Speaker 1: You spoke to Lakers manager, it's going to be like one of you know, an amazing barber trying to bring a hairline back, you know, to try to keep this team afloat, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Welcome into what's Vernon. I got Matt, I got Buggie.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 4: I'm at an undisclosed bunker location. Don't want to reveal too much here. I was at the Sports and He's last night presenting on behalf of Showtime.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of fun. It was fun to see our name up there in lights.
Speaker 4: A bunch of awards the network was nominated for, so congratulations to all of us.
Speaker 2: Really very nice. We got to talk about the Western Conference Finals.
Speaker 4: I want to get right into it because it was just so crazy how things ended a sweep which no one expected. Lebron played one of those first halfs where you think, oh my god, this is like the game of Boston all those years ago, where he's just going to insert his will. Thirty one points in the first half, Lakers at fifteen at halftime, but look, couldn't close. Had two chances to tie it at the end of the game. Couldn't do with Lebron obviously, just looking gas Nicola Jokic just a dominant performance again a record eighth triple level of these playoffs. And the real kicker, though, was afterward Lebron James saying, quote, he has a lot to think about this off season, and reports coming in from TNT ESPN right afterward that he is considering retirement. So, Matt, what is your reaction to all of that. Is it exhaustion in the moment, is it a leverage play or do you think that he's seriously considering that we have seen him played this last game.
Speaker 1: I think it could be a little bit of everything. And I think, you know, Boogie and I can speak to you know, being in the moment post game and just so many things running through your head and and you know, just kind of being open and vulnerable. I think Lebron realizes that he is getting older, and I think for the first time, you know, we got a chance to see that as as spectators and as fans of his, and it probably is a real consideration. But I highly doubt that we've seen the last of Lebron James this season. You know, although he said in this PREPSCOTF he doesn't play to make the conference Finals. He's been to plenty of those. He plays to win championships, and we totally get that in respect that, but when you put the season in perspective, this team started off two and ten with a thirteen seed at one point, and they made it to the Western Finals. And at the end of the day, Denver was just a better team played and simple. I mean, Bron's numbers were still amazing. Ads numbers in these Western Finals were amazing. They just didn't have enough. So, you know, I think we saw, you know, that amazing first half, and you know, my question at halftime was does he have enough in the tank to carry this team over the finish line? And I was telling my group here, I was like, if he doesn't get over forty, they're going to lose. And he got right to forty and they lost by two. And you saw it down the stretch range. You know, in the closing they had two opportunities. He dribbled the ball for a long time, then made a pass and nothing happened. And then he tried to get downhill. Great defense by Jamal Murray and Aaron Gordon to kind of deflect the shot. He just didn't have enough in the tank. To get them over the over the hump, and we're so accustomed to him having plenty of the tank and running through those guys and making some kind of heroic, amazing shot. So the one thing I will say is Lebron is always kind of conscious. He's writing his ending now, as have most the greats have done. And you know, for him to have a forty ten to nine in a closeout game, putting his team on his back was incredible. But to answer your original question, I don't see this being the end of Lebron, but he's definitely understanding his body and where he's at right now. And to keep it real, you can't gracefully age in sports anymore because there's too many critics. There's too much media, especially someone who's been amazing for twenty I mean, he's been amazing before he got the NBA, but someone's been made in so long. There's so many critics and haters. You can't gracefully age in this game. So I think a lot of things probably hit him at the moment when he was at the podium, that he was just being open and vulnerable. But I don't think we've seen the last of him in an NBA uniform.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. I don't see this being the end.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, he has those of you know, having an opportunity to play on the same team as the son, which is a realistic thing. That's something that is rarely seen in sports. Obviously, it'd be an iconic moment for the NBA, for his for his legend, for his family's legend. So those are real things that I think, you know, will eventually happen. So I agree with that. It's definitely coming from a place of you know, exhaustion and being tired. This might be the first year with Lebron really feels that his age is kicking in. He's not the youthful, youthful Lebron ever used to I mean, and I mean our expectations of him since he stepped in. It's just this machine that never stopped working, and you know those days are coming to an end of the the ending is near. But to say last night was the last game, I just don't see that at the end the case. I think we get a few more years of Lebron, but this is definitely the beginning of the end.
Speaker 2: This is just my opinion. It's not based on any conversation. I still have to say he's got a ninety nine percent chance of coming back.
Speaker 4: I mean, come on, he's wanted to play with Bronnie for like six or seven years out he's been talking about this. And how many guys have you seen. I mean, I have stood next to guys after they finished playoff runs, either victorious or not, who tell me they're retiring straight out, not I'm thinking about it, but just say I'm going to retire, this is it, and then we see them back in camp the next year. I feel like you've just got to be so wrung out and exhausted at the end of one of these and I'm sure he was embarrassed about the way that they went out, and you just sort of think about climbing up that hill again. You know, he was playing on a bad foot there. There's been talk about off season surgery. Do you guys think there's a chance that you can have off season surgery at any time? You can get specialist consultations and maybe have to surgery that keeps you out the first few months of the season. Now, do you see that as possibly something.
Speaker 2: That can happen.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it'll be surgery. But I just think for his case, the eighty two plus the playoffs is too much at this point, at twenty years and at thirty eight. And I want to read some numbers from this guy I met on Instagram was really dope his handle his numbers, stats and facts, and he did a breakdown at current superstars at the age of thirty eight and what they did in their respective things. So obviously, Lebron lost in the Western Finals. Average nearly twenty eight eight and seven on fifty shooting at the age of thirty eight. Kareem lost in the Western Conference finals. Averaged thirty four to six and three and a half assists on fifty six percent shooting. MJ didn't make the playoffs, but he averaged nearly twenty three point six rebounds and five assists. Keem Elijuan didn't make the playoffs. Average twelve and seven. Shaquille O'Neal lost in the Western Eastern Conference semi averaged nine point point five rebounds. Tim Duncan lost in the first round. Average fourteen to nine. Kobe's retired, Larry Bird's retired, Madgie Johnson's retired, So that just kind of puts some things in perspective of what he's doing at this level, with this many miles at this age, and as I mentioned in my first bit, you know, I could see Lebron playing another two years. But will the world allow him to only average eighteen to twenty points or will they shit on him the entire time? You know what I mean? Because, like DeMarcus says, this is the beginning of the end. With all due respect to his greatness, he just can't do it and carry franchises and organizations anymore. So can he gracefully kind of get a last couple of years in. I'm sure he's gonna want to, you know, obviously he's such a competitor. He's gonna want to play for a ring. But can the world allow him to kind of be a eighteen to twenty point a game night guy just to play with his son or is it just going to be a constant media frenzy of he's ruining his this and he's ruining that. Because I feel like Lebron can do no harm to his legacy at this point, he can only add to it. I think his legacy is cemented as wherever you want to put him a top three greatest players of all time. So I saw some bullshit floating around yesterday. Can this damage? Can of sweet damage? Is not at all. Lebron has cemented that he can only help his legacy from here. But my question is will the outside world allow him to kind of slowly but surely fade away.
Speaker 4: Well, Matt, don't you think that It's a little bit the way Kobe toward the end of his career there was criticism of him or what's he doing to the Lakers, but that had a lot to do with how the Lakers were doing right. The Lakers were not doing well in the standings at that point. Lebron James, if he has a partner in Anthony Davis who was able to lead the team instead of him, If Ad is able to take another step in his growth, and all Lebron has to do is be that content complimentary player, I think ray he takes less crap from the public if he's in that scenario.
Speaker 3: Maybe, I think so. Absolutely, I think actually, I think that's the best plan, or that should be the Lakers plan in general, finding a way to move a Lebron to the second option, move AD to the third, and find in the first option. I mean, you have guys like Kyrie Irving floating around. We know Dame isn't too happy in Portland. So I mean the whole Bradley Bill situation. So I believe it's it's options to keep this thing afloat. Obviously, the Lakers front office has to become, you know, really creative and making those things happen. But I mean to say it's the beginning of the end. I do believe that is the case. But it's still a lot of life left in this limit. So I say the Lakers squeeze in Lembit, find of, you know, a third start to fit in with Anthony Davis and Lebron and one that can lead the charge with those guys, and I think they're right back in contention for the next season. I mean, it sounds bad, but that's not I don't want to say Lebron is a third option, you know what I mean. So let's say one. Let's say A one B two B.
Speaker 1: So well, I think I think boogie. I mean, to your point, I think A D would have to be the two, when Bron would be the three that can pick and choose when he wants to be one. Not he has to consistently be one, and I think you know you you spoke to Lakers management, it's going to be like one of you know, an amazing barber trying to bring a hairline back, you know, to try to keep this team afloat, you know what I mean? I mean, I think you know, can this team find wiggle room to create cap space to get one of the stars you just mentioned they can? But then will they be a top heavy team like Phoenix was with absolutely no depth, and we know you know that doesn't that doesn't bode well against all around solid teams such as Denver. So, uh, you know that that's a huge question, you know what the offseason, who can come in and save because I feel like this team, with this core moving forward, needs one more star and like Boogie's had a star, they can lead, And the only way to do that is really to almost get rid of everyone. You know, I think you know the two guys that I would want to keep on the roster at everyone with all due respect or obviously Austin Reeves but his price tag might get too high, and then Hachi Mora, who both played really well. Everyone else I'd be willing to part ways with absolutely everyone else I'd be willing to part ways with. But you know, you look at Austin Reeves, he averaging only seventeen points in the playoffs, and he's on record earlier in the season saying he's going to follow the money and he someone's going to give him somewhere between sixteen and eighty million, and I doubt it will be. It won't be the Lakers, you know what I mean. So, how do you create space to get another star without being a completely top heavy team? Is going to be the Lakers off season mission because as much as we love Ad, he's shown that, either through injury or just inconsistent play, he just hasn't been a one yet. He has one talent, one talent through the roof on both ends of the floor, but he hasn't shown for entire season that he can y'all jump on my back, Because I think that's what Bron's been waiting for the entire time, is being able to jump on eighties back and being able to pick and choose his spots, and unfortunately that hasn't happen yet. So if that's the growth in the summer that they get, or if it's a way to manage this roster. Tip I possibly you have to get one star. To me, that's the only way this Laker team is gonna sniff the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Moving forward, well, Boogie, you mentioned Kyrie. He was court sided again last night. I mean, it's pretty amazing if you look at the number of games played though Kyrie, Anthony Davis, and Lebron in the last three seasons.
Speaker 2: None of them have topped sixty five games.
Speaker 4: So, in addition to having what would be a very top heavy team at as you say, it would be a team that might not even have those three stars all the time. Would you go after Kyrie or is there someone else there that you would go parder after.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously Kyrie is a top talent and you would be foolish not to go after him, But just knowing the history between him and Lebron and what they've done there together, I mean, like I said, it would just be foolish not to even consider that. Yeah, I think the perfect option would be a Damian Lily, but that would be just as difficult to make happen for the Lakers. And you know, the cap situation, the roster situation, But it has to be in my opinion, it has to be a guy of bad nature, one that can take over a game, one can lead the charge, like I said, beat that number one option consistently and uh and those two guys and Lebron and Adi can compliment in any way, shape or form, So not.
Speaker 1: To cut you off a do you also hear Trey Young's name thrown in the mix. I saw this morning that Trey Young's name, that the Lakers are are interested in him.
Speaker 2: Frey Young also courtside last night that.
Speaker 1: Be showing up to say, Hey, I want to be here. I mean the book you can tell you. I can tell you there's nothing in the world like being a Laker playing out. There's nothing in the world like being a Laker. So a lot of these guys want to get a taste to me, for I read in particular, what better way to say I'm really him to be able to come and and be that piece for the Lakers to help them get over the hump. And to me, everyone would say, fuck all the other stuff he did. Fuck with the trouble you caused in Cleveland, Fuck the trouble you caused in Boston, Fuck the train wreck you caused in Brooklyn. If you come to the Lakers and help this this core get over the hump. All that stuff is forgotten and he's back on top of the world where he should be. So again, are they going to be able to get a superstar without completely dismantling their depth and being a very top heavy like one of those guys in the gym that never lifts his legs and he's just all up here with it, you know what I mean? Are they gonna be one of those guys? Or you know, cans are a way to maneuver, So it's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 2: I love it. I mean this feels like, you know, there's like a hot girl.
Speaker 4: And all the boys in the neighborhood show up at her mom's house and be on the porch to see if she'll come out, Like I'm Trey Young, Kyrie, They're all they're all there on the porch.
Speaker 1: See. I wouldn't be warning Rachel. I wouldn't be warning about the hot girl. I'd be going around the back trying to holt the mom because if she's hot, her mom's probably hot.
Speaker 4: So I don't know if that becomes Darrenham and this analogy. So we're just gonna stop there.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about the Nuggets as well. We're talking a lot about the Lakers first, because they're done after today. We're not going to talk about them anymore, but talk about the Nuggets for the next few weeks.
Speaker 5: But we got to just give them props Denver, the way they showed out in this series, and Matt, you went into it saying you went into this whole mostseason saying you thought that the Nuggets and Nicola Jokich had a lot to prove.
Speaker 2: They had to show you. What did they show you? What did you learn about them in this conference box?
Speaker 1: So they're the best team in basketball, and I think that they've shown a lot of people that. And I think they've been probably the one most disrespectful teams in the game. And at times, not that I've disrespected I just like I said, I needed to see it. And I think they've been able to show the world not only that do they have two stars, but they have a great coach and Mike Malone, who I think was one of Boodie's favorite coaches, and then their role players. They have depth at role player from Bruce Brown to Porter Junior to Aaron Goodwin to Colwell Pope. Guys come in and play their role to a te So I gave them, you know, like, I didn't count them out. I just said I needed to see it. And they've shown me everything that and more. That Jokic is one of the best players in the world and will be one of the greatest players of all time. And then Jamal Murray is a motherfucking killer. And in the Western Conference that's loaded. The Western Conference is loaded with Steph dang Ja book. Where do you put Where do you put Jamal Murray in that mix? Because he's done it not only in the regular season now, but now he's doing it in the postseason and it has really helped lead his team. It's not like this is just a Yoki show. This is a Jamal Murray show too. He average over thirty points in in these conference finals. So where does Jamal Murray rank in the hierarchy of guards in the Western Conference? So h, this team is for real. This team has depth, this team has size, and I see them winning their first championship this year no matter who they play.
Speaker 3: I agree, you know, but I feel like I feel like the media has kind of disrespected this team a bit this year and I think it's more so from a standpoint as we have not seen it before. They've come out this entire playoffs and they've they've shut us all up. They've showed that they're the best team in the league right now. They have the best player in the league right now, nicolea Jokic, a great Robin or I mean, you can really say Batman and Batman but in Jamal Murray. But this this team has proved you know, their work, they prove that they're serious, and I mean, the way things are going right now, we may see this team dominate for a few years to come. So we got to see all the story in folds.
Speaker 1: My question too, to both you guys, when was the last time you've seen a pair be able to be greater the same time without stepping on each other's toes. These guys are both great in their lanes at the same time, which you always want from your superstar. And there's no griefe, there's no beef, there's no stepping on toes, there's no I want to stat I want to light, you want the light like these dudes are playing their best basketball together and it's a betterment for the team and It's rare because you can look back at great duels like Shaq and Kobe, and we know there was a rift there. We found out that the Scottie Pippen doesn't like Mike No. You know, there's there's those rifts between great duos, and these guys are vote playing their best basketball together and it's for the betterment of the team and there's no egos involved, which is special.
Speaker 3: I think that yeah, but I think that also compliments the MVP. I had the opportunity to be a team I see how the guy cares itself. His demeanor is he comes in, he does his job. He's not caught up in the you know, the spotlight, the fame, any of those things. He's super chilled. His favorite things to do with to go chill and on his farm with his horses. Like he's not a you know, a big time camera guy, none of those things. So when you have an MVP with those type of characteristics, I mean it's hard to ever have a grudge or any type of beef for the teammate. He's strictly about doing this job and winning games, and you know the rest of the rest of the team followed. So kudos to.
Speaker 4: Him, they've been together for a long time. I think that counts. I mean, we see these teams getting made and unmade and remade. We're already talking about whether the Lakers' next moves and Phoenix reshuffled their whole deck, and these two guys have been playing together and you see it and it's made a difference.
Speaker 2: And talk about Jamal Murray and where he is in the hierarchy. It's funny. I spent a lot of this week with the Nuggets and I was asking a lot.
Speaker 4: About Jamal and Michael Malone told the story of how the day after Jamal toured his acl and he's in tears. He's on the bus the next day and he knows he's going to have to have surgery, is going to be out for it turned out to be an entire season, and he Malone, he said, are you guys going to trade me? And he said, I know I'm damaged goods And Michael said he just looked at him and he said, you're ours.
Speaker 2: We got you.
Speaker 4: Don't worry about it. And I think that that security. I mean, you guys can speak on it, but that for a player to know that you are at your lowest point and acls are tricky, right, you don't know how you're going to come back, and to have the head of the team have that kind of confidence and just sort of lay down his guarantee to you, I think it matters.
Speaker 2: I think we see that when they're out on the court now.
Speaker 4: And look when you go back and you talk about the Lakers and you talk about Phoenix, you talk about Damon what he's going to do in Portland, you talk about all that.
Speaker 2: Talent in the West. Meant like, you got to know that Denver is going to be a dominant team in this in this half of the league for the next few years. So what are you building for that too?
Speaker 4: And that circles back to the Lebron retirement conversation again. I my opinion, just my opinion, Lebron is ninety nine percent coming back next season. But you have to think about the fact that this team that just flattened you for nothing, they are probably.
Speaker 2: Going to be around for a long time. Well, well, we'll talk putty about the West going forward.
Speaker 4: I do want to get to the East before we get too bogged down because heat Celtics Game four US tonight. I don't know when y'all are listening to this out there. But I cannot say enough about this Miami Heat team. Jimmy Butler, Eric Spolstra has just been phenomenal. And look, if the Heat win on Tuesday night, both conference finals will be a sweep. That would be the first time ever never happened in NBA history. But even if all of you people listening out there in the future, even if the Celtics extend this a few games, unless they can complete the first ever three to zero series deficit comeback, I think this is going to be seen as a huge failure in Boston, just the way this series unfolded and as we see here today Jalen Brown two of twenty from three in the series, Tatum five of twenty from three in the series. So, boogie, who is responsible for what has happened to Boston?
Speaker 3: I think this falls on management with you know, the whole Audopa Coachy Dopah fire and then just how everything was kind of handled in that situation. And itind of reminds me of the situation in Golden State when Steve Kerr missed a significant amount of time and they let you know, Luke Walton take over. You know, it kind of gives you this this false sense of hope, like you know, this is and not taking anything away from Luke or what he's done as a coach, but obviously the tier of coach of Steve Kurta Lucas is a drastic difference, and that's just from the proof of the pudding. But you know, he kind of went through the motions and it seemed like, you know, this coach is perfect for any system. He can just do it. And this is kind of what I'm seeing in Boston as well with coach Missoula. And you know, obviously he took over a team that with the championship aspirations and goals, and you know, it was only one expectation for this year coming up and that's them competing for a championship. So once again, it just falls to the tiers of coaching. And nothing to take away from Missoula because he's done an incredible job this season, but it just shows you the difference in Missoula and Udoka. So I think this falls on management for the Celtics and how they handled that entire situation.
Speaker 1: Obviously, I think players have to play better, But on the side of Mossoula has been out coached the entire playoffs, from not calling timeouts to untimely challenges, to unable to make in game adjustments that that that you crucially need come playoff time, and then again to how important E May was and how good I May was. And I read something this morning, how you know, when some of the Celtics players found out that uh he was hired in Houston, it kind of it didn't settle with them well, because they believed in him and and really liked him from from from what it looks like, and their inability to get that situation figured out hurt them, you know, because this is pretty much the same team with solid editions, solid editions uh that went to the finals last year and wholeheartedly felt and and and could have been the champions last year. So I just think, you know, I love a boogie's comparison to to Steve Kerr and Luke Walton. How you just feel like some teams are so good you could plug anyone in, but that's not the case. You know, some of these coaches have built up a rapport with the players that these guys love and respect and will run through a wall and Joe Mozzoula just hasn't had that kind of time and he's just not that type of coach. Yet. He'll get there. He's just not there yet. But he's been out coached the entire playoffs and it's really shining now along with guys not playing well. But when you're going up against someone like Spoe and I look at this Miami Heat team and it reminds me of not the personnel because people are gonna flip out, but they remind me of San Antonio from a standpoint of you know that they're not gonna beat themselves. They're gonna consistently play their style of basketball the entire time on offense and defense, and they won't beat theirselves. Boston has beat themselves and that's inconsistency and to me, that starts at the top with coaching. So, like you said, Rachel, whether Boston is able to slide a game or two, highly doubt that they're going to be able to come back from this deficit. And it really just it's a hats off because if we think about this on Miami lost their first playing game. It's crazy and now now they're looking to reach the finals. This is going to be one of the greatest stories I'll know. I don't know. I hate to be a fortune teller. I don't see them winning it. But the fact that this team got to the finals and knocked off the number one seed, the number two seed and did it easily really speaks to Jimmy Butler's greatness and disposed greatness and just the way they have that that franchise has, you know, everyone else believing in each other.
Speaker 4: ESPN's Kevin Pelton had a stat the other day saying that the Heat were one to one twenty five lawn shots to make the finals. Then it made the longest long shots in NBA history, So that is just never, never happened before, which is crazy. We've obviously seen a number eight seed in the play in the finals once before, but even that team, that next team was what was considered to be more likely a candidate than this Heat team.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: I would say this about Missoula. I think he has the potential to develop into a very good coach. I started my career down in Miami, and that was where I got my first job out of college.
Speaker 2: I knew Eric.
Speaker 4: Spulstra when he was a video assistant. Eric Skulstra was not always Eric Spulstra, right, he had to grow and learn and sort of, you know, get into the job.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't bury Joe Missouli yet by any standard.
Speaker 4: And I would also point out that the Celtics have had three coaches in three years, so if you change again, you're going to lose that continuity again. So it's just things to consider. I do agree with you, Boogie. I don't know all the details of the Udoka situation, so I can't sit here and say whether they shouldn't have done this or shouldn't have done that. But that to me seems like more of the inflection point of did you make that decision then, as opposed to you know, how did that change your fortune?
Speaker 2: As opposed to whether you keep Missoula Now.
Speaker 4: I do think that Dooka was able to hold players a little more accountable than it seems like Misilla is able to. And I don't know if that's just because Missoula is newer or younger or any of that stuff, And we'll see if that changes. But that is the biggest thing I have seen with the players not performing, is that they don't have someone holding them accountable.
Speaker 2: In the same way I thought you may doing the year.
Speaker 4: Before, And the players are a question only because you've got big money decisions coming up. Jalen Brown eligible for a contract extension of more than two hundred and eighty million dollars this summer, and because Jason Tatum also made all MBA, he's guaranteed that same kind of extension the following summer. So you're talking about signing these two guys to nearly six hundred million dollars in contracts over the next year and a half. If you were the Celtics, are you making that investment?
Speaker 1: Matt?
Speaker 2: Do you think these are the two guys to get in there?
Speaker 4: You are willing to put six hundred million dollars on the table after what you've seen?
Speaker 1: Ah? Yes, absolutely absolutely, because you got to think it takes a duo to win, and these guys are both in their mid twenties. You're not going to find a better duo. You know, Like I said, I think this. I mean, look at the team last year. You know this is the same team but a year older. So again, if if we're taking coaching styles and pointing fingers of whose fault it is, at the end of the day, player. These players definitely have to play better, both Tatum and Brown, and they know it. They have to play better. Obviously, I think having a coach there that will hold you accountable helps with that. But as far as breaking this duo up, they you know, the media and people have been trying to break this due up for like the last four years, which is which is insane because these guys are young and both very, very talented, and I feel like this is still a championship roster. So Mozilla's gonna have to you know, I don't know what coaches do to get better over the summer, but whatever it is, he's going to have to do that because this team is still one of the most talented rosters, has some of the best players in the world, and they have everything you need to win a championship. So players haven't played well, Mozula has to step his game up. But I'm one thousand percent maxing both Brown and Tatum out because if I'm not mistaken, I think these guys are like twenty six or twenty seven, like where are you gonna and another duo that has that kind of chemistry out there? You won't?
Speaker 4: I agree, I I definitely you know, I'm not looking at the break up either. It's just I mean, DeMarcus, that's six hundred million dollar investment.
Speaker 2: So are you a warm with Matt that you spend the six hundred million.
Speaker 3: I don't think it really comes down to the team. I think it's also a situation of, you know, does Jalen Brown want to be there? Anohing? I mean, I think that's that Houston situation. We all know they have a lot of cap space this summer. You know, they hired a coach that he was, you know, he enjoyed playing for. I think that situation could easily change. We all kind of know deep down inside he wants to be that number one guy. I feel like he has the talent the dude. I feel like he's shown the ability to do so. Uh He's always kind of living in the shadow with Jason Tatum regards that their duo works or not. It's a lot of what IF's in that situation outside of you know, will this working. So I do think it could work in Boston. I do think those guys are working money. But I think it's more than just it being in an organization's decision. I think James Brown has some say so on this as.
Speaker 1: What I think he has a lot booget. I think that's a great point because whenever you hear about you know, one person going, it's never Tatum, It's always Brown. Brown's name is always the name that that that that's throwing in there. And I think you make a great point. I mean, who doesn't want to be the one A My only pushback is is he's been a great duo. But I think sometimes guys underestimate the pressure of being him, you know what I mean, Like what kind of if Jalon Brown is your number one superstar, can he carry a team? And I think that is going to be a huge question moving forward, because there's no question he has that kind of talent. But when you're actually him, when you are the number one guy, which you know obviously Tatum in Boston, is if Jalon Brown goes to an organization where he's number one, can he carry an organization like that? So I think obviously that's a big question. But but he made a great point. I mean, I think more than anybody, it's up to Jaylen Brown whether he wants to return, because he is always the one with the most talent that they're dangling in front of everyone when it comes to if someone's moving, it's going to be him.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and players, players remember that stuff. I know y'all do.
Speaker 3: So it's the simular situation. It's a similar situation with that. We That's how we ended up finding out who James Harden is. That's how he became a legend he is. It was a similar situations when James had to leave. Okay, see, it was the same questions, can he carry a team? Can he be that superstow? Can he be that number one option? And we saw what he turned into. So Jaylen Brown is doing it with so called being the second option. So just imagine what he could do with, you know, a team being his own. So I think it's a real possibility.
Speaker 4: One of the man many things we will watch the sufseason, although Celtics not quite there yet. As we take this, I want to get to our legendary moments presented by Top Shot. We just have one of the more exciting draft lottery nights in recent memory, and this week on NBA, Top Shot Rookie Revelation is dropping the first set of legendary rookie collectibles in Top Shot history. Pallo's in there, Jamari Smith, Junior, Keegan Murray, jaydon Ivy, Jalen Williams, Walkert Kessler, and many other members of the twenty twenty two draft class.
Speaker 2: You can join the pack drop on topshot dot com.
Speaker 4: This week, and any packing buy on there before May thirty first will jerre you to win an all expenses paid trip to the twenty twenty three NBA Draft. So that's exciting, guys. I want you to answer this one, DeMarcus, which rookie from this year's class do you think has the brightest future If you can only collect one of these moments?
Speaker 2: Who would you collect? Who would you bank up?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go with my sad guy, Keegan. I think you played a huge role with this team, first time playoff team in the past twenty years, or whatever the case may be. You know, he started reguarded some of the best players every night. He fit in seamlessly, just being able to come into a winning situation early. He has a rookie can only do wonders for your career later on that a lot. So I think I think he has a bright future.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean that's what I was gonna say, So I don't want to double up. And I stand everything that Boogie's saying because I really feel like he is going to be a great two way player because Mike Brown is challenging with that. One of the purious shots we have in the game. He's a big kid. So I really like Keegan. So if I'm not gonna choose Kean, I'm gonna chose Paolow. My whole thing is just you know, and Bookie can speak to this. I mean, just going to an organization that's not stable, being a star at an organization that's not stable. Yeah, you're gonna put up great numbers, but are you going to be able to you know, really carry a situation and a lot of time, it's not on the players. It's more on the coaching and management when it comes to that. So really, like Palo, just don't know what's gonna happen in Orlando. They got a lot of young, good pieces, but is that going to translate into anything?
Speaker 4: Well, you can start your NBA Top Shot collection today at NBA topshot dot com.
Speaker 2: You get closer than ever to the game and players you love. Signed up today.
Speaker 4: Gotta get to on the radar. Presented by DraftKings the only sportsbook you need this postseason Tuesday Night, do or die game for the Celtics guys.
Speaker 2: Game four, Heat are one and a half point favorites.
Speaker 4: So, Matt, do the Celtics extend the series or do the Heat complete this week in South Beach.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that the Celtics get the next two and lose in Game six.
Speaker 2: All right, excellent betting advice. Bugging, I'm gonna go to opposite.
Speaker 1: Room.
Speaker 3: We spoke on this last episode. Many you already near the Caribbean. Man, let's start this vacation. Man, so complete bats book.
Speaker 2: It's like I'm in Puerto Rico. Come join by.
Speaker 1: Great, you are looking You're killing it. You are looking a little you are looking a little bit more centiment out there.
Speaker 3: You see me glowing, glowing.
Speaker 2: You look good off the court, you look good on the court.
Speaker 4: Twenty five points, fifteen boards, Matt, this guy scored the big one the other night.
Speaker 2: I mean he's cooking up there.
Speaker 1: He can do that. He can do that in this sleep man. That that doesn't impress me, because what makes me mad is he should be doing this on the NBA court. So, I mean nothing he does out there surprises me.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: He just needs another shot, man, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Man's making the best of opportunities. Hopefully they come back around. Man. So it is what it is.
Speaker 4: Are you sampling the Puerto Rican culture down there? Getting any good restaurant time?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean some good spots, man. I can't get past these ampanadas though. Trying to lay.
Speaker 1: Back easy on those big fellas, no.
Speaker 3: Bro, trying to fall back. But man, it's the screaming my name. Every day I wake up just screaming my name. But yeah, man, I'm really enjoying the people. I'm enjoying the culture. I mean, just the authentic and organic way of living. Like, I'm enjoying all of it, you know, the simpler things of like just everything that comes with this album. It's been enjoyable. So this is a good experience for I love it.
Speaker 4: And it says so much about you and your character that you're out there hooping just you know, you want to play ball, and I love that.
Speaker 2: I love people getting to see that good segue.
Speaker 4: By the way, Puerto Rico into Carmelo Anthony, who announced his retirement earlier this week after nineteen seasons. You played with Mellow on that gold winning Olympic team in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: What is your memory of playing with him and of your favorite climes of that.
Speaker 3: Man? Smells man. He's hilarious on that team. He was the grumpy old man. You know, he was chaperone and all the young puppies at the time. So, I mean, Mellow is great. He's a legend. He's actually my favorite player. You know, I grew up model in my game after Mellow. My oldest son middle name is Carmelo. To even further into how big of a fan I am a Mellow, but I mean he's a god he I mean, his legend speaks for himself. Everything he's done, from Denver to New York to wherever, he's been definitely an icon in his game. He carried it gracefully. He's seen the worst of he's seen the best of it. An incredible career. My only issue is I just wish he would have been able to walk out gracefully the way he deserved to. That's my only issue with all of He deserved to walk out on his own terms. But an incredible career live I legend and I'm happy to see you, you know, ride off in the sunset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely echo wing with Boobe said from a standpoint, if he should have been able to write his ticket on his way out. And it was crazy his last handful of years, how much slander and disrespect he got from the media and fans, and but it was never from the players because we always knew what he was about and the way he moved. One of the toughest covers in NBA history, one of the best scores we've ever seen, one of the biggest competitors we've ever seen. No holes in his offensive game, from dunking on you to posting up to you know, stepping off the block, to mid range to three pointers. There wasn't a hole in his game. He was strong as a fucking ox. Just again, one of the greatest players we've ever seen and in the game. Will definitely miss him and his essence and what he stood on and the man he was. Yeah, I can't say enough good things about Carmelo Anthony man and I love to see now that he's porn in his little man. His little man is going to be a problem too. So great career, but my main thing out of everything I said, is that what Boogie ended with, he should have been able to go out a different way. I think he got screwed over towards the end, and as much as he's given this game, he should have been able to go out on better terms. For sure.
Speaker 4: I certainly agreed that after Houston. I mean, that was just a debacle and he just was not treated fairly. And I think he's one of the more high character guys we've had in this in the last decade or so. The stuff that he has done off the court, in the community, the leadership position that he took, police brutality, and so many other things. Frankly before the NFL took it on, I mean that he was talking about this stuff for years, and I just think that that sometimes we let some of the other narrative get in the.
Speaker 2: Way of what kind of person Carmelo Anthony is.
Speaker 4: And Carmelo Anthony is the kind of guy that you want in your community, that you want on your corner, that you want on your team.
Speaker 3: And he is a.
Speaker 4: Legend and a Hall of Famer, and I can't wait to see him get his flowers. As he continues on the sort of post the retirement circuit over the next couple of years. I think my two favorite Olympic Carmelo stories are well. First of all, book you mentioned him being the grumpy old man. I think that was where we got that, like Vanessa Carlton thousand miles video of him on the bus, just like with Kyrie and those guys singing, Mellow just rolling his shot and so unhappy.
Speaker 2: I love that one.
Speaker 4: And I love the story that Jason Kidd told recently on Headliners about the two thousand and eight Olympic team where Lebron and Kobe it was like kind of their first time playing on the same team and Kobe was doing his you know, you know, Matt Kobe was doing.
Speaker 2: His four am workouts at the hotel and Lebron.
Speaker 4: Saw that and he had to show up then at four am for those workouts too.
Speaker 2: And Mellow's hearing about this later on in practice and he just looks at the kid and he goes, I'm not doing that shit.
Speaker 3: So perfect.
Speaker 2: It's perfect perfect Mellow right there as well.
Speaker 4: So I just I had it was off to him one of my favorite players to cover.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: But ye didn't know your son's middle name was Carmelo, that's fabulous.
Speaker 2: I love it. I love it all right, Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 4: What's Vernon is available every week on Showtime Basketball, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok at Show Basketball.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next week. Getting ready for the NBA Finals.