Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Leanna Holstitch and I'm Sienna Jacob and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth anniversary edition. This podcast is oh, and are now sorry. I also started I was like It's time and are now continuing to do the podcast. A podcast that the Arts Council of England will not accept as evidence in a visa application. Oh, despite it being award winning and on the largest network in America.
Speaker 1: And over one hundred episodes. Sticking to it. Oh, this podcast is a safe space.
Speaker 3: We're safe.
Speaker 1: We're safe right now, A safe space for people, a safe theater for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching The Producers two thousand and five. Yes, okay, I was born in Dusseldorphin. That is my day. Called me Vot, You're stupid bus Marty, come and join your Nazi party.
Speaker 3: Who didn't check enough before we did it?
Speaker 1: Did not even at all. Warning There will be spoilers about this, about this jazz hands old film.
Speaker 2: M I guess a content warning that we will be speaking about Neo Nazis, huh and Hitler on Germany during.
Speaker 1: World War Two.
Speaker 3: Yes, hmm, oh you know what.
Speaker 2: I we knew deep down because we discussed our love for Nathan Lane, so we both knew it was the Nathan Lane producer.
Speaker 3: That is exactly what I thought.
Speaker 1: I was like, there's no way in heck Leon would be the earlier one I have, but I vaguely remember it. I know Gene what's his name was in it?
Speaker 2: Kelly Gene Wilder. No, yes, could I please hear your prediction for the Producers?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think, okay, yeah, it's probably not offensive or anything.
Speaker 5: Oh all right, hi Leanna Na, I'm about to watch The Producers. Okay, that's not how it goes, but I'm about to watch The Producers with a hit show on Broadway that was a little better.
Speaker 1: Really looking forward to it. I know it's going to be offensive, hopefully in a funny way, because like everyone's gay and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's pretty much wild.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll cut that out. I guess if Nathan Lane is like being really horny, maybe it'll be funny because we know he's not super gross and horny for Uma Thurman.
Speaker 3: In real life.
Speaker 1: I don't know, we all see what it's like, but I remember it being very funny and fun. Yeah, with a lot of big uh uh sorry, over the top actors, and I hope we have a great time. Okay, I love you, good bo.
Speaker 3: You could hear me wanting to go.
Speaker 1: A lot of big actors, big actor, biggest actors. Oh, the biggest actors in Hollywood world. Well that what a wonderful prediction. I'm so sorry about mine. Oh great, okay, Hi, Sianna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch the producers. Uh my visa application just got rejected. Oh be cool and fun. I love living I predict singing and dancing and people who also just love being alive, because God, what a treat it is. Love you by you watched this directly after finding out there was no time.
Speaker 3: I am so sorry.
Speaker 1: This little thing we've decided to do and like commit to in our life has made our life very ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Because you have to do it like this is our choice to do it, so we just have to.
Speaker 2: And often it's at the last possible second, regardless of any sort of devastation that may have occurred around the same time. It's like when we were suddenly watching The Iron Giant. I just today had to morostly sit down and try to watch the pre.
Speaker 6: Leona.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry to hear this. We were talking about it off Mike, what a pain? A pain? Well, hey girl, hey, yep.
Speaker 2: My application for endorsement from the Arts Council of England has tempered currently been rejected. I have to either appeal that decision or submit a completely new application. They will not accept a podcast as evidence for that visa, which is in the fair because I'm applying as a comedian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they said no no.
Speaker 2: So instead I've used stand up and improv and now somehow have to mount a one woman show in the next approximately forty days that is well attended and reviewed by professional reviewers whom I do not know and have no contacts with, and somehow have to cold email and convince to come to this idiot's show and then write and publish a review about it. I received the email that my visa application for endorsement had been rejected while pooping.
Speaker 1: No wow, Okay, that was showed you a little bit about where I'm at in terms of my voice just now. That is horrible or well, not so horrible. I mean it's two things. It was one good thing went bad. I was already in a humble space.
Speaker 3: You were vulnerable.
Speaker 1: I was very I couldn't have been more vulnerable.
Speaker 3: I was absolutely down.
Speaker 1: Then they can feel right when you let your guard down, that's when they strike.
Speaker 2: He said, Oh, she's pooping. Send the email, send it out, send her the pro forma.
Speaker 3: So it's just going to be some more.
Speaker 1: I have to Are you actually gonna try to make like a one? I have no choice, I have to.
Speaker 2: They did not accept the reviews I submitted where I was part of a lineup of comedians. They said it's not enough individual focus on you or enough critique of your work. And I said, uh, I've only been doing stand up comedy for a year and a half. I don't want someone to come critique my work individually.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Hey, girl, sounds like you're about to mount a show. You're gonna have to go run around about to mount a show, You're gonna have to run around find teammates. And sounds like something we might have just watched.
Speaker 3: But sometime you're talking about going into that.
Speaker 1: Something for a little bit, hey girl, heyyear old under that energy. Gosh, well, I am just I am just testing the waters of ultimate extreme exhaust. I'm just seeing how far I can take it. Oh boy, this is kind of my like my big week, which I knew it was going to be for months now, the final week of October. These shows, I have two, I have two shows a night when I do it, and I'm doing four nights in a row.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I just did my second night last night and my voice is already kind of gone. I should have I didn't warm up before. And the difference is very, very very clear. Yeah, yesterday I was puppet master on a short film, and I gotta tell you, being somebody on a set who's like a specialist slash someone who gets an assistant instead of being an assistant. I get why people get addicted to that, because because we're losing you. It was well, I was not good at having an assistant. I literally was like, go do something else, that's completely fine. Oh this person was very good at being an assistant, though. I gotta say she like stood in the room while I was doing stuff even though I had nothing to give her yet. And then eventually she went, Sienna, is there anything you need for me? And I said, and she said, I'm gonna go downstairs. If you need anything, you text me and I'll be here. I just want to make sure you don't need anything. And I was like, that is how you should be. I'm always just like wandering behind somebody in a really creepy way when I'm like supposed to be assistant.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: And also like it's never clear as the assistant that you have the right.
Speaker 1: To not yeah the room. This person was I think older than us, and like she just she just just knows the deal. She was just sort of like this is there's so much going on, I gotta get out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, I was like, give her to work. So, uh that's one thing I learned yesterday. I guess my uh hay girls sort of all over the place because I really just I'm I'm so tired. One thing, I've been very exhausted because of this show I'm doing, and it's just been a big week of work too. And last week my roommates went to do a Halloween thing.
Speaker 6: I did.
Speaker 1: I texted you about this, but I was so exhausted. I literally like drove home and couldn't remember who drove home, because I drove my friends home, and once I got home, I was like, wait, who did that? Was it me? Or well, no, that's it was like dangerously tired, and I got in. I had taken I had run into my friends after my show and the parties that were all over, but then some of them wanted to go to this late night show that our friend was in, and some wanted to get food and then go to a party. And I really wanted to get food, but I didn't want to go to a party. So my friends were going to the show, said we would get food right after this person's act, and so we went to the show, and of course we ended up staying for the show for longer, and of course we didn't end up getting food, and it was whatever I knew it would go like that. But I drove back and then turns out my other friends had gone to get food and hadn't gone to a party. They'd just come home and watched you two and I saw them and I literally burst into tears.
Speaker 3: That is though, that is how sleepy I was. And they were like, what what happened?
Speaker 1: What did we do?
Speaker 3: And I'm like it's nothing.
Speaker 1: It's the exhaustion, it's the everything, it's the it's the extreme envy of you sitting down right now, Yes, uncontrollable, Oh my god, to be sitting down.
Speaker 3: So I've had a lot of you know, but this is the problem.
Speaker 1: Is is that it's going to be done soon and I'll go, thank God, I'm done with that crazy busy week. I'll get to relax and then I'll have nothing to do and be depressed. Right, isn't life a bit Yeah, well, speaking of life being a bitch? No, I'm speaking, I know, well, speaking of mounting a show from earlier.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, remember remember remember that.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about this little film we watched called The Producers, shall we?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Siana, we will you please perform a synopsis of the muvie, Oh My God of movie musical The Producers.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 1: The Producers, a notoriously lousy Broadway producer played by Nathan Lane and a nervous accountant who was always dreamed of being a Broadway producer played by Matthew Broderick, realize that it may be possible to make more money from a flop than a hit, and so they set out to make the worst most defensive show imaginable. They go about town gathering incompetent and insured and absurd teammates. They meet Uma Thurman, who's playing a woman named ullah Uda, and they create a show called Springtime for hitlert Uh. It is a very old school Broadway Vaudeville goof Time, goofy Time, goof Time, goof Time? What time is it? Goof time? And spoiler alert, the show ends up being a hit instead of a flop. Want wops the end? Yay yay yay. Unadd break, unad break.
Speaker 2: We're takking unad break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back in three minutes. Do some accounting. Yay, Well the only show we'll get right into our notes. Yeah, we're both killed.
Speaker 2: I think I should say up top, you remember when we worked at a bar studio. Yeah, people would call in and be like, I didn't check my bank statement for twelve months and I didn't realize I had a subscription to this bar class. Can you refund me for twelve months worth of membership? And we were like no, Unfortunately, due to the language and your contract that you agree to, and due to the fact that it's not our fault that you didn't check your bank account, and often the refrain was, oh.
Speaker 1: I wish I could give you a loan. H oh, I wish I could give you a loan, but I cannot give you alone.
Speaker 2: Watching sitting in front of this movie today, I was like, Oh, I wish I could be watching this film.
Speaker 1: I wish I could be taking me how I wish I could be in another body of my own. Wish I could be enjoying this, this this piece.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: So that's the energy that my notes have. If it seems that there's an absence in them, it's my spirit.
Speaker 1: There's an absence present.
Speaker 2: She was elsewhere. Yeah, there's the presence of an absence.
Speaker 1: Okay, I will take this into account. Well, I think we should say up top, we both really liked this movie, right, We were excited for her.
Speaker 2: All love have to have fond memories. Me too, all the songs was singing along. Remembered a lot of the lines from me too.
Speaker 3: Now I may have met.
Speaker 1: Oh us trying to for anything I say on this recording.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: I of course, as we know, was in a Melbrooks cabaret for Seattle, Washington's Broadway Bound Theater Camp and it was a one. Yeah, I played Leah Bloom, so of course I remember. Now I want to be a producer with a hitch show on Broadway?
Speaker 2: Yes, how did they Did they gender bend all of the womanizing in that song?
Speaker 3: I think they must have.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's tough.
Speaker 2: Because it's like, oh cool if they didn't, but then you're still womanizing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, is there a bunch of womanizing in that song.
Speaker 2: In the choreography more so than the lyrics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the station, so maybe it. Yeah, we didn't have all that stuff. We just had a wig and me.
Speaker 2: Okay, a wig and me a life story. Uh, I arrived in Los Angeles with a wig and.
Speaker 3: Me and a wig and me.
Speaker 1: Can we just discuss upfront what do we think of what do we make of this?
Speaker 5: Hmm?
Speaker 2: I the gay part I was a little bit like Sleigh like. It was just so camp and over the top.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I just enjoyed the Nazism. It hits differently now. I think in two thousand and five around then we could kind of be like, oh lool, because Nazis at the time were such a horrible thing, and yeah, I see how this is like crazy offensive to be doing for this audience. Unfortunately, now we have nazis.
Speaker 1: Yeah and so, and we're like quite as like, lol, we're literally a matter of hours away from finding out if we're going to have a dictator of our own. And it's very very frightening. It's very frightening. So it's no longer the escapist piece. Yeah, in fact, this will be coming out after the election. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What really struck me this time was the womanizing because when you watch that as a kid, and you, yeah, you get true seeing women's bodies in films, TV and music videos and just everywhere in an that powering way.
Speaker 1: Right, I was like ooh.
Speaker 2: At the same time, it was choreographed and directed by.
Speaker 3: A woman, And by the end, I was like, now that's why. Yeah, now that's.
Speaker 1: Exactly what I said. That is exactly what I said. I said, Oh, that's why, because I have to say why. This movie altogether held up a lot better than I thought. And again I was bracing myself. I thought this would be more kind of not hateful, but like, hmm, what's like bullying, But in fact it's just incredibly camp and slay. Yes, camp and slay. And I felt that way about a lot of the stuff actually even the old lady part, he was like, yeah, you old crone or he called them that once. But I expected him to be a lot more like, oh, this is disgusting, But he was kind of nice to the old women that he was like ookaing up with. And I don't know, there's pretty good hearted intentions behind a lot of this film. And that's one of those things where once I see that it's directed by a woman, I'm like, well, there you go. Well that's why I think someone who knew that people exist, that the people are people. Yeah, because women can never do anything something. I feel.
Speaker 2: There's something also to be said for a lot of the womanizing being portrayed by Nathan Lane.
Speaker 1: Yes, such a lovable, lovable actor. Totally and very there is very absolutely the knowledge glicitly gay irl. Yeah, you're like, this feels safe in a way that a lot of the time on screen womanizing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, does not.
Speaker 1: Totally. And I also Ula I thought would be also more. My memory of her was that it was funny, but I was like, we'll see how this is.
Speaker 3: But I loved Ula.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, she was having so much fun and love. He's having a great time, She's just doing what she wants to be, doing what she wants to do. And her song, while yes, it's playing to the male gaze, it's all about like rockin' and own in your body and yeah, like this is me, You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. She's like, yeah, I just have an incredible body, so I want to just swing it around and show it to everyone.
Speaker 3: It's gonna yeah.
Speaker 1: And then when she does her little dance, it's not like it's just her wiggling her hips.
Speaker 2: Great, Yes, she's silly, she's goofy. I was very guess exactly what she wants as well.
Speaker 3: She gets married to this band so that he'll do it.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 1: Well, Leanna, I'm gonna read some of your notes. Despite it all, Leanna, you said I do love a musical thank you, so that you have trying desperately down in an absolute FuG FuG of existence.
Speaker 2: I was in a damn thug. I'm on two laptops at once, because technically I'm doing my day job at this. On my other laptop, I'm emailing trying to book in a venue for a one woman show that doesn't exist, and on my phone, I'm taking notes slash replying to messages from people suggesting other venues to possibly reach out to. Oh my god, show that I have not written, unprofortunately unfortunately.
Speaker 1: I love this, that this is happening. I know for you this is hell, and I would also feel the hell.
Speaker 3: It's horrible, but.
Speaker 1: Similar to watching the Producers me just watching your life. I can't wait. Also, if there's any way I can help you, I would love to thank you. I know I can't know anyone with the professional If you know anyone who works for The Guardian or the Times, U huh. It's very I mean, kind of comically so, but it's very just good old Broadway, like they're going to give you a big finish there, gonna give you a one last, one last verse. They're gonna do a little dance number along with it. They're gonna give a little I jumped it.
Speaker 2: I really love a movie musical that actually commits to the music.
Speaker 3: It commits so hard it was very entertaining. It really didn't get like this.
Speaker 2: Chicago Cabaret does this kind of They just like they accept and embrace that they are a musical.
Speaker 1: What didn't do this was Mean Girls. The new version.
Speaker 2: Yes, half asked it and it pissed me so much, whereas this one was like, it's Nathan Lane in a jail cell, but the jail cell is filled with lights and interesting jail cell choreography, and it's extremely wonderful and fun.
Speaker 3: I can play a part of it.
Speaker 1: At the end of that number, oh yeah, and I had goosebumps as well. Oh Lehana, you said something very funny. You said, I want everything I've ever seen in the movies. A woman would never say this.
Speaker 3: It's true. Those aren't really good things most of the time for the women.
Speaker 2: No, Leo Bloom comes out of realizing he's gonna be a producer and he's.
Speaker 6: Like, I want it.
Speaker 1: I want everything I've ever seen in the movies.
Speaker 2: And I was like, ooh, have you seen the movies? I guess as a man, yeah, I know, maybe you would want that.
Speaker 3: I felt a.
Speaker 1: Pang of that for all of his stuff that he was singing about. It's like, okay, yeah, all the things you get being a producer. We know some famous producers that got a lot of stuff and now they're in jail. Mm hmmm, mm hmm. That's a sobering thought. It's like, that's something you should want to be that bad. Yeah, I want to be that so I can get all the stuff that comes along with it.
Speaker 3: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's some things that Leanna has said in her state. She said, here's the quote, I'm not going into the toilet, I'm going into show business. Leanna says, Lol, well, I'm going into the toilet. And then you've said, and then you've said as quick as possible, me writing a one woman show. It's really you should have said mounting. It's less writing, it's much more mounted.
Speaker 3: You're taking you this whole movie. You're like, all right, taking notes.
Speaker 1: Damn it. Oh fuck me. It's the embodiment of shit my ass. It really is. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean you've received this news while literally pooping and now have to write a one woman show. Mount a one woman show. Truly, shit my ass?
Speaker 3: Oh this one too. They're there where where me.
Speaker 1: That's actually a really hard note to say. I think I do this to you a lot often. I wrote, I write down a quote and then a thought, and you have to really perform the whole. I'm sorry. It's when I'm starting to try to I'm mastering.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna change. But yeah, Max is comforting. Will Ferrell's character. He's like, they're there, and Will Ferrell's like, yeah there, and I was like, yeah me.
Speaker 1: Will Ferrell is so funny in this. I adore him in this. This is the kind of thing where you see him and you go, I mean, that's a star right there. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: He gives it all up. He gives it all up on the stage, dog I do.
Speaker 1: One of the things I love about Will Ferrell is he's kind of like he can be sort of a subdued funny guy if he wants to be, the kind that's sort of like just kind of the sort of funny guy in your class type. But also he's a theater kid. He's a star.
Speaker 3: He's a star.
Speaker 1: Henna, Oh Mike, He's got it. He's got it.
Speaker 3: He really does.
Speaker 2: I love the line he says where he says we lived it's the back right across from Switzerland. All you ever heard was yodling. Amazing to say that you lived at the back of a country is so funny. So much of this movie is so quotable, except that you can't just like say that out loud, right. You can't just like when when you're having a coffee with your girls, be like, hello all the producers.
Speaker 1: Remember when he's like, I.
Speaker 3: Was never a member of Sanazi Party.
Speaker 1: You know when I laughed, I like a moment that surprised me. It surprised me until laughter was hmm. I mean, there's so many things so funny about this film. But once they finally do the the end number or they the springtime for Hitler is really quite a production, and like all of that women in tanks as like, it's like so funny and over the top. And the parts that really had me laughing were when the women start dancing and they're like German Nazi World War two uniforms like short shorts.
Speaker 3: They're dancing and they go they go to one side and one guy goes like, I was.
Speaker 1: Born and that's my nor and then they dance the other side. Then this guy goes to me, stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party. I left so hard. And then they keep dancing and they're going throwing grenades and stuff.
Speaker 2: When they tap the ground it's gunshots and yeah, like, oh my god, I completely agree that.
Speaker 1: Number so much.
Speaker 2: And they did the perfect thing with it where you're watching it very appalled, and then it cuts cause you're watching it like wait a second, is this okay?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: That they're doing this totally and then it cuts to the audience and they're completely appalled and it's so funny and you're like, oh, good, okay, so they know they obviously know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone know. The whole point is that yeah, okay, And it's so over the top in a direction that is yeah, it's a very they they went the right direction with it. It's not too detailed about anything. It's just like, yeah, it's it's more uh, writing lyrics with these historical terms, like when he's like, pile me, it's a.
Speaker 2: Mile to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no greater dictator in the land. Leonna.
Speaker 3: You said this ending walked, so the end of Paddington two can run. Oh right, so true.
Speaker 2: Ending with a number, very fanciful of a bunch of people in jail having a good time, just.
Speaker 1: Very you said, just very genuinely high quality dancing. I felt that often through this movie. I went they they had people, but just bring it. Oh it's people, just brought it. Did you notice some Andrea Martin was in this and I saw her in the credits, and I said, during the Old Lady dance. I was like, wait a second, Yeah, and had I been watching the film, absolutely seen her. She was so great.
Speaker 2: Everybody was so just all of the ensemble members. Who are I Just Another thing I loved is they clearly had Broadway performers, yes in this movie, Yes, just people who know how to sell Broadway. Even then their toes were pointed, yeah, and their limbs were extended. Everything was intentional. There was so much intentionality behind every movement. Oh, I had no idea w Uma Thurman was such a song and dance person. Well, it's because she was not allowed to speak in pulp fiction. Yeah, the other film we've seen her in she just overdosed on drugs. And then was it's insane that that's what she's more whatever known for.
Speaker 1: I was like, she was so good in this. She was so good.
Speaker 3: She's such a good dancer.
Speaker 1: I know. Well, Leana, should we move on to badges and trages?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Your final notes, By the way, we've we talked about it, but just to reiterate are that this was directed by a woman, so no wonder it's so great. And also she was the choreographer, which it does. It does make sense, it does. I loved that so much.
Speaker 2: I was like, it makes so much sense to have the choreographer also direct the camera, Like if you're directing the movement of the people, you should also be in charge of the movement of the camera, right, and how it's seeing the people. And that's why it also was so good, Like that's what, Oh, that's why it feels like it captures Broadway so well. You really feel like you're watching a musical and not just like that's so true filmed a dance. Yeah, oh, I really I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. Unfortunately I love it and you've got it, flunked it your ads and stretch your stuff. We'll be right back after these messages.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Oh I already said that. Well, Leona, let's move on to badges and trages, where we give badges for.
Speaker 2: For badges for b Alis stock, oh the Ali stock and bloom b Alis stock and bloom and trages.
Speaker 1: For tax fraud. Sure are they doing tax fraud? I didn't really understand their ruse at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: That's that thing that's like never show to the IR.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which we'll have to talk about badge for h My first badge is for just a hook this movie. After it started, I was excited, but then I remembered that there was a real point to the movie.
Speaker 3: That it's like, Oh, they are.
Speaker 1: Going to try to make a bad show because they can make more money that way. Maybe just like, yes, we're gonna have that moment or that light bulb moment that goes along with the musica. Oh wait, ye, here's what the show is gonna be about. And I got so excited when I remember that. I love a movie with a point. It's very comforting. It is, it's very comforting.
Speaker 2: I my first badge is a badge for this woman in the Kleine blue gown during the opening number. I from the very first time I ever saw this film, there is one woman in the opening number who I just cannot take my eyes off of. Oh, and she is wearing this gown that.
Speaker 3: Is Oh, I know who's talking about.
Speaker 1: I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Got the top comes to a point up by each shoulder. It's like a strapless gown, and the the bodice comes to a point, and she's so captivating and the gown is so blue.
Speaker 1: Wow, big badge, big badge, I have a badge for one of my favorite bits was when Nathan Lane takes off his cardboard belt. He's like, look at me, now I have a cardboard belt and then he rips it up.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love when he's like, you're an accountant, then account for yourself.
Speaker 1: You're doing here?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: A badge for the casting, A badge for Nathan Lane, a badge for Will Ferrell. To two boys I love to watch, I really do. It really is like it is such a good cast and a creative cast to bring together Nathan Lane, Will Ferrell, Matthew Roderick, Uma Thurman.
Speaker 3: Those are not unexpected. Yeah, I wouldn't have said, oh yeah, that's a tree a quadro.
Speaker 1: That yeah, classic combo. That a combo you must bring together, classic quadro. Also, I don't remember which characters were the the gay keep it gay actors, but they were.
Speaker 2: A director and his Oh my god, I love them so and that guy was not conscious pilot?
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Correct? But I see why that's your thoughts.
Speaker 1: You see what I mean? You can think you how cheez? Gary Beach and Roger Bart amazing, they were so fun. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Badge for.
Speaker 1: Feels charmingly old school, just all the like the razzle dazzle they give you. Even though it's tongue in cheek about a lot of things, it is genuine razzle dazzle.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, a badge for common law assistant. That's how the director's partner refers to himself. I was like, loll oh my gosh, okay, yeah, we're to this part of the movie. My next badge just for yes, I.
Speaker 1: Remember that being funny, and it was like fifty times funnier than I even remember. Oh my god, so much of.
Speaker 2: This holds up so well because it's it's either like slapstick or physical comedy, or just like the intonation with which you say something that makes it so funny.
Speaker 1: This movie wasn't afraid to just get the very best, the very best performers.
Speaker 3: They said, let's make it the best.
Speaker 2: Yes, a badge for the bouquets in the director's house. There was some very gorgeous bouquets in huge vases.
Speaker 1: Badge for this gay assistant, Roger Roger Bart the assistant pretty much rocked my world in this movie. Yes, every single thing he uttered. I looked him up immediately after that. I've seen him in other things, but I was like, where can I watch him consistently, consistently and I don't know where oh if your intention, but anyway, this is.
Speaker 3: A perfect actor.
Speaker 1: Bullseye, bullseye. And that was after. That was after the director called him the wicked Witch of the West of the West, Oh, wicked witch of the w bull I love it. I looked like the Chrysler.
Speaker 2: Building badge for the lighting designer is a lesbian. Everybody on their team is a gay man, and then the lighter designer is a lesbian and that's canonically true for the theme.
Speaker 4: Is true.
Speaker 1: I badge for keep it Gay, badge for the keep it Gay number. Altogether, as we were saying, it's a it's a fascinating thing because it's it was not from a gentle time of the culture. It should be.
Speaker 3: It should be.
Speaker 1: Problematic on levels, on certain levels, and you know, on certain levels, yes, the whole thing, but it really did something very modern. It really holds up in being very camp and very cunty. Yeah, it was just so fun. Also, they're all just going like la la la, la la, and it was a blast.
Speaker 3: Very related.
Speaker 2: A badge for the feather boa that Leo comes home with after visiting their house, comes in wearing like the Chrysler headpiece and this amazing feather bow.
Speaker 1: I have a badge for constantly entertaining there was not one dull moment in this movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, I might watch it again tonight if I'm more able to enjoy things now that I've committed to mounting a show. A badge for the director's opening night suit. Oh my gosh, the outfit that the director who ends up to go on is Hitler. His opening night suit is so It's like a sparkly tux.
Speaker 1: And I love it so good.
Speaker 3: Badge for oh all bangers.
Speaker 1: Every single one of these songs was memorable except maybe there except maybe they're oh like one in the court, Yes, yes, okay, good yes. Uh.
Speaker 2: My final badge is a badge for God. She looks incredible Uma Thurman's evening gown that she wears for the opening night party. When she comes in and she finds Leo on a hanger on the back of the production office door. She looks so good. I just the fabrics in this movie are so luxurious, and I.
Speaker 1: Really love that. My final badges are badge for when the whole court sambas. I love that so cute. The judges like stop it stop it. I can't help it.
Speaker 3: That's delight.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I have to give us Stole the Show badge to Nathan Lane for his number betrayed. Oh, particularly when he does his life flashing before his eyes.
Speaker 1: Then he goes, my name's not Alvin. I grew up in the bbody else's life is flashing. That's so.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's a great bat an.
Speaker 1: That's one of those that's just like showing off how great a performer is and we're all grateful for it. It's so good and it's so funny. Oh great trag is trages. Oh my gosh, wait, sorry, my final badge is a badge for marquees. I love the ends with all these marquees of like punny names of other of Broadway shows. That's introducing like cats. It just katz. That was clearly mel Brooks had been like had been thinking of these over the years. Yeah, it's just a Jewish ice. Yeah, so funny.
Speaker 3: Trag is a you can go first, Okay, just don't trage.
Speaker 2: For it's this wasn't even fat phobic. I just am sad for this woman in the number. There's just like ugly woman that they make fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she's like, it's so weird and her ugly is actually like she just is a little shorter and like has curly hair. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it was so just like, Okay, I actually this does mean to women. It was mean, this is two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Yes, totally.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I have a trauge for I have a tradge for when he says your dirty old buzzard after the he whisks off one of the old women and the whole thing isn't mean, but that when I was just like, oh, come on, do anything she's paying you in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, trage for women's rights. Yeah, in the sense of there's a lot of there's a lot of body on screen. Yeah, for the dance core yeah, which I dancer is very hot, but it's a deep imbalanced gender wise. Yeah, you see a lot of woman's body in the film.
Speaker 3: Definitely trage for.
Speaker 1: If we were to look at this in terms of the character's values, certainly, you know, like our sweet Leo wanting to have all the things that a producer has and yeah, and all the as you said, the womanizing and things like that, they're definitely you know, you know what you're getting into. It's very over the top and it's very there's a lot of wowie zowie kind of moments.
Speaker 3: Yeah, h.
Speaker 2: A trage for I don't care for this song. I don't even remember a single word or tune from it, but it's the first song that Leo Bloom sings about Ula when they're alone in the producer's office, and at the end of that.
Speaker 1: Face that face, that marvelous face.
Speaker 2: I get that they have to establish that the two of them are for each other, but.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The point of that song is that he just keeps turning to the camera and singing straight forward. She'll try to give him a kiss a little bit, and then he'll just go back and hm hmmm, which is pretty funny. Not that he just keeps being distracted by other things, but that he keeps facing the camera. Yeah, trage for some of the moments behind to keep it gay. The thing, the way that I felt about it was that I was like, I'm enjoying it, but I don't know, like, if I were to talk to the people creating it at the time, I'm not the things that I was like, slay, slay slay, I think they'd be like, what, No, this was supposed to be like a joke.
Speaker 3: This is supposed to be bad, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway I have there's a trag for an energy of hey, are we sure that everyone's okay with this? Where obviously do a Hitler musical is insane? Yeah, and you know, maybe not the best and uh at the end when the police come in and they're all Irish like, Okay, I see, I understand why you're making this joke.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not sure about it. It's very it's just so vaudevillian, like when they can make there be a character and the thing is is like very caricature, right, So like when they can go okay, and then how about there's a bum in between these guys who's also singing with them?
Speaker 3: Okay, sounds good.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we need an old lady, we need a hot lady, we need an ugly lady, we need a bumb we need a Nazi, we need an Irish guy, we need a fat guy. You know all these things where you're like it's like setting up like all of those guys walk into a bar. Yeah, exactly one of those jokes. Yeah, yeah, and it's Vaudeville, is an almost impossible ship to land, ship to steer.
Speaker 3: I will say, like.
Speaker 1: Port, you see these are the places where you go, Okay, well this is the part I see why, Like.
Speaker 3: It's it's this, this old school.
Speaker 1: Entertainment can be enjoyed. But you said when it misses the mark, you're not surprised at ye all. Yeah, final trage is definitely there's fat phobic for sure, Like it's it's not definitely. One of the caricatures that they like to do is just like, let's call this character fat and that's bad, fat fat, fatty fat fat. I'm not that fat fat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, I have a trage for making light of the US carceral system.
Speaker 1: I always feel weird about that too. I always do to Deville. But yeah, no, whenever they have dancing prisoners, I'm like, you understand that we've created hell, right, We've created a living hell and it's completely unjust. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My final trage is generally insensitive.
Speaker 1: Again, I think it held up a lot, like I didn't feel I didn't feel gross, but yeah, if you're feeling really sad about war, this has a lot of war stuff. If you're feeling really sad about Yeah, the cartinal system. If you're feeling really sad about sexism, if you're feeling you know, like if you're having a time where you're gonna see all that, it's gonna be in this movie, but you will be reminded you any more trages.
Speaker 3: No, that's it. Well, Leona, I believe you have a heart, so I guess we should keep going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's keep going.
Speaker 2: My heart out is mounting a one woman I have a heart out one woman show in thirteen minutes.
Speaker 1: I gotta go. Well, Leana, shall we move on to our next segment? Of course? How to pretend you've seen this film? This is for you are at opening night of Leanna's One Woman show, opening and closing night. It's a one time thing. I'm gonna need that sign and shenning in line. You're excited, this person goes.
Speaker 3: I hear. It's pretty high stakes this this show.
Speaker 1: You know, it reminds me of another show I've seen, one that I prefer because it's not about women. Actually, one that I prefer because, yeah, there's one woman I really like because I like to look at her, and the other ones are the guys who want what I want, which is to be a famous producer with power and money. And you go, ooh, I don't think you got out of that what you were supposed to get out of that movie? He says, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's called the Producer's Producer Baby.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna tell you all about to stop Max. I guess in order to stop Max from producing you, We're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film The Producers.
Speaker 1: This movie also looked so fun to be in.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, don't even get me so get me started. Oh, yes, Max, I've seen The Producers. Could you just please leave me alone and go to the bathroom? And Max says, but I don't have to, and I say.
Speaker 1: Try try think of Niagara Falls. Yes, Max, I've seen the film The Producers two thousand and five. Fun fact which I think you and I will both be happy to hear, because I was stressed about this and I wonder if you were too. Fun fact that Matthew Broderick wore an ear plug in one ear when Nathan Lane has to get up really close.
Speaker 3: To scream in his ear.
Speaker 1: Never put your own money in the show. Your own money in the show. He was so I was stressed about that. Yes, I loved it. I'm just like, I love it when Nathan Lane yelled me too, he's so funny. Okay, another fun fact. Because I think there's so many in this, I have to double him up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nathan Lane.
Speaker 1: Shaved the top of his head in order to create a realistic comb over, which, by the way, is a huge brag that He's like, yeah, my hair ahead of hair is so full, I'm just gonna he had to shave it down.
Speaker 2: Wow, Oh Max, I've seen the producers. Please get over yourself. You can be better than this. Don't you realize there's a lot more to you than there is to you.
Speaker 3: I loved that line, there's so much more, so much.
Speaker 2: I tried to make that my senior quote in the yearbook really because there was a photo of me in front of a fountain.
Speaker 1: I was like, you're like a.
Speaker 2: Fountain, don't you realize? I love about that so much that Nathan Lane says there's a lot more to you than there is to you, and then he turns towards the camera and he just mouths, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: Good? I love this? Oh my gosh, I forgot to say that I loved the songs in this, but like listening to the lyrics, it just felt like mel Brooks sat down and wrote them in one sitting anyway. Fun fact, Yes, Max, I have seen the movie.
Speaker 3: I have seen the film The Producers.
Speaker 1: Fun fact. Melbrook originally wrote the music by humming the melodies to the songs into a tape recorder and having friends who were musically literate write them down onto staff paper. Oh isn't that cute.
Speaker 3: He's just such a He's like.
Speaker 1: I got a song in my heart and I gotta sing it. Yes, it figures not much. I have a secret desire.
Speaker 4: Hiding deep in my soul. It that's my heart of fire to see me in this rule To.
Speaker 1: Me, we're singing at the same time, but I don't know if we are.
Speaker 2: For you to me, we're also singing it at the same great so there's almost no way that we are. Yeah, beautiful O, Max, I saw you coming, and I'm actually starting the conversation first so that you can't. For the last sixteen months, I have been touring in No No. And then Max says, you played Nietzsche. No No, No No, I love that so funny. No No, I love the audition seen so much when, oh my god, the assistant.
Speaker 6: Goes Jacques Lapidia, Jacques leap Jack Lapides, Jack Lapidies. I mean that is so funny, Juq Lapidia.
Speaker 3: Truly Roger Bart is my new hero.
Speaker 1: Oh mm hmmm, aw.
Speaker 3: Yes, Max, I've seen the film The Producers.
Speaker 6: Yay.
Speaker 1: Roger Bart was nominated for a two thousand and one Tony Award for Supporting or Featured Actor in Broadway. Wait two thousand and one, so he must have been in the when it was on broad Broadway one too, Thank goodness. Oh I love that.
Speaker 2: I also love so much when they bring an actor from the Broadway show to be in the movie version, me too. I think that's so good.
Speaker 1: They bring so much pizzazz, so descrived. Oh my god, the pizzazz is unmatched. He was drunk, You got lucky.
Speaker 2: Don't ever call here again.
Speaker 1: It sets my heart of fire to see me in this role, Ciana.
Speaker 2: Let's roll into our next segment. Yeah, yeah, let's do it. Should you watch this or this is where we tell you if you should watch this movie or if you should produce some other if.
Speaker 1: You should produce a one woman show instead?
Speaker 3: Oh Leanna, what do you think.
Speaker 1: You could just do screaming for a lot of it.
Speaker 2: I genuinely, while watching this, I was like, maybe I could just sing a song from the Producers at some point. I don't need to get like the rights for it or anything. I'm not gonna charge admission. I would say you could watch The Producers for sure. It's extremely fun parts of it. As Siena phrased very well, when the vaudeville doesn't land, you're not sobriety. If you don't want to watch the whole movie, please watch Nathan Lane's performance of the number B trade on YouTube, and.
Speaker 3: It also is a summary of the movie.
Speaker 2: It's a summary of the film as well. What you could watch instead is Will and Harper the documentary on Netflix. I can't remember if I've talked about it on this pod before, but it's Will Ferrell and his friend Harper Steele and they go on a road trip and it's about Harper traveling back through America after she's transitioned.
Speaker 3: And it's really.
Speaker 1: Beautiful and just a very good document you saw it. I watched it. I cried so much. And I never watched documentaries. I don't care about them. Yeah, but watching this I was like, this is very well done.
Speaker 2: Wow, great Will and Harper on Netflix.
Speaker 1: Sienna, what would you say? I would say, it's actually it's actually a very fun movie to watch. Still, this was kind of like a this this experience is sort of a I like this movie, let's check if it's actually good.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: It's exactly it really delivers on what you want. It's exactly what you hope for. Yeah, see exactly what you expect. And a little more fun because people are so talented. I mean really just watching it for uh, Roger Bart and Gary Beach and then on top of that Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick and Nwmuthrmin and Will Ferrell. It was fun. I would watch it fun fun well, Sienna, what would you rate the film? The producers? Gosh, I'm gonna give the producers four elizabeths out of five, Elizabeth being the middle name of many of the men in this movie. I think even at times where it was trying to kind of make fun of things, it ended up just being modern because those things that were kind of what they're making fun of is just what's cool now, for example, being gay, being gay, and it had so many. The actors are so talented. It was not afraid of just putting talented people in it and putting on a show. Baby, what about yourself, Leanna?
Speaker 2: I will give the producers four Chrysler buildings out of five.
Speaker 1: It's so fun. The performances are so good in it. It loses a point for some womanizing and some indelicate jokes. Yeah identities, Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Really could be much worse fun watch and directed by a woman. Are you kidding that that was the that was the cherry on top? You're freaking joking?
Speaker 3: And it makes sense, It really makes sense.
Speaker 2: Susan Strowman, She flipping slade all of this. God, the choreography was so good too. I'm just so happy for her, you.
Speaker 1: Know, mm hmm, and for us. Who well, Leanna, we have watched the film The Producers two thousand and five. Who phew, Thank you everybody so much. This has been tossed Popcorn. We are at toss Popcorn on Instagram. You can get sweet memes and posters there. We are also on patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn. We really really appreciate the support, and every month we put out a little modern review or a review of a movie that's out today, So check that out and join us next week when we will be watching Let's get Let's check you that. I feel like we need something. Let's just do fun things for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and join us next you can. We will be watching Paddington I.
Speaker 1: I whoa. I like this going off of the vibe of what we just did, just kind of see. It's fun. I'm loving it.
Speaker 3: Follows the path.
Speaker 1: It's fay. Well, We'll see you then, thank you, we love you. Bye. You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leona Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Someone Else's Life is Flashing before my eyes?
Speaker 5: The hell is that a