Speaker 1: The Season with Peter Schreeger is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. What's Up, Everybody, Welcome to the Season with Peter Schreger. I am Peter Schreeger. I am the hosts of Good Morning Football on the NFL Network. You can also read my stuff over at Fox sports dot com and you can see me on Sundays on Fox NFL Kickoff. But today, as I record this on a Thursday morning in glorious New York City, I identify as a New York sports fan. I am telling you I am walking through the streets this morning, just mere hours after the Yankees beat the Royals in a Big Game three in Kansas City, the Mets eliminated the Phillies in a Big Game four in City Field, and whereas the New York Liberty are suiting up tonight to take on the Minnesota Links in a WNBA five Finals match. Oh, by the way, the Knicks won a preseason game. The Rangers are hot in the preseason, and everything is coming up New York. Except there's one team that is still dominating the back pages, and that's the New York Jets. And I'm going to talk a little bit about the last seventy two hours in New York. I did an emergency podcast in your feed day it happened, but Robert Sala was fired rather abruptly Tuesday morning, and with forty eight hours more for me to do my work as a reporter and digest and put on that hat, I can share with you some interesting details. Woody Johnson, the ambassador was not happy after the game in London, and yes there were talks on the flight back as to whether it was time to rip off the band aid and dispose of Robert Sala and maybe make some different wholesale changes. What those are I don't know. As Monday began, everybody got into the building and looking over their shoulders, are we good? Are fine? Started working on a game plan. But the big change was Robert Sala was going to remove play calling duties from Nathaniel Hackett to Todd Downing that was shared with Hackett. Hackett was understanding. He said, I will do whatever is necessary for this team. I have no ego. I will take a back seat. Am I still employed? Yes, you're still employed. We're good. Hackett not getting fired. The big change this week was going to be play calling duties. Aaron Rodgers went on Pat McAfee and revealed he did speak with the owner, Woody Johnson, on a phone Monday night, but it was more about how you're doing, how's your ankle? It wasn't so much about should we fire Robert Sala. In fact, I take Rogers on his word on this, and it's everything that I heard. That idea was not suggested to Rodgers, and from what I gather, whether or not it was done so with the read between the lines or body language or whatever. Rogers was not the judge, the jury and the executioner on this one Tuesday morning. Everyone got to the building, this is going to be rolled to the team, and in a grander fashion that this was going to be Todd Downing now calling the place for the New York Jets. And instead of them just turning the page and looking towards the Buffalo Bills, the bomb was dropped. Robert Sala, after four years as head coach of the New York Jets, was fired, and he takes his twenty and thirty six regular Susan record with him and he goes with some great shock within the building. Hackett was shocked. I could tell you that multiple coaches were shocked, and I again will tell you that this reverberated throughout the team as well. You heard Tyler Conklin say that he was shocked, and the tight end said that Aaron Rodgers was as torn up by anybody. They love Robert sala that's kind of the aside. Here. Sala, as you may or may not know, has nine children living in the New Jersey area. He is a good man, and people roll their eyes say, I don't want to hear about what a good guy is. Can he coach football or not? You're making millions of dollars. I get it. He can coach football. He's a really good coach, and I think he might have another shot of being a head coach where he can redeem himself. But at the end of the day, the scoreboard wasn't what it was in the eyes of what the Jets ownership thought it should be. Two and three after two bad losses, one of them in the rain against the Broncos and one of them overseas was just a road that the Jets ownership felt like had gone the distance and they weren't going to be able to turn it around as they saw fit. Now They did this move with the desire to kick start this franchise, to light a fire under everybody's you know what, and to see if Jeff Olbrick known as Breck in the building, a former player and a very good defensive coach, can get this team back on track and save the season, and it might not take much. The Jets play the Bills on Monday night. If they win that game against the Bills, they will be three and three and they will be at the very least tied for first place in the division. Move on beyond that, they have ten games on the East Coast coming up, meaning they're not going to be flying all over to London to San Francisco, to Nashville and everywhere in between, with short weeks, long weeks, pretty much standard games and that one o'clock window, all of them up and down the Eastern Seaboard. They also have the fifth easiest schedule left per sports Radar and all the different Elias Sports Bureau numbers that have been crunched. I don't want to say that this is a winnable game, but if you look at Buffalo, this is one that I think Jets fans, despite being seven point underdogs and everything know that they can take. They've beaten the Bills in this building before. They did it last year when Rogers went down in Week one, and they have beaten them in years prior as well. With Josh Allen having had scratching games, the Jets defense is still one of the best in football. And Olbrich now takes over as the head coach, and on Thursday, two days removed from the news of the firing, he came out and publicly announced that Todd Downing will be calling the offense. Counting we'll see. He took over in Tennessee and was a fine offensive coordinator there when Arthur Smith was the head coach for a few years there in Nashville, his tenure ended unceremoniously with an incident that he regrets and has been paying for ever since. Now he gets another opportunity for redemption himself. Jets are such an interesting story. I had them as the number one team in the AFC before the season started. I have Rogers as my MVP. None of that is true right now. And yet as we turn the page and we head towards the weekend, it seems like there's still a chance, and there's still is a glimmer of hope, and there's still is a path Morgan Moses is going to return, and you run Brice Hall and Brayln Allen behind that offensive line with Elijah Vera Tucker and now Morgan Moses right there upright, there's a chance. Monday Night's going to be fascinating. And I think that Aaron Rodgers is going to come out hair on fire and hopefully looking to salvage this season for the New York Jets. Robert Salad is gone. This was a shocker within the building, and yet as we fast forward forty hours, we learn not only does the world continue to spin, and not only the Jets fans turn the page and say, okay, what's next? New York sports fans have a lot going on and if they don't win, and if they fade away Jets fans, well, they've got these other squads that they're leaning on. The Mets, the Yankees were a couple games away, a couple wins away from a Subway series, and the Jets, though they've dominated the headlines, they might take a back seat if they don't figure this thing out pretty soon. With no further ado, I want to bring on our guest, because whereas Bill's Jets is a fascinating game, I think the game of the week is being played in Baltimore. It's Sunday, it's Commanders versus Ravens. It has been hyped as the Battle of the Beltway. CBS is sending their number one crew there in Jim Nantz and Tony Romo. And yet despite all this talk all this week about it being this great rivalry and this being, you know, a geographic war and a battle for land and fans, I don't know if I can get there on that. So I'm bringing in Scott Van Pelt as our guest to talk about the Ravens Commander's game and more specifically, is this a rivalry or not. We'll get to Scott into this. One of my favorite people in sports media, also one of the best at what he does both on Sports Center and now is the Monday night football studio show host, which I think is as good as anybody manning that desk, and he's doing such a wonderful job in the glow up of Monday night football in the last few years. But more than anything, this guy represents a geographical area in this country that I had to hit on with this Commander's Ravens battle with no further ado. Svp mi'ster Scott Van Pelt. Welcome to the season with Peter Shaker.
Speaker 2: Peter, thank you. I appreciate this question by a text was it's really really interesting thing. I'll let you explain that sort of what it is you're trying to get to, and then I'll try not to be long winded. But there's a lot of layers to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I think for the listeners and viewers of football who don't live in that market, they see Commanders versus Ravens and they say, oh, backyard brawl, and there's years and years of history to that, and those two franchises and their fans hate each other. But I've been watching football since the eighties. I also am married to a girl from Pikesville, Maryland whose family is Baltimore's sports through and through, and my father in law was a Colts fan forever. They moved the team and then adopted the Ravens. And I brought up, what do you make of like redskinstin Commanders and he's like, well, they're there, but it's not like this hated robbery like the Steelers and the Colts, And yet I talked to other fans of the Ravens and like, oh, we absolutely freaking hate the Commanders and we hate the fact that they think that there are something in our market. And there's all these geographical jerry mandering lines to it, and I'm like, I texted you last night, I'm like, can we just get to the bottom of this, Like, is this a rivalry? Is it not a rivalry? Is it a budding rivalry? Tell us where you grew up, where your fan allegiances were, and then like what to make of this being described by the Battle of the Built Way, But like they've only played seven times in franchise history.
Speaker 2: It's not a thing. It's not even a little bit of a thing. And I think there are a lot of reasons why, and for the people that are listening to this, if they're in Los Angeles or Chicago or Dallas or whatever, Like if you just look at the map. I always wondered, I don't have any insecurity about this, because I don't care if you do or you don't. But if you ask somebody out in Portland, Organ, he can you know where Maryland is on the map? Like I don't know. It's over there somewhere, like you know what I mean, Like I don't even know if we're kind of a weird shape. And there's anyway if you put pins on a map and you put Baltimore and Washington, they're real close. And so to your point, you're like, man, they got some history there. Not really, not really. And from a geographic standpoint, this area where I live, Okay, I live very close to Washington, d C. Just in the suburb outside of it. The area they call the DMV meaning District Maryland and Virginia, and it does not include Baltimore, and Baltimore is just fine with that. They're like, we don't need We're not part of that, we don't wish to be. They're their own thing. And when I was young, all right, I'm an Orioles fan. But that's because I was too young for the Senators but too old for the Nationals, and so there was no baseball here. Well, sure there was. It was in Baltimore. That was a drive. But what do I care. I'm a little kid. We go to Memorial Stadium. I was an oriol fan, still am an Oriole fan. Right, I reached a point where they were really bad, and then that's were really good. And if I wanted to, I suppose I could have just put on a new hat. But I don't know how you land with this, Peter. I'm an adult. It can't wait up one day and just put on a new hat. That's not how well this stuff works. Man. That's who you root for. I know Steve Busha, and he's joked with me. I think he might be a little bit serious. He's like, look, we got enough room for you up here if you want to, you know, switch allegiances and be a raven fan like Steeve. I admire your organization and you and how you guys do stuff. I think you're one of the model franchises. I can't do that. I gotta stay true to my team. And I think there is no Washington. I shouldn't say that. Maybe there are people, maybe this generation, because Washington people has been so bad for so long. You could have done the same thing I did with the Orioles, which is just sort of adopt that team up there. It would have been a hell of a lot easier to root for them. Recently, they've been really good and Washington has been really bad. But you made the point about how how they haven't played very often. I think Washington people feel like they don't even acknowledge Baltimore. Baltimore people probably have a little bit of like.
Speaker 1: Just one is an inferiority. But there's this like, all right, big DC shiny, we're blue collar, you know, Baltimore we work on the docks.
Speaker 2: Yes, And if Baltimore people feel like there's an there's an inferiority of complex from DC people, that's that's well, that's well earned rep. And so if Baltimore people have a little bit of rephew, I don't blame them. And that's always not kind of how I perceived it. But like I remember once as a little kid, It's a Monday night football game. It it was Colts Redskins, and there was a friend that asked me if I wanted to go, but they were Colts fans and they're like, listen, I don't wear any Redskins stuff. So I didn't and it but it wasn't like I felt some hostility or whatever else. It was just like they And that was enduring an era one when Baltimore had like Burt Jones and they were good and they were they were close, but they could never quite get over the hump. They had great Raiders teams and great Steelers teams in that era. It was hard anyway, There's there's a lot of just we keep to ourselves. You keep to yourselves, and we really don't. We don't mix much. But I think there's more to it, and I think really would have Wills down to is that. I believe the NFC East and I don't think there's an R even otherwise. It's the best division in the history of football. Every single team. Every single team has been to multiple Super Bowls. Every team has won multiple Super Bowls at least three, except for Philly, who has the one. But they've got the one. So there's enough hate Washington. People hate Dallas first, Yep, they certainly have hate for the Giants, and they the Philly thing. There's it's like, yeah, f you too. But that was never at least for me when I was little, was always Dallas, but then Washington, New York. There's plenty of hate there because rivalries, Peter have to be we take something from you that matters, and we prevent you from getting to something you want to get to. That's the only way rivalries are real. It can't just be we hate you, and do we have some inferiority complex because we wish we were you and we're not. That's not a rivalry. That's that's just hate. Rivalries are born out of Pittsburgh Baltimore. That's a rivalry and that's who Baltimore has. So I'm rambling now, but.
Speaker 1: I'm not nailed it because I'm I'm on the NFL network and we're calling it the Battle of the Beltway and we're showing these and it's like, oh, you know, geographical lines are drawn, take us through the history of it, so without dating yourself, the culture of the team. They do the Mayfiler, they move out in eighty three, the Redskins remain, they win, you know, all those Super Bowls in the time, you know, between John Riggins and then Mark Rippen and Doug Williams, and then the Ravens pop back into the scene in ninety six. So there's this like weird gap where there was no Baltimore football team, and I think an entire generation of you know, that region didn't even have to make a decision, right, No, it's true, and and that that would have been a timeframe.
Speaker 2: Where if Baltimore folks were on the mind to say, well, let's hop on board with the Redskins now commanders, Well, had it been, had that time overlapped with that decade where Washington went to four Super Bowls and won three, maybe some folks from up there might have been, but I don't think so, man. I mean this is they still have the Baltimore Colts marching band, Like, no, I didn't. They didn't. They never gave that up, And that's such am I allowed to cuts, Like, yeah, you beat me, that's such a up thing. You then got the Browns Like imagine if Washington lost the Redskins and then they got the Eagles, Like, I don't think twenty five year old people really congrasp just the depth of how messed up that is. But that's what happened. And then they name them something different. And now obviously the Ravens are again, I believe, one of the one of the really excellent franchises in the sport. But I don't think there was much bleed. I don't think there was much like sort of people didn't migrate south to root for Washington because Washington reached that point, you know, post Jack can't cook, and post all those Super Bowls where they've been kind of a drift ever since. So in the way that I was an oriole fan, I don't feel like Baltimore people ever became Washington football fans. And then they got the they got the Ravens back, and then pretty quickly they became a really an excellent franchise and they've obviously won some Super Bowls and whatever else.
Speaker 3: So having said all that, this week is really well, that's what I was gonna say, Like that takes the stinger out of like the history, but like do we need history, because let's just start now and you've got, yeah, two of the best teams in football with probably the two most.
Speaker 1: Entertaining quarterbacks in the league. It's like, don't worry about it because I've already like seen like pieces being like this market and these two teams and they're both are living within forty five and I'm like, I don't think you do the rich history of this. I think you start now and say this could be really cool over the next twenty years.
Speaker 2: You could do the rich history that's real. Washington has it. It's dusty, but it's there. Baltimore has it. It's more recent. So I mean, you could talk about franchises that have had moments of high achievement and that Baltimore is living in a time where they're feel awful close to adding to it. But the idea is that they were ever in each other's way, or ever had this game for each other, or ever played in games that were particularly meaningful. None of that's true. This week is the best game on the schedule. And the fact that Jayden, I know his favorite player is the quarterback for Baltimore.
Speaker 1: He has he downplayed it this week, but I remember all the stuff in the combine, like this guy grew up wanting to be Lamar Jack, which is pretty cool. I like that he downplayed it.
Speaker 2: Also, now what, I think that's clever. Don't don't don't don't let things be bigger than they need to be. I believe that that's a guy he has great affinity for. And by the way, why wouldn't he. Lamar is an incredible player who can He's five through five weeks, he's got better numbers than he had last year. But I thought about that the other night. I thought, you know, last year, halfway through the year, we're like who's the MVP, right, There wasn't an obvious guy. So the fact that Lamar's numbers are better, I think it's just, look, he's a great player. We all understand that. Is Jade Daniels a great player. I don't know up. I mean, we don't have to know the answer to that. But everything Peter that I was told about him in the off season by people that I know, they're within the organization, that he was a guy that commanded the room, had great confidence, but not not a hint of arrogance, just wowed everyone with how he carried himself. And that's before he played a game. I heard all that. But the easiest thing in the world to do is to sell optimism in the off season. Everybody does it. So I'm like, all right, let's see it. And then they beat the Giants. But I gave I gave Clip a bunch of I'm like, hey, how about a touchdown? How about that? And he was like, can't we got to figure some reto stuff out. Well, then they go to Cincinnati and you're like, you're gonna You're gonna trust the dude on a fourth and flour with a five point lead. Yes, You're gonna end zero and like, you dropped that out of the sky. My boy stand for Steve asked me on our part, He's like, what was more impressive the catcher to throw? I was like, the catch was thick, but he's getting blasted and throws that ball exactly in the only place that it could be. I thought that was incredible. And then he stacks another win at Arizona, which at that point I'm like, I don know what Arizona is. Well, then they go beat San Francisco, so you're like, at some point, I'm going to stop trying to diminish it and just say they've won, no doubt. They won four in a row for the first time in since two thousand and eight or something like that. But this week doesn't have to be a rivalry game. It's just this is a test. This is a moment for Washington. Jade Daniels. You go up north and share the field for sixty minutes with one of the real bullies in this league, and see what you got. And if they win, it doesn't mean they're going to the super Bowl. And if they lose, it doesn't mean they stuck. But I do think mid October chance to see what you're working with. You couldn't ask for a whole lot more if you're Washington and you the bandwagon is already reving back up down there.
Speaker 1: Peter, I love it, and it's you know, I obviously I speak with Cliff as well, but Adam Peters is a pala mine and we spent a lot of time together this summer. And when he was talking about building the roster, it was they started with all these veterans. They knew they were drafting a quarterback. They didn't know if it was going to be Mayor Daniels based on how it fell. But they went into the whole thing and they're like, all right, we're gonna bring in you know, Austin Eckler and Zach Ertz and Bobby Wagner and Frankie Luvo and then Marcus Mariota. Now, originally I don't know if this has been reported, but they were hot on Darnald. Darnald signs with the Vikings. They pivoted. They're like, all right, Mariota is a nice backup plan for whoever this young quarterback is. It's almost like they built this thing to make sure there at least were those veteran voices for Jaden, and then Jaden got there and you know all the stories that I know, like it's there at four am and doesn't leave, and it's he's the team leader despite all those veterans.
Speaker 2: And it's been from the jump. It's been a consistent, mature approach. And you see it on the field. The poise, the fact that he's unhurried and unbothered. That's rare, really really rare. Jerry McLaurin came in studio with us. I think it must have been about May. It was around it. It was during the time of camp, and he was you know, you get the on air Terry who's awesome, and then you get the offerer who's just as awesome. But he was not. He wasn't bs and insane. Hey, it's really he's like, gave you like that that earnest, big eyed like telling you like this, dude's impressive and I think the world of Terry. He's going to be so good at this whenever he's done. Obviously he's a young man, he's got a ton of runway in front of him. But he's just the way he spoke. I was like, okay, but listen, as a guy that was lucky enough to enjoy those years of greatness with Gibbs at all. It's going to take more than a guy saying something in may to get me even remotely accepted. I mean, there's a little scar tissue here, Charlie Brown running up to kick the football. I don't think there's a ton of that around here. But that Monday, even even that giant one, I'm like, all right, okay, But then the Monday night, you didn't have to squint hard to see it. Man, it was right there in front of you. Was really obvious that when when the game was there to be one, and our guys on countdown make this point all the time. Like the reason these guys get paid the money, the reason Mahomes is worth every dollar he gets is if there's a chance to win the game, he's gonna win the game, period. Like so many games are coin flip games. You've got to be great in those moments. Kirk Cousins has been great in those moments. He's last two for them, Well, in that moment the game is there to be one, he was great. And against Cleveland, I never got to a moment because Cleveland that's a whole other story. It's it's there's just a in five games, there's enough layers where you're like, I think about I might be laced enough to shoes to go kick the football here, Peter, you might laugh at me. By by Halloween or Thanksgiving, you might be going, hey, remember, how's the football kick going? Man? I'll be like what he wants?
Speaker 1: And then you tip your cap. You tip your cap to Lucy and you say.
Speaker 2: Hey, I fell for Did you know that, Lucy? And I did not know that. Yeah, it was a big deal. When I was little, I thought that was really cool.
Speaker 1: Well, signature show's on the bottom. I like that. That's good. All right, we're gonna wrap this is so good real quick. You're coming to my town on Monday night, or at least the game is. I don't know, are you guys going to be on site, because this is this is some week here in New York.
Speaker 2: We just before I hopped on with you, we had like a zoom for countdown and hey, I left early because I was coming to talk to you. I said, you guys, let me know what we're gonna take you out.
Speaker 1: We're promoting the game, we're promoting the show.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Uh. It was one of those ones that when the schedule comes out, you go, that's a good one, and now you go, oh, well, what do we have here? Man? The fact that the fact that there is a change in at the OC, the play call is going to be different where Salah was supposedly going to go for Hackett, then he gets us, and then of course Aaron goes on with Paton like wasn't me, And whether he was or he wasn't, like, it's just he's been given the autonomy and the buy in where it's going to be hard for people to just believe that he doesn't have any input that it doesn't matter as much as the fact that I'm interested in Jason and Ryan and Marcus's perspective as players. When Woody Johnson does this, now it's on all the players to make it the right decision. It's on you to go make this look like it wasn't just a catastrophic knee jerk reaction. That's legitimately fascinating because of the city you're in, because of the quarterback, and because it's a franchise that's starving for a moment. But then sometimes with these Monday night games. You know, maybe you have one side that's interesting. In the other it's like, well, now you got Buffalo and two Mondays two Mondays ago, Josh Allen's got five touchdowns and a half four passing touchdowns. They look like a video game. Then they places Baltimore and Houston. It's like, yike, what are we doing here? If they lose this game? They've losted three in a row, and the Jets are in first place in the AFC East and we it's on, so we don't have any shortage of storylines. And I think we're just you know how this gets in and you live it. We're gonna have to remind ourselves not to go so crazy on the Jets talk that we leave ourselves no down to Buffalo, which is equally as interesting, and it's hard. You got to police yourself. You got to try to make sure that we have a rundown and we don't just rip it up and throw it out the window. But yeah, man, it's going to be a legitimately fascinating sort of next couple of weeks in New York City with with Aaron and the Jets and equally so with Buffalo. So we'll we'll see you Monday night.
Speaker 1: You were talking about the ethos of the commander's fan and you know, putting yourself in those shoes and wanting to believe Jets fan. It has been so fun to track it. So everyone wanted him fired after the Denver game, sala he doesn't get fired. Then everyone him fired after the Vikings team and they actually fire him, and the fans are upset that they actually fired him, and it's what.
Speaker 2: You gotta whack him? You're gonna whack the guy you didn't whack hom tight What are we doing exactly that?
Speaker 1: And then it's why isn't Hackett fire? Well, the hacker is the motive. And now you've got You've got you know Downing who's gonna be calling plays? And Todd Downing I've known him many years. I go back many years for Todd. Great dude, and I'm wishing him the best. But he's not Bill Walsh either. But all the fans are like, all right, that's solved, and now it's we heading towards the weekend. Jets fans are like, oh, if we win this game, we've got the fifth easiest schedule in the league. We've got ten games on the East Coast and they're like, we're hosting a playoff game again, and it's like so good to just watch it, and it's it's the life of being a football fan. It's so good.
Speaker 2: Football is uniquely constructed or and I think people can live through this from the fantasy lens, right, your team thinks, but then it's like waivers. Maybe you get a guy and you start looking at your line up being like, we win this. We're all right, you got your little fantasy lens like that. But then when it comes to the far more important, at least to me, actual on field thing with your team, you talk yourself out of it, you talk yourself into it. But this isn't this isn't make the lead, Peter. If they win, then they're three and three and Buffalo's suddenly on a backslide, and all of a sudden, the world looks different. But it's wild, right, get rid of the guy whack the bum than they do, and everyone's like, let us not do anything, rash Man. It's uh, it's luckily for you and I we're in the we're in the content business, and this nobody, never ending machine that generates stuff for us to uh to chew on.
Speaker 1: Uh, we're gonna wrap here. I'll just say and I mean this obviously, I've been such a big fan of your work on Sports Center and of course with Risillo and then The Masters and now the Late night Sports Center. But I meant at what I said in the build up. I have the utmost respect for these studio hosts and these point guards. I work with a great one in Carissa on Sundays, and I love Menafe, and I love James Brown, and think Maria Taylor does a wonderful job, and we can go down the list. I think the work you do on Monday nights is so good and it's so valuable sitting the table, and then the work you guys do at halftime in post game to wrap up the week. It's it's just really appreciated from here. I think you're as good as anyone who's doing it. Man, thank you.
Speaker 2: That's really really kind. I uh, you know, I you know what I think I think about our business. And I tried to stay this Peter to make it clear, like whether it's you or Kyle. By the way, hold on a second.
Speaker 1: Do you have a sceptor. I know he gave you that one and he shared treasures the fact you do. I love that. Yes, that is an angry run scepter. It's one of our favorite sets given.
Speaker 2: Out well, and he gave me one at the Pro Bowl last year, just as I think as a shout out. Because like on Sports Center, I will say, Man, you know, it looks like I said, it looks like an anger, I said, but I'll leave at the Kyle. That's his segment, and of course he puts it in the segment thing, it's the mess segment. But but but the point I'm trying to get to is here, I think in our business, like your your your kindness here is just so appreciated. And I think that largely we all kind of like each other and support each other. I mean, it's it's like school that do we all love everybody? Maybe not, But I don't think there's a whole lot of competitive like hatred or anything like that. I think mostly I consume stuff I like. I try to be a supportive publicly about the stuff that I like, and like the Good Morning Football. I'm so thrilled that it all worked out. I get there's a lot of moving pieces there, but the good works, good work, and and people to treat this like the way I think you approach it, I know the way I approach it. It's supposed to be fun. Yeah, it's kind of the last thing we've got. Man's so much bullsh hate and all the.
Speaker 1: Today this morning guys are in Yankees hats, Galzer and Mets at the Knicks one the Rangers. One's like it's and it's like, Okay, I know the elections coming up in this whole world might go up into flames and everyone's going to be angry at each other. But for today, it's cool here in New York. This looks good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm about to add but what about the Mets? I mean, are you kidding? Even Lindora, like if it could I ever be as cool in my life as him rounding first base after he gets that, like not.
Speaker 1: Even smiling, just like I couldn't believe it's that. But he's usually a hype guy. He was so chill.
Speaker 2: That's when you're in the matrix, bro, and everything has slowed down, and like you you just you're just bending your way beyond grabbing them. There is a.
Speaker 1: Parallel here a little bit. We have this rich money guy Steve Cohen now owning the Mets, and there's a lot of skepticism the first couple of years. But like the new ownership, it's a whole new spin on things. I feel like the commander is like it's whether or not the owner play is a huge role or not. Like at least there's just fresh breath and fresh eyes and a fresh face to look at in that owners suite.
Speaker 2: No place needed a reset button push like the Washington football situation. Nobody needed it worse. I get met fans. You can talk yourself into the year situation. Nothing was quite as toxic and debilitating as the Snyder ownership was here because it came on the heels of real greatness. So you know it was. It was. But I get what you're saying, and listen. If you're a Mets fan, I'm psyched for you. You got to be happy, man, and you've been riding this incredible rollercoaster and it's whatever I'm getting off the path. I appreciate your kindness. You do great stuff. I think you know. Being able to say thanks to you and come want to do this is good fun. Shout to my guy Kyle. I got the stepter right here. It goes red and then it goes green. I like the red. I think the red really looks really angry when it's red. My kids it's but the thing is it's like it's like an actual forged piece of metal, and my child gets it and it's good, dangerous, bad because someone's gonna get hit in the head.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we got real quick. I do love the pod you're doing for Omaha, can you plug that a little bit and I'll come on anytime you in Stanford Sea to watch me. I think you guys are going not just for the audio world. We're in our podcast world. Where do we find yours.
Speaker 2: Sv pod wherever Apple Spotify, the places where it is. I mean, look, the world doesn't need more but the one thing that And there are some friends of mine that are in that Saturday night space. I just there aren't a ton of them where what Steve and I are doing is post Saturday night. And I started taping at two forty am last Saturday night after the Miami Calcia. We got we got flag games real early Sunday. Not the best way to start your week on like two hours sleep. Yeah, and then we're just doing wrap ups after Monday night. We do them on Tuesday's SPoD me and Stafford Steve. You know what it's like. You got a guy that you work with, somebody that have a great sort of connection and fun and we're not pretending like it's important conversation, but we do enjoy it. So if people are looking for another thing to waste thirty or forty five minutes of your life, there you go, sp Pod and Omaha. If I can be serious, the Omaha folks have been really, really awesome. They put a lot a lot of a lot of sort of sweat equity in behind the teams, and we're grateful for all them done to help.
Speaker 1: Us, no doubt. Scott Empel, I cannot wait to watch you on Monday night and I cannot wait to see how this one Sunday plays out. Thanks for joining us the most. You're the busiest guy in sports TV and you took some time out of a production meeting to go sit with my ass. I appreciate it, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, keep doing your thing. You guys are awesome and you know where to find me anytime.
Speaker 1: Thank you. SVP awesome. As always, SVP was awesome. I'm going to bring on my wonderful producer and cohort here in New York City, mister Aaron oon Kaufman, Aaron, I could ask you about the sputtering Bills, that's your team, but I don't care too. In fact, I'm more interested on your thoughts on SVP going in on the rivalry. That wasn't I love it.
Speaker 4: I love him talking about his childhood with it and everyone there and why they supported different teams and why they didn't migrate down south to go support the Washington and you know him talking about like being a man at a time like he was what he said, he was too young for the Senators.
Speaker 1: We're too old to become a national stands right, ols and my team.
Speaker 4: And I understand that. Like growing up, I grew up in Connecticut, we had the Huskies obviously with Yukon, and we had the Whalers for like the y.
Speaker 1: Did you become a Carolina Hurricanes fan or you were like screw them when they No? No, I was barely a Whalers fan to be fair too. So yeah, really good. I mean I wasn't blowing smoke up as well. I think he does a really nice job as a host of one of those shows, and it's not easy I watched Churissa doing it on Amazon and on Fox. I think she's as good as anyone. I love Menafee and I love James Brown. I don't know Maria Taylor well enough to you know, voice her, but she does a fine job and she's new at it. But like SVP, running Point as good as anybody that I see. And it's a pleasure to talk to him. That guy lives in Breed Sports and has always been very cool to me. The season with Peter Sugger is always delivering, and we deliver results, presented by uber eats, and it's time for delivering results. The award we give out every single week, presented by our friends at uber eats. And the player that I want to shut it out this week is no other than Lamar Jackson. As everyone's focusing on Jaden Daniels, Lamar Jackson is like, hey, I'm the reigning MVP and I'm still as good as ever. Lamar was down ten points in the fourth quarter against a team that couldn't be stopped, and yet he's still found a way. Stiff farming Sam Hubbard, falling off one leg, dropping the ball, and still throwing the touchdown pass to Isaiah Likely and then did everything he possibly could to make sure that his Ravens team found a way to get out of Cincinnati with a win. Lamar is the MVP, and yet as we head towards this game, I feel like he's the second story when it comes to the quarterbacks. Then, because everyone's hyping up Jayden Daniels. We'll see how it goes. They play one o'clock Eastern on Sunday, and I'll tell you Uber Eats. I told a whole long story about them last week. I have no such story this week. I didn't get any Uber eats this week, but I'm excited to do it the next time. I'm out in LA. And you know what, as I'm watching the Mets and the Yankees and the Liberty and the Knicks and the Rangers, I'm like Uber Eats tonight. That was delivering results presented by our friends of Uber Eats, where you can get the best deals on Game today food all season long. They are the official on the men delivery partner of the NFL Order. Now we're rapping here. Good week of football. I didn't even talk about Lions, Cowboys. That's a great one. Steelers has a feeling of desperation to it, and of course Eagles Browns. You're talking about an Eagles team coming out of the buy. What can they do? A ton of good football this weekend. All eyes on that Monday nighter and all eyes at that one o'clock start, Commanders versus Ravens. Many thanks to Scott Van Pelt, to Jason English, to Aaron wan Kaufman, and to all of you who listen till next week. This is the Season with Peter Schrager. The Season with Peter Schrager is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts.