and a number of them that come off of takeaways. Last year we'd have a takeaway. It's like, all right, Dre talks about this all the time. What do you want to do? Go deep right after a takeaway. We didn't go deep a lot. Last year. We would run outside zone, and the way we go I think this year there's gonna be, hey, we gotta turn over.
Speaker 5: We got the ball on midfield. Let's take a shot here.
Speaker 4: Let's take Jayane Higgins and send him on the post route and see if we can't get him open. As they all focus on Nico Collins, I think that's where Jayden comes in. But I do think they're gonna find ways to get the ball to Jalen Knowle, whether it's quick screens, push passes. Remember if Jaye Nole goes in motion and CJ takes the ball, just pushes it forward just a little bit, that's a reception for Nol. He could have won every game that way. That's seventeen catches right there. So I think that Jade Nole produced in that way. But I think Higgins is gonna be the one with yards and touchdowns to come in third.
Speaker 2: Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 1: I understand it's a little confusing, but I understand because yeah, yards, you have touchdowns, you have receptions, you have all of it. Okay, next one. As we continue on this segment.
Speaker 2: More likely to happen more likely to be the team's second leading rusher.
Speaker 1: Now Joe Mixon unable to participate in this question even if he comes back. So, if Mixing comes back week five, for instance, and your guy is bumped a third, because Mixing's gonna get a lion's share of the carriers, or at least enough of them to bump your guy out of second, it sucks to be You give me the second leading rusher on this team not named Joe Mixon if he comes back week five or early enough to affect these statistical standings, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Joe Quavius Woody marks, Oh, okay, here we go. Yeah, you know it's funny. You know me, I don't like to be a hot take guy. I I'm not hot take guy, but I get kind of stuck in my convictions at and there have been times throughout this training camp I'm watching, I'm like, man, you should have gone with it before training camp. And that was that Woody Marx was gonna be the second leading rusher on this team, maybe even the first. That guys dinged up. Not sure when they're coming back, not sure the longevity of you know, how much is Nick got left in the tank. Now Nick is shown to have a lot more left in the tank than maybe any of us thought. So that was good, But I kind of started playing that game of well, we don't know what Damien's coming back, eh, we don't know about Joe, So okay, what happens if Nick gets a little dinged up?
Speaker 5: Who do you go to next?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm pretty I'm pretty convinced that you would go to next, Woody Marx. I think Woody is gonna end up being that number two guy because I think he's gonna end up getting a lot of touches. Now, I do think that Woody if if the question were second in all purpose yards, I would absolutely, without a question.
Speaker 5: Say Woody the second back.
Speaker 4: Now as it sits and Damian's a little bit healthier, it makes me lean Damien. But I'm gonna stick with Woody on this because I think that Woody is I think this offense is gonna be made for Woody. I think they're gonna have some zone elements in it. He's very good at that. I think he's gonna have some power game and some gap power stuff. I think he's gonna be good for that. I think he's gonna be great in receiving game, so I'm confident absolutely that he'll have be second all purpose yards. But I'm I'm at a point now where I feel like he's gonna be second.
Speaker 5: In rushing yards too, And it would be awesome if.
Speaker 4: He ends up being that guy, because it makes the future of that position that much more interesting. And you know me, I look ahead, and I'm always looking ahead because I'm always looking at the draft. I don't know if there are a ton of guys in this draft where I'm like, yeah, I'd like to see that guy here over the guys we have. I like the guys that we have. Last year, I looked at the running backs and went, there are a lot of that I liked, and Woody Marks was, you know, near the top of the guys that I like. I don't know that I look at the running backs this year and go, yeah, yeah, I gotta have one.
Speaker 5: Of these guys.
Speaker 4: I like a few, but I love the guys like I did last year, and we ended up getting one of those guys that I loved. So I want to ride that Woody Marks train for as long as possible, and hopefully when he scores his first touchdown, You will say, Joe Quavius Woody Marx has just scored his first touchdown in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're putting me up to that, Okay, man, I will take it under consideration. Let's see how this plays out. Yes, absolutely, all right. Let's get to the next one here and go around the AFC South a little bit more likely to have more yards. Daniel Jones with the Colts or cam Ward with the Titans. Who's gonna throw for more yards this year? Daniel Jones aka the new Alex Smith, according to Chris Ballard, or cam Ward the number one overall picking the draft playing for the Titans, who sparked Mike Lombardi to say that the Titans would win the AFCAST South. And I don't know what they're smoking in North Carolina, but it must be really good.
Speaker 2: But maybe he's right. Who knows. I mean, stranger things have happened. The Texans went from worse to first.
Speaker 4: I think this one is pretty simple. I think it's gonna be cam Ward. I think you're a couple of things.
Speaker 5: Number one.
Speaker 4: I think the Colts are going to during games, they're going to ride Jonathan Taylor and their run game for as long as they possibly can until they have to if they get behind, have to throw. But they're even if they're down in the second half within one score, they're gonna stick to the running game. I think in Tennessee it is gonna be they get behind early, they've got to throw a bunch late, and that to me ends up getting a lot of I don't say hollow yards for cam Ward, but I do think there're gonna be some games where you look up and go, hey man, cam Ward through for four hundred.
Speaker 5: And seventy five. Yeah, they got beat thirty eight to ten.
Speaker 4: So I think you're gonna get a number of those kind of games, and I think cam Ward's gonna rack up a bunch of yards, kind of like Cam Newton did with the Panthers at twenty eleven. Is not a very good team, but I remember Cam threw four hundred the first two games of the year because they got behind against both the Cardinals and the Packers, and to get back in it.
Speaker 5: Cam had to throw.
Speaker 4: And what we ended up finding out later is that wasn't the way the Panthers wanted to play, but that was the way they had to play in twenty eleven, I think that the Titans will have to do the same with cam Ward and that will put him in the thirty eight hundred, four thousand yard category because they're trying to come back from behind in games as oppose the Colts staying close and then staying close. They'll continue to run Jonathan Taylor and get that run game going.
Speaker 1: I'm old enough to remember ten years ago when Blake Bortles threw for nearly forty five hundred yards, thirty five touchdowns, eighteen interceptions. It's the eighteen interceptions that'll get you every time. That's the problem there. I mean, those other numbers are big, but those were carbohydrates. I mean that was that was not exactly a successful season, now was it?
Speaker 2: The next year? Yeah, the next year they'd make.
Speaker 1: It to the AFC Championship Game, and yeah, twenty seventeen because they were loaded up with those free agents, and you know, they took their revenge out on the Texans. They had that great opening day win here following Hurricane Harvey, and they had that demolish of the Houston Texans later on in the season. And you got to give one of those to the Jags every once in a while, just to keep them happy, but I don't want to do that this year.
Speaker 2: That's when the Texans are having a down year.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Jags, have your little win, and then we'll go on with the streak that never dies. The overall, it's not really the streak that never dies, but it's it's a run that never dies. Against the Jacksonville Jaguars, the team you first beat on the road in the history of the franchise in two thousand and two set the tone for this series moving forward forever and ever.
Speaker 2: That's how I feel for I love it.
Speaker 4: And I hope it stays the matter where we play them in Wembley or we play them in dow A exactly.
Speaker 1: And you say it right as opposed to the head coach duringory press conference, we're that's more likely to happen. Now, stay with me on this more likely to be a tougher quarterback to deal with right now? Matthew Stafford or Baker Mayfield. Who's tougher to deal with right now for this defense Matthew Stafford with the bad back I'm hurting, or Baker Mayfield I'm gonna light it up. I don't know if he's gonna light it up or not. I'm just painting a picture here. What do you think, Well, the two.
Speaker 4: Things that impact you I think in week one are incorporating or learning a new offense and an injury coming in. Well, one has one and one has the other. I'd lean more towards Baker Mayfield because Mayfield is healthy, and I think a lot of what they'll do they've already did under Liam Cohen. They'll just continue it there in Tampa, I think, and just kind of keep that machine rolling. So I think it's new and a new offensive coordinator, but I think I thinks they're gonna be similar enough to is gonna be really really tough to deal with. Kate Odden's hurt. You send me that text. I woke up to that on Thursday morning, Like, Yo, Kate odten Man. I hope he doesn't play. They already could be without Tristan Wurfs. That's a big loss. If they're without Kate Odden. Well, that helps out because I think Baker is coming in firing forty one and fifteen last year. I think Baker's gonna be tougher that back. For Matt Stafford, I mean, he might live in his little cryo chamber or whatever he's got. But man, if he gets hit a couple times by these animals rushing him, oooh, buddy, that is going to be tough. Now he's got his offense, he knows it backwards and forwards. But they got to incorporate Devonte Adams into it. They got to deal with life without Cooper cup That I think is gonna be tough. So I think with all the weapons that Tampa Bay has, the offense sting relatively similar, and Baker being healthy, I think Mayfield is a tougher nut to crack, if you will.
Speaker 5: In the first two weeks of the year.
Speaker 2: I got another one for you. This is a college sorry, sorry, dear college.
Speaker 1: Football one more likely to happen, more likely to be the number one pick in the draft in twenty twenty six. I'm gonna give you a choice here, Arch Manning slash Garrett Nussmeyer or the field. You pick one of those two qbs or the field for the number one pick in the draft twenty twenty six, Johnny the field.
Speaker 5: First of all, I'm not totally sure arch will come out now.
Speaker 4: He's kind of refuted what Archie, his grandfather said about coming out. But I feel like Arch has a lot to prove, and I don't know if he'll prove at all, even though he'd been the number one pick. And there's also that Manning family trait of We're gonna hang on as long as we possibly can to see who's gonna end up with a number one pick, and then we'll decide. Nuss Meyer is too yolo for me. I said that to somebody who asked me the other day in the office.
Speaker 5: Yolo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you only live once. He is firing, he's ready fire aim like. He shoots it a lot of different places now. He is gutsy, he is tough, he has been well coached. He's a coach's son. I like him down to stretch of games. But there's just a little bit too much yolo in his game. My QB one going into this year, write this name down South Carolina quarterback with North Sellers.
Speaker 5: My cop for.
Speaker 4: Him is Andrew luck Oh on many levels, Oh, North Sellers, South Carolina, that's my guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's your guy. So you went with another quarterback. How about Arch making six point eight million dollars this year?
Speaker 5: How about that? How about that? What a six point eight million?
Speaker 4: That's what second round picks make, right now, that's what second.
Speaker 5: Round picks are making.
Speaker 2: It's just crazy stuff. Oh my god, that.
Speaker 5: Mean, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Mark He's he started twice in his career. This game on Saturday with Ohio State. Julian Saying is the new quarterback of Ohio State. Zero career starts. Arch has two and these are teams one and three in the country. Now there is some serious talent, serious talent. I got my keys of the game up at football taker dot com and I'm gonna have a draft article coming up.
Speaker 5: Later this weekend as well. Before you get to that game.
Speaker 4: With all the draft talent you need to be watching in Texas out of state, they are loaded with dudes.
Speaker 1: Loaded indeed. And that'll be Saturday at eleven o'clock. That's an eleven am game Texas at Ohio State. Can't wait for that, can't wait for the Hurricanes taking on the fighting Irish Sean pendergast so Alma Mater, Catholics and convicts revisited.
Speaker 2: Really did I go there? I did?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 1: What who cares? We're having fun. Let's do the final segment next. Johnny Away in on one of the McClean, topics, and everything else we could squeeze in before the close of business tonight here on Texans All Access. Hello Texans, Welcome to the show. It's a big one tonight. Mark Vandermare and John Harris with you. We have plenty to talk about. It's been roster overhaul week, well not really overhaul, but get it down to fifty three, get the practice squad set up, that kind of week in advance of the Texans and Rams September seventh, huge weekend in college football coming up. We'll get to all of it, and we'll start off the show with the general. Oh Football Hall of Famer John McLean. All right, General, we haven't had a chance to talk since the roster was constructed. Your thoughts on the initial fifty three, the practice squad, some of the developments.
Speaker 2: What are you thinking?
Speaker 3: Well, of course, we know that's an ongoing process, as net Tosario pointed out at his news conference on Wednesday, and I thought Graham Mertz as a third quarterback was unusual. He played really well in that last game. Obviously they were worried somebody might claim him keeping two tight ends. And remember and the listeners got to remember that they can elevate practice squad guys like Harris and Brian. He can may be added to the roster, Miles Brian, He's going to be added to the roster because they only have what two slot. They don't even have a backup Miles Brian backup slight corner right now. So things will change on game day, and boy, game day can't get it quick enough because we're all so fired up about the season.
Speaker 4: We are definitely fired up about the season. I think quarterback one was a little surprising in fact today, earlier today it was noted Keaton Slovas is going to sign with the Arizona Cardinals practice.
Speaker 5: Squad, So good for him.
Speaker 4: He returns back home where he was a high school star there in the state of Arizona. But general's talk about those two tight ends for a little bit. Dalton Schultz cased over and that's it now. They brought Harrison Bryant back on the practice squad. Would imagine he would be one of the elevations. But your level surprise in the sense that they only kept two tight ends at this point catched over adult Schultz.
Speaker 3: Well, considering they traded for Briant, he's on the practice squad. It'll be a moot point on game day, but they need Dalton shows play the way did two years go. And Cage Sedover loves to knock people on their butt. And since most players make their biggest and movement between the first and second season, I expect a lot of improvement from him as a receiver. He's learning Nick Cayley's offense just like everybody else for the first time. And uh, I think that I love watching Stover block and that he may never have a better block. And what was it in the practice in the UH joint practice against Carolina which.
Speaker 5: Patsy blind Man, it was Derek Brown.
Speaker 3: Dereck Brown knocked him on his tail. I'll guarantee you Brown got a lot of grief from his teammates when they watch tape of that. But I think tight ends not a worrisome position. The biggest worry, of course, is running back. I like the fact they kept British Brooks. I love to see what he can do in short yardage situations. Can't wait to see. I love the fact that Nick Chubb is healthy. How that translates on the field, we don't know. But he averaged five yards of Carrie Damian Pierce. If he stays healthy last year of his contract, this is a great opportunity for him, and I can't wait to see what he marks, see what Woody Marx can do as a rookie, not just as a runner, but as a receiver and dargue. But Wally's one of their most versatile players and good special teams player. So they got a lot of options at running back, but it's still going to be a questionable, questionable position until they prove they can produce at a level close to the way Joe Mixon produced last season.
Speaker 1: General I'm going to ask John Harris this question in the next segment. So Johnny knows spilling the candy in the lobby right here. But John, you tell me, John McClain, who the third leading receiver on this team is going to be. It's gonna be Nico Collins, Christian Kirk one two. But what do you think about the third leading receiver who you got.
Speaker 3: Considered Jalen Knowles coming off the bench. You'd say Jay Niggins would be because he's the starter. But Noel Man, when I looked at what the draft experts, I expect the pick that they were most impressed with was not Jay Niggins in the second round, that Jalen Nole in the third round, and they thought that was a steal by the Texans. So I'm gonna say of the whiteouts because I think there's good chance Dalton Schultz could be number three, But I'm going to say that that Noel at the end of the year will end up being the third third in catches. You old Christian Kirk can stay healthy and be right there behind Nico. You hope Jay Niggins steps up and against the ball a lot, but I think we all are really eager to see Noel Noel when he gets the ball, because he's so elusive and quick, and he was great in college.
Speaker 5: General.
Speaker 4: Along those lines are the receivers. There are seven of them on the fifty three man roster. Were you surprised they kept seven? A few days ago, I said, man, after John Metchu's trade, I thought I could see five, make jaln Nola punt returner, make Justin Watson expendable. There you got five, and then you can pick up at other positions, namely maybe an extra tight end, et cetera.
Speaker 5: But they went with seven. They did it last year too.
Speaker 4: Now, Steven Simms only lasted a certain amount of time with the team, but they went with seven for the first six or seven weeks. Your thoughts about keeping seven wide receivers.
Speaker 3: I was surprised. I thought it would be six. But last season's a great example of Wayne needs seven. Nico missed five games, what digs miss eight? How many did Tank Dell end up missing five? So your top three receivers missed significant time. You better have guys ready to go another system. They've got Jared Wayne. Do they have another receiver on the practice squad?
Speaker 4: But when you signed they assigned Josh Kelly out of Texas Tech.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, Jared Wayne knows the system, so he can be elevated if somebody gets hurt. But you've got to have multiple receivers. It'd be a great problem to have if nobody ever got hurt and they didn't need any of those backups. If Nicocillin stays healthy and plays a full season for the first time, I'll bet you has one hundred catches for over fifteen hundred yards and fifteen touchdowns.
Speaker 2: General, I want you to think about this one.
Speaker 1: Is this the most loaded the Texans have been going into a season ever? Or is it second place to twenty twelve team. Now, I'm not talking about how they ultimately ended up that particular campaign or any particular campaign. I'm talking about how you felt about the team's talent heading into the campaign at this very moment, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Where does this rank for you?
Speaker 3: This team has more depth on defense, and I wasn't surprised they kept so many defensive linemen. Those guys earned it, and I'm glad they didn't let somebody get away trade him. I thought Nick Cassio would trade alignment, maybe a tackle for a sixth round pick, and they get hurt, and then you know the Nico Audrey has been seems like suspended most of the time he's been here, or on a list like he is now when he comes back, he's still a dangerous player at his age. They it's a good problem to have now. Offensively, twenty twelve they didn't have. They had a better offensive line, you know, they don't. As much as we think about Nico Collins, he wasn't Andre Johnason, and so I think defensively this team has more. Offensively, that team had more because they had a great running back, one of the best in the league, and so I would say is offensive twelve, defense twenty five general?
Speaker 4: What's your general sense of the running back room right now?
Speaker 5: We don't know about Joe Mixon.
Speaker 4: Obviously that's been uh he's going to be out four weeks and that's been a little bit of a point of contention in the media lately. But your thoughts about what they have with Nick Chubb, with Daria goomblewal A, with what he marks with Damian Pearson and keeping British Brooks. What's your level of confidence in that running back group? How do you feel about that running back group?
Speaker 3: Well before Chubb had his knee injury and then broke his foot last year, and he's one hundred percent, you know, he's one of the best backs in the NFL. But he and he and people say he's got a lot of mileage. No, he doesn't. He's been rehabbing a lot. Joe Mexon has a lot of mileage, is stacking and carries in the NFL over I can't remember him the last five years to Derrick Henry and uh, you know, there's no guarantee Joe Mixon's going to be ready after four games, and we don't even know what Nicker Serio's asked if he played this season, he said, we'll see. We'll take it one day at a time. So right now you have to really forget about Joe Mixon and I think if Chubb this is really going to be a running back by committee. Can't see Nick Chubb coming out and filling the role that makes in the held last year when Casario stolen from the Bengals, and Jo's an underrated receiver. Besides being a really good runner, he's been a double digit touchdown guy. Cincinnati got rid of him when he scored double digit touchdowns, so it's going to be hard to replace him. And it would really help if Damian Piers could stay healthy and capitalize on this system and come in and back up, do a good job as a backup to Chubb, and then have maybe Woody Marx, if not dry Gwali as the third down receiver.
Speaker 1: All right, General, I don't want to open up a can of injury here, but let's do a little bit of that. Because you've been covering this game for a little while, So what are your thoughts on teams and how they handle injuries overall? Because this league, once you get into the regular season, you do have an injury report every week and you've got guys put on IR, and very often you see what the injury is.
Speaker 2: I think you always see what the injury is when they go on IR. I believe I might be wrong about that. But what are your.
Speaker 1: Thoughts on off season, preseason, that kind of thing and what went down this week with Themiko Ryans and Nick Assario with the media.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, the media's job is to ask about players who are not there, and when it's one of your best players who you're being counted on so much, you have to ask. You know, they don't have to answer, but you have to ask, and your bosses tell you to ask. You know, if Nick Casario and Amiko Ryans are told to do something about kel McNair, they're going to do it. You know, you're asking for the fans that pay the freight, You're asking for the listeners people want to know. People are constantly talking, well, what's up with Joe Mixon? And in almost every case that I know of, teams are reactive instead of proactive. You could come out and say, well, Joe was working out in Florida and he re injured his foot and he's undergoing rehab, and we'll talk to it next time, right before he's eligible to come off, not football injury less, and then the story. That's it. But most teams are reactive. And I remember one time O'Brien told me I'm looking for any little morsel we can find about our opponent because every little morsel can help us win. And I said, well, you need more morsels, and Bill I thought about that at the time. I asked him, one time, have you ever seen a media person win or lose a game? Have you ever seen a media person affect the game? Including those of us who watched practice, talk to assistant coaches and wrote what the team has said about an honest injury, not a nagging one where a guy could be there next week or the next week, but if it was a legitimate one keeping him around a long time. I said, do you ever hear about a coach, I mean, a media person affecting a game? Well, of course, he said no. One time. I'll tell y'all this, Brown's made the playoffs for the only time under Bill Belichick, and he decided the media couldn't watch practice. Well, now, nobody. I don't think it's to watch practice sep in training camp, you had to go out stretching. And so that was a big deal in the NFL that this Bell Belichick, who was not popular, telling the media all of a sudden, you can't watch practice. Jack Pardee was the head coach of the Oilers and they were in the playoffs, and I said, if you thought about doing what that Belichick guy is doing in Cleveland, Jack said, I've played fifteen years, and I've coached the Redskins, and I've coached the Bears, and I've coached the Oilers, and I've never seen one time a person in the media have any kind of effect on any game. And if I ever do, I'll close practice too.
Speaker 4: General was footing around the interwebs and social media, and I went to the NFL Game Day account and they NFL dot Com made some award predictions. If this were to come true, tell me what do you think that says about both the player and the defense and the team of the Texans If this comes true. Their prediction for Defensive Player of the Year is one Will Anderson Junior. If he is Defensive Player of the Year, what do you think it says about what this team could do in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: It means the Texans had a great defense. And remember these awards were only being done for regular season, but you know who's going on in the playoffs. It means he would add fifteen to twenty sacks, and it means the Texans would have won the division and be a team to be reckoned with, especially the defense led by Will Anderson Junior, a serious candidate for NFL Defensive Player.
Speaker 2: Of the Year general.
Speaker 1: I'm in the oppressed minority of people who missed the fourth preseason game, but I suppose I like the seventeenth game. I like more games to count, but I still miss this one Thursday night before Labor Day.
Speaker 2: I kind of enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: With the reserves playing the rookie, that kind of thing. Are you ready to give it up now that when they go to eighteen games, and it's pretty much when and not if, that they will play on Labor Day weekend eventually, and they used to play on Labor Day weekend. I know that you think they're dead set against it, but if they go to eighteen. When they go to eighteen, they'll probably have two buys. They're just going to run out of calendar at some point, don't you think they'll play on Labor Day.
Speaker 3: No, there's no need to play on Labor Day because you can move the super Bowl whenever you want. Every seat gets super Bowl has to keep all the rooms and everything available for February, so you can move it back. Eighteen games to two games off when they got out of Labor Day is because TV ratings always started poorly. Now maybe the NFL so big right now it wouldn't matter. But I think they like the build up, the hype for the extra week. Players like having off. Will have two games, starters will play a little bit in one game and the others will not. They may have another practice, a couple of teams at three joint practices. So I don't see them playing on Labor Day because if they did and the TV ratings were down from last year, that's all they care about, and there's no need that you couldn't move the Super Bowl back another week.
Speaker 5: I'd like to seem started Labor Day, but that's okay.
Speaker 4: I like the fact that Labor Day will be saved for college I know there's a decent number of games that are taking place tonight. Nebraska Cincinnati at Arrowhead is definitely one of them. But it's a longer Thursday Friday slate then you would normally expect. You know, you don't have a ton of great games, but you know you've got decent ones in that Nebraska Cincinnati game is going to be a decent one.
Speaker 5: So I mean, I'm okay with that. General.
Speaker 4: Mike Tannebaum was on First Take City across from Oh, you know where I'm going.
Speaker 3: With smoking okay taking.
Speaker 4: If you haven't heard Mike Tannenbaum when asked who was going to win the AFC South, he said, with convey and then try to argue it.
Speaker 5: The Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 4: Now you may not want or may see the Texans winning the division. That's fine, but his logic was so fast Awkwards it was unbelievable. Your thoughts about Tannebaum saying something dumb again and it being the Titans winning the division.
Speaker 3: It's the first time I've agreed with Steven A. Smith on anything, because the way he looked at Tannebaum and just tore him apart, And there's no way you can justify something like that. Now, if it happens, he'll look like one of the all time geniuses. And if it doesn't, he'll look like a former GM can get a job in football. Again. I thought that was of all people are always looking for something different, but that one was so out of left field. It wasn't in the ballpark, and I thought Mike looked like such a dumb ass.
Speaker 1: How are they feeling about that defense? Because total yards they look pretty good last year, but they were getting the ball of the drive. Starts were ridiculously good for the opponents. And we're not talking about a scoring defense. We're talking about yardage surrendered. That offense was top two in giveaways, so your defense is at the thirty and even if they score, you only gave up thirty yards, but they scored. I thought those stats were really massed the total yardage defense. What do they think coming into twenty twenty five? How are they feeling in general general in Nashville about this team.
Speaker 3: They will never say this publicly, but they would love to double their win total and go from three to six. And cam Ward show a lot of promise as a quarterback who can get better. Gods are he's not gonna play seventeen games. He'll get hurt or he'll go through a bad stretch and get managed because he doesn't have a lot of talent around him. They're backup running back Kayse Spears is out for at least four games, and they got Pollard. Their wide receivers are not very goods. Back to their offensive line to be good the last two years and it hasn't been. And yes, their defense is good, but man, they're gonna be involved in a lot of love scoring games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're gonna be. It's gonna be tough for them to do much.
Speaker 4: I think offensively, I think, if you're right, General, if they can get the five or six wins, I think they're gonna be feel good about it. What I find interesting with them is what happens to Brian Callahan. If they win five or six, they're showing enough that they keep him around, et cetera. Because they've changed GMS. General, the New England Patriots have one player from a nine player draft.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: The GM or whoever pick those players is still the guy picking those players, but it's a new head coach. What do you think this means with Elliott Wolf and Mike Vrabel there in New England is as simple as Vrabel is just gonna work his magic until he has that personal department the way he wants or do you think Vrabel and Wolf will eventually kind of work together the way they want to and have a relationship called Nick and Imiko Iven Houston.
Speaker 3: I think that Mike Grabel wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't have final sale on personnel and might not say it in his contract. But Elliot will's going to draft who he wants. And the previous regime, you know, they were bad all around, and so some of those guys might have stayed if they had kept the same coach. But Brabel's basically starting over except for Drake May could be a great young quarterback. But that roster you talk about being churned, that is embarrassing. You know, they started going down draft wise when Cassio came here. That was in twenty twenty one. If you go back and look at their draft, they were not good. I always was told there. Nick would tell Belichick, Okay, I think we should do this this, and Belichick would do whatever he wanted. Sometimes he agreed with Nick, sometimes he didn't. But that was a significant loss for that franchise. When the Texans stole Nick Cassario from.
Speaker 1: Them, general, let's continue talking about things going on around the league and go to the Horseshoe because Daniel Jones is the starting quarterback, Chris Ballard said, and do we believe him about this? He reminds me of Alex Smith in Kansas City.
Speaker 3: Thoughts, No, you said the Horseshoe. I thought you were talking about Columbus in the second biggest game of the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk about that Baylor. Sure.
Speaker 3: I think Chris Ballard has to say that he could be out of a job. You know, new owner and Jim Mersey's oldest daughter is heavily involved and has been heavily involved. You know, the odds are they could be starting over at this season. They need Daniel Jones to bail the mouth, or they need Anthony Richardson when he gets a chance to play the way they hoped he would when they drafted him. Right now, he's one of the biggest buss in history, and I think that would surprise me at all if they don't have We're not talking about the new coach regime next year with a new GA and a new head coach and a rookie quarterback drafted.
Speaker 4: High Okay, General, I saw this earlier today and I just want to read you the first paragraph of this because it is so incredibly juicy. It might be the biggest story in the NFL, not even on the field. Written by Todd Archer, Adam Schefter, and Dan Graziano ESPN.
Speaker 5: Several teams have.
Speaker 4: Spoken to the Dallas Cowboys about a potential Micah Parsons trade, and for the first time, the Cowboys appear willing to at least listen, according to multiple sources, your thoughts about everything going on in Dallas with Michah Parsons, David Mulage, Jerry Jones, and the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: With all due respect, John, that's not the biggest story in the NFL. The biggest story in the NFL's Kansas City Travis Kelcey and Taylor swept Turners worldwide story. Now there's a low Cowboys story. You know, they'd be stupid not to listen to teams to call. But one of the problems is before you can make a trade, they got to sign you to a contract. Obviously, he wants a lot of money. He wants to be the highest paid non quarterback in the NFL, and if he can get it more power to him. I still don't think he's going to be traded. Jerry Jones does not lose players. He wants to keep over money and he's been able to do that throughout his history. But he has one contract issue after another, and I'm thinking people say, well, green Bay would give them two ones, Well, they could possibly be low to ones. I wouldn't trade with a team that's good that your number one picks are going to get every year are going to be low. I want to trade him to a bad team where you can get high picks.
Speaker 1: Interesting, well, before I get to college football. Taylor Swift is no way the greatest female pop vocalist ever. But who is, in your opinion, the greatest female pop vocalist, not writer, pop vocalist ever.
Speaker 3: Well, she's the most popular and her popularity is worldwide. But I think when it comes to singing, Diana Ross and Lady Gaga, off the top of my head, both of them were outstanding. They can hit any notes, sing any kind of music. Diana Ross was in a class by herself. Whitney Houston. Even though she had all of her drug issues and everything, she was incredible when she was healthy and at the top of her game, so to speak. But those would be three great ones. There are many others, but as far as entertainers, you can't beat Taylor Swift and her popularity very popular. How much of a pre nap do you think he has to sign?
Speaker 4: Oh, boy, that is gonna be large general, How excited are you for a Baylor Bear football this year?
Speaker 5: And b Baylor v.
Speaker 4: Auburn, which is one of the better openers of the college football season.
Speaker 3: And so I haven't been this excited about a Baylor game a long time. Last year, I thought David Randa was on his way out. They started that way. They won their last six and average forty point three parts a game, and Sawyer Robertson became one of the best quarterbacks in college football. I'm pumped about that one. I'm pumped about the Longhorns. All my friends hate the Longhorns, want them to lose. I want them to win now that they're not in the Big twelve. I want to see him win. I want to see the Hages win. I want to see all our schools win, and Baylor started one and one. I'd rather beat Auburn on on TV and then lose at SMU then lose to Auburn and beat SMU, but if they start over to Baylor, people are going to be.
Speaker 1: Rushed, all right, General, great stuff. As always great to visit with you, and we will check in next week prior to the Texans taking on the Rams in the twenty twenty five season openers.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Mark and John, Thank you guys very much. As always, is the best time of the
Speaker 1: Year, the best time of the year, and it's the best segment when we get to other than the general segment, when we get to more likely to happen, and we'll talk to Texans receivers, running backs, we'll talk AFC South opponents, all of it coming up here on Texans Radio.