Speaker 1: Look out, you're shown the films to be betted with. Hello, and welcome to Films to be buried with. My name is Brett Galstein. I'm a comedian and actor, a writer director at CRISP, and I love films. As Albert Schweitzer once said, there are two means of refuge from the misery of life, music and cats. Oh three if you count the Jungle Book. I'd say that list could be a bit longer, But thank you Albert for contributing to this week's show. Every week special guest over, I tell them they've died, then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant the most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Jimez Patel, Mark Frost, Sharon Stone, Jamila Jamil and even Bled Clambles. But this week it's the Excellent, the Wonderful, the Amazing is mister Sam Richardson. You can watch all of Shrinking on Apple tv Plus and all of Ted Lasso seasons one to three starring Sam richards also on Apple tv Plus. Watch all of it, love all of it, have a nice time. Thank you very much. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com. Forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get an extra twenty minutes weird Sam, We talk about a secret, we talk about beginnings and endings of films. You get the whole episode, uncut and ad free and as a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com. Forward slash Brett Goldstein. So Sam Richardson is a incredible actor. You know him from your favorite shows, Detroit's Veep Ted Lasso. I think you should leave. He's also in the upcoming season two of The Brilliant after Party. He's a movie star, he's a producer, he's an all round absolute legend and a bloody hero. We recorded this on Zoom a couple of weeks ago, and he's a fucking enjoy I really think you're gonna like this one. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode two hundred and fifty three of Films to be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is I Brett Goldstein, and I enjoined today by an actor, a writer, a comedian, an improvisor, a detroitter.
Speaker 2: A second citier, question mark correct, a correct tora, a film star, a TV star, a Edwin Nikufua, a star of stage and screen and of all our hearts, and currently in my favorite comedy show.
Speaker 1: He's here, He's here, he's here. Please, as his famous song goes, he's here, he's here, he's here. He's one of the all time greats, an absolute legend. I can't believe he's here, could you? Well, he's here, he's here, he's here. Please, welcome to the show. It's so wonderful. It's Sam Ridge, is it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Trulie, that's the greatest intro I've ever heard. Let alone be given you, Sam Richardson, I'm so good. I'm so good, my friend.
Speaker 1: What we've discovered, for those of you who are listening on audio and not watching on video is both Samini, who Sam, as you may know, has the reputation is like, you know, one of the loveliest men in the world. Both of us have a blood background which suggests serial killers, and that's serialsow.
Speaker 4: We will keep it exactly.
Speaker 3: You'll never know until it's too late, just blank walls or plastic on the floor.
Speaker 1: This is how I like to think of people in my life. There are people who are in focus and at some point once I've dealt with them, they will be a blood background. Yeah yeah, now, Sam Richardson, so much to talk about. Okay, let's deal with you as a human beings, shall we. Okay, yeah, I'm about to bring the hammer down now. I was very grateful, and this is not me like name dropping, but I was very grateful to be invited to your twenty first birthday last year. And what I thought at that at that birthday is you know in Muppet Christmas Carol, when Scrooge at the end, he sings and if you want to take the measure of a man, you simply count as friends. And I don't think he's talking about numbers. I think he's talking about the quality of his friends. You add lots of people at your party, but the loveliest people. Everyone there was so lovely, and I thought it speaks very highly of you that not any of there are lots of people here, but these are all good people here. I think that's either you're the exception to that rule, or that says something very nice for you. But then I also wanted a lot of them improvisers, and I was like, is it improvises a good paper discuss?
Speaker 3: I think, you know, I think so I think it's but I I uh a lot of my friends. My girlfriend is talk about like how my my friends. I take pride in having like really good people as friends because I don't I don't like to play lack of a better term, like shade games where I can't trust somebody. So you know, I keep my friends for a long time and like having a party, Like whenever I have a birthday party, it's so nice to see all my friends together because I'm like, oh, yeah, you're a person I love very much, and you're a person I love very much, and you're a person I love very much, and I think you guys will love each other and or you're already friends. I think improvisers can can. I'm not going to sit here and say that every improviser is the greatest person.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 3: But I think the nature of improv kind of leads itself to that because you have to be to be a good adproviser, you have to be open and like willing to take something and grow with it and play with that. So it's it's a natural, really friendly interaction. You know, you get close to people very quickly because you you don't form an ensemble like in an instant to then mix stuff up or without a net, and also like with the other librizs as we have like a shorthand about comedies so we can all know stupids and then like kind of get out of it and more bits or annoy everybody else around you, unless it about around you is also invited.
Speaker 1: It was a bit fast. Yes, tell me, you are very very busy. You're in everything you start and everything. You're very successful, You're brilliant. How do you keep your ego in check? Like how do you stay the man you seem to have always been when you are a big Hollywood movie star and you know there's a lot of politics to all this stuff and all that. How do you keep your sanity I suppose and all of it? Do you have a secret or is it just you?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I think to a degree it is like just how I process.
Speaker 3: Information and how I how I am, Like I'm pretty naturally kind of buoyant and not to say bubbly, but boyant, like I can like stay sort of pull it above thing even like in sort of like troubling times or like I very rarely get like truly mad, and like I mean, I get mad, but I really get like I've maybe yelled at someone maybe a handful of times, you know, one of them being like yesterday I yelled at somebody that's so rare. I'll put I'll put on a best Buy Okay, a lot of.
Speaker 4: TV years ago.
Speaker 3: But I got the protection plan, uh, you know, the total care package. So like if something goes wrong, you know, they repair it, they come and then they replace.
Speaker 4: You plan to protect it.
Speaker 3: You know, you pay a little bonus and the minutes and the ideas of insurance and it might be even sucker insurance.
Speaker 4: But I'm like, hey, things break.
Speaker 3: So then my TV goes out, and so I'm like I call and have them come to repair the TV. They repair it once, then it breaks again, repair twice, another foul. Then okay, well now we can junk this out so we can replace this TV for you. So I get the replacement order thing. I'm like, okay, great, Uh, they're like approved, go into the store.
Speaker 4: They'll help to swap out. Fine. So I go into the store and there's just like dude and he is like.
Speaker 3: Your typical like out of the box like a salesman, you know what I mean, Like a car salesman.
Speaker 4: Salesman, you know, he rolled up.
Speaker 3: Sleeves, slacks, glass, like I'm nothing against bald and but you know, it's all part of the costume. And he's like, oh, I was trying to try to I've built this guy before. He's always like trying to upsell on something. But I was like, oh, well, I've got this junk out thing. It's like, oh, well, we don't take care of it here. It's at the front desk of best Buy. And at best Buy there's Magnolia Center, which is for like the nice TV stuff and it's the best Buy, a proper okay, so they're like, take care of this, it best by it.
Speaker 4: So I go to So I'll go to the best By kind of like oh, we don't have that here. It's gotta be a Magnolion. So I go.
Speaker 3: He's like I don't see it, and like just I'm waiting for like literally an hour for this guy to like do the thing, to look it up me, like I can tell you he's not doing.
Speaker 4: I'm like, all right, well, what's what's what's happening here?
Speaker 3: So okay, Well it turns out like we're not I can find out so it's probably gonna be like a couple of days we'll find this thing. So I'm like, all right, well why they make me drive out here directly? So I go home and I'm like he's like, yeall, give me give me your number so you know i'll call you when it gets fixed. So I'm like texting him two days later, Hey, anything going on? Now it's the weekend, holiday weekend, so I'm like, okay, a couple days and half of the week I'm like, hey, what's up. Nothing I call. I'm not seeing it. So now we're like two weeks out. I don't have a TV on my wall, so I bought I bought another TV and I was like, well, i'll return this when the other one comes through. Maybe three days ago, I call Magnolia. I'm like, hey, what's to deal with this? They're like, oh, no way, put this paperwork tip tap done. So I'm done within five minutes. And so yesterday I go in and I'm like in the best Buy and I'm walking and I see him see me and like try and like zoom around, and so he goes to the back and I'm like just what, I'm like kailing him, like like a secret agent, you know what. I like going to this thing and I see where he goes. And then somebody comes up and it's like, hey, can I help you? And I'm like, oh, yeah, it's Peter here.
Speaker 4: And he's like.
Speaker 3: The guy's like, oh, I don't know. I don't I don't know if he's ended it, like I saw him, he's here. Can you tell him I'm here? And so then like they send up two other guys are like, hey, what's the problem, Like, oh, y'all know. Finally, in the middle of the transaction, Peters like, hey, what's going on here? Oh, let me see if the things come through. I'm like, it's come through. Here's the thing. Just to make it happen, it's like, all right, like an issue rebund it has to be gift cards, and we can't do more than a TV TV.
Speaker 4: He's like, oh, big TV. So it was like three thousand dollars. I can only do like two.
Speaker 1: Thousand dollars a day. I'm like, what are you talking about.
Speaker 3: I'm like this, you have the TV's here, give me one from there today. And he's like and he's like a still law. I'm like, I like literally say, I'm like look, I don't get mad about a lot of stuff, and I'm saying, full voiced, I'm getting mad about a lot, but this is making me very mad.
Speaker 4: You need to correct this.
Speaker 3: And and like you can tell like everybody starts to get like a little nervous. I'm like, oh, I don't like to do that either, but like sometimes at some point you gotta like really seriously.
Speaker 1: So like everybody's like kind of like, oh, this is and.
Speaker 3: He starts talking to me about like movies like oh houses, the writer strike. I'm like, bro, this is your connection. A hell of a lot harder without a TV to like kind of entertain myself with. So then like so they may issue me two thousands of gift cards. I gotta go there today to get the rest. But man, I screamed at this guy and the story the only time, and like it's always like tech guys like I had. I'm sorry, I'm on a whole run About times I screamed.
Speaker 1: Well, keep guying, but I love well, I love about that guy is at the beginning of the story. You got I've had runnings with this guy before. I love that this guy that he really he really is.
Speaker 4: And another time I got my house.
Speaker 3: I got it wired for internet, put in you know, sound system and security camps. I was like, I know the security cams that I want. I was like, get these and put these security cams and do the install. So then I come to see the install. He's put in these different cameras and I'm like, what are these? I told you what I wanted. He's like, oh, no, this is better. This is this is what I was like, Well, no, I asked you for something very specific. And then he's just like like trying to like like talk through and I'm like, then I'm in my living room and I'm yelling at this guy like he's a twelve year old who you know what i mean? Got into an R rated movie anyway, These these are very short and like not really not really like a fight fight, but that's the extent of like when I get upset, you know.
Speaker 1: He'll take it out and I talking about the whole world.
Speaker 4: This guy, this guy got all Black Lives Matter just from TV.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, yeah, it's really fascinating. But you but how do you handle yourself? Like I'm sure it's happened in your life. Have you been on a set way you know, you haven't liked what's going on on the set, or you're being us to do something you don't want to do, or it's got to get a direction and you don't like it. Are you good at handling that sort of stuff or do you just do it very nicely?
Speaker 3: I think I am, because i think I've got a pretty good bedside manner. If I'm like dealing with something directly with another actor or whatever, I think I'm pretty good at being like, hey, this is kind of weird and why are we doing this for the most part, or I don't have a problem like going to the macro view and being like, hey, either director or producer, like this is a situation, this is how I feel right now, this is where I see it's going. This is what I'm doing to correct it. But know that point A is when to come, point B is going to come. Point C, and so I'm letting you know because like we're a point A, I'm going to bring this up again, we're at point B. So no that I've said point where point C is going to be. So I'm very like matter of fact with that. But I'm also you know, I'm I'm incredibly patient, So I you know, I can see things through, but I have maybe two a fault patients because I think all so many things are impermanent.
Speaker 1: That's so interesting that And what about and you've been producing your own stuff now you made were Wolf yourself.
Speaker 4: Made were Wolves Within.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was a producer on that, and it was that your first film? Thank you as a producer. Yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's like my first like really like like full all like leading role in movie too.
Speaker 1: I mean I've done well. I've done another couple.
Speaker 3: Of things where I was like believe, but like that was like Top Marquee is like my first thing.
Speaker 4: I had a really great time with that.
Speaker 3: Josh Rubin directed that, and they do with Milana Advenab and uh, it was like such a fun movie. Like we shut that maybe two like maybe like a month, like three weeks in the Catskills and like while we're filming that movie, it's like it's it's a horror movie comedy, but like as we're filming that, a real horror movie is happening in the background because we're in this remote thing and the TV like in a zombie movie. Yeah, there's like, oh, COVID cases are in China and like in the beginning of the movie, and then as we get further it's like, oh, one case found in America. Okay Trump, Oh it's only eight but that's it. We're fixing it. And like this as the movie goes on, like this is happening in the background, and like it starts to explode when we come so and we're remote from everything. It's when they come back home things and we're in a cabin, like so they come back home, like everything's kind of different, Like it really started to take hold. I was going to do press for this other movie I did called Hooking Up, and right before, like after our first I think, we did KTLA and then everything shut down. There's no more press than or anything. So it went from a movie that was going to theaters to like on demand. That was the first one of that for me.
Speaker 4: And it's like everything changed right then in making that movie. It was wild Man, and.
Speaker 1: I saw that film. I think I saw that film Hotel, and I remember being like, this is a cinema movie, like it's a real I felt sad few that COVID happened because it was like, oh, this is like a big screen, this is like a proper cinema fun horror comedy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I never got to see it in a theater.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. They'll do it. They'll do a retrospective season at the BFI of your your work, and you'll.
Speaker 4: Get see it. That's all I asked.
Speaker 1: That's all Zey asked, retrospect me. You know what I mean. My one other question for you, did you do cruise ship improv? I did?
Speaker 4: I did Second City.
Speaker 1: I'm obsessed with cruise ship entertainment. Please tell me how long you were and the experience of that and what it's like.
Speaker 3: It was what So I worked, so working in Second City or at Second City, we had a contract on cruise ships so we would go on the Norwegian Cruise line. So I was I was living in Detroit, and I was like trying to to work in Chicago.
Speaker 4: So I was living into Detroit.
Speaker 3: Working at Second City in Detroit, and I was trying to get a job at Second Seed in Chicago, and h you know, I was like and then they're like, hey, do you want.
Speaker 4: To do a cruise ship? So it's like, oh, yes, I do.
Speaker 3: And I was like twenty two twenty one, like during twenty two years old go and live on this cruise ship for essentially in total, I did a year five months, came home for a month and a half, and then another five months on the Norwegian Pearl.
Speaker 1: Where is the Crazy Guy?
Speaker 3: So I went through the Caribbean, So we went to like to Saint Lucia and Tortola and Somanna and osam Mel. You know, it was wow because I was like so young relatively speaking, because I'm only twenty three now.
Speaker 1: Yeah years yeah, yes, right, yeah, those years I got.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got well, I'm kind of you know, whis for my age, like I live in a old man h But it was a wild time because when I was on there, we only were for like four hours a week because we were these guests entertainers, so we had we did two best of Second City shows, which are an hour long, and then two improv shows at the end of the week, so each an hour long, and then maybe you would.
Speaker 4: Do a workshop four hours. That's five hours total.
Speaker 3: The rest of the time, I was just like on vacation, you know what I mean, I'm going all these places. I'm twenty two, I'm drinking like I'm on vacation and like, so every week on the ship had like like a sort of a cadence. You know, you'd get used to the like sort of the rhythm of how things went. So on Sunday you'd get into port, like we were reporting in.
Speaker 4: New York, we'd get to like New York.
Speaker 3: Passengers would get off from the week before, a bunch of new passengers would get on this thing. And this is like a huge ship you're talking about, like, you know, thirty five hundred people on this ship, three thousand people. So you know, the first day, you know, I've spent the day in New York, so I'm feeling very metropolitan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm coming into the out of.
Speaker 3: The ship with my new stuff like whatever. I went to the Virgin record store. So you come in and everybody it's like a fun celebration.
Speaker 4: Everybody's like on the all these people are new to the ship.
Speaker 3: They're kind of like all film things out. So you go and you chill up in the lounge a little bit, having a drink. But then you kind of go and you hide away in the crew areas, and in the next day people are like a little bit wobbly footed. That's the time when the people who had we had what was called blue card access, so we.
Speaker 4: Could do passenger and crew things.
Speaker 3: So during that Monday, we go to the restaurants and all you could eat twenty dollars steakhouse, you know, all you could eat fifteen dollars sushi.
Speaker 1: But doing that yum yum, and then you sorry. I have many of you in this.
Speaker 4: In the group.
Speaker 3: There's five actors and the music director who like playing Fianda all the stuff. So like, you know, we you know, we're family, and then Tuesday comes in. One run of Tuesday would come in. We would like go to the first island so that we'd be on like in Barbados, you know, and then Wednesday we'd have our show and all of a sudden you're a celebrity on the ship. Everybody in the ship then knows you, you know, so they're like, hey man, do.
Speaker 1: That block doll thing?
Speaker 4: This one?
Speaker 1: Do that? Hey do that? Oh you should come and live in my basement.
Speaker 3: That would say that so often, like we have a nice we have a nice finished house in Wisconsin.
Speaker 4: You come and live here. I'm like, what what do you think?
Speaker 1: Are you rescuing me? What will I do there?
Speaker 4: How nice of a basement?
Speaker 3: Like that the most money I've ever made, because which is like, you know, nine hundred dollars a week. So I'm like, I'm rich, you know, no expenses, just you know, food, just kind of like drinks and if you're drinking up in the passing your area, the drinks are expensive. But I'm also twenty to twenty one and just drinking like I'm in college, because I college, you know, and so I'm I'm.
Speaker 4: Living it up.
Speaker 3: And then at the end of my five month contract, I made no money because I spent it all. So then I had to go to another contract and then lived that life again, and then I moved to Chicago. They hired me to the touring company.
Speaker 1: Okay, take you follow up questions. One are you still in touch with the five plaster musical director? The other four that you were.
Speaker 3: Not really you know, we talked to I do well, I nowhere four of the five are.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good.
Speaker 3: And then in the other half. So two different contracts with two different groups. So the other one, I was on the ship with my friend Sean Hanlin, who like one of my first ever improv team. He was my actual first impropt teacher when I was sixteen, years old. And then we gave roommates on the cruise ship, so I see him all the time. Yeah, so I so I see them more often I see the first group, but still friends. We're all still friends.
Speaker 1: That's nice. And then the other question is how many passengers did you date the year?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, so you weren't supposed to date passengers, but they couldn't say what you could and couldn't do on like the land and like you need to hang out because like it's up many hand I say, a.
Speaker 1: Handful, many, many handfuls, Okay, many for you. I want to ask you, let's tell many other things. But I also think I've probably got to tell you this thing which I forgot to tell you. What's that? Oh? The thing is, Sam, I forgot to tell you this. I should have probably said it earlier.
Speaker 4: Say what's up? Open book?
Speaker 1: Like I said, you sure, because you seem you know we've said this about like you're very yes and and supportive and you've got my back up your back. So whatever I say.
Speaker 4: I am unflappable. Whatever whatever you say, trust me.
Speaker 1: You're this guy, You're gonna be fine with it. Well before I say, I guess do you do you like life and stuff? You seemed like a happy choice.
Speaker 4: Love it? Maybe favorite thing?
Speaker 1: Right? Okay? Well yeah, I mean you've had listen, you've had an awful lot of yes and training and support the idea. I suppose, as they say, you know, sure, yeah, I actually think this is going to go fine. So I'll just say it. What's your favorite thing? Again? What did the thing you like most of them?
Speaker 4: Life? And living and living this life? That?
Speaker 1: Okay? Well, according to this, I wish I hadn't asked you what your favorite thing was? Now, well, uh, you've How do I put it? How do I put it in? I should probably just say it? You? What's the what's the word? You've died? You're dead? Oh? Man?
Speaker 4: I knew, I know.
Speaker 1: I feel like such an idiot. I should have. No, it's my fault for Brian and asking you what things you like? I'm sorry. I just said life was my favorite.
Speaker 4: I just said, why did I tempt you? Feed? Am? I? No, I'm not dead? You dad dead? You can't be.
Speaker 3: Just had a nice meal and I went to bed. I've been I've been doing this new. I've been doing this new. I've been like cooking a lot.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: So like I've been like working on these recipes and so I've been like doing a lot and I've been trying to eat lean me. So I did like the other day, I did uh, like a tune of tartar and it was like really nice.
Speaker 4: You just you just like dice it up and then you can like put it over like rice or like whatever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: That was nice. And the next day I did like this beef tartar and I was like, oh, this is kind of spicy. You know.
Speaker 3: It took a really nice wagu beef and the diced it up really good, and then you it was scary.
Speaker 4: It's like you don't cook it. So that's like fun. So like meat is really good. You know, it should be good.
Speaker 3: And so then like yesterday or last night, I guess it was. I was like, well, you know, these two things are good. Like you know what I what I like to do.
Speaker 4: I call it land syne Sky, so I do you know, uh my my sea is like a fish.
Speaker 3: My land is like a meat, and I do sky, which is like a bird. So I was like, oh, I'll do chicken tartar. So I made uh so I just like skin this, uh this I took the skin off of this chicken breast was like nice up, real nice. I made it's like a real nice case of it, and then you know, put salt on it, you know, but light touch. You know, it's all about the season, and you don't want to not over don't want to overdo it, don't want to underdo it.
Speaker 4: And then laid it over this bed.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're an under road ticket.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, exactly, just want you want to be just right.
Speaker 3: So like no oven in my assuming that the room temperature is going to bring it to like a healthy level. So I left it out outside so we could like get that like sort of like room temperature. And then I ate it and I went to bed.
Speaker 1: I think I think I have poisoned yourself with with row chicken. That's what I did in it, That is what I did.
Speaker 4: I think i'd a raamed gun.
Speaker 1: I think frames emphasis doesn't cook it enough. And I don't know a lot about I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I guess I don't either.
Speaker 1: Here I am well okay, well, yeah, well you tried something, and that's the main thing.
Speaker 4: Can you get somebody to erase my computer?
Speaker 1: It's so blood I looked at everything.
Speaker 3: Okay, good good, toss it out.
Speaker 1: What do you worry about death?
Speaker 4: I do? I do?
Speaker 3: I think about it and like what what happens? You know, or like what doesn't happen? Because like the like this idea, like the input stop reading, you know, so like you don't see anthing, you don't feel anything, you don't hear anything. Then like what is there to receive any inputs? But then like at the same time, and like what am I doing right now? And then what's the difference? You know, think about it all the time?
Speaker 1: Right? Oh good? Do you have anything? What happens after we're do inputs and outputs?
Speaker 3: I mean my theory is that it's just nothing, you know what I mean, Like like SEUs this to be and then like if there is like some sort of furial sort of consciousness, it's unaware of itself as being this, and then it just moves on to like another thing, but it's unaware of what this was or what it will be, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So I mean in that way, I guess comforting, but not really because like I like this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you think it's like pure nothingness, That's what I think. Oh, this talk of AI and I've been reading a lot and listening to a lot of scary podcasts that tell me we're already dead. Yeah. My question, My question is if we're already computer programs we think, we think stuff though, right.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So if so, I still can't can't compute nothing this because in your nothingness, wouldn't you experience nothing this?
Speaker 3: Therefore I don't think so there's nothing to experience, and like there's nothing to experience than those nothings. I always think about also, like oh, you know, you put your consciousness in a computer, you know, or whatever, but like there's got to be some point where you stop being there and then like this thing takes over without the actual memories you have.
Speaker 4: So this entity isn't me.
Speaker 3: It's something that is affects simile and it has like you know, data of me and like what my my memories were, But it's not me because I could then exist and look at this thing. Therefore I am separate from it, you know what I mean? So I think about that often. So the idea is just to prolong my life with the robotics, but then never turn off the brain.
Speaker 4: Keep the brain, keep the brain.
Speaker 1: So just keep replacing limbs and skin and skull. Keep the brain, so the brain get the brain.
Speaker 5: Cut with it like fresh, exactly exactly keep going.
Speaker 1: And you think that the only thing that's gonna waver the brain is the stuff around it with it.
Speaker 3: So I think we're gonna find some sort of like good juice for a brain to be in. There's like a forever juice that brain can live. And even if it's like a Wi Fi, so like it's sits somewhere very safe.
Speaker 4: I've never thought about this before, but now I'm like coming on that idea.
Speaker 3: The brain sits in like a you know, like a storage warehouse, and if you're really rich, it's like a very nice one and it's like perfectly controlled.
Speaker 4: And then like be a Wi.
Speaker 3: Fi, it beams your stuff to your robot body so you're you know, it's safe so you can't be.
Speaker 5: Destroyed, you know, and western house, so your ribbo buddy is like your perfect buddy, looks like you, perfect you.
Speaker 1: And then if you get lined up, just making you rubber buddy that looks perfect.
Speaker 3: Just making me robot body. Yeah, and hopefully residuals are working so I can afford it.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, Yeah, after this strike. I think you'll be fine if we're not, If we're not AI already, which I've now started. I've listened to the Cybery podcasts. That's the way telling me that we're already dead that now I'm like, we are.
Speaker 4: I mean maybe were?
Speaker 3: I play a lot of I play a lot, I do a lot of gaming, you know, and then you sort of watch how the sort of program responses in some of these like AI figures and characters are and you're like, oh, and then you sort of build the world out. You're able to build these these like sort of simulated universes and worlds like oh, that's probably not too hard to do if you have like advanced advanced advanced programming. Like I'm like, oh, I think this, but it's such a program that's like the program is that I think this, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like I what is the you know?
Speaker 3: Like like my programming is to say that, oh, I feel like this way, and like another sub category of my programming is to like make me.
Speaker 4: Feel that that's what it is.
Speaker 1: But am I this relates to films, which I guess at some point we're gonna have to talk about it.
Speaker 4: Oh, sure, as.
Speaker 1: Much as I before we started this, I said, is the other thing you want to talk about? What I think I've been thinking in relations to film, because I have been thinking a lot about this AI and whether it's a worry or not. And you know this thing of like writers, you know, were all this strikes going on, and everyone's worried about AI. And I have looked at the AI thing and I've said, write me a scripts, write me a ted lasts a script, and it's dreadful. It's dreadful. And I read it and I go, this is no good. This isn't a worry to me. But I think artists, let's use the word I rarely do, but let's use it for now, artists versus AI. Right, that there's this lovely dream we have that AI can't do what we do because AI doesn't have feelings and thoughts and random whatever, and people will connect to us in a way they won't with AI. I don't know if that's true. I like to think that's true. I don't know if it's true, because then I go, maybe it isn't. Maybe an AI can learn enough and replicate it and no one will a no. But here's my point, when I watch a film with CGI in it. I still to this day I believe, and I could be wrong because maybe I've seen some excellent cgo that I didn't realize what CGI. But when I watch stuff like King Kong Peter Jackson's King Kong, I think it's very well made and he's an excellent filmmaker. I don't believe for a second that King Kong is there because he's not there because he's a computer. Do you know what I mean? Like there's some disconnectsolutely between the actual King Kong and Themie Watts. They're both doing good things, but in my soul, I know he's not there because he's because he's a computer, do you know what I mean? There's exactly like there's a part of me that goes. I don't think I've ever been scared by a CGI thing on camera. When I think about Jurassic Park, the original, you go, the scary bits are when the creature, the puppet creature, he comes in that is real, that is physically there. When you see his giant foot, that is physically there. That's the scary bit. The bits where it's CGI aren't scary. I don't think I could be wrong but I feel like person versus computed subconsciously we feel, oh I do. I don't know if I can speak for everyone, but you know what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I think I think we do, but like we we sort of in order to enjoy we like do that illusion of sort of like you will let yourself try and believe that it is because you're like, oh, what's.
Speaker 4: The story here?
Speaker 1: This is?
Speaker 4: This is this thing in the story.
Speaker 3: But ain't I think if you just have and like look at you're like, oh, well, I know that's computed and what it's supposed to do is like elicit the idea in my head and man like that, I gets to try and get as.
Speaker 4: Close to being real as it can be.
Speaker 3: Like I'm a raachnophobic, so I can't look at even CGI spiders because then they make me think of real spiders.
Speaker 1: All right, CG spider scary, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they messed me up because I'm like, the movement is real enough, and like as long as I can see that and my brain even I'm like, I know, I'm like, look at computer, but it makes me think of what a real spider does.
Speaker 4: And now I'm thinking about spiders and so, but.
Speaker 3: I think like with like the it's true, like the scariest parts of the Jurassic Park are when it's the puppet versus the thing, because like I think, we are also able to pick up on like the subtle like things that are in space, whether you know, even to like everybodys looking at something empty.
Speaker 4: Even the best actors are.
Speaker 3: Still like looking at something empty, they say, Brendan Fraser is sent right. You can yeah, you can sense it, and you're like, oh, well, there's nothing actually taking up space there, So you're like looking at a point. But in reality you're probably be looking at many things on this thing, you know what I mean. But you're like looking at its eyes because's where the tennis ball is. But like in reality, like if it's a ten foot you're a fifty foot dinosaur, you're probably like looking at all it and then like when it makes that movement, you're doing that, but like you have to predict it and then like the and program the other thing to either match it or you're just like looking at this when it's going there.
Speaker 4: I don't know how far out we are from like that not being the thing.
Speaker 3: Maybe as programs can then see where our eyes are looking.
Speaker 4: In the program. Something at the other end of that, like eye tracking. I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know what we're you gonna say about, Oh, the sat Britain Fraser. The reason he did so many like CGI movies. You know, he was like in that Looney Tunes movie, and he was in like Monkey Bone.
Speaker 4: And other movies like that. It's because he's like the best and the Mummy movies.
Speaker 3: It's because he's the best at interacting with things that aren't there. He's like the best at it. So because like he's like like if anybody's the most convincing, it's him at like like, oh that thing is there, when everybody else is like he's.
Speaker 4: Like I'm gonna I don't remember the lines of many of his movies. I'm gonna send you to Mummy.
Speaker 1: Hell.
Speaker 4: I think that's a line from the.
Speaker 3: Movie have you have you had a three D model of you done yet?
Speaker 1: Yeah? When you have to stand and get yes, uh huh. That's scary.
Speaker 4: That's scary, it really is.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, no, oh, I just thought the cameras aren't good enough. Good enough, They're like, what we still need you?
Speaker 1: Maybe neither of us are here yeah, I got news for you, buddy boy. You died a long time ago, making and now. But the good news is there's heaven, real heaven, and you are excited and everyone there is so excited to see you. And it's filled with your favorite thing. What was your favorite thing? It was living. It's filled with the living living living there so excited. Huge fans of all your stuff, huge fans of everything you've done and your life and your your heart and your body and your face. They love it. And what they but what they want to do. They want to talk about your life through film. I can't believe how long we've talked before getting to this. They want to talk about your three film We might have to pick the first film, they ask you. The last thing they want to know is what is the first film you remember seeing? Samrcisid It's a few things.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm trying to remember what the actual first thing is, because like Little Mermaid just came out, the new Little Mermaid, and I think that maybe the first movie I went to the theater in like eighty nine was a Little Mermaid. I remember going with my dad to see that movie. But then like, if it's not that I was like even was watching a movie on tape or something.
Speaker 4: It might have been The Land Before Time?
Speaker 1: What double bell?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean? Either one of those shots will kill you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jesus, I just loved them.
Speaker 1: I need child.
Speaker 4: I'm my mom's only.
Speaker 3: Child, my dad's fourth and separated by like fourteen years at least.
Speaker 1: Eh, shit with the huffs.
Speaker 4: Not super close that we do love each other, you know.
Speaker 1: I like the way you set that up. Sided You were just your mom's favorite, my mom's.
Speaker 4: Child, my mom. I'm the only one.
Speaker 1: The other. Did you see you went with your dad and you're right I did. That's breaking and beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, maybe I.
Speaker 1: Love that film so hard. What's the film that's scaredy the mice? Do you like being scaredy? You made of horror? For God's sake? Do you like it? I do? I really do.
Speaker 3: I mean I say, horror isn't like my super genre. I'm like, a new scared movie comes out and.
Speaker 1: I'm like, boys, roll up.
Speaker 3: However, my friends are like boys roll up, and I'm like, yeah, I'll go, let's do this. But a movie that scared me the most, there's two. One I was talking about before is a rachnophobia. Like I got actual recophobia from watching this movie. I was like, oh it sucked. I was.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was in Ghana as a as a kid. I was maybe about six years old and my I was watching a Recophobe with my cousin Julian, and it gets to the part where they're in the basement. Gran spider goes and I'm like oh sh and then my cousin goes and I get up and I run and like, So there's this house in Ghana, so like there's like a hall that's the living room leads to a hallway. On the other side of that wall is like a patio out there, patio area. Now hallway leads to the kitchen and on.
Speaker 4: That patio, that wall on the hallway with the patio.
Speaker 3: Is like these three windows, uh, and the throws some light on the patio. So I'm like running through that hallway and I stopped and I'm like okay, And then like my back is against the wall with the windows, and I look at the wall. Its white wall, and they're like a bat symbol is like this sort of shadow of this spider. And I look and there's a spider like this big right by my face. I even like, right now, I got this bumps even talking bad goose bumps, you know. So that's that's that's real rack noophobia. And the other one, uh was.
Speaker 1: How to Rectify? How to you guys?
Speaker 4: Exactly straight up.
Speaker 1: Like how to have.
Speaker 3: My My dad rented this movie from a trade wind video and uh the movie was called Armageddon and it was as a documentary. So this movie came out way before the movie uh with with I don't want to miss a thing, you know the Bruce Willis masterpiece, but Ben Affleck live Tyler, you know, so this is this movie is a documentary about like way is the world can end? And I remember my fantie Letitia, whose house I was in in Ghana, was in Detroit visiting and we were got this video to watch and I remember I was I didn't know what Arma getting man, So I was just like making fun of the name, and I was like, I'm getting home. That was a song arm Getting Home. And I was like, this is very funny. He's laughing I'm getting home. And we sat down and watched the movie and there were so many images of like this total annihilation, like meteors hitting the earth and like I was like, the jokes became fewer, and then I was just vexed and I couldn't sleep.
Speaker 1: Get it, I'm gonna get into bed. I'm getting no sleep. Oh wow, that's a fun family but oh yeah, traumatized. What about crying? That's the film that you cry? The vice do you cry cry?
Speaker 3: I you know, I cried, but like in odd and random times, you know, very unpredictable in ways. So I was, I was shooting the movie Mike and debut wedding dates in Hawaii and the movie Inside Out came out, and so we were like, let's go see this movie. Had like an off day, so we went to see Inside Out and I was I remember specifically saying, uh, just so you know, guys, I don't cry at movies.
Speaker 4: And so I sat down.
Speaker 3: And like literally the opening movie, you know, a little short, the Pixar short.
Speaker 4: Came on about like the volcanos, the lava.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm talking about that when it happened, and I started falling like full just like I was like, oh, oh no, okay. So the movie starts and like even just some music, Michael, I started to like well up a little bit, and I'm like uh oh, this movie's unlock something in me. And like throughout that whole movie, I am just tearing up and I'm crying because like the music, with the storytelling and at the very end or or like the even the middle like bing bong and like and.
Speaker 4: Where she's like talks through like like the idea of like the memory being this.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm crying that whole movie because I'm like, this movie is like the most emotionally educational movie sort of like it just teaches you, I mean, not kids, but people that like the sides of emotions, like not that everything has facets, you know. Like I love that lesson of like, you know, bad memories having good parts to them and good memories having bad parts of them. It's so real, so universal, I think, so educational, and I wept the whole time.
Speaker 1: We did it. I did a Films of the Decade special of this Year, and Inside Out was my greatest film with the decade. And I never want to say it again, but I think it's Yep, I think it's profound, I least one of the most profound films i've I think it's incredible.
Speaker 4: It's I agree, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh it really is. It really is like life films, The Conchang Your Life. I would put that on the way up that list. Incredible, Yes, incredible. The pacing is brilliant in that movie. The music is amazing, and the story is and.
Speaker 3: It's like an adventure film that then pulls you along the whole time, and like you grow with these characters and then like anytime look at a thing, let's you see the different facets of a character, but like in a natural way where you're when it gets you're like, oh, I'm not going with you.
Speaker 4: You are me, you know, like.
Speaker 1: And just the the there's so much to the the thing about parenting, the fact that they kind of inadvertently sort of damage the girl by saying you'll be a brave girl for daddy sort of thing like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: When she when she didn't saying that, like she finally like like I'm not okay, Oh oh my goodness, ridiculous.
Speaker 1: What's the film that you love? People don't like it. It's not critically acclaimed, but you love it unconditionally. What is it?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: This movie is not critically I think it's not. I think it got like panned pretty hard. But do you remember the movie by Centennial Man.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's another fel that made me cry to death as a killer.
Speaker 4: It made me cry. I love that movie. I love that movie so much.
Speaker 1: Robin Williams Tour the Forest Man. It's a killer.
Speaker 3: It's a killer, And I think the movie got like panned and like, talk about this movie.
Speaker 4: I love it so much.
Speaker 1: Killers. That's the right button you cry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: Did we just undo the whole AI argument with.
Speaker 5: Mind no Dead We've been dead from Star Trek?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Fuck, I said it's such a good shot. I don't think that's ever come up on this show.
Speaker 4: Oh I love that movie.
Speaker 1: He makes the tit Jacks Chris Kalambers always.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he really does, he really does.
Speaker 1: What's the film that you used to love? You loved it, but you've watched it recently and you've got this is not for me anymore. You might have changed. The film might still be good, but you've changed.
Speaker 4: What is it I used to love?
Speaker 3: Or I just thought I used to love the movie Legend You know that.
Speaker 1: Tom Cruise, That's right.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, this movie is like this movie was doing like Lord of the Rings before anybody was doing Lord of the Rings, I was like, this movie is fantastic. I sat down to watch it like recently, and I was like, what is even happening? Get to Tim Curry and the giant double costume. That was like the best part of the whole thing. The make up on that truly amazing. But the movie surrounding it, God doo dooo.
Speaker 1: Is that really Scott?
Speaker 3: That's really Scott, isn't it? It's really Scott. So I might not work in films every again, but he's done better. He's done better.
Speaker 1: He's done better. You know what I think is one of his greats. All the money in the world, I've never seen that. I think it's one of his greats.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I will watch that.
Speaker 1: A really really good film and amazing that he Reshot Christopher plumbering it in like twelve days, so less than it's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I say, I still haven't seen it, but in twelve days right.
Speaker 1: And in such a way that you're like, I can't imagine this film with anyone else seamless. He's perfect for it. It's brilliant. What is the film that means the most to you, Sam Mitchison? Not the film itself, might be any good, but the experience you had around seeing the film will always make it important to you.
Speaker 3: It's a recent one in like says he would be mad at me, but it's Avengers Endgame.
Speaker 4: I buddy, I.
Speaker 3: I'm you know, I'm a Marvel fanatic and like comic books. And then mc U I was like, loved it, and every step of the ride, I was like, everything has a planned.
Speaker 1: I was like the whole time, I was like, this is hold on, this is another thing.
Speaker 3: And I remember I got knee surgery the day the movie was coming out, and so I was on Viking in and my buddy Mike, who we always go see these movies together. It was like, oh, she's probably not going. I'm like, no, man, we're going. So that same day, on crutches, we go to the Chinese theater and we watched that and every big reveal I'm looking loopy as hell. So I'm like, and I'm talking about I've never had a bigger experience like because like they like like the landing of the plane on that was so phenomenal, and like every character You're like, I love this.
Speaker 4: Moment.
Speaker 3: It's like it's it's the best case scenario for what a trillion dollar movie franchise can and that that that phase could end with that that's like a very important thing. I go back and I watch the portals scene often, but I watch it with the audience reaction on YouTube, and it always like it's.
Speaker 1: Like truly, like it really magical. That is really it really.
Speaker 3: Is you know, oh, cheering, it's like gives you goose bumps.
Speaker 4: It's like truly a mutal experience.
Speaker 1: It's it's an incredible achievement. And I always wonder about the reality of I assume I haven't looked into it my start boy and I, but like without spoiling the big post scene, the moving scene, like yeah, was everyone there?
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't believe they were.
Speaker 4: Again, nobody's looking at each other. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's the hell of a lineup, and you're like, come, god, imagine it open and ever.
Speaker 3: Just the amount of assistance that would have to do there, and just all the single banger trailers, just as far as too many trailers.
Speaker 5: You'll do it, line, my lord, just build a Starbucks. At that point, what is the film you must relate to?
Speaker 1: Sam Richardson, That is a good question.
Speaker 3: So I always kind of relate to sort of a person in a different world than they come from. Collect Growing up, I was, I grew up between Ghanda and Detroit. I always felt like I was never you know, I was never fully American.
Speaker 1: How much were you in? God? That was it like six months? Six months?
Speaker 3: It was like three months, nine months, and then vice versa. So it was like kind of even spent for a first and second grade. It was I was just in Ghana. And then you know, up until high schools, maybe i'd go for like two months and then come back and then go front three months and then come back.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. Fits in the summers there you still got random not nearly as well.
Speaker 3: Last time I was back, I went with Porn O'Brien and that was like four years ago. So hopefully I'm going to go back. I mean, I want to go back this year, but we'll see if that can happen. I always, as a kid like identified with like Superman in that so like and so the movie Superman like sort of like this idea like being from like these two different worlds and like one gives you abilities with the other, and like not knowing what that really was. I just always so I would always wear Superman pajamas and like I'd be Superman for Halloween, and I would always like just like sold about Superman. And so the Superman movie, it's like the our Superman movies are just incredible bits of cinema just in storytelling. I didn't even realize how good they were until I got older and rewatched them, but I would watch them a lot. But I just identify with like this idea of like Clark Kent having this thing that or Superman having this side of it like this that's sort of like the duality of this person who is like also just trying to like be good and do a like be good.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I kind of always identified with that, and you know, like I was a big Jesus complex.
Speaker 1: So Superman question for you, are you Superman in Ghana or in Detroit? Where are you Superman? And where are your Clark?
Speaker 3: Can I'm Superman in Detroit because maybe when I was younger, though, I think I was Superman in Ghana because I had all the American stuff, so like being American so cool, you know, so I was like, oh, yeah, I'm hip, I got all the music. But now that's not currency. You know what I mean, So you know interesting, what is?
Speaker 1: Oh God, Sam, here we go. Oh God ready, I'm ready, buss God, I can't believe it. Here we go. Oh God, what's the sexiest we've ever saying times his head.
Speaker 3: So God, Oh but I'm dead and I'm blushing. I was like, just bright, bright purple cheeks of blush. That could be, you know, also just to be Saminola, I'm gonna say, because like not, it's not a movie that like has a lot.
Speaker 4: Of sex in it, but just everybody in it.
Speaker 3: It's so sexy and like it's just like a very sexy you know, the movie Mister and Missus Smith.
Speaker 1: Fuck it, that is the sexiest.
Speaker 4: Fuck It's sexy from top to bottom.
Speaker 3: There are sex pots at the height of their sexy game and just being sexy with each other.
Speaker 1: That movie sexy, sexy, sexy, pill sexy, pire sex from start to finish.
Speaker 3: Even though when you're to be like boring, I'm like, yeah, sexy, even when you're like I'm like, man, sexy, funny.
Speaker 1: Daddy, you could funny daddy. Oh live of me.
Speaker 3: Wherever you want, buddy Daddy away.
Speaker 1: What is there's a sub category troubling band is worrying. Why don't the film you found arousing you weren't sure you should? What is it?
Speaker 3: So there's a movie called I'm Gonna Get You Sucker film right, it's so funny, it's a great film. Used to watch a movie ALA as a kid. And then there's a scene where.
Speaker 1: I think he's like, you know, he's like with the woman.
Speaker 3: She like starts to take off, like she takes off her eyelashes, she takes up her her fake leg and I'm like, whoa her butt?
Speaker 4: And I remember seeing that button. I was like, that's sexy. I love that butt.
Speaker 3: I don't know what to do with the butt just yet, but I know that's a sexy little butt on the floor.
Speaker 4: Is that how sex is done?
Speaker 1: So troubling?
Speaker 4: Troubling early boners?
Speaker 1: That's about a floabo that is a traveling by It just the dis buddy flowbot.
Speaker 4: You know, it's the epitome of unnatural you would have with that flow.
Speaker 1: What is objectively the greatest fela all time? Why don't be your favorite? But it's the greatest.
Speaker 3: I'm going to jump between two answers here because one is like a more recent movie, and then one I feel is like probably a common one that you probably hear a lot, So that's well, I'll like so the common one, I'll say Good Fellas because it's truly, like the top to bottom, the great movie. It's the best. It is the best film even from the beginning, like that track and shot, it'll set you up for the whole world and introducing these characters and like the just the best film period.
Speaker 4: And then the other movie I'll say is Once upon a Time in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know, I agree, But the movie's pretty phenomenal, pretty phenomenal.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty phenomenal film. Why objectively the grits is that one?
Speaker 3: I think it follows like that that's sort of like storytelling. Well, okay, it's hard because I want to say a Tarantino movie because I feel like the way he does things, and I would have said in Glorious Bastards, but because like of like watching when you watch that movie over and over again, there's there's so many layers to it, which I'm like, it's a puzzle, but it's not an arduous one. I feel the same thing happens with Once upon a Time. But the performances are so brilliant that it does the same things, but like with tightened performance, you know, I mean, there's there's not as much app so it's a more close story and sort of like it's one where you go back and you find the pieces. But I think it's it's a bunch of people at the top of their game making great content.
Speaker 1: God, I'm giving you good Fellaws. Good Fellas is probably the great.
Speaker 4: Good Fella's is my true answer, is my true answer.
Speaker 3: But I want to I want to keep the love going for once my time in Hollywood so that people put it in that that category because you know, maybe as we learn more about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really liked the book, the book you write. I'm sure you've read it.
Speaker 3: I just got the book. I haven't read literally just got it.
Speaker 1: It's it's wonderfully entertaining.
Speaker 4: It's you want out of a book. You know, what is the.
Speaker 1: Film you could or have watched? The Lights, Ivor and Iver Again.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I keep on hearing with these multi answers, but uh, well, one would be the Ninja Turtle's motion picture, the nineteen ninety one. Yes, the original. I've watched that movie a thousand times. Dark and good, but like really good until you go back as an adult, You're like, oh, this is this.
Speaker 1: Is actually a story. It's a good movie.
Speaker 3: And these these turtles are real again no, cgi, these.
Speaker 4: Are real turtles. So like they take up space and I'm like, I feel them, I know them.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: While they're fighting in.
Speaker 3: The it seems heavy, but then they seem able to like move in the world. If you try to pick them up, sure, hard, but if they try to do a backfoot, they can do it because they have.
Speaker 1: The turtles and ninjas. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that another movie that.
Speaker 3: Was like in my top top, like I watched a movie a thousand times, Adventures of Baron Munchausen.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, what if?
Speaker 4: I love that movie so much.
Speaker 3: It's such a great, fun, brilliant movie. There it's it's in like a trio of three movies, right, Terry Gilliams, he did three movies. They're apparently like supposed to be like each they're a set. It's Time Bandits Brazil and the Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and it's supposed to be like imagination in youth, imagination middle age and age. So like I'd always just like watched this movie because it was so the spectacle of that movie. First off was like my mind breaking up, like what a world this is, and like sort of like the relation to time as well. Then he has or he's telling the story, but then he's like in this and he's going in this world and he's going to you know, be with the festus, you know, or or like like Robin Williams as the heads and his wife is God's another sexy move where like he's having their heads are.
Speaker 4: Separate but they're they're making nookie. You know, I just moved. I think the movie is so brilliant and so funny, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what it's never come up best film, right.
Speaker 3: With Thurman's first film and that sequence. Venus is Venus. There's so's the soundtrack. I listened to the soundtrack over here and there. It's like there's like a waltz they do and they're they're dancing and they're like they start dancing so romantic that they are floating in the sky and the music that plays is just so grand and like a beautiful waltz. I think I think about that all the Time's first movie. She's presented like the the like an oyster, you know. Yeah, it's the it's the image of who in Michelangelo that with the uh where it's what is It's not aphrodity, it is the Roman equivalent of aphrodity, Venus. It's it's venus, you know, and maybe pause the image for a second. It's like a perfect fac simile of the painting.
Speaker 1: Wow, I need to that again. Excellent now some reason, you know a negative person celested this fairly quick? What's the worst filmy? Who? Old? Oh?
Speaker 4: The Shaman movie movie? Is?
Speaker 1: I like, you like old? You know what I'm going to say it. I think, oh, here's my view, and I think it's the first draft and he just shut it. I agree, and I think made amazing ideas. And if a couple more drafts and sort of fit them together slightly better, it would be a five star. Yes, but I think he went, let's shoot it.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's like if you have a Mercedes Benz and you didn't put the engine in there, right, it's not a great car.
Speaker 4: Got to fix the wheels and the tires.
Speaker 1: I like it. It's it's got it's got enough ive days in't it. And I'm like, wow, fair enough.
Speaker 4: I think you made the movie, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And your the ideas are there, but things so you're like, oh, what could have been?
Speaker 4: That could have been.
Speaker 3: The best movie. I'm watching that movie and I'm like, how.
Speaker 1: No, No, I love it. It's great. Now you're in comedy. You're in loads of comedies. You're also in my current favorite comedy show. It's on TV that I love so much. If any of you haven't seen it, I think you should leave. I love it so much that I can't like believe it. I think I sometimes watch it like I can't believe this exists. It's so funny. And I also watch it. Joe Kelly, you're detroit to create it and good friends and Specify a co creator on Ted Lessa. He and I were working together when it came out the new season and he watched it all in one night and he said the next money, I have you watched it all? And I was like, no, I've only watched too because I don't want to blow it all in one I love it so much. I want to like savor it.
Speaker 4: I love it so much, but I mean part of the joy is to rewatch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's better every time you watch it. I have like top five sketches and I think think number one may be Little Buff Boys, The Little Buff Boys, which is you at the very top of your guy. Fuck me every single line, every moment, Why you drink water, why you get mad at the guy for picking the wrong kid. Ah. If anyone that's not watched, please watch. I think you should leave. There's I don't think there's anything ever ever funnier.
Speaker 3: Maybe ever it's I mean I objectively, I say, you're correct.
Speaker 1: It is right. It's the funniest thing of all time.
Speaker 3: It's it's why it's it's so unique too, like like sketches, not unique, but like sort of like what it does and it just gets there directly and like does that and like it follows it's its own sort of like uh theory and like does that so well? I uh, it's true, it truly is really really.
Speaker 1: But there's something magical. And then maybe this isn't for everyone. But like I don't know, Tim Robberts, and you're a good friend, but I I feel like so many of the sketches, I'm like, I totally even though it's surreal and it goes off in such a serial direction. I go, I know what you're talking about. I know where this came from I Feel you the zip lining sketch in the new season. I'm like, one, und I get that one hundred percent. I know exactly what you mean. That's what I would be doing. And it seems like the zip line, Yeah, it sounds seems like such a sort of surreal idea, but I go, it's come from him going, I fucking love zip lines. But you know exactly what's the observation is so true. It's like, yeah, ziplines are the best thing anyway.
Speaker 4: If something like that is there, why wouldn't you want.
Speaker 1: To get that? You know? Anyway? You love him right you? You love each other, mate, and we love each other too much.
Speaker 3: We're best best best friends.
Speaker 1: Love to hear it. So saying all that, knowing that you one of the funniests and involved in the funniest, I know, the funniest everything you've done. And he said all of that, what's the film that made you love the mist? Sam Richard said.
Speaker 3: I watched this movie all the time. Still The Harlem Knights is maybe my favorite comedy of all time. It's the top to bottom so funny. Eddie Murphy is like he's able to be charming lead man and still so funny knock him out part. It was hard to do because he's playing straight man or like what, I don't know that's he's playing.
Speaker 1: He's playing the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the straight guy. You know, he's the straight guy. But like still even to knock these things out of park and then like surrounded by like Red Fox and Delaries, Richard Pryor, you know, like, well the wall.
Speaker 4: Everybody is so good at it, it's insane.
Speaker 1: It's very very good. That's a good Listen. He's put up a lot of stuff that hasn't been said on this show. So Samriicharson, you have been wonderful, wonderful. This is great, this soul's great. However, you was cooking. You remember you was cooking. You were trying things. You know what. You hadn't had a TV for four days. You've gone mad. You were like, it's time to cook. You made tuna tata. You made steak tatar. The obvious next move chicken tatar. You put your your raw chicken, you chopped out nice and fine, and you let it cooked room temperature. You left it out overnight, not just room temperature, but filled with bugs. And then the next morning you said, I'll take a little taste to this, this little masterpiece. You had a little spoonful and you went about your day. He said, say that, my grandfather's going to love that. Later he said, he said, I won't even put it in the fridge. I'll leave it outwits at the right temperature. You went for a walk and you were walking through the grove listening to Tony Bennett, and just as one of those fountains went off, you fell to the floor, clutching your stomach, and people went, is that Sam Richardson off the telly and the films and the cruise ships. You went, yes, and your stomach and you were in terrible pain. It's very sad. People were going, I can I have a selfie? You're going, but I think it made the chicken and people taking people lying on the floor next you taking sandwiches, and you said, it's one to meet what could you call an ambulance. And then a guy he's so funny, he's doing bits, He's always doing bits, and he was like, no. I think they were like what someone said, where women should have been on the big screen? And you went, I didn't even get to see it on the big screen. And then and they said I'm so glad I got to meet you, and you said, well, thank guys, fasters, and then you die. And then I was walking past the coffin, you know, I'm like wandering around them all, and I go, is that bloody Sam Richardson with loads of people taking sandwiches with his corpse And they go yeah, and I move away. You you voked? And I go there and I get bloody. And the thing is because of the flesh eating bugs from the chicken, Tata, your stomach has grown twelve sizes. It's enough filled with bugs. I say to one of these people that go, have you got an axe? And one of them goes, yeah, always, I go, can I borrow it? Get the acts to start chopping you up, chopping you up, chopping you up, chopping up. People start screaming as still some people taking selwies. Okay, stop taking selwies. Help me out. Someone else got that yesterday. Three acts. I get three acts of people chopping up, chopping up anyway, scream scrape together. You know, I look like Tata. I've got Sam Tatar. I put you in the coffin, ram you in there. But there's more of you than I was expecting. The coffin's absolutely full. There's only enough room in the sam Tanta for me to slide one DVD in the side of the coffin for you to take across to the other side. And when you get there, it's movie night every night. What film are you taking to show the living when it is your movie night? Sam Richardson in Heaven.
Speaker 4: Oh my good this that's exactly what happened too. I remember I'm going to toss Tombstone in there.
Speaker 1: Yes, why wouldn't you. It's a wonderful film. It's a wonderful film.
Speaker 4: It's got everything you need, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's historically accurate, it's got performance from from Valcilmar.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I heard.
Speaker 3: It's all transcripted, and they were just like what I remember hearing. The director was like, let's just put the words up.
Speaker 1: Bites it verbatim, you know what I mean? And proofs in the Pudding.
Speaker 4: Movie. I could watch every day of my after life.
Speaker 1: Wonderful film. Summerton is the anything you would like to tell people to watch to listen to coming up for you?
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, I would really love it if people watched The After Party. Season two comes out July twelve too, and like, go back and watch is there season twosules? You know, wat, I think you leave watch them twice? Making nice. I think you should leave on Netflix, you know.
Speaker 1: And yeah, just find me out there.
Speaker 4: I'm out there. I'm living.
Speaker 1: It's very accessible. He's always at the grist.
Speaker 4: Him.
Speaker 1: He's lovely unless your your TV salesman.
Speaker 3: And then watch out, you fucking watch turn the hammer on, going to go right now?
Speaker 4: And my deal with this man?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, good luck.
Speaker 4: Instruments of war behind me.
Speaker 1: Savage, and thank you for your time and for your brilliant brilliants. I hope to see you in real life saying I have a wonderful at the TV shop. Good, thank you so much. So. That was episode two hundred fifty three. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forwards. Last Brett Goldstein for the extra twenty minutes of chat, secrets and video with Sam. Remember to watch Shrinking and Ted Lasso on Apple TV Plus. Go to Apple Podcast. Give us a five style rating. But right about the film that means the most to you and why it's a nice thing to read. My neighbor Marien loves it always Masa cry and it's really appreciated. Thank you very much, Thank you so much for listening. Thank you to Sam for giving me his time. Thanks to Scruby's picking the distraction pieces of network. Thanks the Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to adding Bridgeston for the graphics and needs to light them for the photography. Come and join me next week. An absolute banger coming up. I hope you're all well. Thank you for listening. That is it for now. In the meantime, have a lovely week, and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each others.
Speaker 3: Back back by the bast back colors, USA bys and sacks by the back back toos out backs, back back by base back Tolosa by back back back back